PDA

View Full Version : AFC North Preview

Bengals1690
05-09-2007, 10:15 AM
AFC North Preview

Passing Game-
1. Cincinnati Bengals- The Cincinnati Bengals have one of the top 3 quarterbacks in the league in Carson Palmer. They also have one of the top receivers in Chad Johnson, and a great possession guy in TJ Houshmanzadeh. Even with Chris Henry out, the Bengals have the top passing game in the AFC North.
2. Cleveland Browns- This may shock some people, but the Browns have the 2nd best passing game in the AFC North. Charlie Frye is disappointing, but he has all the weapons to be successful. Braylon Edwards, Joe Jurevicious, and Kellen Winslow are a great group for Charlie to throw to. Brady Quinn is also waiting in the wings to be his successor.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers- The Steelers are looking to rebound from a disappointing season last year. They have a decent passing game. Ben Roethlisberger is a good quarterback, but he lacks weapons. Hines Ward is consistent, but the rest of the receiving corps has to pick up some of the slack. If Santonio Holmes develops into a more legitimate deep threat, this teamís passing game will be a force. If not, then it will be there downfall.
4. Baltimore Ravens- If the Ravens have a weakness, itís in there passing attack. Steve McNair is the perfect type of quarterback for the Ravens. He wonít make many mistakes, but he wonít light up any score boards either. He doesnít have any top receivers either; his best target is TE Todd Heap. The Ravens are a run first team, and their passing game reflects that/

Rushing Attack
1. Baltimore Ravens- The Ravens picked up stud running back Willis McGahee from the bills, and revamped their offensive line with the draft. Barring a major injury, there is no way this team does not have the best running game in the AFC North, they may have one of the best in all of football.
2. Cincinnati Bengals- The depth of Cincinnatiís running attack sets them apart from the lower half of the division. Rudi Johnson is a workhorse, but they also have change of pace backs like Chris Perry, Kenny Watson, and rookie Kenny Irons.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers- Willie Parker had a great season last year, and is a stud NFL running back. But there is no depth behind him. Najeh Davenport isnít explosive enough to be the Jerome Bettis-type pile mover that they missed last season. They are playing behind a solid but aging offensive line. But if Parker is injured, this team is in deep trouble.
4. Cleveland Browns- Reuben Droughns wasnít very successful last year, so they brought in Jamaal Lewis. Trouble is, Jamaal wasnít successful last year either. I doubt he will rebound from his recent struggles with the Browns behind a offensive line that is in shambles.

Overall Offense
1. Cincinnati Bengals- The Bengals have one of the top offenses in the NFL.
2. Baltimore Ravens- Baltimore may lack in the passing department, but their revamped rushing attack should pick up on the slack.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers- The Steelers arenít hurting in too many areas, but nobody on offense really scares you other than Willie Parker.
4. Cleveland Browns- The Browns have one of the worst rushing attacks and offensive lines in the country.

Front Seven
1. Baltimore Ravens- The Ravens have arguably one of the best front sevens is the country. Ray Lewis is aging but is still a top NFL MLB. Terrell Suggs is a young stud OLB. Bart Scott, Haloti Ngata, and Trevor Pryce also are above average. The loss of Adaluis Thomas undoubtedly huirst, but the Ravens still have enough talent to make up for it.
2. Pittsburgh Steelers- Pittsburghís being ranked this high has less to do with their own goodness and more to do with the divisionís weakness. Their 34 defense was great, but it lost its star pass rusher in Joey Porter. Farrior and Larry Foote are still solid, but the Steelers front seven isnít looking as scary as it usually has this time of year.
3. Cincinnati Bengals- The Bengals front seven improved last season, and things are slowly looking up. LB Ahmad Brooks looks to be solid, Domata Peko is only getting better, and they have one of the best pairs of DEís in the country with Justin Smith and Robert Geathers. Their lack of stud linebakers hurts though.
4. Cleveland Browns- Kameiron Wimbley, Andra Davis, and Willie McGinest should be solid, but no one else on the front seven really will scare anybody. Cleveland did little to improve its pass rush in the draft, and it will still be one of the teamís Achilles Heels.

