PDA

View Full Version : Next years draft?

America
05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Anybody have a wishlist? I'm gonna be honest and assume we have a top 16 pick, most likely around this years pick, maybe even a little better. Here are some scenario's.

Top 5 pick - I hope not but it's possible.
Darren McFadden - absolute beast who would dominate in our system.
Jake Long - Extremely well balanced T, but I don't know if he can play LT in the pro's. He's incredibly anyways.
Sam Baker - Finally a stud LT. USC Junior is what we wanted Tony Boselli to be.
Callais Campbell - Yes I know, that's 5 straight years Dline in the 1st. But imagine it. Campbell - Okoye - Weaver - Williams.
Kenny Phillips - One of my favorite players in the draft regardless of position, an absolute beast in every facet of the game. Plus we need a cover safety badly.

5-15 range.
Paul Oliver - I'm hoping Bennett can become a starter, but if not, Oliver is a beast.
DeSean Jackson - Big time playmaker who we need across Johnson.
Antoine Cason - See Oliver.
Glenn Dorsey - same as Campbell.
Glenn Dorsey - see Campbell.

cunningham06
05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Haha this is really early, I like the idea of Jake Long, but I'm fine with Spencer at LT, Long would be good for us at RT.

McFadden would be amazing.

Daonly
05-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Offense:mcfadden

Defense: hawaiian looking LB from Usc.. Forgot his name.. Just plain sick... I rather have him over everybody else in the draft.

America
05-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Offense:mcfadden

Defense: hawaiian looking LB from Usc.. Forgot his name.. Just plain sick... I rather have him over everybody else in the draft.

Rey Magula or whatever his name is. About 6'2+ and 245-255 pounds. He plays middle, and Demeco will always be better.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
long and baker are overrated and aren't worthy of being picked anywhere in the top 15, which, unfortunately, is where we will be picking...the only tackle i want next year is gaither...

other than that, we still need a playmaking safety, so phillips would be nice...maualuga would be sick, as would laurinaitis...both play mike, but i would honestly take both of them over demeco, then move him to will and play either barber or clark at sam...

America
05-09-2007, 11:20 PM
long and baker are overrated and aren't worthy of being picked anywhere in the top 15, which, unfortunately, is where we will be picking...the only tackle i want next year is gaither...

other than that, we still need a playmaking safety, so phillips would be nice...maualuga would be sick, as would laurinaitis...both play mike, but i would honestly take both of them over demeco, then move him to will and play either barber or clark at sam...

Demeco is amazing. He's already proven and knows the defense. We don't ever need to move him, he makes the calls and is the leader of the D.

cunningham06
05-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Anyway maualuga and laurinaitis sound like diseases, who wants that? Demeco is amazing, he will never be moved.

VY10
05-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Anyway maualuga and laurinaitis sound like diseases, who wants that? Demeco is amazing, he will never be moved.

very true. If we bring in a guy whose name I can't say and move Demeco I am going to be pissed.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
very true. If we bring in a guy whose name I can't say and move Demeco I am going to be pissed.

demeco could easily transition to WLB, thus allowing us to get rid of greenwood and moving us further away from the casserly era of overpaid, underproducing players...other than that, i do say let demeco stay at MLB...

the way i see it, going into next off-season, we will need, in no order, RB, WR, OC, SLB, CB, and FS...still a lot of holes, but we should be able to take the BPA next year in the first, like we did this year...iirc, we have a nice amount of cap room next off-season too...

we're still two seasons away, by my estimation...

jayceheathman
06-04-2007, 04:24 AM

I really hope you are joking. Why would you move a player that has already proven himself at the position?

Back to the topic of drafting....I would love to see Calais Cambell. That would be a sick DL. 6'6 Mario Williams on one side and a 6'8 Cambell on the other. Our offense would still suck but that would be a scary DL full of potential. I would also love to see Kenny Phillips be picked too because Dunta cant do it all by himself. C.C and Earl are nothing special either. I think Brandon Mitchell will start over them early in the year. I think if we went offense I would rather go DeSean Jackson. McFadden would be sweet but I think having Andre Johnson in single coverage would help out more. Jackson could also help in KR just in case Mathis gets injured again. None of the LT's have ever impressed me much. They both seem like good RT's but its not worth a high pick if they cant play the left. Next years draft class is looking like one of the best in awhile.

VY10
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
A LT, S, RB, WR, in that order depending on how things go this season and what moves we make in the off-season before the draft.

Billingsley26
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
A LT, S, RB, WR, in that order depending on how things go this season and what moves we make in the off-season before the draft.

