PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

saintstoon
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Just updated my blog with a new cartoon for halftime!

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry, guys. That was a tough way to start the season.

I did see some positives, though.

The DL looked pretty good, considering who they were playing.
Bush looked ok.

McAllister is quicker than I remeber him being.

I dont think Colston is a one year wonder.

Thats pretty much it. I wanted to give yall a pep talk, cause there is plenty of games left to turn it around.

Auron
09-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Well it was just 1 game out of 16, all be it a terrible one.

Colston looked like the only consistent receiver out there tonight, he didn't have any huge plays but at least he caught what was thrown to him. Neither Deuce, nor Reggie could get into a rhythm.

Disagree on the D-line though they got manhandled at the point of attack. I was really expecting big nights out of Charles Grant, and Will Smith but they came up short in a big way, and we didn't get much of a push up the middle either.

In the NFL you have to forget and move on quickly, I think this team can do that.. at least I hope so.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-06-2007, 11:55 PM
After looking at your post, I have to agree the D line didnt look that good. But I still thought the DE's got a push. That is saying something, cause the Indy O-line is not a bunch of chumps, by anymeans.

ChefMike
09-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I am not being negative but watching the game it looked like 2 different saints teams out there from the one that finished the season last year to this year..

I think that the O-Line looked a little shaky overall. Drew is the one that never really got into a rhythm Deuce and Reggie looked fine with the ball in their hand but Drew wasn't managing the Offense. The defense was porous and was weak at the point of attack. Yes its only 1 game but when people were out there predicting that this is a preview of the Super Bowl ? The Defense needs to step up and show some heart and destroy the next team that stands in front of them in order to shake this blow out.

I know that the Offense will be there no doubts about that..

tylerb929
09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I did see some positives, though.

Hey, the Saints have the #2 ranked offense in the NFL...... or atleast until Sunday.

Just kidding, seriously, what could be expected of the Superbowl Champs opening game, dropping the banner, national televised, at home. The Saints will turn things around, the Colts just always come out firing (9-0 last year, 13-0 the year before). You guys will make some adjustments, give David some over the top help, over fire him either way ("No-take-backs", you gave up a 4th rounder for him square and fair).

iloxygenil
09-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey, I'm not going to lie, the Saints are a good football team, but that defense is going to be your weakness...that and if Reggie Bush keeps stealing carries away from Deuce. I'm not saying don't give him the ball, but let him be a WR like he was last year, he doesn't have the vision or toughness for RB in the NFL, and he made that point last night talking about not fighting for yards, getting down ASAP and he said he's scared of fumbling, well that's where the problem starts, if you're afraid of it, not just aware of it, you're going to cough up the ball more often.

The Saints are not the team that played last night, you guys have nothing to worry about, basically it was another pre-season game for you guys and you weren't ready to get smacked in the mouth like that, next week you will be and your season is going to turn around very quick.

I hate to say it but I think now the Saints will be MUCH tougher after taking that beating than they were before it. Here are some of the things I saw in the game.

Yes, your DL is awful, BUT you have 2 guys who can make it to the pro bowl from DE, you just happened to run into the best offensive line in football...nothing you can really judge from that, that OL is just plain nasty. The problem I saw was your DT not getting ANY push, that's not going to bode well for you guys. Your DEs can get all the rush they want, but until your DTs can force runs to the outside into your insanely good DEs, it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't worry about you know who's cornerback play last night, that was Reggie Wayne making him look stupid, not Adam Jennings...it should just make him more focused for the rest of the year. I mean Peyton's pump gets everyone, so it's not like he's a terrible player, he just has to keep his head out of the backfield on man coverage. Even if he doesn't you wont see a pump fake that good except from Carson Palmer.

Offensively, Colston is just a monster, he's not a gamebreaker, but man alive the kid is strong and has wonderful hands. That one diving / leaping whatever that was he did catch over the middle last night showed me everything I could ever want to see from a WR. Great catch using only his hands, and no fear, none whatsoever. The position he put himself in could have gotten him killed if a LB was in the right place, but he didn't care he just knew he had to catch the ball...Wow...stellar player.

RBs:
Deuce wasn't given the rock enough to get anything going. Force feed him up the middle of that defense and make the Colts play the run, not the dance that Reggie does. As long as Payton feels the pressure to give Reggie the ball as a RB that many times a game, you'll never have a consistent offense. Bush isn't a great runningback, he's not even a good runningback, he lacks vision and tries to wait for something to open up, news flash, you played in the worst conference in college football on one of the best teams in college football. He hasn't shown an adjustment to the speed of the NFL at this point and that's not a good thing. But Deuce is a monster and if he's given enough touches and Reggie is used as a WR out of the backfield like last year, as well as a WR in the slot...with Deuce pounding it 20-25 times a game, you guys are going to be real REAL tough.

Your offensive line wasn't as good as I remember it being...because that colts pass rush isn't that great...Mathis is a good situational rusher, but Freeny isn't what he's cracked up to be either, one move wonder. But your LT (forgot his name) looked pretty amazing on a few nice moves from him just pounding him into submission. I'd love to have a LT that could do that in ATL.

QB: Drew Brees...well we saw that he has that itchy trigger finger, and wants to beat someone deep even if it isn't there, he took a lot of things last night but he tried to force too much too...if people can cover up your WRs deep, look out because wow...he's going to try to make something happen. Your TE though...that guy is a monster, bouncing people off like nothin, really like the way he played last night.

tylerb929
09-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Your offensive line wasn't as good as I remember it being...because that colts pass rush isn't that great...Mathis is a good situational rusher, but Freeny isn't what he's cracked up to be either, one move wonder. But your LT (forgot his name) looked pretty amazing on a few nice moves from him just pounding him into submission. I'd love to have a LT that could do that in ATL.

Woah, rewatch that game. The offensive line was just plain poor last night, and the Colts pass rush is probably one of the top 5 in the league. Freeney man handled Jammal Brown, he was in the back field on almost every play (and was getting held quite often, even Madden saw it).

I probably shouldn't go into the "Freeney isn't what he's cracked up to be" but...... I have to. He averaged just under 13 sacks a season in his first 4 seasons. Last year he was injured and the Colts were run on consistently, yet he still had the most QB pressures out of any DE in the league. Out of every DE in the league he has allowed the least yards per carry to his side, now thats a hard stat to record, but basicly how that works is if its inside the tackle its the DT job so it only counts sweeps and stretches, still thats his assignment in Cover 2 and he does it quite well.

The game was won last night in the trenches. The Colts D-line didn't give Brees enough time to get it down field, and they stopped the run. The Colts O-line gave Manning time and ran the ball at will (even the rookie Ugoh looked good).

iloxygenil
09-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Woah, rewatch that game. The offensive line was just plain poor last night, and the Colts pass rush is probably one of the top 5 in the league. Freeney man handled Jammal Brown, he was in the back field on almost every play (and was getting held quite often, even Madden saw it).

I probably shouldn't go into the "Freeney isn't what he's cracked up to be" but...... I have to. He averaged just under 13 sacks a season in his first 4 seasons. Last year he was injured and the Colts were run on consistently, yet he still had the most QB pressures out of any DE in the league. Out of every DE in the league he has allowed the least yards per carry to his side, now thats a hard stat to record, but basicly how that works is if its inside the tackle its the DT job so it only counts sweeps and stretches, still thats his assignment in Cover 2 and he does it quite well.

The game was won last night in the trenches. The Colts D-line didn't give Brees enough time to get it down field, and they stopped the run. The Colts O-line gave Manning time and ran the ball at will (even the rookie Ugoh looked good).
I just don't see the Colts having a top 5 pass rush. Mathis is a GREAT situational rusher, but I mean consistent on every down and distance, not just the 3rd and longs. I saw Jamaal MAUL Freeney on more than one occasion, I didn't see the entire game, just a little bit of it, so I was just going on what I saw. I just think Freeney gets too much love, his sack numbers have been coming down after that one monster season. I just don't think he's as great as people say he is. He has 1 move, and yes, it's a DARN good one, but man, if you can learn to defend that, which a lot of teams did last year...then he's going to get killed all night.

marks01234
09-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I thought the Saints DL looked pretty bad. They were going against a rookie LT and couldn't record one sack on a pure pocket passing QB. They didn't even get close.

At this point, Bush shouldn't get any handoffs unless they are coming off a reverse from the slot.

Colston and Brees are very good players.

diabsoule
09-07-2007, 05:40 PM
This can go in the Official Saints Discussion Thread.

tylerb929
09-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I just don't see the Colts having a top 5 pass rush. Mathis is a GREAT situational rusher, but I mean consistent on every down and distance, not just the 3rd and longs. I saw Jamaal MAUL Freeney on more than one occasion, I didn't see the entire game, just a little bit of it, so I was just going on what I saw. I just think Freeney gets too much love, his sack numbers have been coming down after that one monster season. I just don't think he's as great as people say he is. He has 1 move, and yes, it's a DARN good one, but man, if you can learn to defend that, which a lot of teams did last year...then he's going to get killed all night.

The problem is, they do what the system asks them to. Freeney has much more than one move, if you watched him, you'd see. And the fact that he led the NFL in QB pressures last year (with teams running non stop and playing while injured) proves that he has not been "figured out".

joercky
09-10-2007, 07:32 AM
This quote comes from Jim Mora and perfectly sums up the 'Aint's game.

Well, what happened was, that second game, we got our ass kicked. In the second half, we just got our ass totally kicked. We couldnít do diddley poo offensively, we couldnít make a first down, we couldnít run the ball, we didnít try to run the ball, we couldnít complete a pass - we sucked. The second half, we sucked. We couldn't stop the run. Every time they got the ball, they went down and got points. We got our ass totally kicked in the second half - that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Horseshit. Iím totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our ass kicked in that second half. It sucked. It stunk.

diabsoule
09-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm just trying to understand what went wrong from last year to this year. We have the same talent we had last year and even added some guys who can come in and help get it done yet we are 0-2 and things do not look. I know we as fans can think of some things that we could do but I'm wondering what the coaching staff has planned. Something has got to give.

Auron
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm just trying to understand what went wrong from last year to this year. We have the same talent we had last year and even added some guys who can come in and help get it done yet we are 0-2 and things do not look. I know we as fans can think of some things that we could do but I'm wondering what the coaching staff has planned. Something has got to give.

I think our players just aren't mentally in the game at all times. There has to be a major lack of focus, effort, confidence at this point..which is causing the players to not execute up to their ability; and it's not something you can just single out 2 or 3 players for... it's the whole team.

It's Devery Henderson dropping 3 catchable passes including 1 that could've been a Touchdown, it's Reggie Bush showing frustration and committing a personal foul after a play is over, it's Deuce and Reggie fumbling the football, it's our Offensive Linemen getting physically over powered and not playing well as a unit, it's Brees getting flustered and rattled causing him to miss open receivers, and then force throws late in the game because we have to get back in it.

It's like a trickle down "ripple" type effect that's plaguing this whole team. I know we're better than that, you know we're better than that, this team and Payton knows these players are better than what they're showing on the field. Payton needs to find a way to stop the bleeding..and fast.

saintsfan912
09-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Is the secondary really that damn bad? I mean come on, what the hell is going on? Bullocks I know is not great in pass coverage but is he really that bad? Or is it coaching? Or is it Jason David? I don't know what the hell it is but they need to fix it and fix it quick.