Secondary
1. Baltimore Ravens- McAlister, Rolle, Reed, and Landry might just be the best secondary in the nation. Reed is a playmaking ballhawk, and Mcalister is a top 3 CB in the country. The other two guys arenít two shabby either, and they have another rising star in the secondary in fifth round steal Dawan Landry.
2. Cincinnati Bengals- Jonathon Joseph can stick on receivers like glue, even if he plays patty cake with balls in the air. Deltha Oneal is solid, but Leon Hall should have the starting job by the end of the season. Madieu Williams is one of the most underated players in the game. Dexter Jackson is a question mark, and I excpect Marvin White to take over his job by mid season
3. Pittsburgh Steelers- Ike Taylor was disappointing, but if returns to his 2005 form, this teams secondary will be a force. I donít see that happening though. The only thing that prevents this team from being last is Troy Polamalu, who, when healthy is a top 5 safety in this league.
4. Cleveland Browns- The Browns have one of the games best kept secrets in safety Sean Jones, who racked up over 100 tackles. But the oft injured Leigh Bodden leaves this team hanging up to dry. He is like Mark Prior, he has the potential to be great but he canít seem to stay healthy. This team could have a great secondary, and Eric Wright is promising, but tooo many things have to happen for them to be solid.

Overall Defense-
1. Baltimore Ravens- Organized Chaos is easily they best defense in the division.
2. Cincinnati Bengals- The Bengals have promising stars at every position, but the question remains if they can play up to their potential.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers- The Steelerís defense pales in comparison to the Super Bowl teamís of 2005.
4. Cleveland Browns- No way this teamís defensive questions all get positive answers.

Final Predictions
1 Cincinnati Bengals- 11-5
2. Baltimore Ravens- 11-5
3. Cleveland Brown-6-10
4. Pittsburgh Steelers- 6-10

getbackcoach
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Good analysis. With our easy 2nd half schedule, 11-5 is likely, and 12-4 isn't out of the question.

I think Baltimore's lack of passing attack will really hurt them this year, while their defense is another year older and without Adalius Thomas.

Pittsburgh has a new coach, few offensive playmakers, a secondary that is worse than ours, and I think we saw Roethlisberger's true colors last year.

Cleveland has a lot of young talent, but this is clearly not their year.

You have to feel good about the Bengal's chances this year. If we can get the defense to play with some consistency, and to really hit their stride going into the playoffs, I don't see why we shouldn't be talking about a Superbowl appearance.

terribletowel39
05-09-2007, 04:02 PM
ok i'm not going to jump down your throat on some of these rankings but i will say that your Rushing Attack rankings are absurd. Willie Parker is top 5-7 RB in the NFL and the no depth thing is true for everyone of the teams in the NFC North. If Rudi goes down, yall do not have a back that can carry the full load same goes with the Ravens, McGahee goes down, who do they have?? BJ Sams?? there is no way the Steelers should be behind the Ravens or you guys. and i don't see how you can claim that yall have an overall better defense then the steelers when you were ranked LOWER than the browns in total defense last year?? i am trying to be that cool steelers fan you repped me for but those two are absolutely ridiculous.

757Dawg
05-09-2007, 04:16 PM
An offensive line that is in shambles? Yeah, okay.

Apparently Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach aren't playing this year. Or maybe you're just still steamed about losing Eric.

If you're going to do a legit breakdown, maybe get your facts straight.

Our DL is a big question mark, but hopefully Shaun Smith can provide stability at the nose.

You're grossly underrating our LB core. Kam Wimbley is already one of the premier pass rushers in the league and he just made the move to OLB last year. Inside we have Davis, D'Qwell Jackson, and Leon Williams (who played great when he was on the field last year and is probably the most talented of the three).

PalmerToCJ
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
The Bengals have Kenny Irons now to be our backup RB that is capable of handling the full load.

If Chris Perry comes back week 6 and contributes we easily have the best RB core in the division, HOWEVER, Perry is too big of a question mark and Irons is a rookie so I can take someone picking Pitt over us but despite Parker being the top RB in the division he's inconsistant and the Steelers lack depth at RB.

Shaun Smith is good when he wants to be, he's just too lazy and out of shape to be a big impact guy.

terribletowel39
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
first of all you can't say that Kenny Irons can handle a full NFL load when he hasn't even taken ONE snap in the NFL. he has never gone 16 games long. i love kenny irons cuz i have plenty of friends that go to Auburn but you can't be sure the he can carry an NFL load, not many RB's in the NFL can carry the full NFL load, hence why we see more two RB systems now.

and secondly, Willie Parker isn't incosistent. our O-line was inconsistent last year, not him.

PalmerToCJ
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
The Oline can't play away games then because he could only put together his big games at home.

