PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Phillies Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bsaza2358
05-10-2007, 12:04 PM
I know not all of you Eagles fans are Phillies fans, but a lot of the other team boards have threads dedicated to other local teams. Feel free to post about the team, stupid Manuel managerial decisions, trades, etc.

bsaza2358
05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I'll be in town this weekend for Mother's Day. Taking my parents to see the Phils-Cubs game on Saturday afternoon. Can't wait to see CB Park for the first time in 2007. Kind of a crappy pitching matchup, but I'll deal with it. If Friday gets rained out, then we might get Rich Hill-Cole Hamels, which would be fantastic...

Grizzlegom
05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
CBP is a great park but one thing that sucks about it is that there is so much to see but you obviously dont want to waste your time walking around to see the stuff during the game. i would suggest going into the stadium early so u can experience the stadium fully.

bsaza2358
05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I've been there for probably a dozen games. I love the park, and I've done my walking around. Thanks for the advice, though. Very good thought for first time visitors.

bsaza2358
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Where do you guys eat when you go to CB? I LOVE the Schmidter sandwich over by the left field flag. Fantastic eat, and it could be the best bang/buck deal in the park. 2 Schmidters + 3 Yeunglings = a great first 3 innings.

Grizzlegom
05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
i usually bring my own food and tailgate since ive been there a lot so its cheaper to do that but if i do buy food i usually get ribs from Bull's BBQ. other than that, i try to go to every Dollar Dog Day and my friends and i have contests to see who can eat the most.

bsaza2358
05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Being down in DC, we only have the crappy Nats to really watch, but I go to as many Phils-Nats games as possible. I time my trips home in the spring/summer/fall to match up with the Phillies if I can.

bsaza2358
05-11-2007, 10:31 AM
HUGE pitching matchup tonight. Cole Hamels vs. Rich Hill. I wish I was attending this game, but I'm going tomorrow. I highly recommend it if you're in town.

jonbrodo17
05-13-2007, 09:34 AM
i got great season tickets and saw that Hill Vs. Cole game. I usually eat at Bulls BBQ

Jimmy
05-13-2007, 09:37 AM
2nd favorite team to the rockies because jimmy rollins = god... cool name too

bsaza2358
05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Great time at the game Saturday. Got myself 2 Schmidters. It was a good time until the rain delay, but I actually witnessed a comeback, and Myers was absolutely sick. Great stuff.

RyanLeaf#1
05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
6 runs in the 8th last night. Nice win for the Fightins

bsaza2358
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I was playing hockey and missed the actual play-by-play, but I was able to dl it from the mlb.tv site. Great hitting. Lousy pitching by Turnbow, but the Phillies had good AB's in that inning. The blossoming of Chase Utley into the clear go-to guy in that lineup is fantastic. If the team keeps winning, Howard can take his time and come back 100% healthy. At this point, I'd rather that happen.

bsaza2358
05-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Myers has been lights out since he went to the bullpen. He has been dynamite as the closer. When Gordon comes off the DL, will Myers leave, or is Gordon now the 8th inning guy?

Bigp5437
05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I really see no reason for Myers to stop his role as the closer. He's showed he can handle it so far, why not keep him there longer? Gordon can rotate or be the 8th inning guy, and if something happens with Myers, we already have an established closer that can come back and take over.

bsaza2358
05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Agree 100%. With Myers' momentum, you can't take him out of the bullpen. The team is winning, and the rotation is holding up better than expected without Myers. Stick with what works. A playoff bullpen rotation of Alfonseca/Geary/Madsen, getting to Gordon in the 8th, then Myers works fine for me.

RyanLeaf#1
05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I hear ya Ruiz with the walk off. It was sweet Larry Anderson on the radio said Ruiz is gonna end this game right now, and he hit a walkoff.

bsaza2358
05-16-2007, 10:15 AM
I need to remind myself to get on the streaming internet radio broadcasts when I'm home and the Phils are playing. I miss the announcing. Stupid Nats & O's...

eaglesalltheway
05-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I thank you all for the info. I am a big Phils fan and am going to see my first game on the 28th against the D-backs. I am going down with a couple of buddies and we want to know some of the best places to eat in the city and in the ball park. I will take note of the Schmidters and the BBQ. I can't wait. We were thinking about Chickies and Pete's and this one other place, but I can't remember it, but what would some of the others guys from Philly can tell me. By then Howard should be off of the DL and healthy. But the only thing I am worried about is when he comes back, the line-up will be changed, and it seems to be working very well now. The Phils have come up with some clutch hitting lately, and I am hoping that we will see some more of that on the 28th. It is my first game in Philly, or in any city for that matter, so I don't know what to expect. I do know it will be tons of fun though.

jonbrodo17
05-16-2007, 08:29 PM
yea, the ballpark atmosphere is great.

Chickies and Petes is very good and sometimes players go there after the games (once saw Geoff Geary)

I only hope that howard comes back healthy

Philliez01
05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Yes, having Howard back (and hopefully healthy this time) will be a great thing for them. They are surging right now but I have to admit that Greg Dobbs looks to be an excellent situational player at the least.

The bullpen, with two inexperienced (three if you count Myers) players is looking to be pretty improved. I think that if Cole and Moyer can keep up their level of play, it will hopefully catch on to everyone else (i.e. keep it up Eaton).

I can't wait to see what happens this year again!

eaglesalltheway
05-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Yes, having Howard back (and hopefully healthy this time) will be a great thing for them. They are surging right now but I have to admit that Greg Dobbs looks to be an excellent situational player at the least.

The bullpen, with two inexperienced (three if you count Myers) players is looking to be pretty improved. I think that if Cole and Moyer can keep up their level of play, it will hopefully catch on to everyone else (i.e. keep it up Eaton).

I can't wait to see what happens this year again!

This bullpen will be nasty if we can get Gordon back healthy as our 8th inning releiver. As long as he is able to keep his level of play high enough, we could have one good bullpen. In the 6th/7th, we could have Geary/Alfonseca/etc, and in the eighth have Flash and Myers could come in and close. I am a fan of Geary, and think he helps out our whole bullpen.

bsaza2358
05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Phils going for the 4 game sweep and 1 game over .500 today. 1-1 in the second inning. Traded HR's. Looks like Burrell went deep to CF. That's like him hitting to RF...

eaglesalltheway
05-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Any other places to eat that you guys would recommend? Any places to play some pool or any types of games?

Eaglez.Fan
05-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Shawn Marcum is a beast again. At one point he had 10 innings of no hitter, in a row, dating back to his last 6 IP no hit start.

Philliez01
05-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Any other places to eat that you guys would recommend? Any places to play some pool or any types of games?

Explore the ballpark to be honest with you. CBP is an amazing place to be if you are a Phillies fan; it's almost like an amusement park, there is so much to do!

I went there for college night (my sister's boyfriend got the tix) and we sat in the crowded 300 section. It was when Gordon blew the save against the Marlins and Bourn got the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. The place was electric.

I recommend starting off with a ballpark hot dog which is pretty much the required thing to do at a ballpark. I recommend Harry the Ks but one thing you have to do is a game. I liked going down Ashburn Alley and went to the place where you throw and see how fast you can go.

-------

Anyway, Adam Eaton has been very solid in back-to-back starts (if this holds up). I was almost on the "Bring Up JA Happ" bandwagon but Eaton is showing the tools that made him such a good prospect in 1996. He's also a pretty good athlete at the plate though that's not really important.

bsaza2358
05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Looks like the Phils won a very nice series this weekend. I hope they can continue this momentum and get things moving to take back some games from the Braves and Mets ASAP. The team has finished strong the last 2 seasons, but it was always too little, too late. They have to be in striking distance come June to make their move.

eaglesalltheway
05-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Explore the ballpark to be honest with you. CBP is an amazing place to be if you are a Phillies fan; it's almost like an amusement park, there is so much to do!

I went there for college night (my sister's boyfriend got the tix) and we sat in the crowded 300 section. It was when Gordon blew the save against the Marlins and Bourn got the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. The place was electric.

I recommend starting off with a ballpark hot dog which is pretty much the required thing to do at a ballpark. I recommend Harry the Ks but one thing you have to do is a game. I liked going down Ashburn Alley and went to the place where you throw and see how fast you can go.

I'll keep that in mind, and we picked a good night if we want hot dogs. We're going on Monday, and it is dollar dog night.

