Scott Wright
11-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Discuss the Chargers here.

I'll start!

What is their biggest need right now?

sweetness34
11-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Aw no one is posting for SD. :cry: :lol:

I'd say their biggest need is a go to WR, but that's me.

bergo23
11-11-2006, 07:22 AM
I would say a WR who can stretch the field with sub 4.4 speed. The next need is a ball hawking safety, and since their are more of the latter, that may be our first round pick.

We also have needs at ILB, and a backup NOSE for Jamal.

11-11-2006, 02:57 PM
im not a chargers fan but i feel sorry that not many people have posted on this so ill tell my opinion.

Offense- WR-Dwyanne Jarret or Tedd Ginn Jr.
Defense- Safety- Laron Landry or Brandon Meriweather :lol:

11-11-2006, 03:07 PM
I think they'll go with PWillie 1st round if hes there but a guard is more likely than WR IMO.

rainbeaukid2
11-11-2006, 03:15 PM
for some reason i feel that they will go after sidney rice, i think that he is like a younger keenan mccardell and that the chargers will draft rice. if not him, i think that they will still go WR in the first

bergo23
11-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Anybody know anything about this kid we just promoted from our practice squad, he played at Mich St.........I was surprised we promoted him over Chase Page given Castillo's injury.....man does it suck we will miss him and Merriman for the Bronco's game.

marks01234
11-12-2006, 10:38 PM
What a win today! I'm convinced Rivers is an NFL top 5 QB. He played virtually flawless in the second half and his final TD was simply amazing. His final TD pass was something that you'd only see from a winner and he's one.

As for needs, the secondardy could really use a standout player. The WRs are young and coming into their own so if we don't take one in the first, I don't think we really need one. More depth at LB and on the DL would be great in the mid-rounds. Also, a tailback should probably be taking pretty early to replace Michael Turner.

Here's a little breakdown. My ideal draft. Being an east coast, ACC guy hopefully it's not to weighted to those guys.

1st - S -Michael Griffin, Texas - Would give us some depth at both safety spots and give us a big time athletic hitter.

2nd - OL - Mike Otto, Purdeu - Would give us depth on all four lineman positions. Would be an ideal fit with our other lineman - athletic, strong at the point of attack and a capable run blocker.

3rd - RB - Tyrone Moss, Miami - Reminds me of Frank Gore and I think he could be a better pro player than a college one. Would be able to fill Michael Turner's role of a backup tailback. Can run between the tackles and has the speed to be a down field threat.

4th - DE - Baraka Atkins, Miami - Might be a bit of a pipe dream that he is available here but I really like him in a 3-4 set and he seems to be falling of late. Nebraska Jay Moore, NC State's Demario Pressley and Brandon Mebane of California would be other guys I would target.

5th - CB - AJ Davis, NC State - Would add some depth at the CB spot and would be an option at the return spots. NC State DBs have performed above expectations for the past few years and Davis is the most athletic of them all.

6th - OLB - Brian Smith, Missouri - Highly productive DE who will be a little bit undersized as a 3-4 OLB but you can't argue with his numbers. Probably won't have the athleticism to be an every down player but that's fine given Phillips and Meriman will be ahead of him.

7th - C - Enoka Lucas, Oregon - Interior line depth isn't a huge problem but it would certainly be welcomed. Lucas is big enough to handle 3-4 NT's and athletic enough to play OG as well as C. He will probably be a couple of years away though.

draftguru151
11-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Atkins won't play in a 3-4, he is a 4-3 DE all the way. I think the Chargers definately need to take a WR in the first two rounds. The Chargers have 4 needs IMO, S, WR, OG, and ILB. If they can get Michael Griffin or LaRon Landry in the first then I think they should take it. If not a guy like Blalock or Ginn would be a great pick.

dcarey20
11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
i'm hoping for patrick willis in round 1

draftguru151
11-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I doubt P Willie lasts that long.

marks01234
11-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, if San Diego doesn't go for a WR for number one, then we shouldn't really target a guy until later in the rounds (now if somebody we really like is available then take him but I say that for every position outside of QB). Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd and Eric Parker are excellent trio of young guys who work well with Rivers. We amlost certainly aren't going to get somebody better than those three after round one. McCardell looks like he still has several more years too.

