PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Auron
11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Coming off a huge emotional win vs. Pitt we now travel to Carolina to face a Divisional opponent in the Panthers who always seem to give us a tough game.

This game is crucial for us because not only do we have to keep pace with Atlanta and Tampa for the division, the Saints also have to show some consistency this season... they've really flip flopped good performances, with bad ones from week to week. It would be a big boost to go into the Bye Week with 2 straight wins, would give us something to build on.

Also there's some hope Tracy Porter and Jabari Greer might be ready to come back and play this week, Reggie Bush has not practiced yet but there's still a chance if they see enough improvement he can go.. (possibly with a limited snap count)

Flyboy
11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Greer and Porter will be a go... but still, Carolina always plays us close / tight regardless of their record. I doubt DeAngelo Wiliams or Jeff Otah play, but if we play like we did against the Steelers I think we'll run away with the win.

Auron
11-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Greer and Porter will be a go... but still, Carolina always plays us close / tight regardless of their record. I doubt DeAngelo Wiliams or Jeff Otah play, but if we play like we did against the Steelers I think we'll run away with the win.

That's the big question this week, Which Saints team will show up? the one that beat the Steelers? or will they play like the team that lost to the Browns?

Like you I think if the Saints bring their A game this week to Carolina they should win this one easily, but it's games like these where the Saints are heavily favored by the media that they always seem to come out flat and play down to the competition.. If our Offense turns the ball over multiple times,and gives them short fields to work with then there's no doubt we'll lose this game just like we lost to Arizona, and Cleveland.

CJSchneider
11-07-2010, 04:38 PM
After looking back over the last 2 weeks, that's how you surge into your bye week. That was a great win over Carolina.

Saints-Tigers
11-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm extremely excited about Jimmy Graham. a 6'6 guy that fluid is going to be a dominant mismatch for years to come. The fact that he is so raw and inexperienced, but already a solid contributor as a receiver speaks volumes.

Can't wait to get healthy over the bye and make a strong surge down the stretch.

Auron
11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
That was a crucial win, back to back comfortable margin wins. Now we get a well timed Bye Week, so we can get the numerous guys who are banged up fresh and healthy. I believe Shockey, Sharper, Jenkins, and Ivory all got dinged today... (even though we dished out much more punishment to the Panthers than we took)

I agree I like what Graham brings to the table, he provided a spark to the Offense today and he's so athletic, and versatile... hopefully we'll see him become a bigger part of the Offense the 2nd half of this season.

The Defense continues to play outstanding football, they just harassed the Panthers QBs all game long... and it is great to have Jabari Greer back. The Offense was solid but they still could use some improvement, it seems like the plays weren't coming in quick enough which led to us barely getting some plays off and having to burn timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties... Have to be much crisper getting in, and out of the huddle. Hopefully they can work out these issues after the Bye with Reggie Bush back.

wicket
11-08-2010, 02:13 AM
brees is really cursed by the way, that 'interception' was just weird. However the team played pretty tough and really well at times. Hats off to the D, even though we know carolinas offense is mediocre

NOLAFan
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
So a friend of mine who still lives in Louisiana said that a rumor is coming out that Payton wanted to trade Thomas to the Patriots at the beginning of the season but the deal fell through when Thomas got injuried. Is there any truth to this? I think that sounds ridiculous and makes it seems like Payton has all his eggs in the Reggie Bush basket but i figured i would ask since i no longer here much about the Saints besides whats on TV.

Saints-Tigers
11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I heard they were dangling him for a CB near the deadline, but backed out when NE demanded a draft pick.

Which of their crappy CBs does Belichick think is worth PT and a draft pick? lol

Auron
11-08-2010, 06:56 PM
As this season goes along I'm starting to really fear Pierre Thomas won't be with the team this next season. I think Payton has soured on him, and this ankle injury and how it was handled really threw a whole wrench into the situation.

With every week going by where no progress is made the more the thoughts swirl around him not being back... which is a shame because he's one of my favorite players and brings a whole lot to our screen game. Reggie also has a history of being banged up... same with Pierre they both have been unable to stay healthy and often get hurt. If we let Pierre go I really hope we look into a future Running Back somewhere in this next draft.

Saints-Tigers
11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I would bet on Pierre being let go, I've thought so since last season when everyone was positive that Bush wouldn't be sitting on that 8 million dollar deal.

I'd be pissed if we used an early pick on a back.

Auron
11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Well if we lose Pierre, we gotta look somewhere in Rds. 2-5 for a good physical back, who can have some versatility catching the ball (because Payton has a fetish for backs who can catch)...

we in no way can afford what has happened to us this year to happen next year... I'm not sure I trust Ivory quite yet, and Hamilton who knows what kind of guy he can be? This Offense is at it's best when we have a successful running game and we don't have to put everything on the shoulders of Brees.

I'd say as of this point our main needs would be:

OLB, DE, RB, Interior O-Line depth, DT.

wicket
11-09-2010, 03:28 AM
agreed with the needs although I have to say that the front 7 needs trump the other needs by a mile. Id like to use one of the third rounders on a running back if thomas is let go but no earlier

diabsoule
11-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I think it would be a huge mistake letting PT go. He gives 110% on every play that he's in and is a tough, all-purpose back that is can do whatever Payton wants. I really would hate to see him go.

Right now I think our needs in this years draft are OLB, DT, RB (if PT is let go), and DE. I would love to see what Sed Ellis could do if he played next to a legitimate nose tackle and we also desperately need some talent at outside linebacker.

Saints-Tigers
11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't mind a 4th rounder or less, maybe a 3rd, but I wouldn't really want them going HB in the top 2 rounds.

CJSchneider
11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't mind a 4th rounder or less, maybe a 3rd, but I wouldn't really want them going HB in the top 2 rounds.

I feel the same way, but looking at our last 3 drafts, if the value is there, you can bet on us pulling the trigger on a HB.

Saints-Tigers
11-11-2010, 12:47 AM
The value really is never there to me. Unless you feel the back is like super special, the gap between guys like Ryan Matthews and guys like Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory just doesn't warrant high picks, and I think the Saints see that.

Beanie Wells is the guy we tried to make a move for, but the coaching staff felt he was a special quality back.

But honestly, we were 6th in rushing with a mediocre Mike Bell, 150 carries from Pierre Thomas, and 80 or so carries and a recovering knee Reggie Bush. We don't need to put a premium on high round backs to be a top tier rushing team, and injuries isn't a great reason to do so, because that back is probably just as likely to get injured.

Keep doing what we do, keep Reggie around, offer Pierre Thomas something reasonable, and if not, find late round and free agent backs to develop, it's the easiest position in the league to get, and the coaching staff does a good job of it.

Targeting an impact pass rusher, OLBs, or DTs is far more pressing at the moment.

CJSchneider
11-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Bye weeks are like ******.

Auron
11-15-2010, 08:34 AM

I don't like not being able to watch the Saints, but also with the way things have gone at times this season I was a little relieved that there was nothing on the field that could have gone wrong for the Saints this past week.

Hopefully they are starting to hit their stride and can maintain their momentum through out the Bye, and finish the 2nd half of the season strong.

wicket
11-15-2010, 09:43 AM

it wouldve been okay if the falcons lost but this way bye weeks just blow

Auron
11-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Hmm even after a Bye Week Sharper, and Shockey will be out with their injuries from the Carolina game. I guess it's time to see what Jimmy Graham can do given the opportunity for some serious playing time.

Auron
11-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Well a win, but that was a really poor, sloppy finish. Against Seattle we should have closed that game out a lot earlier.

I'm still amazed that Brees threw that last pass in the end zone. Absolutely no reason to force that in there.

wicket
11-21-2010, 06:31 PM
easily the worst performance by greer in a saints uniform imho

CJSchneider
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
A win none the less and it clearly showed our offense is damn potent even when it's off. I love Chris Ivory by the way, if I hadn't said it already.

Auron
11-21-2010, 07:27 PM
easily the worst performance by greer in a saints uniform imho

Yeah it did seem like he lost track of the ball in the air on quite a few down the field throws, which is uncharacteristic of him. I guess he gets a pass because, everyone is due for a down game eventually, plus he was out for a while.

Rough time to have a Short week playing on Thursday. Payton may be cautious and keep Sharper, Jenkins, Bush, and Shockey out another week..unless they can make progress within the next 3 days.

Either way we've got to be ready for Dallas, under Garrett they are a fired up ball club that does not play like their record shows.

xxxxxxxx
11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, I am curious, what happened to Sedrick Ellis? I haven't heard his name in 2 years.

CJSchneider
11-22-2010, 09:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=11242

wicket
11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
ellis is easily having his best year iyam

Flyboy
11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey guys, I am curious, what happened to Sedrick Ellis? I haven't heard his name in 2 years.

Has been a complete stud on the defensive line for us this season.

diabsoule
11-23-2010, 10:05 PM
If we could get a true, legitimate nose tackle Sed Ellis would just beast. He's been awesome this year but give him someone next to him that can eat up two blockers and watch Ellis turn into an elite 3 tech.

wicket
11-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Just want to get this out there but I think the game againts the cowboys is both gonna be tough and a vital game for the playoff chances. We still have 2 very tough road games to go and I would like to have at least 11 wins to feel sure of the playoff chances.

CJSchneider
11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I do agree with that. I also feel we will be looking for some payback from last year and what better way to do it than on Dallas' traditional Thanksgiving Day game.

Flyboy
11-25-2010, 05:20 AM
If you don't think that the majority of the players on the team, doesn't remember last year.. heh. I think we'll have some revenge on the mind, for sure.

Auron
11-25-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm concerned about Miles Austin who had a field day against us last season, and Dez Bryant against our banged up secondary. Sharper, Jenkins are questionable, and Jabari Greer is coming off a rough performance against Seattle.

CJSchneider
11-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Those match-ups concern me as well. Let's hope Williams has something special in the works to negate their passing attack. I hope that plan includes sending Kitna to the turf hard and often.

wicket
11-25-2010, 05:48 PM
why isnt morstead kicking off anymore, he was a way better kickoff guy than Hartley is

CJSchneider
11-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm as happy as a sissy with a bag full of wieners right now. Although I am pissed we blew a 17 point lead, we proved that we can tighten it back down and come back and win. Chris Ivory was awesome and Malcolm Jenkins came up with the big defensive play right on time.

Auron
11-25-2010, 08:15 PM
A win is always good, especially when you have to play twice within a span of 5 days. Thankfully Malcolm Jenkins made an amazing hustle play at the end or else our Thanksgiving's would be a lot worse off.

Brees played another great game, but man his Receivers really let him down with drops today. Jimmy Graham with 2 really painful ones... I love what his size, and athleticism brings to the table but he's still in-experienced.. and it was clear Reggie Bush was rusty from his long lay off. Hope to see him a lot more crisp running off of a full week of practice.

diabsoule
11-26-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm getting a Saints jersey for Christmas and am trying to decide which one to get: Bobby Hebert or Jahri Evans?

