PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Eagles Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Roy Williams will be a ton better this year once he knows the playbook. He has unreal hands if they can just get him the ball. TO leaving will definitely be a drawback, but their passing game will still be good with Roy Williams and Jason Witten. Their running game is no joke though with Barber and Felix Jones. Dallas's offense will be pretty good as usual I expect.

Tashard Choice is a great RB too. Roy Williams better hope he steps it up, because if not they're going to be calling for his head state-wide. Roy won't have a TO impact though, losing him will hurt them a lot, they just won't be able to replace what he did for them.

Sniper
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Roy Williams will be a ton better this year once he knows the playbook. He has unreal hands if they can just get him the ball. TO leaving will definitely be a drawback, but their passing game will still be good with Roy Williams and Jason Witten. Their running game is no joke though with Barber and Felix Jones. Dallas's offense will be pretty good as usual I expect.

I'm not sold. The numbers indicate that when T.O leaves your team, your offensive production drops a lot.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm not sold. The numbers indicate that when T.O leaves your team, your offensive production drops a lot.

The truth is there is no WR that can do what TO did for them, and he took attention off all the other receivers on that team. Witten will see more double teams than he used to, and Roy will be up against #1 CBs, as well as Austin, or whoever plays the #2 spot, will be up against someone one step better than last year. There is a big adjustment for that offense.

Sniper
05-06-2009, 08:14 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/44358592.html?cmpid=15585797

"He told me, he was like 'I get the guys to come out to Arizona for a week so we can get some things done,'" Ingram said. "He was gonna definitely make sure everything is taken care of, getting the information, where we're flying out of, everything like that. It's definitely a work in progress, and I'm definitely gonna be willing to do that anyway. Any way I can get better, especially with being around the veteran guys, just learning the whole NFL, how to be a professional athlete, how to practice and all that kind of stuff, every chance I get to be around a lot of veteran guys, I'm willing to do it so I'm definitely looking forward to it."

Cornelius Ingram to join McNabb in Arizona for some passing work. Smart kid, haha.

Sniper
05-06-2009, 08:21 AM
I never realized how homegrown the Eagles' defense is. Look at the starters...

DE- Trent Cole (pick)
DT- Mike Patterson (pick)
DT- Brodrick Bunkley (pick)
DE- Juqua Parker (FA from the Titans) OR Victor Abiamiri (pick)
SLB- Chris Gocong (pick)
MLB- Stewart Bradley (pick)
WLB- Akeem Jordan (Eagles UDFA)
CB- Asante Samuel (FA from the Patriots)
FS- Quintin Demps (pick)
SS- Quintin Mikell (Eagles UDFA)
CB- Sheldon Brown- (pick)

Pretty decent drafting, eh?

eaglesalltheway
05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/44358592.html?cmpid=15585797

Cornelius Ingram to join McNabb in Arizona for some passing work. Smart kid, haha.

He has been impressive in every aspect so far. Looks like a monster, has impressed, albeit in shorts, and is showing the proper work effort and attitude. I really think he is a steal. I've got a friend who is a real big Gators fan, and I told him that Ingram will have a better career than Harvin, and he doesn't believe me. He is in for a surprise.

eaglesalltheway
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
I never realized how homegrown the Eagles' defense is. Look at the starters...

DE- Trent Cole (pick)
DT- Mike Patterson (pick)
DT- Brodrick Bunkley (pick)
DE- Juqua Parker (FA from the Titans) OR Victor Abiamiri (pick)
SLB- Chris Gocong (pick)
MLB- Stewart Bradley (pick)
WLB- Akeem Jordan (Eagles UDFA)
CB- Asante Samuel (FA from the Patriots)
FS- Quintin Demps (pick)
SS- Quintin Mikell (Eagles UDFA)
CB- Sheldon Brown- (pick)

Pretty decent drafting, eh?

As a whole the drafting has been very good, and I've been saying it for a while, the Eagles are one of the top drafting teams in the NFL. Our interior offensive line has 3 guys we've all picked or signed as UDFAs, and all of our offensive line solid backups are draft picks or Eagles UDFAs. Celek is a draft choice, DeSean is a draft pick, Curtis is a FA acquisition, Westy is a draft pick, Weaver is a FA, and Donovan is a draft choice. only 6 out of our 22 starters are non-draft picks, and in most of those positions, we have a draft pick to replace them. Solid, solid, drafting, there aren't many teams who do it better.

Go_Eagles77
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Yep, too many people look at the players that didn't pan out when determining how good the eagles drafts are, when you look at the positives, it is hard to complain.

Sniper
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=546482

1. Quintin Demps, FS, Eagles. Philadelphia fans will need to get used to a new face after seeing Brian Dawkins roam all over the field for so many years. Demps is on track to be his replacement at free safety. With Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs and underrated strong safety Quintin Mikell joining him in the defensive backfield, Demps will be left free to make big plays in a variety of roles.

eaglesalltheway
05-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Solid list, I actually agree with the top 6, but would have Phillips at 4 and the Dallas CBs at 5 and 6, but its moreso that I really like Tracey Porter. I think all 4 of those DBs will be very good players. Demps #1 doesn't surprise me at all. Except for two plays in the NFC Championship, he had a great rookie year, and showed insane amounts of promise. I remember reading the profile Scott had on him last year. It said to never underestimate him, or something like that. I think Scott had a feeling he might be a good player back then, but I'm not sure.

Sniper
05-09-2009, 10:30 AM
If Anquan Boldin is truly still available, do you still want to see the Eagles make a move for him?

eaglesalltheway
05-09-2009, 12:18 PM
If Anquan Boldin is truly still available, do you still want to see the Eagles make a move for him?

No, unless it is for a second rounder or less, in which case, it would certainly be worth thinking about. I don't think the team does it though, not anymore. The more I think about it, the less I want Boldin now. Maybe if we hadn't gotten Maclin I'd be more inclined to say yes, but for right now, I can not see a situation where I'd want the Eagles to get him.

So basically, no;).

camp_eagles
05-09-2009, 01:00 PM

I think that if Boldin is traded (which he wont be) it will be in the last year of his deal so the Cards can get the most out of him before trading him. My thinking on any move is whether or not it makes the Eagles better and it would so I would not be mad with the move unless we get ripped on the trade, but hes not going anywhere.

Go_Eagles77
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I like our WRs a lot right now, I see no need to trade for Boldin.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Boldin also wants a huge contract and although we do have the money, I just don't see us giving it to him after the contract we just gave Peters.

Eaglez.Fan
05-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I definitely do not want Q anymore. First off we have to give this years group a chance. It looks as if we will be going into the season with Jackson, Curtis, Maclin, Avant, Baskett and Brown. If Boldin is brought in, it will push Curtis to the slot, Maclin will hardly see the field and Avant will be useless. I have full confidence in these guys and expect a good year passing the football.

Does anyone else think that Lorenzo Booker could be cut? If Booker was kept the RB situation would not compliment each other very well. All three and quick, shifty and can catch the ball out of the back field. IMO Mendenhall will win the 3rd spot.

Thumper
05-09-2009, 04:58 PM
No move for Boldin plz.

Jackson, Maclin, Curtis, Avant, Brown, Baskett FTW!

Also I am actually waiting to see what the special teams looks like. The return game should be ELECTRIC. Demps, Jackson, Maclin, Hobbs, Harris, Thigpen and maybe even Booker.

Not to mention the Eagles will unveil Joe Mays. He should KILL some people on special teams.

Go_Eagles77
05-09-2009, 05:03 PM
One guy I'm looking forward to seeing is Byron Parker, but with all the depth at DB I really can't see him making the team.

Eugene Bright is another interesting guy, played DE in college, so he's a big-bodied TE who has impressed in mini-camp. He's also a local kid who was an eagles fan growing up. I hope he beats out Schobel if we don't bring anyone else in, could be the best blocking TE on the team.

Sniper
05-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Does anyone else think that Lorenzo Booker could be cut? If Booker was kept the RB situation would not compliment each other very well. All three and quick, shifty and can catch the ball out of the back field. IMO Mendenhall will win the 3rd spot.

Doubt it. As of right now, I think Mendenhall ends up on the PS. It's obviously early, though.

brat316
05-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I still think there is a chance of one more Rb being added on to the roster. The three rbs are very similar to each other and I don't expect much out of Ekel.

Weaver is there to compliment them, but he is a fb so I doubt we will ever see him in there by himself.

Go_Eagles77
05-10-2009, 12:21 AM
A sleeper at RB to look out for is Eldra Buckley. He was stuck behind LT, Sproles, and Michael Turner in SD but now he has a legit shot to make a roster. He's not really a big back but he is a much better all-around back than Booker. However if Booker proves to be what everyone thought he would be last year, than I don't think we could let him go. That's just another weapon for our offense. People really underestimate Weaver as an option to get the short-yardage, so we can afford to have more small backs than most teams, especially considering our system.

eaglesalltheway
05-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I definitely do not want Q anymore. First off we have to give this years group a chance. It looks as if we will be going into the season with Jackson, Curtis, Maclin, Avant, Baskett and Brown. If Boldin is brought in, it will push Curtis to the slot, Maclin will hardly see the field and Avant will be useless. I have full confidence in these guys and expect a good year passing the football.

Right now, I don't have him making the team. I have Eckel making the team as the third RB, who will be our big RB, and will round out our RBs. Though I agree with Sniper, in the line of thought that Mendenhall ends up on the PS.

eaglesalltheway
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
One guy I'm looking forward to seeing is Byron Parker, but with all the depth at DB I really can't see him making the team.

Eugene Bright is another interesting guy, played DE in college, so he's a big-bodied TE who has impressed in mini-camp. He's also a local kid who was an eagles fan growing up. I hope he beats out Schobel if we don't bring anyone else in, could be the best blocking TE on the team.

Agreed on Parker, he was great in the CFL, but there is just so much for him to battle agaisnt that I can't see him pushing anyone else out of a roster spot.

I like Bright, and actually think he makes the team over Schobel. He is already the best blocking TE we have, and has shown great athletecism and can catch the ball as well. He has youth and a much smaller contract working in his favor to allow him to make the team over Schobel.

eaglesalltheway
05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I still think there is a chance of one more Rb being added on to the roster. The three rbs are very similar to each other and I don't expect much out of Ekel.

Weaver is there to compliment them, but he is a fb so I doubt we will ever see him in there by himself.

I doubt it. We have Westy, Shady, Eckel, Booker, Mendenhall, and Buckley all battling for 3 spots. Westy and Shady are locks, so that leaves 4 guys to battle for one spot. Eckel has shown he is a good runner last year, and very powerful, I'm not sure why you don't expect much out of him. Mendenhall is a very talented young guy, and Buckley has a great skill set. There is already too much competition there right now, and another one wouldn't change the RB situation much. I wouldn't be against getting another guy, but at this point he won't make much of an impact either way.

Weaver was in his fair share of plays as the RB, and is great with the ball in his hands. He really can do it all, I'm not just saying that. He can be a big back for us if the team elects to keep Booker. Don't sleep on Weaver, this guy is going to be a beast.

eaglesalltheway
05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
A sleeper at RB to look out for is Eldra Buckley. He was stuck behind LT, Sproles, and Michael Turner in SD but now he has a legit shot to make a roster. He's not really a big back but he is a much better all-around back than Booker. However if Booker proves to be what everyone thought he would be last year, than I don't think we could let him go. That's just another weapon for our offense. People really underestimate Weaver as an option to get the short-yardage, so we can afford to have more small backs than most teams, especially considering our system.

Damn straight ;)...

eaglesalltheway
05-10-2009, 04:24 PM
No move for Boldin plz.

Jackson, Maclin, Curtis, Avant, Brown, Baskett FTW!

Also I am actually waiting to see what the special teams looks like. The return game should be ELECTRIC. Demps, Jackson, Maclin, Hobbs, Harris, Thigpen and maybe even Booker.

Not to mention the Eagles will unveil Joe Mays. He should KILL some people on special teams.

He is the definition of wedgebreaker. I love Mays, and think if it wasn't for what we have at our starting LB positions already, he would be starting...

Our special teams looks good this year both in returning and covering...

Go_Eagles77
05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Didn't the NFL just eliminate the wedge?

brat316
05-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Didn't the NFL just eliminate the wedge?

Yes the three man wedge not 2 man.

I think they did something with the wedge breaker as well no sure.

cunningham06
05-11-2009, 01:00 AM
That sucks, I love the wedge. Probably a good idea safety-wise I guess, during football season one of my friends always tried to break the wedge, and even once tried jumping the wedge which resulted in him falling on his head.

eaglesalltheway
05-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Yes the three man wedge not 2 man.

I think they did something with the wedge breaker as well no sure.

I think it was changed to one less wedge breaker as well. The components are there, but you're just allowed to use less of them...

eaglesalltheway
05-11-2009, 06:27 AM
That sucks, I love the wedge. Probably a good idea safety-wise I guess, during football season one of my friends always tried to break the wedge, and even once tried jumping the wedge which resulted in him falling on his head.

It's a good idea safety-wise, but football is slowly becoming less physical. There are so many things allowed in the early years that they don't allow now. I wish they would just keep it the way it was, because eventually there will be no need for helmets and pads. (An exaggeration, of course)

eaglesalltheway
05-11-2009, 01:42 PM
OK guys I have a few buddies who are Cowboy/ Giants fans, and I challenged them to name a glaring weakness on this team. Besides defensive leadership (Dawk leaving) they honestly could come up with nothing. Now I think we have guys who can come in and help fill that leadership void, but from your perspective, where is this team weakest, because I am having a hard time finding a weakness. Its not that I'm being overconfident, there are zero legitimate weaknesses on this team. Now we have some minor weaknesses, but nothing that will drastically affect the team this year IMO. What is everyone else's opinion on this?