Of the Ginn/Jarrett/Rice trio, I like Ginn the best because he would provide us the deep threat and an elite return man. Floyd, Jackson and McCardell are all huge too, so a fourth 6'4+ WR might be a bit overkill.

Blalock is a terrible fit for out interior line as well. We'll be targeting lighter more athletic guys.

I like Atkins in the 3-4. He's much bigger than 265 he's listed at (or at least he looks it) and he's been pretty ineffective as a 4-3 DE off the edge. He's athleticism is off the charts but has been ineffective in the 4-3 largely because he can't settle into a position. In the 3-4, he'd be able to provide a pass rush similar to Castillo. Also, San Diego 3-4 isn't the conventional 3-4 that the Steelers run. It's more of a 3-4 hybrid that features a lot of formations with 4 down lineman. Therefore, a ligher DE (290-300) would fit well.

I'd be alright with Willis in the first round. He wouldn't be my first choice just because I don't think he's an elite athlete but he would be a nice upgrade.

Number 10
11-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Have you guys been happy with Cromartie?

marks01234
11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
He's about what we've expected. He got beat by Chad Johnson yesterday pretty bad and whiffed making the tackle. He's going to be a good one though - it will just take some time.

The hope is that he will be a full time starter by the playoffs.

bergo23
11-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I think we need to take an impact type 3-4 NT and I know those are hard to find.......a guy like Alan Branch to groom behind Jamal would be ideal (I can dream can't I.....AJ could package the farm to move up enough to get him).

I was really hoping to get Babatunde last year. I just know 3-4 noses are hard to find, and they come at a premium (Ngata would be the most recent example). We have 2-4th round talents already behind Jamal, but to remain an elite defense for the long haul, we need that anchor for our 3-4.

Would Okam be another possiblity?

Watching Kiel yesterday was painful, we need an elite safety and Griffin or Landry would be the kind of players we need to get better.......so either NT or Safety is the priority in the first round.....cuz I don't think Willis would be available (but would be a great fit an an ILB in our scheme).

Hopefully we can get alot for Turner (maybe a 2nd rounder), or keep him one more year....becuase he is a luxury as a backup to LT, we could win with him running if LT ever got hurt. If we got another pick, its another chance to move up and get one of those elite safety's or an elite backup to Jamal.

snobdmat
11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
i think that we need an elite safety cause jamal still has at least 3-5 years left in this league and there is no point in drafting someone to sit for that long and groom. by now its obvious that the chargers are going to be drafting in the bottom 1/2 this upcoming year so i think that aj will go with bpa be it a safety, wr, ol, dl, or mlb.

parcells
11-13-2006, 08:04 PM
I think you guys peg it pretty well that the Chargers' top 4 needs are a safety to go with McCree (Kiel's not cutting it), OG, ILB, and possibly a speedy WR. They've got some good young bigger WRs, but I would love to see a real small speedster that could potentially give them some help in the kick return game (because Turner might be gone).

parcells
11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Have you guys been happy with Cromartie?

There's no doubt he's shown the ability. He's a rookie and so we're not surprised by inconsistent moments. Still, he covered Torry Holt most of the game a few weeks back and really held him in check. Yesterday, he got absolutely torched on one of Chad Johnson's TD catches (our whole secondary got torched). Still, remember that we lacked Merriman, Castillo, and Shaun Phillips was banged up although playing (over 20 sacks among those 3). Our lack of a pass rush made it tough on our secondary.