CJSchneider
11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm getting a Saints jersey for Christmas and am trying to decide which one to get: Bobby Hebert or Jahri Evans?

I'd get the Hebert, but that's just me. We went to the same college btw. Met him once. He is a tad pompous. Ya know what, **** it, get the Evans jersey.

Saints-Tigers
11-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Bobby Hebert is a stupid jackass, and wasn't even that good. When I heard him voted as the greatest Saints player ever, I puked in my mouth.

LonghornsLegend
11-26-2010, 05:32 PM
So I guess Hartley is back for you guys huh? He nailed some very clutch kicks and if this was another 1 of his off days it could have made the difference. Jimmy Graham is gonna end up a beast and tearing it up eventually but you could tell he was a rookie out there, still when push came to shove Brees did what he had to do and was pin point accurate in doing so.

Maybe David Thomas should have gotten some of those looks instead of Graham, he's less flashy but alot more reliable. It was a good game though, wish Meachem would keep his act together and continue to work hard and stay out of the dog house. I feel like he could be your best WR if he wanted it bad enough.

wicket
11-26-2010, 06:37 PM
why isnt morstead kicking off anymore, he was a way better kickoff guy than Hartley is

still curious

Auron
11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
still curious

I believe Payton gave some lame explanation of Hartley gives us better "hang time" or something which is ridiculous because Morstead has one of the stronger legs in the NFL and would routinely hit Touchbacks. Where as Hartley has been close to kicking out of bounds on numerous occasions, and rarely do his kicks go deeper then the 5 yard line.

Maybe Payton wants to get Hartley more involved in the game and keep a kicking rhythm going? or possibly Morstead might be dinged.

diabsoule
11-26-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd get the Hebert, but that's just me. We went to the same college btw. Met him once. He is a tad pompous. Ya know what, **** it, get the Evans jersey.

I was leaning towards the Evans jersey. Only other people I could think of that I'd like to get a jersey for our Vilma, Lance Moore, or Malcom Jenkins.

wicket
11-27-2010, 07:47 AM
I believe Payton gave some lame explanation of Hartley gives us better "hang time" or something which is ridiculous because Morstead has one of the stronger legs in the NFL and would routinely hit Touchbacks. Where as Hartley has been close to kicking out of bounds on numerous occasions, and rarely do his kicks go deeper then the 5 yard line.

Maybe Payton wants to get Hartley more involved in the game and keep a kicking rhythm going? or possibly Morstead might be dinged.

much obliged

CJSchneider
11-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I was leaning towards the Evans jersey. Only other people I could think of that I'd like to get a jersey for our Vilma, Lance Moore, or Malcom Jenkins.

All 3 of those would be nice.

wicket
12-01-2010, 09:05 AM
The more I think of it the more I think we need to win out (or only lose to baltimore) to even have a shot to win the division. Atlanta closes with an away game against Tampa, a game against us, two games against carolina and a game against seattle. I really dont see them losing the last three and they hold the tie breaker against us unless they lose against tampa and us and we lose against baltimore but win out. So we will hold the tiebreaker if we win four and lose to baltimore if atlanta also loses another game (go tampa??).

Either way my point is that we are screwed that minny and dallas are so sucky this season (certainly considering the fact that they actually both played us tough) and we will have a weird twilight when watching the tampa-atlanta game

wicket
12-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Do we even have a draftpick beyond the third if we do indeed get the third from the skins?

If im not mistaking

4th to Jacksonville for Tennant drafting
5th back to Washington
6th to Pats for David Thomas
7th to Pats for David Thomas

CJSchneider
12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
We have our 7th I believe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5173519

Auron
12-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Any thoughts on the upcoming Bengals game? It seems most of our guys are getting back healthy. Even a small chance Pierre Thomas plays. (although I tend to think he's getting held out for another week)

Even though the Bengals have been a pretty miserable team, this game might be kind of dangerous. On the road, playing in our first "Cold" game of the season might really throw us off... We can't afford a slip up though, after next week we start a brutal final 3 games... with @Baltimore, @Atlanta, and Tampa Bay...

CJSchneider
12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
We need to see Chris Ivory develop into a RB who can be put in pass protection situations. This is as good a game as any to set him up to shine. I'm thinking doing so now could even throw Atlanta a curve for when we see them a few weeks from now.

Auron
12-02-2010, 06:16 PM
We need to see Chris Ivory develop into a RB who can be put in pass protection situations. This is as good a game as any to set him up to shine. I'm thinking doing so now could even throw Atlanta a curve for when we see them a few weeks from now.

He's already started to be put in more play action situations, so it seems like week by week the coaching staff has given him more responsibility in that department... he's come along ways since the days where we exclusively lined up in Power formations and just ran him.

NOLAFan
12-02-2010, 11:57 PM
So i live like 45min outside of Cincinnatti, and am going to the game, and i do think this will be a tough game for the Saints. They just dont play well in cold weather. Its been snowing for past 3 days off an on, and i forsee that playing a factor in this game.

Also i believe we will have to get use to the cold seeing as of now most of the playoff teams are outdoor in colder locations than we're use to. Only ATL and STL would eb indoor.

wicket
12-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Question, who are you guys rootin for in the falcons-tampa game. I think Im rootin for the bucs assuming the Saints win today and otherwise the falcons.

CJSchneider
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
The Bucs because I see us being able to beat them much easier as the year ends and Tampa looks to have much easier schedule. What that boils down to is we are more likely to have to worry about them for the Wildcard than anyone in the NFC East.

Caddy
12-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Sorry guys!

J-Hype
12-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Michigan supporter here wondering what happened with adrian arrington. Was a great reciever for the mmaize and blue and I know he waS tearing it up in the preseason. What's the word on him ?

wicket
12-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Michigan supporter here wondering what happened with adrian arrington. Was a great reciever for the mmaize and blue and I know he waS tearing it up in the preseason. What's the word on him ?

been added to the practice squad. I really think they are preparing him for when they lose one of the current receivers but he really just suffers from the depth at wideout for the Saints. Moore, Colston, Maechem and Henderson are all starting calibre receivers and the fifth spot is always for a special teamer with Payton.

If Arrington would either be more useful on special teams or if the Saints wouldnt have the great depth @wideout I think he would see a ton of playing time. Really suprised noone else picked him up yet tbqh

CJSchneider
12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
but he really just suffers from the depth at wideout for the Saints. ..... Really surprised no one else picked him up yet tbqh

That pretty much sums it up.

Auron
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I think if he has another successful pre-season and doesn't crack the final roster he won't be with us anymore.

Auron
12-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry guys!

It's alright man, you gave it your all and tried... those pesky Falcons just seem to be getting all the breaks this year... We just got to go into Atlanta and take care of things ourselves.. if we want any shot of the Division going forward.

also regarding the game yesterday overall some good, some bad.. obviously we came up in the clutch again, and the wizardry of Brees/Payton pulled off a masterful freeze play on the 4th & 2 late on the game to draw an offsides and ultimately win the game. However it's not good that that game was that close, we shouldn't have allowed the Bengals to get back in it after going up 20-6. For the 2nd straight week we blow a lead and allow a team to come back.

The Defense was poor in the 2nd half, and the Special teams play was awful all day. We really can't allow ourselves to continue to play like this and expect to continue to win in this fashion every week. Have to start putting teams away sooner.

diabsoule
12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Woooooooo! I'm getting a Jahri Evans jersey for Christmas!

wicket
12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Im also really rootin for Ivory to get 1000 yards, would be awesome for the first 1000 yard rusher since deuce and the return to the superdome season to be an UDRFA

CJSchneider
12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Im also really rootin for Ivory to get 1000 yards, would be awesome for the first 1000 yard rusher since deuce and the return to the superdome season to be an UDRFA

If he does, I would be willing to bet that either PT or Reggie will not be in NO next year.

wicket
12-08-2010, 11:02 AM
If he does, I would be willing to bet that either PT or Reggie will not be in NO next year.

Im pretty sure one of them is gone anyway and if I had to guess its PT.

Ivory is getting more and more useful in the passing game as time goes by and I think another back will be either drafted late or focused on within the UDRFAs and I if it doesnt work out I think someone like Julius Jones or Lynell Hamilton will be the third guy.

NOLAFan
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Im pretty sure one of them is gone anyway and if I had to guess its PT.

Yeah Thomas is definitely on the ropes compared to Bush,who will get the now cliched "He needs one more year" mess.

gpngc
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Sorry to be selfish but I have to ask...

The $1200 question is:

How much will Pierre Thomas influence Chris Ivory's workload this week?

wicket
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Sorry to be selfish but I have to ask...

The $1200 question is:

How much will Pierre Thomas influence Chris Ivory's workload this week?

barely, I think they will ease him back in

gpngc
12-08-2010, 04:39 PM
barely, I think they will ease him back in

I'd feel a lot better about it if they cut Julius Jones. Give PT Jones' snaps and leave Ivory alone!!!!!!!!

LOL

Auron
12-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah I don't think Pierre sees that much action, he might be in for a few screen plays and such... Payton usually is cautious with players coming back from injury, and especially so with the other Running backs we have. Ivory should still be the primary rusher.

If I had to guess.. as much as I'd hate to say it I think Pierre will be the one leaving NOLA this offseason... although Reggie Bush probably will have to restructure his contract. I believe his cap figure for next year is somewhere around 12 million... that is just absolutely way too much to be paying him, even if he is a fantastic player however he just hasn't been healthy enough and had enough production to warrant that.

Saints-Tigers
12-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Ivory has 1 reception this season. Even if they never want to split another carry, it's pretty obvious who will be sticking around =/

Auron
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Well win today against the Rams to stay a game back of Atlanta, Malcolm Jenkins came up huge today with 2 red zone Interceptions.

Would really like to see Interceptions from Drew come to end though, we can't keep turning the ball over against these better teams especially with Baltimore, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay as our next 3 games.

wicket
12-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Well win today against the Rams to stay a game back of Atlanta, Malcolm Jenkins came up huge today with 2 red zone Interceptions.

Would really like to see Interceptions from Drew come to end though, we can't keep turning the ball over against these better teams especially with Baltimore, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay as our next 3 games.

agreed, after we got up solidly just like the last few weeks the same thing happened, scored on the first two drives and then is the next three possesions:

- stupid drop on fourth down
- interception on terrible throw by brees
- fumbled kickoff return

that is one way to let a team back into a game. Luckily Jenkins stepped up and made the difference but this is really something the team as a whole needs to improve on iyam.

Why did they stopped running Ivory btw?

wicket
12-12-2010, 06:35 PM
ow yeah, and Roman Harper :roll:

Auron
12-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Why did they stopped running Ivory btw?

