PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

d34ng3l021
02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I said bust worthy as of now. For a guy who was so hyped up, and taken number 2 overall, he has not produced.

Of course he can get better. I would like him to get better.

saintsfan912
02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Is it his fault he was so hyped? Not a chance. I wouldn't call Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, ect busts even though they haven't done great yet. You can't call a 2 year pro a bust, it's just dumb.

d34ng3l021
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
What do you mean havent done great yet? Hawk has had 2 100+ tackle seasons, and Mario Williams just recorded a 14.5 sack season and seems to be only getting better.

Reggie Bush has 312 carries in his NFL career for 1146 yards with a 3.7 average. Jerious Norwood who was in the same class and a 3rd round pick has 202 carries for 1246 yards for a 6.2 average.

His receiving ability is good but has so many plays designed for him and has Brees as his QB so he is still going to get alot of looks. Even with that, his average YPC is 7.2 (Jerious Norwood has a 9.5 average).

Bush also has 10 fumbles and 5 lost in his career. Not so hot.

And he was leading the league in dropped passes before he got injured this season.

I would say he is a bust as of right now. Things could change and he could as of right now, remove his bust tag. And ****, I want him to do better because I LIKE him.

saintsfan912
02-24-2008, 05:46 PM
You will never win a bust argument on a 2 year player. You need 3 years, simple as that. Is Calvin Johnson a bust? Is Jamarcus Russell a bust? They were both hyped just as much if not more than Reggie and see what happened with them. You can't judge stats in this system, its a 2 back system where Deuce got the majority of the touches. Not to mention he was injured for the majority of last year.

TigerBait45
02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
I think you're forgetting how much hype Bush got, dude. Russell had nowhere near that.

But I don't agree that we should call him a bust yet. Hes still got some learning and growing to do as a player. Give him a few more years..if he still averages 3.7 yards a carry, then I'll agree.

saintsfan912
02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
How long was Russell a virtual #1 lock leading up to the draft? Quite a while. They hyped up his size, arm strength, ect so much it was ridiculous. Which is why I absolutely hate the media.

SaintsFanForLife
02-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Yea I think it will be great for him..

Flyboy
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Calling Bush a bust just after two years is just as bad as calling Mario Williams a bust after his rookie season. Overhyped? Yes. A bust? Can't judge that yet.

d34ng3l021
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I am just putting a temporary bust tag on him. It can be easily removed.

I guess thats the same thing as saying the jury isnt out on him.

lol.

SaintsFanForLife
02-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I just do not think he was ready for the full role last year. When Duce went down they asked him to do alot. He had a lot of pressure and he is just not built for that full time role yet.. The kid has so much talant its just a matter of time till he breaks out..Not that he has been doing nothing. But he will have a great pro bowl type year in the next 1-3 years..

RAZERSAINTS
02-25-2008, 09:32 AM
I agree he was no tready for it.; Duece went down and buch was put in a role he did prepare for..

Splat
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
There is talk the Chiefs could make a strong push for Jeff Faine (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6357) if he hits the FA market can I get some info on him don't know much about him?

Please and thanks.

Sveen
02-28-2008, 10:09 AM
For starters it looks like he has priced himself out of New Orleans. Rumors has it that he is looking to become the highest payed center (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3267738&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines) in the NFL. We re-signed backup C Jonathan Goodwin yesterday, so it's more than likely that Faine will hit the open market.

Splat
02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
From what I understand we are in a fight with TB on who gets to talk with him first this weekend.

Sveen
02-29-2008, 04:51 AM
No luck for you guys. He didn't even make it out of Tampa, and is now the highest payed center (http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/02/jeff-faine-boun.html) in the league.

SaintsFanForLife
03-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I am so glad we did not pay that money for him....He is ok. he is on his way down career waise.. Not worth that money.. Good for him.

Chucky
03-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I am so glad we did not pay that money for him....He is ok. he is on his way down career waise.. Not worth that money.. Good for him.

How is he on his way down? He is 26

TigerBait45
03-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Hes not that good. I mean, hes solid, but the highest paid center? No way.

DawgBone
03-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I hated him in Cleveland considering he was a RD1 pick. Great if not one of the best in pass protection, but gets dominated in the run game. That style just could not fit in our division with Pitt and the Ravens.

SaintsFanForLife
03-02-2008, 10:35 AM
How is he on his way down? He is 26

Just becouse he is young does not mean he is not on his way down. Thats why the browns traded him. He played good for us but his run blocking is crap and if im paying that much money I want a well balanced player...The Bucs love the run that is a big part of there game. So why pay that much money for a pass protect center?..He will play well for them but not as well as the money he is getting payed.....Great for him..

RAZERSAINTS
03-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Just becouse he is young does not mean he is not on his way down. Thats why the browns traded him. He played good for us but his run blocking is crap and if im paying that much money I want a well balanced player...The Bucs love the run that is a big part of there game. So why pay that much money for a pass protect center?..He will play well for them but not as well as the money he is getting payed.....Great for him..

I have to agree I dont now how he will help in a run based Offence?

Brothgar
03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to get a mock FA/ Draft goin and the Saints are astill open

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18848

Menardo75
03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
If they used Reggie correctly he would be a star I don't think he is a bust though

Eagles own the NFC East
03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
what happened to him? I saw his player profile and there were no stats, was he hurt the whole year im guessing? do you think he could get a lot of playing time this year?

diabsoule
03-06-2008, 10:50 PM
what happened to him? I saw his player profile and there were no stats, was he hurt the whole year im guessing? do you think he could get a lot of playing time this year?

He was injured all year. He tore up the practice squad, though. And right now it looks like he's going to be the #2 next to Colston. I think his main competition will be David Patten.

SaintsFanForLife
03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
He better do something what a waist so far.......Im sorry I just really hated the pick when it happened.

PackerLegend
03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I really wanted the Packers to take him at 16, now im really happy we took Harrell 1st who did nothing this year either and then grabbed James Jones in the 3rd instead.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
you know i had read he was having trouble learning the playbook and just wasn't being activated for games

Crickett
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
He better do something what a waist so far.......Im sorry I just really hated the pick when it happened.

Thats kind of understandable since in '06, the Saints biggest strength was their passing attack.

SaintsFanForLife
03-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Thats kind of understandable since in '06, the Saints biggest strength was their passing attack.

Thats how I felt ....why offence. I would have been happy with Poz. or Houston. And if they wanted offence why not G. Olson. all were on the board at the time. I really thought it was going to be one of the three. Then they pick a superstar practice squader......Boooooooo......They better get there **** togeather this year..

RAZERSAINTS
03-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Yea im not a big Meachem fan myself.

TigerBait45
03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Hes definitely got the ability..he just needs to live up to it. I think its way, way too early to write him off because we haven't even seen him on the field.

I hated the pick though. I wanted Posluzny or Chris Houston right there.

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Alright guys. April 21st I'm heading down to NO. It's been so long since I have been there, I'm turning to you guys for places I gots to go. I know the whole french quarter, aquarium, riverwalk. i'm bringing folks that have never been there. also, i'm mainly just looking for a primo crawfish spot.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't usually go to NO for my crawfish, there are much better places outside the city to get them. Not sure how far out yall are willing to go though.

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't usually go to NO for my crawfish, there are much better places outside the city to get them. Not sure how far out yall are willing to go though.
well i'm staying with a chick that goes to LSU so I'll be making the hour trip every morning and night. So anywhere in between there. If i go the weekend before, I might actually head over to Biloxito see some family and i know of some great places there for crawfish. just wanted to get some folks ideas. i'm sure 30 minutes to an hour is out of the question for some damn good cheap crawfish. so....let me know.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Looking for a restaurant or just somewhere to pick them up and eat them at home?

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
hell if i care. a shack is fine. i will find a park bench to start grubbing on. honestly i would prefer a shack, they always seem to be better.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Well there is this little place right by my house in St. Amant. Its 25 minutes from LSU and 45 minutes from NO so pretty much right in the middle. Great crawfish every year. I don't go there because I'm a coon ass and boil my own but if you don't know how then that's the place to go.

