PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Chargers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

JK17
07-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Chargers sign all draft picks!!!! (http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/chargers-agree-to.htm) Yay

Huge news, glad these guys all want to get into camp, and glad they know how beneficial it will be to get everyone on the same page early.

San Diego Chicken
07-24-2007, 06:06 PM
It's possible, obviously. Here's something I haven't heard ANYBODY mention; LT started off 2006 slow. Pretty damn slow actually, for the standard he set the rest of the season. It wasn't until week 5 or so that McNeill really got his sealegs and LT went on a rampage that would frighten Godzilla. and nobody really stopped him the rest of the year, not even the Pats. I think it's possible that LT goes beserk the whole of 07.

Here's to hoping he finally reaches his long stated goal of 2000 yards. I only see two more barriers for him to break to be considered the best running back of all time - rush for 2000 yards, and win a Super Bowl.

CC.SD
07-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Here's to hoping he finally reaches his long stated goal of 2000 yards. I only see two more barriers for him to break to be considered the best running back of all time - rush for 2000 yards, and win a Super Bowl.

Yeah, those are the big two. However, as much as I love LT, and want him to hit 2000, I'd trade it all for a super bowl win. He could break his leg in the first game and have Turner come in, and if we won it all, it would be the greatest season in Charger history.

That said, it won't happen; LT will lead us there.

bearsfan_51
07-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, those are the big two. However, as much as I love LT, and want him to hit 2000, I'd trade it all for a super bowl win. He could break his leg in the first game and have Turner come in, and if we won it all, it would be the greatest season in Charger history.

That said, it won't happen; LT will lead us there.

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~dsandov1/brianUrlacher.jpg

First game eh?? ;)

bantx
07-27-2007, 10:57 PM

First game eh?? ;)

rofl thats not a charger though :P he can do it to a eagle any day i hate them

CC.SD
07-29-2007, 11:11 AM

First game eh?? ;)

That's an Eagle, dude. I'd be a lot more worried about Merriman adding to Rexy's permanent concussion syndrome.

sdpads24
07-29-2007, 02:16 PM
All bears fans should be scared

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1207/nfl_ap_tomlinson_stiffarm_412.jpg

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 02:20 PM
That's an Eagle, dude. I'd be a lot more worried about Merriman adding to Rexy's permanent concussion syndrome.
He's never had a concussion, he's just ********.

bantx
07-29-2007, 09:43 PM
my sig is pretty sexy

cuzifelt1ikeit
08-04-2007, 01:17 PM
whos the new dc? is he a deciple of wade philips?

JK17
08-04-2007, 11:50 PM
my sig is pretty sexy

Yeah it is...

I still got the Rivers one you made me up there....represent

bantx
08-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah it is...

I still got the Rivers one you made me up there....represent

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/Bantx/Signatures/philliprivers2.png

i made this about a month ago if u want to use this one ;P

JK17
08-05-2007, 11:44 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/Bantx/Signatures/philliprivers2.png

i made this about a month ago if u want to use this one ;P

Yeah def, why not change it up...looks sick as usual

JK17
08-07-2007, 10:45 PM
So has anyone heard any word on how Cromartie has been doing in TC...living on the other side of the country you hear shockingly little about Charger Camp...

CC.SD
08-08-2007, 10:54 AM
So has anyone heard any word on how Cromartie has been doing in TC...living on the other side of the country you hear shockingly little about Charger Camp...

He's been a little up and down. He'll have days where he is absolutely everywhere and come down with multiple picks, but then he'll have a fairly disappointing day. Based on what I've seen in practice, and heard from other reports, I don't think he gets the nod over Florence this year. But it's obvious to see he's going to be great in this league, and he'll already play like 50% of the defensive snaps as the nickel anyway.

JK17
08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
He's been a little up and down. He'll have days where he is absolutely everywhere and come down with multiple picks, but then he'll have a fairly disappointing day. Based on what I've seen in practice, and heard from other reports, I don't think he gets the nod over Florence this year. But it's obvious to see he's going to be great in this league, and he'll already play like 50% of the defensive snaps as the nickel anyway.

I guess that's good news, it is only his second year, and im sure we all remember how long it took Jammer to get on his level...just a shame he better get it down by the end of the year, with Florence all but gone next year.

Average OT LB
08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I guess that's good news, it is only his second year, and im sure we all remember how long it took Jammer to get on his level...just a shame he better get it down by the end of the year, with Florence all but gone next year.

good call with jammer.. it did take awhile, but is that a good sign for cromartie or bad one? if florence is gone next year ... we're gonna find out

bantx
08-08-2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070807-9999-1s7charjump.html

trying to get gates more involved good news

JK17
08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Is there anyone here whose been to Training Camp who could give us a quick summary on how some of the key guys may do this year, or some of the prospects...hows VJ, Weddle, Davis, Oliver, the linebackers, etc. doing?

sdpads24
08-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Is there anyone here whose been to Training Camp who could give us a quick summary on how some of the key guys may do this year, or some of the prospects...hows VJ, Weddle, Davis, Oliver, the linebackers, etc. doing?

I haven't been to any training camps this year, but I am going to the game this Sunday(I can't wait). From all the reports so far everything seems to be going as planned. VJ is developing as a #1 receiver, Weddle has played like a rookie but has shown excellent potential and all the coaches love him, Davis has had some injuries but hopefully its nothing serious and Oliver struggled learning the playbook at first because he came to camp late, but has shown signs of improvement. You probably already know this, but this what i can say so far.

JK17
08-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I haven't been to any training camps this year, but I am going to the game this Sunday(I can't wait). From all the reports so far everything seems to be going as planned. VJ is developing as a #1 receiver, Weddle has played like a rookie but has shown excellent potential and all the coaches love him, Davis has had some injuries but hopefully its nothing serious and Oliver struggled learning the playbook at first because he came to camp late, but has shown signs of improvement. You probably already know this, but this what i can say so far.

Sounds great, I wish I lived out there and could go to the games live...its just not the same watching it on tv...especially when the only live games you have the chance to see are Sheli and the Giants...

Let us know any notes or things you picked up on at the game, it'd be appreciated!

bantx
08-09-2007, 11:48 PM
ahh we get a whole sunday for ourself ready for sunday already!

JK17
08-09-2007, 11:50 PM

Can't wait to see the new uni's in action... I saw the new LT commerical for the first time today, and just seein him in action, got me all excited for Sunday...of course we won't see him, but just any Bolt action should be enough... How long you think most of the starters play for?

bantx
08-09-2007, 11:52 PM
maybe a quarter or a little more no more then 2 quarters

sdpads24
08-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Which means all day to tailgate with friends.

bantx
08-10-2007, 12:01 AM
i want to tailgate but i will probably do it for the cowboys since i live in arlington and the new stadium should be done next year or something like that tail gating sounds fun

sdpads24
08-10-2007, 11:11 PM
So I went to training camp today and it was pretty cool to watch. Seeing some of the players that we've been talking about this whole off-season live really got me pumped for the season to start. I couldn't really tell which players stood out beeing that the players weren't wearing pads and it was basically a walk-through practice for the game on sunday, but nonetheless our superstars are always going to stand out. You don't realize how big some of these players actually are untill you see them up and close.

JK17
08-11-2007, 09:06 AM
So I went to training camp today and it was pretty cool to watch. Seeing some of the players that we've been talking about this whole off-season live really got me pumped for the season to start. I couldn't really tell which players stood out beeing that the players weren't wearing pads and it was basically a walk-through practice for the game on sunday, but nonetheless our superstars are always going to stand out. You don't realize how big some of these players actually are untill you see them up and close.

That's still pretty nice, damn I wish I lived out there...

You get to meet any of the players?

sdpads24
08-11-2007, 01:28 PM
That's still pretty nice, damn I wish I lived out there...

You get to meet any of the players?

Nah, I didn't feel like waiting untill after the practice ended, and getting autographs has never been a big deal to me.

Xenos
08-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Here's the link to the training camp observations:
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=43191&page=5

Go down slightly until you see the poster called endzonecrazy, and the year 2007.
There's more observations on the other days, but I forgot what pages they were on. Just keep going until you see his username again. That poster usually provides excellent observations about camp.

CC.SD
08-11-2007, 07:46 PM

Sure thing.

VJ has looked great; by far the biggest difference from last year is his hand extension. Not a lot of letting the ball getting into his chest, which held him back last year.

Weddle has looked pretty good too; he was absolutely on fire the other day during the two minute drill, he made like 3 crucial plays. A lot of the time he has been matched up with Gates when he's in the dime package--considering he is going up against the game's premiere tight end, he has done great. Gates will beat him, but not uncontested. Weddle gets in there and knocks the ball away a lot too. I've been more impressed by him out there than Hart, that's for sure.

Davis has been the talk of camp, he has made sure catches all over the field and basically looks like he and Rivers have been at it for years.

Haven't noticed Oliver, or the new linebackers too much. Obviously Merriman and Phillips have stood out.

However, you can't underestimate how good Malcolm Floyd is looking out there. If the season started today, he would definitely start. It would probably be Jackson/Floyd, although Davis would make it a tough battle. I personally think our WRs are going to explode this year, Rivers has chemistry with everyone.

JK17
08-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Sounds like things are going pretty well overall, can't wait to see it all for the first time this year tomorrow night...hopefully itll all flow smoothly...

Average OT LB
08-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Sure thing.

VJ has looked great; by far the biggest difference from last year is his hand extension. Not a lot of letting the ball getting into his chest, which held him back last year.

Weddle has looked pretty good too; he was absolutely on fire the other day during the two minute drill, he made like 3 crucial plays. A lot of the time he has been matched up with Gates when he's in the dime package--considering he is going up against the game's premiere tight end, he has done great. Gates will beat him, but not uncontested. Weddle gets in there and knocks the ball away a lot too. I've been more impressed by him out there than Hart, that's for sure.

Davis has been the talk of camp, he has made sure catches all over the field and basically looks like he and Rivers have been at it for years.

Haven't noticed Oliver, or the new linebackers too much. Obviously Merriman and Phillips have stood out.

However, you can't underestimate how good Malcolm Floyd is looking out there. If the season started today, he would definitely start. It would probably be Jackson/Floyd, although Davis would make it a tough battle. I personally think our WRs are going to explode this year, Rivers has chemistry with everyone.

wow all thats very good to hear... Im especially glad to hear that VJ is getting is extending his hands more.. hopefully that also applies to the slant s and comebackers he runs... very often last year he ran into problems because of that, which made me feel like he couldnt be a complete reciever.. its a big problem to fix so to hear that hes making progress is the best news to hear

As far as weddle goes... i guess we'll see. Sounds like a gritty guy with alotta moxy, and for a player in the NFL most times thast good enough to be good. Mr. Deilman i believe is a good example of that. I'm still not buying weddle this year, I have to see him and judge him for myself before i crown him the next big thing in the defensive backfield..

JK17
08-12-2007, 04:11 PM
So what are some of the big things you guys wanna look for in the game tonight?

For me I want to see how the receivers play with Rivers, specifically VJ and Davis, and how far along their chemistry is. Obviously the secondary is gonna be interesting also, and I want to see the development of Cromarite and Weddle compared to Florence and Hart.

bantx
08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I wanna see how craig does

JK17
08-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I wanna see how craig does

Do you know if he's gonna start the game as the #2 or if its going to go to Floyd or one of the other guys?

CC.SD
08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
My Player of the Game; Floyd. I don't think anyone on our team looked better, except for one bad drop.

Weddle looked sharp as hell.

'cuse-213
08-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Who do you guys think would be a better 3rd WR in FF. Craig Davis or Derrick Mason?

JK17
08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Who do you guys think would be a better 3rd WR in FF. Craig Davis or Derrick Mason?

Craig Davis will be battling Floyd for the #2 role in San Diego. From what we saw in the preseason, they are working hard to get him the ball, but then again, its preseason, and he's a rookie. There are a lot of other weapons to, particularly on the goalline, which means Davis will need to break a big one in all likelihood to get into the endzone.

I'm not certian what Mason's situation is like in Baltimore. I know Clayton is supposed to have a breakout year, and they are big on Demetrius Williams. I'm sure he's someone who McNair is comfortable with as well, but with his age, and spot on the depth chart he might not be all that effective either.

If I had to tell you who to go with, it would be Mason. Davis is a rookie and has to share a lot of touches, and won't get very much work at all down in the red zone. Mason won't be a machine either, but he's more proven in the league, and will probably get more TDs. Neither are great options though, unless its a very deep league...

'cuse-213
08-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Craig Davis will be battling Floyd for the #2 role in San Diego. From what we saw in the preseason, they are working hard to get him the ball, but then again, its preseason, and he's a rookie. There are a lot of other weapons to, particularly on the goalline, which means Davis will need to break a big one in all likelihood to get into the endzone.

I'm not certian what Mason's situation is like in Baltimore. I know Clayton is supposed to have a breakout year, and they are big on Demetrius Williams. I'm sure he's someone who McNair is comfortable with as well, but with his age, and spot on the depth chart he might not be all that effective either.

If I had to tell you who to go with, it would be Mason. Davis is a rookie and has to share a lot of touches, and won't get very much work at all down in the red zone. Mason won't be a machine either, but he's more proven in the league, and will probably get more TDs. Neither are great options though, unless its a very deep league...

Thanks for the help man.

JK17
08-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the help man.

No prob, hope it works out for you.

Average OT LB
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-godfrey&prov=ap&type=lgns

godfrey just signed with the redskins.. yeah thats cool

JK17
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-godfrey&prov=ap&type=lgns

godfrey just signed with the redskins.. yeah thats cool

Lame, obviously he wasn't coming back for us this year, but I would have figured he either came with us and tried for the ring, or called it quits for good.

Average OT LB
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Lame, obviously he wasn't coming back for us this year, but I would have figured he either came with us and tried for the ring, or called it quits for good.

i thought he was done ... im happy hes playin somewhere .. in the NFC but the redskins? cmon.. play for a likeable team, sigh...

Average OT LB
08-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey JK17, I was in a discussion earlier about defensive backs, and i was wondering what your take was on who the best backs were in the division.. just take bailey out of the equation

JK17
08-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey JK17, I was in a discussion earlier about defensive backs, and i was wondering what your take was on who the best backs were in the division.. just take bailey out of the equation

Obviously, Bailey takes the cake, so like you said he's out of the equation.

The rest its hard to judge because of how many different systems and situations there are, but just looking overall whose best, I would go...
1. Bailey

2.Nmadi Asomugha
3. Dre Bly
4. Quentin Jammer

After those four, I have a hard time picking out others. I don't like slower, older corners which eliminates both the KC guys for me. With what they are asked to do in the system they play in, they may succeed, but it would be a lot harder in some other systems for them to do well, whereas those four could do well in most I would feel. So with my fifth spot it would be a toss up between the two KC guys, Law and Surtain, and Washington who I like because he's much quicker then the other two, but not as expereinced. Florence I wouldn't really mention.

Average OT LB
08-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Obviously, Bailey takes the cake, so like you said he's out of the equation.

The rest its hard to judge because of how many different systems and situations there are, but just looking overall whose best, I would go...
1. Bailey

2.Nmadi Asomugha
3. Dre Bly
4. Quentin Jammer

After those four, I have a hard time picking out others. I don't like slower, older corners which eliminates both the KC guys for me. With what they are asked to do in the system they play in, they may succeed, but it would be a lot harder in some other systems for them to do well, whereas those four could do well in most I would feel. So with my fifth spot it would be a toss up between the two KC guys, Law and Surtain, and Washington who I like because he's much quicker then the other two, but not as expereinced. Florence I wouldn't really mention.

haha wouldnt touch flo, i agree... but what about the prospects of cromartie? not worth mentioning?

JK17
08-22-2007, 12:26 AM
haha wouldnt touch flo, i agree... but what about the prospects of cromartie? not worth mentioning?

If he was able to come in and develop this year, and make strides then yeah I'd consider it, his tools are among the best in the NFL in terms of size and athleticism. I'd need to see something concrete from him though this year, right now he's too much potential not enough proven for me to push for him in the conversation.

CC.SD
08-22-2007, 05:02 PM
If he was able to come in and develop this year, and make strides then yeah I'd consider it, his tools are among the best in the NFL in terms of size and athleticism. I'd need to see something concrete from him though this year, right now he's too much potential not enough proven for me to push for him in the conversation.

By next year I really think Cromartie will be ready to make some huge plays. He's going to be returning some more kicks this year, according to Norv. That's always fun to see, he is ridiculously fast.

sdpads24
08-30-2007, 11:46 PM
I had this paragraph written out on the 49ers game, but I had to start all over because my internet went out so I'm gonna make this short. I went to the game aginst the 49ers and It was a lot of fun, but then I got bored so I left at halftime. I really thought andrew pinnock sucked tonight. He doesn't look anywhere near like a pro football player. I thought our secondary played well, and really made it tough on the QB's for the 49ers, and made some nice INT's on plays that were probably more lucky then good, but who cares. It really seemed like a off game for most of the starters, I even saw Marcus Mcneil and Shane Olivea trying to start the wave with fans during the game. I had to laugh when I saw that.

JK17
09-08-2007, 12:34 PM
So where do you guys plan on watching the game tomorrow?

I can't believe its tomorrow....

sdpads24
09-08-2007, 02:08 PM
So where do you guys plan on watching the game tomorrow?

I can't believe its tomorrow....

