PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Eagles Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

bsaza2358
01-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I mean more from first round pick guys. The later round guys generally know the Eagles are interested, but the first rounders tend to be a surprise. I'd be interested in who the Eagles really talked to at the time.

Doctordulitl
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Along those lines, I refuse to believe that the Eagles are going to spend their first round pick on a backup OG, when there are significant and pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. I could see a DLine pick, but definitely not OLine first round.

I agree, it's absoultly crazy to think that they wou;d take an O-lineman when they have all 5 starters back next year as well as justice and jean-gilles who will know the offense better and will be ready to step in if there is an injury. There are so many more needs on the defensive side of the ball if they draft OL then you really have to question their decision making.

Even if adding someone on the OL adds more depth which they kinda already have they dont need OL, whereas they have no depth at safety, linebacker or even CB for that matter. OL woudl be a stupid choice any time on the 1st day of the draft!!

mpt117
01-24-2007, 01:48 PM
draftdaddy.com is saying we also took interest in Fresno St. CB Marcus McCauley...as for the OL, heres their projections:

Blalock: 1st-2nd round
Ugoh: 1st-2nd round
Wrotto: 4th-6th round (i think)

well reid has drafted a DL (whether be it DL or OL) every year since 2003 and one in 2000 so idk. but im getting sick and tired of always taking lineman and especially OL in the later rounds when we have other needs

bsaza2358
01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Yes, I'm sick and tired of getting starting caliber players as UFA and late round picks. Trent Cole, Fraley, Jackson, Heremens, Juqua Thomas, Laron Ramsey. It's terrible that the Eagles have made a habit out of getting these guys to help the franchise.

This front office has earned my trust, and they will make the moves to help the franchise.

Eaglez.Fan
01-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't even mind at all if the Eagles go o-line 1st or 2nd round. We all know that games are won in the trenches, we have a solid d-line for the future, maybe not another DE, but Howard and Kearse can hold their spots for another couple years. But just imagine how amazing the o-line would be if we drafted a guy in the 1st or even 2nd, like Ugoh

mpt117
01-24-2007, 02:41 PM
i guess you dont get what im saying then, as it seems as thought recently the eagles have gone out of their way and to avoid other needs to draft OL.

And Fraley, Jackson, and Thomas were undrafted, im talking about the draft. LaJuan Ramsey? guy hasnt done anything yet and prob never will just like Kenyonta Marshall. Cole and Herremans were 4th and 5th rounders i believe. Im talking about others look at all the lineman we have drafted in reids draft, more than any other position. and i could easily name busts too to prove my point with drafting all these lineman. what about the other OL drafted in Reid's era, McDougle and Jamaal Green (to go with your thomas and ramsey), Calvin Armstrong, Trey Darilek, Jeremy Bridges, Adrien Clarke, Dominic Furio, Scott Peters, John Romero, and John Frank(DL). im just saying we have had success with UDFA lineman, look at jackson, fraley, hicks and we had 2 this year as well with cole and mccoy. you may not like my opinion, but im just saying i would like to see other draft choices other than OL/DL when we have other needs on the board unless we need it.

bsaza2358
01-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Most of these guys are not slated to make the roster anyway. The Eagles had extra selections in those years and took shots with those players. I know Scott Peters was supposed to be very good. Scott Young has panned out. They have had great success with UDFA's, but to me, those are an extension of the draft and count as draft picks.

Regardless, I trust the front office to make the right choices. I think OT is a potential area of need this year. Same goes for DLine pretty much across the board. These are not major needs, but they are areas that could be addressed via the draft.

mpt117
01-24-2007, 02:59 PM
i know darilek was supposed to be very good as well, as they said he was very versatile and could play anywhere on the OL and during that draft he was supposed to be a day 1 guy like late round 2 and def 3rd rounder and kiper had him in his top 5-10 players for day 2 that could have been drafted on day 1 and we picked him in round 4. for a late round pick, adrien clarke showed potential and stuck around for a couple years then got let go

bsaza2358
01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Exactly. There have been some busts and some guys who stunk, but I don't think the Eagles have a track record of drafting worse than any other team. Later round prospects tend to have a lower success rate. It's just part of the business.

I will say again that I am overall very pleased with what the front office has done as a whole since Reid took over in 1999.

Dillen
01-24-2007, 05:17 PM
I mean more from first round pick guys. The later round guys generally know the Eagles are interested, but the first rounders tend to be a surprise. I'd be interested in who the Eagles really talked to at the time.
Last year they showed interest in Bunkley and Justice, although the last 1st rounder before that was McDougle.

B-Dawk
01-24-2007, 05:25 PM
The way the FO looks at the draft is a means to keep the team in good position for the future, not always drafting immediate needs especially wehn it come the lines, as that is the main philosophy, to build outwards from the trenches.

Green Kool Aid
01-24-2007, 10:21 PM
BSAZA= Dave Spadaro

Ray Didinger gave a figure stating that the Eagles had the lowest rookie contribution in the league this year.

mpt117
01-25-2007, 12:04 AM
2 more players the eagles are looking at...another OL and a Safety:

Texas Tech OG Manuel Ramirez-(2nd-3rd rounder)
Louisiana-Monroe SS Kevin Payne-(never heard of him; guessing 5th-7th rounder)

diabsoule
01-25-2007, 03:20 AM
What do you guys think of Rod Hood?

Eaglez.Fan
01-25-2007, 07:59 AM
2 more players the eagles are looking at...another OL and a Safety:

Texas Tech OG Manuel Ramirez-(2nd-3rd rounder)
Louisiana-Monroe SS Kevin Payne-(never heard of him; guessing 5th-7th rounder)

Ramirez was a monster in the practises, and he set the record in bench press multiple times at TT

bsaza2358
01-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm not as big a homer as Spodaro by any stretch. Take it back!

When you have a monster 2005 draft class that has 5 starters out there, getting contributions from your 2006 class is difficult. You can't necessarily measure a class's worth by their first season. You have to judge it 3-5 years down the line. I will reserve judgement on 2006 until we see what happens next year and 2008.

bsaza2358
01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Last year they showed interest in Bunkley and Justice, although the last 1st rounder before that was McDougle.

I will concede on the Bunk/Justice front. Let's review the picks from the Eagles since Reid took over:

1999: McNabb--strong interest. Was obviously their #1 guy, and with good reason.
2000: Corey Simon--strong interest, with good reason
2001: Freddie Mitchell--I recall loving different players, but he looked good at the time. Strong interest.
2002: Lito Sheppard--Pretty big surprise.
2003: McDougle--Decent surprise.
2004: Shawn Andrews--Huge Surprise
2005: Mike Patterson--People were surprised, but they also liked Matt Jones and Luis Castillo.
2006: Bunkley--Not a big surprise, even tried to trade up.

bsaza2358
01-25-2007, 08:20 AM
What do you guys think of Rod Hood?

Roderick Hood is a former UDFA, who the Eagles found, picked up, and groomed into a very good nickel CB/slightly above average starting CB. He isn't excellent at anything, but he doesn't have a huge area of weakness. Not a burner, but he can recover. Not a great tackler, but he wraps up. You tell him what to do, and he does it. Coachable and a hard worker. Can cover well on the outside and in the slot. Would be a decent #2 CB for many teams in this league. Better than almost all nickel CB's in the NFL.

Dillen
01-25-2007, 08:49 AM
BSAZA= Dave Spadaro

Ray Didinger gave a figure stating that the Eagles had the lowest rookie contribution in the league this year.
No one is on Spadaro's level.

Of course the Eagles had the lowest rookie contribution. Bunkley didn't play much. Justice wasn't going to play this year. Gocong wasn't going to play much either and he was on IR. MJG wasnt supposed to play either. Avant did pretty well, Bloom was on IR and Ramsey did pretty well, I don't understand why they never activated him at the end of the year.

Green Kool Aid
01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not as big a homer as Spodaro by any stretch. Take it back!

When you have a monster 2005 draft class that has 5 starters out there, getting contributions from your 2006 class is difficult. You can't necessarily measure a class's worth by their first season. You have to judge it 3-5 years down the line. I will reserve judgement on 2006 until we see what happens next year and 2008.

I don't know about it being a "monster" draft class. The Eagles got what they wanted out of it, which is a bunch of role players who won't command too much cap space.

Herremans and Cole were both good picks. Brown is producing as you would expect a 2nd rounder to produce.

THEN, there is Considine, a nickel/dime back and special teamer. There is Ryan Moats, who I think will go to another team one day that is more suited to his skills (a zone-blocking team) and be productive. And then there is Patterson, a 1st round DT who falls short of six feet, and is clearly a situational lineman, as he got bowled over by Jahri Evans (a Frankford grad and 4th rounder the Eagles were eyeing) in the New Orleans game. Matt McCoy and Scott Young. Nuff said.

I would call it a decent draft. I'm not bowled over by it (like Patterson was by Jahri).[/code]

EaglesFan
01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Nobody should be complaining about the Eagles front office when it comes to drafting players. Come on. Before Reid got here, we picked players like Mike Mamula and Jon Harris. The only bust we've had while Reid has been here is Freddie Mitchell. I wouldn't include McDougle because he never was able to show his true talent with all of his injuries. Also, if it weren't for Reid, we probably wouldn't have McNabb right now and we'd be complaining about how Ricky Williams should stop smoking marijuana and come back from Canada to play with the Eagles.

Green Kool Aid
01-25-2007, 03:30 PM

I will concede on the Bunk/Justice front. Let's review the picks from the Eagles since Reid took over:

1999: McNabb--strong interest. Was obviously their #1 guy, and with good reason.
2000: Corey Simon--strong interest, with good reason
2001: Freddie Mitchell--I recall loving different players, but he looked good at the time. Strong interest.
2002: Lito Sheppard--Pretty big surprise.
2003: McDougle--Decent surprise.
2004: Shawn Andrews--Huge Surprise
2005: Mike Patterson--People were surprised, but they also liked Matt Jones and Luis Castillo.
2006: Bunkley--Not a big surprise, even tried to trade up.

This list reads as hit or miss almost every other year:

McNabb-good
Simon-not on the team and out of football
Mitchell-Ditto
Sheppard-good
McDougle-ugh
Andrews-good, but may be injury-proned
Patterson-ok
Bunkley-the jury's out

In fact, from picks 1 thru 18, Bunkley is the only 1st rounder to not start (Chad Greenway was on IR). What does that say?

Dillen
01-25-2007, 04:09 PM
For one, a lot of it has to do with Reid being stubborn. Patterson and Walker both were getting bowled over. I have a hard time believing Bunkley didn't show anything.

Corey Simon isn't out of football. He was on IR this year.

Andrews isn't "good, but could be injured prone." He's a top 3 guard in the league, and has only missed games because of a broken leg.

cunningham06
01-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Nobody should be complaining about the Eagles front office when it comes to drafting players. Come on. Before Reid got here, we picked players like Mike Mamula and Jon Harris. The only bust we've had while Reid has been here is Freddie Mitchell. I wouldn't include McDougle because he never was able to show his true talent with all of his injuries. Also, if it weren't for Reid, we probably wouldn't have McNabb right now and we'd be complaining about how Ricky Williams should stop smoking marijuana and come back from Canada to play with the Eagles.

I liked his potential, but I've gotta say McDougle=bust. I don't really see him having much of an impact for us, and after the Saints game in the regular season, we might be better off without him. Interesting thing to look back on Dave Spadaro picked McDougle to lead the team in sacks this season.

bsaza2358
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Even when he was healthy, McDougle really didn't do much for us. I think he was a bust all the way around, but at least the team had the gunshot wound excuse, so they went out at got Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole. I really think he's done for. Period. Unfortunate, but true. We wouldn't have signed Howard if McDougle was capable of being god-like.

Green Kool Aid
01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
For one, a lot of it has to do with Reid being stubborn. Patterson and Walker both were getting bowled over. I have a hard time believing Bunkley didn't show anything.

Corey Simon isn't out of football. He was on IR this year.

Andrews isn't "good, but could be injured prone." He's a top 3 guard in the league, and has only missed games because of a broken leg.

He's been injured 2 out of 3 years of his pro career, and his injury was a big reason the Eagles lost to the Saints. He's good, but can he stay healthy?

And Corey Simon POSSIBLY has AIDS, as profootballtalk.com posted a story saying that the medical definition for what he has is a type of HIV. We'll see if he ever plays again. All we know is that the Colts don't want him back.

bsaza2358
01-26-2007, 03:02 PM
A freak accident broken leg and a freak accident neck contusion that forced him out of the second half of a playoff game doesn't make Andrews injury prone. He has been injured 1 out of his 3 years and missed part of the last game of the year. That is not injury prone. To indicate otherwise is just laughable.

Corey Simon's tenure with the Eagles was marked by mostly solid play, then a contract dispute. He did fine and lived up to his billing as a top 10 pick with his play on the field. He was not the best DT we've seen, and I like Patterson better, but Simon was a good pick and did well enough as an Eagle. The fact that a sports rag with a poor reputation is saying he has AIDS has zero impact on any statement you have made about him. He was out of the NFL with an non-football-caused arthritic-like condition in his knee. Whether or not he has AIDS, it doesn't make it a bad pick by the Eagles.

Green Kool Aid
01-26-2007, 03:37 PM
A freak accident broken leg and a freak accident neck contusion that forced him out of the second half of a playoff game doesn't make Andrews injury prone. He has been injured 1 out of his 3 years and missed part of the last game of the year. That is not injury prone. To indicate otherwise is just laughable.

Corey Simon's tenure with the Eagles was marked by mostly solid play, then a contract dispute. He did fine and lived up to his billing as a top 10 pick with his play on the field. He was not the best DT we've seen, and I like Patterson better, but Simon was a good pick and did well enough as an Eagle. The fact that a sports rag with a poor reputation is saying he has AIDS has zero impact on any statement you have made about him. He was out of the NFL with an non-football-caused arthritic-like condition in his knee. Whether or not he has AIDS, it doesn't make it a bad pick by the Eagles.

A top ten pick of ours playing for another team (barely), and you think that means the Eagles did well? I can't listen to you Dave, and your definitely not listening to me.

Besides, didn't you notice that the Colts brought in Booger McFarland to replace Simon. He's not living up to his pick.

I also hope I never have as many "freak" accidents as Shawn Andrews.

Green Kool Aid
01-26-2007, 03:47 PM
After the Senior Bowl practices, there are a couple of players that moved up my list that are good for the Eagles, and within their draft range:

Eric Weddle
Adam Carriker
Brandon Merriweather (but he apparently has character issues)
John Lee Higgins
Paul Posluzny (sp?)

The 1st/2nd round players I already liked:

Michael Griffin
Brian Leonard
Patrick Willis

And I am still holding out hope for a miracle drop-and-trade for Laron Landry.

Dillen
01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
A top ten pick of ours playing for another team (barely), and you think that means the Eagles did well? I can't listen to you Dave, and your definitely not listening to me.

Besides, didn't you notice that the Colts brought in Booger McFarland to replace Simon. He's not living up to his pick.

Simon was on the team for what, 5 years? That isn't awful.

The Colts brought in McFarland because they had Raheem freaking Brock starting at DT. It doesn't matter that they had/have Simon back next year, you aren't going to be a Super Bowl caliber team with one of the worst run defenses and worst pair of DTs in the entire league.

You don't have to worry about having freak accidents like Shawn's, you don't play in the NFL. You definitely don't have to worry about a 300+ pound guy falling on the back of your leg, or clubbing you in the back of the head.

bsaza2358
01-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Arguing with you is like masturbating with sandpaper: painful, unnecessary, and I might be getting a rash...

Regardless, a top 10 pick of ours PLAYED very well for the Eagles in his 5 seasons with the team. However, when he got to his contract year, he was franchised and rebelled by skipping offseason workouts. He started to hold out of training camp, and the Eagles recognized that he would be out of shape for the first half of the season, so they basically cut him.

Comparison study: The Eagles run D with Simon from 2000-2004 was pretty good. The Eagles rush D since has not been good at all. The Colts D in general in 2005 with Simon was borderline excellent. Simon's presence was very significant part to the Colts' defensive success in 2005. In 2006, he wasn't there, and they got gashed with the run quite often.

When healthy, Simon is a good, sometimes great starting DT in this league. He can play the run and the pass. However, he has endurance and conditioning issues. That's part of the reason why the Eagles let him go last offseason. The fact that he plays for another team is irrelevant to whether the Eagles made a good pick in the 2000 draft. They did make a good pick. Simon made 1 Pro Bowl and probably deserved to go twice more. He was runner up in Defensive ROY in 2000 to Brian Urlacher. He rarely missed game as an Eagle due to injury and accrued decent stats. I think he has the single season franchise sack record for a DT, as well. Would I like to still have a healthy, in-shape, non-jerk Simon on the Eagles right now? Absolutely. Given the events that have transpired since he left Philly, I think the Eagles got as much out of him as they could have and cut ties with the player before he became a bloated, injured, waste of space.

Oh, and the fact that Booger McFarland was brought in to "replace" Simon says nothing about Simon's effectiveness as a player. This happened 2 years AFTER Simon left the Eagles. It was a desperation move by the Colts to try to shore up their rush D. This also occurred in Week 4, about 2 1/2 months AFTER Simon was put on non-football IR with the knee issue. McFarland's play has NOTHING to do with Simon's value from 2000-2004/5, when he was an Eagle.

bsaza2358
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM

The Colts brought in McFarland because they had Raheem freaking Brock starting at DT. It doesn't matter that they had/have Simon back next year, you aren't going to be a Super Bowl caliber team with one of the worst run defenses and worst pair of DTs in the entire league.

