PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

diabsoule
04-19-2012, 05:26 PM
With pick 122, I selected DE Tyrone Crawford from Boise State.

Atta boy!!!

CJSchneider
04-19-2012, 11:16 PM
5th round pick 162, DT Marcus Forston, from The U.

CJSchneider
04-20-2012, 08:45 PM
6th round, pick 179, TE James Hanna from Oklahoma.

Bert Macklin
04-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Yeah buddy Loomis

@LHolderCBS LB Jonathan Vilma had his contract restructured, according to a league source. No immediate details are known.

@LHolderCBS Greer's new deal and Vilma's restructured deal are cap friendly for 2012, via league source.

NOLAFan
04-21-2012, 01:43 AM
I'd still like to see Brees locked up sooner rather than later

Bert Macklin
04-21-2012, 08:29 AM
No way we could have done it with 400k under the cap. This needed to happen first.

Bert Macklin
04-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Wtf

The New Orleans Saints are a team without their leader on the field with quarterback Drew Brees unsigned, and a team without their leader on the sidelines with head coach Sean Payton suspended. And they may also be a team facing leadership questions at the highest levels of their front office.

Saints owner Tom Benson has often praised his 35-year-old granddaughter, Rita Benson LeBlanc, as the right person to lead the franchise for decades to come. But the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports, citing multiple unnamed sources, that LeBlanc is serving some form of unofficial paid administrative leave, imposed by Benson, because the man who has owned the Saints for 27 years is growing concerned with his granddaughter’s approach to business.

The report is short on specifics, saying only that Benson saw “a pattern of behavior that needed to be corrected” from his granddaughter. Among the issues raised are a “lack of focus and abrasive management style,” evidenced by, among other things, going through an estimated 30 assistants in her six years of working full-time with the team. She’s also reportedly “developed a reputation for stalling projects,” and Benson (who made his own money) is concerned that his granddaughter (who was born rich) has developed a sense of entitlement.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/report-benson-family-turmoil-an-issue-for-the-saints/

diabsoule
04-22-2012, 03:35 PM
That doesn't surprise me.

diabsoule
04-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Jut completed Mock Four on twitter with a bunch of draftnicks. I employed a different strategy for the Saints by trading out of the 3rd and into the 4th (picked up a 4th & 5th), then traded back from the first pick in the 4th and picked up two 5th and a 7th. So, the Saints had 8 picks altogether from the 4th round to the 7th round.

Here's the results:

4.27 - DE Tyrone Crawford, Boise St.
5.04 - WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada
5.12 - QB Russell Wilson, Wisconsin
5.25 - CB Shaun Prater, Iowa
5.27 - CB Asa Jackson, Cal-Poly
6.09 - S Janzen Jackson, McNeese St.
7.04 - ILB Shaun Loiseau, Merrimack
7.27 - TE James Hanna, Oklahoma

What do ya'll think?

CJSchneider
04-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Jut completed Mock Four on twitter with a bunch of draftnicks. I employed a different strategy for the Saints by trading out of the 3rd and into the 4th (picked up a 4th & 5th), then traded back from the first pick in the 4th and picked up two 5th and a 7th. So, the Saints had 8 picks altogether from the 4th round to the 7th round.

Here's the results:

4.27 - TE Tyrone Crawford, Boise St.
5.04 - WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada
5.12 - QB Russell Wilson, Wisconsin
5.25 - CB Shaun Prater, Iowa
5.27 - CB Asa Jackson, Cal-Poly
6.09 - S Janzen Jackson, McNeese St.
7.04 - ILB Shaun Loiseau, Merrimack
7.27 - TE James Hanna, Oklahoma

What do ya'll think?

3 great picks plus 5 camp bodies. Nice job.

CJSchneider
04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
With Alfonzo Dennard's arrest, do you see him slipping to the 3rd round and if he does, do you hope we draft him?

Bert Macklin
04-24-2012, 09:08 AM
So we resigned John Kasey. Is Hartley not ready?

CJSchneider
04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Final forum mock
Saints draft recap

89. New Orleans Saints - S Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State
122. New Orleans Saints - DE Tyrone Crawford, Boise State
162. New Orleans Saints - DT Marcus Forston, Miami
179. New Orleans Saints (from MIA) - TE James Hanna, Oklahoma
234. New Orleans Saints - WR Danny Coale, Virginia Tech

Bert Macklin
04-27-2012, 08:48 AM
So does Sharper retire and enter the HoF as a Saint? Every time I hear him doing some function he's with former Saints and always repping us.

CJSchneider
10-02-2012, 12:29 PM
So, what do you suspect we will do with the awesome 1st round pick we get this year?

saintsfan912
10-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Hopefully one of Star, Reid, that Swedish sounding guy from FSU or trade down for Montgomery. Pretty ****** we don't have our 2nd bc of the fake bounty ****.

CJSchneider
10-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Well we finally got "off the schneid" and beat SD last night. Brees and Colston were on fire.

CJSchneider
10-14-2012, 07:29 AM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54087

11.) New Orleans Saints - DE Sam Montgomery, LSU
73.) New Orleans Saints - DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
104.) New Orleans Saints -OT Xavier Nixon, Florida

Saints Dome Patrol
10-16-2012, 12:45 AM
So, what do you suspect we will do with the awesome 1st round pick we get this year?

Hopefully one of Star, Reid, that Swedish sounding guy from FSU or trade down for Montgomery. Pretty ****** we don't have our 2nd bc of the fake bounty ****.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking ahead... *sigh*

I posted this question in the actual Draft thread of this discussion forum, but I didn't realize it had already been asked.

As a Saints fan, I still hope for the best to happen, and of course, hope we can continue on our winning ways and get to the playoffs. Looking ahead at our schedule, it doesn't look too promising.

That said, if we do fall short of the postseason, depending on how good we do will determine if we are able to get someone like Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei or Georgia outside linebacker Jarvis Jones or someone who's projected as a mid-first rounder like USC safety T.J. McDonald or Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker.

As a Saints fan, I would hope we're more in the middle of the first round (if we miss the playoffs that is) since that means we probably went something more like 8-8 or 9-7 -- but with the remaining schedule we have and the way the season has gone so far... we may actually be looking at a top ten pick.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54087

11.) New Orleans Saints - DE Sam Montgomery, LSU
73.) New Orleans Saints - DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
104.) New Orleans Saints -OT Xavier Nixon, Florida

That being said, I see people are already speculating where teams will finish and doing mock drafts. Great. Season isn't half over and... never mind.

Anyway, I love, love, love the pick of Sam Montgomery. I am an LSU alum and have seen Montgomery play in person numerous times. Even though Mingo gets more of the attention, Montgomery is the more solid pick, in my opinion. I think he could be more like a Jason Pierre-Paul type for us, especially in Steve Spagnuolo's defensive scheme. I am surprised he was still available at where you picked, however.

As for Williams and Nixon, I'm not real familiar with either one of them, but they both seem to fill a need. I doubt that Broderick Bunkley is the long-term answer in the middle of the front four and Sedrick Ellis is really wearing out his welcome in N'Awlins if you ask me. And our two tackles are (inconsistently) solid, but definitely not spectacular.

I am very interested to see who you target with the remaining selections of this early, early mock 2013 NFL Draft.

Auron
10-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Well heading into Week 7, I think we're at a Crossroads in our season.

That first Win two weeks ago could spark a run, give us some hope. If we can just get back to .500 we'll be right back in the picture for a Wild Card. It seems unlikely, but possible... after all the team did it back in '07 pulling off 4 straight victories after an 0-4 start.

On the other hand if we lose at Tampa, and Denver I think that would be disastrous.. and at that point we're going to end up playing the 2nd half of our season for pride.

Going to need to see more improvement from the Defense, they played very solid Second halves in Green Bay and also vs. the Chargers. They need that performance to carry over for a whole game. Also I think we're going to definitely have to develop some kind of a running game, because we won't win in Tampa or Denver with Brees throwing it 45 times a game.

Legacy
10-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Also I think we're going to definitely have to develop some kind of a running game, because we won't win in Tampa or Denver with Brees throwing it 45 times a game.
The Bucs currently have the 4th best rushing defense in the NFL, but the 25th best passing defense.

The Saints have a much better chance of winning if they give the ball to Brees.

Auron
10-18-2012, 10:27 PM
The Bucs currently have the 4th best rushing defense in the NFL, but the 25th best passing defense.

The Saints have a much better chance of winning if they give the ball to Brees.

Oh I know all about the stats, and I know the Bucs have a completely new coaching staff. I still think they'll continue to Defensively play Brees how they always have. Which is mostly rush 4, drop back and keep everything in front of them. Take away the down the field routes, and try to force passes in coverage. It's worked in the past, and if we continue to throw, throw, throw we're bound to have turnovers.

I think the key to winning a game like this is perseverance with the run game, we might get a few stuffed a lot early but stick with it and hopefully get something going in the run game. I mean we have 3 arguable 4 very talented Running backs and none have really been used to their full effectiveness this season.

Auron
10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Postscript: Never thought I'd see the Bucs play so much Single Safety, Man Under looks. Their Linebackers played aggressive and downhill pretty much all game, and I mean they limited the run.. but therefore opening up huge holes in the middle of the field for Brees off play action.

Really thought Schiano would follow the Raheem Morris-strategy for Defensively playing Brees, and pretty much disregard the run drop everyone except 4-5 rushers into coverage, and mostly play Zones; but I guess we showed enough run for the Bucs to respect it.

