PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Chargers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

SuperKevin
11-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I'd love to see the Chargers pursue Norm Chow as head coach. Maybe he can finally get Rivers to take that next step

M.O.T.H.
11-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Should have just handed the job to Munusky...yeah...he was only a LB coach but, he's an up and comer and knew Wade's defense well. At the very least they should have handed him the the Coordinator job.

Average OT LB
11-27-2007, 12:35 AM
I think that AJ does like Norv, but since Norv has obviously let everyone down this year, I'm assuming he's let AJ down as well. I would love to have a Bill Cowher type coach in San Diego. The only problem would be finding a OC that could let LT continue his greatness.

good call, maybe we should give cameron a call.. seeing as how hes probably gonna be on the market..

sdpads24
11-27-2007, 12:36 AM
I'd love to see the Chargers pursue Norm Chow as head coach. Maybe he can finally get Rivers to take that next step

Thats kind of like hiring a Norv Turner type coach all over again. I would rather see a strong character guy take over.

M.O.T.H.
11-27-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm sure Carroll is at the top of the list...Even if they make the playoffs...Norv should be on the outs. Guy doesnt know how to run a team.

sdpads24
11-27-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm sure Carroll is at the top of the list...Even if they make the playoffs...Norv should be on the outs. Guy doesnt know how to run a team.

It would be interesting to see what Carroll could do in the NFL now. I just think his coaching style is more for the college game. If he was smart he would keep his job at USC imo.

Average OT LB
11-27-2007, 12:40 AM

yeah but do you really think Carroll is gonna leave the cozy ncaa?

besides woudl he produce in the big bad NFL.. spurrier struggeled..idk thinkin out loud..

SuperKevin
11-27-2007, 12:40 AM

Carroll would never leave but they might be able to take Sarkisian from USC

SuperKevin
11-27-2007, 12:41 AM
yeah but do you really think Carroll is gonna leave the cozy ncaa?

besides woudl he produce in the big bad NFL.. spurrier struggeled..idk thinkin out loud..

Well technically Carroll struggled in the NFL first with the Jets

Average OT LB
11-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Well technically Carroll struggled in the NFL first with the Jets

and knowing that, youd still want him?

M.O.T.H.
I think given the opportunity Carroll may leave. It is a great job to have...plenty of elite players to work w/ on both sides of the ball. I think he'll get the first look...if Norv gets canned that is...which I really hope he does.

SuperKevin
and knowing that, youd still want him?

I didn't say that I wanted Carroll

M.O.T.H.
11-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Spurrier didn't belong in the NFL to begin with...I think things would work out differently for Carroll. Also...unlike w/ Spurrier, Carroll would be set up to succeed right away. The ole ball coach didnt have much to work with...it aslo didnt help that a third of the team was comprised of Gators that couldnt play in the NFL.

Average OT LB
11-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I didn't say that I wanted Carroll

my apologies your correct..

I wouldnt want carroll, simply because hes not an NFL guy. I'd much rather have some noname defensive coordinator then a big name college guy.

M.O.T.H.
11-27-2007, 01:01 AM
As long as you guys dont take Garrett...I'm happy. Perhaps Rivera will get a nice long look...he was real hot last year. I'm sure he'll be going through some more interview processes this off-season.

JK17
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I think we need a guy whose a proven winner, which is the big problem. Any one who isn't a proven winner, is just a risk to be another Norv Turner...Bill Cowher is the ideal fit...

Will that happen? No, not at all, he won't coach in SD...but I can dream...

3-4, blitz heavy defense, power run game, making the QB a game manager type like Big Ben was, disciplinarian....sigh....

sdpads24
11-29-2007, 03:55 PM
So it looks like Jeromey Clary got the starting nod over Olivea this week. What do you guys think? It seemed that he was a boost to our offense when he came in against the Ravens. Hopefully he can continue to develop and let Olivea move over to RG.

JK17
11-29-2007, 07:04 PM
So it looks like Jeromey Clary got the starting nod over Olivea this week. What do you guys think? It seemed that he was a boost to our offense when he came in against the Ravens. Hopefully he can continue to develop and let Olivea move over to RG.

That would be nice if he could pan out like that...I had to watch the game on a p2p thing on my computer and the quality was terrible, so I didn't specifically see how players like the linemen did...it was just too blurry...

I did notice an overall improvement in the O-Line but attriubted it to Hardwick...was Clary very good?

SuperKevin
11-29-2007, 07:12 PM

I think Olivea is going to be either dealt or released in an effort to save money

San Diego Chicken
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
I think Olivea is going to be either dealt or released in an effort to save money

That might be the way AJ is leaning at this point. Olivea's play has really slid lately. The Chargers can't seem to run right very well at all, even with teams loading up to the left. Also, he hasn't been great in pass protection. I think his lack of size at RT is catching up to him. In a potentially deep draft for tackles, AJ should scoop one up.

Average OT LB
11-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Thats an interesting theory, I really wouldnt mind it seeing how he lost his job.. AJ has had this thing about keeping players, so i guess we'll see..

i think florence should go too, thats semi-related

bantx
11-29-2007, 08:15 PM
im happy with w/e just get norv out of here i just cant see how u turn a 14-2 team into this

sdpads24
11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Olivea was given a multiyear year deal not too long ago so it may be difficult to get rid of him. As for Clary, I didn't really keep an eye on him during the game so I'm not really sure how well he played. If you can take Norv Turner's word for it though, he said he was a big boost to the running game.

sdpads24
12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
We certainly didn't play our best football today against a very mediocre team, but we came away with a W and that's all that matters. We're now 2 games up on the division and in very good position to make the playoffs. If we can get some kind of winning streak going right now we could possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

SuperKevin
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Antonio Cromartie has quickly become one of the AFC's best defensive backs. I'd be shocked if he didn't make the pro bowl

JK17
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
We certainly didn't play our best football today against a very mediocre team, but we came away with a W and that's all that matters. We're now 2 games up on the division and in very good position to make the playoffs. If we can get some kind of winning streak going right now we could possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

If we can just win 3 of our next four we'll be sitting at 10-6 going into the playoffs, relatively on a good note with a strong back end of work...I could only listen on the radio to the game, but it sounded like the D did a little better in making big plays...

JK17
12-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Also, big milestone for LT passing Walter Payton in rushing touchdowns today...He's about 53 from number one though....

SuperKevin
12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Also, big milestone for LT passing Walter Payton in rushing touchdowns today...He's about 53 from number one though....

Which means he's roughly two seasons away from breaking it

sdpads24
12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
If we can just win 3 of our next four we'll be sitting at 10-6 going into the playoffs, relatively on a good note with a strong back end of work...I could only listen on the radio to the game, but it sounded like the D did a little better in making big plays...

Philp Rivers kind of reverted to his bad self today in the first half but our run game kept us in it. Overall I would give him a C. Kansas City's o-line sucks and we had pressure on the QB every down which contributed to some of the interceptions.

Average OT LB
12-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Just heard a rumor that Norv is going to be around next year regardless, and that its been the plan all along to give him 2 years.. The rumor was supposedly confirmed by "sources high in the chargers organization"..

horrible news.. Its a sad day for bolt fans...

JK17
12-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Just heard a rumor that Norv is going to be around next year regardless, and that its been the plan all along to give him 2 years.. The rumor was supposedly confirmed by "sources high in the chargers organization"..

horrible news.. Its a sad day for bolt fans...

I wouldn't be suprised. I love AJ and trust him completely, but there's no denying he has an ego.

There was no way he could bring in Norv and get rid of him in a year if it didn't work. He'll give Norv every chance to succeed...even though I want to see Norv gone...

Although we have won 6 of our last 8...if we can hit 10-6 or 11-5...hey that's not exactly a bad season...not what we expected...but not bad.

Average OT LB
12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
The Chargers get the ball at their own 35 with 1:42 on the clock.

1st-10, SD 35, 1:42 SD committed 5 yard penalty
1st-15, SD 30, 1:41 P. Rivers incomplete pass down the middle
2nd-15, SD 30, 1:38 P. Rivers passed to A. Gates to the right for 1 yard loss
3rd-16, SD 29, 1:29 P. Rivers incomplete pass to the right
4th-16, SD 29, 1:10 M. Scifres punt, no return

good job rivers, as usual. I guess the sun was in his eyes or something...