Creek
05-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I'll be at Dolphins Stadium thursday night for Phillies/Marlins game. I should have some sort of live report up on my blog.

Creek
05-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Sunofamuthaferickin#@%&&!!!!

Philliez01
05-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Greg Effing Dobbs

Creek
05-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I was really really upset there. Glad the Phils came back to win, but I was homicidal for a half an inning.

bsaza2358
05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Anyone local in Philly have any information about Myers' injury? I couldn't watch the game last night, and the ESPN Bottom Line said he left in the 9th.

Bigp5437
05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Strained right shoulder was the initial prognosis, he's getting/got an MRI today, should hear exactly what happened tomorrow. Hopefully it's only a strain, Myers said he didn't feel anything tear, it just felt "weird."

bsaza2358
05-25-2007, 08:31 AM
They'll probably put Myers on the DL just in case. He needs to strengthen the shoulder regardless, and he has to get his pitching motion back. I'd rather shelve him for 15 days and have him healthy.

Bigp5437
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah. I did see when he actually hurt himself last night on the news, they replayed it(not sure if they showed it on ESPN or not), and it looked pretty painful for him. But like you said, and they said he most likely will go on the DL anyway.

Grizzlegom
05-25-2007, 10:25 AM
They'll probably put Myers on the DL just in case. He needs to strengthen the shoulder regardless, and he has to get his pitching motion back. I'd rather shelve him for 15 days and have him healthy.

i agree completely. the only problem i have is...whos our closer then? alfonseca? madson? geary? i dont really trust any of them. i would much rather go for a closer-by-committee for a couple weeks than be without gordon and myers for a long period of time.

on a side note, barajas needs to go...NOW. he blew two games in a row with HORRIBLE defensive plays at the plate. i dont know if he is considered an offensive or defensive minded player but he hasnt been effective at either this year. i really didnt like this signing when it happened and i like it even less right now. i just see no reason to keep this guy on as ruiz has proven to be better than him at the plate and in the field and at this point id rather keep coste on the active roster because we already know what he can do off the bench with limited playing time. it seems like the only time barajas does anything half-decent is when he can start a couple days in a row. a decision will have to be made soon as howard is set to be activated shortly and i would much rather see us designate barajas for assignment than option coste back down. maybe we can even get lucky and someone will take barajas' contract (maybe even get a prospect?) and we wont even have to pay him.

bsaza2358
05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Many of the baseball analysts out there are saying that until Gordon and Myers get back, Alfonseca, Madsen, and Geary are going to split closing duties. It's going to be quite the trainwreck, I think. Guess we can kiss the playoffs goodbye unless we score 9 runs a game.

Philliez01
05-26-2007, 11:06 PM
No one is going to take Rod Barajas give the Phillies even a mediocre backstop in return. Barajas has had a good career by being a marginal hitter and exceptional defender but he has really proven none of that so far in his Phillies tenure. Coste hasn't really proved much outside of last year, so we will have to see if pitchers catch up to him with another season but I'd much rather have him up than Barajas.

But I think the Phillies are just waiting until Jason Jaramillo is ready, he has little bat but he's a great defender. People compare him to a poor man's Jayson Varitek for what it's worth.

jonbrodo17
05-27-2007, 06:56 AM
they could still bring up Chris Coste who was pretty good last year

Philliez01
05-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Coste is a solid contact hitter, but I am weary to see if he was a flash in the pan or not. He did have a good game in his lone start of the year, but apparently the investment in BarajASS is too much.

eaglesalltheway
05-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Coste is a solid contact hitter, but I am weary to see if he was a flash in the pan or not. He did have a good game in his lone start of the year, but apparently the investment in BarajASS is too much.

I must say his signing was a head scratcher, as I liked Coste and Ruiz a lot. But what I have heard is Barajas is one who can handle pitchers and batters really well, and he has tons of experience, so that may be a reason the Phils signed him. Its not like we payed him big money either, but I still wish we would have kept Coste in the majors, he was a favorite of mine last year.

eaglesalltheway
05-27-2007, 08:30 PM
No one is going to take Rod Barajas give the Phillies even a mediocre backstop in return. Barajas has had a good career by being a marginal hitter and exceptional defender but he has really proven none of that so far in his Phillies tenure. Coste hasn't really proved much outside of last year, so we will have to see if pitchers catch up to him with another season but I'd much rather have him up than Barajas.

But I think the Phillies are just waiting until Jason Jaramillo is ready, he has little bat but he's a great defender. People compare him to a poor man's Jayson Varitek for what it's worth.

I like what we have gotten out of Ruiz, and think that Jaramillo has the capability to be a good catcher for the Phils. Anyone know how long the contract for Barajas was? If it was short, it would make a little more sense that a long one, considering what we have at catcher throughout the organization.

eaglesalltheway
05-27-2007, 08:33 PM
SWEEP! We are gaining ground on the Braves, now only if the Mets could lose a few and the Phils keep up this pace. It seems as if Howard is back and most importantly, healthy. Two dingers really makes me happy. The whole lineup did well today. Lets just hope they save some runs for tomorrow, I want to see the Phils win for my first Phils game in person.

bsaza2358
05-27-2007, 11:36 PM
The Braves were playing over their heads for much of this year. The Phils got hot at the right point and hit the Braves at the right time. Good wins this weekend, but it was a long time coming. Glad Howard is back and on track. The lineup is looking awesome.

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2007, 07:50 AM
With Howard back in the lineup, it just seems more complete, and you don't even need to look at production, you just know it will be better.

Grizzlegom
05-28-2007, 08:20 AM
with the lineup finally coming together and back on track, lets just hope that bullpen can hold up for us.

Philliez01
05-28-2007, 10:17 AM
I like what we have gotten out of Ruiz, and think that Jaramillo has the capability to be a good catcher for the Phils. Anyone know how long the contract for Barajas was? If it was short, it would make a little more sense that a long one, considering what we have at catcher throughout the organization.

I believe it was a short-term deal, one or two years.

I too am impressed with Carlos Ruiz. He has blossomed as a legitimate threat batting and has done a good job behind the plate. Jaramillo just needs to slightly improve his hitting to a .255ish clip and then we'll see him in the Majors in no time. He's really the only player in AAA (sans maybe Happ and Segovia) that is a legitimate prospect. All the Drabeks, Carrascos, Cardenas, D'Arby Meyers, Golsons, etc. are down in A ball.

bsaza2358
05-29-2007, 08:57 AM
The Phillies are woefully bankrupt in terms of AAA talent. They have a bunch of A/AA prospects, but these guys need to develop. If there is a rash of injuries, they don't have much ammo to make a big trade, and there is no one really in the minors who can step in and play. This is a big problem, but given the homegrown talent (Howard, Utley, Rollins, Burrell, Victorino, Bourn, Ruiz, Hamels, Myers, Geary, and Madsen), I guess it's still okay for them to have a bit of a gap.

bsaza2358
05-29-2007, 08:57 AM
I do have high hopes for Scott Mathiesen, though. If you recall, he was another solid prospect who had Tommy John surgery last year. He should be back throwing next season, but he could step in. Baseball America is touting Mathiesen as a potential closer of the future if the team decides to switch Myers back to starting.

bsaza2358
05-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Any update from the local Philly media about Myers' condition? Shoulder strain and unreleased MRI results are not really enough to satisfy me right now.

eaglesalltheway
06-04-2007, 01:14 PM
As long as we can keep most of our roster together, I think the Phils are legitimate contenders for the next few years, especially if we can get some of these A and AA prospects up in the majors.

bsaza2358
06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
The Phillies' farm system is pretty dry right now. Most of the top prospects of the past few years are up in the majors right now. Howard, Rollins, Utley, Ruiz, Hamels, Myers, Madsen, Geary, Bourn, Burrell, and Victorino are home-grown. That's incredible. Right now, there are no real helpers on the horizon. Carlos Carrasco is doing well in AA, but he needs a full year there. When he rehabs from Tommy John surgery, Scott Mathiesen could be a solid starter or bullpen arm. Baseball America projects Mathiesen as a potential closer of the future.

jonbrodo17
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
The Phillies farm system is one of the worst in the league don't quote me on this but I think at the beginning of may, they only had like 1 HR in the whole system, its probably not that bad but it was pretty sad

Philliez01
06-04-2007, 04:54 PM
I like the idea of Maths in the 'pen as a closer, hard thrower with some filthy breaking pitches. It'd work.

