PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the BUcs draft?

Bucs4242
05-09-2007, 05:23 PM
1) DE Gaines Adams, Clemson (other notable DEs- Simeon Rice, Kevin Carter)

2a) LG Arron Sears, Tennessee (other notable Gs- Davin Joseph, Anthony Davis)

2b) SS Sabby Piscitelli, Oregon State (Jermaine Phillips, Will Allen, Tanard Jackson)

3) MLB/OLB Quincy Black, New Mexico (Derrick Brooks, Cato June, Barret Ruud, Ryan Nece, Jamie Winborn, Adam Heyward)

4) FS Tanard Jackson, Syracuse (Jermaine Phillips, Will Allen, Sabby Piscitelli

5) DT Greg Peterson, North Carolina Central D2 (Chris Hovan, Kevin Carter, Ellis Wyms)

6) OLB Adam Heyward, Portland State 1AA (Derrick Brooks, Cato June, Ryan Nece, Jamie Winborn, Quincy Black)

7a) RT Chris Denman, Fresno State (Jeremy Trueblood, Anthony Davis)

7b) CB Marcus Hamilton, Virginia (Brian Kelly, Ronde Barber, Phillip Buchanon, Alan Zemeitis)

7c) RB Kenneth Darby, Alabama (Caddilac Williams, Michael Pittman, Earnest Graham, Mike Alstott, BJ Askew)

Go_Eagles77
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Why isn't Jackson playing CB for you guys? I always thought he could make a great cover 2 corner.

-black
05-09-2007, 05:26 PM
ehh, its growing on me

-black
05-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Why isn't Jackson playing CB for you guys? I always thought he could make a great cover 2 corner.

because we have alot of depth at CB

Ronde, Kelly, P. Buchanon, A. Zematis (4th rounder last year), S. Davis, T. Cox

yet have zero depth at FS. Plus we have starting caliber CB's and Will Allen is a below average starting S

Phrost
05-09-2007, 05:28 PM

Too slow? I have heard he would just make a better corner in the Tampa 2.

Bucs4242
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I liked Jackson a lot, and I thought if we did draft him he would be a CB. However with our style of the Tampa-2, and his tackling skills in space and knowledge of zone coverages I think he will make a good safety.

Last year we drafted Alan Zemeites out of Penn State in the 4th round who was a very similar player as Tanard Jackson. We decided Zemeitis would be a CB.

I think it couldve gone either way with either guy, but like Black said we have better young depth at CB than we had 1 year ago when we drafted Zemeitis

Go_Eagles77
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
because we have alot of depth at CB

Ronde, Kelly, P. Buchanon, A. Zematis (4th rounder last year), S. Davis, T. Cox

yet have zero depth at FS. Plus we have starting caliber CB's and Will Allen is a below average starting S

That makes sense... I was hoping the eagles would draft him in the 3rd round, I love his versatility.

Phrost
05-09-2007, 05:39 PM
That makes sense... I was hoping the eagles would draft him in the 3rd round, I love his versatility.

Unfortuantly for Jackson, he will probably end up like Alan Zemaitis. Not getting any playing time and will be off the squad in a year or two.

-black
05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
i doubt it, I think Tanard will be starting by the end of the year

Phrost
05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
i doubt it, I think Tanard will be starting by the end of the year

I sure hope so, I wanna see some youth injected.

Who Dey
05-10-2007, 05:38 AM
I like their draft. Not only did they get talented guys but they got versatile guys who could project to a number of positions. Gaines Adams could play DE or OLB. Sears could play Guard or Tackle. Jackson can play CB or S. Black could play inside or outside.

stl9erfan
05-10-2007, 05:55 AM
I liked it. I thought it was about time Gruden put some effort into restocking the D, but he managed to grab a solid guard like Sears in round two to continue the OL makeover at the same time. A very nice crop all around, though Piscitelli makes me nervous (I've just never been a huge fan of his).

Caddy
05-10-2007, 06:37 AM
I like their draft. Not only did they get talented guys but they got versatile guys who could project to a number of positions. Gaines Adams could play DE or OLB. Sears could play Guard or Tackle. Jackson can play CB or S. Black could play inside or outside.

Gaines and Sears cannot and will not play Linebacker or Tackle in the pros.

Merlin
05-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Gaines and Sears cannot and will not play Linebacker or Tackle in the pros.I think Gaines has the athletic ability to play OLB, though he'll never do it for the Bucs due to our scheme, how-ever we will see him drop into coverage from his DE position as he did at Clemson.

As for Sears, I think he'll be a servicable back-up at RT at least, his versatility is one of his strong points IMO.

Merlin
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Unfortuantly for Jackson, he will probably end up like Alan Zemaitis. Not getting any playing time and will be off the squad in a year or two.
Please explain?

-black
05-10-2007, 08:34 AM

you are wrong, Sears DOES have the ability to play tackle, and would if need be.

TRJ997
05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I really like the Buc's draft despite the obvious disappointment of missing out on CJ.

I've heard some speculation that Monte will implement some 3-4 this year, which makes sense based on our personnell (deep LB crew, better NT's than UT's), so I could see some rare instances where Adams lines up at OLB. That said, I agree that Adams was brought to TB to be a DE 99% of the time.

GiantRutgersFan
05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I didnt like the Gaines Adams pick in the first round. He's not a guy worthy of #4 overall imo.

They should have taken Landry at #4, then made a package to move up and get Brady Quinn.

2b, 3, and 4 were very good picks though (although Piscatelli was kind of high). The Aaron Sears selection was ok, but not great by any means.

Bucs4242
05-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Ignorance at it's finest

Anyone who knows anything baout the Tampa 2, knows that DBs dont jump in and start right away. Ronde Barber, a 3rd round pick out of Virginia never saw the field his rookie year. Brian Kelly a 2nd round pick out of USC, looked awful his first 2-3 years learning this scheme. Dexter Jackson, Will Allen, Jermaine Phillips, Donnie Abraham, John Lynch are a few more mid round picks who needed a year or 2 to develop in this system

In fact there has never been a DB under Monte Kiffin that has a) been drafted in the 1st round and b) played much/well in their rookie year. Yet we have had one of the best secondarys in the NFL the past 10 years

Bucs4242
05-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I didnt like the Gaines Adams pick in the first round. He's not a guy worthy of #4 overall imo.

They should have taken Landry at #4, then made a package to move up and get Brady Quinn.

2b, 3, and 4 were very good picks though (although Piscatelli was kind of high). The Aaron Sears selection was ok, but not great by any means.

Thanks for the input, but I couldnt disagree more.

I do think Adams was worth the #4 pick, although he wasnt my 1st or 2nd choice. I watch a lot of ACC ball being a FSU fan and was thoroughly impressed with him the past 2 years. He's no Julius Peppers or even MArio WIlliams but he is worth a top 5 pick.

Laron Landry is vastly overrated. I wouldve puked if we drafted Landry. I wont even talk about the fact that drafting a safety in the top 10 is about as useless as using that pick on a Guard or Center, but I bet you Brandon Meriweather is a better pro than him. I hate Miami, but Meriweather has all my respect.

DWhitner20
05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
I liked your draft a lot with the exception of the Piscitelli pick.

irishbucsfan
05-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't see what some people's problem is with the Piscitelli pick. From everything I've seen he's a big, fast, athletic guy who excels at the most important thing a defence has to do: get the ball back. He also seems to have fantastic character and is going to one of the best defensive coaching staffs in the league who will be able to hone his natural ability. Unless something goes horrifically wrong I see him being a real leader on the team in the future.

etk
05-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Ignorance at it's finest

Anyone who knows anything baout the Tampa 2, knows that DBs dont jump in and start right away. Ronde Barber, a 3rd round pick out of Virginia never saw the field his rookie year.

Ronde was brutally horrible as a rookie. He was so bad in training camp that the coaches wanted to cut him but stuck with him because he was a Day One pick. You have to be pretty ignorant if you've given up on Zemaitis already.

-black
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Ronde was brutally horrible as a rookie. He was so bad in training camp that the coaches wanted to cut him but stuck with him because he was a Day One pick. You have to be pretty ignorant if you've given up on Zemaitis already.

do you know this first hand or have read up on it? lol

etk
05-10-2007, 02:13 PM
do you know this first hand or have read up on it? lol

It was in a book called "The Draft" (recommended read). They interviewed Rich McKay and it was McKay's decision to keep Barber on the roster even though he was Dungy's pick. Dungy made us draft him and then wanted to cut him right away but McKay wouldn't let him, lol.

-black
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
hmm...sounds like an interesting book. Love when our newer fans actually read up and know bout the team they root for

etk
05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
hmm...sounds like an interesting book. Love when our newer fans actually read up and know bout the team they root for

It's a really cool book because they focus a lot on the Bucs post-1995 and Rich McKay as well as the 2005 draft class. I learnt a lot about "war rooms" and the draft process from a team's perspective.