JK17
12-03-2007, 12:44 PM
The Chargers get the ball at their own 35 with 1:42 on the clock.

1st-10, SD 35, 1:42 SD committed 5 yard penalty
1st-15, SD 30, 1:41 P. Rivers incomplete pass down the middle
2nd-15, SD 30, 1:38 P. Rivers passed to A. Gates to the right for 1 yard loss
3rd-16, SD 29, 1:29 P. Rivers incomplete pass to the right
4th-16, SD 29, 1:10 M. Scifres punt, no return

good job rivers, as usual. I guess the sun was in his eyes or something...

You're really going to pick out one drive, in a two touchdown victory, on the road, in Decemeber, at Arrowhead to cry about? I don't remember what the penalty was, if its a false start how is that Rivers' fault? He missed 2 passes, and Gates was tackled on another...while conducting the whole drive on difficult to convert situations (at least 15 yards to go each time, in a two minute drill).

He's not going to complete every single pass, don't look for reasons to complain.

M.O.T.H.
12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I heard the Norv rumor also but, I'm not completely sold on it.

Average OT LB
12-03-2007, 02:19 PM
You're really going to pick out one drive, in a two touchdown victory, on the road, in Decemeber, at Arrowhead to cry about? I don't remember what the penalty was, if its a false start how is that Rivers' fault? He missed 2 passes, and Gates was tackled on another...while conducting the whole drive on difficult to convert situations (at least 15 yards to go each time, in a two minute drill).

He's not going to complete every single pass, don't look for reasons to complain.

I dont think its just one particular drive, its a rather important one in fact- the two minute drill. If you dont think thats reason enough to complain - the fact that our quarterback continues to falter in high pressure situations - then perhaps you should check yourself.

JK17
12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I dont think its just one particular drive, its a rather important one in fact- the two minute drill. If you dont think thats reason enough to complain - the fact that our quarterback continues to falter in high pressure situations - then perhaps you should check yourself.

I think your making mountains out of molehills. Yes, he struggle in that situation, but it was in the first half, it was back up deep in his own territory on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and longs....I mean he missed on first down, tried to pick up sure yards with Gates on second to make it manageable, and then was in a 3rd and 16...

Bad job? Yeah, on that drive. A serious concern coming out of that game? I don't think so...

Average OT LB
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I think your making mountains out of molehills. Yes, he struggle in that situation, but it was in the first half, it was back up deep in his own territory on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and longs....I mean he missed on first down, tried to pick up sure yards with Gates on second to make it manageable, and then was in a 3rd and 16...

Bad job? Yeah, on that drive. A serious concern coming out of that game? I don't think so...

Wouldnt the correct place of mind be considered that it was a serious concern coming into that game, and that he did nothing to help it and in fact made it worse? and btw i still dont see the "mountain of molehills" which i'm sure you said because it sounded clever... because all you said is basically, he made a mistake, then tried to fix it, couldnt and put himself into a bad situation where he couldnt succeed and then eventually failed.. so point to me the excuse?..

JK17
12-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Wouldnt the correct place of mind be considered that it was a serious concern coming into that game, and that he did nothing to help it and in fact made it worse? and btw i still dont see the "mountain of molehills" which i'm sure you said because it sounded clever... because all you said is basically, he made a mistake, then tried to fix it, couldnt and put himself into a bad situation where he couldnt succeed and then eventually failed.. so point to me the excuse?..

Well then let me explain what it means since you don't seem to get it. It's taking a small problem and making it out to be a much bigger deal. I'm saying with the situation he was in, and the fact that we did come out with a fairly decisive victory in a hostile environment, that perhaps you are just nitpicking on a quarterback who I know you are already looking for any excuse to bash.

Yes, he didn't improve on his 2 minute drill, but what was most concerning with Phil's two minute drill was not that from the second half, but at the end of the game. He didn't turn the ball over, he hit the reciever on one play which the receiver didn't do anything with, and was in a bad spot on 3rd and 16 that he had to look for a big play with help from a receiver. He didn't get that help, hence the lack of a successful two minute drill in this sitatuion.

However, its not like this is a huge major issue that we need to panic over, its a relatively insignificant part of this game. Had it come down to the wire and he cost us the game or had he turned the ball over in our territory going into halftime, it would be a problem. But neither of those things occured, it was just a failed attempt at a first down, like any other one we might see from Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Not a huge deal. We're not going to score every time we have the ball. Also, what if we was trying to ensure he didn't turn the ball over there? Would you rather have him forcing things again that result in momentum shifters for the other team?

Average OT LB
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Well then let me explain what it means since you don't seem to get it. It's taking a small problem and making it out to be a much bigger deal. I'm saying with the situation he was in, and the fact that we did come out with a fairly decisive victory in a hostile environment, that perhaps you are just nitpicking on a quarterback who I know you are already looking for any excuse to bash.

Yes, he didn't improve on his 2 minute drill, but what was most concerning with Phil's two minute drill was not that from the second half, but at the end of the game. He didn't turn the ball over, he hit the reciever on one play which the receiver didn't do anything with, and was in a bad spot on 3rd and 16 that he had to look for a big play with help from a receiver. He didn't get that help, hence the lack of a successful two minute drill in this sitatuion.

However, its not like this is a huge major issue that we need to panic over, its a relatively insignificant part of this game. Had it come down to the wire and he cost us the game or had he turned the ball over in our territory going into halftime, it would be a problem. But neither of those things occured, it was just a failed attempt at a first down, like any other one we might see from Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Not a huge deal. We're not going to score every time we have the ball. Also, what if we was trying to ensure he didn't turn the ball over there? Would you rather have him forcing things again that result in momentum shifters for the other team?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, cause i for one think its a big problem - not being able to even get positive yards on a 2 minute drill... hell he took 30 seconds off the clock and gave the ball back!! we're one of the worst 2 minute defenses in the leauge, and we got a quarterback who likes to make it a routine giving up the ball inside those precious minutes..

now you may be right in one area, i may be nitpicking. That is possible. But what is fact is that you have these blinders on when it comes to critism of rivers. My god, the guy is a below average quarterback, and you make it out to be like nothings a problem. Well I think about the playoffs, and when it comes down to it, the things that we a non issue in a blow out win can be huge in the playoffs.

as for your explanation as to his failure, i agree with you. i still fail to see WTF your trying to say. How are you explaining it? He screwed up on first, penalty, a pass for a loss, and then the explanation was how was he supposed to convert 3rd and 16? How about NOT being an idiot 3 plays before. how about making sure you complete that first crucial pass. How about making a better read and not throwing for a one yard loss the next play.

Regardless we are just going to argue in circles, we completely disagree. Just next time, when you want to use phrases illustrating my incompetence make sure you yoursefl have your head screwed on right.. "mountains of molehills" hahaha

JK17
12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
We're just going to have to agree to disagree, cause i for one think its a big problem - not being able to even get positive yards on a 2 minute drill... hell he took 30 seconds off the clock and gave the ball back!! we're one of the worst 2 minute defenses in the leauge, and we got a quarterback who likes to make it a routine giving up the ball inside those precious minutes..

now you may be right in one area, i may be nitpicking. That is possible. But what is fact is that you have these blinders on when it comes to critism of rivers. My god, the guy is a below average quarterback, and you make it out to be like nothings a problem. Well I think about the playoffs, and when it comes down to it, the things that we a non issue in a blow out win can be huge in the playoffs.

as for your explanation as to his failure, i agree with you. i still fail to see WTF your trying to say. How are you explaining it? He screwed up on first, penalty, a pass for a loss, and then the explanation was how was he supposed to convert 3rd and 16? How about NOT being an idiot 3 plays before. how about making sure you complete that first crucial pass. How about making a better read and not throwing for a one yard loss the next play.

Regardless we are just going to argue in circles, we completely disagree. Just next time, when you want to use phrases illustrating my incompetence make sure you yoursefl have your head screwed on right.. "mountains of molehills" hahaha

Alright man, I'll just try to keep my "head screwed on right"...