The farm system is incredibly dry. Carrasco is doing well but is going through some inconsistency woes though he's VERY young so he has all the time in the world (not really) to make it through the Minors. Drabek is the same (only at Lakewood, instead of high-A Clearwater) but I think we can wait on him as well. After those two, there's no real top prospects to be considered.

Greg Golson (1st overall in 2004) is a great athlete who possesses good power and excellent speed but he strikes out way too much and I believe he only has around 15 walks as of now in Clearwater. He'll be in AA-Reading by the end of the season, but he's got to cut down the Ks. He's still young enough (21) for the light to turn on.

Mike Costanzo (2nd Rounder in 2005) has a good amount of power to him (I believe 10 HRs in AA) but he is worse than Golson when it comes to not getting K'ed. He also makes way too many errors and I believe the organization gave up on him in terms of being the 3B of the Future. Excellent power, but he's like Russell Branyan in AA right now. K or HR.

JA Happ, Zack Segovia and Matt Maloney are probably #4-#5 guys at best.

bsaza2358
06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
The Phillies farm system is one of the worst in the league don't quote me on this but I think at the beginning of may, they only had like 1 HR in the whole system, its probably not that bad but it was pretty sad

They have absolutely no hitting above High-A ball. Their guys in AA and AAA are overmatched and only have jobs because no one else is ready to push them. I think the highest rated hitter in the system above A-ball is Jason Jamarillo, who is a AA catcher (I think). There are some good young players in A-ball, but they have to take time to develop.

bsaza2358
06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Golsen is a bust IMO. He's had 3 years to prove something, and he can't make it to AA. The guy has all-world tools, but he has no idea how to use them. I'd love to get rid of him in some sort of deal, just so I don't have to keep hearing about him.

bsaza2358
06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Part of the problem with the farm system is that the Phils were signing lots of FA's in the last few years, so they lost out on first round and sandwich picks. They missed out on being able to replace their prospects via the draft. Right now, last year's draft is looking pretty decent. Drabek has potential and pedigree, but Cardenas is doing fantastic.

Philliez01
06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Part of the problem with the farm system is that the Phils were signing lots of FA's in the last few years, so they lost out on first round and sandwich picks. They missed out on being able to replace their prospects via the draft. Right now, last year's draft is looking pretty decent. Drabek has potential and pedigree, but Cardenas is doing fantastic.

Good points there and I completely forgot about Adrien Cardenas! He's obviously not going to be the 2B for the future as of right now, I do think he can be a 3B though but apparently the org. doesn't think so or they wouldn't have explicitly mentioned that they needed a 3B.

I still hold out hope for Golson, I met him at a Lakewood game last year and he's a good guy. He really needs to develop an eye though at 21, it's probably a pipe dream.

I think Costanzo was a bigger bust personally. Also Jaramillo is in AAA.

bsaza2358
06-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Cardenas will probably win Minor League ROY. He is a future stud, but he doesn't have the range to play SS in the majors (and replace Jimmy), and they're also thinking he doesn't have the range to really play 3B. He's kind of a solid 2B type in the mold of Utley, but he's 19.

bsaza2358
06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
It's hard to consider Costanzo a bust because he wasn't a first round pick. He still has a chance to rebound, but he's clearly overmatched at this level. I have hopes for that kid, but I'm not counting on him. I'm more interested in maybe getting Joe Crede from the White Sox.

Philliez01
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Cardenas will probably win Minor League ROY. He is a future stud, but he doesn't have the range to play SS in the majors (and replace Jimmy), and they're also thinking he doesn't have the range to really play 3B. He's kind of a solid 2B type in the mold of Utley, but he's 19.

Yeah, I believe we have Utley signed until he's 34ish but we won't know what happens then. I love Cardenas, I really can't think of another RoY other than him. He gets the Owens award.

Costanzo is a bust in my eyes, though I see why you can't consider him that as he was indeed a 2nd-rounder. But the organization loved his power but we are seeing the equivalent of Pat Burrell (now, not the old Burrell) in AA.

Golson by the way was 0-5 with 4 Ks last night. Blech.

I was thinking that the Phillies would go OF this year especially Michael Burgess but given their track record with HS OFs, I doubt it. I would love to see Detwiler, but I think it's time they go to the college ranks here.

I have heard rumors that due to signability, Wieters could fall but that would be a mammoth drop. Jered Weaver had a drop like that and I believe he went 14th?

bsaza2358
06-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Cardenas is one of those guys who gets developed and promoted if we trade Utley or moved in a deadline deal in about 2 years. He has the makings of a future Utley, but he has similar defensive issues to Chase (limited range, weakish arm). He looks really good for 19, but he is at least 2 years away from the majors.

bsaza2358
06-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Constanzo is still only 24, and he has a chance to rebound. Power is nice, but he needs AB's to develop. Obviously, the leap from High-A to AA hasn't been kind to him, but he needed that challenge. I expect him to play every day at AA this year. If he can get some stuff together and work the strike zone better, I think he has a chance. Overall, I'm not sure he has the overall skill set to be a major leaguer. Given the fact that he was a second rounder, it's disappointing, but he might have been overhyped before this season anyway.

bsaza2358
06-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Great job by the Phils sweeping the White Sox. Won 7 of 9 and are only 2 back of the division lead and 1 back of the Braves.

Philliez01
06-16-2007, 03:22 PM
went to the Blueclaws game last night with two friends, fun road trip on a Friday Night. We were so pumped to see Kyle Drabek, Billy Rowell (went to school close to us) and Adrian Cardenas. That was the main point of this but we go there and received Rowell's autograph. Then Drabek starts to pitch gives up a double (I believe) and then the shortstop Fidel Hernandez boots a double play ball then proceeds to underthrow Kevin Howard at 1B. He committed another error that inning, so essentially 3 errors in one inning. He's god awful.

Drabek left after facing three batters, it kind of ruined part of the day as we looked forward to seeing him pitch but I am wondering what exactly happened. I didn't see him clutching his elbow or limping, but I guess someone can update me on that.

There were some good tibits in the win last night.

1)-Adrien Cardenas is a stud and three quarters. He had a great double to left field (off the Toyota sign) that drove in two and he eventually scored on Howard's sac fly. He also hit the game-winning single that was a good piece of clutch hitting. I believe he nearly went yard with a deep fly to dead center but it was tracked down. He is simply an amazing player and really stood out amongst everyone else.

2)-Concepcion may have a future (maybe not in the Bigs but I think he'll be something to keep an eye on) as he had (on my count) 10 Ks last night in 5 innings of relief. He hit between 91-95 on his fastball and from our seats (Row 3, 3B side) looked like a change, curve and perhaps a slider. He went through batters like clockwork and I want to see him again to get an accurate analysis of him.

3)-Kevin Howard appears to be able to make contact most of the time. He has 0 HRs and 26 RBIs but he's about 25-26 so I don't expect much more than Reading for him. Not a terrible player, but a bit too old.

4)-CJ Henry, 5 ABs, 5 Ks. It's reaching the end.

5)-Rowell is a very big dude. I think the 3 of us and an older man got his autograph and that was it. I expected a lot of people to be around him but it was kind of strange that just 4 people lined up. He'll be something special soon. Too bad he's an Oriole.

bsaza2358
06-29-2007, 12:34 PM
HUGE series this weekend against the Mets. First game of the doubleheader starts pretty much right now, and we get 4 against them this weekend at home. Worst case, we need a split of this series, but I'm hoping for 3-1. If we get the 3-1 win, it's basically a divisional tie, and the team will be 6 games over .500.

M.O.T.H.
06-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm rooting for you guys.....

bsaza2358
06-29-2007, 12:43 PM
I think that's just selfish because you think the Braves will outplay the Phillies down the stretch. I bet you think the Phillies are easier to catch than the Mets...

M.O.T.H.
06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I think that's just selfish because you think the Braves will outplay the Phillies down the stretch. I bet you think the Phillies are easier to catch than the Mets...

No, why wouldnt i root for you? The Mets are currently in first...it only makes sense. Plus, I hate the Mets.

princefielder28
07-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Phillies fan interested???
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11220

bsaza2358
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Now 10,000 losses for the Phillies franchise in all of its years in existence. I suppose it was an inevitability, but it really is a sad state of affairs.