I'm lucky enough to have season tickets, so I'll be at the Q. Can't wait!!!!!

bantx
09-09-2007, 12:19 PM
im hoping it plays down here in texas

sdpads24
09-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Well what can I say, that was a great game. I loved the way our D shut them down and the way our secondary played for the most part, we clearly dominated that side of the ball. As for our offense, I wasn't expecting much against such a tough defense like the Bears. Even though our offense played no where near what they are capable of, we still came away with the W.

JK17
09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Well what can I say, that was a great game. I loved the way our D shut them down and the way our secondary played for the most part, we clearly dominated that side of the ball. As for our offense, I wasn't expecting much against such a tough defense like the Bears. Even though our offense played no where near what they are capable of, we still came away with the W.

Yeah, i was impresesd with the defense. They couldn't run the ball, our rush got to the QB, and when our secondary did get beat, which it did a couple times, we were able to recover. Devin Hester was a non factor in the ST game today, and we had very few lapses in terms of penalties and what not.

The offense though really needs to improve. I thought, for the most part Rivers played pretty well. His interception was ugly, but he made a lot of nice throws too, took what the D was giving for the most part. Tomlinson will rebound, obviously but I wanted to see more out there. He did get shut down when he was in there, and that can't happen just because the Bears are good at defense.

SuperKevin
09-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Has Tomlinson officially thrown for more TDs in his career than Ryan Leaf yet?

fenikz
09-10-2007, 03:18 AM
I watched the game today and i just wanted to that your defense is scary good, it's the best I've seen since the Ravens back in 01' the Chargers have alway kinda been my favorite AFC team and i wish you guys the best of luck this year

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 04:33 AM
I watched the game today and i just wanted to that your defense is scary good, it's the best I've seen since the Ravens back in 01' the Chargers have alway kinda been my favorite AFC team and i wish you guys the best of luck this year

Really? In all honesty I thought the Bears defense looked even better than the Chargers' D yesterday. The Bears' O just came out an really laid an egg.

San Diego Chicken
09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Steven Cooper had an outstanding game yesterday, and so did Wilhelm to his credit. The secondary still looks shaky, and I'm getting really worried about Cro, wondering when the light bulb will come on for him, but overall our defense looked great. And Gates is just picking up where he left off in the preseason. I could see him having a monster season. The Bears could not cover him no matter where he lined up.

JK17
09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Steven Cooper had an outstanding game yesterday, and so did Wilhelm to his credit. The secondary still looks shaky, and I'm getting really worried about Cro, wondering when the light bulb will come on for him, but overall our defense looked great. And Gates is just picking up where he left off in the preseason. I could see him having a monster season. The Bears could not cover him no matter where he lined up.

I loved how Cooper played in there, good awareness with the strip, and just an overall good game. The entire defense played well...

Except I agree with you on Cro. He's still so young, only 17 games into his career, so lets not jump ship on him just yet, but he really was unconvincing, and wasn't much better in the preseason I felt.

San Diego Chicken
09-10-2007, 08:03 PM
I loved how Cooper played in there, good awareness with the strip, and just an overall good game. The entire defense played well...

Except I agree with you on Cro. He's still so young, only 17 games into his career, so lets not jump ship on him just yet, but he really was unconvincing, and wasn't much better in the preseason I felt.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe he is too tall and playing a little bit stiff? Or not reacting to the ball fast enough? I just never see him playing blanket defense in those critical 3rd down situations.

I need to rewatch the game to have a reaction to the offense. First reaction - LT is sort of where he was to begin last year. I need to see the game again to judge if the OL was not playing well enough in general. Seems like McNeil is still a little off, Anderson was able to get quite a few pressures on Rivers.

JK17
09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure what it is, maybe he is too tall and playing a little bit stiff? Or not reacting to the ball fast enough? I just never see him playing blanket defense in those critical 3rd down situations.

What Average OT LB had said is that maybe he is being taught the wrong stuff. What bothered me in the presesaon was that same reaction, blanket defense in they key spots, where he was reacting to the offense, instead of jumping in and making plays.

I need to rewatch the game to have a reaction to the offense. First reaction - LT is sort of where he was to begin last year. I need to see the game again to judge if the OL was not playing well enough in general. Seems like McNeil is still a little off, Anderson was able to get quite a few pressures on Rivers.

I felt a lot of that we can't chalk up on the O-Line. Granted there was a ton of pressure, and all that, and LT sure as hell got stuffed, but we have to give the credit to the Bears on that, there defense played outstanding. I trust our guys to rebound, and we did struggle a little, but that had to be expected.

San Diego Chicken
09-10-2007, 08:23 PM
What Average OT LB had said is that maybe he is being taught the wrong stuff. What bothered me in the presesaon was that same reaction, blanket defense in they key spots, where he was reacting to the offense, instead of jumping in and making plays.

I felt a lot of that we can't chalk up on the O-Line. Granted there was a ton of pressure, and all that, and LT sure as hell got stuffed, but we have to give the credit to the Bears on that, there defense played outstanding. I trust our guys to rebound, and we did struggle a little, but that had to be expected.

Yeah, I think the Bears defense is a difficult matchup for our offense, so it was expected. You have easily the fastest front 7 in the NFL vs. a big, physical offensive line. More times than not, the defense is going to win that battle. Not to say our offensive personnel is slow, but they rely more on power. I think on Sunday we should be able to do better against a slower front 7 (remember no Seymour).

The key to the game was our defense meeting that challenge and forcing it's will on the Bears offense. That was a big advantage for the Chargers. We didn't have our usual pile of sacks, but the Bears rely very heavily on the run to win games, and we shut that down and forced them to fumble the ball.

CC.SD
09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Has Tomlinson officially thrown for more TDs in his career than Ryan Leaf yet?

He's actually only halfway there. Leaf was pretty productive!

JK17
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Alright so does anyone else think LT made a mistake in going after the Pats? I mean, I'm not neccesarily disagreeing wtih him, but iwth how upset everyone got iwth Urlacher's comments on Merriman, this has to be a huge mistake with waht he said.

JK17
09-14-2007, 04:31 PM
So, there hasn't been much activity in here lately....and with the biggest, spare the Super Bowl ;), game of the year coming up, how do you guys feel?

It's in New England, with a team that I imagine will be rallied around trying to get a convincing win to erase any doubts they have....who do you feel has more of a mental edge, us looking for revenge, or them looking to justify their status?

sdpads24
09-15-2007, 02:06 AM
The level of intensity should be up at the level of the typical Raiders Week, but as recently discovered in the Patriots and Jets game last weekend, not only are the Patriots bad winners, they are damn dirty cheaters. But let’s be honest, the Boltz D is a hell of a lot better than the Jets. Pretty Boy is going to feel a ton of pressure and he won’t know the Defense’s play before the snap. Pats won’t be able to run the ball, so the Boltz need to keep an eye and double team Moss. Better yet, bury that son of a biitch in the ground before he has a chance to throw. Expect another good week of football from the chargers.

JK17
09-16-2007, 10:17 PM
So. There's no hiding from it. We got our ******* asses kicked tonight.

There's nothing to do now but work our way back up. The secondary sucked, the run defense had no heart at the end, and again, we can't do anything in the first half.

I'm not giving up on the season we lost to a great team, as much as it hurts to say that. We will rebound. We'll leave September 3-1. Hopefully we can ******* find some emotion or rallying cry to feel good about this season.

SuperKevin
09-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I just hope ticket prices drop soon so I can go to a game this year

sdpads24
09-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Well there aren't any other words to describe this game besides that it sucked. We did absolutely nothing right. We looked like the Bears did when we played them except that our defense sucked too. Hopefully we can get that game out of our system and it can be the wake up call that this team needed. Is it just me or does Norv Turner seem like the mirror image of Mike Riley? Hopefully the whole situation won't turn out like that.

San Diego Chicken
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I pin the loss on the secondary and defensive coaching. Those were some of the worst zones I've ever seen. The Chargers in general cannot play zone defense whatsoever, which is really sad. I also question why LT isn't being used more in the passing game like we were promised, especially on the series after the Osgood strip. After that first sack, 2nd and 20. Best play to run in that situation is a screen pass, to get to a more manageable third down. Instead, Turner calls another 7 step drop, Rivers gets sacked again, 3rd and 30, for all intents and purposes game over. Even if all of the above are corrected, the Chargers still probably lose to the Patriots, because they dominated the trenches, but the score is at least much closer.

Average OT LB
09-18-2007, 12:24 PM
IMO i feel rivers lost the game.. I was talkin to my friend and he disagreed whole-heartedly.. but aside from the defense which was dissmal at best, we could of at least won a shootout like that browns/cincy game. Anyone who watched the game saw LT running effectively at times in the first half and then get stuffed- a typical LT game. Why did he not finish with typical LT numbers? I think its all on rivers.

Let me point out that rivers is currently sporting a 33 passer rating in the first half so far this season.. and that we currently have no first half pts this season..

here are some stats so make your own decision about them... he had a few big passes that helped his statline but didnt really move the ball (7 passes 10-25 yards) including getting sacked for 10 yards 3 times and throwing 2 interceptions that were extremely foolish.. rivers was directly responsible for 17 points of the patriots 24 first half points, he was not a factor in the opening drive that lead to a touchdown..(summary: 1 int returned for td, 1 int at our 25 yard line.. one fumble at patriots 30, lead to pats fg) The Chargers had 53 passing yards and 3 TO's in the first half.. all rivers..HOWEVER .. he accounted for 10 first downs opposed to 3 rushing first downs.. the chargers passing offense finished the second half with 96 passing yards and two touchdowns.. but zero turnovers so hey!

IMO i feel that rivers inability to throw the short routes hurt the teams ability to drive and hurt the offenses prestige becasue the pats did not respect rivers enough to try and stop the pass.. when LT cant run the ball because there is no where to go, there have got to be openings to throw. He has not shown the ability to read defenses.. as he cannot audible very well at all, and tends to throw to his first option nearly every throw (as evidenced by his 2 ints) .. He is benefitting from the talent around him and while some may say hes a great second half player and player in the clutch- i would counter with his ****** first halfs are bad enough to lose games, and second half stats only mean something when theres a W in the column.

JK17
09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
IMO i feel rivers lost the game.. I was talkin to my friend and he disagreed whole-heartedly.. but aside from the defense which was dissmal at best, we could of at least won a shootout like that browns/cincy game. Anyone who watched the game saw LT running effectively at times in the first half and then get stuffed- a typical LT game. Why did he not finish with typical LT numbers? I think its all on rivers.

Let me point out that rivers is currently sporting a 33 passer rating in the first half so far this season.. and that we currently have no first half pts this season..

here are some stats so make your own decision about them... he had a few big passes that helped his statline but didnt really move the ball (7 passes 10-25 yards) including getting sacked for 10 yards 3 times and throwing 2 interceptions that were extremely foolish.. rivers was directly responsible for 17 points of the patriots 24 first half points, he was not a factor in the opening drive that lead to a touchdown..(summary: 1 int returned for td, 1 int at our 25 yard line.. one fumble at patriots 30, lead to pats fg) The Chargers had 53 passing yards and 3 TO's in the first half.. all rivers..HOWEVER .. he accounted for 10 first downs opposed to 3 rushing first downs.. the chargers passing offense finished the second half with 96 passing yards and two touchdowns.. but zero turnovers so hey!

IMO i feel that rivers inability to throw the short routes hurt the teams ability to drive and hurt the offenses prestige becasue the pats did not respect rivers enough to try and stop the pass.. when LT cant run the ball because there is no where to go, there have got to be openings to throw. He has not shown the ability to read defenses.. as he cannot audible very well at all, and tends to throw to his first option nearly every throw (as evidenced by his 2 ints) .. He is benefitting from the talent around him and while some may say hes a great second half player and player in the clutch- i would counter with his ****** first halfs are bad enough to lose games, and second half stats only mean something when theres a W in the column.

Rivers' struggles had nothing to do with Tomlinson faltering. The O-Line not blocking well is what effected LT's struggles. No one played great in that game, Rivers included. But what's the difference in saying that Tomlinson's inability to run, or the O-Lines inability to block is what caused Rivers to play poor.

Everyone's equally responsible, not one player or part of this team is the reason another part did bad. I think where we gave up the game is abandoning the run after the fumble recovery though. We have it on their thirty yardline, down 17 with time to go. We can go to the run there, and be effective. But the O-Line didn't protect well, Rivers' didnt get rid of it fast enough, and we took ourselves out of a running situation.

The bottomline though is that its not one players' fault we lost this game.

Average OT LB
09-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Rivers' struggles had nothing to do with Tomlinson faltering. The O-Line not blocking well is what effected LT's struggles. No one played great in that game, Rivers included. But what's the difference in saying that Tomlinson's inability to run, or the O-Lines inability to block is what caused Rivers to play poor.

Everyone's equally responsible, not one player or part of this team is the reason another part did bad. I think where we gave up the game is abandoning the run after the fumble recovery though. We have it on their thirty yardline, down 17 with time to go. We can go to the run there, and be effective. But the O-Line didn't protect well, Rivers' didnt get rid of it fast enough, and we took ourselves out of a running situation.

The bottomline though is that its not one players' fault we lost this game.

sothis kind of beckons the argument is the quarterback more important then the rest of the players. I think it is. Your quarterback can single handedly win you a game or take you out of it. there wee no dropped passes.. which is to say rivers did his best. his best forced us to lose. There is no way we could have won the game with rivers playing as badly as it did.

So if you ask me if theyplayers all did badly I would agree.

A cornerback cant really go out and win a game for you. Neither can a LT. a WR might- but he needs a good QB. It all starts there.

San Diego Chicken
09-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Rivers does need to figure out why he cannot play quality football in the first half of games. He needs to change his pregame routines, something. Turner also must call plays that gets him into a rhythm early. Rivers did much better in the second half, but the game was almost completely out of hand by then. That long drive to start the third quarter was a solid drive, Rivers was money on third down throughout that drive, but again it was meaningless at that point.

Average OT LB
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
This upcoming week we got the packers and there are a few things im gonna wanna watch for.. ill list stuff in order of importance, feel free to add a list as well..

1. Can rivers handle the blitz
2. Will the defense stop the pass
3. Can craig davis produce
4. Will we play effectively in the first half
5. Show me something D-line
6. Eric Weddle?

San Diego Chicken
09-20-2007, 05:54 PM
This upcoming week we got the packers and there are a few things im gonna wanna watch for.. ill list stuff in order of importance, feel free to add a list as well..

6. Eric Weddle?

And if all of the above fail, does LT put the cape on and save the day, like he has done so many other times in the past? This isn't a must-win or anything yet... but it's a game the Chargers (and their coaches) should expect them to win. If Turner & co. can't live up to our expectations, and AJ's, the heat will rise considerably.

sdpads24
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I also think we need to get Micheal Turner more carries. I would like to see some two RB slots with both of them in the backfield.

GB12
09-20-2007, 07:41 PM

6. Eric Weddle?

1. We really haven't blitzed much. Our Dline penetrates well so we've been relying on pressure from the front 4.
2. If you can shutdown Driver you have a good chance. Jennings is still uncertain and James Jones hurt his hamstring so he might not be 100%.
3. With Harris and Woodson I think we'll shutdown your passing game pretty well. Gates is the only one that concerns me. Woodson definitely overmatches Craig Davis.
4. I expect a slow start for both teams
5. Our OL has played very poorly for some reason after a good first year in the system., and niether of those teams defense matched the Chargers. I think it really depends on how effective Williams can be with the injury.
6. Is he starting?

sdpads24
09-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Williams hasn't missed any practice time so I don't think his injury is as big of a deal as all the packer fans are making out to being.

Average OT LB
09-23-2007, 12:19 AM
1. We really haven't blitzed much. Our Dline penetrates well so we've been relying on pressure from the front 4.
2. If you can shutdown Driver you have a good chance. Jennings is still uncertain and James Jones hurt his hamstring so he might not be 100%.
3. With Harris and Woodson I think we'll shutdown your passing game pretty well. Gates is the only one that concerns me. Woodson definitely overmatches Craig Davis.
4. I expect a slow start for both teams
5. Our OL has played very poorly for some reason after a good first year in the system., and niether of those teams defense matched the Chargers. I think it really depends on how effective Williams can be with the injury.
6. Is he starting?

no he isnt starting .. he hardly plays and when he does he blitzes or just doesnt make an impact whatsoever.. this could be his coming out party or it could be another long day for hart and co

sdpads24
09-23-2007, 03:00 PM
What an embarrassing loss. Say goodbye to norv

bantx
09-23-2007, 03:03 PM
wow was LT involved in anyway??????

sdpads24
09-23-2007, 03:08 PM
wow was LT involved in anyway??????

Probably not enough as usual, but he was shut out. Our pass offense was working so we just went with it.

bantx
09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
we still need to get him involved in some way

JK17
09-23-2007, 03:35 PM
This is just terrible. That secondary looks like a pop warner team. Rivers finally played well, great even, and our defense can't stop the Packers offense. Embarassing, again.

sdpads24
09-23-2007, 03:37 PM
KC won today also so next week certainly won't be a ''gimme'' game.

princefielder28
09-23-2007, 03:39 PM
What an embarrassing loss. Say goodbye to norv

San Diego should have never said hello

VoteLynnSwan
09-23-2007, 03:41 PM
and congrats to Norv Turner for ruining another NFL franchise.

Average OT LB
09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
unfortunately i was unable to watch the game but i followed closely on gamecasts and stuff like that.. everybody messed up but rivers the whole game, but yet somehow it was close.. then rivers messed up the most on one play hwne he threw the pick that ended the game.. nice play!

JK17
09-23-2007, 07:47 PM
unfortunately i was unable to watch the game but i followed closely on gamecasts and stuff like that.. everybody messed up but rivers the whole game, but yet somehow it was close.. then rivers messed up the most on one play hwne he threw the pick that ended the game.. nice play!