VY10
09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
At this point, Bush shouldn't get any handoffs unless they are coming off a reverse from the slot.

Thank you. I have been saying that the Saints should make Reggie Bush a WR ever since he was drafted. He is nasty when he has the ball in his hands down field.... he just can't get there in the NFL.

saintsfan912
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
And with the lack of WR depth why not move him there? I know he's a threat wherever he is but damn, get him in some open space, not running up the gut. That's Deuce's forte.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 01:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3035134

There goes our season, as if we didn't need any more bad news.

Auron
09-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Last week I kept saying "It can't get any worse". but somehow with this team it just does. It's like a nightmare that doesn't end.

It's just a dang shame because Deuce is really a stand up guy, and as of now the best RB in Saints history but he just has had trouble staying healthy. I really hope that wasn't his last play in Black & Gold.

Geo
09-25-2007, 01:27 AM
It's a shame to hear about Deuce, best of luck to him for a full and immediate recovery.

Flyboy
09-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Last week I kept saying "It can't get any worse". but somehow with this team it just does. It's like a nightmare that doesn't end.

It's just a dang shame because Deuce is really a stand up guy, and as of now the best RB in Saints history but he just has had trouble staying healthy. I really hope that wasn't his last play in Black & Gold.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but it's hard to see how it won't be. Two torn ACLs (correct me if I'm wrong) with the contract he comes with? It's time to start accepting that Reggie Bush is about to start to earn his worth a in-between tackles RB.

But with the way our o-line has looked, I'm not going to bank on that anytime soon.

*sigh*, *sigh*, *sigh*

Auron
09-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but it's hard to see how it won't be. Two torn ACLs (correct me if I'm wrong) with the contract he comes with? It's time to start accepting that Reggie Bush is about to start to earn his worth a in-between tackles RB.

But with the way our o-line has looked, I'm not going to bank on that anytime soon.

*sigh*, *sigh*, *sigh*
Yes I hate to look at it that way, but it's looking more and more like Deuce won't be in our long term plans. Especially so after the injury. I remember this off-season someone said this will be Deuce's last year as a Saint, and I refused to believe it..and still partly do maybe because of denial. but with our Running back financial situation, and now a devastating injury to a position with a short shelf life it's looking more and more like reality.

Flyboy
09-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Reggie Bush/Aaron Stecker/Pierre Thomas time.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/41/415912.jpg
Mmhm.

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 07:21 AM
At least with the way we are playing, we'll be able to get either a shutdown corner, a beast of a DL, or an outstanding linebacker come draft time.
I wonder what we could get for Deuce if we traded him away?

diabsoule
09-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Jason David is also likely out for the season.

http://myespn.go.com/profile/hashmarks (first story down at the bottom)

Flyboy
09-25-2007, 10:39 AM
At least with the way we are playing, we'll be able to get either a shutdown corner, a beast of a DL, or an outstanding linebacker come draft time.
I wonder what we could get for Deuce if we traded him away?

Very little I'd imagine. Two torn ACLs and a $60mil contract?

Yeah, no team in the league is going to be willing to give up that much at all for him. It's going to hurt me so bad to see him go.

Flyboy
09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Jason David is also likely out for the season.

http://myespn.go.com/profile/hashmarks (first story down at the bottom)

Well, this is your time now Usama Young. Please be our version of Mathis. Please?

TigerBait45
09-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Man this sucks. Deuce is probably the best Saints player I've ever seen and this has got to be the beginning of the end for him.

..Here we come Glenn Dorsey.

TigerBait45
09-25-2007, 11:34 PM
In somewhat unrelated news..Michael Lewis (Beer Man!) got signed by the 49ers.

Good for him. I genuinely like that guy. Hopefully his knee holds up.

LonghornsLegend
09-26-2007, 01:53 AM
Wow, the bad news is just pouring in with you guys...as far as Davis is concerned thats not really that bad since he sucked anyway, and I always loved the potential of Usama Young during draft time, he is very athletic...thing is he will give up huge plays as well being so young and will get picked on alot...

I dont know what Bush will do, I dont think he's ready to have his role changed, and Stecker will have to step it up big time...

diabsoule
09-26-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Pierre Thomas can do now.

Sveen
09-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Jason Davis isn't out for the season it seems.

Saints CB Jason David fractured his left forearm in Week 3 and will miss the next 4-to-6 weeks.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/10002301.html

diabsoule
09-26-2007, 03:42 AM
Jason Davis isn't out for the season it seems.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/10002301.html

Might as well be the season. He won't be coming back until Week 8-10.

diabsoule
09-28-2007, 12:34 AM
If any of you want to keep up with the Forum Mock draft currently going on, then just go to the Fantasy section. I have the Saints.

Here are some of the deals I have done so far:

New Orleans receives: WR Jerry Porter
Oakland receives: OG Jamar Nesbit

New Orleans receives: DB Jordan Babineaux
Seattle receives: FS Josh Bullocks

New Orleans receives: Houston's 1st Rd (#18), LB Morlon Greenwood, and DT Travis Johnson.
Houston receives: New Orleans Saints 1st Rd (#8), 3rd Rd, and 7th Rd selections.

trkaline
09-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Its over...no Deuce, no dice...

diabsoule
09-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Deuce's surgery was successful. His left ACL was repaired and his right knee cleared.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3040536

saintsfan912
09-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow, had high hopes for this season. Oh well. Now its on to another top 10 pick, hopefully. Although I hate seeing the Saints lose, a chance at getting Dorsey to shore up the line is something you can't help but love

What the hell are we gonna do with Reggie? He obviously has no idea what it is to run north and south. I love Reggie, I do, but he just can't seem to get the idea of being a running back. Who knows, maybe he can start being a running back now that he has the reigns of the backfield.

diabsoule
09-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Wow, had high hopes for this season. Oh well. Now its on to another top 10 pick, hopefully. Although I hate seeing the Saints lose, a chance at getting Dorsey to shore up the line is something you can't help but love

What the hell are we gonna do with Reggie? He obviously has no idea what it is to run north and south. I love Reggie, I do, but he just can't seem to get the idea of being a running back. Who knows, maybe he can start being a running back now that he has the reigns of the backfield.

Maybe we'll be in a position to get Darren McFadden and use Reggie as a wideout from now on.

saintsfan912
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
That wouldn't be so bad either except for the fact that the defense is terrible. **** with the way Brees is playing, wanna just draft Brohm instead?

diabsoule
09-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Another move I have made in the forum mock:

Saints trade away the 18th pick in the draft received from the Houston Texans to the NY Jets.
The NY Jets trade to the New Orleans Saints their 2nd Round pick, their 3rd Round pick, and LB Eric Barton.

Although I have traded out of the first round I have picked up five starters, with four starters being on defense.

I have WR Jerry Porter as the only addition to the offense.
On defense I have DT Travis Johnson that will start, LB Eric Barton who will start at MLB and LB Morlon Greenwood who will start at WLB. I also have DB Jordan Babineaux who will start opposite Mike McKenzie with Jason David being the nickel.

If this happened in real life I'd be ecstatic.

TigerBait45
10-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Things are looking up. We didn't lose this week!

diabsoule
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
So, what do you guys think: we'll come off the bye week refreshed and charged up and try to turn the season around or will we still be the Saints we saw in the first couple of games?

TigerBait45
10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I think it'll probably be somewhere in the middle. They can't be as bad as they've looked, but they're obviously not a very good team.

Flyboy
10-03-2007, 06:17 PM
The crazy thing is if we beat the Panthers we still have a shot.

Geo
10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I think we see the Saints play their best ball of the season so far, and maybe that's partly due to a Carolina Panthers team that has its own issues to deal with. With a win, they could be as few as two games back in the division with three quarters left to the season.

More importantly, the Saints are embarrased by their earlier play and by their 0-3 record especially, they will come out charged at home and refusing to leave without their first win of the season (like the Bills and Falcons in Week 4).

Flyboy
10-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I think we see the Saints play their best ball of the season so far, and maybe that's partly due to a Carolina Panthers team that has its own issues to deal with. With a win, they could be as few as two games back in the division with three quarters left to the season.

More importantly, the Saints are embarrased by their earlier play and by their 0-3 record especially, they will come out charged at home and refusing to leave without their first win of the season (like the Bills and Falcons in Week 4).

13-3, here we come!! ;)

diabsoule
10-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm hoping and praying that is true. I'm curious to see what Sean Payton has planned in how to use Reggie Bush.

Flyboy
10-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm hoping and praying that is true. I'm curious to see what Sean Payton has planned in how to use Reggie Bush.

From what I heard, he plans to utilize him much like the Eagles use Brian Westbrook.

Saints coach Sean Payton, whose 0-3 team has a bye this week, spent a significant portion of the last 2 days looking at tape of the Eagles. No, he wasn't getting an early start on scouting them for their Dec. 23 meeting at the Superdome. He was looking at the many ways coach Andy Reid utilizes his Where's-Waldo running back, Brian Westbrook, as he tries to figure out how best to use his versatile second-year back, Reggie Bush.

There.

diabsoule
10-04-2007, 12:34 AM
From what I heard, he plans to utilize him much like the Eagles use Brian Westbrook.

I've heard that as well. I hope it works out for us because if he can be utilized like Brian Westbrook, and our offensive line actually blocks for him, then we could be pretty dangerous.

Flyboy
10-04-2007, 12:40 AM
I've heard that as well. I hope it works out for us because if he can be utilized like Brian Westbrook, and our offensive line actually blocks for him, then we could be pretty dangerous.

I really wish Strief would replace Stinchcomb at RT. I've seen Eric Johnson blocking better than Stinch has so far.

diabsoule
10-05-2007, 02:58 AM
I really wish Strief would replace Stinchcomb at RT. I've seen Eric Johnson blocking better than Stinch has so far.

I wish he would too and I'd also like to see what Andy Alleman and Pierre Thomas can do.

Flyboy
10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't think Alleman is quite ready yet, but I think Thomas could definitely be an added spark to the offense.

Saints-Tigers
10-05-2007, 11:51 AM
The offensive line is the main issue these days, Brees doesn't have time to throw, no holes for the backs etc...

The defense actually looked decent for a while against Tennessee, but the offense was so anemic, the D was on the field for way too long...

Flyboy
10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
The offensive line is the main issue these days, Brees doesn't have time to throw, no holes for the backs etc...

The defense actually looked decent for a while against Tennessee, but the offense was so anemic, the D was on the field for way too long...

That's what I've been saying since Week 1. No one expected our defense to be worldbeaters, but the biggest disappointment of our team thus far has definitely been the offense's lack of production mainly due to the poor of the offensive line.

LonghornsLegend
10-06-2007, 11:52 PM
I just wanted someone who knew what was going on, to let me know is Devery Henderson still starting outside of Colston, or has he been demoted already? Seems like everyone has struggled on that side of the ball but he's actually been dropping the ball, which is pretty wierd...

But I was curious does he still start or whats up with him

Flyboy
10-07-2007, 01:09 AM
I just wanted someone who knew what was going on, to let me know is Devery Henderson still starting outside of Colston, or has he been demoted already? Seems like everyone has struggled on that side of the ball but he's actually been dropping the ball, which is pretty wierd...