San Diego Chicken
12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I thought yesterday was a great win. Say what you want abou the Chiefs this year, but the Chargers have never played well at Arrowhead even when they have been good. I loved seeing the defense have a sack party, really dominated up front. On offense, more good stuff up front, LT had room all day and was able to get some great momentum going through the hole. Rivers wasn't great, but I didn't worry about that too much because he never has played well against KC - 4 games against the Cheifs and this was probably the best one he's had. That TD pass to Jackson was really nice.

Next week though, I'm worried, another road game against a physical opponent, and they just got Albert Haynesworth back. It's a big game, they need it too to stay in the playoff hunt... if the Chargers can pull it out I think they can ride that momentum right into the playoffs and be a dangerous team. A 7 game winning streak going into the playoffs would be really great but I don't want to get ahead of myself... we know that if everything comes together this team is one of the best in the league, just need to bring it game after game.

bantx
12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
didnt get to watch :( but i saw the stats and highlites good stuff from LT

Average OT LB
12-04-2007, 01:02 AM
I thought yesterday was a great win. Say what you want abou the Chiefs this year, but the Chargers have never played well at Arrowhead even when they have been good. I loved seeing the defense have a sack party, really dominated up front. On offense, more good stuff up front, LT had room all day and was able to get some great momentum going through the hole. Rivers wasn't great, but I didn't worry about that too much because he never has played well against KC - 4 games against the Cheifs and this was probably the best one he's had. That TD pass to Jackson was really nice.

Next week though, I'm worried, another road game against a physical opponent, and they just got Albert Haynesworth back. It's a big game, they need it too to stay in the playoff hunt... if the Chargers can pull it out I think they can ride that momentum right into the playoffs and be a dangerous team. A 7 game winning streak going into the playoffs would be really great but I don't want to get ahead of myself... we know that if everything comes together this team is one of the best in the league, just need to bring it game after game.

I agree the tennessee game is gonna be huge. If we win, we're pretty much in the playoffs, if we lose, it makes denver a must win or else we might be out. Either way its gonna be important. Along with significance, the difficulty will surely be a problem, seeing as how the titants match up well with us. From the pessimistic standpoint, i dont like it very much. Its hard for me to build confidence in the chargers, but a win next week may just do it...

Average OT LB
12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Below are the Chargers nominees for this week's GMC Defensive Player of the Week, FedEx Ground NFL Players of the Week, and Motorola NFL Coach of the Week. Voting is now open until late Thursday afternoon.

Vote Shawne Merriman http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-defense

San Diego Chargers linbacker Shawne Merriman made three sacks, six tackles and a fumble recovery in the Chargers' 24-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Merriman had huge QB pressure on a third-and-10 play early in the fourth quarter to force an incomplete pass and a KC punt.

Vote Ladainian Tomlinson http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-air-and-ground

San Diego Chargers running back Ladainian Tomlinson rushed for 177 yards over 23 carries including two touchdowns in the Chargers' 24-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

Vote Norv Turner http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=coaches

San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner led the Chargers to the team's third win in Kansas City since 1996 and his first win ever at Arrowhead in a convincing 24 - 10 victory over the Chiefs. The Chargers offense gained 330 total yards with 197 of them (177 rushing) and two touchdowns coming from LaDainian Tomlinson. Defensively the Chargers were led by LB Stephen Cooper who made 10 tackles and constantly put pressure on Chiefs QB Damon Huard, CB Antonio Cromartie who made two picks both in the SD end zone to prevent Chiefs' scores, and Shawne Merriman who made six tackles and three sacks.

JK17
12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Below are the Chargers nominees for this week's GMC Defensive Player of the Week, FedEx Ground NFL Players of the Week, and Motorola NFL Coach of the Week. Voting is now open until late Thursday afternoon.

Vote Shawne Merriman http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-defense

San Diego Chargers linbacker Shawne Merriman made three sacks, six tackles and a fumble recovery in the Chargers' 24-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Merriman had huge QB pressure on a third-and-10 play early in the fourth quarter to force an incomplete pass and a KC punt.

Vote Ladainian Tomlinson http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-air-and-ground

San Diego Chargers running back Ladainian Tomlinson rushed for 177 yards over 23 carries including two touchdowns in the Chargers' 24-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

Vote Norv Turner http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=coaches

San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner led the Chargers to the team's third win in Kansas City since 1996 and his first win ever at Arrowhead in a convincing 24 - 10 victory over the Chiefs. The Chargers offense gained 330 total yards with 197 of them (177 rushing) and two touchdowns coming from LaDainian Tomlinson. Defensively the Chargers were led by LB Stephen Cooper who made 10 tackles and constantly put pressure on Chiefs QB Damon Huard, CB Antonio Cromartie who made two picks both in the SD end zone to prevent Chiefs' scores, and Shawne Merriman who made six tackles and three sacks.

Wow...Norv Turner up for an award....really? It's a sad day...

Average OT LB
12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Projected Final Regular Season Numbers for Tomlinson, including rankings compared to the other 6 NFL seasons he has had:

318 Carries (6th) 1398 Yards (5th) 15 Touchdowns (4th) 4.4 YPC (4th)

67 Receptions (3rd) 570 Yards (2nd) 2 Touchdowns (t-3rd) 0 Fumbles 0 Lost (1st)

He's not running as much, under 20 carries a game, but he is more involved in the receiving game..

In games where LT has touched the ball more than 25 times, we are 4-0

CC.SD
12-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Here's what I think; despite the 14-2 record, the Bolts weren't ready to win a championship in 06. They pulled out some close games due to miracles (aka LT) and Rivers played out of his mind.

With Norv staying this year and next, that will give AJ time to...

a) build up the receiver group, which he's obviously done; Chambers, Jackson, Davis, and Naanee all look good, and Parker is signed long term.

b) Get the freakin O-line together. In progress. We could use a boost on the right side and McNeill needs to wake up.

If Norv doesn't win this group a championship in 07 or 08, he's gone and we'll be in a situation kind of like the Bucs were before 02; ridiculous talent, but more mature than young and getting desperate.

Shawne Merriman with 2 more years of experience? Nutso. Same with Phillips, Castillo, Olshansky, CROMARTIE, Weddle, McNeill, etc. All young guys right now.

The only real ticking clocks on this team are Jamal and obviously LT. I think they will still be dominant in 09 though. That is shaping up to be our real push year if we haven't broken through already; new coach, with a bunch of expiring contracts after the season.

That said, I'm optimistic about this season right now, and about next year as well. We're a physical team and whenever Rivers gets protection the offense is pretty unstoppable. The defense has a sky high limit and is one more safety away from being truly dominant. If Cottrell keeps the blitz on, of course.

Xenos
12-05-2007, 01:19 PM

The throw to Gates should have gone for at least a first down if Hardwick or Dielman had bothered to block Donnie. It was the right call. It was unfortunate that it wasn't executed well by our line.
Oh if you bothered to watch the game, you've noticed that 5 of his 10 incompletions in that game were throwaways. So I see it as a sign of him not trying to force the ball as much and being smart.

CC.SD
12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
The throw to Gates should have gone for at least a first down if Hardwick or Dielman had bothered to block Donnie. It was the right call. It was unfortunate that it wasn't executed well by our line.
Oh if you bothered to watch the game, you've noticed that 5 of his 10 incompletions in that game were throwaways. So I see it as a sign of him not trying to force the ball as much and being smart.

It would have been a monster play. Hardwick just watches Donnie slip by though, definitely a sour moment.

JK17
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Which would seem to indicate, Average OT LB, that Rivers did make the right smart play. Had he gambled for something else, who knows what could have happened, but I bet it would be much worse then one failed drive in a non-presure situation.

Average OT LB
12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Okay so i guess everyone thinks rivers is a great 2 minute drill guy. I don't. We can agree to disagree im cool with that.

JK17
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Okay so i guess everyone thinks rivers is a great 2 minute drill guy. I don't. We can agree to disagree im cool with that.

We can agree to disagree, but I don't remember anyone saying he was a great 2 minute drill guy. Just that you nitpicking that one drive wasn't indicative of anything...and if it was, it was actaully reasonably handled.