Rivers hardly messed up the most out of anyone. Like you said you didn't watched the game. Rivers and his receivers played amazing, the offense, although without much LT, finally had rythm. Rivers made one bad throw, that doesn't eclipse an entire game of suckiness out of the d-backs. We were losing going into that drive anyway, because of just how bad the secondary played.

GB12
09-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Tomlinson's about due to break out of this. Luckily for you it's KC next week, if he can't run on the Chiefs something is seriously wrong.

JK17
09-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Tomlinson's about due to break out of this. Luckily for you it's KC next week, if he can't run on the Chiefs something is seriously wrong.

Yeah, I mean he started out slow last year too...sort of. He'll snap out of it, he's still the best RB out there. The thing is Rivers needed to establish himself enough to take the eight men out of the box. Hopefully this game did that for him.

Congrats on the win by the way. God this game better not come back to bite us in the ass come playoff time.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Rivers hardly messed up the most out of anyone. Like you said you didn't watched the game. Rivers and his receivers played amazing, the offense, although without much LT, finally had rythm. Rivers made one bad throw, that doesn't eclipse an entire game of suckiness out of the d-backs. We were losing going into that drive anyway, because of just how bad the secondary played.

a little harsh there my friend, im simply a fellow charger fan trying to get his opinion out there.. if you disagree then fine but there is no right answer.. besides i have good reason to believe that at least 25% of people would agree with my point of view.. so it cant be so ridiculous now can it?

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
KC won today also so next week certainly won't be a ''gimme'' game.

the embarressing thing is that anyone can beat us now.. LJ hasnt done anything this season but were letting people run all over us so say LJ has a good game.. and since were horrible at pass defense huard will be at least okay.. and now everyone knows all you gotta do is put 8 guys in the box and force rivers to win the game.. and we know how (not) good he is at that..

JK17
09-24-2007, 11:00 AM
a little harsh there my friend, im simply a fellow charger fan trying to get his opinion out there.. if you disagree then fine but there is no right answer.. besides i have good reason to believe that at least 25% of people would agree with my point of view.. so it cant be so ridiculous now can it?

I don't think 25% of people would say Rivers lost us that game, but fine. It's not like I was attacking you anyway, so relax, I was just pointing out, like you yourself said, you did not watch the game. Rivers didn't lose it, not one person loses the ultimate team game. Especially the one who had the best day out of everyone, maybe next to Gates.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't think 25% of people would say Rivers lost us that game, but fine. It's not like I was attacking you anyway, so relax, I was just pointing out, like you yourself said, you did not watch the game. Rivers didn't lose it, not one person loses the ultimate team game. Especially the one who had the best day out of everyone, maybe next to Gates.

whoa calm down man its just a forum of opinion.. the 25% is accurate, because i took a survey on chargers.com.. now the information can be skewed either way as it is just a stat, but its not silly to think it if 1/4 of the people who love the chargers mustered up the courage to call out rivers..

JK17
09-24-2007, 02:32 PM
whoa calm down man its just a forum of opinion.. the 25% is accurate, because i took a survey on chargers.com.. now the information can be skewed either way as it is just a stat, but its not silly to think it if 1/4 of the people who love the chargers mustered up the courage to call out rivers..

Hey man, I'm calm, and I think everyone here knows that. But I found your thread.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=45614&page=2

First of all, I can't stand those forums. There are some knowledgeable posters, but for the most part, it's filled with some of the worst fair weather fans I've seen in my life. In the offseason apparently we were unbeatable and Gods. Now 3 games in, everyone on that forum has created about 20 threads saying how doomed we are. There needs to be more rational fans over there.

That being said, your argument was not 25% of rational fans will agree that Rivers, but just 25% in general, including some who don't know much about football. Well, that poll is back under 20% saying Rivers was to blame for the loss (19.3%). In addition, if you read through that thread, nearly every single poster, even those who I'm sure have been critical of Rivers in the past, agrees he is not to blame for the loss.

In addition, there is another thread on that site, http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=45668, whcih has the percentage of those blaming rivers at 4.95%. That is lower even, then people on there felt Tomlinson deserved the blame for. Which is all besides the point because less than 25% of even fair weather fans would blame Rivers.

Now anyways, the next most importnat thing to determine here would be your logic in saying Rivers lost the game. You say he lost it because he threw the game losing INT. My friend, we were already losing at that point. We were down in the game, becuase of how badly and poorly are defense played. In saying Rivers lost the game, you are assuming we would otherwise have scored on that drive. Why might you assume that, aside from the fact of how well Rivers had played already in that game....How do you pin a loss on him, when we already down when he threw the interception. The only reason we were close was because of how well he and Gates played together.

Also, using this logic that one player is solely responsible for a win or loss, would the runningback, who has played poorly all game, yet scores a TD in the last second on a two yard run be responsible for the win, despite a poor performance the rest of the game? It's never just one guy, especially the guy who played the best on the team.

Rivers threw an interception that stopped our possible game winning/tying drive. The coaches, defense, and run game lost the game for us.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Hey man, I'm calm, and I think everyone here knows that. But I found your thread.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=45614&page=2

First of all, I can't stand those forums. There are some knowledgeable posters, but for the most part, it's filled with some of the worst fair weather fans I've seen in my life. In the offseason apparently we were unbeatable and Gods. Now 3 games in, everyone on that forum has created about 20 threads saying how doomed we are. There needs to be more rational fans over there.

That being said, your argument was not 25% of rational fans will agree that Rivers, but just 25% in general, including some who don't know much about football. Well, that poll is back under 20% saying Rivers was to blame for the loss (19.3%). In addition, if you read through that thread, nearly every single poster, even those who I'm sure have been critical of Rivers in the past, agrees he is not to blame for the loss.

In addition, there is another thread on that site, http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=45668, whcih has the percentage of those blaming rivers at 4.95%. That is lower even, then people on there felt Tomlinson deserved the blame for. Which is all besides the point because less than 25% of even fair weather fans would blame Rivers.

Now anyways, the next most importnat thing to determine here would be your logic in saying Rivers lost the game. You say he lost it because he threw the game losing INT. My friend, we were already losing at that point. We were down in the game, becuase of how badly and poorly are defense played. In saying Rivers lost the game, you are assuming we would otherwise have scored on that drive. Why might you assume that, aside from the fact of how well Rivers had played already in that game....How do you pin a loss on him, when we already down when he threw the interception. The only reason we were close was because of how well he and Gates played together.

Also, using this logic that one player is solely responsible for a win or loss, would the runningback, who has played poorly all game, yet scores a TD in the last second on a two yard run be responsible for the win, despite a poor performance the rest of the game? It's never just one guy, especially the guy who played the best on the team.

Rivers threw an interception that stopped our possible game winning/tying drive. The coaches, defense, and run game lost the game for us.

so yeah as usual your twisting stuff its okay .. ill untwist it..

the 20% still envokes a reasonable theory that what i was saying makes sense..

the 5% is because there were about 5 choices and 2 were very popular because it blamed like .. the coaching staff.. if given middle ground people do not want to choose sides but would rather feel more comfertable chosing a little of both.. so basically that entire poll was busted, especially since one of the leading vote getters was 'blame it on kaeding like everything else'..

and they're fairweather fans sure, i doubt they all fall under that category seeing as how its got like 1,000 people online everyday and how a very large population.. with many different views..

and yes my logic is that one person can lose a game. I think its a common one taken by sports casters and writers.. like ive been saying did romo lose that game on his one play? yes he did.. so its possible sure.. not silly whatsover

plus where were we on our 40? is it not safe to say that our offense could go another few first downs and at least kick a fg? not at all, but river didnt give us that chance..

JK17
09-24-2007, 03:04 PM
so yeah as usual your twisting stuff its okay .. ill untwist it..

I don't think I skewed or twisted numbers or sayings any more then you did. As usual? Please.

the 20% still envokes a reasonable theory that what i was saying makes sense..

It's also 5% less then what you had originally said. It's also not guaranteed to be knowledgeable fans whatsoever. You're assuming everyone's vote should matter the same on this subject, which I don't buy into. Some people watch games much more closely then others. I'm not sounding self-righteous here, I don't think I pay more attention then you, or anyone else. It's not directed as a me, you, or any poster on here site. But you should know as well as I do, that at least 1 out of 5 fans knows jackshit about football games, or watches them remotely closely enough to be able to know who won and lost it. You're also assuming in that poll, there is no trolling or biased fans. How many San Diego fans wanted Brees to stay in SD? How many think he is AJ's boy, and would take anything that suggests Marty was right, like keeping Brees over Rivers, to use against him?

the 5% is because there were about 5 choices and 2 were very popular because it blamed like .. the coaching staff.. if given middle ground people do not want to choose sides but would rather feel more comfertable chosing a little of both.. so basically that entire poll was busted, especially since one of the leading vote getters was 'blame it on kaeding like everything else'..

I would still put more stock in that poll then I would the one you created. You said, Rivers was to blame for the loss. That poll listed every possible person to blame for the loss. How could a poll like that, with an overwhelming majority saying the blame is on the coaches or defense, be any more biased then a poll that says Blame Rivers or no? That one would be more accurate in my opinion. Only 1 out of 20 people thought Rivers was more to blame that anyone else.

and they're fairweather fans sure, i doubt they all fall under that category seeing as how its got like 1,000 people online everyday and how a very large population.. with many different views..

Yes, but most of the "regular" posters, if you read through the thread, think its ridiculous that Rivers gets the blame for it. And many, many, many of those people are fairweather fans. Hell, most San Diego fans in general are.

and yes my logic is that one person can lose a game. I think its a common one taken by sports casters and writers.. like ive been saying did romo lose that game on his one play? yes he did.. so its possible sure.. not silly whatsover

I'm not dumb, I can see the logic that its easier for one person to blow a game rather then win it. I don't buy into it though. First of all, that doens't even apply in this situation. The odds of us driving 40 more yards on a good Packers Defense is much less then Romo holding a snap for 20 yard field goal. But even so, lets change the situation here. Cromarite let up the touchdown that gave the Packers the lead. He was beat on a simple slant route, didn't wrap up, and Driver(?) made him look like a little *****. How is he, the guy who let up the winning touchdown, less to blame, then Rivers, who played great all game, and threw a pic trying to come back?

plus where were we on our 40? is it not safe to say that our offense could go another few first downs and at least kick a fg? not at all, but river didnt give us that chance..

I think it was closer to the 30, but still. It's a strong assumption that, in about a minute and a half, against a good defense, that we could have done that. It was a comeback opportunity, it wans't like Rivers threw a pick that led to the go ahead touchdown. He threw a pick after the defense already blew it. If this were to go on one person, it goes on Cromartie. He didn't give us a chacne to keep the lead.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't think I skewed or twisted numbers or sayings any more then you did. As usual? Please.

It's also 5% less then what you had originally said. It's also not guaranteed to be knowledgeable fans whatsoever. You're assuming everyone's vote should matter the same on this subject, which I don't buy into. Some people watch games much more closely then others. I'm not sounding self-righteous here, I don't think I pay more attention then you, or anyone else. It's not directed as a me, you, or any poster on here site. But you should know as well as I do, that at least 1 out of 5 fans knows jackshit about football games, or watches them remotely closely enough to be able to know who won and lost it. You're also assuming in that poll, there is no trolling or biased fans. How many San Diego fans wanted Brees to stay in SD? How many think he is AJ's boy, and would take anything that suggests Marty was right, like keeping Brees over Rivers, to use against him?

thats kidna like saying only 1/5 people really know what they're voting for when they vote for the president.. does that mean their votes shouldnt count? I just took the american approach, sorry for being a patriot.. lol

I would still put more stock in that poll then I would the one you created. You said, Rivers was to blame for the loss. That poll listed every possible person to blame for the loss. How could a poll like that, with an overwhelming majority saying the blame is on the coaches or defense, be any more biased then a poll that says Blame Rivers or no? That one would be more accurate in my opinion. Only 1 out of 20 people thought Rivers was more to blame that anyone else.

I had JUST answered that.. to review: there was an easy answer or 2 blaming it on everyone so there was an overload of votes there, plus there were votes on kaeding ruins everything!! how is that credible?! i at least asked a yes or no question, with no wiggle room whatsoever..

Yes, but most of the "regular" posters, if you read through the thread, think its ridiculous that Rivers gets the blame for it. And many, many, many of those people are fairweather fans. Hell, most San Diego fans in general are.

um, there were something like 75 votes and about 15 responses not counting my own.. PLUS seeing as how 25% of people saw it my way, i think that was reflected in how people responded.. thas kinda a no brainer

I'm not dumb, I can see the logic that its easier for one person to blow a game rather then win it. I don't buy into it though. First of all, that doens't even apply in this situation. The odds of us driving 40 more yards on a good Packers Defense is much less then Romo holding a snap for 20 yard field goal. But even so, lets change the situation here. Cromarite let up the touchdown that gave the Packers the lead. He was beat on a simple slant route, didn't wrap up, and Driver(?) made him look like a little *****. How is he, the guy who let up the winning touchdown, less to blame, then Rivers, who played great all game, and threw a pic trying to come back?

no your not dumb ill never say that.. blaming it on cromatie isnt a bad idea, i just think that despite all that we still had a chance and blew it on one play. Plus cro got beat and then driver split 2 defender and outraced everyone else, plus it looked like a soft zone, its not like he got beat deap but instaed crossing his zone into others-- very similar to how weddle was getting beat all preseason but you never mentioned that.. how odd..

I think it was closer to the 30, but still. It's a strong assumption that, in about a minute and a half, against a good defense, that we could have done that. It was a comeback opportunity, it wans't like Rivers threw a pick that led to the go ahead touchdown. He threw a pick after the defense already blew it. If this were to go on one person, it goes on Cromartie. He didn't give us a chacne to keep the lead.

yeah you make it look like we had no chance to go 30 yards or so, you must have real confidence in the chargers..despite your pickin on my lack of confidence for rivers.. hypocritcial much?

JK17
09-24-2007, 03:29 PM
thats kidna like saying only 1/5 people really know what they're voting for when they vote for the president.. does that mean their votes shouldnt count? I just took the american approach, sorry for being a patriot.. lol

Well I didn't want to bring politics into the matter. But voicing an uninformed opinion about a football game is different then having the right to choose who leads your country. And you better be sorry for associating yourself with anything related to the Patriots, whether its meant that way or not ;)

I had JUST answered that.. to review: there was an easy answer or 2 blaming it on everyone so there was an overload of votes there, plus there were votes on kaeding ruins everything!! how is that credible?! i at least asked a yes or no question, with no wiggle room whatsoever..

Yeah you asked a question whether its Rivers fault or not. I'm no psychology expert, but its a lot easier to blame that one guy you mentioned rather then think about who actulaly might have been at fault. Throw out the Kaeding votes if you want. It's still overwhelmingly not saying Rivers deserves the blame. You can't just throw something out because it got a majority of votes (The coaching, not Kaeding), thats ridiculous!

um, there were something like 75 votes and about 15 responses not counting my own.. PLUS seeing as how 25% of people saw it my way, i think that was reflected in how people responded.. thas kinda a no brainer

Well no, like was said before, it was under 20%, though 25 does make it look better for you. And the people who can actually back up their opinion in post form, rather then clicking a simple button, generally have a better argument. Not one person who would say Rivers lost the game had a post to say anything about it.

no your not dumb ill never say that.. blaming it on cromatie isnt a bad idea, i just think that despite all that we still had a chance and blew it on one play. Plus cro got beat and then driver split 2 defender and outraced everyone else, plus it looked like a soft zone, its not like he got beat deap but instaed crossing his zone into others-- very similar to how weddle was getting beat all preseason but you never mentioned that.. how odd..

You still don't explain why he is any less to blame? Cromartie got beat and missed the tackle that resulted in the touchdown. If you're gonna say that, then why not say after Rivers pick, no one tackled the guy at the 45 yard line, and stopped them from scoring. Had we done that, who knows maybe we tie it? Obviosuly I don't believe thats a probability, but there's still a chance it could have been done. You said we still had a chance despite all that. Well, when we were winning, we still had a big chance too, then Cromarite blew that. I say no one player gets the blame, but if they do, how in the world is it not him? Rivers had us in a situation to win the game already, and then Cro blew it.

yeah you make it look like we had no chance to go 30 yards or so, you must have real confidence in the chargers..despite your pickin on my lack of confidence for rivers.. hypocritcial much?

Except I'm not making it sound like that. I'm saying it would have been difficult. I'm also saying it didn't happen, and shouldn't have mattered if it did. If the game were coached better, or played defense better, we wouldn't have to worry about that. I'm hardly doubting Rivers ability to do it, and I hardly picked on your lack of confidence. It's more your lack of a sound, reasonable argument I have a problem with.

But I could be wrong, does anyone else have anything to say? Chargers fans? Non-Chargers fans?

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Well I didn't want to bring politics into the matter. But voicing an uninformed opinion about a football game is different then having the right to choose who leads your country. And you better be sorry for associating yourself with anything related to the Patriots, whether its meant that way or not ;)

nah its okay, im not afriad to let anybody know im american, you communist.

Yeah you asked a question whether its Rivers fault or not. I'm no psychology expert, but its a lot easier to blame that one guy you mentioned rather then think about who actulaly might have been at fault. Throw out the Kaeding votes if you want. It's still overwhelmingly not saying Rivers deserves the blame. You can't just throw something out because it got a majority of votes (The coaching, not Kaeding), thats ridiculous!

well thats the point, you just twisted it. It was a yes or no about rivers, thats was the whole point. Which is why the other poll doesnt make sense because its asking about blame in general. Remember it was my friend who called it ridiculous that i blamed it on rivers. it was my friend who called me an idiot and said he lost all respect for my football knowledge, because i found it credible to blame rivers. So i asked other people was it so insane.. and i found out it wasnt worth the harrassing i recieved...