San Diego Chicken
11-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Could anyone else see us taking a chance on Merriweather after round one? We've had lots of bad PR lately and this would be a somewhat controversial pick, but it fits with AJ Smith's high stakes draft philosophy, and he'd easily be the best player available at a position of desperate need after round one.

bergo23
11-14-2006, 08:10 AM
I think AJ would shy away from Merriweather, but if he is available in round 2 or 3, and we already have needs filled (WR, OL, ILB).....he would be an awfully tough player to pass up talent wise. I think McCree could keep him humble.

I just hope they get Griffin or Landry, and move up in the first to do it, cuz those guys don't come with questionable character issues. We need a replacement for Kiel that can cover well, McCree is a step slow and needs a compliment that can make plays in pass coverage.

marks01234
11-15-2006, 09:13 AM
PTI yesterday called PR best QB in the league beside Peyton.

Might be a bit early to call him that but I would be hard pressed to find 5 other QBs in the league that I want as my starter today.

And if we started the Rivers/Eli/Big Ben debate again, I don't think it would last three pages because there would be no debate.

San Diego Chicken
11-16-2006, 01:45 AM
PTI yesterday called PR best QB in the league beside Peyton.

Might be a bit early to call him that but I would be hard pressed to find 5 other QBs in the league that I want as my starter today.

And if we started the Rivers/Eli/Big Ben debate again, I don't think it would last three pages because there would be no debate.

When you look at it he really hasn't had a bad game. His worst was probably the KC game, but even then he put the Chargers in a position to win in the end (except when he froze up a bit on the last drive, something I felt he more than made up for on Sunday).

That's one major thing he has over Brees, is that he's more consistent from week to week. Brees had games when he was on fire last year (Giants game, Buffalo game, Patriots game) and games where he really cost the team (last KC game, Denver game, Dallas game, Redskins game although LT saved his butt). For the most part, Rivers is steady from game to game. Oh, and Rivers is taller, gets rid of the ball faster, doesn't fumble as much, has a stronger arm, doesn't make as many bad desisions and is just awesome in every way 8)

marks01234
11-16-2006, 09:41 AM
^ yea I'm with you on Rivers over Brees. I don't want to throw Brees under a bus because he's great and we'd be very good with him too.

Rivers seems to have that mojo that makes you a winner. Down 21 points it takes a heck of a leader to round up the troops and get everybody on the same page. Rivers allows us to open up our offense some too and I think that has helped LT. Safeties now have to respect the deep ball at all times and that gives him a bit more open space to make his moves.

I really hope we can stay healthy going into the playoffs. There is no reason why a healthy Chargers team can't win it all. I'm just smiling thinking of the pressure we could put on old Peyton.

hans3n
11-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Has anyone heard anything about if Castillo will be playing this sunday against the Broncos? He's still listed as questionable today.

draftguru151
11-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Has anyone heard anything about if Castillo will be playing this sunday against the Broncos? He's still listed as questionable today.

I heard he won't play.

njx9
11-19-2006, 11:14 PM
you people may have just surpassed oakland as my least favorite NFL team.

but congrats on the win.

San Diego Chicken
11-20-2006, 01:01 AM
I've been a Chargers fan for years and can't remember a bigger regular season win. This is the most talented and potentially the best Chargers team ever.

bergo23
11-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Not having Castillo and Merriman really killed us against the run, but this team is showing special ability to come back....this is what champions are made of.

Denver has a rough road at KC on Thanksgiving, then us in SD.

Hopefully we can get a kid to play back there with McCree, that is the one glaring weakness on our defense.

njx9
11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
as bad as our offense was, i'm almost ready to concede the division to you guys, based on the fact that plummer was pathetic WITHOUT merriman in his face. i don't really want to see what happens with shawne in.

San Diego Chicken
11-21-2006, 03:11 AM
Speaking of McCree, how thrilling was it to see him come back after being carted off? One minute I'm thinking he's lost for the year, the next minute his mere presense has the defense playing with more confidence. Underrated moment. The momentum swing in the game had alot to do with McCree returning.

Number 10
11-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Random question.