I think that dependin on where we pick, my top pick changes. If it is in the top 3 I would have to go with McFadden. Take a load of off Schaub, and I think the OL can get better with Kubiak and his staff, I dont mind the OL right now, and I think they could surprise some peole this year. If it in the 4-10 ranger I would go with Calais Campbell or Long/Baker. Campbell would finish off one of the best looking DL in the league with HUGE upside. Long and Baker speak for themselves, but I would almost wait and see how our T's play this year. Winston and Spencer, see how they do with anotehr year under their belts. Thats how I would look at it right now.

jayceheathman
06-04-2007, 02:21 PM
I think that dependin on where we pick, my top pick changes. If it is in the top 3 I would have to go with McFadden. Take a load of off Schaub, and I think the OL can get better with Kubiak and his staff, I dont mind the OL right now, and I think they could surprise some peole this year. If it in the 4-10 ranger I would go with Calais Campbell or Long/Baker. Campbell would finish off one of the best looking DL in the league with HUGE upside. Long and Baker speak for themselves, but I would almost wait and see how our T's play this year. Winston and Spencer, see how they do with anotehr year under their belts. Thats how I would look at it right now.

I hope if we pick in the top 3 and McFadden is still there that we get a good trade offer and trade back a few picks. I think if McFadden is on the board then there will be pretty good offers to choose from. Then choose between Kenny Phillips, DeSean Jackson, Mario Maningham, Calais Cambell, or Glenn Dorsey. If we go defense again then we could have the potential to match up with the Colts offense.

simms2clayton
06-13-2007, 01:48 AM
You all are going to have to address WR #2 at some point if you want to compete.

Desean Jackson, Mario Manningham, Early Doucet, and Adarius Bowman would all be great round 1 picks.

VY10
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
We don't have a second round pick right? That is really a shame because we could probably grab a good receiver in the second.

jayceheathman
06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
We don't have a second round pick right? That is really a shame because we could probably grab a good receiver in the second.

Thats correct. I think we are going to have one more season of having a high pick and then in 2008-2009 I think we will be able to compete for the playoffs. I still would love to see Calaias Cambell in a Texans jersey if he keeps up what he started as a sophomore.

marks01234
06-28-2007, 07:01 PM
How about Barry Richardson with the 22nd pick? Or maybe Justin King @ 19.

Gchu83
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Offense Top 5 Pick: Darren McFadden
Offense Top 15 Pick: Desean Jackson or OT (Long, Baker, Hills Jr.)

Defense: Kenny Phillips

jayceheathman
07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Offense Top 5 Pick: Darren McFadden
Offense Top 15 Pick: Desean Jackson or OT (Long, Baker, Hills Jr.)

Defense: Kenny Phillips

I would love to see any of those players on our team except one of the OT's. It just doesnt look like a strong year for left tackles. Out of the players you named, our biggest need is by far Kenny Phillips. Our secondary is horrible. I still think we should finish what we started and pick a DL for the 5th straight year with either Dorsey or Cambell. Babin and Johnson suck and hopefully everyone knows it.

Oh yeah, I thought it was funny when I picked up Dupont Registry and Jason Babin's massive Excursion is in there and he is selling it for like $65,000

VY10
07-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't take babin's excursion for free because it would probably suck like him

America
07-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't take babin's excursion for free because it would probably suck like him

Sadly Babin was our sack leader last year. How were we so bad.

VY10
07-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Sadly Babin was our sack leader last year. How were we so bad.

Damn you Casserly!

America
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Anyone read the article on Jacoby Jones this mornin in the paper?

VY10
07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I did. I really like him a lot more now after reading it, especially the part about him wearing his saints uniform to church. I hope that he will be able to progress as quickly in the Pros as he was in college.

HorusKing
08-31-2007, 03:23 AM
First I don't think that Houston will be picking in the top 10. I would like to see Houston draft a running back in the first round because Ahman Green is too injury prone or maybe a Safety.

1st RD. Steve Slaton - RB West Virginia

big daddy russ
09-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Let's bring this topic back up now that we have a game under our belts.

IMO, we still need to address the line. That's been our biggest need since the Garfield administration.

Needs:
1. OT
2. S (but maybe Boulware steps up and we don't have to worry about this)
3. RB
4. CB (will Bennett step up? Will Faggins prove that he deserves to be a starter in the NFL? Fletcher's a great nickel, but will he ever be anything else?)

