PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Flyboy
04-26-2007, 10:23 PM
With the way Loomis front-loaded that contract, I just don't see how they could match it personally. Maybe it's just talk, but we'll see.

TigerBait45
04-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Thats the word around town, anyway. I don't really expect him to be a Colt either.

Auron
04-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Trying to find exact details. I do believe that it could just be posturing by the Colts to wait it out to the last minute.

With the way the deal is structured I see it very difficult for them to match with their cap situation right now.

Auron
04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Well for anyone concerned, the Colts official website has David listed as a Saint now in this article (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=4784).

DAVID DEPARTS
Jason David, a fourth-round selection by the Colts in the 2004 NFL Draft and a starter the past three seasons, officially became a member of the New Orleans Saints Thursday afternoon when the Colts did not match an offer made by New Orleans last week.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Gentlemen, we are less than a day away... can you feel it?

GermanSaint
05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
do somebody have a good link , or could post some wallpapers of the saints ( not the official website ) or robert meachen/the other rookies ?

Auron
05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
A few I found browsing different forums, don't know if anyone has made a Meachem one yet.

Saints Wallpaper (http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4716/saintspoloroidwalllx6.jpg)

Dome Wallpaper (http://saintsreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=590&d=1164672249)

Saintsreport has a wallpaper forum (http://saintsreport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32).

Auron
05-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Here is my Saints Off-Season Review write up. (it's a long read but pretty in depth)

Saints Off-Season Review

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6651/saintsoffseason2rs3.png

This off-season Saints head coach Sean Payton faced the difficult task of trying to improve a team that went to the NFC Championship game. In order to make the move to the next level the Saints need to become a consistently contending team of Super Bowl caliber, which is no easy task but with the 2006 Coach of the year Payton, and Executive of the year GM Mickey Loomis the Saints should be in good hands. How exactly would Payton, and Loomis approach the off-season? Let’s summarize their moves to date.

The first priority for Payton and company was to keep the team structure intact, by re-signing almost all of the Saints own free agents, something that a lot of good teams manage to do. Charles Grant (DE), Scott Shanle (OLB), Hollis Thomas (DT), Billy Miller (TE), Jon Stinchcomb (OT), Terrance Copper (WR), Jay Bellamy (S), Rodney Leisle (DT), Antwan Lake (DT), Dejuan Groce (CB) were all re-signed.. Now most of these players are not exactly the Cornerstones of the franchise, however they were key contributors that were solid role players on a team that went to the NFC Championship game. Because of this the Saints ensure continuity, chemistry, and maintain the stability of their franchise by avoiding major roster turnover, and also avoided creating new holes on their team. They will return 20 of 22 opening day starters, and the entire coaching staff from last season.

Now of course the Saints didn’t stop there they needed to continue adding talent, and experience to the solid base they had established this year. The first outside Free agent signing was Linebacker, Brian Simmons from the Bengals. Simmons is a 10 year veteran who is expected to take over for Mark Simoneau at the MLB spot. Simmons is Defensive leader who leads by example with his hard work ethic, he not only adds experience and veteran leadership but a good locker room presence. The Saints then added Tight End, Eric Johnson who previously played with the 49ers. If Johnson stays healthy he brings a legitimate receiving threat to work the middle of the field from an inline position, and gives QB Drew Brees a possible safety valve on passing downs. Another notable Defensive signing was the addition of former Bengals safety Kevin Kaesviharn. He is expected to push the current safeties, and be the 3rd safety. Kaesviharn is a solid coverage presence and has a knack for being around the ball (finished with 6 interceptions last season more than any Saints Defensive back) he should provide great depth and insurance for SS, Roman Harper who is coming off of a torn ACL.

The Saints first trade of the off-season was sending over a 6th round pick for Dolphins kicker Olindo Mare. Mare is an experienced kicker with a booming leg, he led the league in Touchbacks last year with 24.The acquisition of Mare will definitely help the Saints by limiting opposing teams field position on kickoffs, and will save an extra roster spot. Wanting to add a veteran presence to a young WR corps. the Saints signed David Patten an experienced veteran receiver who won 3 SB rings with the Patriots. He might only be a situational player, however his experience will definitely aid in mentoring the younger receivers on the roster.

Possibly the Saints biggest moves came 1 week before the Draft where they managed to address the biggest need on the team, and lock up a top Defensive player on their. Defensive End, Charles Grant was re-signed for 7 years/63 million. The Saints did overspend on Grant but what they did was needed to lock up an important player on their Defense. The next biggest move was acquiring Cornerback, Jason David a Restricted Free Agent from the Colts for a 4th round pick. This was a great move as the Saints acquired a possible starting CB for only a 4th round selection which they had 3 of. David at 24 years old is still very young and has the quickness, and deep speed to play to mirror Wrs down the field. (4.4 forty speed, and 3.93 short shuttle)

With the Saints moves in Free agency it allowed them great flexibility in the Draft to simply take the best available talents. With the 27th pick in the NFL Draft the Saints selected WR, Robert Meachem from Tennessee. This pick initially surprised most people, as they expected a Defensive player. However Meachem was graded out as the best available player on the Saints board. Meachem could possibly step in as the Saints #2 WR, and with his quickness, and deep speed could be an excellent compliment opposite of Marques Colston. In the 3rd round the Saints picked up two small school prospects. Kent State CB, Usama Young, and Akron OG, Andy Alleman. Young might have been considered a reach at that spot but he is a smart, athletic player. A 4 year starter who was quickly rising up Draft boards after a stellar pro day impressing scouts. Young should atleast be able to push for a Nickel, Dime role in the Defense as he develops. Alleman is a quick, athletic linemen who moves well in space and perfectly fits the Saints blocking scheme. He should be able to push current LG Jamar Nesbit.

On Day 2 the Saints surprised most by trading up for Ohio St. Running Back, Antonio Pittman. After a while to digest the move it makes sense. Pittman was clearly a great talent, and value in the 4th round and should provide excellent depth at the RB spot as insurance against possible injuries to a grueling position. The Saints followed that pick up by selecting Jermon Bushrod, OT from Townson. Bushrod is a raw but promising tackle prospect who should provide solid depth at Tackle, and possibly at Guard as well. Another small school CB, David Jones from Wingate was selected. Jones is another athletic specimen, with great ball skills intercepting 15 passes in his college career, he also has return potential. In the 7th round the Saints closed up the Draft by selecting Marvin Mitchell, ILB Tennessee. Mitchell a is a powerful, run stuffing LB who may be able to push for a reserve LB spot. The Saints also brought in a slew of intriguing Undrafted FA’s some of which include Tyler Palko, Wade Koehl, Jake Kuresa, Rhema McKnight, Pat MacDonald, Peter Dyakowski, Walter Thomas, Joe Porter, Keith Greer, Brett Bergstrom.

Overall many where underwhelmed by the Saints Draft, however given time I believe it can turn out to be a solid class. I thought the Saints did a great job of adding Offensive Line depth, adding athletic young Corners a position that has needed youth for a while, and building overall depth..We may not be able to see the contributions from this Draft Class immediately as most of the players will most likely be developed through fundamentally sound coaching. However they have very good potential and I trust the Saints coaching staff the same guys who prepared Marques Colston from Hofsta, and Jahri Evans from Bloomsburg to come in and become starters last season.

The only considerable losses in the form of starters were WR, Joe Horn, and TE Ernie Conwell. Both of these players were plagued by injuries last season, and were aging. Conwell played in only 7 games last season and finished the year on IR, while Horn struggled with a groin injury most of the season missing 6 games, and the entire playoffs. There is no doubt the team will miss the emotional leadership, and veteran poise that Horn a fan favorite for many years brought to the team. However you have to keep in mind that Horn is now 35 years old, and has seen his production drop through out the past few seasons as he has started to lose a step in his stride, and he did not see eye to eye with the new coaching staff. The other Saints losses include. Omar Stoutmire. Danny Clark. Terrence Melton. Curtis Deloatch. Bryan Scott, Montrae Holland, Mitch Berger and John Carney. Most of these players were backups and special teams players.

In closing I thought the Saints did a great job of adding veteran contributors, young talent, and keeping their own players. While minimizing crucial losses. No they didn’t land the premier big money Free agents like a Nate Clements, or an Adalius Thomas, and they didn’t Draft many high profile hot prospects. What they did was continue to build to their team structure that Sean Payton established, by adding high character, hard working, motivated, experienced players that will help the team win.

steelersfan43
05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Yay for the saints!!,

I picked you guys in my madden league, yay for drew breeze!!

Flyboy
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
That was a fantastic write-up, Auron. Great job, sir.

Auron
05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
That was a fantastic write-up, Auron. Great job, sir.
Thanks for reading sir.

Completed the Saints post Draft off-season tracker. (trying to find a complete list of UDFAs)

Saints Off-Season
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/images/sectionbanner/img_header_news.jpg

Transactions
Re-signed (OLB) Scott Shanle. 4 yr/12 mil
Re-signed(DE) Charles Grant. 7 yr/63 mil
Re-signed (DT) Hollis Thomas. 4 yr/12 mil
Re-signed (TE) Billy Miller. 1 yr
Re-signed (OT) Jonathan Stinchcomb. 2 yr/7 mil
Tendered RFA's (WR) T. Copper & (DT) R. Leisle. 1 yr
Signed (LB) Brian Simmons (Bengals). 3 yr
Signed (TE) Eric Johnson (49ers). 1yr/2 mil
Signed (S) Kevin Kaesviharn (Bengals).
Re-signed (CB) Dejuan Groce.
Re-signed (WR) Terrance Copper.
Re-signed (S) Jay Bellamy.

Re-signed (DT) Rodney Leisle
Re-signed (DT) Antwan Lake.
Signed (WR) David Patten. (Redskins)
Signed (LB) Troy Evans. (Texans)
Signed (LB) Trev Faulk. (Rams)
Signed (CB) RFA, Jason David (Colts)

Trades
Acquired (K) Olindo Mare from Miami for a 6th round pick.

Releases & Departures
Released (TE) Ernie Conwell.
Released (WR) Joe Horn. (Falcons)
Released (K) John Carney.
Released (P) Mitch Berger

(S) Omar Stoutmire. (Redskins)
(LB) Danny Clark. (Texans)
(LB) Terrence Melton. (Panthers)
(CB) Curtis Deloatch. (Panthers)
(S) Bryan Scott. (Titans)
(OG) Montrae Holland (Broncos)

Draft
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/429/2007saintsdraftvq1.png

terribletowel39
05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
i read that yall signed Walter Thomas. the big guy that I brought up a couple of pages back. any truth to this??

Auron
05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
i read that yall signed Walter Thomas. the big guy that I brought up a couple of pages back. any truth to this??

Yes, it was reported in the UDFA thread.

terribletowel39
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Yes, it was reported in the UDFA thread.
thats greatness. i think he could be awesome, especially with the other big boy Thomas helping him learn everything.

Flyboy
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
thats greatness. i think he could be awesome, especially with the other big boy Thomas helping him learn everything.

Yeah, Walter Thomas can either be a boom player for us or nothing at all. If he doesn't pan out then oh well.. he's just a UDFA, but if he can step up and man the DT position alongside Hollis Thomas... then that would be fantastic. We'll see come training camp.

diabsoule
05-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I really liked the Walter Thomas selection. Hopefully he works out for us because that'd be a huge help.

diabsoule
05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
So far, how do you grade out the Saints draft as well as UDFA signings?

novembrefluo
05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
A-

Tyler Palko can be a good back up and I really like him
Rhema McNight is really a good WR but it'll be hard for him with Colston, Meachem, Henderson, ...
And I love Walter Thomas, and I really think that he can be a starter this year.

the rest I don't know, I don't think the RB and the S will be there in September but we'll see ...

terribletowel39
05-11-2007, 10:46 AM
A-

Tyler Palko can be a good back up and I really like him
Rhema McNight is really a good WR but it'll be hard for him with Colston, Meachem, Henderson, ...
And I love Walter Thomas, and I really think that he can be a starter this year.

the rest I don't know, I don't think the RB and the S will be there in September but we'll see ...
don't forget Bush in the WR list. he lines up in slot a lot.

i give the Saints B grade. i love the signing of Meachem, i hope he can play to his full potential eventually. he could be a great compliment to Colston.

it looks like Peyton for big physical corners with Young and Jones. I don't know how i feel about the Pittman pick but i guess it does give Peyton another weapon. just thing if Pittman and Bush are in the backfield. that would kinda be scary.

i love the Walter Thomas pick up. i think he can be a gigantic run stuffer and premier pass rusher from the middle. he is as agile as guys 80-100lbs lighter than him and strong as an ox.

TigerBait45
05-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah, Walter Thomas really intrigues me. I don't think he'll start this year, but give him two or three years as a project and he could be really good. You almost never see a guy that big with that much athleticism.

Young and Jones are both project CB's too (well maybe not Young so much but I think he'll need some work before he sees the field). David Jones was a ballhawk in college, but he played at Wingate so you never know how that translates to the NFL.

If he lives up to potential he'll be good but otherwise I see him as a career backup, maybe situational player.

Auron
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I haven't been able to post in a while because I've been really sick the past few days.

Haven't really evaluated the Draft in detail quite yet, I'm hesitant to give out a grade before we see the prospects on the field but if I had to right now I'd say it would be in the solid B range, definitely could and should change by years end.

I believe that the Saints Rookie Mini-Camps start tomorrow May, 12th. Pretty sure they're closed to the public.

terribletowel39
05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
but they are probably aired on NFLN. some of it atleast.

i retract my statement then. didn't know it was closed to media. it NFLN considered media when talking about football.

Flyboy
05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Haven't really evaluated the Draft in detail quite yet, I'm hesitant to give out a grade before we see the prospects on the field but if I had to right now I'd say it would be in the solid B range, definitely could and should change by years end.

I believe that the Saints Rookie Mini-Camps start tomorrow May, 12th. Pretty sure they're closed to the public.

Yeah, me too. I liked it, though... but I'm not going to quick to give out grades.