Average OT LB
12-06-2007, 06:33 PM
We can agree to disagree, but I don't remember anyone saying he was a great 2 minute drill guy. Just that you nitpicking that one drive wasn't indicative of anything...and if it was, it was actaully reasonably handled.

If anything i think its a great example of a problem of his. In my opinion, it would be nitpicking as well to say that this one in particular is of no consequence. Now as for nobody saying he was a bad 2 minute drill guy directly thats true. I just feel that arguing what I brought up would mean moreso that someone believed that he was at least adequate at 2 minute drills, rather than to nitpick. If someone agreed with me, i think it would have been mentioned. Perhaps I should not have assumed... but it seems you've been making it a habit of iving me, a fellow charger fan a hard time.

I apologize for giving you such a hard time sir, hopefully i can avoid such situations in the future, cause im well aware the forum police is onto me..

JK17
12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
If anything i think its a great example of a problem of his. In my opinion, it would be nitpicking as well to say that this one in particular is of no consequence. Now as for nobody saying he was a bad 2 minute drill guy directly thats true. I just feel that arguing what I brought up would mean moreso that someone believed that he was at least adequate at 2 minute drills, rather than to nitpick. If someone agreed with me, i think it would have been mentioned. Perhaps I should not have assumed... but it seems you've been making it a habit of iving me, a fellow charger fan a hard time.

I apologize for giving you such a hard time sir, hopefully i can avoid such situations in the future, cause im well aware the forum police is onto me..

Yeah...the forum police...I'm not gonna attack a fellow Charger fan, but I will disagree with you.

You made a comment I disagreed with. I gave reasons as to why I felt you were nitpicking, and then you made a false statement asserting people claiming Rivers was good with the two minute drill.

Average OT LB
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah...the forum police...I'm not gonna attack a fellow Charger fan, but I will disagree with you.

You made a comment I disagreed with. I gave reasons as to why I felt you were nitpicking, and then you made a false statement asserting people claiming Rivers was good with the two minute drill.

well hes still been pretty bad so far in his career with 2 minute drills, and the example i provided is exactly what i called it, an example of a failed 2 minute drill. Nitpick all you want, but regardless of what didnt happen but should have, the play failed. You may blame it on others if you want, but a huge problem as to why rivers fails in these situations is because he is not on the same page as the rest of his team. So where you may say it was anothers fault, i would say that it is first rivers fault for making the wrong play. If anything, i think it goes to show a -1 pass to gates is more or less a show of lack of confidence in rivers to throw the ball. Lets face it, he dumps off the ball and then throws a deep ball to make the stats look better for most of the time... every now and then he may have a godo game.. but only because it would be hard for him not to..

as for my false statement, i dont think it was so much false as you claim. From my perspective, anyone defending rivers in that situation could easily be seen as supporters of his 2 minute drill. Tell me how this is wrong, police officer...

JK17
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
well hes still been pretty bad so far in his career with 2 minute drills, and the example i provided is exactly what i called it, an example of a failed 2 minute drill. Nitpick all you want, but regardless of what didnt happen but should have, the play failed. You may blame it on others if you want, but a huge problem as to why rivers fails in these situations is because he is not on the same page as the rest of his team. So where you may say it was anothers fault, i would say that it is first rivers fault for making the wrong play. If anything, i think it goes to show a -1 pass to gates is more or less a show of lack of confidence in rivers to throw the ball. Lets face it, he dumps off the ball and then throws a deep ball to make the stats look better for most of the time... every now and then he may have a godo game.. but only because it would be hard for him not to..

First of all, I'm curious as to if you watched the game, because I am very curious over how it can possibly be Philip Rivers fault for throwing to an open receiver with two blockers in front of him, and only one defender. Are you joking, you honestly don't want him to throw that ball? How is that the wrong play? How does that make him not on the same page as the team? Doesn't that make the blockers not on the same page? Just try and explain to me how Rivers throwing to an open guy, who you have said you want the ball to go to, with two blockers in front of him, and only one defender is a bad thing.

Then you say it shows a lack of confidence in his baility to throw a deep ball. I guess Vincent Jackson's 38 yard touchdown catch to the back of the endzone doesn't count. Actually, isn't this what he should be doing? Making the safe plays and not forcing the interceptions? I mean, say he forced it deep and got picked? Wouldn't someone like you be all over him saying he's forcing things instead of taking the safe pass to Gates? Who is using stats to justify anything anyway, except for you showing the drive, which as was showed, he made the right decisions on.

as for my false statement, i dont think it was so much false as you claim. From my perspective, anyone defending rivers in that situation could easily be seen as supporters of his 2 minute drill. Tell me how this is wrong, police officer...

No, it was pretty false. You said we all think he runs a great two minute drill, when in fact none of us did. Actaully, what I said was that he doesn't run a great 2 minute drill, but this one example you hand selected doesn't factor into that. Unless of course, you want to make more out of line assumptions and whine about how I'm "calling you out".

JK17
12-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Hey guys, I;ma little drunk so i didnt wanna make a big deal of this but iw as curious if any of you been in the same predicament at any point. I got written up by my RA tonight for undeage drinking....ummjus curious if any of you hvae any prior exrpereince or advice on what i should do next...my roomie passe d out os i put all the balem on me, but now like i said, its all on me...any advice greatly appreciated ....sry for ptuting in chahrgers team forum but i didnt wanna flood the off topic with stuff that no1 relaly cared about..thanks for ne help at all

EDIT: edit, sorry this makes me kinda look like a bithc..but im hammerd n jus look inf for any adfivec, so sry if inaapprotprate

Average OT LB
12-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Cromartie got the start today, and another interception on the opening drive.. thats 9 on the year

Tomlinson is having a tough time running the ball, especially on 2nd downs..

Rivers is a bad quarterback, he just made his 19th turnover of the season, tied for 2nd in the leauge. We drafted him to manage the game and hold onto the ball, and here we are 2nd in the league (14 int 5 fumbles)..

Then again, you can make yet another excuse for him.. Mcneil got beat and allowed the lineman to hit rivers mid throw..

But since I'm not on rivers bandwagon, I would argue that rivers did not step up in the pocket, and threw into triple coverage with 2 underneath and one overtop.. GOOD THROW!

Add:

Gates hurt his back, Merriman has 2 sacks.. Rivers got hurt Volek comes in, on 3rd and 4th and first play he throws deep to VJ- gotta love the confidence

JK17
12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Cromartie got the start today, and another interception on the opening drive.. thats 9 on the year

Tomlinson is having a tough time running the ball, especially on 2nd downs..

Rivers is a bad quarterback, he just made his 19th turnover of the season, tied for 2nd in the leauge. We drafted him to manage the game and hold onto the ball, and here we are 2nd in the league (14 int 5 fumbles)..

Then again, you can make yet another excuse for him.. Mcneil got beat and allowed the lineman to hit rivers mid throw..

But since I'm not on rivers bandwagon, I would argue that rivers did not step up in the pocket, and threw into triple coverage with 2 underneath and one overtop.. GOOD THROW!

Add:

Gates hurt his back, Merriman has 2 sacks.. Rivers got hurt Volek comes in, on 3rd and 4th and first play he throws deep to VJ- gotta love the confidence

Didn't see the Rivers pick so can't say much about it...blocking sucks today, merrmian is getting after it, and the defense looks solid...

question...what good is Volek's confidence if he incompletes it? If Rivers throws that pass is it confidence or a stupid throw?

Average OT LB
12-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Didn't see the Rivers pick so can't say much about it...blocking sucks today, merrmian is getting after it, and the defense looks solid...

question...what good is Volek's confidence if he incompletes it? If Rivers throws that pass is it confidence or a stupid throw?

What i meant was the coaching had good confidence in him. Thats good because, on a 3rd and 4 you dont want to just run because you have to. LT was having a hard time already, and if the defense feels that we arent going to pass, hes going to have an even longer day. The long pass by Volek was basically a statement, like 'hey this guys gonna throw'... and thats good

If rivers threw that pass, it probably would have hung in the air, been picked off and retruend 200 yards for 2 touchdowns... thats the answer you were hoping id give right?

JK17
12-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Yikes Rivers is just having a god awful day.