I guess it all depends on whether you can handle the seasoning.

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Well there is this little place right by my house in St. Amant. Its 25 minutes from LSU and 45 minutes from NO so pretty much right in the middle. Great crawfish every year. I don't go there because I'm a coon ass and boil my own but if you don't know how then that's the place to go.

I guess it all depends on whether you can handle the seasoning.
this offends me.

you are also going to have to give me a bit more. i'm from north LA so I'm not too familiar with where everything is down your way.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Sorry bout that. Most people that leave the cajun area tend to lose that tolerance for spice. It's a little place called Martinez Seafood. Would have to get off on the Geismar/Prarieville exit off I-10 (Right outside Baton Rouge). It's on the corner of Hwy. 431 and Black Bayou Road. If you google map that it gives you perfect directions. There are quite a few places that sell crawfish around here, I guess it just depends on preference. Most of the non coonass people I know prefer Martinez though.

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I hear ya but that ain't me. This a restaurant or one of your fellow coonasses making money?? The shackier the better. But I'll still probably check this place out. I'll probably end up doing crawfish every meal while down there.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Its a place that sells seafood. Not a restaurant, just a store that sells seafood. There are tons of places that sell crawfish around here, not sure of any restaurants though.

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
ok and just to clarify, they sell boiled not live, i'm making a trip, and i won't be bringing the boiler with me, haha.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
They actually sell both. The boiled is of course more expensive.

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
yea well I am used to 5.99/lb here in Dallas, so I think I'll be more than elated at whatever price they have there.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm not real sure what they are down here. All I know is I get my live crawfish at less than a buck a pound.

terribletowel39
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I figured that probably puts the boiled ones at most at $2/lb. which is heavenly. thats a four damn dollar difference. at 8-10 lbs that is a considerable difference.

saintsfan912
03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
It all really depends on what part of the season you get them. Now is probably really expensive, prob not 6 dollars a fricking pound though.

SaintsFanForLife
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Free agent QB Mark Brunell is scheduled for a visit with the Saints today

SaintsFanForLife
03-11-2008, 02:16 PM
what do you guys think about Mark as our backup?

Flyboy
03-11-2008, 02:25 PM
what do you guys think about Mark as our backup?

An upgrade over Jamie Martin, but that ain't saying much.

RAZERSAINTS
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Yea I guess Mark would be ok. I dont really care much for him. Really weak arm.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-07-2008, 02:45 AM
[Saints' front office, March 14]

Sean Payton: Hey, I think that we should get a top tier backup quarterback for Drew. Anybody have any ideas who we could get?
Mickey Loomis: Let's get Mark Brunell!
Sean Payton: Uh, isn't he retired?

Great job, Saints... replacing one old quarterback for another old LEFTY quarterback...

I am still crossing my fingers we get a quarterback in the later rounds... Matt Flynn, perhaps? ;)

GermanSaint
04-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Thats how I felt ....why offence. I would have been happy with Poz. or Houston. And if they wanted offence why not G. Olson. all were on the board at the time. I really thought it was going to be one of the three. Then they pick a superstar practice squader......Boooooooo......They better get there **** togeather this year..

that is called BPA .... why do you think Poz and Houston ( who was kind a workout warrior ) fell into the second round ? because our FO wasnt the only one rated him lower than the fans. You never draft a TE while having the oppurtinity for a higher rated WR .... we havent a history in drafting TEs high , also. cleeland is the exception of the rule AND he was bad.

iam ok with the pick , he is better than every WR this year

Geo
04-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Meachem is going to explode in his third year, just be patient guys. He'll make strives this season, but obviously the receiving core is pretty stacked with experienced and good receivers for 08, but come 09 he and Colston will be the two-headed monster. It will happen, there are very few receivers like Colston who come in the league as rookies and immediately tear it up, that handful is an exception to the rule which is why Colston is so special.

btw, I think the Saints could wait until next summer to sign Colston long-term. Does he deserve it now? Probably, yes. But they could wait another year, or maybe get something done this season when he's signed so cheap relatively to his production.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 11:22 AM
btw, I think the Saints could wait until next summer to sign Colston long-term. Does he deserve it now? Probably, yes. But they could wait another year, or maybe get something done this season when he's signed so cheap relatively to his production.

I think it'll get done during the season or before. Signing him up long-term and Evans are essential. I believe communication has already started between the parties (Colston that is). I think the next offseason will be about trying to retain Will Smith long-term.

Who Dat Nation
04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS SIGN CB AARON GLENN
For Immediate Release: April 7, 2008

New Orleans Saints Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis announced Monday that the club has signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Aaron Glenn.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, that came out of nowhere.

Who Dat Nation
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, bit surpirsed.

SaintsFanForLife
04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I dont think he will make the team. But who knows.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Well, that came out of nowhere.

And I'll tell you why, because the whole sports world was a.) focused on the NCAA Men's Basketball championship game, b.) the induction of Dick Vitale, Pat Riley, Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing and others to the Basketball Hall of Fame and c.) no one in the national media cares about the Saints... :(

But, I will commend the Saints in scooping up Aaron Glenn. Not saying that he'll be a starter or anything, but I think that this move might mark the end of Fred "Toast" (as diabsoule would say) Thomas or Jason "Arts and" Craft.

Just a thought.

TigerBait45
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Glenn probably isn't much better than Jason Craft at this point in his career.

SaintsFanForLife
04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Glenn probably isn't much better than Jason Craft at this point in his career.

Could be but he can play Man 2 man better than David.

diabsoule
04-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Could be but he can play Man 2 man better than David.

A wet noodle can play man to man better than David. That noodle could probably do a little more defending too.

Here's the problem. Aaron Glenn is how old? 39? He won't be in the league much longer and I see him as nothing more than a dime back at best. If anything, this means Freddy T won't be back, which isn't much because he didn't see the field that often last year anyway.

The main obstacle is the fact that we are signing guys who are better Cover 2 guys (Jason David, Randall ***) to play in our predominant man schemes. Unless we are considering a change to a Cover 2 scheme then we need to target CB's who fit our scheme.

saintsfan912
04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
You think *** forgot how to play man since college? He was a damn good man corner in Saban's pro defense, don't think he forgot how to be physical man.

SaintsFanForLife
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
You think *** forgot how to play man since college? He was a damn good man corner in Saban's pro defense, don't think he forgot how to be physical man.

I hope he did not forget we really need him to step up.

diabsoule
04-11-2008, 12:42 AM
I hope he did not forget we really need him to step up.

We also need him to be healthy, which is something he has had a hard time doing since he came into the league.

Geo
04-11-2008, 01:01 AM
A wet noodle can play man to man better than David. That noodle could probably do a little more defending too.

Here's the problem. Aaron Glenn is how old? 39? He won't be in the league much longer and I see him as nothing more than a dime back at best. If anything, this means Freddy T won't be back, which isn't much because he didn't see the field that often last year anyway.

The main obstacle is the fact that we are signing guys who are better Cover 2 guys (Jason David, Randall ***) to play in our predominant man schemes. Unless we are considering a change to a Cover 2 scheme then we need to target CB's who fit our scheme.
What's funny is that Cover 2 is designed to prevent big plays ... which could certainly help the Saints.

Flyboy
04-11-2008, 01:02 AM
What's funny is that Cover 2 is designed to prevent big plays ... which could certainly help the Saints.

Shut your mouth, outsider. =/

Geo
04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
The Saints could probably convert to a Tampa 2 tomorrow if they wanted. Especially as they now have an ideal Tampa 2 MLB in Vilma, and also have Morgan at WILL. Boy, it's going to be fun to watch those two side-by-side on the same field, if Morgan can stay healthy. Who knows, maybe it's Keith Rivers playing next to Vilma ...

What's the feeling at safety, think this is a make or break year for Bullocks? It is a contract year for him, but do you guys think the Saints go ahead and pull the trigger on a potential free safety prospect sometime in the Draft?