CJSchneider
10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Flyboy, can we get the week 9 game thread up early and maybe work some pre-game juju?

CJSchneider
11-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Flyboy, get that week 10 thread open so we can celebrate.

Bert Macklin
11-12-2012, 10:10 AM
http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ivory-stiff-arm-11-11-12.gif

diabsoule
11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Chris Ivory made Dunta Robinson his ***** yesterday with that stiff arm and then him trucking him in the 3rd quarter, iirc.

CJSchneider
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I love Chris Ivory. He runs like he is pissed of at the world and the first M* F* who crosses him is gonna catch a world of hurt.

Bert Macklin
11-14-2012, 07:50 AM
I love Chris Ivory. He runs like he is pissed of at the world and the first M* F* who crosses him is gonna catch a world of hurt.

That's why we sat him. We built up that anger and unleashed it on the falcons.

CJSchneider
11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
That's why we sat him. We built up that anger and unleashed it on the falcons.

Then tell him to get his ass back over there and think about it for a while. Those Falcons are coming back around.

CJSchneider
11-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Loved the game against Oakland today. Our D is really starting to come around. Either they are finally picking up what Spags has been laying down or he has adjusted to what they are good at, but by any means, I like the result.

CJSchneider
11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
OK, so let's talk. Do we see the same CK that the Bears saw or will Alex Smith make an appearance by the end of the game?

wicket
11-25-2012, 09:51 AM
OK, so let's talk. Do we see the same CK that the Bears saw or will Alex Smith make an appearance by the end of the game?

didnt see the 49ers bears game so cant help you there but i dont think well see AS given that i believe he still didnt pass his post concussion tests

CJSchneider
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
I think we won't see him because CK is 2-0 as a starter and looked pretty good out there tonight. He is only going to getter as time goes on.

diabsoule
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Guess we'll be without Broderick Bunkley for at least a game following what he did today

CJSchneider
11-26-2012, 05:14 AM
Boone should have been ejected/receive a game suspension also.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/saints-dt-brodrick-bunkley-kicks-49ers-ol-alex-035816480--nfl.html

You can see Boone kicks up at his head first.

diabsoule
11-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Falcons fans have egged the Saints team bus according to Jeff Duncan.

CJSchneider
11-28-2012, 09:34 PM
We all know how classy their fans are.

Bulldogs
11-30-2012, 01:26 PM
No sign of Bert Macklin in the Falcons thread.

Bosanac01
11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
We all know how classy their fans are.

Come on CJ, we're very classy. Tough Luck last night guys.

Bulldogs
11-30-2012, 01:33 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1811349/fatguyint.gif

CJSchneider
01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/01/new_orleans_saints_player_stev.html

Interesting.

zachsaints52
01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
I hate anonymous sources.

NOLAFan
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
so apparently Kromers and Carmichaels contract have expired with the Saints.

CJSchneider
01-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Carmicheal I love, and want back. I wonder if we could get a guy like Tunch Ikin to come be our O-line coach?

zachsaints52
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I really hope we release VilmaSmith and Roman by god Harper. You know, the guy I've said for 3 years now we need to replace :(

wicket
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I really hope we release VilmaSmith and Roman by god Harper. You know, the guy I've said for 3 years now we need to replace :(

the other think is IAQ has honestly looked pretty damn good out there

zachsaints52
01-05-2013, 01:15 PM
the other think is IAQ has honestly looked pretty damn good out there

Needs to work on his tackling but better than Harper coverage for sure.

CJSchneider
01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Smith will be released and I doubt we resign Ellis and possibly Bushrod.

nobodyinparticular
01-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Tell me a little about Joe Lombardi. He's listed as the Saints' QBs coach. I'm looking around for up and comers on the offensive side of the ball as the Raiders look to fill their OC position. Do you guys think he could become a coordinator?

NOLAFan
01-08-2013, 12:13 AM
What do you guys think about the anonymous? I personally feel that this guy is a moron. Spags has very little to work with on this team. The few bright spot on that defense, i feel, showed in the season. Jordan, the safety whose name i can't spell, Mack, White, and Lofton really showed their talent once the initial rough spots on transitioning to a new defense were worked through but those guys can't do it alone. For this pansy of a player to anonymously call out Spags and say its all on him and that all the blame can't be placed on the talent is crap. I fully place all the blame on the players for this defense. Harper has much as i love him and the few good things he has done, i think he needs to go. Jenkins also love him but he needs to either go back to CB or they need to get a competant safety to play next to him or i see him leaving in a year or two as well.

CJSchneider
01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Tell me a little about Joe Lombardi. He's listed as the Saints' QBs coach. I'm looking around for up and comers on the offensive side of the ball as the Raiders look to fill their OC position. Do you guys think he could become a coordinator?

The short answer is yes, he will move up. I hope he does it with the Saints. He was a TE in college (Air Force I think) then coached at VMI before coming to the Saints. He has been in NO for 5 or 6 years and you see what Brees' numbers have been like.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-16-2013, 07:48 PM
So, it appears that our offensive line coach (and interim head coach) Aaron Kromer is leaving to become the new offensive coordinator (and offensive line coach) on Marc Trestman's staff for the Chicago Bears.

source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/44333/saints-lose-kromer-to-bears

Who do you think the Saints should target to replace Kromer? As you all Saints fans would agree, the offensive line has been one of the best units in the NFL the last few years. I hope that New Orleans finds a good fit so our unit doesn't drop off.

zachsaints52
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Tony Sparano. Just no OC duties, strictly OL.

NOLAFan
01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Well this is surprising. http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-Relieve-DC-Steve-Spagnuolo-and-Secondary-Coach-Ken-Flajole-of-Their-Duties/b712093d-ce60-4594-80bd-3d9593410380

Auron
01-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes I do admit that blind sided me as well, I thought we were going to give Spags another year due to the trying circumstances of last season. I guess Payton made his assessment and deemed otherwise.

Which I applaud him for. If you feel something is not right it's better to nip it in the bud and make the changes then stand put and let the problem grow. (In this case he felt the scheme Spags was running was not the right fit, and maybe his Coaching style/attitude rubbed off wrong within some of the people in the organization)

Now the next step is vital we need to find the right Defensive Coaches to fit our plans moving forward. Preferably a 3-4 Guy, with extensive Scheme knowledge to teach our players technique, and help them thrive in the new system. We also still need a replacement for Kromer at O-line Coach.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Well, I wasn't surprised to hear about Steve Spagnuolo's firing, but I *was* surprised to hear about Sean Payton's announcement to switch the defense to a 3-4 alignment.

I was talking to diabsoule on the phone tonight, and we were bouncing around names for Spagnuolo's replacement when he mentioned that the Saints are switching to a 3-4.

I was like, "The last time I remember the Saints running a 3-4 was, when, back with the Dome Patrol...? Is that right?"

So, who do you think Sean Payton will bring in to try to fix the train wreck of a defense we had last season?

Auron
01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
So, who do you think Sean Payton will bring in to try to fix the train wreck of a defense we had last season?

Just some possibilities:

Jim Tomsula, DL Coach. SF
Keith Butler, LB Coach. Pit
Ed Donatell, DB Coach. SF
Romeo Crennel, FA. Former KC HC.
Winston Moss, ILB Coach. GB
Reggie Herring, LB Coach. Hou

Some college guys at a glance Todd Grantham, UGA DC, and Kirby Smart, Alabama DC.

That's just throwing out some names, Payton looks like he's searching deep for this DC hire and won't leave any stone unturned.

CJSchneider
01-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Any of those guys besides Romeo Crennel would be fine.

diabsoule
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Just some possibilities:

Jim Tomsula, DL Coach. SF
Keith Butler, LB Coach. Pit
Ed Donatell, DB Coach. SF
Romeo Crennel, FA. Former KC HC.
Winston Moss, ILB Coach. GB
Reggie Herring, LB Coach. Hou

Some college guys at a glance Todd Grantham, UGA DC, and Kirby Smart, Alabama DC.

That's just throwing out some names, Payton looks like he's searching deep for this DC hire and won't leave any stone unturned.

Jim Tomsula - This would be a risky hire since he hasn't coached anything other than DL since 2005. He seems to fit Payton's M.O. of hiring a young-ish coach but I just don't think it's going to be him.

Keith Butler - He won't leave Pittsburgh. Other teams have tried to pry him away and he's declined. His a native Pennsylvanian from the Pittsburgh part of the state and has been with the Steelers for years. He's not leaving.

Ed Donatell - He's probably the best secondary coach in the league but he hasn't been a DC since 2006. His defenses can lead the league in sacks and takeaways but not at the same time. He's been linked a lot to Philly to be Chip Kelly's DC. I question why someone of his supposed talents hasn't been tabbed to be a DC in the NFL since 2006.

Romeo Crennel - He's being paid $3.5 million to not coach next year by KC. If he took the job with the Saints he'd be paid $0. I doubt he'll do that. Would you?

Winston Moss - He's the assistant head coach/ILB coach for GB. He's been with them since 2006. I don't know about you but it seems that he's pretty damn loyal to McCarthy and GB and has a pretty sweet gig there.

Reggie Herring - Never has he ever been a defensive coordinator in the NFL - all he's ever done is coach linebackers and he's old as **** (relatively). I think that's a "no".

Todd Grantham - NO. Georgia may be a solid SEC defense but Grantham's NFL defenses were crap and progressively got worse each year.