He had a hamstring injury and was held out some time in the 1st half. The running game really suffered when he left, I'm glad we had Pierre but he doesn't crash through the line and bowl through Defenders the way Ivory does.

CJSchneider
12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
I want Ivory back for Baltimore (and the rest of the season for that matter) in a way I can't even put in words.

Auron
12-17-2010, 10:34 AM
I've changed my stance on off-season priorities mainly regarding the Draft, I no longer think we need to Draft a Running back in the first 3 rounds; if even at all. (plus with McNabb getting benched this week things are looking really good for us getting a 3rd rounder from that Jammal Brown trade) Really we won't need another Running Back because of the emergence of Ivory... but the man needs to devote an off-season to conditioning so he can stay healthy.

So I say make an attempt to re-sign Pierre... restructure Reggie's deal, Ivory's share of the workload increases.... even if we lose Pierre, I guess we can keep trying to develop Lynell Hamilton and Julius Jones will be on speed dial.

I think the crucial priorities are 1.) An athletic, pass rushing DE... Will Smith can still get the job done but other than him we haven't got much production from our End spots, and pressure is at a premium in Greg Williams' scheme.

2.) SAM Linebacker, Weakside backer. I appreciate all that Scott Shanle has done for this team but with all due respect his position is in need of an upgrade, he struggles a lot in coverage and lacks the athleticism to consistently make plays on the edges. Also Danny Clark has done an excellent job filling in on the SAM but he's also getting older, I think we look to try and get younger at both spots, and put more of a playmaker back there.

3.) Defensive Tackle, Ayodele has stepped his game up but we still need depth here. Outside of him and Ellis we don't have anymore true Defensive Tackles, Hargrove is more of a 3-tech, End tweener. Also guys like Woods, Pressley haven't panned out for us.

Saints-Tigers
12-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree 110% with that post. Couldn't have said it better, that's exactly how our priorities should go, but we should never abandon our draft board, taking the best player is almost always the best option.

But yea, getting a nice end, building depth at OLB and DE and even OL(you can never have too many quality OLs)

CJSchneider
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
The rest of my day is just ruined.

Auron
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Baltimore had the perfect game plan against us, they exposed our Front 7 by pounding the ball.. and we had some terrible tackling attempts today. We also got killed by their screen game, on the other hand their Defense completely blew up any screen we tried almost instantly for a loss.

a team was finally able to expose our weaknesses at OLB and we failed to come up with Defensive Turnovers... the running game was also non existent today... I miss Chris Ivory. :(

wicket
12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
the tackling was just terrible today, it also showed why I would be okay if the saints drafted only OLBs next draft, we need some talent there yesterday

CJSchneider
12-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Our draft had better be defense heavy that is for damn sure.

diabsoule
12-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Agreed. This is something the fans have been preaching for years and our lack of attention to the defensive side of the ball in recent drafts has finally caught up to us.

We missed out on addressing linebacker in the first round last year and instead opted to get a CB that doesn't see the field nearly as much to justify a 1st round pick. A guy like Daryl Washington would have added much needed youth and athleticism to the position.

This year, hopefully, Sean Payton and Co. will see that we need to go all-defense in the first four rounds. Both outside linebacker positions and LDE need to be addressed. We also need another DT to play alongside Ellis, specifically a space-eating mammoth that will take up two blockers and help free up Sedrick to do what he does best: help collapse the pocket from the 3-tech.

I also feel that SS could be addressed as well. I like Roman Harper and feel his run support is top notch but he has just lacked the pass-coverage skills needed to succeed ever since he was drafted.

Saints-Tigers
12-23-2010, 01:38 AM
The secondary is outstanding against the pass and Harper is just flat out nasty right now, he's far from something to be addressing. He's a leader, he's intelligent, and he's a machine forcing fumbles and knocking balls loose.

He's come a long way, I really don't feel like he's a liability in coverage in this scheme.

CJSchneider
12-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I like Roman Harper and feel his run support is top notch but he has just lacked the pass-coverage skills needed to succeed ever since he was drafted.

Well I can imagine Atlanta is going to test both so the D had better be ready. No more of the kind of crap they allowed Ray Rice to do to us.

wicket
12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
if there is more than 1 of the first 4 or our picks not spend on the front 7 id be upset.

Ideally id spend them (not saying the value matches this on draftday.

rd1 DEnd
rd2 WLB
rd3a DT
rd3b SLB

Saints-Tigers
12-23-2010, 06:09 PM
At the same time, we DO need to stick to our draft board, we've been good at evaluating talent, and there is no reason to reach, taking BPA always ends up looking good down the line, even if it's frustrating at first.

wicket
12-24-2010, 03:56 AM
At the same time, we DO need to stick to our draft board, we've been good at evaluating talent, and there is no reason to reach, taking BPA always ends up looking good down the line, even if it's frustrating at first.

well, yes and no.

Drafting like they did last year almost feels like they were making a statement about BPA. I know it isnt true but it almost felt like they were drafting guys who didnt come close to filling needs just to show they were drafting bpa.

Auron
12-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Well I think it's sorely obvious that our team is in desperate need of fresh, young blood in the Defensive Front 7. We've neglected at Drafting young Linebackers for such a long time and aside from Vilma that position group is a mess.

We lost Fujita, Shanle is starting based on knowledge of the scheme but it's obvious he's getting to the end of his career, Clark is solid but he's also older and a liability in coverage, Casillas was supposed to the answer but he got injured, and it's obvious signing these washed up guys like Ingram, Simmons, and even Morgan, and Simoneaux doesn't work. Also we need pass rushers, and another space eater at DT.

I'm pretty nervous about this upcoming game in Atlanta, our Defense struggled a lot against Ray Rice, and now we have another great back in Turner we have to slow down. However we have to also find a way to not let Tony Gonzalez kill us over, the middle like he did in the last game. Maybe assign Malcolm Jenkins to cover him for the majority of the game? Out of all our DBs I think he has the best skill set to match up on Gonzalez.

CJSchneider
12-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, Rice spanked us pretty good and I'm hoping that loss was the dose of smelling salts we needed here the last two weeks of the regular season and into the play-offs. I also agree whole-heartedly about some fresh blood to the front 7. It's not like they didn't try with Arnoux and Woods, but I think it is a need we had better address sooner rather than later in any given draft.

Saints-Tigers
12-26-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm worried more about getting blocked than finishing on the RBs. I'm disappointed that Rice didn't even have to do anything special against us, he was just getting a full head of steam running through gaping holes.

I know it would hurt our DT rotation, but I'd like to see Hargrove get a chance at full time LE.

Seems like a nice crop of DTs and LBs this year, so that's good, but we probably aren't going to draft by need =/.

On the bright side, I think Charles Brown might be moved into the starting lineup with Bushrod by next year, which will mark the end of stinch, which should provide a nice boost to the running game.

I think when we look back in few years, Robinson, Graham, Brown, Tennant will seem like a really really good draft lass, and honestly, a lot of the guys we were pining for aren't doing crap right now anyway, though I still wish we would have nabbed Daryl Washington and Carlos Dunlap.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and of course we could pick out players at positions of need NOW, but go back and look at some of our wish lists, and then realize that would have sucked in comparison to getting a bunch of solid guys.

That's how the great teams have stayed great, every year people harp on the Pats and Colts for not taking positions of need, but they just find good players, and when you stockpile heaps of good players, you always have fresh guys, and you can always sustain injuries. Just look at us compared to a few years ago, we were still a very talented team in like 08, but we were so weak behind the starters we couldn't really sustain injuries. Now? We can sustain injuries with te best of them, that's one of the most important things in assuring a playoff spot year in and year out.

I've said it before, but if sharper is healthy, there is no reason for Shanle to see much play time. Harper can play in the box virtually every play as the third LB, and he'll be a better tackler, blitzer, and stronger in coverage than Shanle can ever hope.

CJSchneider
12-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Up by three at the half. We really need to hold on and pull this out.

CJSchneider
12-27-2010, 10:52 PM
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We play the Rams or Seattle on the road in the Wildcard game.

wicket
12-27-2010, 11:12 PM
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We play the Rams or Seattle on the road in the Wildcard game.

well thats about as good as you can hope for wildcard

CJSchneider
12-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm not going to be a bit surprised if we are replaying the game we played tonight 3 weeks from now.

wicket
12-27-2010, 11:35 PM
could be 3 or 4 weeks though. I could see the packers beating the eagles/bears

wicket
12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
How about picking Aldon Smith in the first btw, pure pass rusher. Could be a good option if there are some of the guys gone that we would be looking at.

diabsoule
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not going to be a bit surprised if we are replaying the game we played tonight 3 weeks from now.

I just really don't want us to have to go to Philly or Chicago

CJSchneider
12-29-2010, 07:41 PM
How about picking Aldon Smith in the first btw, pure pass rusher. Could be a good option if there are some of the guys gone that we would be looking at.

If he declares, I'd be fine with it.

I just really don't want us to have to go to Philly or Chicago

Yeah, we don't do well in the cold and wind, but I see us easily beating Chicago.

CJSchneider
12-30-2010, 11:23 PM
OK, make your predictions on the game with TB. I'm talking in terms of personnel and playbook.

wicket
12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Well I think its going to be really vanilla when possible, I think the staff will track what atlanta is doing and if that becomes interesting they will make sure of the win. I think Payton will start everybody and try and wrap up the game early and hope the division comes into play but when atlanta is up big and/or the game is wrapped up I can see lots of guys pulled quickly

CJSchneider
12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Adrian Arrington was activated from the practice squad, no doubt in place of Roby. I agree with the "vanilla" from us. Keep in mind, TB will be playing to win as well to put the pressure on NY and GB. I can see us playing a very slow, methodical, and safe game on offense. I see Julius Jones getting more carries than usual to give our other 3 RB's a light week if we can afford it.

Caddy
01-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Dear NO.
Please lose for us.
Yours Sincerely,
Caddy.

CJSchneider
01-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Sorry, Caddy. We are after that number one seed.
Also PT is on the injury report having tweaked his ankle and Colston had his knee scoped and is listed as questionable.

Caddy
01-01-2011, 05:16 PM
As if Atlanta is going to lose to the panthers!

wicket
01-01-2011, 06:22 PM
As if Atlanta is going to lose to the panthers!

John Fox wanting a last hurrah and the falcons chocking, seems pretty likely if you put it like that.

Prolly wont happen but you have to play for it

Auron
01-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Dear NO.
Please lose for us.
Yours Sincerely,
Caddy.
Well even if we lay down for this one, you need Green Bay and the Giants to lose don't ya?

Either way it's going to be an interesting Sunday for sure, I don't think Atlanta will lose to Carolina at Home.. but eh crazy things have happened before.

I'm excited to see Arrington final make a regular season debut, and I hope we keep utilizing Jimmy Graham down the field on Offense.

Caddy
01-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Well even if we lay down for this one, you need Green Bay and the Giants to lose don't ya?

