PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

CJSchneider
10-15-2008, 06:56 AM
I think Zach Strief is going to be our future RT. IMO, Safety is this teams top priority. Then OLB, then DT.

This is where you and I disagree. I'd really rather start with OLB. I feel if we could get a ball-hawk, play-maker like Curry, our defense would improve exponentially.

diabsoule
10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
This is where you and I disagree. I'd really rather start with OLB. I feel if we could get a ball-hawk, play-maker like Curry, our defense would improve exponentially.

We're still getting beat deep, though, and that's a huge concern of mine, especially when we have Kevin Kaesviharn starting at FS. That speaks volumes about our secondary right there. From watching Saints games you can tell that the Roman Harper selection isn't panning out either since he is constantly getting beat deep. He's good in run support and would make an excellent in-the-box safety but his coverage skills are almost non-existent, at least from what I've seen.
True, Aaron Curry is amazing and come draft he might be BPA, but if William Moore is there come the Saints pick I think he has to be the selection.

Flyboy
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Roman Harper really hasn't gotten beat deep all year... everything has been completed on KK's side. Harper is just fine.

Saints-Tigers
10-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I'm good with Harper actually, he's never going to be a superstar, but he's solid as hell, and could sneak into a pro-bowl 1 time. He's a hammer in the run game, and he's solid in deep coverage, and a terror in the flats. Hands need some work though.

At this point, I really love William Moore and Aaron Curry, so getting either would make me really happy, but I think we have to look O-Line if one of the big time prospects drop. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward William Moore at FS, but I'd be happy with Curry too.

AntoinCD
10-15-2008, 10:09 AM
how are tackles insignificant? Yes they are not the most important but I dont think they are that insignificant.

Its not that they are insignificant, however there should be more stats such as tkl for loss, tkl within 3 yards etc. I f you make 100 tackles for a gain of 5-10 yards as a LB its not a good sign

CJSchneider
10-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Well, Carolina is on the board with a Field Goal.

wicket
10-19-2008, 03:22 PM
To sum it all up we sucked. Not to take anything away from our mediocre secondary but our offensive line was terrible at best today. Also i want to give some credit to our punt coverage that also helped a major way in deciding this game. Both Shockey and Colston werent ready yet imo they looked pedestrian.

Saints-Tigers
10-19-2008, 03:56 PM
On the bright side, despite the terrible line play, Deuce and Bush were both running effectively before it got out of reach.

If only our line could play well in both phases consistently.

I'm still on the draft an O-linemen wagon. I think we could get a good coverage safety, and have Porter come back healthy and be fine in that category, but I think we need some elite help at tackle, and a mauler at C.

Auron
10-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Well... we failed the test.

Anyone else think Colston, and Shockey's return to the line-up was a bit pre-mature? It seemed like they might have held the Offense up, Drew didn't seem to be in sync with them. Colston dropped some easy passes, and Shockey didn't look like he was 100% ready to be out there. They probably needed a few more practices to be out on the field on Game Day.

Season is not lost too early, but we dropped a big one today. Next weeks game is a toss up, who knows how either team will respond to the traveling conditions. If we win that we have a shot at climbing back into things, but with the way the other teams in our Division have been playing we have a very small margin for error the rest of the way.

CJSchneider
10-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm just hoping that Bush will be OK for next week. Can we catch a break here?

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm just hoping that Bush will be OK for next week. Can we catch a break here?

-Reggie out 4-6 weeks (possibly longer)

Per Saints sources....

dunagan15
10-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Reggie Bush news...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+South/New+Orleans/Features/2008/parr101908.htm

TigerBait45
10-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Injuries have killed this season.

Maybe next year.

iloxygenil
10-19-2008, 10:31 PM
It's not over for the Saints yet. I know it's looking tough because the South has risen again...the NFC South anyway. Losing Bush is really no loss at all, not with a healthy Colston and Shockey (they'll get there) I'm FAR more afraid of the Saints with Deuce back there than Reggie Bust running around out of the backfield. 1 decent spy solves that problem most of the time. Obviously it detracts from the overall defense. Anyway that's not the point. The Saints are far from out of it though.

They have too good of an offense to be out of it. Your defense is atrocious, that's not going to change anytime soon. But you have the league's MVP if the Saints get it turned around in Drew Brees. Guy is ballin out of his mind.

dunagan15
10-20-2008, 12:00 AM
It's not over for the Saints yet. I know it's looking tough because the South has risen again...the NFC South anyway. Losing Bush is really no loss at all, not with a healthy Colston and Shockey (they'll get there) I'm FAR more afraid of the Saints with Deuce back there than Reggie Bust running around out of the backfield. 1 decent spy solves that problem most of the time. Obviously it detracts from the overall defense. Anyway that's not the point. The Saints are far from out of it though.

They have too good of an offense to be out of it. Your defense is atrocious, that's not going to change anytime soon. But you have the league's MVP if the Saints get it turned around in Drew Brees. Guy is ballin out of his mind.

You can not say that the Saints losing Bush is really no loss at all. Thats crazy, he almost single handly won them the game vs. the Vikings. Im much more afraid of Reggie on swing routes and being matched up w/ a backer on check downs, than I am of Duece. No disrespect to Duece, but in no way is he as dynamic as Reggie.

diabsoule
10-20-2008, 02:48 AM
I've been harping about drafting an OT or S for a while and I'm glad this game proved we need help at both positions.

I seriously think we should draft OT in the first round and move Jammal Brown back to the right side.

To sum up my thoughts on the game, I want to use this quote from an immortal Saints coach:

"Well, what happened was for the second game we got our asses kicked in the second half. We just got our ass totally kicked. We couldn't do diddly-poo offensively. We couldn't make a first down. We couldn't run the ball. We didn't try to run the ball. We couldn't complete a pass. We sucked. The second half we sucked. We couldn't stop the run. Every time they got the ball they went down and got points. We got our ass totally kicked the second half, that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Complete horseshit. I'm totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Our coaching did a horrible job. Our players did a horrible job. We got our asses kicked in the second half. It sucked. It stunk." - Jim Mora.

I fail to say any positives out of this game. We rushed Jeremy Shockey and Marques Colston back and they barely contributed. Colston didn't catch a pass because his thumb isn't at 100% yet and Shockey didn't look 100% either.
Reggie Bush tore his meniscus in his left knee and is out 3-6 weeks at the minimum. Our offensive line couldn't get a push in the run game, they could barely pass protect. Julius Peppers made Jammal Brown and John Stinchcomb look stupid and weak. Drew Brees was hurried, hacked, hit, sacked, and harassed all game.
Jason David was manhandled all game, just like last year. Kevin Kaesviharn offers nothing in run support and isn't fast enough to help protect deep. Our defensive rotation is too thin and we couldn't get a sustained pass rush. We were just terrible. A complete disappointment.

This is going to be another long year for the Saints and I hope it makes the coaching staff realize that we need a better center, an upgrade at left and right tackled (drafting an LT in the first would do just that), and we need DT and S upgrades fast.

diabsoule
10-20-2008, 03:57 AM
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/images/blog-header.jpg

Saints cut Weatherford after poor outing
Posted by The Times-Picayune October 19, 2008 5:04PM
Categories: Saints

The Saints evidently were so diasppointed in punter Steve Weatherford's poor outing Sunday against Carolina - 35.4 yards (gross) and 30.2 (net) - that he was cut after the game.

That means the Saints will have to sign a punter this week while they're in London.

diabsoule
10-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Former Washington star Copper re-signs with Saints

By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor

Terrance Copper didn’t stay unemployed for long.

Copper, a former standout at Washington High School and East Carolina, was released by the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday. He had 11 teams that were interested in signing the fifth-year veteran, but Copper ended up back with the Saints.

Copper is scheduled to re-sign with New Orleans today when he meets the team at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

“When the Saints called me (Friday), I was surprised they called so quickly,” said Copper, who was in Washington visiting family Friday. “I have a lot of friends on that team. When they called, I was happy to go back.”

Copper said the last three days haven’t been easy as he awaited his NFL fate.

“It’s been an emotional roller coaster,” he said. “I was released and then I get picked up by the same team three days later. I don’t want to have to get used to that.

“But, like I said before, it’s part of the job. You have to take the good with the bad.”

Copper, a wide receiver and special teams ace with New Orleans, is planning to get into the game when the Saints play the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. Before he was released, Copper said he had planned on getting some 30 tickets for family and friends. After his release, he wasn’t able to obtain tickets.

“I told them I can’t tickets for them now,” Copper said. “I wish I could. They’ll just have to swallow that pill.”

Even though he won’t have familiar faces cheering him on at Bank of America Stadium, Copper is happy to be playing close to home.

“It always feels good to play close to home,” Copper said. “In my whole career, even when I was with Dallas, I’ve played Carolina each year. It feels good.”

Copper, who has 46 receptions for 600 yards and seven touchdowns in his NFL career, isn’t sure what to expect from the Panthers since he wasn’t able to watch any game film.

“Just based on what I know from playing them before, I know they play hard,” Copper said. “It’s the NFL so everybody is going to play hard. We just have to go out there and match their intensity.”

While Copper was physically away from the game for three days, he was there mentally.

“It wasn’t a nice break,” he said. “It was difficult. Your body is on a timetable.

“I’m used to doing certain things. I was looking at the clocking going, ‘Oh, they are watching film right now; oh, they are on the field right now.’ It was difficult.”

Though Copper is happy to be rejoining his friends, he’s also happy that there are options out there for him if he gets released again. He was scheduled to work out for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday, while 10 other clubs also showed interest.

“I was ready and willing to explore my options,” Copper said. “I’m happy that I’m there (with the Saints). There are no bitter feelings from me toward them because I understand the business part of it. You can’t let the personal aspect get caught up in the business aspect of it.

“It definitely feels good (to know you’re wanted). When you get released from a team, you worry but you still feel okay about getting signed by another team. It feels good to know all those teams wanted me. If I’m on the street again, it feels good to know I have other options.”

Now that he’s back with the Saints, he plans to enjoy every minute of it.

“I wasn’t stressed about the financial aspect,” he said. “I just want to play. I’m going to go in there and just have a good time.”

diabsoule
10-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Jonathan Goodwin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a left knee injury.

Reggie Bush is expected to miss 3-6 with a torn meniscus in his left knee. He will be having surgery tomorrow.

Jeremy Shockey may have reinjured his hernia and will cause him to miss time.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Tracy Porter was placed on season ending IR today.

Man that's a blow for real. That kid was really coming on and from what I've seen of the Saints he looks like he could really be the real deal. That's a serious loss.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Jonathan Goodwin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a left knee injury.