And, I'm MAD excited to get some reports about our minicamp... can't wait. Closed to the public AND media, though.

terribletowel39
05-11-2007, 06:55 PM
did a falcons fan actually create the Official Saint Draft Discussion thread??

Auron
05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
did a falcons fan actually create the Official Saint Draft Discussion thread??
Actually that was when the board was changing over, and our user names got messed up temporarily.

Was just wondering are you a Steelers fan who follows the Saints a bit, or a fan of both teams like Diab?

terribletowel39
05-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Actually that was when the board was changing over, and our user names got messed up temporarily.

Was just wondering are you a Steelers fan who follows the Saints a bit, or a fan of both teams like Diab?
i am a fan of both teams more so the steelers. black and gold north/south. i grew up in louisiana, my mom is a die hard Saints fan and i love the state and so i will always be a fan of the Saints, just not as much as the Steelers. like Diab is Saints first then Steelers, well I am the other way around.

Auron
05-11-2007, 09:10 PM
I see, that's cool. I can't wait for the early Mini camp reports tomorrow.

Flyboy
05-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Walter Thomas was cut today.

504 to ATL
05-13-2007, 12:27 AM
there goes everyones immediate hopes that he would step in right away and contribute, granted he might be back on the roster sometime you never know.

But heres to the player garnering the most hype/chatter around every message board, be it for good or negative reasons.

Caddy
05-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Walter Thomas was cut today.

I heard he lasted 9 minutes in mini-camp. If so, he can all but kiss his NFL career good bye.

Auron
05-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Some Photos from Mini Camp. Article (http://neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3448).

(in order from left to right - Robert Meachem, Usama Young, Antonio Pittman, Andy Alleman, Jermon Bushrod, Tyler Palko ) there's a few more pics in the gallery.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4743/saintsminicampphotoskw6.png

also on Walter Thomas, has it been confirmed that he's been officially released? I heard he couldn't make it through conditioning drills and was just sent home.

TigerBait45
05-13-2007, 02:58 PM
With Payton coaching it wouldn't surprise me if he flat out cut him. He probably had him on a short leash to begin with because of all the character issues.

The fact that he even brought him in shocked me.

I'm kinda hoping he didn't get cut though. The man has unreal potential.

Flyboy
05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it's confirmed. Said Thomas only lasted 12 minutes. There are also reports at SaintsReport.com that Meachem might have an ankle injury of some kind.

Auron
05-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Looks like Meachem indeed suffered an ankle injury. WWL Report (http://www.wwl.com/pages/451662.php?contentType=4&contentId=495478)

“Yesterday it didn’t go as well as I wanted it to go as far as fatigue I would say. I’m doing well in spurts, I figure once I get in better shape I can show coaches what I can do.” Meachem by his own admission has been hurt in the workouts by how out of shape he is as he’s dropped passes and struggled to leave a good impression on head coach Sean Payton.

“He struggled some. He’s had some blister issues with his feet. He’s overweight,” Payton said following Sunday morning’s practice. “He tweaked his ankle in the morning practice so it hadn’t been all rosy for him. You know he’s been on that first round tour these guys go on where they visit all these teams and eat a lot of fun dinners and it looks like it. He’s got a ways to go”
Rookies do have a tendency to go at it a bit too hard during these camps to make a good impression. I'm not too worried he'll get back into shape fast. Colston struggled during rookie camps last year.

Shame about Walter Thomas, can't say I'm too surprised I was skeptical to begin with considering how long he had been out of football for.

Flyboy
05-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Goddamnit, Auron, I was just about to post that. :)

Auron
05-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Goddamnit, Auron, I was just about to post that. :)

I might have to cut back on the info whoring, let some other Saints fans break the news. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Another cool part from the article.
Meachem says he has received some words of advice from receiver Marques Colston. “He told me that he probably got in his best shape during OTAs, and, for me, I’m going to try and get in my best shape during OTAs as well.”

The ankle injury shouldn’t keep the Saints first round pick from participating in June’s team mini camp.
Glad to hear about Colston offering words of advice to a teammate, I think he'll step into a leadership role more now that Joe's gone.

Flyboy
05-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I actually heard that Curtis Johnson has said that Colston is the leader of the WR corps.

Auron
05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Not surprised to hear that.

Sporting News: Saints Team Report (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=207124). Amazing to hear about Drew's relentless work ethic, he's doing full time workouts to improve core strength. Sounds like he's going to do whatever it takes to get this team to the next level.

SCOUTING REPORT: QB Drew Brees said he is more than 90 percent healed after dislocating his left, nonthrowing elbow in the Pro Bowl. But he said the only reason he's not listing himself at 100 percent is because he knows he can get even stronger. Brees has said he is doing everything he normally would in May, as far as conditioning and lifting and throwing. And with the rehab work on his left arm, he expects it to be even stronger than it was before -- similar to the way he seemed to develop a bionic right arm after major shoulder surgery last offseason. Brees should only be better in his second season with the Saints and in coach Sean Payton's offense. That's hard to imagine after he finished second in the MVP voting a year ago. But Brees is a tireless worker who strives for greatness, and he is right in the middle of his prime.

----
Also a tid bit of info from Training Camp. Article (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070513/UPDATES02/70513022) Sounds like Usama Young is really impressing.

Of the seven players drafted by the New Orleans Saints, coach Sean Payton said it would be hard to pick one that is performing better than cornerback Usama Young.

Taken in the third round out of Kent State, Young has a physical presence at 6-0, 198 and has impressed with his speed and ability to break on the ball.

“The first impression is important, and Usama’s a guy that’s certainly made one,” Payton said. “He has our attention.”

Payton also added that David Jones, another cornerback selected in the fifth round out of Division II Wingate (N.C.), has also performed well.

“I’ve really been pleased with both those young corners,” Payton said. “Those guys are showing they can play.”

There’s a growing belief that both Young and Jones have great opportunities to make the team and that 12-year veteran Fred Thomas’ days with the club may be short.

“I’m not worrying about any other player – I’m focused on myself,” Young said. “I hope the coaches think I’m doing well, but I can’t say I feel that. I’m doing OK, but I have a long ways to go. The level of competition (at mini-camp) is high, and we haven’t even gotten the veterans in here yet.”
LOOK FOR CONTINUING COVERAGE OF THE SAINTS ROOKIE MINI-CAMP IN THE MONDAY PRINT AND ONLINE EDITIONS OF THE NEWS-STAR.

TigerBait45
05-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Ah well, I guess he was worth looking at.

If Usama Young plays up to his measureables he could be a stud; I feel the same about David Jones. Jones is a bit more of a project than Young but they both have immense physical ability.

Auron
05-14-2007, 06:03 AM
A couple of Highlight vids to get you through the long off-season days. These were made by Mattgobear on SaintsReport.com.

Reggie Bush Highlight Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMyBx8Sztg)

Marques Colston Highlight Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qkggU-HAs8)

pretty scary to think that these guys were only rookies last year and are still improving.

Auron
05-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Well I finally created my very first Highlight video, it's a bit short but I guess it's not bad for a first. It's a Drew Brees HL vid.

Highlight Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_r4qd0hBlk)

Feedback would be much appreciated, thanks. :)

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Well I finally created my very first Highlight video, it's a bit short but I guess it's not bad for a first. It's a Drew Brees HL vid.

Highlight Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_r4qd0hBlk)

Feedback would be much appreciated, thanks. :)

Nice, it could double as a Devery Henderson highlight video. Devery's the man! That got me really excited about the upcoming season.

Auron
05-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Nice, it could double as a Devery Henderson highlight video. Devery's the man! That got me really excited about the upcoming season.

Yeah most of the longer yardage passes were to Devery. I could've added a few more clips like the Hail Mary TD, and a few others but I didn't have many good soundtrack options.

Saints Dome Patrol
05-17-2007, 12:24 AM
There’s a growing belief that both Young and Jones have great opportunities to make the team and that 12-year veteran Fred Thomas’ days with the club may be short.

I'm sure this makes all Saints fans happy...

novembrefluo
05-17-2007, 04:21 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...obsession.html

I love to read that kind of article :rolleyes:

Flyboy
05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm sure this makes all Saints fans happy...

A bit, I guess. If anything he can still contribute as a nickelback for a year.

Auron
05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
According to the Saints (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/playerbio.cfm?playerid=444) official Website. Robert Meachem changed his number to 17.

---
Also a quick article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-05-17-training-season_N.htm?csp=34) on Reggie Bush, and Drew Brees' training regimen.

"The month of May is when you get your head back on for football," says Durkin, who just opened a new, 5,000-square-foot facility. "Drew and L.T. are starting to train head-wise for what it's going to take to get to the Super Bowl and win a championship.
"L.T. wants to prove he can have the same kind of season again. He's been working as hard as ever."

Though Bush is trying a new regimen near his Los Angeles home, Durkin expects Brees and Bush to work and throw together with him next month.
"I talked to Drew, and we're going to go pretty much every day in June, July," Durkin says. "A lot of guys take the month of July off. The true champions, Drew and L.T., are ramping up at a time some guys are coasting in."

Auron
05-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Finished my latest HL video. It's of Will Smith. Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WODny0-fPoI)

I might be getting the hang of this, I'm thinking the next one is going to be Deuce McAllister.

Flyboy
05-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Auron, you are a f'n beast. You should be Team Leader before long, dude.

Auron
05-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Auron, you are a f'n beast. You should be Team Leader before long, dude.

Lol, I try.

Now I'm going to crash for like 10 hours straight been up for a while. I have tomorrow off atleast. :)

504 to ATL
05-18-2007, 11:43 PM
In a drill to enhance his cutback agility, Bush jumps from a Launchpad tracking in one direction and executes a 180-degree spin before landing on another Launchpad moving in a different direction. Clarke will bump Bush while in flight, causing Bush to somersault from pad to pad, challenging his ability to land catlike … or else be launched from the Launchpad.

Um I didnt think cutback agility could get any better than where Reggie's is already at? Now that is just SCAAAAAAAARY.

Flyboy
05-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Now, he just has to focus on going north & south as well.

TigerBait45
05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I think that comes with experience. He was so used to being able to run wherever he wanted to in college because he was so much faster. When you're that explosive it takes a while to get used to the style of the NFL.

Flyboy
05-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Eh, I love Reggie but I don't believe all of that. Jones-Drew & Maroney did just fine as north-south runners in their rookie seasons.

Auron
05-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Finished the Deuce McAllister Highlight Vid I said I would make. Deuce HL Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tKsg73auI)

You'll have to excuse the last :15 seconds or so don't have any audio, I suck at finding good music. :(

Flyboy
05-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Watching that video and knowing that Deuce was playing just coming off major surgery and still was able to produce like that only makes me hope that he can reconstruct his contract. *prays*

diabsoule
05-20-2007, 02:51 AM
His running style is the reason why he's my favorite Saints player.

Auron
05-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah with another year removed from the injury he should have full confidence in the knee, and some extra burst back in his step.

I think every Saints fan wants him to retire a Saint, if he can't I hope he's around here at least for 2 more seasons until Reggie is ready for a full time role.

terribletowel39
05-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Finished the Deuce McAllister Highlight Vid I said I would make. Deuce HL Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tKsg73auI)

You'll have to excuse the last :15 seconds or so don't have any audio, I suck at finding good music. :(

just for future reference, I'm about to break by Linkin Park is one of the best songs to put on a RB HL video.

Saints Dome Patrol
05-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Yeah with another year removed from the injury he should have full confidence in the knee, and some extra burst back in his step.

I think every Saints fan wants him to retire a Saint, if he can't I hope he's around here at least for 2 more seasons until Reggie is ready for a full time role.

Sad thing is, and maybe I'm the only one, but I think that the Saints moving up to take Antonio Pittman in the fourth round, doesn't really bode well for Deuce and his future with this franchise. I realize that this year, Pittman will be the new Aaron Stecker; the traditional third-down, change of pace back, but we'll have to see how long he stays in the role before getting unhappy. My guess is, we'll be talking about the backfield of Bush and Pittman in a couple of years.

Auron
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Terribletowel, I will keep it in mind for the future.

Regarding Deuce's future, I think it'll be at least 2 more seasons before we worry about the salary cap ramification of having 2 highly paid backs. Pittman will probably be groomed to be the compliment for Reggie in the future, but right now he's not much of a threat to take any time away from Deuce, his most likely situation is taking over for Stecker who was fairly unimpressive last season.

---
Also new Saints team report on Foxsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67055&type=InsideSlant).

So far just shorts, and helmets but Alleman and Bushrod left good first impressions at camp. Like Bushrod's attitude he seems eager to learn from veterans.

Inside Slant
The Saints' coaching staff recently got their first extended look at the players they drafted last month and liked what they saw, especially from a couple of players who project as backups on the offensive line.

Guard Andy Alleman, one of their two third-round picks, and tackle Jermon Bushrod, the second of two fourth-round selections, made an impression on the staff during a three-day rookie minicamp.

Making a good first impression is not a bad thing considering the Saints are seeking some competition in their upcoming Organized Team Activities and training camp, for backup positions along the line.

The Saints went into the draft looking for depth at both guard and tackle and they're hoping Alleman and Bushrod fit the bill so they can be groomed for the future, along with tackle Zach Strief, a seventh-round draft pick a year ago.

"They looked comfortable," Saints coach Sean Payton said of Alleman and Bushrod. "It's a little bit harder with those guys (linemen) because we're in jerseys and helmets. So once we get the pads on and get into training camp, you'll get a better evaluation."

The Saints were enthused abut getting Alleman, who will get a shot to back up starter Jamar Nesbit at left guard, at the bottom of the third round. The 6-foot-4, 302-pounder is an athletic player who began his career at defensive end before making the switch to the other side of the line when he transferred to Akron.

"Alleman's done a good job early on," Payton said. "Those guys are swimming in there, because were giving the linemen a lot of offense and they're getting a lot of defensive fronts. He's handled it well, and he's done a good job of picking up everything we're giving him."

Bushrod, a product of Division I-AA Towson State, has the ability to play numerous positions along the line. But the Saints plan to keep the 6-5, 315-pounder at tackle so he can learn the ropes from starters Jammal Brown and Jon Stinchcomb.