Sniper
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
OK guys I have a few buddies who are Cowboy/ Giants fans, and I challenged them to name a glaring weakness on this team. Besides defensive leadership (Dawk leaving) they honestly could come up with nothing. Now I think we have guys who can come in and help fill that leadership void, but from your perspective, where is this team weakest, because I am having a hard time finding a weakness. Its not that I'm being overconfident, there are zero legitimate weaknesses on this team. Now we have some minor weaknesses, but nothing that will drastically affect the team this year IMO. What is everyone else's opinion on this?

Ask D-Unit. He thinks the Eagles' safeties "suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck". His basis for Quintin Mikell sucking? Colt Brennan tore up Boise State when Mikell played there.

brat316
05-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Experience, or lack of experience at certain positions. I'm not expecting the rookies at the skill positions to explode, or make huge impacts, play like age vets. If they do make a impact that will be great, but I don't want to see them handed a starting role, unless they earned it.

A lot of the positions have stating caliber players, not spectacular players, game changers.

eaglesalltheway
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Ask D-Unit. He thinks the Eagles' safeties "suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck". His basis for Quintin Mikell sucking? Colt Brennan tore up Boise State when Mikell played there.

Well, IIRC, D-Unit loves Brennan, but wow, wasn't that like 5 or 6 years ago, haha.

Sniper
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, IIRC, D-Unit loves Brennan, but wow, wasn't that like 5 or 6 years ago, haha.

Before Q had his name on the All-Pro squad.

eaglesalltheway
05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Experience, or lack of experience at certain positions. I'm not expecting the rookies at the skill positions to explode, or make huge impacts, play like age vets. If they do make a impact that will be great, but I don't want to see them handed a starting role, unless they earned it.

A lot of the positions have stating caliber players, not spectacular players, game changers.

Our experience is valid, but we only have 3 or 4 guys who will be starting that are truly young (DeSean, Demps, Celek and Abiamiri[not really though]). Now there are a lot of key contributors that are young (Shady, Ingram, Maclin) but shouldn't be relied on too much unless they really show a lot. The only position we lost experience (to a young guy) at was FS, but the rest of those guys have either been around long enough, or have a year of starting experience.

Here is where I say we have above average (or higher) starters...
QB, RB, FB, WR (DeSean), LT, LG, C (whoever wins it), RT, RE, LE, UT, NT, MLB, SS, both CBs, and K.

Where they are average (approximately) TE, RG, SLB, WLB, WR (Curtis), and P

And we don't know for sure about Demps, but he looks very promising IMO, and if I had to bet, I'd say he ends up above average. We have no below average starters, IMO, and some of the approximate average guys can move up with good seasons. We have spectacular players in McNabb, Westy, DeSean, Peters, Shawn Andrews, Trent Cole, Bunkley, Bradley, Mikell, Sheldon, and Samuel.

eaglesalltheway
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Before Q had his name on the All-Pro squad.

He really has developed quite a bit since he got to the Eagles. He is a perfect example of what hard work and a good attitude will get you. He deserves all the accolades he gets, and then some. When I talked with him at Training Camp last year, he truly seemed like just an average guy who just so happened to be a great football player.

Eaglez.Fan
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Our experience is valid, but we only have 3 or 4 guys who will be starting that are truly young (DeSean, Demps, Celek and Abiamiri[not really though]). Now there are a lot of key contributors that are young (Shady, Ingram, Maclin) but shouldn't be relied on too much unless they really show a lot. The only position we lost experience (to a young guy) at was FS, but the rest of those guys have either been around long enough, or have a year of starting experience.

QB, RB, FB, WR (DeSean), LT, LG, C (whoever wins it), RT, RE, LE, UT, NT, MLB, SS, both CBs, and K.

And we don't know for sure about Demps, but he looks very promising IMO, and if I had to bet, I'd say he ends up above average. We have no below average starters, IMO, and some of the approximate average guys can move up with good seasons. We have spectacular players in McNabb, Westy, DeSean, Peters, Shawn Andrews, Trent Cole, Bunkley, Bradley, Mikell, Sheldon, and Samuel.

I think Demps could actually play very well this year. He'll be starting on a top 5 defense in the league with no glaring holes. Therefore, he won't have to cater to one side or the other he can just make plays without worrying about a lapse in coverage or someone screwing up, since he is the safety net of the defense. I also could see him playing a lot in center field, with Mikell in the box, and especially in a 3 safety set with Jones in there as well.

As for Mikell, if your defensive coordinator says he was the MVP of the defense, and this defense was 3rd in the league, I think that says something about what he's been doing on the field.

cunningham06
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM

I know you've got an Abiamiri boner, but it's pretty early to say he's an above average starter considering he hasn't been the starter for us yet. I like him a lot though and he has potential. I'd say LE for us last season was pretty average. Parker does well but wears down as the season progresses. We've got a lot of bodies at the position, but no one who has established themselves as being a good starter.

That being said I don't really consider LE a weakness because I think Abiamiri will be fine, but if he doesn't develop as expected or gets injured again, that will definitely be one of the weaker spots on our defense.

As for safety, Demps will have growing pains and make his share of mistakes since it's his first year as a starter, but that's to be expected. He has found himself in a similar situation to the one Dawan Landry was in a few seasons ago with the Ravens. He came in to a very good secondary so that made his job easier. Granted Mikell isn't quite Ed Reed, but our CB's are better than theirs were at the time.

TE I would consider somewhat weak. Celek is pretty average and although I really like Cornelius Ingram, who knows how he will turn out. Celek had a great game for us in the NFC championship, but he isn't a consistent threat from week to week. We could be much worse off at TE, but we could also use a better player at the position. I'm hoping Ingram can be that guy, I'm a big fan of his.

WLB I'd also consider a weakness because Akeem Jordan isn't much of a playmaker. He did make some nice plays behind the line of scrimmage, but the WLB position in our defense calls for a guy who can get sacks, interceptions, and pass deflections. Now if Gaither could become more consistent we would have something. He would have some monster games followed by some very quiet ones. However, I see Akeem Jordan holding on to the starting spot, so we'll see how he does this season.

So while they aren't glaring weaknesses, there is certainly a lot of room for improvement at TE and WLB. But this is probably the strongest the Eagles have looked on paper in a very long time.

bsaza2358
05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
If nothing else, TE and WILL weakness can be masked by scheme, provided the players are at least league average at the basics. The basics would be blocking and catching the open routes for TE and tackling and gap control at WILL.

I think Mikell will be the starter at one safety spot, but Jones and Demps will have their own matchup packages. JJ will play to strengths while he and McDermitt develop Demps.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 09:38 AM
TE I would consider somewhat weak. Celek is pretty average and although I really like Cornelius Ingram, who knows how he will turn out. Celek had a great game for us in the NFC championship, but he isn't a consistent threat from week to week. We could be much worse off at TE, but we could also use a better player at the position. I'm hoping Ingram can be that guy, I'm a big fan of his.

I agree. Celek showed something against Arizona but I'd like him to get open more consistently and block better. While I think he's improved tremendously since arriving in Philly, he still has a long way to go. I also love Ingram's potential, but to expect anything huge out of a 5th round pick coming off of an ACL tear is a bit much. I'll be ecstatic if Ingram catches 15 passes this year. He's got room to grow, though, and down the line could be an excellent pass-catching TE.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 09:40 AM
If nothing else, TE and WILL weakness can be masked by scheme, provided the players are at least league average at the basics. The basics would be blocking and catching the open routes for TE and tackling and gap control at WILL.

Well, depending on the progress of Jeremy Maclin, we could see a lot more four and five wide sets, which in essence would diminish the TE's role in the offense. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer going four wide with Maclin, Jackson, Curtis and Avant with Westbrook/McCoy in the backfield compared to say, twin TEs and two RBs. I just feel like the offense can be more explosive and there is more skill at WR (what the ****? on this team?) than at TE.

bigbluedefense
05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm sure theres a lot of Penn State fans in here. What do you guys think of Maurice Evans?

I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, but I have high hopes for him. He's been impressive thus far, and with NFL conditioning and a year with our dline coach, I think we might be able to squeeze some talent out of him.

From what Ive read he was supposed to be a beast, but fell off the face of the earth this year. What do you guys think of him? You definitely seen more of him then I have.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm sure theres a lot of Penn State fans in here. What do you guys think of Maurice Evans?

I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, but I have high hopes for him. He's been impressive thus far, and with NFL conditioning and a year with our dline coach, I think we might be able to squeeze some talent out of him.

From what Ive read he was supposed to be a beast, but fell off the face of the earth this year. What do you guys think of him? You definitely seen more of him then I have.

I'm far from a PSU fan, but I've seen Evans play quite a bit. The physical talent is there, but the mental talent might not be. He doesn't have great measurables, but he knows how to get to the QB. He can hold up against the run and with your DL coach, he could eventually blossom into a 5-6 sack type of guy.

bigbluedefense
05-12-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm far from a PSU fan, but I've seen Evans play quite a bit. The physical talent is there, but the mental talent might not be. He doesn't have great measurables, but he knows how to get to the QB. He can hold up against the run and with your DL coach, he could eventually blossom into a 5-6 sack type of guy.

i'll take that for a 5th string DE.

im not asking for much. just another able body just in case. he's fighting Tollefson for that spot.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20090512_Paul_Domowitch__Troy_Vincent_advises_Shel don_Brown_on_how_to_handle_situation_with_Eagles.h tml

Troy Vincent advised Sheldon Brown to stop fighting his battle in the media. Smart guy, that Troy.

brat316
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Well, depending on the progress of Jeremy Maclin, we could see a lot more four and five wide sets, which in essence would diminish the TE's role in the offense. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer going four wide with Maclin, Jackson, Curtis and Avant with Westbrook/McCoy in the backfield compared to say, twin TEs and two RBs. I just feel like the offense can be more explosive and there is more skill at WR (what the ****? on this team?) than at TE.

Thinking of that spread offense. That would be amazing two years in a row, rookie wide outs making an impact on the Eagles. Then again the last rookie wide receiver that had a good rookie season, now everyone wants him off the team.

Also one thing that I hope is improved is red zone scoring. I don't think 4 WR sets would ideal inside the like 10. Hopefully Hank Baskett becomes a better redzone target, and the now extra big line, gets a push in the run game. This is were Weaver will be crucial, in blocking and short yardage.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I think Demps could actually play very well this year. He'll be starting on a top 5 defense in the league with no glaring holes. Therefore, he won't have to cater to one side or the other he can just make plays without worrying about a lapse in coverage or someone screwing up, since he is the safety net of the defense. I also could see him playing a lot in center field, with Mikell in the box, and especially in a 3 safety set with Jones in there as well.

As for Mikell, if your defensive coordinator says he was the MVP of the defense, and this defense was 3rd in the league, I think that says something about what he's been doing on the field.

I agree totally on Demps, its just we don't know for sure what we have in him, so I figured it wouldn't be fair to evaluate him before he even has a chance. I do feel he will be a very great player, as I said towards the end of that post.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I know you've got an Abiamiri boner, but it's pretty early to say he's an above average starter considering he hasn't been the starter for us yet. I like him a lot though and he has potential. I'd say LE for us last season was pretty average. Parker does well but wears down as the season progresses. We've got a lot of bodies at the position, but no one who has established themselves as being a good starter.

That being said I don't really consider LE a weakness because I think Abiamiri will be fine, but if he doesn't develop as expected or gets injured again, that will definitely be one of the weaker spots on our defense.

As for safety, Demps will have growing pains and make his share of mistakes since it's his first year as a starter, but that's to be expected. He has found himself in a similar situation to the one Dawan Landry was in a few seasons ago with the Ravens. He came in to a very good secondary so that made his job easier. Granted Mikell isn't quite Ed Reed, but our CB's are better than theirs were at the time.

WLB I'd also consider a weakness because Akeem Jordan isn't much of a playmaker. He did make some nice plays behind the line of scrimmage, but the WLB position in our defense calls for a guy who can get sacks, interceptions, and pass deflections. Now if Gaither could become more consistent we would have something. He would have some monster games followed by some very quiet ones. However, I see Akeem Jordan holding on to the starting spot, so we'll see how he does this season.

So while they aren't glaring weaknesses, there is certainly a lot of room for improvement at TE and WLB. But this is probably the strongest the Eagles have looked on paper in a very long time.

My love for Abiamiri has surpassed boner status... But truthfully, I didn't even take into account him being the sole starter. I put my Abiamiri crush away while looking at this, and I fully believe that the LE position is above average for the NFL. Since we use so much rotation at our DEs, its hard to peg a guy as a starter, and when you include what Parker, Abiamiri, and Clemons can do and have done, I'd say that the LE position is slightly above average.

As I've said, I really like Demps (approaching boner status, lol) and I think he will be a very good player, but he hasn't had the opportunity yet, and since we don't rotate our safeties like we do our DEs, he will be the FS for most of the plays when he is healthy, so it really isn't fair to evaluate that position just yet, though I think the future is bright.

When you compare TE to the rest of the team, it is weak, on paper. But Celek is someone I've liked for a while and I think he is better than what LJ Smith could've done for us. Celek isn't flashy, but he is a grinder with the ball in his hands, and really is tough to bring down. I've seen enough of him to get a good base of how I think he will do, and I think this season, as long as he is healthy, he will be a middle of the pack NFL TE, if not a little higher.