But I was curious does he still start or whats up with him

Him dropping the ball isn't weird at all. It's been his biggest criticism thus far in his career and it seems like he's reverted to being the old Devery. Then again, our entire offense has been out of sync. He's still starting as of now, but I seriously doubt he'll be with the team next year.

diabsoule
10-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Him dropping the ball isn't weird at all. It's been his biggest criticism thus far in his career and it seems like he's reverted to being the old Devery. Then again, our entire offense has been out of sync. He's still starting as of now, but I seriously doubt he'll be with the team next year.

I doubt he'll be with the team next year as well. He just has not lived up to his potential and has battled the drops his whole career. He is just not consistent enough to be a starter or even a dependable slot receiver. It seems like Lance Moore could be our third receiver because it seems like he catches anything that is thrown in his direction.

Here's to a good game tomorrow. I'm excited to see what our "new look" offense will look like and see how it will perform.

LonghornsLegend
10-07-2007, 01:42 PM
LOL guess he decided to show up to this game :) I was curious because he was dropped in every fantasy league as well and I figured after a bye he'd get on point with Brees and be a deep threat at least..Well he woke up today

Flyboy
10-07-2007, 01:44 PM
LOL guess he decided to show up to this game :) I was curious because he was dropped in every fantasy league as well and I figured after a bye he'd get on point with Brees and be a deep threat at least..Well he woke up today

He's horribly inconsistent. He'll tear up a secondary on deep passes one week and then won't catch a pass for the next two.

TigerBait45
10-07-2007, 02:55 PM
This offense is just bad right now. The line can't block, the receivers can't catch..

The Defense showed up today, for the most part, but man this team continues to disappoint me.

TigerBait45
10-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Glenn Dorsey better start looking for a house.

Flyboy
10-07-2007, 03:17 PM
*sigh, sigh, sigh*

That is all.

Auron
10-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Looks like the misery won't end this week. Just too many problems to count, I actually thought this was a game we were going to pull out but so much went wrong down the stretch. Don't feel like analyzing anything until later.

Saints-Tigers
10-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Bush looked good running inside against a monster D-Line.

The drop passes and errant throws were horrible today, the line actually held up pretty good today.

So disappointing, here's a toast to Glen Dorsey. Cheers!

Flyboy
10-07-2007, 03:59 PM
I would like to stab Devery Henderson in the face.

diabsoule
10-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't have anything good to say about this team. Nothing. I'm done trying to make excuses fro them and thinking that this week will finally be their week. It's time for major changes. I don't know if we have started a season 0-4 since I have been watching.

Flyboy
10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
gogogo Glenn Dorsey or Jake Long!

TigerBait45
10-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Malcom Jenkins would be okay too.

Flyboy
10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Malcom Jenkins would be okay too.

We'll probably be drafting too high to consider him.

Sveen
10-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I didn't get to see the game today, but I'm thinking it wasn't a pleasant thing to watch? Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey would be nice though ;)

diabsoule
10-07-2007, 05:58 PM
We need Dorsey. Everything starts up front and we need someone young to get pressure and free up our linebackers to make plays.

In the second round we could draft Jonathan Goff, the beast MLB from Vandy.

saintsfan912
10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Jake Long is not a need. Jammal Brown is still a great LT and drafting #1 overall is far too early for a RT. Besides, Long hasn't shown anything yet this season.

Geo
10-07-2007, 08:34 PM
This loss is completely on the offense, the defense did its job. 13 points at home is not going to get it done, and all those miscues, the mistakes, and the ineptitude is inexcusable.

Reggie tried to win this game single-handedly, but it couldn't be done. 21 carries for 67 yards, and 9 catches for 52 yards. I saw for myself how he fought for every single one of those yards, and I doubt any other back in the league could have done any better.

The offensive line din't run block well but, by and large, they pass blocked well enough to win this game. Drew Brees didn't play well, to be perfectly frank. And the receivers' dropped balls were costly, as we all know. As were the penalties the offense continues to commit, it's hard enough moving the chains for this team.

Right before the blocked field goal attempt, Brees threw an innaccurate pass to Bush who ran a slant in the endzone. Missed an opportunity to put six on the board. Story of the season so far, I suppose.

Flyboy
10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Reggie tried to win this game single-handedly, but it couldn't be done. 21 carries for 67 yards, and 9 catches for 52 yards. I saw for myself how he fought for every single one of those yards, and I doubt any other back in the league could have done any better.

Don't say that around on these forums, Geo. You'll get laughed at.

diabsoule
10-08-2007, 02:07 AM
I was hoping to see a shake-up along our offensive line but that didn't happen this game. I'm sure it will for the Seattle game, though. Jammal Brown looked like crap and so does Jon Stinchcomb. At the point we're going I'm thinking we put Strief at LT and move Brown back to RT.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
10-08-2007, 09:20 AM
He's horribly inconsistent. He'll tear up a secondary on deep passes one week and then won't catch a pass for the next two.

Devery's playmaking ability makes him more than worth keeping around, but his inconsistent hands make him an awful #2 receiver. I hope he's back next season, but we need a better option for a starter (we gonna play Meachem this year at all?....)

Also, *vomit*.

The offensive line is flat out offensive, the running game stinks, the receivers aren't making plays, and Drew Brees looks a lot like the Drew Brees we saw before Philip Rivers was drafted. Our defense looks even worse than last year's, we have no pass rush (possibly the biggest surprise of all), the secondary is arguably the worst in the NFL, and to top it all off our kicker can't make a field goal. All things considered, this could become the most painful season Saints fans have ever had to bear, which really says something.

Playoffs? Playoffs?!?! Looking at the rest of the schedule I really can't see more than 3, maybe 4 wins. I'm not even looking forward to the draft, why should I when chances are we'd take somebody like DeSean Jackson over somebody like Glenn Dorsey.

diabsoule
10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
There are rumors flying around that we're bringing in Martin Gramatica, Mike Vanderjagt, Billy Cundiff, and other kickers to see if they can win the job from Olindo Mare.

I have also heard that we're bringing in a lot of other players too that will compete for other positions.

I don't know what we need to do but we need to do something quick in order to get on track.

Flyboy
10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
There are rumors flying around that we're bringing in Martin Gramatica, Mike Vanderjagt, Billy Cundiff, and other kickers to see if they can win the job from Olindo Mare.

I have also heard that we're bringing in a lot of other players too that will compete for other positions.

I don't know what we need to do but we need to do something quick in order to get on track.

Put in Strief over Stinch & get Meachem some playing time plz. Hell, maybe even Marvin Mitchell too.

diabsoule
10-10-2007, 01:25 AM
I was actually thinking that putting Marvin Mitchell in at MLB and moving Brian Simmons to WLB in place of Shanle would work to our advantage.

I LOVE the idea of Strief over Stinch. Possibly even Strief in place of Brown and move Brown back to RT.

I also want Lance Moore or David Patten as our #2. I love what both are doing. Maybe Patten as the #2 and Moore in the slot. Or go out of a 3 WR set with Bush in the slot.

Sveen
10-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Embattled Saints kicker Olindo Mare on Monday accepted responsibility for two missed field goals Sunday that might have been the difference between victory and defeat.

But with immediate uncertainty regarding Mare's groin injury and his erratic play, the Saints will audition at least three more kickers today. League sources indicated Mike Vanderjagt, the most accurate kicker in National Football League history and someone whom the Saints worked out in March, is among those scheduled to work, as is former Dallas and Tampa Bay kicker Martin Gramatica. The agent for former Saints kicker Billy Cundiff confirmed Cundiff's scheduled workout.

Saints Coach Sean Payton said the team plans to work out a group of players today, some for practice squad help. He would not specify which positions.

Source: http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2007/10/best_foot_forward.html

Sveen
10-10-2007, 03:05 AM
It's not rumors anymore diabsoule, and I can't say I'm surprised. Mare hasn't exactly been reliable kicking field goals...

Geo
10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm surprised no NFL team has brought in Shane Andrus. He's been the Colts' guy in preseason the last two years, with Vinatieri not being overworked, and that guy can play. Especially in another dome stadium as the Saints have.

The penalty on Jamaal Brown, which negated a touchdown score, that (temporarily, yes?) benched him was a very questionable one, it seemed.

diabsoule
10-10-2007, 11:09 AM
It's not rumors anymore diabsoule, and I can't say I'm surprised. Mare hasn't exactly been reliable kicking field goals...

I put the word "rumors" there because I couldn't find a link for it.

Flyboy
10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
The penalty on Jamaal Brown, which negated a touchdown score, that (temporarily, yes?) benched him was a very questionable one, it seemed.

Very much so. However, I noticed the refs were pretty favorable to us in that game so I guess it all makes up in the end. But, still.... it definitely hurt.

TigerBait45
10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Brown has really gone backwards this year. He looked like one of the better tackles in the league last year.

Strief has huge upside. I'd like to see him at LT and Brown moved back to the right side.

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
So is Lance Moore gonna get a chance to show you guys something this week, or will he still be benched behind henderson...devery will burn past a defender time to time, yet drops crucial balls as well, so i kept waiting to hear about Moore starting and getting a chance but i never heard anything, guess its hendersons job to lose this year

TigerBait45
10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Henderson's upside enamors the coaching staff, I guess. Lance Moore has looked really good, and so has David Patten..I'd like to see them get into the games way more than they do.

Sveen
10-11-2007, 06:26 PM
METAIRIE, La. -- Olindo Mare hit a number of field goals from various distances at Thursday's practice, giving New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton enough confidence to keep Mare active this Sunday night in Seattle.

"Mare looked a lot better, looked sharp, did a good job," Payton said.

Mare, who hurt his right groin practicing an onside kick a little over a week ago, made only two of four field goal attempts during the Saints 16-13 loss to Carolina last Sunday.

During the loss, Mare kicked a 20-yard chip shot low and it was easily blocked by Julius Peppers. He also pulled a 54-yard attempt wide left.

Mare sat out Wednesday's practice, and the Saints worked out seven kickers this week, including veterans Mike Vanderjagt and Martin Gramatica.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8032648b&template=without-video&confirm=true

diabsoule
10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I heard that the coaching staff is going to stick with Mare.

Auron
10-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Mare has definitely cost us some valuable points this season, but honestly if the Offense would do their job and actually go down into the Red Zone and score Touchdowns.. his Field Goal problems wouldn't be as much of an issue.

The Offense in general needs to do a much better job in all phases of the game starting up front with Pass protection, and run blocking, Wide Receivers can't drop catchable passes, Drew has to make wiser decisions. I still don't understand how an Offense can go from being so efficient, to so inept in just 1 off-season.

Flyboy
10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Some interesting notes I got from another Saints' forum (the main one I go to):

The Saints are proving to be tough against the run. For the fourth consecutive game, the Saints held an opponent to fewer than 100 yards rushing, matching a similar streak in 2000.

That can be skewed as opposing teams can pass on the secondary, but considering how long our defense has been on the field these first four games that's pretty impressive. To some degree, at least.

Rookie cornerback Usama Young injured his shoulder in the second half. His status for Sunday's game against Atlanta will be updated later this week.

I wish Young a super speedy recovery. When we selected him, I had a strong feeling he'd be pretty good and make up for us not taking Chris Houston in the first. He played very well on Sunday as a nickelback -- if he continues to develop, he's the future for us at corner.

Kicker Olindo Mare kicked four extra points and said he did not aggravate a groin injury. Punter Steve Weatherford handled kickoffs. "I felt comfortable to kick from 45 yards, but if we had needed a 50-yarder to win, I would have tried it," Mare said. "I tried a (54-yard field goal attempt) the week before (against Carolina) when I couldn't kick it 10 feet. I'll do what I have to do."