"I'm just trying to soak everything up," Bushrod said. "You have to go into it aggressively. If not, you'll be dominated in this league. And that's play-in and play-out. Sometimes I might not execute my assignment the right way, but I need to be aggressive."

Notes and Quotes
--The Saints announced the signing of three players who participated in their recent rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Signed to one-year deals were defensive tackle Lance Legree and defensive end Anton Palepoi, both five-year NFL veterans, while rookie linebacker Desmond Sims of Arkansas signed a three-year contract with the club.

Legree has appeared in 76 regular-season games with 25 starts since earning a roster spot with the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2001. The 6-foot-1, 300-pounder has 90 career tackles with seven sacks while playing for the Giants and New York Jets.

Palepoi, a second-round draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in 2002, has played in 35 NFL games. The 6-4, 297-pounder has 45 career tackles with four sacks, five passes defensed and a forced fumble while playing for the Seahawks, Denver Broncos and Arizona Cardinals.

--It didn't take Saints coach Sean Payton long to make his first move of the team's rookie minicamp last week, even if the player in question had 16 tackles and four sacks in just two games last season.

Mammoth defensive tackle Walter Thomas, who was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Northwest Mississippi Community College, was sent to the locker room just 12 minutes into his first practice and then cut.

Thomas, a 6-foot-5, 375-pounder who reportedly ran the 40 in 4.90 seconds and can do back flips, experienced conditioning problems shortly after the first workout started and was sent to the training room because Payton deemed him unfit to continue.

"We had to cut Walter Thomas," Payton said later. "He was struggling. Walter had a brief career. It was a situation where, from a conditioning standpoint, he had a long way to go."

--Saints quarterback Drew Brees got some help from his fraternity brothers recently as he continues to look for ways to lend support to the rebuilding effort in New Orleans.

More than 80 Sigma Chi members from across the United States and Canada -- one-third of them from Brees' alma mater Purdue -- came to the city to join with Habitat for Humanity in rebuilding homes in the Upper Ninth Ward's Musicians Village.

Brees came up with the idea through his Brees Dream Foundation. The volunteers spent a week in New Orleans, working and enjoying the city at the same time.

"My selling point to them was what a rewarding experience for you guys, and how much this would help the city I've grown to love in the last year," Brees said. "Obviously, there's a lot of work to be done, but little by little it's going to get done, and the city's going to come back better than ever.

"These guys jumped at the opportunity and rose to the challenge, and obviously they have been working extremely hard. I also wanted them to experience the city so they could go home and tell their friends about it and keep bringing the tourism to New Orleans."

--While no official announcement has been made, the Saints will likely hold training camp at Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss., for the second straight year.

Official word from the club is expected soon.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "He's got a long ways to go. The one thing I don't want to do is tell him something that isn't true. You try to encourage these guys. They're young and they've got a lot of work ahead of them. And yet, they need to understand what you're criticizing them about is constructive criticism to help them get better." -- Saints coach Sean Payton on first-round draft pick Robert Meachem being overweight for rookie minicamp.

terribletowel39
05-21-2007, 07:00 PM
12 minutes??? that is ridiuclous i think i could last the first 12 minutes of a workout. that saddens me.

and note to Auron: It's "One Step Closer" not I'm about to break" just to clarify. i was temporarily confused.

Auron
05-22-2007, 08:35 PM
First report from the Saints 1st day of Off-Season Training Activities (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3457).

Looks like one player hasn't missed a beat in this off-season, Drew Brees was said to look quite sharp, and in top form zipping throws to the receivers in drills.

Can't wait for the season to start...

The sounds of football were out in force at the Saints' training facility Tuesday as the full team convened for the first day of Offseason Training Activities (OTAs). Head Coach Sean Payton put his players through the paces as the squad hit the practice field for the first time since the conclusion of the 2006 season.

From whistles blowing to coaches barking out instructions to Drew Brees stepping under center and calling out signals, the Louisiana air was filled with noises indicating the team was back to work.

Payton was pleased with the effort put forth by his players in the first of the 12 OTA sessions to take place over the next few weeks.

"It was our first organized team activity and by and large I think it went pretty well," the coach said. "The weather was good, we were a little bit ahead of schedule, and I thought the tempo was good.

"It's always good to get back on the field and get involved in practice and coaching. Starting with all the little things it gives you an opportunity to detail all the things you want to correct from last year and introduce your scheme. It's always good this time of the year to do that."

The pace of the practice was thanks partially in part to the players being in good shape following seven weeks in strength and conditioning coach Dan Dalrymple's conditioning program.

"Dan and his staff have done a great job of working these guys both from the weights standpoint and the conditioning standpoint and it's evident when you watch a practice like this and see where they're at," added Payton.

Running back Deuce McAllister was glad to be back on the field with his teammates, even if it doesn't seem like all that long ago the season was wrapping up in January.

"It seems like there's never enough time off," McAllister said. "That's the way it is with the offseason program after playing in the postseason, but that's a good thing. If we could have that every year with the offseason getting shorter and shorter, that means you're playing in the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl. But it was good to get back out there and be around the guys."

One player who didn't appear to have missed a beat from a standout performance in 2006 was Brees. He zipped passes all over the field and appeared to be in mid-season form with some of the completions he made to Marques Colston and Devery Henderson in seven-on-seven drills.

"It's encouraging because a year ago we were still going through the process of him not being able to throw," said Payton of his Pro Bowl quarterback. "Everything we did with Drew a year ago was more of a walkthrough and it wasn't until training camp that we began to get live throws from him. It's a credit to his timing and the way that he has prepared in the offseason. He's stayed in shape and he came into this OTA today and it obviously wasn't the first time he's thrown. That's a good thing."

The quarterback said it was not by accident that he and his receivers were on the same page at such an early stage of the offseason program.

"We've been doing our throwing sessions twice a week for the last four weeks so we've had some time together," said Brees. "Obviously that has been without any defense but I think you just get to where it's second nature and the guys know the route depths and they know when the ball is coming out of my hand so we can get out there and forget that there's a defense there and just play catch."

After one practice, Brees was already excited about the possibilities for the 2007 Saints offense surpassing some of the gaudy numbers put up last season.

"We have a great group of receivers," the quarterback gushed. "We're already starting to see how it's all going to piece together. I'm excited about our options. Obviously we know what we were able to accomplish last year but I feel like we can still get so much better."

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9203/tccamppicys3.png
Good sight to see after the lack of Saints news lately. :)

Here's a take from WWL (http://www.wwl.com/pages/489216.php?contentType=4&contentId=528731).

Great news hearing about Harper and Ninkovich back in action and feeling no ill effects . Also looks like Colston is trying to get even stronger, he could be a tackle breaking machine after the catch this season.

ndeed the tempo seemed as if the squad had been practicing for some time, as quarterback Drew Brees was extremely accurate in passing drills. There were no visible signs of a team out of shape as well, something that had the head coach smiling. “I’ve been pleased really with the off-season with the way we’ve been focused in the lifting and running. It’s nice when you give these guys enough time to get their bodies in shape and then come out and begin to work on football. I think it’s always exciting.”

What has to been exciting to Saints fans is that players like safety Roman Harper and Rob Ninkovich participated in team drills. Harper like last year always seemed to know where the ball was going. Ninkovich according to Payton looked good out on the field as well, both he and Harper are coming back from season ending knee injuries.

Receivers Marques Colston and David Patten stood out. Colston in just one year’s time has gone from trying to make the team to becoming the team’s number one receiver. Colston seems to have taken the challenge to be the go-to receiver in the off-season, as he looks considerable stronger. Colston says he’s put on about 7 pounds of “good weight” since the end of the season. Patten picked up as a free agent signing from the New England Patriots is competing for a spot on the receiving corps. He looked good catching passes but really stood out in an open field drill where he routinely had defenders missing. The drill looks like a punt of kick off, where Patten stood in the end zone and tried to dodge two defenders with full heads of steam.

The team wraps up OTAs on June 14, six weeks later the players report for start of training camp.

Flyboy
05-23-2007, 12:59 AM
This is the millionth time Auron has posted something JUST as I was about to. DAMN YOU, SIR!! :)

Auron
05-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Heh news is coming in spades. Was going to post this yesterday but forgot.

Roman Harper was up and running, practicing with the first team. Link (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3458)

Tuesday morning's practice marked Harper's return to the field, and he stepped in where he left off - playing with the first-string defense.

"That was good," Harper replied when asked how he felt to be put back out with the starters. "It felt really good and it shows the confidence that they have in me even though I got hurt last year. I guess they believe in what I did early and I showed them that I can still play a little bit. I'm pretty confident on how I'm coming along."

The former University of Alabama defensive back said that he felt good about his performance on his first day back and felt that the hard work he and the training staff had put in over the months he missed had paid off.

"No, not from what I noticed today," Harper answered when asked if he was concerned that his knee would hold up. "Today was a good learning day and we weren't trying to do too much on it, but as we go on through the OTAs we'll see. It's all mental really, how my confidence comes to jump or plant. You've got to be mentally strong and believe that you're going to make that play when you come out of the break."

One thing that being forced to watch from the sidelines taught Harper was just how much he loves to play the game he's played all of his life.

"It made me hungry. It made me miss it so much more. I've never been hurt before and this was the longest I've ever been away from football so it seems like I've been gone for 12 years, but it's coming along and I'm happy to be back running around out there. It felt good to put on my jersey again."

Also there are reports that Robert Meachem is in considerably better shape than he was in Rookie camps.

Auron
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM
3rd day of OTA's (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3460). Just hearing some of the reports to come out of the practices it sounds really encouraging, a lot of players are getting bigger, faster, stronger through out their off-season conditioning.

From the article it sounded like the Defensive Secondary had a very good day of practice. Craft made some plays, in other reports both Usama Young, and David Jones are impressing.

Sounds like Payton really wants to improve upon the Turnover Ratio, finished -4 turnover margin from last season. So that is definitely an area the team can improve upon. Just generating more turnovers, to get the ball back to the Offense.

Day three of the New Orleans Saints' offseason team activities saw the team head indoors for their 90-minute morning practice. After two days of work on the outdoor fields, Head Coach Sean Payton decided to hold Thursday's session in the team's indoor facility and liked what he saw.

"All three days we've had pretty good tempo and I've been pleased with that," Payton said. "We went inside today just to change it up and I thought we moved around pretty well."

One thing that stood out about this morning's session was the performance of the defense with defensive backs consistently getting the better of their offensive counterparts in head-to-head matchups. Cornerback Jason Craft was one of the stars of the practice, breaking up a number of throws during seven-on-seven drills.

Working on installing schemes for passing situations, Payton was happy with the showing of his defenders, albeit in a non-contact session.

"I think today defensively we did a pretty good job," said the coach. "It's tough without the pads for the linemen, but it was an emphasis on nickel and third down and I thought we moved around pretty well.

"Obviously the veterans are further along in what we're trying to do and the young guys are learning and trying to get up to speed as soon as possible."

Payton revealed that one of the main points his staff is stressing in 2007 is creating turnovers and improving on their turnover margin. In Payton's first season at the helm, they overcame a minus-four turnover margin which ranked 22nd in the NFL to win the NFC South and the coach knows that creating more turnovers is imperative for repeat success.

"The big emphasis has been us trying to improve in the turnover area," he said. "We finished with 10 regular season wins and were in the NFC Championship Game despite finishing minus-four in the turnover ratio. There's one specific area that I think we can directly improve on and really an area that hurt us in that last game of the season. You can certainly point to that Chicago game and those are big possessions that change the course of a game.

"Both offensively and defensively and along with our special teams - our ability to create more and the emphasis of looking to create more turnovers and obviously our ability to protect the football - that's one specific area (we have) to improve. We were really down towards the bottom of the league and that's certainly not where we want to be at minus-four."

Cornerback Mike McKenzie agreed with his coach and says that he will be taking it upon himself to create more turnovers this year.

"I know I only had one game with a turnover last year (he had two interceptions against San Francisco) so I would definitely like to add to that and all of us guys in the backfield know that we definitely have to get our hands on more balls this season," McKenzie said.

The veteran cornerback went on to say that working against the potent Saints offense every day is a sure way to sharpen their skills.

"We want to make sure our offense is staying on their toes and if we just continue to keep going out there and compete against them we can't do anything but get better."

Auron
05-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Did a Roman Harper Highlight video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1ohvi06dE).

This was a little more difficult to make seeing as he only played in 5 games total before getting hurt, but I noticed going through the tapes he steadily improved each and every game, and I'm glad to hear he's back in action practicing with the 1st team.

Saints Dome Patrol
05-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Wow, I have been completely out of the loop these last few weeks after the Draft... :confused:

But Auron, thanks for posting all of these recent camp updates...I really appreciate it. Not only have they been great reads, I really enjoy the videos as well.

It just gets me pumped that there's less than 100 days before the start of FOOTBALL SEASON!!! :D

Saints Dome Patrol
05-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Just something of interest I saw on NewOrleansSaints.com:

Saints hire Fred McAfee as Director of Player Programs (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3461)

I, for one, am very happy about this. I really liked Freddie Mac with the Saints, especially since he was a local boy (Mississippi College) and was an excellent special teamer. He also was an adequate backup running back and all in all, a great team player. I'm really happy that the Saints were able to give him a front office job and retain him in some capacity with the team. :D

saintsfan912
05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Did a Roman Harper Highlight video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1ohvi06dE).

This was a little more difficult to make seeing as he only played in 5 games total before getting hurt, but I noticed going through the tapes he steadily improved each and every game, and I'm glad to hear he's back in action practicing with the 1st team.

Man I can't wait to see him back on the field again. He is such a pure tackler, great fundamentals. Especially loved the body slam, that was awesome.

Auron
05-26-2007, 12:44 PM
No problem Dome Patrol, glad you guys like the vids. I have a few more articles that I thought were interesting.

Article (http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=119&pid=0&sid=1150085&page=2) about Colston stepping up as a leader in the WR corps. Really good read, very encouraging to know that he's trying to help a struggling teammate and give advice.

