PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Eagles Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

eaglesalltheway
01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
McNabb's rating was influenced by 5-7 drops by WR's, but I also trust BBD's analysis. He is always insightful and honest about it. If he says McNabb missed chances, then I give him credit. I feel like the game was a lot further apart than the final score. For sure. The Eagles were 20 points better than the Giants on Sunday, IMO.

I definitely repsect BBD's opinion, he is honest exactly like you say. McNabb started out horrible, but once they had that two minute drive at the end of the half, he improved a lot and was a little more consistent.

I find it funny how we as Eagles fans say that Reid and McNabb aren't good in clutch situations, but the Eagles were the #2 team scoring within 2 minutes of the end of the first half. Sure it isn't a crunch situation like the end of the game or the Superbowl, but there is added pressure on the offense in that time range.

gameplaya2435
01-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Has anyone else joined the team in the beard? I haven't shaved in over a month and its nice going outside in 20 degree weather and having a warm face.

I say any Eagles fan capable of growing a beard should do so, keep the mojo going!

Also on the beard topic, in recent weeks I have noticed that Kevin Curtis looks like Jesus even moreso than normal.

I'm on the beard-wagon, haven't shaved since Thanksgiving (Cardinals win!). Hopefully I won't be shaving again until February ;)

eaglesalltheway
01-14-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm on the beard-wagon, haven't shaved since Thanksgiving (Cardinals win!). Hopefully I won't be shaving again until February ;)

I had shaved on Thanksgiving, before I knew about the team doing the beards, and it just really never got done since then, so I figure I'll roll with it, plus it keeps my face nice and warm!

bsaza2358
01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I would like to be on the beard bandwagon, but I'm trying to look professional at work in a very tight job market, and I'm going on interviews just in case, so I have to be clean-shaven. While I'd love to show solidarity, my financial well-being is a tad more important right now.

eaglesalltheway
01-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I would like to be on the beard bandwagon, but I'm trying to look professional at work in a very tight job market, and I'm going on interviews just in case, so I have to be clean-shaven. While I'd love to show solidarity, my financial well-being is a tad more important right now.

Undersrandable, we'll have to substitute though... I'd say grow a mullet, lol.

Zyro_1014
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Undersrandable, we'll have to substitute though... I'd say grow a mullet, lol.

thatd be sick! we all grew mullets last year for out state title run in baseball lol.

we looked ridiculous by the way.

camp_eagles
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Just grow a stache

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-14-2009, 05:16 PM
What was the eagles away record this year? and how are they when they travel to the west??

bsaza2358
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
What was the eagles away record this year? and how are they when they travel to the west??

If only there was a place where information was readily available to anyone who was looking for it. They could search data banks and find this information, then analyze and post it for people to see, view, and comment on. Too bad such an interface doesn't exist in this world... :rolleyes:

Go_Eagles77
01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I suck at growing facial hair too, it grows in patches and I can't pull it off at all.

bsaza2358
01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I can do it, but I really can't. I look like a rat in a 'stache, and I can't do the full beard. To compensate, I'm not shaving my crotch. haha

cunningham06
01-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I can do it, but I really can't. I look like a rat in a 'stache, and I can't do the full beard. To compensate, I'm not shaving my crotch. haha

And I hope you weren't anyway...

twista6002
01-16-2009, 01:03 AM
I got my playoff beard growing. First day of class for me is Tuesday so if the Eagles win I'm going to be going to class looking like a complete vagrant :eek:

Zyro_1014
01-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I got my playoff beard growing. First day of class for me is Tuesday so if the Eagles win I'm going to be going to class looking like a complete vagrant :eek:

thats great man! hopefully it happens!

bsaza2358
01-16-2009, 09:41 AM
And I hope you weren't anyway...

That's what we call a "joke" in the business world... haha

eaglesalltheway
01-16-2009, 09:54 AM

I've got a buddy who must have so much testoterone or some sort of chemical imbalance that he has had to shave once in the morning and once at night since he was 16. He literally had no hair on his face until then, but in a matter of a week he went from baby's ass to a bear's ass. He's an Eagles fan, and hasn't shaved since the second week of December, if he were heavier, he'd look like Paul Bunyan. I've got another friend allergic to gluten. My friends are ****** up.

twista6002
01-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Note to self: never visit Emmaus ;)

camp_eagles
01-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Im a disgrace to all Italians I cant grow facial hair to save my life.

twista6002
01-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Im a disgrace to all Italians I cant grow facial hair to save my life.

To be an exceptional Italian I thought you just had to be able to grow hair on your back.

Go_Eagles77
01-18-2009, 06:13 PM
The season's over. Heartbreaking loss, it's gonna be a tough couple of months.

Zyro_1014
01-18-2009, 06:15 PM
The season's over. Heartbreaking loss, it's gonna be a tough couple of months.

:( i guess we can look forward to the draft.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 07:41 AM
So it's pretty clear that LJ Smith won't be back. Between him being a UFA and Celek being awesome, I believe it's safe to say we won't have to deal with his **** anymore.

Is tight end a first round need? I don't see anyone meriting a first round grade at the TE spot. Do we go OT with the first two picks?

bigbluedefense
01-19-2009, 08:10 AM
So it's pretty clear that LJ Smith won't be back. Between him being a UFA and Celek being awesome, I believe it's safe to say we won't have to deal with his **** anymore.

Is tight end a first round need? I don't see anyone meriting a first round grade at the TE spot. Do we go OT with the first two picks?

Have to go OT. Its a great year to grab one, and you have 2 FA OTs that are aging.

OT and WR should be your 2 first round picks. Or trade for Boldin/Edwards by trading a 1st and 2nd. Then draft OT with the other 1st.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20090118/SPORTS02/901180368

Like Owens then, Lito Sheppard entered the 2008 season unhappy about his contract and his role. His starting job had been handed to Asante Samuel in the offseason.

Now, he rarely sees the field. He's a two-time Pro Bowl cornerback and he hasn't played a single defensive snap in the postseason.

He's hurting. But unlike Owens, Sheppard is keeping the agony bottled up inside.

"It's been hard, man," Sheppard, an Eagles since they drafted him in 2002 who started the 2005 Super Bowl, said recently.

"Truthfully, if I hadn't been around these guys as long as I have been,things would probably be a little different."

One of his best friends is right cornerback Sheldon Brown. Sheppard also has the utmost respect for safety Brian Dawkins, a 13-year veteran whose chances to win a Super Bowl dwindle each season.

How could he cause scenes in the locker room and still look his best friends in the eyes?

"Not to say Dawk was the reason why I'm handling this the way I'm handling it, but when you think about the team and think about what's more important, he (does) creep into your mind as one of those guys (that makes me say), "OK, well, maybe I will chill out.' "

And that's what separates Sheppard from Owens. Sheppard has been the consummate professional.

"You don't want to bring any attention to yourself, as far as being selfish," he said, "because you know the guys have been playing well, one of the top (defenses) in the league and we're winning. But at the same time, it still hurts."

Sniper
01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Have to go OT. Its a great year to grab one, and you have 2 FA OTs that are aging.

OT and WR should be your 2 first round picks. Or trade for Boldin/Edwards by trading a 1st and 2nd. Then draft OT with the other 1st.

With Michael Crabtree out of the picture, who should they look at in terms of the draft for WR? Heyward-Bey? Maclin? Kenny Britt?

I'm mad at you, BBD. You jinxed the Eagles! :(

bigbluedefense
01-19-2009, 08:14 AM
With Michael Crabtree out of the picture, who should they look at in terms of the draft for WR? Heyward-Bey? Maclin? Kenny Britt?

Haha. mission accomplished! :p j/p

I don't know much about the other WRs, but im a big Kenny Britt fan. I think Britt would be a nice compliment to Jackson. Especially in a WCO.

Gotta draft a power back in the 2nd round too imo.

Go_Eagles77
01-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I think DHB would be a great additon if he's there at 22 and no big OTs are there.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
If the Eagles don't re-sign Dawkins this off-season, I'm going to be so ******* pissed. Even if he's not what he used to be, (he's not, but he's changed his game from a roving safety to a more traditional strong safety and done it well) he deserves another contract. The man's left tons of money on the table for the Eagles in the past, and now it's time to pay him back. Give him a 2 year deal and that's the end of that. The guy's poured his heart into the city of Philadelphia and now it's time to do right by him.

Go_Eagles77
01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Agree 1000%, he's still playing at a very high level, he's one of the best leaders in the league, he's been here his whole career, he won't ask for a ton of money, it should be a no-brainer.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I never understood why the Eagles never moved him to SS and made him play rover a long time ago. He's still a beast in that role. Great blitzer and tackler and run stuffer.

Having that said, the Eagles are cheap, and never reward veterans like that, so i think his time is up. Youre set at safety though with Mikell and Demps.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I never understood why the Eagles never moved him to SS and made him play rover a long time ago. He's still a beast in that role. Great blitzer and tackler and run stuffer.

Because his range as a FS was so damn good.

Having that said, the Eagles are cheap, and never reward veterans like that, so i think his time is up. Youre set at safety though with Mikell and Demps.

This is Brian Dawkins. I really think they're going to give him a deal. Word has it Dawkins is Jeffrey Lurie's favorite player, and after the year he had, Dawkins should get a deal.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Because his range as a FS was so damn good.

This is Brian Dawkins. I really think they're going to give him a deal. Word has it Dawkins is Jeffrey Lurie's favorite player, and after the year he had, Dawkins should get a deal.

By long time ago, I meant the past 2/3 years when he was losing his range.

I don't know. Ive heard similar things about Hugh Douglass and Jeremiah Trotter. I just don't see the Eagles as the type of organization that will reward him. They are ruthless when it comes to veteran players.

Zyro_1014
01-19-2009, 01:59 PM

i would love to get DHB at 22 if he is there.

Maybe go after Boldin?

Sniper
01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
i would love to get DHB at 22 if he is there.

Maybe go after Boldin?

What do you give up for Boldin? Furthermore, I think Joe Banner was the one who, earlier this year, said that "we don't consider [Boldin] an elite receiver in the NFL".

Speaking of Banner, ESPN's scroller quoted him as saying Reid and McNabb will be back next year.

Philadelphia Eagles: Super Bowl 44 Champions, bitches.

Zyro_1014
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
What do you give up for Boldin? Furthermore, I think Joe Banner was the one who, earlier this year, said that "we don't consider [Boldin] an elite receiver in the NFL".

Speaking of Banner, ESPN's scroller quoted him as saying Reid and McNabb will be back next year.

Philadelphia Eagles: Super Bowl 44 Champions, bitches.

yeah idk, what we would have to give up for him. It just seems like Boldin may very well be on his way out of Zona, and he would be a great guy to have.

But like i said i wouldnt be dissapointed at all with a guy like DHB.

twista6002
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
There are rumors Boldin is on his way out of Arizona. If the price is right, I'd pull the trigger.

eaglesalltheway
01-21-2009, 07:04 AM

We'll grab at least one Ol in the first two rounds IMO. With S and TE needs diminishing, maybe we go RB with our other first. I'm hoping Beanie Wells would be available, but uhh, yeah, about that.

Probably not.

Once again, the Eagles are going into a draft where they can do almost anything.

I do think Pettigrew merits a first round grade, and as I said in other threads, wouldn't be against him as a pick, but Celek has really shown a lot over the past two months.

eaglesalltheway
01-21-2009, 07:40 AM
I really think Dawk will be back, at least for one more year, but no more than two.

Also on a completely different note. I was at a friends house (not the wherewolf) and i called the Eagles entire second half. I said, "This is whats going to happen, the Eagels are going to come back like fire, take the lead, and dash our dreams with 4 minutes to go."

I was off by about a minute, but thats exactly what happened. My friend now officially thinks I am a football god. He is a Florida fan, and I called Tebow's jump pass to win it, so I said to him, "Next year the Eagles will win the Superbowl, you heard it here first." So hopefully my powers will take affect and Superbowl 44 will be the Eagles' first Superbowl win.

bsaza2358
01-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Okay, some commentary on Sunday's game now that I've had a few days to kind of decompress and analyze it. I'm still really mad that we got outplayed and lost, but I'm okay with it because they deserved to lose.

1. Mistakes. 12-14 missed tackles, 5-7 dropped passed (4 by Baskett alone), misthrows and misreads by McNabb that could have been huge plays, the Abiamiri near-disaster with the kickoff that we got lucky on, 7 penalties, including the Demps cheap shot that gave the Cards their FG, 1 missed FG, 1 missed XP, 1 failed 2 pt. That wouldn't win a game against most teams.