Do any of you guys know Igor Olshansky's contract? Sorry if I butchered his name.

hans3n
11-22-2006, 11:52 AM
We could win the superbowl and still have one of the lowest thread counts on here. Think about this! When we get merriman at 100%, castillo at 100% and marques harris, jacques cesaire, and shaun pihllips all at 100%, we are gonna be unstoppable. Those guys single handedly make our secondary look like the ravens.

San Diego Chicken
11-22-2006, 02:04 PM
We could win the superbowl and still have one of the lowest thread counts on here. Think about this! When we get merriman at 100%, castillo at 100% and marques harris, jacques cesaire, and shaun pihllips all at 100%, we are gonna be unstoppable. Those guys single handedly make our secondary look like the ravens.

While I certainly think that getting those guys back will help, some of our problems on defense started before they were all injured (San Francisco game). Not saying we were bad, but we gave up many more yards and points than we should have in the first half of that game, and the defense hsan't really been the same since.

hans3n
11-22-2006, 03:35 PM

While I certainly think that getting those guys back will help, some of our problems on defense started before they were all injured (San Francisco game). Not saying we were bad, but we gave up many more yards and points than we should have in the first half of that game, and the defense hsan't really been the same since.

which is why we didnt let them get any points in the 2nd half of the game. And 2 of the 3 tough games we have left are at home which should help, seeing that we are undefeated at home this year. And the other teams that are left, we have doubled their average points per game and they have a combined record of 8-22. Its lookin good for us. Denver has us and cincinnati left to play. And i think all we need is the 4th best record in the AFC and we get homefield advantage i think. Any thoughts anyone?

San Diego Chicken
11-22-2006, 04:17 PM

which is why we didnt let them get any points in the 2nd half of the game. And 2 of the 3 tough games we have left are at home which should help, seeing that we are undefeated at home this year. And the other teams that are left, we have doubled their average points per game and they have a combined record of 8-22. Its lookin good for us. Denver has us and cincinnati left to play. And i think all we need is the 4th best record in the AFC and we get homefield advantage i think. Any thoughts anyone?

I would be dissapointed if we didn't get one of the top two seeds. Baltimore has a tough road schedule ahead (@ Kansas City, @ Pittsburgh, @ Cinci). Our only tough road game remaining is @ Seattle. We need that bye week to rest (our bye was in week 3) and I would rather play one of the cold weather teams at home. It doesn't matter where we play the Colts, but I don't want the Chargers to have to go to Baltimore again, or New England (yes I know they're not that good at home but we dont want to deal with that weather in January).

bergo23
11-24-2006, 09:05 AM
If we run the table at home we should get a bye. Getting Merriman and Castillo back and healthy for December and beyond will be huge for ourt success against elite teams.

thetedginnshow
11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
So how's McNeil been playing for you guys?

marks01234
11-26-2006, 08:16 PM
McNeil has looked pretty good. He's improving each week and looks like he could be an NFL starter for many years. Outside of D'Brick, I don't think I would take any rookie tackle (although O'Callaghan of the Pats and Charles Spencer preinjury with the Texans are two guys I like).

Well we knew the offense couldn't keep playing like they did. Hopefully this near-loss woke up the team. I still feel like this is a special group and the Super Bowl is a attainable.

San Diego Chicken
11-27-2006, 05:28 AM
I should add @ Buffalo to the list of hard road games for us. That team is playing pretty well right now. The good news is Merriman is now back, rested and now will play with a big time chip on his shoulder. If Castillo and McCree can also get healthy we should go back to being an elite defense again.

DWhitner20
11-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I should add @ Buffalo to the list of hard road games for us. That team is playing pretty well right now. The good news is Merriman is now back, rested and now will play with a big time chip on his shoulder. If Castillo and McCree can also get healthy we should go back to being an elite defense again.

We better bring our A Game because you guys are tough, the way we've played since our bye this could be a very good one. Good Luck.

Should be a good game.

Ray Finkle
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I agree that the Raiders game was a needed wake up call. It will definitely be nice to get the defensive guys back. I'm also interested to see how we play in the cold weather at Buffalo.