Flyboy
04-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I get the consensus it's a make or break it year for Bullocks without question. Rivers in round one Phillips in round two (doubtful)? I'd easily jump on that.

diabsoule
04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
The Saints could probably convert to a Tampa 2 tomorrow if they wanted. Especially as they now have an ideal Tampa 2 MLB in Vilma, and also have Morgan at WILL. Boy, it's going to be fun to watch those two side-by-side on the same field, if Morgan can stay healthy. Who knows, maybe it's Keith Rivers playing next to Vilma ...

What's the feeling at safety, think this is a make or break year for Bullocks? It is a contract year for him, but do you guys think the Saints go ahead and pull the trigger on a potential free safety prospect sometime in the Draft?

I think we could definitely draft Bullocks replacement some time in the draft, however, I think it will be in the later rounds. I have not given up on Bullocks like some Saints fans. I have actually brought up the point that I'd think he would make a better strong safety than free safety and have thought that for quite some time. I think who we will give up on sooner than Bullocks is Roman Harper. You don't mention a guy in trade talks (for Jeremy Shockey) unless your thinking about giving up on him.

I think the Saints could convert to a Tampa 2 scheme but where does that leave Fujita? And Dan Morgan? I'm giving him 5 games until he gets another concussion and that's being generous. Rivers is the man we need playing next to Vilma. I think they would be a terror playing side by side.

What we need, though, before any of that, is one or two talented defensive tackles. Say a Trevor Laws, Dre Moore, or Red Bryant in the 2nd with Frank Morton in the 7th. That would be ideal. At least for me anyway.

Flyboy
04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I think we could definitely draft Bullocks replacement some time in the draft, however, I think it will be in the later rounds. I have not given up on Bullocks like some Saints fans. I have actually brought up the point that I'd think he would make a better strong safety than free safety and have thought that for quite some time. I think who we will give up on sooner than Bullocks is Roman Harper. You don't mention a guy in trade talks (for Jeremy Shockey) unless your thinking about giving up on him.

The Giants asked for Harper (hm, shows his value) and he was injured for nearly all of his rookie season. It's way too soon to give up on him.

diabsoule
04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
The Giants asked for Harper (hm, shows his value) and he was injured for nearly all of his rookie season. It's way too soon to give up on him.

I didn't know they asked for him. I thought we offered him.

SaintsFanForLife
04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I didn't know they asked for him. I thought we offered him.

I heard reports that they asked and some that we offered. Not sure which if any are true.

Geo
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I believe the former. New York media (as mouthpieces for the team) and Giants fans are trying to play it off like the Saints offered, hahaha NO.

diabsoule
04-12-2008, 09:24 AM
One idea that I have been curiously tossing around in my head is a possible trade for NY Jets DT Dewayne Robertson. He's relatively young, he's talented, and has experience. He does come with a hefty contract but that's the price you have to pay sometimes.

This is a trade that was worked out in the mock draft and I wonder if realistically it could work:

New Orleans Saints receive:
DT Dewayne Robertson
Pick #102

NY Jets receive:
Pick #78

The value in the outdated trade value chart roughly equals out to a very, very high 4th rounder.

Sveen
04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Sounds good to me except for his contract. If we can get him to sign a new (and cheaper) deal it sounds very good :)

SaintsFanForLife
04-12-2008, 10:43 AM
A cheaper deal would be nice. But I would take him.

Flyboy
04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
The contract would probably keep me away.

Sveen
04-12-2008, 01:32 PM
If we can get him signed to a new deal I'm all for it :)
How about Robertson and Ellis inside and Vilma right behind them? Should make up for a nice improvement of our D!

diabsoule
04-13-2008, 07:20 AM
If we can get him signed to a new deal I'm all for it :)
How about Robertson and Ellis inside and Vilma right behind them? Should make up for a nice improvement of our D!

Ellis and Robertson would be pretty damn sweet, however, I am salivating at the thought of Robertson plus Trevor Laws (2nd) with Vilma and Keith Rivers playing behind them.

What I like about Laws is that he plays like a DE and has played that position before in college. On passing downs if we have McCray, Grant, Laws, and Smith all lined up then the opposing QB would have almost no time in the pocket with all of those pass rushers.

DJC
04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/featured/17655669.html

New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush recently joked that his friend and neighbor, Hornets point guard Chris Paul, is putting a lot of pressure on me with his MVP-caliber season.

Now Ive got to come and have an equal or better year, Bush said. Ive got to get the crowd chanting MVP.

Hopefully he can stay healthy and finally break out this year. Pierre Thomas should take some carries and pressure off of him too. Sounds like he's really getting dedicated and motivated though.

d34ng3l021
04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/featured/17655669.html

Hopefully he can stay healthy and finally break out this year. Pierre Thomas should take some carries and pressure off of him too. Sounds like he's really getting dedicated and motivated though.

Drew Brees is actually not your QB. Its Chris Paul in a costume.

SaintsFanForLife
04-14-2008, 11:30 PM
According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Saints and McAllister have worked out a revised contract. The details aren’t clear, but Schefter says that McAllister could make the full $4.7 million he was due to earn this season if he returns to the form that got him said contract.

SaintsFanForLife
04-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Im glad we are hanging on to McAllister for now.

diabsoule
05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
What do you guys think Pierre Thomas' role is going to be this season?

SaintsFanForLife
05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
What do you guys think Pierre Thomas' role is going to be this season?

Its hard to say. If Deuce is healthy then I see him only as a ST guy.

Flyboy
05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Its hard to say. If Deuce is healthy then I see him only as a ST guy.

Ehhh, I doubt that. First, even if Deuce is back he won't truly be back - not with those type of injuries. I hope to see Deuce & PT split time as the workhorse backs with Reggie Bush being used all around the field.

saintsfan912
05-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey, I need a co-gm for a full 53 man NFL draft. Pm me if you are interested or just post here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22494

CJSchneider
05-30-2008, 07:24 PM
On NFL Total Access, Adam Scheffter just said New Orleans was a strong possibility for J.T.
What are your thoughts? What would we be willing to give up for someone of his age?

The Legend
05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
why would the saints go for him they have 3 good DE
plus they have to sign Will Smith to a huge contract

CJSchneider
05-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, true enough, Bobby McCray is good enough to be a starter (in my opinion) should Charles Grant ,um...not be available (I believe he will), but Miami has stated they want a 1st round pick in return. Too steep of a price in my opinion.

diabsoule
05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I think it's just pure speculation at this point. Although I like Sheffter and think he is accurate more than any others, I think he is off on this one.

Flyboy
05-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Giving up a third or fourth for Taylor assuming we can get him for a decent contract would be great.... with that said, I doubt that happens.

eaglesfan_45
06-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Saints Madden Ratings

http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/madden-09-player-ratings/saintsd.jpg
http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/madden-09-player-ratings/saintso.jpg

saintsfan912
06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Didn't see a Saints offseason Pic thread. Didn't like going through the pages and pages of pics in that NFL general thread.

Well nvm. For some reason I can't figure out how to post the pics off the Saints website. Only the link shows up.

Flyboy
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Jahri Evans is underrated. Per usual.

diabsoule
06-10-2008, 09:56 PM
There's a lot of those ratings that I question.

Hwoarang
06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Jahri Evans is underrated. Per usual.Everyone but EA knows about him now. I get last year him being overlooked but after the year he had last year less than an 88 is unacceptable.

saintsfan912
06-13-2008, 08:00 PM
This was 2 days ago and nobody posted about it. We locked up Big Will til 2014! Lets just hope he doesn't decline after an extension like Charles Grant.

http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/6/Saints%20and%20Smith%20Agree%20to%206%20Year%20Con tract%20Extension.aspx

Flyboy
06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Haha, it was being talked about on the NFL board.

Bodsy
06-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Where did you get those images from?

cause they look slick

diabsoule
07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
What do you guys think of the possiblity of Marvin Mitchell becoming our WLB?

SaintsFanForLife
07-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't know. I guess I would be ok with I really dont like Shanle.