Well no, like was said before, it was under 20%, though 25 does make it look better for you. And the people who can actually back up their opinion in post form, rather then clicking a simple button, generally have a better argument. Not one person who would say Rivers lost the game had a post to say anything about it.

um who says? that has absoluetly no statistical proof whatsoever. I have a feeling you feel so because perhaps you find that to be so in your personal experience, but that means nothing. Its one of your favorite pet peeves ive noticed so im slightly surprised you did it yourself -- make opinion fact.

You still don't explain why he is any less to blame? Cromartie got beat and missed the tackle that resulted in the touchdown. If you're gonna say that, then why not say after Rivers pick, no one tackled the guy at the 45 yard line, and stopped them from scoring. Had we done that, who knows maybe we tie it? Obviosuly I don't believe thats a probability, but there's still a chance it could have been done. You said we still had a chance despite all that. Well, when we were winning, we still had a big chance too, then Cromarite blew that. I say no one player gets the blame, but if they do, how in the world is it not him? Rivers had us in a situation to win the game already, and then Cro blew it.

actually i did explain why he was less to blame.. lets review... again.. it is my belief that jennings crossed from cromarties zone into anothers zone, and nobody was able to tackle him. Cromartie didnt do anything by himself, and despite his contribution to the loss, it was not as significant as rivers, since it did not result in a loss, only a blown lead. I know you dont call what rivers did lsoing, but isnt that kinda a cop out? he definitely didnt win the game, and im sure your not okay with losing, just because we were behind anyway.. Rivers mistake ultimately cost us the game, cromarites contribution only put us behind. theyre both bad... i liken it to a chess game.. cromartie lost our queen, rivers lost the king..

Except I'm not making it sound like that. I'm saying it would have been difficult. I'm also saying it didn't happen, and shouldn't have mattered if it did. If the game were coached better, or played defense better, we wouldn't have to worry about that. I'm hardly doubting Rivers ability to do it, and I hardly picked on your lack of confidence. It's more your lack of a sound, reasonable argument I have a problem with.

your not doubting rivers ability to win the game? what was all that talk about GB having a good defense and we might not have been able to score.. uncertaintly maybe? .............

your not picking on my lack of confidnence in rivers? whhhahattttt??? i think 20% of a few people i know think i have a good case btw.. but they're not credible because they're stupid homers i get it... they're not rational but you are.. thats fair.. but its also opinion not fact, because i feel they know alot about football, and in most cases are very rational. Dont cherry pick. Those fans are good people with real concerns. Maybe they know whats up and you dont. I'm not trying to say you dont know what your talking about, i know you, you clearly do. Ive just realized that there is now no doubt i have an arugment, but doubt in the people who allowed me to have an argument and i am therefore strengthen that weakness.

btw im no psycology major either, im interested in other peoples opinion too. Me and JK17 are obviously 100% different, and im curious to see if we have any 20%ers in this forum..

JK17
09-24-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm just going to keep it brief until other people weigh in on it, because right now we are hopelessly deadlocked.

well thats the point, you just twisted it. It was a yes or no about rivers, thats was the whole point. Which is why the other poll doesnt make sense because its asking about blame in general. Remember it was my friend who called it ridiculous that i blamed it on rivers. it was my friend who called me an idiot and said he lost all respect for my football knowledge, because i found it credible to blame rivers. So i asked other people was it so insane.. and i found out it wasnt worth the harrassing i recieved...

Personally, I think people are more likely to blame Rivers in a yes/no situation, then it is to pick him out of a lineup of all possible outcomes. I think its more of a statistics question, or psychology. One makes you think more about the game in a whole.

um who says? that has absoluetly no statistical proof whatsoever. I have a feeling you feel so because perhaps you find that to be so in your personal experience, but that means nothing. Its one of your favorite pet peeves ive noticed so im slightly surprised you did it yourself -- make opinion fact.

No its not definite, it is my opinion. If I had to say I think before everything I post it would get very repetitive.

actually i did explain why he was less to blame.. lets review... again.. it is my belief that jennings crossed from cromarties zone into anothers zone, and nobody was able to tackle him. Cromartie didnt do anything by himself, and despite his contribution to the loss, it was not as significant as rivers, since it did not result in a loss, only a blown lead. I know you dont call what rivers did lsoing, but isnt that kinda a cop out? he definitely didnt win the game, and im sure your not okay with losing, just because we were behind anyway.. Rivers mistake ultimately cost us the game, cromarites contribution only put us behind. theyre both bad... i liken it to a chess game.. cromartie lost our queen, rivers lost the king..

You explained it, it just doesn't seem to add up. Cromarite let up the game winning touchdown. That should be the end all to who deserves more blame. You talk about the other people on the field, but Rivers wasn't the only one out there when he threw the INT. Both he and Cro were the main one's responsible for their play, but just like other peopel could have tackled the receiver, other people could have made a better attempt at the catch, or tackled the linebacker. Cro lost all our pieces, and Rivers had no choice but to get us in check.

your not doubting rivers ability to win the game? what was all that talk about GB having a good defense and we might not have been able to score.. uncertaintly maybe? .............

I'm not doubting Rivers' ability. I'm just saying he wasn't put in a great situation. I think he could have easily led us down the field. But its not a guarantee he would have. It was never a guarantee Elway would have, and he's the comeback kid.

your not picking on my lack of confidnence in rivers? whhhahattttt??? i think 20% of a few people i know think i have a good case btw.. but they're not credible because they're stupid homers i get it... they're not rational but you are.. thats fair.. but its also opinion not fact, because i feel they know alot about football, and in most cases are very rational. Dont cherry pick. Those fans are good people with real concerns. Maybe they know whats up and you dont. I'm not trying to say you dont know what your talking about, i know you, you clearly do. Ive just realized that there is now no doubt i have an arugment, but doubt in the people who allowed me to have an argument and i am therefore strengthen that weakness.

I'm not trying to say I know more then anyone else, I said that before. I would say though, that at least 1/5 fans don't know what they are talking about. So if we're going to argue statistics, my opinion, is that its very possible the people who agree with you could be very wrong.

btw im no psycology major either, im interested in other peoples opinion too. Me and JK17 are obviously 100% different, and im curious to see if we have any 20%ers in this forum..

Me too.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
You explained it, it just doesn't seem to add up. Cromarite let up the game winning touchdown. That should be the end all to who deserves more blame. You talk about the other people on the field, but Rivers wasn't the only one out there when he threw the INT. Both he and Cro were the main one's responsible for their play, but just like other peopel could have tackled the receiver, other people could have made a better attempt at the catch, or tackled the linebacker. Cro lost all our pieces, and Rivers had no choice but to get us in check.

this seems to be the only thing left to dispute.. Cromartie, did not let up the winnng touchdown. That would mean that he would have to have had lone coverage, fell down or got beat down the sidelines. But thtas not the case! he got beat over the middle!! the middle!! how on earth is it only his fault if like 5 guys had a shot at him. plus if they're playin zone which i think we can agree they were, (but ive been wrong before) then is his zone just driver cause im sure its not on the far side and the middle..

Rivers however is the only one to blame for his INT.

In game winning situation if a fg kicker misses a 30 yarder, its all his fault. If a rb fumbles at the goaline its all his fault. If a qb throws a pick, its all his fault. Thats my opinion. Its not yours. Your opinion IS it wasnt the kickers fault the team shouldnt have been in that situation. It wasnt the running backs fault it was the play calling. It wasnt the qbs fault, the defense gave up too many points..

we may never agree, i just think its makes much more sense to pinpoint the mistake that lead to a loss, as the reason they lost the game. I am not however saying that its impossible to have a team loss..

JK17
09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
this seems to be the only thing left to dispute.. Cromartie, did not let up the winnng touchdown. That would mean that he would have to have had lone coverage, fell down or got beat down the sidelines. But thtas not the case! he got beat over the middle!! the middle!! how on earth is it only his fault if like 5 guys had a shot at him. plus if they're playin zone which i think we can agree they were, (but ive been wrong before) then is his zone just driver cause im sure its not on the far side and the middle..

Rivers however is the only one to blame for his INT.

In game winning situation if a fg kicker misses a 30 yarder, its all his fault. If a rb fumbles at the goaline its all his fault. If a qb throws a pick, its all his fault. Thats my opinion. Its not yours. Your opinion IS it wasnt the kickers fault the team shouldnt have been in that situation. It wasnt the running backs fault it was the play calling. It wasnt the qbs fault, the defense gave up too many points..

we may never agree, i just think its makes much more sense to pinpoint the mistake that lead to a loss, as the reason they lost the game. I am not however saying that its impossible to have a team loss..

Which is why, like I said, its not on just one player. The defense let up that touchdown. They are to blame for the loss.

If a kicker misses a chip shot, its his fault he didnt make it. Rivers threw the pick, its his fault he did. But its the teams fault they lost the game. Especially since the defense had already lost the game before he got the ball.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Which is why, like I said, its not on just one player. The defense let up that touchdown. They are to blame for the loss.

If a kicker misses a chip shot, its his fault he didnt make it. Rivers threw the pick, its his fault he did. But its the teams fault they lost the game. Especially since the defense had already lost the game before he got the ball.

so you went in a different direction then my qeustion was intended to go..

i clearly said i feel that if a kicker misses a chip shot its his fault we LOST in addition to that he didnt make it.. so lemme ask...

down by 1 00:01 seconds left on the clock.. kicker shanks a 40 yarder.. is it his fault the team lost or no?

JK17
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
so you went in a different direction then my qeustion was intended to go..

i clearly said i feel that if a kicker misses a chip shot its his fault we LOST in addition to that he didnt make it.. so lemme ask...

down by 1 00:01 seconds left on the clock.. kicker shanks a 40 yarder.. is it his fault the team lost or no?

Like I said. It's his fault he missed the kick. It's his bad play. The rest of the team had bad plays too. Why was the game so close in the first place? Everyone ****** up at some point. It just means hes not clutch.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Like I said. It's his fault he missed the kick. It's his bad play. The rest of the team had bad plays too. Why was the game so close in the first place? Everyone ****** up at some point. It just means hes not clutch.

veryyy interesting.. did romo lose the game on that one play or was it the team, and he shouldnt have been in that situation?

i know ive asked before, but i dont remember an answer plsu its the next step..

JK17
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
veryyy interesting.. did romo lose the game on that one play or was it the team, and he shouldnt have been in that situation?

i know ive asked before, but i dont remember an answer plsu its the next step..

Romo didn't lose the game on that one play. How clear do you want me to make what I've been saying in every post. The entire team, made a bad play at some point in that game. Someone got beat for a touchdown. Someone dropped a pass. He made his bad play there. It happened to be more costly. He didn't blow the game though, the team was in a bad spot.

But trying to relate this game to Romo's game is just changing the topic. Rivers didn't blow that game, and if anyone is bothering to read this and thinks so, step up and say so. I'm open to being proven wrong but I haven't seen anything that should do that yet.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Romo didn't lose the game on that one play. How clear do you want me to make what I've been saying in every post. The entire team, made a bad play at some point in that game. Someone got beat for a touchdown. Someone dropped a pass. He made his bad play there. It happened to be more costly. He didn't blow the game though, the team was in a bad spot.

But trying to relate this game to Romo's game is just changing the topic. Rivers didn't blow that game, and if anyone is bothering to read this and thinks so, step up and say so. I'm open to being proven wrong but I haven't seen anything that should do that yet.

see thats the big point.. i kinda wanna yell it out loud.. you think romo didnt lose that game thats outrageous.. rivers and romo is the same thing in my opinion just one was alot worse..

lol i really cant belive you honestly think romo didnt lose the game on that one play.. thats silly, i lost all respect for you .. jk..

JK17
09-24-2007, 08:55 PM
see thats the big point.. i kinda wanna yell it out loud.. you think romo didnt lose that game thats outrageous.. rivers and romo is the same thing in my opinion just one was alot worse..

lol i really cant belive you honestly think romo didnt lose the game on that one play.. thats silly, i lost all respect for you .. jk..

First of all Rivers and Romo were in two different situations. One was literally 20 yards away from a win, and bobbled a routine ball. The other was at least 40 yards away, and his team put him in a bad spot to begin with. Either way, neither "lost" the game for their team. Romo played a much bigger part, because of the nature of that play, being the game-winning play. Rivers is no more responsible then the defense. If you watched the game, you would have seen that.

sdpads24
09-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Both of you make reasonable ponts and I think both of you are right in different ways. Rivers clearly played the best out of any charger and I think if he played the way he did against the Bears or Patriots the game against the Packers could've been ugly. Do I think it was Rivers' fault we lost that game? hell no. It's a team game and the overall mix of talent and coaching will decide a game. There are however times in a game where an individual has the capability to decide a game, but there wasn't a time like that in the Packer game. You can't expect much more from a guy who is only in his second year as a starter. We deserved to lose that game the way our D played, and the way our O-line continues to suck at opening holes for LT. It puts us in a very tricky situation.

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 09:53 PM
First of all Rivers and Romo were in two different situations. One was literally 20 yards away from a win, and bobbled a routine ball. The other was at least 40 yards away, and his team put him in a bad spot to begin with. Either way, neither "lost" the game for their team. Romo played a much bigger part, because of the nature of that play, being the game-winning play. Rivers is no more responsible then the defense. If you watched the game, you would have seen that.

im never gonna forget that...

you really think romo didnt lose that game.. thats incredible-- dedication to your argument.. wont bend or anything.. sigh..

JK17
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
im never gonna forget that...

you really think romo didnt lose that game.. thats incredible-- dedication to your argument.. wont bend or anything.. sigh..

Right, I've never bended on an argumnet.

I think Romo played a big, big part in their playoff loss. But I'll maintain its a team game, as cliche and played out as it is.

I'll never forget you related Rivers throwing an interception, in a game his defense arleady lost for him, after having one of the best games of his career, to Tony Romo bobbling a routine snap on a 20 yard field goal.

Average OT LB
09-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Moving on....

Whats your opinion on our defense, whats the problem? -- The talent is there so its easy to point out coaching as the weakness.. but i think its so much more than that..

Id say were weak up the middle.. when we blitz (which really isnt alot anymore) its to the outside... we're slow at MLB, slow at S, and we got one DT... very frustrating to watch the corners back off to give kinda like an upside T of open area....

JK17
09-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Moving on....

Whats your opinion on our defense, whats the problem? -- The talent is there so its easy to point out coaching as the weakness.. but i think its so much more than that..

Id say were weak up the middle.. when we blitz (which really isnt alot anymore) its to the outside... we're slow at MLB, slow at S, and we got one DT... very frustrating to watch the corners back off to give kinda like an upside T of open area....

I hate the way the secondary is playing. That's a blanket statement, but in general, what I mean is the way they give ten yards cushion on every play. I understand not wanting to get burnt, but we've been getting killed on short passes. It seems like they're playing to give up five yard passes, and then try to make the tackle. But they're giving up more then that, and they aren't making the tackles. We're not getting nearly enough pressure to combat that, which is killing us.

Also, like I said in preseason I don't think we're steady at ILB. I like Cooper, and I like Wilhelm when healthy but the guy's like a freaking China Doll. I don't like Dobbins and don't think he, or any of the other guys are ready to step in and play, leaving another gaping hole there.

Average OT LB
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
We're something like 20th in the leauge in pass defense.. and 9th in run defense, but our avg isnt all that bad.. its in the 80s which means we have an above average run D.. because usually by the end of the year ther are less than 5 teams with below 100 kinda numbers.. the vikins were amazing last year --- like 56 ypg smoethin like that..

anyway, i was lookin at some in depth numbers.. we're giving up a decent avrage but a high amount of firstdowns.. first downs are something we really dominated last year, we were number one on offense and were top 10 on defense so we really excelled there.. plus we havent given up a 15 yard run yet this season and thats top notch..

reading into that: i guess one could conclude we give up 4 yards at a decent percentage and we dont have enough plays to negate the offensive progress.. the numbers really dont show any kind of big weakness, so it really might just be the teams that we've played..

the pats are beastly and favre might just be the real deal..

Average OT LB
09-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Next week we got KC .. what are some things you guys are lookin for?

My list..
1. Can rivers handle the blitz?
2. Will LT get going?
3. Can we stop the pass?
4. Will we blitz like we did last year?
5. Motivation?

JK17
09-28-2007, 03:13 PM

My list..
2. Will LT get going?
3. Can we stop the pass?
5. Motivation?

I'd go with...

1. Can we stop the pass?
2. Can we get pressure on the passer?
3a. Can the O-Line protect?
3b. Can Rivers make the quick, correct reads and throws when the blitz comes?
4. Can we play motivated?
5. Can LT get going?

I think our biggest problems right now are on defense, having seen the offense somewhat breakout, which is why I have 1 and 2 related to the pass. I put 3a and 3b because I think they are directly the results of the other. Also, as strange as it may sound, I think when Rivers has to much time its a bad thing for him. We all know that he stares down his targets, and the more time he gets in the pocket, the more the D has been able to react to it. When he acts solely on impulse I feel sometimes his throws are smarter throws. After that, I'd be concerned with the motivation, although that's something that could be #1, because a motivated team might be able to stop the pass/blitz/block, etc. The last thing I have is LT. We all know what he can do. It's more of what the team hasn't helped him do, then what he hasn't been able to do, IMO.