SuperMcGee
11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Finkle and Einhorn
Finkle and Einhorn
Finkle and Einhorn

Ray Finkle
11-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I just read a Yahoo! Sports article that said Merriman showed up to practice today with "Lights Out" carved into his hair. Apparently he had alot of time on his hands during his suspension. I wouldn't mind seeing Kaeding shave "Laces Out" into his head.

DWhitner20
11-27-2006, 08:25 PM
I just read a Yahoo! Sports article that said Merriman showed up to practice today with "Lights Out" carved into his hair. Apparently he had alot of time on his hands during his suspension. I wouldn't mind seeing Kaeding shave "Laces Out" into his head.

:lol:

Finkle is Einhorn, Einhorn is Finkle.

Rob S
11-28-2006, 08:32 AM
This should be a good one. How do your san diego boys usually respond to the cold?

hotcorner06
11-28-2006, 08:56 AM
We really need a ballhawking safety. My top 3 are Laundry, Nelson, and Weddle. That is where I would try to make the biggest upgrade.

As far as WR goes, I agree that Ginn is the type of reciever that we need. But if he is not there, hopefully we get lucky on a burner late in the draft.

OG is a position that needs to be upgraded, but if there is a stud ILB that could fill in for Donnie, I will take the ILB over OG. I mean, we got LT.

Ray Finkle
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
We beat Cleveland a couple years back in the snow and if we follow Seattle's gameplan from last night (hand the ball off and then hand it off some more) the weather shouldn't affect us too badly. It's not like we're Tampa Bay, who is something like 2-20 when it's under 35 degrees.

Rob S
11-28-2006, 11:21 PM
We beat Cleveland a couple years back in the snow and if we follow Seattle's gameplan from last night (hand the ball off and then hand it off some more) the weather shouldn't affect us too badly. It's not like we're Tampa Bay, who is something like 2-20 when it's under 35 degrees.

Gotcha. If u guys stick to pounding us inside with LT, u should win.

Ray Finkle
11-29-2006, 04:21 PM
What's the weather forecast for Sunday in Buffalo? Snow?

SuperMcGee
11-29-2006, 04:22 PM
What's the weather forecast for Sunday in Buffalo? Snow?

It was 70 here today

SuperMcGee
11-29-2006, 04:24 PM
actually it is supposed to get really cold over the weekend (predicted high of 35 for sunday, so could be freezing) and possible snow showers on Saturday.

bergo23
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
That's cool I kinda wanna see how Rivers does in that weather. It may be a preview of New England or Baltimore in January!!!! Hopefully we can get Baltimore to lose twice more, they will need to lose to Cincy this weekend for that to happen. I really would like a bye since we last had one in week 3 and the injuries are piling up!!!!

San Diego Chicken
11-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks to the Bengals we're currently the #2 seed in the AFC and control our own destiny as far as a first round bye and a home game. Can't stress how important getting that bye is. It's almost impossible to ask a team to make a superbowl run having played 18 straight weeks, but that's what the Chargers would need to do if they can't get that bye.

On Sunday more than anything it's important to start the game well. We've basically taken the first half of games off for the entire month of November. It's December now so that crap needs to stop. Getting Merriman back should help with this because he brings energy from the opening kickoff. Rivers needs to start playing better in the first half.

Geo
11-30-2006, 11:03 PM
actually it is supposed to get really cold over the weekend (predicted high of 35 for sunday, so could be freezing) and possible snow showers on Saturday.
Don't forget the 10 mph winds.

Welcome to Buffalo. :twisted:

SuperMcGee
12-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Don't forget the 10 mph winds.

Welcome to Buffalo. :twisted:

its gonn be a lot more than 10, for sure

DWhitner20
12-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Good game Bolts.

bergo23
12-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Ravens, Colts, Bronco's, Chiefs and She-Li's Gmen all lose, could it have been a better weekend?! Last 3 out of 4 at home: time to get a bye in the playoffs and a home game!!!! In 2004 that didn't get it done against the Jets.....this team remembers that, we will be ready.