WLB is also weak compared to the rest of the team, but considering what we have there, weak is a relative term for this team (same goes with TE). We don't have any huge playmakers at LB, but when you look at the design of this defense and its scheme, it is meant for the playmakers to come from the secondary and the DL. The LBs are there to make sure the opposing offense doesn't make plays and has done a damn good job of that so far. If we had a playmaker in the LB corp (I think all three LBs could develop into a playmaker) it would only make the defense even scarier. Think about it, we had a top 3 defense last year with basically the same guys, there aren't any glaring weknesses on this defense. I agree we could improve WLB, but if we went into next season with the same two guys in Jordan and Gaither, I wouldn't be worried about it at all. Jordan has a ton of potential, and really began impressing me in the playoffs with some plays.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Remember when we could have had...

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/35/357437.jpg

and we took...

http://www.blueandgold.com/images/photos/Image/players/abiamiri_victor/abiamiri_victor250x277.jpg

This makes me a ...

http://www.upmyownass.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/500px-sad_pandasvg.png

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM

I think Mikell will be the starter at one safety spot, but Jones and Demps will have their own matchup packages. JJ will play to strengths while he and McDermitt develop Demps.

We really should consider ourselves lucky when our two weakest positions have young players who could develop into above average starters at their respective positions.

TE weaknesses (relative term) may not paly a huge role with all the other receiving threats this offense has. We have 4 or 5 legitimate WR threats, as well as three receiving threats from the backfield. Those backfield threats can fill in, somewhat, for whatever TE deficiencies there may be. And with some of the WRs we have, they too can help fill in for wahtever may be lackinf from the TE position, as a receiver. That being said. Having Celek in there full time, I don't think we will have to mask much, except for blocking, for the TE position.

As for WLB, weakness is once again a relative term. Akeem Jordan began showing some real potential towards the end of the season and playoffs, and with him battling for a spot with Gaither, it will only improve his game. I believe with added experience all along our LB corp, it may help bring out a playmaker that we could use from those positions, but when you consider all the playmakers we have at other spots, it isn't a necessity to have a playmakking LB. Another thing for some of you to keep in mind, when I was a TC, the defensive coaches were hammering into all the players about basics and technique, not necessarily playmaking, as looking for the big play may lead to lapses in technique and leave you vulnerable to a big play. I'd rather have very few big plays from our LBs, and very few big plays from opposing offenses as a result, than having frequent big plays from our LBs, and frequent big plays from opposing offenses.

I expected there to be more of a competition for Jones and Demps, but it seems that Demps has taken the lead early, and the coaches really like what they see from Demps. This is even more promising, and is another thing that leads me to belive Demps will be a very good player for us.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree. Celek showed something against Arizona but I'd like him to get open more consistently and block better. While I think he's improved tremendously since arriving in Philly, he still has a long way to go. I also love Ingram's potential, but to expect anything huge out of a 5th round pick coming off of an ACL tear is a bit much. I'll be ecstatic if Ingram catches 15 passes this year. He's got room to grow, though, and down the line could be an excellent pass-catching TE.

Celek showed a lot the whole playoffs, and had a few big games in the regular season. If you look back, his big games in the regular season was once the coaching staff named him the starter in those weaks, where he had more time to practice and get more reps in, as well as preparing a little different, possibly. But when LJ was deemed healthy, he got the starts by default, and those game were when Celek had less impact because he had less opportunities on the field. One of the many things I like about him is that both McNabb and Kolb trust him. In the preseason games, Celek is Kolb's favorite target by a long shot. Once given the opportunity, McNabb gave Celek many opportunities to make plays, and in most of them, he delivered. He played big in the playoffs, not just the Championship game, and you can't take that away from him.

Ingram has really impressed a lot of the coaches so far, from whats been reported, He seems healthy and the coaches are very impressed with hsi hands. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has at least 20 catches this season, however, with all the other weapons we have, it will be tough. But he seems healthy, and the coaches have loved almost everything about him so far.

Oh one more thing abot the TE postion... Didn't I say the team would bring in a UDFA TE who is more of a blocker to compete with Schoebel...?

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:14 PM

LOL, its so nice to finally say that...

With all the weapons we have, we can have dangerous plays in any formation the team runs. With both Wesy and Shady being versatile threat, you can still have dynamic option even in those 2 TE and 2 RB sets, not to mention having Jackson out wide. Just wait till you get a dose of Leonard Weaver, he is even a versatile option in the backfield. With the personell this offense has, along with all the different skill sets, every single play is a chance for a TD...

Also, I am now in full boner status over Leonard Weaver. I have never had so much enthusiasm so early in the process, and with good reason.

brat316
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM

and we took...

http://www.blueandgold.com/images/photos/Image/players/abiamiri_victor/abiamiri_victor250x277.jpg

This makes me a ...

He wouldn't have been a beast as a 4-3 end.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
i'll take that for a 5th string DE.

im not asking for much. just another able body just in case. he's fighting Tollefson for that spot.

He has a shot at beating Tollefson, but as Sniper said, he is immature, doesn't have ideal size (overrated IMO, but still worth mentioning) but has tons of talent. It seems that a lot of mid round guys with character concerns went undrafted this year. He has a nose for the QB, and as Sniper said, will hold up against the run with some addition technique and leverage. He would be a solid 5th DE for you guys, but I wouldn't expect too much from him, especially early. I think 5 or 6 sacks is being generous actually, and I am a PSU fan.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Thinking of that spread offense. That would be amazing two years in a row, rookie wide outs making an impact on the Eagles. Then again the last rookie wide receiver that had a good rookie season, now everyone wants him off the team.

Also one thing that I hope is improved is red zone scoring. I don't think 4 WR sets would ideal inside the like 10. Hopefully Hank Baskett becomes a better redzone target, and the now extra big line, gets a push in the run game. This is were Weaver will be crucial, in blocking and short yardage.

With the added girth on the OL, as well as Weaver (most improtant thing for us, IMO) and Shady having a nose for the end zone (not that Westy doesn't) our Red Zone and short yardage running should be a lot more successful than in years past. With the size of Baskett, that may help, but lets not forget that DeSean can take advantage of coverage and make those quick slants pay off. Maclin can do the same as well.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM

and we took...

This makes me a ...

I can easily see why you, as a Michigan fan, were dissapointed. Though I still think Woodley would've been a great LE, I think he is in the perfect situation in Pittsburgh. He has had great coaches and players to learn from. I think he would still be a great LE, but I think he is best suited where he is, as a rush LB.

I really liked Woodley a lot, and knew whatever team got him was going to get a great player. I personally liked Abiamiri a little better at the time, but would've loved Woodley as an Eagle. Abiamiri hasn't been given his shot yet, but he will be a fantastic player for the Eagles, and his play will slightly lessen the pain that you feel about not having Woodley.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
We wouldn't have been a beast as a 4-3 end.

As I said above, I think he'd be very good, no matter where he plays. He is one of those guys that is solid everywhere, he doesn't have a ture weakness in what the coaches ask him to do, and he plays his heart out. He puts out too much effort to fail.

Geo
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Remember when we could have had... <Woodley>

and we took... <Abiamiri>

This makes me a ... <Sad Panda>
Woodley was taken 46th overall, Abiamiri 57th overall. Granted, the Eagles took Kolb at 36.

07 Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NFL_Draft)

brat316
05-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Woodley was taken 46th overall, Abiamiri 57th overall. Granted, the Eagles took Kolb at 36.

Ohhh Snap....Geo telling it how it is to Sniper.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 12:56 PM
At the time, I thought Woodley would be worth the pick we took Kolb at. That pick surprised the hell out of me, but I was very happy with the Abiamiri pick afterward, and it made me feel much better. Then we got Bradley and Hunt, and I was super excited, well at least two (if not more) have worked out...

Geo
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Ohhh Snap....Geo telling it how it is to Sniper.
Oh please. :P

Sniper's post made me curious so I checked is all.

The Eagles draft very well, hence their long-term success.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 01:23 PM

That makes it even worse. BRB, going to kill myself.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
He wouldn't have been a beast as a 4-3 end.

http://www.mgoblue.com/images/football/06-07/woodley-lombardi.jpg

...in a 4-3. LaMarr Woodley could play wherever he damn well pleases.

http://community.post-gazette.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.32/Woodley.jpg

Look at those guns...No one ***** with LaMarr.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Oh please. :P

Sniper's post made me curious so I checked is all.

The Eagles draft very well, hence their long-term success.

That's what I've been saying as well. A lot of fans just remember the busts and think we aren't a great drafting team. Then I say, if we aren't a great drafting team, why have we been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL the past 10 years? We draft well, sign UDFA that have a legitimate shot at developing and making impacts, and sign key FAs when we need to, but don't go ape **** for them. The team has that success mostly in part to our great drafting. The leaders of this team know what they are doing, and it shows as we are one of the best teams of the last 10 years.

If only the team can get the ultimate reward...

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.mgoblue.com/images/football/06-07/woodley-lombardi.jpg

...in a 4-3.

Exactly why I like him in either scheme. He has the right skill set to excel in either DE spot, as well as a Rush LB.

Go_Eagles77
05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I still have fairly high hopes for Abiamiri. He looked pretty good towards the end of the year when he started coming back healthy. I don't know if he will ever be a 10+ sack guy but we have 3 or 4 players on the roster in reserve roles that can get a ton of sacks. I like Victor's overall game better than any DE on the roster other than Trent Cole.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I still have fairly high hopes for Abiamiri. He looked pretty good towards the end of the year when he started coming back healthy. I don't know if he will ever be a 10+ sack guy but we have 3 or 4 players on the roster in reserve roles that can get a ton of sacks. I like Victor's overall game better than any DE on the roster other than Trent Cole.

As much as I love Abiamiri, he isn't the type of DE to get 10+ sacks. He will get you approximately 6-8 per year and be a monster in the run game. He will get tons of TFLs, and will only improve the run game. He will get many pressures on QBs. Its like I've said before, he will be the Bunk of our DEs. Just like Bunk, he may not put up crazy sack numbers, but he will further anchor the DL and not let up any big runs.

cunningham06
05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
That's what I've been saying as well. A lot of fans just remember the busts and think we aren't a great drafting team. Then I say, if we aren't a great drafting team, why have we been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL the past 10 years? We draft well, sign UDFA that have a legitimate shot at developing and making impacts, and sign key FAs when we need to, but don't go ape **** for them. The team has that success mostly in part to our great drafting. The leaders of this team know what they are doing, and it shows as we are one of the best teams of the last 10 years.

If only the team can get the ultimate reward...

We have pretty sexy drafts, we may pick up some small school guys ie. Bryan Smith, Chris Gocong, etc. but a lot of the guys we pick have very good value and are well known amongst scouts where we pick. Usually the average draftnik is wondering why the guy we picked was still on board at that point. This years draft was very indicative of that. Maclin was a huge score, as well as Cornelius Ingram and Victor 'Macho' Harris later on. DeSean Jackson went later than many expected as did Winston Justice :(. Clearly every pick doesn't pan out, but the Eagles make very smart decisions and don't reach very often. The only notable exception I can really think of being Kevin Kolb, but that pick still infuriates me to this day.

The Eagles strategy pays off, and only after our 2007 draft did I feel disappointed and thought we could have done better. But even that draft class redeemed itself since we got Bradley, Abiamiri, and Celek out of it.

cunningham06
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Sure we can mask any deficiencies of Akeem Jordan at WILL, but the defense would be a TON better if he could go above and beyond the basics. EATW I agree that as long as the LB's do their job and don't give up big plays I'll be happy. But making the gamble when the situation is right is very important. The WILL in our defense gets a good amount of opportunities to make game changing plays, with an assortment of different responsibilities such as blitzing, zone coverage, patrolling the flat, etc. By playing the weak side, a LB has a lot more opportunities for a big play since he doesn't have to worry about a huge lineman or TE coming after him every play.

Amongst NFL players if you were to name the best OLB's it would most likely be a list made up of mainly weak side linebackers. Strong side linebackers don't put up gaudy stats, they just have to do their job to make things easier for the rest of the defense. But players like Takeo Spikes in his prime are absolute monsters who make huge plays. They have a good view into the backfield and need to be able to make split second decisions, especially on busted offensive plays which require some improvisation.

I'm fine with what we have right now, but a playmaking WILL, not a Deltha O'Neal of LB's, in my opinion is what would put us over the top and in contention for the #1 overall defense.

Thumper
05-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Sniper, would getting Brandon Graham suffice for your loss? (Woodley)

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0f9n0pJeZl60Y/610x.jpg

would that make you a http://blog.pbwiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/panda.gif??

Sniper
05-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes, it most certainly would.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
We have pretty sexy drafts, we may pick up some small school guys ie. Bryan Smith, Chris Gocong, etc. but a lot of the guys we pick have very good value and are well known amongst scouts where we pick. Usually the average draftnik is wondering why the guy we picked was still on board at that point. This years draft was very indicative of that. Maclin was a huge score, as well as Cornelius Ingram and Victor 'Macho' Harris later on. DeSean Jackson went later than many expected as did Winston Justice :(. Clearly every pick doesn't pan out, but the Eagles make very smart decisions and don't reach very often. The only notable exception I can really think of being Kevin Kolb, but that pick still infuriates me to this day.

The Eagles strategy pays off, and only after our 2007 draft did I feel disappointed and thought we could have done better. But even that draft class redeemed itself since we got Bradley, Abiamiri, and Celek out of it.

Honestly guys, from what I saw of Smith in TC last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a lot like Trent Cole. He doesn't have that great size you look for, but makes up for it in motor and pure talent. Once he gets proper technique and leverage under control, he can be a deadly weapon rushing the passer. With the strength I'm sure he's added since he got here, as well as that technique and leverage, I think he has a chance to be a very, very good starter.