Average OT LB
12-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Wooowww BIG news. the rumors about rivers and LT have got to be true

What happened: LT was sitting on the bench, and Rivers comes and sits down next to him, at that very second LT gets up and walks away looking very angry.. the announcers arent exactly ignoring that either...

very bad news in terms of chemsitry.

JK17
12-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Wooowww BIG news. the rumors about rivers and LT have got to be true

What happened: LT was sitting on the bench, and Rivers comes and sits down next to him, at that very second LT gets up and walks away looking very angry.. the announcers arent exactly ignoring that either...

very bad news in terms of chemsitry.

Those two just must not get along...I'm not gonna take either's side in this but is anyone else getting annoyed with LT's attitude this year? I love the guy, but everything has been a problem with him this year and he doesn't look like the leader he's been in the past.

Average OT LB
12-09-2007, 02:44 PM
So the Left side of the line, Mcneil in particular, is falling apart and rivers is suffering because of it. First of all, Rivers has little to no pocket presence, and is absolutely atrocious with his feet.. the titans are getting good pressure and rivers is just staring downfeild...its just a recipe for sacks..

The chargers just scored which makes me feel better about the possibility of winning this game.. we were lucky to pin them in such bad field position, but LT is just an unstoppable force.. thank god for him, hes really keeping us in this game..

and i now hate lendale white, because he mocked merrimans sack dance..

JK17
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
For a guy who can't lead a 2 minute drive, Philip Rivers did at least an adequate job of getting that accomplished...its more then i expected wtih that god awful start.

Average OT LB
12-09-2007, 03:29 PM
For a guy who can't lead a 2 minute drive, Philip Rivers did at least an adequate job of getting that accomplished...its more then i expected wtih that god awful start.

it really is inexplicable, but i must give credit where credit is due. the man got us to overtime. He did NOTHING before that, but during hte drive he made a couple good throws and got the job down..

however, that drive should not have happened.. the drive should have been 3 and out, and 10 seconds off the clock. give any nfl a second chance and they'll burn you and thats what we did. Rivers made 1 strong throw to chambers, then rode the coatails of talent into the endzone.

Overtime: He needs to get out of LTs way. LT started slow but hes been so dominant, he needs the ball. Rivers just ended the first drive, and if we lose, it will be because of that 3 an out.

Edit: in addition to other things..

JK17
12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Can't really disagree with anythign you said, he got the job done, which was what we needed...

What do we need to clinch the West, a Denver loss?

bantx
12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
rivers needs to work on his confidence that seems like an issue

Average OT LB
12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I didnt notice but did lo neal come back? i saw that he got hurt and didnt pay attention if he came back or not...

also.. how long has marcus mcneil been like 100 pounds? I was just gazing out how tiny he is now..

JK17
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I didnt notice but did lo neal come back? i saw that he got hurt and didnt pay attention if he came back or not...

also.. how long has marcus mcneil been like 100 pounds? I was just gazing out how tiny he is now..

More seriously, how long has he been unable to pass block...

sdpads24
12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Holy ****.... I'm speechless

TitanHope
12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Good game today guys. Ya'll wanted it more. And good luck for the rest of the season.

JK17
12-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Good game today guys. Ya'll wanted it more. And good luck for the rest of the season.

We got lucky to come away with it, hopefully you guys still make the playoffs, good luck.

TitanHope
12-09-2007, 05:20 PM
If the stars align correctly, but it would be near impossible. We'd likely be against Pittsburgh, and you guys would be hosting the Jaguars. And after those games, we go to NE/Indy. I don't see us overtaking Jacksonville, and frankly, I don't know if we'll be able to catch Cleveland.

As for the luck part, there were a few things I disagreed with. But, we were in the position to win and you guys took advantage. I think thats credited to you guys. Both teams really played their guts out, and you all came out on top. For that, I give ya'll props. If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts...

Average OT LB
12-09-2007, 05:23 PM
If the stars align correctly, but it would be near impossible. We'd likely be against Pittsburgh, and you guys would be hosting the Jaguars. And after those games, we go to NE/Indy. I don't see us overtaking Jacksonville, and frankly, I don't know if we'll be able to catch Cleveland.

As for the luck part, there were a few things I disagreed with. But, we were in the position to win and you guys took advantage. I think thats credited to you guys. Both teams really played their guts out, and you all came out on top. For that, I give ya'll props. If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts...

its tough being a good sport after a difficult loss today... impressive stuff

Xenos
12-10-2007, 12:04 AM
it really is inexplicable, but i must give credit where credit is due. the man got us to overtime. He did NOTHING before that, but during hte drive he made a couple good throws and got the job down..

however, that drive should not have happened.. the drive should have been 3 and out, and 10 seconds off the clock. give any nfl a second chance and they'll burn you and thats what we did. Rivers made 1 strong throw to chambers, then rode the coatails of talent into the endzone.

Overtime: He needs to get out of LTs way. LT started slow but hes been so dominant, he needs the ball. Rivers just ended the first drive, and if we lose, it will be because of that 3 an out.

Edit: in addition to other things..

Geez what's up with all the hate for Rivers? He did well today given how atrocious the line was. And it was his determination that got us that first and second TD. The first TD in particular was impressive given the fact that it was a blown play and Bosch went for his legs again.
And your comments about him moving up in the pocket in his first interception doesn't make any sense, especially considering that McNeill just let Bosch come at Rivers on that play.

Average OT LB
12-10-2007, 01:30 PM
The San Diego Union-Tribune reports Philip Rivers may have suffered a partially torn MCL in Sunday's win over Tennessee.
Rivers had his right knee rolled on early in the second quarter Sunday and didn't return until the start of the third, after having the knee wrapped and a large brace placed on it. The Chargers initially called the injury a "sprain," but will take more tests on Monday. Rivers is expected to be limited in practice this week, and may be in danger of sitting out against Detroit. Dec. 10 - 12:30 pm et

JK17
12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
That's really bad news, as shaky as Rivers has been, Volek and Whitehurst are not better options. It does speak volumes as to what he was able to do on Sunday, playing through an injury like that, especially considering how frequently he had to move in the pocket.

I almost want him to sit out against Detroit. I feel we can handle them without him, and would rather see that then see him keep fighting through it and be worn out in playoff time...but if he's healthy then let him go.

Average OT LB
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
That's really bad news, as shaky as Rivers has been, Volek and Whitehurst are not better options. It does speak volumes as to what he was able to do on Sunday, playing through an injury like that, especially considering how frequently he had to move in the pocket.

I almost want him to sit out against Detroit. I feel we can handle them without him, and would rather see that then see him keep fighting through it and be worn out in playoff time...but if he's healthy then let him go.

I agree, as much as i dislike rivers he is still the best option at quarterback that we have on our roster by a substantial margin. Now, with volek i'm confident eh can handle himself with relative ease but depending on him is a whole other case.. I agree as well when you say he should just sit out, get healthy and play the following week. We've nearly clinched and despite his heroism last sunday, he need not do it again..

just to nitpick haha, lets not get carried away with the moving in the pocket he did. 90% of his moving, if not the act of the throwing, was toward the ground... he didnt do very much evading.. haha I'm harsh i know...

San Diego Chicken
12-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Looks like Merriman is out for the Lions game and perhaps longer. Should we consider shutting him down for the rest of the regular season to rest up for the playoffs? I'm pretty confident that the Chargers can run the table without him and wrap up the division, so I say shut him down until January.

Average OT LB
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3148701

looks like we're gonna be w/o lo neal too...

this isnt as bad news as one would think tho, neal has not been the force has usually has been in the past... going to one back sets and seeing different types of runs are probably going to benefit us in the playoffs, and when (hopefully) we get neal back, well be that much better..

optimistic thinking much?

Average OT LB
12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Looks like Merriman is out for the Lions game and perhaps longer. Should we consider shutting him down for the rest of the regular season to rest up for the playoffs? I'm pretty confident that the Chargers can run the table without him and wrap up the division, so I say shut him down until January.

word on the street is that merriman is calling out the titans for the hit, saying it was on purpose.. of course, thats only the word on the street..

sdpads24
12-10-2007, 09:22 PM
word on the street is that merriman is calling out the titans for the hit, saying it was on purpose.. of course, thats only the word on the street..