Average OT LB
09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I'd go with...

1. Can we stop the pass?
2. Can we get pressure on the passer?
3a. Can the O-Line protect?
3b. Can Rivers make the quick, correct reads and throws when the blitz comes?
4. Can we play motivated?
5. Can LT get going?

I think our biggest problems right now are on defense, having seen the offense somewhat breakout, which is why I have 1 and 2 related to the pass. I put 3a and 3b because I think they are directly the results of the other. Also, as strange as it may sound, I think when Rivers has to much time its a bad thing for him. We all know that he stares down his targets, and the more time he gets in the pocket, the more the D has been able to react to it. When he acts solely on impulse I feel sometimes his throws are smarter throws. After that, I'd be concerned with the motivation, although that's something that could be #1, because a motivated team might be able to stop the pass/blitz/block, etc. The last thing I have is LT. We all know what he can do. It's more of what the team hasn't helped him do, then what he hasn't been able to do, IMO.

i agree -- Lt is a constant. If you allow him to do his thing he will get you 100 yards and a couple tds.. by not allowing him to do that means someones messin up..

To extend onto rivers- I'm very critical of him because i feel that qb is the most important possition in the game.. so i put him at the top of the list because i believe the games success will begin and end with how rivers preforms..

CC.SD
09-30-2007, 05:19 AM
I am staking my claim now, before the KC game, that I am 100% confident in this team. They have gotten some bad breaks so far, and played sloppily. I know they'll turn it around, and this will be a great season.

JK17
09-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I am staking my claim now, before the KC game, that I am 100% confident in this team. They have gotten some bad breaks so far, and played sloppily. I know they'll turn it around, and this will be a great season.

Completely agree. We will be fine this season, i feel. Maybe not as good as we originally had hoped, but we'll be able to rebound. I don't doubt that at all. But the possibility is there, however, that everything doesn't go according to plan....which is scary. I feel like its 2005 again.

eaglesfan_45
09-30-2007, 06:29 PM
The Cghargers are my #2 team because they are only 3-4 hrs. away from vegas but this is a shame when you lose to the Chiefs something is wron. The Chargers are one of the most talented rosters in the AFC and your losing to teams like the Chiefs I wouldn't wait till the seasons over to fire Norv Turner when you coach the Chargers and you can't get Lt involved thats when you know theres a problem.

JK17
09-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Norv Turner and Ted Cotrell couldn't coach their ways out of a ******* box. Why is Rivers throwing 40+ times a game? Why don't you stick to the ******* run when LT is averaging over 6 per carry?! Why are you playing tight ******* man on third and 19?! DIE NORV TURNER.

Average OT LB
10-01-2007, 01:02 AM
I think a friend of mine, whom i know to be very angry about this chargers loss, is very right when he speaks in depth about the game.. although he doesnt use harsh language whatsoever, the magnitude of his distaste for the play calling (much like JK17) is very high..

basically, Norv turner doesnt know how to win games.. he knows how to play them.. he can perhaps put together a driver or two very successfully.. he could probably digest a defense very effectively and put together the correct offense which corresponds..

..however..

he cant win games he just doesnt know how. We're not a pass first team. We have a great running back who can score when the situation is 1st and goal. you dont go 4 straight passing attmepts.. we have another great running back behind him when the great one gets tired.. we have big wrs and quick wrs who can be used more effectively then just normal recievers.. we have a TE who can be used as a decoy..

We had a lead.. we could have deflated that ball.. we dont let LT gain a total of 20 yards in the second half when we have the lead.. we shouldnt let our defense stay out of the field and get tired.. we have to force them to pass and become desperately one dimensional.. we have to blitz them and pressure them to make their decisions even faster.. but we cant do this.. becuase we have 3 coaches who are not as good as the 3 we had last year..

last year we had a genius OC who called plays brilliantly.. last year we had a DC who challenged rbs and forced QBs to make quick decisions.. last year we had a head coach who knew how to win.. who knew how to take the air out of the ball.. last year we had a team with confidence.. we had a motivated team.. a team that you could honestly think they could win or score at any point in time..

but last year isnt this year..

This season isnt lost let me make that clear. I recognize the fact that the schedule is 16 games long, and that we dont have to be 14-2 to make the playoffs.. BUT i fail to see what could change from now until the end of the season.. i really dont see norv turner all of a sudden getting it.. i cant see cottrell all of a sudden figuring out how to run an effective defense.. i cant see how we can get rolling- how we can hold onto a lead..

all i can say is that we are severly dependent on one player; his drive, his heart, his talent and his leadership.. Run LT run..

JK17
10-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I think a friend of mine, whom i know to be very angry about this chargers loss, is very right when he speaks in depth about the game.. although he doesnt use harsh language whatsoever, the magnitude of his distaste for the play calling (much like JK17) is very high..

basically, Norv turner doesnt know how to win games.. he knows how to play them.. he can perhaps put together a driver or two very successfully.. he could probably digest a defense very effectively and put together the correct offense which corresponds..

..however..

he cant win games he just doesnt know how. We're not a pass first team. We have a great running back who can score when the situation is 1st and goal. you dont go 4 straight passing attmepts.. we have another great running back behind him when the great one gets tired.. we have big wrs and quick wrs who can be used more effectively then just normal recievers.. we have a TE who can be used as a decoy..

We had a lead.. we could have deflated that ball.. we dont let LT gain a total of 20 yards in the second half when we have the lead.. we shouldnt let our defense stay out of the field and get tired.. we have to force them to pass and become desperately one dimensional.. we have to blitz them and pressure them to make their decisions even faster.. but we cant do this.. becuase we have 3 coaches who are not as good as the 3 we had last year..

last year we had a genius OC who called plays brilliantly.. last year we had a DC who challenged rbs and forced QBs to make quick decisions.. last year we had a head coach who knew how to win.. who knew how to take the air out of the ball.. last year we had a team with confidence.. we had a motivated team.. a team that you could honestly think they could win or score at any point in time..

but last year isnt this year..

This season isnt lost let me make that clear. I recognize the fact that the schedule is 16 games long, and that we dont have to be 14-2 to make the playoffs.. BUT i fail to see what could change from now until the end of the season.. i really dont see norv turner all of a sudden getting it.. i cant see cottrell all of a sudden figuring out how to run an effective defense.. i cant see how we can get rolling- how we can hold onto a lead..

all i can say is that we are severly dependent on one player; his drive, his heart, his talent and his leadership.. Run LT run..

For the first time I think I completely agree with you. I don't know what else to say, how can Norv, this offensive guru, who was supposed to keep continuity come in and not know how to run an offense?

We had the damn lead in that game. LT was more effective then he's been all year, he averaged six a carry! Why do you refuse to give him the ball in the second half? Isn't that what we were all furious at Cam for doing in the playoffs? I Just don't understand it...Rivers started hot, but he was abysmal as the game wore on...how do you explain passing it 40 times with him?

I mean, I can understand wanting to not be predictable...but sometimes run run run can be the right thing to do, especially when its working! By all means be creative, and mix it up...but nothing is creative about 1st down incomplete pass, second down 3-4 yard run, third down incomplete pass, fourth down punt. What sense does it make to continually call that play pattern?

And then you have a chance to get back in it. You're down on the goalline, at the 5, with timeouts, plenty of time, and you decide to pass four times in a row, again?! Run it off left tackle at least once there Norv, it reminded me of the Dallas game back in 2005, when we refused to give it to LT from the 7..

Just terrible, terrible job of knowing how to win a football game!

And then we get to the defense, with Cotrell. This guy was unemployed for a reason last year. I mean your giving ten yards cushion, on first and ten, second and five, third and short....but then third and nineteen comes...perfect time to switch to tight man! Are you serious? And how about getting a consistent effort from everyone on the team. I mean the pass rush finally picked up, at times, with Merriman and Phillips (from what I heard on the radio at least)....it wasn't always there, but when it was, we seemed to have no coverage, anywhere. That's not all on the coaching, but try something to get this team playing again Cotrell.

This is just an embarassment this season. I assume AJ's plan has a top ten pick factored into it, otherwise we're starting to veer away from it so far...

sdpads24
10-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Ok guys, so I've figured out the reason we've been losing. I'm not really a superstitious guy, but I used to wear this same shirt all of last year during our winning streak, but the game against the Patriots and all the games we've lost this year I haven't been wearing it. So I'm sorry to all you chargers fans who have been disappointed because of me. I'll take the blame, and I promise, the shirt will be worn every week from here on out.

JK17
10-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Ok guys, so I've figured out the reason we've been losing. I'm not really a superstitious guy, but I used to wear this same shirt all of last year during our winning streak, but the game against the Patriots and all the games we've lost this year I haven't been wearing it. So I'm sorry to all you chargers fans who have been disappointed because of me. I'll take the blame, and I promise, the shirt will be worn every week from here on out.

You know, I've come to expect more from you. You gotta know where your loyalties lie. And here I am thinking Norv Turner was an idiot...shame sdpads24, shame.

I knew it couldn't have been Norv....

:rolleyes:

Average OT LB
10-03-2007, 12:02 AM

My list..
2. Will LT get going?
3. Can we stop the pass?
5. Motivation?

so .. to quote myself lol.. recap

1.Rivers was only sacked one time, however he still managed to make hurried throws... this is due to a combination of him being hurried and trying to avoid the sack, and a lack of confidence.. the game is hard for a rookie becasue its moving so fast for them.. rivers obviously is feeling the game coming at him very quickly and isnt comfertable whatsoever and is not looking like the veteran he is and instead much more like a rookie..
2. LT was fine, more than fine. many people are pointing to the fact he got caught from behind, and seemed to limp a little, but the way i see it.. is that he saw the defender ahead of him and was making up his mind as to what to do instead of run his hardest.. regardless its not like hes a different player from last year or that hes tired .. that would be silly..
3. No, we didnt really have a 'we cant get them off the field' problem.. because we had allowed only 6 pts at half time.. its after that when the bad tackling (marty would fix that), the tired players (bad TOP, marty woulda solved that too..) and a failed recognition of a second half adjustment (we were outscored 24-0 in the 2nd half)
4. We werent having a problem here, the first half was fine.. when you start getting into trouble you cant blitz as much, its only with a lead when you can send the house..
5. dont get me started.. hopefully JK17 can pick it up here..

SuperKevin
10-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I knew it was inevitable but I heard my first completely ridiculous comment concerning the Chargers horrible 1-3 start. The other day I actually heard Chargers fans say they think the team needs to trade LT while he still has trade value to get another high first round pick. They actually felt LT was more of a product of Marty Schottenheimer and feel Michael Turner is the better back for the team right now. It's amazing how quickly fans in San Diego turn on the Chargers

JK17
10-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I knew it was inevitable but I heard my first completely ridiculous comment concerning the Chargers horrible 1-3 start. The other day I actually heard Chargers fans say they think the team needs to trade LT while he still has trade value to get another high first round pick. They actually felt LT was more of a product of Marty Schottenheimer and feel Michael Turner is the better back for the team right now. It's amazing how quickly fans in San Diego turn on the Chargers

It makes me sick. All preseason, for the most part all you hear is "Oh my god, we're so good, LT's the best RB of all time...". Then we struggle. "We're doomed, we're terrible, LT was overrated..."

I hate San Diego fans.

SuperKevin
10-06-2007, 05:35 PM
It makes me sick. All preseason, for the most part all you hear is "Oh my god, we're so good, LT's the best RB of all time...". Then we struggle. "We're doomed, we're terrible, LT was overrated..."

I hate San Diego fans.

These are the same fans who 5 or 6 years ago wanted the team to move to LA and now they are demanding a new stadium in Chula Vista because they had a few good years

JK17
10-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Alright, so to be perfectly honest here, today is the season. 1-4 means we're done. It means we're not making the playoffs, we're losing to too many divisional opponents, and quite frankly...it means we pissed away an entire season. A win puts at 2-3, gives us a divisonal win, and keeps any hope of the AFC West title alive. I mean we are only 1 game back, looking at it from a positive persepctive...

SuperKevin
10-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Alright, so to be perfectly honest here, today is the season. 1-4 means we're done. It means we're not making the playoffs, we're losing to too many divisional opponents, and quite frankly...it means we pissed away an entire season. A win puts at 2-3, gives us a divisonal win, and keeps any hope of the AFC West title alive. I mean we are only 1 game back, looking at it from a positive persepctive...

When is the trade deadline over? If the Chargers lose today I think they need to deal Michael Turner now before his stock starts to tumble.

sdpads24
10-07-2007, 06:15 PM
HUGE win for the chargers. It's always nice to win the ''must win games'' in a blowout

JK17
10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I mean no disrespect to Denver fans, because even they could tell you that beating them does not mean we are back on track to where we were supposed to be. So this doesn't make us super bowl bound, redeem norv, or anything like that.

But it does put us on the right track back to get there, and it was nice to see everyone play well today, especially on D, and at QB...
And Norv didn't blow it today, which was amazing.

JK17
10-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Also, for the record, Norv did a much better job I felt getting this team ready this week, including being more "fired up"..

No way am I sold on this guy yet, but there's always gotta be a first step.

What do you guys think, you got any more confidence in Norv, or just any aspect of the team at all?

sdpads24
10-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Also, for the record, Norv did a much better job I felt getting this team ready this week, including being more "fired up"..

No way am I sold on this guy yet, but there's always gotta be a first step.

I think he's starting to figure out how to use Rivers just like Cameron did last year. I'm not sure if this game was a factor of the broncos really sucking or the chargers having a a great day. Either way, I'm satisfied.

bantx
10-08-2007, 12:07 AM
getting gates involved was the key!!! gates is ungaurdable put a linebacker on gates in the red zone is 6!!!

JK17
10-08-2007, 12:09 AM
getting gates involved was the key!!! gates is ungaurdable put a linebacker on gates in the red zone is 6!!!

Seriously, I've never been more impressed with the guy in my life. He's been dominant all season when no one else on this team has been...he's amazing. Not much else to say about him.

Average OT LB
10-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Seriously, I've never been more impressed with the guy in my life. He's been dominant all season when no one else on this team has been...he's amazing. Not much else to say about him.

which is weird.. if hes so unguardable.. we have the best running back in the leauge.. and a pro bowl qb.. why are we 2-3?

SuperKevin
10-08-2007, 12:27 AM
which is weird.. if hes so unguardable.. we have the best running back in the leauge.. and a pro bowl qb.. why are we 2-3?

Poor play by the OL

bantx
10-08-2007, 12:29 AM

theres always a weak link somewhere along the line

Average OT LB
10-08-2007, 12:29 AM
theres always a weak link somewhere along the line

yeah i think i know where it is .. coaching staff..

Average OT LB
10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
I saw 5 good things today..

1. Michael Turner has returned!
2. The defensive backfield played very well indivisually, even Cromartie.
3. Rivers was efficient, didnt throw an interception, no sacks allowed.
4. The chargers seemed to be playing with something to prove.
5. Antonio Gates can carry the team.

I saw 5 bad things too..

1. Only 3 players caught a pass.
2. Despite giving up 3 points, we had only 1 sack.
3. 6 penalties.
4. LT is having a hard time getting to the LOS when running the ball. His longest run was 11 yards, and averaged under 4 yards per carry.
5. Can Rivers open up the defense? The defense is still crowding the box, and Rivers doesnt make them pay. I'm aware of his stats.

SuperKevin
10-08-2007, 12:49 AM

He's auditioning for next year. I think he's going to end up a Tampa Bay Buc

JK17
10-08-2007, 08:44 AM
I saw 5 good things today..

2. The defensive backfield played very well indivisually, even Cromartie.
3. Rivers was efficient, didnt throw an interception, no sacks allowed.
4. The chargers seemed to be playing with something to prove.
5. Antonio Gates can carry the team.

I saw 5 bad things too..

1. Only 3 players caught a pass.
2. Despite giving up 3 points, we had only 1 sack.
3. 6 penalties.
4. LT is having a hard time getting to the LOS when running the ball. His longest run was 11 yards, and averaged under 4 yards per carry.
5. Can Rivers open up the defense? The defense is still crowding the box, and Rivers doesnt make them pay. I'm aware of his stats.

I'll agree with everything else, but I'm not even talking about his stats here.... His TD to Vjax? His 33 yard pass to Vjax? He made the defense pay plenty of times in that game...

Average OT LB
10-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I'll agree with everything else, but I'm not even talking about his stats here.... His TD to Vjax? His 33 yard pass to Vjax? He made the defense pay plenty of times in that game...

What i meant was moreso this: can he consistantly make the defense, when they stack the line, back off with 15 yard strikes. I still think that rivers hasnt shown that ability to drop back in the pocket, scan the field, and make a strong throw with guys in his face.

JK17
10-08-2007, 02:06 PM
What i meant was moreso this: can he consistantly make the defense, when they stack the line, back off with 15 yard strikes. I still think that rivers hasnt shown that ability to drop back in the pocket, scan the field, and make a strong throw with guys in his face.

Yeah true, he hasn't consistently done it I think we'd all agree to that. But yesterday again, you can only go one step at a time, he won't turn into a Manning or Brady over night.

In general, I think for everyone, that game was a good first step to getting back to where we should be. But it's just a first step.

Average OT LB
10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah true, he hasn't consistently done it I think we'd all agree to that. But yesterday again, you can only go one step at a time, he won't turn into a Manning or Brady over night.

In general, I think for everyone, that game was a good first step to getting back to where we should be. But it's just a first step.

i can agree with that.. which brings me to nexts weeks 5 Things to look for..

