PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Black reminds me of Cato June

Bucs4242
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Everything I hear, Black reminds me of June more than anyone else. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Great athlete, lacks toughness, bad tackler

etk
05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
June played S in college, Black played a hybrid MLB type. June is like 218 lbs, Black is 240, etc.

I don't see any comparison at all. Black is not as good as June is in coverage and Black is better in run support.

StaticGator
05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
June played S in college, Black played a hybrid MLB type. June is like 218 lbs, Black is 240, etc.

I don't see any comparison at all. Black is not as good as June is in coverage and Black is better in run support.

That's what kind of worries me. Linebackers who can fill the hole are a dime a dozen. The ones that can cover are the ones that get paid and those are the guys who become stars in this system. I really hope this isn't another Marquis Cooper.

Caddy
05-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Quincy Black is not as bad a coverage guy as he has been made out to be. Seeing as June was a safety in college, coverage skills are obviously going to be there but realistically, Black is not much worse when it comes to coverage.

etk
05-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Quincy Black is not as bad a coverage guy as he has been made out to be. Seeing as June was a safety in college, coverage skills are obviously going to be there but realistically, Black is not much worse when it comes to coverage.

Cato June is one of the best coverage linebackers in the league, Black isn't nearly on his level yet.....

Caddy
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Cato June is one of the best coverage linebackers in the league, Black isn't nearly on his level yet.....

Which I explained. Making the transition from safety to linebacker obviously gives him a slight advantage in coverage.

Tampa 2 4 life
05-10-2007, 04:43 PM
...Where do you see the comparison? Black is bigger and faster than June.

etk
05-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Which I explained. Making the transition from safety to linebacker obviously gives him a slight advantage in coverage.

You just don't seem to get it....safety or no safety, June is a lot better than Black in coverage. June naturally flips his hips and has a quicker backpedal and closing burst to the ball. He also has much better hands and playmaking ability. The advantage is much greater than just "slight"....

...Where do you see the comparison? Black is bigger and faster than June.

Quincy Black is not faster than Cato June. I don't care what his 40 time is, June is definitely faster (not by much though).

-black
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I love that name Black.....:)

simms2clayton
05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I think Black will play the left side of our defense...I don't really see Heyward making the 53...Our LB corps should look like this...

ROLB: Brooks (Nece)
MLB: Ruud (Winborn, Cash)
LOLB: June (Black)

Chucky
05-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I think Black will play the left side of our defense...I don't really see Heyward making the 53...Our LB corps should look like this...

ROLB: Brooks (Nece)
MLB: Ruud (Winborn, Cash)
LOLB: June (Black)

Do u think he would at least make the practice squad? If not i will make a you a sig bet he does

Caddy
05-11-2007, 08:00 AM
You just don't seem to get it....safety or no safety, June is a lot better than Black in coverage. June naturally flips his hips and has a quicker backpedal and closing burst to the ball. He also has much better hands and playmaking ability. The advantage is much greater than just "slight"....

I'm pretty sure that is what I have been saying etk. Obviously June is going to be better in coverage than Black due to his history at the safety position which I agreed with.

Caddy
05-11-2007, 08:09 AM

Quincy Black is not faster than Cato June. I don't care what his 40 time is, June is definitely faster (not by much though).

Cato June ran a 4.59 at the 2003 combine but tore his hamstring during the sprint. So take what you want from that.

Either way both guys are fast for linebackers. Whether Black's timed speed translates will be crucial to his development.

Merlin
05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I will refer back to what Gruden said, when he was asked to name the similarities between Piscitelli and Lynch,......he said "well....their both white but that's about it!"

I can only say the same about Quincy and Cato....their both Black!

I've yet to see Black play an NFL down yet, and while I think he has the physical ability, he has a hell of a lot to learn mentally concerning our LB positions and the Tampa 2 in general, he's playing a new position, and we're still all speculating where his final position will be?

IMO, Black has the potential to be much better than June, but right now that means squat!

Caddy
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Black has huge upside but he needs at least a year to sit behind Derrick Brooks, which is an ideal situation in itself, before he is even ready to start. I hate how the posters on the Buc's message board are already declaring he deserves to be a starter. Bunch of morons if you ask me.

Bucs4242
05-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Black ran a 4.42 40 yard dash and is considered a poor tackler in space, how doesnt that sound like Cato June? And if you compare their pictures, they are both built like juice monkeys

Bucs4242
05-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I can only say the same about Quincy and Cato....their both Black!

Thats ridiculous. They share similar football traits. Both are considered top tier athletes for their position,a nd neitehr one can tackle

NOTE: I am basing this solely off of scouting reports on Black. I have never seen him play. So obviously I could be very wrong, but I was just making an observation that they sound alike. I don tknow how you can argue it unless you have seen Black play a substantial amount and cank deny all the scouting reports about him and tell me from your first hand experience watching him that he is neither fast/ athletic or a bad tackler. If not, then I owuld say Black and June sound an awful lot alike

btw Ive seen quite a few scouting reports that also say Black is very good in coverage, so I am waiting to hear someones on here claim they have seen him play in college and can deny all these things from his scouting report. etk?

Merlin
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Thats ridiculous. They share similar football traits. Both are considered top tier athletes for their position,a nd neitehr one can tackle

NOTE: I am basing this solely off of scouting reports on Black. I have never seen him play. So obviously I could be very wrong, but I was just making an observation that they sound alike. I don tknow how you can argue it unless you have seen Black play a substantial amount and cank deny all the scouting reports about him and tell me from your first hand experience watching him that he is neither fast/ athletic or a bad tackler. If not, then I owuld say Black and June sound an awful lot alike

btw Ive seen quite a few scouting reports that also say Black is very good in coverage, so I am waiting to hear someones on here claim they have seen him play in college and can deny all these things from his scouting report. etk?Actually, now you mentioned it, their identical in every facet!?!.....I've missed you.