Reggie Bush is expected to miss 3-6 with a torn meniscus in his left knee. He will be having surgery tomorrow.

Jeremy Shockey may have reinjured his hernia and will cause him to miss time.

Can Bush even have surgery yet? They made me wait a week before they could operate on my tear. They typically will not operate when there is that much swelling. I'm interested to see what they say about this situation because you really don't need to have a minscus at all. Many people play without them all together, and a shot of cort does wonders for the pain and stiffness. He could play the rest of the year with a tear, but if they want him to have surgery it will be an injury that lingers throughout the season.

I had a completely successful surgery, but my knee still gives me issues more than before I had surgery. It's something about the process that just makes it not quite right. But the strength he'll lose in that knee over these weeks before he can really push it to work out is going to be really tough on him. imo.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 08:54 AM
It's funny, we are like one Tracy Porter injury in the Washington game, and some reliable kicking away from being 5-0.

I don't usually deal in hypotheticals, but seriously, with a competent kicker we are 4-1 at least.

That's why the Saints are not out of this thing yet. They're way too good of a team, its just a few bounces that have to go the other way. But this season for the Saints is so far from over it's not even funny. You still have 2 division games against Atlanta. If you win those you're right in the race. I don't think you'll handle ATL in ATL, but your offense is more than capable of causing issues especially with Colston if he's healthy. We don't have someone to match up on him except Houston, but even he's giving up a LOT of height to a beast like Colston. New Orleans is one of those teams if they can sneak in the back door of the playoffs they're going to have just as much of a shot as anyone else.

I think NFC South has a great shot of putting 3 teams in as well. I think Carolina will win the division, ATL and NO will end up 2nd and 3rd in the division. They can both end up in the playoffs ( I did NOT think the Falcons even had a chance at making it at the beginning of the year )

Number 10
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to get your thoughts regarding the Saints offensive line.

I've seen a lot of Saints football the past three years and I'm starting to think Jamaal Brown would be better suited inside. I think he can be a serviceable left tackle, don't get me wrong, but that position could certainly be upgraded in an offense that passes the ball so often. He always looks good right off the snap, proper footwork and a strong initial punch. But as the play progresses on deep dropbacks, his technique gets all out of whack and when he is up against a good pass rusher, there are several ways to beat him.

I REALLY like what I have seen out of Carl Nicks. He is playing like a rookie in the sense that he seems to always be in recovery mode but he is still playing at a high level. We know he is physically a very good lineman, but his ability to pick up delayed blitzes and stunts is rare to see early in one's career. Once he gets his technique and balance more consistent, you might have yourselves a top tier guard.

Now the issue I see here is, do you keep Brown at LT, or do you move him inside and have him take the place of Jahri Evans. Evans is a nice player but he is too inconsistent as a pass blocker. If you are going to have a strong offensive line, he could be that 6th lineman that can back up both guard spots.

I think the plan should be to try and upgrade that LT position with a 1st round pick, shift Brown to guard, and find a replacement for Stinchcomb at RT...a position that is not hard to fill. Maybe Marc Columbo?

What do you guys think?

CJSchneider
10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
IMO, OLB is clearly our biggest need. In a perfect world, I would hope to see the Saints trade down in the first, in order to get a Curry (probably won't be around) or Cushing (more likely) and add a mid-late 2nd rounder where we could add an O-lineman.

CJSchneider
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Where as I'm still of the mind an OLB would be our best move in round 1, I'm slowly getting to the point where a S or OL wouldn't piss me off that much either.

Saints-Tigers
10-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, losing the league leader in touchdowns is no loss at all :-/

One thing though, whenever Bush goes down, Payton returns to a basic offense in regards to the run game.... why can't he do that when Bush is in? He runs best in normal running plays anyway.

It's not looking good, but I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, we have a lot of division games left in which we can make up ground, and our schedule isn't all that bad.

Sveen
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
New Orleans Saints sign a punter

CHANDLER'S CROSS, ENGLAND - Saints Coach Sean Payton announced Monday that the team signed punter Ben Graham to replace Steve Weatherford.

Graham, a 34-year-old who used to play in the Australian Football League, spent more than three seasons with the New York Jets. Graham played in four games this season with the Jets, punting 14 times for an average of 43.3 yards, but was released by the team for the second time this season in late September.

Payton said Monday afternoon that Graham was already with the Saints at their hotel outside London, after flying separate from the team following the Saints' loss to the Carolina Panthers.

CJSchneider
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Just in case Graham doesn't work out, my 4 year old and I were outside practicing kicking the ball over the fence.

KCJ58
10-20-2008, 09:14 PM
so who's gonna get the majority of the carries next week Thomas or McAllister

Flyboy
10-21-2008, 01:04 AM
What God did Sean Patyon piss off? I gotta know.

diabsoule
10-21-2008, 02:00 AM
so who's gonna get the majority of the carries next week Thomas or McAllister

I think we're going to see Deuce, Thomas, and Stecker all in the mix. It's probably going to be a healthy balance.

Geo
10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Not to get too into fantasy here in the Saints thread, I too am wondering if I should pick up Thomas or Stecker (as a Bush owner).

My gut is that Thomas could be the back to step in, although Stecker is a veteran and can catch the ball well himself. Hrmm.

Hopefully Marques Colston gets going this week, after two drops last week cost him some looks and then a spot on the field.

diabsoule
10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Not to get too into fantasy here in the Saints thread, I too am wondering if I should pick up Thomas or Stecker (as a Bush owner).

My gut is that Thomas could be the back to step in, although Stecker is a veteran and can catch the ball well himself. Hrmm.

Hopefully Marques Colston gets going this week, after two drops last week cost him some looks and then a spot on the field.

I think we rushed Schockey and Colston back and thats why you didn't see the contributions on the field that they normally would have brought.

I'd pick up Thomas over Stecker in fantasy. I think he's going to see more touches than Stecker.

Saints-Tigers
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
What did Steve Weatherford do to get cut?

Anyway, here we'll see Sean Payton go to an old school running system instead of the gimmicks and we will thrive.

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 02:51 AM

Anyway, here we'll see Sean Payton go to an old school running system instead of the gimmicks and we will thrive.

Supposedly it was a long time coming for Weatherford. Although I thought he was a good punter, the coaching staff thought differently with his 42 yard per punt average.

diabsoule
10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
How well do you guys think Carl Nicks could translate to LT?

Auron
10-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Halfway point in the season and we are exactly where we were last year, 4-4. We got there in different ways but in the end it's the same record. Now all that matters is what we can do to improve this team, and try to fix the mistakes that have been costing us over the Bye week. I'm not so sure the problems will go away entirely.. (non existent pass rush, poor coverage in the secondary, kicking game issues) but maybe there is a way to patch them up.

This wasn't the most satisfying win. I'll take it but boy was it sloppy, and we almost blew a big lead in the end. Still have a lot of work to do if we're going to try and make a push towards the playoffs.

CJSchneider
10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Thank God we have a bye week coming up and a few of our players can get healthy.

saintsfan912
10-26-2008, 05:27 PM
It was great seeing Big Sed back. He made some damn good plays for us today.

diabsoule
10-27-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm glad our bye week is next week. We could definitely use it.

Also, we have got to re-sign Jonathan Vilma, Jahri Evans, Lance Moore, and Billy Miller.

Also, this has got to be Gary Gibbs last year as our DC. I want an aggressive, attacking DC as our last good year on defense was when Ron Zook was our defensive coordinator. We have got to bring in someone that will put pressure on the offense.

We also need to establish some semblance of a running game. Our offensive balance is way off and needs to be corrected now not later.

We also need to instill more discipline on the offense and defense because they are committing too many penalties.

We have got to get better on ST. Missing an XP is unacceptable.

Saints-Tigers
10-27-2008, 01:28 AM
How well do you guys think Carl Nicks could translate to LT?

I have no problem with Brown there, I would like Nicks at RT.

UKfan
10-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Just dropping in to say that your guys fans are awesome, had a couple of guys from New Orleans sitting next to me and they were great. Hope the Brits support did your team justice.

Also, met Mike Karney, Jammal Brown and Jahri Evans outside their hotel whilst taking a friend to hospital (long story), they were really cool guys.

wicket
10-27-2008, 01:10 PM
well i must admit I'm in a good mood due to the win yesterday. They played really well for large parts of the game and to be honoust I think we could've scored more on them. However they still found chances to almost blow it. For instance i was really suprised they didnt see the onside kick coming. But it was a really good and vital win and that makes me happy.

CJSchneider
10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm glad our bye week is next week. We could definitely use it.

Also, we have got to re-sign Jonathan Vilma, Jahri Evans, Lance Moore, and Billy Miller.

Is it just me, or has be been playing some great football lately?

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
I waited this long, but i gotta know, what are Saints fans thoughts on my boy Jonathan Vilma this season thus far? I haven't got to see him as much as i have in the past (college and as a Jet), but i stlil love the guy to death, hope you guys are enjoying his play this year. What are your thoughts?

Auron
10-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I waited this long, but i gotta know, what are Saints fans thoughts on my boy Jonathan Vilma this season thus far? I haven't got to see him as much as i have in the past (college and as a Jet), but i stlil love the guy to death, hope you guys are enjoying his play this year. What are your thoughts?

He's pretty much been the Defensive MVP, (for what we actually do right on Defense) Very smart LB, always around the ball, solid tackler. He got juked out on a LT touchdown but honestly what LB in this league doesn't get flat-footed by Tomlinson. Leading the team in tackles with 72, and had the game clinching Interception yesterday. Definitely the kind of LB we have been missing on Defense.

As far as Miller goes he's a very solid Tight End who always seems to sneak up on Defenses and bite them for big catches in situations where they seem to ignore him, but he doesn't offer much in terms of athleticism, can't stretch the middle of the field like Shockey can. Either way he's a good back-up, role player to have.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 12:14 AM

He was probably sleeping with Sean Paytons daughter. Keep up the good work Saints.

CJSchneider
10-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Vilma has been doing great, he has a nose for the ball, which I love.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah really good pickup.

diabsoule
10-29-2008, 12:20 AM
New Orleans releases K Taylor Melhaff and P Ben Graham

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3669731&name=clayton_john

CJSchneider
10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Like I said, me and my boy have been outside practicing kicking the ball over the fence.

diabsoule
10-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Saints sign kicker and punter

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/10/new_orleans_saints_choose_kick.html

The new kicker is Garrett Hartley and punter Glenn Pakulak.

wicket
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
lets just try and play a different kicker and punter every week

Sveen
10-31-2008, 04:56 AM
How long before we get Morten Andersen on the phone? ;)

CJSchneider
11-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Right now, Mike Mallory is flying to Yugoslavia to look for a mule named Gus.

Flyboy
11-01-2008, 02:41 PM
We should've kept John Carney. :(

diabsoule
11-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Charles Grant placed on IR, Saints Re-Sign Hollis Thomas

http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/11/Saints%20place%20Grant%20on%20IR%20-%20Re-sign%20Thomas.aspx

I had no idea Grant was even injured but oh well... I think this is it for the season. I kinda see us going after KGB now, though, to help shore up our D-Line.

d34ng3l021
11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Predictions on the Falcons game?

saintsfan912
11-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Charles Grant placed on IR, Saints Re-Sign Hollis Thomas

http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/11/Saints%20place%20Grant%20on%20IR%20-%20Re-sign%20Thomas.aspx

I had no idea Grant was even injured but oh well... I think this is it for the season. I kinda see us going after KGB now, though, to help shore up our D-Line.

I guess they figure with a suspension looming and a injury that would most likely linger and hamper his abilities when he does play, might as well put him on IR. I hope we at least take a long look at KGB. I'm certainly fine with McCray but would love to have another pass rusher in the rotation.

wicket
11-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Another toughie, we have been poor so far on the road but we need this one baddd. This game in my mind could be a season maker or breaker, if we want to stand any chance for a play-off place we just simply need to win this one.
I think Colston should be ready to play at his own level again which should further help out our passing game. Also the rest of our injuries seem to have eased up a bit. Losing Grant will make a big difference though. I'm looking for a linebackers to step up and help make atlanta one dimensional. As good as he has looked Matt Ryan has looked kinda fragile in obvious passing situations IMO.

CJSchneider
11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, for as much as I love Matt Ryan, it would be a great joy to watch him get smashed this week.

diabsoule
11-05-2008, 08:01 PM
This is going to be a tough, hard fought game but I have to give the edge to Atlanta, esp with us having Bush & Grant out.

diabsoule
11-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Anybody else think we should go after KGB & DeAngelo Hall?

d34ng3l021
11-06-2008, 02:52 AM
I dont know. But lets discuss the upcoming game! I am excited.

wicket
11-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I dont know. But lets discuss the upcoming game! I am excited.
Jeah the Qb matchup in itself is gonna be interesting because Matty has been really impressive at home.

d34ng3l021
11-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah. He has yet to turn over the ball at home and we have yet to lose (but the teams we have played have been pretty eh).

Our best chance of winning is to come out and just run it and take a ton of time off that clock. If we get down early though, the game gets a lot more interesting. I wonder if Ryan will be able to air it out like he did against Chicago to win the game.

dunagan15
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Should be a fun interesting game. Sucks you guys don't have Reggie but that will help us. We got this one at home which is why i give us the edge. 24-21.

Other than that I think both teams play well and are injury free.

CJSchneider
11-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Anybody else think we should go after KGB & DeAngelo Hall?

Hall for sure. KGB for a 1 year contract if the $ is right. He doesn't deserve more than 3.5 mil a year.

CJSchneider
11-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Who is our kicker this week?

saintsfan912
11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
And of course, the FO doesn't go after Hall. Didn't Hall say he would welcome a trade to NO last offseason?

CJSchneider
11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Oh well, it was fun to think about.

Auron
11-07-2008, 07:15 PM
We will see how prepared this team is.. they've had 2 weeks to get ready for the Falcons. Will they be able to finally get this season going in the right direction?

Yes this is another road game but if they come out flat, and un-energized that just shows me they aren't going to be seriously contending with the rest of the NFC South teams this season; and will just revert back to the up and down inconsistent cycle of showing promise, only to blow all momentum the following week.

dunagan15
11-07-2008, 10:43 PM
If anything Ryan has shown great poise in pressure situations. Bears game, put us back into the Eagles game (even after a terrible INT, kept his composure).

Im worried about our D getting your O off the field. That will be the factor in this game. Can Turner and Norwood carry the load to control the clock. You guys can strike at any second so it is key we keep Brees off the field to win this one. Edge Falcons, 24-21, w/ home field being the key factor.

BamaFalcon59
11-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Another toughie, we have been poor so far on the road but we need this one baddd. This game in my mind could be a season maker or breaker, if we want to stand any chance for a play-off place we just simply need to win this one.
I think Colston should be ready to play at his own level again which should further help out our passing game. Also the rest of our injuries seem to have eased up a bit. Losing Grant will make a big difference though. I'm looking for a linebackers to step up and help make atlanta one dimensional. As good as he has looked Matt Ryan has looked kinda fragile in obvious passing situations IMO.

That is completely false. He has looked his best on third down and longs.

diabsoule
11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Who is our kicker this week?

Some scrub journeyman who I've never heard of.

I got Atlanta at home in this matchup. New Orleans injuries will be too much and the solid running of Michael Turner plus the efficiency of Matt Ryan will be able to exploit our porous defense over and over again.

wicket
11-08-2008, 04:34 AM
That is completely false. He has looked his best on third down and longs.
I meant more for a prolonged period. When you are behind he hasn't played his best games in my opinion.

BamaFalcon59
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I meant more for a prolonged period. When you are behind he hasn't played his best games in my opinion.

Maybe early on, against Carolina and Tampa Bay. But Chicago and Philadelphia made him pass and he did fine.

I'm pretty sure we will be able to run the ball, though.

d34ng3l021
11-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah. I hope the Saints defense that limited AD to 32 yards doesn't come to play.

I am so excited for this game though. I see it being a shootout. Our defense has made regular QBs look like all stars. Brees is going to pick us apart for 350+ yards. I think the score will be 38-34.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
11-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Look, I'm not trying to discount what Atlanta's doing because they are vastly improved from last season and are a fun team to watch, BUT let's keep things in perspective here. 3 of their wins have come against Detroit, Kansas City, and Oakland... probably the three worst teams in the NFL. New Orleans has had some of the worst luck with injuries to start a season that I can remember, and I consider it a blessing that they're even sitting at .500 right now... with Drew it's been as close to a one-man team as can be possible in the NFL. I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can possibly be as a Saints homer, but I honestly believe that the Saints are still the second best team in the division behind Carolina. I might end up eating crow, but I think the Saints move up and down the field at will and win this game by 2 touchdowns. Atlanta is making the right steps and I definitely see them controlling the South in a couple of years... I just think the Saints will prove to be the better team this season. Don't let my ass-backwards logic bother you, Falcons fans. We'll see what happens on Sunday.

CJSchneider
11-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm actually curious to know where my fellow Saints fan reside. If you aren't from Louisiana, by all means, don't feel as if I'm excluding you here; post where you are from as well.

As for me, I live in Bossier City. It is just West of Shreveport up in the North-West corner of the state.

d34ng3l021
11-08-2008, 08:27 PM
And the other 2 games in GB and against CHI. We dominated the poor teams (combined score of all 3 games was 96-35) and beat some marginal teams. Of the losses, we were in it in the 4th quarters (and had it not been for the blown call in the Eagles game, that could have been a W as well). I really don't think you can look at our record and base it off of the bad teams we played because we have beaten them convincingly, beat teams around our area, and stayed in it with the better teams.

As for this game, the Saints offense might be able to move at will (they probably will actually), but you underestimate the other facets of the game. Would you think your defense to stop Turner from chewing up the clock and limiting the number of possessions Brees gets? The defense you have is not good enough to stop Turner without putting 8 in the box, and thats where Ryan and White shine.

If Turner gets rolling early, this could be a blowout. If Turner gets stopped, it will be a Ryan-Brees duel, in which the chances to win the game are 50-50 (maybe even slightly favoring the Saints).

Also, Falcons are 4-0 at home and Saints are 0-3 away.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
11-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Turner actually doesn't worry me very much at all. He's had 4 really good games on the ground and he's been relatively ineffective in the 4 others. The 4 games in which he's posted 100+ yards and averaged over 4 ypc have come against Detroit, Kansas City, Green Bay, and Oakland. Those teams rank 31st, 32nd, 28th, and 30th against the run. The Saints aren't great at stopping the run by any means, but we're middle of the pack. The Falcons are worse, for what its worth.

The Burner is probably going to have a good enough game on the ground, but it won't be enough for Atlanta to keep up with the Saints in terms of putting points on the board. Portis and Tomlinson both got rolling early, and neither of those games were blowouts by any stretch of the imagination.

New Orleans is going to move the ball at will and Atlanta's offense won't be able to match scores. I'm standing by the Saints by 2 touchdowns.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
In any case, that's what I think will happen and I'm sticking to it. I'll be back sometime after the game, either to eat crow or to pour salt into some wounds ;)

d34ng3l021
11-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Turner actually doesn't worry me very much at all. He's had 4 really good games on the ground and he's been relatively ineffective in the 4 others. The 4 games in which he's posted 100+ yards and averaged over 4 ypc have come against Detroit, Kansas City, Green Bay, and Oakland. Those teams rank 31st, 32nd, 28th, and 30th against the run. The Saints aren't great at stopping the run by any means, but we're middle of the pack. The Falcons are worse, for what its worth.

The Burner is probably going to have a good enough game on the ground, but it won't be enough for Atlanta to keep up with the Saints in terms of putting points on the board. Portis and Tomlinson both got rolling early, and neither of those games were blowouts by any stretch of the imagination.

New Orleans is going to move the ball at will and Atlanta's offense won't be able to match scores. I'm standing by the Saints by 2 touchdowns.

Teams Turner couldnt get going against and their YPC allowed rank.:
Bucs: 10th (away)
Panthers: 16th (away)
Eagles: 5th (away)
Bears: 5th

Theres a certain trend. He tends to do poorly against teams away and teams that are in the top half of the league against the run. Saints are 22nd in YPC allowed with 4.3 yards allowed per rush. Add that to the fact that the game is at home and Grant is on the IR, things don't look too good for the Saints defense. I do not expect a 150+ yard game by Turner, but I expect the Saints to give enough attention to Turner to open things up for Ryan and White to take advantage of the Saints 25th ranked pass defense.

And the Falcons may be bad on defense, but they are 10th in points allowed.

d34ng3l021
11-08-2008, 09:00 PM
In any case, that's what I think will happen and I'm sticking to it. I'll be back sometime after the game, either to eat crow or to pour salt into some wounds ;)

lol of course. that is what happens over the course of the season.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
11-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Using yards per carry to evaluate a defense's ability to stop the run isn't a very effective argument, dude. Wouldn't you know it that Washington and San Francisco, for example, both give up the same yards per carry, yet Washington is 5th in total rush defense while SF is 19th? You could maybe use YPC when talking about the very best teams against the run and the very worst teams against the run... but every team in between is pretty much in the same area.