Marques Colston was being coy about how majoring in psychology at Hofstra might have given him insight into consoling a struggling teammate. Still, no one had to prod the Saints' second-year receiver to call first-round draft choice Robert Meachem after Colston noticed Meachem struggling through the opening sessions of rookie camp.

"That major (psychology) doesn't help with this heat, so I just try to give him some words of encouragement because you can never have too many playmakers on your team," Colston said after an offseason training session. Colston began participating in voluntary workouts for veterans more than a month ago. During one of those sessions he decided to take a peek at how the rookies were doing in their first minicamp. He saw Meachem breathing heavily and getting yelled at by coaches an experience Colston remembered well.

"I saw him struggling a little bit, and it's not like I don't know that feeling," Colston said. After spraining his ankle during the second day of rookie camp, Meachem sat in a room with reporters, berating himself publicly for being out of shape and generally performing below his expectations. He also mentioned that Colston called him twice to advise him on how to deal with it.

Colston said he alerted Meachem that "there's going to be ups and downs. You just try to keep an even keel. It's a long season. It's a rough season." "You've got a good group of guys around (Meachem) that's going to keep him straight, so he should be all right," Colston added. When Meachem got to practice with veterans for the first time several days ago, he leaned on Colston for advice of a more technical nature.

"I ask him a lot of questions," Meachem said. "When I don't understand something, sometimes coach will be yelling at somebody else, so I ask one of the veterans, 'What should you do on this certain route?'" In brief moments of reflection, Colston seems mystified by how quickly he went from a virtual nobody to taking a leadership role in the receiving corps of what was the NFL's best passing offense last season.

"This business goes so fast it doesn't really give you a chance to look at things in retrospect, but it has been a pretty good journey," Colston said. Last year at this time, Colston showed up at Saints headquarters as a seventh-round project out of a Division I-AA program on Long Island. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, he had the right build for an NFL receiver, but his coaches had little idea whether he had the requisite ability.

Coach Sean Payton often said that if he knew how good Colston would become in such a short time, the Saints would have drafted him well before the seventh round. Payton also recalled during last month's draft, when the Saints picked several more small college prospects, that Colston needed a few months of offseason work before his potential began to reveal itself during training camp.

Anyone who watched the spring rookie camp in 2006 "would have been selling their Colston stock," Payton recalled. Colston said no one called him when he labored through his rookie camp, but he wouldn't have expected that anyway.

"Our situations are kind of different," Colston said, comparing himself to Meachem. "Coming in as the first-round pick, there's a 99 percent chance he's going to make the team. In the seventh round, you're kind of straddling the fence." Meachem, the 27th overall pick out of Tennessee, is not only nearly certain to make the team, but also is expected to compete for a starting job. Like Colston, the 6-foot-2 receiver gives quarterback Drew Brees another big target with speed.

"They definitely look alike, and just from what I've seen and heard about Meachem is that the speed's there to run after the catch," Brees said. "Now it's just a matter of getting him comfortable with this offense and really finding out where his strengths are."

Payton said he was pleased to see Colston help Meachem adjust to the NFL.

"We've got players that aren't selfish and that want to help the team. So whether that's a guy like Deuce (McAllister) helping a young running back or Marques helping a young receiver or Brees helping a young quarterback, I think that exists on our team, and that's something that's important," Payton said. "And certainly, the leadership on your team doesn't just have to come from players with a lot of years in the league."

And if Meachem has the kind of season Colston had, the Saints could be even more prolific through the air. Colston, despite missing two games with an ankle sprain, caught 70 passes for 1,038 yards and eight touchdowns. He caught another touchdown pass at Chicago in the NFC championship game.

Then there's the additional weight of responsibility and expectations that comes with being the No. 1 receiver. Colston said he's not feeling any pressure in that regard.

"We've got a great mix of guys in our receiving corps to the point where everyone can kind of be themselves," he said. "We have more vocal guys ... and guys that go out and kind of lead by example."

Including himself.

----
Also on article (http://www.sunherald.com/251/story/61018.html) on CB Jason David, and how he's adjusting to the Saints Defense, and how he's going to earn a starting job.

New Orleans Saints wide receiver Marques Colston towered over newly acquired Jason David at the line of scrimmage in the cornerback's first team session this week.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Colston looked down at David, a 5-8, 180-pound cornerback. It's a problem David has to overcome every time he stares across the line at a bigger, more physical pass catcher.

"I kind of feel like a rookie all over again and that's in all cases," David said. "I come in here to play and I've got something to prove. As far as the playbook goes, it's a lot different than what I'm accustomed to and what we ran in Indianapolis. I've got to get used to the language and the terminology around here."

The former Indianapolis Colts cornerback squared off against quarterback Peyton Manning along with wide receivers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne in preparation for their next opponent.

Facing Colston and Saints quarterback Drew Brees on a daily basis for the next few seasons can only help David's maturation.

"It's the NFL," David said. "Every team is going to have some great receivers. Going against those guys every day has made me a better player. I've learned how to work hard playing with those versatile guys. You've got to go hard in practice every day. I'm going to try to bring this to this defense."

The Saints are hoping David delivers after the team shelled out $16.5 million and a fourth-round pick in April's draft to land a three-year starter who was a restricted free agent with the current Super Bowl champions.

David said no promises have been made by Saints management as to when he'll jump into the starting lineup.

Last year's starters Mike McKenzie and Fred Thomas took the field with the first unit to kickoff OTAs this week. David played alongside Jason Craft with the second unit in his opening practice in New Orleans.

But look at the contracts and it's easy to assume who will be the starter between David and Thomas. The maligned Thomas was forced to take a 25 percent pay cut to remain with the Saints and is in the final year of his contract.

Add Thomas' troubles that began midway through the regular season and were more prevalent in the playoffs, and David could be on the field sooner rather than later.

"I'm just going to do what I'm asked to do," David said. "It's a different situation to where I was. Coming into Indianapolis as a rookie, I kind of got thrown in there. These guys we have here, we've got some older guys.

"If I could just learn from them and become a better player and at the same time compete for my job, that's going to make everybody better."

McKenzie and Thomas combined for 11 interceptions during the last three seasons, while David picked off eight passes alone for the Colts in his first three years in the league. Other competition lurks for McKenzie and Thomas after the Saints drafted cornerbacks Usama Young and David Jones.

"Regardless of where I'm at, if I'm playing football, I'm going to have a good time," David said. "Being in New Orleans and around this team is better than I thought. I'm just trying to learn the playbook and keep rolling.

"The faster I learn the playbook, the faster I'll play."

504 to ATL
05-27-2007, 01:11 AM
I didnt know the heat was grueling enough to make Colston lose and inch and shed 10 pounds, haha. Difference in articles.

Im excited about Robert, and our secondary this season. With Harper in there along with David other teams are going to focus on the run once agiain. Good thing we should be better off in that standpoint than last year.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-27-2007, 06:25 PM
I didnt know the heat was grueling enough to make Colston lose and inch and shed 10 pounds, haha. Difference in articles.

Im excited about Robert, and our secondary this season. With Harper in there along with David other teams are going to focus on the run once agiain. Good thing we should be better off in that standpoint than last year.

Just wondering, how did we improve our run defense this offseason? Adding an aging, injury prone MLB? I'm very curious to hear how we will be better against the run this season.

TigerBait45
05-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Simmons is at least a little bit of an upgrade over Simoneau at this point. I don't think we'll be much better, but I doubt it'll be worse.

Flyboy
05-28-2007, 01:38 AM

Should have went back to his college days, Auron. ;)

Auron
05-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Should have went back to his college days, Auron. ;)

I would've but I didn't have any clips of him at Alabama available.

Also first Saints Mini Camp starts June 1st, and goes through June 3rd.

Flyboy
05-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Here's a great Saints' read by Mike Detiller:

Scouting the 2007 Saints

Mike Detillier

This is the time of the year NFL coaches use to breakdown film on teams that they will play for the upcoming season and what happened good and bad for their squads in the previous year. They also evaluate the talent, not only on their squad but on the other 31 teams in the league.

I spent time with two coaches who faced the New Orleans Saints last season, and asked them what they thought were the strengths and weaknesses of the 10-6 team and what they thought of the 2007 Saints.

While both coaches asked not to be identified and would not give out all of their secrets, I learned interesting tidbits from the coaches, one who coaches on defense and the other an offensive coach.

The two areas of real strength on the 2006 version of the New Orleans Saints was their ability to score points (413 total) and the accuracy skills of quarterback Drew Brees.

The AFC coach who went up against this high-powered attack came away impressed.

"The Saints are tough on defense, real tough," said the veteran AFC coach. "They are not an offensive team built along the same lines of the Indianapolis Colts. They are most like the New England Patriots. The Colts use the same plays, the same formations in many instances, but it is their ability to execute plays due to repetition that makes them so special, not to mention the talents of Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark and now Joe Addai. The Saints are like the Patriots. They spread the ball around to just about everyone on the field and they can play the power running game version of football or put the ball in the air 35 times to beat you."

The assistant coach says that, not surprisingly, the key to the Saints attack is Brees.

"Drew’s game is not about arm strength or throwing the ball 65 yards downfield. It is all about poise, great accuracy skills and touch," the veteran coach said. "The guy can just cut you apart when he is hot. To be honest, he didn’t get the credit he deserved last season playing with an aging Joe Horn, a rookie, now a good rookie, but still a rookie in Marques Colston, a solid player in Terrance Copper and a very inconsistent speed threat in Devery Henderson at wide receiver. They had a lot of other teams with better talent than what the Saints had at wide receiver, but Brees made it work. It didn’t matter what guy they incorporated in their offense at tight end, he pumped them the ball, if they were open."

The defensive coach also says that the Saints offense really kept teams off balance due to the talents of former USC Heisman Trophy winning halfback Reggie Bush.

"I really respect Deuce McAllister and I think the world of him, but he wasn’t getting the openings the last few seasons that he had last season," the defensive coach said. "Now, their offensive line play was really good, but for us, the key was to find defensive personnel to go head-up against Bush. As a runner or as a receiver, he gave us fits. No one in this league has a safety or a linebacker that can cover him one-on-one coming out of the backfield. Even when he is a decoy, you have to be alert that something may go his way. The Bush/McAllister tandem is in my opinion the toughest to face in the league, and when you throw in fullback Mike Karney, that makes them even more dangerous. It is the ability to play the power game or the edge game that makes them so tough. I believe this season Bush will touch the ball even more as a runner."

Asked to evaluate who was the player that caught his eye the most in film study, and the coach gave a somewhat surprising answer.

"On that team you could go in many directions, but I would have to say left offensive tackle Jammal Brown," the coach said. "He was awesome last year in his first season at left tackle. The guy is big, tough, nasty and a terrific run blocker. Jammal is not the most athletic left tackle in the league, but he plays the game with excellent balance and he knows how to use those long arms to keep defenders off Brees. He didn’t look really good in pre-season, but when the whistle blew for real, he was a star."

When asked what could make the Saints an even more explosive team in 2007, the defensive coach pointed directly toward two players, wide receiver Devery Henderson and tight end Eric Johnson.

"Rookie Robert Meachem from Tennessee will be a really good NFL player, in time, but the guy that could really make that offense click is Devery," the defensive coach said. "He really improved as a route runner, and while he is not the most sure-handed guy as a receiver, he is dangerous due to his speed and his ability to pull away from defenders in traffic. I spoke to Nick Saban about him when he was at LSU and he really liked him, but he felt that Devery was just starting to feel confident with his skills as a receiver as a senior. It’s his ability to vertically stretch a defense that makes him tough to defend, but he has to catch the ball in a more consistent manner."

The other player that has a chance to step on the Saints’ offensive gas pedal is Johnson. Johnson is intelligent, a razor-sharp route runner and he runs with the ball well after the grab. He is not real big, he is not a very physical inline blocker, and he has a history of missing plenty of time due to injuries, but he could be a tight end that catches 55 to 65 balls for the Saints in 2007, if he stays healthy.

When asked how he would defend them in 2007, the veteran coach says that stopping the run is the key.

"The best way to stop the Saints offense is to shut down their running attack and force Drew Brees to throw the ball 45 times a game," the defensive coach said. "They set the tone on offense by running the ball with Deuce and Reggie. They aren’t the same offense when they have to rely on the pass on just about every play. The other thing I believe the Saints will see this season is more initial pressure from the middle. Teams will try and disrupt the passing game by shooting linebackers or safeties right up the middle and getting their defensive linemen to get their hands up quickly to deflect Drew’s throws. He is not real tall and if you get pressure inside, you have a shot to cause turnovers. But that is a lot easier said than done."

Last season, the most surprisingly part of the team that was one game away from Super Bowl Sunday was on defense, and the NFC offensive coach said that Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs did a great job with the talent on hand.

"The Saints were solid on defense, not real special, but they played hard, they played aggressive and they made big stops at critical times during a game," said the NFC offensive coordinator. "Really, that defense is led by three really good players, defensive ends Charles Grant and Will Smith and outside linebacker Scott Fujita."

The offensive coach says that the Saints’ key to success was their ability to consistently put pressure on the quarterback and their ability to get players moving toward the ball carrier quickly after the snap.

"Will (Smith) is a star player in this league, no question about it. He plays the run well, he is a slick pass rusher with good moves and he has excellent closing speed to the quarterback," the offensive coach said. "(Charles) Grant really impressed me last season. In breaking down tape of him, he played the run much better last season than any other time in his career, and while he didn’t get as many sacks as he did earlier in his career, he consistently got pressure off the edge. Sometimes that sack stuff is overrated, but it is more about pressure and Smith and Grant form a really good tandem. If Grant had not been franchised, I guarantee you that we would have made him a richer man than the Saints did. I really like Scott Fujita also, he is a good athlete, real intelligent guy and he just flows so well to the ball."

When asked what could make the Saints better on defense, the coach said that it boils down to making more key turnovers.

"On most playoff clubs they do it with a host of turnovers, but the Saints had only 19 takeaways," the NFC offensive coach said. "That has to improve this season. If the Saints defense can create six to seven more turnovers, especially with that offense on a short field, they are going to be hard to beat."