Kirby Smart - Intriguing possibility. His only NFL experience came in 2006 when he coached the Dolphins secondary. We've seen how strong the Bama defenses have been but how much of that is attributed to Smart? We all know that Saban has a hand in how his defenses are coached and molded. I would like to see Smart coach on his own and away from Saban before hiring him to coach the Saints D.

Here's two that you didn't mention that I think will be strongly considered:

Eric Mangini - The Man-genius hasn't roamed an NFL sideline in 2 years but the defenses he did coach prior to his ESPN gig were typically pretty strong. He prefers an aggressive D, which is what Payton likes, and is widely considered to be a brilliant defensive minded coach. I think he's a very strong candidate.

Dom Capers - Everyone knows what he can bring to the table. He can build and mold strong 3-4 defenses and with his contract being up in GB I could see Payton reaching out to him, especially since he has Bill Parcells ties.

Auron
01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I think this Coaching hire is going to complete hit us by surprise. It's going to be someone we haven't been talking about, but I have no doubt that Payton is thoroughly doing his homework on this hire and he'll get someone highly qualified, with great Coaching potential.

zachsaints52
01-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Rickey Jackson for DC!

Naga114
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Hello,

There is a thing that has been bothering me for quite some time and I'd like some opinions.

We can all agree that the pass rush is horrible and despite first round talent in our D-line (Smith, Bunkley, Ellis, Jordan) we have one of the worst defense in the NFL.
Defensive linemen did/do not meet expectation or did/do not develop seemingly enough (Ellis, S. Rodgers, A. Franklin, Galette, Tez Wilson, Tom Johnson, McBride, Charleston, ...) maybe they simply suck or our scheme do not fit theirs abilities but I feel like Bill Johnson should be replaced by a better D-line coach.
As we are switching to 3-4 and will have a new coordinator, I'd like the Saints to hire a replacement for Johnson.

Cameron Jordan played realy good this year, Hicks did make encouraging plays, Hargrove played well in the SB year, I guess McCray was adequate enough so I guess that he did his job, but I want more and I don't feel confident with him.

Am I wrong and if not is there a good candidate ?

Saints Dome Patrol
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
First, let me be the first to welcome Naga114 to the Saints forum on DraftCountdown.com! It's always great to have another Saints fan here to go along with all the other members of the Who Dat Nation!

Saints Dome Patrol
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Any of those guys besides Romeo Crennel would be fine.

CJSchneider, what do you have against Romeo Crennel, just out of curiosity?

Jim Tomsula - This would be a risky hire since he hasn't coached anything other than DL since 2005. He seems to fit Payton's M.O. of hiring a young-ish coach but I just don't think it's going to be him.

Keith Butler - He won't leave Pittsburgh. Other teams have tried to pry him away and he's declined. His a native Pennsylvanian from the Pittsburgh part of the state and has been with the Steelers for years. He's not leaving.

Ed Donatell - He's probably the best secondary coach in the league but he hasn't been a DC since 2006. His defenses can lead the league in sacks and takeaways but not at the same time. He's been linked a lot to Philly to be Chip Kelly's DC. I question why someone of his supposed talents hasn't been tabbed to be a DC in the NFL since 2006.

Romeo Crennel - He's being paid $3.5 million to not coach next year by KC. If he took the job with the Saints he'd be paid $0. I doubt he'll do that. Would you?

Winston Moss - He's the assistant head coach/ILB coach for GB. He's been with them since 2006. I don't know about you but it seems that he's pretty damn loyal to McCarthy and GB and has a pretty sweet gig there.

Reggie Herring - Never has he ever been a defensive coordinator in the NFL - all he's ever done is coach linebackers and he's old as **** (relatively). I think that's a "no".

Todd Grantham - NO. Georgia may be a solid SEC defense but Grantham's NFL defenses were crap and progressively got worse each year.

Kirby Smart - Intriguing possibility. His only NFL experience came in 2006 when he coached the Dolphins secondary. We've seen how strong the Bama defenses have been but how much of that is attributed to Smart? We all know that Saban has a hand in how his defenses are coached and molded. I would like to see Smart coach on his own and away from Saban before hiring him to coach the Saints D.

Here's two that you didn't mention that I think will be strongly considered:

Eric Mangini - The Man-genius hasn't roamed an NFL sideline in 2 years but the defenses he did coach prior to his ESPN gig were typically pretty strong. He prefers an aggressive D, which is what Payton likes, and is widely considered to be a brilliant defensive minded coach. I think he's a very strong candidate.

Dom Capers - Everyone knows what he can bring to the table. He can build and mold strong 3-4 defenses and with his contract being up in GB I could see Payton reaching out to him, especially since he has Bill Parcells ties.

I was going to say, diabsoule, you already beat me to the punch of breaking down all the potential candidates that have been mentioned/rumored.

But that being said, I have heard reports that it is possible that the Saints are going to hire both Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini to join the Saints defensive staff. It seems, in essence, Crennel would be the defensive coordinator and Mangini would be the defensive backs coach.

I don't know how I feel about this. I know that both coaches were on Bill Belichick's staff and won three Super Bowls in New England, so it's not like they don't know how to coach defense. And of course, both of them are well versed in the 3-4 system.

The only thing I have questioning this could the dynamic of having two former NFL head coaches on staff on the defensive side of the ball. Could they both coexist together?

I wouldn't be opposed to someone like Dom Capers either, but he's old and I don't even know if he's actually still on staff with Green Bay or not. Last I heard, the media reported that Mike McCarthy and the Packers had to do some "soul-searching" after their disappointing finish in the playoffs. But what that means, I don't know.

All of you Saints fans here on the forum know that I wasn't really keen on the Steve Spagnuolo hire to begin with. But it's not like I'm intertwined with the Saints front office or anything and have a hand in the coaching searches or anything.

zachsaints52
01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
So since the 3-4 switch how soon does Vilma get released?

Naga114
01-29-2013, 04:15 AM
First, let me be the first to welcome Naga114 to the Saints forum on DraftCountdown.com! It's always great to have another Saints fan here to go along with all the other members of the Who Dat Nation!
Thank you Saints Dome Patrol.

I'd actualy be happy if we hire Crennel and Mangini. I think they are terrific coordinator and could fix some problems.

So since the 3-4 switch how soon does Vilma get released?
I don't think Vilma is gonna stay. He left the Jets because he didn't enjoy the 3-4 and he may be a cap casualty/

zachsaints52
01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Vilma will be released for sure, but I am wondering if we are going to drag it out. I would hope they wouldn't try to restructure, giving his low play on the Jets 3-4.

wicket
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM

let me be the second one and as a dutchman the logical following question is whether he is from the good side of belgium or the french side

Naga114
01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
let me be the second one and as a dutchman the logical following question is whether he is from the good side of belgium or the french side
Thanks, I'm from the Brussels so kinda "vlaams" but french is my native-language.

wicket
01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks, I'm from the Brussels so kinda "vlaams" but french is my native-language.

fair enough

back on topic, i can see a reasonably plausible front 7 in starters with the current roster but damn every position has no backups even remotely worth playing time

Saints Dome Patrol
01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
As an aside, I find it unique that the Who Dat Nation is really a Who Dat World... fans like wicket from The Netherlands, Naga114 from Belgium and Sveen from Scandinavia... quite cool, if you ask me.

As for the Saints defense, I don't know if the Saints' current roster could seamlessly transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. I know there are parts of the puzzle there, but I doubt New Orleans could completely change their defense overnight.

CJSchneider
01-29-2013, 06:05 PM
CJSchneider, what do you have against Romeo Crennel, just out of curiosity?

Well, don't get me wrong. The fact that Crennel was a D-line coach for so much of his career is a good thing. It is his performance as a HC that I am troubled with. Granted, he has been a HC of some teams where he inherited crap, but I think you can get used to mediocrity, and I'd prefer we just looked at someone without that particular blemish on their record.

zachsaints52
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Jordan - Bunkley - Hicks

Galette - Lofton - Hawthorne (You say he can play ILB) Wilson

This is what I see since we will release Vilma and Smith as our starters. I also see Chamberlain will be cut since he strictly was a Spags guy. And hopefully ROMAN HARPER gets cut. (Sorry, I just strongly dislike his play.)

Saints Dome Patrol
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Just saw this and thought y'all might be interested...
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/01/49ers_could_have_multiple_cand.html

Naga114
01-30-2013, 05:41 AM
I'd be fine with either ones, all this talk about D-coordinator is making me impatient and excited at the same type, I may setting myself up for disapointment but it's gonna be a long offseason and I've got time to get use to the future choice.

CJSchneider
01-30-2013, 09:09 AM
all this talk about D-coordinator is making me impatient and excited at the same time,

It's good to know I'm not alone. Welcome to the forum btw.

diabsoule
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Guys, guys, guys! I found who I want to be the next DC! You ready? [inhales]

TED MONACHINO! He's the Ravens LB coach and he sounds dreamy. Here's a link so you can get a defensive coordinator stiffy.

http://www.ravenspr.com/coaches_personnel_bios/TED_MONACHINO.pdf

CJSchneider
01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
That would be great if he could turn any OLB we draft into a Suggs.

Naga114
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Since we are terrible at drafting linebackers the coaching could be difficult.

wicket
01-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Since we are terrible at drafting linebackers the coaching could be difficult.

doesnt help that we average about 4 draftpicks on average

Bert Macklin
01-31-2013, 03:22 PM
why do you guys want an unproven over Crennel?