The fact of the matter is Turner hasn't faced a single top 5 rush defense yet he's faced 4 out of the bottom 5 and those just so happen to be the only games in which he's really performed. Those stats don't lie, man. Your argument is weak.

dunagan15
11-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Good game guys, I really feel bad for Brees. He is a special player and guys like Shockey just piss me off. Hes a little B***h.

d34ng3l021
11-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Good game. Very impressive performance by the Saints running defense I thought. Maybe you are not nearly as bad as I had thought. The DBs though...thats a whole new issue.

As for our defense and your offense...Our defense played out of their minds today. Completely overachieved. Abraham was a 1 man wrecking crew and forced several bad plays by himself. Our DBs stepped up their game to a whole new notch. I have never seen them so physical and so aware of where the ball is. I really hope they can keep this up against Marshall and Smith in the upcoming weeks.

My man crush on Colston is still there. He makes everything look so easy. Its as if he is in slow motion when he goes up for the ball and holds on throughout some jarring hits. Also, Lance Moore is awesome.

dunagan15
11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Good game. Very impressive performance by the Saints running defense I thought. Maybe you are not nearly as bad as I had thought. The DBs though...thats a whole new issue.

As for our defense and your offense...Our defense played out of their minds today. Completely overachieved. Abraham was a 1 man wrecking crew and forced several bad plays by himself. Our DBs stepped up their game to a whole new notch. I have never seen them so physical and so aware of where the ball is. I really hope they can keep this up against Marshall and Smith in the upcoming weeks.

My man crush on Colston is still there. He makes everything look so easy. Its as if he is in slow motion when he goes up for the ball and holds on throughout some jarring hits. Also, Lance Moore is awesome.

Agreed, where did this guy come from?? He was awesome.

diabsoule
11-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I hated the idea of trading for Shockey and now I really hate the idea. He's constantly injured and has hardly done anything worth the draft picks we sent to the Giants.

d34ng3l021
11-09-2008, 10:15 PM
And what about Sean Payton? His first year was great, but after that? I didnt like a lot of his decisions this game. The onside kick twice was just plain dumb. Abandoning the run so early, even though it was somewhat effective. Definitely not the offensive genius, despite having great tools to work with.

diabsoule
11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
And what about Sean Payton? His first year was great, but after that? I didnt like a lot of his decisions this game. The onside kick twice was just plain dumb. Abandoning the run so early, even though it was somewhat effective. Definitely not the offensive genius, despite having great tools to work with.

Payton always abandons the run too early. I wasn't a big fan of the move to hire Sean Payton in the first place and people are beginning to see why. He's too reliant upon having a team with great offensive weapons and building and relying on the aerial attack than having a balanced team. This team needs balance.

Drew Brees passed 58 times this game. Yeah, you read that correctly. Fifty-eight. Just reading that stat shows that we barely ran the ball and relied on Drew's arm more than anything to win the game for us.

I've rarely been a fan of Payton's play-calling and it's only gotten worse. He's predictable and overly aggressive.

I just can't say anything good about the coach or DC right now. We suck. Period. We have some good pieces in place but we need the team to be tweaked a considerable amount before we will be considered legitimate contenders for anything.

d34ng3l021
11-09-2008, 10:45 PM
To think the team would be so much better if they simply ran the ball more often. He is getting way too carried away with having Drew Brees as his QB and targets everywhere.

Auron
11-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Looks like the Saints will sing the same exact song as last season. At this point in the season I've seen enough and it's fairly clear the Saints are behind the other 3 teams in this Division. Just way too many glaring deficiencies on this team. Disastrous Secondary (will only get worse with McKenzie's injury, ineffective Pass Rush, Offense that is just way too 1-dimensional, and this problem only compounds once we get down score-wise.

Very disappointed in Jeremy Shockey.. it's good to know that when the team needs him to be mentally in the game the most, that he quits and just sulks on the sideline.

D3- regarding Payton it seems like he's taken a way too aggressive approach in his game management, and play calling actions. Now there are times when it's necessary to take risks, but they have to be calculated.. Excessive risk taking when the odds are stacked against you becomes foolish and Sean is repeating a lot of the same mistakes.. (an example of this can be the opening play of the game a forced Play-action to the Deep post to Henderson that was intercepted. First play of the game, no run threat has been establish the Safeties would be fools to bite on any kind of play-action) Payton needs to go back to the fundamentals that made him successful in '06. Playing smart, fundamental football, controlling the ball with an efficient short passing game, and an honesty to the run. The past 2 years it seems like the Saints want to be a "flashy" Offense.

CJSchneider
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Payton needs to go back to the fundamentals that made him successful in '06. Playing smart, fundamental football, controlling the ball with an efficient short passing game, and an honesty to the run. The past 2 years it seems like the Saints want to be a "flashy" Offense.

Couldn't say it any better myself.

diabsoule
11-10-2008, 03:22 PM
And of course, the FO doesn't go after Hall. Didn't Hall say he would welcome a trade to NO last offseason?

A complete EPIC FAILLL!!!! by the FO for not going after Hall.

Shiver
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
A complete EPIC FAILLL!!!! by the FO for not going after Hall.

Why would you want him?

CJSchneider
11-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Despite his character issues I think he would have been a great contribution to our defensive back-field.

diabsoule
11-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Why would you want him?

Have you seen our cornerbacks play?

Shiver
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
DeAngelo Hall = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer

CJSchneider
11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Well, since he's with another team, now I hope so.

wicket
11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I really think we could use hall although i usually dont like that kinda characters but with porter injured en mckenzie out for a while prolly we just need al the help we can get. For those who are better familiar with contract lengths, are there any good left tackles hitting free agency, I'd really like to move brown to the right and have a good LT. (I know the odds are slim)

Shiver
11-11-2008, 04:20 PM
After the Shockey experiment I don't think you guys need players like that.

saintsfan912
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
After the Shockey experiment I don't think you guys need players like that.

Give Shockey a full offseason healthy and he'll be fine.

McKenzie out for the rest of the season by the way.

Menardo75
11-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Watching the Saints all year it seems like with all the new faces and injures. The team really has not had a chance to gell together. It sucks that the Saints caught the injury bug, because I was really pulling for them. Look at the bright side though, if you finish worst this year. Next year you will be first. It was good to see Brees to get on Shockey for not being where he was supposed to be, and dropping the pass.

SaintsFanForLife
11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Saints need to get that secondary fixed fast. I still think we should have gone after D.Hall

diabsoule
11-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I really think we could use hall although i usually dont like that kinda characters but with porter injured en mckenzie out for a while prolly we just need al the help we can get. For those who are better familiar with contract lengths, are there any good left tackles hitting free agency, I'd really like to move brown to the right and have a good LT. (I know the odds are slim)

Jordan Gross, LT, Carolina Panthers will be a FA this year.

Other notable OL are Stacy Andrews, Jordan Black, and Vernon Carey.

saintsfan912
11-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Isn't Gross more suited for the right side though?

Did Jason Peters sign an extension or is he gonna be a FA too?

diabsoule
11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Isn't Gross more suited for the right side though?

Did Jason Peters sign an extension or is he gonna be a FA too?

He signed a 5 year extension in 2006.

And no, Jordan Gross is definitely a LT.

saintsfan912
11-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Idk, thought I heard somewhere that he did better when he was on the right side. Either way, it's an improvement over Stinch.

wicket
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
And I honoustly think brown is a great RT but he isnt able to stop great quick athletic pass rushers good enough, he was in trouble against peppers an again against abraham and I probably missed a couple. He still is one of our better linemen but I'd rather see someone else do the blind side whilst he'd own at RT, besides that stinch isnt much good. Where can you find a overview of which players are becomning free agents btw?

iloxygenil
11-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I feel bad for the Saints with all their injuries, but come this year's draft I'm going to be wanting to kill them with their top 15 pick (for a team that has the talent to be picking in the 20s) it's really going to hurt me to see them be able to get the caliber of player they will be able to pick up in the first round. Injuries have really limited the Saints this year. Payton seems like he's only getting these guys ready every other week, and I figured with a bye week he'd have a had a much better gameplan coming into the game. Guess he couldn't do anything to overcome the injuries and the lack of talent on Defense.

diabsoule
11-14-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm in Baton Rouge.

Flyboy
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I live in California. I'm from Texas, though.

wicket
11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
rotterdam, the netherlands, not really in "da boot" whatever that is.

diabsoule
11-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Saints place RB Aaron Stecker on IR, sign RB Mike Bell
Posted by Mike Triplett
The Times-Picayune
November 18, 2008 6:21PM

The Saints placed tailback Aaron Stecker on injured reserve Tuesday after he aggravated his lingering hamsting injury in Sunday's 30-20 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs. They replaced him with free agent tailback Mike Bell, a 6-foot, 225-pounder who spent the past two seasons with the Denver Broncos.

Stecker's injury was expected to need four to six weeks to heal, according to his agent Ronald Slavin. With only six weeks remaining in the season, the Saints needed the roster spot.

Bell, 25, had a breakout rookie season with the Broncos in 2006 after signing as an undrafted free agent out of Arizona. But he played only sparingly last year and did not catch on with a team this season after a brief cameo with the Houston Texans in training camp. His agent Steven Feldman confirmed the signing.

Bell (6 feet, 225 pounds) ran for 677 yards and eight touchdowns as a rookie and just three yards on six attempts last year. With his size, he could possibly be a candidate to line up at fullback, as well, while the Saints are playing without a healthy fullback on the roster.

Stecker, 33, is a free agent after this season after he signed a one-year deal to remain in New Orleans this past spring. The valuable utility man has been with the Saints for five years after spending his first four seasons in Tampa Bay.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/11/ne...lace_runni.html

Terrible signing as far as I'm concerned. Mike Bell succeeding for a while with a zone blacking system, a system we do not incorporate. The better to sign would have been Najeh Davenport, a back that can help grind it out between the tackles. Navenport was successful for a span in Pittsburgh but wore down due to the workload he was given. We have McAllister and Thomas to help spell Davenport, which would keep him fresher.

Now, we signed a back that wore down in Denver and couldn't succeed in a system that mass-produces productive RB's damn near every year.

CJSchneider
11-19-2008, 07:01 AM
[B]

Now, we signed a back that wore down in Denver and couldn't succeed in a system that mass-produces productive RB's damn near every year.

Point well made.