The NFC offensive coach says that the good health of safety Roman Harper and the addition of veteran linebacker Brian Simmons and cornerback Jason David should aid in the Saints’ quest to get better on defense.

"Let’s be honest. Most teams will try and pound the ball at the middle of their defense. When we play them again, that is exactly what we will do. We also want to shorten the game when we play the Saints. We don’t want their offense on the field all the time, so we are going to attack them with running plays directed between tackles," the NFC offensive coach said. "I really think that if safety Roman Harper can come back to full strength he is going to be a difference-maker. The young man from Alabama is a really good football player and he has a knack for being around the ball.

"(Brian) Simmons is still a very athletic linebacker, who I believe is best suited to play weakside, but the Saints will play him inside. He is a good fit for Gibbs’ defense. Brian is a quick thinker and you also don’t have to take him out on third down situations because Simmons is a good pass defender. We have only gone up against cornerback Jason David once in the pros, but I was impressed with his speed and his ability to find the football quickly in the air. He will get physically beaten by bigger receivers, but he showed me a lot of toughness. We really liked Usama Young also at draft time. He wasn’t even on our top 200 list in March, but once we got a long look at him and worked him out, we really liked him and everyone was disappointed in our draft room when the Saints picked him because we had a deal in place to trade up for him if he had lasted a few more picks. Young will really help them out in nickel and dime schemes this year. He looks like the eventual replacement for McKenzie."

When I questioned both coaches if they thought the Saints had the right elements to get to the Super Bowl, the veteran assistants quickly answered yes.

Auron
05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Good read. Nice to hear some praise from some of the higher ups around the league. Couple of my thoughts.

- Agree with the Defensive coach that Reggie Bush just adds another lethal Dimension to the Offense. When you have the threat of a possible reverse, or screen with a guy who has the talent and skills of Bush motioning across the formation, that really draws the attention of a Defense. They have to account for him wherever he is on the field, and that really benefits the whole Offense by creating extra space in running lanes for Deuce on inside handoffs. Which is why I'd like to see the Bush/Deuce tandem together for as long as possible.

- However I do believe; At times on 3rd & Short, or Goal Line situations where we need to just line it up and pound it for 2-3 yards that sometimes we do struggle to generate a push upfront on the interior of the line. Also he makes a point that bringing pressure up the middle can really disrupt our passing game as Drew is a shorter QB and he'll struggle when a Defender shoots the gap and gets in his face. Which is why I'm glad we addressed O-line depth with guys like Alleman, and Bushrod in the Draft.

- If Devery can seriously work on his concentration, and consistency he definitely can become a legitimate threat and starter opposite Colston. He's already shown what he can do when he gets behind Defenses, now I hope he can improve his Short to Intermediate game.

- Game plan wise it looks like we might start to get the Indianapolis Colt treatment, in the sense that when other teams have the ball they are going to try and grind out the clock as much as possible to keep our Offense on the sidelines. I do believe the return of Harper, and the addition of Simmons will be a boost in the area of stopping the run, however we'll see how the Defense steps up to the task during the season.

again great read.

504 to ATL
05-30-2007, 09:46 PM
there are many positives we can look forward to, in the sense that the team can improve in certain areas.

But also I do believe that teams are REALLY afraid of our offense as many people have pointed out and will do everything within their power to stay on the field.

Our run defense needs to shore up big time and fast. I think Harper and Simmons can make a difference, but really all the defense needs to do is hold the opposition to field goals and a few TD's while our high powered offense manages TD's.

Hopefully since the DB's are improved we will not get burned for big yardage (cough Thomas) and will allow Grant and Smith some time to work. These guys can be deadly when given time.

I am scared that the taller Defensive Tackles in the league will make a concerted effort to put their hands up against Drew, but they have been trying this his entire career, so really there is no big difference.

Auron
06-01-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Day of Mini camps today.

Can't post the entire articles so I'll post a snippet, there are a few out there.

This one is about Drew Brees' vigilant effort to come into every activity and "re-prove" himself to stay in top form. Times Pic (http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2007/06/cool_brees.html)
Yes, breesy. Drew Brees-y. Whatever injuries he has sustained in the past two years are just that: whatever. Every pass he threw in the first hour was brisk. He is downright frisky in the pocket, springing back into his three step drop.

His arm strength is in mid-season form. He hit Devery Henderson on a 30-plus yard throw and has sprayed passes like precision buckshot to receivers all over the field.

Brees is a different breed of quarterback for New Orleans. He stepped into training camp as the only person questioning his spot. He told reporters before he took the field today that he goes into each minicamp and each practice thinking he must "re-prove" himself and essentially earn his starting spot back. That mentality is probably what makes him so good.

These comments are just going off things I've heard from friends and various posters on other Saints forums.

- Great turn out a lot of Saints fans went out to show support. The Players were very enthusiastic, and looked crisp. Charles Grant sounded very pumped on his interview on WWL.

- Supposedly Devery has stepped up big time this off-season, he's catching the ball with confidence and running improved routes. Of course it's the offseason but hearing this is encouraging. Heard he made an amazing over the shoulder catch on a deep ball down the sideline today.

- Payton is stressing creating turnovers on Defense. The players are hustling, and staying with plays. Grant looked real sharp, getting some pressures on Drew.

again these are just points I've heard from friends, and various posts on message boards.

Flyboy
06-01-2007, 06:41 PM
I hope I can post this here... I'm going to give proper credit, but Dubya posted the pictures he took from today's minicamp over at SaintsReport.com. For some reason, this one is my favorite.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/saintsreport/DSC_0028.jpg

Auron
06-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah Deuce is checking out the Gold kicks..

I heard Reggie changed his shoes mid way through practices.

Flyboy
06-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah.. from the looks of it, he went from the black & gold ones to the black & white ones.

Auron
06-02-2007, 02:43 AM
Mini camp blog on the Saints official site (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3470) from Friday's practices. I'll point out 2 nice parts from it, they give a very detailed description of what happened Friday afternoon.

- In the portion of practice that concentrated predominately on running drills, a few plays and players stood out:

Deuce McAllister opened the period up with a powerful inside run, following FB Mike Karney, C Jeff Faine and RG Jamar Nesbit and bolted through the middle for a long run.

- The play of the day came when Brees dropped back and lofted a tight spiral down the sideline to a sprinting Devery Henderson, who made a spectacular one-handed grab despite near perfect coverage from fifth-round draft choice CB David Jones.

Can't wait to hear news from today's practices.

Auron
06-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Some news from 2nd day of Mini camps.

There's a segment on Reggie Bush in ESPN.com's Video feature. It's about the improvements he's trying to make for his 2nd NFL season.

A few notes from Morning practices.

New Orleans Saints Official Site (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3472)
Following stretching drills the team broke up into individual skill positions for drills. First round raft choice Robert Meachem displayed quick feet and soft hands in a three-cone pass receiving drill. Despite completing a repetition in which he hauled in three successive passes, wide receivers coach Curtis Johnson instructed Meachem to repeat the drill, making slight modifications to his footwork.

"It's all part of it," said the rookie wideout later. "He wants it done a certain way and I appreciate the fact that he is spending time with me and coaching me up. It's not frustrating and I feel it is all part of it. Coach Johnson is simply working to make us all better receivers. It's plain and simple."
Sounds like Meachem is making strides, the coaches are spending a lot of time with him giving him instruction to make sure he's coming along.

Some more blurbs from the article and just stuff I'm hearing on WWL and on forums.

- Mike McKenzie stood out today, and really looked like a top Corner. He was all over the field making plays, and making it difficult for the receivers to make catches against him.
McKenzie and WR Marques Colston ran stride for stride down the sideline and Colston positioned himself perfectly to make an over-the-shoulder catch from Brees, but McKenzie leaped at the last second and knocked the ball away.

- Rookie Corners, Usama Young looked good once again showing good instincts. Mike Detillier is really high on him he thinks he'll end up being the Nickel Corner when all is said and done. Joe Porter, CB from Rutgers was lined up against Jamal Jones and initially it looked as if Jones beat him on a double move route, but Porter recovered and made a play to knock the ball away.
David Jones made a fine play too.
Rookie CB David Jones made a perfect play on a pass intended for Michael Lewis. He knocked the ball away after making a break on the ball and accelerated quickly out of his backpedal to close the gap with one stride, enabling him to bat the ball down.

- Drew Brees connected with Terrance Copper downfield on a perfectly executed Double move route. It would be about a 50-60 yard TD.

Brees had a much better day of practice today. Yesterday he was off on a few throws he was right on the mark today.
Brees continued to look exceptionally sharp, throwing myriad of different passes and hitting his receivers in perfect stride.

- Defense looked very feisty and active. Players are stripping the ball carriers, and causing turnovers.

I'll try to get some more info..

Flyboy
06-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I am definitely ready for the upcoming season.

Auron
06-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I wish the season could start tomorrow.

Saints wrapped up Spring Mini Camp today. Some notes (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3475) from today's practice. (more at the link)

Head Coach Sean Payton said earlier in the day that he was pleased with the overall tone of the camp and that he thought the players and coaches were getting what they had hoped out of the weekend's minicamp.

- Drew Brees and Reggie Bush appeared to be in midseason form as the quarterback fired a strike to Bush on a slant and the speedster turned on the jets and ran away from the defense up the seam.

Flyboy
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Saints | Meachem to have knee examined
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:33:57 -0700

The Associated Press reports New Orleans Saints WR Robert Meachem (knee) will have his right knee examined for a potential medial meniscus problem after he missed practices Sunday, June 3, and Monday, June 4. "After his exam I'll know a little bit more, but it started to get to the point where it was hampering him (Sunday afternoon) running," head coach Sean Payton said. "We backed him off yesterday and the same way this morning." Payton added the team was aware Meachem had a possible minor meniscus problem before they selected him in April's NFL Draft.

KFFL Reports

Oh noes! :(

Auron
06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh noes! :(

Doesn't sound good at all. I'm not going to panic or anything but I have been having some doubts about the pick in the back of my mind lately.

but alas in the end this may turn out to be just a bump in the road, and only a minor setback for him. So I'll wait and see the extent of the injury before jumping to conclusions.

Going to edit my post. ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2892754) reports that Meachem will undergo arthroscopic surgery and should be out about 3-4 Weeks.

Auron
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Just a few recent articles I was going to mention. Just going to post snippets, and the links.

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10212627) piece written by Adam Schefter midway through he mentions that Jermon Bushrod has been very impressive so far.
Fortunately for the Saints, the news on the rest of this year's draft class is considerably better. It's early, but already it looks as if New Orleans has hit more draft pay dirt outside the first round.

The team's second fourth-round pick, Towson offensive tackle Jermon Bushrod, has wowed Saints officials over the past month. New Orleans believes it has hit on Bushrod just as it hit last year's fourth-round pick, Bloomsburg guard Jahri Evans.

SunHerald (http://www.sunherald.com/251/story/68317.html) article, about Devery Henderson's offseason attempt to improve on catching, and the fundamentals.

"It looked like we were just throwing out there," Henderson said. "But the main thing was focusing on the ball. As easy as it looks doing what we were doing, but we're trying to look the ball into our hands every time."

Studying tape has also become more of a habit for Henderson than in seasons past. At first, he didn't like what he saw. Now, the reel has become more of a how-to rather than a how-not to play wide receiver in the NFL. The extra time in the film room has paid off this offseason as he's been one of the highlights for the Saints during this weekend's minicamp and organized team activity practices.

Last one is a interview with Linebackers coach Joe Vitt, and how talks about keeping last season in perspective and trying to start this season fresh. Link (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-31/1180852050297430.xml&coll=1&thispage=2)
"I still have the taste of a snowball in the face," Vitt's saying of that 39-14 beating on Jan. 21 at Soldier Field. "As far as I'm concerned, everything that came before is history. I draw the curtain on that. All I want to know now is what we're going to do about the memory of that snowball."

t's no surprise forcing turnovers is No. 1 on Payton's hit list. And there were Vitt's linebackers back at square one at minicamp working on technique. While the crowd was on hand to watch Drew Brees throw to anyone, linebackers were busy working on basics that go unnoticed -- knee bends, ankle flex, eye position, hand position, feet position and quick twitch.

Flyboy
06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I get the sense that Henderson is going to have a BIG year for us this season and then bolt come FA. :(

T-Col
06-06-2007, 02:38 AM
I get the sense that Henderson is going to have a BIG year for us this season and then bolt come FA. :(

which is another reason why the meachem selection was a good one. gives us a little extra security.

however, Devery is a Lousiana guy. if i'm correct, i believe he's lived here all his life. the offer from another team would have to be substantially larger than the saints offer to luer himaway from here, IMO

but, it may well come down to the point where we have to choose between keeping Devery or Grant, in which case, i don't know who goes and who stays

Flyboy
06-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Grant's already locked up.

504 to ATL
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Some good notes:

Well Meachems surgery was a success.

And our corners are looking very impressive, from ALL sources.

Devery is finally committed to getting better. Our receivers looked great, the problem now is deciding on which ones make the team.

And we have Oline depth!!!!!

T-Col
06-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Grant's already locked up.

i've been under a rock as far as offseason football. tryin to get ready for the season by getting back into it now [places embarising paper bag over head]

Flyboy
06-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Some good notes:

Well Meachems surgery was a success.

And our corners are looking very impressive, from ALL sources.

Devery is finally committed to getting better. Our receivers looked great, the problem now is deciding on which ones make the team.

And we have Oline depth!!!!!

The only position that has me going "eh" is our DT situation.

Auron
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Regarding Devery - well we'll have him for this season at the least. It's great to hear that he's trying to improve on his weak areas, however it's still only in helmets and shorts he's still going to have to show it on the field. It would be a shame to see him have a breakout season then leave, however I do think the Contract priorities after this season will be extensions for Will Smith, and Colston.

Good news about Meachem's successful surgery hope he has a speedy rehab he can't fall too far behind.