TigerBait45
07-18-2008, 12:26 PM
He can't be much worse.

wicket
07-18-2008, 03:01 PM
He can't be much worse.

tru that!!!

diabsoule
07-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Jerametrius Butler View NewsBreakerBack to Fantasy Home

NEWS: Former Rams and Saints CB Jerametrius Butler has retired from football.

IMPACT: Only 29, Butler just wasn't the same player after tearing his ACL on the first day of training camp in 2005 with St. Louis. His best season was in 2004, when Butler picked off five passes and broke up 19 as the Rams' top corner.

On sirius it was reported saints called takeo spikes

BengalMedic
07-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Bengal fan here who's also a Saints fan and minus the move over my Bengals to get Ellis, love what the Saints have done in the off season and through the draft.

I was wondering what you guys think of the situation where your pickup of Shockey could end up costing you a 1st rounder ?? Anyway, I'm going to the preseason game with the Bengals and Saints and will be looking forward to seeing some of the youngsters play on both sides. Later...

CJSchneider
07-26-2008, 11:12 AM
We got Shockey for a 2nd and 5th. I do however see N.O. using that 1st round pick of ours and trading down to gain some picks.

diabsoule
07-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Deuce had an MRI today becuase of fluid buildup in his injured knee. The MRI came up negative but something tells me that he's not going to be the same Deuce that we knew and loved.

BTW, anyone know how Pierre Thomas is doing in camp?

Sveen
08-31-2008, 10:05 AM
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A hurricane has driven the Saints out of New Orleans again. They don't plan on being gone nearly as long this time.

With Hurricane Gustav bearing down on the Gulf Coast three years after Katrina swamped New Orleans, the Saints left Saturday for Indianapolis, where they will spend the week preparing for the Sept. 7 opener against Tampa Bay.

The Saints will practice at the Colts' new Lucas Oil Stadium. Their schedule wasn't immediately known, although meetings were set for Sunday at their hotel.

The Tampa Bay game is scheduled for the Louisiana Superdome, and the Saints plan to be there for it unless damage from Gustav dictates otherwise. The storm could hit the mainland as early as Monday, and Saturday it was on the verge of the strongest classification of Category 5, with winds above 155 mph.

New Orleans officials aren't using the Superdome as an evacuation shelter with Gustav. Three years ago, it became a symbol of pain and suffering when thousands of residents were stranded by Katrina floodwaters that poured through broken levees.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/08/30/saints.indy.ap/index.html

Flyboy
08-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Sveen! Where the hell you been, man?!

Sveen
08-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Working. All summer long, but I'm back now :)

wicket
09-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Working. All summer long, but I'm back now :)
then world order is restored once again

Flyboy
09-07-2008, 12:33 AM
All right, guys. It's that time. Game day. Playing against the defending NFC South Championships.

We have to win this one, without question. An improved defense has been brought in, word has it that if Mike McKenzie can't go tomorrow then we'll see Randall *** & Tracy Porter starting. We must contain Joey Galloway. Must, must, must. Our offense should be explosive, but the Bucs did a great job on getting pressure on Brees last season - adding Jeremy Shockey to the fold, should make our offense even scarier.

Let's go out and get it, guys.

GEAUX SAINTS!!

Caddy
09-07-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to this game. This will no doubt be a crucial game as far as the NFC South goes. I'm really looking forward to seeing Joey Galloway play again. I'd love to see a huge play like the first Saints/Bucs game last season when Clayton destroyed Kaesviharn??? in the backfield.

In all honesty I think the NFC South will be decided between these two teams and if Brees can click with Reggie, Henderson, Colston and Shockey, todays game should be great.

wicket
09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I am so bummed out they show the jets vs the phins here. Gotta love our game (and a couple of others) way more than that game. How do you lot think maechem is on the depthchart after his great preseason

Sveen
09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
In Norway they are showing the Saints :)

Caddy
09-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Congrats on the win. The better team on the day won the game.

CJSchneider
09-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Win #1 in the books.
Reggie had a sick game and Vilma and Fujita played great on D.

CJSchneider
09-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Game stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore;_ylt=AnMbYNAPBN7YgMPmfZsTbWdDubYF?gid=200 80907018)

Flyboy
09-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Congrats on the win. The better team on the day won the game.

Appreciate it, man. Great game.

d34ng3l021
09-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I am watching the game and there are 3 minutes left in the first quarter. Pierre Thomas is a stud. He needs more touches. Bush shows so much hesitation hitting a hole.

CJSchneider
09-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Colston out 4-6 weeks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsEUUwc8X5WIxEdK16E_3Jk5nYcB?slug=ap-saints-colstonout&prov=ap&type=lgns)

I'm upset, obviously, but I'm sure Patten, Henderson and Meachem will make up for the slack.

Your thoughts?

Sveen
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, it's time for Meachem to finally dress up on gameday.

wicket
09-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I had the same thought, I loved the way he looked in the preseason. If he plays up to potential we have an elite receiving corps even without shockey and bush. The weapons of brees are gonna be insane.

Caddy
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Give Meachem a turn for once. I'm sure he is sick of not dressing after 17 consecutive games or whatever it is.

diabsoule
09-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Saints release DT Hollis Thomas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ab9626&template=without-video&confirm=true

Also, Robert Meachem will be suiting up against the Redskins

CJSchneider
09-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Saints release DT Hollis Thomas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ab9626&template=without-video&confirm=true

Also, Robert Meachem will be suiting up against the Redskins

Man I'm excited to watch him do well.

CJSchneider
09-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I just heard ***, Harper and Fujita will be out this game. We already knew Colston will be out 4-6 weeks with his thumb injury.
I'm not worried, but - wow!

Flyboy
09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, lots of defensive players missing for us. :( The good thing is that I expect Mike McKenzie to play which will help immensely. Porter & McKenzie should do just fine together.

I get an odd feeling about this game just like I did in 2006. It's a game we SHOULD win, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost at all. The Redskins have a good defense and can pressure Brees. We must contain Portis in the run game and not like Santana Moss get behind our secondary. Hopefully we'll pull out the win, though.

I probably won't be able to watch the game... ah well. :(

CJSchneider
09-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Lots of dirty words, thats all I have to say.

wicket
09-14-2008, 05:06 PM
We seriously just cocked the game up, the defense wasnt looking good at all and tbh i didnt like the play calling one bit. Maechem is the real thing though

CJSchneider
09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm still upset about this one.

Flyboy
09-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Told ya it gave me a 2006 feel to the game.

diabsoule
09-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Told ya it gave me a 2006 feel to the game.

I had the same feeling. Our play calling was just atrocious.

Saints-Tigers
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Our playcalling has been poor since the NFC title game IMO, Sean Payton is a little full of himself since everyone labeled him the brilliant playcaller, he gets way to cute, instead of just keeping it simple.

CJSchneider
09-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Our playcalling has been poor since the NFC title game IMO, Sean Payton is a little full of himself since everyone labeled him the brilliant playcaller, he gets way to cute, instead of just keeping it simple.

All too true.

diabsoule
09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
All too true.

I agree. He needs to settle down and instead of doing cute swing passes, do something else. Something that will work.

And by the way, I hate Reggie Bush.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah really frustraiting seeing him be fairly aggressive all game, then go unltra conservative at the end. Not how you win games. If anything he should take note from Zorn on the way they finished the last drive lol.

CJSchneider
09-16-2008, 08:38 PM

I just wish he had an up-the-gut, smash-mouth, power runner to compliment him.

diabsoule
09-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else have a bad feeling about the Denver game?

saintsfan912
09-19-2008, 04:25 PM
I have a very bad feeling about the Denver game. Especially with the officiating in Denver last week. Who knows though, Brandon Marshall may be suspended again.

Flyboy
09-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I agree. He needs to settle down and instead of doing cute swing passes, do something else. Something that will work.

Yeah, hate the guy that made the GW play against TB and nearly won the WAS game for us.

saintsfan912
09-19-2008, 06:19 PM
How can you hate Reggie? It's not like the line is actually blocking.