2. Players who just didn't show up: The aforementioned Baskett, Stuart Bradley was invisible, Akeem Jordan got outclassed.

3. Defensive coaching: Johnson got flat out crushed in the first half, then on that last drive, his team couldn't stop the Cards at all. Haley out-called Johnson for about 55% of the game.

4. Reffing: Demps should have been ejected for the late hit on Warner. The refs botched 2 PI calls that should have gone the Eagles way. The Cards should have gotten the ball after the Abiamiri debacle. The refs let the teams play, but they did miss some huge calls, and it wasn't really consistent.

Overall, the Eagles didn't deserve to win.

ryan0022
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
There are rumors Boldin is on his way out of Arizona. If the price is right, I'd pull the trigger.

I'd rather make a play for Houshmanzadeh as a FA then have to trade a high pick and a player away for Boldin, I'm not sure he's really been the same since that hit he took this year.

eaglesalltheway
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Okay, some commentary on Sunday's game now that I've had a few days to kind of decompress and analyze it. I'm still really mad that we got outplayed and lost, but I'm okay with it because they deserved to lose.

1. Mistakes. 12-14 missed tackles, 5-7 dropped passed (4 by Baskett alone), misthrows and misreads by McNabb that could have been huge plays, the Abiamiri near-disaster with the kickoff that we got lucky on, 7 penalties, including the Demps cheap shot that gave the Cards their FG, 1 missed FG, 1 missed XP, 1 failed 2 pt. That wouldn't win a game against most teams.

2. Players who just didn't show up: The aforementioned Baskett, Stuart Bradley was invisible, Akeem Jordan got outclassed.

3. Defensive coaching: Johnson got flat out crushed in the first half, then on that last drive, his team couldn't stop the Cards at all. Haley out-called Johnson for about 55% of the game.

4. Reffing: Demps should have been ejected for the late hit on Warner. The refs botched 2 PI calls that should have gone the Eagles way. The Cards should have gotten the ball after the Abiamiri debacle. The refs let the teams play, but they did miss some huge calls, and it wasn't really consistent.

Overall, the Eagles didn't deserve to win.

There are a bunch of things that lead to us losing. You touched on them all mostly, but i agree that the team didn't deserve to win that game. If they would have though, I would have the whole idea of destiney in my head.

eaglesalltheway
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd rather make a play for Houshmanzadeh as a FA then have to trade a high pick and a player away for Boldin, I'm not sure he's really been the same since that hit he took this year.

Over 1,000 yards and 11 TDs is him if he isn't his normal self. I'd take that any year. He is fine mentally from my perspective. In our system, as the number one WR, and fully recovered, those numbers can only go up. I agree with you though on the fact that Housh would be a good idea. I really don't know which one I'd prefer though. Housh will come cheaper, but isn't as good or young as Boldin, if they do go after either, I'll be fine with it.

camp_eagles
01-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Over 1,000 yards and 11 TDs is him if he isn't his normal self. I'd take that any year. He is fine mentally from my perspective. In our system, as the number one WR, and fully recovered, those numbers can only go up. I agree with you though on the fact that Housh would be a good idea. I really don't know which one I'd prefer though. Housh will come cheaper, but isn't as good or young as Boldin, if they do go after either, I'll be fine with it.

Dont forget he missed 4 games and put up those numbers. I would take him in a heartbeat

Zyro_1014
01-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Dont forget he missed 4 games and put up those numbers. I would take him in a heartbeat

yeah, i could go with either....but i would do many things to get Boldin.

twista6002
01-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Boldin is twice the receiver Housh is.

camp_eagles
01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I want Boldin just as badly as sniper DOESNT want us to draft Derrick Williams.

Sniper
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM

That's a whole lot of wanting.

eaglesalltheway
01-22-2009, 06:17 AM

For some reason that struck me as the most hilarious thing I've heard in the past few days...

Zyro_1014
01-22-2009, 03:23 PM
For some reason that struck me as the most hilarious thing I've heard in the past few days...

because all of us know exactly how much sniper doesnt want williams lol.

eaglesalltheway
01-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Correl Bukchalter has said that he is looking for an opportunity to start heading into the offseason, where he becomes a UDFA. He has averaged 4.9 ypc and has shown he is a weapon in many ways, but is this enough for a team to give him a shot as a starter?

My bet is no, especially with his injury history. He and his agent may think it is realistic, but I highly doubt any teams will give him that shot. So what I am asking is this, will the Eagles be able to bring Bucky back for next season, if they choose they want him back? Or will another team give him a shot at a starting role? I think not, but what are the chances he signs with another team to be a backup? I think if he is going to be a bakcup, he would prefer to stay here, but then the team would have to want him back.

Sniper
01-23-2009, 07:09 AM
I can't see any team giving a 30 year old back with a really bad injury history a chance to start. I think he'll be back.

eaglesalltheway
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Thats how I feel, I'm just wondering where he is getting the idea that he will be a starter.

twista6002
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Correl Bukchalter has said that he is looking for an opportunity to start heading into the offseason, where he becomes a UDFA. He has averaged 4.9 ypc and has shown he is a weapon in many ways, but is this enough for a team to give him a shot as a starter?

My bet is no, especially with his injury history. He and his agent may think it is realistic, but I highly doubt any teams will give him that shot. So what I am asking is this, will the Eagles be able to bring Bucky back for next season, if they choose they want him back? Or will another team give him a shot at a starting role? I think not, but what are the chances he signs with another team to be a backup? I think if he is going to be a bakcup, he would prefer to stay here, but then the team would have to want him back.

Buckhalter is an undrafted free agent? :confused:

brat316
01-23-2009, 05:01 PM
i don't think he i going to stay here, even when Westy is injured they don't let him touch the ball. Last year i believe westy injured, Buck is running the ball good in the first half and then second half hes not allowed to touch the ball.

At least as a back up with another team he can at least hope to see some carries.

In other thoughts do you guys see the eagles going after a Lb in the draft Eagles checked some out. Also maybe we can finally get rid of Gocong.

eaglesalltheway
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Buckhalter is an undrafted free agent? :confused:
Whoops, I must have been thinking too quickly for my fingers. Unrestricted is what I meant, as I'm sure you know...

eaglesalltheway
01-24-2009, 07:10 PM
i don't think he i going to stay here, even when Westy is injured they don't let him touch the ball. Last year i believe westy injured, Buck is running the ball good in the first half and then second half hes not allowed to touch the ball.

At least as a back up with another team he can at least hope to see some carries.

In other thoughts do you guys see the eagles going after a Lb in the draft Eagles checked some out. Also maybe we can finally get rid of Gocong.

I don't see why everyone beats up on Gocong. In the last two plus months, he has had one bad game, the last one, and every player on defense had a bad game. He clogs the run the best of all our LBs, except maybe Bradley, but that is really close. He is improving in coverage, albeit marginally, but there is a noticable difference in his coverage ability since the beginning of the season, that is undeniable. He has done nothing but improve his entire career, in every aspect of his play. He clogs up running plays on a consistent basis, on many occasions making great, athletic plays. His value is as a run stopper, but he is improving in coverage and as a rusher. I don't think the team will give up on him yet, and I don't think they should either. The only way I see LB being addressed is either as depth, or competition for those of you that aren't a fan of Gocong, or if a big name falls into our laps, and even then I think that might not be enough. Thats just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

twista6002
01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
If you look at the way he's improved from his first game to today there's no way we should give up on Gocong.

eaglesalltheway
01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
If you look at the way he's improved from his first game to today there's no way we should give up on Gocong.

Thank you, I know some people are beginning to realize this, but some people are hell bent on bashing him. They say he sucks in coverage. OK, he isn't the best in coverage by any means, he is mediocre right now. I'll admit that, but the Gocong bashers need to admit that he was atrocious in coverage last season, and has made a big improvement there, and when you combine that with the fact that he is nearly an impenetrable force in the running game, he is definitley worth keeping as a starter, because if he continues to improve the way he has, he is going to be a very good SLB. And if he can continue to develop his pass rush, watch out, he will surprise some people.

bsaza2358
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Given what we had at SLB and in run defense after Carlos Emmons left in 2004ish (not 100% sure on the year), I'll take Gocong's coverage liabilities in exchange for his overall capabilities rushing and playing the run. He is also still young, very smart, and he has the capacity to improve. I'm fine with him there for 2009-2010. If he's not getting better across the board, find someone else to replace him or challenge him.

Sniper
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
What happens with Omar Gaither next year? I still think the best possible starting LB corps would be Bradley at SAM, Gaither at MIKE and Jordan at WILL. He didn't seem to be playing badly when he got benched. Word going around was that he got benched for turning down an extension.

Go_Eagles77
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I like Gaither a lot in an Ike Reese kinda role where he can back up all 3 spots and play STs. I don't know if he wants to be in that role though.

bsaza2358
01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
The Eagles aren't going to spite a player over contract issues if they're not backing it up on the field. This isn't a TO situation. If he rejected the extension and wasn't playing well, then fine. I doubt it was 100% contract focused.

eaglesalltheway
01-27-2009, 06:16 AM
What happens with Omar Gaither next year? I still think the best possible starting LB corps would be Bradley at SAM, Gaither at MIKE and Jordan at WILL. He didn't seem to be playing badly when he got benched. Word going around was that he got benched for turning down an extension.

Him and Jordan will battle it out. It'll be a tough competition if you ask me, Gaither Might win it back, but if what you say about the reason for his benching is true, I doubt the team would want to have him there.

twista6002
01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Unless Gaither craps gold in TC and preseason, Jordan is the starter as far as I'm concerned.

cunningham06
01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
I prefer Jordan at WILL, he's the most athletic of our linebackers and just needs reps to improve his technique.

eaglesalltheway
01-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Which is a big part of the reason I think he will get the job...

bsaza2358
01-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Jordan earned the job during the season. He has to be the fave, but Gaither will get a chance at all 3 spots. He will push the other 3. Reid loves competition. It makes people work harder in the offseason and in camp. I'm fine with whomever earns the job at any position. No one goes unchallenged in camp.

giantsfan
01-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you, I know some people are beginning to realize this, but some people are hell bent on bashing him. They say he sucks in coverage. OK, he isn't the best in coverage by any means, he is mediocre right now. I'll admit that, but the Gocong bashers need to admit that he was atrocious in coverage last season, and has made a big improvement there, and when you combine that with the fact that he is nearly an impenetrable force in the running game, he is definitley worth keeping as a starter, because if he continues to improve the way he has, he is going to be a very good SLB. And if he can continue to develop his pass rush, watch out, he will surprise some people.

Honestly I'd like to have Gocong here in new york if he walks and we don't sign Dansby, Leroy Hill or Michael Boley. Would let us keep kiwi at DE and Goff at MIKE which he'll be playing in a year or two when AP's done.

eaglesalltheway
01-28-2009, 05:19 PM
See Eagles' fans, there are a lot of fans of other teams that would like Gocong on their team, why don't you? lol

Sniper
01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
See Eagles' fans, there are a lot of fans of other teams that would like Gocong on their team, why don't you? lol

Gocong is serviceable. He's very good against the run, but he's atrocious in coverage. He just doesn't have awareness for it and it pisses me off to watch him try to cover.

twista6002
01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Gocong got better in coverage as the season progressed. Keep in mind he never played linebacker before 2007. And Bradley isn't exactly an ace in coverage he deserves lots of the blame for tight ends scorching us. Bradley was starting for the 1st time this season too. They'll both be day and night better next year.

Sniper
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Gocong got better in coverage as the season progressed. Keep in mind he never played linebacker before 2007. And Bradley isn't exactly an ace in coverage he deserves lots of the blame for tight ends scorching us.

Bradley is still better in all facets of the game except pass-rushing.

eaglesalltheway
01-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Gocong got better in coverage as the season progressed. Keep in mind he never played linebacker before 2007. And Bradley isn't exactly an ace in coverage he deserves lots of the blame for tight ends scorching us. Bradley was starting for the 1st time this season too. They'll both be day and night better next year.

Thats what I've been trying to say. Both (but for the sake of the argument, Gocong) have done nothing but make steady progress since they came here. Gocong underwent a position change that many people thought would be impossible. He ahs become an excellent run stuffer, and is improving on his pass rush. The same c an be said for hsi coverage abilities. At the beginning of the 07 season, he was about as useful as the yard markers when it came to coverage. Now, he is at least in position to pressure the receiver into a drop, or make the tackle right after the catch. He gets burnt a few times, but think about who has burnt him. Greg Olsen made him look silly in the Bears game this year, but why was he put on that island? I think someone else may have blown a coverage on that play as well. Jason Witten was productive against him, but Jason Witten is productive against anyone, especially LBs. As long as both continue to develop, there will be very few holes in our LB corp.

ryan0022
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
So anyone think there is a chance that the Eagles make a play for TJ Houshmanzadeh? I think he would be a great addition to the team and have a WR corps of Houshmanzadeh, Jackson, Curtis, Avant and Baskett woudl be pretty damn good...