Either way it's going to be an interesting Sunday for sure, I don't think Atlanta will lose to Carolina at Home.. but eh crazy things have happened before.

I'm excited to see Arrington final make a regular season debut, and I hope we keep utilizing Jimmy Graham down the field on Offense.

Yes..... But we need to beat you guys first!

Legacy
01-02-2011, 01:33 PM
John Fox wanting a last hurrah and the falcons chocking, seems pretty likely if you put it like that.

Prolly wont happen but you have to play for it
The Falcons are trying their hardest to choke, but the Panthers are just too horrible to do anything about it.

Let us win this game!

wicket
01-02-2011, 02:54 PM
The Falcons are trying their hardest to choke, but the Panthers are just too horrible to do anything about it.

Let us win this game!

Brees pulled
interception throws
td given up on fourth down
ball fumbled repetedly
false start on punt
Freeman horsecollared when going out of bounds on third

yeah, we are helping you win

Legacy
01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Brees pulled
interception throws
td given up on fourth down
ball fumbled repetedly
false start on punt
Freeman horsecollared when going out of bounds on third

yeah, we are helping you win
Thanks! http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif

Now, if you'd kindly root for the Bears and the Redskins so that the NFC South can have three playoff teams, you'll have my appreciation.

CJSchneider
01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
You're welcome, but I really don't see GB or NY losing.

Legacy
01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Chicago is putting up a fight, but Washington just sucks, so I'm not optimistic.

Still a good season for the Bucs, though.

Auron
01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Yea congrats to the Bucs, you guys had a good season. Not looking forward with dealing with you guys, or Atlanta for the next few years... it's going to be a brutally tough Division.

On another note not really the way you wanted to go into the playoffs. I know Payton pulled the starters in the Second half but... regardless we came in trying to win and got outplayed. Although I think things could have turned out differently had Julius Jones not fumbled at the 2 yard line...

Now the injuries are piling up, and man Ivory just cannot stay healthy for the life of him.

Legacy
01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Now the injuries are piling up, and man Ivory just cannot stay healthy for the life of him.
You've got a chance so long as you've got Brees.

Funnily enough, I've been feeling the same way about Freeman. It's a new experience for me, since the Bucs have NEVER had a franchise QB until now.

Side note: Could you imagine if Luck decides to declare and the Panthers draft him? Brees, Ryan, Freeman and Luck in the same division would be absolutely ridiculous.

CJSchneider
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
If you continue to use words such as "funnily", I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave. ;)

Auron
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
You've got a chance so long as you've got Brees.

Funnily enough, I've been feeling the same way about Freeman. It's a new experience for me, since the Bucs have NEVER had a franchise QB until now.

Side note: Could you imagine if Luck decides to declare and the Panthers draft him? Brees, Ryan, Freeman and Luck in the same division would be absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah but Brees is going to need some help, we can't just rely on him to throw it 45-50 times a game... because you're just asking for Turnovers which he's seen his fair share of already this season.

Right now he has very little help, We have no running back that can consistently stay healthy, and the Offensive line committed way too many penalties. Hopefully Ivory, Pierre, Colston, and Graham can come back healthy for the Wild Card game.

diabsoule
01-03-2011, 03:42 AM
We need all four including a healthy Malcom Jenkins for a lengthy playoff run. Without them I don't like our chances one bit

Auron
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm actually re-thinking my stance on not Drafting a Running Back Day 1 this year, if we can find a young stud Rusher for our backfield we should think about it. We can't rely on Chris Ivory at all, he hasn't made it through a game without some type of injury yet. No earlier than the 3rd round though, Thank you Washington for that pick.

Also it looks like Arrington is a keeper, some times it seemed like him and Brees weren't on the same page quite yet but that's to be expected. They haven't had time to build chemistry, he still led us in receiving.

CJSchneider
01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Da'Rel Scott out of Maryland may be there with our second 3rd round pick.

Saints-Tigers
01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Meh, waste. Run blocking>more running backs

diabsoule
01-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Da'Rel Scott out of Maryland may be there with our second 3rd round pick.

I'd rather draft a LB in the 3rd with that high draft pick than a RB. We need help there moreso than at running back

CJSchneider
01-04-2011, 06:48 AM
I agree. I was just naming someone who fit the value of that pick.

Saints-Tigers
01-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Getting stinchcomb moved for a true RT would do wonders for our running game.

diabsoule
01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Getting stinchcomb moved for a true RT would do wonders for our running game.

He has a resurgence of sorts last season but this season he has been his usual self. Could it be that next year we insert Charles Brown to be the starting LT and move Bushrod over to RT?

wicket
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
He has a resurgence of sorts last season but this season he has been his usual self. Could it be that next year we insert Charles Brown to be the starting LT and move Bushrod over to RT?

thats what im hoping for

CJSchneider
01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
There went our leading rusher.

Ivory on IR (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmOtIcAiW57F.pTe5D_zHVs5nYcB?slug=ap-saintsmoves)

diabsoule
01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Pierre Thomas to IR as well. This is NOT good news for us in the playoffs.

Auron
01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Time for Reggie Bush to step up and show what he's made of here, with 25+ touches.

I just don't trust Julius Jones at all, I mean he bobbled a clean hand off in the Tampa game, and dropped a short dump off pass.

Caddy
01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
I thought Reggie looked pretty good against us if that's any consolation. Julius, not so much...

Saints-Tigers
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Reggie looking good on a lot of carries is never a problem, he tends to respond well to lots of touches.

The issue is whether or not he will last a week or two on lots of touches =/

CJSchneider
01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Here is link about PT and Joique Bell.

Here is your chance, Bell.Make something out of it. (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Saints-Place-RB-Pierre-Thomas-ON-IR-Sign-RB-Joique-Bell/0d244662-c4f9-4b19-92f1-4d96922a6b79)

Saints-Tigers
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I think bigger problem with running the ball is just sticking with it. It seems like if we have a 3 yard gain or less, we throw the idea of running out the window.

We weren't uber running the ball last season early in games, we just stuck with it, and piled up big yards in the 4th quarter.

Gary
01-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Why is it that Colston and Brees do not seem to mesh early in the season. I had Colston on my fantasy team and it took about half the year before these two realized they were teammates.

Gary
01-07-2011, 08:54 AM
The Saints may win their first round game in 2011 but they will not go far. Too many injuries and league leading interceptions by Brees will not cut it against the top teams in the playoffis. That said, I hope they win the Super Bowl again (or the Chiefs). I married a Cajun football fan who was born in the heart of Cajun country and you can imagine how excited she is after last year.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Go Saints!
I think you guys got a chance to make it back to the SB. I'm betting the RB situation isn't as bad as it seems.

CJSchneider
01-08-2011, 10:28 AM
OK, guys. Make your score predictions for the game today

Saints: 24
Seahawks: 10

NOLAFan
01-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Saints:24
Seahawks:21

diabsoule
01-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Saints Inactives: Joique Bell, Charles Brown, Adrian Arrington, Kawika Mitchell, Malcolm Jenkins, Jimmy Graham, Anthony Hargrove & Danny Clark

CJSchneider
01-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Our depth is hurting bad.

CJSchneider
01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Our D had better buckle down in the 2nd half.

Auron
01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Harper, and Stinchcomb are not having their best of games.

wicket
01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Harper, and Stinchcomb are not having their best of games.

no shizzle, they are playing turrible

Bosanac01
01-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Damn Hasselbeck is killing you guys, but I smell a Brees comeback coming.

CJSchneider
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Linebackers and running backs, that's all we draft this year.

diabsoule
01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
We need linebacker (both), nose tackle, and strong safety.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2011, 07:09 PM
:( That sucked. Sorry guys. I love the saints; wish they could have pulled that one out.

Jimmy
01-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Hate to break it to you guys, but your savior last year could have stopped marshawn. twice. he gave up on the play. watch porter after he gets up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQULIUXZst8&feature=player_embedded

NOLAFan
01-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Hate to break it to you guys, but your savior last year could have stopped marshawn. twice. he gave up on the play. watch porter after he gets up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQULIUXZst8&feature=player_embedded

I agree with you 100% man. Porter needs to learn to freaking tackle, that shoving crap doesnt work. We would have been better off with Robinson in. Porter either loses his "God's gift to football" syndrome and plays or he can GTFO.

Harper was just awful in this game. Greg Williams may have been the top pick for the Denver job but i do believe he just lost that chance with this game.
Why is Julius Jones even on our team anymore?!

Loomis and Payton better make some changes to this team, makes some splashes with free agent picks, and quit bringing in this piece of **** linebackers like Shanle. Vilma needs some competent talent playing next to him.

End rant.

Auron
01-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes that was embarrassing, but honestly I'm not that shocked this is our 3rd game in 13 days, the injuries were piling up, (we honestly were down to 2 running backs today) neither of which were on the roster to begin the season. Plus we had to travel cross country to one of the loudest stadiums to play in. Even if we were playing against a 7-9 team we had a lot of unfavorable circumstances.

None of that can be an excuse though, the Seahawks were the better team today plain and simple. Still trying to figure out how a Greg Williams' coached Defense that played so solid for the majority of the season, can come out and play so terribly today.

Regardless I'm not really that upset, considering we had a taste of glory last season and to even get back to the playoffs after winning a SB was an impressive feat for the Saints IMO. There are a few things that need addressing though.

- This running game has to get fixed, as in we need a solution. Ivory might be that guy, but he hasn't shown he can stay healthy for 1 game even. Also we need to decide if we keep Pierre Thomas, and yes even Reggie. I love what Reggie Bush brings to this team, but he too hasn't shown he can stay healthy. He was sent off to the locker room in this game as well, what good are you to a team if you can't stay on the field? If he doesn't want to restructure his deal I'm afraid we might have to part ways with him.

- Defense needs some re-tooling, we can use to bring in Two new OLBS... one to compete with Casillas, the other to play the SAM. I'm going to be disappointed if Shanle is going to be the opening day starter next season.

- Defensive Line needs some kind of spark, we need guys that can put up consistent pressure, and even some more hard nosed run clogger type of DTs.

- Harper played about the worst game of his career thus far, I'm not ready to give up on him just yet, but it's obvious coverage is not what he's good at... Greg Williams really has to play him close to the line to hide his weaknesses. We're probably going to have bring in another Safety, because I think Sharper's run with the Saints is over. He brought some great veteran leadership, and made some great plays but I think his time is up.

- Brees needs some more help at Wide Receiver, I think we can upgrade from Devery, and Meachem hasn't exactly panned out as I thought he would. Meachem will be kept, and maybe they think Arrington can be the answer for a future guy to develop. This is low on the list of priorities but if we can make an upgrade here I think we need to make it. Also we need someone who can return Kicks... Devery, and Meachem are not good KRs... I'm not sure how long Roby is going to last.

All this depending whether or not we have a season next year.

