PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Shiver
12-30-2006, 06:12 PM
I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me when I said those things.

diabsoule
12-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Well, last night the Falcons team discussion had a Bucs fan attack, involving inappropriate things. Let's just say this isn't the first time. Therefore I will hereby thank Saints fans for being classy. The behavior of Bucs fans makes me appreciate you guys.

Thanks for the nice comments, Shiver. I know the rivalry between our two teams is pretty intense but one thing I have noticed is that Saints and Falcons fans show some very good sportmanship unlike Bucs fans and even some Panthers fans (not all but some).

What did the guy do in the Falcons thread or did it get deleted?

Flyboy
12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, last night the Falcons team discussion had a Bucs fan attack, involving inappropriate things. Let's just say this isn't the first time. Therefore I will hereby thank Saints fans for being classy. The behavior of Bucs fans makes me appreciate you guys.

Awww, thanks. :oops: If it makes you feel better... you're one of my favorite posters on the board... after dia that is. ;)

diabsoule
12-30-2006, 11:50 PM

Awww, thanks. :oops: If it makes you feel better... you're one of my favorite posters on the board... after dia that is. ;)

Thanks, brotha. Didn't know I was your favorite :P

diabsoule
12-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Danny Clark looks like a beast.

saintsfan912
12-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Damn its hilarious that the Saints had all backups in and still almost beat Carolina.

Shiver
01-01-2007, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the nice comments, Shiver. I know the rivalry between our two teams is pretty intense but one thing I have noticed is that Saints and Falcons fans show some very good sportmanship unlike Bucs fans and even some Panthers fans (not all but some).

What did the guy do in the Falcons thread or did it get deleted?

Let's just say the guy made an inappropriate comment regarding Michael Vick, the ghetto, and him being a negro.

:shock:

Saints Dome Patrol
01-01-2007, 03:43 AM
http://www.timespicayune.com/images/home/timespicayune_big.gif
Saints fan returns to forum, millions rejoice

By Jay Mixson
Staff Writer

"I'm back, [expletive deleted]!"

That was the statement made by Saints Dome Patrol, a member of Scott Wright's NFL Draft Countdown forum, just a few hours ago at his apartment.

Patrol, a longtime Saints fan and member of the forum since March 2005, had been missing in action and presumed dead. In fact, reports surfaced on the Internet in Novemeber that Patrol had been murdered by diabsoule, another Saints fan on the NFLDC forum, and his gang of Irish hooligans.

The hooligans brutally tortured Patrol by being beaten with fashionable pillows and shown reruns of The Martha Stewart Show. Finally, Patrol was allegedly fed through a wood chipper and made into hamburger meat.

"All lies," said Patrol. "diabsoule's a punk. He's jealous of me and my infinite intelligence and wisdom and boyish good looks."

Patrol says that it was not him who the Irish gang made into USDA Grade A prime sirloin.

"I haven't seen Keak The Sneak on these forums in a while, have you?"

Patrol is anxious to return to his throne as the top Saints fan in the NFLDC forum, but he may still have to deal with diabsoule, who has been the top Saints representative during Patrol's hiatus. Patrol believes; however, that diabsoule should graciously step aside and abdicate his position on the forum.

"All good things have to come to an end, don't they? Face it, nobody likes a glory hog. What diabsoule should do is the right thing. He knows what that is. I don't think I have to tell him twice. He's a smart man."

Patrol's return was met with rave reviews from other fans on the forum.

"Saints Dome Patrol is back? Praise the almighty God above for this miracle we have received," said ILoveBush, another Saints fan on the forum.

"Now finally the forum is whole again," said Rocky Balboa = GOD. "And I'm an Eagles fan!"

Patrol is taking all this recent resurgence of fame in stride.

"I felt like the time was right to make my comeback."

Keaks Way 2 Sneaky
01-01-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.timespicayune.com/images/home/timespicayune_big.gif
Keak Returns, World Saved

Just one uppin u

Saints Dome Patrol
01-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, yeah. :roll:

Happy New Year to you too...

diabsoule
01-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome back, SDP!!! Finally, you returned to your senses after leading your life as a male prostitute catering to middle-aged businessmen in downtown Baton Rouge.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks diabsoule! You would know wouldn't you? You were one of my regular customers... :wink:

diabsoule
01-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks diabsoule! You would know wouldn't you? You were one of my regular customers... :wink:

How would you know? Every time I saw you your eyes were staring at the forest above a man's Johnson.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-01-2007, 12:12 PM
How could I forget yours...? It's got to be the smallest one on the face of the planet!

diabsoule
01-01-2007, 12:15 PM
How could I forget yours...? It's got to be the smallest one on the face of the planet!

My forest or my Johnson? It doesn't matter. A mouth is a mouth but you have to live with the fact that you had a Johnson in your mouth.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-01-2007, 12:22 PM

My forest or my Johnson? It doesn't matter. A mouth is a mouth but you have to live with the fact that you had a Johnson in your mouth.

Ooh... I love it when you talk dirty to me... :wink:

diabsoule
01-01-2007, 01:04 PM
From Rotoworld.com

The Bucs are reportedly likely to go after Saints defensive end Charles Grant in unrestricted free agency.
Grant would be an interesting fit because he's so much bigger and potentially better against the run than the man he'd be replacing at right end, Simeon Rice. The Buccaneers also may take a look at Gaines Adams of Clemson with their likely top-five pick or the Bengals' Justin Smith.
Source: St. Petersburg Times

I think we absolutely need to resign Grant.

Sveen
01-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-01-2007, 01:22 PM
From Rotoworld.com

The Bucs are reportedly likely to go after Saints defensive end Charles Grant in unrestricted free agency.
Grant would be an interesting fit because he's so much bigger and potentially better against the run than the man he'd be replacing at right end, Simeon Rice. The Buccaneers also may take a look at Gaines Adams of Clemson with their likely top-five pick or the Bengals' Justin Smith.
Source: St. Petersburg Times

The Saints should definitely resign Grant. He's one of the best players we have on defense, and him and Will Smith make a terrific tandem on the outside. I would think that Sean Payton and the front office would not let someone of his ability go, especially to a rival team.

That being said, the only way I could see the Saints getting rid of Grant is if the Saints are able to make a move and get someone of equal value. I mean, if you would have told me that before the season started that we were going to trade Stallworth and draft a seventh round pick that would be a possible rookie of the year, I wouldn't have believed it for a second. Of course, I did think the Saints were going to get rid of Stallworth, but I digress.

The Buccaneers will, along with other teams I'm sure, be looking at Grant hard in the offseason, but it's up to the Saints to lock him up long term.

diabsoule
01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
So, which team would you guys want to face in the playoffs?

Saints Dome Patrol
01-02-2007, 01:09 PM
The Giants... :P

Flyboy
01-02-2007, 03:00 PM

Isn't it impossible for us to play the Giants?

diabsoule
01-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I think we'll play Philly, which should turn out to be a very good game. I hope we can win this game, though, because so far this year we haven't been good coming off of a break.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-03-2007, 12:53 AM

Isn't it impossible for us to play the Giants?

I was kidding... but seriously, who wouldn't want to play the team that basically imploded during the last couple weeks and lost to us big time... :wink:

But, in all honesty, it looks like it will be the Eagles, and I think that they could be more dangerous and harder to beat than the Bears. Even though we beat them in the regular season, they were a different team then and it's always hard to beat a team the second time around.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

diabsoule
01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I know this is the Saints thread but GEAUX Tigers!!!

sweetness34
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM

I'm most scared about the Giants actually. That's the team I do not want to face in the 2nd Round, although if the bad Giants show up then I'm ok.

The NFC is a funny conference, because any team (apart from IMO the Seahawks) can take this thing equally. I don't know if there's a quote on quote "favorite" right now.

Btw, good luck in the playoffs and enjoy the week off, I know we will. :P :D

diabsoule
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM

I'm most scared about the Giants actually. That's the team I do not want to face in the 2nd Round, although if the bad Giants show up then I'm ok.

The NFC is a funny conference, because any team (apart from IMO the Seahawks) can take this thing equally. I don't know if there's a quote on quote "favorite" right now.

I don't want to face the Iggles. Their on a roll lately and it's tough when you face a team that's on the bubble.

Flyboy
01-04-2007, 10:25 PM

I don't want to face the Iggles. Their on a roll lately and it's tough when you face a team that's on the bubble.

Same here.. the Eagles definitely scare me.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-05-2007, 03:24 AM
You know, the team that would worry me the most is actually the Baltimore Ravens... :wink:

Fine... in the NFC, I'll make it unanimous. I'm worried about Philadelphia because as everyone knows it's very difficult to beat a team twice in the season... especially in the playoffs. And as diabsoule pointed out, they are a different team than when we played them in the regular season. Here's hoping that the Giants pull the upset. Wishful thinking, I know. :?

Star Wideout
01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I heard Mike McKenzie got into a car accident, anyone know what happened?

diabsoule
01-05-2007, 11:29 AM
I heard Mike McKenzie got into a car accident, anyone know what happened?

Per a league source, Saints cornerback Mike McKenzie suffered a back strain after being rear ended while stopped at a traffic light outside the team facility on Wednesday.

McKenzie was taken to the hospital by ambulance as a precaution, but he is expected to be cleared to play in the team's playoff opener on the weekend of January 13 and14.

If fact, McKenzie most likely would be able to play this weekend, if the Saints hadn't earned one of the two NFC playoff byes.

diabsoule
01-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Duece McAllister won the 2006 Ed Brock Courage Award from the Saints. I'm sure he deserved it.

Link here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9910053

diabsoule
01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Saints schedule for next season:

Home Games:
Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Tennessee

Away Games:
Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Houston, Indianapolis

Star Wideout
01-05-2007, 02:59 PM

Home Games:
Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Tennessee

Away Games:
Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Houston, Indianapolis
That looks like a hard a** schedule. :?

Indianapolis, Seattle, and Chicago on the road...not to mention 49ers might be an improved contending team.

Philly, Jax, and the Titans too.

and you never know if the NFC South will rebound from it's off year..Panthers, and Falcons might step it up next season..

Saints Dome Patrol
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Home Games:

Away Games:
That looks like a hard a** schedule. :?

Indianapolis, Seattle, and Chicago on the road...not to mention 49ers might be an improved contending team.

Philly, Jax, and the Titans too.

and you never know if the NFC South will rebound from it's off year..Panthers, and Falcons might step it up next season..

I have to agree with Star Wideout here... this has the makings of a killer schedule.

But, the Saints should also continue to improve and so I'm actually excited to see how the Saints would do against teams like Indianapolis, Seattle and Chicago.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Sean Payton is NFL Coach of the Year...here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2722296

diabsoule
01-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Sean Payton is NFL Coach of the Year...here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2722296

He deserved it more than Mangini.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Out of our 3 possible opponents, I am actually most worried about us playing Seattle. Why? We already played Dallas and Philly, so we pretty much know a good bit of what to expect. We haven't played Seattle, which basically has the same team together that went to the Superbowl last year.

I'm hoping we get Dallas, but that would mean the Giants would have to win their game... something I just don't see happening.

diabsoule
01-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Let's hope the Giants win today because I think we can beat Seattle. Not so sure about the Eagles.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-07-2007, 05:35 PM
The two NFC Wildcard games have made me feel very confident.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Let's hope the Giants win today because I think we can beat Seattle. Not so sure about the Eagles.

Hmm, you seemed to have a change of heart this afternoon. But I understand why.

Now, we can prepare ourselves all week for the rematch between Philadelphia and New Orleans. :D

Flyboy
01-08-2007, 12:20 AM
The Eagles are really, really hot but... it's just time for us to handle our business in the Dome. Let's go get it done next Saturday!

diabsoule
01-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Allright, so it's the Eagles now. They look good out there. Their defensive play has stepped up, Jeff Garcia looks to be a better fit than Donovan McNabb in the WCO, and Brian Westbrook looks terrific.
Our defense is going to have their hands full against Philadelphia. The key to this matchup is to contain Westbrook. He's their main threat. Stop him and force their receivers to step up. Donte Stallworth & Reggie Brown can be stopped too. We also much contain Jeff Garcia and keep him in the pocket. We let him make plays with his legs.

Our offense needs to attack their D hard. The Giants were successful running the ball against them and we can do that too. They struggle to stop the run on the outside so sending Reggie out there and put Karney in the flat. Brees needs to take some shots downfield especially with Colston. The Giants were able to exploit the mismatch with Burress against Lito Shephard and we need to do that with Colston. The Eagles are aggressive so we need to do some play action and reverses.

I think we have a shot at winning this game but we need to come out of the gate hard and ready. I think Seattle has a good chance of beating Chicago and now we need to handle our business against Philly. I expect this game to be close just like last time.

bearsfan_51
01-08-2007, 02:37 AM
The Eagles are really, really hot but... it's just time for us to handle our business in the Dome. Let's go get it done next Saturday!
Not really. I thought the Eagles looked incredibly beatable today.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Not really. I thought the Eagles looked incredibly beatable today.

Bingo. I'm feeling pretty good about our chances.

We just mauled the Giants a few weeks ago, and they really didn't play much better yesterday, but that game still came down to a field goal. We're capable of beating Philly comfortably, we just have to execute.

Green Kool Aid
01-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey folks, an Eagles fan poking in to say hi, and that it should be a great matchup.

I actually have Jahri Evan's niece sitting in my classroom right now (she's testing). Props to Jahri for making it big from Frankford.