Aside from the Front 7 I really like the way the Depth is shaking up, on paper of course. Defensive Tackle is a big concern for me, there's still a possibility of pulling off another trade before the season starts to get a rotational guy in there.

Flyboy
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Aside from the Front 7 I really like the way the Depth is shaking up, on paper of course. Defensive Tackle is a big concern for me, there's still a possibility of pulling off another trade before the season starts to get a rotational guy in there.

Yeah, I have a feeling we're going to address it in the pre-season much like we did with our LB corps. last season.

Flyboy
06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Sean Payton Q&A:

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3480

Saints67
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Saints sign...

Kendrick Clancy, a DT from the Cards to a 3 year deal...per Siruis.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187514
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/bio.php?PRKey=86

Saints67
06-07-2007, 03:09 PM
it's confirmed, he is signed...

http://neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3482

Auron
06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Lol how ironic is that, just yesterday we were talking about adding DT depth and boom Clancy gets signed today.

Like the signing. Adds some depth to a weak spot, his competition will push Leisle, Lake, and maybe he can surprise spelling reps in the D-line rotation.

Flyboy
06-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Haha, you and I are good Auron. Maybe if we talk about more things they'll happen too.

Auron
06-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Maybe tomorrow we can work out a deal for Asante Samuel, and pull off a trade for Jonathan Vilma. ;)

...Nah but still that was pretty awesome. Payton and Loomis have been doing a great job so far.

Auron
06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
The Saints signed their first rookie today. Agreeing to a contract with 3rd round pick Andy Alleman. ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2900739)

The New Orleans Saints on Monday reached agreement with third-round choice Andy Alleman, an offensive guard from Akron, and the first of the team's seven selections from this year's draft to come to terms on a contract.

The 88th prospect chosen overall, Alleman will sign a three-year, $1.604 million contract. The deal includes a $489,000 signing bonus and league minimum base salaries of $285,000 (2007), $370,000 (2008) and $460,000 (2009).

Good to get that out of the way early, hopefully everything will go smoothly with the rest of the Draft picks.

Flyboy
06-11-2007, 02:03 PM

I don't like you. :)

Auron
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
A minute earlier you probably could of got it... :D

I didn't see any Saints fans a moment ago when I got on though.

diabsoule
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Great to hear that we signed Alleman. I think the guy is going to be a starter sooner than later.

Flyboy
06-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Bringing the first of their draft picks under contract, the New Orleans Saints announced Monday that they have signed both of their 2007 third-round draft choices, cornerback Usama Young (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/playerbio.cfm?playerid=445) and guard Andy Alleman (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/playerbio.cfm?playerid=446) to three-year contracts. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/frontofficebio.cfm?frontofficeid=49).
"I'm glad we were able to get these deals done quickly," Loomis said. "These players have been working hard in our offseason program and it's great to know that we will have them ready to go when training camp opens next month."

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3485

Take THAT, Auron!

Auron
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Touche...

great to see Usama Young signed already he's someone I'm really counting on to step up.

Hopefully we'll have guys like Bushrod, Pittman, David Jones signed by the end of this week. I'm guessing Meachem will be the most difficult to sign, because of his draft position combined with the injury.

Auron
06-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Q & A interview with Sean Payton. Pretty good read, they talk about the intensity level in practices, expectations from the TE position, conditioning of the players, signing rookies early.. and more.

Saints Official Site (http://neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3487)
With two OTA practices remaining before the Saints close out their offseason program for 2007, Head Coach Sean Payton met with the media for what will likely be the final time before the team reports for training camp in just over six weeks.

The following is a recap of the coach's responses to a variety of questions Tuesday, ranging from the conditioning of the players to the outlook for the tight end position:

Flyboy
06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
David Jones signed, DeJuan Groce released.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3489

Three draft picks signed, three to go.

Auron
06-14-2007, 05:47 PM
When was the last time we got our Rookies signed this quickly? Keep em coming Loomis..

I guess now we've added enough CB depth to the point where we were comfortable cutting Groce.

504 to ATL
06-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Who are our special team returners? Dont know if Beerman will make it and now Groce going as well, who will be left for CERTAIN.

Auron
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Who are our special team returners? Dont know if Beerman will make it and now Groce going as well, who will be left for CERTAIN.

Looking at the roster there are a bunch of guys who can handle return duties.

Lance Moore
Jamal Jones
Terrance Copper
Reggie Bush
Aaron Stecker
Antonio Pittman
David Jones
Joe Porter

I believe all of those guys have taken return reps in camps, of course some of those guys won't make the team but we have quite a few options in the return game. From what I've heard Lance Moore was really impressive in practices as a returner.

You were correct Michael Lewis has been cut.

diabsoule
06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
I think David Jones has more potential than DeJuan Groce and I'm glad to see that the latter was released.

Also, it was announced that we have released Michael "Beerman" Lewis and Willie Whitehead.

Sveen
06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm convinced the Saints' backup quarterback is not on the squad yet. Jamie Martin looks old and neither Jason Fife nor Tyler Palko will do. Drew Bledsoe is a definite possibility considering his ties to Sean Payton.

Source: http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/78933.html

Any thoughts on this? If Jamie Martin were to be cut. What alternatives are out there for the backup job?

Auron
06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Source:
Any thoughts on this? If Jamie Martin were to be cut. What alternatives are out there for the backup job?
Wouldn't mind it Blesdoe's a veteran who knows Payton. My only question is if he's willing to come out of retirement to be a backup. Supposedly he didn't handle being benched for Romo very well, although he never spoke out.

Also 7th round pick, Marvin Mitchell has been signed. Link (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3491)
The New Orleans Saints have signed their 2007 seventh-round draft choice linebacker Marvin Mitchell to a three-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis. With the signing, the Saints now have four of their seven picks from the April draft under contract.
Now only Meachem, Bushrod, and Pittman left to sign...

504 to ATL
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Mitchell was made easy because the pick immediately after him was signed like a week ago IIRC.

Auron
06-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Just finished my Marques Colston Highlight Video. I think it's my best one yet.

Link Colston HL Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ0Vmat42Lg)

It's also in my sig as well.

504 to ATL
06-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Niiiiiiiice

Auron
06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Jermon Bushrod signed (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3493).
The New Orleans Saints have signed offensive tackle Jermon Bushrod, one of their two 2007 fourth-round draft choices, to a three-year contract, Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis announced Wednesday.

Only Pittman, and Meachem left.

504 to ATL
06-20-2007, 05:29 PM
actually just Meachem.

WWL says Pittman has agreed to a 3 yr deal.

Auron
06-20-2007, 05:59 PM
actually just Meachem.

WWL says Pittman has agreed to a 3 yr deal.

Wow every pick except 1 signed, and it isn't even July yet. The Front Office is getting right down to business, does any other team have as many picks signed yet? I know the Bears have a couple, but wow huge props to Loomis and Russ Ball.

sadly Meachem will be the most difficult pick to sign, I don't think he'll hold out but it may be a while before he's signed.

504 to ATL
06-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I dont think he will hold out either, because deep down he know he has something to prove and show he was a worthy pick for the first round. Plus the guy is a competitor, and it would be foolish to linger around and create an even larger negative atmosphere surrounding himself.

He will go to camp but hold off on a contract, I can see the front office giving him less than he wants due to his history or background with injuries.

504 to ATL
06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
gotta love that Adidas is teaming up with David Beckham, and Reggie Bush for a commercial titled futbol vs football.

Features the two showing their skills in each sport, even has David dressed in a full Saints uniform.

What is so great about all of this is that David is probably still to this day the most recognized and well know athlete in the world. This will get major publicity for both Reggie Bush and in turn the New Orleans Saints.

We might become the UK's favorite team. Becks is also incredibly popular in Asia which American Football is trying to expand its influence, so here is to a spike in Saints sales.

diabsoule
06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I kind of thinking that might be a little premature thinking the Saints will become Asia's and Europe's top selling teams. But the publicity is always good.

M.O.T.H.
06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
My buddy just got the new Bush's today...

Auron
06-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I saw some pictures from the event, it was pretty cool

Flyboy
06-26-2007, 11:40 PM
My buddy just got the new Bush's today...

Cleats? They are sick.

diabsoule
06-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Well, at least you guys made this thread seem relevant. Reggie Bush's cleats must be hotter than a Paris Hilton handbag.

Flyboy
06-27-2007, 03:06 AM
Well, at least you guys made this thread seem relevant. Reggie Bush's cleats must be hotter than a Paris Hilton handbag.

Have you not seen them? Or his 619 gloves?

Sveen
06-27-2007, 03:58 AM
The Bills and Saints may be interested in adding Tank Johnson before training camp, according to ESPN's John Clayton. ESPN's Matt Mosley says sources close to the Cowboys indicate Dallas may also have interest.

Johnson has knowledge of Bills coordinator Perry Fewell's defense, as Fewell was once the secondary coach in Chicago. A team confident in its playoff chances is more likely to take a flier on Johnson because he's almost certainly going to miss at least the first eight games of the season.

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Sveen
06-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Anyone know where I can see it? :)

504 to ATL
06-27-2007, 05:05 PM
it was on MSN's video homepage yesterday. Other than that you can probably just google search it and im sure tons of sites are hosting it. Heck check Youtube.

504 to ATL
06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Sveen I believe you only posted this for information sake, you dont even want him here, no one does.

Severe character issues, Sean Payton will not risk the chance, the Saints could use an upgrade at the position true, but Tank no way.

Flyboy
06-27-2007, 08:04 PM
No way in hell it happens.

Flyboy
06-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Anyone know where I can see it? :)

I found the pictures on the SaintsReport.com forums.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1331/reggiecleatscw2.jpg

Flyboy
06-27-2007, 08:09 PM
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4258/reggieglovespf9.jpg

TigerBait45
06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
I..doubt it. They may be interested (and they should, hes a hell of a player) but hes risky.

He appeared to have settled down before they cut him, but this guy is trouble.

Auron
06-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I agree they may be interested in continuing to upgrade the D-line, but I don't see any way Payton gambles on a guy with his personal issues. I believe Tank also has to serve an 8 game suspension at the beginning of next season.

bearfan
06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
eh, I doubt he would have any problems w/ any teams this season. Coming in new, he would want a fresh start. So IMO this season wouldnt be a problem

Auron
06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
eh, I doubt he would have any problems w/ any teams this season. Coming in new, he would want a fresh start. So IMO this season wouldnt be a problem

I don't doubt that he'll be on his best behavior, but Coach Payton is huge on bringing in players who are responsible, and who he trusts off the field to make good decisions. During the Draft process he takes off any prospects with red flags regarding character issues on his Draft Board.

We did bring in Walter Thomas as an Undrafted FA so who knows.. but he was cut very quickly.

Flyboy
06-27-2007, 11:16 PM
We did bring in Walter Thomas as an Undrafted FA so who knows.. but he was cut very quickly.

We didn't have to play Thomas anything, though, and he wouldn't have to serve a 8-game suspension. I just can't see Payton going for it.

Sveen
06-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Sveen I believe you only posted this for information sake

Of course. I don't think we will end up signing him, but I have to admit it's a little tempting.

Sveen
06-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Beckham meets Bush:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtwKa55aFuE

Maybe we should sign Beckham to be our kicker and punter :)

Flyboy
06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2920574&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquar elli_len%26id%3d2920574

diabsoule
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
It is slightly tempting for us to sign a solid, young veteran player but I just do not see Sean Payton making that type of decision, especially with a player whose off-field issues have overshadowed his play-making ability on the field. None of the players Payton has brought to New Orleans have had a history of off-field issues and I do not see how he would start now. Although Johnson's salary will be significantly lower considering he has to serve an eight game suspension, I do not think the distraction in the locker room that Tank Johnson would bring would warrant his signing.

While we took a chance on bringing in Walter Thomas the risk we took was minimal. In Johnson's case the risk will be considerably higher in terms of salary, although not by much considering he could only ask for about $300,000 or so, it is the cost of his presence that would considerably raise the risk.

I will more than likely be merging this thread with the Official Saints Discussion thread in a few days.

diabsoule
06-29-2007, 04:04 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2920574&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquar elli_len%26id%3d2920574

I would really be interested in the Saints signing Darwin Walker. I think he could really help out the D-line.

TigerBait45
06-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Well he defeintely couldn't hurt. Depth is depth and theres no denying we could use some.

Auron
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Also on http://espn.go.com/ (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index) there is a Video segment titled "My wish: Devan and Brees". Where Drew Brees helps a little boy with a heart condition make his dream come true by getting a first hand tour of the New Orleans Saints practice facility.

It's a very heartwarming story that I'd recommend all Saints fans to see.

diabsoule
06-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Depth is always a plus on a team that will once again be in the playoff hunt this year, but veteran depth is a commodity that not every team has. If we could sign a player like Darwin Walker who can penetrate the offensive line and either get to the quarterback or disrupt the backfield will benefit us greatly.

diabsoule
06-30-2007, 02:01 AM
Also on http://espn.go.com/ (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index) there is a Video segment titled "My wish: Devan and Brees". Where Drew Brees helps a little boy with a heart condition make his dream come true by getting a first hand tour of the New Orleans Saints practice facility.

I saw the video last night and it is a very heart warming story.

Flyboy
06-30-2007, 02:21 AM

I <3 Drew Brees. Seriously.

diabsoule
06-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Well then, why don't you marry him? :P

Flyboy
06-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Maybe I will!

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
06-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Depth is always a plus on a team that will once again be in the playoff hunt this year, but veteran depth is a commodity that not every team has. If we could sign a player like Darwin Walker who can penetrate the offensive line and either get to the quarterback or disrupt the backfield will benefit us greatly.

Walker has lost a step or two when it comes to quickness and getting into the backfield, and he's always been a pretty one-dimensional player, so I don't know how much of an impact he could make. I wouldn't mind the signing if we could get him for pretty cheap, but I also wouldn't expect too much out of him.

Auron
06-30-2007, 05:13 PM

That was great when the kid's brother said he had a "Cannon ball Arm" and Payton was like It's been a while since we had a cannon arm around here. :D

diabsoule
07-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Walker has lost a step or two when it comes to quickness and getting into the backfield, and he's always been a pretty one-dimensional player, so I don't know how much of an impact he could make. I wouldn't mind the signing if we could get him for pretty cheap, but I also wouldn't expect too much out of him.