You are exactly right about this draft, the whole process I was on the edge waiting to see if Maclin, then Shady, (wanted Coffman) then Ingram, and even to a lesser extent, Macho Harris and Fenuki Tupou. We had a lot of steals this draft, and as with many of our drafts we get what is perceived as good value. People may look back on the Justice pick and get ticked off, but honestly, knowing what the team knew then, I can't say there is a better choice out there. He had insane value, fit a need, fit our style, and was a great player. I remember at the time, we were going crazy about that pick, and rightfully so, as it was perceived as great value. I agree on the Kolb pick, that is the only one that still confuses the hell out of me, but looking back on the rest of that draft, I liked Abiamiri, Bradley, and Hunt a whole bunch, and was exceptionally excited after that draft. But obviously now it is less impressive, with Hunt no longer on the team, and Kolb not seeming to take that step. As you said though, we have promising players from that draft, but our top pick and one of my favorites, from a fan perspective, didn't.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Sure we can mask any deficiencies of Akeem Jordan at WILL, but the defense would be a TON better if he could go above and beyond the basics. EATW I agree that as long as the LB's do their job and don't give up big plays I'll be happy. But making the gamble when the situation is right is very important. The WILL in our defense gets a good amount of opportunities to make game changing plays, with an assortment of different responsibilities such as blitzing, zone coverage, patrolling the flat, etc. By playing the weak side, a LB has a lot more opportunities for a big play since he doesn't have to worry about a huge lineman or TE coming after him every play.

Amongst NFL players if you were to name the best OLB's it would most likely be a list made up of mainly weak side linebackers. Strong side linebackers don't put up gaudy stats, they just have to do their job to make things easier for the rest of the defense. But players like Takeo Spikes in his prime are absolute monsters who make huge plays. They have a good view into the backfield and need to be able to make split second decisions, especially on busted offensive plays which require some improvisation.

I'm fine with what we have right now, but a playmaking WILL, not a Deltha O'Neal of LB's, in my opinion is what would put us over the top and in contention for the #1 overall defense.

No doubt about it, if we have a LB who can make plays without giving them up, I can't see a losing situation there, but with what we have on this defense, it isn't a necessity to have that playmaking LB. It would be nice, no doubt about it, but right now I am more than happy with the LB corp.

That is partially why I have been supportive of Gocong for a while now. His first responsibility is to stop the run. He does exactly that. He needs to improve coverage and rushing, and is doing so, but I've understood that because of the role he is in, he will never be considered a superstar. Bunk is the same way, allws the defense to make plays, and I expect similar things from Abiamiri, though he will get his fair share of opportunities.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this defense doesn't contend for it this year. They were tops all season last year and looking at things now, they don't have to worry about covering up for Dawk's lack of range, and all have more experience, whether it be with the team, or in the system for the FA acquisitions. The defense is getting that experience without losing talent, as many of our defenders are at a point where they are near or under their maximum potential. We will have a top defense for years to come with the corp of guys we have...

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Yes, it most certainly would.

I like Graham, he is underrated right now IMO. And if the team selects a DE, I certainly would have him as one of the top DE targets.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Graham or Greg Hardy. OLB would be another area I could see us going as of we we stand right now.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Graham or Greg Hardy. OLB would be another area I could see us going as of we we stand right now.

It would have to be a WLB IMO, Gocong has done enough to solidify himself, as long as he doesn't blow it this year, which I don't think he will. He has only imrpoved since he got here, and I don't expect that to change.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I like Graham, he is underrated right now IMO. And if the team selects a DE, I certainly would have him as one of the top DE targets.

I don't see how he isn't a top prospect. Dude's a beast. 18.5 sacks and 29.5 TFL in two years as a starter.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Easily, I'd go with Graham. I like Michigan linemen. IDK who their DL coaches have been over the last few years, but they simply don't let their players rest on their talent. They push them, make them better, and make sure they are giving as much of themselves as physically possible. The DL usually have great size, fundamentals, and strength as well. My thing about DE is this... We will most likely not need a starter, but we will need guys to come in and replace some of the veterans we have at DE, so I doubt DE is addressed early in next year's draft unless something crazy happens. Right now the only position I could see the team viewing as a first round need is WLB (actually "had position" plural until I put a comma after WLB, and couldn't think of anything else) and even that isn't a horrendous situation for us, by any means. Of course we'll see how the season goes, but that is the only position that looks like a first round need to me. If there is a dropoff at C and Cole doesn't fill in well (don't see that happening) Center could be a fairly significant need. If Stacey Andrews doesn't do well and MJG doesn't fill in well (don't see that happening either) RG is a need. If neither Celek or Ingram show the potential to be the future TE (don't see that happening) that makes TE a need. If Demps doesn't perform well I could see FS as a need, but I don't see that happening either. If the team feels Kolb isn't the future QB, that could be addressed early... It really is crazy, all of the talented youth we have on this team. Not only are we set up to win now, but we have the young corp to continue the success in the future.

eaglesalltheway
05-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't see how he isn't a top prospect. Dude's a beast. 18.5 sacks and 29.5 TFL in two years as a starter.

Not getting any arguments from me. Right now, honestly, the only DE i have over him is Carlos Dunlap, and he is a friggin' horse!

Sniper
05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Not getting any arguments from me. Right now, honestly, the only DE i have over him is Carlos Dunlap, and he is a friggin' horse!

I feel like Graham is more polished and a better run defender, but Dunlap's potential is off the charts. Dunlap gets Mario Williams comparisons, but to me his game is more like Dwight Freeney's.

eaglesalltheway
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I feel like Graham is more polished and a better run defender, but Dunlap's potential is off the charts. Dunlap gets Mario Williams comparisons, but to me his game is more like Dwight Freeney's.

In terms of potential, I think Graham and Dunlap have a similar floor, and while Graham has a relatively high ceiling, with Dunlap (just like Mario Willams), you begin to wonder if there is a ceiling. Graham is a great run defender, which is one of the reasons I like him so much. The scary thing about Dunlap for me though, is that he is still relatively raw and his game is very, very good. He is a decent run defender, and has almost everything you want as a pass rusher, plus his measurables are insane. I don't like the Freeney comparison, even though Freeney is better in run support than given credit for. Freeney is much smaller than Dunlap and I think Dunlap has better strength already. He does need to work on the run support, but I think once Dunlap reaches his potential, the Mario Willams comparisons will be spot on.

Sniper
05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
The Freeney comparison has nothing to do with size and a lot more to do with playing style.

eaglesalltheway
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Well in terms of playing style right now, then I agree, but with Dunlap's frame, once he reaches his potential and becomes the player that he will be, he will be a more balanced DE than Freeney IMO, and will have a bigger impact in the running game as well as being an elite pass rusher.

Thumper
05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Just a side note, those of you who are hoping to get Maclin some playtime in the slot, give it up. He is being worked out as the X receiver and that is all. DeSean is the Z receiver and Curtis is currently the X but if Maclin can improve, Maclin will start at X and move Curtis to the Y spot.

X: Also known as the split-end position, the X is the guy who plays on the line. This receiver is usually either strong enough to just push guys trying to press them off for example Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Terrell Owens, or the guy is very good with his hands to rip underneath the press and get into his route quickly examples of this are Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt.

The Y or slot guy is usually a good route runner who has strong hands and is very quick. You often see teams play their best man-to-man corner against the slot because it is so tough to defend. Examples of very good slot receivers are Wes Welker and Kevin Curtis.

The Z WR or flanker lines up off the line to avoid the press. He is usually the deep threat of the offense. This player has to be quick into his routes, and you usually see this player run deep routes and screens than the X. Examples include Marvin Harrison and Chad Ocho Cinco.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Just a side note, those of you who are hoping to get Maclin some playtime in the slot, give it up. He is being worked out as the X receiver and that is all. DeSean is the Z receiver and Curtis is currently the X but if Maclin can improve, Maclin will start at X and move Curtis to the Y spot.

X: Also known as the split-end position, the X is the guy who plays on the line. This receiver is usually either strong enough to just push guys trying to press them off for example Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Terrell Owens, or the guy is very good with his hands to rip underneath the press and get into his route quickly examples of this are Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt.

The Y or slot guy is usually a good route runner who has strong hands and is very quick. You often see teams play their best man-to-man corner against the slot because it is so tough to defend. Examples of very good slot receivers are Wes Welker and Kevin Curtis.

The Z WR or flanker lines up off the line to avoid the press. He is usually the deep threat of the offense. This player has to be quick into his routes, and you usually see this player run deep routes and screens than the X. Examples include Marvin Harrison and Chad Ocho Cinco.

Didn't know what Maclin's situation was, but I can't say I was surprised by the move. Maclin may not have the strength of some of those guys, but he has good hands and is stronger than given credit for. That is a good explanation of the positions as well. I knew what each was, however, many people, even on here, don't know the nuances of each separate position.

Sniper
05-14-2009, 12:05 PM

I wasn't. I'm a big advocate of Curtis not being a starting WR.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I wasn't. I'm a big advocate of Curtis not being a starting WR.

The way I see it, if we are better off with Curtis starting this season, that is how it should be. The team shouldn't rush Maclin. If he develops like DeSean did, I'd be all for that move, of course.

Sniper
05-14-2009, 12:14 PM
The way I see it, if we are better off with Curtis starting this season, that is how it should be. The team shouldn't rush Maclin. If he develops like DeSean did, I'd be all for that move, of course.

Obviously, they shouldn't rush him. I just want Curtis out of the X and into the slot.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Obviously, they shouldn't rush him. I just want Curtis out of the X and into the slot.

Agreed, that is where he made his biggest impact in St. Louis, and I think he could have a nice impact there for us as well. It really is scary with all the versatile weapons this offense has. We could have defenses so confused with all of our players, it is just insane.

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Well Garret Reid is back in jail...

It sucks to say, but it really is true. A ****up is a ****up, and almost nothing will change that.

What type of idiot shows up in court in a "different state of mind"?

This shouldn't affect things too much, but its just another distraction we don't need. It seems we've fixed the Sheldon Brown dilemma, and right after that, we have this... I don't remember who said it, but no one can ever say our off-seasons aren't exciting.

Sniper
05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Well Garret Reid is back in jail...

It sucks to say, but it really is true. A ****up is a ****up, and almost nothing will change that.

What type of idiot shows up in court in a "different state of mind"?

He probably told Pops that they should run the ball more, and so Andy smacked him so hard that it changed his "state of mind".

eaglesalltheway
05-14-2009, 01:25 PM
He probably told Pops that they should run the ball more, and so Andy smacked him so hard that it changed his "state of mind".

I wonder if Tammy (Reid's wife, right?) told him to run the ball more, and since then he's been holding out sex.

I doubt she's complaining...

Go_Eagles77
05-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Definitely sucks. AR seemed really happy with the way his team looked then his son has to **** up and take Andy's mind off of football again.

eaglesalltheway
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Definitely sucks. AR seemed really happy with the way his team looked then his son has to **** up and take Andy's mind off of football again.

This doesn't change much, as far as I can tell. Garret goes from one facility where he doesn't get out to another, and he won't see his family that much. It sucks because now its just another thing Andy has to think about it. Hopefully Garret gets this stuff straightened out this time. I had neighbors who were into drugs like him, and as soon as they got real jail time, it turned them around (at least it seems) in that respect. Maybe some actual jail time will straighten him out too.

Sniper
05-17-2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Lito_blasts_the_Eagles.html

Sheppard said the Eagles purposely limited his playing time last season to send a message and to justify the signing of free agent Asante Samuel.

Right, dickhead. It has nothing to do with the fact that you got abused like a ginger stepchild.

"He ultimately won't even be playing before the end of the season. It's a known fact. I hope they prove me wrong."

If he plays like you did, you're right, he won't play.

Shut the **** up and learn how to cover, asshole.

superman8456
05-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Can we get back to talking football or are we going to continue to talk about Andy Reids personal life, which has already been proven has no consequence how he coaches/manages the Eagles?

Chris Gocong is on a contract year, do you guys think we'll resign him?

Thumper
05-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Can we get back to talking football or are we going to continue to talk about Andy Reids personal life, which has already been proven has no consequence how he coaches/manages the Eagles?

Actually it has been proven to affect the Eagles. The first year this all came through, the Eagles weren't doing very well.

Yes we will resign Gocong, he is a great fit at SLB in the Eagles scheme and that doesn't happen often so, yes.

eaglesalltheway
05-17-2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Lito_blasts_the_Eagles.html

Right, dickhead. It has nothing to do with the fact that you got abused like a ginger stepchild.

If he plays like you did, you're right, he won't play.

Shut the **** up and learn how to cover, asshole.

Absolutely Sniper, agreed 100%. He got his PT at the beginning of the year, until he proved worthless, then we had a guy who actually wanted to play in Hanson, and he did a hell of a better job in comparison to Lito, so he earned the PT. He needs to shut up and deal with the reality that he sucked last season and he may have done it to spite the organization, which i think this story is another example of.

eaglesalltheway
05-17-2009, 10:45 PM

Well no one was talking about anything, and this had everything to do with the team, so it deserved being brought up. No one made a big deal or said it'd affect the team. It did when everything started to go down, but as I said in previous posts, with the situation now, it isn't going to be a big change.

I hope so, he has steadily improved in every aspect since his pick, especially in the run game, and is a piece of our run stuffing front 7. I hope they do, and I think they will try to him as well. It remains to be seen wether he will go for the deal or not, since he could be very valuable to a 3-4 team, especially if he improves his pass rush this season.

Go_Eagles77
05-18-2009, 06:08 AM
I think if Gocong proves to not be an above-average starter this year, the eagles should still keep him around because he can be a great role player. I would love to see him work more from a joker position where he can get more sacks. That would be ideal if Joe Mays can make the active roster and they can put him in the middle and slide Bradly over to SLB every now and then.

eaglesalltheway
05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I think if Gocong proves to not be an above-average starter this year, the eagles should still keep him around because he can be a great role player. I would love to see him work more from a joker position where he can get more sacks. That would be ideal if Joe Mays can make the active roster and they can put him in the middle and slide Bradly over to SLB every now and then.