RCAChainGang
09-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Reggie Bush is a threat. If you are a saints fan how do you hate him?

He may not be the best straight up running-back, but he helps in the return game and receiving game.

His YAC is great.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
What happened?

I thought he'd be back to old form in the 4-3. I haven't been paying as much attention to him as i used to, but nothing stands out so far. Is he just washed up?

NY+Giants=NYG
09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
What happened?

I thought he'd be back to old form in the 4-3. I haven't been paying as much attention to him as i used to, but nothing stands out so far. Is he just washed up?

I heard he was dominating.. Hopefully he plays 80% of their snaps, and they extend him. That means good news for us.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I heard he was dominating.. Hopefully he plays 80% of their snaps, and they extend him. That means good news for us.

i saw some of the Saints game yesterday, he didn't stand out to me. I hope he dominates too, for the same reason youre hoping so.

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
He was just leading the NFL in tackles as early as last week, I know because he was my IDP sleeper heading into the year, not sure how he fared last week but he looks like a good bet to return to form of 130+ tackles in a season.

diabsoule
09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I wasn't able to watch much of the game yesterday but I have watched the game against TB and most of the Washington game.

I don't know if it's scheme or the lack of aggressiveness shown by our defensive coordinator but there has been only the occasional play that has made Vilma stand out. He's a drastic improvement over Mark Simoneau but he is not the force I thought he would be when we traded for him. He could probably wreak more havoc if Sedrick Ellis (whose been amazing) would have someone more capable playing next to him to free up Vilma and the other LB's.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I wasn't able to watch much of the game yesterday but I have watched the game against TB and most of the Washington game.

I don't know if it's scheme or the lack of aggressiveness shown by our defensive coordinator but there has been only the occasional play that has made Vilma stand out. He's a drastic improvement over Mark Simoneau but he is not the force I thought he would be when we traded for him. He could probably wreak more havoc if Sedrick Ellis (whose been amazing) would have someone more capable playing next to him to free up Vilma and the other LB's.

yeah, so far i haven't seen him make a play. tackle numbers are fine and dandy, but theyre overrated. he was a playmaker before, i haven't seen it yet.

he really needs to be in a Tampa 2.

Denver Bronco99
09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
If anyone watched the game the Real Backer from the U was in Orange....DJ Williams single handedly saved the game for us on a 3 and 1, he flys through and takes pierre down for a loss....if they would have converted they wouldnt have had to rely on gramatica.

ImBrotherCain
09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
If anyone watched the game the Real Backer from the U was in Orange....DJ Williams single handedly saved the game for us on a 3 and 1, he flys through and takes pierre down for a loss....if they would have converted they wouldnt have had to rely on gramatica.

Really.... This has nothing to do with this thread.

On another note. I have always liked Vilma and i do hope he isnt washed up.

saintsfan912
09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
He's still flying all over the field, not close to being washed up or being a shell of his former self. He is still obviously getting used to the defense, its not like he's had a ton of time in New Orleans.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Are you guys going to extend him?

saintsfan912
09-22-2008, 02:26 PM
I sure as hell hope so. He's the first athletic LB we've had since the Dome Patrol.

awfullyquiet
09-22-2008, 02:36 PM
What happened?

Tim Brady and Brad Sanders got injured.

CC.SD
09-22-2008, 03:28 PM

The real linebacker from the U right now is Beason.

bored of education
09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Tim Brady and Brad Sanders got injured.

I know Tim Brady.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
The real linebacker from the U right now is Beason.

Don't forget about Rocky McIntosh, and Tavares Gooden looks like he could be a gem in the future for the Ravens.

Go Blue
09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Has Adrian Arrington gotten any playing time yet?

saintsfan912
09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't think Arrington is even on the team anymore. Not positive on that though. We've used about 7 different WRs and he hasn't been one of them.

Flyboy
09-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Has Adrian Arrington gotten any playing time yet?

Was placed on the IR.

TigerBait45
09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Yesterday was bad.

But we went into Denver, a place where only the Broncos win and put up 500 yards and probably should've won the game. It's hard to look at yesterday and not see some positives.

BlindSite
09-22-2008, 05:18 PM
He'd do well with a better strong side linebacker beside him.

derza222
09-22-2008, 05:24 PM
People constantly blamed Vilma's lack of explosion on the 3-4, when to some Jets fans it seemed like injuries took a toll. I believe this is his fifth year...third in the 4-3 (first two in the 4-3 then the next two in the 3-4). He wasn't great either year in the 3-4 though he racked up tackles, but what most people don't realize is he didn't do much more than rack up tackles his second year in the 4-3 either. The only season that he really consistantly made big plays and stood out as a stud was his rookie year. I hope it's just a scheme adjustment, but I can't say I'd be surprised if he isn't a big play stud in New Orleans.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-22-2008, 05:40 PM

DJ was an obvious monster that game, but on that instance he was untouched to the runner, with no one trying to tackle him. Many of his tackles also came on completions against him. I thought he played very well, i'm just saying.

Vilma was clearly invisible against the Broncos, but i wouldn't jump to conclusions based on only that. I want to see another game before i comment in a general way, but last week appears to be the one big drop in tackles, which is where he usually makes his impact. Given that, i'm not sure if he's making the tackles for short gains, or what. Regardless, 1 PD and solid tackle numbers through the first 2 games indicate he was at least a reliable player out there.

Denver Bronco99
09-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Im just pointing that out

Vilma was one of my favorites comming out him and DJ were animals...and its great to see them both in the right position/scheme

Menardo75
09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah I think Vilma still has a lot left he will be fine.

Saints-Tigers
09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
He didn't play all that well this week, but he's piling up tackles and playing well in coverage, that's really all we want from him.

diabsoule
09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
He'd do well with a better strong side linebacker beside him.

Right now Scott Fujita is hurt. Once he's back in the line-up he'll help Vilma. What's holding our front seven back is Scott Shanle. I'd say that he'd be a very good backup but he's just not starting material. He's good on blitzing but that's it. He's not fast enough when dropping back in coverage and doesn't know how to avoid being blocked.

Joeyjr09
09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
He's played a whole what 3 games since missing an entire year with an injury?

Let's give him a couple weeks to get used to football again before we say he is washed up.

Besides, it's not like he's playing with a bunch of studs around him on that defense. He's probably their best physical talent on that side of the ball.

giantsfan
09-23-2008, 12:11 AM
He's played a whole what 3 games since missing an entire year with an injury?

Let's give him a couple weeks to get used to football again before we say he is washed up.

Besides, it's not like he's playing with a bunch of studs around him on that defense. He's probably their best physical talent on that side of the ball.

That Defensive line has talent, and while the secondary is thin at the top they do have good depth. My biggest issue with that D is why aren't they attacking more? The best way to cover a poor secondary is to get pressure, when you have Will Smith, Charles Grant, Sed Ellis and McCray on your line and you're not getting pressure then you're doing something wrong. I'd really love to see what that saints D would look like with a Co-ordinator who mixed things up and liked to attack. They have guys there that can be useful enough to give that prolific offense a chance to win each game.

diabsoule
09-23-2008, 12:32 AM
That Defensive line has talent, and while the secondary is thin at the top they do have good depth. My biggest issue with that D is why aren't they attacking more? The best way to cover a poor secondary is to get pressure, when you have Will Smith, Charles Grant, Sed Ellis and McCray on your line and you're not getting pressure then you're doing something wrong. I'd really love to see what that saints D would look like with a Co-ordinator who mixed things up and liked to attack. They have guys there that can be useful enough to give that prolific offense a chance to win each game.

Exactly my thoughts. I wanted Gary Gibbs gone two years ago as DC but somehow he's lingered around. I wouldn't mind keeping him on staff but he's not the D-Coordinator that the Saints need. They need someone aggressive, someone who can mix things up and create pressure with our front four.

I've been looking around the league and I honestly can't find many people that would fit that description. The only guys I've found that I'd really like the Saints to take a look at to replace Gibbs are Winston Moss, Kurt Schottenheimer, Mark Duffner, and Raheem Morris. I'd like Morris the most, followed by Duffner, Moss, and Schottenheimer.