Irons is more of a guy to carry the load than Chris Perry is, that's a fact. Like I said since he's a rookie it's hard to base much off of it and ranking Pitt vs. Cincy in RB's is really subjective and I can easily understand someone ranking Pitt over us, I do feel our run offense should be improved by a decent amount next year given the fact that Rudi won't have to carry the load alone.

terribletowel39
05-09-2007, 06:01 PM
i do agree that Irons appears more capable of carrying the load than Perry does, i just thought it odd that you could go ahead and say he could with out hesitation.

Bengals1690
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
An offensive line that is in shambles? Yeah, okay.

Apparently Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach aren't playing this year. Or maybe you're just still steamed about losing Eric.

If you're going to do a legit breakdown, maybe get your facts straight.

Our DL is a big question mark, but hopefully Shaun Smith can provide stability at the nose.

You're grossly underrating our LB core. Kam Wimbley is already one of the premier pass rushers in the league and he just made the move to OLB last year. Inside we have Davis, D'Qwell Jackson, and Leon Williams (who played great when he was on the field last year and is probably the most talented of the three).

yes it is, which explains your entire lack of offense in the whole existence of the franchise.

J24
05-14-2007, 12:20 AM
first of all you can't say that Kenny Irons can handle a full NFL load when he hasn't even taken ONE snap in the NFL. he has never gone 16 games long. i love kenny irons cuz i have plenty of friends that go to Auburn but you can't be sure the he can carry an NFL load, not many RB's in the NFL can carry the full NFL load, hence why we see more two RB systems now.

and secondly, Willie Parker isn't incosistent. our O-line was inconsistent last year, not him.

How is Willie Parker better than Rudi Johnson and what happens if willie goes down with a season ending injury is kevin Barlow all the sudden going to carry the load on your team. My point is unless you are in an offense with two premier backs such as New orlearns if your starter goes down then your are screwed.

secondly I agree with you on pittsburg deffense they are alot better than the bengals although the loss of Porter is going to be hard to replace.

thirdly- to the browns fan who actually thinks his team has a chance at winning this year wtf are you thinking. we shut you your offense out last year the 31st or 32nd deffense shut you guys out last season nuff said. Quinn is going to choke in THe NFL like he Chocked at Notre Dame he is not going to amount to anything in the NFL.

Mr. Stiller
05-14-2007, 01:11 AM
AFC North Preview

Passing Game-
1. Cincinnati Bengals- The Cincinnati Bengals have one of the top 3 quarterbacks in the league in Carson Palmer. They also have one of the top receivers in Chad Johnson, and a great possession guy in TJ Houshmanzadeh. Even with Chris Henry out, the Bengals have the top passing game in the AFC North.

Do they? Their TE isn't much of a Receiving threat, and of the guys behind TJ/CJ, only 1 has received a pass in the NFL. I think you guys should consider signing Troy Brown.. Old? Sure, but a veteran leader and could be a solid slot guy... If teams can stop your run game, the pressure will be on Palmer to get the ball out... McNeal, Glen Holt and Skyler Green haven't proven anything. I give you best passing attack on the mere fact you have the top QB in the division and arguably the best WR, but if CJ starts off slow again, it's going to be hard to recover.. I think Henry out until week 8 could really make some concern.

2. Cleveland Browns- This may shock some people, but the Browns have the 2nd best passing game in the AFC North. Charlie Frye is disappointing, but he has all the weapons to be successful. Braylon Edwards, Joe Jurevicious, and Kellen Winslow are a great group for Charlie to throw to. Brady Quinn is also waiting in the wings to be his successor.

I believe the passing attack is a 3-hinge, OL, Receivers and QB. Quinn isn't proven and can be erratic. Frye and Anderson are the same.. The OL has upgraded with Steinbach and Thomas, but Thomas still has to prove how good he is, Robert Gallery and Tony Mandarich were top 3 picks as can't miss olineman.. and boy did they miss. I'm not saying that Thomas will boom or bust, but they certainly haven't added any receiving talent, Travis Wilson is their slot guy, unproven, Braylon has to click and prove he was worth the #3 overall pick. He pulls Houdini's in games, Jurevicious has 10 years in and could fall off any time (hasn't started a full 16 game season his entire career). Then they got Tim Carter, who hasn't eclipsed 1000 yards in 6 seasons.. averaging 8-9 games a season that he'll play in before being injured. I don't think Cleveland is #2 or 3 yet. IMO they're still #4 until they prove it.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers- The Steelers are looking to rebound from a disappointing season last year. They have a decent passing game. Ben Roethlisberger is a good quarterback, but he lacks weapons. Hines Ward is consistent, but the rest of the receiving corps has to pick up some of the slack. If Santonio Holmes develops into a more legitimate deep threat, this teamís passing game will be a force. If not, then it will be there downfall.