But as much as he is a source of pride, I gotta root for my Iggles!

This one's gonna be a classic! At the beginning of the playoffs, I predicted a Saints-Chargers Super Bowl. So, it's no shame in losing to a good team...But we don't plan on losing.

diabsoule
01-08-2007, 08:02 PM
This should be a very good game. I'm expecting a close one.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Allright, so it's the Eagles now. They look good out there. Their defensive play has stepped up, Jeff Garcia looks to be a better fit than Donovan McNabb in the WCO, and Brian Westbrook looks terrific.
Our defense is going to have their hands full against Philadelphia. The key to this matchup is to contain Westbrook. He's their main threat. Stop him and force their receivers to step up. Donte Stallworth & Reggie Brown can be stopped too. We also much contain Jeff Garcia and keep him in the pocket. We let him make plays with his legs.

Our offense needs to attack their D hard. The Giants were successful running the ball against them and we can do that too. They struggle to stop the run on the outside so sending Reggie out there and put Karney in the flat. Brees needs to take some shots downfield especially with Colston. The Giants were able to exploit the mismatch with Burress against Lito Shephard and we need to do that with Colston. The Eagles are aggressive so we need to do some play action and reverses.

I think we have a shot at winning this game but we need to come out of the gate hard and ready. I think Seattle has a good chance of beating Chicago and now we need to handle our business against Philly. I expect this game to be close just like last time.

Well, after reading reports that Eagles CB Lito Sheppard will be out for this game could help the Saints capture some early game momentum if they are able to exploit this weakness. With that in mind, the Saints should still continue to run the ball, pounding it inside with Deuce McAllister and to the outside with Reggie Bush and Devery Henderson. Without Sheppard, the Eagles don't have a number one corner and we should be able to make some big plays against their depleted secondary. Hopefully, if Joe Horn returns to the starting lineup, we will have a true possession receiver back in the lineup.

As for when the Eagles have the ball, I'm really hoping that Hollis Thomas has a breakout game like he did in the first game between these two teams. If he is able to stuff the middle of the field, it will allow for our linebackers to get pressure on Jeff Garcia and hopefully slow down Brian Westbrook. With Garcia as their quarterback, the Eagles are a more balanced team than with McNabb. We need to shut down Westbrook and hopefully make their team one dimensional.

I'll post more as the kickoff nears... but I agree with everybody. It should be a great game.

mpt117
01-10-2007, 11:41 AM
so hows my buddy alfred fincher doin over in the big easy? i heard he played a lot in the last game of the season and he had like 5-6 tackles...i hope he sticks cuz he was a 3rd round pick and was supposed to start at some point in his rook year and was the starter for this year until the simoneau trade and hes been 2nd string ever since im really hopin he gets the chance he deserves

corporaten45
01-10-2007, 10:52 PM
sorry man but Fincher isn't going to get much time, even though he looked much better then last time he played. That guy Clark [from the raiders] looked amazing that game Fincher played.

----

Hey everyone,
if anyone has any doubt about how well the saints will do we have nothing to fear from the eagles this saturday. The eagles DBs are all about 5'10..... so Colston [6'4 i think] will have a big day. Once Brees and company march down the field quickly with the passing game and get a couple touchdowns, our running game will take them over. I actually think that the eagles [if i'm remembering right] aren't statistically good against the run. So once our passing game scores quickly, and it will, Westbrook's running game is out the window. The eagles will have to become one dimensional to keep up with our offense's scoring.
In addition, the eagles have had no breaks and will be quite fatigued come the 3rd and 4th quarters.
Can i ask some of you how long the saints have been able to heal and rest??? [the answer is a LONGG time, 2-4 weeks for most].
Sooooooo what does this equal................ An easy, and HUGE win for our fu**ing amazing saints. OUR OFFENSE CANNOT BE STOPPED.

Our saints are going to march on to the Superbowl...
-Geaux Saints-

diabsoule
01-11-2007, 03:44 AM
so hows my buddy alfred fincher doin over in the big easy? i heard he played a lot in the last game of the season and he had like 5-6 tackles...i hope he sticks cuz he was a 3rd round pick and was supposed to start at some point in his rook year and was the starter for this year until the simoneau trade and hes been 2nd string ever since im really hopin he gets the chance he deserves

Fincher played well but I think he's going to get cut after this year. I don't think he has what it takes to be a LB in Payton's scheme.

mpt117
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
damn man he seemed to have the potential to play and was hopin to see a kid from my hometown and high school get the chance

diabsoule
01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
What do you guys think of this 4 Rd mock draft for us:

1st Rd -
Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mifl/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/56213.jpeg

He gives us a Jeremy Shockey type TE and would be the final piece to our offensive puzzle.

2nd Rd -
Fred Bennett, CB, South Carolina
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/scar/galleries/troy_usc05/Brown2.jpg

We need defensive bach help badly and Bennett is a very nice prospect who fell because of how deep the DB position is in this draft.

3rd Rd (from Philly) -
Kareem Brown, DT, Miami
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mifl/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/286433.jpeg

Brown shows a ton of potential and possesses a huge/massive frame that can really be used to clog the middle. He can help take over for Hollis Thomas.

3rd Rd -
Steve Smith, WR, USC
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~corsini/images/smith.jpg

I changed the pick after some thinking to the guy I like and that's Steve Smith. I think he'd be great for the Saints especially with Payton coaching him up. I think he'd be excellent in the black and gold.

4th Rd (From K.C.) -
Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/252772.jpg

Excellent ILB before his injury and will turn out to be a steal for us.

4th Rd -
DeAndre Jackson, CB, Iowa State
http://reese.smugmug.com/photos/88262406-M.jpg

Very good CB prospect that fell due to injury. He should be able to bounce back and compete with Bennett for the starting job. Between him, Bennett, and McKenzie we would have a nice blend of veteran and rookie talent, and we also drafted the replacement for Thomas and McKenzie respectively.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-11-2007, 08:24 PM
What do you guys think of this 4 Rd mock draft for us:

1st Rd -
Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
He gives us a Jeremy Shockey type TE and would be the final piece to our offensive puzzle.

Well, I'm guessing that this is predicting that the Saints are drafting very late in the first round and that players like LBs Patrick Willis, Buster Davis and Paul Posluszny along with CB Darrelle Revis are taken.

With that being said, I don't know if I like New Orleans taking Greg Olsen. Like you said, Olsen's a Shockey type tight end, and I'm not fond of Jeremy Shockey. I think that if that's the case, I'd prefer us trading down and getting another pick in the second round. I think that defense is a bigger need than tight end.

2nd Rd -
Fred Bennett, CB, South Carolina
We need defensive bach help badly and Bennett is a very nice prospect who fell because of how deep the DB position is in this draft.

Okay, this is more like it, I think that defensive back is one of our main needs. I like how he's bigger than most corners in the Draft, but I don't know if I like the fact that he has durability concerns. Also, according to Scott's site, he gets beaten too often. This sounds really familiar... and I don't know if that's what the Saints need.

3rd Rd (from Philly) -
Kareem Brown, DT, Miami
Brown shows a ton of potential and possesses a huge/massive frame that can really be used to clog the middle. He can help take over for Hollis Thomas.

As for this pick, I think that this fills a need since both Hollis Thomas and Brian Young aren't getting any younger. Also, both of them could be improved and this guy seems to be a good size and has lots of upside.

3rd Rd -
Rhema McKnight, WR, Notre Dame
Joe Horn is getting up there and I don't expect him to be around for much longer. I expect Colston to become the #1 and McKnight can step in and be the #2. He's an excellent blocker and can make all the catches.

I like the idea of a wide receiver but I think that McKnight is an injury concern. The guy did tear his ACL in 2005 so I don't know about his durability. Although I do agree that Horn won't be around forever, I would wonder if there aren't other receivers out there that are just as good and aren't as fragile.

4th Rd (From K.C.) -
Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson
Excellent ILB before his injury and will turn out to be a steal for us.

Boy, you like drafting injury prone people... :?

4th Rd -
DeAndre Jackson, CB, Iowa State
Very good CB prospect that fell due to injury. He should be able to bounce back and compete with Bennett for the starting job. Between him, Bennett, and McKenzie we would have a nice blend of veteran and rookie talent, and we also drafted the replacement for Thomas and McKenzie respectively.

Again, what's with the injury prone players? Can't we draft someone who isn't going to blow out their ACL or tear a hamstring? :razz:

Flyboy
01-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Horn is out for Saturday.

diabsoule
01-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Huge game tomorrow. Geaux Saints!

Flyboy
01-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Today is that f'n day. OMG, I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. LET'S GO GUYS!

diabsoule
01-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Who Dat?! Who Dat?! Who Dat Say They Gonna Beat Dem Saints? Who Dat?! Who Dat?!

Flyboy
01-13-2007, 02:36 PM
*chestbumps all for good luck*

Saints Dome Patrol
01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
A girl I worked with posted this poem on MySpace, so I thought I would share it with y'all here:

Out of the fire
And up from the flood
A great team is born
Made of guts, steel and blood

Their history a low one
No one can deny
Their new rise a slow one
But oh now so high

This team that I speak of
Is of black and gold
And travels the gridiron
So brave and so bold

Their symbol is royalty
We call Fleur de lis
And proud New Orleanians
Watch it with glee

Come Deuce and come Reggie
Come Drew and come Joe
Come Marques and Terrance
Now go beat the foe

The course is set plainly
There is clearly a goal
Go show all the world
A storm can't kill our soul

To the men in black jerseys
The tights and the cleats
Know that we love you
In wins and defeats

And to you, Sean Payton
The coach of our dreams
Thank you from all of us
Who give jumps, yells and screams

You have given us purpose
You have given us hope
You have given us will
And a reason to cope

To all of the Saints
Who reside in the Dome
Thanks for making our city
A proud place to call home.

GO SAINTS! WHO DAT?!

diabsoule
01-13-2007, 04:42 PM

*chestbump*

Too bad you couldn't come into LA to watch the game with me and SaintsDomePatrol.

Flyboy
01-13-2007, 05:31 PM

*chestbump*

Too bad you couldn't come into LA to watch the game with me and SaintsDomePatrol.

I know. :( But, I do plan on transferring to LSU next year so...

Saints Dome Patrol
01-13-2007, 05:36 PM

*chestbump*

*chestbump*

Here's a toast to all the Saints fan on the forum:

*lifts glass to diabsoule, Flyboy, T-Col, twwtiger, GeauxSaints, and all the Saints fans on the forum (and yes even Keak The Sneak)*

Who dat? Who dat? Who dat sey dey goin' beat dem Saints?!

Flyboy
01-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Joe Horn is OFFICIALLY out for the game. Time for Devery and Copper to step it up.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-13-2007, 06:46 PM

*chestbump*

*chestbump*

Here's a toast to all the Saints fan on the forum:

*lifts glass to diabsoule, Flyboy, T-Col, twwtiger, GeauxSaints, and all the Saints fans on the forum (and yes even Keak The Sneak)*

Who dat? Who dat? Who dat sey dey goin' beat dem Saints?!

:|

Flyboy
01-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Hahaha. :)

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-13-2007, 06:49 PM
**** you guys.

Flyboy
01-13-2007, 06:54 PM
*chestbumps TPFKA#1SaintsFan*

There.

sweetness34
01-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Whew, wow that was a close game. Payton needs to get that brain of his checked for that option call though.

Congrats on the win fellas.

Jew baca is back
01-13-2007, 11:23 PM
the saints are a bunch of ******* chinks with no balls

Beans
01-13-2007, 11:25 PM
the saints are a bunch of *********** chinks with no balls

this is some quality spam here. a real troll. none of that spam-bot crap, no siree. this is 100% asshole human being.

alca1992
01-13-2007, 11:28 PM
the saints are a bunch of *********** chinks with no balls

dude do you have no life

SeanTaylorRIP
01-14-2007, 09:54 AM
I know Reggie is a great change of pace and threat to go all the way but if they wanna win against the Bears if that's who they play he shouldn't get anymore than 5 carries, you can throw the ball to him but him running will be ineffective and ball security will be an issue, with as great as Deuce has been he should be the workhorse next week and Reggie needs a decreased role for this week.

diabsoule
01-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping Deuce sees more touches next week against whoever. Reggie's great out of the backfield as a receiver but I don't see him receiving many carries.

Flyboy
01-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Time to go to Chicago and break some hearts.

bearsfan_51
01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
I know Reggie is a great change of pace and threat to go all the way but if they wanna win against the Bears if that's who they play he shouldn't get anymore than 5 carries, you can throw the ball to him but him running will be ineffective and ball security will be an issue, with as great as Deuce has been he should be the workhorse next week and Reggie needs a decreased role for this week.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. If you watched the game today, teams don't do well running outside on us, mostly because of the sideline-to-sideline speed of Urlacher and Briggs. This is another reason why we own Mike Vick everytime we play him. The best plan for the Saints, IMO, is to run Deuce up the middle and run max-protect slants with Colston and Horn. I actually fear the ability of Colston to find holes in our defense than any offensive player on your team. I don't see Bush doing too much.

diabsoule
01-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Bring on the Bears. I'm sure Sean Payton will come up with a good game plan but the only thing we need to do is execute. We also need our defense to really step up and do something special.

sweetness34
01-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Bring on the Bears. I'm sure Sean Payton will come up with a good game plan but the only thing we need to do is execute. We also need our defense to really step up and do something special.