NOLAFan
01-08-2011, 09:49 PM
-Brees needs some more help at Wide Receiver, I think we can upgrade from Devery, and Meachem hasn't exactly panned out as I thought he would. Meachem will be kept, and maybe they think Arrington can be the answer for a future guy to develop. This is low on the list of priorities but if we can make an upgrade here I think we need to make it. Also we need someone who can return Kicks... Devery, and Meachem are not good KRs... I'm not sure how long Roby is going to last.

I think Colston too needs to be evaluated. I love the guy, and what he brings but he cant bring it for an entire season. Its similar to your reasoning with Bush. Colston is always hurt or knicked up, and to make things worse, he is really getting bad with the drops. I think Meachem is good for what we use him for, yeah he wasnt worth the first round pick but he loads better than Henderson,who has progressively gotten worse as the years have progressed.

Auron
01-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I think Colston too needs to be evaluated. I love the guy, and what he brings but he cant bring it for an entire season. Its similar to your reasoning with Bush. Colston is always hurt or knicked up, and to make things worse, he is really getting bad with the drops. I think Meachem is good for what we use him for, yeah he wasnt worth the first round pick but he loads better than Henderson,who has progressively gotten worse as the years have progressed.

Well Colston will be here, he's been our most consistent guy the past 5 seasons. Even with some injuries, overall he's still been relatively healthy the past 2 seasons...

I do think though we need another go to option, I think Colston would be much more comfortable as being a complimentary type guy, Secondary option. Right now in key situations when we need a conversion teams are bracketing Colston in the slot, and our others guy aren't winning their match ups.

We need some more WRs that will go up and grab the ball at it's highest point. Aside from Colston, Graham, sometimes Shockey no one really does that in our receiving corps. They pretty much rely on Brees placing a ball in their hands perfectly. Devery in particular this season did not do a good job of locating balls in the air and making plays on them.

If we had a true perimeter type deep threat that could be consistent, that would open so much up in the middle of the field for Colston, and the TE's. I do think Graham will be featured much more in the Offense next season.... we'll just have to see what we do. I think they'll probably be content to just stick with Colston, Moore, Meachem, and Arrington will be the next guy up. I think Henderson will be let go.

fischbowl
01-08-2011, 11:29 PM
I4PGBSptYCI

CJSchneider
01-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Hell guys, we scored 36 points. The problem isn't the offense. If you look long enough you can find things wrong with anyone, but let's look at what really went wrong here. We gave up 41 points to the damn Seahawks!!!! Imagine what Tom Brady and company could do to us if we played that crappy kind of D. Porter needs to tackle better, we need a pair of new OLB's so teams wont carve up the middle of the field against us with the pass and run all over us with the rush.

wicket
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM
any pick not on defense is a wasted pick iyam

Auron
01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Hell guys, we scored 36 points. The problem isn't the offense. If you look long enough you can find things wrong with anyone, but let's look at what really went wrong here. We gave up 41 points to the damn Seahawks!!!! Imagine what Tom Brady and company could do to us if we played that crappy kind of D. Porter needs to tackle better, we need a pair of new OLB's so teams wont carve up the middle of the field against us with the pass and run all over us with the rush.

Defense is obviously the priority, but there are still some problems with the Offense that if neglected can effect us next season. For instance we finished the season with Zero healthy Running backs, we placed 5 backs in IR and 2 more left the game with injury yesterday. That is unacceptable, if we don't have a running game that puts more pressure on Brees to throw it 50+ times a game and that is asking for trouble. Also our Offensive Tackles played very poorly, Stinchcomb, and Bushrod struggled quite a bit and led to some untimely pressures. Which stalled some drives.

Just out of curiosity if you're Loomis/Payton how do you guys evaluate these players in the off-season?

P. Thomas, Shanle, Harper, Stinchcomb, Bush, Henderson, Shockey, Sharper.

CJSchneider
01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I really don't think Harper or PT will be back next year. The rest are 2- 3 years from departure. Bush is the only one I think stays 5 years or longer and that is because the flexibility of Bush in regards to the play-book.

Auron
01-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Pierre - I hope maybe we can work out some kind of a deal but I don't believe he'll be back I think Payton has soured on him after his ankle issue this year, and getting hurt before the play offs doesn't help his case. If he's still asking for Steven Jackson money I think he'll be playing else where.

Shanle - I'm hoping that at best case he's a back up next year. We need to bring in a bunch of Linebackers this off-season in both FA, and the Draft to compete. Dunbar, Shanle, Mitchell just don't cut it as NFL Linebackers.

Harper - I think they'll keep him, because it seems like Greg Williams likes utilizing him up near the Line... however he cannot be allowed to be exposed in coverage like that again. He will probably be the goat of the entire off-season for Saints fans.

Stinchcomb - I thought he had a terrible game, False starts, pressures, a sack given up... I'm not sure how hard they will look at upgrading his position but I do think it needs to be looked into. I don't think his play was up to par this entire season. That said he's probably still the starter next year.

Bush - Hopefully stays on a re-negotiated contract. However if he is not willing to work something out, I can see the team doing something surprising and parting ways with him. His production has not been worth the salary he's been given the past few years.

Henderson, Shockey, Sharper - all are reaching the end of their time here in NO, I wouldn't be shocked if any one of them were not on the team next season. I Still think Shockey can be a valuable contributor in a reserve role but time is catching up with him he gets banged up far too often.

Saints-Tigers
01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Even if we want Pierre, I don't think he wants to be here. He's going to want to go somewhere that he's more appreciated and given a bigger role, even though he's always hurt too.

I don't think we should go offense at all in the draft unless we get some good offensive linemen, you can never have enough of those IMO.

Bush is too unique to let go IMO, and the odd chance that he stays healthy, our offense might be absolutely dominant, and with proper blocking like the super bowl season, we'll have a guy that's a game changer in the passing game and a 5.5 yard per carry type of guy.

Harper: Move him to LB, haha. Seriously, when we were healthy out there in the secondary, our pass defense was absolutely stellar, he had a tough game.

Stinchcomb: GTFO. What good is a RT that can't pass protect well and is a total liability in the run game?

Shockey: Bring him back IMO

Sharper: Too hurt, and Jenkins is better

Henderson and Shanle: GTFO, no explanation.

I don't see the need to panic on RBs, you can't predict injuries with them at all, the job comes with them, and it kinda is just how you fall sometimes.

diabsoule
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Well, well, well... I have been wanting Stinchcomb and Harper gone for several seasons now and this offseason might be the chance I get to see that happen. Well, actually, I don't want Harper to leave. I'd like him as a backup but that's it.

Stinchcomb, well, he needs to GTFO. He had a rise in play last year but this year he reverted to his old self.

Shanle can stay as a backup and someone to rotate in, P.T. needs to stay as well. I love the effort he exhibits on the field and is perfect for our system. Reggie Bush can leave for all I care. If he stays then he can take a significant pay cut because the money he's making now just isn't worth it.

Jeremy Shockey needs to stay. He seems to lack the passion he played with before but he's still a legitimate threat from the TE position and would give us an excellent pair with Jimmy Graham next year.

Devery Henderson and Darren Sharper will probably leave this year, although we re-signed Devs not too long ago. Sharps will be gone, though. His contract is up and he's just not the same player he was last year.

Now, it comes down to free agency and the draft. There are several players in both that I want but the draft needs to focus on defense. period.

The man I want in the first round is Von Miller. I think he would be stellar in Gregg Williams scheme, even moreso than Daryl Washington, the linebacker I had my man crush on last year. Outside of Von Miller I'd like J.J. Watt or Allen Bailey.

Saints-Tigers
01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Yea, a blitzing OLB, would LOVE that.

Move harper to OLB? lol.

Allen Bailey as well, perfect LE. Stephen Paea too, I think if he drops to us he's too talented to pass.

fischbowl
01-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I figured it might be a bad time for this, but my buddies and I are going to New Orleans for Spring Break for a week, the week after Mardi Gras. Have any of you heard of the Frenchmen Hotel or the Place d'Armes or the Andrew Jackson Hotel? We might be staying at one of those places? Also tell me some cool **** to do.

One more request, is there a beach or something for either Lake Pontchartrain or the Mississippi River? Its tradition for us every vacation to go drunk swimming in a natural body of water

diabsoule
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I figured it might be a bad time for this, but my buddies and I are going to New Orleans for Spring Break for a week, the week after Mardi Gras. Have any of you heard of the Frenchmen Hotel or the Place d'Armes or the Andrew Jackson Hotel? We might be staying at one of those places? Also tell me some cool **** to do.

One more request, is there a beach or something for either Lake Pontchartrain or the Mississippi River? Its tradition for us every vacation to go drunk swimming in a natural body of water

Any of those hotels you listed are excellent to stay in. They're nicer, a little more upper class, and aren't that far from Bourbon St. Frenchman Hotel might be the best since it's on Frenchman St., which is where the more eclectic groups from the city hang out. It has more of your arts/local live bands playing original music, and the more eccentric type of people. It's also not that far of a walk from Bourbon.

Lake Pontchartrain has a beach but you will have to drive to it. It's off of Williams Blvd, if I remember correctly. You can ask some of the locals about that. Do NOT go swimming in the Mississippi River. It's polluted as **** with massive rip currents. It's just at, if not, a mile wide in New Orleans with whirlpools circling in some parts of it. The river ain't nothing to **** with.

And some **** to do.... Basically if you're New Orleans you'll be getting ****** up 24/7. It's an amazing party city. I don't know what kind of bars you like but if you can let me know then I can recommend some for you. Outside of that, there are some amazing places to eat in the city. Try Cafe Du Monde for a taste of New Orleans. They serve fresh beignets and cafe au lait right in the heart of the city. Eat local, don't go to anywhere like Bubba Gump or the Hard Rock. Try Yo-Mama's in the quarter for amazing hamburgers and Port of Call is also a phenomenal hamburgers joint. It all depends on what you want, really.

Also, the WWII museum is in downtown New Orleans, which is a fantastic place to visit. You can spend as long as you want in there but the minimum you will spend is about 2 hours. That's if you watch the excellent 4D movie narrated by Tom Hanks. Also, go Uptown and hang out there. By that I mean St. Charles St. If you drive up St. Charles you will see what helps make New Orleans the classic city it is. Beautifully crafted homes are on either side of you and you're not too far away from Magazine St, a street with great shopping, bars, and restaurants.

If you want any more suggestions just let me know.

diabsoule
01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Gregg Williams will be staying on as the DC of the Saints.

diabsoule
01-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Drew Brees would like to reach a long term contract extension this offseason
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/01/new_orleans_saints_quarterback_81.html

zachsaints52
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey guys, long time no talk. Now thats its draft time I will be a frequent person on here again :(

Hows everyone been? I dont really wanna bring up the game so heres to a solid offseason!

Saints-Tigers
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Well, both good news so far Diabsoule, hopefully that sets the tone for a nice offseason!