MEACHEM UPDATE: Rookie wide receiver Robert Meachem, the team's No. 1 draft pick from Tennessee, continues to make up for lost ground from offseason arthroscopic knee surgery. Meachem has been inactive for all five games. "He's made progress, but if it were to my liking, we'd be having him in the game," Saints Coach Sean Payton said. "He still has a ways to go, and he's working hard at it. I think he's made progress, and he's running better."

That's good to hear. Meachem on the field can't be any worse than Henderson being out there and dropping passes. Last week, Colston (whom is injured)/Moore/Patten were extremely effective... if Meachem can play soon and get some reps, that would be great.

WORTH REPEATING: "I don't think the heat we were getting as an O-line was unjust. We weren't playing well as an offense. We needed to step our game up. These past two games we played better. We just need to continue on the path we're on and get the running game going and get (Brees) comfortable in the pocket." -- Saints right tackle Jon Stinchcomb. . . . . . . .

What I've been saying all season. Yeah, Payton's playcalling has been iffy but the main reason we're 1-4 this season is due to the play of the offensive line. Last week, they got it in gear and made sure that Bush had holes to run through and Brees looked like the QB from last year. Here's hoping they keep it up.

Geo
10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Sure-handed veteran David Pattern has Drew Brees' trust, the result of which can be seen on the field. The offense as a whole is improved a good deal because of his contribution.

Flyboy
10-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Sure-handed veteran David Pattern has Drew Brees' trust, the result of which can be seen on the field. The offense as a whole is improved a good deal because of his contribution.

Very much so. Brees & he made quite a connection over the offseason & during preseason. Sadly, until the Seahawks, Brees didn't have time to throw to him (or if he did, he wasn't accurate) or Patten wasn't playing (either due to injury or Henderson starting). Brees also has a good connection with Lance Moore and hopefully they'll continue to build on their chemistry as the season progresses.

Auron
10-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Mentioned this on another forum but worth repeating, but I really like the consistency that Lance Moore, and David Patten can bring to the passing game. No they are not Big Play guys for the most part, but they are crisp route runners, with reliable hands. and a Quarterback can count on them to be in the right place.

I think now we're going to start integrating Moore and Patten more, while phasing out Devery Henderson, and Terrance Copper. Colston is struggling right now (not sure if it's the back injury or what) but I have faith he'll get back on track, and when he does our Passing game may be back to being highly effective. Don't think it'll be dynamic but at least effective.

Sveen
10-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Terrance Copper was actually made inactive for the Seattle game without having an injury, so he and Devery should start getting real worried.

Geo
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
They're both free agents after this season anyways, right? The Saints are better off moving on, focusing on the talented rookies Moore and Meachem and utilizing the sure-handed veteran Patten.

Flyboy
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Terrance Copper was actually made inactive for the Seattle game without having an injury, so he and Devery should start getting real worried.

Not true. He got injured in during the pre-game warmups.

Flyboy
10-18-2007, 11:17 AM
They're both free agents after this season anyways, right? The Saints are better off moving on, focusing on the talented rookies Moore and Meachem and utilizing the sure-handed veteran Patten.

Correct. Patten is a free agent after this year as well. So, the future is looking like Colston/Moore/Meachem.

Sveen
10-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Not true. He got injured in during the pre-game warmups.

Sorry. My bad. Read that he wasn't injured on another website (can't remember which one).

Flyboy
10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
It's all good. :)

diabsoule
10-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Jeff Faine (pectoral) missed practice Wednesday and is not expected to play in Week 8.

Faine tried to play through an injured left pectoral muscle Sunday, but left the game several times before finally calling it quits. The Saints have avoided revealing the exact nature of the injury, but a torn muscle could sideline him for several games. Jonathan Goodwin, who filled in Sunday, would start in his place.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Hope you're up for the task Goodwin.

Flyboy
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Goodwin filled in quite nicely for Faine when he went out against Atlanta.

diabsoule
10-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm hoping Goodwin can continue playing well against San Francisco. I'm hoping Faine is back when we have to play JAX in a few weeks.

Flyboy
10-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Great, great game today. We did what we were supposed to do to a bad SF team and completely took care of them. Huge game next week against Jax. This game worries me greatly.. if we win, back to .500.... we'll see.

diabsoule
10-30-2007, 10:26 PM
We're doing everything right as far as I've seen. I like the aggressiveness that the defense has shown. I love that we're finally getting some pressure on the opposing QB's.

Our offense looks like it has returned to last season form. The only thing is that I'd like to see Pierre Thomas more involved in the running game. It looks like if he could get 10-15 carries a game he could wear down the opposing defense. I've really been impressed with what I have seen out of him and I want to see more.

I think we can beat Jacksonville if we play at the level that we're capable of playing. It is not impossible for this team to go 12-4. We only play 3 teams with winning records out of the 9 remaining games.

Geo
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/119459097788640.xml&coll=1

Excellent article on 1st round pick wide receiver Robert Meachem, a very encouraging read. Meachem has a healthy attitude about the situation, it seems.

Auron
11-09-2007, 05:03 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/119459097788640.xml&coll=1

Excellent article on 1st round pick wide receiver Robert Meachem, a very encouraging read. Meachem has a healthy attitude about the situation, it seems.

I like his attitude, and that he's still working hard despite the setbacks he's had. I've read that he's been playing well on the Scout team, but I really have a hard time seeing him get on the field with the way our WR corps is shaping up between Colston, Patten, and Moore. Copper is a crucial special teams player, and Henderson keeps a roster spot because of his deep speed.

So unless one of those guys gets nicked up I don't see Meachem being activated anytime soon.

diabsoule
11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I can understand redshirting the guy due to how well our receiver corps has played and we have an emerging receiver in Lance Moore.

I just hope that next year he will bust out and be able to take over the #2 receiver spot next to Colston.

Stoopid512
11-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Congratulations Saints, we have a millionaire on the SCOUT team this year. Meanwhile, Chris Houston and Eric Wright are at least contributing to the team by dressing on Sundays. They also can perform an evasive maneuver essential to playing in the secondary - it's called TACKLING, something that the Toast Tandem of David and Thomas can't do because they simply just have no clue.

I hated the pick of Meacham then, and I still hate the pick now. Meacham is the only player in the first round of the draft to not even dress for a game yet.

Why don't we put Jason David as a Wide Receiver from now on? Think about it, every time we see him on the field, there's nobody around him! He's PERFECT!

diabsoule
11-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Congratulations Saints, we have a millionaire on the SCOUT team this year. Meanwhile, Chris Houston and Eric Wright are at least contributing to the team by dressing on Sundays. They also can perform an evasive maneuver essential to playing in the secondary - it's called TACKLING, something that the Toast Tandem of David and Thomas can't do because they simply just have no clue.

I hated the pick of Meacham then, and I still hate the pick now. Meacham is the only player in the first round of the draft to not even dress for a game yet.

Why don't we put Jason David as a Wide Receiver from now on? Think about it, every time we see him on the field, there's nobody around him! He's PERFECT!

Hell, it might work. I just think that we invested a crapload of money into a nickel corner since that is all I think David is capable of on this team, even though that would have him lining up against the slot and helping against the run.

Flyboy
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM
We suck.

That is all.

diabsoule
11-21-2007, 08:14 PM
During the offseason I wanted the Saints to go after Jason David. I thought that making an offer for him and only having to give up a 4th Round pick would be worth it. Considering Jason David's success in the Colts scheme I assumed he could step in and learn the man/zone scheme Gary Gibbs run. I was wrong. I am now eating crow.

Now onto some more thoughts of mine concerning the post season..............

Due to the Saints up-and-down unpredictable season it seems fitting to start looking to the offseason and the draft. Last year the Saints had a prime opportunity to address their defense by having both LB Paul Posluszny and CB Chris Houston available when they were on the clock. The Saints instead went another direction and chose WR Robert Meachem who has yet to see the field or even dress for a game this year. If the Saints would have selected either Posluszny or Houston it would have helped fill holes that instead wil lhave to be filled this year.

The Saints obvious needs rest on the defensive side of the ball, especially the secondary. Jason David is not the corner back the Saints thought he would be when they made an offer for him last offseason. Strong safety Roman Harper is playing adequately but is not outstanding and free safety Josh Bullocks has been exposed by the deep ball. Bullocks, however, might just be the victim of poor play by Jason David while having to take up the slack for Roman Harper's amazingly average play. Bullocks, along with corner back Mike McKenzie, are the only two players that could be considered bright spots in the Saints secondary, however, those bright spots aren't shining that brightly.

After viewing the free agent safeties and corner backs that are available the one guy the Saints should aggressively pursue is Nnamdi Asomaghu, corner back of the Oakland Raiders. Asomaghu (6'2", 215) has emerged as a top cornerback in the league and is hardly tested by opposing quarterbacks. If the Saints were able to sign him then he would line up opposite McKenzie. By going after a cornerback as talented as Asomaghu it does present some difficulties such as what to do with Jason David and how often will last year's third round pick Usama Young see the field? Jason David would seemingly make a great nickel back but then that puts Young, who has shown some signs of being the type of corner the Saints need, as a dime back and would stunt his growth.

Another direction the Saints could go is linebacker. Last year the Saints signed weakside linebacker Scott Shanle to a four year contract extension and targeted veteran MLB/OLB Brian Simmons in free agency. This year, however, neither have played as expected. Shanle has played decent but Simmons failed to crack the starting line-up and couldn't beat Saints incumbent MLB Mark Simoneau for the starting job in training camp. Both Shanle and Simmons, as well as Simoneau, are not ideal starters in the NFL. Two very talented linebackers are listed as unrestricted free agents next year, OLB Lance Briggs and MLB Karlos Dansby.
Lance Briggs has more tackles than Shanle and Simoneau combined (both are starters) this year and would immediately upgrade the OLB position. Dansby has ten more tackles, 2 more forced fumbles (zero for Simoneau), and 3 more interceptions than Mark Simoneau (goose egg again) so far this year and would be a significant upgrade at MLB.

The Saints front four play well. They have two very good defensive ends in Charles Grant and Will Smith, who is due a contract extension. Defensive tackles Hollis Thomas and Brian Young have both played well along. Back up McKinley Boykin has played very well in limited action. Kendrick Clancy and Antwan Lake see very limited action and seem like afterthoughts along the defensive front. Hollis Thomas is the Saints run stuffer and does his job very well but he is not getting younger. The Saints might have found a possible starter in McKinley Boykin but they need help up front in order to free up their linebackers to make plays.
The free agent defensive tackle pool this year is pretty weak but there look to be a few players that are worth targeting. One player the Saints might pursue is Randy Starks. A young player at only twenty four years of age has spent his entire brief career with the Tennessee Titans and has learned from Albert Haynesworth. While not as stout as Hollis Thomas, Starks would battle with Brian Young for the starting position and would give the Saints another player who could collapse the pocket and help put pressure on the quarterback. Two other players that might be targeted are Tommy Kelly and Chuck Darby, however both were placed on IR this year and it would be risky investing a lot of money into either one.