Naga114
01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm not against Crennel (I'd be fine with him) but it's nice to imagine the options and the rumored candidates have nice backgrounds, are not terrible, coached some good units. It's giving me hope in a better defense.

Auron
01-31-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm not against Crennel coming here if he wants to. However I think the downsides with him are his age, Coaching is a very taxing profession one has to wonder how many more years he wants to keep doing it. Also Kansas City is on the hook for paying him next season anyway so you wonder if the desire is there.

diabsoule
01-31-2013, 07:35 PM
For the past two weeks on the podcast I have, I've been able to interview Kyle Turley and Scott Shanle #humblebrag #nohumblebrag #brag

Bert Macklin
01-31-2013, 07:46 PM
either way Payton has his guy and its not Romeo his guy is coaching in the super bowl.

diabsoule
01-31-2013, 10:18 PM
either way Payton has his guy and its not Romeo his guy is coaching in the super bowl.

That means it's either Jim Tomsula, Ed Donatell, Teryl Austin, or Ted Monachino. That's a big, fat pile of MEH.

I was excited about Monachino and then I realized how bad the Jags DL was from 2006-2009. And then I realized that Suggs was already a pretty good player before he started coaching linebackers. And then I realized I no longer had a man crush.

Ya know what? Let's bring back a former Saint and a guy who has studied under Dick LeBeau and Dom Capers. Give me Darren Perry from Green Bay.

Naga114
02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't want Rob Ryan, he does not inspire me any confidence at all.

zachsaints52
02-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Rob Ryan to me is a hire for a defensive coordinator that is loud and will challenge these guys.

diabsoule
02-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Good Lord, Rob Ryan? Really? For ***** sake. And interviewing Todd Grantham? Son of a *****. I think these two interviews prove that our front office can't evaluate defensive talent for ****.

For once I would like us to hire an up-and-coming defensive assistant to be our defensive coordinator instead of re-treads.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Good Lord, Rob Ryan? Really? For ***** sake. And interviewing Todd Grantham? Son of a *****. I think these two interviews prove that our front office can't evaluate defensive talent for ****.

For once I would like us to hire an up-and-coming defensive assistant to be our defensive coordinator instead of re-treads.

I couldn't agree more. God, I hope we don't end up hiring Rob Ryan. I really, really, REALLY don't like Rob Ryan. Look at the great job he did with the Dallas defense! Do we really want him leading our defense?

I think I speak for everyone when I say NO!

D-Unit
02-06-2013, 01:00 AM
I can see you guys don't like the Ryan hire, but I think you will grow to love him.

CJSchneider
02-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I couldn't agree more. God, I hope we don't end up hiring Rob Ryan. I really, really, REALLY don't like Rob Ryan. Look at the great job he did with the Dallas defense! Do we really want him leading our defense?

I think I speak for everyone when I say NO!

This was my first reaction.

Rob Ryan to me is a hire for a defensive coordinator that is loud and will challenge these guys.

This is the conclusion I soon came too.

I am going to keep an open mind on this one. He is a vocal, aggressive guy with 3-4 experience. I really hope he can set a fire under our defense's ass. What I am curious about is how he and SP mesh.

Auron
02-08-2013, 01:50 PM

I agree that these selections aren't really awe inspiring. However the pool to pick from is slim this off-season, especially with the 49ers declining us permission to interview their assistants. We missed out on Ray Horton because of when Payton got re-instated.

It really seems like it's down to Ryan, Grantham, and that mystery 3rd interviewee that Payton mentioned.

zachsaints52
02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I am personally okay with the Ryan. I hope he brings back the swagger we had when another loud mouth coached us... Or maybe it was Darren Sharper...

Naga114
02-08-2013, 11:33 PM
The swagger he could bring is not enough and I hope the mystery candidate is more inspiring or that Grantham kills it.

I wonder if we realy had a plan when we fired Spagnuolo, but if we are taking our time to make sure it's fine by me.

edit : Nevermind, Grantham withdrew himself from the race, and since there is no echo about the mystery guy, I suppose I've got 7 long months to get used to Ryan.

Auron
02-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Well Jay Glazer is tweeting that it's official, Ryan is flying in to sign the deal and he will be the next D-coordinator.

I guess it was process of elimination and Rob was the only qualified candidate left out there. Missed out on guys like Horton early in the off-season, Crennel seemed to not want to coach this year, 49ers assistants blocked interviews, and Grantham wanted to go back to UGA.

Not going to make a rushed judgement here, just going to let him try to prove what he can do with this Defense. He's experienced Coaching a 3-4, I'm interested to see how he goes about making personnel decisions.

diabsoule
02-09-2013, 10:22 AM
As much as I wanted us to get a young up-and-comer (DARREN ******* PERRY!) I'm going to reserve judgement to see what Rob Ryan can do with a competent offense playing along side him rather than having his defenses pick up the slack for the offenses ineptitude.

zachsaints52
02-09-2013, 01:24 PM
3 players I hope we go after in FA (assuming Loomis does his magic and gets us below like always)

1. Issac Sopoaga- Classic 3-4 NT that is expendable because Ricky Jean-Francois became better for the 49ers. At 31, I dont expect a huge contract to get him and he seems worth it.

2. Connor Barwin- Athletic OLB who would be able to help up with the pass rush. Since they just drafted Marcilius, I doubt they will try hard to bring him back.

3. Donte' Stallworth- BRING BACK DONTEEEEEE. He still has speed, and won't be expensive. Consider him Deverys replacement.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Just thought I would post the ESPN.com article about the Saints' new defensive coordinator...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8931793/rob-ryan-lands-new-orleans-saints-work-1-month

I will say, I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt, like diabsoule said.

diabsoule
02-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't see the Saints making many FA signings, if any at all. One player I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints bring in is OLB Victor Butler. He's familiar with Ryan's scheme having played with him in Dallas and should do well as a rotational OLB. Hell, he might even beat Junior Galette for the starting job.

diabsoule
02-09-2013, 10:27 PM
So, after looking at some cap numbers:
DE Will Smith ($14.5 mil - $9 mil base)
LB Jonathan Vilma ($8.6 mil - $4.8 mil base)
S Roman Harper ($7.1 mil - $5.25 mil base)

I think it's pretty safe to say that those three won't be back with the Saints in 2013. That's saving between $19.05 - 30.2 mil in salary. Or something like that.

Naga114
02-10-2013, 03:19 AM
I expect them to restructure but Harper is the one I'd like to keep (not a popular opinion)

They are team captains, if they are gone who are our leaders ? Jenkins who appears to be fine but his status took a hit this season, people want him to be Sharper so bad.
And with Ryan coming in, I'm not sure the D is gonna be fine, don't know what their identity is gonna be.

zachsaints52
02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
So, after looking at some cap numbers:
DE Will Smith ($14.5 mil - $9 mil base)
LB Jonathan Vilma ($8.6 mil - $4.8 mil base)
S Roman Harper ($7.1 mil - $5.25 mil base)

I think it's pretty safe to say that those three won't be back with the Saints in 2013. That's saving between $19.05 - 30.2 mil in salary. Or something like that.

Cutting a player doesn't just eliminate his entire cap number. You're not taking into account the penalties for their signing bonuses and prior restructures that gave them other guaranteed money.

Cutting Will Smith would only save 5.7M.

Cutting Vilma only saves 5.98M.

Cutting Harper only saves 3.6M.

Total: 15.28M. About half of what you'd hoped.

Restructuring Evans would save you a max of 4.5M this season, but would make future seasons even worse.

Restructuring Greer would save you a max of 1.75M this season.

Even after doing all of this, you wouldn't have enough money to sign your draft picks.

I already asked about it.

I expect them to restructure but Harper is the one I'd like to keep (not a popular opinion)

They are team captains, if they are gone who are our leaders ? Jenkins who appears to be fine but his status took a hit this season, people want him to be Sharper so bad.
And with Ryan coming in, I'm not sure the D is gonna be fine, don't know what their identity is gonna be.

They really can't restructure because iirc they are all on last year of the deals, so nowhere to move forward the money. Its basically take huge pay cuts or be gone.

Screw Roman Harper.

wicket
02-10-2013, 11:39 AM
the more i think of it, the more i think the cap is really troubling, doesnt look like we can do anything of note this offseason, could be a ton of veterans getting the boot. The advantage, we ought to have huge room next year with all the cap penalties were gonna absorb this year

diabsoule
02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
If we did cut all those three players, it would at least put us under the cap. There's also a pool designated to sign draft picks out of it. Getting under the cap is the main issue with the team right now.

We really won't be able to sign any FA's this year so we have to build through the draft this year using all five of our picks. It's something that we should have been doing for the past five years but have whiffed on, especially defensive players.

aregand
02-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Cap issues more reason to trade down I suppose.

I can see them letting all 3 go as they also had the most involvement with the 'scandal' and Williams.

gpngc
02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
What do you all think about Martez Wilson at OLB in the 3-4? He's got the makeup for it.

wicket
02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
What do you all think about Martez Wilson at OLB in the 3-4? He's got the makeup for it.

looking forward to it really much, i think its what he is supposed to play after seeing him being out of place as a DEnd this year. i legitimately wouldnt mind starting him. Having Junior Galette starting opposite of him worries me

gpngc
02-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Absolutely. Will Smith is another question mark as I really doubt he can play standing up. But he's still decent enough to play somewhere - maybe in nickel pacakges. I expect them to draft at least one OLB and probably sign at least one also.

diabsoule
02-10-2013, 01:22 PM
As wicket said, I'm looking forward to Tez in a 3-4. I think it's his more natural fit and will help him exploit his skill set more.
Junior Galette, eh... It should work for him more too, I suppose, but he's more of a situational pass rusher any way.