Black Majic
07-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Big loss, Chase Utley. When the news came out the only thing i was glad about was Eagles training camp starts tomorrow. I'm sure plenty of people feel the same way

bsaza2358
07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
This Phils team has gone through a ton of injuries this year, and they're still in the hunt. Myers is coming back in a week or so, and Gordon is already back. The pitching is doing decently, and the team still has bats. They need to hold down the fort until Utley gets back. Plain and simple. They can't let down and give up. It's a big loss, but they have to play on.

RyanLeaf#1
07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Im not an Eagles fan, but I had to come here to discuss the Phillies. WOW only 1 game out of the wild card. Im happy it didnt take them until mid September to get this close. Hopefully they can keep playing the way they've been, and they can make the post season.

bsaza2358
07-31-2007, 09:04 AM
With the injuries to Bourn and Victorino (plus Werth on the DL), the Phillies are in trouble OF-wise. Dobbs was almost a nightmare in RF last night. I don't think there's anyone ready to step in in the OF. Very uncool.

Black Majic
07-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Hopefully Bourn isnt hurt to bad. Whose the wise guy that drew up the plans for this stadium. Wow, i wasnt to happy with the Kyle Lohse addition. As a fantasy baseball player i've followed him often and nobody picks him up. He had two good years about ten years ago. I'm going to be screaming the first time he gets lit up. but im praying he doesnt. Nice addition to 2nd base. now only if he can move over to third when Chase comes back we'll finally have a complete infield. Havent had a quality 3b since scott rolen

Philliez01
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
With the injuries to Bourn and Victorino (plus Werth on the DL), the Phillies are in trouble OF-wise. Dobbs was almost a nightmare in RF last night. I don't think there's anyone ready to step in in the OF. Very uncool.

Javon Moran is about it, as Greg Golson sure as hell isn't ready...if he'll ever be ready. Werthless is the only option, unless they want to bring up Chris Roberson again.

bsaza2358
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
I would guess Roberson will be the guy for the time being. Werth isn't great, but he's a body and can field the position. It looked to me like Bourn sprained both ankles. This is not good at all. Victorino's calf muscle pull isn't good either. Both injuries are treatable and will improve with rest. Not good.

Creek
07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
I wish we would have made a trade for an OF today. We got Mateo, which is good because our usual pitcher with a history of domestic violence is on the DL. Werth's gone 1-10 in his Class-A rehab stint thus far. Not good. Losing Victorino & Utley in the same week... We've been overcoming injuries all year, but these two might be too much. Losing out MVP and our sparkplug. AND the sparkplug's backup.

Philliez01
07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, here's what happened in Phillie-land.

1)-Mateo acquired for Jesus Merchan. Merchan was not much of a prospect, he was quite old for AA, so it's no real loss. Mateo was sent immediately down to AA-Reading as I believe he can't go to Ottawa; as he's not allowed out of the country.(?)

2)-Bourn and Victorino placed on 15-Day DL. ****. Chris Roberson called up. ****. Jayson Werth to be activated. ****. Greg Dobbs to start in RF? I like Dobbs bat but....****.

3)-Condrey waived outright to make room for Lohse.

So basically the Phils are 2 men short (1 bench/1 pitcher). So with Eaton on the mound, he better bring his stuff tonight.

bsaza2358
08-01-2007, 08:47 AM
There were no real OF's available that could be had on the cheap. It's also kind of dumb to make a desperation move now and lose prospects for a guy who won't see the light of day once Victorino and Bourn come back.

bsaza2358
08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Eaton did not bring his stuff last night. I didn't expect a sweep of the Cubs in Wrigley, but a 3-1 series win would be nice. At this point, I'm praying for a split...

luckyjackaubrey
08-01-2007, 09:08 AM
You guys may be in the running to sign Bobby Keilty - outrighted by the A's last week. The Red Sox are looking at him as a bench option but he may get more AB's with the Phils ie more chance to showcase himself for next year. He is a switch hitter with decent defence, able to play all 3 spots and has postseason experience... pickings are slim...

bsaza2358
08-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Kielty is pretty terrible at the plate. Is it worth it to sign a guy who will not be of use in 2-3 weeks when we have Werth, Victorino, and Bourn back and playing? I'm not sure.

RyanLeaf#1
08-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I feel that everytime the Marlins come to town they crush the Phillies. I hate that... they better take 2 of 3

bsaza2358
08-07-2007, 09:56 AM
This is a key series for the Phillies. The Braves and Mets aren't losing many games. The team just has to knuckle down and play ball. A sweep of the Marlins puts them solidly back in the hunt.

RyanLeaf#1
08-07-2007, 10:07 AM
This is a key series for the Phillies. The Braves and Mets aren't losing many games. The team just has to knuckle down and play ball. A sweep of the Marlins puts them solidly back in the hunt.

If they sweep the Marlins it would definitely be huge. Hopefully Burrell can stay hot.

bsaza2358
08-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Burrell looks to be falling off a little, which can be expected. What the Phillies need is to get healthy, then get Howard's mojo working again. Burrell should be a peripheral part of the offense.

RyanLeaf#1
08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
For some reason I have always been a Burrell fan. I dont know why, but I think if he stays hot and if Howard can stop messing around the Phillies have a good shot of sneaking in. But if Howard keeps f'n up there is no chance.

bsaza2358
08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I have always liked what Burrell had the potential to become, but he has never done that for me. This stretch now is very much out of the ordinary. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm happy he's helping to carry the team. We need more out of Wes Helms and Ruiz if this team is going to have a real chance. The bottom of the order has been killing us at times.

RyanLeaf#1
08-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Going 4-2 over the next 6 games is key. We have to take 2 of 3 from the Braves.

bsaza2358
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd settle for 4-2 over the next 6, especially with the Braves and Mets playing each other starting today.

RyanLeaf#1
08-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Great win for the Phils last night. Moyer pitched awesome. Sad to see Burrells hit streak go out with window.

bsaza2358
08-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Looked to be a solid win from what I read. I wish the team would have saved its runs for the rest of the series. As we have agreed, minimum of 4-2 over these 6 games is paramount. Obviously, I'd prefer 6-0, but I'd settle for 4-2.

RyanLeaf#1
08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Looked to be a solid win from what I read. I wish the team would have saved its runs for the rest of the series. As we have agreed, minimum of 4-2 over these 6 games is paramount. Obviously, I'd prefer 6-0, but I'd settle for 4-2.

Yea I watched the whole game. You can just tell from watching the players body speech that they are into it, and want to make the playoffs. Everyone is real into the game. It would be great if the Braves swept the Mets and we swept the Marlins.

RyanLeaf#1
08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Not bad winning the first 2

bsaza2358
08-09-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm very happy with the Braves taking 2 of 3 from the Mets and the Phillies sweeping the Marlins. Gain 2 on the Mets and 1 on the Braves. Pretty much ideal.

RyanLeaf#1
08-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Phillies really need this win tonight. Braves took 2. We can gain and be 3 back after tonight.

bsaza2358
08-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Just have to keep winning. That's all that really matters at this juncture.

RyanLeaf#1
08-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Big win against the Braves 1GB from the wildcard and 3 back from the Mets. Hamels is the man. Ruff firsy inning but after that he was dealing.

RyanLeaf#1
08-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Tough loss last night. Need a win tonight.

RyanLeaf#1
08-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Just what we wanted 4 out of 6

bsaza2358
08-13-2007, 08:33 AM
As I said, 4 of 6 was an acceptable result, but it would have been better if they could have swept the Marlins. Can't fault the team for "only" a series win against Atlanta.

RyanLeaf#1
08-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Bsaza did you watch the game last night?

RyanLeaf#1
08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
The reason why I asked you if you watched Sundays game was to see if you seen Alfonseco dancing after he struck 2 players out it was hilarious. He was doing it on the mound...

bsaza2358
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I did watch Sunday's game. I saw the dance, and it was pretty dang silly. I liked his enthusiasm and the fact that he came up clutch, though.

bsaza2358
08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Significant series this week against the Nationals. The Phillies have to win at least 2 of 3 this week against a mediocre team on the road. Have to keep the pressure on the Braves and Mets.

RyanLeaf#1
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I did watch Sunday's game. I saw the dance, and it was pretty dang silly. I liked his enthusiasm and the fact that he came up clutch, though.