I would like that, but I doubt that would be the most common alignment if that would happen for Gocong this season. I think they would still use him predominantly as a SLB. He's been an SLB for 3 years if you count this coming season, they aren't going to change that.

JHG722
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Eagles sign former Temple QB Adam DiMichele!!!!!!! :D

eaglesalltheway
05-18-2009, 03:42 PM
I think we have our version of Scotty....

brat316
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
How about JJ not being around during OTAs?

Not really a big deal, just helps Mcdermott get time as being the head guy.

Hopefully JJ isn't going to be out for the season or training camp, but if he is McDermott hopefully will fill in without missing a beat.

Thumper
05-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Eagles have signed Jamaal Jackson's brother FAU's DT Jervonte Jackson who is 6'5" and 350 pounds.

superman8456
05-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I wonder if Chris Clemons could play any SLB. He ended last season with a bang, and I cant wait to see what he can do next season.

Thumper
05-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I wonder if Chris Clemons could play any SLB. He ended last season with a bang, and I cant wait to see what he can do next season.

he is certainly athletic enough. He runs like a gazelle.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 06:15 AM
How about JJ not being around during OTAs?

Not really a big deal, just helps Mcdermott get time as being the head guy.

Hopefully JJ isn't going to be out for the season or training camp, but if he is McDermott hopefully will fill in without missing a beat.

It is a little disappointing he won't be around more, but just like when Reid had his leave of absence, it shouldn't directly affect the team during the time he is gone.

I just hope JJ can get better ASAP, and stays that way.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 06:18 AM

IIRC, he saw some time at SLB before he came here, and has seen some time in our hybrid DE/LB position, or Joker. He can play it. But right now, Gocong is our best option for SLB. His athletecism is very underrated, and he has shown he can do a solid job there. I thyink we will see him mostly as an End, and will see some time in that Joker position as well.

Sniper
05-19-2009, 08:43 AM
EATW and Chris Gocong are getting married next week. I call best man! :D

Go_Eagles77
05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I'll skip the ceremony but I'll be at the reception. Haha.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 02:22 PM

LOL, well, if its not Abiamiri, he must be the best man, sorry Sniper. I'll put you in charge of the bachelor party though if you wish, haha.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Seriously though, Gocong is the best option for full time SLB, am I right;)...?

Sniper
05-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Seriously though, Gocong is the best option for full time SLB, am I right;)...?

Yeah, he is. I see Clemons as a DE.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah, he is. I see Clemons as a DE.

That was a test. You have earned best man.... lol

Sniper
05-19-2009, 02:33 PM
That was a test. You have earned best man.... lol

Abiamiri's not going to be able to make it. He's attending LaMarr Woodley's "How to pass rush and be an insane beast" camp on the same day to learn from the master.

brat316
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I think the Eagles could still draft a better SLB.

Also Mays is good on run only downs, on passing downs he just doesn't have the hips or speed. That is why he is a great ST player, he tackles the hell out of the guy, as long as he has to fly in one direction he is great.

Eaglez.Fan
05-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't see anywhere in the last couple pages, anything about Jim Johnson. If anyone didn't hear, he took an indefinite leave of absence, to continue his chemo. Sean McDermott will take his place for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure if he is planing on returning to the team by the season (obviously it depends on his health). But for his sake I hope he does coach this year, even if his health doesn't improve it would do wonders for him personally, I'm sure.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Abiamiri's not going to be able to make it. He's attending LaMarr Woodley's "How to pass rush and be an insane beast" camp on the same day to learn from the master.

That explains why LaMaar turned down the invitation. Fortunately, Chris's parents are loaded and its a whole weekend type of deal, Thursday through Sunday...
I contacted LaMaar about this and he said he will be for one of the days, he hasn't told me whether it'll be Thursday or Friday...

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I think the Eagles could still draft a better SLB.

Also Mays is good on run only downs, on passing downs he just doesn't have the hips or speed. That is why he is a great ST player, he tackles the hell out of the guy, as long as he has to fly in one direction he is great.

The only SLB in this class that I thought would be better was Clint Sintim. There are some good OLB prospect for next year, but many of them are WLB prospects, and luckily for us, WLB is a bigger need than SLB right now.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't see anywhere in the last couple pages, anything about Jim Johnson. If anyone didn't hear, he took an indefinite leave of absence, to continue his chemo. Sean McDermott will take his place for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure if he is planing on returning to the team by the season (obviously it depends on his health). But for his sake I hope he does coach this year, even if his health doesn't improve it would do wonders for him personally, I'm sure.

I heard about it yesterday, but this is tough news. I believe McDermott will be a great coach, and this time will be very valuable for him, but we all know JJ is what has put our defense atop the league in recent memory. i too hope he makes a complete and speedy recovery, but if not, I'm sure he will be with the team in some capacity. He seemed in good spirits and relativley good health at the OTAs.

bsaza2358
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I see JJ coming back during training camp, but taking the next few months to get everything health wise straightened out. If this means SD is the new DC, so be it. JJ is still an amazing coach, but Reid kept McDermitt around for a reason. He is the DC in waiting and was the backup plan anyway. I think they'd prefer him getting another year under his belt, but if they didn't think he was ready, they would have brought in someone.

eaglesalltheway
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I see JJ coming back during training camp, but taking the next few months to get everything health wise straightened out. If this means SD is the new DC, so be it. JJ is still an amazing coach, but Reid kept McDermitt around for a reason. He is the DC in waiting and was the backup plan anyway. I think they'd prefer him getting another year under his belt, but if they didn't think he was ready, they would have brought in someone.

Agreed, on pretty much everything. I see JJ coming back, otherwise he'd just retire, at least you'd think. I think JJ will be back right before TC, and will resume his duties...

eaglesalltheway
05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/sports/football/14eagles.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&ref=sports

Very good article about Shawn Andrews and what he has gone through and is going through. Its fairly long read, but easily worth it...

Edit: Its two pages, and I suggest reading the whole article...

Sniper
05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/sports/football/14eagles.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&ref=sports

Very good article about Shawn Andrews and what he has gone through and is going through. Its fairly long read, but easily worth it...

Others began treating him differently, he said. Before his rookie season, he said that one longtime Arkansas friend asked him, “How much are you worth?” Then the friend asked for help in paying child support, rent and a car loan. After he declined, Andrews said, the friend invited him to a deer-hunting camp. Another friend later warned that he was being set up to be shot in what would look like a hunting accident, Andrews said.

Crazy people out there.

Go_Eagles77
05-20-2009, 03:35 PM
WTF? That's messed up...

JHG722
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM

My friend's girlfriend's dad wrote that article. He was on Daily News Live the other day.

Sniper
05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2009/5/20/880774/pisa-tinoisamoa-scheduled-to-visit

Pina Tinoisamoa is visiting the Eagles. Certainly wouldn't mind him at the WILL spot.

Sniper
05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/UnofficialDepthChart.asp

Depth chart's out. LeSean McCoy is already listed ahead of Lorenzo Booker, haha.

Looks like Shawn Andrews is officially the right tackle, as expected. I like it.

superman8456
05-20-2009, 08:40 PM
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2009/5/20/880774/pisa-tinoisamoa-scheduled-to-visit

Pina Tinoisamoa is visiting the Eagles. Certainly wouldn't mind him at the WILL spot.

He would have to move out Omar Gaither or Akeem Jordan from the spot, which isnt that likely, but both Omar and Akeem and FA's next offseason.

Sniper
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
He would have to move out Omar Gaither or Akeem Jordan from the spot, which isnt that likely, but both Omar and Akeem and FA's next offseason.

I disagree that it's not likely.

superman8456
05-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I disagree that it's not likely.

Not likely what? That Omar Gaither resigns? or this guy signs?

If its Omar Gaither, well, he is a very Philadelphia friendly athlete and liked, but he isnt a starter and he'll probably want starter money.

Sorry, I know understand. Its still quite iffy imo

Sniper
05-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Not likely what? That Omar Gaither resigns? or this guy signs?

If its Omar Gaither, well, he is a very Philadelphia friendly athlete and liked, but he isnt a starter and he'll probably want starter money.

I feel like Pisa can beat out Gaither and Jordan.

superman8456
05-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe, but I'd rather get an OLB in next years draft.

On another note, 49ers CB went down with ACL tear. Any chance Sheldon is on the move?

Todd Bertuzzi
05-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Sheldon's not going anywhere.

cunningham06
05-21-2009, 02:49 AM

According to KFFL:
Eagles | Tinoisamoa not visiting
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Wed, 20 May 2009 14:37:40 -0700

Contrary to a previous report, The Philadelphia Daily News reports the Philadelphia Eagles are not scheduled to meet with unrestricted free-agent LB Pisa Tinoisamoa (Rams) next week, according to sources.

So there are two possibilities here. Either he's really not visiting the Eagles, or we are about to sign him. We love that reverse psychology, people never catch on to the fact that we actually like someone even though we say we aren't interested.... ;)

Go_Eagles77
05-21-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm personally glad they aren't going after him. Rams fans were thrilled when he was cut and I'm not sure he would be anything more than a backup for us anyway.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Crazy people out there.

I saw that and I feel that is a window into what some NFL players have to deal with, which is a shame. I know people say money is the root of all evil, and it is partially true, but it'd be more accurate if it included people wanting more... I mean that guy didn't do a thing to earn that money, so why would he expect to get some? I guess there is something wrong with our society when people expect to get things for free, let alone killhen they don't get it.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2009, 06:20 AM
My friend's girlfriend's dad wrote that article. He was on Daily News Live the other day.

Then, I'd instruct your friend to tell his girlfriend to tell her dad that article was exceptional...:).

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Sheldon's not going anywhere.

Not this year anyway. I said the same thing this time last year about Lito, he isn't going anywhere this year. I figured he'd be traded around draft time, and he was. Now for whatever reason, I think Sheldon will be sticking around longer, and I think during that time, the team can patch things up with him. I think he will remain an Eagle until his contract expires (at least) in 4 years.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Depending on the contract, I wouldn't mind the signing at all, if it was shorrt and relatively cheap, I'd be all for it actually. Worst case scenario we have a guy who will be a backup WILL who can play at the same level of our starter. Best case scenario we have a situation like we had with Takeo Spikes, which was a decent situation for us. I'm fine with what we have at WILL right now, but if we brought him in, I would like the move, as I feel we could use an upgrade at WILL, and Tinoisamoa could be an upgrade at the postion. And we could still draft a youg WILL next year, and depending on the length of the contract, he may not even be around too long.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2009, 06:34 AM
On a side note: The Eagles have recently gotten some guys who have crazy last names. Tupou, Fokou, Fanaika, Mailei. Tinoisamoa would be just another, haha. And guys who will be seeing increased rolls with last names that will be tough for some announcers like Abiamiri and Ikegwuonu. Now of those rookies I think only Tupou will make the team, but this pre-season will be fun watching announcers stumble over these names.

Sniper
05-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Not this year anyway. I said the same thing this time last year about Lito, he isn't going anywhere this year. I figured he'd be traded around draft time, and he was. Now for whatever reason, I think Sheldon will be sticking around longer, and I think during that time, the team can patch things up with him. I think he will remain an Eagle until his contract expires (at least) in 4 years.

What's this crazy talk about honoring your contract about? Don't you know one good year means you can start throwing hissy fits for raises?

JHG722
05-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Then, I'd instruct your friend to tell his girlfriend to tell her dad that article was exceptional...:).

Okay ;) ;)

brat316
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
On a side note: The Eagles have recently gotten some guys who have crazy last names. Tupou, Fokou, Fanaika, Mailei. Tinoisamoa would be just another, haha. And guys who will be seeing increased rolls with last names that will be tough for some announcers like Abiamiri and Ikegwuonu. Now of those rookies I think only Tupou will make the team, but this pre-season will be fun watching announcers stumble over these names.

Don't forget Nate Ilaoa

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Okay ;) ;)

Do it, do it now!:)

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Don't forget Nate Ilaoa

Of course, but I was just thinking about guys currently on the roster.

Sniper
05-21-2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/bob_fords_post_patterns/Sean_Jones_Wants_To_Be_Your_Safety.html

He's a big guy, 6-foot-1 and 225 pounds

Seems a little hefty for a safety. Hopefully he trims down a bit before the season. I'm not a big fan of safeties who are over 210ish as they tend to lose their speed unless they're freaks.

Sniper
05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/45460232.html

Peters fluff. Pretty interesting stuff, though.

eaglesalltheway
05-22-2009, 06:21 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/bob_fords_post_patterns/Sean_Jones_Wants_To_Be_Your_Safety.html

Seems a little hefty for a safety. Hopefully he trims down a bit before the season. I'm not a big fan of safeties who are over 210ish as they tend to lose their speed unless they're freaks.

To my knowledge, he's played at that weight for much of his career, and I'm perfectly fine with that weight. When you see him play, it isn't like its a burden on him or anything, so i wouldn't be too worried about it Sniper. If he does win the SSjob, and Mikell is moved to FS, he can still cover ground well, and with Mikell's range, we can still cover more ground than we did last year with Dawk and Mikell. But all indications are that Demps is in the lead right now, and will be the FS, so this conversation may be a moot point unless there is an injury.

eaglesalltheway
05-22-2009, 06:27 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/45460232.html

Peters fluff. Pretty interesting stuff, though.

I was reading that, and I got about one third of the way through, and figured I knew pretty much the rest of it. My dad likes restoring old cars, and some of it has rubbed off on me, so this is really nothing I haven't heard about a million times. Right now he's got a 72 Cutlass he's working on. Now we don't have Peter's disposable income, so its only one car at a time for us, lol. I was hoping for some pictures, even though they don't sound like my cup o' tea, but its ok...

I like that he's got a conversion van though, so do I, haha.

Eaglez.Fan
05-22-2009, 04:22 PM
After reading that Jones article, I love that every safety thinks they should start no question. This competition could do miles towards Demps' development. I think we all assumed Jones would find the starting line-up when he was signed but it is really wide open. It's tough for him to start though because of the pro-bowl caliber SS that lies in front of him, not to mention the fact that he is more of a SS then FS, so Demps has the advantage on him also. I really can't wait for training camp and reading about the battles in the secondary.

Go_Eagles77
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Even if Jones is a backup, I think he will still be playing a lot on defense in different packages and stuff. I think it was mentioned a bunch of times, but I can really see him playing a lot closer to the line of scrimmage in the Safety/LB hybrid position that made Dawk a pro-bowler last year.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 11:08 AM
After reading that Jones article, I love that every safety thinks they should start no question. This competition could do miles towards Demps' development. I think we all assumed Jones would find the starting line-up when he was signed but it is really wide open. It's tough for him to start though because of the pro-bowl caliber SS that lies in front of him, not to mention the fact that he is more of a SS then FS, so Demps has the advantage on him also. I really can't wait for training camp and reading about the battles in the secondary.

I always figured Demps had the edge, I don't know about the rest of you guys... And I beleived it because of the reasons you said, Mikell is ahead of him, and unless they plan on moving Mikell, Jones wouldn't start at SS. Other reasons for me included how much PT Demps got last year.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Even if Jones is a backup, I think he will still be playing a lot on defense in different packages and stuff. I think it was mentioned a bunch of times, but I can really see him playing a lot closer to the line of scrimmage in the Safety/LB hybrid position that made Dawk a pro-bowler last year.

Agreed, we will see a lot of formations with 3 Safeties, just like last year.

Sniper
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I always figured Demps had the edge, I don't know about the rest of you guys... And I beleived it because of the reasons you said, Mikell is ahead of him, and unless they plan on moving Mikell, Jones wouldn't start at SS. Other reasons for me included how much PT Demps got last year.

I think that in this scheme, there's less of an emphasis on the FS/SS terms. You need to be able to cover to play in this scheme. Look at the departures of Michael Lewis, Sean Considine and Brian Dawkins. When it was deemed that their coverage skills has decreased, they were deemed expendable. Jones is a classic SS type, but if he can't cover worth a ****, he won't play.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I think that in this scheme, there's less of an emphasis on the FS/SS terms. You need to be able to cover to play in this scheme. Look at the departures of Michael Lewis, Sean Considine and Brian Dawkins. When it was deemed that their coverage skills has decreased, they were deemed expendable. Jones is a classic SS type, but if he can't cover worth a ****, he won't play.

He can cover, its just he is great in run support. He is a fine cover guy, but his strengths are easily in the run game. he does have a knack for picks, to an extent, but he isn't a spectacular safety in coverage, either, though he is good.

Sniper
05-23-2009, 12:07 PM
He can cover, its just he is great in run support. He is a fine cover guy, but his strengths are easily in the run game. he does have a knack for picks, to an extent, but he isn't a spectacular safety in coverage, either, though he is good.

Eh, I'm a bit of a skeptic about his pass coverage abilities. I hope I'm wrong, though. I like the fact that they have three good safeties, though. I also have high hopes for Macho Harris as a FS.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20090522_Rich_Hofmann__For_Eagles__Tupou__it_was_t he__100_handshake_that_ate_his_lunch.html

Nice read on Feniki Tupou.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 12:12 PM
That's a tough situation to be put in, I can't honestly say for sure if I'd have handled it any differently. I've liked him for a while, but this article makes me like him just a little bit more.

Sniper
05-23-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=550635

This list is garbage. It ranks Trent Cole as the league's 15th best DE, below studs like Igor Olshansky, Andre Carter and Adewale Ogunleye.

Fail.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd put him somewhere in the 9-11 range, I think the top of the list is OK, but after you get past Tuck, it reeeeeaally takes a turn for the worst.

Sniper
05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd put him somewhere in the 9-11 range, I think the top of the list is OK, but after you get past Tuck, it reeeeeaally takes a turn for the worst.

Well, they also thought Brandon Jacobs was the NFL's third-best RB, so these lists are a bit out there.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, they also thought Brandon Jacobs was the NFL's third-best RB, so these lists are a bit out there.

And I thought I liked Brandon Jacobs. I'm sorry, but that **** is crazy, lol.

Eaglez.Fan
05-23-2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=550635

This list is garbage. It ranks Trent Cole as the league's 15th best DE, below studs like Igor Olshansky, Andre Carter and Adewale Ogunleye.

Fail.

Yeah, that is pretty brutal. The only reason they gave for Olshansky being that high is that he is in a 34 defense. I'd also slid Mario into the 3nd hole, being that IMO, he is a better overall DE than Freeney.

And, good read on Tupou, seems like a really good kid.

Sniper
05-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, that is pretty brutal. The only reason they gave for Olshansky being that high is that he is in a 34 defense. I'd also slid Mario into the 3nd hole, being that IMO, he is a better overall DE than Freeney.

And, good read on Tupou, seems like a really good kid.

Olshansky really isn't that good, though. And I'd put Mario at #2.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 01:13 PM

I like Olshansky. He was an underrated member of that defense when in San Diego. He may not be a pass rush specialist, but he is very stout and holds up against the run very well. That was the highlight of the Cowboys off-season IMO.

Sniper
05-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I like Olshansky. He was an underrated member of that defense when in San Diego. He may not be a pass rush specialist, but he is very stout and holds up against the run very well. That was the highlight of the Cowboys off-season IMO.

He's okay, but certainly not an elite DE, or even a top 20 DE.

Dallas wishes they could have TEH SEX known as Brodrick Bunkley in their 3-4, haha.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2009, 01:18 PM
He's okay, but certainly not an elite DE, or even a top 20 DE.

Dallas wishes they could have TEH SEX known as Brodrick Bunkley in their 3-4, haha.

He certainly isn't an elite DE by any means, but based off of what was asked of him in SD, I think he is a top 25 DE at least, and could squeak into the top 20. I like good run stuffing DL though...

And don't even think about Bunk in Dallas, it just sent chills through my spine...

Todd Bertuzzi
05-23-2009, 04:24 PM
I like Olshansky as a solid 3-4 DE, but he certainly is not as good as Cole.

Also Tupou is a good kid, but I'm not too big on his abilities. From what I've seen of him he has pretty bad foot work which allows DEs to push him around a lot and dominate him. In a division like the NFC East with such good DEs I just can't see him being more than 2nd or 3rd string tackle.

Thumper
05-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I like Olshansky as a solid 3-4 DE, but he certainly is not as good as Cole.

Also Tupou is a good kid, but I'm not too big on his abilities. From what I've seen of him he has pretty bad foot work which allows DEs to push him around a lot and dominate him. In a division like the NFC East with such good DEs I just can't see him being more than 2nd or 3rd string tackle.

which is why he is moving to guard.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/

the #1 story.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah I expected they would move him there where he'll be better, but I still don't think he'll ever be more than a backup especially with the young depth we already have at guard in McGlynn, MJG and even Cole.

cunningham06
05-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Shoot, I really like Jared Allen, but I'd slide Mario to #1. The end opposite him, Anthony Weaver, had a mind blowing 0 sacks in 16 starts, whereas Okoye and Johnson each contributed just one sack each.

Allen plays next to the best DT tandem in the NFL, whereas Mario got no help last season from the rest of the D-Line and still dominated. He constantly gets double and even triple teamed, and most plays ran away from him, but he still made plays. Mario's the tits, and would be the first DE I'd take if I had the option.

But Trent Cole not being in the top 10 is a crime. Dwight Freeney being as high as he is is also worrisome, but Cole is absolutely more of a game changer than Olshansky, Aaron Smith, Adewale Ogunleye, John Abraham, and especially Andre Carter (WTF????)

Sniper
05-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Eh, you're probably right, cunningham. I love Mario and I think he's fantastic. I didn't think about the Williams Wall next to Allen when I posted.

eaglesalltheway
05-24-2009, 09:39 AM
which is why he is moving to guard.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/

the #1 story.

Well then that pretty much solidifies Justice staying as the backup RT and that also means Tupou has very little chance of making the team. With the guards being Stacey Andrews, Todd Herremans, MJG, and Mike McGlynn, there is almost no shot of him making the roster. However, he might find a way onto the PS or be IRed.

Thumper
05-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Well then that pretty much solidifies Justice staying as the backup RT and that also means Tupou has very little chance of making the team. With the guards being Stacey Andrews, Todd Herremans, MJG, and Mike McGlynn, there is almost no shot of him making the roster. However, he might find a way onto the PS or be IRed.

Well remember that MJG and Stacy Andrews are coming off of injuries and I read somewhere that MJG is only about 60% and he won't be ready for Training Camp. Also both Nick Cole's and MJG's contracts expire next year. There will be room especially if Tupou can play to his potential. Tupou is a big and strong guy who spent his time opening holes for Jonathan Stewart, Jeremiah Johnson and LaGarette Blount. Tupou like you said might be moved to the PS, but I can't imagine him lasting very long. His versatility might just be his saving grace because he can play RT and both guard spots.

Thumper
05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
How about Cornelius Ingram? Everything I read about this guy is good.

His blocking is impressing the coaches... Ingram presents President Obama a Florida Jersey... Ingram has no repercussions of his injury... etc. etc.

This guy might just be REALLY good.

cunningham06
05-24-2009, 11:33 AM

I'm really hoping that Justice can be a good RT, or at least be a very solid backup. The kid had so much potential and was so good in college. I want to know where that potential went!

cunningham06
05-24-2009, 11:44 AM

His blocking is impressing the coaches... Ingram presents President Obama a Florida Jersey... Ingram has no repercussions of his injury... etc. etc.

I'm a HUGE Cornelius Ingram fan. While some say he's just a 5th rounder, that really doesn't have much to do with how good he can be. The fact that he fell so far is largely due to his injury last season, and if he's fully recovered than he is a huge steal where we got him. I like Brent Celek too, but Ingram has a much higher ceiling and could be the starter one day.

brat316
05-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I figure, if Sh. Andrews gets injured, they'll bump Stacy over and start him first before Justice. MJG did pretty damn good starting last year at RG.

I wonder if MJG could beat out Stacy for the RG spot?

Go_Eagles77
05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I figure, if Sh. Andrews gets injured, they'll bump Stacy over and start him first before Justice. MJG did pretty damn good starting last year at RG.

That's what I'm thinking, I think because of the versatility of our starting OGs (Herremans can slide out to LT and Stacy Andrews can slide out to RT), it gives the eagles the ability to carry either less O-Lineman all together or just carry more Guards than Tackles. Plus with Cole he can play G but he will probably be listed at C.

Sniper
05-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't see Justice ever playing a meaningful snap again...

Thumper
05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DW6n5rD0DTg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DW6n5rD0DTg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

superman8456
05-24-2009, 11:15 PM
This is my take on the Eagles offseason and some of the players we've acquired.

Leonard Weaver is more than just a "traditional fullback". He is one of the few FB's in the league that you have to account for on every single play. He is a solid blocker (better than we've had as of late), talented runner, and a fantastic catcher out of the backfield. This is the makings of a very dynamic player that could excel in the West Coast system. A lot of the reports from our minicamp last week was about how much Weaver actually got the ball in his hands.

Im not going to hop on Stacy Andrews dick. He has a lot to prove, especially coming off a major knee injury. The reports say he is recovering fine, but it still leaves me with some doubts. Rumors out of the camp are that he is going to playing RG and his brother (Shawn Andrews) will be trying RT out. Jason Peters may not have had the best season last year, but there can be numerous things you can blame it on. He is still a HUGE upgrade in the run blocking department. Jason Peters is an absolute mauler, as opposed to Tra Thomas who isnt that great. I think the best thing about our offensive line isnt our starters, but our depth and versatility. Max Jean Gilles is a pretty damn good back up, and Nick Cole can hold his own.

Our WR's werent that bad. We have a pretty good group of guys, but our two starters were hurt in the beginning of the season. We lost Reggie Brown for the whole season basically and Kevin Curtis was injured for a good half of the season. This made DeSean take a bigger role, and he took his opportunity and ran with it. We added good depth in Brandon Gibson and a potential starter in Jeremy Maclin. None of these guys have to come in their rookie year and make an immediate impact.

Our TE's are not the best, but they arent terrible either. We brought in Cornelius Ingram to add some athleticism and receiving threat to the position. Brent Celek is a great receiving threat, but can work on blocking. Hes a willing blocker, so thats at least a start.

Our running game hasnt necessarily changed that much, although we did add LeSean McCoy, but I think the biggest thing is getting a healthy Westbrook back.

The scariest thing about the Eagles is our speed on offense.

Thumper
05-24-2009, 11:22 PM
^^^
Speed is the hallmark of the Eagles offense this year. The offense can spread a defense out anyway they want to. With Jackson, Curtis and Maclin the receivers will require constant attention and over the top help which will free up Ingram and Celek. The offense is going to be hell for a LB because now they have to worry about covering Celek, Ingram, McCoy, Weaver and Westbrook, not to mention they get to try and penetrate the great wall of Philly and try and tackle McNabb which is at times pretty hard to do, hell D-Mac might even be our best short yardage runner at 6'2" and 250 pounds.

brat316
05-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe Reid is trying to run some 4 WR sets/spread offense?

Sniper
05-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Other than the ones they've already run?

Sniper
05-25-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=552520

SN's top 20 MLBs. Stewart Bradley isn't on the list, and neither is Michigan's best MLB of the past 10 years, David Harris. I'm literally stunned.

Go_Eagles77
05-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Antonio Pierce's fat ass is so over-rated.

cunningham06
05-25-2009, 12:51 PM

SN's top 20 MLBs. Stewart Bradley isn't on the list, and neither is Michigan's best MLB of the past 10 years, David Harris. I'm literally stunned.

Snipe did you go to Michigan, or do you just have mad broner love for their players?

Edit: Karlos Dansby over Ray Lewis? Who pays people to compile these terrible rankings?

If only we had Curtis Lofton, since according to this he's better than Bradley....

Sniper
05-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Snipe did you go to Michigan, or do you just have mad broner love for their players?

I've just been a fan for a long time. I grew up as a UM fan.

eaglesalltheway
05-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Well remember that MJG and Stacy Andrews are coming off of injuries and I read somewhere that MJG is only about 60% and he won't be ready for Training Camp. Also both Nick Cole's and MJG's contracts expire next year. There will be room especially if Tupou can play to his potential. Tupou is a big and strong guy who spent his time opening holes for Jonathan Stewart, Jeremiah Johnson and LaGarette Blount. Tupou like you said might be moved to the PS, but I can't imagine him lasting very long. His versatility might just be his saving grace because he can play RT and both guard spots.

I hope the team makes every effort to re-sign both Cole and MJG, I think both are elite backups (oxymoron? lol) with the potential to be great starters. But also remember the team has McGlynn, now that leaves only one backup guard, and that is a little worrisome if that would be the case. But hopefully the team can get MJG and Cole signed at least. I didn't even think about either OLinemen's contract when thinking about this earlier,b ut knowing that now, I think if Tupou doesn't make the final cut, he will mysteriously get injured right around the time the roster is cut to 53 and go on the IR, as he is great insurance, if neither of those O-linemen can be signed.

eaglesalltheway
05-25-2009, 01:52 PM

his blocking has been better than expected, but lets not confuse him with a blocking TE just yet, haha.

He has had little to no effect from his injury, and seems healthy, and the coaches are exceptionally impressed with his receiving ability. As I said earlier in this thread somewhere, I think he will have more of an impact as a rookie than most people on here expect. Considering the situation, he is the second TE I would've wanted (behind Chase Coffman) but we got Ingram 2 rounds later, and as much as I love Coffman (and Ingram), we really got much better value for Ingram than if we would've gotten Coffman. Consider the moves we made got us a multitude of picks next year as well, and there is even more value. I truly think he can end up being like Shannon Sharpe. I'm not saying he will have his career, but I think he is very similar and will be a great TE in the NFL.

eaglesalltheway
05-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm really hoping that Justice can be a good RT, or at least be a very solid backup. The kid had so much potential and was so good in college. I want to know where that potential went!
I think he will end up beign a solid backup RT. He saw some time in the playoffs last year when Herremans was injured for a series or two, and did well. I just don't think he will ever be a starter.

I'm a HUGE Cornelius Ingram fan. While some say he's just a 5th rounder, that really doesn't have much to do with how good he can be. The fact that he fell so far is largely due to his injury last season, and if he's fully recovered than he is a huge steal where we got him. I like Brent Celek too, but Ingram has a much higher ceiling and could be the starter one day.

I think Ingram will be another huge steal for us. I still think if it wasn't for his injury, he would've been a borderline first rounder in the draft. I too am a fan of Celek, and think both will play importnat roles this season. I see Celek remaining the starter this season, but if Ingram keeps showing the coaches more, he may take over that spot at some point in the season, but right now I think Celek holds onto it for at least this season.

I think if there is an injury to Shawn, I think that'll be the case as well. MJG wold be a starter on almost any other team IMO, but I think with the money Stacey got, it really is a commitment the team has to him to be the starter, unless he starts playing exceptionally poorly or gets injured and MJG never relinquishes the spot back.

eaglesalltheway
05-25-2009, 02:28 PM
This is my take on the Eagles offseason and some of the players we've acquired.

Leonard Weaver is more than just a "traditional fullback". He is one of the few FB's in the league that you have to account for on every single play. He is a solid blocker (better than we've had as of late), talented runner, and a fantastic catcher out of the backfield. This is the makings of a very dynamic player that could excel in the West Coast system. A lot of the reports from our minicamp last week was about how much Weaver actually got the ball in his hands.

Im not going to hop on Stacy Andrews dick. He has a lot to prove, especially coming off a major knee injury. The reports say he is recovering fine, but it still leaves me with some doubts. Rumors out of the camp are that he is going to playing RG and his brother (Shawn Andrews) will be trying RT out. Jason Peters may not have had the best season last year, but there can be numerous things you can blame it on. He is still a HUGE upgrade in the run blocking department. Jason Peters is an absolute mauler, as opposed to Tra Thomas who isnt that great. I think the best thing about our offensive line isnt our starters, but our depth and versatility. Max Jean Gilles is a pretty damn good back up, and Nick Cole can hold his own.

Our WR's werent that bad. We have a pretty good group of guys, but our two starters were hurt in the beginning of the season. We lost Reggie Brown for the whole season basically and Kevin Curtis was injured for a good half of the season. This made DeSean take a bigger role, and he took his opportunity and ran with it. We added good depth in Brandon Gibson and a potential starter in Jeremy Maclin. None of these guys have to come in their rookie year and make an immediate impact.

Our TE's are not the best, but they arent terrible either. We brought in Cornelius Ingram to add some athleticism and receiving threat to the position. Brent Celek is a great receiving threat, but can work on blocking. Hes a willing blocker, so thats at least a start.

Our running game hasnt necessarily changed that much, although we did add LeSean McCoy, but I think the biggest thing is getting a healthy Westbrook back.

The scariest thing about the Eagles is our speed on offense.

Almost everyone here knows how I feel about Weaver. He is more than a "decent" blocker, he is great at it. He is great in pass pro as well as lead blocking. He is great with the ball in his hands, whether it be as a runner or receiver. he is another dynamic threat from the backfield.

Stacey Andrews has a lot to prove, but I think the move to Rg will help him a lot. His mauling style is perfect for the RG in our offense, and the speed that beat him the last few seasons isn't there along the interior as much. He has two guys on each side of him as well, and that will be to his advantage.

Jason Peters will be a monster for us. I truly beleive that. With Juan Catillo barking at him, there will be no way he doesn't play well.

I too am a big fan of our depth. I believe both Cole and MJG could start, but they aren't the only depth we have. Mike McGlynn apparently impresses the coaches a lot, and is at least solid depth at LG, though he is supposedly versatile enough to play along the whole OL, except maybe LT. I'm not sure about the idea of him as a Center though, not sure what type of experience he has there.

King Dunlap was very impressive last year, and from strictly a physical aspect, he is a FREAK. He is at least 6'10 and his arms are incredibly long. He is more of a finesse LT, but he has apparently gained strength since last year and will make more of an impact there. He is solid depth as well. Tons of potential...

Our weakest depth spot is RT, and Justice can be at least solid depth. He looked good in TC last year, in preseason, and in limitted action he saw in games, wherever he played along the OL.

All our linemen are versatile as wellwe have three starters who can play multiple positions, and 3 depth guys who can play multiple positions, if not more. That will help as well if injuries occur.

I am incredibly excited about our WRs now. This could be a top group of WRs in a few years, as long as they develop well. I think it'll be tough for Gibson to make the team. He'd have to beat Reggie Brown for the #6 WR, and I believe the team only keeps 5 WRs this season. I'd like to see him kept around though, I like him.

I like what our TEs bring to the table. Ingram is incredibly athletic and is a great vertical threat. Celek is a tough TE and is tough to bring down. Both are great receivers and need to improve on blocking. I hope Eugene Bright makes the team, as he is a good blocking TE and has upside as a receiver. Both Celek and Ingram can be starters. I see Celek as the starter this year, but Ingram may take over soon.

The running game has improved greatly, and a lot of that is attributted to Leonard Weaver. He will run the ball well and is a great lead blocker. McCoy is a threat with the ball and I think he will have a decent impact this year. I hope the team keeps Eckel as the thrid RB, as we don't really have big RB, at least who isn't naturally a FB, haha.

^^^
Speed is the hallmark of the Eagles offense this year. The offense can spread a defense out anyway they want to. With Jackson, Curtis and Maclin the receivers will require constant attention and over the top help which will free up Ingram and Celek. The offense is going to be hell for a LB because now they have to worry about covering Celek, Ingram, McCoy, Weaver and Westbrook, not to mention they get to try and penetrate the great wall of Philly and try and tackle McNabb which is at times pretty hard to do, hell D-Mac might even be our best short yardage runner at 6'2" and 250 pounds.

Teh speed on the offense is incredible. All over the place we have burners. Our top 3 WRs have elite speed, we have two very fast RBs, a pretty fast FB, and a great vertical threat at TE in Ingram. We can use the speed to attack defenses, and we can use the speed to set up other players, like Celek, Avant, Baskett, and Weaver.

Weaver is our best short yardage runner. He averaged something like 4.7 ypc in Seattle, IIRC. This guy is special.

We have, and we will see it some more, maybe moreso with the additional weapons we have, but I think we will see more formations involving two RBs, whether it be with Westy and Shady or Weaver and Westy/Shady.

eaglesalltheway
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM

I don't think its MLBs, I think its LBs as a whole, because there are some OLBs in there as well. But still, that list sucks really ******* bad, absolutely horrible. Anyone who think Urlacher is still the best LB in the NFL needs to have their brain examined. And this is coming from someone who likes Urlacher. And the Only "top" list Pierce belongs on is on a scale...

Sniper
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't think its MLBs, I think its LBs as a whole, because there are some OLBs in there as well. But still, that list sucks really ******* bad, absolutely horrible. Anyone who think Urlacher is still the best LB in the NFL needs to have their brain examined. And this is coming from someone who likes Urlacher.

It says inside linebackers. The only OLB I see is A.J Hawk, and that's because he played inside a bit last year.

eaglesalltheway
05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
It says inside linebackers. The only OLB I see is A.J Hawk, and that's because he played inside a bit last year.

Still, that list makes me lose it. Absolutely horrble.

brat316
05-25-2009, 06:10 PM
We have, and we will see it some more, maybe moreso with the additional weapons we have, but I think we will see more formations involving two RBs, whether it be with Westy and Shady or Weaver and Westy/Shady.

Well that should kind of be a given, I formations, and using a Fb.

Also more 2 TE sets.

cunningham06
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM

And I believe he will be shifting to ILB in the Packers new 3-4 defense this season, so I think they are projecting on that list quite a bit. Piss poor rankings though.

eaglesalltheway
05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Well that should kind of be a given, I formations, and using a Fb.

Also more 2 TE sets.

Of course, but now that we have a real FB, we will see more formations with the FB prevalent, inclding I formations. Weaver is really going to allow us to use the I formations a lot, and with his abilities as a runner and receiver, we will see plenty of formations like Westy and Buckhalter were in last year as well lined up in all different types of places. We will see plenty of plays where Westy starts in the backfield with Weaver, then Westy splits out wide. We can run with Weaver there or have passing plays. It really is going to be fun to see what the offense can do this season with all the acquisitions, especially Weaver.

superman8456
05-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Cornelius Ingram left minicamp with an injury. More to come about it.

Go_Eagles77
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
It was a contusion in his left knee. Shouldn't be anything to worry about but it was the same knee in which he tore his acl so it does make me worry a bit about his durability.

eaglesalltheway
05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
A contusion is just a deep bruise, though they are worse than normal bruises. This isn't anything to be too worried about at all.

brat316
05-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if he had a small tear. They always list it as a contusion first.

Go_Eagles77
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
A contusion is just a deep bruise, though they are worse than normal bruises. This isn't anything to be too worried about at all.
Which is why I normally wouldn't be worried at all, but the fact that it's the same knee he tore up last year concerns me a little bit that he will continue to have problems with that knee.

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 11:44 AM
As long as it is a contusion, and not a tear like bhaarat says is possible, it is unrelated. If it were a sprain or strain or whatever, then I'd be worried, but a bruise isn't something to be too worried about, unless it is released otherwise.

One of the things I've had in the back of my head is the only thing holding Ingram back right now is injuries. He has surpassed expectations, even the high ones so far, and from what I've heard, the only way he isn't successful is if injuries take ahold of his career. Lets hope that isn't the case though.

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Says on the team site Ingram believes he will be back tomorrow, so it probably is just a contusion. Nothing to worry about, at least right now.

Thumper
05-30-2009, 05:30 PM
The Eagles are adding Brian Stewart to the defense. Brian Stewart, why does that sound so familiar? Oh it is because he was the Cowboy's defensive coordinator this past season.

http://www.beloblog.com/wfaasports/2009/05/sources-former.html

The Philadelphia Eagles are adding former Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart to their staff, according to Matt Mosley of ESPN.com and Joe Trahan of WFAA-TV.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17834

Stewart has a connection with head coach Andy Reid. In the mid 1980s, Reid was the offensive line coach at Northern Arizona and Stewart played at cornerback. Stewart was set to join the San Francisco franchise of the UFL.

Stewart's expertise is in the secondary, which is where Sean McDermott was before he was moved to defensive coordinator in the absence of Jim Johnson who has taken an indefinite leave of absence due to his battle with cancer. Dave Spadaro wrote on Saturday morning that there is no update on Johnson's condition.

Odd, it almost seems like the Eagles have moved on from Jim Johnson with this move. Get well soon JJ and get Stewart out of here because he sucks.