1. Will Defense hold Oakland to 3pts? can they continue to generate turnovers?
2. What recievers will show they can catch passes over the middle, not long bombs, not screen passes.
3. Will the defense get pressure, and add to a low sack total? Where is Merriman?
4. Motivation- We won big last week vs a division rival, will that confidence turn into arrogance or will we continue that into next weeks game vs another division rival?
5. Rivers- He needs to step up again. No picks, no fumbles, no sacks, no starring at recievers, beating the D wehn they have 8 in the box, throwing to more recievers.. he needs to do it all

JK17
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Alright, there we go, 2 in a row...I'm hesitant to say we are back on track because Oakland and Denver are not the quality opponents most our opponents will be, but again...we have to take steps, and this was a good one....

Couple thoughts
-Pressure much better this game, Cotrell let Merriman and Phillips get involved and it showed
-LT still has it, the question of him losing it is unfounded
-Rivers played well; That intercpetion for a touchdown cannot happen though, that could kill us against a better opponent
-Cromarite I thought played at the level I expect him to play at, he started breaking on the ball much better, got that interception
-Our defense is much better with wilhelm, the guy is a great player...but he's gotta be on the field
-We should run to the left side...a lot

Overall good job, defense played well offense put up 28...happy with how everyone played, spare the interception by Rivers

10-14-2007, 06:20 PM
chargers now gotta be considered a top team again

Average OT LB
10-14-2007, 07:15 PM
i can agree with that.. which brings me to nexts weeks 5 Things to look for..

1. Will Defense hold Oakland to 3pts? can they continue to generate turnovers?
2. What recievers will show they can catch passes over the middle, not long bombs, not screen passes.
3. Will the defense get pressure, and add to a low sack total? Where is Merriman?
4. Motivation- We won big last week vs a division rival, will that confidence turn into arrogance or will we continue that into next weeks game vs another division rival?
5. Rivers- He needs to step up again. No picks, no fumbles, no sacks, no starring at recievers, beating the D wehn they have 8 in the box, throwing to more recievers.. he needs to do it all

I saw 5 good things, and 5 bad things...

The Good
1. The defense gave up 7 pts, picked off daunte 2 times, and forced 2 fumbles.
2. This is still gonna be a problem, but Craig Davis looked good.
3. they totalled 6 sacks, an impressive number (unless you compare it to Usi) and they got good constant pressure.
-Merriman 2.5 sacks
-Phillips 2 sacks 1 FF
4. Its hard not to get movtivated raider week, for LT that was obvious. however let us not forget, raider week is a Mary term.. Norv just knows its a division rival..
5. What can i say? Rivers got out of Lt's way and let the real leader of the team take over. Thats all he should do and im glad hes not trying to push for more. That pick is devastating and should never happen ever. it deflates the team, puts points on the board ofr the other team, and takes away a scoring opprotunity for the team.

The Bad
1. that 4th quarter was not good, allowing those 4th down convertions is unnacceptable
2. Rivers interception is a rookie mistake. hes prone to doing stuff like that and really needs to stop it now.
3. Where was VJ? i know he had a hard matchpu but a good wr can rise above that and be productive.
4. Can we close? I'm a met fan, and lately ive seen a similarity between the two teams.............. thats NOT good
5. Michael Turner? I dont know what his deal is but he deserves more touches. I'm not a coach but Its hard to see 5 carries for 8 yards.. i dunno what the solution is.. i know LT is good, and i knwo theres 1 football.

The Ugly
1. The raiders fans. They are not attractive. haha, i hate the raidres with every part of my body. haha im so glad they lost. Their a bad franchise and hopefully they lose every game the rest of the way.

bantx
10-14-2007, 11:15 PM
what a awesome birthday chargers won LT looks like the old LT even though its the raiders its still a confidence booster, but cowboys lost :( but oh well

SuperKevin
10-15-2007, 12:35 AM
i liked how the Chargers got Malcolm Floyd and Craig Davis involved early

JK17
10-15-2007, 09:10 AM
i liked how the Chargers got Malcolm Floyd and Craig Davis involved early

Me too, it was good to see Craig Davis looking like he's a decent 30 pick out there. Unfortunately all we'll hear from Chiefs fans is "he's no Dwayne Bowe", but he's looking very productive out there when we throw to him...

San Diego Chicken
10-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Really have to give props to the secondary. After playing downright bad during the three game losing streak, they're now playing very well and showing some great ball skills. The Florence pick on Culpepper was a very difficult catch. Cromartie judged his interception perfectly. The main thing is the DB's at least attempting to make plays on the ball and making QB windows as tight as possible. Pass rush is also back, although the Raiders OL is as awful as always.

JK17
10-15-2007, 07:45 PM
So now what do we do all week...i mean the team forum isnt usually booming during game week, but with a bye? I'll be bored this week...at least online.

San Diego Chicken
10-15-2007, 09:22 PM
So now what do we do all week...i mean the team forum isnt usually booming during game week, but with a bye? I'll be bored this week...at least online.

I'll be hyping my 7-0 Arizona State Sundevils. Although they have a bye week this week as well.

SuperKevin
10-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Me too, it was good to see Craig Davis looking like he's a decent 30 pick out there. Unfortunately all we'll hear from Chiefs fans is "he's no Dwayne Bowe", but he's looking very productive out there when we throw to him...

The Chargers don't need Davis to be Dwayne Bowe because the Chargers actually have other options at WR in Jackson and Floyd

JK17
10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
The Chargers don't need Davis to be Dwayne Bowe because the Chargers actually have other options at WR in Jackson and Floyd

Exactly...not to mention Gates too...I'm perfectly comfortable with our WR's, even if no one else in the media is.

JK17
10-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I'll be hyping my 7-0 Arizona State Sundevils. Although they have a bye week this week as well.

Haha I got a buddy who goes to ASU...maybe I'll do taht as well.

SuperKevin
10-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Exactly...not to mention Gates too...I'm perfectly comfortable with our WR's, even if no one else in the media is.

People need to realize, Craig Davis was not drafted so he could be the Chargers' number 1 WR. he was drafted to provide speed in the slot. The team really had no intentions of starting him and making him a go to target. The Chiefs however drafted Dwayne Bowe in hopes that he could save a floundering passing offense

bantx
10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
one of my friends plays for asu too

San Diego Chicken
10-15-2007, 10:48 PM
ASU really does have a great team this year, on both sides of the ball. I know they haven't beaten anyone too good yet, but Colorado and Oregon State are decent.

JK17
10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
So, now that the bye week's over hopefully the players have become rested, re-energized, adjusted in Chambers' case....because we got a big game agaisnt Houston coming up...We win this, we're finally at a winning record again, and take another step to be back on track...

SuperKevin
10-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Chargers practices were relocated to Arizona because of the wildfires.

Addict
10-23-2007, 03:11 AM

I'm sure they want LT to get hot and their receivers burning defensive backs, but this was taking it a few steps too far hu?

JK17
10-23-2007, 10:23 AM

I don't live out in San Diego, but here's hoping the situation gets much better out there, and fast.

Average OT LB
10-23-2007, 11:22 AM
5 things to look for This week vs Houston

1. Chris Chambers, how will he affect the team? we he be productive? can he hold onto the ball and run deep routes? How will he affect our redzone offense?
2. Where does Buster Davis fit in? will he preform in the slot, the way we have wanted to since we hand picked him in the draft for it..?
3. Michael Turners gotta get going, hes a good back why not use him?
4. Can Shawne Merriman keep it going? Word is around here that hes too inconsistnat, gets sacks in bundles.. I'm aware of that fact but lets keep in mind sacks arent everything a LB needs to do.. Will merriman get constant pressure? Lets be honest, when merriman plays great we're hard to beat. Lets hope he can turn in a good statistical, and good overall preformance.
5. Will rivers continue to stare down his recievers and make bad choices when getting hurried? Probably, but to add, will those mistakes hurt us like they have in the past? (int for TD last minutes of the game)

JK17
10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
5 things to look for This week vs Houston

1. Chris Chambers, how will he affect the team? we he be productive? can he hold onto the ball and run deep routes? How will he affect our redzone offense?

Agree, excited to see how this turns out. It is his first game though, so I don't expect him to be overly productive, what I'll be most interested is not his production, but the initial effect he has on the defense in terms of what they focus on. The production will pick up as he gets adjusted to the players around him.

2. Where does Buster Davis fit in? will he preform in the slot, the way we have wanted to since we hand picked him in the draft for it..?

I think he'll do better in the slot then he would anywhere else. He looked good against Oakland and made a couple nice plays. Hopefuly he can make 2-3 catches that will open the field up. I mean Ideally, Rivers is completing 18/25 for a game (that's what I'd like at least). If 6 go to Gates and 3 go to LT, it only leaves 9 catches for the other recievers to split.

3. Michael Turners gotta get going, hes a good back why not use him?

I'm still waiting to see the joint LT/MT backfield we heard about. But since we gotta commit to the run like we've been doing I'd like to see LT getting 20-25 carries, with MT getting 5-10 to keep him fresh. If we can run it 35 times a game, we're playing well and with good balance for what our offense needs.

4. Can Shawne Merriman keep it going? Word is around here that hes too inconsistnat, gets sacks in bundles.. I'm aware of that fact but lets keep in mind sacks arent everything a LB needs to do.. Will merriman get constant pressure? Lets be honest, when merriman plays great we're hard to beat. Lets hope he can turn in a good statistical, and good overall preformance.

Like you said Merriman's always been a guy who gets his sacks in bunches. He does warrant a lot of defensive attention, which we've been seeing benefits Phillips a lot on the other side, with the cocnern coming from the other direction. That being said, I think a lot of this question revolves around what Cotrell plans to do with the defense.

5. Will rivers continue to stare down his recievers and make bad choices when getting hurried? Probably, but to add, will those mistakes hurt us like they have in the past? (int for TD last minutes of the game)

This will be key. He's looked better, spare that one hideous throw the past couple games. I don't think that interception was result of him staring though, that was more him trying to force the throw, and make something happen, which he should know not to do in the future. Chambers should help him here, and if we're able to establish the run, Rivers usually plays fairly well. We'll see if he cuts down those other mistakes though...unfortunately the audibles we want to see, or the staring down issues, may be things he needs an offseason to work on...

JK17
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Anway my top five things to look for...

1. How does Chris Chambers effect the offense?: Not just with his stats, or catches--I'm most concerned with the effect he will have on what the opposing defenses do. Do they immediately respect him and put a double on him? If they don't double him, does it at least prevent a double on Gates? Does it take the 8th guy out of the box, or do teams still not respect the pass. Does VJ succeed against #2 corners, and does Davis still get involved in the offense. Arguably most importantly, does it help Rivers develop?

2. Does the defense continue playing well?: More impressive then our offense coming together, I feel is how well our defense played the past two games. 3 points to Denver. 8 to Oakland (They are not responsible for Rivers touchdown). The secondary has been playing more aggressive, they've been attacking the ball. Cromartie has stopped allowing passes to be given up. We're making tackles where we have to, Jammer and D-Flo have both stepped up their games. I like what I've seen from Weddle. Not only the secondary, but our pass rush is significantly better. Cotrell has been letting Merriman and Phillips go much more often, and I think a lot of that, might actually have to do with Wilhelm. Since his return, our defense has been playing undeniably better, perhaps Cotrell trusts him enough to allow the OLB's to go more, and let Wilhelm in coverage. Either way, Wilhelm deserves his credit.

3. Which Philip Rivers will show up?: Will it be the one we saw in Green Bay, Denver, and Oakland spare the interception, or will it be the Rivers from the first half of Chicago, the New England Game, the Kansas City game. He's played well in about three games, and played poor in about three games. He's looked to be developing great, then seemingly regressed. Hopefully his struggles will be aided by the resurgence of the running game, which I sincerely believe they will be, and the addition of Chambers. But he has to cut down on forcing things. The pass to Thomas Howard was clear evidence that it can kill us.

4. Will the Coaching be as good as it's been the past two games?: We all, including myself, have been extremely critical of Norv Turner and Ted Cotrell over the course of the season. To their defense, the past two games they've done a good job in regulating and managing the game. Our defense seems to be blitzing more, our offense has re-committed to the running game and limited turnovers. Now we have to know if the successes were simply the results of poor opponents, or if the failures were just part of learning a "new" scheme on defense and some variations on offense, or maybe more likely, the coaches learning how to properly utilize the talent we do have on this team. We might not know this until the Indy and Jacksonville games.

5. Is the team ready, and have we learned how to win?: I was debating putting if the offensive line has found a rythm again here, but decided this was more important. Have we committed too, and learned how to win? Are we back on our way to being contenders when the Colts and Pats are the two clear-cut dominant teams in the NFL? We went Redskins style in eliminating our draft next year, which sends the message we do plan on winning now, at least from a management perspective. The question is, are the players and coaches capable of doing so.

terribletowel39
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
does anyone know where the game is being played this weekend?? i heard it might be played here in Dallas. any truth to that??

sdpads24
10-24-2007, 09:10 PM
does anyone know where the game is being played this weekend?? i heard it might be played here in Dallas. any truth to that??

It's very possible. Another option is sun devil stadium in Arizona where the chargers played in 2003 during the fire damage in san diego. I think they're going to make the decision tomorrow.

sdpads24
10-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm interested in seeing how much the chargers will be motivated this week after what the fire damage has done to san diego. Will they come out fired up and motivated to win this game for san diego? Or will they be distracted and rusty coming off of a bye week?

Average OT LB
10-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm interested in seeing how much the chargers will be motivated this week after what the fire damage has done to san diego. Will they come out fired up and motivated to win this game for san diego? Or will they be distracted and rusty coming off of a bye week?

I'm willing to bet despite the extra week, being on a win steak, getting a great addition in chambers, playing at home with a new reason to play for the fans and playing against a rather injured houston team..

...Norv will still find a way to let the team come out flat and get behind early.. the rust prolly wont shake off till the third quarter when stupidity will settle im>We'll stop givin the ball to LT and let rivers throw alot. In no way do i think this game is a lock, evn though houston is struggling right now. I dunno, I'm without a doubt a pessimistic charger fan, but i have no confidence in our ability to win the game against houston.

SuperKevin
10-28-2007, 01:52 AM
I expect the Chargers to roll over a weak Texans team. It probably won't even be close

JK17
10-28-2007, 07:02 PM
So a couple notes from the game, I didn't see it, I only heard it on the radio, so probably not gonna be 100% correct on everything I say...

Offense
There wasn't much to judge by, but I think ideally this is what we want from our offense (assuming we'll have the ball for longer). We want Rivers limited in his throws. Only 11 is probably a low number, but there was no reason to pass, and when we did it worked well. Again, I couldn't see the game so I'm just assuming that a lot of Gates' success could also be contributed to Chambers ensuring Gates didn't get all the focus. It was also good to see them using Chambers to stretch the field. I know Rivers attempted a deep ball for him they didn't hook up on, but that's a good sign of what he can do for us. Obviosuly nice to see him score. LT did great, he always does (now), I think Rivers got sacked like once? Which means the O-Line's been playing better.

Defense
Antonio Cromarite. Amazing to see him continuing to build and do well. He was shaky to start the season, but he's been coming on well. I think a lot of credit has to go to Wilhelm. It's not coincidence that our defense is finally playing well now that he has come back from injury. The trick is keeping him on the field. From what I heard, no one did really bad on defense, sounded like Merriman was making a good impact in the run game, Weddle was out there which I think is good. Early on they had some run success, which shows we need Jamal in there I think, but then again, I didn't see where they were running it.

Overall
Maybe Norv can do it? I don't know I'm certianly not jumping on his bandwagon or forgiving him for failing early, but he has led a motivated team to good victories the past three games. Cotrell's defense is playing better, like I said I think because of Wilhelm, but hey maybe they need to be adjusted to the scheme? They've certianly done better things. Obviously we're not "back". We're not, and won't be an elite team this year, but we gotta take steps, today was another good step.

SuperKevin
10-29-2007, 12:05 AM
I must say Antonio Cromartie definately earned his paycheck this week. If he can consistently get it going he could be one of the scarier CBs in the league with his size/speed

Brandon Siler has been my favorite player for this team all year. Nobody hustles more on special teams than this kid does. he is consistently making big tackles on kickoffs and punts and even has that fumble recovery for a TD.

sdpads24
10-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Today was definitely the best game we've played this season. It could have been much more lobsided (similar to the patriots game today), but our team fortunately has class.

Turner has really learned the best way to utilize Rivers and it has become really fun to watch. The way our offense can spread the ball out and virtually distribute the ball to anybody at any time was really impressive today and it should continue. As crazy as it might sound, I can really see our team competing with teams like the Patriots and the Colts down the road if we keep playing like this.

As for our D, Merriman was his usual self all over the field making plays. Don't let the low sack totals today confuse you, Matt Schaub took a three step drop every play and got rid of the ball as soon as he could very similar to what the Patriots and the packers did against us. It seemed that there was pressure every play. The loss of Jamal Williams was really evident today and I'm starting to think we need to address a backup for Jamal in the draft or in free agency. I can't talk about our defense today without mentioning Cromartie, he was really impressive and I could definitely see him taking the #2 cb job next year the way he has played the last couple games.

SuperKevin
10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
So what happened to Anthony Waters? I never hear his name get mentioned, even on special teams yet our 7th round afterthought Brandon Siler could make the pro bowl as a special teamer

JK17
10-29-2007, 12:13 AM
So what happened to Anthony Waters? I never hear his name get mentioned, even on special teams yet our 7th round afterthought Brandon Siler could make the pro bowl as a special teamer

I was wondering the same thing...I loved what I saw out of Waters in the preseason, I thought he played well, but he hasn't made much of a mark at all yet.

sdpads24
10-29-2007, 12:14 AM

I saw him walking around on the sidelines today, I'm assuming he's injured..... I can't say enough about how well our special teams have played this year. I don't think there was more than a single time today where the kickoff got returned past the 20.

San Diego Chicken
10-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Good game, although the Texans made the Bolts look good at times. That team just isn't good. Cro is making alot of us eat crow. The lightbulb is starting to come on for him. I was skeptical of the Chambers move but so far so good. None of the other WR's on our roster probably turn that drag route into a score like he did. Overall a good win that was a little too easy.

Next week is strength vs. strength - our OL and run game against Minnesota which has the best run stopping front 4 in the NFL. Yeah, they won't be able to score much on our defense but we could be in trouble if the bad Rivers shows up, but they don't have much of a pass rush, so he should be fine.

Average OT LB
10-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Good game, although the Texans made the Bolts look good at times. That team just isn't good. Cro is making alot of us eat crow. The lightbulb is starting to come on for him. I was skeptical of the Chambers move but so far so good. None of the other WR's on our roster probably turn that drag route into a score like he did. Overall a good win that was a little too easy.

Next week is strength vs. strength - our OL and run game against Minnesota which has the best run stopping front 4 in the NFL. Yeah, they won't be able to score much on our defense but we could be in trouble if the bad Rivers shows up, but they don't have much of a pass rush, so he should be fine.

I agree Minnesota will ultimately be a good test of our o-line and d-line. Minnesota and peterson have put together some dominant preformances, and i can only wish that Peterson get taught a lesson from the best back in the league. I dunno about you guys, but i like it when hot shot rookies fail at first... I like for them to realize, damn this isnt college i cnat do the same things here that i used to do.. but unfortunately Peterson hasnt had that yet, instead hes going out and grabbing a starting job. Especially when it comes to running backs i get mad when others are doing good, haha cause i think LT is just soooooooo good he should be the only one talked about. Selfish i know, thats just how i feel...

JK17
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree Minnesota will ultimately be a good test of our o-line and d-line. Minnesota and peterson have put together some dominant preformances, and i can only wish that Peterson get taught a lesson from the best back in the league. I dunno about you guys, but i like it when hot shot rookies fail at first... I like for them to realize, damn this isnt college i cnat do the same things here that i used to do.. but unfortunately Peterson hasnt had that yet, instead hes going out and grabbing a starting job. Especially when it comes to running backs i get mad when others are doing good, haha cause i think LT is just soooooooo good he should be the only one talked about. Selfish i know, thats just how i feel...

I usually feel the same way, except this year. I don't know why, I like Lynch and Peterson. Peterson's a great back, so is Lynch and I like seeing them do well. That said, let them be dominant when LT is done in this league, I don't want anyone else approaching #1 back level, I'm selfish too. I'm sure though if they were on teams like the Pats, Raiders, Chiefs, or Broncs I'd hate them more then anyone in the league tho.

Anyway, we need Jamal back there to stop AD, or it could be trouble for us. We should be able to shut them down if everyone plays like they've been playing but, who knows. Should be a good test.

bantx
11-04-2007, 01:42 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/Bantx/Wallpapers/ladainiantomlinsoncopy-1.png

made a LT wallpaper if u guys need a new desktop :D

Average OT LB
11-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Devin Whoooo???

JK17
11-04-2007, 03:20 PM
So this game proves, clearly, we are not back. We had no motivation, we could not stop the run, we could not run, we could not block, we could not tackle...in fact, aside from Antonio Cromarite, we couldn't do one thing at all today. I'd give an indepth perspective of this game, but why bother? Everything was bad.

Sigh....here's to 8-8.

Average OT LB
11-04-2007, 07:14 PM
So this game proves, clearly, we are not back. We had no motivation, we could not stop the run, we could not run, we could not block, we could not tackle...in fact, aside from Antonio Cromarite, we couldn't do one thing at all today. I'd give an indepth perspective of this game, but why bother? Everything was bad.

Sigh....here's to 8-8.

That is true.. anytime you give up over 150 rushing yards your in a heap of trouble.. when you give up about 360 your 6 feet under.. I'm about as hard on Rivers as skip bayless is on Lebron James and his jump shot and while Rivers played badly the blame does not go on him...

I'm sitting here, stumped as to how rivers has regressed so much, and how we gave up 360 rushing yards.. i really dont know how this is possible.. both of those things we're so opposite to what they are right now it really makes you think about hte effects of coaching.. A friend of mine brought up the possiblity that we we're overacheiving last year and that could explain the drop off- back to reality. Are we not the most talented team in the league? Either way, I'll be the first to say im still not sold on adrian petersonand I'm still not convinced that Norv is any better than a 3 month old bag of roadkill..

Also, where the hell is michael Turner???

Babylon
11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I think any good back in the NFL would have had 200 yds behind that blocking and lack of defense, Peterson got 300, shows how good he is.

sdpads24
11-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Couple of thoughts: in a nutshell
The Chargers are still the best team in the AFC West (and have the best record, too).
Cletis Gordon is not as good as Quentin Jammer.
Drayton Florence is an idiot.
Illegal Contact went un-called against the Vikings all day.
That Offensive Pass Interference call was awful.
We miss Nick Hardwick a lot.
Vincent Jackson might need to be benched.
Philip Rivers needs to learn to throw the deep ball.
Our special teams are fantastic. They don't get enough love.
Where did Naane come from. He needs more playing time.
Norv Turner isn't a very good coach

bantx
11-04-2007, 11:41 PM
phillip rivers is starting to piss me off

sdpads24
11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
phillip rivers is starting to piss me off

Its really frustrating to watch him play no matter how well he's playing. He always looks so awkward out on the field. His throwing motion is what worries me the most about him. His arm strengh hurt us a lot in the game today.

JK17
11-04-2007, 11:49 PM
He just doesn't look comfortable out there. Last year he would drop back and I'd feel fine, knowing at least it would be a good decision. This year every time he's dropped back I'm holding my breath. He's getting flustered so easily out there, he doesn't have the calm, cool attitude that, *gasps* Tom Brady has. How much of that can be chalked up to him not being comfortbale with an O-Line thats getting him killed I don't know. But I want the Rivers of last year, not the awkward, nervous, high school kid who replaced him this year.

bantx
11-04-2007, 11:50 PM
he needs to learn to expect a hit and not friggen worry about one

SuperKevin
11-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I would love to see Charlie Whitehurst starting to get some mop up series whether its in a blowout win or loss.

sdpads24
11-04-2007, 11:57 PM
I would love to see Charlie Whitehurst starting to get some mop up series whether its in a blowout win or loss.

I would say the chances of him playing this year our doubtful unless an injury were to happen. Billy Volek is the backup right now he would probably get the mop ups. Im with you though, it would be interesting to see him at least get a few snaps this season.

JK17
11-04-2007, 11:59 PM
I would say the chances of him playing this year our doubtful unless an injury were to happen. Billy Volek is the backup right now he would probably get the mop ups. Im with you though, it would be interesting to see him at least get a few snaps this season.

I could see Whitehurst getting some either mop up or garbage time this year though....We know what we got in Volek, so if Rivers went down I'm sure he'd go in, but we need to evaluate what we do have in Whitehurst, to either generate some buzz around him in the NFL, or at least evaluate his value on the roster.

Average OT LB
11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Last year Big Ben lead the league in picks, he threw something like 24 and this year hes lighting it up.. So that could be rivers this year. However, i think the excuses have run out for him... Last year he put up good numbers but i think there remained alot of uncertainty as to who he would become as a quarterback and how he would evlove.. some might see that questions as 'can he keep it up'.. well the dark cloud of confusion is clearing... and whats shining through sadly isnt the River of yesteryear but isntead this new guy who just seems uncomparable. I critique rivers like skip bayless does Lebron James.. I'll admit that.. but although it may be overly harsh i think theres truth in saying Rivers isnt a pro bowl quarterback and he isnt the leader that we thought he was. Instead the comebacks were team manufactured and rivers has proved to be a whiner.

To kinda illustrate what i mean... yesterday i was watching the colts pats game.. and i saw seomthing that id never seen before. Tom brday was getting very upset at a non call... regardless of whether or not he was right, it dawned on me how little i see that from him. Rivers doesnt have to be Tom to be great, I'm not drawing that kind of comparison. Instead i mean to say that he seems like a kid when you take a step back and look at the qbs around the league. A friend of mine might say thats nitpicking but it bothers me how a former quarterback of ours (for the duration of about 3 picks in the first round) whom i called girly and whiny, may now be considered more mature..

Average OT LB
11-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Jammer is out this week.. Cromartie is stepping in to make his first start against peyton manning.. i love it..

sdpads24
11-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Jammer is out this week.. Cromartie is stepping in to make his first start against peyton manning.. i love it..

This will be a big test for him, even bigger if Harrison plays. Hopefully he can play like he's been playing the last few weeks.

JK17
11-10-2007, 01:32 PM
It's a huge week for Cro. He has a chance to show us what he can do against real good receivers and an amazing QB, something he didn't really have to do when he's been breaking out. He could have a Merriman like game from 2005, when he broke out against the Colts, and showed everyone he was the real deal, or he could regress big time on national television, which could damage his potential. I think though, he will play well, he's really been improving in technique the past couple weeks.

It's a similar thing for San Diego in general. We can win, although clearly aren't likely to, and have won 4 of the last 5, beaten a contender, and do it all on national television. Or we can go in there, stink up the game, and leave it 4-5, on another losing streak. This game defines the season for us...not that I have high hopes for it now anyway.

Average OT LB
11-10-2007, 03:39 PM
It's a huge week for Cro. He has a chance to show us what he can do against real good receivers and an amazing QB, something he didn't really have to do when he's been breaking out. He could have a Merriman like game from 2005, when he broke out against the Colts, and showed everyone he was the real deal, or he could regress big time on national television, which could damage his potential. I think though, he will play well, he's really been improving in technique the past couple weeks.

It's a similar thing for San Diego in general. We can win, although clearly aren't likely to, and have won 4 of the last 5, beaten a contender, and do it all on national television. Or we can go in there, stink up the game, and leave it 4-5, on another losing streak. This game defines the season for us...not that I have high hopes for it now anyway.

Yeha is it me or are we not making a big deal of our rush defense? i mean.. we just gave up 360 yards rushing and although i know i tried to suppress the memory, its a huge problem. Addai is coming in here having scored in like.. 6 of the last 7 and hes not a bad back whatsoever.

Honestly i think we have no shot to win this game, cause of the run defense. Pair that with a few playactions and i think its very unfair for this to be cromarties first start. Then again.. i am a pessmistic charger fan.. so well see what happens.. i just have a baddd feeling about it

Average OT LB
11-10-2007, 03:44 PM
5 things to look for:
1. Can we stop the Run?
2. How does Cromartie handle his first start?
3. The safeties- should they stay or should they go..
3b. Eric Weddle- this may be the game that dicatates whether or not he starts for the rest of the year. I'm betting that after a few early passing tds weddle gets the second half start.
4. The running game. Dwight frreney is a liability in the rush D and take bob sanders out of the equation and this team cnat stop the run. Tomlinson needs to wake up, Turner needs to play more and the left side of the line needs to be dominant once again.
5. What kind of decisions will rivers make? Will he continue to make bad turnovers.. This game will dictate the year he is having.. i predict a good statistical game coupled with bad turnovers that seals a loss for us in the end..

Haha looking back at this i really dont feel confident in the Chargers.. Which gives me an idea. We should get some kind of confidnece poll each week of the chargers... i've seen that kind of feature a few other places and although it needs alot of people to really work, i think it could be interesting..

Average OT LB
11-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Whooo 500th post!! Now my rep counts! finally i matter... haha

In about 10 more years perhaps ill get to 1,000... i dunno though perhaps im setting the bar too high..

JK17
11-14-2007, 10:42 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071113/news_1s13chnotes.html

Antonio Cromartie has more interceptions already this season than any Chargers cornerback since 2001. His six picks lead the NFL.

Yet there is no room for him to be a starter.

Quentin Jammer is expected to return this week after missing Sunday's victory over Indianapolis with a hamstring strain. Then, Cromartie, who intercepted three Peyton Manning passes, will be back playing anywhere from 10 to 30 plays a game.
“That's something we'll deal with when Jammer is ready,” coach Norv Turner said.

Said Cromartie: “I'm just going in and playing my role. . . . I can see it changing. My biggest thing is week in and week out to do what I'm supposed to do.”

If, after this past week, Antonio Cromartie still is not starting ahead of Drayton Florence, I've lost all faith in our coaching staff being able to learn, anything. Florence is a hot-headed corner who gets beat frequently. Cromartie is the promising first round pick, who just got three interceptions, against Peyton Manning. And he's still not starting?!

bantx
11-14-2007, 11:21 PM
norv is pissing me off

JK17
11-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Hypothetical Question...

This is not in any way a prediction or something I think will happen; just something I thought of and our situation this year can somewhat apply to it. Say, by some grace of God, Norv was able to get us to win in the playoffs, and the Super Bowl. Obviously, I don't think this will happen, but just pretend it does. With the terrible job we know Norv had done coaching all year, and assuming its the same job he's done all year but we manage to win the Super Bowl. Can we fire Norv? I mean, the thing would be he's a terrible coach, and winning the Super Bowl would be complete luck if we somehow managed to do it, but can you fire someone who has won the Super Bowl? I mean, people said how can you fire Marty after a 14-2 season, but he didn't even win in the playoffs...is it possible to fire a Super Bowl winner, no matter how bad the are?

This isn't meant just for our case, but for any team's case. I'm not trying to sound like I think this would happen; but anywhere in the NFL...can you fire a guy who is that bad, but manages to win a Super Bowl?

sdpads24
11-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I think if a coach manages to take a team to a super bowl and win, they must be a good coach. There has probably been cases like that where a team fires a coach like that, but I just can't see it happening. I wouldn't be happy.

Average OT LB
11-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah nice 2:00 drive by rivers, yet again showing how clutch he is. Whats his excuse this time? was the reciever runnign the wrong route or was the ball slippery? no, the lights were in his eyes. How about he had the opprotunity to win the game, attempted and missed a dump off pass with the clock running which followed what i thought was a good decision to run for the first. Rivers doesnt have it, not this year. Hes lost his accuracy, his footwork is a complete mess, and hes costing us games.

Blame it on coaching if you want, ill notch this one on rivers belt, cause i feel the game starts and ends with the play of your quarterback.

JK17
11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Sigh...I saw one play today. That ugly interception by Rivers. I look at his numbers and they don't look bad minus that one play but still, that was a terrible throw, and a terrible decision. Disgusting.

Average OT LB
11-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Sigh...I saw one play today. That ugly interception by Rivers. I look at his numbers and they don't look bad minus that one play but still, that was a terrible throw, and a terrible decision. Disgusting.

I feel this game is an example of our season. LT doesnt run well, we fall behind early, and rivers throws a pick to end the game. Im just so angry right now, I wanna punch Norv in the face. If this were marty he'd be all over rivers, LT and the line and we wouldnt have problems. and rivers!! WTF?? all of a sudden he cant hit the broad side of a barn.. my god

JK17
11-18-2007, 03:20 PM
So what do we do now, where do we go from here?

The coaching is terrible, its a given in my opinion that has to change. QB? Rivers has shown last year and at times this year he can be an efficient, good QB when everyone else is playing well...when they aren't however, its a problem and he forces mistakes. What do we do about them? You can't give up on him its his second year starting but he has seriously regressed. How do you tell how much of that is him, and how much is the pressure in his face? And how do you guage if the pressure even should factor in as an excuse?

What about the suddenly inefficient running game? Is it because Rivers can't take pressure off, or is it because LT has taken some steps back, which to be honest, I think has happened? Why aren't we committing to the run, why does Rivers continue to throw 40+ times a game? We brought back MT, why not use him if you don't want LT carrying all that much? For once I feel the recievers are the least of our concerns...

Average OT LB
11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
So what do we do now, where do we go from here?

The coaching is terrible, its a given in my opinion that has to change. QB? Rivers has shown last year and at times this year he can be an efficient, good QB when everyone else is playing well...when they aren't however, its a problem and he forces mistakes. What do we do about them? You can't give up on him its his second year starting but he has seriously regressed. How do you tell how much of that is him, and how much is the pressure in his face? And how do you guage if the pressure even should factor in as an excuse?

What about the suddenly inefficient running game? Is it because Rivers can't take pressure off, or is it because LT has taken some steps back, which to be honest, I think has happened? Why aren't we committing to the run, why does Rivers continue to throw 40+ times a game? We brought back MT, why not use him if you don't want LT carrying all that much? For once I feel the recievers are the least of our concerns...

Yeah good point, i didnt even notice that he threw 40 times again. LT was having an okay day for awhile then he got a little ineffective and they got away from it. I think that as fans, we're dealing with the worst type of coach. Norv is the guy that believes that since the run game hasnt worked, it wont work. To explain further, if there are 8 guys in the box, it makes sense to pass becuase the run just wont work. Thats the type of coach that can be manipulated and gameplanned for. The most upsetting thing is that despite 40 attempts, rivers completions were comprised mostly of short dump off chad pennington type passes. As usual he had a couple plays that in the end made his stats look better..

I feel that Norv believes he is putting rivers in position to succeed and has not preformed. I believe that Norv has set up Rivers to fail and has forgotten that we ran against 8 in the box last year and we can do it again. Good teams overcome the football normalties.. and we're a good team.

The Unseen
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Good game guys. LT is man beast, but what's up with Rivers?