I was cracking up when I was watching but like you said I loved his enthusiasm. But I agree they must take 2 of 3, but this is the type of series where the Phillies become the Phillies and get swept. But I hop not. I hope they sweep the Nats, and gain some ground.

bsaza2358
08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I would hope that they can sweep the Nats, but I wouldn't guarantee a thing. I have my company's tickets to tomorrow night's game. 5th row off the Nats' dugout. Hoowah.

RyanLeaf#1
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
I would hope that they can sweep the Nats, but I wouldn't guarantee a thing. I have my company's tickets to tomorrow night's game. 5th row off the Nats' dugout. Hoowah.

Thats awesome.

RyanLeaf#1
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Russell Branyan baby!!!!!!!!!!! That was awesome how he staired at it.

bsaza2358
08-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Phils got extremely lucky to win last night. Tonight should be easier because Tim Redding is starting. That guy is pretty terrible.

RyanLeaf#1
08-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Phils got extremely lucky to win last night. Tonight should be easier because Tim Redding is starting. That guy is pretty terrible.

Did you see Branyan do the walk and drop the bat lol?

bsaza2358
08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I did see it. When the Phils play the Nats, I can actually watch the games, which is fantastic. Comcast doesn't allow the Phils to have many games on the MLB Extra Innings package, so out of towners have a tough time watching .

RyanLeaf#1
08-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Its awesome you got to see it, but the thing that sucks about that you didnt hear Harry K's call on it.

bsaza2358
08-15-2007, 11:26 AM
That is very true. I'm sure I can find it on Youtube, though.

RyanLeaf#1
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
That is very true. I'm sure I can find it on Youtube, though.

If you do please post the link. Im in work and it doesnt allow me to get on youtube in here, but ill definitely watch it when I get home. Its on Phillies.com but you dont hear Harry K.

bsaza2358
08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Just ran a search, and there aren't any videos posted. Oh well. There are worse tragedies in this world.

Philliez01
08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
http://phuturephillies.com/2007/08/15/phillies-sign-julian-sampson/

Excellent news! Sampson is a 2nd-round talent that the Marti, Arbuckle and Gillick got in the 12th. Most thought he would just go to college instead, thats's why he slipped.

Now if they can get Brandon Workman; then this draft looks great.

bsaza2358
08-15-2007, 02:01 PM
If they can get Workman, the draft is acceptable. As you can read on that site, the Phils went for signability and cost savings on a lot of these picks.

Philliez01
08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
If they can get Workman, the draft is acceptable. As you can read on that site, the Phils went for signability and cost savings on a lot of these picks.

I would call it a notch above acceptable at least. They definitely replenished the pitching depth of the farm system in this draft and there are guys that could be worth watching.

Nathaniel Jiwan James was a Florida WR recruit before deciding to go pro. He's in the GCL now, so isn't very projectable but he's going through the typical nuiances of a kid who just started focusing on pitching.

Jakob Diekman is one of my favorite prospects in the system. He is a bit old for the GCL, if memory serves correct, but I think he could start out next season at Lakewood with a Clearwater cameo.

Julian Sampson may be a steal. He's got what you want, young, projectable and already a plus breaking pitch according to Callis (I think it was Callis?). If he can get some movement on his fastball, watch out.

Carlos Moncrief won't sign. The rumor is Workman DEFINITELY won't sign, but there's still time for an about face. Both parties know what it's going to take to bring him in, but let's see first.

Mike Adzick is the one that may sign and he's worth getting excited about. He's almost similar to Cole Hamels IN A WAY when he came out. Lanky, LHP with a moderate fastball and a good looking change. Instead of Cole's split change so to speak, Adzick has less dive but it should be good when he matures. He's also local and there were talks of a possible signing soon.

Then there's Joustin' Joe Savery. I hated the draft pick, it just shows that the team is cheap and Giles/Montgomery/Gillick didn't want to be "reprimanded?" by the Commish. But, I am holding out on Savery. I mean, he was a potential top-10 pick at one point and he'll be focusing full-time on pitching. I'm worried about the 'cuff injury as it didn't happen in a bar fight or football game (Hamels), it was pitching related.

Positional-wise?

d'Arnaud has some hype around him. A good athlete behind the plate, solid bat (with some pop) and was a nice Comp. pick.

Mattair has promise at 3B, but I hope not to see another Kiel Fisher. Tyler Mach, a cheap pick BUT he has shown promise at Williamsport batting in the .330 range. But with Cardenas at 2B as well as that Utley guy, his ML future is still questionable. As well as him coming back to Earth.

I like Rizzotti and Michael Taylor's power but I only see Rizzotti having future success.

Also signed Ced Johnson; who I believe has had ACL problems. Still a potential steal.

bsaza2358
08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
d'Arnaud was a cheapo pick. I don't think his upside really matches his draft status. I wanted to see a guy like Jeff Smoker there. He has better upside than Savery as a HSer. The team didn't want to spend $1mm to get him. I don't see d'Aurnaud as a legit prospect with true MLB potential

I am a huge fan of Sampson and Workman (if we can sign him). Mattair is very, very solid.

I see a lot of Hamels in Savery. He is doing well and was probably the best value in terms of high ceiling talent at that pick.

Philliez01
08-15-2007, 03:10 PM
d'Arnaud was a cheapo pick. I don't think his upside really matches his draft status. I wanted to see a guy like Jeff Smoker there. He has better upside than Savery as a HSer. The team didn't want to spend $1mm to get him. I don't see d'Aurnaud as a legit prospect with true MLB potential

I am a huge fan of Sampson and Workman (if we can sign him). Mattair is very, very solid.

I see a lot of Hamels in Savery. He is doing well and was probably the best value in terms of high ceiling talent at that pick.

I wanted to see Smoker at 18 or wherever the Phils had, lol. d'Arnaud is apparently legit from what I've read, granted not great sources. I know he was rated low but he has some good qualities, though it is conceiving that he was the first, or one of the first, sandwich picks to sign.

I loved both Sampson and Workman as well, and Mattair/Rizzotti are my favorite positional guys. Savery may be worth something, if he is like his former self; I'm reading to join the bandwagon. If he can make Clearwater out of ST; then he should be fun to watch.

bsaza2358
08-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I could easily be wrong about these guys, but I have opinions based on what I've read. I don't think d'Aurnaud has the upside to be a legit sandwich pick. Savery is really doing well from what I can tell. I'm really high on Mattair as a potential 3B of the future. Sampson and Workman are excellent Mike Arbuckle-style picks.

bsaza2358
08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Bad day for the Phils yesterday. Didn't sign Workman to a deal and lost a painfully bad game to the Nats and Tim Redding.

RyanLeaf#1
08-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Bad day for the Phils yesterday. Didn't sign Workman to a deal and lost a painfully bad game to the Nats and Tim Redding.

That game was terrible. I know you were at the game. Did you see the guy dressed like a trojan wearing the Phillies cape? They showed him on tv I was like wow that guy is making Philly look real bad right now.

bsaza2358
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I did not see that guy, but it was terrible in general. Nats fans are idiots and really don't know the game. Makes sense because most of them are lazy Orioles fans.

Philliez01
08-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Bad game all around. Howard with the Dobbs-like brainfart and Kendrick at least kept it close. Redding isn't doing too bad this year though but really, these are the games that could bite you in the ass later on.

RyanLeaf#1
08-16-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a bad feeling about tonight too. Hanrahan has been pitching well. Hopefully Hames can get some EARLY run support something the Phillies didnt give their pitchers in the first 2 games.

bsaza2358
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Hamels is the stopper. He has to win this game to keep the Phils close. I know he can come through with some clutch pitching. My main worry is the hitting. The Phillies are way too predictable right now and aren't being patient enough. They weren't working walks and getting into the Nats bullpen. These kinds of things have to happen if they want to really be contenders.

RyanLeaf#1
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Hamels is the stopper. He has to win this game to keep the Phils close. I know he can come through with some clutch pitching. My main worry is the hitting. The Phillies are way too predictable right now and aren't being patient enough. They weren't working walks and getting into the Nats bullpen. These kinds of things have to happen if they want to really be contenders.

I still dont understand how some people walk on 4 pitches then the next batter gets up and swings at the first ball in the dirt. That bugs the sh*t outta me.

bsaza2358
08-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I guess you have to blame Milt Thompson, who is the hitting coach. Either he's not getting through to the guys, or they're not listening. Against a team like the Nats, you're not going to get too many HR's, and you need to get into the bullpen early. Easiest way to do that is to grind out AB's. I think Kendrick had some of the better AB's against Redding last night. That just plain sucks.