I really don't think he wants to stay in Cincy as he undoubtedly wants to play for a winner and I beleive is getting sick of the drama with Chad Johnson...

I just really don't want the Ealgs to go after Boldin and have to trade away picks/players to get him (if he's even available) I just don't think he's worth it. Don't get me wrong he's a great receiver but is he that much better then TJ who you woudl only have to give up money for?

Thoughts?

Zyro_1014
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
So anyone think there is a chance that the Eagles make a play for TJ Houshmanzadeh? I think he would be a great addition to the team and have a WR corps of Houshmanzadeh, Jackson, Curtis, Avant and Baskett woudl be pretty damn good...

I really don't think he wants to stay in Cincy as he undoubtedly wants to play for a winner and I beleive is getting sick of the drama with Chad Johnson...

I just really don't want the Ealgs to go after Boldin and have to trade away picks/players to get him (if he's even available) I just don't think he's worth it. Don't get me wrong he's a great receiver but is he that much better then TJ who you woudl only have to give up money for?

Thoughts?

yes, i think he is that much better. Boldin would be a much better number 1 target than TJ would be.

ryan0022
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
yes, i think he is that much better. Boldin would be a much better number 1 target than TJ would be.

Cool.. can you elaborate on that? I mean just becaseu you think he's that much better doesn't mean he is.

TJ wouldn't cost and picks or players to get... he's 31 so he's a little older (Boldin is 28 I beleive) but still shows he can be an top receiver, he had 91 receptions for 900+ yards for a backup QB on a bad team. I think with McNabb throwing him the ball he'll only be better and put up more yards and TD's.

I don't think a 1 and a 3 will be enough for Boldin and I don't think he's worth that when you can get a guy like TJ in via FA... look what the cowboys had to give up for Roy Williams, Boldin will probably demand more then what they gave up. Plus the cards have him signed for cheap so they are going to try to take advantage of that.

obviously this all stand on the fact that they will actually be able to sign TJ which I realize is not a given....

Todd Bertuzzi
01-29-2009, 05:24 PM
You know it doesn't necessarily have to be picks straight up for Boldin....

Zyro_1014
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Cool.. can you elaborate on that? I mean just becaseu you think he's that much better doesn't mean he is.

TJ wouldn't cost and picks or players to get... he's 31 so he's a little older (Boldin is 28 I beleive) but still shows he can be an top receiver, he had 91 receptions for 900+ yards for a backup QB on a bad team.

he also had Ocho Cinco, drawing double teams that took a hell of alot of pressure off of him. Boldin has proved that he can be a number 1 because he did it before Fitz was there. Boldin can stretch the field alot more than TJ can, hes much faster, and he can be alot more physical.

ryan0022
01-30-2009, 09:19 AM
You know it doesn't necessarily have to be picks straight up for Boldin....

what else would it be... you think they'll take Lito for him??? Obviously I am aware of that fact but I'm just being realistic. If they are going to get rid of him, which I doubt they will, they are goign to want pick or young players....

eaglesalltheway
01-30-2009, 02:16 PM

Agreed, and he is worth that 1st and third, for example, maybe even more...

eaglesalltheway
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
The Eagles signed a DT, Amon Gordon, off waivers from the Titans yesterday. He's got good size at 6'2 305, but hasn't really found a home on any team, the Eagles are his 5th team in as many seasons. Probably a Training camp guy, but was signed to a three year contract.

They also signed two CFL defensive players. Charleston Hughes is a LB from the Calgary Stampeeders who is 6'1 and 244 lbs. He had 5 sacks for the stampeeders this last season. The other player is Byron Parker, a 5'11 193 lb Safety from the Toronto Argonauts. Parker has been in the CFL for 4 years, but in his last three seasons has 18 INTs, and 6 were returned for TDs. Both were signed to 3 year contracts as well.

That is pretty much all I know about these guys, as this is what I got from my newspaper this morning. Theyre probably all just training camp bodies, but I don't know enough about any of them to know for sure.

Sniper
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/Houshmandzadeh_intrigued_by_Eagles.html

"Did you watch the Eagles and the Bengals game during the season? I was just giving Andy Reid, I was giving him an interview in person," Houshmandzadeh said. "That's all I was doing. I was giving him a three-month interview ahead of time. That's all."

"If the Eagles are interested in me, let's put it like this. If they'll be interested in me, I'll be interested in them," he said when asked if the Eagles would be his top choice.

So.......

Eaglez.Fan
02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Alright, I signed up for the eagles GM in the off-season mock. I'd like some help. Todd Bertuzzi will come on board I know for sure. If anyone wants to participate shoot me a PM. The more people the better.

Todd Bertuzzi
02-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Alright, I signed up for the eagles GM in the off-season mock. I'd like some help. Todd Bertuzzi will come on board I know for sure. If anyone wants to participate shoot me a PM. The more people the better.

Any help is appreciated.

eaglesalltheway
02-06-2009, 06:32 AM
I PMed EF and I'll help out as well.

eaglesalltheway
02-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Not really sure where else to put this, but with doing the research for Jason Brown in the Mock Off-season, I fell in love...

I already knew Brown was a monster for the Ravens, but digging deeper into his past I found things that I just love about him. He is smart, super athletic, and very, very strong. Not to mention his versatility. He can play any interior O-line position because of his skill set. Not only has he played Center for the Ravens, but started at LG and was even recruited as a RT for North Carolina. He is balanced, but not in the normal sense. He is elite in both categories, running and passing, and is really, really quick, and would be able to devastate as a blocker downfield on screens. With his versatility our OL can do numerous things in the coming seasons if he were to sign here. He can play LG due to his athletecism and great technique, but play RG because he is a mauler and straight up monster road grater. We already know he is a beast as a Center. And then I found out how much work he does for charities and funds and all things of the like. Since he has been in the NFL in 2005, he has been involved in around 50 charities or funds or benefits. That rivals what Dawk does and would garner immediate respect fropm the rest of the team. He is a leader as well, having experience there as well/ Oh the possibilities...

Go_Eagles77
02-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree, and would not be surprised if the eagles go after him hard in the offseason, he is a no-brainer for the eagles FO imo. Hopefully between Suggs and Lewis the ravens don't try to retain Brown.

camp_eagles
02-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I know nothing about Jason except what you guys just posted and I'm sold. Hes got good size 6-3 320lbs. (thats my contribution to this conversation.) Im going guess that if we decide to go after him that we will bid the most on him so I hope he doesn't pull a LeCharles Bentley and go for the home town discount. Karma's a ***** eh LeCharles

eaglesalltheway
02-13-2009, 09:50 PM
I know nothing about Jason except what you guys just posted and I'm sold. Hes got good size 6-3 320lbs. (thats my contribution to this conversation.) Im going guess that if we decide to go after him that we will bid the most on him so I hope he doesn't pull a LeCharles Bentley and go for the home town discount. Karma's a ***** eh LeCharles

Heading into the season I couldn't have said who Jason Brown played for. I began hearing about him in week 4, and realy started pating attention to him after the Eagles game (week 11ish) and after looking into him with this Mock off-season I was amazed. Google his name and Baltimore Ravens (kind of a common name) and about the fourth or fifth one down there is a page that can take you to his list of charities and all that. Its got to be 50 separate occasions where he has done something to help, if not more.

Sniper
02-15-2009, 10:48 PM
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/021209_Eagles_Pass_On_Receivers_For_McNabb

Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert tells Fox 29 the team likely won't be adding a free agent receiver to Donovan McNabb's arsenal.

Heckert sat down with Anthony Gargano for an extensive interview on Thursday about the team's plans.

"It's an easy out for everyone to say we need a wide receiver but we did get one - DeSean Jackson," Heckert said. Jackson was a second-round pick last season.

Heckert believes Jackson is a prime threat at wide receiver and receivers won't be an issue for the team during the free agent season.

FAN-*******-TASTIC. Continue to ignore your needs, asshole.

eaglesalltheway
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Oh boy, this is going to be great...

If they think there is a realistic shot at gettin a WR threat that will help the team, I'm sure they'll at least explore the possibilities.

Actually, maybe this is just posturing for the Boldin Trade, haha? Seriously though maybe. They just might be trying to drive prices down a bit for the trade or FAs, who knows...

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM

I'm willing to help as well, but I don't want any responsibilities.

Buttered toast sonic
02-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh boy, this is going to be great...

If they think there is a realistic shot at gettin a WR threat that will help the team, I'm sure they'll at least explore the possibilities.

Actually, maybe this is just posturing for the Boldin Trade, haha? Seriously though maybe. They just might be trying to drive prices down a bit for the trade or FAs, who knows...

its obvious the Eagles, to me, are scared to go out and sign/trade for a big name WR, but considering the last one we got, you know, he who shall not be named but his name rhymes with larrell towens, and that headache?

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Also very possible that the team is throwing out a smoke screen. If you look at it, they had a very nice year throwing the football to their existing targets. This was with LJ sucking, Reggie Brown regressing, and with Curtis not 100% at all post hernia surgery. The team has a good amount invested in the position between Greg Lewis's deal, Reggie Brown's deal, and the Curtis contract. Are they necessarily going to invest another $10mm a year in the position when they need to restructure Donovan + look to extend guys like Bradley, Bunkley, Jordan, Sheldon Brown, DeSean, MJG, and Celek in the next 2 years? On top of that, they have to look at FA's like Dawk, Thomas, Runyan, and Buck. They may have the cap room now, but it can easily get eaten up locking up these other key guys...

broadstbullies
02-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Housh is just selling to everybody.. he'll take the most money whether it be from a team like us or San Fran.. I don't doubt he wants to win but money always wins

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
For an older veteran, this is his last big contract. He'll probably go where the $$$ is. Doubtful the Eagles will be the leading money giver in this situation.

brat316
02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
We should trade Reggie Brown, Lito for Boldin and 5...but who knows what going on with Boldin.

As for Houshmanzda, the eagles probably aren't going to pick him up untill they dump some contracts and make room for their other players first....and the 1st contract they might be most concerned with is Lito's, and most fan want to drop Reggie Brown.

eaglesalltheway
02-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Also very possible that the team is throwing out a smoke screen. If you look at it, they had a very nice year throwing the football to their existing targets. This was with LJ sucking, Reggie Brown regressing, and with Curtis not 100% at all post hernia surgery. The team has a good amount invested in the position between Greg Lewis's deal, Reggie Brown's deal, and the Curtis contract. Are they necessarily going to invest another $10mm a year in the position when they need to restructure Donovan + look to extend guys like Bradley, Bunkley, Jordan, Sheldon Brown, DeSean, MJG, and Celek in the next 2 years? On top of that, they have to look at FA's like Dawk, Thomas, Runyan, and Buck. They may have the cap room now, but it can easily get eaten up locking up these other key guys...

Thats what I said, and I agree with you it might be, and even if it isn't, its a vote of confidence for the receiving corp we have, which won't hurt anything.

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Lito's deal is not that cap unfriendly now, I'm pretty sure. Even so, his trade value is much lower than it was last year. He can't be marketed as a true Pro Bowl CB. I doubt he goes for more than a 5th rounder. Not even sure the Cards would want him at this point, especially when they have to try to pay guys like Dockett, Wilson, Dansby, and Warner.

Reggie Brown will likely be restructured at a lower rate, but I think he stays on the team. With his contract, he has zero trade value.

eaglesalltheway
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
We should trade Reggie Brown, Lito for Boldin and 5...but who knows what going on with Boldin.

As for Houshmanzda, the eagles probably aren't going to pick him up untill they dump some contracts and make room for their other players first....and the 1st contract they might be most concerned with is Lito's, and most fan want to drop Reggie Brown.

The cards won't take Reggie Brown, we may just release him anyway. Its like it was when TO wa son his way out, the team tried to trade him but everybody knew he'd hit the market soon, so they waited it out. Even if we could do that, it isn't enough value for Boldin that the Cards would do that IMO.

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Thats what I said, and I agree with you it might be, and even if it isn't, its a vote of confidence for the receiving corp we have, which won't hurt anything.