If Scott's projections are correct, Griffin may be available at #32, which may be our draft slot!!!!

hotcorner06
12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
We took a big lead early and held it the whole game. We can win in any fashion. Can LT break the record versus the Donks, lets hope so. 4 games left.

Ray Finkle
12-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I was definitely nervous in the 4th quarter since we were only one mistake away from being down even though we were dominating the game. Hopefully Marty will run the DBs through some catching drills this week since they should have had at least 2 more picks.

It's great to have Merriman back.

San Diego Chicken
12-04-2006, 05:52 PM
I was a little discouraged by how quickly the defense folded up after the turnover and then the punt return... You would hope a championship defense could at least salvage a field goal on one of those possessions. Also, Dielman and McNeill both deserve to make the pro bowl this year, although they probably wont. We're by far the best team in the NFL at running left. Almost unstoppable. When you have the best running back running behind the best full back, through holes created by two young future pro bowl lineman, you should be good, and the Chargers are.

draftguru151
12-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm bored so I'm gonna do a little mock for the Chargers.

A bit optimist but I think it is a possibility.

1. Reggie Nelson S Florida (maybe trade Turner to move up a bit)
2. H.B. Blades ILB Pitt
3. Paul Williams WR Fresno State

What do you guys think? Takes care of safety, youth at ILB, and a fast WR.

San Diego Chicken
12-04-2006, 07:52 PM

2. H.B. Blades ILB Pitt

Looks good to me. I like either of the Florida players for us if they come out (Siler or Nelson). Blades is obviously a good instinctive player and could fit in pretty well in our scheme. But you've got the right idea, safety, linebacker, home run threat WR and I'd add return man or backup RB if someone signs Turner to an offer sheet.

draftguru151
12-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Looks good to me. I like either of the Florida players for us if they come out (Siler or Nelson). Blades is obviously a good instinctive player and could fit in pretty well in our scheme. But you've got the right idea, safety, linebacker, home run threat WR and I'd add return man or backup RB if someone signs Turner to an offer sheet.

Meet Paul Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyYVnN4bTs

bergo23
12-05-2006, 07:54 AM
I'd take this kid in the second round, his sub 4.4 speed would be perfect for our offensive needs, somebody who could stretch the field and give room for Gates and LT to do their thing.

We really do need a burner, but safety is our first round pririty. I am guessing Griffin is an AJ guy, they have another solid first round DB in Jammer from UT.......so I'd be happy with him. Mentioning trading up, remember AJ will have an extra 3rd (from Brees), and maybe Turner to offer i trade to get the safety he covets........I really hope he makes it happen, we need a major upgrade in pass defense at the safety position to help Jammer, DFlo and Cro become the players they can be.

I would say the ILB is a 3rd round priority, so Blades won't be available. They got Dobbins last year, and they already have Cooper and Wilhelm. Replacing Donnie's pass coverage won't be easy, at 220 he is light enough to cover, and has great instincts.

draftguru151
12-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Are both Jammer and Florence coming back next year?

bergo23
12-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Are both Jammer and Florence coming back next year?

Florence will be a UFA in 2008, so next year may be his last in SD (espacially if Cro asserts himself).

I for one hope we can keep Florence, if we get a pass coverage safety those corners are gonna look alot better than now when they know they have little help. McCree was an upgrade over Jue, but his best position is SS, not FS.

defensiveback23
12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't see how ILB is a need at all. Cooper has proven he can do very well as a starter. Wilhelm's coverage skills are very good, he's not Donnie, but very good. He also attacks the line better than Donnie, but he does have 25 pounds on him. Wilhelm is an UFA after the season, but it was just reported that we have started working on a new contract for him. Everything I've heard about Dobbins has been that the team loves his potential and thinks he'll be a stud. I don't see why ILB is a need.