RyanLeaf#1
08-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Big win for the Phils. Hamels is a beast. Ruiz also with a great game.

RyanLeaf#1
08-18-2007, 05:19 AM
First place wild card baby!!!!!!!

RyanLeaf#1
08-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Tough loss last night, but the Padres lost so we are still in first place for the wild card.

eaglesalltheway
08-19-2007, 09:24 AM
We're still tied for first, we don't have it outright, but it still is better to be leading than following.

RyanLeaf#1
08-19-2007, 10:41 PM
4-0 going into the 7th and they blow it. They stink. Howard has sucked for the last month.

bsaza2358
08-20-2007, 11:20 AM
That pissed me off to no end. Sucks suck sucks. I'm not giving up, but the Phils really needed that series to make up ground and keep the pressure on. I don't want to settle for the WC...

Philliez01
08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
4-0 going into the 7th and they blow it. They stink. Howard has sucked for the last month.

I know, the city that was so quick to jump on Burrell is staying away from Howard. He's been terrible on the field and in the batter's box for the past month or so. He isn't going the opposite way nearly as much and is looking like a Richie Sexson or Adam Dunn. K, BB or HR.

bsaza2358
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, unlike Burrell, Howard has a history of clutch production and has legitimate awards on his shelf... I am surprised he's still getting a free pass, though.

RyanLeaf#1
08-20-2007, 12:54 PM
I made a bet with a guy in work before the season started that Burrell would have a better batting average then Howard at the end of the season. As of right now im 8 points up, but there is alot of time left. Howard is killing us right now. Absolutely killing us.

jonbrodo17
08-20-2007, 02:26 PM
what we really need is for Utley to come back and then move Iguchi to 3rd, (if he can, does anyone know if he can play 3rd) then we'll be fine

bsaza2358
08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
No one knows for sure if Iguchi can play that position. He was a SS in Japan, but he has been a 2B in the MLB. I'm not necessarily sure that Iguchi's offense/defense balance will be any better for the Phillies than their current arrangement.

RyanLeaf#1
08-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Put Iguchi at first and bench Howard

Philliez01
08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, unlike Burrell, Howard has a history of clutch production and has legitimate awards on his shelf... I am surprised he's still getting a free pass, though.

Yeah, yeah MVP awards ;)

Anyway, still I'm not asking for a JD Drew-esque boo; just at least a slight chorus. Maybe it'll light a fire under him. I still love having the big man on the team, but he's been borderline pathetic.

I remember reading something about Iguchi having a VERY weak arm. Not that it's naturally weak, just it's "shot". Realistically Utley could play 1st again if you were going to do that. But it won't happen.

RyanLeaf#1
08-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, yeah MVP awards ;)

Anyway, still I'm not asking for a JD Drew-esque boo; just at least a slight chorus. Maybe it'll light a fire under him. I still love having the big man on the team, but he's been borderline pathetic.

I remember reading something about Iguchi having a VERY weak arm. Not that it's naturally weak, just it's "shot". Realistically Utley could play 1st again if you were going to do that. But it won't happen.

It should happen though. Admit it he should be benched for a series.

eaglesalltheway
08-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Give Ryan Howard a break. Literally and figuratively. One or two games, but not a whole series. He is too valuable to sit out a series if he is completely healthy, even if he is in a slump. He can hit a home run at any moment, one which could win a game for the Phils, and you don't want to go too long without that. I know his production has been down lately, but come on, he was bound to cool down after the late June-July that he had. As for the accusation that he is not hitting the ball to the opposite feild, the majority of his last home runs have been to left or left center. Wait until Utley comes back, it may take a game or two, but I think Burrell and Howard will have better numbers hitting-wise than they have had recently. Rowand had been struggling up until recently, but I think his numbers will improve as well. Utley takes a lot of pressure off of the rest of the line-up. I think Iguchi has the feilding ability to play third base, he has great reflexes and has a good glove. I don't know about his arm strength, but I haven't seen anything that would say he can't play third.

RyanLeaf#1
08-21-2007, 09:04 AM
The Phillies should absolutely tear Tomko a new A$$ tonight. He is 2-10 with a 5.67 ERA. But its the Phillies these are the games they usually lose. But with the rain they probably wont even get this game in.

Philliez01
08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Give Ryan Howard a break. Literally and figuratively. One or two games, but not a whole series. He is too valuable to sit out a series if he is completely healthy, even if he is in a slump. He can hit a home run at any moment, one which could win a game for the Phils, and you don't want to go too long without that. I know his production has been down lately, but come on, he was bound to cool down after the late June-July that he had. As for the accusation that he is not hitting the ball to the opposite feild, the majority of his last home runs have been to left or left center. Wait until Utley comes back, it may take a game or two, but I think Burrell and Howard will have better numbers hitting-wise than they have had recently. Rowand had been struggling up until recently, but I think his numbers will improve as well. Utley takes a lot of pressure off of the rest of the line-up. I think Iguchi has the feilding ability to play third base, he has great reflexes and has a good glove. I don't know about his arm strength, but I haven't seen anything that would say he can't play third.

Eh I just am going off some of his plays, he doesn't look to have a great arm but does Dobbs have one? No. I'll take a slightly weaker arm with a better bat and a good fielding ability anyday.

I am curious though the Phils will have 4 3Bs if Iguchi is indeed moved. What could they do? Dobbs has been too good off the bench, Helms isn't terrible and Nunez is a good fielder. Would they just keep them all? Doesn't seem to make sense given Utley's durability (knock on wood) before the injury.

I don't hate Howard. I like him still but I do think he needs maybe more of a fire. Maybe he's just going through a slump. But his fielding is what is killing me right now. I love the power and RBI totals, but the fielding is still a bit scary. But I'd rather have this lineup:

Rollins
Iguchi
Utley
Howard
Burrell
Rowand
Victorino
Coste/Ruiz
Pitcher

Instead of:

Rollins
Iguchi
Utley
Burrell
Rowand
Vic
Helms/Dobbs/Nunez
Catcher
Pitcher

A little irrelevant but has anyone noticed Howard looks faster? It just seems he's making ground balls and really tearing down the baseline. He moves pretty well for a big man.

RyanLeaf#1
08-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I think Coste has to been the main catcher.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:17 PM
A little irrelevant but has anyone noticed Howard looks faster? It just seems he's making ground balls and really tearing down the baseline. He moves pretty well for a big man.

Howard is really finally healthy, but he is already losing flexibility in his back when it comes to defense and such at age 27. That is a huge concern. Howard is an absolutely huge guy. I think he's best served as a DH in the AL, but there's no way he gets traded. I've said this several times: I hope the Phils sign him to a 5 year deal and no longer this offseason.

RyanLeaf#1
08-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Howard is really finally healthy, but he is already losing flexibility in his back when it comes to defense and such at age 27. That is a huge concern. Howard is an absolutely huge guy. I think he's best served as a DH in the AL, but there's no way he gets traded. I've said this several times: I hope the Phils sign him to a 5 year deal and no longer this offseason.

I hope they sign Miguel Cabrera and Aaron Rowand. Let Howard go hes an injury waiting to happen.

Lf- Pat Burrell
Cf- Aaron Rowand
LF- Shane Victorino
1b- Chase Utley
2b- Iguchi
SS- Rollins
3b- Cabrera

Thats solid

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Big win for the Phillies. Sucks about Cole missing his next start and possibly 1-3 weeks. We cant catch a f'n break. Back in the lead for the wild card.

eaglesalltheway
08-22-2007, 06:16 AM
I hope they sign Miguel Cabrera and Aaron Rowand. Let Howard go hes an injury waiting to happen.

Lf- Pat Burrell
Cf- Aaron Rowand
LF- Shane Victorino
1b- Chase Utley
2b- Iguchi
SS- Rollins
3b- Cabrera

Thats solid

Getting Cabrera would be great and getting Rowand back would also be great. I still want Howard though, I don't care if you think he is an injury waiting to happen, he was the MVP last year, and there has to be a reason for it. I'm pretty sure Iguchi is a FA after this season, but I may not be 100% on that.

bsaza2358
08-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Cabrera is very quickly eating himself out of the 3B position. The guy has limited fielding range at 3B as is. You sign him, and you have Pat Burrell in 3 years if he continues on his current track. I'd rather have a real 3B. Cabrera's hitting talent is unquestioned, but his ability to stay in shape and maintain his quickness and range is very much questionable.

bsaza2358
08-22-2007, 07:36 AM
I do agree that the Phillies absolutely need to resign Aaron Rowand. It's not just about his having a career year, either. I don't think he's really going to replicate those results on a long-term basis. The guy is a Philly kind of player and is a fan favorite. He plays great defense and can hit. He is a clubhouse leader and the kind of guy I want on my team, even if he's hitting 6th.