SaintsFanForLife
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Saints place RB Aaron Stecker on IR, sign RB Mike Bell
Posted by Mike Triplett
The Times-Picayune
November 18, 2008 6:21PM

The Saints placed tailback Aaron Stecker on injured reserve Tuesday after he aggravated his lingering hamsting injury in Sunday's 30-20 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs. They replaced him with free agent tailback Mike Bell, a 6-foot, 225-pounder who spent the past two seasons with the Denver Broncos.

Stecker's injury was expected to need four to six weeks to heal, according to his agent Ronald Slavin. With only six weeks remaining in the season, the Saints needed the roster spot.

Bell, 25, had a breakout rookie season with the Broncos in 2006 after signing as an undrafted free agent out of Arizona. But he played only sparingly last year and did not catch on with a team this season after a brief cameo with the Houston Texans in training camp. His agent Steven Feldman confirmed the signing.

Bell (6 feet, 225 pounds) ran for 677 yards and eight touchdowns as a rookie and just three yards on six attempts last year. With his size, he could possibly be a candidate to line up at fullback, as well, while the Saints are playing without a healthy fullback on the roster.

Stecker, 33, is a free agent after this season after he signed a one-year deal to remain in New Orleans this past spring. The valuable utility man has been with the Saints for five years after spending his first four seasons in Tampa Bay.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/11/ne...lace_runni.html

Terrible signing as far as I'm concerned. Mike Bell succeeding for a while with a zone blacking system, a system we do not incorporate. The better to sign would have been Najeh Davenport, a back that can help grind it out between the tackles. Navenport was successful for a span in Pittsburgh but wore down due to the workload he was given. We have McAllister and Thomas to help spell Davenport, which would keep him fresher.

I agree I dont like bell myself but I think P.Thomas can handle the load. Last time he started and got most of the reps during a game he got over 100 yards rushing and over 100 receiving. I know we just sighned like 2-3 other backs since McAllister could be out for 4 games due to the starcaps BS.

SaintsFanForLife
11-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Here is the report with the RB's names we sighned.

Deuce McAllister facing a four-game suspension, running back Aaron Stecker has been placed on injured reserve, a league source tells us.

The Saints, we’re told, filled the spot by inking running back Darian Barnes. Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that they also have signed running back Mike Bell.

The Saints added another running back via the practice squad, inking Lavarus Giles.

Sveen
11-23-2008, 05:47 AM
I'm from Norway.

GermanSaint
11-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Aachen , near Collogne in Germany

it seems that especially the saints have a couple of european fans

saintsfan912
11-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Why does Jason David even suit up? I know we are thin at CB but son of a ***** he sucks. We would probably do better with Devery back there damnit!

RCAChainGang
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Why does Jason David even suit up? I know we are thin at CB but son of a ***** he sucks. We would probably do better with Devery back there damnit!

I hate to agree with you. But I do. I liked David in Indy, but he always got circulated in and out with other guys.

TigerBait45
11-24-2008, 10:34 PM
He made a few plays tonight but he looked horrible on more than a few as well..

He's better than last year. Maybe he'll improve more next year and become competent.

51 points is good. Defense was better tonight. Still not good, but better.

yo123
11-25-2008, 01:00 AM
A big thank you to New Orleans from the Vikings!

Vikes99ej
11-25-2008, 01:02 AM
A big thank you to New Orleans from the Vikings!

I second this!

Flyboy
11-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Yay, we won.

SaintsMan
11-25-2008, 02:45 AM
11-5 one game at a time. :)

diabsoule
11-25-2008, 03:34 AM
He made a few plays tonight but he looked horrible on more than a few as well..

He's better than last year. Maybe he'll improve more next year and become competent.

51 points is good. Defense was better tonight. Still not good, but better.

He'd be very good if we converted to a Cover 2 scheme like I'm now a big proponent of.

I am very happy about this win. I expected a loss to be honest.

SaintsFanForLife
11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Great win, Drew was all over that D. He was seeing everything. I was also happy to see Shockey doing some good things. Our D looked 100% better. The first half was bad but the second was what I hope to see more of from our D.

Geo
11-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Jason David, like a tiger waiting to pounce on its prey, was just waiting for the right time to break out. Please believe.

TigerBait45
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
The best part of the game was Sed Ellis doing the Pee Wee Herman dance

Bruce Banner
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
lifted from bucland

after going without Bush for 4 games the Saints have the #1 offense in football, including the #1 passing offense. I should've bumped this a week ago before Bush came back, but the results are still there. The Saints scored 51, 30, 20, and 37 points without Reggie Bush. For those who don't feel like doing the math, that averages out to 34.5 points a game. Yea, Bush really drives that offense.
the Saints average 25 points per game, and are 3-5 with Reggie Bush in the lineup this year.

The Saints score 9.5 more points per game and are 3-1 without Reggie Bush in the lineup.

diabsoule
12-01-2008, 11:03 PM
lifted from bucland

That's exactly what I was talking about in the Week 13 thread. Bill Simmons calls it the Ewing Theory and it's completely true. We're a better, more balanced team without Bush.

Geo
12-02-2008, 12:45 AM
I blame Reggie Bush for the two Drew Brees interceptions ending the last two Saints' drives.

Stupid bust.

diabsoule
12-02-2008, 12:50 AM
I blame Reggie Bush for the two Drew Brees interceptions ending the last two Saints' drives.

Stupid bust.

You're sarcasm is tangible. You're right, it wasn't Bush's fault. However, if we would've played smarter and had better play-calling in the first 3 quarters we wouldn't have have had Brees air it out against a defense that usually gives us fits.

On the other hand, Bush did nothing in this past game. And the stats Bruce Banner posted only strengthen my argument.

This loss isn't on Brees, Bush, or any of the players for that matter. It lies directly on the shoulders of Sean Payton and the entire coaching staff. Just like all of the other losses this year. I'm not saying we should be undefeated but we should be better than our record indicates.

wicket
12-02-2008, 11:13 AM
damn I'm a notre dame and saints fan, my teams and good coaching apparently dont go hand in hand

vikes_28
12-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Stupid bust.

totally called that before he was drafted. not even lieing

coolguy9787
12-03-2008, 05:09 PM
St Bernard parish. 10 minutes from the dome.

CJSchneider
12-04-2008, 07:08 AM
As I've said in other posts, until they use him properly, he will not be the player people expect.

diabsoule
12-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I wonder what the trade value for John Stinchcomb would be? Anybody?

wicket
12-05-2008, 04:17 AM

trading him will prolly cost us draftpicks. But a little bit more serious i dont think we should trade him cause besides a lack of quality at the ol we could also use the depth

SugarSean
12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Saints RB Pierre Thomas. I'm not a Saints homer....I'm not even a Saints fan but I do live in the New Orleans area and I am forced to watch them play every single week. Week in and week out, Pierre Thomas does spectacular things with the ball in his hands. He's, in my opinion, a special talent that will be underutilized by the Saints and eventually traded when a team matches whatever tender the Saints put on him. I've seen every touch of the guys' career and I really believe that if he is given the opportunity to make plays, he will be a top 10 back in the league. What do you guys think about Thomas?

And I didn't post this in the Saints forum b/c I don't want a million homer replies. I wanna know what everybody thinks about him.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I think that Pierre does best when the Saints passing game has forced most of the defenders out of the box and the ones still in the box's first step tends to be backwards. That makes him really hard to evaluate.

Would I rate him as a top 10 runner if I'm separating him from his surrounding talent as best I can? Not really. Could he be a top 10 runner in terms of production on that offense? I don't see any reason he couldn't be. Spectacular might be a bit much to put on Thomas, but he's definitely capable of racking up yards in this league.

ChezPower4
12-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't think Thomas will ever be a top 10 back, even if he was givin 20-25 touches a game.

BlindSite
12-06-2008, 09:19 PM
I tend to agree with the first response.

When you've got Brees throwing for 300+ every game and more players either blitzing or back in coverage either way you've got space for a RB to make plays.

That being said, I think a team that needs a running back with some talent would find a stable every down producer in Thomas.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
He benefits a lot from Brees in the same way that Edge and Addai benefited from Manning

That said, he still deserves props for taking away an excuse from the Bush apologists

TonyRomoFan9
12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Reggie Bush is pretty good.

bored of education
12-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Reggie Bush is pretty good.

nice sig dude

Hawk
12-07-2008, 12:06 AM
nice sig dude

best.sig.ever.

TonyRomoFan9
12-07-2008, 01:20 AM
lol i got an infraction for it :)

a bit tooooo big.

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with all of you. Watch the saints today and you will see that it is Brees that benefits from Thomas...not the other way around. When Bush gets the majority of the touches out of the backfield the saints offense is greatly held back. Thomas will have another great game if given the opportunity. Just watch the guy.

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 02:46 PM
How can u deny the guy? He's a special talent. Is anybody actually watching the saints play this year??

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 03:08 PM
god we need an official homer thread

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Dude are u kiddin me? I'm a football fan. NOT a saints fan. NOT a Pierre Thomas homer. I have no affiliation with the guy whatsoever. I just like football and the guy can ball. The dude will be the truth when the saints finally decide to run the offense through him for good.

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I was tryin to get opinions on him but its unnecessary now. Now i'm just peepin all yall to him. For the guys that say that he succeeds due to Brees, todays game was another example as to why that couldn't be more wrong.

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 03:29 PM
yea cause Brees is so awful without Thomas. Wait...

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Dude but is the TEAM better when they're not running the offense through Thomas? Who cares if Brees throws for 400+ yards 2 tds and a pick every game without him bein involved? Today Brees passed for 220 and they beat a team that smoked the saints last time they played. Why is that?? B/c they ran the offense throught Thomas.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-07-2008, 03:34 PM
yea cause Brees is so awful without Thomas. Wait...

This what I don't get. Brees did almost all of his record-pace work before Thomas was getting significant carries.

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Dude but is the TEAM better when they're not running the offense through Thomas? Who cares if Brees throws for 400+ yards 2 tds and a pick every game without him bein involved? Today Brees passed for 220 and they beat a team that smoked the saints last time they played. Why is that?? B/c they ran the offense throught Thomas.
obviously they are better. that doesnt mean brees benefits from him. he kinda plays like he always does. They benefit from each other, but Pierre tHomas benefits alot lot lot more. Its kinda like Addai/E.James and Manning. But to say Brees benefits from him more is wrong. Team was not ur point

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh my God. Who the **** cares if he was on pace to break the passing yardage record? He was on pace for over 650 passing attempts. It wasn't efficient. Its a record that you do NOT want to break. The more balanced the saints attack is, the better they are as a team. Anybody with two eyes that has seen them play knows this.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-07-2008, 03:40 PM
You didn't say that the Saints are better, you said Brees is better. And I don't see evidence for that.