Auron
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Drew Brees would like to reach a long term contract extension this offseason
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/01/new_orleans_saints_quarterback_81.html

I think both sides want to get this done, but with all the Free Agents we have plus the looming threat of a Lockout... it really makes matters complicated which might put things on hold regarding his extension.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Hey guys, Carl Nicks question here.

How likely is it you sign him to a long term deal? I know you just signed Evans to a huge deal, wodering if you'd have two guards with very big contracts.

Also, if you don't sign him long term, would he be available for a second round pick?

Auron
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM

How likely is it you sign him to a long term deal? I know you just signed Evans to a huge deal, wodering if you'd have two guards with very big contracts.

Also, if you don't sign him long term, would he be available for a second round pick?

I hope we lock him up long term, he still has some discipline things he can work on but he just a plain beast when he's on.

diabsoule
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM

I don't think Nicks is going anywhere. He's one of the best members of our OL and even with the contract we gave Evans I don't think it will affect what kind of contract we give Nicks since he deserves every penny.

Saints-Tigers
01-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Even if we pay out the ass for two amazing G's, it won't cost us nearly as much as top tier LT, and two dominant interior linemen is much better than one premier pass protector, especially given Brees' height and need for interior throwing lanes.

zachsaints52
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Even if we pay out the ass for two amazing G's, it won't cost us nearly as much as top tier LT, and two dominant interior linemen is much better than one premier pass protector, especially given Brees' height and need for interior throwing lanes.

Exactly. Brees throws alot of 3 step passes, so our OGs are more important then OT really. I love Evan and especially Nicks (Nicks played better the Evans I think this year), so I think for our team we would be better with these two and the Charles Browns and Jerome Bushrods. Now if we could somehow get Kris O'Dowd in the draft..... <3 (I know we got Tennant, just a pipe dream)

bullg8rdaddy
01-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Greetings fellas, how likely would it be for your FO to go and sign Carolina RB DeAngelo Williams? Would he be an upgrade?

I'll hang up and listen.

fischbowl
01-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Any of those hotels you listed are excellent to stay in. They're nicer, a little more upper class, and aren't that far from Bourbon St. Frenchman Hotel might be the best since it's on Frenchman St., which is where the more eclectic groups from the city hang out. It has more of your arts/local live bands playing original music, and the more eccentric type of people. It's also not that far of a walk from Bourbon.

Lake Pontchartrain has a beach but you will have to drive to it. It's off of Williams Blvd, if I remember correctly. You can ask some of the locals about that. Do NOT go swimming in the Mississippi River. It's polluted as **** with massive rip currents. It's just at, if not, a mile wide in New Orleans with whirlpools circling in some parts of it. The river ain't nothing to **** with.

And some **** to do.... Basically if you're New Orleans you'll be getting ****** up 24/7. It's an amazing party city. I don't know what kind of bars you like but if you can let me know then I can recommend some for you. Outside of that, there are some amazing places to eat in the city. Try Cafe Du Monde for a taste of New Orleans. They serve fresh beignets and cafe au lait right in the heart of the city. Eat local, don't go to anywhere like Bubba Gump or the Hard Rock. Try Yo-Mama's in the quarter for amazing hamburgers and Port of Call is also a phenomenal hamburgers joint. It all depends on what you want, really.

Also, the WWII museum is in downtown New Orleans, which is a fantastic place to visit. You can spend as long as you want in there but the minimum you will spend is about 2 hours. That's if you watch the excellent 4D movie narrated by Tom Hanks. Also, go Uptown and hang out there. By that I mean St. Charles St. If you drive up St. Charles you will see what helps make New Orleans the classic city it is. Beautifully crafted homes are on either side of you and you're not too far away from Magazine St, a street with great shopping, bars, and restaurants.

If you want any more suggestions just let me know.

I plan on drinking mostly from the time I get up to the time I eventually pass out. Its a common theme on our vacations. We're trying to get as much local flavor as we can when we're down in NOLA. Cajun/Creole is universally our favourite cuisine and we plan on eating at least dinner out every night and go to classic, local New Orleans restaurants. We've been thinking about places like Broussard's and Tujague's.

My best friend and I do a lot of urban exploring/walking, what are some safer yet eclectic neighbourhoods that would be good for exploring?

Three of the five people going won't be 21 yet, will fake IDs be an issue?

diabsoule
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I plan on drinking mostly from the time I get up to the time I eventually pass out. Its a common theme on our vacations. We're trying to get as much local flavor as we can when we're down in NOLA. Cajun/Creole is universally our favourite cuisine and we plan on eating at least dinner out every night and go to classic, local New Orleans restaurants. We've been thinking about places like Broussard's and Tujague's.

My best friend and I do a lot of urban exploring/walking, what are some safer yet eclectic neighbourhoods that would be good for exploring?

From what I have heard, Tujague's is overrated and the menu is fixed and limited. It's also somewhat expensive. I don't know what your price range is but if you let me know then I can recommend different places in downtown New Orleans and the surrounding areas. I will recommend Deanie's for seafood. It is one of my favorite places to dine when in New Orleans. Try the BBQ shrimp. It's ******* fantastic. Also try eating at Mother's, they serve some of the best poboys in the city.

The Marigny is a safe, eclectic neighborhood and is located right next to the French Quarter. Lakeview is nice for a ride around and you can still see the effects that Katrina had on the neighborhood. The Uptown area, especially by Tulane and Loyola, is full of New Orleans charm and there is also Audubon Park close by.

Fake ID's shouldn't be an issue but it all depends on the bars. Usually the bars Uptown are more college oriented so ID's really aren't a problem. Downtown in the Quarter it's hit or miss.

zachsaints52
01-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Greetings fellas, how likely would it be for your FO to go and sign Carolina RB DeAngelo Williams? Would he be an upgrade?

I'll hang up and listen.

Personally DeAngelo is a awesome RB, but I would not want him. The contract he will want will not allow us to sign some of our FA's this year, and to be honest we can find a RB to help carry the load like we have done with PT, Ivory, etc... RB is the easiest to find, and DeAngelo will wanna get paid.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-18-2011, 04:18 AM

From what I have heard, Tujague's is overrated and the menu is fixed and limited. It's also somewhat expensive. I don't know what your price range is but if you let me know then I can recommend different places in downtown New Orleans and the surrounding areas. I will recommend Deanie's for seafood. It is one of my favorite places to dine when in New Orleans. Try the BBQ shrimp. It's ******* fantastic. Also try eating at Mother's, they serve some of the best poboys in the city.

The Marigny is a safe, eclectic neighborhood and is located right next to the French Quarter. Lakeview is nice for a ride around and you can still see the effects that Katrina had on the neighborhood. The Uptown area, especially by Tulane and Loyola, is full of New Orleans charm and there is also Audubon Park close by.

Fake ID's shouldn't be an issue but it all depends on the bars. Usually the bars Uptown are more college oriented so ID's really aren't a problem. Downtown in the Quarter it's hit or miss.

As a resident of Louisiana, and frequent visitor to New Orleans, I have to agree with my friend diabsoule here on some regards.

I read what he posted about the Frenchmen's Street and I agree, I've been there a couple of times, and it's the more local strip as opposed to Bourbon Street/French Quarter. It's got a lot of live music places and places to dance and all that good stuff. However, if you're going to get ****-faced drunk and all, then of course, the French Quarter is the touristy place to go. There are multiple bars up and down the main drags and side streets to fill your heart's desire (and destroy your liver).

Also, diab's absolutely correct. Things like the National World War II Museum and even the Audubon Zoo/Aquarium of the Americas are cool stuff to do, but it all depends if you have the time or inclination to do that. I don't know what your plans are or what you've got on your itinerary once you're down there.

Now, as for restaurants, the city has a wide array of great food of all kinds. Like diab said, steer clear of places like the Hard Rock Cafe or Bubba Gump or even Landry's (unless that's your thing). Personally, I find Deanie's to be all fried food and Mother's overrated. That's my opinion. I don't find Mother's to be all what it worth. No po-boy is worth standing around for an hour and then having no place to sit to eat it. Just sayin'. There are other options in the city.

Like diab said, if you do have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll see what I can come up with. I may not be the best tour guide, but I've got a few tricks up my sleeve.

Oh and on the subject of fake ID's, like my friend said, it's more or less hit-or-miss, some places really don't care and everyone will be able should be able to get into the bar (although some places like the casino are 21 and up only) but it's a matter of sneaking the drinks to the people. I do know some places are real lax about outside drinks, even to the point of letting you come in with outside beverages, but others aren't so nice about it.

diabsoule
01-18-2011, 02:07 PM

I'll hang up and listen.

I just saw this so I felt like I should comment.

While I would absolutely love DeAngelo in New Orleans I think the likelihood that it will happen is slim to none. We have too many of our free agents that we need to lock up (Harper, Nicks, etc.) that have been critical to our team the past few years. If we were to pursue a running back I would think it would be a lesser-tier one like the Law Firm (BenJarvus Green-Ellis).

diabsoule
01-19-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/01/saints_mailbag_24.html

Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune fully expects Jimmy Graham to be the starter next season at TE. I agree with him. Graham was too explosive not to start in his rookie season.

Auron
01-19-2011, 09:41 PM

Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune fully expects Jimmy Graham to be the starter next season at TE. I agree with him. Graham was too explosive not to start in his rookie season.

I think the only thing that held him back this season was his in-experience, and some injuries. The only thing that he really needs to add to his game is some physicality in Blocking, but even without that he's probably the #1 TE, he pretty much already was at the end of this year because of the injuries to Shockey, Thomas.

Now if only we could have our Running backs stay healthy.

diabsoule
01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/01/new_orleans_saints_p_thomas_mo.html

Thomas Morstead has successful shoulder surgery.

I didn't even know he was hampered by that.

CJSchneider
01-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Was that his kicking shoulder? ;)

diabsoule
01-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Saints sign CFL All-Star DT Tom Johnson to a future deal
http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/2011/01/saints-ink-cfl-all-star-dt-johnson.html

Saints Dome Patrol
01-25-2011, 02:58 AM
Howdy to all the Who Dat Nation here on the forum! I was perusing the posts here and would like to point out that the Saints have a lot of questions marks that they are going to have to deal with this off-season.

The big item is surrounding the collective bargaining agreement that has to be reached and how the terms would affect the Saints, mostly how many players on the team would become free agents.

There are several key players on this team that might be eligible for free agency, depending on the new CBA (if the players and the owners agree to one in the first place), including LB Scott Shanle, WR Lance Moore, S Roman Harper OT Jermon Bushrod and RB Pierre Thomas.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-25-2011, 03:36 AM

I think the only thing that held him back this season was his in-experience, and some injuries. The only thing that he really needs to add to his game is some physicality in Blocking, but even without that he's probably the #1 TE, he pretty much already was at the end of this year because of the injuries to Shockey, Thomas.