I saw basically the same two teams this weekend. Two teams with good offenses, but defenses that struggled in the pass game. And defenses that had trouble with the run game at times.

Good luck next week and hopefully everyone stays healthy for you guys.

diabsoule
01-14-2007, 05:50 PM

I saw basically the same two teams this weekend. Two teams with good offenses, but defenses that struggled in the pass game. And defenses that had trouble with the run game at times.

I was thinking that exact same thing. Good luck guys. This should be one hell of a game. I hope you guys stay injury free as well.

cowboysforever
01-14-2007, 05:53 PM
What do the NO fans think of Peyton's call to pitch to Bush at that point in the game with Deuce running so well?

I thought he could have cost ya the game but the False Start on the Iggles bailed him out.

Any reactions?

sweetness34
01-14-2007, 06:02 PM
What do the NO fans think of Peyton's call to pitch to Bush at that point in the game with Deuce running so well?

I thought he could have cost ya the game but the False Start on the Iggles bailed him out.

Any reactions?

I'm not a Saints fan but I though it was a terrible call. Deuce was killing hte Eagles up the middle, and then Sean tried to get cute and it almost cost them the game.

I was even pissed off at that call.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-14-2007, 06:53 PM

Any reactions?

Boy, we were lucky to get the ball back without the Eagles scoring... right after the fumble, this guy was saying "Overtime!" and my friend said, "Oh no, we're going to shut them down and win the game now!"

And thank goodness, he was right.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-14-2007, 07:00 PM

In regards to the Saints, I felt like we did a decent job stopping the run (with the exception of that 62 yard burst by Westbrook) but were poor against the pass. Hopefully, we can contain Jones and Benson and make Rex Grossman try to beat us. I think that if we can get to Grossman early and often, we can rattle him and cause him to have a bad game.

cowboysforever
01-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Well, it is official, Saints and New England are the luckiest folks on the planet.

sweetness34
01-14-2007, 07:28 PM

In regards to the Saints, I felt like we did a decent job stopping the run (with the exception of that 62 yard burst by Westbrook) but were poor against the pass. Hopefully, we can contain Jones and Benson and make Rex Grossman try to beat us. I think that if we can get to Grossman early and often, we can rattle him and cause him to have a bad game.

Rex got beat up the entire game today and still played well, which was surprising. He had constant heat in his face.

He will make bad decisions though if you get pressure on him, I can guarantee you that.

Both rush defenses were very good in points, and very bad in points of their respective games. The only difference I saw in you guys was that you could actually get a pass rush with your DL's, something we could not do at all.

Deuce really scares me though (as does Bush), but Deuce more because he's a downhill type runner and we struggle against those (see Alexander today).

Hopefully it's a dandy of a game.

nyjetsguy27
01-14-2007, 07:59 PM
i just want to say to all the saints fans, good luck. im really pulling for you guys against the teddy bears

RCAChainGang
01-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Just to let you know my dad came from louisiana and im a fan of the saints but i migh have to root against um if the colts win...

Id rather play the chicago bears then the Saints.

throwback54milkman
01-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Go Saints! the whole country is pullin' for you

diabsoule
01-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Any reactions?

I thought it was a terrible call. I think Payton thinks too hard about how to break a long run than he does to control the clock and pound the ball. That play was just awful and there was no need for it. I thin Deuce should have received the majority of the carries because the Eagles couldn't stop us from running. I know Bush needs his carries and all but when one runner (Deuce) is just demolishing the run defense then it become pretty obvious what you need to do.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
diabsoule, mad props to you for finding me this sweet Carmen Electra avatar and thanks to jkpigskin for the sig. For those of you who remember I had a Saints Dome Patrol sig that actually featured the four members of that great linebacking corps. Unfortunately, for some reason, it got trashed or something so now I have this one for the time being until I get a new one made.

I'll be sure to post some of my terrific insight on the Saints-Bears matchup in the coming days. I had to take off of work, but this time around, I'm watching the game with my boy diabsoule and my friends! :D

Flyboy
01-15-2007, 01:09 AM

If we can stop Benson/Jones, I really like our chances. The only thing that worries me is Berrian going against Fred Thomas... that's a double move away from a TD. :| And, Devin Hester. I think that if we can establish the run early with Deuce/Bush and keep the pressure off of Brees, we'll win. I'm just hoping for a good game with no injuries.. and a win, of course.

sweetness34
01-15-2007, 01:32 AM

If we can stop Benson/Jones, I really like our chances. The only thing that worries me is Berrian going against Fred Thomas... that's a double move away from a TD. :| And, Devin Hester. I think that if we can establish the run early with Deuce/Bush and keep the pressure off of Brees, we'll win. I'm just hoping for a good game with no injuries.. and a win, of course.

Whichever team runs the ball and stops the run most effectively will win this game IMO. Both teams have shotty secondaries right now so they cancel out. The run game will be the tale of this game from where I'm standing.

We're going to have our hands full with Deuce and Reggie. But the Saints are going to have their hands full with TJ and Benson (possibly AP if something happens).

Also the team that turns the ball over the least will win this game as well. Again, good luck on Sunday, stay healthy, and bring your A games.

Hopefully we'll do the same. See ya guys and god bless.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Sick and tired of seeing the REFs and Media actively rooting for this team.

False start?? False start? How about DB's Illegal Use of Hands, which NO does about every pass play. (*And this is a Cowboys fan saying it*)

Enuff Katrina sympathy. No one really cares anymore.

Go Bears.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Hope Saints lose.

False start?? False start? How about DB's Illegal Use of Hands, which NO does about every pass play. (*And this is a Cowboys fan saying it*)

Go Bears.

You are a classless human being.

bmoreravens5289
01-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Agreed. I'm rooting for the Saints to win the Superbowl.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

That is what happens when you bleed dry the sympathy well. I am all out of sympathy for everyone else. I lived 3 FL Hurricanes. I can't get insurance.

So whatever to a bunch of knuckleheads living under sea level with a bigot Mayor and Governor who where more interested in politics than helping constituents.

But football .......................

As a statement of fact, the REFs are twisting calls to your teams benefit and that ain't right.

Eagels got robbed and that is only one small sample of this year's REFs in the NO games.

Go Bears!

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

That is what happens when you bleed dry the sympathy well. I am all out of sympathy for everyone else. I lived 3 FL Hurricanes. I can't get insurance.

So whatever to a bunch of knuckleheads living under sea level with a bigot Mayor and Governor who where more interested in politics than helping constituents.

As a statement of fact, the REFs are twisting calls to your teams benefit and that ain't right.

Eagels got robbed and that is only one small sample of this year's REFs in the NO games.

Go Bears!

Okay, so you're bitter and classless.

And you don't know what you're talking about, either. Leave this thread.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Agreed. I'm rooting for the Saints to win the Superbowl.

Well, we can agree on one thing -- it is the fashionable pick. Like saying you support mothehood and apple pie. I am too egalitarian for that silly emotionalism.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Go Bears!

Whatever, as much as you want to think your problems are more important than others...... they are not. Sorry.

With that said, god blesses those who help themselves. So I congratulate the "non-victims" on the Gulf Coast. You represent the best of us.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Go Bears!

Whatever, as much as you want to think your problems are more important than others...... they are not. Sorry.

With that said, god blesses those who help themselves. So I congratulate the "non-victims" on the Gulf Coast. You represent the best of us.

You're making yourself look like a fool. Grow up.

I know you're probably still upset about 42-17 and your team flunking out of the playoffs, but it's time to move on.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Go Bears!

You're making yourself look like a fool. Grow up.

I know you're probably still upset about 42-17 and your team flunking out of the playoffs, but it's time to move on.

ROTFLMAO! Upset, no. Grow up, maybe.

If you win the SB then you can say that. But I thinks next week the slipper falls off. REFs won't just give ya the game in Chicago.

Until then ...... please spare me the holier than thou BS. It is intellectually boring and so cliche.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-15-2007, 11:05 AM
The "REFs" haven't given us a game all year so you should probably stop running your mouth.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 11:09 AM
The "REFs" haven't given us a game all year so you should probably stop running your mouth.

Let us start with Saturday night and the 4th down call on the Eagles.

Hey, you guys got jobbed in 2005 but that ain't no reason to job the Iggles (* still can't take the fact I am defending those bums *)

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Hey, you guys got jobbed in 2005 but that ain't no reason to job the Iggles (* still can't take the fact I am defending those bums *)

It was the right call. And if the refs were trying to give the game to either team, it wouldn't have come down to the wire. The Eagles played well, the Saints played better and won the game, in every sense of the word FAIR.

You really have no clue what you're talking about. Really, you don't. You were probably one of those idiot conspiracy theorists claiming that the Patriots won the Superbowl in 2001-02 because of 9/11. Get over that BS.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 11:23 AM

It was the right call. And if the refs were trying to give the game to either team, it wouldn't have come down to the wire. The Eagles played well, the Saints played better and won the game, in every sense of the word FAIR.

You really have no clue what you're talking about. Really, you don't. You were probably one of those idiot conspiracy theorists claiming that the Patriots won the Superbowl in 2001-02 because of 9/11. Get over that BS.

It don't matter. You go down this weekend REFs willing.

Flyboy
01-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Go away.

diabsoule
01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Read the rules to the Team Discussion Board.

Also, postng in another team's thread with the intention of starting arguments is strictly prohibited and is a sure way to get yourself in trouble

Leave this thread or else I will call down the wrath of the Warden.

What you have wrote in our thread is totally uncalled, completely classless, and downright ugly.

It's one thing if your're pulling for the Bears but wish us a good game but it's another when you write what you have written.

sweetness34
01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Also, postng in another team's thread with the intention of starting arguments is strictly prohibited and is a sure way to get yourself in trouble

What you have wrote in our thread is totally uncalled, completely classless, and downright ugly.

It's one thing if your're pulling for the Bears but wish us a good game but it's another when you write what you have written.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. You have something to say like that, keep it in your own team board. There is no reason to try and start crap in another teams' threads.

The Saints got here because the won ballgames against good teams, period, end of story. They won because they were the better team on Saturday, and there is no way around that.

It's the same goddamn thing with the Bears. People saying we "escaped" yesterday. Who gives a crap, we won the friggin game, jesus.

Ugh I'm just tired of the bashing of the NFC and the praise of the AFC. Hey, guess what, both NFC home teams held up their end of the bargain, but niether AFC team could, hmmmm sounds fishy to me.
[/i]

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Yawn. I did not insult any of you. You are taking offense over a concept and one many folks believe in.

Go Bears.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Yawn. I did not insult any of you. You are taking offense over a concept and one many folks believe in.

Go Bears.

The fact that your own bitterness prevents you from wanting to see good things happen for people who have gone through so much tragedy in the all too recent past is almost as despicable as your not wanting the Saints to win because you're "tired of hearing" about the victims of Hurricane Katrina. You insulted me, and I wouldn't mind seeing you disappear off these forums for a little while.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Hope Saints lose.

Go Bears.

Go Bears.

The fact that your own bitterness prevents you from wanting to see good things happen for people who have gone through so much tragedy in the all too recent past is almost as despicable as your not wanting the Saints to win because you're "tired of hearing" about the victims of Hurricane Katrina. You insulted me, and I wouldn't mind seeing you disappear off these forums for a little while.

I did not insult you. You took offense at my expressing a feeling that my sympathy battery is on empty for New Orleans and the Saints.

I realise this is not popular in the media but there are plenty of individuals who are "on empty."

Good luck to you personally but to the Saints, enuff luck. Go Bears.

Jughead10
01-16-2007, 10:05 AM
"I got a call from Michael Strahan," Grant said. He's had a lot of success against Runyan. Today, I had success with what Strahan told me. That was a wonderful thing. I thank him for that."

Strahan doing his part to help beat the Eagles even when we aren't in the playoffs anymore. Well done Michael. Anyway, I hope you guys beat Chicago.

diabsoule
01-16-2007, 11:41 AM
"I got a call from Michael Strahan," Grant said. He's had a lot of success against Runyan. Today, I had success with what Strahan told me. That was a wonderful thing. I thank him for that."

Strahan doing his part to help beat the Eagles even when we aren't in the playoffs anymore. Well done Michael. Anyway, I hope you guys beat Chicago.

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks Michael Strahan.

sweetness34
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM

:cry: :lol:

Jughead10
01-16-2007, 12:11 PM

Yeah thats not the first time Strahan has done that. I believe he did the same for Julius Peppers two years ago. Him and Runyan claim to get along, but I don't think they really do since he is now known for giving other teams tips on how he he beats him.

diabsoule
01-16-2007, 07:14 PM

Yeah thats not the first time Strahan has done that. I believe he did the same for Julius Peppers two years ago. Him and Runyan claim to get along, but I don't think they really do since he is now known for giving other teams tips on how he he beats him.

That's cool. I'm glad he helped us out. Now only if some of the Saints get in touch with some of the Packers players to help slow down the Bears.

sweetness34
01-17-2007, 10:35 AM
It's snowin up in Chicago baby!! Awesome, I love snow games!! :D

That means a lot of running the ball hopefully, smash mouth football!

diabsoule
01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
It's snowin up in Chicago baby!! Awesome, I love snow games!! :D

That means a lot of running the ball hopefully, smash mouth football!

I think both of our teams will be able to handle smash mouth football. Any which way, it should be awesome.

diabsoule
01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I heard there's a good possiblity that Horn might not play Sun. I would really like to see him in uniform on the field for this game.