I think the Saints will draft a pass rusher, maybe two if they don't sign one in FA. If they do sign one in FA it's going to have to be on the cheap so I see someone like Victor Butler coming in from Dallas. He's familiar with Ryan's scheme and is young enough to still make an impact.

It's likely that the franchise would love to see Will Smith retire a Saint but the only way I see him coming back is if he signs something like the vet minimum which I don't know if he will or not. Maybe a backloaded contract can be offered?

Vilma makes too much money to come back and we've seen how he hasn't worked in a 3-4 before. Roman Harper doesn't fit Ryan's scheme at all so I don't see him coming back either.

Regardless, Loomis has his work cut out for him.

gpngc
02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't think Harper works in any scheme (such a liability in coverage), but what about Ryan's scheme is different for the safeties?

aregand
02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Maybe add some people to the scouting staff that better evaluate defenders. We always seem to do well on the offensive side for the most part but not the other.

Auron
02-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Yup with the way our cap is, we're probably going to be making little to no moves in Free agency. Other than making some cuts. Unfortunate but we've acquired a lot of bloated veteran contracts over the past seasons. Hopefully though we'll be able to start unloading those contracts and opening up cap space for next off-season.

Which makes the Draft even more pivotal.

CJSchneider
02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Loomis is going to have to do some Harry Potter/ David Blaine level crap to get us competitive this year.

diabsoule
02-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I don't think Harper works in any scheme (such a liability in coverage), but what about Ryan's scheme is different for the safeties?

Ryan requires his safeties to cover my field and blitzes them less. Basically he wants his safeties to do everything Harper can't do and doesn't want them to do everything he can do.

zachsaints52
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Maybe add some people to the scouting staff that better evaluate defenders. We always seem to do well on the offensive side for the most part but not the other.

This pretty much sums it up. Look at our late round/UDFA steals and then look at the defensive players we draft at the top :/

Yup with the way our cap is, we're probably going to be making little to no moves in Free agency. Other than making some cuts. Unfortunate but we've acquired a lot of bloated veteran contracts over the past seasons. Hopefully though we'll be able to start unloading those contracts and opening up cap space for next off-season.

Which makes the Draft even more pivotal.

And BRING BACK STALLWORTHHHHHH :D

Ryan requires his safeties to cover my field and blitzes them less. Basically he wants his safeties to do everything Harper can't do and doesn't want them to do everything he can do.

Harper needed to go 2+ years ago.

zachsaints52
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20110920-robch4-thumb-510x520-122094.jpg.ece/BINARY/w768I/

http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/0427_diora-baird-fhm-magazine-002.jpg

Yes. :)

diabsoule
02-11-2013, 05:08 PM
No wonder he sucks at calling plays. Look at those mammies! Good Lord!

CJSchneider
02-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Yep, I' like this joker already.

aregand
02-12-2013, 09:59 AM
It's 4th Q goalline stand- 4th and 1. We need a playcall to win the game Coach!

coach?

I am too old to breastfeed. I AM NOT to old to breastfeed.

aregand
02-12-2013, 10:01 AM
On a more serious note according to some speculators -it looks like Ellis will likely be out as well.

diabsoule
02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
On a more serious note according to some speculators -it looks like Ellis will likely be out as well.

That was expected. After his first season he went down hill and he really doesn't have a fit in a 3-4.

One other player that I haven't heard mentioned being cut but will probably be strongly considered to be cut is Chris Chamberlain, who really has NO fit in a 3-4.

CJSchneider
02-12-2013, 01:23 PM

I've been thinking that I doubt we re-sign him for some time now.

zachsaints52
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
That was expected. After his first season he went down hill and he really doesn't have a fit in a 3-4.

One other player that I haven't heard mentioned being cut but will probably be strongly considered to be cut is Chris Chamberlain, who really has NO fit in a 3-4.

I mentioned this before. Chris was a Spags hire through and through. We don't need him at all.

I've been thinking that I doubt we re-sign him for some time now.

I hope we don't resign him.

diabsoule
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
The Saints have hired Michigan State OC Dan Roushar, in what capacity it's not yet known. He was Pierre Thomas' running back coach in 2003-4. Roushar and Sean Payton coached together at Illinois in 1996 when Payton was the QB coach and Roushar was the OT/TE coach. Throughout his 26 year career Roushar has coached RB for 5 years (1986-88, 2003-4). His background is mostly in coaching the offensive line.

Basically, it wouldn't surprise me if he's being brought in as the new OL coach while Bret Ingalls stays in his same capacity as RB coach. Or at least I'm hoping that's the case.

Naga114
02-16-2013, 03:48 PM
running game coordinator ?

diabsoule
02-16-2013, 11:10 PM
running game coordinator ?

Looks like he's going to be the RB coach.

diabsoule
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Also, Curtis Lofton restructured his deal saving the team $4 million

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/72521/saints-curtis-lofton-restructures-deal

aregand
02-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Read some speculation out of Denver Tracy Porter might get cut. Maybe bring him back on a team friendly deal? Do you want him back? Was hurt a lot and continued at Denver.

CJSchneider
02-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Also, Curtis Lofton restructured his deal saving the team $4 million

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/72521/saints-curtis-lofton-restructures-deal

We need to cut 35 million total. Lofton is 4 and cutting Smith yields 9 more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/drew-brees-help-clean-saints-salary-cap-mess-151731534--nfl.html

Here is an article quoting that cutting Vilma and a simple restructure of Brees contract could get another 12.6 total.

That's a possible 25 of 35 right there alone.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Thought y'all might like to might like to read this article from ESPN.com.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8958797/new-orleans-saints-seek-new-jonathan-vilma-smith-deals-sources-say

I really don't know what how I feel about this... do either one of them really fit in the Saints' 3-4 system under new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan?

CJSchneider
02-19-2013, 03:57 PM
David Thomas terminated and Patrick Robinson waived

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-Terminate-Contract-of-TE-David-Thomas-and-Waive-DB-Johnny-Patrick/8d49be77-e5b3-4c27-8dd4-e8d9c7ca0c2a

Cap at 136 million as per
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap-hit/

Saints Dome Patrol
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
David Thomas terminated and Johnny Patrick waived

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-Terminate-Contract-of-TE-David-Thomas-and-Waive-DB-Johnny-Patrick/8d49be77-e5b3-4c27-8dd4-e8d9c7ca0c2a

Cap at 136 million as per
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap-hit/

I saw that. As much as it's sad to see David Thomas (or better known to many a Saints fan as "Double Stack") go, it's quite understandable to see both go in what is the first of what could be many players cut for cost cutting.

aregand
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
It is Johnny Patrick not Patrick Robinson. Now that the ax is falling I feel the overtures to restructure Vilma and Smith are probably symbolic \ political. Hard to see them take a paycut and stay to be miscast in a 3-4 D.

CJSchneider
02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Oh, snap! LOL - I'm a dumb-ass.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-19-2013, 09:22 PM
ESPN article on the two players released...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8963951/new-orleans-saints-release-david-thomas-johnny-patrick

Saints Dome Patrol
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Question: Could you guys see Bart Scott as a member of the New Orleans Saints?

diabsoule
02-19-2013, 10:50 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/drew-brees-help-clean-saints-salary-cap-mess-151731534--nfl.html

Here is an article quoting that cutting Vilma and a simple restructure of Brees contract could get another 12.6 total.

Letting Chris Chamberlain walk will save another $1.9, iirc. Same thing with Will Herring.

zachsaints52
02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Question: Could you guys see Bart Scott as a member of the New Orleans Saints?

If we was needing a ILB we should just get Te'o....

Auron
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I don't think we need another ILB, Lofton is our thumper, and from what Payton said on Sirius it seems like the team is really going to be dedicated toward keeping Vilma. Also Hawthorne played Inside in Seattle and should be a very solid backup there, even start if one of them went down.

I think our biggest needs right now on Defense as it stands now:

Edge rushing OLB, (350+ lb) Nose Tackle to split time with Bunkley, Safety (not happy with either Jenkins, or Harper), and depth at Corner.

bigbluedefense
02-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Jenkins isn't playing well? I didn't pay attention to him this year but I thought he was great in 2011, and was an up and coming player in this league.

Auron
02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Jenkins isn't playing well? I didn't pay attention to him this year but I thought he was great in 2011, and was an up and coming player in this league.

He showed flashes in 2011, and this past year under Spags he was pretty awful.

He just lacks instincts, doesn't play the ball as well as you'd hope from your deep coverage Safety. There was a play in the Sunday Night game against the Chargers where it looked like the Corner was beat badly on 3rd and very Long, but in actuality Jenkins actually was reading the backfield and jumped towards the Line of scrimmage from the snap... completely voiding the deep zone. It was the long TD to Meachem.

Also he takes really bad angles in the run game which leads to some long runs. Can't blame him entirely for that, as if the Front 7 would do a better job of keeping things clean he wouldn't have to try and tackle running backs who are building a head of steam 10 yards downfield.