It might of been intentional, but it was a legal hit. Was it ethical? Probably not.

sdpads24
12-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Lets assume Denver wins out and we lose 2 out our last 3 including the game against Denver. Who would get the nod if we both went 9-7?

Turtlepower
12-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Lets assume Denver wins out and we lose 2 out our last 3 including the game against Denver. Who would get the nod if we both went 9-7?

It depends on which one you win. It first goes head-to-head and then it goes by division record. So if you guys beat Houston, but lose to Denver and Oakland, they will have a better divisional record. But if you win against Oakland, but lose to Houston and Denver, then it goes by SOS (not to sure about this one).

bantx
12-11-2007, 01:04 AM
the hit on merriman i bet he did say hit merriman but its legal, the play looks like it was designed to do it, crack merriman....but the reason why merriman think the hit was call on him was because he thinks that fisher was mad of the accidental hit that merriman did to vince but u cant argue about it cause it was all legal

JK17
12-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Yeah, I really don't know what Merriman was talking about it was a legal hit....

The only thing I could imagine it being was maybe he heard Fisher ordered the crack, and misinterpreted it too being Fisher ordered him to get taken out? Still, I'm not so sure what he's talking about...

SuperKevin
12-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Wow, Merriman had some pretty harsh words on the radio out here in San Diego. Saying he was looking for the guys who hit him after the game so he could "settle" things.

Average OT LB
12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
word on the street is that LT is also angry about extracurricular activities... case in point, the vanden bosch knee twist, after the play. LT was livid. That play was 3 plays after LT got that personal foul for hitting that guy in the face when he was out of bounds...

stay tuned it'l prollly be on youtube within a few days..

Xenos
12-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I really don't know what Merriman was talking about it was a legal hit....

The only thing I could imagine it being was maybe he heard Fisher ordered the crack, and misinterpreted it too being Fisher ordered him to get taken out? Still, I'm not so sure what he's talking about...

He was talking about the hit that actually sidelined him. Not the TE hit. The one that injured him was a late hit that occurred way after the play was over. Also, Igor stated how Mawae cheap shot Jamal and injured him as well.

Xenos
12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree, as much as i dislike rivers he is still the best option at quarterback that we have on our roster by a substantial margin. Now, with volek i'm confident eh can handle himself with relative ease but depending on him is a whole other case.. I agree as well when you say he should just sit out, get healthy and play the following week. We've nearly clinched and despite his heroism last sunday, he need not do it again..

just to nitpick haha, lets not get carried away with the moving in the pocket he did. 90% of his moving, if not the act of the throwing, was toward the ground... he didnt do very much evading.. haha I'm harsh i know...

You also criticize him for things that are not his fault, like the first interception. You stated that he should have stepped up in the pocket. Well, it's kinda hard to step up when Haynesworth is disrupting the middle of the pocket. Notice that PR did step up in the pocket when Haynesworth was contained.

Average OT LB
12-11-2007, 05:35 PM
You also criticize him for things that are not his fault, like the first interception. You stated that he should have stepped up in the pocket. Well, it's kinda hard to step up when Haynesworth is disrupting the middle of the pocket. Notice that PR did step up in the pocket when Haynesworth was contained.

So i guess that means you think what i bolded was wrong? you think that rivers is mobile? that 90% of his moving wasnt toward the ground? whether you believe it was the lines fault or his, the facts are as such.. rivers does not move well within the pocket. pick on my facetious based forward remarks all you want, i will make my displeasure for rivers no secret.. you will not find any mercy given to him by me, not untill he earns the substantial praise he has be given.

I saw the play, you saw the play. I know and understand that from rivers point of view there was next to nothing he could have done. But i firmly belive, that had the quarterback not been rivers, the pressure and interception could have been avoided. I do not anticipate you to agree with me, nor do i care.

Xenos
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
So i guess that means you think what i bolded was wrong? you think that rivers is mobile? that 90% of his moving wasnt toward the ground? whether you believe it was the lines fault or his, the facts are as such.. rivers does not move well within the pocket. pick on my facetious based forward remarks all you want, i will make my displeasure for rivers no secret.. you will not find any mercy given to him by me, not untill he earns the substantial praise he has be given.

I saw the play, you saw the play. I know and understand that from rivers point of view there was next to nothing he could have done. But i firmly belive, that had the quarterback not been rivers, the pressure and interception could have been avoided. I do not anticipate you to agree with me, nor do i care.
Sure, it could have been avoided by Manning and Brady. That is if the pocket didn't collapse up the middle and to the side! No QB could have avoided that rush unless it was by pure luck. But you'll just continue to live in your bias world and post stupid stat lines to make a point like the KC game.

bantx
12-13-2007, 01:00 AM
More about the hit that merriman claims, pretty interesting, fisher says he didnt call for the hit, and merriman heard that it was a hit from other chargers saying they heard the center talking about it

more on it in this article

another thing i just found out that lo neal is out for season after getting his surgery

Tight end Antonio Gates bruised his back, guard Mike Goff strained his right foot, punter Mike Scifres bruised a rib and defensive tackle Jamal Williams sprained his right ankle. Also, fullback Lorenzo Neal had surgery to put a plate in his broken right leg and will miss the rest of the regular season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3149230

JK17
12-18-2007, 03:58 PM
So we got 8 Pro Bowlers (LT, Gates, Merriman, Williams, Cromartie, Dielman, Osgood, and Lorenzo)...not that it matters at all but not bad.

Although I'm not so sure LoNeal was that deserving, this year, good to see Cromarite get in there, and Osgood keep getting love for what he does on ST.

San Diego Chicken
12-18-2007, 04:29 PM
So we got 8 Pro Bowlers (LT, Gates, Merriman, Williams, Cromartie, Dielman, Osgood, and Lorenzo)...not that it matters at all but not bad.

Although I'm not so sure LoNeal was that deserving, this year, good to see Cromarite get in there, and Osgood keep getting love for what he does on ST.

I'm happy that Dielman got in. He's one of my favorite Chargers, he was an alternate last year I think, but he's deserved it both years. Happy that he got paid in the offseason, stayed a Charger and has continued to be the guts of the offensive line.

Besides LoNeal I don't think Jamal deserved it this year. I thought John Henderson and Casey Hampton should have been in there instead of Jamal and Vince Wilfork.

Average OT LB
12-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm happy that Dielman got in. He's one of my favorite Chargers, he was an alternate last year I think, but he's deserved it both years. Happy that he got paid in the offseason, stayed a Charger and has continued to be the guts of the offensive line.

Besides LoNeal I don't think Jamal deserved it this year. I thought John Henderson and Casey Hampton should have been in there instead of Jamal and Vince Wilfork.

I agree. Its rare to criticize loneal and jamal, but considering their positions are tough to evaluate, and there arent very many whispers amongst analysts as to whose good at those positions.. the fans just voted in who they remember to be good.. pretty much the formula for all sports, and they are chargers so i cant complain.

Average OT LB
12-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Whats everybodys thoughts on Marty possibly going to Atlanta

sdpads24
12-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Marty did great things for the Chargers organization so I'll be happy for him and wish him the best. Atlanta needs a guy that can turn an organization around and Marty has shown that he is a great coach in the regular season. If it were'nt for the playoffs, he would definitely be a hall of fame coach.

Average OT LB
12-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Marty did great things for the Chargers organization so I'll be happy for him and wish him the best. Atlanta needs a guy that can turn an organization around and Marty has shown that he is a great coach in the regular season. If it were'nt for the playoffs, he would definitely be a hall of fame coach.

i hear that.. martys a good guy i wish the best for him.. but i think he should hold out haha, the falcons are terrible.. coach somewhere else!

SuperKevin
12-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Marty will do amazing things for the Falcons mainly because they are a team that is very committed to the running game. As long as Marty doesn't have a team that needs to throw to win games he's a great coach

Average OT LB
12-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Marty will do amazing things for the Falcons mainly because they are a team that is very committed to the running game. As long as Marty doesn't have a team that needs to throw to win games he's a great coach

Yeah thats a little puzzling.. the falcons had 2 high quality backups, and they still were a horrible team. 2 backs like that is usually a sign of a strong team, i guess that coach really did suck..