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 03:43 PM
obviously they are better. that doesnt mean brees benefits from him. he kinda plays like he always does. They benefit from each other, but Pierre tHomas benefits alot lot lot more. Its kinda like Addai/E.James and Manning. But to say Brees benefits from him more is wrong. Team was not ur point

Dude I never said that Brees isn't a good quarterback. He is more efficient and better when the offense is ran through Thomas. On top of this, the team is better. And Brees has nothing to do with Thomas' kick returns. Have u ever watched him play? Be honest. Yes, the guy has a good qb but his success has nothing to do with Brees being good. Brees has NO effect on his ability to read holes, break tackles and fight for extra yards. Reggie Bush 3.3. Deuce 3.6. Pierre Thomas 4.6. The numbers don't lie.

bearsfan_51
12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
This is such an obvious case of protesting too much. You say you dont' care but you are ******** bricks because nobody agrees with you.

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
This is such an obvious case of protesting too much. You say you dont' care but you are ******** bricks because nobody agrees with you.

I'm not ******** bricks. We're having a football debate dude. I'm passionate about the sport. My point is that I actually watch the guy play. Making comparisons to Edge or Addai is ridiculous. In the Colts offense EVERY running back thrives. In the saint offense ONE does. It has nothing to do with situation...it's about talent.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
In the Colts offense EVERY running back thrives. In the saint offense ONE does.

?

Today
Pierre - 16 carries, 6.4 YPC
Bush - 10 carries, 8.0 YPC

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Is this dude serious? When u have a run go for 40+ yards and you only have 10 carries ur yards per carry will be abnormally high. Please try to make the argument that Bush was the more productive runner today and I'll just leave it alone. It really won't even be worth my time to try to explain football to you.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Is this dude serious? When u have a run go for 40+ yards and you only have 10 carries ur yards per carry will be abnormally high. Please try to make the argument that Bush was the more productive runner today and I'll just leave it alone. It really won't even be worth my time to try to explain football to you.

Boy, I'm not sure I could handle such an obviously informed football opinion. My brain might start leaking.

Listen. Everything is based on situation. Pierre is a good runner, but he and Bush were both very successful today, which would seem to indicate that more than one runner has success in that offense. In terms of total offensive yardage, Pierre had 3 more yards on four more touches. I'm not trying to denigrate Pierre, but you stance that he's the glue of that offense and that he's the only successful running back on that team is frankly delusional.

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Dude I never said that Brees isn't a good quarterback. He is more efficient and better when the offense is ran through Thomas. On top of this, the team is better. And Brees has nothing to do with Thomas' kick returns. Have u ever watched him play? Be honest. Yes, the guy has a good qb but his success has nothing to do with Brees being good. Brees has NO effect on his ability to read holes, break tackles and fight for extra yards. Reggie Bush 3.3. Deuce 3.6. Pierre Thomas 4.6. The numbers don't lie.
yes. Pierre Thomas had 200 yards against the Bears, and i saw them play. He is a nice RB, kinda does what Deuce did 2 years ago. But nothing special at all.

******* Pierre sparks the rush offense. But he is NOTHING Special. Brees makes that team. There is no game Pierre Thomas won them

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Boy, I'm not sure I could handle such an obviously informed football opinion. My brain might start leaking.

Listen. Everything is based on situation. Pierre is a good runner, but he and Bush were both very successful today, which would seem to indicate that more than one runner has success in that offense. In terms of total offensive yardage, Pierre had 3 more yards on four more touches. I'm not trying to denigrate Pierre, but you stance that he's the glue of that offense and that he's the only successful running back on that team is frankly delusional.

I was about to just leave the situation alone but this is downright laughable. Are you making the basis of your whole argument off of ONE game? Can you really let ONE game lead you to believe that both are successful in the offense? Do u suffer from memory loss or do you not remember last weeks 3 carry O yard performance by Bush? I'm looking at season and career numbers, along with actual game film, to support my argument. What are you using as your argument to prove that he is NOT the only successful running back on the team?

Paranoidmoonduck
12-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Why wouldn't a situation when they're running behind an offensive line that's performing the same, against the same defense, in the same part of the year mean a whole lot? We haven't had many chances to see the two perform alongside each other. Besides, this was easily Pierre's best game all season. If you're using past performances and ignoring this game as simply one occurence, what evidence are you using that he makes this offense go?

steelersfan43
12-07-2008, 04:17 PM
I love this guy, Ive liked him since he was a rook

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I was about to just leave the situation alone but this is downright laughable. Are you making the basis of your whole argument off of ONE game? Can you really let ONE game lead you to believe that both are successful in the offense? Do u suffer from memory loss or do you not remember last weeks 3 carry O yard performance by Bush? I'm looking at season and career numbers, along with actual game film, to support my argument. What are you using as your argument to prove that he is NOT the only successful running back on the team?
Everyone knows Reggie Bush is not a great inside the tackles runners. And he still succeed this year. I dont get your laugh. How many games have you seen

Bruce Banner
12-07-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.gifanatics.com/files/mofoyh4au3.gif

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.gifanatics.com/files/mofoyh4au3.gif
who was that directed at?

EDIT: nvm, i forgot what he wrote.

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 04:30 PM
yes. Pierre Thomas had 200 yards against the Bears, and i saw them play. He is a nice RB, kinda does what Deuce did 2 years ago. But nothing special at all.

******* Pierre sparks the rush offense. But he is NOTHING Special. Brees makes that team. There is no game Pierre Thomas won them

WTF are u talking about? Pierre won them the game today. On the post-game show he was declared the player of the game. NOT Brees. And the one game you saw of Thomas was his first career start, in which he had 100+ rushing and 100+ receiving and your take on him is that he is nothing special? No saint has ever done that before and that was the impression he left on you? You're comin on here and commenting on a thread where you've only seen the player in question play ONE time. Just watch the guy play. There are subtleties to the game of football that can't be measured in stats. Strength, size and speed doesn't always make a great runningback. He does all the little things that make an rb great. Just like before the draft when I was the only one saying that Matt Forte would be a very successful tailback, while everyone else (Scott Wright included) compared him to Jacob Hester and call him a fullback or fullback/tailback hybrid, I actually watch the guy play so I can accurately get a read on his talent. As the season goes on more and more people will start to realize that the guy is special. Remember where you heard it first.

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 04:37 PM
it was the Bears. The bears were ******* horrible last year. I couldve done that against the bears.

And no i havent seen him only 1 time. I saw the Saints in both TB games, the Denver game, and the SD game. He was a nice RB, a really good compliment to Bush. But he was nothing special. U know whats special? LT. Westbrook. A RB that is carrying his team. He is playing on a pass first team. Has nice stats. So how can u say he doesnt benefit from Brees and teh #1 ranked pass offense? EVERYONE would benefit from that.

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Why wouldn't a situation when they're running behind an offensive line that's performing the same, against the same defense, in the same part of the year mean a whole lot? We haven't had many chances to see the two perform alongside each other. Besides, this was easily Pierre's best game all season. If you're using past performances and ignoring this game as simply one occurence, what evidence are you using that he makes this offense go?

This game is not being ignored, my point is that its a part of a sample. Today's game is not the end all be all. I'm looking at the overall picture and you're simply using a game, which Pierre was far more productive, to prove that Bush is successful in the offense.

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 04:44 PM
so how about the other things Bush has done this year? IMO Bush is more valuable to the team than Thomas. Not to the rushing game but the Offense

SugarSean
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
so how about the other things Bush has done this year? IMO Bush is more valuable to the team than Thomas. Not to the rushing game but the Offense

Again...wholeheartedly disagree. Bush's ypc is down and his drops are up greatly this year. If you watch the saints play then you would easily see this. I, too, loved Bush comin out of college but the guy aint the same player. Zero toughness. Zero ability as a runner. Minimal receiving ability. Down there with T.O. and Colston for having the worst hands this year. An accurate comparison for him would be Jamaal Charles with a bigger contract and much less running ability. His only value has been as a punt returner this year. What else exactly has Bush done this year?

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
jesus christ, how many times: Ive seen the saints play. He is a good safety valve for Brees if nothing is open downfield. I mean there is a reason he has 9 TDs even though he missed 4 games. He didnt have a good game against the Tampa Buccs but he was coming back from an injury.

VIGSWIG
12-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Ok Im an avid Saints fan I put Sugar Sean( who is an avid cowgirls fan) on P-AIR Thomas 2 years ago before he ever got a regular season carry and said he was the best running basck on the saints roster.. He is head and shoulders above Reggie Bust(who is nothing more than a glorified 3rd down back and special teamer... Pierre Thomas is an up and coming Brian Westbrook and given the oppurtunities Westbrook gets Pierre would outperform him.. Half of you in here prolly have never seen PT play you just think hes an average joe because ESPN doesnt blow him like they do their media darlings.. but understand this Pierre Thomas is a top 5 NFC talent and if Sean Payton( who is the worst NFL Head Coach bar none) lets him get his touches you will all be eatin crow... trust that

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 05:21 PM
hahahaha outperform Westbrook hahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahaha

VIGSWIG
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
and Sugar Sean you trying to enlighten these dudes from what it looks like they are un enlightenable but YOU remember where you heard it 1st son

VIGSWIG
12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Reggie Bush is the worst RB in the league by the way him and Julius Jones are what and what... Id much rather have Leon Washingtn than Reggie Bush.. I watch every saints game.. Bush is the most bytch made untough football player in the league.. if he doesnt get wide open field hes useless.. Pierre is the real deal and will be the staple of our offense for years to come... once the anaylsts and so-called experts start jockin him dont come jump on the bandwagon

Gay Ork Wang
12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
is this sugersean with a 2nd account?

Paranoidmoonduck
12-07-2008, 05:51 PM
This game is not being ignored, my point is that its a part of a sample. Today's game is not the end all be all. I'm looking at the overall picture and you're simply using a game, which Pierre was far more productive, to prove that Bush is successful in the offense.

I would actually point to the 600 yards and 6 touchdowns he racked up in his first 6 games this season to prove that Bush is successful in this offense.