You don't have to worry about having freak accidents like Shawn's, you don't play in the NFL.

Great minds think alike...

Eaglez.Fan
01-26-2007, 05:09 PM
After the Senior Bowl practices, there are a couple of players that moved up my list that are good for the Eagles, and within their draft range:

Eric Weddle
Adam Carriker
John Lee Higgins
Paul Posluzny (sp?)

Michael Griffin
Brian Leonard
Patrick Willis

After the Senior Bowl, I'd love to land Weddle in the 2nd round. I don't thikn Carriker would do good with us, maybe replace Howard being similar in size and strength. I wouldn't touch Meriweather unless he's there in the 3rd, which I wouldn't be suprised if he was. John Lee Higgins, is good but we should take him in the 2nd and he won't last till our 3rd rounder if we have it at all. Michael Griddin is my favorite for our 1st rounder, if Patrick Willis is there he's the best pick IMO. And I'd rather have Reggie Nelson then Landry. Landry is too much of a Dawkins type player (not that theres anything wrong with that) but too similar styles wouldn't be as good as a guy like Nelson who flies around and makes plays. We won't go Leonard in round 1, we don't take RB in the 1st we won't take a FB

Go_Eagles77
01-26-2007, 06:10 PM
The eagles officially signed Saverio Rocca.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=64025

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huMDqWxF6mI

He's #36/26, his brother is #23.

Do you think he could beat out Dirk? I know you guys don't exactly wet yourselves with joy when you think about punters, but I thought I'd just throw this thought out there.

Eaglez.Fan
01-26-2007, 09:11 PM
I think he can beat out Dirk without a doubt. With some practise with the different ball he can be good. Also those guys are greats athletes and are tough we should sign one or two to NFL Europe at saftey :P

Realistically it'd be hard for the guy to beat out an NFL punter but it can happen

NikkiSixx
01-27-2007, 08:47 AM
did you guys see this article in yesterday's daily news?

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/16550021.htm

domo doesn't seem too optimistic that they'll do too much in free agency. but he does say they have about $13 million under the cap, so they could do something. i'd love it if they could shore up strong-side linebacker and not have to assume that gocong can step right in with no problem. plus, then you can use gocong as a spot pass rusher instead.

i think weddle is an interesting prospect since he might not have drool-worthy size/speed but seems to have great "football intelligence." i think the gaither pick is instructive since he didn't have as great measurables (i'm sure mccoy ran a better 40) as other people but he just seems to have better football instincts. we need guys on defense who can make plays instead of just being competent.

my two cents...

Eaglez.Fan
01-27-2007, 09:01 AM
I like Weddle but there is better talent out there, at saftey Michael Griffin, Brandon Meriweather, Reggie Nelson, and at CB Aaron Ross, Marcus McCauley and a couple more guys. I think if were confident we can either get Weddle in the 2nd or trade up for him in the 2nd we should go CB or LB, or maybe even o-line in the 1st. Mike Mayock said Weddle is now a first day pick, not even 1st rounder.

Green Kool Aid
01-27-2007, 02:29 PM

You don't have to worry about having freak accidents like Shawn's, you don't play in the NFL.

...like two testicles in a sack.

Once again: A TOP TEN PICK WHO ISN'T ON THE TEAM!

He played for one year in Indianapolis, right? He didn't really stop the run. That's only happened now with Booger.

Let's see, the Eagles drafted him with a first, and traded him for a second. How the heck is that value?! And what did they get with him, Matt McCoy?!

And all the players in the NFL face injuries. Suck it up.

Green Kool Aid
01-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Eric Weddle
Adam Carriker
John Lee Higgins
Paul Posluzny (sp?)

Michael Griffin
Brian Leonard
Patrick Willis

After the Senior Bowl, I'd love to land Weddle in the 2nd round. I don't thikn Carriker would do good with us, maybe replace Howard being similar in size and strength. I wouldn't touch Meriweather unless he's there in the 3rd, which I wouldn't be suprised if he was. John Lee Higgins, is good but we should take him in the 2nd and he won't last till our 3rd rounder if we have it at all. Michael Griddin is my favorite for our 1st rounder, if Patrick Willis is there he's the best pick IMO. And I'd rather have Reggie Nelson then Landry. Landry is too much of a Dawkins type player (not that theres anything wrong with that) but too similar styles wouldn't be as good as a guy like Nelson who flies around and makes plays. We won't go Leonard in round 1, we don't take RB in the 1st we won't take a FB

I haven't seen much of Nelson, so I don't have much to write except that he looks insane.

Griffin is definitely the best safety for this team in terms of being a hybrid cover 2 player. I personally think that Landry would fit in great at SS, but he'll be gone. Then again, Dawk could eventually make the move to SS, but he's still too good.

Weddle has "it", but looks to be a FS/CB. I would take him in the 1st/2nd depending on how things work out.

Carriker could be what Howard was supposed to be, a run-stopping end and flex DT. Boy, I won't say "I told you so " with Howard but...

And Brian Leonard is just a special little wish of mine. He's definitly a versatile tool with the kind of work ethic this team loves. Too bad they're blinded by their system. By the way, I heard Ray Didinger express interest in him too. He would be a more athletic Mike Alstott for this team. I think Brian Leonard has what it takes to possibly be a feature back in this league.

Green Kool Aid
01-27-2007, 02:46 PM
did you guys see this article in yesterday's daily news?

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/16550021.htm

domo doesn't seem too optimistic that they'll do too much in free agency. but he does say they have about $13 million under the cap, so they could do something. i'd love it if they could shore up strong-side linebacker and not have to assume that gocong can step right in with no problem. plus, then you can use gocong as a spot pass rusher instead.

i think weddle is an interesting prospect since he might not have drool-worthy size/speed but seems to have great "football intelligence." i think the gaither pick is instructive since he didn't have as great measurables (i'm sure mccoy ran a better 40) as other people but he just seems to have better football instincts. we need guys on defense who can make plays instead of just being competent.

my two cents...

I agree with that last paragraph 100%.

And I would be incredibly happy if all the eagles did was sign either Briggs or THomas as a SLB this off-season. Yeah Right.

BTW, if we don't sign Stallworth, I think a speedy WR that stretches the field, like Johnnie Lee Higgins becomes more important.

cunningham06
01-27-2007, 03:05 PM

He played for one year in Indianapolis, right? He didn't really stop the run. That's only happened now with Booger.

Let's see, the Eagles drafted him with a first, and traded him for a second. How the heck is that value?! And what did they get with him, Matt McCoy?!

There is way too much dissention between the Eagles fans right now. Corey Simon was a good player for us while he was here. He was a good pick, things just didn't work out with him. He amassed over 200 tackles and 30 sacks while he was in Philly as well as forcing 8 fumbles, and with him our defense was much better. Colts defense with Simon- pretty good, Colts defense without Simon- perhaps the worst rushing defense the world has ever seen, not all because he wasn't there, but largely because of it. He is a talented player, he gave us 5 good seasons, and then we dished him out for a second round pick which may not turn out to be a starter, but McCoy will be an excellent rotational player who we can play if Gaither is tired or injured.

Shawn has been able to play 2 full seasons, and until he misses significant regular season time I won't refer to him as injury prone, he keeps himself healthy during the season.

Our drafting hasn't been great, but it has been pretty good. We have a lot of players right now that we don't really know how they will contribute, lots of talented projects that need to be refined. As for FA I doubt we will land either Thomas or Briggs, but Hamlin would be excellent if we could get him.

Dillen
01-27-2007, 04:22 PM

He was the best defensive lineman on the team from his rookie year to the year he got cut. Yes, he's not on the team anymore. Would you rather have had the Eagle pay him $7M a year for the next 5 years? Hell no.

The Eagles didn't trade him. Franchise tag was taken off. You are never going to get fair value, especially when someone was picked that high.

2004 Draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2004)
Maybe half the guys in the first round would get a 1st round pick in return. You will never get what you invested.

And your last line proves the point about injuries. Everyone is going to get hur sooner or later. So basically everyone in the NFL is injury prone?

EaglesFan
01-27-2007, 09:37 PM
How do you guys see Moats fitting into the offense next season? Asking this after reading Dave Sparado's (spelling?) recent article on the Eagles official website.

EaglesFan
01-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Also, along with my last question, how many of you see Trot coming back next season? A couple of people on these boards (including a guy who said he'd rather not have Trot and instead have a rotation of Patrick Willis-Gocong-Gaither-McCoy) and some "experts" say that he probably won't be back. I think this would drastically hurt our team, not only talent but chemistry. I think the leadership would be greatly missed.

Caddy
01-28-2007, 06:50 AM
I think he can beat out Dirk without a doubt. With some practise with the different ball he can be good. Also those guys are greats athletes and are tough we should sign one or two to NFL Europe at saftey :P

Realistically it'd be hard for the guy to beat out an NFL punter but it can happen

Just saw recently that you signed Sav Rocca.

From watching him play AFL here in Australia I think you could have a real talent there. He definitely had one of the strongest legs in the AFL for the good part of his career and I hope he turns out like Ben Graham of the Jets.

A bit of good publicity for Australia never hurts :D

Dillen
01-28-2007, 09:48 AM
How do you guys see Moats fitting into the offense next season? Asking this after reading Dave Sparado's (spelling?) recent article on the Eagles official website.
Moats won't be used. I don't agree with it, but as long as Mahe is on the team (and it looks like he's a "cornerstone" to the team,) Moats won't play.

NikkiSixx
01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
i wasn't suggesting, btw, that the eagles take weddle in the first round, about which some of you may have gotten the impression. i was just saying that sometimes it seems like the team gets overly enamored with things like "quickness" over a "nose for the football." it's nice that matt mccoy is quick, for example, but he's also unable to shed blocks and doesn't make any plays. mark simoneau had the same problem, but he was quicker than trotter, which is why they traded for him a few years ago and let trott walk. quinton caver was a great athlete, but couldn't play at all. gaither, on the other hand, isn't quick but has football instincts and actually made some plays.

bsaza2358
01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Fanball is saying in its site lines that:

1. Stallworth is likely not to be resigned. This is further comfirmation of prior reports on this threat.

2. That Trotter is not going to be on the field as much next season, IF the Eagles even keep him. Apparently, Trotter's knees are degenerating even faster than expected. I suspect that 2007 is his last season as an Eagle, if he even makes it. Sad stuff.

Go_Eagles77
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM

1. Stallworth is likely not to be resigned. This is further comfirmation of prior reports on this threat.

2. That Trotter is not going to be on the field as much next season, IF the Eagles even keep him. Apparently, Trotter's knees are degenerating even faster than expected. I suspect that 2007 is his last season as an Eagle, if he even makes it. Sad stuff.

Further proof that we should do everything possible to draft Patrick Willis.

If Stallworth leaves, I have no freaking clue on what is going to happen with the wide reciever position. Some of you will not like this suggestion but how about drafting Johnnie Lee Higgins or Chansi Stuckey in the 3rd as a deep threat and a compliment to Reggie? The 3rd round is the earliest I would take a WR.

NikkiSixx
01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
the problem is that you're getting a guy that will be of limited use in the first year. unless the team knows stallworth has longer-term hamstring problems than we know about, it makes no sense to let him go. sometimes i really think it's more important to reid and heckert that they go with "their guys" than definitely win with guys however they were obtained. stallworth is only a year older than reggie brown, and hank baskett is not suddenly going to magically become as explosive as stallworth to be a reliable deep threat.

Eaglez.Fan
01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I was actually thinking about Ted Ginn jr. If we don't resign Donte, he'd fit very well in the WCO, one of the best run after the catch guys, and the biggest deep ball threat since Randy Moss. That's if he falls which I wouldn't be suprised if he did

NikkiSixx
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM
unless he runs a bad 40 why would he fall?

Dillen
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Donte isn't re-signed. It's a shame, he seemed/seems to really like Philadelphia.

Although I don't want them to draft offense in the first round no matter what the position, I wouldn't mind if it was on Teddy Ginn or Robert Meachem. I'd prefer Meachem because he's more polished but Ginn would immediately be one of the fastest WRs in the league. I like Meachem because he's like Owens without being a *****.

Doctordulitl
01-29-2007, 03:36 PM

Further proof that we should do everything possible to draft Patrick Willis.

If Stallworth leaves, I have no freaking clue on what is going to happen with the wide reciever position. Some of you will not like this suggestion but how about drafting Johnnie Lee Higgins or Chansi Stuckey in the 3rd as a deep threat and a compliment to Reggie? The 3rd round is the earliest I would take a WR.

Yeah if that is true about Trotter then they really need to do something about LB and if we can't get someone like Adalius Thomas in FA then Willis would have to be the next option. Gaither played well but it's clear that much more help is needed. Even if they do sign a FA LB then LB still should be without a doubt a mian priority inthe draft.

Also I really like Johniee Lee Higgins fast guy who did a decent job at the senior bowl. wouldn't be a bad pick in the 3rd round. I just really dont think they can take A WR earlier then that with all the defensive help that they need......

Green Kool Aid
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Also, along with my last question, how many of you see Trot coming back next season? A couple of people on these boards (including a guy who said he'd rather not have Trot and instead have a rotation of Patrick Willis-Gocong-Gaither-McCoy) and some "experts" say that he probably won't be back. I think this would drastically hurt our team, not only talent but chemistry. I think the leadership would be greatly missed.

I have to wonder where there source is for these Trotter rumors is. All of a sudden, there are whispers that he has to retire.

Some people say he failed in the Saints game, but in order for the LB's to break down, the RBs need to get past the D-line first, so the line should get most of the blame.

People are also harping on his pass-coverage skills, which aren't great, but I believe TE's are supposed to be covered by the SAM LBs. Also, the middle of the field is supposed to be exposed by TEs in Cover 2 hybrid defenses, so it shouldn't be surprising that that's how it turned out.

I feel like this is going to end up being an excuse to release a veteran for cap space, or at least force him to take a pay cut, like the Eagles did with Runyan.

In any event, it would be a huge mistake to let Trott go, and leave the LBs in chaos. If anything, it looked to me like Trott was just spread to thin for most of the year, with a lack of support form the other LBs and the D-line.

Dillen
01-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Although I believe that Trotter is just about done or even finished right now, I have no idea what would happen if he's gone. You're looking at:

McCoy, Gaither, Jones, Gocong, Daniels, Richmond

5 of those guys are unknown and none of them have great backgrounds to the point where you would almost hand them the starting job, although McCoy and Gaither should hold down the WLB spot. This is exactly why Patrick Willis is my #1 target, it's a shame he probably wont be there.

Doctordulitl
01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
If trotter isn't there then your relying on a lot of unknows... Can Gathier step up his game fromt his year which i think he can, will McCoy ever be able to fully understand the defense and not be pushed around and will Gocong be able to come back from his injury last year and understand the LB position since he was a DE in college. I think relying on those scenarios is definitly not a good way to go and your only prove LB would then be Dhani Jones who is nothing more then a decent LB who doesn't make any big plays...... I haven't seen him strum his air guitar in a long time. They need to address LB and out of the LB's that are retrning the only one i'm satisfied with is Gathier......

Doctordulitl
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Trotter rumors that I have hear have come from 610 WIP which isn't necessarily the best place but they were talking to Ray didinger and he was one of the people to say that he would't be surprised if Trotter didnt return. R DIDDY wouldnt say one way or the other but he did say that he wouldn't be suprised at all..... he's a pretty reliable source and knows his stuff

cunningham06
01-29-2007, 09:14 PM
If Trott leaves, a possible way to fix it would be to bring back Michael Lewis and convert him to SAM. Unlikely in the extreme, but then we could switch our LB's around. We could move Gaither to the middle, Dhani to weakside and then let Lewis handle strong side. Who knows though Lewis could be a horrible LB.

NikkiSixx
01-29-2007, 09:19 PM
lewis isn't big enough to play weakside linebacker, much less strongside. jones is gone, as well he should be.

cunningham06
01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
lewis isn't big enough to play weakside linebacker, much less strongside. jones is gone, as well he should be.

Lewis would have to add about 25 pounds but there is no chance of it happening, just an interesting scenario. Dhani I've never liked at SAM, he's much better at weak side, he's a solid player at weak side, I personally think Trotter will come back for this season, so if we could trade up and put Willis at SAM we could worry about MIKE next season. At this point I think regardless even if we get one of the two LB's in FA we should still go after Willis.

GDawg239
01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Well no matter how it goes, we have a good spot in the first round, how ever we sit we have play maker type player available

Michel Griffin
Paul Posluszny
Patrik Willis

In the second round a WR like Craig Davis look good a bit of a reach and if we dont get safety in the first Brandon Merriweather is there in the second, might have to trade up to get him, espically after he had a good seniorbowl workout and game

A rb to go up the middle would be nice, i like Buck, but i dont think hes that good, moats and WB are to alike small fast backs, i think a big brusier back would be good also, like Lynch, or

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 09:02 AM
NO POSLUSZNY! He doesn't fit our system, and he's not a huge upgrade over anyone on our roster. I don't like him as a MLB, and he isn't big enough or fast enough to shed blocks and pressure the QB in our zone-blitz packages. I'd much rather get safety or more DLine help.