I'm not going to brag or make excuses, but Bens done well and we're running a new offense so i'm fine with this. Holmes was the #2 Rookie receiver, no one for-seen the Colston effect. Though, we do have solid depth... Ced Wilson, Nate Washington, Dallas Baker and we're getting Willie Reid back. So, there's plenty of WR depth. I think you have overlooked Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth. If we run Arians New offense I think they'll be utilizing Miller like Indy does Clark, and if so he could be a key receiver this season.

4. Baltimore Ravens- If the Ravens have a weakness, itís in there passing attack. Steve McNair is the perfect type of quarterback for the Ravens. He wonít make many mistakes, but he wonít light up any score boards either. He doesnít have any top receivers either; his best target is TE Todd Heap. The Ravens are a run first team, and their passing game reflects that/

I think your underrating them. It's hard, Cincy is obviously #1, I'd say right now Baltimore/Pittsburgh could be 2/3 or 3/2.. Derrick Mason is a reliable reciever, Clayton really came on last year nearly getting 1000 yards... The guy to watch however is Demetrius Williams, He could very well make his mark in the AFC North this season.

Rushing Attack

1. Baltimore Ravens- The Ravens picked up stud running back Willis McGahee from the bills, and revamped their offensive line with the draft. Barring a major injury, there is no way this team does not have the best running game in the AFC North, they may have one of the best in all of football.

I'm not sold on McGahee. He hasn't played a full 16 game season yet and that can hurt a team with Championship aspirations. Mike Anderson and Musa Smith are going to be called on a lot more this season. I think they needed a grinder, as McGahee is more of a dancer, but until he plays in purple this is just speculation. Though, McGahee hasn't seen a pro-bowl, neither has Anderson.

2. Cincinnati Bengals- The depth of Cincinnatiís running attack sets them apart from the lower half of the division. Rudi Johnson is a workhorse, but they also have change of pace backs like Chris Perry, Kenny Watson, and rookie Kenny Irons.

I like this stable of RB's. I think adding Irons was unnecessary, and over the top, but it's a great RB core. However Irons hasn't played a down yet, but I think they could be #2. Though I crunched some #'s and Rudi only gets over 100 yards a game in less than 30% of games. With a RB by committee approach thats not a problem I guess.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers- Willie Parker had a great season last year, and is a stud NFL running back. But there is no depth behind him. Najeh Davenport isnít explosive enough to be the Jerome Bettis-type pile mover that they missed last season. They are playing behind a solid but aging offensive line. But if Parker is injured, this team is in deep trouble.

I don't know if I see this right, but you're grading us on hypotheticals. If we lose Willie we're screwed. Well odds are if any team loses their franchise RB, their screwed. I don't know how well Baltimore would do without McGahee, Cleveland without Lewis or Cincy without Johnson(Irons/Perry never carried the full load). However we did add Kevan Barlow to be our pile-mover and if thats all he pans out with I'm fine, but we have Najeh, Barlow and Gary Russell, who from what I'm hearing could end up being our #2 RB this season with his workouts, if not this season definitely next season.

4. Cleveland Browns- Reuben Droughns wasnít very successful last year, so they brought in Jamaal Lewis. Trouble is, Jamaal wasnít successful last year either. I doubt he will rebound from his recent struggles with the Browns behind a offensive line that is in shambles.

I think it was the O-Line more than Droughns as he had 1200 yards the season prior, but he didn't have an effective pass game to take any pressure off of the run game whatsoever last year.

Overall Offense
1. Cincinnati Bengals- The Bengals have one of the top offenses in the NFL.

Agreed. However I still think Chris Henry nixed for 8 games will hurt more than most are forecasting.

2. Baltimore Ravens- Baltimore may lack in the passing department, but their revamped rushing attack should pick up on the slack.

If McGahee pans out, should, but don't forget, Chris Chester(06 2nd rounder), Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda could all be starting this year... they would have a very inexperienced C-RG-RT group.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers- The Steelers arenít hurting in too many areas, but nobody on offense really scares you other than Willie Parker.

Hines Ward doesn't scare people? He's what a 5-6 time pro-bowler and one of the best in the business? And after the last game of the season last year (not to be rude), but Holmes doesn't scare you? Our talent past them i guess is a mystery because frankly, I don't even know how it's going to roll out.