SuperKevin
12-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Does anyone else think that with a playoff spot locked up and a first round bye out of reach, the Chargers should start resting guys like Rivers, Gates, and Tomlinson now. Personally I'd like to see Charlie Whitehurst get some quality snaps in to see what exactly he brings to the offense. With Rivers not exactly progressing like planned it couldn't hurt to see what the young backup can do

sdpads24
12-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Does anyone else think that with a playoff spot locked up and a first round bye out of reach, the Chargers should start resting guys like Rivers, Gates, and Tomlinson now. Personally I'd like to see Charlie Whitehurst get some quality snaps in to see what exactly he brings to the offense. With Rivers not exactly progressing like planned it couldn't hurt to see what the young backup can do

It would awesome to be able to rest some of our injured players, but we also need to win these final games to keep the 3 seed in the playoffs. Hopefully we can get early lead like we did last week and be able to get some of our backups in. I would much rather play the Colts in the second round than the Patriots.

Average OT LB
12-22-2007, 02:36 PM
I dont like the idea of benching starters too much... Rivers seems to be just getting over the hump so id like to see him play a good deal, get into a groove.. I understand the injury and depending on the severity it would affect the duration of his play obviously...

As for Tomlinson and the rest, there are a bunch of guys that are hurt and need rest (there were a few people that said LT tweaked his hamstring) so for them i wouldnt mind it if they sat out say... the 4th quarter or so..

But the areas having problems, the receiving corps and line, should stay in as long as possible..

JK17
12-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I'd rather see the players keep working, unless injured. Last year we rested for that bye week, and it showed (although not exactly proof of what will happen this year). I'd rather let the offense get some momentum going, heading into the playoffs. Also, I'd rather have the 3 seed, giving us a tiny chance of hosting an AFCCG..

SuperKevin
12-23-2007, 10:55 PM
What does everyone think the odds of Phillip Rivers opting out to become an unrestricted free agent are? The guy would be in for a huge payday being the only young star on the FA market and if Marty Schottenheimer does go to Atlanta then that could be a very attractive option for him. You have to wonder if all the criticism surrounding his erratic play this year is getting to him and he might want to go closer to home.

JK17
12-24-2007, 10:40 AM
What does everyone think the odds of Phillip Rivers opting out to become an unrestricted free agent are? The guy would be in for a huge payday being the only young star on the FA market and if Marty Schottenheimer does go to Atlanta then that could be a very attractive option for him. You have to wonder if all the criticism surrounding his erratic play this year is getting to him and he might want to go closer to home.

I don't think its all that likely, but I never really thought about it before. I would think AJ would try to lock him up soon, although he may want to see more now that he has shown some erratic play. I don't know the exact details of his contract though, but I'd imagine we want to keep him, and Rivers is a competitive guy who wants to win....I can't see him leaving a place where he has a real shot at it for a place like Atlanta.

Average OT LB
12-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't think its all that likely, but I never really thought about it before. I would think AJ would try to lock him up soon, although he may want to see more now that he has shown some erratic play. I don't know the exact details of his contract though, but I'd imagine we want to keep him, and Rivers is a competitive guy who wants to win....I can't see him leaving a place where he has a real shot at it for a place like Atlanta.

I agree, if Rivers goes somewhere, its not going to Atlanta, nor will it be a losing team. also another deterrent may be the length of the contract he may be seeking.. Seeing as he is a young veteran, he may look for a 5 or even 6 year deal.. with that kinda of length comes big money.. There may not be a team willing to risk that, i mean whose going to give a big 5 year deal to a qb whose erratic, when they can draft a young quarterback and groom him to their liking...and its not like you know what your getting from rivers, hes been surrounded by such elite talent his whole career, it would be tough to guage what he would do on a team without that.. from what i've seen, Quality veteran quarterbacks dont move all that often.. Rivers fits that bill...I havent thought about the possibility of Rivers going to another team, but now that i have, i realize its nothing to worry about..

good question btw

JK17
12-24-2007, 10:02 PM
So back to back ten win seasons is pretty impressive, and winning five in a row (six after we beat Oakland) is a good way to go into the playoffs.

Rivers played real well today, so did LT, and we got to get the backups in early. The defense was amazing and has been doing incredible lately. It all looks like it may finally be coming together..

Average OT LB
12-24-2007, 10:54 PM
If you told me a few weeks ago that we'd be playing like this theres no way i'd believe it.. today was a reassurring win for the most part, but especially on rivers end.. his play today was encouraging.. i dont think he was perfect - there were many questionable throws and silly actions - but the wrs made the catches and LT tore it up... Rivers was confident and made strong throws which was great.. his identification of the weakness in the defense was especially surprising for example the VJ pass to beat the cover 2.

On a defensive note, I didnt realize how significant Castillo was to the defense until today.. For awhile i thought he was the probowler that was probably the most expendble, but today really showed me that the defense is just a differnt animal with him in there..

But I'm not gonna get carried away.. The broncos we saw tonight arent the real broncos, that team was dead and seemed very much uninspired..Next year they'll be better than this and im not going to be surprised..

Hines
12-24-2007, 10:55 PM
RAIDERS, RAIDERS, RAIDERS, RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naw I am just kidding. I hope if you guys are the third seed, beat the Colts for us so we can play yall in the AFCG ok.

JK17
12-24-2007, 10:57 PM
RAIDERS, RAIDERS, RAIDERS, RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naw I am just kidding. I hope if you guys are the third seed, beat the Colts for us so we can play yall in the AFCG ok.

Hope we can see you there...best of luck.

JK17
12-24-2007, 10:58 PM
If you told me a few weeks ago that we'd be playing like this theres no way i'd believe it.. today was a reassurring win for the most part, but especially on rivers end.. his play today was encouraging.. i dont think he was perfect - there were many questionable throws and silly actions - but the wrs made the catches and LT tore it up... Rivers was confident and made strong throws which was great.. his identification of the weakness in the defense was especially surprising for example the VJ pass to beat the cover 2.

On a defensive note, I didnt realize how significant Castillo was to the defense until today.. For awhile i thought he was the probowler that was probably the most expendble, but today really showed me that the defense is just a differnt animal with him in there..

But I'm not gonna get carried away.. The broncos we saw tonight arent the real broncos, that team was dead and seemed very much uninspired..Next year they'll be better than this and im not going to be surprised..

The best part about it is that not only have we beaten the Broncs four times in a row, they have a combined six points on us this year. Excellent. A combined 64-6 victory i believe.

Hines
12-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Hope we can see you there...best of luck.

Same to you guys. If we dont make it, the Jags will. Lets all three combine and kick the **** outta the Colts and Pats, deal?

sdpads24
12-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Another good win tonight. All of our starters played great and the coaching staff isn't holding us back like it was in the beginning of the season. I am concerned with Volek as our backup QB however. He looked terrible tonight. Hopefully Whitehurst can be a capable backup next year when Volek is out.

JK17
12-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Another good win tonight. All of our starters played great and the coaching staff isn't holding us back like it was in the beginning of the season. I am concerned with Volek as our backup QB however. He looked terrible tonight. Hopefully Whitehurst can be a capable backup next year when Volek is out.

Yeah I was very confused with the decision to throw Volek in so early. I mean I understand the reasoning, but still think its too early, inside our own 5, only up by 3 scores in the middle of the third...his play was very uninspiring and quite frankly I want to see what Whitehurst can do out there...

Hines
12-24-2007, 11:07 PM
I gotta thank LT for costing me a championship. Why did he have to get injured and pulled?

Xenos
12-25-2007, 12:15 AM

He can opt out of 2010. Whichever sport writer wrote that he can opt out of 2008 is a moron.

San Diego Chicken
12-26-2007, 03:29 AM
Great game Monday guys, hope you all had a great Christmas. Defense is just coming alive lately and eating up opposing offensive lines. Offense played great when Rivers and LT were in there (although when Volek was in... awful, just awful). If people had a problem with how the game ended and the trash talking, screw 'em. The Broncos are scum, Cutler is a sourpuss and an awful leader, and Shanahan can go to hell. Dominating the Donkeys that badly in both games is one of my personal highlights of the season.