The other aspect of the game the Saints need improvement in is special teams as kicker Olindo Mare clearly has not been the player the Saints thought they would get when they acquired him from the Miami Dolphins last year for a sixth round draft pick. While Mare has struggled with a nagging injury his accuracy has not been what is used to be when he was healthy. The one kicker that is young enough to be with the Saints for some time ot come is Josh Brown. Brown possesses a strong leg and can be used on field goals as well as kickoffs. He would give the black and gold someone who is consistent on field goals, which is something that has been definitely lacking this season.

Of course it all depends on who the Saints sign in free agency as to which position they will target in the draft. The preferences being that they target CB Nnamdi Asomaghu, DT Randy Starks, and K Josh Brown. By targeting those three it would give the Saints a solid starting cornerback opposite Mike McKenzie, a young, talented defensive tackle in Starks, and a reliable, consistent kicker in Josh Brown. That would then leave OLB and MLB as the most pressing needs with safety and defensive tackle being secondary needs. Needs also lie on offense at RT and a short yardage RB, however, those are also secondary needs.

With OLB and MLB being the most pressing needs from this propsed offseason that would leave the Saints in a perfect position to draft some elite prospects at either one of those positions. The man that would immediately upgrade the Saints linebacking corps and fits the mold of one of the players the Saints were interested in during the 2006 NFL draft would be Dan Conner from Penn State. With Conner being the selection in the first round, a middle linebacker would be needed in the second. The other player that would help out tremendously would be Jonathan Goff from Vanderbilt. Goff has played againt top notch SEC competition and is comparable to DeMeco Ryans. Those two players, Conner and Goff, would immediately upgrade the Saints linebacking unit and would leave DT, SS, RT, and RB as areas of concern the Saints could address during the draft.

504 to ATL
11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a question, say hypothetically the Saints win today, and the Redskins beat Tampa, then the Saints beat Tampa next week.

Tampa and the Saints would have the same overall record, split head to head, and have the same record in the Conference. What is the tie breaker, is it Divisional wins to losses?

Because if that is the case then the Saints are screwed since they lost to Carolina. Tampa would have to lose another game at least while the Saints go undefeated for the rest of the season.

diabsoule
12-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Reggie Bush has a torn PCL and is likely done for the season. Both of our featured running backs are out now with a torn knee ligament. I wonder how this will affect Bush's quickness.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3145712

TigerBait45
12-07-2007, 10:39 PM
They're saying he won't need surgery. It shouldn't mess him up all that bad.

If this were week 1 he'd be back before the trade deadline..its just that there are only 4 weeks left in the season that puts him out for the rest of it.

Flyboy
12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
But he could still be back in time for the playoffs!

I tried. :(

TigerBait45
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
It was a noble attempt.

diabsoule
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Looks like Marcus Trufant, CB, will more than likely be a free agent next year. Think we should go after him? If yes, what do we do with Jason David and Usama Young?

Flyboy
12-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I really think Usama Young can be a good #2 opposite of McKenzie is given the chance -- he's just been banged up. Sign Trufant is possible.. our secondary would then look like...

#1 CB: Mike McKenzie (who has been unreal this season for us, too bad he doesn't have help :()
#2 CB: Marcus Trufant

With Jason David & Usama Young playing NB/DB. I like that idea. Snag the BDPA in the first & second round... Keith Rivers, Dan Connors, Kenny Phillips... whomever.

I like that idea.

Flyboy
12-10-2007, 02:36 PM
We win out & and MIN loses one game.. we're in the playoffs. I don't even know how I feel about that.

Auron
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Sadly I think the Coaching staff may try to force the Jason David situation to work out until the bitter end.. because of the contract we gave him. Rather than just admitting it was a mistake to try and convert him into being a Man coverage CB, cutting the losses and moving on. (and I do believe he's played his way out of a job this season, I understand giving him some time to adjust to the scheme and learning curve but at this point in the season he shouldn't be making the same mistakes he was making in Week 1)

Even though it's unlikely that their teams will let them hit the open market I believe Marcus Trufant, Asante Samuel, and Nnamdi Asomugha are scheduled to hit Free agency and I think the Saints should actively talk to all of them. I think we need to be aggressive in Free agency in attempting to bring in some high quality talent on Defense.

diabsoule
12-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I really think Usama Young can be a good #2 opposite of McKenzie is given the chance -- he's just been banged up. Sign Trufant is possible.. our secondary would then look like...

#1 CB: Mike McKenzie (who has been unreal this season for us, too bad he doesn't have help :()
#2 CB: Marcus Trufant

With Jason David & Usama Young playing NB/DB. I like that idea. Snag the BDPA in the first & second round... Keith Rivers, Dan Connors, Kenny Phillips... whomever.

I like that idea.

I really like that idea as well. I think Trufant will be the third most expensive CB in FA but we need to actively pursue him. He's still young and is very talented. I also want us to go after DT Randy Starks from the Titans. Those two would help seal holes in our defense right before the draft.

Auron, I agree with everything you said although I hope the coaching staff realizes that Jason David just is not the player they thought he was and try to renegotiate his contract. I think he has potential but just not as a starter in our scheme. Also, when McKenzie is up for FA in 2009, he will be 32 years old and if we happen to sign Trufant, we could rotate Trufant to #1 and move Young to #2. That'd look pretty sweet.

Saints67
12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
HALL TO PAYTON: "I'LL PLAY FOR YOU FOR THE MINIMUM"

Our moles who were in the Georgia Dome on Monday night tell us that, at one point during the game between New Orleans and Atlanta, Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was overheard telling Saints coach Sean Payton, "I'll play for you for the minimum," or words to that effect."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Granted, it is PFT but if true...

Would you guys want him, and for the right price?

If he cleans his act up, I would deff go for him, but that's a big IF.

Geo
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Somehow, I have a hard time believing that. Piece of Trash Disgustingly Wearing Deion Sanders' Number will be a free agent after 2008, he's already looking forward to reaching free agency and trying to equal or better Nate Clements' deal.

Any team that trades for him will do so having worked out an extension before pulling the trigger. Will it be the Saints? Would Atlanta trade him to a division rival, and would the Saints give up the draft pick(s)?

Flyboy
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh damn. I already posted this on in the NFC South folder. I'll give my thoughts on the whole Hall thing later -- work now. kkthxbi

d34ng3l021
12-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Hey. Congratulations on the win. When clicking, your offense is as scary as ****. Without pressure Drew Brees is as accurate (...maybe more) as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. I really like him at QB. And damn Marques Colston. He will be a good reciever for a while. I wish Hall would man up on him all game though. Maybe because he cant play RCB? I dont know what the deal is with that. McKenzie did a great job on Roddy White (I dont believe that he had not given up a TD before that game though). He is very underrated.

And as for you getting Hall. I highly doubt it. I think he will stay with the Falcons for a long time.

Geo
12-12-2007, 02:43 AM
Not something I realized at first, but Aaron Stecker's performance on Monday Night finally gave the Saints their first 100-yard rushing game of the season. Wow, how strange is that? I don't think anyone could have imagined that it would be Stecker in Week 13.

Granted, Bush broke 100 rushing yards at Seattle during the game, but lost a handful of yards later on and finished the night just shy of the century mark.

I do think Stecker can continue to get the job done as the starting back, with 3 winnable games left for the Saints to play in the regular season.

Auron
12-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Not something I realized at first, but Aaron Stecker's performance on Monday Night finally gave the Saints their first 100-yard rushing game of the season. Wow, how strange is that? I don't think anyone could have imagined that it would be Stecker in Week 13.

Granted, Bush broke 100 rushing yards at Seattle during the game, but lost a handful of yards later on and finished the night just shy of the century mark.

I do think Stecker can continue to get the job done as the starting back, with 3 winnable games left for the Saints to play in the regular season.

Stecker is a steady veteran who knows how to follow his blocks and run straight ahead for as much as he can. He's not much of a threat to break off any long runs, or make plays in getting to the 2nd level.. but I think we should be ok in that department. I think Payton will continue to use the Passing game early to try and open some run lanes in the remainder of our games this season.

Personally I'm more impressed with Pierre Thomas gaining 31 yards on only 6 carries. I would like for him to get more snaps, as I believe he has pretty good potential but we aren't able to fully judge his ability with the limited amount of snaps he's gotten so far.

Geo
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Saints coach Sean Payton didn't particularly enjoy being trashed in the newspaper by Falcons wide receiver Joe Horn on Sunday. And shortly after Monday's 34-14 victory, he asked the Hashmarks editorial staff to send a message to his former wide receiver.

"Tell Horn to look at [David] Patten's numbers next to his," Payton said. "And also tell him to compare salaries." (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-4-128/Payton-asks-Hash-to-deliver-message-to-Horn.html)

Paytowned.

Geo
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Also, Mare's injury has forced, nay inspired!, the Saints to sign Martin "Automatica" Gramatica. (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/12/olindo-mare-out-saints-add-martin-gramatica/)

Flyboy
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Saints coach Sean Payton didn't particularly enjoy being trashed in the newspaper by Falcons wide receiver Joe Horn on Sunday. And shortly after Monday's 34-14 victory, he asked the Hashmarks editorial staff to send a message to his former wide receiver.

"Tell Horn to look at [David] Patten's numbers next to his," Payton said. "And also tell him to compare salaries." (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-4-128/Payton-asks-Hash-to-deliver-message-to-Horn.html)

Paytowned.

Yep. Read that two days ago -- definitely owned.

TigerBait45
12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I love Payton, haha. Hes got some fire.

diabsoule
12-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Also, Mare's injury has forced, nay inspired!, the Saints to sign Martin "Automatica" Gramatica. (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/12/olindo-mare-out-saints-add-martin-gramatica/)

I'm not quite sure how I think about this. I wish we would've brought in Connor Hughes who was in our training camp last year and did a damn good job.

Auron
12-16-2007, 07:54 PM
His greatness deserves it's own thread. With todays game he has gone for 1,092 receiving yards and 9 Touchdowns on the season. Becoming only the 3rd Wide Receiver in Saints history to have back to back 1,000+ yard receiving Seasons. (and he did it his First two seasons in the league)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9749/colstonthegreatjg3.png

He's pretty much the complete deal. Intimidating size, fearless going over the middle, excellent hands and concentration.. just plucks the Football out of the air. One of the most dangerous red zone threats in the league.

and taken in the 7th round, 252nd overall.

diabsoule
12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah, Colston is awesome. The Saints need to lock him up this offseason.

diabsoule
12-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Well, the Bears didn't come through. So now we have to hope for either the Redskins or Broncos to beat them and for us to beat the Eagles and Bears

Flyboy
12-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Well, the Bears didn't come through. So now we have to hope for either the Redskins or Broncos to beat them and for us to beat the Eagles and Bears

Or the Giants lose out too.

Flyboy
12-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Dude is a complete beast without question. And he should be going to the Pro Bowl this year.

diabsoule
12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Or the Giants lose out too.

They play the Bills and New England. It's very possible that they lose out.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
12-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't think I've posted here since the season started. So many things I could say, but this season's been pretty frustrating to watch for the most part. I'm sure you all would agree. Here's hoping the Saints win out and manage to make the playoffs.

Oh, and I'm finally ready to accept it... Reggie Bush sucks.

Happy hollidays fellas.