It is looking more and more like the Eagles will need a WR in the second or third round, probably a burner.

Brandon Merriweather has a problem being coached, never played up to his true potential in college, and he was involved in off-the-field and on-field incidents. He is a strong "do not draft" for the Eagles.

I like Griffin quite a bit. He is really, really good.

Willis will be gone by the time the Eagles draft. He probably won't make it to pick 15, IMO.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 09:03 AM

Lewis would have to add about 25 pounds but there is no chance of it happening, just an interesting scenario. Dhani I've never liked at SAM, he's much better at weak side, he's a solid player at weak side, I personally think Trotter will come back for this season, so if we could trade up and put Willis at SAM we could worry about MIKE next season. At this point I think regardless even if we get one of the two LB's in FA we should still go after Willis.

That is a very interesting point, cunningham. The Eagles have never been shy about making a move for the guy they want. If they decide they want Willis, they'll make a play for him. Not sure if Willis is worth a 1 and a 2, but again, I trust the front office.

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't understand this idea that Posluszny doesn't fit our system. The last time I checked our linebackers don't do a whole lot of anything. They blitz occasionally but what else does the current slate of LBs do that Posluszny couldn't do. I'm not saying he's the answer or anything b/c I haven't really seen him play at all. My point is our linebacking corp is so nondescript that I think a good playmaker is more important than Matt McCoy's quickness as a fit for the "system."

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Our LB's haven't gotten solid pressure on the QB since Emmons was in his prime, and Shawn Barber was healthy and starting for us. Dhani Jones has shown flashes of being adequate, but our WILL situation has been horrid for 3 seasons now. The team needs LB's that have the speed to pressure the QB and flow to the ball. Because our front 4 is smaller, they also have to be able to shed blocks. Poz was very weak in that respect, especially this past season.

I think your final point is ridiculous. Why would we want to spend a first round draft pick on a player whose skills don't fit our needs? Poz is not a SAM LB. He is not really a WILL LB in our system either. He is more of a read/react kind of guy, who would fit better in a Marvin Lewis or Bellichek system. He is not a downhill player. He has excellent instincts, but what does that get you if he's not the right player? Absolutely nothing.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 09:14 AM
And don't get me wrong, I wasn't happy AT ALL with McCoy's play this season. His inability to hit the hole, his overpursuit, and his lack of block-shedding pissed me off to no end. I'm not proposing that McCoy needs to regain the starting role or anything. I'm just saying that Poz's skill set is not a good fit at all for the Eagles' D. I am quite confident that the team will not be drafting him. I'm a PSU fan, and I love him as a player, but I don't love him as an Eagle in this defensive system.

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Again my point wasn't to defend Paul P., but to say that we need good players more than worrying about our system. obviously if he can't shed blocks then he is of no more use to us than mccoy. but gaither certainly doesn't seem like he's a great fit for a weakside LB since he's not that fast, but he was much better than mccoy when he got inserted into the lineup.

if trotter can still play on first and second downs next season, then i'm more concerned about SAM position because Gocong has zero experience there, even if he has a full year to learn it. is he really going to be able to start right away and be effective?

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 09:23 AM
the point i was making about trotter just now, btw, was that we could then just leave gaither at WIL for next year if we had to.

DowntownReggieBrown
01-30-2007, 09:29 AM
My Penn State homerism will not allow me to agree with you about Poz. I recently re-watched the Ohio State game from 2 years ago and my god that man was all over the field. I won't pretend I know a ton about LB's but I can't imagine that Ohio State wasn't trying to block him and that he wasn't shedding blocks in the process.... but anyway....
I won't disagree that he's not perfect for the Eagles system, but I just get tired of hearing all of the trendy analysis that he's too slow or undersized or blah blah blah..... this is the same bs that had him ranked as a 3-star prospect coming out of HS and when he wasn't affected by injury he was absolutely DOMINANT for the last 2 years.

I'm rooting for Patrick Willis in green and am confident that one of the CB/S/LB prospects will fall into the 20's for us to grab.... however I'm also rooting for Poz to shut everyone up and win Def ROY

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
What's sad is that we're going to spend so much time arguing about the linebackers and they probably won't even draft one. get ready for more rookie offensive linemen! :D

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Again my point wasn't to defend Paul P., but to say that we need good players more than worrying about our system. obviously if he can't shed blocks then he is of no more use to us than mccoy. but gaither certainly doesn't seem like he's a great fit for a weakside LB since he's not that fast, but he was much better than mccoy when he got inserted into the lineup.

if trotter can still play on first and second downs next season, then i'm more concerned about SAM position because Gocong has zero experience there, even if he has a full year to learn it. is he really going to be able to start right away and be effective?

Fair enough. I'm just sick of every PSU fan wanting Poz on our team, when his size and skill set doesn't fit our needs. I'd much rather have a down-hill, quicker player out there than a slower guy with limited coverage skills and problems shedding blocks. I'd be making the same points if the guy went to Michigan, Butler, Florida, Utah, LSU, etc. It's a matter of applicable skill set that concerns me.

I continue to agree with your point about the Eagles needing a lot more young talent at the LB position.

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 09:34 AM
what's the story with the timmons kid? i've seen him as our first-round pick in a couple of mock drafts.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
what's the story with the timmons kid? i've seen him as our first-round pick in a couple of mock drafts.

Not a lot of full scouting reports out there on Timmons right now. He has prototype size, and his projected 40 time is in the 4.5 range, making him very quick. Todd McShay says that he has "excellent tools" and "game-to-game consistency". Scott rates him as the #2 overall OLB after Poz. I haven't had a chance to really review his tape or stats, but he looks like an intriguing prospect. Not a lot of experience, and he needs coaching, but certainly a great athlete with the tools to be a great player. Looks like a risk/reward type pick.

Dillen
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Timmons is by far the best SLB prospect in the draft. If he's there and the Eagles pick him I would not be mad at all, even though I like Gocong.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 02:18 PM
The thing about Gocong is that he's still learning the system as a LB, but he's also really smart. He could put on weight and convert to a rush DE, which we could need in years to come. Timmons can learn the system and play. My concern with this LT (no disrespect to Taylor or Tomlinson) is that he's really, really raw and will need a lot of work. With the coaching turnover we've had and the lack of overall development from LB draft picks of late, I'm concerned about making that pick...

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 02:21 PM
you could keep gaither as WIL and play gocong at SAM and let timmons develop for a year. i'd still be a bit wary of having a guy who never played one down at a position be the starter there, no matter how smart he is; hopefully the eagles can prove me wrong.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, history has proven that it takes quite a bit of time to get down the Eagles' scheme. Trotter, Gaither, McCoy, and others did not play for most of their rookie seasons because they needed to pick up the terminology and make the right reads. I think our SAM situation next season will be Dhani Jones, with Gocong getting snaps and reps in practice. Gocong will be ready to start doing legitimate work as a LB in 2008 at the earliest.

I still say the Eagles should use him as a DE, rather than an LB, in the long run...

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
i think jones is gone. maybe the team would spend some $ for that spot in free agency. maybe.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I think Jones will play out his contract, and the team will invest its $13mm in cap room on an extension for LJ Smith. Since July, the team has locked up: Dawkins, Andrews, Jackson, Herremens, Patterson, Reggie Brown, and Trent Cole. That's a LOT of money going out the door. There are standard raises going through for other players, and they also have to sign Reno Mahe and consider making an offer to Stallworth. The team likes its cap flexibility, so they will have to spend wisely.

Dillen
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
The Eagles know this free agency crop is weak. With all their bonuses and new salaries, Cole, Reggie, and Patterson are all making over $6M this year.

Although it sounds stupid...in re-signing priorities, I would put Mikell and JT very close to Stallworth. I dont want to lose Mikell. If they lose him, they'll lose Ike Reese value. The STs have been garbage in general since they lost Reese. Obviously its not all because of one player, but Mikell is awesome on special teams and played real well as nickel LB towards the end of the year.

GDawg239
01-30-2007, 03:24 PM
a good rb to pick up would be Portis, i doubt we would get him, becuase that would way to hard to share carries between wb and portis, is wouldnt be the same like bush and Mcallister, but he would be a nice pick up, Jones could be a nice add on, as a backup

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
a good rb to pick up would be Portis, i doubt we would get him, becuase that would way to hard to share carries between wb and portis, is wouldnt be the same like bush and Mcallister, but he would be a nice pick up, Jones could be a nice add on, as a backup

Are you kidding me? First of all, the Redskins traded Champ Bailey and a second rounder to get Portis. Secondly, his contract is HUGE and would crush the caps of both the Eagles and Skins. Third, there is no way they'd trade him at all, let alone to a division rival. Finally, Portis is coming off shoulder and hand surgery.

Please think more before you post in this thread or on this board in general.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
The Eagles know this free agency crop is weak. With all their bonuses and new salaries, Cole, Reggie, and Patterson are all making over $6M this year.

Although it sounds stupid...in re-signing priorities, I would put Mikell and JT very close to Stallworth. I dont want to lose Mikell. If they lose him, they'll lose Ike Reese value. The STs have been garbage in general since they lost Reese. Obviously its not all because of one player, but Mikell is awesome on special teams and played real well as nickel LB towards the end of the year.

Dillen, are you saying the Eagles should restructure Trotter's contract, or is there another JT that I'm not thinking of?

I agree on Mikell's value. I think they can get him pretty cheap, but they should give him a decent 3 year deal to keep him away from the FA market.

NikkiSixx
01-30-2007, 03:35 PM
i assume he means juqua thomas, but tom heckert recently said they aren't going to heavily pursue re-signing him. if they let hood and michael lewis go, maybe they will try to keep mikell.

Dillen
01-30-2007, 03:41 PM
....... :lol:

Yeah, Juqua Thomas. I would be surprised if he isnt re-signed. Reid loves building his lines. He said he hates losing guys.

bsaza2358
01-30-2007, 04:00 PM
I think they could bring Thomas back on a 1 year deal with incentives and such. The Eagles generally have $10-20mm to spend in cap room per offseason, but they basically did all of their offseason spending in August-October. It will be a shame if they lose guys like Hood and Thomas, but I'd be okay with it. I agree with Dillen that Mikell is a very important piece here. Don't forget Reno Mahe, who has come along very, very nicely and is a cost-effective player, as well.

Eaglez.Fan
01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I say we forget about UFA's and potential signing of guys like Addalius Thomas or Lance Briggs. We made the playoffs and went far with our backup QB. If we had McNabb I beleive we would be playing the Colts this week. We should just keep the same team, resign Stallworth and as many players as possible, and forget there is FA's at all.

As for the draft we should go SS, LB, WR (If we don't sign Donte) in the 1st round maybe even o-line, but best player available from those positions.

If Brain Leonard is there in the 2nd which he might be, we should jump on him. Even though it's very hard to stop Westbrook all the teams know he's coming. IMO he'd step in and be an impact player

Dillen
01-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I think they could bring Thomas back on a 1 year deal with incentives and such. The Eagles generally have $10-20mm to spend in cap room per offseason, but they basically did all of their offseason spending in August-October. It will be a shame if they lose guys like Hood and Thomas, but I'd be okay with it. I agree with Dillen that Mikell is a very important piece here. Don't forget Reno Mahe, who has come along very, very nicely and is a cost-effective player, as well.
This year he was a free agent and no one was interested, the Eagles brought him back on a 1 year deal. I don't think he could start anywhere, partly because he's smallish and he's much more effective playing a fraction of the snaps. I'd like the Eagles to give him a 3 or 4 year deal at around $2M a year. He's only 28 I believe.

cunningham06
01-30-2007, 08:04 PM

Excellent points, Mikell was playing at a very high level for us near the end of the season, and I love him on ST. Juqua Thomas I think is important, but replaceable if we were to lose him I would not mind moving Gocong back to DE.

Speaking of special teams, the upcoming season means the return of Jeremy Bloom, and I couldn't be happier that it won't be Mahe returning anymore. I swear Mahe has absolutely no big play ability, and doesn't have the top notch speed to take it to the house. These are qualities that I believe that Bloom brings to the table.

However first and foremost we have got to resign Stallworth. Without him our receiving core is up there with the worst in the league. We'll still have a player to stretch defenses in Bloom, but I'm not going to pretend even for a second that Bloom could have near the impact Stallworth did for us this season. I'm still in awe of how badly Stallworth embarassed Sam Madison in the first Giants game.

GDawg239
01-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Yo jermey bloom is good at kick returns, but i wouldnt count on him as a reicevier, he okay avant has alot of upside, yeah mahe has no ablities to return i cant wait for us to get rid of him

Eaglez.Fan
01-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Yo jermey bloom is good at kick returns, but i wouldnt count on him as a reicevier, he okay avant has alot of upside, yeah mahe has no ablities to return i cant wait for us to get rid of him

Mahe was actually very good in our last game. I think he should be able to challenge Bloom for it, competition is always good. As for a WR, Bloom has rumoured to be progressing. Avant I don't think will ever be real good, the only thing I like about him is his hands. But he could develop into a solid and consistant slot guy.

bsaza2358
01-31-2007, 08:40 AM

Your opinions are not on target, and your knowledge of the game is minimal. Please do more research before posting here. We're glad to have you, but not when you're suggesting the Eagles trade for Portis, cut Reno Mahe, etc. Please stop with the ludicrous posts.

Dillen
01-31-2007, 01:39 PM
If anyone counts on Bloom as a WR they're one of the dumbest Eagles fans ever.

Avant doesn't have upside. He's a bigger Freddie Mitchell without the mouth. He wont be any better than a good 3rd down option.

Mahe is a good returner. He wont ever break one because he doesnt have anything close to breakaway speed, but he's very elusive in the open field.

GDawg239
01-31-2007, 03:07 PM
okay sure i wont argue with an idiot, so you think hood is going to be resigned, or would we pick up a corner to challenge brown, somone like harper,

Go_Eagles77
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM
okay sure i wont argue with an idiot, so you think hood is going to be resigned, or would we pick up a corner to challenge brown, somone like harper,
First you call one of the most intelligent eagles fans on this forum an idiot, and then you think we might bring in a corner to challenge Brown? Brown's the starter, if we bring someone in it would be a nickel back.

bsaza2358
01-31-2007, 03:22 PM

I think neither, actually. The Eagles are going to let Hood go and get the compensatory pick for him in the offseason. I assume Hood will go someplace like Miami or SF. Harper is not going to be an Eagle. Brown and Sheppard are the starters, and Hanson and William James are backing up, unless they draft someone. With only $13mm in cap room, the Eagles aren't going to take chances.

GDawg239
01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
im not im just following his signature, look at it, i agreed with him, i wont argue with him, he must have more knowledge than me, hey where do u find this information im trying to research it on google, wont work what do u use

bsaza2358
01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the props, GE77. We both agree that there's no reason to bring in a starting calibur CB at this point. I'm fine with a developing Hanson or William James as the nickel CB.

Eaglez.Fan
01-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the props, GE77. We both agree that there's no reason to bring in a starting calibur CB at this point. I'm fine with a developing Hanson or William James as the nickel CB.

I think Hanson is our man for the nickel. He played alright when filling in as a starter, coming from barely getting playing time. Even though I do like William James, Hanson IMO can be better and is better right now.

Question here, so if the eagles don't draft a SS in the 1st or 2nd rounder, will we start Considine or try to get a FA, or what do you guys think will happen with that. Because Sean didn't play very well, he didn't look comfortable even though experience builds comfort, he could catch a ball or really get in position do defend a pass well, even though I see some potential in him

GDawg239
01-31-2007, 04:04 PM
i think if a S in not drafted, it should be up between Sean, Qutein, to battle it out, FA is always a possiblity, Parrish is out and available, i think hes decent maybe a step up, from sean, because of all the playing exerpience, but i think his carrier might be going down a little. But i think we will draft in first or second round, if not Griffin, Weddle, or i do like Miami players meriweather even though he might be a bad apple.

Hanson, is a pretty good nickle corner, but if sean Cosidine is good at pass defending y not use him as only in nickle packages as corner, and Hanson as just a third string corner

What site do u get ur information from, GE77 what the hell is that,

bsaza2358
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
There is absolutely no comparison between Considine and Mikell as a safety in the base packages. Considine is vastly superior to QM. QM is a great STer, so we should stick with him in that role, plus his work as the safety in our dime and goal-line package. If Mikell was worthy of more PT, he'd get it by now.

There is absolutely no reason to go out and bring in a mid-30's SS like Tony Parrish. For one, he's slower than Considine. Second, he will want a lot of money or a long term contract, which is a no-no in our case. Third, he's not necessarily going to be a FA in the first place. We want our secondary getting younger, not older.

Considine is a good, but not great, SS option. I don't think he's fast enough or good enough in coverage to play FS. If he's not good enough to play FS, he has no prayer as a nickel corner. That is a horrendous idea. If Considine could really cover in the first place, he would've played CB in college, not S. I would rather have him play in his natural position and develop Hanson or James as a nickel CB.

I can't always get a read on the Eagles' draft plans. In recent years, they haven't given away a lot in terms of what they will do in the draft. Regardless, I trust them to make the right picks.

cunningham06
01-31-2007, 08:36 PM
There is absolutely no comparison between Considine and Mikell as a safety in the base packages. Considine is vastly superior to QM. QM is a great STer, so we should stick with him in that role, plus his work as the safety in our dime and goal-line package. If Mikell was worthy of more PT, he'd get it by now.