JK17
11-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Good game guys. LT is man beast, but what's up with Rivers?

I wish I could tell you...:rolleyes:...I didn't get to see the game, except his last hideous interception, but his numbers didn't look terrible. Still, somethings up with him, whether its confidence, lack of protection, poor mechanics/coaching or whatever it is.

Good luck, Congrats. If we win the excuse for a division the AFC West is, good chance we see you in the playoffs.

The Unseen
11-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I wish I could tell you...:rolleyes:...I didn't get to see the game, except his last hideous interception, but his numbers didn't look terrible. Still, somethings up with him, whether its confidence, lack of protection, poor mechanics/coaching or whatever it is.

Good luck, Congrats. If we win the excuse for a division the AFC West is, good chance we see you in the playoffs.

Thanks.

His stats weren't bad, but there were some throws that he flat-out missed. He had some nice passes in the "intermediate range" and to LT, but some passes were wayy off.

JK17
11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks.

His stats weren't bad, but there were some throws that he flat-out missed. He had some nice passes in the "intermediate range" and to LT, but some passes were wayy off.

Sounds like the usual story with him...sigh. Wasn't Norv supposed to help him grow as a QB?

Average OT LB
11-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks.

Yes i think this game is a true indicator of his lost accuracy. I feel that he is slowly getting worse every game and its more or less all his fault.

bantx
11-18-2007, 09:45 PM
i didnt get to see the game either didnt show in dallas, but i did go to a friends house with direct tv with that package thingy but still didnt get to watch it, all i got to watc was the cowboys

Average OT LB
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
i didnt get to see the game either didnt show in dallas, but i did go to a friends house with direct tv with that package thingy but still didnt get to watch it, all i got to watc was the cowboys

Wow i feel bad for you.. but actually your probably better off having not seen the game

sdpads24
11-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Well another crappy game from the chargers. I'm sooooo tired of these zone defense packages that absolutely get lit up every time. Ted Cotrell is a frickin moron. And someone needs to tell the guy that our defense plays best when we actually blitz the quarterback instead of everyone dropping back into coverege every time. It never works. As for our offense, just the usual horrid outing. It looks like these guys have never took a snap together in their lives. With Norv Turner being his usual predictable self, the Jags defense had a field day against us. Oh ya and Philip Rivers also sucks, He just doesn't seem capable to carry a team on his back when a team takes LT out of it which is usually the case. I can't wait to see the press conference when Norv Turner gets fired.

San Diego Chicken
11-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Well another crappy game from the chargers. I'm sooooo tired of these zone defense packages that absolutely get lit up every time. Ted Cotrell is a frickin moron. And someone needs to tell the guy that our defense plays best when we actually blitz the quarterback instead of everyone dropping back into coverege every time. It never works. As for our offense, just the usual horrid outing. It looks like these guys have never took a snap together in their lives. With Norv Turner being his usual predictable self, the Jags defense had a field day against us. Oh ya and Philip Rivers also sucks, He just doesn't seem capable to carry a team on his back when a team takes LT out of it which is usually the case. I can't wait to see the press conference when Norv Turner gets fired.

I agree. I was most frustrated by the defense today. The Jags came out and scored on their first three possessions. 17-3 is too big of a whole for this year's Chargers team.

I had a feeling that they would lose this game because Garrard was healthy, and they can stop the run, so it's not as galling as the Vikings game, but it's really just the same issues over and over again. The Jaguars are basically a souped up version of the Vikings. I just don't see the Chargers beating a team that plays power football. Another loss is probably on the horizon against the Titans in a few weeks.

JK17
11-19-2007, 12:16 AM
I agree. I was most frustrated by the defense today. The Jags came out and scored on their first three possessions. 17-3 is too big of a whole for this year's Chargers team.

I had a feeling that they would lose this game because Garrard was healthy, and they can stop the run, so it's not as galling as the Vikings game, but it's really just the same issues over and over again. I just don't see the Chargers beating a team that plays power football. Another loss is probably on the horizon against the Titans in a few weeks.

I just don't see us winning games that are perceived to be close games. Yes, we might win a couple through fortunate events, like against Indy. And we might be able to beat Denver, KC, and Oakland again because they are divisional rivals, and we are equal to or better then them as a team. But games like this, or games against Baltimore, Tennessee, etc. We aren't coached well enough, and we don't have enough leaders to guide us through the crucial games of the season when the game is on the line.

Average OT LB
11-25-2007, 03:43 PM
wow, 2nd and 2 in one of the opening drives and you go with 2 straight passes that fall incomplete...

quick notes, the ravens have timed the cadence very well, know where we choose to run, and rivers is getting flustered. haha i saw him tell the fans to shut up, what a bum. I hate that guy.

JK17
11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
wow, 2nd and 2 in one of the opening drives and you go with 2 straight passes that fall incomplete...

quick notes, the ravens have timed the cadence very well, know where we choose to run, and rivers is getting flustered. haha i saw him tell the fans to shut up, what a bum. I hate that guy.

I don't know he's looking fine to me...making good throws, safe throws, not getting sacked, even with no run game to complement him...

bantx
11-25-2007, 05:14 PM
i never get to see the gamess i need to buy that direct tv all access football package thingy

SuperKevin
11-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Congrats to LT on reaching 10,000 career rushing yards. Yet another reason why LT is a 1st ballot hall of famer

Average OT LB
11-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Cromartie had his 7th interception taken away, because of an illegal contact penalty on.. #31...

Im going to wait on judging rivers this time, despite the numbers. For those of you who watched the game i know i will go uncontested when i say that the recievers were WIDE open all day today and it really wasnt very hard to have a good game. For the most part, i was largely disappointed with the way we won. Although i do recognize the win and the 0 turnovers, id like to point to the pass/run ratio at halftime. it was about 25 pass attempts to 10 runs. This is not acceptable. The ravens we faced today was a fraction of the real ravens defense. This was not a good measuring stick for rivers, and im very unimpressed by his preformance. If anything, i feel it was more evident that the ravens just werent talented, and healthy enough to be on the same field. Thats a harsh thing to say, but waht I'm trying to say is that it wasn't the vaunted ravens defense of old, that stigma should not be attached.

Average OT LB
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't know he's looking fine to me...making good throws, safe throws, not getting sacked, even with no run game to complement him...

He walked off the field and yelled at the crowd, i called it flustered. Also, i feel that he was scrambling and throwing dump off passes for most of the first quarter, which is also another thing i would contribute to my classification of his play at that time. All in all, today did not prove anything to me of any significance..

JK17
11-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Cromartie had his 7th interception taken away, because of an illegal contact penalty on.. #31...

Im going to wait on judging rivers this time, despite the numbers. For those of you who watched the game i know i will go uncontested when i say that the recievers were WIDE open all day today and it really wasnt very hard to have a good game. For the most part, i was largely disappointed with the way we won. Although i do recognize the win and the 0 turnovers, id like to point to the pass/run ratio at halftime. it was about 25 pass attempts to 10 runs. This is not acceptable. The ravens we faced today was a fraction of the real ravens defense. This was not a good measuring stick for rivers, and im very unimpressed by his preformance. If anything, i feel it was more evident that the ravens just werent talented, and healthy enough to be on the same field. Thats a harsh thing to say, but waht I'm trying to say is that it wasn't the vaunted ravens defense of old, that stigma should not be attached.

Really? You were unimpressed? What would you want to see out of him? He made good throws, he found open recievers...what do you want to see, him forcing the ball into tight coverage? Are you not going to be satisifed until every throw is between three defenders and completed?

He played arguably his best game of the season today, but your unimpressed? What more could he have done? It's not like the Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's of the world don't have open receivers etiher...

You can admit he had a great day without being sold on him completely...but thats just foolish to say he was unimpressive today...

JK17
11-25-2007, 07:00 PM
He walked off the field and yelled at the crowd, i called it flustered. Also, i feel that he was scrambling and throwing dump off passes for most of the first quarter, which is also another thing i would contribute to my classification of his play at that time. All in all, today did not prove anything to me of any significance..

If he was scrambling, its because he's pressured...if he stayed in the pocket he'd be sacked and you would say why isn't he avoiding the sack. Then if instead of taking a dump off pass he looked deep and threw a pick, you'd be saying "why didn't he take the safety pattern"....So he played smart football, since when is that a bad thing? He had a couple throws he should have stepped into instead of fading away from...but scrambling out of pressure, and throwing safety routes isn't exactly a bad thing, its taking what the defense gives you..

Average OT LB
11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Really? You were unimpressed? What would you want to see out of him? He made good throws, he found open recievers...what do you want to see, him forcing the ball into tight coverage? Are you not going to be satisifed until every throw is between three defenders and completed?

He played arguably his best game of the season today, but your unimpressed? What more could he have done? It's not like the Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's of the world don't have open receivers etiher...

You can admit he had a great day without being sold on him completely...but thats just foolish to say he was unimpressive today...

okay so your first few comments are explained by your last. You acknowledge that i saied he played well without being sold on him completely. This sentence explains the entire paragraph. You watched the game, it was moreso that if he hadnt done what he did there would have been problems. The very sentence you highlighted is the main focus as to what i believe strongly- that this game is not a good measuring stick. As for being unimpressed, how can anyone be impressed when he was playing against such an inferior opponent?

Rivesr is at a real low, hes gone through a funk. If after this game your ready to "go ahead and crown em" then fine go ahead. I will reserve my judgemtn until i see rivers play a formidable opponent.

Average OT LB
11-25-2007, 07:37 PM
If he was scrambling, its because he's pressured...if he stayed in the pocket he'd be sacked and you would say why isn't he avoiding the sack. Then if instead of taking a dump off pass he looked deep and threw a pick, you'd be saying "why didn't he take the safety pattern"....So he played smart football, since when is that a bad thing? He had a couple throws he should have stepped into instead of fading away from...but scrambling out of pressure, and throwing safety routes isn't exactly a bad thing, its taking what the defense gives you..

Dont badger me. What i have said is not searching desperately for imperfections but instead pointing things out for what they really are. Rivers did nothing in the first quarter that can be called great play. In fact, i was rolling my eyes remarking at how the bad rivers had shown up. Then they get the running game going and he is able to throw to recievers with single man coverage. I do not feel that there is an NFL quarterback that could not have picked apart the team by the way the ravens were playing. Its not even that LT played all that great, just the ravens were ready to defend against a much greater threat and stayed strong against the run all day long.

JK17
11-26-2007, 02:29 PM
No matter what, at least in pass protection, the O-Line was significantly better and its no coincidence that Rivers played better with the blocking...

I think a lot of that goes back to finally having Hardwick back in the lineup....

Average OT LB
11-26-2007, 05:12 PM
No matter what, at least in pass protection, the O-Line was significantly better and its no coincidence that Rivers played better with the blocking...

I think a lot of that goes back to finally having Hardwick back in the lineup....

To that extent I agree mightily, Hardwick is very important to rivers success and remains one of the more underrated centers in football..

JK17
11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
To that extent I agree mightily, Hardwick is very important to rivers success and remains one of the more underrated centers in football..

Did Hell just freeze over, or did we actually agree on something? Haha...

In other news, we got five games left this season....Kansas City, Denver, Oakland, Detroit, and Tennesee (Not in that order)...

In theory we are better then all of these teams, and should end the season 11-5. It won't happen that way...any guesses on how it ends up for us?

I'm thinking we end at 9-7 or 10-6...We'll lose at least one, and if I had to bet on it, I'd say it would be Kansas City, as Rivers has struggled mightily with them and its in KC....the other ones are hard to pick because we should beat all those teams, its just which team shows up on that day...in Detroit might be tough, and Tennessee Offensive and Defensive lines are so strong...And if Denver is still in the hunt for the AFC West (how could they not be considering we'll certainly find a way to keep them in) that game could be a huge pitfall for us too...

Thoughts?

sdpads24
11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I think the chances of us going 11-5 are pretty good. The Titans suck, the Lions are bad, and of course the rest of our division is terrible. I would be suprised/disappointed if we went anything worse than 10-6.

Average OT LB
11-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I think the chances of us going 11-5 are pretty good. The Titans suck, the Lions are bad, and of course the rest of our division is terrible. I would be suprised/disappointed if we went anything worse than 10-6.

I'm somewhat expecting 9-7 and missing the playoffs.. cant really predict too much with this team its very inconsistant

sdpads24
11-26-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm somewhat expecting 9-7 and missing the playoffs.. cant really predict too much with this team its very inconsistant

So you think Denver is gonna win out? I can't see it happening. Even if we do go 9-7, I think its still very likely that we'll make the playoffs.

Average OT LB
11-26-2007, 11:32 PM
So you think Denver is gonna win out? I can't see it happening. Even if we do go 9-7, I think its still very likely that we'll make the playoffs.

okay so you brought up an interesting point. First of all, its off topic, but I'm also a mets fan.. and after their historic late season collapse I dont disregard 'very unlikely'... haha

so onto the interesting point. I have kinda a feeling that the chargers finish 9-7 and dont make it. Now, in order for the broncos to outright win the division (if we go 9-7) they would have to win all of their games... which is very encouraging seeing as how that just aint gonna happen. But I looked at our schedule and asked two questions. 1) Can we actully win 3 of our last 5 games? 2) What breaks a tie?

1) This year, we are 6-5 and 5 of those wins come at home. we have 3 games of 5 that are on the road, where we have only 1 win all year. Now, if we lose 2 of the 3 road games, then lose to denver ( a very likely scenario given how we've plaeyd and denver being a divisional opponent) we would be 8-8 and we would have a 1-1 headsup tie with the broncos.

..which leads me to..

2)
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.

This is an oder to which officials use to break a tie. At the moment, the first few things are close enough to be completely differnt at the end fo the year.

I'm pessimistic.. i know sigh..

JK17
11-26-2007, 11:43 PM
I still see us making the playoffs....9-7 is what I'm leaning towards but 8-8 or 10-6 wouldn't suprsie me....11-5 and 7-9 though I just do not see happening...

As little faith as I have in us though, I have just as little faith in Denver to be able to win their important games this season.

Average OT LB
11-26-2007, 11:50 PM
I still see us making the playoffs....9-7 is what I'm leaning towards but 8-8 or 10-6 wouldn't suprsie me....11-5 and 7-9 though I just do not see happening...

As little faith as I have in us though, I have just as little faith in Denver to be able to win their important games this season.

Rivers is what? 13-1 as a starter at home? All hes gotta do is win vs denver at home and it should be of no consequence what happens the rest of the way.

Say we do go ahead and make playoffs what do you see happening to Norv Turner? especially if we win a game..

JK17
11-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Rivers is what? 13-1 as a starter at home? All hes gotta do is win vs denver at home and it should be of no consequence what happens the rest of the way.

Say we do go ahead and make playoffs what do you see happening to Norv Turner? especially if we win a game..

It's a tricky question with Norv...if he wins...can we fire him? I mean, I know I want him gone, I don't have any faith in him right now unless he's able to turn this team around...but can you fire a coach after a playoff win? I know 14-2 we did...but that was because of a lack of success in the playoffs...

I guess it depends how far he takes us...one win, maybe you can fire him...two would mean we're in the AFCCG...can you fire someone when they take you there?

Average OT LB
11-27-2007, 12:20 AM
It's a tricky question with Norv...if he wins...can we fire him? I mean, I know I want him gone, I don't have any faith in him right now unless he's able to turn this team around...but can you fire a coach after a playoff win? I know 14-2 we did...but that was because of a lack of success in the playoffs...

I guess it depends how far he takes us...one win, maybe you can fire him...two would mean we're in the AFCCG...can you fire someone when they take you there?

I'd say it depends who is out there in terms of coaching.. like of course if cowher is out there we get him thats easy.. but if nobody is out there i doubt there will be a change.

regardless, I want him gone. LT is having the worst year in years, and theres nothing i take pride in more than having the best running back in perhaps the entire history of the NFL on my favorite team. I enjoy merriman, i like gates, I'm entertained by cromartie. But tomlinson is where its at. The man is just amazing and his numbers are suffering and for what?? wins? This has caused me to add to my distaste for rivers. If Rivers was at least competent then fine i can live with it. But man does it bug me when rivers throws for 3 tds and only 250 yards and LT gets nothing. I just find that so severely.. ughhh... i dunno.. im rambling haha.. GO LT .. i get to vote for the first time, LTs my write in whooo

sdpads24
11-27-2007, 12:23 AM
I think Norvs gonna stay if we make the playoffs(win or lose). Do I want that to happen? No way, but I think Spanos will be inclined to give Norv another chance given thats its his first year. I doubt AJ will like it though.

Average OT LB
11-27-2007, 12:26 AM
I think Norvs gonna stay if we make the playoffs(win or lose). Do I want that to happen? No way, but I think Spanos will be inclined to give Norv another chance given thats its his first year. I doubt AJ will like it though.

you dont think AJ likes norv? interesting. I'd love for AJ to push out Norv and go get a unnamed coach that turns out to be amazing. Lke a mike tomlin or mangini. I'm just impressed with those kinda guys.

Yeah so good question, If we do replace Norv, what kinda coach needs to replace him?

sdpads24
11-27-2007, 12:33 AM
you dont think AJ likes norv? interesting. I'd love for AJ to push out Norv and go get a unnamed coach that turns out to be amazing. Lke a mike tomlin or mangini. I'm just impressed with those kinda guys.

Yeah so good question, If we do replace Norv, what kinda coach needs to replace him?

I think that AJ does like Norv, but since Norv has obviously let everyone down this year, I'm assuming he's let AJ down as well. I would love to have a Bill Cowher type coach in San Diego. The only problem would be finding a OC that could let LT continue his greatness.