I am very comfortable with DeSean and Curtis at 1 and 2. If Celek continues to develop, and Westbrook is still there, I'm also okay with Avant in the slot and Brown working in (if his head is right). I think that Greg Lewis and Baskett have to be cut.

bsaza2358
02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
The cards won't take Reggie Brown, we may just release him anyway. Its like it was when TO wa son his way out, the team tried to trade him but everybody knew he'd hit the market soon, so they waited it out. Even if we could do that, it isn't enough value for Boldin that the Cards would do that IMO.

Reggie Brown isn't even close to TO when he was leaving Philly. There is a possibility that Brown will be back. He hasn't burned his bridges with the team and the city. That being said, with his deal and his recent production, he has almost no value to other teams.

eaglesalltheway
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Reggie Brown isn't even close to TO when he was leaving Philly. There is a possibility that Brown will be back. He hasn't burned his bridges with the team and the city. That being said, with his deal and his recent production, he has almost no value to other teams.

I mean teams will look at it the same way they did when TO was leaving, why would you trade away a pick when you could just sign him? I know Brown is nothing like TO as a player or person, and the relationship with the team seems fine.

camp_eagles
02-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Theres a rumor going around that the Eagles are shopping Winston Justice (For Who for What?) I have no idea what his value is but I would guess it is low since his only significant PT was comparable to the Hindenburg disaster.

Go_Eagles77
02-18-2009, 06:00 PM
His career has been extremely disappointing, I guess it's safe to say character concerns weren't the only reason he lasted til the 2nd round.

eaglesalltheway
02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
He has probably been the biggest dissapointment for me in recent drafts. I would have loved to get him in the first, but when we got him in the second that year I was so excited, and remeber a lot of people saying the Eagles got two first round players that year. PErsonally my expectations were very high for him, and he hasn't lived up to it. I'd say max we get is a fifth rounder.

Eaglez.Fan
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I'd be quite disappointed if he Justice was traded. He hasn't been given a shot at RT at all. His first game was at a new position and against a pro-bowl DE, although he got destroyed you can't knock him to hard for that. I think he still has potential, and probably more potential than anyone in the 5th to 7th round. I'd wait at least a year more to officially say he's useless.

eaglesalltheway
02-19-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd be quite disappointed if he Justice was traded. He hasn't been given a shot at RT at all. His first game was at a new position and against a pro-bowl DE, although he got destroyed you can't knock him to hard for that. I think he still has potential, and probably more potential than anyone in the 5th to 7th round. I'd wait at least a year more to officially say he's useless.

I would agree there. I know in the first playoff game (I think) he was in for Herremans when he was injured and out for a little bit at LG and did a great job while he was in, gave up 0 sacks and held up well in the run game. That was only one or two drives though. He also was very impressive in TC when I was there, but he still is a major disapointment, and if he were traded I wouldn't be too upset. i also would be unhappy if they kept him as I agree there is at least some potential there.

Go_Eagles77
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090220_Reid__Dawkins__Thomas_probably_get_re-signed.html

Looks like Dawk and Tra will be re-signed, great news.

Go_Eagles77
02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Eagles also locked up Joselio Hanson for 5 years, great move by the FO, he's a great nickel back for us.
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17429

eaglesalltheway
02-20-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm almost as psyched for Hanson as I am Tra and Dawk. Great, great move by the FO. At least a nickel for a good bit, this is the first time we've been able to secure a nickel for a long time.

Sniper
02-21-2009, 10:09 AM
http://philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17428

"Don't assume a first round tackle"

Smokescreen? Legit?

Second, Reid said that he had a pair of guards in Shawn Andrews and Todd Herremans who were originally drafted with the idea they would eventually slide outside.

Todd Bertuzzi
02-21-2009, 10:46 AM
So we're not going to add a free agent wide receiver and we're not drafting a first round OT.hmmm...

eaglesalltheway
02-21-2009, 09:04 PM
http://philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17428

"Don't assume a first round tackle"

Smokescreen? Legit?

If we draft one, it was a smokescreen, if we can't, don't it is showing beleif in what you already have.

Thats what the FO will say no matter how the OT situation pans out in regard to that.

gameplaya2435
02-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Draft Day will certainly be really intriguing to say the least. With potentially no need for a Tackle, the Eagles will be free to look at pretty much any position. If Pettigrew is there, or Cook continues on the tear he's been on today, Tight End could be a possibility. Maybe some youth injected at the running back position, or a solid WR for the offense.

A trade is certainly another option here, though I would prefer for a 1st Rounder for Boldin (plus what ever terms are worked out) rather than yet another "Next year's first rounder" trade or more picks in the later rounds.

eaglesalltheway
02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Draft Day will certainly be really intriguing to say the least. With potentially no need for a Tackle, the Eagles will be free to look at pretty much any position. If Pettigrew is there, or Cook continues on the tear he's been on today, Tight End could be a possibility. Maybe some youth injected at the running back position, or a solid WR for the offense.

A trade is certainly another option here, though I would prefer for a 1st Rounder for Boldin (plus what ever terms are worked out) rather than yet another "Next year's first rounder" trade or more picks in the later rounds.

Even if Tra is back, there will still be a need for OL. Maybe not necessarily Tackle with Herremans and Andrews potentially being able to play at the Tackles, but MJG and McGlynn or Cole could play the Guards. We would at least need to improve depth along the OL if all of our current depth is sliding into more pre-eminent roles.

brat316
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I think thats bull, they will still take at least 1 guard/center and 1 tackle either Beatty or that guy from Arizona in the first. Though I hope they still take a WR probably wont but i'm hoping for Hakeem Nicks.

Also Brown from UConn looks more interesting in the second round, I think they need a good back rather than a power back. Someone that can explode through the whole.

camp_eagles
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Justin Griffith was just released by Oakland as a cap causality I think he would be a great addition to the offense since he is a good receiver for a FB with 122 receptions for 871 yds and 11Tds in his 6 year career. I think its a no brainier to go after him even though I saw a lot of improvement in Klecko as the year went on but the more competition the better.

cunningham06
02-24-2009, 03:37 AM
If we got Griffith I would be so happy. In addition to being a good pass catcher, he is a phenomenal blocker. I've heard that in the running game Griffith opens up more holes than Swiss Cheese. Our offense would greatly benefit from a real fullback.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Justin Griffith was just released by Oakland as a cap causality I think he would be a great addition to the offense since he is a good receiver for a FB with 122 receptions for 871 yds and 11Tds in his 6 year career. I think its a no brainier to go after him even though I saw a lot of improvement in Klecko as the year went on but the more competition the better.

Its certainly something to consider, but the FB from Seattle, Jared (?) Weaver, would be someone the team should look into as well. for FB, he is just as good a blocker and receiver.

Go_Eagles77
02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Its certainly something to consider, but the FB from Seattle, Jared (?) Weaver, would be someone the team should look into as well. for FB, he is just as good a blocker and receiver.
Leonard Weaver, he's also a really good runner, he's my favorite FA FB and he has a lot of experience in the WCO, I really hope the eagles go after him.

eaglesalltheway
02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
As long as the Eagles get an upgrade at FB this off-season, I'll be happy, I don't care who it is, but the **** that happened last season at FB just wasn't working.

Steel4Real
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey guys, any idea what Tony Hunt up too? I wasn't even aware that he'd been cut til yesterday. That was pretty quiet. I think they ruined him when they tried to move him to FB. I'm sure a lot of you guys are from PA like me and watched him play every Saturday at PSU. He was a freakin workhorse. I honestly don't think he was a good fit for Philly. No offense at all to your Eagles but he needed to go more to a team more of the ground pound style.

bsaza2358
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Hunt got cut midseason. Might have caught on in SF or Minny, but I'm not sure. He was not a good fit. Couldn't run hard between the tackles, couldn't pass block, and was not a good run blocker as a FB.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Hey guys, any idea what Tony Hunt up too? I wasn't even aware that he'd been cut til yesterday. That was pretty quiet. I think they ruined him when they tried to move him to FB. I'm sure a lot of you guys are from PA like me and watched him play every Saturday at PSU. He was a freakin workhorse. I honestly don't think he was a good fit for Philly. No offense at all to your Eagles but he needed to go more to a team more of the ground pound style.

I loved Tony Hunt at PSU, and it was a treat watching him every Saturday. Unfortuantely i wasn't as pumped when he went to the Eagles,, as I realized he wasn't exactly a great fit. There were a bunch of other RBs that i liked a lot more for the Eagles (Michael Bush) but I thought Hunt could adapt and he would have some success, I didn't expect him to flop completely. He's a hard enough worker that someone will pick him up and he will be someoenes 3rd RB or Goal line back, he just needs to run with more authority...

Edit: I don't think anyone would take offense to anything you said. And your name is pretty awesome by the way...

Go_Eagles77
02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Tony Hunt hasn't been picked up yet, I'm not sure he ever will be. Like bsaza said, he's too slow, even for his size, he can't pound the ball, he can't pass block, he's just too soft. I was surprised, being a PSU fan as well I expected him and Westbrook to be one of the better RB duos in the league...

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Tony Hunt hasn't been picked up yet, I'm not sure he ever will be. Like bsaza said, he's too slow, even for his size, he can't pound the ball, he can't pass block, he's just too soft. I was surprised, being a PSU fan as well I expected him and Westbrook to be one of the better RB duos in the league...

As long as he stayed in shape a team will look for him next season. He seems like a smart enough guy he will be fine even if he doesn't sign somewhere though.

Splat
02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Eagles tender one-year contracts to trio (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txeaglesmoves&prov=st&type=lgns)

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Good moves, I want Baskett and Cole around for a while, especially Cole. Tank is alright, I'm cool with that, but depending on the off-season, he may not be on the team next year, but I'm fine, I'm glad that Baskett and Cole will most likely be staying put.

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Torry Holt to Philly?

http://www.insidestl.com/STLRams/tabid/137/Default.aspx

Speculation in Philadelphia has the Rams dealing Holt to the Eagles for wide receiver Reggie Brown and a draft pick. And the Rams donít need salary-cap space immediately. The cap has been increased from $123 million to $127 million, and the Rams are not expected to go for the big splash in free agency. They need too much.

Depending on what the draft pick is, that could be a solid trade for both teams. Philly is already my 2nd favorite team behind the Rams. Now there's speculation about them getting my favorite player!

Go_Eagles77
02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
If true, it better not be that high of a draft pick. I heard Holt could get cut.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Torry Holt to Philly?

http://www.insidestl.com/STLRams/tabid/137/Default.aspx

Depending on what the draft pick is, that could be a solid trade for both teams. Philly is already my 2nd favorite team behind the Rams. Now there's speculation about them getting my favorite player!

Ehh, nothing against Holt, but I hope they don't do that trade. We need guys that have more than 2 solid years in them, and I question if Hilt even has one. I love him as a person and player, but I'm not sure I'd like to see him in Philly. He deserves to retires a Ram, IMO.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
If true, it better not be that high of a draft pick. I heard Holt could get cut.

Depending on the off-season, so could Reggie :D.

brat316
02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Depending on the off-season, so could Reggie :D.

The Eagles should be getting a draft pick for having to take Holt, and then possible him getting cut by the Eagles.

I wouldn't expect anything higher than a 4th.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
If the Eagles really have 48 mil under the cap, don't expect a lot of big FA moves, We may make a trade or one or two big FA moves, but we have a lot of young players that I'm sure the team wants to re-sign. I'd bet they leave enough room to sign at least 4 or 5 of the young guys they want to keep around, and maybe as many as 8. I think Joselio Hanson is the start of those young guys that get re-signed, except some of these guys might get done with more time left on their original contracts...

brat316
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
If the Eagles really have 48 mil under the cap, don't expect a lot of big FA moves, We may make a trade or one or two big FA moves, but we have a lot of young players that I'm sure the team wants to re-sign. I'd bet they leave enough room to sign at least 4 or 5 of the young guys they want to keep around, and maybe as many as 8. I think Joselio Hanson is the start of those young guys that get re-signed, except some of these guys might get done with more time left on their original contracts...

Well we have to spend at least 107 million of the 127 million. Its some minimum contract rule. 60 % of the cap figure has to be players salaries.

Didn't Hanson get resigned for 5 years.

And if we are 48 under expect some signings to happen at least 1 big FA move, and another smaller one. After a few of their own get signed.

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 04:29 PM
The Eagles should be getting a draft pick for having to take Holt, and then possible him getting cut by the Eagles.

I wouldn't expect anything higher than a 4th.

Holt still can be a very good receiver in this league. Bad Quarterback play, atrocious Offensive Line play, and dumb play-calling had a lot to do with Holt's statistics last season.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Well we have to spend at least 107 million of the 127 million. Its some minimum contract rule. 60 % of the cap figure has to be players salaries.