Maybe it's because I haven't seen Darwin Walker play too much but I don't see how he's lost a step, but either which way, he'd be an upgrade over most of the players we have on the defensive side of the ball. Between him, Hollis Thomas, Brian Young, and Kendrick Clancy, our rotation would be pretty damn good.

diabsoule
07-01-2007, 10:52 PM
I do have to say that after looking around at some of the other team boards, this thread is probably the most organized team board.

Thanks everyone for putting everything in the right place and not making new threads out of the slightest Saints info.

Auron
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
My bad Double Post

Auron
07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
I do have to say that after looking around at some of the other team boards, this thread is probably the most organized team board.

Thanks everyone for putting everything in the right place and not making new threads out of the slightest Saints info.
I was thinking the same thing. I think we have a great group of Saints fans here, mostly all of us respect each other and can handle disagreements in a reasonable manner. Everyone keeps the forum very organized as well.

Auron
07-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Signed Dhani Jones to a 1 year deal, not sure what to think of this yet.

On one hand he was very underwhelming last year starting with the Eagles but he can provide depth, bring some competition for Shanle, and contribute on Special teams.

Flyboy
07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Good depth signing.

Go_Eagles77
07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
He was a big reason you guys destroyed us running with Deuce McAllister last year

Auron
07-05-2007, 11:09 PM
He was a big reason you guys destroyed us running with Deuce McAllister last year
Well Dhani will probably be a backup, if he does have to play it will likely be at the WILL spot, so he can move around in space and not have to take on a lot of blocks which was his main problem from what I hear.

diabsoule
07-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Well Dhani will probably be a backup, if he does have to play it will likely be at the WILL spot, so he can move around in space and not have to take on a lot of blocks which was his main problem from what I hear.

I guess Simoneau will be the backup MLB in that case, which I don't like. I think he's more suited for Will.

Auron
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I guess Simoneau will be the backup MLB in that case, which I don't like. I think he's more suited for Will.

Yeah Simoneau most likely will be the primary backup MLB (unless he beats out Simmons in camp), but I believe he can step in at any of the 3 LB spots if needed, but I agree ideally he's suited for being a WILL.

It's weird but we really don't have a true MIKE LB, since Simmons played mostly on the Weak Side in Cincy most of his career and stepped in at Middle because of injuries. Which makes me wonder what we have in Marvin Mitchell, because he has MLB qualities but I wonder if he has the ability to be a starter in this league.

TigerBait45
07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
To be fair, I think most of us thought the same about Marques Colston last year.

saintsfan912
07-06-2007, 04:20 PM
From all the pub he gets from being a great guy, I think this brings a tremendous locker room presence. If not productive on the field, he certainly will be off of it. Thoughts?

Auron
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
To be fair, I think most of us thought the same about Marques Colston last year.
True, in the sense that they were both 7th rounders who weren't expected to contribute much if anything at all. However there are some differences Colston came from a small school which led him to be largely overlooked. Mitchell on the other hand comes from a big time program, Tennessee. He had a career high 104 tackles last season, and was a Defensive leader. However there are questions about his speed. Does he have enough athleticism to be more than just a 2 down run thumper?

So far I've only heard good reports about him in Minis and OTAs, about how he was instinctive and able to cover backs and tight ends effectively. I guess we'll see in training camp how he fares...

I will say this though... with the signing of Jones we should have some serious battles in Camp at the Linebacker spots. Guys like Wade Koehl, Trev Faulk, Troy Evans, Alfred Fincher, Desmond Sims, and Mitchell are going to have their work cut out for them trying to fill out the final roster spots.

TigerBait45
07-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I suppose thats true. We'll see how he fairs.

Flyboy
07-06-2007, 08:56 PM
From all the pub he gets from being a great guy, I think this brings a tremendous locker room presence. If not productive on the field, he certainly will be off of it. Thoughts?

Or at the very worst, special teams.

Auron
07-12-2007, 02:15 PM
The Saints won an ESPY award for Best Moment in sports this past year for their Monday Night Victory in the re-opening of the Super Dome. Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Will Smith, and Scott Fujita were on hand to receive the award.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070712/ap_on_sp_ot/espy_awards)
The best moment award went to the New Orleans Saints, who returned to the Superdome for the first time since Hurricane Katrina and defeated the Atlanta Falcons on "Monday Night Football."

Pictures from the event
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/75367078.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193550E821156FDE612888E6D125491D978

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/75367815.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193550E821156FDE612246F733738165531

diabsoule
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
The Saints have the 8th best offensive line by Scouts, Inc.

8. New Orleans Saints
The Saints had the best passing offense in the NFL at better than 281 yards per game, thanks in large part to the fact that they gave up just 23 sacks in 2006. However, they are well below average in the rushing department at just 3.7 yards per carry. Left tackle Jammal Brown is becoming a quality tackle entering his third year, and fifth-year right tackle Jon Stinchcomb gives the Saints a very good pair of bookends. Guards Jahri Evans and Jamar Nesbit and center Jeff Faine are more than adequate but hardly Pro Bowl-caliber, though as a group they do a respectable job of combining strength and athleticism to protect quarterback Drew Brees, who is not the most mobile quarterback in the league. They could stand to add some more power up front to give them stronger run blocking.

Auron
07-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I'd say that's a pretty fair ranking. Drew Brees' pocket presence and quick release mask a lot of the lines weaknesses but it also goes both ways they are a very capable pass protecting line. I agree the overall run blocking effort needs to improve, but we return all 5 of last years starters and drafted extra competition. So they should get better in that department just from the experience of playing together alone. Also Reggie Bush's negative yardage plays from early on in the season when he was struggling skewed the rushing statistics a bit. As he becomes a more experienced runner the rushing totals will definitely improve.

Sveen
07-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports The Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation has sent a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell seeking to host the NFL Draft. There are plans to make the event into a weeklong carnival with special events and even a Mardi Gras-style parade leading up to the NFL Draft. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is "committed to Radio City for next year's draft. Then we will review our options, including the possibility of taking the draft to other locations."

Source: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

diabsoule
07-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Source: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

That'd be awesome if that would happen.

PACKmanN
07-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Is it true that Meachem is out for 4-6 weeks?

Auron
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Is it true that Meachem is out for 4-6 weeks?

That's old news now. ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2892754) Over a month ago he underwent an arthroscopic surgery to clean out his knee. The latest reports are that he's going to be ready for Training Camp.

504 to ATL
07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
in a perfect world we would get both Briggs and Asante, got some cap left who knows how we are going to work our magic.

Auron
07-19-2007, 06:19 PM
It's been pretty dead in here guess we're all waiting for Training Camp.

I started writing a Saints Blog. My first write up is a 2007 Training Camp Preview, I wrote about the main positional battles and gave some predictions on who I thought would make the cut. Check it out!

http://saintsauron.blogspot.com/

Flyboy
07-21-2007, 01:24 AM
That's what I'm talking about, Auron. Good work, man.

Auron
07-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for reading.

NFC Training Camp Questions at theSporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=241913).
The Saints already have put 2006 behind them. At the urging of assistant head coach/linebackers Joe Vitt, they staged a New Orleans-style jazz funeral at the end of their offseason workouts and buried the memories and accolades. The message: Finishing one game short of the Super Bowl wasn't good enough. The team will need to invest the same amount of work and effort, if not more, in camp this summer to take the next step.

"It's about recognizing that this is a whole new year," says Loomis.

504 to ATL
07-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Im surprised no one has mentioned the signing of Meachem yet. 5 year deal, I forget the details right now but I believe 5 mill in guarantees.

Auron
07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Im surprised no one has mentioned the signing of Meachem yet. 5 year deal, I forget the details right now but I believe 5 mill in guarantees.

Yeah I just found out, (was at work all day)

ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2947333)

Meachem agreed Tuesday morning to the deal, which could max out at $11.3 million. Included in it is $5.71 million in guaranteed money. The contract and the guarantees came in at more than eight percent better than the 27th pick in last year's NFL draft.

So I guess that means we're the first team to have all of our Draft picks signed? WooHoo!! now everyone can just come into camp and focus on Football.

Sveen
07-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Pittsburgh and San Diego finished before us, but we came in third (which isn't bad) ;)

Auron
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Pittsburgh and San Diego finished before us, but we came in third (which isn't bad) ;)

Dang it, I haven't been keeping up with their signings. Basically I thought either us, or the Bears would finish all of them. Either way 3rd isn't too shabby.

diabsoule
07-24-2007, 05:36 PM
This is great to go into camp with all of our picks signed. Have we ever done that before?

Auron
07-24-2007, 11:11 PM
So training camp in a day, Hall of Fame game August 5th. What are some of your general thoughts for the upcoming season guys?

Personally I've been really mixed lately. One day I wake up thinking this is finally our year and we have a great shot at having a Super Bowl Caliber team, and then the next day I fear that we might suffer a slight let down with the high expectations. I've been going back and forth.

Flyboy
07-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Personally I've been really mixed lately. One day I wake up thinking this is finally our year and we have a great shot at having a Super Bowl Caliber team, and then the next day I fear that we might suffer a slight let down with the high expectations. I've been going back and forth.

Man, same here. It feels so weird going into a season with high expectations and goals with anything less of a NFCCG or Super Bowl appearance is a disappointment.. I wonder how recent Eagles, Colts, & Patriots do it, but at the same time it's a good feeling. I'm going to just sit back and watch the season unfold... pre-season doesn't mean TOO much to me but it will be a good barometer of how our younger players/rookies perform. No injuries. *crosses fingers*

Auron
07-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Man, same here. It feels so weird going into a season with high expectations and goals with anything less of a NFCCG or Super Bowl appearance is a disappointment.. I wonder how recent Eagles, Colts, & Patriots do it, but at the same time it's a good feeling. I'm going to just sit back and watch the season unfold... pre-season doesn't mean TOO much to me but it will be a good barometer of how our younger players/rookies perform. No injuries. *crosses fingers*
Strange thing for me is that we're in much better hands coming into this season then we were in 2000 coming off the 10-6 year with our first Playoff victory.The coaching staff is dedicated, the players are unselfish, and team oriented, but I still can't shake the nervous feeling. I might have to re-watch the Dallas game again that always makes me feel better. :D

I'm not guessing we'll see much in pre-season, If I recall correctly Saints looked terrible last Pre-Season and it didn't mean much of anything when the Season began. Starters will probably only play a handful of series's. Although it's going to be really interesting to see the new guys like David, Kaesviharn, Eric Johnson, Clancy and some of the Rookies on the field in a Saints uni for the first time.

Flyboy
07-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I might have to re-watch the Dallas game again that always makes me feel better. :D

Word, man. That's the one game that was just... bananas. Being from Texas originally, that was just great because I really despise the Cowboys or rather.. the Cowboys fans that I used to come in contact with on a daily basis.

And, even though I was devastated and disappointed after this game... I can always watch Bush's catch/run against the Bears to get pumped for the upcoming season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12Ndr-j9UQ

TigerBait45
07-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Honestly, I never go into a season with high expectations. I know thats a bad thing to say, but when you grow up with the Saints its kind of an instinct.

I half expect a good year, but part of me is afraid that they'll fall flat on their face and end up with a top 10 draft pick. ON paper, the NFC is wide open, and with the offense that the Saints bring to the table they should be one of the favorites.

Auron
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12Ndr-j9UQ
The Bush reception in the NFC Championship was ridiculous, definitely one of the top 5 plays of our season. I have a hard time putting it above the Blocked punt, but I think it was definitely his best individual play of the year. You know Bush started slow adjusting to the NFL, but the final month of the season he really came on. The last 5 games of the season he was averaging 5.1 YPC, and had 7 TDs from scrimmage. I think he's going to keep improving with experience in every game he plays.

Honestly, I never go into a season with high expectations. I know thats a bad thing to say, but when you grow up with the Saints its kind of an instinct.

I half expect a good year, but part of me is afraid that they'll fall flat on their face and end up with a top 10 draft pick. ON paper, the NFC is wide open, and with the offense that the Saints bring to the table they should be one of the favorites.
Yeah I see what you're saying man. No matter how good we may look on paper, I'll always be cautious maybe because of the ghosts of our past. Facing Indy should be a good first test to see where we're at.

TigerBait45
07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
I think its just a cautionary reaction so I don't get too frustrated. That way I can always say "Hey, I knew this would happen."

Auron
07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Steve Gleason placed on Injured Reserve. NewOrleansSaints.Com (http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2007/7/Gleason%20on%20IR.aspx)
The Saints announced Wednesday that they have placed safety Steve Gleason on the Reserve/Injured list. Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis announced the roster move that rules Gleason out for the 2007 season.

I'll miss the intensity he brought on Special Teams.. This might open the door for either Chris Reis, or Curry Burns to earn a spot on the team.

504 to ATL
07-26-2007, 12:53 AM
So is anyone here going to TC at some point?

Can someone keep us updated with reports, insider observations, and videos if at all possible? Thanks I am so ready I need all the details I can get.

diabsoule
07-26-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm going to miss Steve Gleason running all over the field on special teams this season with his hair flowing all over the place.

504 to ATL
07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
So did you guys see todays running regiment? The had a video on the team's website, looked somewhat brutal for the first day.

Auron
07-26-2007, 10:46 PM
So is anyone here going to TC at some point?

Can someone keep us updated with reports, insider observations, and videos if at all possible? Thanks I am so ready I need all the details I can get.

I've been thinking of trying to make it but I don't know if I'll be able to with my schedule.

There should be a lot of Training Camp reports from posters on SaintsReport, WhoDatZone, I'd also check the Official Saints Site and WWL.com daily.

I'll do my best to keep updated blog entries, (link in my sig) Today they just ran a conditioning test. Tomorrow they'll run 2 Full Pad practices.