Right now I don't think it's scheme, I think it's coaching and Gibbs isn't fit to be a DCoordinator in the NFL.

giantsfan
09-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Exactly my thoughts. I wanted Gary Gibbs gone two years ago as DC but somehow he's lingered around. I wouldn't mind keeping him on staff but he's not the D-Coordinator that the Saints need. They need someone aggressive, someone who can mix things up and create pressure with our front four.

I've been looking around the league and I honestly can't find many people that would fit that description. The only guys I've found that I'd really like the Saints to take a look at to replace Gibbs are Winston Moss, Kurt Schottenheimer, Mark Duffner, and Raheem Morris. I'd like Morris the most, followed by Duffner, Moss, and Schottenheimer.

Right now I don't think it's scheme, I think it's coaching and Gibbs isn't fit to be a DCoordinator in the NFL.

I'm a big Clancy Pendergast fan, he's my second favorite DC behind spags because he makes his scheme around his players strengths and puts them in the best position to succeed instead of playing them where he wants a player to be able to be successful. He's really good at Utilizing his players, and mixes his fronts a lot to give people chance to make plays from different positions.

I know it would never happen but it'd be funny if the rams cleared out their coaching staff this offseason, Hasslett came back to the Saints to replace Gibbs and ended up playing a big part in getting the saints a SB.

diabsoule
09-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm a big Clancy Pendergast fan, he's my second favorite DC behind spags because he makes his scheme around his players strengths and puts them in the best position to succeed instead of playing them where he wants a player to be able to be successful. He's really good at Utilizing his players, and mixes his fronts a lot to give people chance to make plays from different positions.

I know it would never happen but it'd be funny if the rams cleared out their coaching staff this offseason, Hasslett came back to the Saints to replace Gibbs and ended up playing a big part in getting the saints a SB.

I've really liked what Haz has done as a DC, and he's done all of that with little to no talent on that team.

wicket
09-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Yesterday was bad.

But we went into Denver, a place where only the Broncos win and put up 500 yards and probably should've won the game. It's hard to look at yesterday and not see some positives.
tru but there are also plenty of negatives to be seen, however i think the better team lost that game tbh.

NOLAFan
09-23-2008, 11:33 AM
While we should have made that FG in the end, we put ourselves into that position.

I like Sean Payton, i really do, but so far he has not earned the 5-year contract. If he can't turn this into a winning season i would see him on the hot seat. With all this talent we shouldn't be losing these games. Yeah our D is horrible at times, but out offense should still be scoring at will, but they aren't. Someone should put a fire under Payton's ass, and tell him to knock it off with these cutsie gimmick plays ala double reverse.

Flyboy
09-23-2008, 11:33 AM
You do realize that we're the most injured team in the NFL, right?

BRAVEHEART
09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Do any of you saints fan know if Meachum will get more passes thrown his way?

He's talented no doubt, and proved that he's a deep target who can make plays. When does he get more plays for him?

NOLAFan
09-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet but Shockey is out for 3-6 weeks with a hernia. Here is the link... http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8594900/Saints'-Shockey-to-undergo-hernia-surgery-

Yeah i know that we are the most injuried team in the NFL but we still have enough talent to win right now. If we keep playing the way we are, by the time Colston, Shockey, and etc are back it won't matter because we will be in to big of a hole to pull out off.

The Legend
09-23-2008, 07:43 PM
30 Tackles in 3 Games isnt bad.

yourfavestoner
09-23-2008, 08:10 PM
30 Tackles in 3 Games isnt bad.

They traded for him with the intention that he'd be better than "not bad."

Zim3031
09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know/remember the conditional terms for the trade, or was that never released?

J-Shock
09-23-2008, 09:45 PM
DJ Williams single handedly saved the game for us on a 3 and 1, he flys through and takes pierre down for a loss....if they would have converted they wouldnt have had to rely on gramatica.

Not to beat a horse to death but that's not what saved the game.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/football/nfl/09/22/tracker/T1_0922_winborn.jpg

I think Zebras helped.

saintsfan912
09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Not to beat a horse to death but that's not what saved the game.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/football/nfl/09/22/tracker/T1_0922_winborn.jpg

I think Zebras helped.

They seem to be doing that alot in Denver this year.

Ravens1991
09-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Back on topic...

I hope he can get his stuff together and be what he used to be. If he had 2 run stuffers infront of him his whole career like Ray Lewis did he would have had a great career so far.

J-Shock
09-23-2008, 09:58 PM
As previously stated he's better with Scott on the strong side.

jared
09-23-2008, 11:05 PM
I sure as hell hope so. He's the first athletic LB we've had since the Dome Patrol.

Scott Fujita is a hell of an athlete at LB. Especially considering he's large enough to play defensive end.

diabsoule
09-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Right now Vilma is playing with rookie JoLonn Dunbar next to him at SLB (a position he is not suited for) and Scott Shanle on weakside. Neither are playmakers or household names.

Once Fujita comes back that will help free up Vilma. We also need another big body next to Ellis to help free up our linebackers.

CJSchneider
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
No kidding, why can't we catch a break!

diabsoule
09-24-2008, 01:56 PM
A few roster moves by the Saints:

QB Joey Harrington has been replaced and replaced by TE Sean Ryan.
OL Matt Lehr has replaced OL Jamar Nesbit on the roster.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/09/roster_changes_for_the_new_orl.html

diabsoule
09-25-2008, 07:57 PM
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/09/thursdays_saints_injury_report.html

Jonathan Goodwin has tweaked his hamstring and Aaron Glenn will be out for Sunday's game bringing the total number of players out for this game up to six, including Mike Karney. There is the possiblity that 14 players will be out for this game.

Flyboy
09-26-2008, 04:05 PM
It's just laughable at this point.

TigerBait45
09-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Next week the entire active roster will be declared inactive. we'll have to play the practice squad.

diabsoule
09-28-2008, 03:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3612784

Coach Payton fined for criticizing the officiating during the Broncos game.

wicket
09-28-2008, 04:45 AM
damn we really are injury central, like to see carl nicks in there for the first time though. I also have a feeling Maechem is gonna have a good one tonight

CJSchneider
09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3612784

Coach Payton fined for criticizing the officiating during the Broncos game.

"He told teams the league welcomes criticism but only in private communication with the league office. Public criticism will result in disciplinary action, the commissioner said."

That's a bunch of crap. What's he supposed to say? "The did a great ****ing job!" I guess the standard answer will be "Refs? Oh didn't you read the memo? We can't criticize them in front of you guys anymore, but don't worry, the leauge office will be getting a letter detailing where they ****ed up."

HawkeyeFan
09-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Question on haslett. Were his practices open to media?

TigerBait45
09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
You guys have my condolences.

wicket
10-01-2008, 07:32 AM
4 weeks into the season one gets a bit of an idea where we stand. We ought to have a bit of an idea where we stand now so I think we could do a bit of guesswork and see with what kind of record we end the season.
Here is my estimation of the rest of the games.

5 Oct 06 MIN @ NO
Win, we will have a tough time containing their run however we will be more destructive ourselves on quick passes like screens.

6 Oct 12 OAK @ NO
Win. It's gonna be tougher then most think because we will have trouble passing on them, the lack of pass-rush however will give Brees enough time to light them up.

7 Oct 19 NO @ CAR
Loss. I'm not sure about this either way but Carolina is looking good this far and to go to their house and win is gonna be a toughie.

8 Oct 26 SD @ NO
Win. The home crowd is gonna make the difference in a tough game against a good Chargers team. However with Merriman out for the season and LT losing a step in my opinion this should be a small win.

9 Bye

10 Nov 09 NO @ ATL
Win, We will need to contain their two headed running attack however we will just be able to outscore them, expect a big night from Brees and Bush.

11 Nov 16 NO @ KC
Win, as long as we can keep Brees on his feet in this game we shouldnt have to much trouble against a struggling Chiefs team.