Didn't Hanson get resigned for 5 years.

And if we are 48 under expect some signings to happen at least 1 big FA move, and another smaller one. After a few of their own get signed.

Yea I am aware of that rule, I thought it was 75% though...

Yes, and 25 mil or something like that.

I think we will either have one large FA move, or a series of semi-large ones, and we will re-sign guys like Bradley, Bunk, Mikell, Celek, etc, maybe even MJG.

If the team goes with a big FA move, expect either Housh or Brown to be involved, maybe as well as some minor guys, along with Dawk and Tra. They could also go with some minor FA moves, bringing in Stacey Andrews, Leonard Weaver. There really is a lot the team can do starting in less than two hours...

brat316
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
I would love that safety from the ravens to team up with Mikel. Whats his name Leonard.

I hope brown gets moved

Todd Bertuzzi
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah I think we definitely have the best shot at landing Stacey Andrews. We have the money, we are most likely losing Runyan so we have a hole to fill at RT and his brother plays for us.

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 06:35 AM
I would love that safety from the ravens to team up with Mikel. Whats his name Leonard.

I hope brown gets moved

Jim Leonhard and Mikell have similar styles, IMO, and I think we should only get him if the Eagles plan on moving Mikell to FS. I really like him as a player, but not necessarily a good idea to bring him here.

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Yeah I think we definitely have the best shot at landing Stacey Andrews. We have the money, we are most likely losing Runyan so we have a hole to fill at RT and his brother plays for us.

I agree, i think we do as well, but I want the team to go after Jason Brown. Not only is he a young, elite interior OL, but he rivals Dawk in his work off-the field for all types of causes. He is a quality football player and an even higher quality man. Words cannot express how much I want jason Brown...

brat316
02-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I agree, i think we do as well, but I want the team to go after Jason Brown. Not only is he a young, elite interior OL, but he rivals Dawk in his work off-the field for all types of causes. He is a quality football player and an even higher quality man. Words cannot express how much I want jason Brown...

He also wants quality money, like Alen Faneca money.

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 07:10 AM
He also wants quality money, like Alen Faneca money.

He's worth it, he's young, and elite and a monster in every aspect of the game. Rumor is he's asking for at least 8 mil. Any team interested should give it to him, he is worth it.

brat316
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Eagles have picked up Andrews

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939730

eaglesfan605
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I really like the signing of Stacy Andrews for a few reasons.

1. It addresses a need at RT. Runyan was a great player for us, but he is old and a recovery from microfracture surgery isn't guaranteed.

2. It could positively affect the mental health of Shawn Andrews by playing alongside his brother.

3. He is a monster at 6' 7" and 342 lbs. Very good run and pass blocker.

4. It will allow the Eagles to address other needs through the draft. Maybe they'll bring in a 1st Round RB or WR now.

The only downside to this signing is his health. As long as he has recovered from his knee injury, I consider this a very good pickup.

cunningham06
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
The Redskins got Albert Haynesworth... **** **** *** **** ***** ******** ****!!!!

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I really like the signing of Stacy Andrews for a few reasons.

1. It addresses a need at RT. Runyan was a great player for us, but he is old and a recovery from microfracture surgery isn't guaranteed.

2. It could positively affect the mental health of Shawn Andrews by playing alongside his brother.

3. He is a monster at 6' 7" and 342 lbs. Very good run and pass blocker.

4. It will allow the Eagles to address other needs through the draft. Maybe they'll bring in a 1st Round RB or WR now.

The only downside to this signing is his health. As long as he has recovered from his knee injury, I consider this a very good pickup.

I like the signing as well, and to be honest expected it since i found out he'd be a FA, as long as he wasn't tagged. he may not be as good as Runyan was in his prime, but he should be able to come in and to a better job than Runyan has done in recent seasons as long as he is healthy. The only thing i don't like about this is this severley limits the possibility Jason Brown is signed by the Eagles, if he isn't signed somewhere else already. I'm at work and this is the first I've done to check anything, so I literally only know what happened up until about 8 this morning..

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
The Redskins got Albert Haynesworth... **** **** *** **** ***** ******** ****!!!!

I woke up to that and that was my first reaction. Then i thought about it more and realized that with him and there oither signing, they really can't do much else, plys i think Al may not play the way he has since he got his money. I don't know, I'm a little worried about it, but if he continues his calibur, then we all have reaso to be exceptionally worried.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Anyone want to give me a little info on LJ Smith? Supposedly coming to Atlanta. I didn't like what I saw in games last year.

Sniper
02-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Anyone want to give me a little info on LJ Smith? Supposedly coming to Atlanta. I didn't like what I saw in games last year.

Run for the hills, my friend. Run for the hills.

Pros

- Does a decent job of finding the holes in zone defense
- Occasionally will surprise you with a ridiculous catch

Cons

- Can't block
- Can't run routes
- Is soft
- Complains about his lack of touches
- Has awful hands
- Drops a ton of passes

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Add in to the cons: Carries the ball like he's trying to give it to the defense.

ljk2171
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Take it for what it is worth, but on the radio this morning one of the more dependable hosts said that the Eagles wanted to take a RB early in the draft this year and groom him to replace Westbrook.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Run for the hills, my friend. Run for the hills.

Pros

- Does a decent job of finding the holes in zone defense
- Occasionally will surprise you with a ridiculous catch

Cons

- Can't block
- Can't run routes
- Is soft
- Complains about his lack of touches
- Has awful hands
- Drops a ton of passes

Awesome....

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Actually, the more I think about the Andrews signing, the less I like it, and I don't even know what he's getting paid.

This forces Andrews to stay inside, which in itself is good, but it keeps guys like MJG and Nick Cole off the field, as well as Mike McGlynn possibly. May we have seen the end of Todd Herremans at LG? Possibly, especially if there is solid competition between him, MJG and Cole. We may see a big shakeup at LG and C. Perhaps MJG will be the LG and Cole will be the C next year. We already have several guys who can play RT, another isn't exactly a huge need.

Right now it might help Shawn out mentally, but sometimes working with family sucks, plain and simple. I know, speaking from personal experience here. I work in my family's business installing floors with my dad, two of his brothers, and one of his sisters. I get along with all of them well, but there are times when you are working with family that you get on eachother's nerves. I know Shawn will be dealing with that no matter who is at RT, but when its your own flesh and blood, you take it more personally when there are arguments or disagreements.

Not knowing the parameters of the contract, perhaps there is a way out for the team. (I'm sure there is because of the injury worries, actually.) But one thing I like about it is this... Shawn is around as long as his brother is, if not more, and as long as he is healthy, he is an elite Guard.

I guess I just was excited to see the young guys potentially take over in the near future, but perhaps there will still be opportunites for them, just will be a little more difficult, and perhaps one of the young guys may end up traded or have a contract expire, or be cut.

This isn't to say that I don't like it at all, because if both the brothers are healthy, the right side of the line is set for at least 3 years, if not more...

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Awesome....

He's one of those guys that was always picked to be a breakout player but never did. In the end he will leave you hoping for that breakthrough, but will leave you unsatisfied in the end...

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Brian Dawkins signed with the broncos. FML

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
!#%@%&!%@%&(*^@$$@AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. **** **** ****** ****** *** ***** $^&$^@#$.

Edit: There were a few words that didn't get *'d that would let you know what I said, so I went back and just *'d them so I don't get in trouble.

Gonna miss you Dawk, you've been a great player for us and we will miss you greatly. I'm actually sick right now...

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
UUUUUUGHHHH. I am depressed right now. So from what I can gather the team must really like Demps.

He got progressively mroe PT as the season progressed as a rookie, not very often does that happen in the Eagles defense under Jim Johnson.

I heard the Eagles would only give Dawk a one year offer, and though it shows they wanted Dawk back it also showed they wanted to get Demps on the field ASAP.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Now there are several reports saying Dawk isn't signed yet. There's still hope!

eaglesfan605
02-27-2009, 06:32 PM
If Dawkins signs with another team I will be severely dissapointed. I know that the Eagles usually get rid of players in their 30's after their contract is up. Dawkins should be the exception and not the rule. He is one of the faces of the franchise and the only player that I would be truly upset if they got rid of. Seeing Dawkins in another uniform would be not only weird but just plain ol' WRONG. They need to get him signed if he's the only other person they get in free agency.

brat316
02-27-2009, 07:11 PM
If Dawkins signs with another team I will be severely dissapointed. I know that the Eagles usually get rid of players in their 30's after their contract is up. Dawkins should be the exception and not the rule. He is one of the faces of the franchise and the only player that I would be truly upset if they got rid of. Seeing Dawkins in another uniform would be not only weird but just plain ol' WRONG. They need to get him signed if he's the only other person they get in free agency.

Hey man that's the business end of things, who though the Derrick Brooks wouldn't play for the Bucs, Marvin leaving the Colts. Brett not playing for GB.

Even with the 48 million the Eagles have been known to be a bit stingy, and sometimes it is good cap management, but come on not signing one of your long time faces of the franchise. I also think B-dawk feels like he can play and doesn't want to take a back seat role, sometimes players got to face reality.

Sometimes they don't Jerry Rice is an example, well until the Broncos made him the 4th string WR, then he retired.

brat316
02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Actually, the more I think about the Andrews signing, the less I like it, and I don't even know what he's getting paid.

This forces Andrews to stay inside, which in itself is good, but it keeps guys like MJG and Nick Cole off the field, as well as Mike McGlynn possibly. May we have seen the end of Todd Herremans at LG? Possibly, especially if there is solid competition between him, MJG and Cole. We may see a big shakeup at LG and C. Perhaps MJG will be the LG and Cole will be the C next year. We already have several guys who can play RT, another isn't exactly a huge need.

Right now it might help Shawn out mentally, but sometimes working with family sucks, plain and simple. I know, speaking from personal experience here. I work in my family's business installing floors with my dad, two of his brothers, and one of his sisters. I get along with all of them well, but there are times when you are working with family that you get on eachother's nerves. I know Shawn will be dealing with that no matter who is at RT, but when its your own flesh and blood, you take it more personally when there are arguments or disagreements.

Not knowing the parameters of the contract, perhaps there is a way out for the team. (I'm sure there is because of the injury worries, actually.) But one thing I like about it is this... Shawn is around as long as his brother is, if not more, and as long as he is healthy, he is an elite Guard.

I guess I just was excited to see the young guys potentially take over in the near future, but perhaps there will still be opportunites for them, just will be a little more difficult, and perhaps one of the young guys may end up traded or have a contract expire, or be cut.

This isn't to say that I don't like it at all, because if both the brothers are healthy, the right side of the line is set for at least 3 years, if not more...

I don't think we have seen an end to any of those players, remember the line probably needs the most depth. Last year if we didn't have MJG or Todd, what would have happened to the Eagles O-line. Another important thing to remember is some of the players can double in other positions, so you might see MJG. Stacy Andrews get injured, Shawn moves over, and MJG goes in the starting line up.

eaglesfan605
02-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey man that's the business end of things, who though the Derrick Brooks wouldn't play for the Bucs, Marvin leaving the Colts. Brett not playing for GB.

Even with the 48 million the Eagles have been known to be a bit stingy, and sometimes it is good cap management, but come on not signing one of your long time faces of the franchise. I also think B-dawk feels like he can play and doesn't want to take a back seat role, sometimes players got to face reality.

Sometimes they don't Jerry Rice is an example, well until the Broncos made him the 4th string WR, then he retired.

I understand that football is a business, but Dawk has served this franchise since 1996 with his blood, sweat, and tears. You don't throw away that kind of committment for a few million, when you are $48 million under the cap. Its literally unfathomable for me to see Dawkins with another team. I hope that he doesn't sign with Broncos, but it is looking likely that he will.

Sniper
02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
**** the Eagles. The man's given his entire career to this team, left millions on the table for the betterment of the team, is the face of the team, an emotional leader who gives his all every play, and that's how they say thanks?

**** you Eagles.

Buttered toast sonic
02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
AND on top of all that, not gonna sink money into big free agents, even when McNabb is practically begging you? use some f**king Money

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2009, 11:00 PM
The only FAs that could really help are Housh and Jason Brown, other than that they shoudl really only look for mid-level to minor signings.

Also, per ESPNews, Lito traded to jets for draft picks.

Wonder what they are... fourth and fifth maybe?

Todd Bertuzzi
02-27-2009, 11:06 PM

I think we should get rid of Jackson and start Cole at center.