Bucs4242
05-11-2007, 01:28 PM
POSITIVES-

"A vastly underrated talent with excellent speed....He wreaked havoc on the opposition's passing game while playing the safety/linebacker hybrid Lobo position... Has an athletic, angular build with a thick chest, broad shoulders and good muscle definition in his arms and legs...Runs with a quick stride, showing good flexibility and knee bend in his pass drops … Has the lateral quickness and range to make plays on the move and does a good job of flipping his hips to turn and come out of his breaks cleanly …Accelerates quickly to the run alleys, but is better served playing on the edge where he can use his quickness to zero in on the ball (lacks the power to shed blocks when playing vs. the inside run)...Mirrors receivers' moves in the short area and refuses to allow any underneath cushion … Settles in nicely dropping off in the zone, handling the switch-off with ease … Springs into his tackles and is very active staying in the receiver's face … Has the range and catch-up speed to quickly recover when beaten on deep routes, doing a good job of scanning the field and keeping eye contact on the quarterback when working in the zone … Adjusts smoothly to the ball in flight, timing his leaps and extending outside the frame to look the ball in … Alert to the receivers in his area and breaks sharply out of his backpedal …"

NEGATIVES-

"Has to get more active in run support (tends to shy away from inside contact, making him a better secondary fit than one who can play inside the box at the next level)....Has a good-looking frame, but plays too passive at times, and with his physique he should be blowing people up rather than making arm tackles … Drag-down type of tackler who gets a little reckless in his play and is prone to out-running the action … "

OUTLOOK-

Teams like Black as a weakside linebacker, but he doesn't show the strength to shed blocks at that position and seems to be better suited playing on the move or in the secondary, where his marginal skills against the run won't be exposed....He has excellent closing speed and the ability to close from the backside...He gets good depth in his pass drops and is able to flip his hips and turn cleanly out of his breaks.

Sounds exactly like Cato June

Bucs4242
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Lynch and Piscatilli are not all that similar aside from being the rare breed of white defensive backs. SO thats why the comparisons there are ridiculous, and dont extend past the color of their skin

There are tons of black LBs, so I am obviously not drawing any comparison to the color of their skin. I just provided a thorough report on Quincy Black and it sounds an awful lot like Cato June. I like etk, and Im not questioning his knowledge but I would like for him to explain why he thinks the exact opposite of all the scouting reports on Black. Are you a big Lobo fan? Or can you admit you are just guessing, and dont have any firm knowledge of the guy?

There are so many unknowledgable Bucs fans here, which is why I rarely post here. The few times I do come and present real topics to debate I am met with hollow debates from the same useless posters.

Im not lumping etk in with that crowd, but Id like to hear something real come from him rather than just pretending he knows something he doesnt to give himself an ego boost

Caddy
05-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Lynch and Piscatilli are not all that similar aside from being the rare breed of white defensive backs. SO thats why the comparisons there are ridiculous, and dont extend past the color of their skin

There are tons of black LBs, so I am obviously not drawing any comparison to the color of their skin. I just provided a thorough report on Quincy Black and it sounds an awful lot like Cato June. I like etk, and Im not questioning his knowledge but I would like for him to explain why he thinks the exact opposite of all the scouting reports on Black. Are you a big Lobo fan? Or can you admit you are just guessing, and dont have any firm knowledge of the guy?

There are so many unknowledgable Bucs fans here, which is why I rarely post here. The few times I do come and present real topics to debate I am met with hollow debates from the same useless posters.

Im not lumping etk in with that crowd, but Id like to hear something real come from him rather than just pretending he knows something he doesnt to give himself an ego boost

You prefer the posters at Pewter Report? Some of the posters on that board are so superficial it isn't funny.

Merlin
05-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Well........don't hang around on my account!?!

I enjoy discussions as much as the next guy, but sometimes you have to agree, to disagree, I don't want to be bludgeoned into submission because my views are not shared, so you think Black is just like Cato, good for you....I don't, at least not yet?

Get over it!

etk
05-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Black and June are similar in their strengths and style of play. Obviously they are both fast-flowing weakside linebackers that can wrap tackle but lack consistency and hitting ability. They are both natural cover men, but Black is not nearly on June's level yet when it comes to field awareness, playmaking ability and natural hip movement. Black-June is a fairer comparison than Piscitelli-Lynch but it's not an ideal one. My earlier posts stated that June was much better in coverage right now, as he is one of the best in the league while Black is merely a talented rookie with some speed. I never said that they were polar opposites in their style of play, there are some comparisons that can be made.

Caddy
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't see any comparison at all.

Black and June are similar in their strengths and style of play.

lol. Nice flip-flop etk.

Phrost
05-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Black doesn't look 240 at all.

etk
05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
lol. Nice flip-flop etk.

My first post was a trollish overstatement, basically reflecting my views on the thread. There's obviously small similarities between the two that could be chanelled into a comparison but overall they are different players.

Caddy
05-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Black doesn't look 240 at all.

He does have Pittman-esque arms though. That has to count for something.

Phrost
05-11-2007, 11:19 PM
He does have Pittman-esque arms though. That has to count for something.

Wow, maybe......

Phrost
05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
My first post was a trollish overstatement, basically reflecting my views on the thread. There's obviously small similarities between the two that could be chanelled into a comparison but overall they are different players.

You got caught just admit it.

etk
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
You got caught just admit it.

Got caught doing what? My opinions never changed on the matter, only the way I articulated them.......