Flyboy
01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I heard there's a good possiblity that Horn might not play Sun. I would really like to see him in uniform on the field for this game.

Yeah, but it's just something we've gotten used to lately. If anything.. on the good side, if we win then he's pretty much a lock to play in the Super Bowl.

jblaze66
01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey Saints Fans, got a question is Charles Grant an UFA? I have heard this but haven't found anything concrete all I could find was this:

http://saints.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/01/bucs-interested-in-charles-grant/

The Bucs are looking at signing Charles Grant, an unrestricted free agent after this year

Thanks in advance I wanted to know so i can correct my FA Tracker if this is true.

diabsoule
01-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey Saints Fans, got a question is Charles Grant an UFA? I have heard this but haven't found anything concrete all I could find was this:

The Bucs are looking at signing Charles Grant, an unrestricted free agent after this year

Thanks in advance I wanted to know so i can correct my FA Tracker if this is true.

He's a restricted FA. He signed a 6 year deal in 2002.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-17-2007, 08:03 PM

As much as I'd really like to see Joe Horn play on Sunday, I don't think he's going to play. I hate to say this, because I'm one the biggest Joe Horn fans out there, but I think that Horn is at the end of his playing career with the New Orleans Saints. :(

Honestly, even though the Saints signed Horn to a long term deal, I don't think that they can afford to pay his salary if all he's going to do is sit back in street clothes and collect his money.

Flyboy
01-17-2007, 08:40 PM
And, we all know too well that Coach Payton is not scared to get rid of players that don't help the team.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
And, we all know too well that Coach Payton is not scared to get rid of players that don't help the team.

Yeah...it would be bittersweet. I mean, he helped us get to this point. I never thought I'd be saying that the Saints are only one win from the Super Bowl. Honestly, I think that if the Saints are smart, they keep him around and then when he retires, they get him a cushy front office job or something like that. The Saints should let him have a goodbye tour like Jerome Bettis had last season.

diabsoule
01-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Yeah...it would be bittersweet. I mean, he helped us get to this point. I never thought I'd be saying that the Saints are only one win from the Super Bowl. Honestly, I think that if the Saints are smart, they keep him around and then when he retires, they get him a cushy front office job or something like that. The Saints should let him have a goodbye tour like Jerome Bettis had last season.

I heard that Horn was at practice today but he's still going to be a game time decision.

Flyboy
01-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I never thought I'd be saying that the Saints are only one win from the Super Bowl.

I still get chills.

And part of me still doesn't believe it. *sigh* Man.

jblaze66
01-17-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't want to be an annoyance but I think my post got buried a bit, if anyone has any solid info about his contract status it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :arrow:

diabsoule
01-18-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't want to be an annoyance but I think my post got buried a bit, if anyone has any solid info about his contract status it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :arrow:

Like I said, Grant signed a 6 year contract in 2002.

LSUSAINT
01-18-2007, 09:51 AM

He's a free agent. He as reached incentive levels that voids his contract thus making him an unrestricted free agent.

kew174psu
01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey guys just found out about this site. HUGE Saints fan here.

jblaze66
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM

He's a free agent. He as reached incentive levels that voids his contract thus making him an unrestricted free agent.
Thank you very much.

diabsoule
01-18-2007, 05:00 PM

I think it is top priority that we re-sign him in the offseason. Even though we have Ninkovich on the roster, I still think we keep Grant, especially after the season he has had this year. I also think that Ninkovich could possibly make the transition to linebacker.

SouthernPride396
01-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm not a big Saints fan or anything, but living in their market, I've been following them pretty closely these last two years.

Over the past season, NOTHING has stood out to me more than Fred Thomas's ****** play on the deep ball. Double moves get him all the time, and he's pretty easily burned. I know the media is just now picking up on it, but we've known all year long that one of the shakiest points on the saints is at cornerback. Thomas just has the tendency to get beat and gives up the big play.

How do the Saints plan to address the need in the off-season. With needs at linebacker too and not a very strong draft, at CB, will the Saints use free agency to address it? Who might be available?

diabsoule
01-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm not a big Saints fan or anything, but living in their market, I've been following them pretty closely these last two years.

Over the past season, NOTHING has stood out to me more than Fred Thomas's *********** play on the deep ball. Double moves get him all the time, and he's pretty easily burned. I know the media is just now picking up on it, but we've known all year long that one of the shakiest points on the saints is at cornerback. Thomas just has the tendency to get beat and gives up the big play.

How do the Saints plan to address the need in the off-season. With needs at linebacker too and not a very strong draft, at CB, will the Saints use free agency to address it? Who might be available?

There aren't that many big names hitting the free agent market and with money tied up between Brees, Deuce, Horn, and Bush, and also with us probably going to try to re-sign Charles Grant, I don't really see us having much money to spend to lure a big name free agent down here. One thing that I think is going to happen is that we are either going to have persuade Horn to take a pay cut or cut him out-right. Horn's playing time has dimished and his injuries keep piling up year and year. I'm a big fan of Horn and I know SaintsDomePatrol is a huge fan of his too, but with the emergence of Colston and Devery Henderson, I think Horn become expendable.

As far as the cornerback position is concerned, I feel this way... Mike McKenzie is decent. He's not a #1 corner at all, but would be fine being a #2. Curtis DeLoatch and DeJuan Groce add depth and little else. Jason Craft has lost a step in his age and is decent nickleback but we could stand to improve there. Fred Thomas is gone. So, cornerback is a huge need.

Nate Clements and Asante Samuel are the two biggest CB free agents and will both demand quite a bit of money, money that the Saints can't afford to spend.
The only other notable unrestricted free agent CB's are Nick Harper (Indianapolis Colts) and David Macklin (Arizona Cardinals). Harper wouldn't be too bad to bring in as he would be an upgrade over Thomas, but then again my little sister would be an upgrade over Thomas. Macklin, eh, maybe a nickleback at best. There are some decent restricted free agents but none that I would send a draft pick for.

So, that leaves the draft. First round, I think we pick BPA at a position of need like ILB, OLB, CB, or DT. 2nd Round we must pick up a CB. Same thing, I believe, in the fourth too.

So to answer your question, I think we may sign a free agent CB but not one that will "wow" anyone. What we do is address our secondary problem through the draft.

SouthernPride396
01-18-2007, 08:36 PM

Over the past season, NOTHING has stood out to me more than Fred Thomas's *********** play on the deep ball. Double moves get him all the time, and he's pretty easily burned. I know the media is just now picking up on it, but we've known all year long that one of the shakiest points on the saints is at cornerback. Thomas just has the tendency to get beat and gives up the big play.

There aren't that many big names hitting the free agent market and with money tied up between Brees, Deuce, Horn, and Bush, and also with us probably going to try to re-sign Charles Grant, I don't really see us having much money to spend to lure a big name free agent down here. One thing that I think is going to happen is that we are either going to have persuade Horn to take a pay cut or cut him out-right. Horn's playing time has dimished and his injuries keep piling up year and year. I'm a big fan of Horn and I know SaintsDomePatrol is a huge fan of his too, but with the emergence of Colston and Devery Henderson, I think Horn become expendable.

As far as the cornerback position is concerned, I feel this way... Mike McKenzie is decent. He's not a #1 corner at all, but would be fine being a #2. Curtis DeLoatch and DeJuan Groce add depth and little else. Jason Craft has lost a step in his age and is decent nickleback but we could stand to improve there. Fred Thomas is gone. So, cornerback is a huge need.

Nate Clements and Asante Samuel are the two biggest CB free agents and will both demand quite a bit of money, money that the Saints can't afford to spend.
The only other notable unrestricted free agent CB's are Nick Harper (Indianapolis Colts) and David Macklin (Arizona Cardinals). Harper wouldn't be too bad to bring in as he would be an upgrade over Thomas, but then again my little sister would be an upgrade over Thomas. Macklin, eh, maybe a nickleback at best. There are some decent restricted free agents but none that I would send a draft pick for.

So, that leaves the draft. First round, I think we pick BPA at a position of need like ILB, OLB, CB, or DT. 2nd Round we must pick up a CB. Same thing, I believe, in the fourth too.

So to answer your question, I think we may sign a free agent CB but not one that will "wow" anyone. What we do is address our secondary problem through the draft.

Thanks

Saints Dome Patrol
01-18-2007, 11:18 PM

I've seen diabsoule's sister, and man, is she a looker...! :shock:

She'd definitely "wow" me! :D

Saints Dome Patrol
01-19-2007, 12:50 AM

I guess I should post a serious response after my comments about diabsoule's sister. :|

First, I agree that there isn't a lot of money that the Saints will be able to use to sign any big name free agent talent. With all the money tied up with Brees, McAllister, Bush, and Horn, I don't see the Saints targeting any big targets on the offensive side of the ball. As I've already mentioned, as big of a Joe Horn fan I am, I don't think that the Saints can afford to keep him on the team with as much as he's costing us, especially since he hasn't been playing the last few weeks. As diabsoule said, with the emergence of Marques Colston and Devery Henderson, Horn might be expeditable.

With that being said, if the Saints get rid of Horn, they will need to target a wide receiver in either free agency or the mid to late rounds of the Draft. Horn was not only the Saints' number one receiver for several years, but he also was probably the best possession receiver the Saints have had in a long time. I know that Colston is now the Saints' number one and I definitely think that he's earned it. And Henderson is a great deep threat downfield. The thing is, as good as Henderson is, he's not a number two receiver. The Saints could use someone to be the possession guy and Henderson can be the slot receiver. One of the mock drafts that diabsoule did had the Saints getting Steve Smith, the wide receiver from Southern Cal. That wouldn't be that bad of a selection, and would definitely help our receiving corps.

First and foremost, I really believe, win or lose, this offseason, Fred Thomas is getting the boot this offseason. He's too much of a liability, with his lack of speed and lack of coverage skills have cost the team severely. Mike McKenzie, in my opinion, never lived up to the hype that he had when he came over from Green Bay. I think that cornerback is probably the primary need for the Saints in free agency and the Draft.

As you mentioned, Asante Samuel and Nate Clements are the two biggest free agent cornerbacks in this year's offseason. However, as you also said, both will be too expensive for the Saints to target. If the Saints were to bring in Nick Harper, he'd be an improvement over Thomas, but I don't think that he could be a number one corner. Also, Harper is already 32 -- only one year younger than Fred Thomas, and I think the Saints are trying to become a younger team all the way around, so I don't know if someone like Harper is the answer. I'm clueless when it comes to Macklin. All I could find out is that he's only 28, and has been in the league seven years. Looking at his stats, I would guess he could be a nickelback, but that still leaves us with the problem of Fred Thomas as the second cornerback, and I don't think that Jason Craft is that much of an improvement.

I think that in the Draft, the Saints have their work cut out for them. For the first time ever, the Saints will be drafting in the last few picks of the first round, and I think that the majority of the players that would fill needs will be gone. Players like Ole Miss LB Patrick Willis, Pitt CB Darrelle Revis, Penn State LB Paul Posluszny might all be gone by the middle of the round, but someone like Fresno State CB Marcus McCauley or Louisville DT Amobi Okoye might be worth the pick in the first round. Both fill a definite need on the Saints roster.

As for the later rounds, with multiple selections in the middle rounds, I think that the Saints are in a good position to either choose several players that could provide depth (or in the case of Colston, start) or combine these picks to move up and snatch a playmaker in one of the earlier rounds.

We'll have to see come April, but for right now, I can't really focus on the Draft as I'm too excited for Sunday! One more win and we're talking about the Saints in the Super Bowl! Can you believe it?!

diabsoule
01-19-2007, 01:03 AM
I know the Senior Bowl is coming up in a few weeks. I plan on watching it and keeping track of a good deal of the players. With the combine that they have and all of that you will see players lower and rise their draft stock. So, I'm going to wait until the Saints are out of the playoffs before doing another mock for them.

And yeah, I'm so freaking excited about this Sunday. If we win you'll be hearing me chanting "black and gold Super Bowl" all night.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-19-2007, 02:09 AM
One player that I have a "man-crush" and will be keeping an eye on during the combine/Draft workouts is Georgia linebacker Tony Taylor.

Scott's bio of Georgia LB Tony Taylor (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/tonytaylor.html)

Official bio from University of Georgia's Web site (http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=307747)

I saw him play on several occasions and he was all over the field, especially in the Chick-fil-a Bowl this past December. Might I say, he got a bounce off of the carpet in the Georgia Dome and looked mighty sharp against Virginia Tech.

As it is, I realize that he's got some injury concerns but since the Saints have several picks in the middle of the Draft, maybe they'd consider him.

sweetness34
01-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Since diabsoule trolled into our forum and said some really mean things about our team, I figure I'd return the favor. :wink: Just kiddin...

Good luck to you guys as well. As confident as I am about this game, I'm just as nervous and worried.

A) You guys have a very good team

B) It's the playoffs and anything can happen

C) Good ole Rexy could show his bad side

D) We've been prone to snowball our mistakes in games

Like I mentioned earlier, I think the team who stops the run and runs the ball most effectively, and the team that limits their TO's will win this game IMO. So best of luck, stay healthy, and we'll see you on Sunday in the Windy City baby! :D

diabsoule
01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Allright, Saints fans, this is it. We play the Bears in a little over a day.

What are some of you guys keys to victory?

Flyboy
01-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Too tired to go over keys to win.. but ever since I started doing this, I think we've won.. so...