There is absolutely no reason to go out and bring in a mid-30's SS like Tony Parrish. For one, he's slower than Considine. Second, he will want a lot of money or a long term contract, which is a no-no in our case. Third, he's not necessarily going to be a FA in the first place. We want our secondary getting younger, not older.

Considine is a good, but not great, SS option. I don't think he's fast enough or good enough in coverage to play FS. If he's not good enough to play FS, he has no prayer as a nickel corner. That is a horrendous idea. If Considine could really cover in the first place, he would've played CB in college, not S. I would rather have him play in his natural position and develop Hanson or James as a nickel CB.

I can't always get a read on the Eagles' draft plans. In recent years, they haven't given away a lot in terms of what they will do in the draft. Regardless, I trust them to make the right picks.

I'm gonna go ahead and add a 4th, he got cut midway through the season. No offense to the 49ers but we are a bit more talented, and honestly there is no way that he could challenge to be a starting safety. He was cut because he was worse in coverage than Michael Lewis, YES WORSE THAN MICHAEL LEWIS. He can defend the run but that's about it.

What I think about Considine is this: he is solid and can play safety, but he isn't athletic enough to ever become a game-breaker. Considine is an excellent back-up, and I think that mentally he's got a pretty good understanding of the game, he doesn't make many gambles that will blow up in his face, but he also needs to be more opportunistic and make the play when it lands right in his lap. He's decent against the run, he's quick and can get contact, he isn't like Lewis he won't knife in or plug up running lanes, but overall he's solid. I like him and want him to stay on the team, but I think of him as a "inbetween safeties" player until we decide to draft another safety.

GDawg239
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
How good of a pick would Nate Ilaoa be in the second day, he is a big back that takes punishment, and keeps on running look at the video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

as a day 2 pick i think it would be a good one, he can be a hb/fb since he is so big

Since i do like Miami i ll throw tyrone moss in to the shuffle, i think either guys would be decent, Miami does turn out pretty decent rbs, like Gore, for SF

bsaza2358
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Not a bad idea. Good find on the tape. I think the Eagles will draft a RB in this draft, probably on the second day. Bigger is good, but the team will want a guy who can really catch. Skill set is more important than size to the team at RB.

GDawg239
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
yeah Eagles do love to run those screen plays, proabably someone who can catch and run im guessing is gonna be drafted, it would be nice though to have a big guy since to me ryan moats and westbrook, seem like similar players small and quick, i havnt seen moats catch that much though

Dillen
02-01-2007, 01:25 PM
The Eagles passed on Brandon Jacobs and Marion Barber for Moats. :?

Not thrilled with admitting it, but since Westbrook was re-signed Moats is a wasted pick. The pick was to either have "insurance" in case Westbrook bolted and to make Westbrook feel that he needed to sign a deal.

bsaza2358
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Excellent point, Dillen, but I can't blame the Eagles for making that move at the time. They were both sending a message to BWest and looking for continuity in the offense if he left. I liked the move then, so I can't look and give them flack for it now. I liked Barber quite a bit, but you can't cry about it now.

Dillen
02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm still fine with the pick because it was a good pick at the time. It seems that the team has already given up on him though. He got time in what, 5 games this year?

cunningham06
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm still fine with the pick because it was a good pick at the time. It seems that the team has already given up on him though. He got time in what, 5 games this year?

I really was disappointed by how few touches he got this season. That early injury really set him back. If you remember most of us were talking about Moats getting 5-7 carries a game.

jblaze66
02-02-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm curious what you guys think of my all-time Eagles team that I posted in the NFL forum. The Offensive Guards were tough for me but I think I did ok for the most part. I'm ready lay it on me.

bsaza2358
02-02-2007, 08:21 AM
jblaze, it would be helpful for you to copy and paste the post here. I'm curious to read it, but I'm not going to search for it. Thanks.

Eaglez.Fan
02-02-2007, 08:52 AM
How good of a pick would Nate Ilaoa be in the second day, he is a big back that takes punishment, and keeps on running look at the video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

as a day 2 pick i think it would be a good one, he can be a hb/fb since he is so big

Since i do like Miami i ll throw tyrone moss in to the shuffle, i think either guys would be decent, Miami does turn out pretty decent rbs, like Gore, for SF

Talk about a less hyped Brian Leonard. I have a feeling he'll go in the 3rd round though. And his legs move extremely fast, which is a great thing.

And theres the team, no Irving Fryar?

QB: Ron Jaworski, Donovan McNabb
HB: Steve Van Buren, Wilbert Montgomery
FB: Keith Byars, Bill Barnes
WR: Harold Carmichael, Pete Pihos
WR: Tommy McDonald, Mike Quick
TE: Pete Retzlaff, Keith Jackson
OT: Al Wistert, Stan Walters
OT: Jerry Sisemore, Bob Brown
OG: Shawn Andrews
OG: Ron Baker
C: Chuck Bednarik, Alex Wociechowicz

DE: Reggie White, Tim Rossovich
DE: Clyde Simmons
DT: Jerome Brown
DT: Charlie Johnson
OLB: Seth Joyner, Maxie Baughan
MLB: Chuck Bednarik, Bill Bergey
OLB: William Thomas, John Bunting
CB: Eric Allen, Bobby Taylor
CB: Troy Vincent, Tom Brookshier
SS: Andre Waters, Randy Logan
FS: Brian Dawkins, Bill Bradley

K: David Akers, Bobby Walston
P: Joe Muha
KR/PR: Timmy Brown, Vai Sikahema
ST: Ike Reese

Dillen
02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
You seemed to do pretty well for the most part, blaze. I'd definitely have to put Randall on there though, although I guess it's hard to put him over either of the two QBs you have. It sucks about Jerome Brown...he was so good and so young. I'd have a hard time leaving off Byron Evans and Wes Hopkins, although obviously it's not like they have Simoneau and Blaine Bishop ahead of them.

Eaglez, Irving Fryar was awesome for the Eagles but was only on the team for 3 years I believe.

jblaze66
02-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for quoting it Eaglez.Fan, I didn't think to do that. Would have been alot easier for you all heh.

You seemed to do pretty well for the most part, blaze. I'd definitely have to put Randall on there though, although I guess it's hard to put him over either of the two QBs you have. It sucks about Jerome Brown...he was so good and so young. I'd have a hard time leaving off Byron Evans and Wes Hopkins, although obviously it's not like they have Simoneau and Blaine Bishop ahead of them.

Eaglez, Irving Fryar was awesome for the Eagles but was only on the team for 3 years I believe.

Yes it was tough to leave out Byron and Wes. Byron was a great MLB but I just felt that Bednarik had to be there of course and Bergey played for so many years it was just too tough to eliminate either of those guys. Bill Bradley and Wes Hopkins were very close and probably could be interchanged, both were great in their own right. I agree with you about Fryar, he was a great player for us but he cant beat out those four I have there. This is defintely something we can tweak to make sure we have it right. Thanks for the response guys keep it coming.

Go_Eagles77
02-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow I didn't really think about it before but now that I do I guess Shawn Andrews probably really is the best guard in eagles history. He's just that dominant.

jonbrodo17
02-03-2007, 10:29 AM
how about Brian Mitchell at KR?

jonbrodo17
02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
wait nvm i think that Timmy Brown is better

boknows34
02-03-2007, 11:43 AM
The Eagles have 6 draft picks and need about 11 players to fill free agent holes and upgrade the backup depth. Remember they have 21 of 22 starters signed for 2007. Their needs are -
DE - They probably can't afford to keep Juqua Thomas who will get a good FA offer elsewhere
DT - If Bunkley doesn't step up the 2006 performance will be repeated
MLB - Trotter's on his last legs, no pun intended
OLB - Still need to upgrade and Barber is FA
S - could lose 2 in FA, M. Lewis is gone for sure and Mikell might leave
CB - Rod Hood wants and will probably get starter money
QB - If Garcia goes in FA we need a replacement, if we resign him let's trade AJ Feeley for one of the draft picks we need
RB - Still need that big boomer to complement Westbrook. Mahe is a FA and even if he stays Bloom is going to get his KR job, Moats is a smurf, and Buckhalter is a FA who isn't the answer even if he stays.
WR - If Stallworth leaves via FA, which is likely, this becomes a high priority. If not maybe we're ok.
TE - Need some competition for Schoebel at backup TE, maybe we can find a sleeper.

OK - how do we get the picks to fill the holes. Remember we don't have a #4 due to the Stallworth trade.

Assume we lose Garcia, Stallworth, Hood, M. Lewis, Q. Mikell, S. Barber, and J. Thomas on free agency
Trade our #1 (26th pick) for a 2 and a 3
Trade DT Darwin Walker for a #4 (Replace him w/ Terdall Sands in FA)
Trade OT William Thomas for a #4 (Replace with Winston Justice who is already on the roster)
Trade WR G. Lewis for a #5

Sign 2 FA's Terdell Sands DT (Oakland) to replace Walker and Drew Bennett (Tennessee) to replace Stallworth

That's 4 additional picks - now there's 10
2 Brandon Merriweather S Miami - replaces M. Lewis
2 Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse - replaces Rod Hood
3 Paul Williams WR Fresno- replaces G. Lewis
3 Tony Hunt RB Penn State- replaces Buckhalter
4 Desmond Bishop MLB California - becomes Trotter's backup & takes Dhani Jones' roster spot
4 Sal Piscatelli - replaces Q Mikell
5 Rory Johnson OLB Mississippi repplaces Barber
5 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada- replaces Garcia - AJ is the #2 for '07
6 Jay Moore DE Nebraska- replaces Juqua Thomas
7 Tyler Ecker TE Michigan competes with Schoebel

OLB Gocong comes from IR to take D Jones OLB spot
KR Bloom comes off IR to take Mahe's roster spot

Dillen
02-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Trading Tra Thomas for a 4th round pick is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Terdell Sands has done nothing in his entire career except be big. Trading Greg Lewis for a 5th round pick is also pointless, he's better than any 5th rounder you're going to get. Otherwise I like what you did.

Also losing Mikell would suck. Why would you let him go? He won't get starter money and has a lot of value as an Eagle.

mpt117
02-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Round 1: Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss-with Trotter on his last legs, Willis would fit the bill as his replacement
http://taken2thextreme.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/willis.jpg.w300h421.jpg

Round 2: Eric Weddle S Utah-is very versatile and could play CB too. all around great player. has ball-hawking skills and a good tackler as well
http://deseretnews.com/photos/2447993.jpg

Round 3: re-signed Stallworth

Round 4: Tim Crowder DE Texas-could fall into round 4; is athletic and is good against the run. also, has great intangibles and motor
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2006/teams/photos/texas.jpg

what do you guys think?

Eaglez.Fan
02-04-2007, 08:34 AM
That would be ideal but Weddle will most likely be gone by our 2nd rounder. And I love the Crowder pick, pretty underrated IMO. But again he most likely won't be there.

Go_Eagles77
02-04-2007, 10:50 AM
That would be ideal but Weddle will most likely be gone by our 2nd rounder. And I love the Crowder pick, pretty underrated IMO. But again he most likely won't be there.

Not to mention Willis will be gone by our first rounder.

mpt117
02-04-2007, 11:53 AM
ya i was just thinking because in all the mocks i have seen they have willis falling to the end of round 1. and i have seen in some mocks that weddle will be at the end of round 2, or we could always trade up because we always do in the draft. finally, on crowder, i think he has the potential to fall. now hes a 3rd rounder but i have a feeling he could fall into the 4th round like jean-gilles, gabe watson, darnell bing, and ko simpson did last year

Dillen
02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Not to mention Willis will be gone by our first rounder.
I agree that he SHOULD be gone, but he probably wont test all that well. It's a possibility.

mpt117
02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
how bout this for a full mock?:

Round 1: Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss

Round 2: Eric Weddle S Utah

Round 4: Tim Crowder DE Texas

Round 5: Mario Henderson OT Florida St.

Round 6: Walter Thomas DT North Mississippi CC

Round 7: Tyler Ecker TE Michigan

mpt117
02-04-2007, 03:21 PM
or another mock could be:

Round 1: Michael Griffin S Texas

Round 2: Chris Houston CB Arkansas

Round 4: Desmond Bishop LB Cal

Round 5: Xzavie Jackson DE Missouri

Round 6: Stephen Heyer OT Maryland

Round 7: Danny Ware RB Georgia

GDawg239
02-04-2007, 09:46 PM
you think the eagles might try and pick up any linbacker in the FA, you got Briggs, I think Fleather from the Bills, and Thomas from the Ravens,

Picking up any of thes guys would be nice, not sure how they would fit in our system or work in our system

GDawg239
02-05-2007, 12:48 AM
scrath taht fleather is 32 and we need someone young, my bad

but though wat do u guy still think of thomas and Briggs, i doubt we would pruse them but it would be nice having either one

mpt117
02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
who the hell is fleather? fletcher is more like it, no he is up there in age and we prob dont want a LB on the small side either. thomas and briggs def not way too much money and we dont got a lot of money under the cap as other teams too. if anything, they will both resign or briggs will get overpaid. we have young LBs in mccoy, gaither, and gocong that still need time to develop. cant give up on a 2nd year player in his first year of starting, a rookie, and a player that hasnt played yet.

bsaza2358
02-05-2007, 11:33 AM
The Eagles are going to be very light in FA this year. They have only $13mm in cap right now, unless they start restructuring contracts. They have to consider resigning several FA's: Buck, Mikell, Michael Lewis, Reno Mahe, Dirk Johnson, Garcia, and Stallworth. The team tends to keep its own before it goes off signing other teams' players. I look for more in-house signings before going outside.

Briggs is going to be too expensive. London Fletcher is old and small and not good for our system. Thomas would be great for us, but he's 30 and will command more money than the Eagles will spend.

Green Kool Aid
02-05-2007, 03:09 PM
The Eagles are going to be very light in FA this year. They have only $13mm in cap right now, unless they start restructuring contracts. They have to consider resigning several FA's: Buck, Mikell, Michael Lewis, Reno Mahe, Dirk Johnson, Garcia, and Stallworth. The team tends to keep its own before it goes off signing other teams' players. I look for more in-house signings before going outside.

Briggs is going to be too expensive. London Fletcher is old and small and not good for our system. Thomas would be great for us, but he's 30 and will command more money than the Eagles will spend.

Dave Spadaro says "Get over it".

bsaza2358
02-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Dave Spadaro says "Get over it".

What does that even mean? Thanks for your consistently underwhelming contribution to this thread...

bsaza2358
02-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm not complaining that the Eagles are going to spend little in FA. I was just stating fact and refuting prior claims that they should sign a LB in FA. I think they are in decent shape for the future.

Dillen
02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
They have to consider resigning several FA's: Buck, Mikell, Michael Lewis, Reno Mahe, Dirk Johnson, Garcia, and Stallworth.
Sadly, Dirk is not a free agent. :(

mpt117
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM
but could get cut depending on how sav rocca does :D

ftbl88
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey, just joined and would like to start off on a good note.Hopefully, Rocca comes into camp and brings a monster boot with him. I'm pretty sure if he can kick as advertised Dirk will be lookin for work. :D

America
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Dawkins withdrew from the Pro Bowl...personal reasons.

GDawg239
02-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Any chance that the eagles might go after a rb like Turner, since he might not be signed by the chargers.

mpt117
02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
^^^ uhh no...turner is a restricted free agent and if we signed him we would have to give up our 1st rounder or w/e. no chance in hell that happens. and we dont have enough money. and we dont need a rb that bad and turner looking to start. why you keep coming up with these ideas? are you an eagles fan?

fondoffilm
02-05-2007, 08:11 PM

And somehow Sean Taylor was tapped to replace him.

GDawg239
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
yes, and i like to see what people think of my crazy ideas, u know just to see

I think the eagles will draft 2 safeties a SS for sure, and a FS, to be ready to start in the 08 season, because B-dak is turning 34 in 07 season, and the eagles do like to groom there def players before starting them, i mean really how many rookies on the eagles d start

mpt117
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
ya it dont seem like it esp with the fitz pick, because if you were you know that we have like no room in our cap to do anything in free agency besides resign our players. also reading what people have posted before on here you know none of these things you propose would def not happen

GDawg239
02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
come on am i really gonna read like 26 pages worth of post i mean if i had some time on my hands sure, but i really dont u might read all 26 pages but i havent

mpt117
02-05-2007, 08:44 PM
im talkin about recently

cunningham06
02-05-2007, 09:23 PM

Not much information out there on what these personal reasons may be, probably a death in the family. I will be sad that I don't get to see Dawkins play in the Pro Bowl, but it's a meaningless game and this means he doesn't run the risk of getting hurt.

ftbl88
02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey Eagles fans, I would like a few names on who we would like to pick up in ANY round. Open to all ideas and try to have fun with this one and actually think about what would help the team most and what is also most realistic. This may include REALISTIC trades to acquire picks or trading up, as long as it doesn't screw us over for the rest of the draft or upcoming drafts. Suggestions...Withful thinking... anything that will improve the team and tell us why.

ftbl88
02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Who do you guys think the Eagles should get in FA? Some possible players I am thinking of are Ian Scott or another run stopping DT, not Terdell Sands though, he would cost too much. Maybe a cheap OLB to compete with Gocong in case he isn't what we all hope, because we don't want the Bowtie at WILL anymore, he is killing us. I think we get a CB in FA, most likely one we never heard of before and one more in the draft, but who do you think in FA? It is very likely now that Donte Stallworth is coming back so that is not a need, and it wouldn't be even if he was, Hank Baskett will make an even bigger impact next year along with Jason Avant. Garcia might be back, but if he isn't, Feely will be our #2 and Koy will be our holder (technically #2 due to the rule that the holder must be the #2 QB or the punter). Do we re-sign Juqua Thomas? Rod Hood/ Michael Lewis are gone. Is Buck Back? Will Will James or Joselio Hanson be our Nickel? Do we cut anyone to get more cap room? Give me your thoughts on who you want that the Eagles could afford, given they only have 12.4 mil in cap room right now?

cunningham06
02-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Who do you guys think the Eagles should get in FA? Some possible players I am thinking of are Ian Scott or another run stopping DT, not Terdell Sands though, he would cost too much. Maybe a cheap OLB to compete with Gocong in case he isn't what we all hope, because we don't want the Bowtie at WILL anymore, he is killing us. I think we get a CB in FA, most likely one we never heard of before and one more in the draft, but who do you think in FA? It is very likely now that Donte Stallworth is coming back so that is not a need, and it wouldn't be even if he was, Hank Baskett will make an even bigger impact next year along with Jason Avant. Garcia might be back, but if he isn't, Feely will be our #2 and Koy will be our holder (technically #2 due to the rule that the holder must be the #2 QB or the punter). Do we re-sign Juqua Thomas? Rod Hood/ Michael Lewis are gone. Is Buck Back? Will Will James or Joselio Hanson be our Nickel? Do we cut anyone to get more cap room? Give me your thoughts on who you want that the Eagles could afford, given they only have 12.4 mil in cap room right now?

Terdell Sands I think won't be all that expensive, he's just really huge. Ian Scott is interesting I really hadn't thought about him much. I don't care who we pick we just need a good run stuffing massive DT

Hank Baskett I think will improve, but I doubt he would turn into a legit #2 by this season. We've got Reggie Brown as an outright starter, but other than him there's not really any starting caliber WR if we let Stallworth go. If we don't resign him we need to address WR on Day 1. I think of Baskett as the broke ass mans version of Marques Colston. He's got good speed, fantastic jumping ability, the only problem is his catching was really bad. If he can improve his catching and his route running he could someday become a solid #2. Avant will be a reliable third down option, no more, no less. He's got great hands, other than that he doesn't really excell in anything else.

We don't need Garcia, let him go. He would be unnecessary, Feeley is a good enough backup, and we need the cap space.

I expect Joselio Hanson to get the nickelback position.

Here's what I would do if I were the Eagles front office:
-resign Juqua Thomas- we need his pass rushing ability, and there aren't many better backup DE's in the league.
-forget Hood/Lewis
-Let Buck go
-Rely on Bruce Perry for power running
Cuts:
Matt Schobel- he is making quite a bit of money for doing very little. He was bad for most of the season, but to his merit ended decently. I don't really like our two tight end sets anyway.
Bartrum- IF he decides to come back after his injury, I would cut him. I really like the guy and he's a good player, but he had a near career ending injury, and we could probably find a younger cheaper replacement if we don't want to go with Dorenbos.
Jerome McDougle- Sucking up money and not making a difference, no real reason to keep him.
Trade Darwin Walker- He had decent stats this season, so now would be the time to trade him. We might be able to get a 4th rounder for him, or we could throw in a draft pick ourselves and get a good player out of it. There are several possible scenarios here.

*I don't actually think all of these players will be released/traded, but some of them will I expect.

Those are just some of my ideas.

cunningham06
02-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey Eagles fans, I would like a few names on who we would like to pick up in ANY round. Open to all ideas and try to have fun with this one and actually think about what would help the team most and what is also most realistic. This may include REALISTIC trades to acquire picks or trading up, as long as it doesn't screw us over for the rest of the draft or upcoming drafts. Suggestions...Withful thinking... anything that will improve the team and tell us why.

Here are a few players that I like:

Selvin Young
Demarcus Tyler
Keith Jackson
Lawrence Timmons
Prescott Burgess
Buster Davis- I love this guy, he can also play outside, he’s got great instincts, and after watching Florida State play this season, he is not nearly as slow as his time suggests, he was all over the field, and is a great playmaker.
Anthony Waters
Michael Griffin
Patrick Willis

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Terdell Sands I think won't be all that expensive, he's just really huge.
I hate to say it but I do think he will be too expensive because he is young (I think 25-26) and he is covetted by many teams other than the Eagles. He knows this, and more importantly, his agent knows this, so I doubt he would be a pickup for the Eagles. It would be nice though. One benefit to getting him or a player like Ian Scott would be we would be able to trade Darwin Walker in the draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if we kept him if One of those DT's was signed by the Eagles. Trade Darwin Walker- He had decent stats this season, so now would be the time to trade him. We might be able to get a 4th rounder for him, or we could throw in a draft pick ourselves and get a good player out of it. There are several possible scenarios here. I think the Eagles could get more than a 4th rounder for Darwin Walker. He is a good pass rusher with decint size and has been a starter in the NFL for a while. The Bucs got a second rounder for Booger McFarland, and I believe Walker is at least at his level, plus he is younger. I believe we could get an early third rounder or a late second rounder for Walker IF we find a team that is willing to make that trade. As you said cunningham06, there are very many possibilities here for the Eagles, like packaging him with a pick, that would be a more likely way to get into the second round with Darwin Walker. Thoughts anyone? :?:

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 07:06 AM
I hate to say it but I do think he will be too expensive because he is young (I think 25-26) and he is covetted by many teams other than the Eagles. He knows this, and more importantly, his agent knows this, so I doubt he would be a pickup for the Eagles. It would be nice though. One benefit to getting him or a player like Ian Scott would be we would be able to trade Darwin Walker in the draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if we kept him if One of those DT's was signed by the Eagles. Trade Darwin Walker- He had decent stats this season, so now would be the time to trade him. We might be able to get a 4th rounder for him, or we could throw in a draft pick ourselves and get a good player out of it. There are several possible scenarios here. I think the Eagles could get more than a 4th rounder for Darwin Walker. He is a good pass rusher with decint size and has been a starter in the NFL for a while. The Bucs got a second rounder for Booger McFarland, and I believe Walker is at least at his level, plus he is younger. I believe we could get an early third rounder or a late second rounder for Walker IF we find a team that is willing to make that trade. As you said cunningham06, there are very many possibilities here for the Eagles, like packaging him with a pick, that would be a more likely way to get into the second round with Darwin Walker. Thoughts anyone? :?:

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 07:28 AM
What are your thoughts on this guy? I think he would be a valuable asset to the team. He is the only offensive player worth the Eagles picking up on the first day. I see him as the Reggie Bush of FBs. I kid you not. If you don't believe me, go on to youtube or googlevideos and type in Leonard Leap. For those of you that don't want to, I'll explain. He can do just about anything you ask him to. He can plow over a guy, or jump clean over them. In the Louisville game, he jumped over a defender who was trying to tackle him who was 6'4" :shock: :shock: :shock: . Granted the guy was in a football playing position, so Leonard only 8) jumped about 5 feet or so in the air. He is a good blocker as well and that can only be improved. But what I think is most important to the Eagles scheme, he is an excellent receiver, just like Westbrook. Another positive, we would now be able to get those 3rd and 3 or 4th and 1 on the ground. It would take pressure off of Donovan and the offense would be one of the best in the NFL, most likely #1. Just think what opposing defenses would have to deal with in the passing game. Stallworth, (he will be back :D , quote me on that one), Downtown Reggie Brown, L.J., Westy, and Leonard :D . The opposing D wouldn't stand a chance.Anyone who watched the Rutgers games knows exactly what I am talking about. Tapeh would likely be cut or traded :( but that is okay with Leonard as the replacement. One guy the Eagles could get if Leonard is gobbled up by someone else or if they don't try to get him is Nate Illoa. He is 5'8'' 245 lbs, but is fast, 4.5 forty, like Leonard. He would pound the rock just like Leonard, but would more likely be a backup RB, which means goodbye to Buck :( . Nate is also a good receiving back as well (you must be if you go to Hawaii).If you are interested look him up too, I am sure you would be surprised. Either one of these guys I would be happy with, but I would be ecstatic with Leonard.

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to put that one in there twice, I think my computer threw up on me :lol: .

Dillen
02-06-2007, 09:53 AM
@Cunningham
Bartrum is retiring/retired already.

@Eaglesalltheway
First, we all know who Brian Leonard is.

No chance in hell the Eagles get a late 2nd - early 3rd for Walker. He is a one trick pony. He's just about at the end of DTs careers (early 30s). He's at his best when he only plays 3rd downs. He is absolutely worthless against the run. He has his own business and his heart really isn't in football anymore. McFarland hasn't lived up to his first rounder status but he's one of the best run stuffing DTs in the league. Walker isn't at the top in any category.

If anyone "covets" Terdell Sands they are absolutely ********. He has done absolutely nothing in his entire career. The ONLY good thing about him is that he's big.

If the Eagles drafted Leonard they wouldn't cut Tapeh. He was really good this year. Tapeh still plays FB and Leonard would be the 2nd RB and play FB sometimes.

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I really like Anthony Waters. Maybe we could get him in the third. He would be a perfect fit to replace Trotter when he retires. He was a Pre-season All American but went down for the season due to a knee injury. He could do what most of the other LBs for the Eagles have done in recent years and go on IR for the first year if his knee still needs to recuperate. I think it is a given that Michael Griffin would be picked by the Eagles if he is available when they pick. I am not sure on Lawrence Timmons, but he seems to be flying up draft boards recently. I've seen some drafts that have him going #13 or #14. Now that is a bit of a stretch, but some team may be willing to draft him in that range just for his potential. Any CBs that the Eagles could possibly be interested in, and what late round O-line prospects might Andy be looking at. (Face it you know he is :) )

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 01:46 PM
No chance in hell the Eagles get a late 2nd - early 3rd for Walker.

You are probably right, it was a little bit of wishful thinking. I think a late third is possible, though.

If anyone "covets" Terdell Sands they are absolutely dumb.

I probably used too strong a word for Terdell Sands. But there are some teams that are interested (better word I think) in him. Oakland may want him back as well. A good run stuffing DT is always a good thing to have to help a D. It frees up linebackers to make plays or they can penetrate of the snap and disrupt a play in the backfield. I still think there are some teams that would outbid us for him because he did have a good season this year when he played. Sure no one has heard of him until this year, but if you saw any Raiders games, he was making plays when given the chance. I honestly believe some other team will give him a shot at a starter's role though.

If the Eagles drafted Leonard they wouldn't cut Tapeh.

This could go either way. If the Eagles keep Buck and draft Leonard, there is no need for a second FB on our team, we would need that roster spot for our lines. The Eagles could do something along the lines of what they did last year with Josh Parry. The Eagles got a 7th round pick in next year's draft from that trade I think. But if we let Buck go in FA, your scenario is more likely.

Dillen
02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I really like Anthony Waters. Maybe we could get him in the third. He would be a perfect fit to replace Trotter when he retires. He was a Pre-season All American but went down for the season due to a knee injury.

I am not sure on Lawrence Timmons, but he seems to be flying up draft boards recently.
Waters is pretty liked here among Eagles fans. He's a very good fit, and it kind of helps that he tore his ACL so they can wait until the 3rd round to take him.

I am a huge fan of Timmons. He's easily the best SLB prospect in this years draft. I like Gocong, but I would not be dissapointed at all if Timmons was still there and was the pick.

If Stallworth leaves I think the Eagles need to think about using a high pick on a WR. One of the best options at 26 is Robert Meachem. I posted this on another board:
My thoughts on him is that he would be a great fit for the offense. He has really good size and very good speed, so he would be a perfect fit for the X. He can get deep with his speed, or take a slant and break a few tackles and take it for six. Meachem seems like a great fit for what the Eagles want out of the X position, but here arises a few questions:

Since he's probably an early 2nd rounder at worst, if Stallworth isn't re-signed would he be a good option at 26? I know in general he's a good fit, but this year the Eagles didn't have any big problems on offense compared to defense. The defense was bad for a decent part of the year. Could they afford to spend a 1st round pick on offense? And would they spend it on a WR, when they haven't really had any history of going hard after that position, except Freddie, Owens, and Reggie, where only 1 of the 3 panned out.

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Here are two drafts I could see the Eagles doing which do you like better?

Round 1: Michael Griffin S Texas
Fills biggest need and is an excellent playmaker. I don't need to say much more, do I?
Round 2: Brian Leonard HB/FB Rutgers
An almost hometown favorite who would make the offense impossible to predict. Personally, one of my favorite players in the draft.
Round 3: Anthony Waters MLB Clemson
Another player I like who would be a great player to replace Trotter when he retires. Injuries are a little alarming.
Expect CB,DE,OL and some other possibilities in the later rounds.
OR

*This scenario would likely happen if the top 3 safeties are gone.*

Round 1. Charles Johnson DE Georgia
Probably the most balanced DE in the draft. Our DE's are old and although we have Trent Cole, Juqua Thomas is probably gone in FA. I would love to get Adam Carriker, but unfortunately, so would the Jets and they pick before us.

Round 2. Aaron Rouse S Virgina Tech
This guy is HUGE for a safety at 6'4'' and is probably in the running for 4th best safety with Brandon Meriwether. I think Meriwether will soar after the combine, only off field concerns are holding him back. If he is available here, I don't know who the Eagles would pick.

Round 3. Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
Has size and speed to become our Nickel and to cover Palxico and Owens :evil: . Will compete and be a very good CB for the Eagles.
Expect OL, Power RB, LB in the later rounds.

Dillen
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I'd be happy with both drafts. I like Aaron Rouse, but he's too much like Michael Lewis. The only thing you'd gain with him over Lewis is that he's much cheaper and a few years younger.

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I here a rumor going around that the Eagles will pursue Kawika Mitchell in FA. He is a MLB, and that is basically all I know about him. I would like to know more about him. The thing that scares me about the rumor, it says if we get him, we let go of Trotter. I would be disapointed, but I know some Eagles fans aren't too happy with Trotter and his play. What do you think of Kawika Mitchell as a player for the Eagles? I would like to know opinions, and also how much the salaray cap penalty would this cost the Eagles to cut Trotter. Opinions would be appreciated. Is this a load of BS that some random guy started or could this be true?

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't know if any of you guys know this or not but the Saints will only get our fourth rounder if the Eagles re-sign him during FA. This is why we have not heard anything about him being re-signed. Donte is being a true team player and saving the Eagles a valuable draft spot. Another reason to respect the guy. A few weeks ago on Rome is Burning, he kept on referring to the team as "We" and "Us". He truly is the anti-T.O. I think the two sides already have a deal planned out but Stallworth is being a hero and waiting to sign the deal because he likes being here so much. Trust me this isn't wishful thinking.

bsaza2358
02-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't know if any of you guys know this or not but the Saints will only get our fourth rounder if the Eagles re-sign him during FA. This is why we have not heard anything about him being re-signed. Donte is being a true team player and saving the Eagles a valuable draft spot. Another reason to respect the guy. A few weeks ago on Rome is Burning, he kept on referring to the team as "We" and "Us". He truly is the anti-T.O. I think the two sides already have a deal planned out but Stallworth is being a hero and waiting to sign the deal because he likes being here so much. Trust me this isn't wishful thinking.

I hope you're right eatw, but I can't guarantee that being the top FA WR on the market won't corrupt his thinking. There are plenty of teams out there with massive amounts of cap room (like Tennessee) who would shell out the money to Stallworth. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that the Eagles are outgunned money wise right now.

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't think Donte cares about the money as much as most seem to think, he spent so much time on a bad team while he was in New Orleans that he is happy to be with a contender in Philly. Plus he is loved by everyone in the organization and the fans, so I am pretty sure money is the least of his concerns. And Donovan is back next year, another plus.

bsaza2358
02-06-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't think Donte cares about the money as much as most seem to think, he spent so much time on a bad team while he was in New Orleans that he is happy to be with a contender in Philly. Plus he is loved by everyone in the organization and the fans, so I am pretty sure money is the least of his concerns. And Donovan is back next year, another plus.

I understand his reasons for wanting to come back to Philly. It is a great place to play, they have awesome facilities, and the team is ready to win now. I'm just saying that a team like the Texans can afford to offer him maybe $6mm more on the contract. $6mm and the chance to play with Vince Young could mean something to him. Again, I hope I'm wrong...

Dillen
02-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Why should we trust you? Just curious.

sirsmokealot28
02-06-2007, 05:10 PM

the same reason you do or dont trust your own opinion, or some supposed "expert" from espn, this website, or some other source with 50% success rate or higher. there is no reason to trust, or not to trust, its debate.

on another note, id like to get paul poslusny. i know he's an outside linebacker but the fact is he can plan any backer position. he's a penn state guy and true pa man. who knows he may even be an eagles fan (best kind of players to have). Im not huge on penn state an i think they have had mixed results with high end draft picks (remember when courtney brown and lavar arrington went #1 and #2 in the draft??? OUCH!!!) i think indeed picking him is going a little more out on a limb then drafting the "true fit" but the eagles have always been good at gambling on overlooked, or players that are written off SEE: (hank baskett, michael lewis, duce staley, brian westbrook, sheldon brown)

he is the type of physical linebacker we need, albeit he is a little on the slow side for most of our schemes.

cunningham06
02-06-2007, 05:21 PM

We'll see on Terdell Sands, I just see him as a situational player. As for Darwin Walker there is no way we get a 2nd rounder. For him and nothing else maybe a late 3rd round pick at best. He's a liability against the run. He's not a great pass rusher but he's pretty solid, he's an opportunistic player. McFarland got a 2nd round pick for him because that trade was in the middle of the season, and the Colts were desperate. I would rather have Booger than Walker no doubt. McFarland is a good run stuffer, and is pretty stout, he doesn't get bowled over like Walker does.

cunningham06
02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd be happy with both drafts. I like Aaron Rouse, but he's too much like Michael Lewis. The only thing you'd gain with him over Lewis is that he's much cheaper and a few years younger.

My exact thoughts on him as I was reading Scott's analysis of him. great minds think alike. I don't like players who aren't as fast as they time, if anything your game speed should be better than your timed speed.

cunningham06
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM

the same reason you do or dont trust your own opinion, or some supposed "expert" from espn, this website, or some other source with 50% success rate or higher. there is no reason to trust, or not to trust, its debate.

on another note, id like to get paul poslusny. i know he's an outside linebacker but the fact is he can plan any backer position. he's a penn state guy and true pa man. who knows he may even be an eagles fan (best kind of players to have). Im not huge on penn state an i think they have had mixed results with high end draft picks (remember when courtney brown and lavar arrington went #1 and #2 in the draft??? OUCH!!!) i think indeed picking him is going a little more out on a limb then drafting the "true fit" but the eagles have always been good at gambling on overlooked, or players that are written off SEE: (hank baskett, michael lewis, duce staley, brian westbrook, sheldon brown)

he is the type of physical linebacker we need, albeit he is a little on the slow side for most of our schemes.

For the 1,239,043,254,378,903rd time, Poz is not a good fit in our system, and would probably not do that well here. If I can say one think about our LB, it's that they are pretty physical except for Dhani Jones. Trotter and Gaither are both pretty physical. I do not see him being able to play SAM for us, I just can't see it even though it is said he can play all the positions, and the last thing we need is another WILL. Now having said that I wouldn't be too upset if the Eagles were to draft him, he's got a lot of potential and seems like a boom or bust prospect depending on where he goes. I don't believe Philly is the right place for him.

cunningham06
02-06-2007, 05:35 PM

I hope you're right eatw, but I can't guarantee that being the top FA WR on the market won't corrupt his thinking. There are plenty of teams out there with massive amounts of cap room (like Tennessee) who would shell out the money to Stallworth. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that the Eagles are outgunned money wise right now.

It's possible that Stallworth would take a smaller contract so he could stay here. Many people, myself included expect the Titans to go WR in round 1, so they may decide to pass on Stallworth and draft a WR. After all he just left a team that suddenly became a legitimate playoff contender, it's doubtful he would want to go to a sub-par team that doesn't have much of a post season shot, like the Texans I'm sorry to say. Hopefully his team loyalty will play a role if he becomes a free agent.

Sorry for so many posts in a row, but damn this forum has gotten really popular lately.

ftbl88
02-06-2007, 06:24 PM

The truth is you don't need to trust me. All you need to trust is the wording of the trade. It says that the conditional pick will go from a 4th rounder to a 3rd rounder if there is a contract extension. The Eagles are a smart organization, so they will RE-SIGN Stallworth, not give him a contract extension. That is smart if you ask me.

I promise I am not from ESPN and I don't claim to be an expert by any means. I am a guy in a smallish town in Eastern PA with a passion for Eagles Football. All I have done is read into a few of the things the Eagles have said and used the info available to me. (If I was an expert, I would be able to figure out how to quote the rest of you guys with that box :lol: ) As for the whole Donte resigning and only losing a fourth, IF I am wrong I should be expecting a lot of crap from everyone in this forum, and I would deserve it.

sirsmokealot28
02-06-2007, 07:58 PM

For the 1,239,043,254,378,903rd time, Poz is not a good fit in our system, and would probably not do that well here. If I can say one think about our LB, it's that they are pretty physical except for Dhani Jones. Trotter and Gaither are both pretty physical. I do not see him being able to play SAM for us, I just can't see it even though it is said he can play all the positions, and the last thing we need is another WILL. Now having said that I wouldn't be too upset if the Eagles were to draft him, he's got a lot of potential and seems like a boom or bust prospect depending on where he goes. I don't believe Philly is the right place for him.

which is why if you read my post you'd have noticed the part i talked about not drafting a "true fit" etc, and how he is the type of PERSON and even player we want playing for us not so much a fit.

bsaza2358
02-07-2007, 08:23 AM
sirsmoke, if the personality and football IQ fit is there, great, but all that is moot if the guy can't be deployed within our system in a way that will help the team. Case and point, I would love to have a guy like Ronde Barber on our team. He play the game the right way and knows a lot. However, he is not very good in man coverage, so he wouldn't be deployed well. Same thing goes for Poz. He doesn't fit the attacking Eagles system. He's more of a Baltimore/Cincinatti kind of guy. Read and react.

sirsmokealot28
02-07-2007, 12:51 PM
sirsmoke, if the personality and football IQ fit is there, great, but all that is moot if the guy can't be deployed within our system in a way that will help the team. Case and point, I would love to have a guy like Ronde Barber on our team. He play the game the right way and knows a lot. However, he is not very good in man coverage, so he wouldn't be deployed well. Same thing goes for Poz. He doesn't fit the attacking Eagles system. He's more of a Baltimore/Cincinatti kind of guy. Read and react.

aye, you guys missed my point completely.......did donovan mcnabb fit our system when he came in?? ABSOLUTLY NOT, however after about 3 years in the system he blossomed into 1 of the greatest QB's in the game playing a different style football than he was accustomed to.

bsaza2358
02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I think your point is off base and incorrect in this case. McNabb didn't play in a pro-style offense in college, but he had size, speed, a huge arm, an excellent work ethic, and the overall skill set to be a franchise QB. His skills fit the system Andy Reid wanted to run.

Poz is a much more limited football player than McNabb was coming out of college. He can tackle well and has amazing instincts, but his physical tools (size, strength, foot speed) are limited. He doesn't have the burst to play in the Jim Johnson defense and get pressure on the QB. He lacks the strength to shed blocks to make tackles. He lacks the speed and agility to cover RB's and TE's in space. Poz makes up for his physical deficiencies with his instincts. He doesn't have much more ceiling, and he's a safe pick. I don't expect him to be a star in the NFL, but he'll be a capable starter for someone, not the Eagles.

Not being familiar with a system and not having the physical tools to play in a system are 2 different things. McNabb lacked familiarity, while Poz doesn't have the tools.

Dillen
02-07-2007, 01:36 PM
My exact thoughts on him as I was reading Scott's analysis of him. great minds think alike. I don't like players who aren't as fast as they time, if anything your game speed should be better than your timed speed.
Eh...I wouldn't call Scott a great mind.

bsaza2358
02-07-2007, 01:53 PM

I think he was calling you a great mind.

Dillen
02-07-2007, 02:05 PM

"alike" would mean two people, Bsaza. I definitely do not object to me being awesome, however.

eazyb81
02-07-2007, 02:42 PM
No Andy Reid discussion? How is Philly reacting to the news surrounding his two sons? Drugs and weapons charges.....yikes.

bsaza2358
02-07-2007, 02:43 PM

"alike" would mean two people, Bsaza. I definitely do not object to me being awesome, however.

I think he was lumping himself in with you, so Cunningham was saying you and he were both great.

ftbl88
02-07-2007, 02:52 PM
My opinion on Pozluszny is a little mixed. Sure he doesn't have the physical tools that you look for in a LB, but you can't argue with his production. It takes a good player to pile up the numbers he did, especially with a LB as good as Connor on his team. But he is a bit slow and that is a major concern if he is going to succeed in the NFL. He isn't my first pick for the Eagles, but I don't think I was be mad if they picked him.

bsaza2358
02-07-2007, 02:59 PM
No Andy Reid discussion? How is Philly reacting to the news surrounding his two sons? Drugs and weapons charges.....yikes.

Personal issues with one's children has nothing to do with the Eagles to me. It is a mild distraction in the offseason, but it is no reflection on Reid's abilities as a head coach or the future of the Eagles organization. To me, it's a family matter and one that does not impact the Eagles, so it's not worth discussing at length.

sirsmokealot28
02-07-2007, 04:08 PM

because it in no way affects his job security, or the team in any way. it happened in the off season, and won't cause reid any loss of work. its a personal issue and it really has no affect on the Philadelphia Eagles.

ftbl88
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree with everyone on this. This will not affect the Eagles at all. Sure this is a big problem for the two boys and I am sure Andy will set things straight. The Eagles will pass this situation by with no prblems.

cunningham06
02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree with everyone on this. This will not affect the Eagles at all. Sure this is a big problem for the two boys and I am sure Andy will set things straight. The Eagles will pass this situation by with no prblems.

One of the boys reportedly admitted to doing #######, so hopefully Reid can straighten him out. Doesn't really affect the team, but it sucks for Reid.

eazyb81
02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Well obviously it won't affect the Eagles, but it's still an alarming story that involves your head coach - I don't see the point in downplaying the incident.

Anyways, I was just looking to get some feedback on how Philly is reacting to Reid's son being involved with coke, smack, and weapons.

Dillen
02-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Well obviously it won't affect the Eagles, but it's still an alarming story that involves your head coach - I don't see the point in downplaying the incident.
There's nothing to downplay dude. It isnt important.

GDawg239
02-07-2007, 11:23 PM
SO do we draft two safeties this year or do we wait to draft one next year

bsaza2358
02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
SO do we draft two safeties this year or do we wait to draft one next year

I would be shocked if there wasn't at least 1 safety in this year's draft haul. 2 is possible, but likely 1 now and at least a developmental CB prospect. I'm thinking 1 drafted safety + at least 1 UDFA.

NikkiSixx
02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
someone mentioned ian scott a while back---wasn't he one of the guys that just got worn down by the colts' line on sunday? more than anything we need a big guy who can took up space inside. imho, that, and bunkley performing up to his draft position would help more than getting another 300-pound body (like patterson, walker, rayburn...)

NikkiSixx
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
i had a question about timmons--there's talk about him being a strong-side guy, but the measurables i'm seeing on him are 6-foot, 230 lbs. seems a little small, especially considering dhani jones is on the small side as well. any chance they could get the kid from nebraska who did well at senior bowl and has really good size for SS linebacker?

bsaza2358
02-08-2007, 11:21 AM
eagleseye, Scott and Scouts, Inc. both have Timmons listed at 6'3", with his weight anywhere between 230 and 235. Steward Bradley is 6'4" and 240 or so. Timmons is supposed to be much faster and have an attacking style of play. Bradley is slower, has injury concerns, and he doesn't have as high a ceiling. I think Timmons has the size and bulk to play SAM, but he will need to add 5-10 lbs. I'd rather have his athleticism and ceiling, but I wouldn't be against Bradley's run-stopping ability and consistency.

bsaza2358
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Regarding Timmons, the OLB class this season is expected to be very weak. Even though he is raw and doesn't have a lot of starting experience, Timmons' athleticism and ability is unquestioned. I am pretty sure that once he runs at the combine and such, he will vault up the boards and could easily be the first LB chosen. I doubt he becomes an Eagle without a trade up.

NikkiSixx
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
ok, 6'3" makes a LOT more sense. wonder why i thought he was only 6 foot...

bsaza2358
02-08-2007, 01:35 PM
ok, 6'3" makes a LOT more sense. wonder why i thought he was only 6 foot...

Easy to misread all these numbers. 3 inches doesn't mean a ton once you're over 6'1", but 6'3" seems to be the start of the prototypical classic LB size. Obviously, bigger and smaller guys are successful, but Timmons has an NFL body right now. He does have to add some weight, though.

Dillen
02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
i had a question about timmons--there's talk about him being a strong-side guy, but the measurables i'm seeing on him are 6-foot, 230 lbs. seems a little small, especially considering dhani jones is on the small side as well. any chance they could get the kid from nebraska who did well at senior bowl and has really good size for SS linebacker?
6'3" 235ish. Size isn't EVERYTHING, especially when you see how plays.

Stephen Nicholas from UCF is a good SLB prospect too, even though he doesn't have prototypical size, he's a little lighter than Timmons.

NikkiSixx
02-08-2007, 02:41 PM
the only question is if you take timmons, now you have two young guys as SS projects (him and gocong). i'd be glad to have gocong as a situational pass rusher, but they seem committed to him playing strongside LB.

NikkiSixx
02-08-2007, 03:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2758164

discuss among yourselves.

ftbl88
02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Regarding Timmons, the OLB class this season is expected to be very weak.

As much as many of the people in here may not like it, I don't think it is likely the Eagles would draft a LB in the first few rounds at all. We have plenty of young LBs on our team. Gaither, Gocong and McCoy are all players we have drafted in the past two years of the draft. I think this off-season, LB will pretty much stay the same, unless the Eagles are putting up a smokescreen. The Eagles LB corp in the next few years could be Gaither: MLB, McCoy: WILL, and Gocong: SAM, but as an Eagles fan I would hate to see it. The Eagles think Gaither is is our future MLB and still have faith in McCoy. (I don't know why) They also are high on Gocong, but who knows what he is going to do. He will be one of the most interesting players to watch in the preseason. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that would not be what I want for a LB corp. (Mostly because of McCoy, he is too small. Its OK to be small, as long as your durable and tough, but he hasn't proven that yet.)Honestly, if the Eagles would draft a LB, I think it would be Anthony Waters, but he would be our MLB and Gaither would be our WILL. I like Gaither, I want to see him start somewhere next year. The more pressing need is safety, hopefully Griffin, but if he is gone, either trade down IF we can find someone to work with us, reach on Meriwether (I find this unlikely) or draft a DE like Charles Johnson or Lamaar Woodley or Adam Carriker. (Carriker would be my choice, but the Jets want him too.) As for safety, the only way we draft two safeties this year is if Mikell is let go. If that were to happen, we would get an early safety and a late one, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only got one even if Mikell would leave. Considine could be our FS and an early round safety like Griffin could be our SS. I like what I see out of Considine coverage-wise, so that is a little plus for me. When Dawkins retires, he will be our FS and that experiment will hopefully be a success becuase he won't have to come up to support the run as much while at FS. I still would rather have a future FS in case Considine doesn't work out there either.

Go_Eagles77
02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Regarding Timmons, the OLB class this season is expected to be very weak.

As much as many of the people in here may not like it, I don't think it is likely the Eagles would draft a LB in the first few rounds at all. We have plenty of young LBs on our team. Gaither, Gocong and McCoy are all players we have drafted in the past two years of the draft. I think this off-season, LB will pretty much stay the same, unless the Eagles are putting up a smokescreen. The Eagles LB corp in the next few years could be Gaither: MLB, McCoy: WILL, and Gocong: SAM, but as an Eagles fan I would hate to see it. The Eagles think Gaither is is our future MLB and still have faith in McCoy. (I don't know why) They also are high on Gocong, but who knows what he is going to do. He will be one of the most interesting players to watch in the preseason. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that would not be what I want for a LB corp. (Mostly because of McCoy, he is too small. Its OK to be small, as long as your durable and tough, but he hasn't proven that yet.)Honestly, if the Eagles would draft a LB, I think it would be Anthony Waters, but he would be our MLB and Gaither would be our WILL. I like Gaither, I want to see him start somewhere next year. The more pressing need is safety, hopefully Griffin, but if he is gone, either trade down IF we can find someone to work with us, reach on Meriwether (I find this unlikely) or draft a DE like Charles Johnson or Lamaar Woodley or Adam Carriker. (Carriker would be my choice, but the Jets want him too.) As for safety, the only way we draft two safeties this year is if Mikell is let go. If that were to happen, we would get an early safety and a late one, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only got one even if Mikell would leave. Considine could be our FS and an early round safety like Griffin could be our SS. I like what I see out of Considine coverage-wise, so that is a little plus for me. When Dawkins retires, he will be our FS and that experiment will hopefully be a success becuase he won't have to come up to support the run as much while at FS. I still would rather have a future FS in case Considine doesn't work out there either.

I don't want to see Considine as a starter anymore, I like him a lot more in nickel situations as a 3rd safety. Maybe we can wait a year or 2 to find Dawkin's replacement. Griffin is my # 1 guy for this draft as long as Willis is gone.

ftbl88
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't want to see Considine as a starter anymore, I like him a lot more in nickel situations as a 3rd safety.

I agree with you Go_Eagles77, it would be better if the Eagles picked up another safety as a replacement before Dawkins retires. Whoever it would be would be able to learn behind him so he would have an advantage when he finally does start. I don't think Considine is that great at either safety position, but with the way the organization operates, you have to expect they will at least try Considine at his more natural spot instead of wasting his pick. It would be great if the Eagles would get another good safety, but only time will tell. We have 2-3 years to figure out how that will work out.

GDawg239
02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
everyone knows that you can only judge how well you drafted only 3 to 4 years after, so i was wondering how did the eagles do in the draft three and four years back, what would you give as a grade to each player that was drafted, like what is there grade now

cunningham06
02-10-2007, 12:28 AM
everyone knows that you can only judge how well you drafted only 3 to 4 years after, so i was wondering how did the eagles do in the draft three and four years back, what would you give as a grade to each player that was drafted, like what is there grade now

2002:
Lito Sheppard- A He is a two time pro-bowler, and is usually a top tier CB. He is inconsistent season to season, but is overall a very good player.
Michael Lewis- B He helped our team and was great for our run defense in seasons past, but is horrible in coverage. He was a good player for a few seasons
Sheldon Brown- A Excellent use of a second round pick. Sheldon was a beast in 2005 and was pretty solid in 06. He and Lito are one of the better CB tandems out there.
Brian Westbrook- A+ Fantastic pick in the third round. He has been excellent for us even though he is injury prone he is a gamebreaker, and there aren't many starting RB's who have the kind of home-run threat that he has.
Scott Peters- F didn't play a game for us.
Freddie Milons- F- Has never done anything
Tyreo Harrison- F- Also has never done anything
Raheem Brock- D Turned out to be a pretty good, too bad not for us

Overall: B+ We got great production out of our first day picks, not that much is expected out of our second day guys, so I'd give this draft a B+

2003:
Jerome McDougle- D- Hasn't made an impact for us, but may still have potential
LJ Smith- B+ Good TE and is still improving
Billy McMullen- F+ the plus is because we were able to get Hank Baskett out of picking him.
Jamaal Green- F He's not even on the team anymore, and did very little when he was.
Jeremy Bridges- C would have been a decent pick for us if we had kept him, he started for the Panthers for 14 games. In terms of how he did for the Eagles: F
rman Lejeune- F- Now on the Dolphins, he has 2 tackles in his 4 year career.

D- The only redeeming pick in this whole draft was LJ Smith. Other than that it was really horrible.

Green Kool Aid
02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I was thinking that because so many teams have ridiculous cap space, the Eagles are not going to be able to make a splash in Free Agency. Tren Cole and reggie Brown were good extensions, but extensions for players like Greg Lewis and Mike Patterson have limited cap space. Some guys may still be cut, like McDougle, G Lewis, and even Kearse, plus the loss of free agents such as Hood, Mikell, and Garcia will free up some space. The Eagles are at about 13 million, but may go as high as 15 million.

My point is that the Eagles cannot afford to resign Garcia, and possibly Stallworth. They have spent themselves out of that range. Garcia has to go, just from a cap stance, plus, it's cheaper to bring in a rookie. Resigning Stallworth is a priority, but the defense needs help! I may prefer signing a marquee defensive player over Stallworth.

Anyway, there are now two lists of potential free agent signings. One is in the event that the Eagles make some cuts. The other is if they do not. Basically, some teams have so much flow, and the Eagles have tied themselves up in long-term contracts, they will be outbid in free agency. You also have to take into account the Eagles' stubborness in refusing to upgrade certain positions (RB, LB), and their desire to extend contracts midseason.

Here are the lists:

With Cuts- High $$$ FA's
1. Adalius Thomas- prototypical SLB whose skills outweigh any age issues.

2. Lance Briggs- stick him at SLB for a year, as he's the same height as banjo boy. Then, we can move him to either MLB, where he played for Urlacher when he was hurt, or move him back to WLB, and move Gaither back to MLB. Either way, he's great, he knows the system, and he gives us options.

3. Dwight Freeney- hey, you never know. Kearse would definitely have to go.

4. Stallworth- technically a free agent soon.

5. Patrick Kerney or Justin Smith- again, Kearse has to get cut.

Without Cuts- (Cap number remains the same)

1. Dominic Rhodes- RB's aren't too expensive. He won't be as much as you think, given his recent Super Bowl bump. Someone might overpay, but that's a wait-and-see scenario. He'd be great with Westbrook too, and you need two RBs in today's league.

2. Daniel Graham- He does everything well as a TE, and he's made his money as Brady' red zone threat. Plus, he's won some rings.

I'm open to ideas.

Dillen
02-10-2007, 06:18 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with how much the Eagles can spend, but all the teams that have a lot of space also have like 15+ free agents. The Eagles only have about 5 or 6...and 21 of 22 starters are already signed.

Eaglez.Fan
02-12-2007, 02:09 PM
REID TAKING A LEAVE OF ABSENCE

The Philadelphia Eagles have released the following statement: "Philadelphia Eagles President Joe Banner today announced that Andy Reid will take a leave of absence from his duties as head coach/executive vice president of football operations in order to attend to personal matters involving his family. The leave of absence will last until approximately mid-March, 2007. At that point, Reid will return to his regular duties with the Eagles."

Reid's leave of absence undoubtedly arises from the recent legal troubles of two of his sons, both of whom are in their 20s.

Banner will meet with the media at 1:30 p.m. EST to answer any questions regarding the situation.

Speculation already has begun that the leave of absence is the first step in what could be Reid's resignation from the job. Though there's no hard evidence on which to base such a conclusion, a leave of absence is rare for any NFL coach. The only other leave of absence that we can recall since we've been following this stuff every single day involved Rams coach Mike Martz, who had a bacterial infection in his heart during the 2005 season. Martz was fired after the season ended.

GRUDEN EYEING RETURN TO PHILLY?

There's persistent talk in league circles that Bucs coach Jon Gruden is hoping to become the head coach of the Eagles if/when Andy Reid packs it in.

And given the current travails of Reid's sons, which are prompting all sorts of speculation that Reid might call it quits, Gruden's opportunity could come sooner rather than later.

But let's be clear. We're not reporting that Reid is out, or that if he's out Gruden is in. All we're saying is that the talk in league circles is that Gruden wants the job, if/when the job comes open.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

This is interesting, even though I like alot of what Reid beleives in and does, Gruden is my favorite NFL coach :P

bsaza2358
02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Um... I'm not planning on Reid leaving any time soon. He'll be back this season and will coach in Philly as long as he wants to. I'm doubting there is much legitimacy to any of this stuff.

Eaglez.Fan
02-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah at first I thaught the same but almost every site that has anything to do with the NFL has the as there biggest or newest news

Caddy
02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Chucky is still under contract anyway so it isn't like he could coach them if Reid quit now anyway

Green Kool Aid
02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Gruden would know what to do with McNabb.

Can you imagine McNabb with a running game?

I'm always saying this: The Eagles should have an offense more similar to the current Rams or Broncos, or like the Titans who went to the Superbowl.

Even the Colts learned how to run. Peyton Manning called all those run plays.

bsaza2358
02-12-2007, 03:27 PM
GKA, we agree. If the Eagles keep the balanced offense like they did in 2006-2007 with a healthy McNabb back next season, they should enjoy similar success that they did at the end of this past season.

cunningham06
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Either way we'd be set, I really like Gruden, but as it has been said before he's still under contract. Reid will be back, he's just taking some time to fix his family issues as well he should. It's a good thing that he knows how to prioritize his life, family should always come first. I just hope he can get things at home straight soon so he can get back to work.

ftbl88
02-13-2007, 07:14 AM
I actually think this is the best thing that could happen for him. He will be able to fix the problems with his family and will hopefully fix that situation. He will still be doing some work at home, so its not like he will be ignoring the team. It would have been nice if this situation never would have come up, but thats life and he is doing the best he can to deal with it. I think it is a good decision and I support it as much as I can.

GDawg239
02-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Green Kool Aid
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I was thinking that because so many teams have ridiculous cap space, the Eagles are not going to be able to make a splash in Free Agency. Tren Cole and reggie Brown were good extensions, but extensions for players like Greg Lewis and Mike Patterson have limited cap space. Some guys may still be cut, like McDougle, G Lewis, and even Kearse, plus the loss of free agents such as Hood, Mikell, and Garcia will free up some space. The Eagles are at about 13 million, but may go as high as 15 million.

Where did u see the eagles having 13 million, becuase i saw on ESPN, that they have somwhere around 5 to 3 million not 13 million, if it is 13 that would be nice but just wondering where u saw that

bsaza2358
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Salary Cap Info, as of January:

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Dillen
02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
www.geocities.com/eaglescap

Best site out there.

jblaze66
02-14-2007, 08:24 AM
www.geocities.com/eaglescap

Best site out there.
OMG thanks so much I have been looking for this link, I had it on my old comp, awesome job that guy does.

Dillen
02-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Tren Cole and reggie Brown were good extensions, but extensions for players like Greg Lewis and Mike Patterson have limited cap space.
Never really noticed it because it isnt that important, but Greg Lewis does not limit cap space at all. In his extension, there was one year where he made over $1M a year, 2004. Next year he makes 545K. After that 725K.

Michele Forbes
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Do you guys think we will keep Jevon Kearse? I hope we do, despite his big contract he was having an amazing start before he got hurt. Cole played well but is so much better in a rotation.

bsaza2358
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the board.

I think Kearse will get a chance to prove his worth in minicamps before he is cut, if at all. I think the team will restructure his deal to make a cut more palatable next season. I think he's back on the team this year as part of the rotation. We were very lucky that his injuries were not career threatening. The sprains and meniscus tears were the best hope we had.

Michele Forbes
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks and what do you think happens to Garcia? Does he stay in Philly and backup McNabb or go to Tampa, Minnesota or Houston?

cunningham06
02-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks and what do you think happens to Garcia? Does he stay in Philly and backup McNabb or go to Tampa, Minnesota or Houston?

I expect he will leave Philly, we have faith in Feeley, and with Koy Detmer we shouldn't have 4 qb's on the roster. Some teams are going to offer Garcia some good money, and I expect he will take the opportunity. I doubt he will go to any of those teams except maybe Minnesota because he doesn't want to change schemes again and Childress can tweak the offense to fit Garcia.

bsaza2358
02-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Garcia will go wherever he has the best chance to start and wherever the money is best. System is also a consideration. I don't expect him to be back with the Eagles, but that should net the team a decent extra draft pick in 2008, along with the loss of Hood, Stallworth, and Michael Lewis to FA. The 2008 draft haul should be impressive. The team already has 2 extra 4th rounders from the Hicks/Fraley trades, and the extra picks from lost FA's will also help. Not sure about the talent coming out then, but I expect there to be a bunch of OLine prospects. I'm not thinking that far ahead, but I'm guessing the 2008 draft is very deep and very talented...

Go_Eagles77
02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Garcia will go wherever he has the best chance to start and wherever the money is best. System is also a consideration. I don't expect him to be back with the Eagles, but that should net the team a decent extra draft pick in 2008, along with the loss of Hood, Stallworth, and Michael Lewis to FA. The 2008 draft haul should be impressive. The team already has 2 extra 4th rounders from the Hicks/Fraley trades, and the extra picks from lost FA's will also help. Not sure about the talent coming out then, but I expect there to be a bunch of OLine prospects. I'm not thinking that far ahead, but I'm guessing the 2008 draft is very deep and very talented...

Good points.

Eaglez.Fan
02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Donte Stallworth and Jeff Garcia are gonna be on NFL Totals Access today in an hour, just an fyi. Maybe catch a hint or two

ftbl88
02-16-2007, 08:26 AM
I agree that Garcia will be gone to either Tampa or Minnesota. Rumor is that Gruden would really like to have Garcia, but Minnesota would be a good fit for him as well. I do think that Stallworth will be back. We have enough cap space to sign him and most of our FAs, and we could also sign a cheap, run-stuffing DT if we need to. I am very confident in Donte returning next year.

bsaza2358
02-16-2007, 08:47 AM
I agree that Garcia will be gone to either Tampa or Minnesota. Rumor is that Gruden would really like to have Garcia, but Minnesota would be a good fit for him as well. I do think that Stallworth will be back. We have enough cap space to sign him and most of our FAs, and we could also sign a cheap, run-stuffing DT if we need to. I am very confident in Donte returning next year.

I think Dante will likely jump elsewhere because the money from some of these other teams will be so overwhelming that the Eagles probably cannot match it. I know he's loves the team and is offering a hometown discount, but what happens if the Jags go out with their $41mm in cap room (and only 1 starter up for FA) and offer him a $7mm a year deal? Can he walk away from that? I doubt it.

The Eagles can free up some cap room by restructuring certain contracts (McNabb, Trotter) or by cutting/trading some players (McDougle, Darwin Walker). If Stallworth doesn't come back, they still have Baskett, Avant, and Greg Lewis to team with Reggie Brown. I think we'll have a harder time replacing guys like Juqua Thomas, Quentin Mikell, and Rod Hood (surely gone to start somewhere). I don't consider Stallworth the top priority here because he can be replaced, especially if he keeps having issues with his hamstrings...

This is not to say I don't like Stallworth as an Eagle. Just that I think there are other players who should take priority over him.

Go_Eagles77
02-16-2007, 06:06 PM
This is the off-season I'm hoping for. I posted it in the EMB too and thought I would like to see what you guys thought.

Re-signed
Donte Stallworth WR - We keep our prized deep threat reciever that doubles his production from a year ago with hopefully a healthy McNabb all year.
Quintin Mikell S - An ace on Special Teams and a reliable backup at Safety.
Koy Detmer QB/H - Holder who actually makes David Akers better so is an asset to this team whether you like it or not.
Will James CB - We need a nickel corner with the loss of Rod Hood.

Don't Resign/Release- Jeff Garcia QB, Correll Buckhalter RB, Reno Mahe RB, Juqua Thomas DE, Shawn Barber LB, Roderick Hood CB, Michael Lewis S, Mike Bartrum TE/LS, Scott Young G

Free Agency
Robaire Smith DT (Ten)- Big run-stuffing DT.

The Draft
Rd.1 Patrick Willis ILB Ole Miss- An amazing athlete and a great tackler who could both start at SLB right away and take over for Trot when he's done.
Rd.2 Anthony Spencer DE Purdue- Fast , pass rushing DE who could take Juqua Thomas' role and be the starter with Trent Cole in a few years when Kearse and Howard retire/ leave through free agency.
Rd.4 John Wendling S Wyoming Underrated in coverage and could start right away at SS.
Rd.5 AJ Davis CB NC State - Underrated Corner who might be able to start at dimeback right away.
Rd.6 Nate Iloa HB Hawaii - Big short yardage back, think bowling ball.
Rd.7 Dan Santucci G Notre Dame - We need a new backup RG after.....you know.

Trades
Darwin Walker - Traded for 2008 4th round pick

Depth Chart next year at start of regular season.

Offense
QB- Donovan McNabb, AJ Feeley, Koy Detmer
HB- Brian Westbrook, Nate Iloa, Ryan Moats
FB- Thomas Tapeh
WR- Donte Stallworth, Hank Baskett, Jason Avant
WR- Reggie Brown, Greg Lewis, Jeremy Bloom
TE- LJ Smith, Matt Schobel
LT- William Thomas, Winston Justice
LG- Todd Herremanns, Max Jean-Gilles
C- Jamaal jackson, Nick Cole
RG- Shawn Andrews, Dan Santucci
RT- Jon Runyan, Winston Justice

Total-24

Defense
RE- Darren Howard, Trent Cole
DT- Robaire Smith, Brodrick Bunkley, Lajuan Ramsey
DT- Mike Patterson, Sam Rayburn
LE- Jevon Kearse, Anthony Spencer, Jerome McDougle
WLB- Omar Gaither, Matt Mccoy (Also Nickel LB), Torrance Daniels
MLB- Jeremiah Trotter, Patrick Willis, Torrance Daniels
SLB- Patrick Willis, Dhani Jones, Chris Gocong
CB- Lito Sheppard, William James, Joselio Hanson
CB- Sheldon Brown, AJ Davis
FS- Brian Dawkins, Quintin Mikell
SS- John Wendling, Sean Considine (Best as a 3rd Safety)
Note-If Trotter would get injured, Willis would become the MLB and then Dhani Jones would become the SLB.

Total- 26

Special Teams
K- David Akers
P- Saverio Rocca
LS-Jon Dorenbos

Total- 3

Rookie
Free Agent

ftbl88
02-17-2007, 08:48 AM

I think Dante will likely jump elsewhere because the money from some of these other teams will be so overwhelming that the Eagles probably cannot match it. I know he's loves the team and is offering a hometown discount, but what happens if the Jags go out with their $41mm in cap room (and only 1 starter up for FA) and offer him a $7mm a year deal? Can he walk away from that? I doubt it.

The Eagles can free up some cap room by restructuring certain contracts (McNabb, Trotter) or by cutting/trading some players (McDougle, Darwin Walker). If Stallworth doesn't come back, they still have Baskett, Avant, and Greg Lewis to team with Reggie Brown. I think we'll have a harder time replacing guys like Juqua Thomas, Quentin Mikell, and Rod Hood (surely gone to start somewhere). I don't consider Stallworth the top priority here because he can be replaced, especially if he keeps having issues with his hamstrings...

This is not to say I don't like Stallworth as an Eagle. Just that I think there are other players who should take priority over him.

Just because a team has the money to go after a certain player doesn't mean they are going to do so, just like what our organization does. But I don't think it would be the Jags that would go after Donte, it would be the Titans or 49ers(maybe). Are you saying Donte is replacable? No WR on this team has his speed or experience. I like Baskett, but I like Donte more, and I would rather have Donte as a starter than Baskett. As long as the Eagles don't lowball him and give him a reasonable offer, he will be back next year. Keep in mind that the reason he isn't re-signed yet is because he is saving the team a third round draft pick by waiting to re-sign during FA.I still strongly believe that Stallworth will be back as an Eagle next year. I agree that Juqua Thomas and Rod Hood are gone, but Mikell will not get an offer at a starting job and will be back as our special teams beast next year.

ftbl88
02-17-2007, 09:41 AM
This is the off-season I'm hoping for. I posted it in the EMB too and thought I would like to see what you guys thought.