Now if only we could have our Running backs stay healthy.

I have to agree with Auron here. As good as Jimmy Graham ended being as a sure-handed target for Drew Brees, he was a question mark when we drafted him earlier that April. The guy had only played one year of football at Miami and there was no guarantee that he would be successful in the NFL.

I believe that he will become the new number one tight end this season (if there is a season) but I do believe both Shockey and "Double Stack" Dave Thomas come back, even if it means Shockey has to take a pay cut. Thomas is probably the best blocking tight end we have and Shockey is in the downside of his career (in my opinion) and probably won't get too many looks in the free agency market. And if he does, Graham should be able to slide in that role quite nicely.

And Auron, I agree 100% with you. We definitely need healthy running backs, whether it's Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Chris Ivory, Lynell Hamilton, P.J. Hill, Julius Jones, DeShawn Wynn, diabsoule, whoever! We need at least four healthy running backs in carry the ball, catch out of the backfield, block -- whatever it takes! Is that really too hard to ask?!

CJSchneider
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b80V0

Dennis Allen just left to be the defensive coordinator for the Broncos. An speculation as to who we may get to be our secondary coach?

NOLAFan
01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
And Auron, I agree 100% with you. We definitely need healthy running backs, whether it's Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Chris Ivory, Lynell Hamilton, P.J. Hill, Julius Jones, DeShawn Wynn, diabsoule, whoever! We need at least four healthy running backs in carry the ball, catch out of the backfield, block -- whatever it takes! Is that really too hard to ask?!

As long as its not Jones, i have no problem with those other RBs

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Just did a little housekeeping in the Saints forum.

diabsoule
02-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Do ya'll think Sedrick Ellis' best fit as at NT or UT (3-tech)?

Saints-Tigers
02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't think it matters, he's outstanding using pure power to stack the line, while still being able to push the pocket, and he's an excellent penetrator.

Get the best DTs available and play Sedrick to their strength.

Run downs, Sed can be the UT and you can put him next to a big run stuffer, and on passing downs, he can shift to the nose, and you can play a quicker penetrator with him.

Gives us a lot of flexibility on stunts as well.

diabsoule
02-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Sean Payton's new place (w/ pics)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/18568/take-a-look-at-sean-paytons-place

Also, Tony Oden has replaced Dennis Allen as the secondary coach
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/14718941

CJSchneider
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Oden being promoted is good. He has been with the team for the last 5 years and will not have to play catch up so to speak as far as getting up speed with Gregg William's system.

Saints-Tigers
02-21-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm still frothing at the mouth for Shaun Rogers. I'm setting myself up for a lot of disappointment if he signs elsewhere.

Even if we get him, I'd love to get Phil Taylor or Kenrick Ellis in here.

diabsoule
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Saints have released Jeremy Shockey. I'm sure no one is surprised by that

CJSchneider
02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't say I'm not surprised. I did expect some more attempts to keep him based on the fact that Payton was with NY when they drafted him.

Auron
02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I too thought they would try to keep him around for another year even with a decreased role to mentor Graham. However I guess they thought it was his time, I can see their line of thinking he's getting older, he's been injured quite often as of late, and with Graham rising into a very good player that made Shockey a bit expendable.

I thank Jeremy Shockey for all his contributions to the team, and wish him good luck wherever he goes.

Saints-Tigers
02-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I am not even as big a fan of Shockey as most people, but given the way we use Graham, there is still plenty of room on this team for someone like Shockey.

wicket
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
do we now draft Kyle Rudolph if he is there for our second rounder?

diabsoule
02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
do we now draft Kyle Rudolph if he is there for our second rounder?

I hope we ******* don't. We have WAAAAAAY too many needs to address outside of a backup TE

CJSchneider
02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree, but knowing our draft philosophy, I won't be surprised.

Bosanac01
02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey guys, can we have bush?

CJSchneider
02-24-2011, 08:49 AM
What are you willing to give up to have him?

wicket
02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
well I do want us to nab a decent backup TE somewhere, preferably FA though

wicket
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
useless rant

Ive decided I can live with a RB pick (although im still opposed to it) if its either todmann, kendall hunter or vereen, both fit in the saints offense well, both can be had with one of the 3rd rounders and both havent had injury troubles

Saints Dome Patrol
03-02-2011, 03:49 AM
As per the Associated Press --

(AP) - The New Orleans Saints says they've signed free-agent defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to a one-year contract.
Rogers is a former three-time Pro Bowl player who was recently released by Cleveland.
Saints general manager Mickey Loomis says the club on Tuesday also tendered offers to 10 restricted free agents. However, those tenders could be voided by a new collective bargaining agreement currently being negotiated by NFL owners and the players' union.
The tenders were offered to defensive tackle Remi Ayodele, left tackle Jermon Bushrod, left guard Carl Nicks, safeties Roman Harper and Usama Young, running back Pierre Thomas, receiver Lance Moore, tight end David Thomas, kicker Garrett Hartley and defensive end Jeff Charleston.

What do you guys think? Personally, I congratulate the Saints for taking decisive action to sign Rogers which fills a huge hole in our defense (pun intended) and helps us immediately.

Who Dat Nation
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
useless rant

Ive decided I can live with a RB pick (although im still opposed to it) if its either todmann, kendall hunter or vereen, both fit in the saints offense well, both can be had with one of the 3rd rounders and both havent had injury troubles

You can live with it, nice of you. I dont understand your thought process, you think we dont need a RB, but want us to draft a TE in the 2nd round.

Tell me, who is the Saints starting RB right now?

wicket
03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
You can live with it, nice of you. I dont understand your thought process, you think we dont need a RB, but want us to draft a TE in the 2nd round.

Tell me, who is the Saints starting RB right now?

I never said I wanted a TE in the second round. The starting spot at running back is really pretty much shared between ivory, bush and thomas as of right now with hamilton being the fourth guy. Given that Payton likes to run multiple TE sets and the only guy on our roster is a Pure receiving TE with about 2 years of football (in total) under his belt I do have questions about the position. Even if you count David Thomas, who played about as much as Half back and full back as he did TE that is still 2 guys so no rotation, diversity or anything whatsoever.

But I guess if you want to be 5 deep in one position and barely 2 deep in another be my guest

Saints-Tigers
03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Wasting more picks on running backs isn't going to address the real problem in the running game.

diabsoule
03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
A.J. Hawk was cut by the Packers today. Who disagrees that we should go after him?

Who Dat Nation
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
I never said I wanted a TE in the second round. The starting spot at running back is really pretty much shared between ivory, bush and thomas as of right now with hamilton being the fourth guy. Given that Payton likes to run multiple TE sets and the only guy on our roster is a Pure receiving TE with about 2 years of football (in total) under his belt I do have questions about the position. Even if you count David Thomas, who played about as much as Half back and full back as he did TE that is still 2 guys so no rotation, diversity or anything whatsoever.

But I guess if you want to be 5 deep in one position and barely 2 deep in another be my guest

Ok, I admit to being wrong...

RB Pierre Thomas has agreed to a four-year contract with the Saints

This is a big surprise to me, didn't think we'd look to re-sign Pierre, happy to be wrong on this occasion..

diabsoule
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I am very happy we re-signed Thomas. It's very doubtful we go RB in the draft now.

CJSchneider
03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
A.J. Hawk was cut by the Packers today. Who disagrees that we should go after him?

I am very happy we re-signed Thomas. It's very doubtful we go RB in the draft now.

If we do go after and acquire Hawk, we are really going to be able to go BPA in the draft.

Auron
03-03-2011, 11:59 PM
I was surprised by Pierre being re-signed as well. I thought the course of events last season with the misdiagnosed ankle injury, and the tension between the Coaching staff meant he was on his way out.

This is a relief though, Pierre knows the system, hopefully last season was just a fluke with the injuries. I think this rules out the possibility of us taking Ingram by any chance.

wicket
03-04-2011, 12:39 AM
I was surprised by Pierre being re-signed as well. I thought the course of events last season with the misdiagnosed ankle injury, and the tension between the Coaching staff meant he was on his way out.

This is a relief though, Pierre knows the system, hopefully last season was just a fluke with the injuries. I think this rules out the possibility of us taking Ingram by any chance.

I dont think it rules it out, they went for another cb last year as well, the staff has some quirks drafting. it makes it even less likely though

Saints Dome Patrol
03-04-2011, 03:24 AM

I am also surprised at this re-signing. The fact that Pierre Thomas was injured for the majority of the season, I really thought he would be on his way out at the end of the year.

However, if we would have lost him, we would have been seriously would have been short-handed at the running back position. Reggie Bush is not the running back that Thomas is and as good as Chris Ivory is, he doesn't have the abilities that Thomas has. Behind them, Lynell Hamilton, Ladell Betts and Julius Jones are nowhere close to Thomas in terms of ability.

Now, I agree, we probably won't select Mark Ingram or any of the top running backs in the draft, but we all know the Saints have made some head-scratching moves in the past (the Robert Meachem draft anyone?) but hopefully, New Orleans will stay on the defensive side of the ball and help improve the front seven.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-04-2011, 03:40 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw this, but the New Orleans Saints in the light of their upcoming 45th season, the club named their all-time team. I decided to put it up here and see what the fans on the forum thought of the selections.

NEW ORLEANS - The Saints Hall of Fame selection committee met recently and selected the franchise's all-time team as the club heads into its 45th year of competition. The committee, currently comprised of 19 prominent members of the local media representing print, television and radio chooses a Saints all-time team every five years. The current edition features all eras of Saints history, with 19 of the 29 honorees being named as unanimous selections.

The following is the list of the All-Time Saints team, along with their years of service to the Saints:

OFFENSE

Wide Receiver Eric Martin* (1985-93)

Wide Receiver Joe Horn* (2000-06)

Center John Hill* (1975-84)

Guard Jim Dombrowski* (1986-96)

Guard Jahri Evans* (2006-present)

Tackle Willie Roaf* (1993-2001)

Tackle Stan Brock* (1980-92)

Tight End Hoby Brenner* (1981-93)

Quarterback Drew Brees* (2006-present)

Running Back Dalton Hilliard* (1986-93)

Running Back Deuce McAllister (2001-09)

Athlete Reggie Bush (2006-present)

DEFENSE

Defensive Line Wayne Martin (1989-99)

Defensive Line Jim Wilks (1981-93)

Defensive Line Joe Johnson* (1994-98, 2000-01)

Defensive Line Will Smith (2004-present)

Linebacker Sam Mills* (1986-94)

Linebacker Vaughan Johnson* (1986-93)

Linebacker Rickey Jackson* (1981-93)

Linebacker Pat Swilling* (1986-92)

Cornerback Dave Waymer* (1980-89)

Cornerback Mike McKenzie (2004-09)

Safety Tommy Myers (1972-81)

Safety Sammy Knight (1997-02)

SPECIALISTS

Kicker Morten Andersen* (1982-94)

Punter Tommy Barnhardt (1987, 89-94, 99)

Special Teamer Fred McAfee* (1991-93, 2000-06)

Kick/Punt Returner Michael Lewis* (2001-06)

COACH

Sean Payton (2006-present)

*-unanimous selection

Personally, I have no issues with their offensive selections, even though, I'll admit, Archie Manning was the face of this franchise for a long time and deserves some sort of recognition. Danny Abramowicz was also an excellent receiver for the Saints, but I can't disagree with Eric Martin and Joe Horn, both great wideouts who were mega-popular in the Big Easy.