*chestbumps all the Saints fans* Let's get it going, guys!

Xonraider
01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
One question: How do you feel about Mark Simoneau? If Patrick Willis or Buster Davis were available by the time you pick, would you take either of them?

Flyboy
01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I would take either in a heartbeat.

diabsoule
01-21-2007, 12:36 AM
One question: How do you feel about Mark Simoneau? If Patrick Willis or Buster Davis were available by the time you pick, would you take either of them?

I'm not sold on Simoneau. If Patrick Willis were available at our pick I would take him in a heartbeart. As far as Buster Davis is concerned, it depends on who else is available. If Darrelle Revis or Marcus McCauley is there, Patrick Willis is not there, and Buster Davis is there then I would take either CB before ILB.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-21-2007, 07:25 AM

I'm not sold on Simoneau. If Patrick Willis were available at our pick I would take him in a heartbeart. As far as Buster Davis is concerned, it depends on who else is available. If Darrelle Revis or Marcus McCauley is there, Patrick Willis is not there, and Buster Davis is there then I would take either CB before ILB.

I think that Simoneau has done a great job this season... but I think that's he's more of a stop-gap until April. I really believe that the Saints will finally select a linebacker in the first day and Simoneau might be delegated to a back-up role. :?

But he's done great for us this season. :D

Saints Dome Patrol
01-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Too tired to go over keys to win.. but ever since I started doing this, I think we've won.. so...

*chestbumps all the Saints fans* Let's get it going, guys!

*returns chest bump*

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to pass out... :|

Flyboy
01-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I could not sleep at all last night to save my life.

And, I still want to see Danny Clark get a full shake at starting for us.

diabsoule
01-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I couldn't go to sleep last night. I'm really groggy and everything this morning. It feels like the day before Christmas.

*chestbump* Geaux Saints!

swagger
01-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Fred Thomas :oops:

diabsoule
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
One thing is certain after watching this game, we have to draft a cornerback in this upcoming draft. Freddy "Mr. Toast" Thomas can not be a starter in this league

On the game, there is absolutely no way the Bears played a perfect game like the refs called. I saw several penalties the refs overlooked. But, the Bears looked like the better team out there. We looked bad and unprepared. I do not know what it was out there but we just did not look like the team that had one 11 games this season and postseason. I am very disappointed.

As I have stated previously, I did not expect the Saints to get this far, or much less make the playoffs, but this is just so very disappointed for our team to get this far and fall short. My expectations and hopes have been dashed.

Here is to next season. Cheers.

bearsfan_51
01-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Congrats on a great season guys. Nothing to be ashamade about considering nobody even expected you to make the playoffs.

That being said, I was supposedly "owned" a month ago for saying that if the Bears and Saints met in the playoffs we would win for two reasons.

1)Homefield advantage
2)Your lack of run defense

Looks pretty dead on. Before anything else happens the Saints need to add a lot of talent on defense or they'll never win on the road in the playoffs.

Dillen
01-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Freddy "Mr. Toast" Thomas can not be a starter in this league
First off, sorry to see the Saints season end in a blowout. I'll admit I don't like them that much because the media was making the Saints seem like an undefeated team. It was a good story while it lasted.

Second, Izell Jenkins is the real toast. You can call Freddy that now...but when your teammates call you "Izell 'Toast' Jenkins," you know you get burned a lot.

Canadian_kid16
01-21-2007, 05:26 PM
That was a tough loss, but the Saints are looking good for next year...

sucks to be the Bucs :cry:

iameverywhere
01-21-2007, 05:39 PM

It don't matter. You go down this weekend REFs willing.

Well, as it is written let it be so. Good season and next year looks bright.

Smokey Joe
01-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Now, I didn't think New Orleans was that great of a team to begin with, but they will be dangerous in a year or two. One or two more good offseasons and the Saints will be a force to be reakened with for many years.

Flyboy
01-21-2007, 07:36 PM
We had a great season and will continue to hold up my head. Thank you, Saints. I'll never forget this season.

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 07:58 PM
i think everyone who wasnt a bears fan was rooting for you guys including myself, good luck to you all next year and congrats on a great season

iameverywhere
01-21-2007, 11:33 PM
i think everyone who wasnt a bears fan was rooting for you guys including myself, good luck to you all next year and congrats on a great season

Not me. I was rooting for the Bears cuz I don't like Cinderalla stories. I want the best two teams to play each other.... that is why last year was so disappointing.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-22-2007, 03:23 AM

Thank you. Your and everyone else's support of the Saints was greatly appreciated. :)

*lifts glass to toast Saints*

Here's for a great 2006 season, to a great offseason, and for a EXCELLENT 2007!

And...to all my fellow Saints fans, I have one more thing to say:

Who dat? Who dat? Who dat sey dey gonna beat dem Saints?! :D

Flyboy
01-22-2007, 12:26 PM

Thank you. Your and everyone else's support of the Saints was greatly appreciated. :)

*lifts glass to toast Saints*

Here's for a great 2006 season, to a great offseason, and for a EXCELLENT 2007!

And...to all my fellow Saints fans, I have one more thing to say:

Who dat? Who dat? Who dat sey dey gonna beat dem Saints?! :D

For real, man. What a great season.. and here's to a better 2007.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I could not have been more disappointed and ashamed in the way the Saints played yesterday.

That said, I could not be any more proud of this team... OUR team, and their performance this season.

We obviously have a lot of needs to fill but the future is bright in New Orleans. Congrats to the Bears for showing everybody (myself included) who the best team in the NFC truly is. Beat Indy!

diabsoule
01-22-2007, 01:54 PM
It was a very disheartening performance yesterday by the Saints. The Bears just looked to have outplayed us and outperformed us. I was clearly expecting a better game.

It hard to explain this season. I did not expect the Saints to even have a winning record going into the season, I expected them to go 6-10 to 8-8 at best. They clearly surpassed by expectations by going 10-6 and winning the first even franchise bye week. My spirits were raised and my hopes were up. Then my hopes were further heightened by them beating Philadelphia to make it to the first ever NFC Championship game. For the first time in franchise history we were just a game away from making it to the Super Bowl. Then the game is played and well, everyone knows the rest.

It is just an unexplainable feeling. I'm very happy for the team, my hometown team that I root for, who are perennial losers, to finally turn their season around and give us something to be hopeful for. I had Faith in the Saints. I am very proud of what they did and all they accomplished this season but at the same time I can't help to feel disappointed in how they played yesterday. Althought I'm proud I feel like my hopes have been dashed.

But all I can say is that there is always next season and we should continue to get better and better.

Flyboy
01-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I hate how dia always steals my posts. :(

sweetness34
01-22-2007, 08:01 PM

IBNO does the same thing to me so don't feel bad. :D

Take it this way, at least someone else agrees with you. :lol:

diabsoule
01-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Sorry, buddy. Didn't know you were going to post something like that.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, Saints fans... I know it's sad to be talking to you after such a disheartening loss, but we can all be proud of the Saints.

After so many years of disappointment, losing, and transactions that didn't make sense, it was finally grand to have a team that didn't pay any attention to the years of losing and made us forget about all those years of suffering.

Now, with the nucleus of a great offense, and some good players on the defense, we have an excellent future ahead of us. I think that we're only one or two players away from returning to the playoffs and hopefully, going further next year than we did this year.

diabsoule
01-23-2007, 11:01 PM
According to Scott, the Saints have been looking at DeMarcus Tyler and Patrick Willis at the Senior Bowl. I would be ecstatic if Willis fell to us in the 1st.

Flyboy
01-24-2007, 12:01 AM
If we got Willis, I'd spurge myself. For real.

GeauxSaints
01-24-2007, 10:56 AM
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Paul Posluszny LB, Penn State
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Paul Williams, WR Fresno State
Quinton Culberson LB, MSU
Stephen Nicholas, LB South Florida
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Johnnie Lee Higgins WR, UTEP
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon
Ryne Robinson WR, Miami OH

Saints Dome Patrol
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
According to Scott, the Saints have been looking at DeMarcus Tyler and Patrick Willis at the Senior Bowl. I would be ecstatic if Willis fell to us in the 1st.

If Patrick Willis fell all the way... "all the way to Bourbon Street to Esplanade"... sorry, to us at 29, then we should take him in a heartbeat and then celebrate, because then we'd finally have our premier linebacker.

That being said, I don't know if DeMarcus Tyler is worth a first round selection. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't go after a defensive tackle, I just think that either cornerback or linebacker should be our top targets.

Flyboy
01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
"They might be the most attractive team in the NFL right now."

Wow.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-28/116962404198400.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

diabsoule
01-24-2007, 04:59 PM
So, now that the regular season is done. Who do we go after in FA? I have a few ideas I'll post later

GiantRutgersFan
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey. Im a Giants fan, but I was wondering if the Saints would consider trading any of their WRs? They have an abundance of young talent at the position

Flyboy
01-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey. Im a Giants fan, but I was wondering if the Saints would consider trading any of their WRs? They have an abundance of young talent at the position

I think it's safe to say that Joe Horn will not be a Saint next year -- either we're going to cut him or trade him (unlikely) if he doesn't reconstruct his contract.

diabsoule
01-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Just like Flyboy said, I think the only wide receivers the Saints would be interested in trading are Joe Horn, Michael Lewis, and possibly Terrance Copper.

Flyboy
01-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I hope we don't get rid of Cooper -- he really came up for us in the stretch of the season.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-25-2007, 02:23 AM
As much as I liked Terrence Copper's ability to step up and take over, he's not a top wide receiver. I know that they're going to hang on to Marques Colston, but other than that, I think that everyone is up for grabs, including Devery Henderson and Joe Horn.

diabsoule
01-25-2007, 03:05 AM
This is what I would like to see the Saints do in the off-season:

Re-sign DE Charles Grant
Re-sign TE Billy Miller
Re-sign OT Jon Stinchcomb
Re-sign DT Hollis Thomas (to short term)
Re-sign LB Scott Shanle
Re-sign LB Danny Clark
Re-sign Omar Stoutmire

Free Agents
Pursue TE Daniel Graham (N.E.)
Pursue ILB Kawika Mitchell (KC)
Pursue CB Roderick Hood (PHI)
Look into the tender for CB/S Jordan Babineaux (SEA)

Draft Needs
Linebacker and Cornerback are our biggest needs. Address them first, followed by defensive tackle.

EDIT: Compiled by me and SaintsDomePatrol.

diabsoule
01-25-2007, 04:45 PM
New Orleans Saints scout look at the Senior Bowl:
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3315

TH3
01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
where does WR fall on the saints needs this off season?

diabsoule
01-26-2007, 02:54 PM
where does WR fall on the saints needs this off season?

It all depends on how our offseason goes. If we sign free agents CB Rod Hood & TE Daniel Graham, then I would say that it raises the need for a WR, but if we do not land a free agent cornerback, especially, then it decreases the need for a WR.

But as it sits right now, not looking at free agency, I would say that WR falls to 3rd or 4th priority, depending. Positions needed before WR are CB, ILB, DT, and then WR.

diabsoule
01-26-2007, 06:27 PM
W/o any major FA acquisitions & barring Philly not signing Dante Stallworth...

My (optimistic) draft for the Saints:

1st Round - LB Patrick Willis
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ole/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/335601.jpeg

2nd Round - CB Tanard Jackson http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper522/stills/tx0im7q8.jpg

3rd Round - OLB Tony Taylor
http://www.secsports.com/image_lib/fbc_uga_tony_taylor_164w.jpg

4th Round - TE Ben Patrick
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/duke/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/38096.jpeg

4th Round - WR Steve Smith
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050105/images/sports_usc.jpg

4th Round - OG Andy Alleman
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics11/200/AS/ASGPWLDDMPLTDXH.20060810205932.jpg

5th Round - DT Stanley Doughty
http://www.provhosp.com/photos/lgDOUGHTYSTANLEY.JPG

Now, I would really like to see us sign CB Rod Hood and TE Daniel Graham but this what I think might happen come April.

Flyboy
01-26-2007, 08:18 PM
What are the reports about Tanard Jackson?

Saints Dome Patrol
01-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Now that the forum mock is in the books, I just wanted to see what the Saints fans thought of the picks that diabsoule and I chose.

(keep in mind that we had the 25th selection overall and Philadelphia did not resign Donte' Stallworth at this point)

1st round - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
2nd round - Buster Davis, ILB, Florida State
3rd round - Mason Crosby, K, Colorado
4th round - Tony Taylor, LB, Georgia

We also traded a fourth rounder to Seattle for CB/S Jordan Babineaux and another fourth rounder to St. Louis for DT Jimmy Kennedy.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? :D

Flyboy
01-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Very, very nice. Kinda crazy that Davis lasted until the 2nd round.

diabsoule
01-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Reports from Seahawks fans suggest that Jordan Babineaux is worth between a 4th-6th Rd pick. I say we trade Seattle one of those picks and get him. He offers us versatility in the secondary. Then we sign Rod Hood from Philly. Those two additions would significantly help out our backfield and we could also cut Jason Craft and Fred Thomas. Then we draft a CB like Aaron Ross or Tanard Jackson and we're set in the secondary.

UtepMiner
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi. I'm a Saints fan noticed there was a Saints discussion on here so I registered.

Here are some of my off season thoughts.
* I think a top priority is determining what happens with Charles Grant. He is an UFA. Personally I would like to get him re-signed because even though he is inconsistent I don't think we will be able to off-set his loss easily. Hopefully he can work out a contract, but if not I hope the Saints will use the franchise tag on him.