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I do agree that the Phillies absolutely need to resign Aaron Rowand. It's not just about his having a career year, either. I don't think he's really going to replicate those results on a long-term basis. The guy is a Philly kind of player and is a fan favorite. He plays great defense and can hit. He is a clubhouse leader and the kind of guy I want on my team, even if he's hitting 6th.

I agree 100% with what you said, but honestly I dont think they are going to give Rowand the kind of money hes going to be looking for.

bsaza2358
08-22-2007, 08:56 AM
What money do you think he wants? If the team can move Burrell somewhere (like the Giants), they'll have an extra $12mm. Rowand is worth that much a year.

bsaza2358
08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Also, there's a glut of CF's on the FA market this offseason (Cameron, Andruw Jones, Corey Patterson, Darrin Erstad, Kenny Lofton, Torii Hunter, and Rowand). That will diminish a lot of Rowand's value. As far as I'm concerned, it's a race between the White Sox and the Phillies for his services.

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I dont think, and personally dont want Pat Burrell going nowhere. He is to valuable to our team ( HAHA..joke right you can laugh now... wrong). In the last 30 days his batting average is .345. Dont get me wrong do I think this guy deserves all the money he is earning this year and next. NOOOOO... But I think we need to keep him around. Come on he had the go ahead game winning walk last night give the man some love.

Hes 4th in the mlb in walks with 86
Hes 10th in the mlb with a .410 OBP%
Hes 45th in the mlb with a .487 SLG%

Philliez01
08-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Burrell's patience at the plate, even when he was slumping, was impressive. That's the difference right now. He is taken until he gets the first strike. We are seeing less "Burrell Curls", lunging at CBs, and swinging at the high pitch. Even if he doesn't keep this up, that has helped the team greatly. It's almost like an "Abreu" approach to hitting.

I want to see Rowand stay, would love to see Bourn in the lineup (Roberson and Werth are legitimate backups) full-time but having Rowand in CF is great. Bourn has better speed and takes a better route to the ball but the team plays off of Rowand it seems. Rowand, Utley and Moyer seem to be the team leaders IMO.

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Burrell's patience at the plate, even when he was slumping, was impressive. That's the difference right now. He is taken until he gets the first strike. We are seeing less "Burrell Curls", lunging at CBs, and swinging at the high pitch. Even if he doesn't keep this up, that has helped the team greatly. It's almost like an "Abreu" approach to hitting.

I want to see Rowand stay, would love to see Bourn in the lineup (Roberson and Werth are legitimate backups) full-time but having Rowand in CF is great. Bourn has better speed and takes a better route to the ball but the team plays off of Rowand it seems. Rowand, Utley and Moyer seem to be the team leaders IMO.

Moyer is definitely the man.

bsaza2358
08-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Burrell's offense has been very good, but his defense is generally attrocious. He has no baserunning ability, and he is still not great in clutch situations. If you have him on the roster, you need to keep a guy like Bourn on the bench for defensive substitutions and baserunning. I think that stunts his growth.

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Burrell's offense has been very good, but his defense is generally attrocious. He has no baserunning ability, and he is still not great in clutch situations. If you have him on the roster, you need to keep a guy like Bourn on the bench for defensive substitutions and baserunning. I think that stunts his growth.

Do you really think any team wants to pick up his 14 million dollar contract for next year anyways?

bsaza2358
08-22-2007, 10:10 AM
It is possible that some teams will do it, given his improved presence at the plate this year. He is only slightly overpaid if he puts up similar numbers to last season.

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 10:13 AM
It is possible that some teams will do it, given his improved presence at the plate this year. He is only slightly overpaid if he puts up similar numbers to last season.

I think Burrell is a lifetime Phillie. Well atleast I hope he is.

jonbrodo17
08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
he stole the first base of his career last night

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
he stole the first base of his career last night

Who are you talking about Ryan Howard?

eaglesalltheway
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Who are you talking about Ryan Howard?

I'd hope he is, otherwise he is greatly confused. But good job to Howard anyway.

RyanLeaf#1
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I'd hope he is, otherwise he is greatly confused. But good job to Howard anyway.

Yea pretty funny it took him like 4 seasons to get one stolen base. I remember back in the day when Cecil Fielder used to steal a base here and there. Sports Center would be hilarious during them days.

bsaza2358
08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
SportsCenter now sucks and should be taken off the air.

Philliez01
08-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Any predictions for Fabio today (it's a day game, just in case no one notices)? I say:

5.2 IP
3 R
3 BB
4 K

RyanLeaf#1
08-23-2007, 10:26 AM
6 IP
1 run
2 BB

bsaza2358
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I am dreading the next 10 days or so without Hamels. On the bright side, the Padres are without Chris Young indefinitely.

RyanLeaf#1
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Castro is pitching so good, but hes not getting no run support.

RyanLeaf#1
08-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Phillies stink

RyanLeaf#1
08-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Gordon and Myers thankyou

eaglesalltheway
08-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Your Welcome

RyanLeaf#1
08-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Phillies have to sweep the Mets

bsaza2358
08-27-2007, 08:39 AM
If the Phillies want to have any legit shot at either the division, they need to sweep this. If they think they have a WC shot, they have to win at least 2 of 3.

RyanLeaf#1
08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
They definitely have to sweep. Hopefully Arizona sweeps the Padres.

Philliez01
08-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Sweeping a four game series is going to be tough regardless of the team. It has to be 3, Sweep or Bust. Of course they are sending out Durbin, Eaton, Moyer and Lohse in this series though.

RyanLeaf#1
08-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Burrell is the man thats all im gonna say. And what the hell is Werth on 8 for his last 8. Jesus Christ

bsaza2358
08-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Actually, Werth is 9 for his last 9 after last night. Red hot.

bsaza2358
08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
My parents were at last night's game and said that the team played really well. Judging by the 9-2 result, it seems like that was true.

RyanLeaf#1
08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Phillies are going to have to score as many runs tonight as they did last night with Eaton on the mound.

bsaza2358
08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
You think 9 is really enough? This is going to be an "all hands on deck" kind of night. Not very confident.

RyanLeaf#1
08-28-2007, 12:55 PM
You think 9 is really enough? This is going to be an "all hands on deck" kind of night. Not very confident.

Yea your right they might need 12.

bsaza2358
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Maybe Eaton has had a chance to reset his system with his DL stint. Perhaps he can put it together and give us a good start.

bsaza2358
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Bah, who am I kidding? Chalk this one up as a shootout...

RyanLeaf#1
08-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Great win for the Phillies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bsaza2358
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I cannot argue with these results. Guaranteed series split, and Glavine has already pitched. If the Phils can sweep this thing, they're 2 back, on a roll, and probably right there in the WC chase...

RyanLeaf#1
08-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I cannot argue with these results. Guaranteed series split, and Glavine has already pitched. If the Phils can sweep this thing, they're 2 back, on a roll, and probably right there in the WC chase...

The Padres arent losing.

jonbrodo17
08-29-2007, 04:05 PM
i would be very happy if we won one of the next 2 and took 3 in a 4 game series.

RyanLeaf#1
08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
i would be very happy if we won one of the next 2 and took 3 in a 4 game series.

Yea I would have said that before the series started but now that we have won the first 2 we still have a chance to sweep. Hopefully they can give Moyer some early run support.

RyanLeaf#1
08-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Burrell is hot man a homer in the 1st and a sac fly to take the lead in the 5th.

Philliez01
08-29-2007, 09:46 PM
What an effing game.

RyanLeaf#1
08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
What an effing game.

You aint kidding if they can sweep today it would be awesome.

bsaza2358
08-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, I'm extremely satisfied with the Phils already. Got a really nice win last night, albeit under some bizarre circumstances. Baserunner's interference is really rare. It was one of those lucky type moments that makes a real difference. Nice to see the Phils getting those kinds of breaks for a change.

bsaza2358
08-30-2007, 11:58 AM
If the Phils can sweep the Mets, they'll be only 2 out with less than 30 games to play. Odds are, the Braves will also be in the chase. With Arizona and San Diego a little bit ahead of everyone, it's looking like the NL West will produce the WC. That means the Phils will have to win the division. I would really like to play the NL Central winner in the first round...