Dome Patrol
12-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Absolutely!!! He could be close to 1300 yards and 11 TD's to end the reg season. He, and at least Evans, should have made the pro bowl (not to mention MM and arguably Brees - damn those first 4 games). If not for his injury last year.. Colston most likely should/would have won roty as well. I hope the whole team plays the next 6 games with a chip on their shoulder because of how the rest of the league gives them no respect.

steelersfan43
12-23-2007, 01:59 AM
I love him, hes my favorite non-steelers(homer) reciever. Freaking beast. Im so glad you guys snagged him, or he would be lost forever :(. And hes catching balls from my favorite non steeler qb, drew brees>jesus.

Rich Jr
12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
According to Payton's press conference. Torn ACL.

Flyboy
12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I was just about to post this. *sigh*

Just... ugh. Blah. Meh. UGHHH.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Great year for him other then this...

joercky
12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice David is the new #1.

Auron
12-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh wow he was the only legitimate Cover presence in our secondary, that Quarterbacks actually had to think twice about throwing at.

Now without him our Pass Defense could be historically terrible.. at least it will only be for 1 more game. Hopefully he'll have a clean, and speedy recovery.

Flyboy
12-24-2007, 09:59 PM
The ONLY good that stems from this is Usama Young will receive more playing time next week against the Bears.

Auron
12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
The timetable for McKenzie's recovery could last into next season.. so it's not uncertain that he won't start off next season on the PUP list.

Which makes us especially desperate at the Cornerback position, there are a bunch of options to look at in Free Agency, and in the Draft. and Usama Young will have to continue his trial by fire..we have to find out what kind of role he'll be ready for next season.

diabsoule
12-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, the good news is that we will finally get to see Usama Young on the field.

I think it is now our top priority to go CB in FA, not like that wasn't the case already but we will have a 31 year old CB coming off a torn ACL so I'm really not sure how much he'll have left in the tank.

Flyboy
12-26-2007, 12:36 AM
The timetable for McKenzie's recovery could last into next season.. so it's not uncertain that he won't start off next season on the PUP list.

... **** me in the ass.

UGH!

TigerBait45
12-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Looks like we're going corner in round one this year.

Welcome to New Orleans, Malcom Jenkins.

Flyboy
12-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Looks like we're going corner in round one this year.

Welcome to New Orleans, Malcom Jenkins.

Not so fast, my friend. I'm still weary that we might not even address the defensive side of the ball in the first round. Without question we should, but it doesn't mean we will. The only offensive position I'd be okay with letting us take in the first round is an offensive lineman.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
12-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Not so fast, my friend. I'm still weary that we might not even address the defensive side of the ball in the first round. Without question we should, but it doesn't mean we will. The only offensive position I'd be okay with letting us take in the first round is an offensive lineman.

I shudder at the thought...

TigerBait45
12-27-2007, 06:39 PM
It really wouldn't shock me to see them take another WR.

Flyboy
12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Desean Jackson ftw!

TigerBait45
12-27-2007, 08:55 PM
No, it'd be someone like Jordy Nelson.

diabsoule
12-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't know of any first round receiver I would want at all. Period.

TigerBait45
12-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Thats exactly why the Saints will take one.

diabsoule
12-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Thats exactly why the Saints will take one.

Probably so. I can hear it now "The value was just too good to pass up."

diabsoule
12-29-2007, 02:42 PM
I posted a complete position-by-position free agency plan for us this offseason.

Let me know what you think

Flyboy
12-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Yay, bring on the offseason & draft. =/

diabsoule
12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Yay, bring on the offseason & draft. =/

At least our misery is over for now. I'm looking forward to the offseason. I have my plan outlined in the free agency thread.

Flyboy
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I've actually read through it. Very thorough and a good read. When I'm not so lazy I plan to give my thoughts & opinions on it.

Sveen
12-30-2007, 08:47 PM
The draft order as of now (I think) :) Let me know if there is something wrong.

TITANS WIN:

#1 Miami Dolphins: 1-15 (.539)
#2 St. Louis Rams: 3-13 (.516)
T-#3 Oakland Raiders 4-12 (.516)
T-#3 Kansas City Chiefs 4-12 (.516)
T-#3 Atlanta Falcons 4-12 (.516)
#6 New York Jets 4-12 (.523)
#7 San Fransisco 49ers 5-11 (.465)
#8 Baltimore Ravens 5-11 (.516)
#9 New Orleans Saints 7-9 (.441)
#10 Cincinnati Bengals 7-9 (.461)
T-#11 Buffalo Bills 7-9 (.516)
T-#11 Denver Broncos 7-9 (.516)
#13 Carolina Panthers 7-9 (.523)
T-#14 Detroit Lions 7-9 (.543)
T-#14 Chicago Bears 7-9 (.543)
#16 Arizona Cardinals 8-8 (.434)
#17 Minnesota Vikings 8-8 (.504)
#18 Houston Texans 8-8 (.516)
#19 Philadelphia Eagles 8-8 (.563)
#20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9-7 (.469)*
#21 Washington Redskins 9-7 (.558)*
#22 Seattle Seahawks 10-6 (.414)*
#23 Cleveland Browns 10-6 (.430)
#24 Pittsburgh Steelers 10-6 (.453)*
#25 Tennessee Titans 10-6 (.500)*
#26 New York Giants 10-6 (.516)*
#27 San Diego Chargers 11-5 (.500)*
#28 Jacksonville Jaguars 11-5 (.516)*
#29 Green Bay Packers 13-3 (.469)*
#30 Dallas Cowboys 13-3 (.496)*
#31 Indianapolis Colts 13-3 (.516)*
#32 New England Patriots 16-0 (.469)*

COLTS WIN:

#1 Miami Dolphins: 1-15 (.539)
#2 St. Louis Rams: 3-13 (.516)
T-#3 Oakland Raiders 4-12 (.516)
T-#3 Kansas City Chiefs 4-12 (.516)
T-#3 Atlanta Falcons 4-12 (.516)
#6 New York Jets 4-12 (.520)
#7 San Fransisco 49ers 5-11 (.465)
#8 Baltimore Ravens 5-11 (.520)
#9 New Orleans Saints 7-9 (.445)
#10 Cincinnati Bengals 7-9 (.457)
T-#11 Buffalo Bills 7-9 (.516)
T-#11 Denver Broncos 7-9 (.516)
#13 Carolina Panthers 7-9 (.523)
T-#14 Detroit Lions 7-9 (.543)
T-#14 Chicago Bears 7-9 (.543)
#16 Arizona Cardinals 8-8 (.434)
#17 Minnesota Vikings 8-8 (.504)
#18 Houston Texans 8-8 (.516)
#19 Philadelphia Eagles 8-8 (.563)
#20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9-7 (.469)*
#21 Tennessee Titans 9-7 (.508)
#22 Washington Redskins 9-7 (.558)*
#23 Seattle Seahawks 10-6 (.414)*
#24 Cleveland Browns 10-6 (.430)*
#25 Pittsburgh Steelers 10-6 (.453)*
#26 New York Giants 10-6 (.516)*
#27 San Diego Chargers 11-5 (.500)*
#28 Jacksonville Jaguars 11-5 (.516)*
#29 Green Bay Packers 13-3 (.469)*
#30 Dallas Cowboys 13-3 (.496)*
#31 Indianapolis Colts 14-2 (.508)*
#32 New England Patriots 16-0 (.473)*

* - In the postseason

diabsoule
12-30-2007, 08:53 PM
If we're picking at 9 that would put us in the Sedrick Ellis running, which would be outstanding.

Flyboy
12-30-2007, 08:55 PM
If we're picking at 9 that would put us in the Sedrick Ellis running, which would be outstanding.

Hell yeah. Or just a defensive playmaker in general.

Geo
12-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah, Ellis would be perfect if the Saints could land that pick. Huh, pretty strange if a 7-9 record gets you the 9th overall pick, if it works out like that.

Rich Jr
12-30-2007, 10:19 PM
The #1 defensive player on my board is Kenny Phillips.

Geo
12-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I'd rather have Ellis myself, although I see your point about quality of safety prospects taking quite a dip after Phillips.

Flyboy
12-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I'd rather have Ellis myself, although I see your point about quality of safety prospects taking quite a dip after Phillips.

I'm very weary of DTs ever since Jonathan Sullivan. I'm scarred for life. With that said, I would love to land Ellis too. Phillips wouldn't be bad at all either. Just defense plz.

diabsoule
12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm curious about how we'll be picking 9th with a 7-9 record myself

Flyboy
12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
#10, but I'll take it.

Geo
12-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Indeed, it looks like the Saints will have the 10th overall pick. (http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.htm)

Cincy at 9 could very well be a lock for Ellis, unfortunately. Granted they need a defensive end who is a pass rushing threat in the worst way.

Flyboy
12-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Indeed, it looks like the Saints will have the 10th overall pick. (http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.htm)

Cincy at 9 could very well be a lock for Ellis, unfortunately. Granted they need a defensive end who is a pass rushing threat in the worst way.

Cincy can take Gholston. We can take Ellis. :)

Or if they do take Ellis, that still leaves Malcolm Kelly/Kenny Phillips. I'm pretty content considering.

12-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Cincy can take Gholston. We can take Ellis. :)

Or if they do take Ellis, that still leaves Malcolm Kelly/Kenny Phillips. I'm pretty content considering.

Why would the Saints even consider taking another receiver like Malcolm Kelly in round one?

diabsoule
12-31-2007, 01:10 AM
Why would the Saints even consider taking another receiver like Malcolm Kelly in round one?

I highly doubt it. We have Meachem who should start alongside Colston next year. I'm sure we'll try and re-sign David Patten and Lance Moore so that would mean we only need to sign one to two more free agent WR's. I'd really like to us target Bernard Berrian in FA. We'd have a killer receiving threat if it was Colston, Berrian, and Meachem along with Patten and Moore as the 4 and 5.

I think we'll either go after someone like Malcom Jenkins, Kenny Phillips, Keith Rivers, or Dan Conner (although that would be a stretch depending on how he does in work outs.

Flyboy
12-31-2007, 01:58 AM

I meant Jenkins. Too many Malcolm's. :(

Sveen
12-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Sorry about getting your hopes up ;) Made a mistake in the Excel document I used to calculate the teams strength of schedule.

Stoopid512
12-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Right now I'd take Malcolm Jenkins, but the Saints need help at the CB position NOW, not two years from now. Find that help in FA. I'm sold on the saints taking a linebacker or trading the pick.

Auron
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Just so glad this painfully disappointing season is over, too many up and downs and what ifs.. A lot of work needs to be done in the off-season.

I'll post some of my Off-season thoughts later, but in short I think Sedrick Ellis, Kenny Phillips, Malcom Jenkins, Mike Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, and possibly Keith Rivers are the obvious targets... and I definitely think the 10 pick needs to be Defense.

Flyboy
12-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I'll post some of my Off-season thoughts later, but in short I think Sedrick Ellis, Kenny Phillips, Malcom Jenkins, Mike Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, and possibly Keith Rivers are the obvious targets... and I definitely think the 10 pick needs to be Defense.

Same here, however, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that pick was Desean Jackson. I'm just saying.

Auron
12-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Same here, however, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that pick was Desean Jackson. I'm just saying.
The only acceptable situation where I can see an Offensive player being taken, would be if most of those guys where off the board, and there was amazing Offensive Tackle value available. (like a Jake Long)

and I hope that's only if they land some prime Defensive Free Agents.