On that note, here's my wish list:
1. Sam Baker, OT (I've said it several times--- I'm anything but a draft guru. But I read somewhere that Baker's a better pass-blocker while Long's more of a mauler, so I'll go with Baker.)
2. Jake Long, OT (See above)
3. Darren McFadden, RB
4. Gosder Cherilus, OT
5. Kenny Phillips, S

jayceheathman
09-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Let's bring this topic back up now that we have a game under our belts.

IMO, we still need to address the line. That's been our biggest need since the Garfield administration.

Needs:
1. OT
2. S (but maybe Boulware steps up and we don't have to worry about this)
3. RB
4. CB (will Bennett step up? Will Faggins prove that he deserves to be a starter in the NFL? Fletcher's a great nickel, but will he ever be anything else?)

On that note, here's my wish list:
1. Sam Baker, OT (I've said it several times--- I'm anything but a draft guru. But I read somewhere that Baker's a better pass-blocker while Long's more of a mauler, so I'll go with Baker.)
2. Jake Long, OT (See above)
3. Darren McFadden, RB
4. Gosder Cherilus, OT
5. Kenny Phillips, S

My wish list would be

1. Kenny Phillips
2. Tommy Blake
3. Calais Cambell
4. Glen Dorsey
5. DeSean Jackson
6. Darren McFadden
7. Baker/Long

I really want to a see a DL of Mario Williams, Omobi Okoye, and Tommy Blake. That would be awesome. I'm a big Tommy Blake fan now after that UT game. He went up against a great OL and did pretty well. The play that made me a believer was when Jamaal Charles was running full speed near the goal line and Tommy Blake was standing there and caught Charles and then dropped him on his ass....By the way, thats a sweet sig.

HorusKing
09-30-2007, 04:26 AM
My Wish list.

1. Steve Slaton - RB
2. Desean Jackson - WR
3. Terrell Thomas - CB
4. Kenny Phillips - S
5. James Davis - RB

RedLionAle
10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Wishlist-
1. D. McFadden RB ARK
2. J. Long OT MICH
3. S. Baker OT USC
4. K. Phillips S MIA
5. M. Jenkins CB OSU

That's the top 5, there are some others like Stewart and Jackson who'd be nice, but any of those top 5 would make me VERY happy.

America
10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
We clearly need a CB, S, and RB. I think Kubes can manage without another premier receiver. Schaub had a solid game without Dre and Jones. We need a good running game though. AKA a really explosive back so Ron Dayne doesn't have to play. But our pass defense hasn't been anywhere close to go since Glenn left. There are a bunch of solid mid-late 1st round corners in the draft. A Safety would be sweet too, but Kenny Phillips is the only really great one. The rest are rather unproven as of now.

energizerbunny
10-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd like a RB, maybe Stewart or Slaton. It also wouldn't hurt to add a playmaker to the secondary.

Billingsley26
10-03-2007, 08:13 PM
To be honest, Im not a fan of him but i think that Steve Slaton could do very well in Houston. I think a shiftier back like Slation would do better. I remember back to when Dominick Davis had that good year, and I think Slaton could do well to.

pswizz
10-05-2007, 03:33 AM
I think Slaton could do good anywhere. But I have fallen in love with McFadden. With the style of runner he is he would fit right into our zone blocking scheme. Something Bush definitely would have had trouble with!

Wolf123
10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Steve slaton will not be an impact running back at the next level. Just doesn't have the size to succeed. Ray Rice really impressed me against southern florida.

jayceheathman
10-21-2007, 11:14 PM
The way we have been playing any player will help us big. Injuries are killing us so its hard to see what we would need most. I'm still not on any of the OT's bandwagon so I hope we still dont go that way. DeSean Jackson, McFadden, Dorsey, Campbell, Phillips, Malcolm Jenkins, and Dan Connor would be good picks that I wouldnt mind being on the team.

Texas Homer
11-24-2007, 07:42 PM
trade down our top pick for a lower 1st and a 2nd rnder..and draft Reggie Smith and Alex Boone if available with your top 2 picks.

Use your 3rd rnd. pick on a RB
4th rnd. OL Tony Hills if available
5th rnd Saftey

BattleRedToneh
11-25-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm loving the trade down scenerio myself. If we are picking in the 10-15 range, why not trade with someone like Dallas who has that second 1st rounder from Cleveland I believe it is..and maybe get a second if we swap 4th's or somehting to equal the value? Would we even need to obtain that 2nd rounder? I'm really digging Mendenhall and Rice right now, so a move down to the 20-25 area would be fine by me. As long one of those can be had. With our newly acquired 2nd, we could take a look at Chris Williams at LT. I'd also like a C somewheres in the 3rd-5th round range to groom behind McKinney. I like D. Rodgers-Cromartie in the 4th too, he'd help patch up that secondary of ours.