4. Cleveland Browns- The Browns have one of the worst rushing attacks and offensive lines in the country.

Very very True. Though Steinbach and Thomas could upgrade it, nothing proved yet.

Front Seven
1. Baltimore Ravens- The Ravens have arguably one of the best front sevens is the country. Ray Lewis is aging but is still a top NFL MLB. Terrell Suggs is a young stud OLB. Bart Scott, Haloti Ngata, and Trevor Pryce also are above average. The loss of Adaluis Thomas undoubtedly huirst, but the Ravens still have enough talent to make up for it.

Agreed!

2. Pittsburgh Steelers- Pittsburghís being ranked this high has less to do with their own goodness and more to do with the divisionís weakness. Their 34 defense was great, but it lost its star pass rusher in Joey Porter. Farrior and Larry Foote are still solid, but the Steelers front seven isnít looking as scary as it usually has this time of year.

Divisions Weakness? I'd have to say We have one of the strongest defensive divisions. Baltimore is IMO #1. Pitt could be top 5-8, Cincy could be top 10-13 if their pass coverage improves and Cleveland has an amazing LB core.. Wimbley, Williams, Davis, Jackson, McGinnest.

As for Pitt, We lost our top pass rusher, but don't downplay the fact we added 2 young studs. I would be against bringing up unproven rookies, but you did in this so It's only fair. Not to mention James Harrison, who has been underrated for Some time. Foote is ver very solid, Farrior is one of the best Buck ILB's in the NFL. I feel that you're overlooking our line. I think we have arguably the best NT (Perhaps Jamal Williams) But Casey Hampton is top 2 in the NFL at NT, Aaron Smith is very underrated and frankly thats what everyone was comparing top 15 Pick Adam Carriker to. And if you want #'s, Brett Keisel put up better stats than Richard Seymour last year.. 55 Tackles, 5.5 Sacks .. vs Seymours 40 Tackles, 3 sacks. I think our DL is underrated. I think Porter will hurt, but I have a feeling Between Harrison and Timmons/Woodley, we'll be ok.

3. Cincinnati Bengals- The Bengals front seven improved last season, and things are slowly looking up. LB Ahmad Brooks looks to be solid, Domata Peko is only getting better, and they have one of the best pairs of DEís in the country with Justin Smith and Robert Geathers. Their lack of stud linebakers hurts though.

I think Brooks is going to be a monster... and Johnson is solid.. but I agree, you seem to have a lack of playmakers ... and your depth up front is getting ... old. Adams is entering his 14th year, Robinson his 11th, Myers his 10th, Thornton his 9th,

4. Cleveland Browns- Kameiron Wimbley, Andra Davis, and Willie McGinest should be solid, but no one else on the front seven really will scare anybody. Cleveland did little to improve its pass rush in the draft, and it will still be one of the teamís Achilles Heels.

I wouldn't say their Pass rush is the issue.. I mean, they have a great core LB Group.. Leon Williams stepped up and was awesome, Wimbley had 11 sacks, Dqwell Jackson though undersized is still very good, Andra Davis is still one of the best in the biz at 3-4 ILB. They did grab Antwan Peek who IMO will be a 3rd down Pass rush Specialist. I think their issue is they didn't upgrade that porous DLine. In the 3-4 the LB's make the plays most often, but the DL has to occupy the lineman, Other than Ted Washington(Who's going into his 17th year) no one on that line has much experience or scares you. Robaire Smith, Orien Harris, Mel Purcell and Chase Pittman are all unproven.. Harris has a motor problem (Lazy), Purcell hasn't played 1 full COLLEGE season, and Pittman was lackluster in college, though he did hold the point Ok...

Secondary
1. Baltimore Ravens- McAlister, Rolle, Reed, and Landry might just be the best secondary in the nation. Reed is a playmaking ballhawk, and Mcalister is a top 3 CB in the country. The other two guys arenít two shabby either, and they have another rising star in the secondary in fifth round steal Dawan Landry.

Samari Rolle was getting burned BIG TIME last season.. They haven't upgraded him. But I have to agree.

2. Cincinnati Bengals- Jonathon Joseph can stick on receivers like glue, even if he plays patty cake with balls in the air. Deltha Oneal is solid, but Leon Hall should have the starting job by the end of the season. Madieu Williams is one of the most underated players in the game. Dexter Jackson is a question mark, and I excpect Marvin White to take over his job by mid season

Here's my concern here, I'm not trying to pimp my team or piss fans off. However, Joseph already has a drug strike against him.. Oneal is going downhill though is a solid nickel. I agree Madieu Williams is underrated. I agree and think White Could be playing SS by midseason.. but your hinging a lot here on unproven players. I think, and this isn't personal, that even adding Hall the Pitt is #2 and Cincy is #3. No offense, but i'll explain below.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers- Ike Taylor was disappointing, but if returns to his 2005 form, this teams secondary will be a force. I donít see that happening though. The only thing that prevents this team from being last is Troy Polamalu, who, when healthy is a top 5 safety in this league.