Flyboy
07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Credit to Frank The Rat at SaintsReport.com:

"Take a look at these three pictures. I took this back to back to back. Shows how fast Reggie is. First picture Kevin Kaesviharn is getting into coverage with Reggie approaching. Second picture Kevin is right there with Reggie. Third Picture Reggie is already a yard past him. These pictures are taken a second apart."

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1064/reggiekevin1ge4.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2233/reggiekevin2jo5.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1934/reggiekevin3yy4.jpg

Auron
07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah great Photos Flyboy thanks for posting. Haven't been around lately, but here's what I gathered from Saints training camp so far. There have been 3 days of practices thus far. These aren't my own observations just points I've gathered from reading various forums, blogs, and sites.

- Reggie will be spectacular this year he's just making Linebackers look silly and is more decisive in his running, he might even be faster this season if that's humanly possibly. :eek:

- The surprise of camp thus far has been David Patten. He's a very precise, experienced route runner, and catches the ball well seems like him and Brees have developed a repertoire.

- One player that is constantly impressing among practice observers is new CB Jason David, he's hustling on every play and making amazing pass deflections. He moved into the 1st team practices today, so while it may be a bit premature I'll go out and say he's my best bet for being our #2 CB. :)

- Deuce is in great shape. He's leaner, and slimmer, and it appears he has some extra burst back in his step so the ACL should no longer be a concern. (Defenses will fear the home run threat from Reggie, but Deuce's speed might surprise some this year) Actually everyone besides Hollis Thomas seems to be in excellent condition, and even he's pushing himself.

- Just because Grant got a big pay day does not mean he's going to slack off and cash in his chips. He's going all out, and practicing as hard as anyone.

- Meachem has looked alright, at times it looks like he's thinking too much and still trying to get caught up to speed, but the coaches are working hard with him to get him up to pace.

2 last notes from Sunday's practice sessions. There was one play where Colston made a spectacular "Behind the Back 1 Handed" Catch.. which made the crowd go absolutely wild. Also Usama Young was finally in, and he read and diagnosed a route perfectly made the Interception for a Pick 6. I'm about to explode waiting for the season to start, I get more pumped with every report I read. :D

Flyboy
07-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Haha, yeah, I've been reading ALL I can Auron... trust me! Man, Bush.. faster? Oh Jesus.. can't wait.

trkaline
07-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Reggie Bush is one of the first players ever to have that much hype and I wouldnt consider over hyped....you cant over hype this guy he's that good and I look forward to him setting records on ESPN highlights ths year...

Auron
07-30-2007, 01:46 AM
May be just me... but outside of Saints fan circles I haven't heard too much Bush "hype" lately. (Maybe because I don't watch much ESPN though) I actually believe there is a majority of people that think he's a bit overrated as a runner. I hope he proves them wrong this year.

and yeah I'm counting down the days until the Hall of Fame game. Here's some more pictures from Camp. Full Credit goes to SaintRob on SaintsReport.com these are his pictures.

( A leaner, meaner Deuce Mac)
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4606/deuce1cp7.png

(Bush making a leaping catch, McKenzie in coverage. Reggie should be utilized in a ton of different ways this season and I think he'll get more action at WR. I have a feeling he'll be doing a lot more "Grown man stuff" this season. :D)
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9061/1regam7.png

(Brees airing it out)
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/845/drewkv6.png

(5'8 David, vs. 6'4 Colston looks like a pretty big mismatch but Jason can hold his own)
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4163/colston2pn8.png

(Colston looking like a man amongst Boys)
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1299/colstonpt1.png

trkaline
07-30-2007, 01:53 AM
To be real hes the most versatile player to come out of college in years.. on the offense he can play any position and that leaves the Saints with options,,,

diabsoule
07-30-2007, 11:33 PM
I am so excited about this season. I really can't wait to hear more about how Usama Young is doing. Also, any news about David Jones?

Auron
07-30-2007, 11:57 PM
I am so excited about this season. I really can't wait to hear more about how Usama Young is doing. Also, any news about David Jones?

First bad news of Camp came today.. when DE Rob Ninkovich was carted off the field with a knee injury. It was said that he was in excruciating pain. Payton said after practice they are optmistic the injury isn't too serious. There will be a report tomorrow morning on his condition.

I know that Usama did impress some people who saw him at camp he's had a couple of Interceptions. One yesterday I read about where he anticipated the route the receiver was going to run and just made a break on it and took it back for a TD. As for David Jones, I haven't read too much about him. I guess he's doing OK but not really standing out. I'm sure we'll hear more about them both as Camp goes on.

Flyboy
07-31-2007, 12:33 AM
LSSpam's recaps at SaintsReport are what make my day.

Auron
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah I try to read everyones reports but his are the most detailed, and organized.

I believe Ninkovich only has a sprained MCL and it shouldn't be nearly as serious as last years injury. UPDATE: He's out 4 weeks. LINK (http://www.beloblog.com/WWLTV_Blogs/eyeonthesaints/2007/07/payton_ninkovich_out_for_4_wee.html)

saintsfan912
07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
I hear Anwar Phillips is doing damn well in camp. This is coming from the Times in New Orleans. Kid looks good from what they say, hopefully he can translate it into the real games.

Auron
08-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I've read Anwar was doing ok, he made some solid plays over the past few practices.

However I'm hearing more great impressions about Jason David, and Usama Young lately. Especially Usama I think he's had an impressive Interception for 3 days in a row.

TigerBait45
08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Man I love to hear that.

Sveen
08-02-2007, 04:45 AM
Saints | Ghent signed
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:44:38 -0700

Dave Lawrence, of NewOrleansSaints.com, reports the New Orleans Saints have signed free-agent TE Ronnie Ghent (Bengals). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Saints | Scharff signed
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:43:36 -0700

Dave Lawrence, of NewOrleansSaints.com, reports the New Orleans Saints have signed free-agent DE Scott Scharff (Saints). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Saints | Legree placed on IR
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:43:22 -0700

Dave Lawrence, of NewOrleansSaints.com, reports New Orleans Saints DT Lance Legree (knee) has been placed on Injured Reserve, ending his 2007 season.

Saints | Hamm waived
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:13:00 -0700

The Associated Press reports the New Orleans Saints have waived DE Jonathan Hamm.

Flyboy
08-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Rhema McKnight has been cut.

Sveen
08-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Signed: Chris Jackson (WR) and Tim Duckworth (OG).
Released: Rhema McNight (WR) and Wes Sims (OG).

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2007/08/thursday_evening_update.html

Auron
08-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Article on our Defensive Ends. NOLA.com (http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/sports-12/118609378679740.xml&storylist=nola_sports)

Will Smith, and Charles Grant have very high expectations this year for themselves. As they should they are becoming one of the Elite DE tandems in this league.

Thought this one part in particular was very interesting..
Smith said he and Grant will have more say in what schemes they run on passing downs this season. For instance, they will be allowed to call their own moves.

"They're letting us go a little more and kind of do our own thing, you know, which gives us a lot more opportunity to make big plays and get sacks," Smith said.
Seems like the Coaching staff is at a level where they can trust these guys to make their own calls and let them be utilized however they feel best fits their skills, in certain situations.

Flyboy
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I read that last part too last night, Auron. I actually got chills and went, "Oh ****!" I'm trying SO hard not to get too hyped for the upcoming season, but damn.. it's hard NOT to.

diabsoule
08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I was hoping McKnight would have made the team. It seemed that he possessed a skill set that Payton likes in his receivers. Oh well, though, I'm sure we'll field the best players for the position.

TigerBait45
08-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Aw man I was really rooting for Rhema. I always thought he was the better receiver than Samardzija or however you spell it but he got overshadowed.

I guess its tough to crack a depth chart with so many talented guys though.

Auron
08-04-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm not sure how correct this is, but there are rumors that Rhema didn't respond well to criticism and talked back to Receivers Coach Curtis Johnson. Which didn't go over very well for an UDFA.

On a separate note can't believe the HOF Game is tomorrow.

Flyboy
08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I know Auron. Kinda crazy. *prays for no injuries*

TigerBait45
08-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Woah, it is isn't it?

I completely forgot. Man, the season's coming up fast. College football polls came out yesterday and tomorrow we have a preseason game.

diabsoule
08-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm really looking forward to Sunday. My two favorite teams start off the pre-season. I can't wait.

Auron
08-07-2007, 11:20 AM
About some of the worst possible news imaginable for today.

Left Tackle Jammal Brown was carted off the field after suffering what looked to be a serious knee injury. I'm waiting until the official report comes out but it doesn't look good at all. :(

Link 1 (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/8966897.html)
Link 2 - WWL (http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl080707tpbrown.ee57c48.html)

JACKSON, Miss. -- The New Orleans Saints suffered a potentially devastating blow to their high-powered offense this morning when All-Pro left tackle Jammal Brown went down with an injury to his right knee.

Brown, a third-year pro, was carted off with his jersey over his face after trainers worked on him for about five minutes.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
About some of the worst possible news imaginable for today.

Left Tackle Jammal Brown was carted off the field after suffering what looked to be a serious knee injury. I'm waiting until the official report comes out but it doesn't look good at all. :(

Link 1 (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/8966897.html)
Link 2 - WWL (http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl080707tpbrown.ee57c48.html)

This. Sucks.

Flyboy
08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Someone... hold me. :( Auron?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Well... it's not looking too great.

I'd like to see us try to persuade Willie Roaf to un-retire and end his career with one last season in New Orleans. Otherwise, we're pretty much screwed...

Auron
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Someone... hold me. :( Auron?

In Payton's press conference he sounded confident, and said there was some stability in the knee.

...which at this point is something. I believe he's having an MRI and we'll know the exact degree of the injury later this afternoon.

Flyboy
08-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Well... it's not looking too great.

I'd like to see us try to persuade Willie Roaf to un-retire and end his career with one last season in New Orleans. Otherwise, we're pretty much screwed...

Zach Strief played well against Julius Peppers and also played well against Tampa Bay so I'm not ready to get ready for a Top 10 pick quite yet. However, it does suck major ass and is a huge blow & loss to us. :(

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
08-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Zach Strief played well against Julius Peppers and also played well against Tampa Bay so I'm not ready to get ready for a Top 10 pick quite yet. However, it does suck major ass and is a huge blow & loss to us. :(

And where did I say that we're going to have a Top 10 pick?

We're screwed because Strief would (obviously) be a major downgrade at LT, and even without comparing him to Brown I'm not sure he's a guy I'd want protecting the blind side of my relatively fragile franchise QB. Clearly, the more hits Brees takes, the greater chances are of him getting hurt, and I'd say with great confidence that, without Jammal Brown, Brees will face considerably more pressure than he did last season. If Drew gets hurt, then yeah --- we could have a top 10 pick. All this without mentioning the impact this could have on the run game.

I hope and pray that Jammal's injury is nothing major, but it's really not sounding too good. I have a feeling we could persuade Roaf out of retirement to come play for the Saints again, and I REALLY hope we try doing so if Brown's going to be out for a considerable period of time. Even at 37 years old, he's far and away the best option out there.

Flyboy
08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Early reports is that it's just a bone bruise.

I'm trying not to rejoice too much.

TigerBait45
08-07-2007, 05:42 PM
..I think I might dance like MC Hammer I'm so happy.

Auron
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I think we dodged a major bullet here. Glad to find out it was only a bone bruise, honestly it sounded so much worse when it was first reported.

I got called into work in the middle of the day so I was worried about the news all day.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
08-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Thank The Lord!

diabsoule
08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I am so happy that Jammal Brown didn't seriously injure his knee. We would've been in trouble if he would have.

Flyboy
08-08-2007, 04:26 PM
"WWLTV.com staffer reports that linebacker Scott Fujita was seen on crutches and with his right foot taped up as the team returned from a morning excursion to a local water park. Details to come."

Sean Payton can't win for losing. Practice them hard? Brown gets injured. Day at the WATER PARK? Fujita is injured. Hopefully, it's just a sprain. I'm glad he was just taped up instead of a cask.

Auron
08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Saints released LB Trev Faulk, and WR Dante Ridgeway per Rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL).

diabsoule
08-09-2007, 02:18 AM
I kind of had some hope for Trev Faulk. Donte Ridgeway was just a camp body.

And it's a good thing we signed Dhani Jones in case the Fujita happens to be a little more serious than first thought.

JoeMontainya
08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I heard Brees has been finding him early and often durring the offseason pass drills. Do you think he will be a good go to guy for Brees like Gates was?

What do you think are his projected stats this season?
Worth drafting in fantasy football?
How has he looked in preseason so far etc...?

thanks guys and good luck on the year.

TigerBait45
08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
If he stays healthy hes potentially a top 3 or 4 tight end I'd imagine. Hes a very talented player but he always seems to get hurt.

He was very good in San Francisco. He had an 80 cactch 800+ yard season not too long ago.

Auron
08-21-2007, 08:36 PM
He's been a reliable target over the middle. He has good hands, runs routes well, and can find the weak spots in the Defense well. He's looked a lot better as a blocker than people give him credit for in training camp.

I think he'll put up solid numbers, but not amazing numbers especially in this Offense with so many other targets.

saintstoon
08-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey,

I'm doing a Saints cartoon blog. I'll post a new one after game. You can see a few I did this preseason here (http://www.saintstoon.com).

Anyway I'm having alot of fun with it. Hope you enjoy it.

soybean
08-27-2007, 09:17 PM
not bad artwork but it's not really funny... if you work a little on your jokes, should be a hit.

saintstoon
08-27-2007, 09:17 PM
With our offense - he should be good. He would still be in San Francisco if Vernon Davis didn't come along.

Auron
08-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Pretty cool idea, welcome to NFLDC.

Modano
09-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey Saints fans, which are your expectations on Meachem? Do you think he's gonna push for a starting job during this season?

Flyboy
09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey Saints fans, which are your expectations on Meachem? Do you think he's gonna push for a starting job during this season?

More than likely not -- if anything, this will be a "redshirt year" for Meachem. However, if we have some injuries and once he is fully healthy and has the system down, then it's a possibility.

saintstoon
09-06-2007, 12:59 AM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/artpowers/2007-09-04.gif I plan to do a halftime cartoon as well as one after the game.