Menardo75
12-07-2008, 06:13 PM
He is a great contributer to the team. He is a nice inside runner that is a nice complement to a power running back. He also has great hands out of the back field and, a nice kick returner.

wicket
12-08-2008, 01:44 AM
C.mon guys I think if we win out we'll have a great chance at going to the playoffs. With the insainly tough remaining scedule for both carolina and dallas they ought to drop a few games. It would suck so much getting 10-6 and seeing some 9-7 weak ass team like chicago or arizona (who only have a winning record cause they play their own division) making it to the playoffs

bearsfan_51
12-08-2008, 01:49 AM
C.mon guys I think if we win out we'll have a great chance at going to the playoffs. With the insainly tough remaining scedule for both carolina and dallas they ought to drop a few games. It would suck so much getting 10-6 and seeing some 9-7 weak ass team like chicago or arizona (who only have a winning record cause they play their own division) making it to the playoffs

Hah. This weak ass team has beaten you the last two times, and probably will again.

Flyboy
12-08-2008, 02:43 AM
totally called that before he was drafted. not even lieing

You don't pick up sarcasm well.

diabsoule
12-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Hah. This weak ass team has beaten you the last two times, and probably will again.

It's very possible. We don't play well in Chicago in winter.

Geo
12-11-2008, 01:03 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/11/saints-wont-extend-vilma-to-detriment-of-new-york-teams/

Adam Schefter
Saints won’t extend Vilma, to detriment of NY teams

Had New Orleans resigned linebacker Jonathan Vilma to a long-term contract extension this season, or even shortly thereafter, two New York teams would have benefited.

First, the conditional fourth-round pick the Saints traded to the Jets for Vilma would have become a second-round pick.

And if that Vilma trade with the Jets had involved a second-round pick, then the Saints would have been forced to compensate the New York Giants with a first-round pick for tight end Jeremy Shockey.

But New Orleans can exhale. The Saints did not resign Vilma, and will not attempt to do so until he becomes a free agent, thus the value the Jets and Giants receive now can be determined.

The conditional fourth-round pick the Saints traded to the Jets for Vilma will become a third-round pick in 2009. The Jets used the Saints fourth-round pick in 2008, but they will have to return a fourth-round pick to New Orleans this April.

And while the Jets get the Saints third-round pick, the Giants will get New Orleans’ second-round pick for Shockey.

So the Saints now are scheduled to have their first-round pick, and two fourth-round picks, with no second- or third-round picks.

diabsoule
12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/11/saints-wont-extend-vilma-to-detriment-of-new-york-teams/

Ouch. I can understand why we're not going to extend him, however, I'm just hoping he doesn't leave through FA. He's been a leader on our D and has had a hell of a season.

My hope now is that we will trade down in the draft and try pick up a 3rd round pick from someone.

AlexDown
12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting.

I haven't seen him play at all this year unfortunately.

diabsoule
12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
They probably already have a contract in place for him to sign whenever he does his free agency and this is a way just to keep from handing over those draft picks.

It's not a terrible idea but it's also risky. He's the type of MLB we've needed for years and he'll become better too as we add more talent to our front seven. We're only a DT and OLB away from having a very good to great front seven.

saintsfan912
12-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Hopefully he understands what the front office is trying to do. I'm sure they expressed to him that he is in our long term plans but we need our picks as well to improve the team.

CJSchneider
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
OK, I still see us trying to trade down though.
1,4,4,7 + compensatory picks. Not optimal when you look at the number of key injuries we had this year.

SaintsMan
12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Trade down and pick a Safety. Derek Pegues maybe?

CJSchneider
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Trade down and pick a Safety. Derek Pegues maybe?

I think he would be available in the late 2nd.

diabsoule
12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
OK, I still see us trying to trade down though.
1,4,4,7 + compensatory picks. Not optimal when you look at the number of key injuries we had this year.

Which big name player did we lose this year through FA that would net us a compensatory pick?

Gay Ork Wang
12-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Doug Marone is expected to take the Syracuse HC job

SaintsMan
12-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Which big name player did we lose this year through FA that would net us a compensatory pick?

Jeff Faine and nobody else worth mentioning

diabsoule
12-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Jeff Faine and nobody else worth mentioning

I'm wondering what we would get for him since we didn't really sign a significant FA last year except Bobby McCray.

Didn't Jeff Faine sign the biggest contract ever for a center?

Geo
12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Bobby McCray and Randall *** could potentially counter the loss of Faine.

SugarSean
12-11-2008, 09:38 PM
This post was never meant to be a homer post but I really hope u guys are watching Thomas. He is legit. Today Brees is havin the worst game of his career and Pierre is carrying the team on his back. What can anybody say now? Everybody is co-signing the guy. Just admit you were wrong gaywangork. Be a man. Just admit you were wrong.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2008, 09:39 PM
This post was never meant to be a homer post but I really hope u guys are watching Thomas. He is legit. Today Brees is havin the worst game of his career and Pierre is carrying the team on his back. What can anybody say now? Everybody is co-signing the guy. Just admit you were wrong gaywangork. Be a man. Just admit you were wrong.

I actually like Thomas, but he had one nice run. That's it. "Carrying them on his back?" Really? First of all, they are losing. Second of all, outside of one run that had spectacular blocking, he has 14 carries for 42 yards. Woot.

SaintsMan
12-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I would like to see what Thomas could do, on team with a decent run blocking O-Line.

SaintsMan
12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm wondering what we would get for him since we didn't really sign a significant FA last year except Bobby McCray.

Didn't Jeff Faine sign the biggest contract ever for a center?

Yeah, Faine is the highest paid Center

SugarSean
12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
I actually like Thomas, but he had one nice run. That's it. "Carrying them on his back?" Really? First of all, they are losing. Second of all, outside of one run that had spectacular blocking, he has 14 carries for 42 yards. Woot.

I"m talkin bout FOOTBALL plays. Please tell me ur listening to Mark Schlereth right now. Pierre diving for the first down (got a horrible spot) was a great football play. The dude is a player. His touchdown run was not great blocking, it was GOOD blocking an a very good cut by pierre. He fights for extra yardage, like Marion Barber and he is a huge threat out the backfield like Brian Westbrook (although he doesn't have the top of Westbrook). He didn't have his best game but he still had 140+ total yards and 2 touchdowns against a more than capable defense. Give the dude his respect.

captainjack27
12-11-2008, 11:07 PM
The more I see him, the more impressed I am with him. Granted it's only been a couple games, but he's certainly been impressive.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
The thing is, I already said I like Thomas, but when you compare him to a combination of Marion Barber and Brian Westbrook you just look really,really, really stupid. He's a nice, well-rounded, runningback. He's not an elite player by any means though.

captainjack27
12-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I"m talkin bout FOOTBALL plays. Please tell me ur listening to Mark Schlereth right now. Pierre diving for the first down (got a horrible spot) was a great football play. The dude is a player. His touchdown run was not great blocking, it was GOOD blocking an a very good cut by pierre. He fights for extra yardage, like Marion Barber and he is a huge threat out the backfield like Brian Westbrook (although he doesn't have the top of Westbrook). He didn't have his best game but he still had 140+ total yards and 2 touchdowns against a more than capable defense. Give the dude his respect.

Brian Westbrook and Marion Barber???? uhhh not so fast there. He's a good spark, but he's no where near their level.

PACKmanN
12-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I think of Ryan Grant when I see him.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I think of Ryan Grant when I see him.
Ryan Grant runs with more power, and Thomas is probably a better pass-catcher.

Well....2007 Ryan Grant. I haven't seen as much burst from him this year.

Honestly I think Pierre Thomas is a slightly softer version of Matt Forte. He's a good back to have on your team, and a serviceable #1.

diabsoule
12-11-2008, 11:57 PM
PT plays with a lot of heart, has a decent burst, has soft hands, can power his way forward at times, and does and admirable job at blocking but he can't be relied upon continually to grind out the tough yards. He's basically a jack of all trades/master of none type of player. He's a serviceable #1 as bf_51 pointed out but he's needs those complimentary backs that will make him look better. Reggie Bush can be that type of back but we need a bruiser to bring in on those tough 3rd and 1 situations.

I've liked PT for a while and wanted him to be the featured back last year and have been louder in my advocacy for that this year. He won't ever be an All-Pro and probably won't ever make a Pro-Bowl but he's the type of player that every team needs and gives 110% every time he's on the field.

CashmoneyDrew
12-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Why the hell did this bastard choose tonight to go off? He couldn't wait until next week when I'm not playing him in the semi-finals of my fantasy league? ****.

diabsoule
12-13-2008, 12:11 AM
With Doug Marrone leaving for the Syracuse job, I'd like for Stan Brock to take over as our OC. I know he won't call any plays since that is what Sean Payton does but Brock could be our new OL coach.

Here's Brock's background:

Offensive Tackle - 1980-1992 - New Orleans Saints
Offensive Tackle - 1993-1995 - San Diego Chargers
Head Coach - Portland Forest Dragons (AFL) - 1997-1999
Head Coach - Los Angeles Avengers (AFL) - 2000-2001
Offensive Line Coach - USMA Black Knights - 2002-2005
Head Coach - USMA Black Knights - 2005-2008

I think he'd be a very good replacement for Marrone.

Also, do you guys think we should replace our Special Teams Coordinator? Our ST has been terrible this year.

Crickett
12-13-2008, 02:03 AM

Two bags of Blazin Buffalo and ranch doritos. The large bags, not the 99 cent ones.

diabsoule
12-13-2008, 02:32 AM
A bit off topic a bit but there is a player I've had my eye on since the 2006 draft that I would love to see in the black and gold is Jon Alston.

I remember when the '06 draft rolled around I was looking at the linebacker from Stanford as a strong safety. He has prototypical height and weight (6'1, 220) and possesses outstanding speed for a man his size (4.45-4.50). After reading several interviews he has struck as a man of intelligence and dedication. In the correct scheme I think he could be a terror in the SS spot, someone like Troy Polamalu. A person you could scheme around and make the focal point of your defense. A headhunter if you will.

If he could be paired with a speedy, centerfield type FS I think he could do wonders. I'm sure I'm wishing in one hand here but I'd love to see what he could do. He just reminds me of a faster version of Sammy Knight.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060423091254/www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/jonalston.html

diabsoule
12-13-2008, 10:28 PM
What do you guys think of the idea of us trading one our starting DE's in the offseason?

wicket
12-14-2008, 09:09 AM
What do you guys think of the idea of us trading one our starting DE's in the offseason?

Obviously it depends on what we can get but if i had to chose charles grant due to age and stuff, but im not really up to it unless we can get something great and i dont see any of them warranting a first rounder.

SaintsFanForLife
12-15-2008, 09:33 AM

Grant would be the one I would trade off. I still think we need to get off our butts and spend some cash on a SS or FS. We have no speed nor do we have any heavy hitters. There is nothing to worry about when game planing against our S's.

SaintsFanForLife
12-15-2008, 02:19 PM
So what do you guys think of Vilma. To sign or not to sign?