Troy is healthy and He's probably the best SS in the league because he's a hard hitter and very versatile. Ike Taylor, word from Tomlin and camp is that he's heavier, faster and playing better than ever, which is bad news for other fans because if thats the case, ... He could be top 10 if he does well this year. I think you're underrating the rest of our group. Now I expect nothing from Colclough. However, DeShea Townsend, though not great, is perfect and solid at what he does.. playing zone, reading plays, blitzing. Bryant McFadden really looked solid taking over #2 last year and likely will have it this year. Here's what I feel you overlooked. Anthony Smith. He started the last 3 games last year, had 18 tackles (6 per game), 2 INT's, passes defended (Including the #5 hit of the year per NFLN on Housh). I think him and McFadden who are more proven than White/Jackson and Hall/Oneal should put us at #2. Ike when on shuts out Chad Johnson, and we only have to play against Chris Henry 1 time next year, which I feel gives us the advantage.. at least the first game.

4. Cleveland Browns- The Browns have one of the games best kept secrets in safety Sean Jones, who racked up over 100 tackles. But the oft injured Leigh Bodden leaves this team hanging up to dry. He is like Mark Prior, he has the potential to be great but he canít seem to stay healthy. This team could have a great secondary, and Eric Wright is promising, but tooo many things have to happen for them to be solid.

Agreed.

Overall Defense-
1. Baltimore Ravens- Organized Chaos is easily they best defense in the division.

Agreed!

2. Cincinnati Bengals- The Bengals have promising stars at every position, but the question remains if they can play up to their potential.

I question this because above in the front 7 category you said you lacked studs. I agree Hall/Joseph/Williams/White COULD be a great secondary, but the Bengals have more Question marks in the front 7 than Pittsburgh. Even lackluster last season we were the #9 ranked defense... giving up 300.3 Yards a game. Cincy was #30 at 355.1 yards a game. Other than Hartwell and Myers, no one but rookies were added, and I don't think they're going to instantly move you from #30 to #8. Not that we'll necessarily be the #9 defense, but like I said, I think Pittsburgh still has the edge on defense, as you have on offense.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers- The Steelerís defense pales in comparison to the Super Bowl teamís of 2005.

Does it really? The only players we lost were Hope and Porter from that starting squad (And Kimo but Keisel upgraded that position). Hope I thought would be hard to replace, but Anthony Smith shined. He's an enforcer back there and he's a ball hawk. I think he'll really show that this season. As for Porter, We did lose him, but we also added Timmons and Woodley... 2 guys, 1 with tons of upside and solid #'s, and 1 with a prolific college career and is a pass-rushing threat immediately. I think we actually upgraded. I love Porter and how fiery he was, but he's not Adalius Thomas and I don't think any player is irreplaceable. Porter got overpaid and Timmons/Woodley can bring the heat as well as anyone.. but we'll see this season.

4. Cleveland Browns- No way this teamís defensive questions all get positive answers.

Again, Agreed!

Final Predictions
1 Cincinnati Bengals- 11-5
2. Baltimore Ravens- 11-5
3. Cleveland Brown-6-10
4. Pittsburgh Steelers- 6-10

All in all a fair analysis, I've given my thoughts, but I don't see us winning less than 8 games, and I still don't see Cleveland winning 6. Ravens Hinge on a really inexperienced Oline, Samari Rolle struggled all last season and hasn't been upgraded, and they lost what.. 4 starters (Lewis, Pashos, Mulitato, Adalius Thomas)

I'm not here to be a prick, I'm just trying to give you guys a fair insight into the Pittsburgh Organization, ask TT39 or MThop05, I really bust my ass getting as much info as I can.

I just think you're selling us a little short. I know, New HC, OC, RB/QB/WR/OL Coach and loss of Porter, but We still have LeBeau, Mitchell and Keith and we still have a ton of great players.

Mr. Stiller
05-14-2007, 01:15 AM
How is Willie Parker better than Rudi Johnson and what happens if willie goes down with a season ending injury is kevin Barlow all the sudden going to carry the load on your team. My point is unless you are in an offense with two premier backs such as New orlearns if your starter goes down then your are screwed.

secondly I agree with you on pittsburg deffense they are alot better than the bengals although the loss of Porter is going to be hard to replace.

thirdly- to the browns fan who actually thinks his team has a chance at winning this year wtf are you thinking. we shut you your offense out last year the 31st or 32nd deffense shut you guys out last season nuff said. Quinn is going to choke in THe NFL like he Chocked at Notre Dame he is not going to amount to anything in the NFL.

Willie Parker: 1494 Yards, 337 Carries, 4.4 Avg, 13TD's, Pro-Bowl
Rudi Johnson: 1309 Yards, 341 Carries, 3.8 Avg, 13TD's

Perhaps because he did more with Less?

Willie is just coming into his own, Rudi is a 7-year proven vet.. I think Parker still has upside where.. Rudi is at his peak. Most people say a RB has a 10 year life span.. if so, Rudi doesn't have much more to give.

Agreed about the Defense. Porter will be hard to replace, but he's not irreplaceable. We added 2 guys that can rush the passer, and they're damn good about it too. So it's not like we forgot about it either. Plus, Harrison is pretty fiery in his own right.

Shere Khan
05-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Better job this time Mr. STiller.

themaninblack
05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
rudi hasnt been a feature back for 7 years though. i think he's better than willie parker or just as good plus weve got Kenny Irons and maybe Chris Perry not to mention a solid 3DRB in kenny watson. Irons is gonna be the ying to rudi's yang this year though i cant wait.

terribletowel39
05-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Rudi has had 330+ carries the last 3 years. he is the feature back of the Bengals right now. when you carry the ball that many times, you are the featured back. and kenny irons is good but he is not the chinese symbol you are looking for.

themaninblack
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
i didnt say he wasnt the feature back, i said he hasnt been it for 7 years thus he wasnt for four years. and Irons will be that chinese symbol you are referring to because he will come in and add some explosiveness and elusiveness which rudi lacks obviously.

bengalbuck
05-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Here is how I see the division breaking down:

1. Cincinnati- Every thing that could possibly go wrong for the Bengals last season did. They lost their top 3 LBs. Carson not being able to practice much in the offseason caused the offense to get off to a really slow start. The injuries to C Rich Braham and LT Levi Jones left a rookie and an inexperienced second year OL starting for most of the year. The running game really suffered as these two wen tthrough growing pains. In addition to injuries, the Bengals had to deal with some really tough breaks (horrible roughing the passer call vs. Tampa Bay, bobbled extra point vs. Denver, missed FG at end vs. Pitt) and one of the toughest schedules in the NFL (Indy and NE becasue of 1st place in 2005). Despite all these negatives, the Bengals were still very close to making the playoffs and should be able to get back there this year.

On offense, the Bengals are very solid and the continuity that they have had should prove very valuable. The core of what has been a top 10 offense since Carson stepped in returns. The loss of Henry will hurt more than people think. The fear he puts into defenses as a deep threat is huge. However, if the offensive line is healhy, the Bengals may lean more heavily on the running game like they did in 2004 and 2005. The addition of Kenny Irons adds a much needed home run threat to the offense. This offense should be top 5-10 without Henry and Perry, but could really explode in the second half if it gets those 2 guys back.

On defense, there is a lot of potential but serious questions. I think the defenisve line is a bit more solid than it gets credit for. Geathers had a great year with double digit sacks at one DE spot and Justin Smith is very solid on the other side. At DT, Domata Peko had a very nice rookie year. The Bengals have an average D line, which is actually an improvement after fielding a substandard unit for so long. The defensive backs should be the best in recent history also. Hall is a very solid and polished guy who should be able to step in right away. Joseph has a ton of talent and should be a very good started. Madieu and Deltha need to bounce back but overall this is a good unit. The real question is at LB. If Brooks can learn the D and Odell can stay out of trouble, the LBers could be very, very good. If Brooks continues to struggle metally and Odell's return hits a snag, the group could struggle again with solid but unspectacular guys like Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller, etc.

Overall, the Bengals got a nice break schedule wise with KC and Tennessee being pretty weak second place teams from last season. If the Bengals can make it through the first 7 games with a winning record, they should be in great shape as the second half of the schedule sets up very well.

2. Pittsburgh- People forget that despite the down year last year, Pitt has averaged 11 wins a year over the past three years. As long as Ben Rothlisberger doesn't play terrible again, they should rebound this year. Besides Ben's inconsistency, the other thing that would worry me if I was a Steeler fan is the uncharacteristic lack of physicality up front on both sides of the ball last year. Against teams like the Ravens and Jaguars, the Steelers just seemed to get outmanned physically.

On offense, if Rothlisberger bounces back the passing game should be very good. Ward is getting older but is still very good. Holmes is poised for a breakout season and Miller provides a solid underneath option. The running game is also strong though not as dominant as in past years when Bettis closed games out and the O line seemed more dominating. Overall, a solid unit.

On defense, the two rookies will play a huge role in the team's overall success. The Steelers D wasn't the same last year without any pass rushers that scared offenses. Teams had too much time and picked apart a secondayry that is solid, but lacking true shutdown type CBs. I personally think Woodley and Timmons were great picks and will immediately provide the pass rush that the D so desperately needs. If they improve the outside speed, the D should be very good. It is already solid up the middle with Hampton at NT, Farrior at ILB and Polamalu and Smith at S.

Overall, I see about 10 wins from Pitt. The schedule is tough though and despite finishing behind Cincy, the schedule is arguably tougher with Denver and Jacksonville being very tough 3es place teams.

3. Baltimore- Baltimore was not nearly as good as its record last year. They were able to parlay an easy schedule, clutch late game play and a lot of luck into 13 wins. But, can you really expect to get all of the breaks again? And won't the 1st place games vs. Indy and San Diego be very tough to win?

On offense, the Ravens are solid but very dependent on some older players health to be effective. Ogden is ancient at LT. Mason is getting old. And most importantly McNair is getting up in years and is very injury prone. They have some solid young O linemen and good skill position players like Clayton, Heap and McGahee. But, this offense was just okay last year despite great health. Now, a year older they are one or two injuries away from going back to being below average.

On defense, the Ravens should be very good again. The front 7 is tough though it has some key players like Pryce and Lewis nearing the ends of their careers. It is hard to find too many weaknesses on the D, but the one thing they have struggled with is teams with good passing games. Rolle is getting up in years and after him, the nickle candidates are not stellar. Trouble covering Chad Johnson, TJ and Chris Henry is the primary culprit in the Ravens 1-4 record in the last 5 vs. Cincy.

Overall, the Ravens should be good again. But, with the tough schedule they will need to get all the breaks again and stay very healthy again this year to repeat as champs.

4. Cleveland- I think Cleveland is going to have another very, very tough season. The schedule is very difficult to start and the team could be eliminated for all intents and purposes by the end of September. That would force them to rush Quinn in. The problem with Cleveland is, they just don't have hardly any above average players. You look at the rosters of every other team in the division and they are littered with Pro Bowlers. Does Cleveland have anyone who has made a Pro Bowl recently?

On offense, the O line should be improved but still just average at best. Steinbach is solid but not a real difference maker. He's undersized and has never made a Pro Bowl. The rookie Thomas should be an upgrade but is going to have some rookie struggles, just like D'Brickashaw did last year. Jamal Lewis is over the hill and one of the worst starting RBs in the NFL. At this point, Jurevicius has to be considered one of the worst #2 WRs in the NFL and not even in the same league as Houshmanzadeh, Holmes or Clayton. Winslow is the only potential impact guy on offense but he is coming back from surgery and is going to have a crappy QB throwing to him. This is going to be one of the worst offenses in the NFL again.

On defense, the Browns are okay but still lacking in impact players. Other than Wimbley, is there a single other defender who is an above average NFL starter? Fraser, Washington, Smith, etc. are basically all journeymen across the D line. Outside of Wimbley the LBs are just okay. D'Qwell is solid but doesn't have the size to be a real standout inside in the 3-4. The young group of DBs with Wright, Bodden, Pool and Jones should be solid and has the potential to be a good group for years forward.

Overall, the Browns could be on the right track long term if Quinn pans out. But, I think this season could be ugly again. Davis left the team ridiculously devoid of talent. Plus, the rest of the division is tough and each team has absolutely owned the Browns. It's hard for fans to be patient, but they are going to have to as building a team takes a long time when you are basically starting with no above average players which is where Cleveland was 3 years ago.

RoyHall#1
05-27-2007, 05:02 PM
yes it is, which explains your entire lack of offense in the whole existence of the franchise.

Yes our o-line is probably one of the main reasons the brown's have sucked. But the brown's line is not in shambles this year.

LT- Thomas
LG - Steinbach
C- Fraley
RG- Tucker
RT- Schaffer
That is a darn good starting 5, granted depth is questionable, but you can't just say the O-line is in shambles because we're the browns.