Re-signed
Donte Stallworth WR - We keep our prized deep threat reciever that doubles his production from a year ago with hopefully a healthy McNabb all year.
Quintin Mikell S - An ace on Special Teams and a reliable backup at Safety.
Koy Detmer QB/H - Holder who actually makes David Akers better so is an asset to this team whether you like it or not.
Will James CB - We need a nickel corner with the loss of Rod Hood.

Don't Resign/Release- Jeff Garcia QB, Correll Buckhalter RB, Reno Mahe RB, Juqua Thomas DE, Shawn Barber LB, Roderick Hood CB, Michael Lewis S, Mike Bartrum TE/LS, Scott Young G

Free Agency
Robaire Smith DT (Ten)- Big run-stuffing DT.

The Draft
Rd.1 Patrick Willis ILB Ole Miss- An amazing athlete and a great tackler who could both start at SLB right away and take over for Trot when he's done.
Rd.2 Anthony Spencer DE Purdue- Fast , pass rushing DE who could take Juqua Thomas' role and be the starter with Trent Cole in a few years when Kearse and Howard retire/ leave through free agency.
Rd.4 John Wendling S Wyoming Underrated in coverage and could start right away at SS.
Rd.5 AJ Davis CB NC State - Underrated Corner who might be able to start at dimeback right away.
Rd.6 Nate Iloa HB Hawaii - Big short yardage back, think bowling ball.
Rd.7 Dan Santucci G Notre Dame - We need a new backup RG after.....you know.

Trades
Darwin Walker - Traded for 2008 4th round pick

Depth Chart next year at start of regular season.

Offense
QB- Donovan McNabb, AJ Feeley, Koy Detmer
HB- Brian Westbrook, Nate Iloa, Ryan Moats
FB- Thomas Tapeh
WR- Donte Stallworth, Hank Baskett, Jason Avant
WR- Reggie Brown, Greg Lewis, Jeremy Bloom
TE- LJ Smith, Matt Schobel
LT- William Thomas, Winston Justice
LG- Todd Herremanns, Max Jean-Gilles
C- Jamaal jackson, Nick Cole
RG- Shawn Andrews, Dan Santucci
RT- Jon Runyan, Winston Justice

Total-24

Defense
RE- Darren Howard, Trent Cole
DT- Robaire Smith, Brodrick Bunkley, Lajuan Ramsey
DT- Mike Patterson, Sam Rayburn
LE- Jevon Kearse, Anthony Spencer, Jerome McDougle
WLB- Omar Gaither, Matt Mccoy (Also Nickel LB), Torrance Daniels
MLB- Jeremiah Trotter, Patrick Willis, Torrance Daniels
SLB- Patrick Willis, Dhani Jones, Chris Gocong
CB- Lito Sheppard, William James, Joselio Hanson
CB- Sheldon Brown, AJ Davis
FS- Brian Dawkins, Quintin Mikell
SS- John Wendling, Sean Considine (Best as a 3rd Safety)
Note-If Trotter would get injured, Willis would become the MLB and then Dhani Jones would become the SLB.

Total- 26

Special Teams
K- David Akers
P- Saverio Rocca
LS-Jon Dorenbos

Total- 3

Rookie
Free Agent

I agree with all of your re-signings and the reasons. I agree with most of the releases and non-resignings except for a few. Shawn Barber, although older, is our best cover LB and the Eagles may want to keep him.(They could also let him go, so we'll see. This isn't an argument, but I think Bartrum will retire. Scott Young isn't a FA so I am assuming you have him being cut. AR will not let one of his O-linemen go, especially not a young one who he probably thinks has potential. As for Robaire Smith, I think there is a better option at DT that we could get for cheap who would be a good run-stuffer.(Robaire is big, but wasn't too good against the run at all) Ian Scott or Kendrick Allen(I think thats what his name is, but I am probably wrong) would be a good player to pick up as our run-stuffing DT. As for the draft, I would be ecstatic to get Willis, but he will probably be gone. Griffin would be a good pick, even Meriwether, as I see him shooting up draft boards after the combine. Carriker would be great, but he may be gone as well. For your scenario, I like the 2nd and 4th round picks, but I doubt Wendling get out of day one. But if Donte is re-signed in FA we only lose the 4th, not third, so that is still possible. I am a big Brian Leonard fan, so I would pick him in the 2nd or 3rd, or Anthony Waters in the 3rd. I like round five and six as 5 fills a need and if we wouldn't get Leonard Iloa is the back I want. In the 7th you got a O-linemen. A tackle would be more likely with William Thomas and John Runyan close to retirement, but we have Justice and Herremans could be moved out to tackle when the time comes. And as an Eagles fan, it is true that at one point the Eagles under AR will draft a O-linemen. I don't think Santucci though, he will probably be gone by the seventh round. I would give this draft a solid B or B+, I would be satisfied with it.
Here's mine though:
Round 1: Michael Griffin or Brandon Meriwether, Safeties. I don't need to say much about Griffin but if he is gone I could see Meriwether as a possible pick as well. Meriwether lost some draft stock with the whole brawl, but he is not like that. I would still rather have Griffin.
Round 2: Brian Leonard, FB/HB. He would be our FB. Anyone who has seen him play would love to have him on their team. I know we have other needs, but we can take care of them later. He would make our backfield the most versatile in the NFL and would secure the #1 offense in the NFL for years.
Round 3: Anthony Waters, ILB. He could be the next MLB in our system and could take over for Trotter when he retires. If it were'nt for an injury, he would be a first round pick, so he has the possibility of being a STEAL.
No Round 4
Round 5: Some big DE. I don't care who, as long as he is at least 290 lbs. Most of our DE are around 270-275 or less. Of course I care who, as long as they're good, but a run-stuffing DE in our rotation would be great to go with Kearse, Howard, and Cole.
Round 6: A CB, preferably 6' or taller. With the loss of Hood, we still need another CB. Wether James will be our new nickel or not we still need a CB.
Round 7: An OT like James Marten. He may not be here, but we could shuffel him to our round 5 or 6 pick and get a DE or CB with either of the remaining ones. He is from Boston College, and it seems like they just spit out O-linemen that are great in the NFL.
Sorry for no names, but I just didn't feel like doing too much more. This would be an ideal draft, I don't expect it to happen, it would be nice though. As for Walker, I no longer think he is worth a 4th rounder, not even one next year. But I like this off-season for the most part and would give it a B- or a B.

ftbl88
02-17-2007, 09:55 AM
If anyone "covets" Terdell Sands they are absolutely dumb. He has done absolutely nothing in his entire career. The ONLY good thing about him is that he's big.

The Raiders seemed to "covet" him just enough to give him a 4 year, 17 mil. contract. So much for us getting him, let alone cheap like a lot of you guys were hoping. I hate to say it, but I told you so. :wink:

Eaglez.Fan
02-17-2007, 10:03 AM
That looks pretty good, but if we draft Willis he will most likely start at MLB over Trotter. And I doubt Nate Iloa falls to the 6th round, I see him as a 4th round pick.

Dillen
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
The Raiders seemed to "covet" him just enough to give him a 4 year, 17 mil. contract. So much for us getting him, let alone cheap like a lot of you guys were hoping. I hate to say it, but I told you so. :wink:
They're also the Raiders, dude. The team that gave Derrick Burgess a $17M contract when all he did was prove that he is injury prone. Fortunately for them he's stayed healthy, but they don't exactly give out the best contracts.

cunningham06
02-17-2007, 11:29 AM
If anyone "covets" Terdell Sands they are absolutely dumb. He has done absolutely nothing in his entire career. The ONLY good thing about him is that he's big.

Please no gloating or smugness. The Raiders overpaid as they usually do, and he didn't really get to test the FA market, so we'll never know how much he was coveted. All we know is that the Raiders gave a player who didn't even start last season a contract larger than he deserved. As for the mock drafts, I liked the first one better, that would be an amazing draft.

boknows34
02-17-2007, 08:20 PM
OK Sands is gone and Briggs is tagged. We won't sign a FA DT and won't trade Darwin Walker to get an extra pick.

We are going to need more than 6 players to fill holes created in FA and to upgrade our backups. We'll need to replace - Stallworth, Hood, M. Lewis, & J. Thomas for sure. We'll probably have to replace Garcia and we'll probably re-sign Mikell, James, & Barber. Buckhalter will come to camp but we really need to upgrade and Mahe will come to camp and lose his job to Bloom. Also figure Gocong takes D. Jones roster spot.

So our needs are WR (replace Stallworth), CB (replace Hood), S (replace M. Lewis), DE (replace J. Thomas), and QB (either to replace Garcia or a traded Feeley if we resign Garcia) - that's 5

We also need - a big RB (replace Buck), a MLB (replace or be heir apparent to Trotter), S (even if Mikell stays Dawkins won't be here forever) - that's 3.

Another DT and an upgrade at back-up TE fit int the wish we had category - that's 2 more.

Needed 10 draft picks or FA pick-ups. how do we do that?
Trade our 1st for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th
Trade William Thomas for a 4
Trade G. Lewis for a 5

Now we have 10 picks
2 S - Brandon Meriweather, Miami
2 WR - Robert Meachem, Tennessee
3 CB - Teavaes Bain, Hampton
3 RB - Tony Hunt, Penn State
4 MLB - Desmond Bishop, California
5 TE - Ben Patrick, Delaware
5 QB - Jeff Rowe, Nevada
6 DE - Jay Moore, Nebraska
7 S - Sabby Piscatelli, Oregon State
7 LB - Rory Johnson, Mississippi

Still need a DT and a 5th wide receiver. Maybe Lujuan Ramsey could be our 5th DT and look to FA, undrafted rookies, or our own practice squad for the 5th recveiver who we never really see on the field.

That draft class plus the picks we didn't see for last yea - Bunkley, Justice, Gocong, Gilles, Bloom - could make a pretty deep roster and a solid fture.

Dillen
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Trading Tra Thomas for a 2nd day pick is one of the dumbest things the team could do.

ftbl88
02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be smug, but I was pretty confident something like that would happen. I know it is impossible to predict, but I think Terdell Sands would have gotten close to that much if he was in FA. I agree that it is the Raiders and they are known for overpaying players. They did overpay for Sands, but not by too much. I think a contract in the 13-15 mil range could have been expected if he would have made it to FA, but who really knows what would have happened.

GDawg239
02-18-2007, 12:03 AM
i dont think Meachem is going to be in the second maybe Sydeny Rice, tony Hunt might not be there that late either, i think Tyrone Moss is a good 5th or 4th pick he was good when he first started out, and really cant go to wrong with a U guy

I like the Bishop move, either him or Burgess i think from Michigan, even Waters might be there

Bad idea trading William Thomas for a 4th, why trade away G.Lewis we is a decent backup

I like the Meriweather pick i am a fan of him,

I doubt we would resign Garcia, he is looking to start, or at least battle for a starting job, i guess drafting a DT for a replacement is a good idea and a DE

ftbl88
02-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Rob 331...
There are other run-stuffing DTs we can go after in free agency, so don't give up on that yet.

Even if Donte is gone in FA, which I highly doubt, we wouldn't even think about drafting a WR on day one unless Calvin Johnson were to fall into the end of the first, and there is no way in hell that would happen.

I would be happy with the Meriwether pick, but bhaarat316 is right, Meachem will be gone, maybe as high as the 20-25 pick range in the first.

We could get a CB in the later rounds. We always seem to make something out of very little when it comes to CBs, namely Hood, who went undrafted.

Tony Hunt might be gone by the end of the third, so that pick is unlikely, I wouldn't complain at all though.

Bishop is a possible 4th rounder, but I would be happier with a guy like Anthony Waters IF he is still available, Bishop is the next best choice though.

Ben Patrick is an OK pick, but so would Matt Trannon, I could go with either, so that is OK.

We DON'T need a QB! Even is Garcia leaves, we still have a capable backup in Feely. I'm sorry, but a QB is a waste of a pick. This could be the round that we get a CB or another O-linemen.

Jay Moore will not be there in the 6th. If he was, I would pick him up though. Moore is probably around a 4th round guy with the excellent game he had at the Senior Bowl. We could possibly get a guy like Nate Iloa with this pick.

There is no way Piscatelli will last into the 7th round. This safety class is very good, and he will be gone in round 4-5.

I can't argue this pick because I don't know too much about him. I do think it is possible that we draft a LB in the later rounds so that is a good move.

I give this draft a D+ and the off-season a D. At least this was different and gave a whole new perspective though.

cunningham06
02-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I say we just force-feed Lajuan Ramsey until he's big enough to clog the middle.

ftbl88
02-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I have heard that a few teams are beginning to come around on Meriweather as a possibly #1 Safety. If both of these guys were around at around pick 15-19, would you go after either of them at all? If so, which one would you pick. I know our biggest position to fill is Safety, but our biggest problem on defense is stopping the run. Would you rather take Willis or Landry. I know some of you will say that Willis might make it down to pick 26 anyway, but I don't see it happening. But for the sake of this question assume that Willis would not be there at pick 26 anyway.(Which he won't.)

cunningham06
02-19-2007, 12:00 AM
I have heard that a few teams are beginning to come around on Meriweather as a possibly #1 Safety. If both of these guys were around at around pick 15-19, would you go after either of them at all? If so, which one would you pick. I know our biggest position to fill is Safety, but our biggest problem on defense is stopping the run. Would you rather take Willis or Landry. I know some of you will say that Willis might make it down to pick 26 anyway, but I don't see it happening. But for the sake of this question assume that Willis would not be there at pick 26 anyway.(Which he won't.)

Well for us, I would personally rather take Willis. He seems like a sure thing to me, fast strong, and great intangibles(perhaps the most important). Landry is also a great player and of course either pick would be great, but I look at it as who needs to be replaced more, Dhani Jones, or Sean Considine? Personally I believe that Dhani needs to be replaced more, and the part of our defense that needs the most work is the run game. If we have Willis and Gaither outside, we're very solid at LB.

ftbl88
02-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the input I would probably pick Willis too, but it would be a very tough pick to pass on a guy like Landry.

VTBucs
02-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Does anybody else feel as strongly as I do about the Eagles drafting a power running back? Westbrook is unbelievable, don't get me wrong, but this has become a league of running back duos. Both the Super Bowl teams (Colts and Bears) had running back combinations. Even the losing AFC/NFC Championship teams (Patriots and Saints) had running back combinations. We need someone to take a huge load off of Westbrook's shoulders. Buckhalter just doesn't cut it for me whether he's healthy or injured, even though he's injured most of the time. The two guys that immediately jump to my mind are Michael Bush and Tony Hunt. I prefer Bush because he's the bigger of the two, even though he was hurt all of last year. I think that would be an ideal situation for him to come onto a team and be the #2. The creative minds of the Eagles' coaching staff would come up with numerous ways of putting the two on the field at the same time, whether Westbrook is in the slot or they're both in the same backfield. We're blessed that we're one of the few teams that doesn't have any major needs that need to be addressed. We could go out on the field next year with the same exact team as this year, with no rookies or free agent acquisitions, and still be a contender. So with that, I'd go as far as saying the Eagles could use as high as their 2nd round pick on a guy like Bush or Hunt.

Incinerator
02-19-2007, 10:04 AM
in my opinion, the eagles have too many concerns on defense to worry about a big back on the first day. However, if they are looking for a big back, I think Nate Ilaoa out of Hawaii would be a good pick up in the 5th round. But the biggest problem to overcome will just be giving Westbrook the carries that he got when McNabb went down, and Buckhalter did well also. Because always when McNabb has been in they've expected him to do too much, with a 50/50 ratio, I could see them do just fine without a big back.

but if they do get a Ilaoa and gave Westbrook 20-25 carries a game and Ilaoa about 5, I think the Eagles would go undefeated :D

DowntownReggieBrown
02-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Does anybody else feel as strongly as I do about the Eagles drafting a power running back?

No, nobody has ever mentioned this concept before. Do you also think we need a run-stuffing DT? Perhaps you want to cut McDougle as well?

... sometimes I just can't take it anymore :evil:

ftbl88
02-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Norv Turner just accepted the job in San Diego. Donte had San Fran as a possible choice because of him, and now he's gone. Now it looks more likely that Donte will be back with one of the teams being dropped off of his list. The only question is, San Diego needs a WR, would Donte be interested in going there now? They are proven winners and Norv Turner is now the head coach.

ftbl88
02-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I would really like a big back for the Eagles. My top three are Brian Leonard, Tony Hunt and Nate Iloa. I think Leonard would be worth our 2nd round pick if he is still there because he is so much more than a big back, but Hunt would be great as well in the 3rd if he is still there. Nate Iloa would be a great pickup in the 6th round or later if the FO feels defense is a more important need in the earlier rounds. We could also pick up a big back in FA like Ron Dayne, but I would prefer either of these three to a guy like him, because all of them are good recievers out of the backfield, with Leonard and Iloa a little step ahead of Hunt.

ftbl88
02-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know if the Chargers would go after Donte? Do they have any type of cap space that would lure him away? I don't think he would go, I still think he is an Eagle next year, but this may be interesting to the rest of you guys.