I really like Vilma and think he has been a big part of our D. It would be stupid not to sign Vilma. I dont care what we lose he is young and is a great player and leader that will only get better.

diabsoule
12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
So what do you guys think of Vilma. To sign or not to sign?

I really like Vilma and think he has been a big part of our D. It would be stupid not to sign Vilma. I dont care what we lose he is young and is a great player and leader that will only get better.

I have a feeling that we have a deal already in place for him and the only reason we're letting him hit FA is just so we don't have to give up the draft picks.

I am confident that we will re-sign him.

diabsoule
12-16-2008, 03:10 AM
I know this probably won't do a damn bit of good but I've been pouring over assistant coaches in the league trying to find some of the guys that I'd like to become our next defensive coordinator. Here are some that I've been very intrigued by:

Sean McDermott (Current PHI secondary coach) - Andy Reid has nothing but praise for him and he's at the top of my list. I see him as a Steve Spagnuolo type of DC.

Raheem Morris (Current TB secondary coach) - Word is that he will be Monte Kiffin's replacement if he leaves to go to UT. Personally, I'd love for Morris to come to N.O. and install a Cover 2 secondary scheme. We have the CB's in place, all we need our the safeties and we're looking to replace our current ones anyway.
With it pretty much a lock for him to stay in TB is why he's my #2.

Bill Sheridan (Current NYG linebackers coach) - Supposedly the Giants want him to become their DC if Spags leaves. If that doesn't tell you anything then nothing will.

Casey Bradley (Current TB linebackers coach) - A youthful former collegiate player, Bradley works very closely with Monte Kiffin in helping to formulate game plans. He's known for his defensive prowess and been successful in each coaching position he's held. He's young but I think he's worth taking a risk on.

Alan Williams (Current IND secondary coach) - A disciple of Tony Dungy and whose been a long time assistant to him, Williams has coached the Colts secondary since 2001. He's helped develop and bring along all of their corners as well as develop Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea into top safeties. He knows the Cover 2 very well and knows how to utilize the safeties.

Keith Butler (current PIT linebackers coach) - He has been in this position for the past five years and has developed each of the Steelers linebacking units in as many years. His linebackers are known for their intensity and physicality as well as their aggressiveness. I'm not sure how he'd be as a DC but if we can learn anything from how his LB's play in the game then I think he may be aggressive, intelligent, and intense.

Mark Duffner (Current JAX linebackers coach) - Jacksonville traditionally has strong linebackers and this guy knows how to develop them. He instills an old school toughness in the LB's and makes them feared on the field.

bearsfan_51
12-16-2008, 03:19 AM
The Saints should hire former LSU Assistant Head Coach/Current Vikings D-Line coach Karl Dunbar. It amazes me he hasn't gotten a promotion somewhere. He's been successful almost everywhere he's been.

SaintsFanForLife
12-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I know this probably won't do a damn bit of good but I've been pouring over assistant coaches in the league trying to find some of the guys that I'd like to become our next defensive coordinator. Here are some that I've been very intrigued by:

Sean McDermott (Current PHI secondary coach) - Andy Reid has nothing but praise for him and he's at the top of my list. I see him as a Steve Spagnuolo type of DC.

Raheem Morris (Current TB secondary coach) - Word is that he will be Monte Kiffin's replacement if he leaves to go to UT. Personally, I'd love for Morris to come to N.O. and install a Cover 2 secondary scheme. We have the CB's in place, all we need our the safeties and we're looking to replace our current ones anyway.
With it pretty much a lock for him to stay in TB is why he's my #2.

Bill Sheridan (Current NYG linebackers coach) - Supposedly the Giants want him to become their DC if Spags leaves. If that doesn't tell you anything then nothing will.

Casey Bradley (Current TB linebackers coach) - A youthful former collegiate player, Bradley works very closely with Monte Kiffin in helping to formulate game plans. He's known for his defensive prowess and been successful in each coaching position he's held. He's young but I think he's worth taking a risk on.

Alan Williams (Current IND secondary coach) - A disciple of Tony Dungy and whose been a long time assistant to him, Williams has coached the Colts secondary since 2001. He's helped develop and bring along all of their corners as well as develop Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea into top safeties. He knows the Cover 2 very well and knows how to utilize the safeties.

Keith Butler (current PIT linebackers coach) - He has been in this position for the past five years and has developed each of the Steelers linebacking units in as many years. His linebackers are known for their intensity and physicality as well as their aggressiveness. I'm not sure how he'd be as a DC but if we can learn anything from how his LB's play in the game then I think he may be aggressive, intelligent, and intense.

Mark Duffner (Current JAX linebackers coach) - Jacksonville traditionally has strong linebackers and this guy knows how to develop them. He instills an old school toughness in the LB's and makes them feared on the field.

Keith Butler and Sean McDermott would be my picks. I also still like
G. Williams and he just got dropped from the Jags. I just dont think we put to much pressure on QB's we almost never Blitz. We really could be so much better with better coaching on the D.

diabsoule
12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
The Saints should hire former LSU Assistant Head Coach/Current Vikings D-Line coach Karl Dunbar. It amazes me he hasn't gotten a promotion somewhere. He's been successful almost everywhere he's been.

I was looking at him last night and he seems to have most of his success at the colliegiate level. If we could hire him as a DL coach then I'd be all for it, I'm just not sure if he's anything more than that.

bearsfan_51
12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
I was looking at him last night and he seems to have most of his success at the colliegiate level. If we could hire him as a DL coach then I'd be all for it, I'm just not sure if he's anything more than that.
You wouldn't consider the Vikings and Bears defensive line to be successful?

diabsoule
12-16-2008, 02:18 PM
You wouldn't consider the Vikings and Bears defensive line to be successful?

I said most, not all, of his success has come at the collegiate level. He coached the Bears DL for one year. Forgive me for being skeptical of someone who has had success with Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, and Jared Allen playing on the same DL together.

Three nonconsecutive years in the NFL, two while coaching one of the most talented defensive line units in the league, hardly makes me want to pause and toss his name in the ring to be a defensive coordinator.

Someone who I wouldn't mind considering is Bud Foster.

diabsoule
12-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Mike Lombardi thinks Derrick Ward would be a great fit in New Orleans. I find that funny since I think the same thing.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d90964

TigerBait45
12-27-2008, 08:18 PM

I think he's going to make a really good DC for somebody eventually.

BamaFalcon59
12-27-2008, 11:20 PM
I said most, not all, of his success has come at the collegiate level. He coached the Bears DL for one year. Forgive me for being skeptical of someone who has had success with Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, and Jared Allen playing on the same DL together.

Three nonconsecutive years in the NFL, two while coaching one of the most talented defensive line units in the league, hardly makes me want to pause and toss his name in the ring to be a defensive coordinator.

Someone who I wouldn't mind considering is Bud Foster.

I would have a burning desire to destroy something if Bud Foster left.

boknows34
01-07-2009, 07:48 AM
A serious blow for Bush.

From rotoworld.com

Saints GM Mickey Loomis revealed Tuesday that Reggie Bush recently had microfracture surgery on his left knee.

The Saints initially called the surgery a simple scope, but it was much more serious and deals a blow to Bush's long-term outlook. While Loomis claims Bush will be ready by June minicamps, that's far from certain. Athletes that need microfracture typically are nearing a bone-on-bone condition due to a lack of cartilage in a joint. The procedure doesn't always fix the problem. This is the third operation on Bush's left knee in the last two years, which is a very negative sign for a player that relies so much on cutting ability and speed.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I think Jason Kidd had that and it slowed him down afterwards. Man his career really hasn't panned out the way I imagined it when he first got drafted.

CC.SD
01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I think Jason Kidd had that and it slowed him down afterwards. Man his career really hasn't panned out the way I imagined it when he first got drafted.

You are not alone.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
You are not alone.

He was supposed to be something special. Basically all the success Peterson has had for the Vikings I expected that kind of success. Bush has amazing running skills, with hands like Brian Westbrook, with special teams skills like Hester. He was supposed to take this league by storm, and have an impact like Peterson and the other players. But instead it has been sporadic, with lots of injuries.

CJSchneider
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM

That's an understatement.

Twiddler
01-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Yikes, not looking too great for his future.

Beans
01-07-2009, 11:31 AM
whenever i hear stuff like this i have to think back to espn collectively jacking off to the thought of him before the draft

illmatic74
01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
whenever i hear stuff like this i have to think back to espn collectively jacking off to the thought of him before the draftThey sure did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEHhQ5wTC8

NY+Giants=NYG
01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
whenever i hear stuff like this i have to think back to espn collectively jacking off to the thought of him before the draft

The thought was good enough to jack off too. He basically was Adrian Peterson, with the pass catching ability to of Westbrook with the special teams ability of Hester. That's a sick amount of talent and production at the college level. That's where the research into if those skills would translate into NFL production is very important.

He pretty much went to hall of fame potential to basically an offense's version of the defense's joker or wildcard key. Being moved around here and there. Bush still showed flashes, but no where near the expectations which was set for him, or even showed in college. Factor in getting hurt and surgeries and it's not good.

TimD
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
They sure did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEHhQ5wTC8

LOL at all the Jets fans bitching. One of the drafts we got right. Bush, Leinart, Young, and D'Brick were the 4 guys were really looking at. We made the right call

soybean
01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
sigh... game over.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I was a pretty outspoken critic of Reggie at the time. Thought he would really need to adjust his running style because he will no longer be able to run through gaping holes and be three tiers better than anyone else on the field(PAC-10 defenses were awful that year). At first, he didn't and really really struggled. He was definitely beginning to turn the corner though and become a decent runner between the tackles. Never thought he would be Peterson though. It's really a shame to see this happen to such a young player. I can't name any football players who have gotten microfracture off the top of my head, but I know Amare Stoudemire did and he lost a lot of his explosion. He was able to develop a jumper to compensate, unfortunately there is no jumpshot in football. I hope he can recover most of his athleticism, because if not, I really don't see much of a future for him. He was never an overly tough runner and that could be all he would have had left.

Miaoww
01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
DeShaun Foster had microfracture surgery in his rookie season (injured during the pre-season). I never saw him play in college so I couldn't tell you whether it hindered his athletic ability or not. For what it's worth, the procedure sounded brutal at the time I remember.

BlindSite
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Foster has always been an average tailback so its hard to tell. Stephen Davis was never the same, I think it involves drilling into the bone or something to help create cartilidge I could be way off though.

captainjack27
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
It's a shame injuries have hindered his career so badly.

01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Despite all the criticism through the years this is the first time I can recall ever losing out hope on his career. Thanks for the memories. :(

btw I am fine guys, lol.