The only thing I didn't understand is why Merriman played. He should be rested until the playoffs, predictably he didn't play that hard and had to go to the locker room for something. He should not be playing against the Raiders.

BTW, Brandon McKinney is the future of the NT position. Give him an extension.

bantx
12-26-2007, 02:20 PM
i didnt get to watch all of the game but i got LTs TD i was busy with the fam opening presents for secret santa san diego is 10-5 and got some awesome presents what a great christmas :]

Average OT LB
12-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Anybody see the Champ Bailey Quotes on Rivers.. and his response?

Champs right, Rivers is a little *****

JK17
12-29-2007, 03:08 AM
Rivers is a little *****

Shocking...I never thought I'd hear you speak ill of Rivers...:rolleyes:

Anyway, knock on wood we'll have the 3 seed if we can just beat Oakland like we've done the past couple times we've played them...who would you rather play, Cleveland or Tennesee?

Personally, I'm not overly concerned with either but I'd rather see Cleveland play us then Tennessee, not because of the close game last time, but because of the injuries we got out of that being a much more physical game.

SuperKevin
12-31-2007, 03:52 AM
Sucks to see Antonio Gates fall 16 yards short of 1000 yards and 1 TD short of 10 TDs

JK17
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
So it's now official, Goodell announced it in his address, we're going to be playing the Saints in London next year...what are your thoughts on this?

Personally I like it, I'm excited to get to see the team play overseas like that. It's a great chance to get us ready for a big game, and we won't be losing a home game out of it.

defensiveback23
02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
So it's now official, Goodell announced it in his address, we're going to be playing the Saints in London next year...what are your thoughts on this?

Personally I like it, I'm excited to get to see the team play overseas like that. It's a great chance to get us ready for a big game, and we won't be losing a home game out of it.

I like it a lot also. I'm glad to see that we are finally getting some well deserved exposure. I just wish the first time we got to play Drew again would have been at home on Sunday or Monday Night Football. Hopefully we'll provide the fireworks New York and Miami couldn't to gain more international popularity.

Average OT LB
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I think its only appropriate now that the season is over to get an in depth chargers-only "eat crow" discussion goin...

I'll be the first to say I didn't believe in Phillip Rivers and he flat out proved me wrong by the end of the year. Mans a warrior.

KRS1
02-05-2008, 04:28 PM
My eat crow list would have to be 3 guys...

1st - Norv Turner - I didn't think he would be horrible and I was excited to see what he could do with Rivers after being renowed for working with QB's. I did on the other hand think he was the wrong hire. I thought he would be good for the offense but I just didn't see him motivating or even connecting with the defense on any level. I think after a rough start he really got the guys going and once the offense started rolling they looked great until the injuries.

The other 2 guys are Matt Willhelm and Steven Cooper. I thought Cooper especially really had a good year and Wilhelm seems to be that pesky linebacker that got key INT's like Donnie Edwards used to. I guess I didn't expect them to fall completely on their faces I just didn't think they would be nearly as good of players as they were.

JK17
02-05-2008, 04:37 PM
The guys I was critical about most were Turner and Cotrell at around week 5 or 6....I was wrong about them and didn't really see Cotrell's plan on defense...it wasn't wrong just different then what we had in the past...

Also Cromarite. I remember being very critical of him preseason because it didn't look like he even cared. I always liked him, but wasn't happy with him. However from all accounts not only did he do well on the field, but in the film room and off the field he worked very hard...

I also thought VJ would be able to be a #1 from day one, and he didn't really step up until Chambers was brought in...he did become a strong force after that though.

JK17
02-28-2008, 04:21 PM
So apparently Olivea, McCree, and Neal have been released...

I mean obviously now Weddle takes over at FS, Neal we thought would be gone anyway, and Clary will be at RT, unless we decided to upgrade through the draft....I also guess it means AJ likes Hart more then McCree as well.

defensiveback23
02-28-2008, 08:16 PM
So apparently Olivea, McCree, and Neal have been released...

I mean obviously now Weddle takes over at FS, Neal we thought would be gone anyway, and Clary will be at RT, unless we decided to upgrade through the draft....I also guess it means AJ likes Hart more then McCree as well.

I'm mildly surprised we cut Olivea but apparently he asked to be released so he could compete for a starting job. Good riddance to McCree, I won't miss his late reads and astounding amount of missed tackles.

Thunder&Lightning
02-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Im not to upset about Olivea and Mcree at all. I am sadenned by losing Neal though. AJ best GM in the league cant dissagree with his actions though.

sdpads24
03-01-2008, 12:57 AM
With Mcree gone now we almost have zero depth at the safety position. I wouldn't be suprised at all if we went that direction in free agency with so little picks in the draft.

AlexDown
03-01-2008, 10:47 AM
What can you guys tell me about Shane Olivea? I've seen his stats and unless I am mistaken he has been your starting RT for the last 4 years. Why was he cut?

JK17
03-01-2008, 12:47 PM
What can you guys tell me about Shane Olivea? I've seen his stats and unless I am mistaken he has been your starting RT for the last 4 years. Why was he cut?

He had started to struggle a good amount this year, and ended up losing his starting job towards the end of the year. He's not a "bad tackle" persay, but he did tend to get beat a bunch of times on critical pass plays. It was also dificult for us to run to the right side but that can't be pinned all on him. He was probably overrated a bit last year...not a bad tackle, but he was getting beat to much for us to keep him there.

defensiveback23
03-01-2008, 12:59 PM

In addition to what JK wrote, AJ Smith said he lost his competitive "fire" after the benching. The coaching staff soured on the lazy attitude and poor work ethic he developed. He was a pretty good player since his rookie year but something stopped clicking this season.

SDSupaChargers
03-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Along with what everyone else said, he might be better suited as a G. Many fans wanted to find a replacement tackle for Clary and for Olivea to be Goff's eventual replacement.

jag
03-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Is Drayton Florence any good?

bantx
03-01-2008, 09:27 PM
ok im back guys i finally got over that superbowl lost i took that loss pretty hard now that im finally over it fill me in on some new stuff

Xenos
03-01-2008, 11:38 PM
He's decent. He's got all the physical tools you would want in a corner. It's just that he has stone hands and mental lapses. Plus he gets too emotionally riled up, and that can cost lead to unnecessary penalties.

defensiveback23
03-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Florence is a good player but he is kind of an underachiever. He has all the talent you could ask for it but he rarely plays up to it. The level he usually plays at is good but not what you would expect from a player of his talent. It can be frustrating with him because at times it seems like QBs pick on him at will. He really runs hot and cold when it comes to interceptions. He can make a spectacular read and pick but is far more likely to see a ball hit him right in the hands and drop. He is a very good tackler for a corner and can occasionally lay down a big hit. I am disappointed to lose him and I think he'll improve the jaguars' secondary.

DonWoods33
03-03-2008, 09:43 AM

The thing to remember is the guy started since his rookie year in 03, and kept starting until week 10 this year when they finally started Cro. He played on some pretty good defenses during that time. He was neck and neck being considered their best corner, until Cromartie stepped up. Like others have said he has bad hands, so it would be surprising if he starts catching the ball a lot now. He is a physical, emotional player, and that got him in big time trouble during the NE-SD playoff game, when he got tagged with an inexcusable Personal Foul penalty which was one of the three plays, that had to happen for them to lose that game. He'll be a decent starter, just not a impact guy.

KRS1
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Drayton Florance... Good riddance! The guy was horrible for the Chargers. Yes he started a lot of games for us but it wasn't because he was great it was because he was a 2nd round draft pick. Remember this is the same guy who couldn't beat out Sammy Davis for the starting job. He got a chance to start after Davis was traded and was ok as a young player but after 5 years it's no longer acceptable to make 1st or 2nd year player type of mistakes. If he wasn't getting toasted by a reciever he was getting a PI penalty against him. When he made a tackle he jumped around like he had just made a game changing play. It made me physically sick to watch him play games. He has good size good speed and can jump but he's an idiot. Good luck Jaguars, he's going to make Rashean Mathis look even better.