And if these Dawkins rumors are true I will be speechless.

eaglesfan605
02-28-2009, 12:40 AM
The only FAs that could really help are Housh and Jason Brown, other than that they shoudl really only look for mid-level to minor signings.

Also, per ESPNews, Lito traded to jets for draft picks.

Wonder what they are... fourth and fifth maybe?

I agree with signing only mid to lower level players. I still think that they should sign Tra. It would allow them to have no need to draft an OT in the first round and focus on drafting a WR, TE, or RB with their 2 first rounders.

Lito was traded for a 5th rounder this year and a conditional pick for 2010 worth anywhere from a 2nd round to 4th round pick.

I think we should get rid of Jackson and start Cole at center.

And if these Dawkins rumors are true I will be speechless.

I'm not sure about getting rid of Jackson, but I do think Nick Cole has more potential and should get every opportunity to start next year.

Sadly the Dawkins rumors are likely true and I couldn't agree more. Seeing him in another uniform will hurt.

eaglesalltheway
02-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I say we keep Jackson, because we know he would be at least a solid backup, but I think there will be a competition at C in TC, and if not, I will be upset.

I haven't heard anything, so I am only inferring here, but I think Dawk got ahold of the Eagles and let them match the Broncos original offer. (the 2 year one.) I think the team must have matched it, and then Dawk went back to Denver and told them the Eagles matched it. My guess is the Broncos went ape **** and offered him that 5/17 mil contract.

Canadian_draft_fan
02-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Condolences on losing Dawkins, gents. It just won't seem right to see him not in an Eagles uniform. As a Skins fan fan I certainly won't miss him.

eaglesalltheway
02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Its so weird hearing NFC East opponents fans talking about this. Dawk is one of the people that everyone realizes is a first class person, and I bet there are even some Skins, Giants, Cowboys fans that will miss him, though not necessarily on the fireld, haha.

Eaglez.Fan
02-28-2009, 04:59 PM
This is ******* bull ****. The Eagles could have atleast offered him a 2 year 8 million dollar contract. I could understand if Dawkins slowed down this year, but he actually played better this year than last. Or if the Eagles were in salary cap issues.

I like the Andrews signing, and I heard he would either play RT (obviously) or LG. If he played LG, Herremans could kick outside. Another possibility is Stacey at RG, Shawn at LT and Herremans at RT. I know Shawn isn't the prototypical LT, but when we drafted him I'm sure he could have played LT. I don't know.

Herremans - St. Andrews - Jackson - Cole - Sh. Andrews
Thomas - Herremans - Jackson - Sh. Andrews - St. Andrews
Sh. Andrews - Cole - Jackson - St. Andrews - Herremans

Many possibilities. . .

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I think Herremans will actually be the starting LT, and Cole, MJG, and McGlynn will battle it out for LG.

eaglesalltheway
02-28-2009, 09:33 PM
This is ******* bull ****. The Eagles could have atleast offered him a 2 year 8 million dollar contract. I could understand if Dawkins slowed down this year, but he actually played better this year than last. Or if the Eagles were in salary cap issues.

I like the Andrews signing, and I heard he would either play RT (obviously) or LG. If he played LG, Herremans could kick outside. Another possibility is Stacey at RG, Shawn at LT and Herremans at RT. I know Shawn isn't the prototypical LT, but when we drafted him I'm sure he could have played LT. I don't know.

Many possibilities. . .
I don't know of any reports to confirm this but I am almost certain that the team at least matched the Broncos original offer. Why would it go from a two year offer from Denver to a 5 year offer unless the Eagles hadn't at least matched the 2 year offer? The same think happened with Bart Scott, that is confirmed though. He was rumored to be signed by the Jets early Friday, but he went back to Baltimore, they matched it, then the Jets upped the offer and grabbed him. I am at least 95% certain the same thing happened with Dawk...

eaglesalltheway
02-28-2009, 09:38 PM

Many possibilities. . .

Ehh, even though Shawn is a beast, I think his best fit is on the right side, and putting him at LT might be a stretch. If Stacey Andrews can play LG, I'd love if the future OL looks like any of these:

LT-Herremans/Draft Pick
LG-Herremans/St. Andrews/McGlynn/Cole
C-Cole/Jackson
RG-Sh. Andrews/MJG/Cole
RT-St. Andrews/ Sh. Andrews/Herremans

One more thing about the Stacey signing, know we have to specify which Andrews when we are typing, and that is added work that isn't necessary...;)

When I'm referring to the OL, ST is stacey and SH is Shawn, just to simplify things for myself...

eaglesalltheway
02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Minor News.

The Jags signed Sean Considine, so we will be addressing both FS and SS in this draft or through the remaining Free Agents.

brat316
02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
This draft is deep in Safety and Cb converting to safeties. So a good time to look for one, just might take a while for a starter to emerge. There is no clear cut awesome triangle numbers guy.

Patrick Chung and maybe Sean Smith I think are two guys the eagles may target. Hell who knows maybe even Malcolm Jenkins if he falls far enough.

Sniper
02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Minor News.

The Jags signed Sean Considine, so we will be addressing both FS and SS in this draft or through the remaining Free Agents.

Thank the ******* Lord.

eaglesalltheway
02-28-2009, 10:46 PM
This draft is deep in Safety and Cb converting to safeties. So a good time to look for one, just might take a while for a starter to emerge. There is no clear cut awesome triangle numbers guy.

Patrick Chung and maybe Sean Smith I think are two guys the eagles may target. Hell who knows maybe even Malcolm Jenkins if he falls far enough.

I really like David Bruton and Michael Hamlin. There are a lot of safeties in that late 2-early 5 round range I like...

cunningham06
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Louis Delmas all the way.

Sniper
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Louis Delmas all the way.

The Eagles already have a Pro Bowler at strong safety. It makes little sense to invest a high pick for a backup.

eaglesalltheway
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Some people will suggest that Mikell could potentially move to FS, but I personally wouldn't. He is a beast at SS and with Demps better suited as a FS, its best to keep them both where they are...

bigbluedefense
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
You guys don't need a safety.

On paper, you don't need anything on defense for that matter. Dawkins was an emotional leader more than anything else.

And Mikell was basically FS anyway. Dawkins was a beast at the end of the season when he was allowed to roam as a SS/Xbacker.

So if you want Delmas, he can easily play the role of Dawkins as rover.

Id be more concerned with losing Runyan and replacing him with an overrated Stacy Andrews, who gets much more recognition than he deserves just bc he's Shawn Andrew's brother.

And losing Buck hurts too.

brat316
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Buck doesn't hurt, Rb come dime a dozen.

eaglesalltheway
03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
You guys don't need a safety.

On paper, you don't need anything on defense for that matter. Dawkins was an emotional leader more than anything else.

And Mikell was basically FS anyway. Dawkins was a beast at the end of the season when he was allowed to roam as a SS/Xbacker.

So if you want Delmas, he can easily play the role of Dawkins as rover.

Id be more concerned with losing Runyan and replacing him with an overrated Stacy Andrews, who gets much more recognition than he deserves just bc he's Shawn Andrew's brother.

And losing Buck hurts too.

We don't need a starting safety...

Agreed, hopefully a guy loke Bradley can step in

Agreed, I understand the idea of putting him at FS, he can play it, but that would mean giving up on Demps as the FS, and I think he can do it. Thats why I want Mikell at SS.

I personally don't want Delmas, but wouldn't complain if we got him in the second round... Depending on what needs are filled.

I am a little worried about ST, but if he can kick in to LG I think that could be best for the entire team... As long as he is healthy he should at least be good.

Agreed on Buck, but it hurts how a pinch hurts. We'll get over it quickly...

cunningham06
03-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Maybe someday Demps could be a starting safety, but he is not even close to ready yet. That was made clear by how poorly he played against the Cardinals and letting his emotions get the better of him when he put Warner on the turf. I like Mikell's versatility, and Delmas could be great in the pro's so I would be happy if we took that route. Or if we pursued a player like Rashad Johnson from Alabama. And drafting another safety wouldn't be giving up on Demps, we all know how hesitant Reid is to start rookies right away, so Demps would have a bit of an edge going in. A little competition never hurt anyone...

eaglesalltheway
03-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Maybe someday Demps could be a starting safety, but he is not even close to ready yet. That was made clear by how poorly he played against the Cardinals and letting his emotions get the better of him when he put Warner on the turf. I like Mikell's versatility, and Delmas could be great in the pro's so I would be happy if we took that route. Or if we pursued a player like Rashad Johnson from Alabama. And drafting another safety wouldn't be giving up on Demps, we all know how hesitant Reid is to start rookies right away, so Demps would have a bit of an edge going in. A little competition never hurt anyone...

There is going to be competition no matter what, and this is where i think it'll be best if we take a mid-to later pick on a FS. There will be competition no matter what, and if Mikell already has the inside track, i don't want to use a first round pick on a safety who isn't going to see the field, especially when we have other pressing needs at LT, WR, TE, RB. Demps is ready to be a starter, he isn't going to be All-Pro next season, but it will be valuable time gained and will help him develop a little faster. I think the competiton would be great, but in this safety class, you can get similar calibur type players from round 2 until round 4 or 5. The value at safety is much better, for the Eagles, especially given our situation, to wait until the thrid or fourth round...

Thumper
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Ehh, even though Shawn is a beast, I think his best fit is on the right side, and putting him at LT might be a stretch. If Stacey Andrews can play LG, I'd love if the future OL looks like any of these:

LT-Herremans/Draft Pick
LG-Herremans/St. Andrews/McGlynn/Cole
C-Cole/Jackson
RG-Sh. Andrews/MJG/Cole
RT-St. Andrews/ Sh. Andrews/Herremans

One more thing about the Stacey signing, know we have to specify which Andrews when we are typing, and that is added work that isn't necessary...;)

When I'm referring to the OL, ST is stacey and SH is Shawn, just to simplify things for myself...

Actually in a press conference over the phone Shawn Andrews said this exactly:

"I really feel confident that I can. And you know whats funny? In the past few weeks that I've been working out, I've been taking sets at LT and I feel pretty strong, actually believe it or not I feel more natural putting my hand down on the left side. I don't know, but I definitely feel comfortable."

That should make things interesting and I'm sure Andy will have to consider it.

brat316
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
So Mcnabb signing a contract this year definitely not going to happen.

Unless some crazy ass draft day trades for players happen, I don't see much happening.

Thumper
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
So Mcnabb signing a contract this year definitely not going to happen.

Unless some crazy ass draft day trades for players happen, I don't see much happening.

Do you have some kind of source that none of us have?

Why would you think that? I think that the Eagles are some of the larger players on the trade market due to the fact that the Eagles have so much ammunition.

Also McNabb is not going to sign the extension? That ESPN report was all speculation.

brat316
03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Do you have some kind of source that none of us have?

Why would you think that? I think that the Eagles are some of the larger players on the trade market due to the fact that the Eagles have so much ammunition.

Also McNabb is not going to sign the extension? That ESPN report was all speculation.

So your saying McNabb never said get the team some more help?

Why would i need a source for making an assumption?
since nothing big with the eagles has happened other than loosing the face of the defense.

Thats what i meant by crazy ass trades on draft day, thats currently the only way to get good veteran players, now. Most of the better players have signed.

Thumper
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
So your saying McNabb never said get the team some more help?

Why would i need a source for making an assumption?
since nothing big with the eagles has happened other than loosing the face of the defense.

No, I'm saying McNabb probably asked for new weapons but he did not make it so that the deal hinged on that.

An assumption? Assuming is awful, you should've said IMO because you stated it as a fact and you don't know that.

Also I love Dawk as much the next guy but come on he had to leave at some point and he evolved into a SS/LB rover that was very good but it limited what the Eagles could do. Now that JJ or McDermott have Demps patrolling centerfield, they're freed up to do more. Demps has more range and coverage ability than Dawkins has at this point in his career. I think Demps is ready, he is confident and won't back down from the challenge, he is athletic enough and he learned from Dawkins and he has adopted a willingness to hit more than before, I think Demps can do well enough. But let me be clear, Demps will never be close to the level Dawkins was on in his prime.

twista6002
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Apparently the staff is really high on McGlynn I think he could start at LG next year

It should look something like
LT - Herremans/Dunlap
LG - McGlynn/Gibson/draft pick
C - Cole/Jackson
RG - Andrews/MJG
RT - Andrews/draft pick

Justice should be released as far as I'm concernced. I used to be shympathetic after his Osi debacle but then after he allowed that blocked kick against the Giants this year he lost all favor. The dude is a bust.

cunningham06
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
There is going to be competition no matter what, and this is where i think it'll be best if we take a mid-to later pick on a FS. There will be competition no matter what, and if Mikell already has the inside track, i don't want to use a first round pick on a safety who isn't going to see the field, especially when we have other pressing needs at LT, WR, TE, RB. Demps is ready to be a starter, he isn't going to be All-Pro next season, but it will be valuable time gained and will help him develop a little faster. I think the competiton would be great, but in this safety class, you can get similar calibur type players from round 2 until round 4 or 5. The value at safety is much better, for the Eagles, especially given our situation, to wait until the thrid or fourth round...