RyanLeaf#1
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
If the Phils can sweep the Mets, they'll be only 2 out with less than 30 games to play. Odds are, the Braves will also be in the chase. With Arizona and San Diego a little bit ahead of everyone, it's looking like the NL West will produce the WC. That means the Phils will have to win the division. I would really like to play the NL Central winner in the first round...

If the Phillies win today I would love it just for the fact that all of the Mets fans that have been driving down from New York did not see 1 win. HAHAHAHA all that gas money down the $hitter.

RyanLeaf#1
08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
They were up 5-0 now its 5-4 WTF.

bsaza2358
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Looks like it's a more comfortable 8-5. We were waiting for an actual slugfest in this series, and it appears that today is the day. Both starters out early...

RyanLeaf#1
08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Have to take the Marlins down tonight.

bsaza2358
08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Forget tonight. We need to sweep bad teams and continue to put pressure on the Mets, Padres, and DBacks to win.

RyanLeaf#1
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Forget tonight. We need to sweep bad teams and continue to put pressure on the Mets, Padres, and DBacks to win.

If the Phillies swept the Marlins I would be shocked. They always have problems with the fish

eaglesalltheway
08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't be too shocked, the Phils have been playing well and the Marlins have been playing horrible.

jonbrodo17
08-31-2007, 10:36 PM
we need at least 2 outta 3, we already won one but we can't afford to cool off

RyanLeaf#1
09-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Phillies are cold

bsaza2358
09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Phillies are still in this thing, but they have to win some games. Hamels should be coming back healthy.

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Phillies are still in this thing, but they have to win some games. Hamels should be coming back healthy.

The Mets are hot.

eaglesalltheway
09-05-2007, 06:05 AM

There are questions pertaining to IF he will come back, so I am not certain of that just yet, but I am optimistic.

bsaza2358
09-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I am certain that Hamels will be back in a week or so. In the meantime, the Phils have to win the series against the Braves and really get things going into these final weeks. The main thing is to get the offense really hot and to get the rest of the team healthy. That means Bourn and Hamels back.

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Pat Burrell does it again. Hes the man

eaglesalltheway
09-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Good, defensive move putting Roberson in, he is the man.

RyanLeaf#1
09-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Season = Over

eaglesalltheway
09-07-2007, 06:53 AM
It isn't over yet, but it is really close.

RyanLeaf#1
09-07-2007, 06:53 AM
They have to sweep Florida.

eaglesalltheway
09-07-2007, 07:02 AM
They have to sweep a lot of series, and hope the Mets and/or Padres lose a lot of games, or just enough to get the Phils in the playoffs.

RyanLeaf#1
09-07-2007, 01:43 PM
They have to sweep a lot of series, and hope the Mets and/or Padres lose a lot of games, or just enough to get the Phils in the playoffs.

Well they better worry about sweeping the Marlins first.

eaglesalltheway
09-09-2007, 09:56 AM
They just have to win, and hope their opponents lose so they can gain ground.

RyanLeaf#1
09-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Pat Burrell having another monster day. He is the man.

eaglesalltheway
09-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Is he actually earning his money...?

eaglesalltheway
09-10-2007, 06:58 AM
'Cause it sure seems like it.

bsaza2358
09-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Burrell's historical statistics show that he's going to bat around .270 with 100+ RBI and 25-30 HR. His first half was an aberration, and he's making up for that with his torrid second half stats. I'm happy for him, but I'm more pleased with the impact he's having on the team. We needed the guy to come through, and he's really helped carry the franchise.

bsaza2358
09-10-2007, 08:36 AM
HUGE series with the Rockies. Colorado has snuck up and is in WC contention right now. The Phillies have to shut them down hardcore and basically end their season. A sweep of the Rockies would be VERY significant.

RyanLeaf#1
09-10-2007, 09:58 AM
HUGE series with the Rockies. Colorado has snuck up and is in WC contention right now. The Phillies have to shut them down hardcore and basically end their season. A sweep of the Rockies would be VERY significant.

They have to come to play. We need the relief pitchers to play good.

RyanLeaf#1
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
WOW 5-5 Burrell sat on a 2-0 fastball and just hit a 3 run homer to tie the game. He f'n crushed that ball. Burrell is the man

RyanLeaf#1
09-10-2007, 09:51 PM
What a great win for the Phillies!!!!! 1.5 back

eaglesalltheway
09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
That was a great hit by Howard, couldn't have thrown it any better.

RyanLeaf#1
09-10-2007, 09:59 PM
That was a great hit by Howard, couldn't have thrown it any better.

They need to sweep the Rockies in the worst way.

eaglesalltheway
09-10-2007, 10:19 PM
They need to sweep the Rockies in the worst way.

If they don't sweep, they need to get three wins in this series, and then we have to worry about the mets.

bsaza2358
09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Burrell's hit a homer in what? 3 straight games? He is just sick lately. Career year when everyone said he was done...

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Burrell's hit a homer in what? 3 straight games? He is just sick lately. Career year when everyone said he was done...

He is having the best 2nd half out of anyone in all of major league baseball

bsaza2358
09-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Burrell since the All-Star Break:

55 games, .330 avg, .442 OBP, 61 hits, 17 HR, 12 doubles, 53 RBI, and an OPS of 1.112.

Pretty freakin' sick...

bsaza2358
09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
In comparison, A-Rod since the Break:

56 games, .322 avg, .441 OBP, 64 hits, 22 HR, 7 doubles, 54 RBI, and an OPS of 1.129.

Relatively comparable hitting statistics. Of course, A-Rod is playing Gold Glove quality 3B, while Burrell is mediocre in LF.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
In comparison, A-Rod since the Break:

56 games, .322 avg, .441 OBP, 64 hits, 22 HR, 7 doubles, 54 RBI, and an OPS of 1.129.

Relatively comparable hitting statistics. Of course, A-Rod is playing Gold Glove quality 3B, while Burrell is mediocre in LF.

A Rod is also making alot more money too. So he should be doing something better then Burrell.

bsaza2358
09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Very fair point. It's not like A-Rod is putting up bad results. Burrell has just been equally impressive.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Very fair point. It's not like A-Rod is putting up bad results. Burrell has just been equally impressive.

Exactly. If Burrell has these type of numbers next year. He will make some serious money when he is a free agent after next season.

eaglesalltheway
09-11-2007, 01:42 PM
He already is making some serious money, that is why a lot of people have problems with him when he isn't performing as well. But as of right now, I'd say he is outperforming his paycheck.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 03:21 PM
He already is making some serious money, that is why a lot of people have problems with him when he isn't performing as well. But as of right now, I'd say he is outperforming his paycheck.

But you cant even compare what he makes to what A-Rod makes.

bsaza2358
09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Burrell makes close to $13mm. A-Rod makes almost twice that amount.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Burrell makes close to $13mm. A-Rod makes almost twice that amount.

Couldnt imagine making that kind of money... But anyways Burrell is well worth that 13 m this year.

bsaza2358
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
He has proven himself worth that investment with his second half.

eaglesalltheway
09-12-2007, 06:05 AM
I would definitely say so.

RyanLeaf#1
09-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Eaton is so awesome.

eaglesalltheway
09-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Eaton is so awesome.

Eaton is so overpaid.

bsaza2358
09-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Eaton is paid market value for a #3/#4 starter. He usually doesn't throw more than 150 innings a year. I think he's worn down, and his mechanics are off. Give him an offseason of rest and work with Dubee, and he'll be fine. I'd be very happy with him at the #4/#5 SP role. He'd be slightly overpaid in theory, but he's a decent SP.

RyanLeaf#1
09-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Eaton is paid market value for a #3/#4 starter. He usually doesn't throw more than 150 innings a year. I think he's worn down, and his mechanics are off. Give him an offseason of rest and work with Dubee, and he'll be fine. I'd be very happy with him at the #4/#5 SP role. He'd be slightly overpaid in theory, but he's a decent SP.

If I were the Phillies. I would use him as a starting pitcher next year until the all-star break, and then put him in the bullpen because he definitely gets worn down towards the end of the year.