12 Nov 24 GB @ NO
Win, tough game against a team that has a few of the best receivers in the game. We're gonna need a big night from McKenzie and Porter but i think we'll manage with so much of their secondary probably still injured.

13 Nov 30 NO @ TB
Win, although they dont seem this bad yet this season I think the bucs arent really that good, offensively I just dont see them being really dangerous. This is a game of limiting mistakes and turnovers, as long as we can keep those down we are fine.

14 Dec 07 ATL @ NO
Win, Atlanta is still a team that we should be able to beat and at home we most certainly will. Try and contain the run and we will be just fine, just let the rookie try and beat us.

15 Dec 11 NO @ CHI
Loss, It's gonna be close but their defense may be just a bit of a tough one to get trough, I am not sure at all about this game either way but since I realise i am biased I'll try to include a loss here and there.

16 Dec 21 NO @ DET
Win, C'mon its detroit, we could sent our practice squad.

17 Dec 28 CAR @ NO
Win, tough game but with the home advantage we should be able to contain a strong balanced offense.

overall record 12-4
doubtfull predictions: @Min, SD, @TB, @CHI, @Car, Car
is we lose all those we still should go 8-8, so we prolly gonna need two of those mentioned above.

RCAChainGang
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
What do you guys think about the Saints chances against Minnesota?

Was awesome to see Deuce against San Fran also! :)

J-Shock
10-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I've got a $20 bet with a friend (another saints fan) that AD gets either 100 yards or less. He thinks he'll get 150 or above.

RCAChainGang
10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I've got a $20 bet with a friend (another saints fan) that AD gets either 100 yards or less. He thinks he'll get 150 or above.

I would be on your side of that argument.

I'm not sure he will rush for over 100 yards.

Auron
10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Way too early for me to speculate at this point...

I could honestly see this team making a strong push and finishing around 11-5 or better with a Division win.

On the same token... they may not be able to shake off the injuries, and suffer some more close losses to finish at a sub-par 8-8.

I think we need to wait and see how some of our banged up guys come along like Shockey, and Colston, and hope key players like Deuce can remain healthy.

CJSchneider
10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
The last projection I did for my mock had us going 10 - 6 and making the playoffs.

diabsoule
10-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I know this is a bit early but I've been thinking about the draft and one thing out of many that I've come up with is this: We need to draft a LT. Or we need to realize that Zach Strief is the answer. I want Jammal Brown to move back to the right side.
The reason I say that is that it would increase our offensive line even more. Our two weakspots are RT, LG, and C. I think we have found the answer at LG with Carl Nicks. Now, I'd like to see Strief earn the LT job and move Brown back to RT or I'd like to see us draft a LT.
We have got to get this team back in order and that starts with the OL.

I have other thoughts as well but I'll refrain for now.

Saints-Tigers
10-03-2008, 12:57 AM
I'd definitely rather Brown at LT over Strief full time, it would be nice to have Strief at RT though.

For me, I would hope Nicks could be groomed into a RT, he definitely has the tools for it, then draft Duke Robinson and Alex Mack or something of that sort, I wouldn't mind going two o-line spots in the first 3 rounds.

Brown, Robinson, Mack, Evans, Nicks.

Not too bad, right?

wicket
10-03-2008, 07:18 AM
This might be a good year to draft an offensive lineman though, the class seems to be really deep again and since so many were taken high last year I dont think to many teams are to eager to spend another top pick to their offensive line. To be honoust I am a bit bummed that we dont have a second rounder next year cause I think we could have an awesome draft If we'd be able to get a good linebacker in the first and then one of the fallen linemen in the second. However It might be a bit early. With Nicks developing nicely we are just one of two pieces away of having one of the best offensive lines in the league.

NOLAFan
10-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Sed Ellis is out for 2-4 weeks with a meniscus tear :(
Can it get much worse?

saintsfan912
10-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Are you ******* kidding me? How many more guys will get injured? This is getting ******* ridiculous. Do we not have a good enough stregnth and conditioning team?

CJSchneider
10-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Did Sean Payton walk under a ladder?

diabsoule
10-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Did Sean Payton walk under a ladder?

I think the whole team walked under a ladder while a black cat was crossing their paths and afterward they all took turns breaking mirrors.

diabsoule
10-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Another offseason idea:

I'm hopping on the bandwagon now for a few things:
1) Gary Gibbs needs to be fired.
2) Raheem Morris (Defensive backs coach for Tampa Bay) needs to be the new DC
3) We need to convert to a Cover 2 defensive scheme for our secondary. Morris has experience in the Tampa 2 Cover 2 scheme and has been extremely successful coaching DB's so that would help out our young secondary tremendously.

I say we need to go to a Cover 2 because we have the pieces in place for a Cover 2 team (not a Tampa 2). In order for that to work we would need new safeties, but we need new ones anyway in my opinion. The cornerbacks on our team fit the mold anyway for a Cover 2 defense. Most are speedy and are able to cover a lot of field. Both Tracy Porter and Usama Young are very speedy with good coverage skills. Jason Davis was very successful in Indianapolis playing in a Cover 2 defense. Randall *** saw a lot of Cover 2 looks while in New England. Mike McKenzie is a good man corner with enough speed at his age to fit into a Cover 2.

In the draft we would have to target a speedy, physical safety that could take away the deep ball and be a leader on the field. That person would be Taylor Mays from USC. We might have to trade ahead of Philly to get him but he would be tremendous to a developing Cover 2 team, especially with Raheem Morris coaching him.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Cover 2

In traditional Cover 2 schemes the free safety (FS) and strong safety (SS) have deep responsibilities, each guarding half of the field. The NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts, Chicago Bears, and Detroit Lions run a variant of this defense called the Tampa 2.

Cover 2 can be run from any seven-man defensive fronts such as the 3-4 and the 4-3. (It is difficult to implement Cover 2 from an eight-in-the-box front, because the strong safety or someone replacing him is usually the eighth man.) Various "underneath" coverage played by cornerbacks and linebackers may also be implemented. For example, Cover 2 Man means 2 safeties have deep responsibility while the cornerbacks and linebackers follow their offensive assignment in one-on-one coverage. The NFL's San Diego Chargers inherited a base Cover 2 Man 3-4 from Wade Phillips. Cover 2 can also be paired with underneath zone schemes: Cover 2 Zone refers to 2 safeties with deep responsibility but now the CBs and LBs drop back into specific coverage zones where they defend passes only in their assigned area.

Teams that play Cover 2 shells usually subscribe to the "bend-but-don't-break" philosophy, preferring to keep offensive players in front of them for short gains while limiting long passes. This is in stark contrast to a more aggressive Cover 1 type scheme which leaves the offensive team's wide receivers in single man-to-man coverage with only one deep helper. By splitting the deep field between two defenders, the defense can drastically reduce the number of long gains.

The main weakness of the Cover 2 shell occurs in the middle of the field between the safeties. The safeties attempt to gain width upon the snap of the ball to cover any long passes to quick wide receivers down the sideline. This movement creates a natural hole between the safeties that can be attacked. By sending a receiver (usually a tight end) into the hole, the offense forces the safety to make a decision: play the vulnerable hole in the middle of the field or help out on the wide receiver. The quarterback reads the safety's decision and decides on the best matchup (i.e. which mismatch is better: TE vs S or WR vs CB).

saintsfan912
10-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Maybe McKenzie can move to safety in the cover 2?

Saints-Tigers
10-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Mckenzie could be a FS in the cover 2, he certainly hits like one already.

Also, Vilma is an ideal cover 2 LB, and Sedrick Ellis is THE DT for the scheme.

All of the pieces are there already to be honest, we could use another LB in place of Shanle, someone like Aaron Curry maybe, but the rest of the pieces fit perfectly, the DT, the two DE's, our main LB, the corners... it's all there.