12-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Asante Samuel would look awesome on the Saints but im not so sure the team is willing to dish out that kinda dough in the offseason.

diabsoule
12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Here are the only two guys I'd like to see us take with the #10 pick (being reasonable):

DT Sedrick Ellis
LB James Laurinitis

I really want to see us go after Demorrio Williams in FA. He's a young, talented will linebacker who could step in immediately and upgrade that position. I also want to see us go after DT Corey Williams or some of that caliber. Albert Haynesworth will more than likely be re-signed by the Titans. I don't see why they would let him go.
Then for CB I want to see us go after Marcus Trufant and draft someone in and after round two.

I'd love to see Keith Rivers in the black and gold but he's a pure Will backer and while we need help at Will, Mike is where the upgrade is needed immediately. If we can't get Kawika Mitchell in FA then we have to target someone like Little Animal or trade down to get Dan Conner. We need an impact Mike NOW. The draft is pretty deep on weakside guys so we should be able to find our future weakside guy if we are able to properly scout the talent.

I want our first three picks to be on defense. We have to rebuild that side of the line. We can concentrate on our offense in FA. We don't need that much help there.

Stoopid512
01-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Asante Samuel would look awesome on the Saints but im not so sure the team is willing to dish out that kinda dough in the offseason.

I'm not sure I'd take him with that tirade he threw at the beginning of the season...last thing the Saints need is a distraction of that caliber on the team.

diabsoule
01-02-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm not sure I'd take him with that tirade he threw at the beginning of the season...last thing the Saints need is a distraction of that caliber on the team.

Exactly. I'd much rather go after someone like Marcus Trufant.

Whatever we do, we need to do a lot of it. Our defense needs to be overhauled and I am unsure if the defensive coordinator needs to be overhauled with it.

diabsoule
01-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm going to update my free agent targets as well as put in a mock draft very soon.

diabsoule
01-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Jammal Brown is being fined $25,000 for hitting a ref.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3181934

TigerBait45
01-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh! I remember seeing that. I thought he was gonna get thrown out for sure, but the ref did kinda jump right in so I guess he figured it was accidental.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Well, it was the same kind of situation with Mike McKenzie in Green Bay before we got him. Now, I don't know if Payton would take a risk on a disgruntled player like Jim Haslett did, but the McKenzie deal ended up being a pretty good one.

With that said, though, we have too many holes to fill to pour the kind of money that an Asante Samuel or a Marcus Trufant will demand into just one of those holes. Ideally, we will be looking at new starters at MLB, WLB, CB, FS, and DT next season. The only starters who really earned their job for next season are Smith, Fujita, Harper, and McKenzie. 4 guys, that's IT (eh, 5 - you can also add Charles Grant to that list due to his shiny new contract). We really should be looking at 5 or 6 new starters on the defensive side of the ball next season. We need to draft one or two guys who can step right in as an upgrade at one of those 5 positions, and obviously do a lot better in free agency this season. I say bring in a new defensive coordinator, too. It's kind of unfair to judge Gary Gibbs given what he's actually had to work with (a glaring example of bringing in players that do not fit his scheme - *coughjasondavidcough*); HOWEVER, with Payton completely focused on the offensive side of the ball, I think we need to bring in somebody to run the defense who actually has experience as an NFL defensive coordinator, not learning on the fly like Gibbs has done. This is quickly turning into a rant and probably belongs in the Offseason thread, so I'll end it here... just my 2 cents thrown in.

Flyboy
01-05-2008, 01:58 PM

I'd much rather trade for DeAngelo Hall.

Geo
01-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Asante Samuel threw a tirade?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I really don't think it necessary to dole out the big bucks for Samuel or Trufant, or trade a Day 1 draft pick for D-Hall, to fix our secondary. What we need is a solid cornerback to start opposite McKenzie, and a free safety who is solid in coverage to replace Josh Bullocks, who was absolutely awful. As of now, I'm really leaning towards Kenny Phillips with the #10 pick, which would solve the latter. If we go that route, I would love for us to sign somebody like Drayton Florence from San Diego to fill the #2 cornerback position. We could just as easily go CB with pick #10 and sign a safety in free agency (Gibril Wilson is a guy who comes to mind).

CB - Mike McKenzie
SS - Roman Harper
FS - Kenny Phillips
CB - Drayton Florence

or

CB- Mike McKenzie
SS - Roman Harper
FS - Gibril Wilson
CB - Malcolm Jenkins

Problems solved. :)

Flyboy
01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Mike McKenzie might be out the majority of next season -- our secondary is definitely in bad shape.

diabsoule
01-05-2008, 03:55 PM
We will have enough money to go after both Gibril Wilson and Drayton Florence. D-Flo is a guy I want really bad for the Saints. he can come in immediately and contribute. I somewhat doubt that we will go after Wilson, since he would compete with Bullocks for the starting position and I don't think the coaching staff wants Bullocks riding pine. We may look into a trade for Josh but I'm not so sure.

We have to go after someone like Trufant and Florence. It's something that we have to do. We need secondary help now. We can't wait a few years for it whoever we draft to develop.

We can actually go after LB help in the draft. If we just go after LB in the first round and second round we would be able to draft starts for both WLB and MLB.

We also have to address DT's in free agency. Corey Williams and Randy Starks or Damione Lewis need to be top players we target.

I'd love to be the GM during this offseason. It's a chance to really put a great group of guys together for quite a while and make a serious run in the NFC.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I really don't think McKenzie is going to miss the majority of anything. Although I'm unsure of the severity of the injury, it's totally possible to fully recover from a torn ACL in 8-10 months. I could be missing some bit of info, or flat out talking out of my ass, but I really don't see him missing more than the first half of the season at the absolute worst-case scenerio. No sarcasm, if I've got anything messed up, let me know.

Dia - I'm glad we agree on Florence... but Trufant, man... I don't know, I could see him pulling in a contract in the same ballpark as what Nate Clements got. Dude just had a monster season. I wanted him so badly when we traded up in 2003... ugh, let's just leave it at that.

Corey Williams, me likey. As for LB's in the draft, I think Ali Highsmith in Rd 2 would be a nice fit for WLB, but I'm not too sold on this year's MLB crop. Kawika Mitchell's another guy I'd really like for us to sign. Talking about the offseason is getting me pumped for next year already.

Flyboy
01-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I really don't think McKenzie is going to miss the majority of anything. Although I'm unsure of the severity of the injury, it's totally possible to fully recover from a torn ACL in 8-10 months. I could be missing some bit of info, or flat out talking out of my ass, but I really don't see him missing more than the first half of the season at the absolute worst-case scenerio. No sarcasm, if I've got anything messed up, let me know.

Mike D. has reported that there is a good chance McKenzie could miss all of the '08 season.

diabsoule
01-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Dia - I'm glad we agree on Florence... but Trufant, man... I don't know, I could see him pulling in a contract in the same ballpark as what Nate Clements got. Dude just had a monster season. I wanted him so badly when we traded up in 2003... ugh, let's just leave it at that.

Corey Williams, me likey. As for LB's in the draft, I think Ali Highsmith in Rd 2 would be a nice fit for WLB, but I'm not too sold on this year's MLB crop. Kawika Mitchell's another guy I'd really like for us to sign. Talking abouthe offseason is getting me pumped for next year already.

I want Kawika Mitchell as well. Him and Highsmith would be awesome. It'd be even sweeter if we could get Jonathan Goff in Rd. 3

diabsoule
01-26-2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/images/branding/masthead_subpages.gif

Dolphins want Saints' Carmichael
By Omar Kelly | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
January 26, 2008

MIAMI - The Dolphins are inching closer finalizing their coaching staff.

According to an NFL source, the Dolphins have offered the offensive coordinator job to Pete Carmichael Jr., who has spent the past two seasons as the Saints' quarterback coach, and New Orleans special teams coordinator John Bonamego has accepted the same position with the Dolphins.

Carmichael is credited for tutoring Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees in New Orleans and San Diego, and has worked with Saints head coach Sean Payton, a Bill Parcells protege.

He worked with new Dolphins coach Tony Sparano for two seasons, one in Washington and one in Cleveland. He has also spent four seasons working under former Dolphins coach Cam Cameron in San Diego from 2002-05.

If Carmichael accepts the job this will be his first time leading an offense at any level. Carmichael was considered for the same job under Cameron last year, but took his name out of the running.

Bonamego has coached nine seasons in the NFL and worked alongside Sparano in Jacksonville under then-Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin.

The Dolphins also hired former New Haven defensive coordinator Steve Bush, according to the Syracuse Post-Standard's Web site, Syracuse.com. He will be an offensive assistant for the Dolphins

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Per PFT:
POSTED 8:57 p.m. EST, January 26, 2008

SAINTS TO PLAY CHARGERS IN LONDON

When Drew Brees left the Chargers and signed with the Saints, he likely never dreamed that his opportunity to prove the folks in San Diego that they kept the wrong guy would occur on the other side of an ocean.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the New Orleans Saints will "host" the San Diego Chargers on October 26 in London.

The game will be played at Wembley Stadium, the same venue where the Dolphins hosted the Giants in October 2007. There was some thought that the game wouldn't be played at Wembley again, because the slick soccer pitch coupled with a cold rain made the thing a sloppy mess last time around.

This time, the league wanted to provide England with a potentially high-scoring game, and the Chargers and Saints have two of the league's marquee offenses.

:\

TigerBait45
01-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Hahaha, that is going to be absolutely comical.

I can just see big Charles Grant next to like..Tony Blair or something.

Rich Jr
01-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Are we losing a home game?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Are we losing a home game?

Yes. Yes we are.

Rich Jr
01-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Yes. Yes we are.That's BS. The only way this could get worse is if NFLN carried it.

Geo
01-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Whoa, this year's London game kicks ass. Saints win 38-35 imo.

Flyboy
01-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Whoa, this year's London game kicks ass. Saints win 38-35 imo.

Our offensive line against the Chargers' defensive line? Ehhh.. we've had major problems with stout defenses lately (except for Jacksonville this season) and 3-4 teams. I don't see this game going in our favor... well, I could see Brees throwing for 5 TDs to stick it to A.J. Smith.

Hmm.

diabsoule
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Our offensive line against the Chargers' defensive line? Ehhh.. we've had major problems with stout defenses lately (except for Jacksonville this season) and 3-4 teams. I don't see this game going in our favor... well, I could see Brees throwing for 5 TDs to stick it to A.J. Smith.

Hmm.

Your dead right. Unless we do some major changes in the offseason we're going to get beat. In front of a bunch of Englishmen.

Geo
01-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Forget Norv's Chargers traveling to the east coast, they'll be traveling across the Atlantic. This favors the Saints.

Also,

http://www.laist.com/attachments/la_adam1/bushbears2.jpg

I remember.

Flyboy
01-28-2008, 01:51 AM
Why'd you have to post that, Geo?

I'm going to go cry now.

diabsoule
01-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Saints Promote Two On Coaching Staff

NewOrleansSaints.com, NewOrleansSaints.com
Monday, January 28, 2008 - 3:39 PM

The New Orleans Saints have promoted two assistant coaches – Greg McMahon to special teams coordinator and Dennis Allen to secondary coach – it was announced today by Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis. Both McMahon and Allen joined the Saints with Coach Sean Payton’s original staff in 2006.

McMahon has been the assistant special teams coach since arriving in New Orleans, which followed a lengthy stretch in the college ranks where he earned a reputation as one of the nation’s top special teams coaches. He came to the Saints after a one-year stint at East Carolina. Prior to 2005, McMahon spent 13 years at the University of Illinois. From 2001-04, Illinois blocked 16 kicks and his special teams units accounted for nine touchdowns. Players under his guidance include the school’s leaders in punting average, single-season scoring and punt return yardage.