* Another big concern is the Joe Horn situation. Will he be back or not? I think his cap number for next season is 5.7 Million, with a base salary of 4.45 million. For a 34 year old(almost 35) wide receiver with injury concerns he just isn't worth it anymore, not at that salary. I know the Saints will probably ask him to restructure but I don't know if Joe will be want to take less money, if that is the case then I think he will be in another uniform next season sadly.

the main focus of the off season should be on Defense. I think these are primary needs.
- CB - I'm stating the obvious here, but Fred Thomas just isn't a starting corner in the league, he must have gave up the most receiving touchdowns over 20 yards this season. I think we need a speedy cover corner, who can keep up with WRs downfield. I also think we could use some fresh depth at corner; Craft, Groce, Deloatch might be the most unimpressive group of DBs.

- MLB - Simoneau was a solid veteran for us this year, but I think he was stop gap type player. I really think the Saints need a guy in the middle who can make plays sideline to sideline chasing down backs, someone who can force turnovers and be a game changer.

- DT - I thought Hollis Thomas was a good addition this year and would like him re-signed. Although it would be great to have a disruptor along the D-line a two way defensive tackle who can collapse the pocket pass rushing, and disrupt plays in the backfield. I don't think we'll have a shot at him but I would love to land Amobi Akoye.

I honestly don't think the Saints will pursue the Elite free agents on the market (like Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, Adalius Thomas) but rather they'll go after the second tier free agents that won't cost as much and can fill the roles in the team structure. Guys like Nick Harper, Rod Hood, Terdell Sands.

Basically I think the Saints should draft Best Defensive Player available at #27. Personally I like Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons, Darrelle Revis, Amobi Akoye. Now of course all of those players could possible be off the board by the time we pick, but I think one or two of them will still be there.

Right now I'm really liking Patrick Willis, he had 11 tackles in the senior bowl game. I know early on he struggled at the point of attack, but other than those few plays he was generally all over the field.

Here are two videos of him in action which show he has some great abilities as a player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

*the second one in particular should erase some doubts about his sideline-to-sideline ability. He makes an amazing tackle on the Heisman candidate McFadden. Misdirection play, Willis doesn't bite, and then he chases McFadden down in the open field before he can turn the corner. Amazing pursuit.

GeauxSaints
01-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Now that the forum mock is in the books, I just wanted to see what the Saints fans thought of the picks that diabsoule and I chose.

(keep in mind that we had the 25th selection overall and Philadelphia did not resign Donte' Stallworth at this point)

We also traded a fourth rounder to Seattle for CB/S Jordan Babineaux and another fourth rounder to St. Louis for DT Jimmy Kennedy.

If we were able to get Ross and Davis with our first two picks, i think that would be enough to put us in the super bowl. I doubt Davis will last that long. I dont like taking a K with our 3rd. While it is a good value pick, I think we could still get a starter on defense (DT), or a TE that would give Brees another target. I dont have any complaints about our offense, but Brees loves passing to them, and it would give Payton another piece to play with. Taylor in the 4th is another great pick. I think he got lost a little at Georgia, but he is a quality LB. I also like the trades. Babineaux would be a steal for a fourth rounder. I dont know much about Kennedy.

where can we see the mock?

diabsoule
01-28-2007, 03:51 AM

If we were able to get Ross and Davis with our first two picks, i think that would be enough to put us in the super bowl. I doubt Davis will last that long. I dont like taking a K with our 3rd. While it is a good value pick, I think we could still get a starter on defense (DT), or a TE that would give Brees another target. I dont have any complaints about our offense, but Brees loves passing to them, and it would give Payton another piece to play with. Taylor in the 4th is another great pick. I think he got lost a little at Georgia, but he is a quality LB. I also like the trades. Babineaux would be a steal for a fourth rounder. I dont know much about Kennedy.

where can we see the mock?

I thought Babineaux was a steal too and he is a guy I really want the Saints to try and negotiate with this offseason and see if they could trade a 4th Rd to Seattle for him.
Unfortunately, the mock was taken down so you can't see who every one picked.
I can tell you a little about Kennedy: He's a big guy (6'4", 325lbs) and his nickname is Bear. He's one of the starting defense tackles for the St. Louis Rams and is a Hollis Thomas like player. Doesn't get much sacks but clogs the middle.

GeauxSaints
01-28-2007, 10:37 AM
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon

diabsoule name a few sleepers that you think would be good for us. i listed a few of mine earlier, but i will put the list up again.

do you really think we would have a shot at smith in the 4th? i dont see him lasting past the 3rd.

GeauxSaints
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I think a top priority is determining what happens with Charles Grant. He is an UFA. Personally I would like to get him re-signed because even though he is inconsistent I don't think we will be able to off-set his loss easily. Hopefully he can work out a contract, but if not I hope the Saints will use the franchise tag on him.

he will be re-signed. after the year we had, i dont think he would leave.

Another big concern is the Joe Horn situation. Will he be back or not? I think his cap number for next season is 5.7 Million, with a base salary of 4.45 million. For a 34 year old(almost 35) wide receiver with injury concerns he just isn't worth it anymore, not at that salary. I know the Saints will probably ask him to restructure but I don't know if Joe will be want to take less money, if that is the case then I think he will be in another uniform next season sadly.

i agree with everything you said. i hope we can find a way to have horn on our roster next season. i think he is a tremendous leader, and he disserves a chance to play in the super bowl.

I'm stating the obvious here, but Fred Thomas just isn't a starting corner in the league, he must have gave up the most receiving touchdowns over 20 yards this season. I think we need a speedy cover corner, who can keep up with WRs downfield. I also think we could use some fresh depth at corner; Craft, Groce, Deloatch might be the most unimpressive group of DBs.

we have to take a CB with one of our first two picks. it should either be LB/CB or CB/LB depending on who is avaiable.

I honestly don't think the Saints will pursue the Elite free agents on the market (like Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, Adalius Thomas) but rather they'll go after the second tier free agents that won't cost as much and can fill the roles in the team structure. Guys like Nick Harper, Rod Hood, Terdell Sands.

i think last year proved we dont need to overpay these free agents. it is better done by drafting properly. i would like to see us do something like we did last year in getting faine and thomas. by dropping down a few picks, we could gain a solid vet. of course, this all depends on who is available when our pick is up.

Basically I think the Saints should draft Best Defensive Player available at #27. Personally I like Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons, Darrelle Revis, Amobi Akoye. Now of course all of those players could possible be off the board by the time we pick, but I think one or two of them will still be there.

if willis is avaiable, i think we have to take him.

diabsoule
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon

diabsoule name a few sleepers that you think would be good for us. i listed a few of mine earlier, but i will put the list up again.

do you really think we would have a shot at smith in the 4th? i dont see him lasting past the 3rd.

By Smith I would assume you are thinking Brian Smith, and yes, I do think we would have a shot of getting him in the 4th Round. I think he is going to last into the second day due to his injury and the only way he can disspell any lingering doubts about how recovered he is is through workouts. I think he is more suited for the 3-4 as a hybrid player than to the 4-3.

Some sleepers I like right now (and that doesn't mean they'll be sleepers come draft day):

QB Tyler Palko, Pittsburgh
RB Gary Russell, Minnesota
RB Germaine Race, Pittsburgh St.
WR Syvelle Newton, South Carolina
WR Joel Filani, Texas Tech
WR Brandon Myles, West Virginia
TE Ben Patrick, Delaware
OT James Marten, Boston College
OT Allen Barbre, Missouri Southern St.
OG Andy Alleman, Akron
OG Mike Jones, Iowa
C LeRoy Harris, North Carolina St.
DE Tim Crowder, Texas
DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
DT Stanley Doughtey, South Carolina
LB Anthony Waters, Clemson
LB Justin Durant, Hampton
LB Prescott Burgess, Michigan
CB John Talley, Duke
CB DeAndre Jackson, Iowa State
S J.D. Nelson, Oregon
S Jessie Daniels, L.S.U.

GeauxSaints
01-28-2007, 01:27 PM
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon

By Smith I would assume you are thinking Brian Smith, and yes, I do think we would have a shot of getting him in the 4th Round. I think he is going to last into the second day due to his injury and the only way he can disspell any lingering doubts about how recovered he is is through workouts. I think he is more suited for the 3-4 as a hybrid player than to the 4-3.

Some sleepers I like right now (and that doesn't mean they'll be sleepers come draft day):

TE Ben Patrick, Delaware
OG Andy Alleman, Akron
OG Mike Jones, Iowa
DE Tim Crowder, Texas
DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
CB John Talley, Duke
S J.D. Nelson, Oregon
S Jessie Daniels, L.S.U.

i meant steve smith from your optimistic draft. i agree that Brian Smith will be there on day two. i like Filani, Crowder, Burgess, Talley, and Nelson. i would love to get jessie daniels. Paul Williams is another one that i believe will be a star, although i am not sure that he is a sleeper. Brandon Siler is a quality guy that could drop in the draft. he seems to be the kind of player payton would love - hard working leader.

diabsoule
01-28-2007, 01:33 PM
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon

TE Ben Patrick, Delaware
OG Andy Alleman, Akron
OG Mike Jones, Iowa
DE Tim Crowder, Texas
DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
CB John Talley, Duke
S J.D. Nelson, Oregon
S Jessie Daniels, L.S.U.

i meant steve smith from your optimistic draft. i agree that Brian Smith will be there on day two. i like Filani, Crowder, Burgess, Talley, and Nelson. i would love to get jessie daniels. Paul Williams is another one that i believe will be a star, although i am not sure that he is a sleeper. Brandon Siler is a quality guy that could drop in the draft. he seems to be the kind of player payton would love - hard working leader.

I think we could get Steve Smith in the 4th. Supposedly his stock is falling so I can see him landing to us in the 4th, which I think would be ideal. Paul Williams earned himself a lot of money at the Senior Bowl where he really shined in practice and during the game. Brandon Siler is another guy who saw his stock rise in the National Championship Game and I think that if we have a good shot at him it will be in the 2nd Rd.

GeauxSaints
01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
bump

Saints67
01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
well, it has been reported that Donnie Edwards (LB, Chargers) will be 'let go' this off-season...if so....then we should fully expect the saints to go after him and sign him.

i'm going to make a off-season prediction with my next post (free-agency and draft).

diabsoule
01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
well, it has been reported that Donnie Edwards (LB, Chargers) will be 'let go' this off-season...if so....then we should fully expect the saints to go after him and sign him.

i'm going to make a off-season prediction with my next post (free-agency and draft).

If we sign Donnie Edwards, it would still be as a stop-gap due to his age. I'm torn on whether or not we should go after him, especially due to how much money he's going to want and us needed to re-sign some of our own players and sign some good FA's like Rod Hood & Daniel Graham.

Saints67
01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
2007 Saints-Offseason prediction....

our own free-agents: http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/showteam.asp?Team=Saints

Re-signed/Franchised:
Charles Grant (DE): we will sign him long-term or franchise him at least.
Hollis Thomas (DT: will re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal.
Scott Shanle (LB): will re-sign for a 2-4 deal as a starter or backup.
Jon Stinchcomb (OT): will be given his tender offer or resigned.
Billy Miller (TE): 1-2 year deal as a backup receving TE.
Terrance Copper (WR): will be given his tender.
Terrence Melton (LB): will be given his tender.
Antwan Lake (DT): given a 1 year deal.

I'm still undecided on Bryan Scott (S), and he is a FA cause the Times-Pic listed him as 1.

FREE-AGENCY: i believe we will sign 1 big name/starter and everyone else is depth.

Donnie Edwards (LB, Chargers): we went after him through trade but it didn't work out...now he is ours and a stop gap for 2-3 years.

Jordan Babineaux (CB/S, Seahawks): i'm with the other posters..i want this guy...he will give us some depth and speed at the CB/S...he is a RFA but didn't get drafted...so 0 compensation for the hawks'...hopefully Loomis will throw a kink in the contract so they won't match either.

Al Singleton (LB, Cowboys): Payton/Gibbs knows him (2+years) and he will be depth for us at the LB'er spot...though that doesn't mean he will make the team.

Leander Jordan (OG/OT, Chargers): Hasn't played much but he can play tackle and guard in a pinch...Brees probaly knows him as well.

well sign some other names here and there, but that will be it. the saints will take care of the corner situation in the DRAFT and address other positions that need depth.

DRAFT: Stallworth re-signs with the Eagles and we get a extra 3rd round.

1:Marcus McCauley (CB, Fresno State): He will probaly be the corner that will be avaible to us when we pick at #27 (bad senior bowl, avg senior year). He has great height, good speed, potential and can excel in the system we run. will start opposite McKenzie.

2:Kareem Brown (DT, Miami): Now, this may be a little too early to take him. But this guy can rush the passer, stop the run, is nasty and is powerful. He did pretty well in the senior-bowl. has potential as well. will be a key rotation player as well a starter down the road.

3a:Rhema McKnight (WR, Notre Dame): Well, since the future of Horn is up-in-the air.....we will need depth. Rhema is a big guy, gives it his all, and is a Payton guy (character, smart, productive etc). He will provide us excellent depth at the WR spot with Devery, Terrence, and Jamal Jones.

3b:Clark Harris (TE, Rutgers): Well we have been needing a receving threat at TE for awhile. Harris will provide that for us...he doesn't stretch the field but he moves the chains and has great hands. which is what a TE is in our system.