Texas Homer
11-26-2007, 11:15 PM
You could prob. get C Dallas Griffin from Texas undrafted.

pswizz
11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Here's my wishlist-
1. RB- Darren McFadden, James Stewart, Steve Slaton
2. DB- Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith
3. WR- Desean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly
4. OT- Jake Long, Sam Baker
5. DE- Calais Campbell, Tommy Blake, Quentin Jones, Chris Long

I don't think we need to go o-line this year like we have needed to every other year. The line has seemed to come together rather nicely and it is allowing Schaub time to throw the ball. Carr just had a problem with holding onto the ball too long. I think what we need major help at safety, but with not much available there if we don't get Phillips I think we need to add another playmaker on offense. Andre Johnson proved this week that he is not always going to be open and we need someone to help keep double teams away from him, whether that be with another WR or by adding a legit running threat. We are scaring nobody with our ground game.

Texas Homer
11-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I still think we need a Tackle. Mayber A. Boone, K.Barton, or maybe Tony Hills later on in the draft.

jayceheathman
12-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Here's my wishlist-
1. RB- Darren McFadden, James Stewart, Steve Slaton
2. DB- Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith
3. WR- Desean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly
4. OT- Jake Long, Sam Baker
5. DE- Calais Campbell, Tommy Blake, Quentin Jones, Chris Long

I don't think we need to go o-line this year like we have needed to every other year. The line has seemed to come together rather nicely and it is allowing Schaub time to throw the ball. Carr just had a problem with holding onto the ball too long. I think what we need major help at safety, but with not much available there if we don't get Phillips I think we need to add another playmaker on offense. Andre Johnson proved this week that he is not always going to be open and we need someone to help keep double teams away from him, whether that be with another WR or by adding a legit running threat. We are scaring nobody with our ground game.

Honestly, it doesnt matter who we pick because anyone would help this team out. Right now I am kind of liking the idea of trading down, maybe getting a 2nd rounder back, and getting Vernon Gholston. I know, another DL but this kid seems special. A DL of Mario, Okoye, and Gholston would be awesome. If Kenny Phillips is around he might be too good to pass up though.....For the record, its Jonathan Stewart and not "James."

brat316
12-03-2007, 03:53 AM
First I don't think that Houston will be picking in the top 10. I would like to see Houston draft a running back in the first round because Ahman Green is too injury prone or maybe a Safety.

1st RD. Steve Slaton - RB West Virginia

Do you really see Steve Slaton as a every down back

jayceheathman
12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Do you really see Steve Slaton as a every down back

I dont think he is. We need a RB but unless we lose out we "might" have a chance at DMac. We dont have the picks to trade up either. The last few games I havent been convinced on Jonathan Stewart. He hasnt had great games without Dennis Dixon in there.

Texas Homer
12-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Our needs:
S
CB
RB
OLB
OG
OT
DE

I hope we pick Jonathan Stewart or Kenny Phillips.

comahan
12-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Our needs:
S
CB
RB
OLB
OG
OT
DE

I hope we pick Jonathan Stewart or Kenny Phillips.

Im on the Mendenhall bandwagon. If we cant get Kenny Phillips, I want Mendenhall.

jayceheathman
01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Im on the Mendenhall bandwagon. If we cant get Kenny Phillips, I want Mendenhall.

I am now too. After yesterday, he was about the only bright spot Illinois had against a great USC defense. In a perfect draft we would some how trade back in the first round after we get Mendenhall and get Clady. It wont happen since we dont have enough fire power to get back in but I will keep dreaming.

Yung Flippa
01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
My Big Board:
1) Reshard Mendenhall
2) Kenny Phillips
3) Ryan Clady or any other OT

America
01-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Jamaal Charles.

pswizz
01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
In my perfect world, we would trade up into the draft and nab the playmaker we need at halfback in Darren McFadden. However that won't happen. I think that right now we can be competitive for another year with our halfback situation so I think that we should go secondary. However with the lack of great first round playmakers I think we might be best suited taking another pass rusher or possibly outside linebacker. I feel like our offensive line significantly got better this year simply because our quarterbacks get rid of the ball. I think if we can't get a huge playmaker on offense we need to help solidify our defense. I think we are one great safety away from that. But another pass rusher and/or OLB we could become one of the best defenses in the league within the next year or 2.