McMahon replaces John Bonamego, who has departed to become special teams coordinator of the Miami Dolphins.

Allen enters his third season in New Orleans after serving his first two years as assistant defensive line coach. He has been instrumental over the last two years in the club’s front four becoming one of the defense’s strengths, including posting 49.5 sacks since the start of the 2006 season. Allen joined the Saints after a four-year stint with the Atlanta Falcons. His final two years were as defensive assistant/quality control, with an emphasis on working with the defensive line, and in his first two seasons Allen helped tutor the secondary.

Allen – who was the secondary coach at Tulsa from 2000-01 before heading to the NFL – earned four letters at Texas A&M as a safety (1992-95), starting the final 21 games of his career. Allen replaces Tom Hayes on the Saints’ coaching staff.

SaintsFanForLife
01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
I think that was a dumb move the city really needs the money they get from home games. I thought the NFL was trying to help NO......If they wanted a high scoring game they should have sent NE and Indy

d34ng3l021
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
NE and Indy just played. The score was 24-20. Both those teams have good defenses now.

I really want to see Bengals vs Saints. The two number 9s dueling it out. That would be a sick game. When was the last time you guys played them?

Flyboy
01-29-2008, 03:06 PM
NE and Indy just played. The score was 24-20. Both those teams have good defenses now.

I really want to see Bengals vs Saints. The two number 9s dueling it out. That would be a sick game. When was the last time you guys played them?

Two seasons ago. And, they spanked our ass. Chad Johnson had a field day against our secondary (specifically Fred Thomas).

diabsoule
02-09-2008, 02:09 AM
If you guys get a chance, check out the forum mock to see what me and woodnick have accomplished with the Saints.

Sveen
02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Got a link? :)

diabsoule
02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Here's what I've done so far in the forum mock with the help of woodnick (new poster).

Trade 1:

Steelers receive:
RB Deuce McAllister

Saints receive:
4th Round Pick (#120)

---------------------------------------------------

Trade #2:

Saints Receive:
2nd Round Pick (#43)

Broncos Receive:
S Roman Harper
5th Round Pick (#141)

Trade 3:

Saints Receive:
CB Drayton Florence

Chargers Receive:
4th Round Pick (#120 from NO thru PIT)

Trade 4:

Chiefs Receive:
OL Jon Stinchcomb
3rd Round Pick (#79)
4th Round Pick (#110)

Saints Receive:
S Bernard Pollard
4th Round Pick (#101)

Trade 5:

Saints Receive:
1st Round Pick (#12)
3rd Round Pick (#74)

Vikings Receive:
1st Round Pick (#10)
5th Round Pick (#155 NO thru SD)
WR Devery Henderson

Trade 6:

Saints Receive:
DT Randy Starks
TE Ben Troupe
3rd Round Pick (#86)

Titans Receive:
3rd Round Pick (#74)

Trade 7:

Saints Receive:
LB Bradie James

Cowboys Receive:
3rd Round Pick (#86)

Trade 8:

Saints Receive:
LB D.J. Williams

Denver Broncos Receive:
2nd Round Pick (#41)

Trade 9:

Saints Receive:
1st Round Pick (#23)
2nd Round Pick (#62)

Kansas City Receives:
1st Round Pick (#12)

Trade 10:

Saints Receive:
5th Round Pick (#135 Overall)

Jaguars receive:
CB Jason David

Trade 11:

Saints Receive:
WR Jerry Porter

Raiders Receive:
5th Round Pick (#135 Overall)

Trade 12:

Saints Receive:
#81 Overall
#99 Overall
6th Round Pick
OT Todd Herremans

Eagles Receive:
#43 Overall

Depth Chart

Offense

QB:
Drew Brees
Colt Brennan

RB:
Reggie Bush
Pierre Thomas
Aaron Stecker

FB:
Mike Karney

WR
Marques Colston
Robert Meachem
Jerry Porter
David Patten
Lance Moore
Terrance Copper

TE:
Eric Johnson
Ben Troupe
Mark Campbell
Billy Miller

LT:
Jammal Brown
Jermon Bushrod

LG:
Jamar Nesbit
Andy Alleman

C:
Jeff Faine
Jonathan Goodwin

RG:
Jahri Evans

RT:
Todd Herremans
Zach Strief

Defense

LDE:
Charles Grant
Renaldo Wynn

LDT:
Randy Starks
Andre Fluellen
Brian Young
Antwan Lake

RDT:
Hollis Thomas
Kendrick Clancy
McKinley Boykin

RDE:
Will Smith
Josh Cooper

WLB:
DJ Williams
Scott Shanle
Troy Evans

MLB:
Bradie James
Mark Simoneau
Brian Simmons

SLB:
Scott Fujita
Ben Moffitt

CB:
Mike Jenkins
Mike McKenzie (IR)
Usama Young

CB:
Drayton Florence
Charles Godfrey
Jason Craft

SS:
Bernard Pollard
Chris Reis

FS:
Josh Bullocks
Kevin Kaesviharn

Draft Order:
#23 --> CB Mike Jenksins (USF)
#43 --> CB Charles Godfrey (Iowa)
#81 --> DT Andre Fluellen (Florida State)
#99 --> QB Colt Brennan (Hawai'i)
#101 --> LB Ben Moffitt (USF)

02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
RB:
Reggie Bush
Pierre Thomas
Aaron Stecker

Great to see Reggie atop the depth chart now. :D

SaintsFanForLife
02-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I like DJ williams at LB and the CB situation looks better..... nice.

SaintsFanForLife
02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I do want a different TE...one with a little more speed than johnson.

SaintsFanForLife
02-11-2008, 06:34 PM
What do you guys think about picking up Morgan?...I like Morgan if he is healthy better than Mark or Brian

diabsoule
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
What do you guys think about picking up Morgan?...I like Morgan if he is healthy better than Mark or Brian

Morgan won't be healthier. He hasn't been healthy in 3 years. I think it's time for him to retire.

diabsoule
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Mock draft is finished. What do you guys think?

Sveen
02-13-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't like us picking up Morgan. We need a guy on the rise (or in his prime), not a guy that is at the end of his career. He probably wouldn't have been to stay helaty thorughout the season either.

SaintsFanForLife
02-13-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't like us picking up Morgan. We need a guy on the rise (or in his prime), not a guy that is at the end of his career. He probably wouldn't have been to stay helaty thorughout the season either.

I think he would be a good leader and good as a situational LB

SaintsFanForLife
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
And I think Morgan would be good for a guy like Rivers(who I hope we pick up) I just want a better LB thats all.......God help us.

TigerBait45
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Morgan would've been great to get about 5 years ago, but I think hes past it.

RAZERSAINTS
02-14-2008, 07:48 AM
I still like Morgan maybe just me.....

Flyboy
02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Morgan? Ew. Hells no.

diabsoule
02-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Morgan? Ew. Hells no.

I agree. That's all we need on our defense. A concussion case. That'll really strike fear into the opposing offense.

SaintsFanForLife
02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
What about Z. Thomas?

Sveen
02-15-2008, 03:38 AM
I don't know. I would like to see us get a good young guy to put in the middle. A guy that can be on the team for more than a year or two :)

diabsoule
02-15-2008, 06:52 AM
I don't know. I would like to see us get a good young guy to put in the middle. A guy that can be on the team for more than a year or two :)

I'd like to see that as well but Zach Thomas would be an incredible tutor and give us about a year or two while the young linebacker is groomed to take his spot.

SaintsFanForLife
02-15-2008, 08:36 AM
I'd like to see that as well but Zach Thomas would be an incredible tutor and give us about a year or two while the young linebacker is groomed to take his spot.

Thats what we need right now.

SaintsFanForLife
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
What do you guys think about Alge Crumpler?

saintsfan912
02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Alge is better than anybody we have right now. Don't know why he was even released. Sure he had a downish year but who the hell did he have to throw him the ball?

SaintsFanForLife
02-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Alge is better than anybody we have right now. Don't know why he was even released. Sure he had a downish year but who the hell did he have to throw him the ball?

The main reason why he was cut is becouse he was very negative last year and he is a very lazy player always over weight coming in to training camp stuff like that. His cap number was only 1.3 mil. So not a big cap helper. Thats why I think its his work habits.........I would still take him right now I think he would be good for Brees. He needs a good TE. Im sure he misses Gates.

terribletowel39
02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
this is totally random, but i am getting for first over priced crawfish eating tomorrow. god i can't wait to make a trip back home to get some cheap and way better crawfish, but it will do. yea!! carry on.

saintsfan912
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I can't wait for crawfish season to really kick off. My family is from Pierre Part so I get my crawfish hella cheap.

Did anyone else see the Saints new schedule for next year? It says we are playing the Bears in Chicago AGAIN! Is that true?

SaintsFanForLife
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
this is totally random, but i am getting for first over priced crawfish eating tomorrow. god i can't wait to make a trip back home to get some cheap and way better crawfish, but it will do. yea!! carry on.

OK......LMAO man im hungry for some crawfish now...

terribletowel39
02-15-2008, 05:53 PM
I can't wait for crawfish season to really kick off. My family is from Pierre Part so I get my crawfish hella cheap.

Did anyone else see the Saints new schedule for next year? It says we are playing the Bears in Chicago AGAIN! Is that true?
yea they advertise it as cheap over here in Dallas at like 3.99/lb and at this wannabe bogus mardi gras parade they attempted over here it was selling for 6.95/lb and like 1.50 per corn and 2 potato. i can't wait till i visit some of my family once it really starts going.

RAZERSAINTS
02-16-2008, 07:39 AM
That is a crazy price

saintsfan912
02-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Yea, I get mine at 30, maybe 40 a sack. That's during the slow part of the season. I can usually get them at 20 a sack, cause of connections. 3.99 a pound is just terrible and 6.95 is just disgusting and I bet it all tasted like ****. You live in Dallas? Man I love that place.

terribletowel39
02-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Yea, I get mine at 30, maybe 40 a sack. That's during the slow part of the season. I can usually get them at 20 a sack, cause of connections. 3.99 a pound is just terrible and 6.95 is just disgusting and I bet it all tasted like ****. You live in Dallas? Man I love that place.
i didn't end up going because everywhere we called priced 5.99/lb and i didn't want to spend that much, cuz i eat anywhere from 8-10lbs on average and that would just ridiculous.

yes i live in dallas, don't love it though, its not that good. the ONLY reason i live here, is because of the job opportunity. nothing else, in my opinion, is better. i miss LA so much sometimes. oh well. can't wait to get home and get some prices like that.

RAZERSAINTS
02-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I understand the Job thing im in the position as you. Its hard to be away from home..

d34ng3l021
02-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I really like Reggie Bush as a guy. I hope he works out well for you guys, but he is pretty bust worthy as of now.

saintsfan912
02-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Yea cause anybody can be labeled a bust after 2 years right? I guess 2300 total yards from scrimmage and 14 TDs in a 2 back system is bust worthy right?

SaintsFanForLife
02-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Reggie is going to be great he is spending all offseason with Brain Westbrook that will help him alot. I think this will be his breakout year....Go Saints

Flyboy
02-24-2008, 02:47 PM
He's training with Westbrook? Didn't know that - that should definitely help him out, I hope.