It would be really nice, since we score so easily too, our defense should be perfect for beating teams who have to throw from behind, and the cover 2 is ideal in stopping just that.

diabsoule
10-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Tracy Porter was placed on season ending IR today.

wicket
10-08-2008, 02:55 AM
The hits just keep on coming and with how he was developing it is a loss we couldnt really afford

d34ng3l021
10-08-2008, 03:39 AM
I can't wait to play you guys. Can't believe the first time we play is week 10.

diabsoule
10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Saints place Martin Gramatica on IR, Re-sign Melhaff

New Orleans Saints replace Martin Gramatica with Taylor Mehlhaff
Posted by Mike Triplett, The Times-Picayune October 08, 2008 11:54AM
Categories: Saints

Chuck Cook/The Times-Picayune
The Saints could sign third-round draft choice Taylor Mehlhaff today.The Saints have signed rookie kicker Taylor Mehlhaff to replace Martin Gramatica, who was placed on injured reserve because of a groin injury.

Mehlhaff was flown in Wednesday morning for a physical, according to his agent Scott Smith of X-A-M Sports, and he will practice with the team this afternoon.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis confirmed both moves.

The Saints drafted the strong-legged Mehlhaff in the sixth round out of Wisconsin this year, but Gramatica won the kicking job with a steadier performance during training camp and the preseason.

The Saints will practice later this afternoon, and Coach Sean Payton and players will be available to talk this evening.

We'll update from the afternoon practices and press conferences

from Nola.com

Sveen
10-08-2008, 04:10 PM
The Saints signed kicker Taylor Mehlhaff, tight end Sean Ryan, defensive end Jeff Charleston and defensive tackle Montavious Stanley on Wednesday to replace several injured players.

Kicker Martin Gramatica, cornerback Tracy Porter and fullback Olaniyi Sobomehin have been placed on injured reserve, and tight end Buck Ortega has been waived.

The Saints also made some changes to their practice squad, signing cornerback Darrell Hunter and linebacker Pago Togafau, while releasing safety David Roach and linebacker William Kershaw.

Source: http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/10/new_orleans_saints_sign_four_p.html

wicket
10-09-2008, 11:45 AM
the kicker swap is the first thing im happy about this season, grammatica was seriously costing us games.

CJSchneider
10-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I'm glad he's out - and that would usually be a bad thing to say.

Flyboy
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Tracy Porter was placed on season ending IR today.

Whoo! :rolleyes:

Saints-Tigers
10-10-2008, 12:58 AM
It's funny, we are like one Tracy Porter injury in the Washington game, and some reliable kicking away from being 5-0.

I don't usually deal in hypotheticals, but seriously, with a competent kicker we are 4-1 at least.

diabsoule
10-10-2008, 01:06 AM
I think this whole kicking issue dates back when Conner Hughes was kicked off the team after having a tremendous camp. It was the same year we brought in Steve Weatherford.

CJSchneider
10-12-2008, 03:43 PM
We needed that romp. Brees' rating was 26 for 30 witha rating of 144.4 Holy ****!

wicket
10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
cant see much more than that I agree with you. Oh wait i want to add that our defense looked pretty good and I want to mention Lance Moore, dude has been looking good all season.

Auron
10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Took care of business at Home against a team they should have... They had to have a performance like that if they were serious about being Playoff contenders this season.

Very encouraging to see a much more disciplined team take the field today, really cleaned up on the penalties.. and most importantly took care of the football; committing 0 turnovers.

Brees made all of the franchise throws when we needed him too, and the game plan was sound with a good balanced mix with the Pass/Run ratio. Reggie is making strides in the run game, and makes a difference whenever he's on the field.

Going to have to match and/or exceed this kind of execution next week in Carolina. (yes they played a poor game in Tampa maybe they got too high on themselves but make no mistake they will be prepared for us) We have a chance to make a statement in this division next week going to need everyone's best performance. Hopefully we can get Colston, and or Shockey back in the mix. Grueling road trip ahead of us.

Flyboy
10-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Dear bbd,

Vilma is just fine.

Sincerely,

Flyboy

BlindSite
10-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Scott Fujita is a hell of an athlete at LB. Especially considering he's large enough to play defensive end.

Fujita is the most underrated LB in the league bar none.

AntoinCD
10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
If the Saints could get Aaron Curry in the draft and resign Vilma they could have a real good LB corps. But it all starts up front there, if the opposition can get a hat on Vilma they can take him out of the play

Flyboy
10-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Fujita is the most underrated LB in the league bar none.

I don't know if I would say most underrated, but he's an underrated player for sure.

Flyboy
10-13-2008, 05:48 PM
If the Saints could get Aaron Curry in the draft and resign Vilma they could have a real good LB corps. But it all starts up front there, if the opposition can get a hat on Vilma they can take him out of the play

We'd probably be better off at going FS or RT with our first round pick imo.

Saints-Tigers
10-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Best player available at those spots is what I would like too, except I would just take the best o-linemen available, I think we have some movable parts on the line, so we can shift guys around.

William Moore would be nice though too, but if one of the big 3 OT's slip(Oher, Monroe, or Andre Smith) it would be hard to pass on, because we could move Brown if need be to RT, or let them play RT....

Sniper
10-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Stewart Bradley is the most underrated LB in the league bar none.

Fixed that for you.

BlindSite
10-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Bradley is good, but he's not even top 5 in the NFC.

Willis
Urlacher
Tatupu
Beason
Ruud
Pierce

in no particular order

Sniper
10-13-2008, 11:52 PM

Willis
Urlacher
Tatupu
Beason
Ruud
Pierce

in no particular order

Which would be great and all, if I would have said he was top 5. I said he's the most underrated LB.

Flyboy
10-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Huge, huge, HUGE game. I believe Colston and Shockey should be making their return...

I think it'll be a close one throughout... here's to us getting the W.

diabsoule
10-14-2008, 04:19 AM

I think Zach Strief is going to be our future RT. IMO, Safety is this teams top priority. Then OLB, then DT.

wicket
10-14-2008, 08:35 AM
We need this one baaaaddd!!! If we dont get this one we could be in for a long season.

CJSchneider
10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
If we don't win this one, it may mean I lose a sig bet saying we would win the NFC South with Caddy24.

Auron
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Absolutely crucial early NFC South match-up for both teams. This is the Saints chance to make a statement that they are serious contenders in the NFC South. Tough draw because the Panthers are always a tough play for us.. Fox. and co. always do a great job of scheming against us.

We'll need all the help we can get, hopefully we can get both Colston & Shockey back in the lineup for this game. I doubt they will be at 100% effectiveness coming back, but even if they play about Half the snaps that will open up a lot of options for us in the Short yardage/Red Zone passing packages for us.

I'm not too worried about the DeAngelo/Stewart duo as the past few weeks we've shut down some pretty good running games.. My question is whether or not we can generate enough consistent pressure on Jake Delhomme to force him into some mistakes... or will he have the time to hurt us with Smith, Muhammad?

Panthers will be up for this game no question, they won't let themselves have 2 major let downs in a row... Saints need their best performance of the season. We'll learn a lot about both teams in this game.

Geomar
10-14-2008, 07:49 PM

Willis
Urlacher
Tatupu
Beason
Ruud
Pierce

in no particular order

If you mention all those guys then you have to mention Vilma.

Vilma is currently second in the nfl in tackles and leads the nfc in tackles.

Kinda strange you dont have him on that list.

Considering you put that up today, it's really strange you didnt put Vilma in their.

gsorace
10-15-2008, 12:56 AM
If you mention all those guys then you have to mention Vilma.

Vilma is currently second in the nfl in tackles and leads the nfc in tackles.

Kinda strange you dont have him on that list.

Considering you put that up today, it's really strange you didnt put Vilma in their.

Number of tackles might be the most insignificant stat in football

Gay Ork Wang
10-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Number of tackles might be the most insignificant stat in football
KR/PR Average

Ravens1991
10-15-2008, 05:36 AM
how are tackles insignificant? Yes they are not the most important but I dont think they are that insignificant.

Gay Ork Wang
10-15-2008, 05:49 AM
how are tackles insignificant? Yes they are not the most important but I dont think they are that insignificant.
Dhani Jones leads the league in tackles. Tells us what?