With regards to the defense, I suppose neither La'Roi Glover and Renaldo Turnbull weren't as good as Will Smith, according to the selection committee. But I'm happy to see that the ENTIRE Dome Patrol were unanimous selections, as they are probably the best linebacker corps in the history of the NFL (the NFL Network even selected them over the Steel Curtain, for goodness sakes!) and of course, the special teams are absolutely the right picks.

The only question I have, is Sean Payton a better coach than Jim Mora? I know, I know, Payton won us a Super Bowl ring and Mora never won a game in the post-season (playoffs?!?) -- but Mora was a good coach in his own right. If he would have had some sort of offense to go with the Dome Patrol defense and benefit from not having the L.A. Rams or more importantly, the San Francisco 49ers in their division, I'm sure he could have won the big one at least once.

Thoughts? Opinions?

CJSchneider
03-04-2011, 11:05 AM

He resigned a 5 year deal. :(

Auron
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd give the nod to Payton as Coach, Mora was a good coach in his own right but he could never quite get the Offense to the right level in his years. Payton also has that killer instinct and is much more willing to take risks... which sometimes fail but he's not afraid to go for it.

Saints-Tigers
03-05-2011, 04:20 AM
I don't think Mora is really all that close to Payton, Mora is nice, Payton has grown from a fiery young risk taker into a really smart coach.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I know, I'm probably not supposed to do this, but I wanted to let the readers of the DraftCountdown.com forums know that Draft Countdown's Scott Wright will be LIVE on the airwaves, at around 10 a.m. central time and will be accepting questions on the state of the NFL following the NFLPA's de-certification and what it means for the upcoming Draft.

To listen to Scott, go to TheScore1210.com and click on the "Listen Live" link on the top left of the page or check it out on the iheartradio app on your smart phones!

Call in your questions at (225) 499-1210, *1210 (cell phones only) or e-mail them to thesportssunday@yahoo.com! Myself and another member of this forum (diabsoule) are the co-hosts of the show and we'd love all the support from Who Dat DCers we can get!

diabsoule
03-15-2011, 03:31 PM
More GM Mickey Loomis on signing DT Shaun Rogers: "We were really up front about what our expectations were and he was up front about his expectations too, so we were able to find a common ground.”

GM Mickey Loomis on DT Shaun Rogers wanting to play for a winner: “There was no question that he wanted to give himself the best chance at success, and he made that really clear from the very beginning."

GM Mickey Loomis on signing DT Shaun Rogers: “He’s a talented player and it’s just an opportunity to improve our roster and give him an opportunity to play for us and be in a different environment than he’s been in. And so it worked out."

GM Mickey Loomis on the perception of DT Shaun Rogers being lazy: “I don’t know about that. We heard a lot of good things about him and obviously you always want to visit with a player yourself and be up front about what perceptions are, but we’re going to find out for ourselves."

Saints Dome Patrol
03-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Just did some minimal housekeeping, FYI.

J-Mike88
05-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Any of you guys heading up to Lambeau for the opening game, Saints @ Packers, if the damn lockout ends?

wicket
07-09-2011, 04:11 AM
just posting in here so the last post in here isnt two months old

CJSchneider
07-15-2011, 09:07 AM
I think no answer in 2 months says a big "NO" to J-Mikes question though.

CJSchneider
07-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Mark Ingram involved in an accident. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820e8e20/article/saints-rookie-rb-ingram-reportedly-unharmed-in-car-wreck?module=HP11_headline_stack)

Don't worry, they say he is uninjured.

CJSchneider
07-25-2011, 09:26 PM
UDFA DeAndre McDaniel just tweeted this;

http://twitter.com/#!/dmcdani2/status/95659053296001026

I like :D

Sveen
07-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Nice. I like it :)

FTRWRTR
07-26-2011, 01:03 PM
I really like the signings of mcdaniel and ricardo lockett for you guys. Lockett is raw but 6'2 211lb wrs who run a 4.37/40 don't come around often.

Saints-Tigers
07-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Ricardo Lockette is listed with the Seahawks by Blindsite, but I'm seeing conflicting reports for DeAndre Brown(one with us, one with Philly).

I'd like both of them to be tried here.

Sveen
07-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Usama Young might be on his way to Cleveland.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2011/7/26/2296600/cabot-browns-negotiating-with-db-usama-young

Sveen
07-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Updated UDFA list

QB Ryan Colburn, Fresno State (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2294195/saints-negotiate-contract-with-quarterback-ryan-colburn)
RB C.J. Gable, Southern California (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2296016/saints-sign-running-back-cj-gable)
FB Kyle Nelson, New Mexico State (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2296624/saints-sign-fullback-kyle-nelson)
FB Kolby Hurt, Missouri State (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2294132/saints-negotiate-contract-with-linebacker-kolby-hurt)
WR John Chiles, Texas (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2294034/saints-negotiate-contract-with-john-chiles)
WR Jarred Fayson, Illinois (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2294071/saints-negotiate-contract-with-wide-receiver-jarred-fayson)
WR Michael Galatas, Millsaps (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2296435/saints-sign-wide-receiver-michael-galatas)
WR Joe Morgan, Walsh (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2294008/saints-negotiate-contract-with-wide-receiver-joe-morgan)
TE Mike Higgins, Nebraska-Omaha (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2295965/saints-negotiate-contract-with-tight-end-mike-higgins)
OT Coy Beilby, Marian Univeristy (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2295281/saints-sign-offensive-lineman-coy-beilby#storyjump)
OT Carl Johnson, Florida (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2295940/saints-sign-offensive-lineman-carl-johnson)
OT Mike Smith, Nebraska (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2295614/saints-sign-offensive-lineman-mike-smith)
C Ryan Taylor, UCLA (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2296650/saints-sign-center-ryan-taylor)
DT Dexter Larimore, Ohio State (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2293900/saints-negotiate-contract-with-dexter-larimore)
OLB Jeremiha Hunter, Iowa (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2294054/saints-negotiate-contract-with-linebacker-jeremiha-hunter)
OLB Dwight Robertson, Oregon State (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2296499/saints-sign-linebacker-dwight-robertson)
CB Josh Gatlin, North Dakota State (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2295361/saints-sign-cornerback-josh-gatlin)
S Isa Abdul-Quddus, Fordham (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2293964/saints-negotiate-contract-with-isa-abdul-quddus)
S Deandre McDaniel, Clemson (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/25/2293780/saints-negotiate-contract-with-deandre-mcdaniel)
K Jake Rogers, Cincinnati. (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/7/26/2296408/saints-sign-kicker-jake-rogers)

CJSchneider
07-27-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...b-08e53405510d

Good stuff, Sveen. Here is a single link to all 20.

wicket
07-27-2011, 04:06 PM
I love the fullbacks, chiles and the DBs we got out of the UDFA pool

diabsoule
07-28-2011, 02:59 AM
I love the re-signing of Lance Moore. I might go and get his jersey now.

I also wrote a post about his re-signing in my blog if you want to check out (link in my sig)

Sveen
07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Looks like Reggie is headed for Miami. I wonder what we managed to get in return.

Auron
07-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Sad to see Reggie go, but after re-signing Pierre and Drafting Ingram it was a move that had to be made.

He was a player with a lot of promise, showed flashes of brilliance but never could live up to the potential mainly because of injuries. If he can stay healthy in Miami he still has a chance to become a great impact player.

CJSchneider
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
For the record, this is the second time we have traded a former Heisman winning, first round selection running back to the Dolphins. I wonder if Mark Ingram sees a pattern developing and buys some property in Florida just in case?

Auron
07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
For the record, this is the second time we have traded a former Heisman winning, first round selection running back to the Dolphins. I wonder if Mark Ingram sees a pattern developing and buys some property in Florida just in case?

Hopefully he does not follow down the path of Ricky Williams, and Reggie Bush. If by some amazing turn of events he does end up getting traded to the Phins later in his career I think the Saints should just stop Drafting Heisman winning Running backs.

CJSchneider
07-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Lost Usama Young to Cleveland and Remi Ayodele to Minnesota.

Auron
07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Lost Usama Young to Cleveland and Remi Ayodele to Minnesota.

Bound to lose some guys with the amount of FAs we had, I don't believe either guys are critical losses however. Usama was a decent special teams guy but never really clicked as a Defensive Back here. Remi I thought improved a bit this year but not really a true "Nose" Tackle guy.

diabsoule
07-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Scott Shanle signed a two-year/$4M deal to return to the Saints.

Not a bad deal at all. Solid vet presence.

Saints have lost two, released Randall ***, traded Bush and re-signed Shanle, Chris Reis, Danny Clark, Jermon Bushrod, Leigh Torrence, Lance Moore, Pierre Thomas.

The Saints are also trying to sign Carl Nicks, Johnathan Goodwin & Roman Harper to new contracts.

diabsoule
07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Who else loves the signing of Darren Sproles?

According to Jeff Duncan: 24 hours ago Saints had Reggie Bush & a $16M cap hit. Today they have Sproles, $9M in cap space, a solid ST player & draft pick from MIA.

Bosanac01
07-29-2011, 02:55 AM
I'm hoping Darren Sproles shows up fat or something when you open camp. We don't have guys that can catch up to him. Good signing, would love to have him.

CJSchneider
07-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Who else loves the signing of Darren Sproles?

According to Jeff Duncan: 24 hours ago Saints had Reggie Bush & a $16M cap hit. Today they have Sproles, $9M in cap space, a solid ST player & draft pick from MIA.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/16/129132430643060445.jpg

Saints-Tigers
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I think Reggie's injuries forced him to be underused, and Darren Sproles isn't as good.

BUT, since we only wanted to give him like 5 carries, use him catching passes, and returning punts, Darren is a MUCH better value on that paycheck.

Also, Darren can return kicks, I think we have our kick and punt returner covered, and we can do a few of the things we did with Reggie in the passing game.

We are soooo deep, I love this regime.

CJSchneider
07-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Just a question to keep the conversation going in here.

Of those players available / recently cut, who do you see the saints taking a look at?

Saints-Tigers
07-29-2011, 02:44 PM
I think we should target a LB, but we are said to be looking at Brandon Mebane and Cullen Jenkins.

I don't see how they fit, for the money they are going to command, I don't think either would start over our other DTs, unless they plan to move Jenkins to 4-3 DE?