4a:Tyler Palko (QB, Pitt): Now why would we need a QB? well Jamie Martin is 36 and keeps growing older...thats why. Tyler is basically what Payton looks for in a QB (game manager, mobility, smarts etc). He will be the future backup for Drew.

4b:Jay Moore (DE, Nebraska): Again, why would we need a position that's a strength (Grant, Fresh Prince, and Ninko)? Well Willie Whitehead ain't getting any younger (35, i believe) and sometimes in the season we needed depth at that spot. Josh Cooper did OK but not spectacular. Moore will give us a extra body in that DL rotation. He also can rush the passer. fits the bill of a payton player (smart, hard-worker, blue collar etc). Well keep Whitehead as a reserve for DE/DT and put Cooper on the PS.

5:Juwan Simpson (LB, Alabama): Well with this pick we add depth to the LB'er spot. Even though this player has off-field issues and sorta character problems. It was reported that the Saints scouts were talking/looking at him at the Senior Bowl. He was a productive LB for the Crimson-Tide and could play WLB for us, behind Shanle. He would obviously be a 2nd day pick..so if he gives trouble...well kick you to the curb...see ya.

6:Kevin Payne (S, Louisiana-Monroe): We need depth for S behind starters Harper and Bullocks. all 3 of our back-up S are free-agents. Payne is a Bellamy clone but younger with a little better speed. would be the primary back-up for Harper while our FA signing Babineaux is the back-up behind Bullocks. Payne was all over the place in the senior-bowl and well he played ball in LA, so lets keep him here.

7: Marcus Hamilton (CB, Virginia): Added depth to the CB spot. Was productive at UVA and has lots of experience. Hopefully he can kick Craft off the team. :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so what do you guys think of that?

Sveen
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Can't say I like the Palko-pick. Never been a fan of his.

GeauxSaints
01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
this would be my draft so far

1 Patrick Willis
2 Tanard Jackson
3 Brandon Siler
3 Antonio Johnson
4 Steve Smith
4 trade: CB/S Jordan Babineaux
5 John Talley

maybe a little optimistic.

i dont like resigning miller. he is expendable. we could get someone better than him in the draft, or go after graham for a little more money.

i also dont think we need edwards. he will want a lot of money, and if we spend that kind of money i want it to be for a CB.

Saints Dome Patrol
01-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi. I'm a Saints fan noticed there was a Saints discussion on here so I registered.

Well, as for all the Saints fans on here, I would like say welcome to the forum. We can always use another Saints fan. :D

Here are some of my off season thoughts.
* I think a top priority is determining what happens with Charles Grant. He is an UFA. Personally I would like to get him re-signed because even though he is inconsistent I don't think we will be able to off-set his loss easily. Hopefully he can work out a contract, but if not I hope the Saints will use the franchise tag on him.

* Another big concern is the Joe Horn situation. Will he be back or not? I think his cap number for next season is 5.7 Million, with a base salary of 4.45 million. For a 34 year old(almost 35) wide receiver with injury concerns he just isn't worth it anymore, not at that salary. I know the Saints will probably ask him to restructure but I don't know if Joe will be want to take less money, if that is the case then I think he will be in another uniform next season sadly.

First, in regards to Charles Grant, I think that everyone on here agrees that he is the most important free agent that the Saints have to re-sign in the offseason. Along with Will Smith, the two form a formidable duo on the defensive line. Without Grant, the Saints would be left with Willie Whitehead and Josh Cooper. Not really the best depth at defensive end. Unfortunately, I could see the contract negotiations going south and the Saints having to franchise Grant, not unlike what they had to do with Darren Howard. But hopefully the Saints can sign Grant to an extension for the next few years.

With Joe Horn, I'm not so certain about a.) our willingness to re-sign him or b.) his willingness to redo his deal with the Saints. As a 35-year-old wide receiver with several injury concerns, I'd hope that he would be willing to restructure his current contract in order to help the Saints with their salary cap situation. As much as I'd hate to say this, I think that Horn won't stand for it, since he thinks that he's worth big money, and he'll end up in another team's uniform next season.

the main focus of the off season should be on Defense. I think these are primary needs.
- CB - I'm stating the obvious here, but Fred Thomas just isn't a starting corner in the league, he must have gave up the most receiving touchdowns over 20 yards this season. I think we need a speedy cover corner, who can keep up with WRs downfield. I also think we could use some fresh depth at corner; Craft, Groce, Deloatch might be the most unimpressive group of DBs.

- MLB - Simoneau was a solid veteran for us this year, but I think he was stop gap type player. I really think the Saints need a guy in the middle who can make plays sideline to sideline chasing down backs, someone who can force turnovers and be a game changer.

- DT - I thought Hollis Thomas was a good addition this year and would like him re-signed. Although it would be great to have a disruptor along the D-line a two way defensive tackle who can collapse the pocket pass rushing, and disrupt plays in the backfield. I don't think we'll have a shot at him but I would love to land Amobi Akoye.

Again, restating something that we've all said, defense is and should be the main focus of the Saints offseason. I think we all agree that cornerback is probably the main focus, since both Mike McKenzie and Fred Thomas are on the decline. With linebacker, you and I both agree that while Mark Simoneau did a capable job in the middle this past season, he was more of a stop-gap player and the position can be improved. Lastly, at defensive tackle, the Saints could use a dominant force in the middle, since both Hollis Thomas and Brian Young are mediocre at best.

I agree that with the lack of money under the salary cap, the Saints will be forced to target second-tier targets but there are several decent players that New Orleans could go after. I know diabsoule is fond of both cornerbacks Rod Hood from Philadelphia and Jordan Babineaux from Seattle. Either one would be an improvement for our secondary. Like you already mentioned, none of our corners really strike fear in the hearts of any wide receivers in the NFL.

Right now I'm really liking Patrick Willis, he had 11 tackles in the senior bowl game. I know early on he struggled at the point of attack, but other than those few plays he was generally all over the field.

Here are two videos of him in action which show he has some great abilities as a player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

*the second one in particular should erase some doubts about his sideline-to-sideline ability. He makes an amazing tackle on the Heisman candidate McFadden. Misdirection play, Willis doesn't bite, and then he chases McFadden down in the open field before he can turn the corner. Amazing pursuit.

I could be wrong, but I thought that the pick was dependent on who wins the Super Bowl. If the Colts win, the Saints pick at 29, but if Bears win, the Saints would pick at 30. If that's true (which it might not be), the targets that we're talking about like Patrick Willis, Paul Poslusnzy, Darrelle Revis and Amobi Okoye would probably be gone. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get someone like Marcus McCauley would be available, and someone like him would probably step in and be a starter immediately.

UtepMiner
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought that the pick was dependent on who wins the Super Bowl. If the Colts win, the Saints pick at 29, but if Bears win, the Saints would pick at 30. If that's true (which it might not be), the targets that we're talking about like Patrick Willis, Paul Poslusnzy, Darrelle Revis and Amobi Okoye would probably be gone. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get someone like Marcus McCauley would be available, and someone like him would probably step in and be a starter immediately.
Nah our pick doesn't depend on the Super Bowl outcome, the SB only affects the outcome of the participants Chicago, and Indianapolis. Also San Diego, Baltimore, and New England all finished the regular season with better records than us so they pick after us. Pretty sure Saints are #27 regardless of what happens in the SB.

also what do you guys think of Chris Houston, and David Harris?

http://www.hootens.com/images/stories/2006/2006%20Terry%20Wood/houston.jpg
All-SEC Second Team: Junior CB Chris Houston has spent all season containing some of the best wide receivers in the nation. The junior held USC’s Dwayne Jarrett to his lowest receiving output in 34 games and stifled other standouts including Tennessee’s Robert Meachem, Auburn’s Courtney Taylor and Vanderbilt’s Earl Bennett. Houston has 45 tackles and three interceptions this season. He has also broken up 13 passes.

http://www.mikedesimone.com/m06/centralmichigan/dn16.jpg

Has good size and a thick, solid frame...Had a great senior campaign...Tough and a hard worker...Is smart with good instincts for the game...Reads and reacts well and plays faster than he times...He excels versus the run...Reliable tackler...Has a excellent motor that never stops...Is a field general with outstanding intangibles.

Classic thumper in the middle who might be more of a backup or situational guy at the next level...Only started for two years in college but he saved his best for last and saw his draft stock soar in 2006...The type who isn't going to amaze you with his physical tools but he gets the job done on the field and was a big reason for the Wolverines turnaround this past season...A good, not great, "Mike" prospect.

Houston is a guy that for now is kind of flying under the radar. With this being a weak CB class I see him being just as good as guys like Leon Hall who I personally think are a bit overrated. Providing his stock doesn't soar come draft time I think he'll be around when we pick.

Harris on the other hand, really sounds like a Payton kind of guy. He was impressing people at the Senior Bowl, and if we don't land Willis I would be thrilled to grab him in the 2nd provided he lasts.

diabsoule
01-29-2007, 09:00 PM
I really like Chris Houston. Right now I'm very torn between him and Aaron Ross and which one would be the better CB for us.

I really like David Harris and I think he has "big time" written all over him. If we miss Patrick Willis and Posluszny, then I would like to see us take him.

Btw, I think the biggest needs this offseason are resigning Charles Grant and Hollis Thomas and signing/trading for Daniel Graham, Rod Hood, and Jordan Babineaux. Having TE, DE, CB, and resigning DT would really help our team out for next year.

Damn, I wish I was the Saints GM. I'd be drooling this offseason.

diabsoule
01-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Saints | Franchise receives honor for '06 season
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:01:59 -0800

Sheldon Mickles, of NewOrleansSaints.com, reports for the second consecutive year, the New Orleans Saints have been recognized as the Louisiana Sports Writers Association's Headliner of the Year for their success during the 2006 season. In 2005, the club was honored for their endurance after being chased away from their home by Hurricane Katrina.

Flyboy
01-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I really like Chris Houston.

Good thing I'm not the only one on the Houston to NOLA wagon.

diabsoule
02-01-2007, 08:42 PM
FA starts in about a month. I'm really excited to see what kind of positions the Saints choose to go after.

LSU Man
02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I still want the Saints to go after Lance Briggs because i don't see the point in bringing in Donnie Edwards when we all know he probably only going to play 2 or 3 more years.

Does anyone see us going after Asante Samuels or just drafting a corner?

GeauxSaints
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I still want the Saints to go after Lance Briggs because i don't see the point in bringing in Donnie Edwards when we all know he probably only going to play 2 or 3 more years.

Does anyone see us going after Asante Samuels or just drafting a corner?

we have such a young team, i would like to see us continue to build trough the draft. Honestly, i dont think we need to go after some of these big name, expensive guys. this year proved that we only have a couple of holes (CB, LB, and DT). we should be able to fill those holes with the draft.

UtepMiner
02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I honestly don't think the Bears will let Briggs hit the market. If they can't negotiate a deal, I think they'll franchise him.

I think Samuel will make it to free agency, but we'll have to outbid a bunch of other teams that possibly may have more cap room than us..after we exercise the option on Brees...and possibly re-sign guys like Grant, Shanle, Hollis Thomas.

of course I would really like to land a high profile guy like a Samuel, or Clements, but I'd also be fine with going after the second tier free agents, and continuing to build through the draft. This coaching staff has a done a good job so far of finding players that fit their system.

diabsoule
02-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Here is my updated Saints off-season:
Re-Sign
DE Charles Grant (top priority)
DT Hollis Thomas (top priority)
LB Scott Shanle
LB Danny Clark
TE Billy Miller

Let the other guys walk or re-sign them after the draft.

Free Agent Signings
CB Rod Hood (Philadelphia Eagles)
DT Ian Scott (Chicago Bears)
TE Daniel Graham (New England Patriots)

Trade for:
CB/S Jordan Babineaux (Seattle Seahawks) using a 4th Rounder.

Release:
All other free agents we have except the RFA's. Also release Fred Thomas especially sincing the signing of Hood and trading for Babineaux made him become expendable. Keep only Jason Craft, who can be used in dime situations, and Mike McKenzie as the only corners on the roster.

Draft
1st Round - OLB Paul Posluszny
Reasoning: I think that either him or Patrick Willis are going to fall to us in the the first round. If "Puz" is here then we definately have to draft him. We have shored up our weak secondary fairly well by the signing of Rod Hood and trading for Jordan Babineaux. Shanle will be forced into a backup role while Posluszny teams with Inside Linebacker Danny Clark and Outside Linebacker Scott Fujita to greatly improve our linebacking corps.

2nd Round - CB Aaron Ross
Reasoning: While we have improved our seconday, we complete it with Ross falling to us in the 2nd Rd. A great prospect who is very underrated, Ross slips down to us to give us talented youth and depth at a position that was paper thin last year.

3rd Round - K Mason Crosby
Reasoning: I know it is a bit taboo to take a kicker on the first day but with Carney no longer being a spring chicken, and us having to sign Billy Cundiff last year to handle kickoffs, we draft a guy who can both handle kickoffs and nail the game-winning 50 yard field goal.

4th Round (from K.C.) - TE Ben Patrick
Reasoning: A relative unknown who had a hell of a Senior Bowl. He can do it all and comes from a small school just like Marques Colston and Jahri Evans. He can block and catch the ball and will complete our offense.

4th Round - WR Steve Smith
Reasoning: Joe Horn might not be with the team next year and behind Marques Colston and Devery Henderson we lack true depth. With Smith we get a play maker who is a great possession receiver. He should be able to come in and contribute immediately and I don't know what it is but I see a little bit of Joe Horn in him.

