PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm going to submit some applications to places like Walmart, Price Chopper and Rite Aid. A couple of questions for you guys.

Have you ever worked in a store?
Is cashier a good summer job?
Does it take long to learn how to be a cashier?
Would anyone be willing to hire an 18 year old with no experience (and an extensive crimminal background jk)?

My finals end tuesday and I need a summer job to keep me busy. What kind of job would you propose? (No, i'm not willing to be a prostitute)

tEk
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
go to a local lowe's if you want to part time cashier. no matter where you are located the avg starting pay for p/t is like 8.50 per hr.

bsaza2358
05-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I worked as a sales associate/cashier in a retail store for a summer. I personally enjoyed it, but I was working in basically a toy store, where I could play with cool toys. (Discovery Channel Store) I enjoyed my time there, but it was a positive work environment. Good manager and everything.

I don't think my time in a retail store is like working at a pharmacy or only as a cashier. You can make money being a cashier, but the experience isn't great for a professional life. Training doesn't take long, I don't think. Maybe 3 days. They will hire anyone who they can exploit.

Moses
05-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm going to submit some applications to places like Walmart, Price Chopper and Rite Aid. A couple of questions for you guys.

Have you ever worked in a store?
Is cashier a good summer job?
Does it take long to learn how to be a cashier?
Would anyone be willing to hire an 18 year old with no experience (and an extensive crimminal background jk)?

My finals end tuesday and I need a summer job to keep me busy. What kind of job would you propose? (No, i'm not willing to be a prostitute)

Dude, some pot smokers are cashiers. You're a hard-working, intelligent member of society. Don't you want to distance yourself from burnout losers who are unproductive members of society?

bsaza2358
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
If you want a job that is a little more respectable and actually applicable towards real life, I recommend going to be a bank teller. I did that for a summer, and it was much more enlightening from a business sense. Lots of banks have summer teller programs, as well. That takes about 2 weeks of training. Not sure if your experience will make it or not.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I've worked with some people that we've gotten jobs for at Wal Mart. And it seems like most of the younger kids, without experience...start off in stocking or pushing carts. I talked to this one kid, he started off with carts now he's in electronics.

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Dude, some pot smokers are cashiers. You're a hard-working, intelligent member of society. Don't you want to distance yourself from burnout losers who are unproductive members of society?
Get over it buddy. I have my opinions and stand by my convictions. The fact that you are not willing to let it go tells me that you know i'm right. Everywhere I post, there you are trolling. Take a hike buddy.

tEk
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I've worked with some people that we've gotten jobs for at Wal Mart. And it seems like most of the younger kids, without experience...start off in stocking or pushing carts. I talked to this one kid, he started off with carts now he's in electronics.aha... you work at apple one don't you.

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I've worked with some people that we've gotten jobs for at Wal Mart. And it seems like most of the younger kids, without experience...start off in stocking or pushing carts. I talked to this one kid, he started off with carts now he's in electronics.
Maybe I can go right to electronics. I'm one year in on a Electrical engineering degree and have a 4.0 GPA. I don't know if Walmart really cares about that though.

Moses
Get over it buddy. I have my opinions and stand by my convictions. The fact that you are not willing to let it go tells me that you know i'm right. Everywhere I post, there you are trolling. Take a hike buddy.

Just found it funny that you list yourself as a productive, intelligent member of society and you're asking advice on getting a job as a cashier. Then, you go on to state that pot smokers (who have became everything from philosophers, to scientists, to presidents) are unproductive idiots.

bsaza2358
Walmart will not pay you as well as some of these other places. I'm pretty sure about that.

moc182
go to a local lowe's if you want to part time cashier. no matter where you are located the avg starting pay for p/t is like 8.50 per hr.

Yep, easiest job in the world and I make 11 an hour.

bsaza2358
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Maybe I can go right to electronics. I'm one year in on a Electrical engineering degree and have a 4.0 GPA. I don't know if Walmart really cares about that though.

They don't at all. That might play better at a Best Buy or Target, though. You never know. Regardless, you won't get paid that much to do these jobs. Be prepared for that.

tEk
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Yep, easiest job in the world and I make 11 an hour.haha no way you work at lowe's?

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm probably going to look at Lowe's. It's conveniently located by Walmart.

moc182
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
haha no way you work at lowe's?

Yea man, I thought I was the only one.

tEk
05-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Yea man, I thought I was the only one.not any more man but i used to. i was the department manager of the garden dpt. great times. i was in tulsa, ok. what lowe's are you at man.

moc182
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
not any more man but i used to. i was the department manager of the garden dpt. great times. i was in tulsa, ok. what lowe's are you at man.

Ithaca, NY when I'm at school (1864) and Farmingdale, NY when I'm home (1709). I'm usually in returns and work on my rankings and mocks all day.

bsaza2358
05-09-2007, 01:06 PM
It's like a Lowe's convention in here. Craaazy!

Sportsfan486
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Find a local Country Club or independantly owned restaurant and get a job as a dishwasher or prep. cook.

You'll get decent pay and maybe learn how to cook a thing or two.

That pays off with the ladies, trust me...

It goes Movie Stars > Rock Stars > Guys that can cook... and I've actually had women tell me that.

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
It's like a Lowe's convention in here. Craaazy!
I'm going to apply. And if I get a job, I'm making an official Lowe's group on here.

bsaza2358
05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
That is kind of funny.

moc182
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm going to apply. And if I get a job, I'm making an official Lowe's group on here.

Lowes.com click careers on the bottom. Man I'm such a lowe's recruiter. Then I can teach you all about the magic of code 50's and zone recovery.

tEk
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Lowes.com click careers on the bottom. Man I'm such a lowe's recruiter. Then I can teach you all about the magic of code 50's and zone recovery.where are you going to apply. general area? if in ok area let me know i ll talk to my old store manager for ya.

tEk
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Lowes.com click careers on the bottom. Man I'm such a lowe's recruiter. Then I can teach you all about the magic of code 50's and zone recovery.do wear a vest or an apron?

moc182
05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
do wear a vest or an apron?

I'm a vest man myself, you?

tEk
05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm a vest man myself, you?yea vest is great. the damn velcro always came off.

moc182
05-09-2007, 01:22 PM
They have buttons now. Lowe's vest technology is constantly improving.

tEk
05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
They have buttons now. Lowe's vest technology is constantly improving.wow i might just go back to get a vest with buttons. but by far the best part was driving all of the forklifts. ahh such fun. especially when it was snowing and we would drift in the parking lot on a a 2" layer of ice. lol.

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I just applied. Why so many questions? You'ed think i'm protecting the Pope or something.

tEk
05-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I just applied. Why so many questions? You'ed think i'm protecting the Pope or something.its basically a screening process. if you pass that then they will interview you.

next step for you. call the store(s) you applied to and ask to talk to the Human Resources Manager. then say something like

"hello, my name is ricky bobby, i have just completed an online application for your store and was wondering when we could schedule an interview." then she'll pull up your app and either schedule you one or not.

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
its basically a screening process. if you pass that then they will interview you.

next step for you. call the store(s) you applied to and ask to talk to the Human Resources Manager. then say something like

"hello, my name is ricky bobby, i have just completed an online application for your store and was wondering when we could schedule an interview." then she'll pull up your app and either schedule you one or not.
It said they would contact me. They didn't show a phone number.

tEk
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
It said they would contact me. They didn't show a phone number.
here is what you do. use the store locater on the page and put in the store number or w/e find the store you applied to and call that store. then follow the steps above. trust me if you call it sound like you are eager to get started. then they will be more likely to hire you if you are lacking in other departments. also there will be little math tests and basic knowledge tests.

derza222
05-09-2007, 02:23 PM
My girlfriend is applying for a job that she's got a really good chance to get at a women's bathing suit store. Starts at $8 an hour plus commission, but after 2 weeks of training the $8 somehow jumps up to $25. I'm pretty jealous, because that's absolutely ridiculous.

As for the original question, only part I can answer is how is being a cashier. I work after school part-time (HS student) and I learned how to in a couple hours. Its really easy to do, and I personally enjoy doing it. Not something I'm looking to go into as a career, but to pick up a few bucks here and there its definitely not bad work.

Seperate question now. Anybody know how being a caddy is? I live in a fairly (not unbelievably, but fairly) affluent area and there's a bunch of country clubs around me. Just wondering how the money is and stuff like that, as well as how easy it is to do. I'm considering trying to get a job at a course nearby this summer.

-black
05-09-2007, 02:34 PM
whats Lowes?

derza222
05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
whats Lowes?

Hardware store.

-black
05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
yeah, i def need to find a 2nd job. Hardware store huh, what kind of hours/pay do they offer (yeah I kno i can google it but im aksin for first hand experience here) and what is the type of work? sounds interesting