You do know that Mikell and Demps are the only two safeties currently on our roster right? Where is this competition going to come from? I'm also not sold on Delmas not being able to be a FS for us. He has good instincts and can play the run which Dawkins did quite a bit last season, but he is also good in coverage. If you don't like Delmas at FS, Rashad Johnson is a pure FS and his instincts and game knowledge are fantastic.

What makes you think Demps is ready to start now? While he had good moments this season he had plenty of bad ones, and would really benefit from a few more years of learning before being pressed into action. Word has it the Eagles don't think he's ready to start yet either:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2009/nfc030109.htm

I never said we should use a first round pick on a safety, it is a possibility that none will be taken until the second anyway. I like Delmas and Johnson, and either would be great to get in the second or third round. S is just as big of a need if not bigger than TE. Brent Celek had done well and is much more proven than Demps, and he also has a backup currently on the roster.

Also I am getting the feeling something big is in the works, the Eagles have been awfully quiet lately and have a ton of cap room....

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Actually in a press conference over the phone Shawn Andrews said this exactly:

"I really feel confident that I can. And you know whats funny? In the past few weeks that I've been working out, I've been taking sets at LT and I feel pretty strong, actually believe it or not I feel more natural putting my hand down on the left side. I don't know, but I definitely feel comfortable."

That should make things interesting and I'm sure Andy will have to consider it.

Of course AR whould consider it, considering our LT for the past 10+ years is probably gone, I'm not sure I'd like Shawn at LT more than Herremans though. Sure both can do it, but if both are playing tackle, it would be better if Herremans was at LT and Shawn at RT, its just a matter of their styles. Shawn can do it, no problem, but then that puts Herremans at RT or Stacey Andrews. If its Herremans, he doesn't get as much push in the run game as either Andrews, but he will be better in Pass Pro than Stacey.

Herremans is better suited as an LT over a RT not only because of personnel, but because he doesn't get that push in the run game, and is more of a techniciean when it comes to pass blocking. He has longer arms than Shawn, and can handle the speed rush better that he would face more often on the left side. Sure once Shawn gets ahold of them they would be done, but they could potentially get past him (Herremans too, I know) but when you look at the two guys, especailly in person, and see them and their style of play its easy to see that Herremans would have a more difficult time in the RT spot than Andrews and vice versa at LT. Sure both could do it, but it just fits better for them and the offense if Herremans is the LT and Shawn is the RT, if they both end up at Tackle spots.

Time will tell, and the draft will be a good indicator of the future plans along the OL.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Apparently the staff is really high on McGlynn I think he could start at LG next year

It should look something like
LT - Herremans/Dunlap
LG - McGlynn/Gibson/draft pick
C - Cole/Jackson
RG - Andrews/MJG
RT - Andrews/draft pick

Justice should be released as far as I'm concernced. I used to be shympathetic after his Osi debacle but then after he allowed that blocked kick against the Giants this year he lost all favor. The dude is a bust.

If the team sticks with the OL they have on the roster right now, I'd say Herremans does slide out to LT, and McGlynn and MJG will battle it out at LG. the OL situation is so fluid, but considering player strengths/weaknesses and how the personnel fits, I think the OL depth chart should look like...
LT: Herremans/Either Dunlap or draft pick for depth
LG: MJG/McGlynn/ST Battle it out between the three.
C:Cole/Jackson Another battle
RG: SH/MJG
RT:ST/Justice or draft pick if he's cut

I personally would rather have Stacey at LG, and then Shawn can slide out to RT and MJG can be the RG. I'm a big fan of MJG and want him to see the field as much as possible, I think he can be great for us. If Stacey is given the RT job, MJG and McGlynn will battle it out. I haven't seen much of McGlynn, but the coaching staff must like MJG at least a little bit more because he was active for the games this season... I know McGlynn was a rookie, but Shawn/Herremans saw time as rookies. If they like McGlynn as much as that we'd have seen more of him. Actually I think MJG even saw limited time in his rookie year.

Actually (again), Justice was active when McGlynn was not for most of the games. Maybe they liked Justice more than McGlynn during the season, because even Justice saw time late in the season for a drvie or two at LG when Herremans was hurt. (I think it was the cards game) Just speculation on my part, but it makes sense, right?

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
You do know that Mikell and Demps are the only two safeties currently on our roster right? Where is this competition going to come from? I'm also not sold on Delmas not being able to be a FS for us. He has good instincts and can play the run which Dawkins did quite a bit last season, but he is also good in coverage. If you don't like Delmas at FS, Rashad Johnson is a pure FS and his instincts and game knowledge are fantastic.

What makes you think Demps is ready to start now? While he had good moments this season he had plenty of bad ones, and would really benefit from a few more years of learning before being pressed into action. Word has it the Eagles don't think he's ready to start yet either:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2009/nfc030109.htm

I never said we should use a first round pick on a safety, it is a possibility that none will be taken until the second anyway. I like Delmas and Johnson, and either would be great to get in the second or third round. S is just as big of a need if not bigger than TE. Brent Celek had done well and is much more proven than Demps, and he also has a backup currently on the roster.

Also I am getting the feeling something big is in the works, the Eagles have been awfully quiet lately and have a ton of cap room....

Actually, Byron Parker is a S who is on our roster...;)

He won't be realistic competition though, but jeez man, you tryin' to fight or somethin'?;). I mean when the draft comes around and we select two safeties there will be competition, particularly at FS. Of course I know Demps and Mikell are the only safeties (worth mentioning) on our roster...

I personally am not a huge fan of Delmas, and if we would go Safety in the second round, I'd much rather we draft William Moore as our SS and slide Mikell over to FS, if the team really isn't as confident in Mikell as it seems they are... I don't like Rashad Johnson too much either, two guys at S I really like are David Bruton and Michael Hamlin. Hamlin is more of a SS IMO, and Bruton, though he could play either, is more of a FS. Even if its not them, guys like them are the competition I was talking about...

Why do I think Demps can start now? Many reasons actually, sure he will have his growing pains, and will have ups and downs, so did Dawk, but he can do it. He has shown he has good range in coverage and is willing to come up and make plays in the running game. In the preseason, he really looked confused, and didn't get much PT at the beginning of the season, but by the end of the season, he was the first safety to come in fi one came out or if there was a Nickel/Dime situation. He is one of the few rookies that has seen significant PT on defense, the others being Patterson, Bunk, Bradley and Gaither. The coaching staff showed confidence in him as the season went on, and I'll take their actions as some proof that they have confidence in him. Notice the wording in that PFT though. "They aren't convinced..." Never says they are sure he can't (or sure he can) but all that means is that the team is checking out possibiliites. The team wasn't convinced of a lot of players, and many of them have turned out fine (Cole, Mikell, Bradley)

TE and S are about the same need, IMO, both are needs, but there are questions because we may already have the starters on the roster. Really the only way we know how big of a need the team thinks they are is until the draft... Not I think a TE may be addressed before both S spots anyway, but I understand (from your perspective) that just because a TE is drafted first doesn't mean the team thought it was a bigger need. There will be situations besides where we draft positions that will help us figure that out...

twista6002
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd love to sign Will Heller as a 3rd tight end.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 06:29 AM
I'd love to sign Will Heller as a 3rd tight end.

I don't even know who that is, I'd rather draft a TE, who is most likely younger and has more potential...

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Thumper, what are your thoughts on Gocong? For or against? Judging by what you said in the favorite Eagles thread I think I may not be alone in my support of him...

ljk2171
03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm with you on Gocong as well. He is still learning the position and has been solid, while still improving. I really like out linebackers and defense on the whole. I'm probably one of the few that is not torn apart from the Dwakins departure as well. He was one of my favorite Eagles of all time, but when it gets to the point that you have to disguise a player within your defense, it might be time to move on.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm with you on Gocong as well. He is still learning the position and has been solid, while still improving. I really like out linebackers and defense on the whole. I'm probably one of the few that is not torn apart from the Dwakins departure as well. He was one of my favorite Eagles of all time, but when it gets to the point that you have to disguise a player within your defense, it might be time to move on.

I agree about Dawk, I really was upset that he's not around, and it ruined my night/next day when he signed. But from a pure football aspect is where i am not as dissapointed. Its his overall leadership and mentality that I love about him, along wtih his personality...

twista6002
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't even know who that is, I'd rather draft a TE, who is most likely younger and has more potential...

I didn't want to sign Heller to be a starter but rather a 3rd stringer behind Celek and Pettigrew, so we don't have to draft 2 tight ends, and have an excuse to cut Schobel.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
If we draft Pettigrew, we may just keep Schoebel, he is the most vertical threat of the three TEs. Or we could take a guy in the late rounds who could do similar things who would be cheaper. I knew you didn't mean as a starter, but since he's a FA he's probably at least 27 years old already and I'd rather have a younger guy in there who has more upside, or keep a guy who already is familiar with the offense. We saw how that worked out with Kris Wilson last year...

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Greg Lewis was Traded to the Patriots, along with one of our later round picks and a conditional pick next year as well. Saw it on ESPN can't find any details or specifics, and don't really feel like looking...

Go_Eagles77
03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Sean Jones visiting the eagles tomorrow, thank God. He better not leave without a contact.
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17506

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I would really, really like this signing...A LOT. I'm surprised he's even available, and this is a situation like Dallas had with Hamlin, getting a very good safety late into the FA process. If he is signed, I think that means Mikell is moved to FS. Do we have a confirmation that Springs was indeed signed? I know a press conference was scheduled but I don't think there has been a contract yet... I would love this signing...

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 05:03 PM
It was reported Springs was signed by the Pats... Good, they can have him, I'd like Jones and Mikell better than Mikell and Spring 100 times out of 100.

Todd Bertuzzi
03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Greg Lewis was Traded to the Patriots, along with one of our later round picks and a conditional pick next year as well. Saw it on ESPN can't find any details or specifics, and don't really feel like looking...

Lewis and our 2010 7th rounder to the Pats for this year's 5th. Works with me.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I still can't beleive we were able to get something back for him...

Thumper
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Eagles brought in Sean Jones for a visit. He is a solid safety who is a good veteran pick-up. I think he might even be competing for a starting job at SS if Mikell moves to FS.

brat316
03-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Lewis and our 2010 7th rounder to the Pats for this year's 5th. Works with me.

WOW the eagles sure worked the hell out of that deal. I wish we would have traded Reggie Brown instead, but his contract is what turns teams off.

Thumper
03-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Thumper, what are your thoughts on Gocong? For or against? Judging by what you said in the favorite Eagles thread I think I may not be alone in my support of him...

He is highly athletic and I believe he had a 40+ inch vertical at his proday and he has all the ability in the world. Also I love his ability against the run he really stood out in the playoffs and I noticed him sealing the edges off, taking on multiple blockers, cutting through the trash and making the initial hit. He will only get better because he is young and he is still making the transition from DE. I have high hopes for him. Not that good against the pass but he is improving.

twista6002
03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
If we draft Pettigrew, we may just keep Schoebel, he is the most vertical threat of the three TEs. Or we could take a guy in the late rounds who could do similar things who would be cheaper. I knew you didn't mean as a starter, but since he's a FA he's probably at least 27 years old already and I'd rather have a younger guy in there who has more upside, or keep a guy who already is familiar with the offense. We saw how that worked out with Kris Wilson last year...

After the Bears game, I don't want anything to do with Schobel. No lie, I would've cut him the very next day

twista6002
03-05-2009, 07:53 PM

I'm shocked we got anything :eek:

twista6002
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Eagles brought in Sean Jones for a visit. He is a solid safety who is a good veteran pick-up. I think he might even be competing for a starting job at SS if Mikell moves to FS.

Wow, the team must not be as confident with Demps as I thought. I really wanted to see how Demps would do by himself, because this likely means Mikell is moving over if he signs

cunningham06
03-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Sean Jones had a really good season two seasons ago. Last season was a bit of a dissapointment from him, but his run support was still good. He is definitely better than Michael Lewis in coverage, and he would benefit from having our kind of pass rush.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
He is highly athletic and I believe he had a 40+ inch vertical at his proday and he has all the ability in the world. Also I love his ability against the run he really stood out in the playoffs and I noticed him sealing the edges off, taking on multiple blockers, cutting through the trash and making the initial hit. He will only get better because he is young and he is still making the transition from DE. I have high hopes for him. Not that good against the pass but he is improving.