4th Round (from Philly) - ILB Anthony Waters
Reasoning: While Waters was injured last year, I feel he will bounce back very nicely. His combine is what is going to be key in seeing his stock rise. He has a great build, good speed, and had a tremendous junior year. He will complete the rehaul of our LB corps and will be able to learn behind Clark.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
If this is the way our offseason went... I think I'd be so excited that a little pee would come out! :D

Flyboy
02-02-2007, 10:32 PM
If this is the way our offseason went... I think I'd be so excited that a little pee would come out! :D

Indeed, sir. Indeed.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-03-2007, 08:45 AM
I honestly don't think the Bears will let Briggs hit the market. If they can't negotiate a deal, I think they'll franchise him.

I think Samuel will make it to free agency, but we'll have to outbid a bunch of other teams that possibly may have more cap room than us..after we exercise the option on Brees...and possibly re-sign guys like Grant, Shanle, Hollis Thomas.

of course I would really like to land a high profile guy like a Samuel, or Clements, but I'd also be fine with going after the second tier free agents, and continuing to build through the draft. This coaching staff has a done a good job so far of finding players that fit their system.

In regards to people like Lance Briggs or Asante Samuels, I don't think that the Saints will have the money to lure these big name free agents to New Orleans. I'm not saying that we shouldn't go after a few of the bigger name talent out there, but like Auron said, we aren't going to have that much room after paying Drew Brees his money (well deserved) and then re-signing Charles Grant and Hollis Thomas. Scott Shanle, well, he's the wild card of our free agents. If we don't re-sign him, we'd only be left with Alfred Fincher or Terrence Melton as our starting right outside linebacker. Yikes! :shock: If we don't re-sign Shanle, or get a linebacker in free agency, then I think that the Saints' priority would then shift to linebacker first in the Draft come April. Don't get me wrong, cornerback is still a major concern, but the loss of Shanle would cause a domino-type effect in our off-season.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-03-2007, 10:37 AM
[expletive deleted]!!!!

I had written a huge write-up, quoting diabsoule and adding my own opinions... but for some reason, my post was deleted...!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guess I'll have to type it out when I get home, save it to Word or something and post it later...

diabsoule
02-03-2007, 02:46 PM
[expletive deleted]!!!!

I had written a huge write-up, quoting diabsoule and adding my own opinions... but for some reason, my post was deleted...!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guess I'll have to type it out when I get home, save it to Word or something and post it later...

That sucks, dude. I'm sorry.

bearsfan_51
02-03-2007, 03:06 PM
In response to the Briggs comments, you are correct in that we will not let him go without compensation. It would be foolish to do so. All of Angelo's talk about not liking the franchise tag was just a means to divert attention away from Briggs' contract situation and prevent any animosity during the season.

diabsoule
02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
In response to the Briggs comments, you are correct in that we will not let him go without compensation. It would be foolish to do so. All of Angelo's talk about not liking the franchise tag was just a means to divert attention away from Briggs' contract situation and prevent any animosity during the season.

I think so too. I think that you guys would be wise to try and re-sign him or if he is signed to get some kind of compensation for him.

diabsoule
02-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I will be adjusting my Saints mock sometimes real soon. It won't change drastically but it will be tweaked.

Sveen
02-05-2007, 05:58 AM
For those of you wondering I'm pretty sure the Saints has the following picks in the Draft:

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4:
#120 (from KC)
#122 (from PHI) [Could be #91 if Stallworth is re-signed]

Round 5:

Round 6:

Round 7:

Also: It's unknown what compensation the Saints received for Wayne Gandy.

hic57999
02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey, been looking in for awhile, first time posting. I think I got a offseason for us that would be really good.

Offseason:
Sign:
Ben Utecht TE (IND)- Eric Johnson has aloto f injuries and Graham is a better blocker.
Floyd Womack OL (SEA)- I would love to have this guy. Can back-up pretty much all positions.
Boss Bailey LB (DET)- See if he can compete. Probably get him cheap because I think he has a injury history.
Asante Samuel CB (NE)- Asante mainly because I think he will contribute BIG time.

Re-sign:
Charles Grant DE- He is just a good fit here.
Jon Stinchcomb RT- Played well enough to earn a contract
Montrae Holland OG- Mainly for depth, btu if we get Womack not a big need
Hollis Thomas DT- Did a pretty good job for us minus the 4 game suspension

Trade:
Joe Horn WR- Mainly because his cap hit. Still like him though.

Release:
Fred Thomas CB

Draft:
27. Paul Pusluszny LB- A LB who could start right away. He is here at #27 because his knee injury.

58. Chris Houston CB- Fast CB who can play nickel now.

89. Paul Soliai DT- The big DT we want to plug the middle if we don't resign Hollis/ his replacement. Also could be Mason Crosby K

91. (assuming they resign Stallworth) Craig Davis, Johnnie Lee Higgins, or Chansi Stuckey WR- Any of these guys would be fine with me.

120 (Kansas City) Leonard Peters S- His only problem is durability problems. But with a 4th is a gamble.

123. Sam Olajubutu LB- His last two years at Arkansas are worth this pick.

154. Noland Burchette DE- Can be a back-up with Ninkovich

185. Chris Leak- I am not a Florida fan, I am just a HUGE Chris Leak fan. I would love to get him and develop him.

UtepMiner
02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I love the fact we have 5 picks within the top 125 picks. That gives us a lot of options, and flexibility..the coaching staff can have the ammo to trade up a few slots if needed to grab a player they really like (maybe up to 5-7 spots up).

by the way how do you guys feel about us now becoming the pre-season favorites in the media like the Panthers were last year? Man I'm really going to hate it ...I guess I'm just not used to people expecting big things from the Saints. :?

Saints Dome Patrol
02-06-2007, 01:35 AM
ESPN's Bottom Line on this morning's SportsCenter is reporting that Saints offensive assistant and passing game coordinator John Morton has taken the same position at the University of Southern California.

I hope that Coach Payton finds a capable replacement, since our passing game was excellent this past season. I don't know how much of that was due to coaching, but I'm sure that some of it was.

bearsfan_51
02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor that you guys might be franchising Fred Thomas?

diabsoule
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM

I hope to God that there isn't. I haven't heard anything about it.

bearsfan_51
02-06-2007, 01:16 PM

I hope to God that there isn't. I haven't heard anything about it.
:lol: I'm just kidding dude. That would cost like 11 million dollars.

UtepMiner
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah...I think Freddy's still under contract as of now. :?

making him one of the highest paid corners in the league would be unfathomable.

(i think he will be cut this off-season)

Flyboy
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Scott Shanle has re-signed.

diabsoule
02-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Link?

diabsoule
02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Endymion to feature a 'Saints float' this year

01:08 PM CST on Wednesday, February 7, 2007
WWLTV.com

Not be outdone by the Krewe of Bacchus, which has Saints quarterback Drew Brees riding as Grand Marshal, but the superkrewe of Endymion announced Wednesday it would have a number of players riding on a designated ‘Saints float’ this year.

According to Ed Muniz, Captain of Endymion, the float will be named “Endymion Celebrates the Saints.” Wide receiver Joe Horn, linebacker Scott Fujita, defensive end Will Smith, center Jeff Faine, special teams player Steve Gleason and offensive lineman Jamar Nesbit were said to be riding on the float.

Endymion rolls Saturday, the weekend before Fat Tuesday.

And Saints head coach Sean Payton will ride as the celebrity guest for Orpheus, which rolls on Lundi Gras night.

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/saints/stories/wwl020707khfloat.5deded30.html

UtepMiner
02-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I'll wait until I see the contract details but I think so far so good.

Shanle was more of a playmaker than Simoneau, and I thought he did a good job in his role.

Now we need to round out the LB corps by adding London Fletcher-Baker, Donnie Edwards, or Patrick Willis in the middle.

diabsoule
02-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I'll wait until I see the contract details but I think so far so good.

Shanle was more of a playmaker than Simoneau, and I thought he did a good job in his role.

Now we need to round out the LB corps by adding London Fletcher-Baker, Donnie Edwards, or Patrick Willis in the middle.

I know a good deal of Saints fans really like Donnie Edwards and London Fletcher-Baker, but the truth of the matter is that we need a young playmaker in the middle not an old stop-gap player like those two are. Both of the players you mentioned, minus Patrick Willis, are just like Simoneau in the fact that they will be stopgap type players who will only contribute for a few more years. A guy like Kawika Mitchell from Kansas City or drafting someone like Patrick Willis will give us the playmaker in the middle that we've needed for years, and we will be able to keep them around longer than 2 years.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-08-2007, 01:15 AM
According to the Times-Picayune, Saints quarterbacks coach Pete Carmichael, Jr. has declined an offer from the Miami Dolphins to become their offensive coordinator.

This is outstanding news that he has the loyalty to the Saints (unlike that other guy...John Morton) and wants to continue to improve on the already potent passing game.

UtepMiner
02-08-2007, 08:46 AM
know a good deal of Saints fans really like Donnie Edwards and London Fletcher-Baker, but the truth of the matter is that we need a young playmaker in the middle not an old stop-gap player like those two are. Both of the players you mentioned, minus Patrick Willis, are just like Simoneau in the fact that they will be stopgap type players who will only contribute for a few more years. A guy like Kawika Mitchell from Kansas City or drafting someone like Patrick Willis will give us the playmaker in the middle that we've needed for years, and we will be able to keep them around longer than 2 years.
I agree we need to draft youth at LB (and also CB) but I wouldn't mind signing Baker, or Edwards either only because they would be an immediate upgrade and would be able to contriubute right away.

diabsoule
02-09-2007, 09:46 AM
know a good deal of Saints fans really like Donnie Edwards and London Fletcher-Baker, but the truth of the matter is that we need a young playmaker in the middle not an old stop-gap player like those two are. Both of the players you mentioned, minus Patrick Willis, are just like Simoneau in the fact that they will be stopgap type players who will only contribute for a few more years. A guy like Kawika Mitchell from Kansas City or drafting someone like Patrick Willis will give us the playmaker in the middle that we've needed for years, and we will be able to keep them around longer than 2 years.
I agree we need to draft youth at LB (and also CB) but I wouldn't mind signing Baker, or Edwards either only because they would be an immediate upgrade and would be able to contriubute right away.

I don't want Edwards or Baker because of the age of them both. The player we need to look into is Kawika Mitchell of Kansas city. He's only been in the league for four years and has had over 100 tackles in each of the past two seasons. If we land Mitchell then we no longer have to draft a MLB, or if we do then it will be a late round priority, and then we could concentrate on other areas of need.

Saints67
02-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Shanle, has officially re-signed....

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3326

for 4 years...also looks like we got the WLB spot locked up.

on to the MLB/CB, please. :lol:

Saints Dome Patrol
02-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Shanle, has officially re-signed....

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3326

for 4 years...also looks like we got the WLB spot locked up.

on to the MLB/CB, please. :lol:

Yeah, I was going to post this... but you got to the table first... :razz:

Other Saints news from the Times-Picayune...

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1171091070178990.xml&coll=1

UtepMiner
02-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Drew Brees dislocated his left elbow during the Pro-Bowl. :cry:

atleast he has a whole off season to heal, and it was his non throwing arm.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Drew Brees dislocated his left elbow during the Pro-Bowl. :cry:

atleast he has a whole off season to heal, and it was his non throwing arm.

[expletive deleted]! :evil: :evil:

I think it shows great loyalty to both the fans and his team when you play in a game that is meaningless for the record and all, but this is the risk you run.

Hopefully, he can get back to playing shape soon and very soon.

bucknut12
02-10-2007, 10:56 PM
New here to the forums.

Brees elbow will be ok.

Out for 2 months.

Thank god it isn't his throwing arm

diabsoule
02-10-2007, 11:48 PM
New here to the forums.

Brees elbow will be ok.

Out for 2 months.

How ya doing? We're both Saintsrevolution.

bucknut12
02-10-2007, 11:52 PM
New here to the forums.

Brees elbow will be ok.

Out for 2 months.

How ya doing? We're both Saintsrevolution.I'm good.

I remember ya, don't worry.

:D

Flyboy
02-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Screw the damn Pro Bowl.

diabsoule
02-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Screw the damn Pro Bowl.

Yeah, I don't think they should play the game anymore. Just give the players the honor of being Pro-Bowlers but the game is pointless.

diabsoule
02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
So, guys, which positions in FA do you think we need to go after? Anyone specific?

UtepMiner
02-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Your sig pretty much covers it. CB, MLB, DT..I think pretty much in that order.

Depends on if lose Grant, Stinchcomb, we might have to find a DE, OL..

I read somewhere that Grant may be close to an agreement for a contract. I guess we'll see soon.

Sveen
02-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Our biggest needs obviously are CB, ILB, DT and maybe a TE. Hopefully we can get some good players at those positions in FA and the Draft.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Two words...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/01/17/gallery.bestcfbplayers/WILLIS.jpg

Patrick. Willis.

Any guy who can play with a broken hand and still lead his team with 137 tackles and win the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and the Butkus Award...he's my number one target for the Saints in the Draft come April.

bucknut12
02-13-2007, 09:51 AM
As far as needs i'd actually put it like this.

ILB-We need a run stuffer.

DT-Pressure on the QB always makes CB's better than they really are.

CB-We just need someone who doesn't fall for every double move.