hotcorner06
12-05-2006, 11:01 PM

2. H.B. Blades ILB Pitt

man if the draft comes out this way, I might poo myself. Seriously, one would be one of AJ's best drafts, and he has had some great ones.

hotcorner06
12-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't see how ILB is a need at all. Cooper has proven he can do very well as a starter. Wilhelm's coverage skills are very good, he's not Donnie, but very good. He also attacks the line better than Donnie, but he does have 25 pounds on him. Wilhelm is an UFA after the season, but it was just reported that we have started working on a new contract for him. Everything I've heard about Dobbins has been that the team loves his potential and thinks he'll be a stud. I don't see why ILB is a need.

Wilhelm isn't even under contract yet, Cooper and Dobbins aren't proven by any means in my book. Blades, if nothing else, would give us depth. Blades is a great pick value wise and if we lose Donnie, Godfrey, Foley, and Wilhelm, A very neccessary pick. I don't know how you can call that draft other than great for the chargers. If 1 or two of those guys return, would love to see Brian Leonard taken.

San Diego Chicken
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM

Did you watch the Raiders game? Specifically the play where the 3rd string Raiders tight end used up Cooper in coverage? Wilhelm is OK I guess but has never struck me as having starter talent. I like Dobbins, but the reason ILB is a priority for us is because there is a very good chance Edwards AND Godfrey are gone next year. That's quite a step down from talent. I'd love to have Siler, who is versatile and could learn both the ILB and OLB positions and has the athleticism to cover tight ends.

Right now if I were making a team mock I'd say Siler #1, Merriweather #2 and Williams/Stuckey #3. Think about it, at safety we still have Jue and Kiel at least for now. Speed WR is a need though not a crucial one. If Godfrey retires and Donnie leaves that will be quite a loss of talent at those positions, and those guys are damn important players in our defense.

defensiveback23
12-06-2006, 08:43 PM

Did you watch the Raiders game? Specifically the play where the 3rd string Raiders tight end used up Cooper in coverage? Wilhelm is OK I guess but has never struck me as having starter talent. I like Dobbins, but the reason ILB is a priority for us is because there is a very good chance Edwards AND Godfrey are gone next year. That's quite a step down from talent. I'd love to have Siler, who is versatile and could learn both the ILB and OLB positions and has the athleticism to cover tight ends.

Right now if I were making a team mock I'd say Siler #1, Merriweather #2 and Williams/Stuckey #3. Think about it, at safety we still have Jue and Kiel at least for now. Speed WR is a need though not a crucial one. If Godfrey retires and Donnie leaves that will be quite a loss of talent at those positions, and those guys are damn important players in our defense.

I understand that they are both gone after the yaear but it doesn't scare me at all. Cooper has taken a way a lot of playing time from Godfrey this year and has looked very good other than that big play he gave up. However, Madsen is a WR that lined up in the slot and you can't expect any ILB to cover one. I saw Coop interviewed after the game and he said that his responsibility was the flats so somebody else messed up by not picking him up. The team gave him a big 5 year extnsion for starter's money, so thats saying something.

Wilhelm coes in on 3rd down in the nickel packages and has looked good in pass coverage. He is also a better run stuffer that Donnie so I think he will be fine. The Union Tribune reported that the Chargers are working on a longterm deal with him now. If we lose him, I'm all for drafting another ILB.

I think we could use a true coverage safety back there also. I don't think we will draft one high unless Kiel is cut due to his drug charges. We wouldn't cut a guy for character issues then turn around and draft one in the 1st round to fill his spot so I highly doubt we consider Meriweather. It would be hard for a S to start over McCree, Jue or Hart in their rookie year though.

bergo23
12-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Good discussion about LB. I agree it is not a priority need, like safety and WR (a speed guy, we have great bigs in Malcolm and VJ, and a great posession receiver in Parker).

The best thing about the upcoming draft is AJ will have some serious bargaining power to move up if he needs to (especially if someone picks up Turner or Phillips, they will come with 1st round tenders, