PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Eagles Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Thumper
12-21-2009, 03:55 PM
How is Trent Cole not in the top 3 in pro-bowl voting? On the season he has 11.5 sacks and an astounding 26 hurries. Trent Cole is a monster and he isn't getting any respect and even more impressive is that he is the only legitimate pass rusher on the defensive line.

Thumper
12-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Andy Reid is a bad ass!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWnkDiwyb58&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWnkDiwyb58&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Notice the nice little shoulder check on #38. Why? Because #38 had just slung DeSean out of bounds on a borderline late hit. Frontier Justice FTW!

superman8456
12-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Big game for us this week. I think we win it though.

brat316
12-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Not a late hit, but awesome anyways.

Thumper
12-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Upon further review... (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/LB_breakdown_Gocong_out_Jordans_role.html)

Here's the breakdown in terms of number of plays:

Will Witherspoon - 58
Akeem Jordan - 26
Moise Fokou - 12
Jeremiah Trotter - 12
Tracy White - 12

Notice an omission? Chris Gocong? Yeah... he didn't even play against the 49ers except for special teams. What a waste.

Thumper
12-23-2009, 02:37 PM
And it doesn't look like he'll be starting this week either because according to Brian Seltzer, Moise Fokou is playing with the starters at practice.

Also I can't wait for Dawkins to come back to Philly, everyone should read this (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20091223_Faith___fury__The_contradictions_of_Brian _Dawkins.html?page=1&c=y) I really do wish he was back, it is so wrong to see him in orange, he is still an Eagle and when I read about his leadership I can't help but imagine what he would've done with this young defense, with his focus would the Eagles have lost to the Raiders? Would the Eagles have shown up to San Diego flat like they did if Dawk was there? Would the Eagles have lost that close game to Dallas without Dawk? I wish Dawk was still an Eagle and I really hope that once he retires Andy Reid offers him a coaching spot because Dawkins is extremely intelligent and knows what is going on out on the field, bring him in as the defensive backs coach when he retires and eventually bring him along so that he becomes a defensive coordinator.

superman8456
12-27-2009, 08:37 PM
That was a pretty crazy game, and not in a good way. My god does this team fluctuate between the first quarter to the last quarters. We had a great start and it just went downhill.

Here are a couple things I took from this game:
1) Wildcat is not worth a **** without Vick playing. I dont want DeSean, Westbrook, or anyone else back there doing it. No point in that.

2) Our oline is so inconsistent. I dont blame Andy Reid for passing every down, we cant run block for ****. We got virtually no push every single time we tried to run it. I do not remember a run longer than 2 yards by the Eagles, excluding McNabbs 27 yard run.

3) We have a ton of underrated LB's. Tracy White has played himself into a solid role on this team. Akeem Jordan has been consistently good all season. Will Witherspoon is also a good player.

4) Our secondary goes for the big hit too much. Mainly Sheldon Brown though. He wiffed on at least 2 or 3 tackles trying to go for the big hit. I want some more sure tackling.

One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen in my life. more later..

Thumper
12-28-2009, 03:29 AM
You all remember my little post on Mike Patterson right? The one where I berated him for sucking? Yeah about that... He doesn't suck this season.

Read what football's outsiders wrote about him: (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/cover-3/2009/cover-3-rise-underrated-part-1)
In his fourth NFL season, Eagles tackle Mike Patterson isn't within shouting distance of the "Baby Sapp" nickname he used to carry at USC. Now, he's more about the physical battle inside than the marquee moments he had in college. When I asked Mike Tanier for the name of an underrated Philadelphia defender, Patterson's was the first that came through my Inbox. Mike said that Patterson had played at a near-Pro Bowl level all season, so I thought it was time to break out the microscope and get to work. Adam Caplan of Scout.com and SIRIUS NFL Radio classified Patterson as "a wide-bodied player who has become more of a physical run defender on Philadelphia's front-four. He'll never be classified as an impact player, but he's been very consistent on running downs. He's a durable defensive lineman who should have many solid years to come."

The Eagles will ask Patterson and fellow starting tackle Brodrick Bunkley (who impressed me more than Patterson last season during the Eagles' playoff run) to man up against different linemen -- there's less of the static "0/1-tech/3-tech" packages you see with some other 4-3 fronts. The first thing I noticed about Patterson was his ability to shake off a double team and get back in the play. He first did this on a six-yard Frank Gore run with 10:28 left in the first quarter. Right guard Chilo Rachal and right tackle Adam Snyder pinched inside to blow Patterson out of the A-gap and give Gore room to run. But Patterson sifted through the blocks and helped take Gore down. He seems to have a better ability to deal with man-on-man power situations than Bunkley, who was frequently overwhelmed by center Eric Heitmann when Bunkley was lined up over the ball. On the next play, it was the focus on Patterson, and Vernon Davis' release against an over front (strong-side alignment) that allowed end Juqua Parker to blast through, unobstructed, and bat Alex Smith's pass down.
The Eagles adapted to the 49ers' frequent shotgun snaps with wide fronts and different pressure concepts. Parker's deflection left San Francisco with third-and-4 at the Philly 33. Now, Patterson stunted to the right at the snap while Bunkley took the double-team up top, and got to Smith quickly enough to cause an early throw and end the drive.

Later in the first quarter, Patterson finally got to have some fun. After a 12-yard Gore run with 5:45 left (this was another double on Patterson -- the 49ers were countering Philly's wider defensive line splits with blocking schemes designed to move a tackle one way, and the accompanying linebacker the other), there was a double-team inside, so Gore took it outside and was tackled by Parker for a one-yard gain. On the next play, Patterson found himself in the moment every interior lineman lives for after all that extra attention: On second-and-9 from the San Francisco 40, the Niners tried Gore up the middle and Rachal single-blocking Patterson. Not a good idea, as Patterson simply wedged his way inside, pulled off Rachal, and stopped the play for no gain.

The first part of being impressed by constant double-teams on a tackle is the constant double-team concept itself. The second part is watching what happens in single-blocking situations. I learned this when I wrote about Ndamukong Suh two weeks ago, and I pitied the poor quarterback whenever some joker called for a scheme that didn't have anywhere from two to eight people directly on Suh at all times.

Patterson started the second half with a bang, displaying his ability to mess things up at the point for any rushing attack. With first-and-10 at the Eagles' 43, he simply blew through the Rachal/Snyder double-team and stopped Gore for a loss of one yard. On Gore's next run, he peeled off Rachal again and limited Gore to a two-yard gain. Both Bunkley and Patterson seem most effective as gap-fill tackles as opposed to the kind who will take a head-on approach and either bull through or slide off a block (Shaun Rogers' specialty in Cleveland). In this game, Patterson found more and more success filling the right B-gap and either splitting the double or shading the guard and exploiting the mismatch. If they take double-teams straight on, it's more likely to be one way, intentional or not, to gum up blockers and get other defenders involved.

Go_Eagles77
12-28-2009, 10:16 AM
He has impressed me a lot especially in recent weeks. He, Bunkley, and Dixon have all surpassed my expectations. Trevor Laws on the other hand...

superman8456
12-28-2009, 11:27 AM
On a depressing note, anybody see Brandon Gibson's stat line the other night?

5 receptions, 51 yards, and a TD

Go_Eagles77
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
That's not very depressing. Jamaal Jackson has a torn ACL though, that's pretty depressing.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
That's not very depressing. Jamaal Jackson has a torn ACL though, that's pretty depressing.

That is a lot more depressing. Just when we started to get everyone back too...

Sniper
12-28-2009, 11:39 AM
On a depressing note, anybody see Brandon Gibson's stat line the other night?

5 receptions, 51 yards, and a TD

How is that depressing?

Thumper
12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
**** Not Jamaal Jackson! That guy was the glue on the offensive line.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 02:19 PM
How is that depressing?

We're going to see what could have been in the coming years. He's going to be a beast and we're going to have Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis on our roster, to me that's depressing ****.

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Who's playing Center for you now? What will your starting 5 be?

Did you see Jay Ratliff's 2 sacks last night? ;)

brat316
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I think Gibson did better the first game he played for the Rams.

brat316
12-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Probably Nick Cole, I don't think any of the other guys can slide over. If there was an injury at guard or tackle its different, then guys can shuffle around.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 02:25 PM

From left to right: Peters, Herremans, Cole, Jean Gilles, Justice.

It's a pretty good backup like rightside. I expect Ratliff to get some pressure, but Jean Gilles is a mauler in the run game

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
From left to right: Peters, Herremans, Cole, Jean Gilles, Justice.

It's a pretty good backup like rightside. I expect Ratliff to get some pressure, but Jean Gilles is a mauler in the run game
How is the balance of your pass vs run anyways? I'd guess that you pass most of the time, but is that a correct assumption? You guys have an OL built to run, but do you run all that much?

Sniper
12-28-2009, 02:33 PM
How is the balance of your pass vs run anyways? I'd guess that you pass most of the time, but is that a correct assumption? You guys have an OL built to run, but do you run all that much?

58/42 in favor of the pass.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
We're going to see what could have been in the coming years. He's going to be a beast and we're going to have Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis on our roster, to me that's depressing ****.

Oh noez. I guess we'll just have to settle for DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant and Brent Celek as our primary pass-catchers. How will we ever survive?

Bitching like this about who your No. 5 WR is is ******* ********. Who gives a ****? Cutting Curtis is nearly impossible with his contract, and crying about who catches Brown's 9 catches seems a bit trivial, to say the least.

Thumper
12-28-2009, 02:41 PM

Apparently you didn't know Nick Cole has started for two years running at OG so he isn't exactly a new comer to the offensive line and he won't be taken advantage of like other back up centers I know ;)

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Apparently you didn't know Nick Cole has started for two years running at OG so he isn't exactly a new comer to the offensive line and he won't be taken advantage of like other back up centers I know ;)
Nah, he'll just be taken advantage of like every OC that Ratliff goes against. lol.

This weekend can't come fast enough!

Sniper
12-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Nah, he'll just be taken advantage of like every OC that Ratliff goes against. lol.

Ratliff is TEH SEX.

Thumper
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Yep! It really can't! Eagles division championship can't come fast enough! ;)

Thumper
12-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Anyone else think that this might be Stacy Andrew's big chance? A big signing who because of injury never really got to work with Juan Castillo in the offseason and he has really struggled because of it this season. Is Jamaal Jackson's injury his way in? Because now Nick Cole is moving to C which means he is abandoning his RG spot which leaves Max Jean-Giles and Stacy Andrews at RG, can Stacy beat out MJG this week?

And Mike McGlynn hasn't really had his shot yet and he is now the back-up C behind Nick Cole until the Eagles add someone so lets say Nick Cole gets abused by Ratliff (don't think that will happen) does McGlynn get moved to C? Is this a possible break for him? He was picked kind of high and he is a key back-up because he could play all 5 spots if it came down to it and he was a stud RT at Pitt, so I think that he could be at least decent at C.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Oh noez. I guess we'll just have to settle for DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant and Brent Celek as our primary pass-catchers. How will we ever survive?

Bitching like this about who your No. 5 WR is is ******* ********. Who gives a ****? Cutting Curtis is nearly impossible with his contract, and crying about who catches Brown's 9 catches seems a bit trivial, to say the least.

It only takes one injury.

If DeSean Jackson gets hurt right now, look what we're left with. A rookie, a slot WR with good hands but doesnt always show up, and a somewhat consistent pass catching TE.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM

If DeSean Jackson gets hurt right now, look what we're left with. A rookie, a slot WR with good hands but doesnt always show up, and a somewhat consistent pass catching TE.

A rookie who's outperforming Jackson's rookie year, a slot guy who always shows up but somehow gets ignored a lot, a "somewhat consistent TE" with nearly 900 yards and 9 touchdowns, and three RBs who can all catch the ball out of the backfield.

eaglesalltheway
12-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Ratliff is TEH SEX.

That is the only way to put it. Ratliff will make his plays, but not because Cole (or MJG) isn't a good linemen, its because he is a monster, and guys as good as him always find time to make plays.

A rookie who's outperforming Jackson's rookie year, a slot guy who always shows up but somehow gets ignored a lot, a "somewhat consistent TE" with nearly 900 yards and 9 touchdowns, and three RBs who can all catch the ball out of the backfield.

YES! Though I agree it would still be nice in a way to still have Gibson, most of us here, and most of the organization understand his value as a #4 WR at best, isn't nearly that of having a starting calibur MLB or WLB. Even though Gibson is starting calibur, we have too many weapons ahead of him that decrease his value.

Oh yea, and Celek is a beast, I <3 him. I love watching him and Weaver with the ball in their hands.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
What's encouraging to me is that during this six-game winning streak, three of them have been close games (less than a touchdown). This team is starting to win close games.

cunningham06
12-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Keep in mind that 3 of Gibson's 5 receptions were in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter in garbage time.

His TD grab was nice, but don't expect him to be the next Torry Holt. He will probably be a solid receiver, but Avant is plenty solid and reliable as well.

We simply don't really need Gibson, and I'm glad we made that trade because Witherspoon's proved to be a very good addition.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm plenty happy with Witherspoon, but thats not gonna stop me from wondering what could have been.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm plenty happy with Witherspoon, but thats not gonna stop me from wondering what could have been.

So you'd rather have a good #5-#6 WR over a very good starting MLB who can also kick out to WLB once Bradley comes back? Seriously, thank ******* God you're not the GM.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
So you'd rather have a good #5-#6 WR over a very good starting MLB who can also kick out to WLB once Bradley comes back? Seriously, thank ******* God you're not the GM.

Can you not read?

I said I'm very pleased with how we came out of the trade, but that wont stop me from wondering what could have happened if this guy stayed an Eagle.

I've already given my ideas about next years LB corp.

And to be honest, I'm not satisfied with having people like Kevin Curtis still on the roster.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Can you not read?

I can read very well, thank you.

I said I'm very pleased with how we came out of the trade, but that wont stop me from wondering what could have happened if this guy stayed an Eagle.

So basically, you'd ***** either way. Makes sense. What would have happened? He would have stayed on the roster, caught six passes all year, not played for the duration of his contract, walked and played on another team.

And to be honest, I'm not satisfied with having people like Kevin Curtis still on the roster.

A healthy Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown are both better than Gibson is right now.

superman8456
12-28-2009, 07:20 PM
I can read very well, thank you.

So basically, you'd ***** either way. Makes sense. What would have happened? He would have stayed on the roster, caught six passes all year, not played for the duration of his contract, walked and played on another team.

A healthy Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown are both better than Gibson is right now.

A healthy Kevin Curtis, huh? Haven't seen one of those in quite some time.

You're also talking about his impact this season. I'm talking more along the lines of his career, a somewhat promising one.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 07:22 PM
A healthy Kevin Curtis, huh? Haven't seen one of those in quite some time.

You're also talking about his impact this season. I'm talking more along the lines of his career, a somewhat promising one.

He'd be buried on the depth chart for the duration of his contract. Who's he going to overtake to be in the top 3?

DeSean- Yeah, sure.
Maclin- Yeah, sure.
Avant- Ha, good one.

So you wanted to keep this garbage-time star so he could be ninth or tenth in the receiving pecking order? (DeSean, Maclin, Avant, Celek, McCoy, Weaver, Westbrook, Brown, Curtis)

Sniper
12-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Words can't express how much I hate Macho Harris.

Thumper
12-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Words can't express how much I hate Macho Harris.

Yesterday I felt the same way and then I realized, he is a developmental guy who really shouldn't be on the field and he is super aggressive on the field (he throws his weight around like nobody else does out there). So he shouldn't be on the field, but he has potential. But he has to be on the field because Demps is even worse at FS seemingly getting late hit penalties at least twice a game or you can have Sean Jones who has seemingly forgot how to tackle. And returning kicks is even worse, Demps will do it and he does it better than Macho but still he isn't fantastic and behind him is Jeremy Maclin who for some reason can't make quick decisions when returning kicks and he looks really bad out there.

Go_Eagles77
12-28-2009, 09:26 PM
I am really surprised Maclin hasn't done better returning kicks or even punts. He's one of the best college returners I've ever seen. Luckily we already have the best punt returner in the league so kick returns are the only problem, I think the loss of Ellis Hobbs earlier this year was under-estimated, he gave us a lot of good field position.

eaglesalltheway
12-28-2009, 11:53 PM
I am really surprised Maclin hasn't done better returning kicks or even punts. He's one of the best college returners I've ever seen. Luckily we already have the best punt returner in the league so kick returns are the only problem, I think the loss of Ellis Hobbs earlier this year was under-estimated, he gave us a lot of good field position.

Hobbs' loss as a returner is definitely underrated. As a CB, however, I'm almost glad he got injured. He looked flat out terrible at times...

brat316
12-29-2009, 12:24 AM

In college he pretty much out ran everyone, didn't have to break to many tackles or take punishing hits.

In the NFL he just seems to fragile for KR, with guys pay checks riding on being ST, they love to lay returners out. Maybe in a pinch if they need him he can go in there, but he doesn't have the body to stand up to those hits, or break those tackles always.

Also add to that he may just be afraid of getting destroyed in the KR game.

Thumper
12-29-2009, 12:33 AM
#2 seed? All the Eagles have to do is win in Dallas on Sunday and they've got the bye week and Andy Reid is 3-0 coming off of bye weeks in the playoffs and 10-0 in the regular season.

Another epic Dallas v. Philly game so lets hope it turns out like the last one did!

SO in light of this weeks coming game I would like to remember the last epic match-up...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4rBA41f7A0c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4rBA41f7A0c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLEB2FxBf9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLEB2FxBf9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good times... Good times...

eaglesalltheway
12-29-2009, 12:52 AM
I'd lack to add something else in terms of Maclin as a returner. I (and many others, I assume) could tell by the second preseason game that he is not an NFL returner. He has no future as a returner, and really should only be considered if there are a buch of injuries. I'd still keep Macho in over him, though he isn't much better. I don't understand why we don't see more of Demps returning. He can find the seem and exploit it better than either, and has a little more power to his return style, in addition to being pretty secure with the ball.

Thumper
12-29-2009, 01:32 AM
I'd lack to add something else in terms of Maclin as a returner. I (and many others, I assume) could tell by the second preseason game that he is not an NFL returner. He has no future as a returner, and really should only be considered if there are a buch of injuries. I'd still keep Macho in over him, though he isn't much better. I don't understand why we don't see more of Demps returning. He can find the seem and exploit it better than either, and has a little more power to his return style, in addition to being pretty secure with the ball.

Demps was actually given kick returning duties against the 49ers but he was injured and didn't play the Broncos game so Macho was returning again. I think it is safe to say that Macho won't be returning kicks next week.

bigbluedefense
12-30-2009, 05:54 PM
This game is so interesting. Its very possible that both teams will play back to back weeks vs each other if the Vikings beat the Giants.

And both teams will try hard each week bc of homefield advantage then the playoffs obviously.

Have we ever seen anything like this before? Usually teams would try to play vanilla and save their stuff for the playoffs, but this time, both teams will go balls to the walls 2 weeks in a row vs each other!

If that happens, thats gonna be a sight to see. Must suck as a fan of either team though.

I know I wouldn't want it to happen if I had a rooting interest in the games.

Todd Bertuzzi
12-30-2009, 06:00 PM
It's not only our game, but the Packers/Cards game too. Crazy how things work out.

Thumper
12-30-2009, 06:03 PM
As long as the Eagles win that won't be a problem

bigbluedefense
12-30-2009, 06:07 PM
It's not only our game, but the Packers/Cards game too. Crazy how things work out.

The Cards and Packers have nothing to play for though. So their game is basically a scrimmage between backups.

The Eagles and Cowboys both have something very significant to play for. So they can't just rest starters or half ass the gameplan for their game. So they'll play hard, then come back and do it again the following week in all likelihood.

Of course, that all depends on the Vikings winning. But im pretty sure the Giants mailed it in already so i'll be surprised if the Vikings lose.

Thumper
12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
No, THE EAGLES HAVE HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE, all they have to do is win and they have homefield. Nothing is dependent on the Vikings, the Eagles hold the tiebreakers, the Eagles control their own destiny.

Right now the Eagles are the #2 seed, win and they keep it, lose and they don't. The Vikings don't even factor in to the equation.

eaglesalltheway
12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
The Cards and Packers have nothing to play for though. So their game is basically a scrimmage between backups.

The Eagles and Cowboys both have something very significant to play for. So they can't just rest starters or half ass the gameplan for their game. So they'll play hard, then come back and do it again the following week in all likelihood.

Of course, that all depends on the Vikings winning. But im pretty sure the Giants mailed it in already so i'll be surprised if the Vikings lose.

If the Giants have indeed packed it in, then you are right, the AZ/GB game will be a wash. I'm not sure how the schedule is, but if the NY/MIN game is before the AZ/GB game and the Giants can pull out a win, the Cards have potential home field advantage to play for, so that could motivate them a bit more.

Thumper
12-31-2009, 01:26 AM
Has anyone else noticed that DeSean Jackson always starts things off in the games but Jeremy Maclin is the finisher? Maclin has came up in the clutch lately. Need a big play go to DeSean Jackson, need a clutch catch? Jeremy Maclin is the man to look for.

Todd Bertuzzi
12-31-2009, 01:26 AM
Has anyone else noticed that DeSean Jackson always starts things off in the games but Jeremy Maclin is the finisher? Maclin has came up in the clutch lately. Need a big play go to DeSean Jackson, need a clutch catch? Jeremy Maclin is the man to look for.

Jason Avant says hi

Thumper
12-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Jason Avant says hi

Maclin says look at the Washington game and the Denver game the only close games in this win streak, both times he made huge catches.

But Avant is good too.

cunningham06
12-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Maclin says look at the Washington game and the Denver game the only close games in this win streak, both times he made huge catches.

But Avant is good too.

Avant balls out of control, the only thing he lacks is elite speed. I'm a big Avant fan and I trust him as the third down receiver to go to more than anyone else. We saw it in last years playoffs, and I trust him through this year's.

eaglesalltheway
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Avant balls out of control, the only thing he lacks is elite speed. I'm a big Avant fan and I trust him as the third down receiver to go to more than anyone else. We saw it in last years playoffs, and I trust him through this year's.

Agreed, Avant is our best clutch receiver at this moment. Celek and Maclin have proven they can be relied on too though.

brat316
12-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Celek has more than proven he is reliable he is a great pass catching TE. Very above average, not in the Davis, Gonzoles, Gates, category.

eaglesalltheway
12-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Celek has more than proven he is reliable he is a great pass catching TE. Very above average, not in the Davis, Gonzoles, Gates, category.

Don't forget Witten. Despite his lack of TDs, he is an elite TE. I'd say Celek is a very good TE, not quite great yet, but maybe he'll get there next year.

superman8456
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
We're going to get Vick back for this game and I'm real excited. I think this is one of the games where he gets utilized a lot.

Thumper
01-01-2010, 11:17 PM
You know what Cowboys fans don't realize, the Eagles lost the game, the Cowboys didn't win it. The Eagles gave them that game, Moise Fokou did it all alone, negating great field position on a Sheldon Brown interception and a KR for a TD by Ellis Hobbs and then they couldn't convert in short yardage situations. The Eagles gift wrapped that game to them and they still barely won.

Lets look at it this way, the Eagles are just flat out better and that is why they should win on Sunday.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Last week made me realize just how much I miss Dawk. Remind me again why we didn't sign him?

superman8456
01-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Last week made me realize just how much I miss Dawk. Remind me again why we didn't sign him?

We didnt anticipate a team throwing 3 years, 16 million was it? at him.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I'd much rather give him the money than pay Stacey Andrews what we did.

brat316
01-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Old..would get burned to much in this defense.

Sniper
01-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I'd much rather give him the money than pay Stacey Andrews what we did.

Revisionist history is revisionist (although I wasn't a big fan of the Andrews signing).

Todd Bertuzzi
01-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Old..would get burned to much in this defense.

And what's happening with what we decided to go with? The youth movement seems to be paying dividends. Oh wait nvm. Dawkins would be infinitely better than anything we've played at FS this year. He's a big reason for why Denver's d is overachieving.

Thumper
01-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Last week made me remember why we let him go, he got burned by Brent Celek on the long TD (that was Dawk's assignment) and he missed tackles and made tackles upfield. Dawk isn't the same and he really isn't an upgrade over Sean Jones/Macho Harris at this point except in leadership and that has been replaced.

Thumper
01-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Was it surreal for anyone else to watch Dawkins tackle Westy? I sat there for about a minute thinking about that.

brat316
01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
And what's happening with what we decided to go with? The youth movement seems to be paying dividends. Oh wait nvm. Dawkins would be infinitely better than anything we've played at FS this year. He's a big reason for why Denver's d is overachieving.

Well Denver's D is also helping by masking his weaknesses. I'm also sure a bigger reason they are overachieving is Nolan and Dumerville.

Go_Eagles77
01-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Was it surreal for anyone else to watch Dawkins tackle Westy? I sat there for about a minute thinking about that.
The thing that got to me the most is when he came out of the tunnel and did his old weapon x routine, then ran into a group of broncos. Made me sick to my stomach.

cunningham06
01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Wow, I don't even know what to say after that game. We were dominated in nearly every facet of the game. I wouldn't rule out physical abuse as an appropriate punishment after how poorly the team played.

FreshBoy!
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
You know what Cowboys fans don't realize, the Eagles lost the game, the Cowboys didn't win it. The Eagles gave them that game, Moise Fokou did it all alone, negating great field position on a Sheldon Brown interception and a KR for a TD by Ellis Hobbs and then they couldn't convert in short yardage situations. The Eagles gift wrapped that game to them and they still barely won.

Lets look at it this way, the Eagles are just flat out better and that is why they should win on Sunday.

:rolleyes:

Same thing this time?

cunningham06
01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
:rolleyes:

Same thing this time?

Save the **** talk for once you guys win a playoff game. Unlike the season finale last year, we will actually be seeing you again in the playoffs.

I don't know how it's possible to support a team with D-bags the likes of Newman, Jenkins, Austin, and Flozell on the team.

mellojello
01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Wow, I don't even know what to say after that game. We were dominated in nearly every facet of the game.The Cowboys look good.

Go_Eagles77
01-03-2010, 07:05 PM
The only positive I can take out of this game is I know it is very hard to beat a team 3 times in 1 season. With that said I don't feel good about next week at all.

FreshBoy!
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
The Cowboys look good.

*thumbs up* Humility
Looking forward to next week. I certainly hope it's a repeat of tonight, but I doubt it. Should be a good game. I'm not gloating in the least...I just hate when folks have excuses about their teams. "We lost it, they didn't win"...is the biggest crock of **** ever.

Thumper
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
*thumbs up* Humility
Looking forward to next week. I certainly hope it's a repeat of tonight, but I doubt it. Should be a good game. I'm not gloating in the least...I just hate when folks have excuses about their teams. "We lost it, they didn't win"...is the biggest crock of **** ever.

except when it's true... The Cowboys weren't especially good, I mean look they only put up 24 points when the Eagles might as well have not been there. McNabb, Andy Reid, Sean McDermott and the receivers all choked and had Andy Reid run the ball, McNabb not have choked, McDermott brought pressure all game and the receivers caught those balls, this is a completely different story right now one that ends with the Eagles getting a bye week and the division title. But I should've seen this from miles away, this kind of **** always happens to the Eagles.

FreshBoy!
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
LOL!.

You're crazy. Have a good night man. Can't go back and forth with someone like you.

``The Cowboys outplayed us,'' he said. ``They were the better football team all the way around -- offensively, defensively, special teams.

Andy Reid says they were outplayed in every facet....yet the homer eagles fan on a message board says it's cause the Eagles gave it away.

*thumbs up*

mellojello
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
*thumbs up* Humility
Looking forward to next week. I certainly hope it's a repeat of tonight, but I doubt it. Should be a good game. I'm not gloating in the least...I just hate when folks have excuses about their teams. "We lost it, they didn't win"...is the biggest crock of **** ever.While I don't like the Cowboys or Romo, I'm not a diehard Eagles fan, so don't chalk it up to humility and use me as the example. However, every year, there's seems to be a team that sneaks up on folks in the playoffs and it could be the Cowboys this year.

superman8456
01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Guys, why so glum? I'm honestly not worried about this game one single bit. Sure, it would have been great to have homefield advantage, but this could be for the best.

Maybe a lot of you guys didn't notice this, but the gameplan was SO vanilla. We did not see a single wrinkle in that game that we have not seen before. Our defense simply played like ****, but offensively the gameplan was a joke. Next week all we have to do is capitalize on those dropped balls, give McNabb a little bit better protection, and try and run the ball some more in the game and the outcome could be totally different. This of course was my opinion/observation and could possibly be deadwrong and we just got outcoached, but I find that hard to believe. I also believe that Andy has some things up his sleeves.

The first drive ******** penalty on Sheldon is an absolute killer.

Brothgar
01-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Guys, why so glum? I'm honestly not worried about this game one single bit. Sure, it would have been great to have homefield advantage, but this could be for the best.

Maybe a lot of you guys didn't notice this, but the gameplan was SO vanilla. We did not see a single wrinkle in that game that we have not seen before. Our defense simply played like ****, but offensively the gameplan was a joke. Next week all we have to do is capitalize on those dropped balls, give McNabb a little bit better protection, and try and run the ball some more in the game and the outcome could be totally different. This of course was my opinion/observation and could possibly be deadwrong and we just got outcoached, but I find that hard to believe. I also believe that Andy has some things up his sleeves.

The first drive ******** penalty on Sheldon is an absolute killer.

What possible reason would the Eagles have to have a "Vanilla" game plan? What catch the Cowboys off guard next week instead of you know winning and uh not playing at all next week? Maybe second half that would make sense since it seemed like a loss but come on now.

superman8456
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
What possible reason would the Eagles have to have a "Vanilla" game plan? What catch the Cowboys off guard next week instead of you know winning and uh not playing at all next week? Maybe second half that would make sense since it seemed like a loss but come on now.

I'm just saying we did nothing new, and continued to do the samething numerous times during that game. Like I said, I could be deadwrong, but it just seemed very bland. I dont know what the reasoning would be either.

Nontheless, the defense got run over and then abused in the air.

FreshBoy!
01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Yea...that's pretty dumb. There's no way the gameplan was anymore "Vanilla" than any other game. That's just fantalk. No way a team would prefer to play next week...in a hostile stadium, then to sit a week, get healthy and play at home.

superman8456
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Yea...that's pretty dumb. There's no way the gameplan was anymore "Vanilla" than any other game. That's just fantalk. No way a team would prefer to play next week...in a hostile stadium, then to sit a week, get healthy and play at home.

You said you were gone, and then you comeback?

Hostile stadium my ass. Your fans are sitting on their ass the whole game. They have no effect on a game and barely even get loud.

We have no one to get healthy. Everybody is absolutely fine as well.

Stop acting like you ******* watch all Eagles games so YOU have the right to determine whether a gameplan would be vanilla or not.

Sniper
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
http://gentoo-blog.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/please-do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

FreshBoy!
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not trolling at all. Just trying to inject some logic.
Things like "They didn't beat us, we beat ourselves", and "We didn't want to win, we'd rather play in dallas than at home"

Come on guys......

But y'all are right. I'm not wanted here. Fin.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
We lost, lain and simple. We were outplayed and there weren't too many positives. That being said I have full confidence that next weeks game will be a lot better and the Cowboys better be ready.

Thumper
01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Alright here are some reasons why I think the Eagles have a more than legitimate shot at winning on Sunday (or Saturday).

In the second half the Cowboys scored once on a screen play and they struggled to move the ball, what was the difference? Pressure. McDermott got the hint and BLITZED. So hopefully he gets a clue and realizes he doesn't have the talent to run with Witten and Austin, instead he should get in Romo's face to stop him from getting the ball to them.

Also did anyone else notice Romo would do a lot of hard counts and he would get players to tip the blitz and he would adjust protection, he needs to do a better job of getting them to not tip the blitz and McD needs to show pressure and then have players drop, mess with Romo a little bit. Did anyone see his face the first time Trent Cole and Chris Clemons stood up from their spots and stood above the A gaps? (I believe it is called the oakie package) Romo literally just dropped his arms, looked at it, shrugged his shoulders and just winged it. The Eagles need to do that, they need to confuse Romo.

I think todays game was a good way to gauge what they would try to do to the Eagles and Andy Reid and Marty Morninwheg need to adjust and I think that they can.

The running game was non existent and that can't happen again can it? I mean Andy Reid ran the ball 10 times! Andy won't make that mistake again will he?

There is no way the running backs could play any worse right?

Hopefully something changes on the offensive line, they did a good enough job early on and really just kind of didn't care at the end but they did give McNabb time he just lacked accuracy and composure. I am hoping that Stacy Andrews is going to get the call at RG instead of MJG who literally only got in the way, when the Cowboys blitzed the right A and B gaps they only had a speed bump and he literally on got in the way on running downs and on numerous occasions I saw Westy run into him which is saying something considering the Eagles ran 10 times. The problem with MJG is that he is a fat ass, he is marginal against 4-3 defenses because he doesn't have to get to the second level all he has to do is go against someone who is probably just as much of a fat ass and he doesn't have to go to the second level to create a hole and against the 3-4 he is matched up with players that are about half his size and are MUCH quicker. Stacy Andrews is bigger, faster, stronger and is all around just more powerful and I have more hope that he can create holes than MJG can.

Vick will be back, he is a big wrinkle in the game-plan and he would've helped provide a much needed spark for the Eagles today, hopefully the Eagles can get him ready to go next week.

Plus what did the Cowboys do especially well? Nothing, they showed absolutely nothing that shows us that we're incapable of beating them, the Eagles just showed up flat and I don't think (hope) that would happen again in the playoffs, the Eagles beat themselves today and I hope they learn from their mistakes.

Also Quintin Demps will be back so that means that the Eagles will be getting better field position, a battle they dominated today, did the Eagles ever get a possession that started outside their own 20? I don't remember they ever did.

I am super pissed the Eagles showed up as flat and emotionless as they did in a game for all the marbles but there is still a glimmer of hope for next week.

superman8456
01-03-2010, 09:23 PM
If the Eagles complete that throw to DeSean Jackson for a TD, Maclin catches that 3rd down pass, and we dont fumble in their 20, this would have been a completely different game.

Sniper
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
If the Eagles complete that throw to DeSean Jackson for a TD, Maclin catches that 3rd down pass, and we dont fumble in their 20, this would have been a completely different game.

If, if, if, if, if means nothing. We got smoked. End o' story. Whether you believe it was vanilla playcalling, bad execution, great execution from Dallas, whatever, we got spanked. I'm thrilled that I didn't see this shitshow. Are the Cowboys 24 points better than us? No. However, give them credit. They came up big. We'll see them next week.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
01-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Cowboy fan-I had to wear a Michael Vick jersey to the game due to a lost bet!!!! Dont ever make that bet. I heard "Dog Killer" all game....

Wow. Next week is gonna be wild.

Thumper
01-04-2010, 01:31 AM
I can't stand this Cowboys hype, I hope the Eagles smash them just to shut people up. The only problem is the Eagles are soft and the Cowboys have no problem playing smash mouth football against the Eagles. The Eagles need to get fired up and they need to just throw their weight around because right now what Dallas is proving to me is that the Eagles (DeSean, Maclin, McNabb) can't handle the physicality, they can't take it.

And every time Dallas plays the Eagles that doubt creeps into my mind, is DeSean a #1 receiver or is he just a big play threat? Who is DeSean Jackson? Is he this young #1 guy who will beat you deep or is he a guy who is just a product of the system and can't be the same player when you get physical with him. DeSean isn't Steve Smith, Steve Smith is the toughest player in the NFL and DeSean isn't that so who is he? Is he Lee Evans? Is he Santana Moss? Will he be able to put up these numbers consistently or will defenses get smart? Will Maclin become the guy I expect him to be? I expect him to be better than DeSean, I expect Maclin to be the physical guy but so far he can't match-up with Mike Jenkins and he can't make the tough grabs while covered. Is that a side effect of the Missouri offense? Is he not able to make those grabs because he is still used to being on bubble screens and things like that where he was wide open? Maclin isn't mentally tough either, he looked dejected all game like he was waiting for something to happen instead of making the plays come to him.

I hate Dallas so much just because they can out physical the Eagles any day of the week, if its a shootout the Eagles can win, if it is grind it out football the Eagles won't. Count on that. Will that change with the return of Stewart Bradley and Shawn Andrews? Who knows, I hope so. Dallas is frustrating to play because they're the perfect match for the Eagles they do everything the Eagles don't, they're a physical team who will punch you in the mouth and I fear the Eagles lost that when the Eagles lost Dawkins, Jim Johnson, Jon Runyan, Tra Thomas, Stewart Bradley and Shawn Andrews. This team used to be one of the grittiest, toughest teams in the NFL and now the entire offense hinges on whether or not the defense gives up big plays and in the playoffs the Eagles cannot count on that.

The Cowboys just have the Eagles number this season and it is a tough pill to swallow and hopefully the Cowboys come out on Saturday and are complacent because if they play like they did today the Eagles will never beat them not because they're more talented but because they're tougher and more physical. I knew the Eagles lost that game from the very first drive, the Cowboys came out with fire, passion, intensity everything I wanted to see from the Eagles but the Eagles responded flat and emotionless.

I commend Jeremiah Trotter for his game today, he was the best player on the Eagles, he played like he cared, he played like the old Eagles did, with passion, fire and grit, that toughness that I liked. He made tackle after tackle, ran down plays and he tried, he tried unlike everyone else, he put his best effort forward unlike everyone else, he came ready to play but no one else did.

I hope the Eagles are embarrassed because they should be, they shouldn't head out on Saturday dejected and emotionless, they should head out with the attitude of 'They embarrassed us and we've got to make up for it'. But unfortunately I don't think they will and I think that this lack of toughness might become a recurring theme in the coming years and I hate that.

Thumper
01-04-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm holding the team to this talk (http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing/?blockID=111265&feedID=692)

“It is a humbling experience,” Donovan McNabb said. “I think at times when you feel like you’re at the top, you’ve got to get knocked down to dust yourself back off, to get yourself back up. We’ve been through situations where we have to fight, and it led us to where we wanted to be, and I don’t see this as being any different.”

“You get a little humble pie this week. It probably worked out better for us. … It’s just a wake-up call,” receiver Jason Avant said. “You don’t want to go into the playoffs playing the way we did today. To get humble and to come back to the drawing board and be thankful that we have another chance to play I think we’re going to be that much more fired up next week.”

FreshBoy!
01-04-2010, 06:13 AM
I can't stand this Cowboys hype, I hope the Eagles smash them just to shut people up. The only problem is the Eagles are soft and the Cowboys have no problem playing smash mouth football against the Eagles. The Eagles need to get fired up and they need to just throw their weight around because right now what Dallas is proving to me is that the Eagles (DeSean, Maclin, McNabb) can't handle the physicality, they can't take it.

And every time Dallas plays the Eagles that doubt creeps into my mind, is DeSean a #1 receiver or is he just a big play threat? Who is DeSean Jackson? Is he this young #1 guy who will beat you deep or is he a guy who is just a product of the system and can't be the same player when you get physical with him. DeSean isn't Steve Smith, Steve Smith is the toughest player in the NFL and DeSean isn't that so who is he? Is he Lee Evans? Is he Santana Moss? Will he be able to put up these numbers consistently or will defenses get smart? Will Maclin become the guy I expect him to be? I expect him to be better than DeSean, I expect Maclin to be the physical guy but so far he can't match-up with Mike Jenkins and he can't make the tough grabs while covered. Is that a side effect of the Missouri offense? Is he not able to make those grabs because he is still used to being on bubble screens and things like that where he was wide open? Maclin isn't mentally tough either, he looked dejected all game like he was waiting for something to happen instead of making the plays come to him.

I hate Dallas so much just because they can out physical the Eagles any day of the week, if its a shootout the Eagles can win, if it is grind it out football the Eagles won't. Count on that. Will that change with the return of Stewart Bradley and Shawn Andrews? Who knows, I hope so. Dallas is frustrating to play because they're the perfect match for the Eagles they do everything the Eagles don't, they're a physical team who will punch you in the mouth and I fear the Eagles lost that when the Eagles lost Dawkins, Jim Johnson, Jon Runyan, Tra Thomas, Stewart Bradley and Shawn Andrews. This team used to be one of the grittiest, toughest teams in the NFL and now the entire offense hinges on whether or not the defense gives up big plays and in the playoffs the Eagles cannot count on that.

The Cowboys just have the Eagles number this season and it is a tough pill to swallow and hopefully the Cowboys come out on Saturday and are complacent because if they play like they did today the Eagles will never beat them not because they're more talented but because they're tougher and more physical. I knew the Eagles lost that game from the very first drive, the Cowboys came out with fire, passion, intensity everything I wanted to see from the Eagles but the Eagles responded flat and emotionless.

I commend Jeremiah Trotter for his game today, he was the best player on the Eagles, he played like he cared, he played like the old Eagles did, with passion, fire and grit, that toughness that I liked. He made tackle after tackle, ran down plays and he tried, he tried unlike everyone else, he put his best effort forward unlike everyone else, he came ready to play but no one else did.

I hope the Eagles are embarrassed because they should be, they shouldn't head out on Saturday dejected and emotionless, they should head out with the attitude of 'They embarrassed us and we've got to make up for it'. But unfortunately I don't think they will and I think that this lack of toughness might become a recurring theme in the coming years and I hate that.

Great post....If I knew how to +rep you I would. This isn't me gloating at all, gonna be a tough game next saturday and I fully expect to see a different Eagles team. This post just makes a lot of sense. It seems(as of right now)...that the 'Boys are to the Eagles, as the Giants are to the 'Boys this year.

Paul
01-04-2010, 09:38 AM

That excuse only works, if it works at all, in close games, not in a 24-0 blowout.

Sniper
01-04-2010, 09:39 AM
That excuse only works, if it works at all, in close games, not in a 24-0 blowout.

That was from the first game. :D

Paul
01-04-2010, 09:42 AM
That was from the first game. :D

whoopsies. : o

bigbluedefense
01-04-2010, 09:59 AM
You know whats gone overlooked this year?

Sean McDermot is no Jim Johnson. I don't think he's a bad DC, but he's not a great one either like JJ was.

Its like the style of the Eagles defense changed under McDermot. You guys don't blitz nearly as much as you used to.

Brothgar
01-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Anyone who is looking over the Eagles on Sunday (next) is foolish just because the Eagles lost this week means nothing. Both teams have another week to look at film and don't have to go anywhere. A week is a long time to make adjustments.

bigbluedefense
01-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm surprised the Eagles came out so flat yesterday. It looked like they didn't want to show to much, which is odd bc they had a chance to be the #2 seed with a win.

I also think injuries are finally starting to catch up with the Eagles. You can only go so far with backups and 3rd stringers.

That, and Andy Reid had one of those Andy Reid days. You guys know what im talking about.

He usually saves those days for the NFC Championship game.

That said, I expect the Eagles to win this saturday.

Go_Eagles77
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't know if this makes me want to laugh or facepalm-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/desean-jackson-on-cowboys-we-gonna-sting-they-ass/

Todd Bertuzzi
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone who is looking over the Eagles on Sunday (next) is foolish just because the Eagles lost this week means nothing. Both teams have another week to look at film and don't have to go anywhere. A week is a long time to make adjustments.

That may be the only good thing to come out of yesterday's performance. Since we played so bad and our game planning was so bad I expect we'll see a drastic change in the way we approach the game next week. On the other hand I doubt the Cowboys change much after such a great showing and we'll have a week to look over the tape and plan around that.

superman8456
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
If, if, if, if, if means nothing. We got smoked. End o' story. Whether you believe it was vanilla playcalling, bad execution, great execution from Dallas, whatever, we got spanked. I'm thrilled that I didn't see this shitshow. Are the Cowboys 24 points better than us? No. However, give them credit. They came up big. We'll see them next week.

I was more just pointing out our missed opportunities, rather than making excuses. This is the playoffs now. Every opportunity we get, we must capitalize.

Thumper
01-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Dallas fans, I know you love to come over here and quote me so here is a good one, you ready? "**** you, pieces of ****"

Your Cowboys aren't better than the Eagles and yesterdays game showef nobody anything that says the Cowboys are going to beat the Eagles on Saturday. Maybe if you stop letting your pride get in the way you could see that, or maybe if you took off those blue and silver 3-D glasses Jerry gave you. The Eagles shot themselves in the foot the Cowboys simply watched it happen and like I've said many times, if the Eagles connect on those missed oppurtunities the Eagles win that and guess what? The Cowboys had absolutely no hand in those, the Eagles missed those all on their own, the Cowboys did nothing to defend them, in fact the Cowboys are the ones who let them get in positions like that where DeSean beat them deep and Maclin gained huge seperation and McNabb drove the Eagles to the redzone.

And did I mention you could all go **** yourselves? Why don't you go suck Miles "Horse face" Austin's shaft some more? Or better yet why don't you go slobber over Mike Jenkins and talk about how he is the next Deion? Bunch of morons.

FreshBoy!
01-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok. Fair.

What about the Ogletree overthrow?

Thumper
01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Ok. Fair.

What about it?

FreshBoy!
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
That's not the boys shooting themselves in the foot? Ala the mcnabb to desean overthrow? Which you said wouldve changed the course of the game.

You see... You're attributing the eagles loss as just a bunch of misteps and bad plays by the eagles. Boys had nothing to do with that is basically what you're saying, and my point is that there was misteps and blown chances by both teams....so...in short, to take a play out of your book. The cowboys stopped themselves, take those holding calls on the big Felix runs, ogletree overthrow, Roy miscommunication, and you have numerous plays that Romo and co. "choked" on. Too many mistakes that weren't caused by good eagles D, just bad boys play. They shouldve won by more in your reasoning.

pocketaces
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok. Fair.

No No No dont you understand? We did everything right and they played the worst game they possibly could. We had NOTHING to do with them averaging 8ppg against us. We've beat them in Philly and Dallas but they were both flukes. They are clearly the better team and I feel confident they will score this week. Please dont bring up our mistakes, such as the overthrow or our red zone turnover because those were great plays made by the Eagles.

gpngc
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Guys... don't worry. That game didn't even matter if/when you win the next one.

That was actually the best scenario in which a team loses. In less than a week, you go right back and have a chance to win the game that's a million times more important.

Thumper
01-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Did anyone notice that on Sunday Bunkley didn't play well at all? I mean they ran all over him and Mike Patterson which doesn't surprise me because the Cowboys interior line outweighs them by about 50 pounds each. But still for guys that are touted as the second best DT pair in football they were shoved around a lot.

Antonio Dixon actually played very well and when he came in I always noticed him getting close to the action and he was doing a very good job as a run stuffer. This guy was a steal, the Redskins cut him and I can't thank them enough because he has played so well that Trevor Laws is now regularly a healthy scratch and at 6'3" and 327 pounds Dixon provides much needed size in the middle.

Right now if I had to go back and choose who played well it would be a very limited list, it would be Jeremiah Trotter, Antonio Dixon, Tracy White, Brent Celek (who hurt his thumb again) and Todd Herramens other than that no one really came ready to play.

brat316
01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
The Cowboys line just overpowers everyone. The eagles defense doesn't have as big guys to compete with them, trying to get by on speed.

Trotter and Dixon are the two, who was the guard that Trotter bull rushed and knocked him on his ass?

Thumper
01-05-2010, 12:24 AM
IDK but Trot played a hell of a game and he was really the only one I can say that for, it was like watching Trotter in his prime and its too bad no one else decided to show up.

Thumper
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Does anyone remember that play where Romo got Crayton the ball really quickly and he just ran upfield but Tracy White caught him? If you look at that play again, Tracy White probably saved Crayton from a big time injury because Macho Harris lined up, dug deep, dropped the helmet and shoulder and was ready to pop him big time but at the last second Tracy White tackled him out of Macho's path.

And the Eagles really should go with a bigger line-up, put Gocong in instead of Fokou on run downs, have Trotter play more, bring in Sean Jones at FS have Dixon play NT and Bunkley play UT. The defense needs to be reshuffled to mix things up because Mike Patterson cannot take Leonard Davis all game and the smaller quicker guys were just blown up in the run game, Akeem Jordan and Macho Harris in particular.

Thumper
01-05-2010, 06:49 PM
That's not the boys shooting themselves in the foot? Ala the mcnabb to desean overthrow? Which you said wouldve changed the course of the game.

You see... You're attributing the eagles loss as just a bunch of misteps and bad plays by the eagles. Boys had nothing to do with that is basically what you're saying, and my point is that there was misteps and blown chances by both teams....so...in short, to take a play out of your book. The cowboys stopped themselves, take those holding calls on the big Felix runs, ogletree overthrow, Roy miscommunication, and you have numerous plays that Romo and co. "choked" on. Too many mistakes that weren't caused by good eagles D, just bad boys play. They shouldve won by more in your reasoning.

I think it is fair to say that the Eagles had many more missteps than the Cowboys did, McNabb in particular refused to get rid of the ball, he had confidence issues which I think may have stemmed from losing long time C Jamaal Jackson, he didn't look comfortable like he used to and he looked the same way after Jackson left the Broncos game.

In short the game wouldn't have been a blowout had the Eagles connected on the plays they typically make and it wouldn't be smart to assume the Eagles would play the same way as they did on Sunday just because that Dallas game really isn't what you can expect out of the Eagles.

And why would I respond to a post that is as arrogant, disrespectful and condescending Pocketaces? I won't. (LOL, UR SARCASM IS CUTTING EDGE! :rolleyes:)

mellojello
01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but the Eagles are in trouble. If anyone didn't bring their A game, it was Dallas - I think Dallas has more cards up their sleeve. They were up all game and I can see them bringing more disruptive blitz packages, which they didn't show last weekend, this weekend. They are going to attack that center position and I envision one of those games where McNabb is getting sacked or pressured a lot - if that happens, that's pretty much all she wrote. Dallas clearly committed to shutting out Desean (you gotta give them props for that), so Maclin is going to be critical if the Eagles are going to win. I mean, he's going to have to put up some really gaudy numbers. The problem is, I didn't see him getting enough separation from the cb's on short and mid-range plays. The reason the Eagles field position stunk was because the Eagles D was not very good - Desean's not going to take it to the house every time on punt returns, but look, the Eagles D needs to step up in order to get Dallas to punt and give Desean some space to work with. I'd love to see the Eagles go the distance, but getting Dallas again is a terrible match-up for the Birds. Bottom line: I expect Dallas to win this weekend.

mellojello
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
[McNabb] had confidence issues which I think may have stemmed from losing long time C Jamaal Jackson, he didn't look comfortable like he used to and he looked the same way after Jackson left the Broncos game.I think the center position is the most underrated in all of football. Losing a good starting center is to an offense like a RB getting turf toe.

Macarthur
01-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Cowboys fan here. Wanted to come over and talk football, no trash. I have a ton of respect for the Eagles.

However, there are a couple of matchups that strongly favor the Cowboys and would like to get you guys take on them.

1. It seemed that the Cowboys DBs really got physical with Maclin and Jackson. It seemed to really get them off their game evidenced by that play later in the game where Maclin went deep and he could not take his eyes off the safety coming over. They are both smallish and I'm wondering how the Eagles try to compensate for this.

2. Eagles OL - Really have problems with teh Cowboys front and this doesn't appear to be a 'scheme' thing. When Dallas went nickle, it appeared that all the matchups along the front favored Dallas - Ware, Spencer, Ratliff and even Bowen was giving them fits.

3. Philly has no answer for Witten. Philly's LBers are as weak as I have ever seen them and while Mikael is a decent safety, JOnes has played below average, IMO.

Now, to flip things around, Philly's front 4 is good and I don't think Dallas will have as easy a time running the ball again. Bunkley and Paterson are good and I suspect they show up big time this week, so Dallas' OL will need to have a very good game again.

mellojello
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
That said, I expect the Eagles to win this saturday.One of the few times I'm going to have to disagree with you, and while I understand why the Eagles can win, I'm curious what makes you think that the Eagles will win.

herniateddisc
01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
..... Tracy White probably saved Crayton from a big time injury because Macho Harris lined up, dug deep, dropped the helmet and shoulder and was ready to pop him big time but at the last second Tracy White tackled him out of Macho's path .....

I remember a play when a Cowboy missle flew right by DeSean on a PR and he was lucky his head was not ripped off.

cunningham06
01-08-2010, 12:05 AM
After the longhorn loss, an Eagles one would be devastating. Please Eagles, win this one for my own well-being...

cunningham06
01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Interesting discussions going on here, probably not much going on because half of our regular posters got suspended for trash talking...

Go_Eagles77
01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Tell me about it, it's the day before an eagles playoff game and you'd think it's May or something. It's weird but I'm just not as excited as I usually am prior to a playoff game, probably because while I'm hopeful, I don't have a good feeling about it.

cunningham06
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Tell me about it, it's the day before an eagles playoff game and you'd think it's May or something. It's weird but I'm just not as excited as I usually am prior to a playoff game, probably because while I'm hopeful, I don't have a good feeling about it.

Agreed, I keep my expectations low so I won't be disappointed. I think we've got a shot to beat Dallas, but they match up well against us and we've got a lot to fix from last week.

Brothgar
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm wondering where the sig bets are.

camp_eagles
01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
That was extremely disappointing. The Injuries really showed up tn specifically on the Oline.

cunningham06
01-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, our gimmick offense was bound to bite us in the ass, and it did. We need consistency and the ability to put a real drive together.

Now it's time for the draft. I'm assuming everyone here watched the National Championship? My boy Sergio Kindle tore it up that game and played great. I wanna see us have a first rounder from UT this year. Either Sergio Kindle, or Earl Thomas. DE and S are big needs for us and we could use a big time player at both spots.

brat316
01-10-2010, 12:47 AM
don't know what to do for the D. Seemed to get overwhelmed by either the cowboys O-line or just bad playcalling.

Could use some bigger bodies in the front 7 either at Lb and DE, cause their 310+ O line just wrecks at times.

For safety something needs to be done, Macho is good but he is just to small to play safety. He still had the cb mentality of knife tackle into the legs. Eagles could go another rookie or an experienced safety, something that would be much better.

Thumper
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Let me start off by saying the Eagles had a fantastic season, they finished 11-5 and competed for the NFC East Championship but the Cowboys just beat them this year, no way around it, the Cowboys got the best of the Eagles. But why? I’ve come to the conclusion that the Eagles aren’t as tough as they used to be, they’re as talented as any team in the NFL and probably the most talented team in Eagles’ history except for maybe those old Buddy Ryan teams. I just don’t think the Eagles can handle physicality all that well right now, if a team comes out and punches them in the mouth the Eagles just seem to lose it, they’re not the same team and that was evident in all the Eagles losses this past season. They need mental fortitude, that will come with maturing as players, remember the team is very young and inexperienced and some of it was the fact that Sean McDermott was a first year coordinator and some of it was that the Eagles leadership while great in winning situations lacked the same effectiveness in losing situations and hopefully that will change as the Eagles mature as well because I think while the Eagles played very well, they still missed Jon Runyan, Tra Thomas, Brian Dawkins and Jim Johnson in crunch time.

I’m not going to get too down because I know that this Eagles team will be better next year, count on it. The Eagles this season were running with 2nd and 3rd stringers at some spots all season long and injuries really piled on the Eagles in the season, plus the Eagles were very young and they’re just entering what should be the best part of their careers. Jeremy Maclin will have been through his first full training camp, LeSean McCoy will fine-tune his game, DeSean and Brent Celek will become even better, Macho Harris will grow into his FS spot where he seemed lost at points in the season and hopefully Moses Fokou can grow into a solid LB. With that said, injuries got this team right from the start, day one of training camp Shawn Andrews is lost for the year, days later rising star Stewart Bradley was lost, Stacy Andrews was never really healthy and will finally be recovered next season. So not only will younger players likely improve, Stewart Bradley and the Andrews brothers will be back to contribute next season.

But lets just take look at why the Cowboys are able to beat the Eagles (at least from my point of view). The Cowboys aren’t more talented, they’re probably slightly less because lets face it this Eagles team in terms of just raw football ability is probably the best in the league but there are a few holes.

-Let me start off by saying that I am done with McNabb, absolutely done, what has this guy done? Lead the Eagles to the playoffs, sure but other than that he has done nothing but come up short when it matters most, whether he himself is vomiting or he is making the fans vomit with disgust, he never seems to play well when the pressure is on. Also the Cowboys had his number from the start, he was making bad throws from the beginning of the first game last season and it continued all season, the 2009-10 Cowboys were his kryptonite, they just stuffed him, he skipped balls, he looked uncomfortable in all phases off the game, he looked dejected, confused and he really was never on target. Now I know that I probably won’t find a large following for this opinion and I’m sure half of you will say “I stopped reading when I read this”. But I am eager for the Kevin Kolb era to start, the guy has his flaws but he has improved and he was the first QB to ever throw for 300 yards in his first 2 starts, impressive regardless of whether or not Andy padded the stats for him a little bit and I noticed something with him in, aside from a couple missed throws over the middle which seems to be the big hole in his game, the offense seemed to flow better, everything was smoother, DeSean had more room to run after catches as did everyone else, the running game even seemed a little better. We were actually one Ed Reed interception from the Kevin Kolb era already, if Kevin Kolb doesn’t throw that interception this isn’t even a discussion, the Kolb era is already underway.
-The Cowboys are more physical, the Cowboys offensive line did an amazing job in the past two weeks, I have to give them credit, they absolutely manhandled Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley. They gave Romo all the time he needed.
-Winston Justice did a great job all season until the Cowboys game, for some reason he just couldn’t get a hand on Anthony Spencer and Spencer caused all kind of trouble for the Eagles offense and he was a major reason why McNabb had no time and why McNabb was jittery. The Eagles gave the Cowboys Spencer for what essentially amounts to Kevin Kolb and Stewart Bradley, so perhaps in a round about way this is their own doing but regardless Winston really struggled.
-The offensive line was just bad, maybe it was the fact that Jamaal Jackson was injured or maybe Jay Ratliff just dominates in the run game but there was absolutely NO room in the middle to run on and on the outside Jason Peters and Winston Justice couldn’t get a hand on Ware and Spencer.
-The defense. DEFENSE? What defense? Isn’t this supposed to be the Eagles defense? That defense that strikes fear into every QB? Right? Wrong, I remember those days though and they’re gone. The defense was just outmatched, the scheme couldn’t cover them up anymore, Mikell is mediocre (was fantastic when he played next to Dawk) and he can’t stop a TE and his tackling has really gone downhill and FS is a joke, Macho Harris has some potential and he is definitely physical but I don’t think he is the future and Sean Jones gets burned routinely. Sheldon Brown was toasted during both games whether he was getting roasted on double moves or whether he was getting pounded in the run game he just didn’t play well and Asante wasn’t his usual self, he does a decent job on Miles Austin but he still didn’t tackle well and he missed on a bunch of gambles. But the linebacker play was AWFUL and I don’t even need to go into that, Jeremiah Trotter played the best and that is not a good thing. The defensive line needs help as well Trent Cole was neutralized, Bunkley and Patterson were exposed and Parker, Abiamiri, Clemons, Babin and Howard were absolute non-factors. Shameful performance from a defense that is supposed to be carrying on the legacy of Jim Johnson.
-The decline of Brian Westbrook, he is being phased out, the offense really lost its rhythm when he came in and in the second match-up he had 0 carries. Plus at this point as much as it pains me to say, LeSean McCoy is just better, he is faster, more explosive and while he isn’t as developed or experienced he is just more effective when he has the ball. Plus the Eagles are phasing him out, do you know how many carries he had against Dallas last Saturday, not one carry. It pains me to see him ‘leave’ but injuries caught up with him and he isn’t the same, one of the best and most explosive players of the decade just fizzled away right before our eyes and it really is sad to see because he was so good. Westbrook is done, I’ve been saying it ever since the Kansas City game where LeSean McCoy played very well and I hate it because Westbrook was this team for a while, he was the Eagles offense.

So my conclusions:
The Eagles need a C, RG (depending on Andrews bros), LE, LB, CB, S
Westbrook and McNabb are done as Eagles. Just writing that was painful, I mean these guys were the faces of the Eagles, McNabb holds all the passing marks in team history and he might be a hall of famer one day and if injuries didn’t catch up to Westy he would’ve been the best rusher in Eagles history. It truly is the end of an era, a very good era, not a great one and it is sad to see a chapter in Eagles history close on such a sour note.

One thing I liked from the 3rd Cowboys game was Jeremy Maclin, I got really down after he pulled an alligator arms stunt in the 2nd game and led to two interceptions in game 1. But man did he redeem himself on Saturday, he only reaffirmed my idea that he will be better than Jackson. I loved the fight I saw from him, when he stiffarmed Ken Hamlin out of bounds and when he shoved Mike Jenkins after one play (I forget) I knew he had pride, that he had the attitude I want in the Eagles, the I’m not backing down from a challenge attitude that I like, he ran as hard and as fast as I have ever seen him run during the entire season. I really do think he will be better than Jackson and that he will one day be a top 10 receiver in the NFL if not top 5, the only downside is that he will be listed right next to Miles Austin and Hakeem Nicks who are going to be absolute studs in their own right.

Some quick Maclin stats:
He was on pace to be second in receiving touchdowns for a 21 year old behind Randy Moss prior to his injury.
He is the youngest player in NFL history to catch a TD pass in the playoffs
He is also the new record holder for most yards by a rookie in a playoff game

Maclin has a bright future and I really like the fight he showed, during and after the game (here are some after the game comments):
"It's unfortunate. It's a little frustrating and that's pretty much it," Maclin said. "I'm still not going say they are better than us. They did a good job of coming out and playing football. But I'll still take my guys over anybody else in the league … They came up with some good things to throw us off-guard. If you look at personnel, I'm not going to say they are better than us. I think they played better than us today and last week."

cunningham06
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Nice, Thumper's back.

One thing I noticed during the game was our corners cannot get off blocks. Asante and Sheldon were both getting blown up by blocks and getting taken out of plays. That was what was so frustrating to me, seeing them get pushed out of the play. That's where I miss Dawk the most. You think some WR is gonna block Dawkins? Hell no, they are just likely to get embarassed. We need a hard hitting safety who can come fill in against the run, that's a big need for our defense right now.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
McNabb>Kolb

Thumper
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
McNabb>Kolb

lies!

I like McNabb but he hasn't played well this month at all and I am starting to think that his best football is behind him, he can still move but the negative is that he holds the ball far to long, he doesn't hit people in stride, his accuracy is terribly spotty, he commits genocide on the worms and he was just overall sketchy for the past month. The whole situation with McNabb was that he didn't suceed because he didn't have the weapons, well now he has more than his fair share of weapons and he played arguably two of the worst games of his career.

Kevin Kolb made some bad mistakes against New Orleans but he nearly hung 400 on them despite not even having Jeremy Maclin as a viable weapon yet. The guy was more accurate with the passes, the receivers had room to run, he has a good arm, he is mobile and overall I was impressed with him in his 2 starts aside from 1 pick which really was just a young QB mistake of not seeing a LB.

Perfect Example:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsfI3E6wP7g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsfI3E6wP7g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I know all of you are going to pull up the 15 of those McNabb did but if you watch those you'll see him have to adjust to the ball, slow down, speed up, stop etc. etc. This ball was thrown perfectly, not to long, short, wide left, wide right, it hit him right in stride and it is a perfect example of all the skills Kolb has because you see him step up in the pocket to buy time, we saw that same scenario a bunch of times the past two weeks with pass rushers wide and getting pressure and in those situations McNabb would get happy feet and run around, the ball was thrown accurately, it shows he has the arm strength and I can't find a good highlight video of him in the NFL but he is actually fairly mobile. And he will stare down the barrel of the defense and take a hit, just like he did in that video, if that was McNabb you would've seen him try and evade the pass rusher instead of firing it deep.

eagles6606
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Nice, Thumper's back.

One thing I noticed during the game was our corners cannot get off blocks. Asante and Sheldon were both getting blown up by blocks and getting taken out of plays. That was what was so frustrating to me, seeing them get pushed out of the play. That's where I miss Dawk the most. You think some WR is gonna block Dawkins? Hell no, they are just likely to get embarassed. We need a hard hitting safety who can come fill in against the run, that's a big need for our defense right now.

Our corners were eaten alive by Dallas last night. The Cowboys recievers were just flat out beating us. Even Roy Williams who was having a disaster season prior to last night. The Eagles definately need a starting free safety. Sean Jones is a strong safety, Macho doesn't have the physical skills or discipline, and Demps doesn't have the intelligence or discipline. The Eagles need a safety who can match up in coverage, as well as defend the run. This will allow Mikell to be a player in the run game, like he was last year.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree that Kolb gave me hope with those two starts, but this is still McNabb's team. Last night was a lot of the receivers not being able to get open than McNabb holding on to the ball too long. McNabb is still a top QB in this league.

brat316
01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Mays for safety.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Thomas>Mays

Thumper
01-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I agree that Kolb gave me hope with those two starts, but this is still McNabb's team. Last night was a lot of the receivers not being able to get open than McNabb holding on to the ball too long. McNabb is still a top QB in this league.

I find it very hard to believe that Dallas had perfect coverage on nearly every play. It makes it hard for us fans because we don't know who to blame but McNabb was just holding onto the ball way too long and meanwhile on the opposite team Tony Romo was just firing away hitting players in stride, something McNabb couldn't do to save his life these past 2 1/2 games.

I just want to end this era of disappointment and see what Kevin Kolb has got, if worst comes to worst at least we can get Mark Ingram or Ryan Williams.

Thumper
01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Thomas>Mays

Took the words right out of my mouth! Earl Thomas plz!

Todd Bertuzzi
01-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I find it very hard to believe that Dallas had perfect coverage on nearly every play. It makes it hard for us fans because we don't know who to blame but McNabb was just holding onto the ball way too long and meanwhile on the opposite team Tony Romo was just firing away hitting players in stride, something McNabb couldn't do to save his life these past 2 1/2 games.

Well Dallas' defense played a lot better than ours. Romo had all the time in the world meanwhile McNabb was getting pressured non stop thanks to our make shift o-line. Romo had receivers getting open, McNabb did not. Dallas balanced a good run game with a good passing game, Philly did not. We only ran the ball 10 time and passed 37, whereas Dallas ran 30 times and passed 35.

I just want to end this era of disappointment and see what Kevin Kolb has got, if worst comes to worst at least we can get Mark Ingram or Ryan Williams.

um what?

Also something I haven't heard a lot of discussion about is the atrociousness of Ed Hochuli.

mellojello
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I just hope the Eagles don't draft a WR in the first round.

LonghornsLegend
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth! Earl Thomas plz!

Took the words right out of my sig :D

brat316
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
No Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams I don't mind. But you might have to wait till next year.

Thumper
01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
um what?

I'm sick of the same story year after year, McNabb leads the team on a late season run, they're the hot team, they're the cool pick and boom disappointment, happens every single time. Screw it, I'm sick of McNabb coming out and playing like poop in tough games, I want to see what Kolb has got and if he doesn't work out (aka he falls on his face, which I doubt he does) I would be content to grab a stud from the college ranks with a high pick.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm sick of the same story year after year, McNabb leads the team on a late season run, they're the hot team, they're the cool pick and boom disappointment, happens every single time. Screw it, I'm sick of McNabb coming out and playing like poop in tough games, I want to see what Kolb has got and if he doesn't work out (aka he falls on his face, which I doubt he does) I would be content to grab a stud from the college ranks with a high pick.

Well we just spent a 2nd on Shady so let's see what he does with a full season as a starter and I'm sure if Kolb fell fat on his face we'd be deciding between Mallett and Locker.

Thumper
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Well we just spent a 2nd on Shady so let's see what he does with a full season as a starter and I'm sure if Kolb fell fat on his face we'd be deciding between Mallett and Locker.

Oh don't get me wrong I really like Shady but I just think that you don't pass on guys with Ingram or Williams type ability, they could be the next LT or AD.

But if that situation arises I'm pulling for Jacory Harris in the QB race over all the others.

camp_eagles
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
About Kolbs two "Monster" games 1) he played the Cheifs 2) alot of his yards against the saints were in the 2nd half when the game was out of reach. "While Kolb put up spectacular numbers on the day (31 of 51 for 391 yards), the effort was largely amassed during garbage time and had no real impact on the game's outcome." - Bucky Brooks.
Also if you think Mcnabb falls apart in the playoffs whats Kolb gonna do if they get down after half he threw 3 2nd half picks against the saints.
The Eagles seem to run the ball alot more when ever Mcnabb is not playing remember our run to the playoffs with Garcia.
Conclusion:
Giving up on Mcnabb now means this team is giving up on the superbowl. and wanting change for the sake of change is dumb there are plenty of teams that would take Mcnabb in a heartbeat.

cunningham06
01-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes, that's why I would like to see what we could get in a trade for McNabb. We could probably get a high pick from a team like Tampa Bay for him.

Sniper
01-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes, that's why I would like to see what we could get in a trade for McNabb. We could probably get a high pick from a team like Tampa Bay for him.

For a QB in his mid-30s with a terrible injury history? Mmmmmk.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I think injuries finally caught up to you guys. To be honest, I was thoroughly impressed with the Eagles this year.

How could you not be? They had catastrophic injuries and STILL made the playoffs, and were 1 game away from the 2 seed. Thats amazing. The depth on this team was amazing, the coaching for most of the year was great, and it just shows how strong this team is.

Having that said, there is a fatal flaw with the Eagles moving forward offensively. You've become too vertical in your passing game. Its great to have weapons like that and on paper its deady, but you NEED that one guy who is a major threat up the middle. It should be Celek, but Celek has actually been used vertically this year more than I expected. Avant should also be that guy, but wasn't used as much as he should have been used.

Also, be more creative with DJax. More WR screens. More slants. The guy can do it all, he's one of the best WRs in the game in my eyes. Reid fell in love with Jackson's ability to clear out the field for everyone else and made his routes too predictable late in the season. He made it easy for DCs by being vanilla with Jackson.

As for defense, you need a Safety. Another End too. But safety is definitely the biggest need.

cunningham06
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
That's a good point, but with the new qb rules its getting exceedingly more rare to see a starting qb knocked out for a whole season. McNabb's probably got another 3 or 4 seasons left in him, someone would be willing to roll the dice on him. Maybe not Tampa Bay, but Oakland for damn sure might. I'm not saying a team would part with their first round pick for him, but maybe a second or third rounder.

Thumper
01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Honestly the more I think about it the more I think Andy Reid called an awful game all around, he did nothing to slow down the Dallas pass rushers, he has one of the best tight ends in the NFL who is has fantastic hands, he has 2 of the better screen backs in the game, the best screen game in the NFL, two receivers who can take a slant to the house and he absolutely refused to do anything other than throw deep.

I still don't think McNabb should be back, he has been great and at times it has been fun but it is time to move on, his best football is behind him and the Eagles should sell him high instead of letting him walk next year, there are a couple options right now, resign both Kolb and McNabb in 2011, keep Kolb and trade McNabb now and sell him high, trade Kolb and get rid of the future or let one walk and get no return in 2011. McNabb's time is coming to a close and the Dallas games hopefully expedited that.

Macarthur
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I think injuries finally caught up to you guys. To be honest, I was thoroughly impressed with the Eagles this year.

As a Cowboys fan, I agree. I think after a tough loss, everyone is overreactive. I know we were last year after our disaster in Philly.

The reality is that you guys won 11 games while sustaining tons of injuries. If you guys address a couple of things in FA and the draft, you will be fine.

One thing I think you need badly is a big WR that makes tough catches. Jackson and Maclin are big threats, but I think Dallas showed that if you are able to rush and keep your safties deep, it severely limits your offfense. And really, I know it sounds like a broken record, but Reid needs to run the ball more.

Thumper
01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Oh and the Eagles kicked off the offseason by signing former Penn St. C AQ Shipley a guy who I like so I definitely approve of this, he is a tough, hardnosed center who just gets the job done. They signed him off of the Steelers practice squad.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm not trading McNabb for a first round pick, let alone a 2nd or 3rd. Franchise qbs don't just grow on trees. McNabb had a great year and the loss on Saturday was not his fault at all. I'm not sold on Kolb and I'd like to see more of him before we decide he's our QB of the future. McNabb's best years are not behind him by any means. He's playing just as well now as he ever has. He is still a top 10 qb in this league.

mellojello
01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm not trading McNabb for a first round pick, let alone a 2nd or 3rd. Franchise qbs don't just grow on trees. McNabb had a great year and the loss on Saturday was not his fault at all. I'm not sold on Kolb and I'd like to see more of him before we decide he's our QB of the future. McNabb's best years are not behind him by any means. He's playing just as well now as he ever has. He is still a top 10 qb in this league.I don't understand how anyone can watch either game against the Cowboys and fault McNabb. It's just sad.

mellojello
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
As a Cowboys fan, I agree. I think after a tough loss, everyone is overreactive. I know we were last year after our disaster in Philly.

The reality is that you guys won 11 games while sustaining tons of injuries. If you guys address a couple of things in FA and the draft, you will be fine.

One thing I think you need badly is a big WR that makes tough catches. Jackson and Maclin are big threats, but I think Dallas showed that if you are able to rush and keep your safties deep, it severely limits your offfense. And really, I know it sounds like a broken record, but Reid needs to run the ball more.Yeah, the Cowboys looked like dodo at the end of last year. Remarkable turnaround. I agree that Philly isn't very far off from a great team, but I don't consider WR a weekness, at all.

brat316
Oh and the Eagles kicked off the offseason by signing former Penn St. C AQ Shipley a guy who I like so I definitely approve of this, he is a tough, hardnosed center who just gets the job done. They signed him off of the Steelers practice squad.

He blows, to short and very short arms.

Thumper
And the Eagles signed both Jordan Norwood and Dobson Collins to 3 year deals. Dobson Collins is 6' tall and 180 pounds with 4.4 speed and Jordan Norwood is a 5'11" 180 pound receiver with 4.57 speed. Clearly Andy isn't going for a big target soon.

Collins profiles as a back-up X receiver and Norwood profiles as a Y receiver and punt returner. So essentially Collins could be Maclin's back-up and depending on whether or not Jason Avant leaves in free agency Norwood might be the starting slot receiver.

AQ Shipley was also signed to a 3 year deal, I noted his signing a few posts earlier but forgot to mention for how long.

Thumper
01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
He blows, to short and very short arms.

I liked him in the draft a bit, definitely don't think he is ever a starter but I think he could be a decent back-up and I like his toughness and attitude, should make for some more physical training camp battles.

Thumper
01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't understand how anyone can watch either game against the Cowboys and fault McNabb. It's just sad.

Then you obviously didn't watch the games, the guy was inaccurate as hell both games, missed wide open players, he had happy feet, tried to be the hero and buy time when he should've just thrown it to a checkdown option instead of relying on DeSean Jackson to get deep every time. He was flat awful and a lot of the problems on offense fall on his shoulders.

Perfect example, two of the biggest gains of the night came on shorter throws to Westbrook and Celek, but he still looked deep every time, Andy Reid and McNabb have fallen in love with the deep ball and it bit them in the ass.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Then you obviously didn't watch the games, the guy was inaccurate as hell both games, missed wide open players, he had happy feet, tried to be the hero and buy time when he should've just thrown it to a checkdown option instead of relying on DeSean Jackson to get deep every time. He was flat awful and a lot of the problems on offense fall on his shoulders.

Perfect example, two of the biggest gains of the night came on shorter throws to Westbrook and Celek, but he still looked deep every time, Andy Reid and McNabb have fallen in love with the deep ball and it bit them in the ass.

Did you watch the games?

On a side note, one of the reasons we lost was Ed Hochuli. Why is he allowed to ref in the playoffs anymore? That pi call on Sheldon Brown was bs and was a big momentum shifter. I don't usually like to blame the refs, but the reffing was downright awful and fairly one sided in this game.

Thumper
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Did you watch the games?

One of the reasons we lost was Ed Hochuli. Why is he allowed to ref in the playoffs anymore? That pi call on Sheldon Brown was bs and was a big momentum shifter.

Are we really going to blame the refs for this loss? I played that card in the 20-16 loss the Eagles had but there is absolutely no way the refs decided this game, the Cowboys had the Eagles number, they negated every single thing the Eagles tried to do and did everything they wanted to do, the refs can only affect the game so much and sure they made bad calls but I can't even make that excuse, do the refs get all the blame for missing tackles on Jason Witten, Miles Austin or what about the fact that Felix Jones raped the defense? Refs can't be blamed for that and they can't be blamed for McNabb being psyched out and happy footed nor can the be blamed for constantly running silly deep routes that the Cowboys clearly weren't buying.

brat316
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Play calling sucked. Andy always get scared when they fall behind opting to throw deep every play to catch up, even if its 3-0.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Are we really going to blame the refs for this loss? I played that card in the 20-16 loss the Eagles had but there is absolutely no way the refs decided this game, the Cowboys had the Eagles number, they negated every single thing the Eagles tried to do and did everything they wanted to do, the refs can only affect the game so much and sure they made bad calls but I can't even make that excuse, do the refs get all the blame for missing tackles on Jason Witten, Miles Austin or what about the fact that Felix Jones raped the defense? Refs can't be blamed for that and they can't be blamed for McNabb being psyched out and happy footed nor can the be blamed for constantly running silly deep routes that the Cowboys clearly weren't buying.

I'm not blaming the refs for the loss. Cowboys were the better team and it showed. I just think the reffing was atrocious, but I've come to expect that from Hochuli.

mellojello
01-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Perfect example, two of the biggest gains of the night came on shorter throws to Westbrook and Celek, but he still looked deep every time, Andy Reid and McNabb have fallen in love with the deep ball and it bit them in the ass.I watched both games and I've watched enough Eagles games to understand that their defense is not Superbowl caliber. Joe Montana could not have saved Philly's season. On a total side note, I won't be totally surprised if the Jets beat SD. I definitely like them ats. I hope the Cowboys beat the Vikings.

mellojello
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I hope the Cowboys beat the Vikings.Actaully, I say the Cowboys will beat the Vikings.

superman8456
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I've never been one to blame McNabb really. I believe he has been the best thing to happen to this franchise in a while. This playoff run/end of the season has been one of the poorer performances of his career. I was thoroughly disappointed with his play late in the season. Granted, it's not all his fault, but he's a veteran now like he has said, he has accomplished everything but a SB ring. The way we're going right now, he probably wont ever get one in Philadelphia. I have full faith we can right the ship this offseason though.

Our defense has been...awkward. Our CB's are great, but they've been fairly inconsistent, and much of it is due to the inconsistency in rushing the passer. During the Cowboys game, our dline was getting shut down. Flozell was even eating Trent Cole's lunch. Our inability to cover a tight end killed us. One of the factors in our lose to the Raiders.

I'm going to give Sean McDermott a pass on this season because of the injuries and it being his first season. Next season, no excuses. With the talent on this defense, we should be holding teams to at the most 10-17 points.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Not to mention this is the first time McNabb's been one and done in his career.

Thumper
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I watched both games and I've watched enough Eagles games to understand that their defense is not Superbowl caliber. Joe Montana could not have saved Philly's season. On a total side note, I won't be totally surprised if the Jets beat SD. I definitely like them ats. I hope the Cowboys beat the Vikings.

Great, so now the defense playing badly has an effect on how smoothly the offense is operating.... Do me a favor and tell that to Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner.

And McNabb doesn't shoulder all the blame, only a lot of the offensive portion where he just refused to get rid of the ball, I can't tell you how many times he would just take his focus off the receivers and would run around with happy feet like he was Vick in Atlanta and then he would throw the ball away.

And the defense is no excuse for completing 53% of his passes, 453 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 8 sacks taken and 3 fumbles in 2 games. And his performance on the field was even worse than the stats say, he didn't even complete a pass until half way through the second quarter on Saturday. Yep, thats the defenses fault.

Thumper
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Not to mention this is the first time McNabb's been one and done in his career.

With the most talented team yet.

mellojello
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Great, so now the defense playing badly has an effect on how smoothly the offense is operating.... Do me a favor and tell that to Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner.Haha...point taken. However, until I see for myself the NFL has fully transitioned into a offensive shootout, I still believe defense still wins championships. I realize this could be the year it all changes, but personally, I'll believe it when I see it. With that being said, the Cardinals aren't winning it all and if you're not winning it all, it's all for naught imo.

camp_eagles
01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
To change the topic a bit Im not sure how the rest of you guys like Ted Dashier but I would love it if the eagles brought in Bobby April. He was and has been a lone bright spot in the Bills organization for the past few years. I understand there are bigger needs but its hard to pass up an opportunity like this.

Thumper
01-13-2010, 12:11 AM
To change the topic a bit Im not sure how the rest of you guys like Ted Dashier but I would love it if the eagles brought in Bobby April. He was and has been a lone bright spot in the Bills organization for the past few years. I understand there are bigger needs but its hard to pass up an opportunity like this.

I also thought of this the other day, I would be thrilled to have him.

Also I think the Eagles should bring in Mike Wauffle from the Giants as the DL coach, he did a great job in New York and the defensive line desperately needs help because no one besides Trent Cole can pressure, maybe some good (better) coaching can help Victor Abiamiri.

Thumper
01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
So... I have finally figured out what I think is wrong with the Eagles. I pondered a lot of things, is it lack of talent? I ruled that out fairly quickly. Is it youth? Perhaps. But what I ultimately decide on was this, the culture surrounding the Eagles is all wrong.

Culture? Yes the behavior and beliefs of this Eagles team is ALL wrong. But how did the culture change so quickly? Well the Eagles lost just about every single meaningful leader they had.

Tra Thomas the, smart, intelligent, wily LT with all world ability thrown aside for Jason Peters who has all world ability but probably isn't as smart and surely isn't as motivated, it seems like he quits when the going gets tough.

Jon Runyan the tough guy, the wily old veteran RT who had seen anything and everything, gone.
“What Jon has brought to the offensive line is that temperament of his," said Andy Reid. "He is going to maul you and beat you up and feel pretty good about doing it. That's been contagious all the way across the line."
That attitude is gone and who replaces him? The original replacement was Shawn Andrews who doesn't have anything that even seems like toughness, attitude or aggressiveness instead he would rather sit around with his pink mohawk talking about how he feels he was forced into football due to his size and sing about Michael Phelps smoking weed in his basement. Then surprise surprise Shawn Andrews is lost for the year (it should be noted that Jon Runyan had started 209 straight games, true iron man) and who replaces him? Winston Justice who 'luckily' for us is now extended! Woo! One might think Winston Justice changed since his complete ass whooping that he was handed by the Giants but he hasn't he is the same ole' Winston except now he is just playing RT.
"If they don't bite when they're puppies, they're not going to bite when they're grown dogs, It just doesn't look like he has any fight in him. If you look at his demeanor, it's like he's not even a football player.''
And he is the same guy, the guy who goes on his blog a few days after getting killed by Anthony Spencer and talks about how he went to McDonalds twice the day after the Cowboys loss and how he might start to look like Max Jean-Giles and Nick Cole. Yeah... Same old Winston, only this time he got his ass whooped by the Cowboys' Anthony Spencer who put up 3 sacks in 2 games against Winston and had even more pressure.

Brian Dawkins, the heart and soul of the Eagles team just walks off and signs with the Broncos. Gone is that soul of the defense, the guy who threw his body around with reckless abandon, gone is the guy who made all the pre-snap adjustments, gone is the great blitzing FS, run stopper, motivator and leader.
“That's what I love so much about this team.We have some warriors here. We have some guys who go out there and fight. That's the best thing about this team. No matter what happens, we just keep fighting. You have to love that.”
“It's simple, ... I'm always striving to do more. Whatever I accomplish, it's not enough. I don't get satisfied. That's not my nature.”
And who replaces him? A 5th round rookie, a 4th round 2nd year veteran and Sean Jones. Great job there Eagles organization. Macho Harris was a CB playing FS and he played with no discipline at all. Quintin Demps is just an idiot who makes stupid late hits and has no discipline either. Sean Jones can't play the pass to save his life and his tackling had become questionable as well.
I still can't believe the Eagles let him walk:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QLSrF81Q8rM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QLSrF81Q8rM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx-buFEqtgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx-buFEqtgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO-EekXOZC4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO-EekXOZC4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And then Jim Johnson is gone, that guy is irreplaceable, his calm voice, he was always cool and collected, never led guys on, always told it like it was, always was straight forward. He was truly the master of blitz, he was going to hit the offense in the mouth and just overpower an offense.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k6njmmxTZRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k6njmmxTZRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

All of those impactful people gone and in addition, Brian Westbrook and Sheldon Brown two more of the tough guys are fading, Stewart Bradley the guy who is supposed to carry on this legacy of smash mouth football gone in training camp.

Who replaces these guys?

Asante "I'm not paid to tackle (http://blogs.delawareonline.com/eagles/2009/10/23/samuel-im-not-paid-to-tackle/)" Samuel

Donovan McNabb who always does dumb things like this:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQglitXn8nY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQglitXn8nY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I completely agree with Les Bowen when he said this (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20100113_Les_Bowen__Eagles_offseason_matters_to_mu ll.html):
Everybody else has weighed in on McNabb's awkward air-guitar routine in the tunnel before the game in Dallas, so why not me? I just wish DMac would worry less about what he thinks he needs to project - looseness, confidence, whatever - and more about just being himself, being comfortable in his own skin. If he ever cleared that hurdle, he might really be the guy who could win the Super Bowl. Try answering a question as Donovan McNabb, instead of as the guy who is ever mindful of the burden he carries as a prominent black quarterback and franchise icon, etc., etc. Also, someone should tell him the "lovable goofball" bit was more appropriate at 23 than at 33.

The Eagles sign Michael Vick straight out of prison to the team.

DeSean Jackson takes a leadership role, and his version of leadership involves dancing in the end-zones after touchdowns and apparently "stingin' dey asses", which he thought would fire up his teammates.

Quintin Mikell is the guy that has to shoulder Dawkins exit and is required to do everything Dawkins did, clearly this affected him. The increased responsibilities clearly took their toll by late in the season. The previous couple years, Q was basically an in-the-box safety asked to play the run and occasionally cover a tight end or back. In ‘09, he was asked to do everything Dawk did. Problem is, he’s not as talented. He’s a hard working player with a good football IQ, but expecting him to make all the secondary calls, play the run, cover tight ends, backs and wide receivers the same way Dawkins did was unrealistic.

All of a sudden the Eagles are led by a bunch of young guys who would probably rather be at home or go to the club than watch film. Example A:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/4177403265_ca0d42e27a.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2667/4178163800_7268ba408a.jpg
Thats the two young stud receivers catching up with AI and going to the game during the middle of the week before the big playoff game, I dare you to find me a time where Dawkins did this.

Example B: Less than two hours after the Dallas game, DeSean Jackson (http://twitter.com/deseanjackson10) tweets this to Chris Johnson:
WHERE U AT WIT IT LET'S GET IT IN... ITS OFF SEASON NOW
Yes, less than two hours after the game he is asking Chris Johnson where he is so he can party with him, and apparently Chris Johnson parties a lot, I had to unsubscribe because I was sick of hearing about who he was meeting up and where he was going.

And I end with this from GCOBB (http://gcobb.com/the-eagles-team-attitude-is-changing-20100112.html):
The Eagles now play with the same attitude of their biggest players on each side of the ball- DeSean Jackson and Asante Samuel. They are a soft, finesse team that occasionally makes the big play.

brat316
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
That has a lot to do with your head coach. If he lets players get away with it, then they will continue. If he plays like a finesse team on the field, thats what the will be know for.

Thumper
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/053E0DOfbY618/340x.jpg

Bobby April, welcome to the Philadelphia Eagles! (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/14/eagles-nab-bobby-april/)

The Eagles have announced that April has been hired to take over Philly's special teams. He replaces special teams coordinator Ted Daisher.

Here is just a quick description of him: (http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/smarterstats/2008/11/ten-great-assistants.html#more)

During his current stint with the Bills (2004-present), April's return, punt, kick, and coverage units have never ranked lower than sixth in Special Teams DVOA (including first overall in his first two seasons there), having finished 24th in 2003. Those special teams established team record s in 2007: Roscoe Parrish's 440 punt return yards and 16.3 yards-per-return average, as well as kicker Rian Lindell's 18 straight field goals, are franchise records.

Thumper
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Good call! +rep

Go_Eagles77
01-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Wow, wasn't expecting that but that's awesome.

Ted Daisher was okay, but the special teams were just way too undisciplined this year, so it's a great move. I'm sure he's excited to work with D-Jack.

camp_eagles
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Im so happy right now this is a great first step to make in the offseason

superman8456
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm excited to see what he can do. Our special teams havent been that bad, but I think they could be improved upon.

Thumper
01-14-2010, 09:20 PM
The Eagles were dominated on special teams against Dallas, they were outcoached, the Cowboys would line up like they were trying to block the punt and this would force the Eagles to bunch things up and create more room for Crayton. Thats just good coaching and the Eagles need a great special teams coach.

Hopefully he can get a new punter as well.

Sniper
01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Hopefully he can get a new punter as well.

http://www.michigandaily.com/files/clf.FBC.vsMSU.10-25-08.030.jpg

Sniper
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100115/one

The Lindsay Lohan/Sam Ronson Award for "Couple That Most Needs to Break Up"

The McNabb/Reid relationship just isn't healthy for Philly fans. One of them needs to go. Let's pretend for a second that Reid didn't just sign an extension, Kevin Kolb isn't waiting in the wings and Donovan McNabb isn't an Oakland Raider waiting to happen. And let's agree that my favorite idea to solve this conundrum -- a "Loser Leaves Town" wrestling match on a special taping of "Monday Night Raw" in Philly -- can't happen. Or that my other favorite idea -- a best-two-out-of three darts match at Playmakers, with the loser getting shot by Marvin Harrison -- also can't happen. How much fun would it be if Eagles owner Jeff Lurie just held a press conference and flipped a coin? Heads, McNabb; tails, Reid. Would that be the highest-rated press conference ever?

We need to make this happen. I mean, I like the first two options, but the third is gold.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
You all suck!

Thumper
01-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Here is something that might spark some discussion, should the Eagles cut Brian Westbrook?

Pro: He is being phased out, he disrupted the rhythm of the offense, the Eagles were 7-1 without him, he is an injury waiting to happen, his replacement is already ready to takeover, cutting him would save the Eagles 9.8 million dollars

Cons: It is disrespectful to one of the greatest players in Eagles history, he is still filled with knowledge and could still help LeSean McCoy, he averaged 4.8 yards a carry after a 5 game layoff

So I think I know what some of you think we should do but looking at the Eagles pattern of events (cutting/letting go of premier veterans) I wouldn't put it past the Eagles.

Thumper
01-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Oh and here is my take on Donovan McNabb now that I'm not as frustrated, he will be the QB of 2010, should he be? I don't know, part of me likes his winning history and trusts him to at least get to the playoffs and the other part of me wants to see if Kevin Kolb can get done. But for what its worth I think it would be detrimental to cut McNabb's leadership. Kolb will be the QB one day, just not next year. If by the end of next season McNabb doesn't have a Lombardi Trophy on his resume he is done, after next season McNabb's and Kolb's contracts expire and the Eagles will choose who is the QB of the future and I think that decision is fairly easy to figure out, are you taking the nearly 35 year old McNabb or are you taking the 27 year old Kolb?

brat316
01-16-2010, 12:58 AM
ehhh on Westy, I thought the Eagles didn't pick up the option to keep him for this year?

If he takes a pay cut keep him, if he doesn't boot him. He is over the hill and he knows it. His weapon was his speed, and with the knee injuries and ankle injuries it has diminished. He can be kept around as a 3rd down back, he still has some left just not starting wise.

Maybe he can go back to returning kicks?

Sniper
01-16-2010, 01:15 AM
ehhh on Westy, I thought the Eagles didn't pick up the option to keep him for this year?

If he takes a pay cut keep him, if he doesn't boot him. He is over the hill and he knows it. His weapon was his speed, and with the knee injuries and ankle injuries it has diminished. He can be kept around as a 3rd down back, he still has some left just not starting wise.

Maybe he can go back to returning kicks?

Westbrook's weapon was never his speed. He's actually kind of slow for a RB. He relied on his quickness, agility and elusiveness.

Yes, cut him.

cunningham06
01-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Although I agree he's over the hill, Westbrook still shows some flashes catching the ball out of the backfield. At this point in his career he can't pound the rock or he's going down with an injury.

But I do love cap space, so I'd say cut him.

Thumper
01-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I feel like I've been a little to negative here lately... Time to bust out some positive stuff!

The biggest addition next season will be the return of Stewart Bradley.
http://www.hotstovephilly.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Stewart-Bradley-225x300.jpg

The guy will come back to be the leader of a defense without an identity, with all the rotating at FS, MLB, DE, WLB, SLB there was absolutely no continuity on the defense, a lot of this I feel is because Stewart Bradley wasn't on the defense. The defense was constantly trying new things to make the defense work better, but they didn't work. I believe there were siz different starters at MLB this season? Yeah, he will bring continuity to the middle of the defense. He is also an emotional leader of the defense all you have to do is look at the film to see that Stewart Bradley is a guy who leaves it all on the field and plays with intensity. Word out of Philly is that he is going full tilt in rehab and that he looks like he will be more than ready next season.

Plus, he is going to be the face of the defense and he is like our own Tom Brady on defense... He goes after models and stuff... He was also an intern at Elle magazine to learn about fashion last year.

So Stewart, it's good to have you and your fashion sense back.
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20090730/all/l3935386.jpg

Plus do I really have to go into the whole spiel of having two future top 10 receivers, 1 top 5 TE and a RB oozing with potential? No, but just think about it. Now if only we had a top offensive lineman....

Thumper
01-17-2010, 12:23 AM
And the word out of Philadelphia is from Cornelius Ingram who said about a month or two back that he thought it looked like Bradley was ready to go now (http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/all-egnotes.7078566nov06,0,3458627.story).

''Honestly, [Bradley] can play right now,'' Ingram marveled. ''There's times where if we're doing a certain drill, he might want to go full speed and [trainer] Rick [Burkholder] would have to ask us to calm down. But he's just a great guy to be around, big-time competitor at everything that we're doing, so it helps out a lot with me."

And the more recent word is from the Philadelphia Inquirer which said that Stewart Bradley appeared perfectly healthy when they ran into him at the Eagles' Training Complex on January 5th.

superman8456
01-17-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm going to say right now that I don't believe LeSean McCoy will be a very good back in the NFL. I think he is going to be pretty mediocre. LeSean does not come across as a player with an extremely high ceiling, and what you see is what you get.

That's not saying he won't be productive. I'm simply not a fan of his game.

FreshBoy!
01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
He's a finesse back. Not what you want to build your running game around.

Sniper
01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm going to say right now that I don't believe LeSean McCoy will be a very good back in the NFL. I think he is going to be pretty mediocre. LeSean does not come across as a player with an extremely high ceiling, and what you see is what you get.

That's not saying he won't be productive. I'm simply not a fan of his game.

He's a good backup RB, but I don't think he's starter-material.

Go_Eagles77
01-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately I have been thinking the same thing. Part of me wishes we didn't draft McCoy last year so we could go after a CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best this year. I'm not gonna give up on McCoy yet though, I think the O-Line was atrocious at run blocking this past year and McCoy very rarely had room to run, so hopefully that improves and we can see what he can do.

camp_eagles
01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I definitely do not think of Shady as a Westbrook type the eagles will need to have 2 backs . . . Lendale White????

Sniper
01-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Sign Reggie Bush + Lenwhale = championshipz!

cunningham06
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I'd like to see us look into acquiring Lendale, Tennessee doesn't really need him with CJ around.

superman8456
01-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Eh, I dont think LenDale is going to solve our problems. We have our short yardage type big backs in Eldra Buckley and Leonard Weaver. Both who have played really well this season. Eldra Buckley was one of our best special teamers.

I would want to see like a Reggie Bush/CJ Spiller type. Guys who have that speed thats just ridiculous. We seem to be more creative and we can find more ways to get the ball to those kind of guys.

Thumper
01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
And Dallas is beatable! The Vikings showed us how its done, the DEFENSIVE LINE, the Eagles need to upgrade the defensive line! The Eagles need to look at that game and make some changes on their own defensive line.

What would you guys think if the Eagles signed Richard Seymour or Julius Peppers? They should have the cap space to get it done and both would definitely change things, Peppers could play LE, joker LB anything in the front 7 he would be a crazy weapon to have and Richard Seymour can play any spot on the defensive line and we saw first hand what he did to our line a few weeks back.

The Eagles need to upgrade the defensive line and my plan is sign a big FA, draft someone early, cut Trevor Laws, draft a pass rusher at DT and finally play Antonio Dixon way more often, that guy was the Eagles best DT in the Cowboys games the UDFA outplayed the two studs.

brat316
01-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah and on offense be more physical. You saw Rice and how treated Jenkins.

Thumper
01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah and on offense be more physical. You saw Rice and how treated Jenkins.

Maclin had a similar game, obviously he didn't have 3 touchdowns but he had more catches and more yards, give Maclin time and he will become a receiver who can be physical like Rice, he doesn't have those extra 4 inches that Rice has but he weighs the same and is a tad bit more athletic (he tested a little better at the combine).

I think people sleep on Maclin thinking he can't be physical but he can be, he is extremely good at running after the catch and against the Cowboys he showed a ton of fight, stiff arming Ken Hamlin out of bounds and shoving Mike Jenkins into Jason Peters. He can be physical and I hope that he plays motivated all the time like he did against the Cowboys because he looked amazing.

superman8456
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
What would you guys think if the Eagles signed Richard Seymour or Julius Peppers? They should have the cap space to get it done and both would definitely change things, Peppers could play LE, joker LB anything in the front 7 he would be a crazy weapon to have and Richard Seymour can play any spot on the defensive line and we saw first hand what he did to our line a few weeks back.

The Eagles need to upgrade the defensive line and my plan is sign a big FA, draft someone early, cut Trevor Laws, draft a pass rusher at DT and finally play Antonio Dixon way more often, that guy was the Eagles best DT in the Cowboys games the UDFA outplayed the two studs.

I dont think our chances are too good. As I look at it right now, our depth chart on the dline is too crowded as is. We have sooo many bodies, but no one is producing ****. We're getting above average play out of some people though.

If I had my choice I would get Peppers, but our LDE is so crowded with Abiramiri, Parker, and Howard. Seymour would be the more useful of the two and he would play DT for us.

Thumper
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
The only thing is that both are older guys heading into the latter part of their careers and those aren't the type of guys the Eagles typically bring in as free agents.

But I do think that the depth is insane but like you said no one is producing, the Eagles need to cut the dead weight which means we have got to get rid of Jason Babin, Chris Clemons, Darren Howard, Victor Abiamiri and Trevor Laws. Personally I like Chris Clemons and he flashes from time to time so I would keep him and Abiamiri is a good run stuffer at the LE spot and he is a decent situational UT so he is a good player to have, so I would say bye to Babin, Howard who is older and eats up cap space and Laws who hasn't done jack squat in his two seasons in the NFL and has even been overtaken by Antonio Dixon for the 3rd DT spot.

superman8456
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Cuts/Not Re-Signed
-Jason Babin, played well last year but the roster is too crowded for him.
-Michael Vick, no reason for the Eagles to take the 2nd year option. Best for both parties IMO
-Alex Smith, didn't do much in his opportunities.
-Chris Gocong, he has been outplayed by Moise Fokou, a 7th round pick.
-Reggie Brown or Kevin Curtis, one of them has to go, I'm not sure which one the franchise is more comfortable with.
-Sav Rocca, too much inconsistency.
-Sean Jones, had an alright season, too expensive for poor production
-Joe Mays, this year was his opportunity and he squandered it.
-Omar Gaither, should get a 3rd round tender but he will probably get signed by some team

Signings/Re-Signings
-Leonard Weaver, made the ProBowl, what else is there to say?
-Antonio Dixon, showed some promise against the Cowboys
-Ellis Hobbs, needed for depth
-Max Jean Gilles, he could start somewhere else but I hope we keep him
-Jason Avant, best hands on the team, 3rd down machine
-Akeem Jordan, one of our better LB's on the team

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Brandon Manumaleuna is going to be an FA this offseason. I'm not sure if that is true with the whole cap situation though. I've seen a couple Chargers games, and I've always liked this guy. He is a good blocker and seemed like a good receiving threat. I would love to get rid of Alex Smith for this guy. This is also some security if Cornelius Ingram doesn't come back from his injury like anticipated.

I would also like to see us go after a LB in FA. Its going to be a very confusing offseason though. I think there will be a lot of them available. Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Karlos Dansby are ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Draft
1) Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (Backup pick: Brandon Spikes, MLB, UF)
2) Daryl Washington, LB, TCU (Backup pick: Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss)
3a) Patrick Robinson, CB, FSU (Backup pick: Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri)
3b) JD Walton, C, Baylor
4a) Morgan Burnett, S, GT
4b) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
6) Jon Jerry, OG, Ole Miss
7) Brandon James, RS, Florida

Like I've said before, we should trade out of the 1st and gain some extra picks. We could nab a lot of quality players this year. I think some of our main priorities are DE, LB, C, CB, FS, DT, big target type WR and P.

Sniper
01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
1) Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

Jizz in mah pantz!

Thumper
01-18-2010, 02:18 PM
We might not have to worry about what is done with Brian Westbrook who according to sources is close to retiring. According to Howard Eskin, Westbrook's left knee is so bad that he wouldn't be able to pass a physical for another team even if he does get cut or traded and he says that there is "almost no chance" he returns to the Eagles. What a shame to see such a great career end like this and I wish the Eagles could've at least gotten him a ring, Westbrook might have to call it quits just 544 yards from holding the franchise rushing record a number he would've topped this season if he had remained healthy.

Thumper
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Free Agency:
Ryan Clark S Steelers- A veteran at FS who has proven his worth in a blitz heavy scheme in Pittsburgh.
Angelo Crowell LB Buccaneers- Is a decent SLB who is agile and quick but he missed the entire season with an injury.
Tony Pashos RT San Francisco 49ers- Once regarded as an underrated RT he was released by the Jaguars to make room for Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton. He is still a big body at RT who is a good enough in the pass game and gets a solid push in the run game.

Resign:
Akeem Jordan- He was a good WLB but he is a very bad MLB and I think Sean McDermott needs to realize that, he is not a MLB at all and is best at WLB where he can run in space and use his athletic ability which is very good. Plus he is a good special teams player. Plus he is a RFA so he is basically a lock to be back.

Alex Smith- Is a solid #2 TE who can go out and catch passes and he is surprisingly a good blocker, I think the Eagles keep him around just in case Cornelius Ingram can’t go and because he really is solid depth.

Martin Rucker- Andy Reid supposedly really likes Rucker because he is a big target at TE (He is 6’5”) and he can really run, Andy will keep him around and have a new toy to tinker with on offense, Andy will have fun with an athlete at TE.

Nick Cole- Very solid depth, has started for the better portion of 2 seasons and has done it at 3 different spots and is a very capable fill in at all of them. Why would Andy let that kind of stability go?

Leonard Weaver- There are reports that say there is a mutual interest in a long term deal and I believe it, Weaver has had a career year and the Eagles finally have a real FB. He made the pro-bowl and figures to go there for years to come if he performs as well as he has this season.

Antonio Dixon- What a steal, he was cut by the Redskins and was picked up by the Eagles shortly, he entered the rotation immediately taking snaps in week 1 and has really improved every week. He is the big guy the Eagles need in the middle and he might even develop into a starter, the knock on him was that the light never went on for him but it has turned on and he is overtaken Trevor Laws as the third DT.

Eldra Buckley- He runs hard, as hard as anyone I’ve ever seen sure he won’t light the world on fire but I can respect this guy, he does it all he is a blocker on special teams and you often see him directing the eager returners to take a knee when they’re backed in the end zone and you always see him flying up field whether he is covering kicks or punts. The guy is one of my favorites on the team, he tries really hard, plays smart and he provides value in short yardage situations. Plus did you see that block he threw? The guy plays like a human missile.

Let Walk:
Max Jean-Giles- Sure he is nice depth but he didn’t play well last season.

Chris Gocong- Benched for a 7th round rookie, I think it is safe to say he is as good as gone.

Geoffrey Pope- Who? The Eagles picked him up from the Bengals practice squad a couple months back and that is the last you’ll hear of him unless you read the transaction wire when you read “The Eagles let Geoffrey Pope leave.”

Jason Babin- Nice story, nice guy, great effort and had a nice little run in the middle of the season where he had 3 sacks in 3 games but other than that he has been ineffective as teams learned how the Eagles used him and he was used less and less late in the season in favor of the underachieving Chris Clemons.

Omar Gaither- Bye Gaither, you did well but you are in the dog house and with the emergence of Akeem Jordan, the trade for Will Witherspoon and the return of Stewart Bradley you have no role on the team.

Sean Jones- after being benched for Macho Harris he was promoted to starter, started hot against the Giants making a bunch of tackles but then just one week later he was exposed by the Cowboys, he is a decent player but not what Sean McDermott wants in the secondary because he was benched again in favor of Macho Harris after more than his share of mishaps in pass coverage.

Jeremiah Trotter- Was this anything more than a one and done deal? It was fun while it lasted, especially when he played his heart out against the Cowboys but he is finished.

Cuts:
Kevin Curtis- Has fizzled and has lost the starting X spot to Jeremy Maclin and the spot he figured to move to he slot has been filled by Jason Avant, he has no role and no value to this team. Plus he is behind Reggie Brown because Reggie plays special teams.

Trevor Laws- What the hell happened? This guy was supposed to be good. He has now been overtaken by UDFA Antonio Dixon and is a regular healthy scratch, he is as good as gone now.

Shawn Andrews- Waste of money and time, the guy isn’t ever going to be what he was and the Eagles need to stop relying on him because if he has proved anything it is that he is unreliable.

Stacy Andrews- He was brought in to shore up the RG spot with Shawn moving to RT and what does he do? Absolutely nothing. He is also a colossal waste of money and with no cap there is no better time to rid the Eagles of him so that there are no repercussions and even if the cap does come back, he has an opt out option for the Eagles who can cut him without any major cap hits.

Darren Howard- He is a waste of money, he had one good season and that is it and he is now aging and becoming even more ineffective. Cutting him would open nearly 5 million in cap space, his job is done equally as well by Victor Abiamiri.

Trades:
The Eagles trade Michael Vick to the Rams for a 5th round pick
-Vick isn’t worth much on the market, he showed flashes towards the end of the season so at least he is worth something but Vick is still an enigma that no one is going to give up a bunch of picks for, he goes to the Rams who run the same offense as the Eagles, plus they need a QB because they picked Ndamukong Suh with their first pick.

Draft:
Trade: Eagles trade the 24th pick and 158th pick (5th round) to the Jets for the 29th pick and the 93rd pick (3rd round).

1st (New York Jets)- Maurkice Pouncey OL Florida- The Eagles need to improve the interior of the offensive line, simple as that. Shawn Andrews really messed things up and created a hole at RG that really hampered the Eagles run game all season, but the Eagles survived without him running behind more athletic tackles and one of the more underrated guards in football, Todd Herramens. Finally against the Broncos the glue of the offensive line Jamaal Jackson tore his ACL and was lost for the year. So why are the Eagles drafting Pouncey? Well Jamaal Jackson is going to be 30 years old, he just tore his ACL and he weighs 330+ pounds, that knee isn’t ever going to be the same and we don’t even know if Jamaal will be ready for training camp much less the season, that knee is going to cause problems. And we all saw the importance of a good center, McNabb fumbled 2 snaps against the Cowboys because he wasn’t familiar with the center who was snapping, McNabb never looked comfortable in the pocket, there was no push up the middle in the run game etc. etc. and missing Jamaal Jackson really disrupted the offense’s rhythm, that can’t happen again.
Pouncey is a center who is the total package, he has the size at 6’5” and 320 pounds. He was overwhelming tackles in college and he was consistently going against NFL caliber/sized players in the SEC, he has the feet to mirror any defensive tackle in the game. Pouncey is the center prospect of the decade, he is better than Nick Mangold, Chris Spencer and Alex Mack all of whom were drafted in the first round. Plus he offers some versatility, he has the size and power to play OG very well and he has the feet and athleticism to play RT if needed. So, if and when Jamaal Jackson finally comes back Pouncey isn’t wasted, instead he can move to RG and be an improvement over Nick Cole. Pouncey was the best offensive lineman on an offensive line that paved the way for one of the top passing and running offenses at the college level, playing a key part in an offensive line that allowed Tim Tebow to become quite possibly one of the greatest college football players in the history of the game.

2nd- Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- The Eagles need a pass rush and at this point you have to take whatever you can get. Greg Hardy is a fantastic talent, a guy who was born to play the DE position but he has serious injury problems and the Eagles are taking a substantial risk on Hardy. When he was healthy Hardy was generally regarded as one of the top pass rushers in the college game with his combination of size, quickness and power. Hardy has the ability to be the LE the Eagles have been looking for but can he stay healthy and can he stay motivated? If he can watch out, this is a move that is high risk, high reward and is the definition of boom or bust.

3rd (Seattle)- Devin McCourty CB Rutgers- McCourty developed into a shut down corner in his last year at Rutgers with QBs simply avoiding his side of the field. He is a very well rounded corner who can come in and play the nickel spot right away, he is a very intelligent corner who doesn’t bite on double moves to try and make the big play like other Eagles corners do. McCourty is also a good run defender which is surprising for a man of his stature, he is a very aggressive run defender who will chase down plays from the opposite side of the field and he never quits on a play, he is also strong and has good tackling technique rarely missing a tackle even against more elusive players. McCourty is also a very well rounded player in coverage who can play in both man and zone schemes. Devin also figures to be a good special teamer which is part of the reason why he is brought in, with his speed and tackling he should be very good at covering kick and punt returns.

3rd- O’Brien Schofield DE Wisconsin- Like I said earlier the Eagles need a pass rush and they need to draft any lineman who can give it to them, regardless of size or position. Schofield is a guy who can provide instantaneous pass rush with his quickness and speed. The Eagles have a guy in Victor Abiamiri who can play the running downs at LE so the Eagles have at least a little flexibility at the DE spot where they can take a situational pass rusher like Schofield. He can be a scary weapon in the Eagles defense, he has the quickness to play the joker LB role and can really line up anywhere in a formation and cause havoc and Sean McDermott should really get creative with a player like Schofield. Schofield racked up 12 sacks, 8 QB hurries and 24.5 tackles for a loss in his senior season, he is however a big liability in the run game and will have to be coached up and bulked up if that is going to change.

3rd (New York Jets)- Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee- Westbrook retires and while the Eagles are convinced they have their starter already in hand with Shady McCoy, however, depth is needed. The Eagles are looking for a pick and they see Hardesty who reminds them of Correll Buckhalter. He is sort of the anti- LeSean McCoy, LeSean prefers to dance and be elusive, Hardesty prefers to run straight ahead, LeSean McCoy carries the ball loosely and has fumble problems and Hardesty has never fumbled in college, yes you read that right NEVER FUMBLED the ball. He is a nice fit in the Eagles system because he is a good receiver as well and a decent blocker. He is the perfect complement to LeSean McCoy and should be a nice change of pace back, a guy to power the football when LeSean McCoy leaves the field. Also he helps put a bit of a punch back in the short yardage situations which the Eagles can still improve on, instead of handing it to Weaver the Eagles can now hand it to Hardesty and he can run behind Leonard Weaver who is a good lead blocker.

4th- Devin Ross CB Arizona- The Eagles still need corner help, Asante Samuel is closing in on 30, Joselio Hanson is closing in on 30 and Sheldon Brown is on the wrong side of 30. Ross is a corner who is still getting better, he is smaller at 5’10” and 175 pounds but he is quick and pesky and can stick with his man in coverage very well. He also has the ability to handle zone coverage. He has great closing speed and can really stop on a dime and break on the ball. Also one of the main reasons the Eagles draft him is because he looks like a special teams ace, he can return kicks, he is very elusive and quick and he averaged about 21 yards a kick and with some more coaching he could be much better. Also he is one of the best special teams gunners in college football which makes him intriguing to special teams guru Bobby April who is getting the talent he wants with McCourty and Ross. Devin Ross was abused in his bowl game but that was due to terrible field conditions.

4th (New York Jets)- Shay Hodge WR Ole Miss- Hodge might never be a stud but he is solid, he is a bit bigger at 6’1” and 210 pounds and he is fairly fast with 4.5 speed. He has great hands and doesn’t drop passes often. And there are absolutely no character concerns with Hodge and he doesn’t even have an injury history. The Eagles just grabbed a rock solid depth player with potential to play a Jason Avant type role on the team.

5th (St. Louis)- Brandon James RB Florida- The Eagles need some serious help on kick returns, this played a huge role against the Cowboys, the Eagles in 2 games didn’t start one drive outside their own 20 and a lot of that had to do with the fact that the kick returners couldn’t get anything going. Brandon James is one of the most cerebral returners in recent college history who in 4 years racked up over 4,000 return yards and 5 touchdowns. This is another one of Bobby April’s targets and hopefully he can be an impact return man for the Eagles. Also he can be dangerous on offense, in Andy Reid’s offense one that gets running backs into open spaces quite often James could be scary especially in the screen game where James could use his lightning quick speed and elusiveness to make some serious plays. He is definitely never going to be an every down player, just another gadget on offense and a weapon on special teams.

6th (Indianapolis)- Zoltan Mesko P Michigan- The Eagles were thoroughly dominated in the field position battle against the Cowboys and Sav Rocca didn’t help a bit. Plus Sav Rocca shanks way more than he should, he’ll give you a great punt and then next time out he will shank the thing 30 yards and out of bounds at the 50 or something like that. Mesko averaged about 45 yards a punt in his senior year and he has a career average of 42 yards.

7th (Comp.)- Keaton Kristick LB Oregon State- Widely regarded as the meanest, most aggressive player in the Pac-10. He is smaller and not overly quick at 6’3” and 230 pounds with 4.7 speed but no one will ever say he doesn’t try hard. At this point in the draft Bobby April had his choice of special teamers and he thinks that with Kritick’s attitude he could be a good special teamer.

7th (Comp.)- David Gettis WR Baylor- The Eagles take a page out of the Cowboys book on this one, draft a physically talented WR late and develop him into a stud receiver, the Cowboys have done this numerous times with Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton and now Kevin Ogletree and its time for the Eagles to do the same. David Gettis is a 6’4” 215 pound WR target who is a track star and figures to run a high 4.3 or 4.4 at the combine. Gettis is a world class leaper as well, he has the frame of Randy Moss and all he has to do is develop as a receiver to hopefully evoke some images of Randy Moss. He can at least provide value as a deep threat in the Eagles new found love with the deep ball right off the bat and with his speed he is worth a shot at kick returner.

superman8456
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Draft:
Trade: Eagles trade the 24th pick and 158th pick (5th round) to the Jets for the 29th pick and the 93rd pick (3rd round).
Like the fact that we traded, but I would prefer to move down farther or get a pick for next year.

1st (New York Jets)- Maurkice Pouncey OL Florida- The Eagles need to improve the interior of the offensive line, simple as that. Shawn Andrews really messed things up and created a hole at RG that really hampered the Eagles run game all season, but the Eagles survived without him running behind more athletic tackles and one of the more underrated guards in football, Todd Herramens. Finally against the Broncos the glue of the offensive line Jamaal Jackson tore his ACL and was lost for the year. So why are the Eagles drafting Pouncey? Well Jamaal Jackson is going to be 30 years old, he just tore his ACL and he weighs 330+ pounds, that knee isn’t ever going to be the same and we don’t even know if Jamaal will be ready for training camp much less the season, that knee is going to cause problems. And we all saw the importance of a good center, McNabb fumbled 2 snaps against the Cowboys because he wasn’t familiar with the center who was snapping, McNabb never looked comfortable in the pocket, there was no push up the middle in the run game etc. etc. and missing Jamaal Jackson really disrupted the offense’s rhythm, that can’t happen again.
Pouncey is a center who is the total package, he has the size at 6’5” and 320 pounds. He was overwhelming tackles in college and he was consistently going against NFL caliber/sized players in the SEC, he has the feet to mirror any defensive tackle in the game. Pouncey is the center prospect of the decade, he is better than Nick Mangold, Chris Spencer and Alex Mack all of whom were drafted in the first round. Plus he offers some versatility, he has the size and power to play OG very well and he has the feet and athleticism to play RT if needed. So, if and when Jamaal Jackson finally comes back Pouncey isn’t wasted, instead he can move to RG and be an improvement over Nick Cole. Pouncey was the best offensive lineman on an offensive line that paved the way for one of the top passing and running offenses at the college level, playing a key part in an offensive line that allowed Tim Tebow to become quite possibly one of the greatest college football players in the history of the game.
Good player and there is a definite need. I'm kind of wondering why we use such a high pick on him though. I agree he has versatility which will bring him up draft boards, but he is still a mid 2nd type player. This pick would be better used on Mike Iupati for interior line help.

2nd- Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- The Eagles need a pass rush and at this point you have to take whatever you can get. Greg Hardy is a fantastic talent, a guy who was born to play the DE position but he has serious injury problems and the Eagles are taking a substantial risk on Hardy. When he was healthy Hardy was generally regarded as one of the top pass rushers in the college game with his combination of size, quickness and power. Hardy has the ability to be the LE the Eagles have been looking for but can he stay healthy and can he stay motivated? If he can watch out, this is a move that is high risk, high reward and is the definition of boom or bust.
Abiramiri's biggest problem is he cant stay healthy long enough to make an impact. Im not a fan of Hardy at all, so maybe its just my bias, but this guy is falling down draft boards. I wouldnt complain that much because of the need, but I would be a little disappointed.

3rd (Seattle)- Devin McCourty CB Rutgers- McCourty developed into a shut down corner in his last year at Rutgers with QBs simply avoiding his side of the field. He is a very well rounded corner who can come in and play the nickel spot right away, he is a very intelligent corner who doesn’t bite on double moves to try and make the big play like other Eagles corners do. McCourty is also a good run defender which is surprising for a man of his stature, he is a very aggressive run defender who will chase down plays from the opposite side of the field and he never quits on a play, he is also strong and has good tackling technique rarely missing a tackle even against more elusive players. McCourty is also a very well rounded player in coverage who can play in both man and zone schemes. Devin also figures to be a good special teamer which is part of the reason why he is brought in, with his speed and tackling he should be very good at covering kick and punt returns.
I think this depends on if we get Ellis Hobbs back or not. I would prefer a FS in this area because it's a deep class.

3rd- O’Brien Schofield DE Wisconsin- Like I said earlier the Eagles need a pass rush and they need to draft any lineman who can give it to them, regardless of size or position. Schofield is a guy who can provide instantaneous pass rush with his quickness and speed. The Eagles have a guy in Victor Abiamiri who can play the running downs at LE so the Eagles have at least a little flexibility at the DE spot where they can take a situational pass rusher like Schofield. He can be a scary weapon in the Eagles defense, he has the quickness to play the joker LB role and can really line up anywhere in a formation and cause havoc and Sean McDermott should really get creative with a player like Schofield. Schofield racked up 12 sacks, 8 QB hurries and 24.5 tackles for a loss in his senior season, he is however a big liability in the run game and will have to be coached up and bulked up if that is going to change.
If Corey Wootton is still on the board, I would prefer him, but I dont mind this pick. Also, DT could be a possibility here.

3rd (New York Jets)- Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee- Westbrook retires and while the Eagles are convinced they have their starter already in hand with Shady McCoy, however, depth is needed. The Eagles are looking for a pick and they see Hardesty who reminds them of Correll Buckhalter. He is sort of the anti- LeSean McCoy, LeSean prefers to dance and be elusive, Hardesty prefers to run straight ahead, LeSean McCoy carries the ball loosely and has fumble problems and Hardesty has never fumbled in college, yes you read that right NEVER FUMBLED the ball. He is a nice fit in the Eagles system because he is a good receiver as well and a decent blocker. He is the perfect complement to LeSean McCoy and should be a nice change of pace back, a guy to power the football when LeSean McCoy leaves the field. Also he helps put a bit of a punch back in the short yardage situations which the Eagles can still improve on, instead of handing it to Weaver the Eagles can now hand it to Hardesty and he can run behind Leonard Weaver who is a good lead blocker.
My RB pick would be Ryan Matthews out of Fresno State. Hardesty just came off a nice season though.

4th- Devin Ross CB Arizona- The Eagles still need corner help, Asante Samuel is closing in on 30, Joselio Hanson is closing in on 30 and Sheldon Brown is on the wrong side of 30. Ross is a corner who is still getting better, he is smaller at 5’10” and 175 pounds but he is quick and pesky and can stick with his man in coverage very well. He also has the ability to handle zone coverage. He has great closing speed and can really stop on a dime and break on the ball. Also one of the main reasons the Eagles draft him is because he looks like a special teams ace, he can return kicks, he is very elusive and quick and he averaged about 21 yards a kick and with some more coaching he could be much better. Also he is one of the best special teams gunners in college football which makes him intriguing to special teams guru Bobby April who is getting the talent he wants with McCourty and Ross. Devin Ross was abused in his bowl game but that was due to terrible field conditions.
Dont know much about this guy, so I wont complain.

4th (New York Jets)- Shay Hodge WR Ole Miss- Hodge might never be a stud but he is solid, he is a bit bigger at 6’1” and 210 pounds and he is fairly fast with 4.5 speed. He has great hands and doesn’t drop passes often. And there are absolutely no character concerns with Hodge and he doesn’t even have an injury history. The Eagles just grabbed a rock solid depth player with potential to play a Jason Avant type role on the team.
Problem with our WR corp is that we have 5 guys who bring the same element to the game. We need that 6'3+ guy that can climb the ladder, much like a Vincent Jackson. I think our offense is very similar to the San Diego Chargers.

5th (St. Louis)- Brandon James RB Florida- The Eagles need some serious help on kick returns, this played a huge role against the Cowboys, the Eagles in 2 games didn’t start one drive outside their own 20 and a lot of that had to do with the fact that the kick returners couldn’t get anything going. Brandon James is one of the most cerebral returners in recent college history who in 4 years racked up over 4,000 return yards and 5 touchdowns. This is another one of Bobby April’s targets and hopefully he can be an impact return man for the Eagles. Also he can be dangerous on offense, in Andy Reid’s offense one that gets running backs into open spaces quite often James could be scary especially in the screen game where James could use his lightning quick speed and elusiveness to make some serious plays. He is definitely never going to be an every down player, just another gadget on offense and a weapon on special teams.
I LOVE this pick.

6th (Indianapolis)- Zoltan Mesko P Michigan- The Eagles were thoroughly dominated in the field position battle against the Cowboys and Sav Rocca didn’t help a bit. Plus Sav Rocca shanks way more than he should, he’ll give you a great punt and then next time out he will shank the thing 30 yards and out of bounds at the 50 or something like that. Mesko averaged about 45 yards a punt in his senior year and he has a career average of 42 yards.
Another great pick.

7th (Comp.)- Keaton Kristick LB Oregon State- Widely regarded as the meanest, most aggressive player in the Pac-10. He is smaller and not overly quick at 6’3” and 230 pounds with 4.7 speed but no one will ever say he doesn’t try hard. At this point in the draft Bobby April had his choice of special teamers and he thinks that with Kritick’s attitude he could be a good special teamer.
I dont mind taking a flyer on him and seeing what happens.

7th (Comp.)- David Gettis WR Baylor- The Eagles take a page out of the Cowboys book on this one, draft a physically talented WR late and develop him into a stud receiver, the Cowboys have done this numerous times with Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton and now Kevin Ogletree and its time for the Eagles to do the same. David Gettis is a 6’4” 215 pound WR target who is a track star and figures to run a high 4.3 or 4.4 at the combine. Gettis is a world class leaper as well, he has the frame of Randy Moss and all he has to do is develop as a receiver to hopefully evoke some images of Randy Moss. He can at least provide value as a deep threat in the Eagles new found love with the deep ball right off the bat and with his speed he is worth a shot at kick returner.
Good pick. Good reasoning behind it.

I dont agree with the Shawn Andrews cut, however. IMO you cant give up on an All-Pro after an injury. Granted, he hasn't played in a while and he might never comeback as the same player, but dont cut him just yet. If we were to get rid of him, at least try and get some value for him in a trade. I'm sure the Lions, Rams, or some other team would have interest in him.

Can we trade Michael Vick? I dont know much about contract issues, but isn't it a team option for the 2nd year? Doesn't that mean if we use that option we can't really trade him.

brat316
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
To bad Eagles don't need a WLB always could convert Rolle into one. Still could be a good late round pick.

Thumper
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Cuts/Not Re-Signed
-Jason Babin, played well last year but the roster is too crowded for him.
-Michael Vick, no reason for the Eagles to take the 2nd year option. Best for both parties IMO
-Alex Smith, didn't do much in his opportunities.
-Chris Gocong, he has been outplayed by Moise Fokou, a 7th round pick.
-Reggie Brown or Kevin Curtis, one of them has to go, I'm not sure which one the franchise is more comfortable with.
-Sav Rocca, too much inconsistency.
-Sean Jones, had an alright season, too expensive for poor production
-Joe Mays, this year was his opportunity and he squandered it.
-Omar Gaither, should get a 3rd round tender but he will probably get signed by some team

Signings/Re-Signings
-Leonard Weaver, made the ProBowl, what else is there to say?
-Antonio Dixon, showed some promise against the Cowboys
-Ellis Hobbs, needed for depth
-Max Jean Gilles, he could start somewhere else but I hope we keep him
-Jason Avant, best hands on the team, 3rd down machine
-Akeem Jordan, one of our better LB's on the team

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Brandon Manumaleuna is going to be an FA this offseason. I'm not sure if that is true with the whole cap situation though. I've seen a couple Chargers games, and I've always liked this guy. He is a good blocker and seemed like a good receiving threat. I would love to get rid of Alex Smith for this guy. This is also some security if Cornelius Ingram doesn't come back from his injury like anticipated.

I would also like to see us go after a LB in FA. Its going to be a very confusing offseason though. I think there will be a lot of them available. Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Karlos Dansby are ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Draft
1) Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (Backup pick: Brandon Spikes, MLB, UF)
2) Daryl Washington, LB, TCU (Backup pick: Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss)
3a) Patrick Robinson, CB, FSU (Backup pick: Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri)
3b) JD Walton, C, Baylor
4a) Morgan Burnett, S, GT
6) Jon Jerry, OG, Ole Miss
7) Brandon James, RS, Florida

Like I've said before, we should trade out of the 1st and gain some extra picks. We could nab a lot of quality players this year. I think some of our main priorities are DE, LB, C, CB, FS, DT, big target type WR and P.

Alright Graham is alright, I like him for the intensity and hustle that he brings but I just don't see him ever beeing a special pass rusher, ever.
Washington is a good player that I REALLY like but I see no place for him on the Eagles, he is too small to play MLB in the Eagles scheme and the Eagles already have Akeeem Jordan, Will Witherspoon and Tracy White at that spot, great player but I don't think he can fit on the Eagles.
Robinson is questionable, I don't know if he'll be available at that point but while I do like his potential he was burnt all seasons and has bad balance which leads to separation by receivers.
The Eagles just signed a guy just like Walton, AQ Shipley from Penn St.
No way Burnett is there, that guy is a stud.
I like the last three picks.

Overall I like the positions addressed but I don't feel like the Eagles got anyone special out of the draft, solid players, intense and hardworking guys for the most part but I just don't think any of them could ever be pro-bowlers aside from Burnett who won't be there in round 4, he is likely a early-mid second round talent if not late first to the Steelers.

The only cut I don't like is Joe Mays who has developed into a good special teams player.

superman8456
01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Agreed on Joe Mays special teams. He did good in the Cowboys game, but doesnt have the ability to give us meaningful snaps. Waste of a roster spot. Maybe practice squad.

New Mock
1) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
2) Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
3a) Navorro Bowman, LB, PSU
3b) Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri
4a) Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
4b) Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke
5) Brandon James, RS, Florida
6) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan

Didn't bother with the last two picks. Some of the players dropped that probably wont on draft day.

eaglesalltheway
01-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Agreed on Joe Mays special teams. He did good in the Cowboys game, but doesnt have the ability to give us meaningful snaps. Waste of a roster spot. Maybe practice squad.

New Mock
1) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
2) Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
3a) Navorro Bowman, LB, PSU
3b) Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri
4a) Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
4b) Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke
5) Brandon James, RS, Florida
6) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan

Didn't bother with the last two picks. Some of the players dropped that probably wont on draft day.

The only way Bowman lasts until the third round is if he ***** up off the field again. I honestly think he will go late first...

Thumper
01-19-2010, 11:34 PM
The Eagles signed CFL Rookie of the Year Martell Mallett. He is 6' tall and 210 pounds and he has soft hands and runs hard, in his rookie season in the CFL he rushed for 1,280 yards, 6 Touchdowns on 214 carries and he added 43 receptions, 342 yards and 2 touchdowns receiving. Seems like a nice camp body with potential to me and that with some coaching he might be a nice fit within the scheme.

Also the Eagles worked out 3 running backs last week, he beat out DeDe Dorsey and some other UFL player. Does anyone else think this search for RB talent and depth might signify the end of Westbrook's career as an Eagle at least?

Sniper
01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
The only way Bowman lasts until the third round is if he ***** up off the field again. I honestly think he will go late first...

Who cares? We don't need another WLB.

superman8456
01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Who cares? We don't need another WLB.

He won't be an WLB in the NFL...

Thumper
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
He won't be an WLB in the NFL...

He doesn't even weigh 230 pounds and he is generously listed at 6'1"... he is clearly a WLB.

superman8456
01-21-2010, 06:52 PM
He doesn't even weigh 230 pounds and he is generously listed at 6'1"... he is clearly a WLB.

Good point, but Fokou was 223 lbs. at the combine and he is just a little over 6'1 as well. He since then has bulked up a little and became a starter as a 7th round draft pick. I have complete faith that Navorro Bowman can play SLB in the NFL. Of course he will have to bulk up a little bit, but his playing style is that of a SLB.

I'm all for having a big guy playing SLB, but we cant repeat having a 263 lb. LBer that cant cover.

superman8456
01-25-2010, 03:27 PM
So Tom Heckert is left, who do you think his successor is or will we even find a replacement?

I'm somewhat concerned because I think he did an absolute fantastic job scouting and evaluating players. He brought in a ton of talent over the past couple of years.

Go_Eagles77
01-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Isn't Howie Roseman his replacement? The dude is basically Joe Banner Jr. (and I don't mean that in a good way, just to clarify)

Thumper
01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
A QB is going to be traded to the Rams. His name is...

Michael Vick!

Link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=167020&id=2107)

And another trade is rumored to be in the works, John Clayton says the Vikings are going to 'make a play' for McNabb if Favre goes and Clayton is very reliable.

Thumper
01-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Here come the changes!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100127_Eagles_GM-to-be_Roseman_is_on_a_fast_rise.html

"I think it's so early in the off-season to get into the draft," Roseman said. "Right now you're just looking at talent and trying to get your board right, trying to get your ducks in a row as you go through the off-season process. I don't think really you can put yourself in a position . . . where you limit yourself."

The Eagles spent the week after the season ended with the playoff loss in Dallas evaluating the entire team, both players and coaches. They took the next week off and starting this week began looking seriously at roster changes.

Go_Eagles77
01-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Damn, we'd be stacked with draft picks if that happened. They'd definitely have to pick up a veteran QB to backup Kolb though as well as draft one in the late rounds.

superman8456
01-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Our QB depth would be pretty depleted if that happens. Hopefully Kolb wouldnt be injury prone.

camp_eagles
01-29-2010, 06:07 PM
I love reading the comments on the eagles web site, they are so dumb. ex the eagles just signed some camp body FB and ppl are assuming that this means that weaver isnt going to be resigned. classic

superman8456
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
I dont think were going to be able to get Brandon Graham anymore, so that leaves us with very few options. We could go Mike Iupati, Earl Thomas, or JPP in the 1st.

EDIT: Kyle Wilson just reminded me he's a beast.

cunningham06
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Iupati or Early Thomas would be awesome. Brandon Graham fits better in a 3-4 anyway.

Thumper
02-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I'd just like to say the Eagles are ********.

You all remember Corey Simon and Darwin Walker right? Two sack guys at DT. Well as we all sit here and complain about not having a DT that can rush the passer, what we didn't realize is that the Eagles scheme no longer calls for that. Pete Jenkins, you all remember him right? Yeah well he came in and established a TWO gap system on defense. Whats a two gap scheme? A two gap scheme is when a team typically has big defensive tackles and they take have to control two gaps and allow the linebackers to make plays.

So what are some teams that play two gap schemes? The New England Patriots do it, the Dolphins do it. The two gap scheme is a big 3-4 kind of thing, the NT in a 3-4 is a two gap player so guys like Vince Wilfork are the ideal 2 gap players.

So why are the Eagles ********? Well they run a two gap system with Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley. Brodrick Bunkley is an athletic marvel who should be set loose against opposing passing games, not looking to stuff the run first. Bunkley was actually one of the best pass rushing tackles in the nation way back in 2006 when he racked up 9 sacks and 25 TFL and then he ran a flat 5.0 at the combine while lifting 225 pounds 44 times, this guy should be let loose. And the year prior to that they drafted a guy nicknamed "Baby Sapp" who notched 21.5 sacks in his 4 years starting including a combined 13 in his Junior and Senior year and he had 36 tackles for a loss. See the problem? The Eagles are running a system typically used by teams with huge defensive tackles and the Eagles are running it with two guys who aren't 300 pounds, in fact I heard Brodrick Bunkley say he was in the 280 range a few years back in an interview. In addition they drafted Trevor Laws, another guy who is quick and should be in a 1 gap scheme.

The one guy who really fits the scheme is Antonio Dixon and there were times where he did look like the best tackle on the field, like the Dallas games.

Dumb. The Eagles need to revert back to the old 1 gap scheme and let Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley do what they do best which is get after the QB and then they can use Laws in a Sam Rayburn role and Dixon in a Hollis Thomas role.

Go_Eagles77
02-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Mike Patterson is at least 320 now, I don't care what his bio says. He's a run stuffer now. I agree with you on Bunkley though.

Thumper
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Mike Patterson is at least 320 now, I don't care what his bio says. He's a run stuffer now. I agree with you on Bunkley though.

Yeah, I kind of hoped nobody would call that.

But they made him into something he isn't he was 'Baby Sapp' not a two gap run stuffer and he is still fairly quick for a guy his size.

"Baby Sapp"
http://a.espncdn.com/i/pkg/05NFLdraft/250/8358.jpg
The Eagles Mike Patterson
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1986/mikepatterson.jpg

Thumper
02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Speaking of weight, the Eagles claim that LeSean McCoy weighs 210 pounds and that Macho Harris plays 195 pounds now.

Go_Eagles77
02-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Eagles hire former Browns GM Phil Savage

http://www.icerocket.com/search?tab=twitter&lng=&q=phil+savage&x=0&y=0

superman8456
02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Eagles hire former Browns GM Phil Savage

http://www.icerocket.com/search?tab=twitter&lng=&q=phil+savage&x=0&y=0

He has quite the role to fill with a lot of players needing to be resigned, cut, trades, etc.

Number 1 priority is Leonard Weaver.

Go_Eagles77
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
He's not the primary GM, he's just a consultant.

Thumper
02-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I am really liking all these veterans the Eagles are bringing in, the defense struggled to make key adjustments late and a lot of that was on Sean McDermott and his coaching staff, who if I remember correctly were all younger than 40. Now Dick Jauron comes in and while he ran a little cover-2 in Buffalo, he was a pure 4-3 guy in Green Bay. Jauron has head coaching and defensive coordinator experience and hopefully we can see a big improvement with a veteran on the coaching staff and with McDermott having a year under his belt.

Also I really like the Phil Savage hiring, he had issues in Cleveland but he didn't have much to work with and he was always looking to trade instead of draft because after his team went 10-6 and missed the playoffs he decided he needed veterans not rookies and then it turns out that Williams wasn't a 3-4 DE amongst other issues. But what we should realize is that he is a protege of Ozzie Newsome who is one of the absolute best in the business and in that time frame where the Ravens drafted players that went to something like 11 probowlers and likely 3 hall of famers in Jonathan Odgen, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. He has an eye for talent that much I can see, if you look at his drafts from 2005 and on for the Browns they were very solid with pro-bowlers like Braylon Edwards and Joe Thomas and other VERY solid players like Jerome Harrison, Brodney Pool, Lawrence Vickers, Leon Williams, D'Qwell Jackson, Kamerion Wimbley and Eric Wright just to name some of them and he had a very solid 2009 draft class. Keep in mind that he is only a consultant so he will help the two youngsters Howie Roseman and Ryan Grigson with the draft.

If there is one thing I like about Andy Reid it is that he runs his organization very well, specifically coaching, there is no seniority per say and he says that everyone has an equal say and I think that has a big part in why so many coaches like Andy Reid and why so many coaches who coached under Andy Reid have gone on to have success, they aren't kept quiet and held back and just told what to do, they actually have a say which is why I think that the guys who move on from the Eagles staff do have success because they aren't overwhelmed when they're put in a position of authority.

---------------------------------------------

Also I recall not a lot of you liking LeSean McCoy very much, and none of you ever said why. I don't know why you don't like him, he gets happy feet inside from time to time and he looks for big plays and loses yards rather than taking small gains but I don't think thats enough to say he isn't a future starter. He has feature back size at 5'10" and 210 pounds and he is quick, not especially fast but he has a second and third gear and he shifts gears up and down easily. He is elusive and has sick open field moves that can leave a guy behind or slow a defender down just enough. He is fantastic in the screen game just like Westbrook. His pass protection was questionable but to be fair he is still young and he did flash at times. And he can take contact, he isn't a bruiser by any means but he is slippery, guys kind of slide off of him at times. And he has tremendous balance in the run game, there were several instances where he maintained balance and gained extra yards, two examples that come to mind are the Chiefs TD and the Redskins 2 Point Conversion. I like him and feel like he is definitely the future of the RB on the Eagles and I am comfortable with him there. He holds the rookie rushing record and he averaged over 4 yards a carry despite not doing well in efforts he didn't start, in games he started he played very well.

superman8456
02-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Also I recall not a lot of you liking LeSean McCoy very much, and none of you ever said why. I don't know why you don't like him, he gets happy feet inside from time to time and he looks for big plays and loses yards rather than taking small gains but I don't think thats enough to say he isn't a future starter. He has feature back size at 5'10" and 210 pounds and he is quick, not especially fast but he has a second and third gear and he shifts gears up and down easily. He is elusive and has sick open field moves that can leave a guy behind or slow a defender down just enough. He is fantastic in the screen game just like Westbrook. His pass protection was questionable but to be fair he is still young and he did flash at times. And he can take contact, he isn't a bruiser by any means but he is slippery, guys kind of slide off of him at times. And he has tremendous balance in the run game, there were several instances where he maintained balance and gained extra yards, two examples that come to mind are the Chiefs TD and the Redskins 2 Point Conversion. I like him and feel like he is definitely the future of the RB on the Eagles and I am comfortable with him there. He holds the rookie rushing record and he averaged over 4 yards a carry despite not doing well in efforts he didn't start, in games he started he played very well.

I like McCoy, but I dont love him. He does a lot of things well, but nothing really great. He lacks the great speed to make him a gamebreaker or homerun threat and he isn't that big or that good of a runner between the tackles. His a good player, but he will never be a top 5 back in the NFL. He has some nice open field moves, but we've rarely seen him able to get in the open field last season. Only 3 or 4 instances pop up in my head of his ability to get in the open field.

His runnning style is hard to explain. I guess Thumper said it best with describing it as "slippery".

Thumper
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
It wasn't like Westbrook was a burner by any means either, he ran a 4.57 at the combine and LeSean McCoy ran a 4.5 and actually ran the first 10 and 20 yards faster than Westbrook did. He ran the 10 and 20 yards both .06 seconds faster and he ran the total 40 .07 seconds faster. I don't think speed is an issue, he isn't world class like CJ or Jamaal Charles but he is fast enough to get it done.

camp_eagles
02-09-2010, 07:32 PM
It wasn't like Westbrook was a burner by any means either, he ran a 4.57 at the combine and LeSean McCoy ran a 4.5 and actually ran the first 10 and 20 yards faster than Westbrook did. He ran the 10 and 20 yards both .06 seconds faster and he ran the total 40 .07 seconds faster. I don't think speed is an issue, he isn't world class like CJ or Jamaal Charles but he is fast enough to get it done.

I think I remember hearing that Buckhalter was faster than Westy. but straight line speed means nothing in football its all about your ability to maintain your speed in and out of cuts something Darren McFadden hasn't learned how to do yet.

cunningham06
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I think I remember hearing that Buckhalter was faster than Westy. but straight line speed means nothing in football its all about your ability to maintain your speed in and out of cuts something Darren McFadden hasn't learned how to do yet.

Darren McFadden also has the lower body of Desean Jackson... You hit him in the legs he goes down. I for one like Shady, but definitely think we need to get a good RB to pair with him.

Thumper
02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah I agree on the RB combo thing, Shady is a good player for longer downs because he will take a hole if its there and if it isn't he has the ability to create but when there is a tiny hole or when there is someone in the way, he refuses to plow forward for the easy yards for some reason and gets happy feet and I think a power guy is needed, Weaver was great but could you imagine having a power guy running behind Weaver? That would be better than having Weaver alone.

Go_Eagles77
02-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I would love to draft a guy like Ben Tate or Montario Hardesty in the 3rd or 4th round and have a 3 headed monster with McCoy, Weaver and whoever we draft. Of course that would require a bigger commitment to the running game, which I don't see happening.

superman8456
02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
LeGarrete Blount please. I think he would come cheap with our second 3rd round pick. Fits the bill of a big back that can give out a beating, but also has a little speed to him.

Thumper
02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Rumors are all over the place!

Panthers Beat Writer, Darin Gantt said on a radio show (97.5 in Carolina) that the Eagles are the front runners for Julius Peppers. ESPN insider rumors also says the Eagles are frontrunners for the supremely talented defensive end. And a host of internet blogs cite the Eagles as a team that Julius Peppers would fit very well.

Also Michael Lombardi proposed an interesting scenario in the NationalFootballPost, he said the Eagles should trade Kevin Kolb for Shaun Rogers straight up.

Interesting Shaun Rogers was one of the best in the NFL when he was a 4-3 DT and he is arguably still one of the best defensive tackles in the NFL. Julius Peppers is the original athletic freak, he was the guy who Mario Williams, Jamaal Anderson and now Carlos Dunlap are trying to emulate.

Alot of this talk stems from a comment Joe Banner made to Dave Spadaro on the Eagles website in a segment called "From the President's Desk" where he said (direct quote) "“I don’t think the difference is as dramatic as one may think just looking at the scores of those two games, but there is a gap there. We have to figure out how to close that gap and be ready to go next year.” And where were the Eagles manhandled the most? The front seven, Bunkley and Patterson couldn't stop the run, Trent Cole was doubled both games and Jaqua Parker and Company at LE were completely ineffective.

Now more evidence pointing to dramatic moves is the fact that Joe Banner said prior to the season "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." so one would infer that he wants to change things.

Also, Andy Reid is closing in on the end of his second 5 year plan and when his first five year plan was coming to an end he went out and signed Jevon Kearse, Terell Owens and Hugh Douglas.

So watch out for BIG moves on the horizon, the Eagles feel pressure from the Phillies who are gaining on the Eagles in terms of being Philadelphia's favorite team, from the Cowboys who suddenly look like a juggernaut and the entire season Joe Banner has hinted at change.

What kind of change? That remains to be seen.

Go_Eagles77
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Now more evidence pointing to dramatic moves is the fact that Joe Banner said prior to the season "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." so one would infer that he wants to change things.

Didn't Albert Einstein say that? lol

Also, I would hate that Kolb-Rogers trade. Definitely don't see that happening.

Thumper
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Didn't Albert Einstein say that? lol

Yes he did but Joe Banner said the same thing leading into the season.

Right now, I don't know what the Eagles are doing, they could go with a win right now route and trade Kolb for a veteran player and go and get Peppers and if things work out like I depicted in the first post, the Eagles front 4 would look like Trent Cole- Shaun Rogers- Brodrick Bunkley- Julius Peppers, that would be better than the Vikings, but again the Rogers thing is just a theoretical situation from a guy with no inside knowledge.

OR the Eagles could say eff it and just get rid of McNabb who would be the 'same thing' in the Joe Banner/Albert Einstein quote and stock up draft picks since the reality of the situation is that Kevin Kolb wouldn't do as good in the 2010-2011 season and just grab a bunch of young talent who can take a year to develop and then the Eagles can come out even stronger in 2011-2012 much like the Packers did in 2008-2009 then to 2009-2010.

Who knows what kind of change is depicted, but honsetly I see changes on the horizon, big ones.

bigbluedefense
02-10-2010, 06:10 PM
You guys don't need Shaun Rogers. Your DTs are studs. Complete studs.

Especially when you're giving up a guy who is most likely the qb of the future for your team for an old DT with attitude problems, old age, and fatigue issues.

No way.

Peppers, thats risky business. He definitely improves your team, but I just don't feel the guy is worth whatever price tag he'll generate. Getting Peppers probably gives the Eagles the best dline in the NFL though.

camp_eagles
02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
LeGarrete Blount please. I think he would come cheap with our second 3rd round pick. Fits the bill of a big back that can give out a beating, but also has a little speed to him.

he sure can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTYiCqzpcw

superman8456
02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Hmmmm....some interesting moves seem to be brewing.

I don't know how I feel about bringing in Julius Peppers. I think he is going to command a **** ton of money, something the franchise might have no problem doing, it's just so risky. Another thing is, I don't know how many years of solid production we can expect out of him, if we were to get him. Oh course I would welcome him with open arms, though.

I LOVE Shaun Rogers. He is a beast, and does well in a 34, but could flourish in our 43. I think he could provide the interior penetration that we need. The thing is I think the Browns still have some confidence in Brady Quinn and I'm not sure I wanna part ways with Kolb just yet. I think h

If we trade Kolb, we have to keep Vick for the future.

If we're in for 1 big FA signing, I think I would prefer Karlos Dansby than Peppers.

Thumper
02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
LB is probably the least important position in this scheme to be honest, the Eagles don't care about it all that much.

And plus a great LE can help cover up coverage issues so a big time LE could help mask Macho Harris and whoever starts at SLB which looks like it will be Moses Fokou at this point. Just look at the Vikings, fairly mediocre players all around that defense but the Williams Wall, Jared Allen and Ray Edwards really cover up that defense. Or look at the 2008 Superbowl Giants, they had mediocre players in the secondary and a combination of Tuck, Osi and Strahan covered that secondary up against the best pass attack ever. It doesn't matter who is covering downfield, if a QB has time he will find someone open no matter if you've got Revis and Aso at CB along with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu at safety, having a bad pass rush and a good secondary is like having great receivers and fielding a bad QB, just not sensible.

Sniper
02-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes please to Kolb for Rogers.