It's pretty common opinion that Jenkins will get another shot in Ryan's Defense as no one played well last year and he is still young, but I am not alone in the opinion that Isa Abdul-Quddus played like a much more natural Free Safety when Jenkins went down with injury last season.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
A link to a good read about the Saints and their salary cap situation:
http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-and-gold/NFL--New-Orleans-Saints-NFL-Salary-Cap-Mickey-Loomis-Feb192013-191867711.html

Saints Dome Patrol
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think we need another ILB, Lofton is our thumper, and from what Payton said on Sirius it seems like the team is really going to be dedicated toward keeping Vilma. Also Hawthorne played Inside in Seattle and should be a very solid backup there, even start if one of them went down.

I think our biggest needs right now on Defense as it stands now:

Edge rushing OLB, (350+ lb) Nose Tackle to split time with Bunkley, Safety (not happy with either Jenkins, or Harper), and depth at Corner.

I really would like the Saints to go after safety T.J. McDonald from Southern Cal. Not only would he be a possible upgrade at who we have now, but what I really like is that he has great bloodlines as his dad Tim was a long-time starter for the Phoenix Cardinals. If he's there in the third round, I think the Saints should snap him up.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Letting Chris Chamberlain walk will save another $1.9, iirc. Same thing with Will Herring.

I assume that Will Herring is a "gone pecan". He didn't play but in only 8.9 percent of the Saints' defensive snaps in 2012.

As for Chamberlain, I'm not so sure. He was supposed to be the one of the outside linebackers in Steve Spagnuolo's system, but got injured in the preseason game against Jacksonville. He might end up a casualty as well.

Do you also think the Saints will cut linebacker Scott Shanle as well? I don't know how much he actually cost against the cap, but he's getting older and didn't play much for New Orleans last season either (only 19.2 percent of snaps).

Saints Dome Patrol
02-20-2013, 09:28 PM

I don't know if the Saints are going to cut Jonathan Vilma. But I could see the Saints and Drew Brees restructuring his contract to help New Orleans' cap situation. I really think Brees is a team player and would attempt to help the Saints by reducing the team's cap number.

diabsoule
02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
I assume that Will Herring is a "gone pecan". He didn't play but in only 8.9 percent of the Saints' defensive snaps in 2012.

As for Chamberlain, I'm not so sure. He was supposed to be the one of the outside linebackers in Steve Spagnuolo's system, but got injured in the preseason game against Jacksonville. He might end up a casualty as well.

Do you also think the Saints will cut linebacker Scott Shanle as well? I don't know how much he actually cost against the cap, but he's getting older and didn't play much for New Orleans last season either (only 19.2 percent of snaps).

Shanle is a free agent. I don't know if they would re-sign him just to add depth to their ILB rotation or not.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Shanle is a free agent. I don't know if they would re-sign him just to add depth to their ILB rotation or not.

If the Saints re-sign Shanle, it better be at a bargain-basement price. Seriously, I appreciate him and all he has done for the Saints, since we all remember it was him, not Drew Brees, that was the first free agent signing following the season from Hell in 2005. But yeah.

diabsoule
02-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Looking at the Saints own free agents, their cap situation, and other team's free agents I can pretty much confirm what everyone's sentiment is: we won't sign any big time guys. Shocking, I know.

I think we re-sign Elbert Mack and Courtney Roby and try to sign Victor Butler away from Dallas. I'm curious as to what we're going to do about the back-up QB situation seeing as how Chase Daniel is a UFA.

Also, I think Chris Ivory, Brian de la Puenta, Junior Galette, and Justin Drescher will all be tendered.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Do you think the Saints would bring in Baltimore safety Ed Reed?

Saints Dome Patrol
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Another interesting question: what do you guys think about the Eagles releasing these two defensive tackles? Could either of them fit in the Saints' new 3-4?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8987211/philadelphia-eagles-cut-cullen-jenkins-mike-patterson

Saints Dome Patrol
02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Another great article from NOLA.com:
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/02/breaking_down_the_free_agent_p.html

diabsoule
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Do you think the Saints would bring in Baltimore safety Ed Reed?

Cullen Jenkins can. Mike Patterson can't.

And Ed Reed I'm sure will be talked to but it all comes down to how much he wants to be paid and IF he wants to come here. Personally, I don't care either way. I don't think he's going to be the next Darren Sharper.

CJSchneider
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saints-hire-mcgriff-secondary-coach-011333655--nfl.html

I wonder if this is telling that we may draft DB in round 1 or 3.

diabsoule
02-25-2013, 09:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saints-hire-mcgriff-secondary-coach-011333655--nfl.html

I wonder if this is telling that we may draft DB in round 1 or 3.

*crosses fingers* Please don't be Kenny Vaccaro. Please don't be Kenny Vaccaro. Please don't be Kenny Vaccaro.

CJSchneider
02-26-2013, 05:48 AM
You're saying drafting him. releasing Harper and sliding him over to SS could be a worse situation than we have now?

Naga114
02-26-2013, 05:54 AM
We would still have a bad front-7 putting our DBs in bad situations, although I actualy like Vaccaro, I'm not sure he will be available at our pick.

And I like this hire.

diabsoule
02-26-2013, 05:54 AM
You're saying drafting him. releasing Harper and sliding him over to SS could be a worse situation than we have now?

Harper won't be released because he's owed too much guaranteed money. And I just don't see Vaccaro being that impressive of a safety. He can't cover all that well and isn't a playmaker. He'll tackle you once you catch the ball, which is a good thing, but he won't stop you from completing that pass.

zachsaints52
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
TJ ran a 4.53 and had 19 reps at the bench. 7th in the 40 and 5th in bench reps. And looks smoove. I am sold on him.

wicket
02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
if we can get amerson with one of those midround picks i want him based on his workouts

diabsoule
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Shamarko Thomas! Robert Alford! GO GO GO GO GO!

diabsoule
02-27-2013, 05:24 PM
I *heart* Marques Colston

Per PFT: Colston converts $2.8 million of $4.5 million to signing bonus, creating $2.1 million in 2013 cap space for Saints http://bit.ly/VOtO1u

diabsoule
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I *heart* Marques Colston

Per PFT: Colston converts $2.8 million of $4.5 million to signing bonus, creating $2.1 million in 2013 cap space for Saints http://bit.ly/VOtO1u

And Ben Grubbs also decided to pitch in:

The New Orleans Saints have shaved $3 million in salary-cap room by restructuring the contract of guard Ben Grubbs, according to a league source.

Grubbs restructured his contract earlier this week to help the Saints who had been more than $14 million over the cap. The Saints simply handed Grubbs a $4 million signing bonus up front.

That lowered his base salary from $5.2 million to $1.2 million and the signing bonus is pro-rated over the remainder of the contract.

And another one: Saints restructure Hawthorne's deal, saves team $2.05 million http://es.pn/XbMrx7

And finally Jahri Evans has restructured lowering his base pay from $7.2 million to $3 million. That frees up an additional $3.12 million in cap space

zachsaints52
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Hell yes!!!!

NOLAFan
03-06-2013, 12:14 AM
So i've been thinking lately that our potential SB run is a window of 2-3 years depending on how certain players hold up health wise but when i take into account the cap hole the team is in i don't think they have the money necessary to bring better players in unless its through the draft. I also dont think we will be able to retain certain players as their contracts come up IE Graham. This disappoints me as a fan because I'd really like to see this team win another SB or two before Brees and ultimately Payton are gone. I just don't see it happening though to be realistic. The teams in our division get tougher every year, except Carolina, and this team seems to have the misfortune to play the other divisions when most of the teams within that division are on the up swing IE NFC West for the upcoming season(excluding ARI). Brees' massive contract is what really puts us in a bind, that and Loomis handing out ridiculous contracts to terrible defensive players. Tis a shame in my eyes.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Could you see James Harrison in a Saints' uniform? I know he's a dirty player and all, but I think he would fit in a Rob Ryan defense.

Of course, I know he would cost quite a pretty penny...

diabsoule
03-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Good-bye Jermon Bushrod and Chase Daniel.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah. Don't forget Will Herring either...

But welcome back to Jonathan Vilma and Will Smith.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/45938/vilma-smith-took-massive-pay-cuts

CJSchneider
03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Best I can tell, we are 5 million under the cap with our drfat picks and current free agents (http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/new-orleans-saints/) remaining.

CJSchneider
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
If this happened I would crap my pants.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150694/article/new-orleans-saints-interested-in-nnamdi-asomugha

And according to this, we may have enough cap room to make him an offer.

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/

wicket
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
im pretty damn happy with keenan lewis at the price we got him

Naga114
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Agreed, it's a great pick-up but I'd not be against another CB addition.

CJSchneider
03-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Steven Jackson to the Falcons is not good.

NOLAFan
03-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Yeah hands down i believe the Falcons are the clear favorite in the division now.

So I'm really hoping Victor Butler leaves Pittsburgh unsigned and we sign that bastard up super quick. I'd much rather sign him than Nnamdi

diabsoule
03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Keenan Lewis is a good, strong, physical corner but he's another no catching mother****** in the secondary. The dude has one, ONE career interception.

I want to add either Nnamdi or Victor Butler. Either one of those two would make me happy.

diabsoule
03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
The Saints are bringing in Nnamid Asomugha for a visit
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/03/new_orleans_saints_will_report_2.html

NOLAFan
03-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Did they ever bring Victor Butler in for visit?

CJSchneider
03-18-2013, 04:14 PM
We just signed TE Ben Watson. Very nice.

diabsoule
03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
We also re-signed Ramon Humbar to a one year deal.

Watson complements Graham so well. I can't wait to see our 2-TE sets next year.

zachsaints52
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
I personally hope we try and get Bryant McKinnie and Shaun Phillips. Two older players, but they can plug and play for one year stop gaps.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM
We also re-signed Ramon Humbar to a one year deal.