Go_Eagles77
05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I hate to say it but I really can't see JJ coming back. With that said I don't mind bringing in Stewart, sure he's not a great D coordinator but he's a good secondary coach.

Xenos
05-30-2009, 06:42 PM
I hate to say it but I really can't see JJ coming back. With that said I don't mind bringing in Stewart, sure he's not a great D coordinator but he's a good secondary coach.
I personally thought he sucked the big one when he was the secondary coach for San Diego.

Go_Eagles77
05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I personally thought he sucked the big one when he was the secondary coach for San Diego.
I honestly don't even know. I just assumed if he was good enough to be a defensive coordinator in the first place, he had to be doing something right as a position coach, even if it is Wade Phillips who hired him.

eaglesalltheway
05-31-2009, 02:19 PM
The Eagles are adding Brian Stewart to the defense. Brian Stewart, why does that sound so familiar? Oh it is because he was the Cowboy's defensive coordinator this past season.

http://www.beloblog.com/wfaasports/2009/05/sources-former.html

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17834

Odd, it almost seems like the Eagles have moved on from Jim Johnson with this move. Get well soon JJ and get Stewart out of here because he sucks.

I'm neutral on the move. I wouldn't say it seems like the team is moving away from JJ though, more like having more insurance if he can't come back. I think if JJ can come back this season, McDermott will still have those extra responsibilities this season anyway, while still having some responsibilities in the secondary, but Stewart seems like he will be in control of most of it. (For DBs)

Sniper
05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090530/SPORTS02/905300366/1022/Rookies+feeling+ready+for+Reid+s+West+Coast+offens e

Interesting article on the three big offensive rookies learning the offense. I liked this part, though.

"I've been lining up at wide receiver this whole camp," he said. "It's not really just knowing running back stuff here. You've got to know the running back, the wide receivers, everything; the hot reads, the checks. It's a lot to do."

I wouldn't mind seeing McCoy out at WR with Westbrook in the backfield. Not only does it give the Eagles an explosive weapon outside, it benefits the little things like pass-catching and blitz pickup.

Go_Eagles77
05-31-2009, 10:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcnY-KeBAwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcnY-KeBAwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can't wait til the season starts.

Go_Eagles77
06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Stacy Andrews says he's playing guard and Shawn will be at RT, we all expected it but it's nice to hear it from him, I love the move. I think this is the best way to maximize the O-Line's potential.

Link - http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17834

eaglesalltheway
06-01-2009, 01:57 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090530/SPORTS02/905300366/1022/Rookies+feeling+ready+for+Reid+s+West+Coast+offens e

Interesting article on the three big offensive rookies learning the offense. I liked this part, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing McCoy out at WR with Westbrook in the backfield. Not only does it give the Eagles an explosive weapon outside, it benefits the little things like pass-catching and blitz pickup.

Honestly, this is something I've expected since he was signed. We put Westy out wide in some plays, and with Shady being a little quicker by the looks of it, this really doesn't surprise me. We have 2 RBs who can play WR, a FB who can play RB (has played TE as well, but I don't think we'll see much of that, if at all), 2 WRs who can play RB/Wildcat QB, and a TE who can play WR positions. We have such amazing and versatile weapons on these skill positions.

eaglesalltheway
06-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Stacy Andrews says he's playing guard and Shawn will be at RT, we all expected it but it's nice to hear it from him, I love the move. I think this is the best way to maximize the O-Line's potential.

Link - http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17834

Agreed, not only does it maximize the potential like you said, but it seems like both accept the move and actually like it as well.

Sniper
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcnY-KeBAwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcnY-KeBAwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can't wait til the season starts.

That TD was TEH SEX. Too bad the Eagles weren't able to hold on. :(

superman8456
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Marty Mornhinweg has said that Reggie Brown has been impressive in the mini camp a couple weeks ago.

Maybe he might be able to make an impact this season.

Go_Eagles77
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Marty Mornhinweg has said that Reggie Brown has been impressive in the mini camp a couple weeks ago.

It's mini camp. Last year Booker looked like a pro-bowler in training camp and look how that turned out.

Sniper
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
It's mini camp. Last year Booker looked like a pro-bowler in training camp and look how that turned out.

Hahahahahaha. Booker also looked like Emmitt Smith in TC.

bsaza2358
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I think this is nothing more than a ploy to try to move the guy for anything of value. Or, they're trying to keep all of the other WR's on their toes. I think Brown really isn't a bad player. He had success in the past. I like him okay, but obviously, his contract extension was a mistake.

eaglesalltheway
06-03-2009, 06:15 AM

I've heard that too, but for whatever reason, his abilities in minicamp and training camp don't completely work their way into actual games. His only impct will be as a #6 WR, and I don't think we keep 6 WRs, so I can't see him making the team. I think all this talk about him looking good is in hopes that they can get some value on him if he is traded, but if they can't trade him, he'll just end up being a roster cut.

eaglesalltheway
06-03-2009, 06:18 AM
I think this is nothing more than a ploy to try to move the guy for anything of value. Or, they're trying to keep all of the other WR's on their toes. I think Brown really isn't a bad player. He had success in the past. I like him okay, but obviously, his contract extension was a mistake.

With what we have in front of him, I think that is also a possibility, especially our top 3 (DeSean, Curtis, Maclin), moreso for Maclin so he can realize his potential faster. Obviously I agree about the trade, lol.

brat316
06-03-2009, 08:30 AM
How is Maclin top three without doing squat?

Thats like saying Chris Wells it the 20th best Rb this coming season in the NFL.

Sniper
06-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Thats like saying Chris Wells it the 20th best Rb this coming season in the NFL.

It's not even close to saying that.

Go_Eagles77
06-03-2009, 09:15 AM
This is how I see the WR position ending up by the time the season starts.

X - Kevin Curtis / Jeremy Maclin
Z - DeSean Jackson / Hank Baskett
Slot - Jason Avant / Brandon Gibson

Reggie Brown - Traded/Cut

DeSean should be the Z receiver for quite a while and Maclin will get groomed as the future X. Jason Avant is a beast in the slot and I like Brandon Gibson's potential there as well. Kevin Curtis is a nice veteran who is a borderline starter and might have to take a backup role pretty soon if Maclin tears it up and Hank Baskett is really just a stop gap player right now.

bsaza2358
06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Avant will make the team for sure because he contributes on Special Teams. Brown is unlikely to make the roster at this juncture, though perhaps the Eagles carry 6 WR's. Either Baskett or Brown will not be with the team in 2009...

Sniper
06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Avant will make the team for sure because he contributes on Special Teams.

...and because he's got the best hands on the team.

Todd Bertuzzi
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
...and because he's got the best hands on the team.

Avant is clutch. McNabb always seems to find him on 3rd down.

Sniper
06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4228976

Westbrook to have ankle surgery.

superman8456
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4228976

Westbrook to have ankle surgery.

Im happy hes getting it now, instead of putting it off then getting it midseason. His ankle has been troubling him for a little while anyway.

bsaza2358
06-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I have no problem with him getting it out of the way now and being 100% ready to go in training camp. In the meantime, getting more reps for McCoy and Booker isn't a bad thing. Surely Westy will be up to speed when he gets to camp.

eaglesalltheway
06-04-2009, 07:25 PM

On the Eagles he is top 3 for sure...

eaglesalltheway
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
This is how I see the WR position ending up by the time the season starts.

X - Kevin Curtis / Jeremy Maclin
Z - DeSean Jackson / Hank Baskett
Slot - Jason Avant / Brandon Gibson

Reggie Brown - Traded/Cut

DeSean should be the Z receiver for quite a while and Maclin will get groomed as the future X. Jason Avant is a beast in the slot and I like Brandon Gibson's potential there as well. Kevin Curtis is a nice veteran who is a borderline starter and might have to take a backup role pretty soon if Maclin tears it up and Hank Baskett is really just a stop gap player right now.

I don't think the Eagles keep 6 WRs, so I'd have to put Gibson off that list in the slot, since we have Maclin and DeSean who can play there, as well as players at other postions who can move in and play slot depending on the play.

Week one, barring injury, it'll be Curtis at X, DeSean at Y, and Avant seeing most of the snaps where the slot is used. Maclin will work in at X and slot, as well as see time with 4 WR sets, but Curtis will most likely retain the starting spot for now. DeSean will see time at the slot position because of his versatility. Baskett will see time at Y. I wouldn't call him a stop gap player though, as that implies that he is just a veteran holding a spot down for a year until we find a replacement. His role isn't big enough to warrant that type of title, and would be better suited calling him a role player, IMO.

eaglesalltheway
06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Avant will make the team for sure because he contributes on Special Teams. Brown is unlikely to make the roster at this juncture, though perhaps the Eagles carry 6 WR's. Either Baskett or Brown will not be with the team in 2009...

Avant and Baskett even make contributions on ST, and I think he will stick with the team as the 5th WR, and the last one on the roster. If the team does keep 6 though, Brown and Gibson will battle for it. My money is on Gibson if only because the role of the 6th WR is limitted at best and he is much cheaper.

eaglesalltheway
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I have no problem with him getting it out of the way now and being 100% ready to go in training camp. In the meantime, getting more reps for McCoy and Booker isn't a bad thing. Surely Westy will be up to speed when he gets to camp.

I've heard the recovery just to do normal things is 6-8 weeks, and for him to be able to do football things will take as much as another month, which puts him back mid August to Early September. Now I think because of him being such a great athlete, his recovery should go better than expected, but if there is more wrong inside his ankle than expected (as there could be, with his history) he may just be getting back in time for the regular season.

With his experience that isn't necessarily a huge problem, but he may start out slow if he takes longer to recover. We have Shady who can limit the hole left by Westy if that is the case, but I fully expect him to be fine and ready to go by the time the seaon starts.

superman8456
06-04-2009, 07:57 PM
I think Baskett will end up being cut instead of Reggie Brown.

Sniper
06-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I think Baskett will end up being cut instead of Reggie Brown.

I don't think so. Baskett offers something that differentiates him from the rest of the WR and has a hot wife-to-be.

eaglesalltheway
06-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think so. Baskett offers something that differentiates him from the rest of the WR and has a hot wife-to-be.

Agreed, he has the height that none of the other WRs have, and he offers some help on Special Teams. Reggie will really have to show a lot to stick around this season. I'm not sure what his contract is, but I'm sure it's much higher than Baskett's and much higher than Gibson's will be.

Thumper
06-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Gibson will be IR'd and when Hank Baskett's and Jason Avant's contracts expire he will replace one of them. Reggie has one foot out the door IMO, I mean he did good and then after 1 injury he was knocked out of the rotation completely? Brown was slapped in the face which is to bad because he is actually a decent player who would've made a good #2 opposite DeSean. He should have some value because he is a decent player in his prime. I'd think a 4th round pick would suffice. Now there is Jeremy Maclin who will start at X instead (eventually) which is a major upgrade :D. Reggie Brown was wasted however.

brat316
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm holding off me comments on Maclin ZOMG he is GReATZZZZZ, start him right now.

Wait for him to play a season or two out, catch some balls over the middle, get laid out. We have seen WR that were amazing rookie year and then just fell off, or were over hyped as draft picks. We know that WR have the hardest time to transition and biggest chance to bust.

I hope he makes some kind of impact this year.

Go_Eagles77
06-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Eagles sign Harris, Tupou, and Gibson to 4 year deals.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...story_id=17834 (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17834)

eaglesalltheway
06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Gibson will be IR'd and when Hank Baskett's and Jason Avant's contracts expire he will replace one of them. Reggie has one foot out the door IMO, I mean he did good and then after 1 injury he was knocked out of the rotation completely? Brown was slapped in the face which is to bad because he is actually a decent player who would've made a good #2 opposite DeSean. He should have some value because he is a decent player in his prime. I'd think a 4th round pick would suffice. Now there is Jeremy Maclin who will start at X instead (eventually) which is a major upgrade :D. Reggie Brown was wasted however.

Gibson could be IRed, I didn't even think about that, but I still think him and Reggie are battling for that #6 WR spot. The reason he is battling at #6 is because we need our #4 and #5 WRs to contribute on Special Teams, and Reggie can't, and thus, his value is decreased. He showed promise, but he will never fully realize his potential, and doesn't have much more value than a fifth IMO.

eaglesalltheway
06-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm holding off me comments on Maclin ZOMG he is GReATZZZZZ, start him right now.

Wait for him to play a season or two out, catch some balls over the middle, get laid out. We have seen WR that were amazing rookie year and then just fell off, or were over hyped as draft picks. We know that WR have the hardest time to transition and biggest chance to bust.

I hope he makes some kind of impact this year.

I personally am not expecting anything close to DeSean's Rookie season from Maclin, however, as I said before, if he can contribute like DeSean did last year, look out, we may have the beginning of an elite set of WRs. Honestly, I'm not expecting more than 650 yards and 6 TDs overall out of Maclin, but over 500 yards and 4 or so TDs overall.

eaglesalltheway
06-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Eagles sign Harris, Tupou, and Gibson to 4 year deals.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...story_id=17834 (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17834)

Thats good, I like when we get this stuff done early, and it will only help both sides in expediting the developement. Now we need to work on Fokou, Ingram, Shady, and Maclin.

Go_Eagles77
06-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Thats good, I like when we get this stuff done early, and it will only help both sides in expediting the developement. Now we need to work on Fokou, Ingram, Shady, and Maclin.
Yep, no point in wasting any money on Fanaika. lol.

superman8456
06-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Yes, but Cornelius has the same physical attributes and I believe they will line him up at WR occasionally. Basically what Im say is that Baskett's time here will soon be over. Either this season or the next.