If only some other guys could look at Gocong the way you and I see him... He is an unfinished product that is a very good player already. Once he refines his pass coverage, or even works with it a bit, he will be a mainstay with Bradley at LB...

twista6002
03-05-2009, 09:07 PM
If only some other guys could look at Gocong the way you and I see him... He is an unfinished product that is a very good player already. Once he refines his pass coverage, or even works with it a bit, he will be a mainstay with Bradley at LB...

And Akeem Jordan should be a mainstay as well. We have better linebackers than most people give us credit for

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:08 PM
After the Bears game, I don't want anything to do with Schobel. No lie, I would've cut him the very next day

But if we would draft Pettigrew, Schoebel will never be in a situation like that again... and He is our most vertical thread of our TEs, which is valuable in its own right. If we can find a similar player late in the draft, I'm all for replacing him, but not a guy who has laready been in the league and isn't an outstanding player (to say the least) anyway.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:09 PM
And Akeem Jordan should be a mainstay as well. We have better linebackers than most people give us credit for

Agreed, I'm not sure what the coaching staff is going to do though at WILL. I think Jordan will stay and will laso make a name for himself. With these three I can imagine the days when mock drafts have literally no chance of a LB in the first few rounds... Sheer beauty!

twista6002
03-05-2009, 09:11 PM
But if we would draft Pettigrew, Schoebel will never be in a situation like that again... and He is our most vertical thread of our TEs, which is valuable in its own right. If we can find a similar player late in the draft, I'm all for replacing him, but not a guy who has laready been in the league and isn't an outstanding player (to say the least) anyway.

Celek is a better vertical threat than Schobel. And basically the way I see tight ends, he should be a great blocker, and any receiving is gravy. Nothing wrong with signing Heller and having a competition with him and Schobel for the 3rd TE spot.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Wow, the team must not be as confident with Demps as I thought. I really wanted to see how Demps would do by himself, because this likely means Mikell is moving over if he signs

Yea I know, I was under the assumption the team really liked what they saw out of him as well. I still think Mikell will be a beast at FS, and Jones is going to be a good player for the Eagles if we sign him...

twista6002
03-05-2009, 09:12 PM
They might just be thinking they'll keep Demps at KR

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Celek is a better vertical threat than Schobel. And basically the way I see tight ends, he should be a great blocker, and any receiving is gravy. Nothing wrong with signing Heller and having a competition with him and Schobel for the 3rd TE spot.

If its for competition then great, but the deal would have to be small, and his chances for success aren't that good, ala Kris Wilson last year. And Celek is not more of a vertical threat, I love him but Schoebel just has a littel bit better speed and he just splits the seam a little quicker than Celek. Celek is more of a rumbler at TE. When he makes a catch, its usually within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and no matter what, he fights for yards and is deceptively strong and hard to bring down. Celek is someone I really like, and depending on how the team sees him, TE is either a major need or only a depth need for the Eagles.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:16 PM
They might just be thinking they'll keep Demps at KR

I was thinking along those lines, they might value him too much as a return man to have him start at FS and be a returner. But there are guys that have done it. Jim Leonhard started for Baltimore last year and was a returner for them I believe. It's not like it can't be done...

twista6002
03-05-2009, 09:18 PM
If its for competition then great, but the deal would have to be small, and his chances for success aren't that good, ala Kris Wilson last year. And Celek is not more of a vertical threat, I love him but Schoebel just has a littel bit better speed and he just splits the seam a little quicker than Celek. Celek is more of a rumbler at TE. When he makes a catch, its usually within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and no matter what, he fights for yards and is deceptively strong and hard to bring down. Celek is someone I really like, and depending on how the team sees him, TE is either a major need or only a depth need for the Eagles.

I remember even saying cutting Wilson was a mistake. Turns out we could've used him after Hunt was cut, because he played FB too if my memory serves me properly.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
He wasn't a FB when you look at him. Sure he played there for the Cheifs, but if you would have seen him in person like I did, you'd realize he isn't a FB. His body type doesn't fit it, he can't lead block to save his life, and he isn't even a great receiving threat, his hands are pretty bad, which I think is the main reason he was released to be honest.

DLionALL
03-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Sean Jones signed to a one year deal. Sounds like it'll work out nicely I like it. Worst case scenario it will give Demps a nice push.

twista6002
03-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Sean Jones signed to a one year deal. Sounds like it'll work out nicely I like it. Worst case scenario it will give Demps a nice push.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3958506

A lot of people don't realize FS and SS are practically the same position in JJ's defense. I don't see how this could hurt and if Demps in deed does not play like I think he can, Jones is a fairly reliable alternative.

Sniper
03-06-2009, 04:37 PM

A lot of people don't realize FS and SS are practically the same position in JJ's defense. I don't see how this could hurt and if Demps in deed does not play like I think he can, Jones is a fairly reliable alternative.

Quintin Mikell pretty much played FS last year anyway. Once JJ realized Dawkins couldn't cover anymore, he shifted Dawkins closer to the line with great success. I think Jones can have a similar impact.

twista6002
03-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I just realized that within a 48 hour span the Cowboys were forced to release Terrell Owens and and Roy Williams, get nothing in return and eat their salary. Meanwhile, the Eagles unloaded arguably their most useless player and actually got a decent pick in return, and signed one of the more underrated players in the league for peanuts.

Life is quite good at the moment :cool:

eaglesalltheway
03-06-2009, 09:12 PM

They are very similar, but Jones is no doubt better suited to play SS for us, I think Mikell will shift over to FS, even if its only for a year until Demps developes more. If Demps continues to progress, we may see him and Mikell as the starters next season. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Demps at FS and Mikell at SS this year if Demps really proves himself... No matter what, we have a solid situyation at safety and we have the starting spots filled up.

eaglesalltheway
03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I just realized that within a 48 hour span the Cowboys were forced to release Terrell Owens and and Roy Williams, get nothing in return and eat their salary. Meanwhile, the Eagles unloaded arguably their most useless player and actually got a decent pick in return, and signed one of the more underrated players in the league for peanuts.

Life is quite good at the moment :cool:

That's nice, but they signed Igor Olshansky, and that is going to be a good signing for them, he is a very good 3-4 End...

twista6002
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
That's nice, but they signed Igor Olshansky, and that is going to be a good signing for them, he is a very good 3-4 End...

I saw that =(

But to combat an evil, I won $29.40 at the track just right now

Regardless of how hard people get for neg repping me, life is good for the twist man right now :)

twista6002
03-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I saw that only Reed and Otogwe have more picks than Jones the last 2 years of all safeties. Mikell is good for a few picks, Sheldon is an elite shut down guy, and Samuel is a playmaking machine. Add that into the fact we have a great pass rush already. It's going to be hell for quarterbacks next year. It'd be wise for other NFC East teams to shore up their lines.

Sorry I'm a little UTI right now

eaglesalltheway
03-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Picks are overrated stats, and there really is some luck involved, and I'm pretty sure most of his 14 picks came three seasons ago, which is widely regarded as his best season... No matter what our secondary is going to continue to be hell for QBs and receivers...

twista6002
03-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Picks are overrated stats, and there really is some luck involved, and I'm pretty sure most of his 14 picks came three seasons ago, which is widely regarded as his best season... No matter what our secondary is going to continue to be hell for QBs and receivers...

Since 2006 he's had 5, 4 and 4 picks the last 3 years. That's pretty even distribution. Even more impressive considering the team he's on. I don't know if he'll be that great with us, but nonetheless I'm pumped to see this team on the field.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-07-2009, 12:55 AM
you guys got sean jones?????? i really wanted him. good signing

eaglesalltheway
03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Since 2006 he's had 5, 4 and 4 picks the last 3 years. That's pretty even distribution. Even more impressive considering the team he's on. I don't know if he'll be that great with us, but nonetheless I'm pumped to see this team on the field.

That is pretty even, I was execting more of a 7-3-4 or something like that, but at least I wasn't totally off... He had the most picks in the year I expected. Still picks are overrated stats for Safeties. Its more of combining it with there passes defended, tackles, TFLs, sacks, hurries... The safeties can be judged just by one of those stats, but the compilation of them all, and that doesn't even show the whole picture...

eaglesalltheway
03-07-2009, 03:49 PM
you guys got sean jones?????? i really wanted him. good signing

I really think the Jones and Hamlin signing for the Cowboys are eerily similar...

Both very good Safeties, not elite, but very good.

Both are capable of playing either spot, but both suited best for SS.

Both lasted longer in FA than expected due to injury concerns (Jone-knee, Hamlin-head)

Both signed to one year deals to respective teams...

Hopefully Jones can have a smiliar impact for us that Hamlin did with the Cowboys...

Sniper
03-07-2009, 03:49 PM
That is pretty even, I was execting more of a 7-3-4 or something like that, but at least I wasn't totally off... He had the most picks in the year I expected. Still picks are overrated stats for Safeties. Its more of combining it with there passes defended, tackles, TFLs, sacks, hurries... The safeties can be judged just by one of those stats, but the compilation of them all, and that doesn't even show the whole picture...

His stats will probably be much better in JJ's scheme.

eaglesalltheway
03-07-2009, 03:58 PM
His stats will probably be much better in JJ's scheme.

'Tis true, however, the emphasis on INTs by twista is a bit befuddling. I was just mentioning how all those other aspects reflect, in some way, the effectiveness of the safety. And as a whole I think the stats will be better for Jones as well...

twista6002
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
'Tis true, however, the emphasis on INTs by twista is a bit befuddling. I was just mentioning how all those other aspects reflect, in some way, the effectiveness of the safety. And as a whole I think the stats will be better for Jones as well...

I was just displaying his INT to make a point. If he's in any company with Ed Reed and OJ Otogwe, he must be doing something right. He also did this on a team with no pass rush and no real other viable players on its defense. Scheme is a bit different here but having guys like Mikell, Sheldon and Asante as well as a great pass rush will only help.

Sniper
03-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I was just displaying his INT to make a point. If he's in any company with Ed Reed and OJ Otogwe, he must be doing something right. He also did this on a team with no pass rush and no real other viable players on its defense. Scheme is a bit different here but having guys like Mikell, Sheldon and Asante as well as a great pass rush will only help.

But if he's getting roasted in coverage most of the time that he's not picking off passes, he's really not helping much.

And to answer your comment, I'm definitely an Eagles fan. You just think that whoever doesn't agree with you is a troll. I can't help you with that.

twista6002
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
But if he's getting roasted in coverage most of the time that he's not picking off passes, he's really not helping much.

And to answer your comment, I'm definitely an Eagles fan. You just think that whoever doesn't agree with you is a troll. I can't help you with that.

I don't have any tape of the Browns, but I don't think he was that frequently burned. Not to say he's great in coverage, but he's doing something right if he has 14 picks in 3 years. And keep in mind he did this with no pass rush, and having Brandon McDonald and Eric Wright as his corners :eek: I know he wasn't the only guy in the Browns secondary being targeted

And disagreeing with me is fine. But to try to ridicule and hate on an Eagles fan for having differing opinions is pretty troll-esque.

Sniper
03-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't have any tape of the Browns, but I don't think he was that frequently burned. Not to say he's great in coverage, but he's doing something right if he has 14 picks in 3 years. And keep in mind he did this with no pass rush, and having Brandon McDonald and Eric Wright as his corners :eek: I know he wasn't the only guy in the Browns secondary being targeted

I never said he was frequently burned. I meant that as a hypothetical statement. He's not Roy Williams, but he's not LaRon Landry either.

And disagreeing with me is fine. But to try to ridicule and hate on an Eagles fan for having differing opinions is pretty troll-esque.

Funny, I've disagreed with numerous Eagles fans before and never been called a troll. It's not because you have different opinions. It's because your opinions make zero sense.

twista6002
03-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Funny, I've disagreed with numerous Eagles fans before and never been called a troll. It's not because you have different opinions. It's because your opinions make zero sense.

I guess thinking a running back who had 1,850 yards, a 6.0 YPC and 20 touchdowns is better than a back who had 1,197 5.8 YPC and 8 TD makes no sense.

Sniper
03-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I guess thinking a running back who had 1,850 yards, a 6.0 YPC and 20 touchdowns is better than a back who had 1,197 5.8 YPC and 8 TD makes no sense.

Because they had the exact same amount of carries and played the exact same competition, right?