Watson complements Graham so well. I can't wait to see our 2-TE sets next year.

I thought of you as soon as I saw the Saints' signing of Ben Watson. I knew you were hoping for the Saints to use some two tight end sets and now, it's a real possibility.

LonghornsLegend
03-19-2013, 09:36 AM

I've always been a fan. Dude can rush the passer and has a nose for the QB, he makes plays on the field and never got a chance to truly flourish with Ware & Spencer here. You may have some concerns over how good of a run support guy he is, but that wouldn't be why you would be signing him anyway. He's very disruptive and explosive and I always wanted him to get more snaps then he got here.

Bert Macklin
03-19-2013, 01:54 PM
«@MikeTriplett «@Saints Mark Ingram has changed his jersey number from No. 28 to No. 22 #Saints»»

Keenan Lewis number 28, Watson 82.

CJSchneider
03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
I wonder how much Lewis paid for that one.

diabsoule
03-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Probably nothing. Ingram probably wanted to remind people how many yards per carry he averages. The only thing missing is the decimal between the twos.

CJSchneider
03-21-2013, 08:05 AM

Guess who is visiting the Big Easy? (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152508/article/victor-butler-reportedly-will-visit-new-orleans-saints)

CJSchneider
03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
We are still 3.3 million under the cap. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154634/article/remaining-salary-cap-space-for-each-nfl-team)

Saints Dome Patrol
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
So the Saints have brought in cornerbacks Nnamdi Asmougha and Tracy Porter, linebacker Victor Butler, but so far, all of them have left town without a contract. Do you think it's because of the team's salary cap situation that the Saints haven't signed any of these three players?

diabsoule
03-27-2013, 09:13 PM
So the Saints have brought in cornerbacks Nnamdi Asmougha and Tracy Porter, linebacker Victor Butler, but so far, all of them have left town without a contract. Do you think it's because of the team's salary cap situation that the Saints haven't signed any of these three players?

I think it's the players salary demands and that's why they haven't signed anywhere.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Well, according to NFL Insider's Adam Schefter, free agent Victor Butler will apparently be signing with the Saints after all. Schefter applauded the move on Twitter saying Butler will be able to help teach other players on the team new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's scheme.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9108199/victor-butler-sign-new-orleans-saints-according-source

CJSchneider
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-Agree-To-Terms-With-LB-Victor-Butler/b8399fcf-d784-4da7-bc0c-28b24c5c1ecd

AWESOME!!!!!

CJSchneider
03-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Asmougha or Porter is pretty much an impossibility now based on cap numbers.

wicket
03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Asmougha or Porter is pretty much an impossibility now based on cap numbers.

dont really care to be honest, keenan lewis and jabari greer starting with robinson or one of the young guys coming in is good enough at corner. It allows us to draft reasonably freely

diabsoule
03-29-2013, 11:36 PM
The Saints have signed former Cowboys DE Kenyon Coleman
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000155363/article/kenyon-coleman-reportedly-joins-new-orleans-saints

CJSchneider
03-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Hard to get excited about 34 y/o guys on their way out.

CJSchneider
04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Luke McCown is now Brees' back-up. (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Saints-Agree-to-Terms-With-DE-Kenyon-Coleman-and-QB-Luke-McCown-on-One-Year-Contacts/51e6da3d-5ea1-4912-a104-205387574e05)

Saints Dome Patrol
04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Luke McCown is now Brees' back-up. (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Saints-Agree-to-Terms-With-DE-Kenyon-Coleman-and-QB-Luke-McCown-on-One-Year-Contacts/51e6da3d-5ea1-4912-a104-205387574e05)

Called it...!

*pause*

A while ago.

CJSchneider
04-02-2013, 07:26 PM
49ers signed Asomugha to a 1 year 1.35 million dollar contract today.

diabsoule
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
49ers signed Asomugha to a 1 year 1.35 million dollar contract today.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/SexyBeautifulOne/TheChurchLady2RFX.jpg

zachsaints52
04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Coleman is basically here to help Cam and Akiem adjust, especially since he knows Ryans system hands down. And McCown was a training camp guy last year iirc, so he knows the play book.

diabsoule
04-05-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't know if you guys have twitter or follow me on it but I'm participating in Mock Five, a twitter community mock draft where some of the best draft analysts go head-to-head to have the best draft for their team. Well, I'm the Saints (obviously) and this is my draft so far:

1.15 - WR Tavon Austin, WVU
3.13 - OLB Jamie Collins, Southern Miss

I'll keep y'all posted as to how the other picks go

aregand
04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Our defense was so bad it is hard to see us taking Austin. BUT man , he, Graham, Sproles and Colston together I don't know how any other teams could stop them and if they did cover them somebody is wide open somewhere. Only way we could be stopped is if the O-line can't give Brees 2 seconds. Maybe with the new D coach , scheme and other new adds they might go for Austin. I read a blurb that this is a potential hot spot trade for Austin as well.

diabsoule
04-06-2013, 12:54 AM
All of the best DEs and OLBs, outside of Jarvis Jones, were taken and Austin was on the board. I debated for a minute since no one was willing to trade up and decided to take a game changer in Austin rather than a DE like Jones. It paid off since I was able to get Collins in the 3rd.

diabsoule
04-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm also the GM of the Saints in the 5 Rounds in 5 Days draft that broth is sponsoring on blogtalkradio.

So far in that draft here's what I've done:

Trade: Traded Mark Ingram to the Steelers for a 3rd round pick

Round 1 - DE Bjoern Werner, FSU
Round 3 - WR Quinton Patton, La Tech
Round 3 - NT Montori Hughes, Tennessee-Martin
Round 4 - OT Jordan Mills, La Tech

wicket
04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm also the GM of the Saints in the 5 Rounds in 5 Days draft that broth is sponsoring on blogtalkradio.

I love getting a 3rd for ingram and i like Mills in the fourth, im okay with werner and pretty much hate the patton and hughes pick. Dont think Hughes is as good as he is ranked at all and I dont think a generic posession receiver like patton merits a third rounder tbqh. The only reason people like him as much as they do is because he played in the most ridiculously pass heavy offense ever.

diabsoule
04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Update on who all I've drafted so far in the twitter Mock Five draft:

Rd 1 - WR Tavon Austin, WVU
Rd 3 - LB Jamie Collins, Southern Miss
Rd 5 - OT Reid Fragel, Ohio State
Rd 5 - WR Tavarres King, Georgia
Rd 5 - CB Brandon McGee, Miami
Rd 6 - [yet to be picked]

I traded my 4th rounder for two early 5th rounders, btw. Yeah, I know, two wide receivers but I like both Austin and King and think they are more talented than anyone not named Lance Moore or Marques Colston that we have on the roster.

CJSchneider
04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I'll be the Saints GM for the last forum mock this year. I will be attempting to trade down in the first and to trade Ingram for the right price.

wicket
04-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Update on who all I've drafted so far in the twitter Mock Five draft:

Rd 1 - WR Tavon Austin, WVU
Rd 3 - LB Jamie Collins, Southern Miss
Rd 5 - OT Reid Fragel, Ohio State
Rd 5 - WR Tavarres King, Georgia
Rd 5 - CB Brandon McGee, Miami
Rd 6 - [yet to be picked]

I traded my 4th rounder for two early 5th rounders, btw. Yeah, I know, two wide receivers but I like both Austin and King and think they are more talented than anyone not named Lance Moore or Marques Colston that we have on the roster.

i dont have a draftworthy grade on king, like absolutely nothing about his game so that pick i absolutely hate. I like your trade and i like colllins in the third. Not nuts about austin but i guess if we get collins in the third it does make up for some of it. I love the fragel pick though.

aregand
04-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Curious where Tavon Austin went in this draft.

CJSchneider
04-08-2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Saints-Add-Safety-Jim-Leonhard/6cbd2dba-0237-4719-8113-fbe5a246a8d8

I'd rather make sure Devery Henderson was under contract first.

diabsoule
04-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Here's the finished product lf both dradts:

5 Rounds in 5 Days
1. Bjoern Werner
3. Quinton Patton
3. Montori Hughes
4. Jordan Mills
5. Quanterrus Smith

Mock Five:
1. Tavon Austin
3. Jamie Collins
5. Reid Fragel
5. Tavarres King
5. Brandon McGee
6. Ryan Griffin

CJSchneider
04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-Agree-To-Terms-With-Tackle-Jason-Smith/391a7f58-e551-4203-afd9-e1a2b5634b79

We just signed Jason Smith. I think this is an excellent signing.

wicket
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-Agree-To-Terms-With-Tackle-Jason-Smith/391a7f58-e551-4203-afd9-e1a2b5634b79

We just signed Jason Smith. I think this is an excellent signing.

a bit of a gamble but a damn good one iyam

also heard that Hicks was going to split time between end and nose which suprised me a great deal. Would mean that Smith is starting as of right now.

Always assumed wed just go Jordan-Bunkley-Hicks, really dont know why the hll youd even want to do somethin else

Saints Dome Patrol
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
a bit of a gamble but a damn good one iyam

also heard that Hicks was going to split time between end and nose which suprised me a great deal. Would mean that Smith is starting as of right now.

Always assumed wed just go Jordan-Bunkley-Hicks, really dont know why the hll
youd even want to do somethin else

I think you might be confusing which Jason Smith this is. This is the former second-overall pick from the 2009 NFL Draft from Baylor. He's an offensive tackle who never quite lived up to his expectations with the Rams and was shipped off to the Jets last season.

Hopefully, he can resurrect his career here in New Orleans and live up to his lofty draft status.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-14-2013, 07:38 PM
What do y'all think of this? The Jets might be wanting to trade with the Saints for restricted free agent running back Chris Ivory.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9167375/new-york-jets-interested-trading-running-back-chris-ivory-sources

Here's a link from NOLA.com about the same story.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/04/running_back_chris_ivory_visit.html

wicket
04-15-2013, 12:24 AM
I think you might be confusing which Jason Smith this is. This is the former second-overall pick from the 2009 NFL Draft from Baylor. He's an offensive tackle who never quite lived up to his expectations with the Rams and was shipped off to the Jets last season.

Hopefully, he can resurrect his career here in New Orleans and live up to his lofty draft status.

not confused, just spend most of my post on the hicks "news", the smith i refer to in my post is will, not jason

zachsaints52
04-15-2013, 10:59 AM
If we get a 4th or a 5th and 7th for Ivory, I say do it in a heartbeat.

Im still not on the Werner bandwagon.

NOLAFan
04-15-2013, 11:25 AM
If we get a 4th or a 5th and 7th for Ivory, I say do it in a heartbeat.

Im still not on the Werner bandwagon.

I say we hold to our 2nd round tender and if we get that i would be a great place for a pick or if we could somehow work out a contract deal with what we have i say we trade that 2nd for Albert from the Chiefs.

I agree with you on Werner. I would much rather have someone else. And what's with all this lets take Patterson or Austin all of a sudden? I would much rather trade down or take the best defensive player at 15 than take a receiver.

wicket
04-15-2013, 12:58 PM
saffold wants to be traded as well, wouldnt be a bad pickup

diabsoule
04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
The Saints signed Seneca Wallace! He spend all of last year out of football! Rejoice!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159908/article/seneca-wallace-signs-contract-with-new-orleans-saints

CJSchneider
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
The Saints signed Seneca Wallace! He spend all of last year out of football! Rejoice!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159908/article/seneca-wallace-signs-contract-with-new-orleans-saints

He was staying active though. I even have some of his workout tape.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2x6zgYG2e1ru4afro1_500.gif

diabsoule
04-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Saints schedule:

9/8 vs. Falcons noon
9/15 at Bucs 3:05pm
9/22 vs. Cardinals noon
9/30 (MNF) vs. Dolphins 7:40pm
10/6 at Bears noon
10/13 at Patriots 3:25pm
BYE
10/27 vs. Bills noon
11/3 at Jets noon
11/10 vs. Cowboys 7:30pm (Sunday night game)
11/17 vs. 49ers 3:25pm
11/21 at Falcons 7:25pm
12/2 at Seahawks 7:40pm
12/8 vs. Panthers noon
12/15 at Rams noon
12/22 at Panthers noon
12/29 vs. Bucs noon

Not too bad. Could conceivably get out to a 6-0 start before the bye. Hate the brutal stretch of SF, @ATL, @SEA.

CJSchneider
04-19-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm predicting a 11-5 /10-6 at this point.

NOLAFan
04-20-2013, 01:48 AM

i feel like that's extremely optimistic considering the Saints offensive line changes and terrible defense.

wicket
04-20-2013, 09:08 AM

im one worse, so 10-6 or 9-7

Auron
04-20-2013, 10:10 PM
i feel like that's extremely optimistic considering the Saints offensive line changes and terrible defense.

Agreed, a lot of uncertainty a long the Offensive Line has me worried, I know it's before Draft time but the prospect of Charles Brown, or a Rookie starting at Left Tackle opening day really concerns me.

Also I know we are really optimistic regarding the Defense, there is a lot to look forward to and it seems like we're making the right changes but Rob Ryan really has a lot of work to do.

I think right now we're hovering right around the 9 win mark, in a really tough Division until we see the results of the all around changes.

NOLAFan
04-21-2013, 11:10 PM
So i saw a report that the Jets offered the Saints a 6th for Ivory. I may be overvaluing Ivory but if i'm the Saints i'm saying hell no. Somewhere between 2nd-4th round pick is all i would take

diabsoule
04-21-2013, 11:28 PM
So i saw a report that the Jets offered the Saints a 6th for Ivory. I may be overvaluing Ivory but if i'm the Saints i'm saying hell no. Somewhere between 2nd-4th round pick is all i would take

I was thinking 4th. There's no way in hell I, a Saints fan, would offer a 2nd for him. I would pause slightly before laughing when considering a 3rd. A 4th would require some negotiation and a 5th I would do.

And, from everything I've read, that seems to be the hold up. The Saints wanted a 3rd, the Jets countered with a 6th and now they're haggling about whether it should be a 4th or 5th. I think the deal gets done either before or during the draft and am hopeful Loomis squeezes a 4th out of them.

They need a RB pretty damn badly and we need the extra picks. It's kinda like desperation meets desperation and whoever is the more desperate will be the one that flinches.

CJSchneider
04-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Scott Fujita retires as a Saint. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-saints-lb-fujita-retires-184028821--nfl.html)

Auron
04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Happy trails to Scott, sad to see his career end like that. Due to injury, but I'm sure better things await him after Football, I'm sure he's going to be doing some charitable work to help his buddy Steve Gleason and his cause.

diabsoule
04-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Glad to see Scott retire a Saint. His retirement speech was amazing and I recommend you listen to it if you haven't. I'd love to see him on the Saints sideline as an assistant coach.

diabsoule
05-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Complete list of the seventy rookies that will be at Saints rookie minicamp
http://prod.static.saints.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/2013_saints_rookie_minicamp_roster.pdf

CJSchneider
05-29-2013, 10:10 AM
At least he was smart enough to pull over and sleep it off.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/05/new_orleans_saints_wide_receiv.html

Bert Macklin
05-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Best scouts ever

http://pbr1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/bduhon55/null_zps8cd7c05f.png

wicket
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Armstead being ready to start would be huge

J-Mike88
05-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Whatever happened to Charles Brown, OT?

In that 2010 Draft, many mocksters had us taking Brown at the end of Rd 1, and I know you got him at the end of Rd 2.

We took Bulaga instead at pick #23.

Has the guy busted, not gotten a chance, what's the story with him?

Bert Macklin
05-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Whatever happened to Charles Brown, OT?

In that 2010 Draft, many mocksters had us taking Brown at the end of Rd 1, and I know you got him at the end of Rd 2.

We took Bulaga instead at pick #23.

Has the guy busted, not gotten a chance, what's the story with him?

Injures keep holding him back

J-Mike88
05-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Injures keep holding him back
Sounds f**** familiar.
What injuries has he had?

Nagging, or anything significant?

Bert Macklin
05-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Sounds f**** familiar.
What injuries has he had?

Nagging, or anything significant?

Definitely more nagging. I believe it's his knee if I'm not mistaken.

CJSchneider
06-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah, his knee has been a problem since he was drafted.

Bert Macklin
06-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm excited guys

Mike Triplett ?@MikeTriplett 9h
#Saints D was fun to watch today. A lot of nickel and dime lineups with a lot of pass rushers on field together. Some lineups with no DTs.

For example, sometimes Will Smith was on the edge for #Saints. Sometimes he had his hand on the ground with another LB outside of him.

#Saints ILB Lofton shot inside for what would have been a sack of Drew Brees if they were going full contact at start of team drills.

Mike Triplett ?@MikeTriplett 8h
Great talk with #Saints DL coach Bill Johnson. Said more important than scheme is "energy." "We lost our energy last year."

Mike Triplett ?@MikeTriplett 7h
#Saints defense shows exotic looks in nickel, dime packages Thursday http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/05/new_orleans_saints_defense_sho_1.html …

Mike Triplett ?@MikeTriplett 6h
Linebacker Curtis Lofton says #Saints defense is getting confidence back http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2013/05/linebacker_curtis_lofton_says.html …

Mike Triplett ?@MikeTriplett 4h
#Saints LB Junior Galette says new def. coordinator Rob Ryan is much more flexible than former DC Steve Spagnuolo http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/05/new_orleans_saints_defense_hav.html …

Mike Triplett ?@MikeTriplett 4h
#Saints defense having 'fun' again after losing energy, confidence last year | http://NOLA.com http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/05/new_orleans_saints_defense_hav.html …

Mike Triplett ?@MikeTriplett 23 May
#Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan says he hasn't felt this way since he was with Belichick, #Patriots http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/05/defensive_coordinator_rob_ryan.html …

Naga114
06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
It's hard not to get into the hype ...

CJSchneider
06-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I love hearing that. AS if I wasn't excited enough about Ryan being our Def. Co-ord.

Bert Macklin
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Victor Butler torn ACL. I know you shouldn't blame big fat mark for this, but since he's terrible and fat I will

Naga114
06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
And I thought Ingram couldn't hurt us more ....
Let's hope for a miraculous camp beast.

wicket
06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Victor Butler torn ACL. I know you shouldn't blame big fat mark for this, but since he's terrible and fat I will

since it wasnt a contact drill and he clearly had no idea where butler was you can sorta blame ingram.

also makes the vaccaro pick look even worse

CJSchneider
06-17-2013, 05:28 PM

I'm confident in Martez Wilson stepping up as the starter.

NOLAFan
06-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Any chances we take a look at Desmond Bishop?

Naga114
06-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Do we have the cap to sign more players ?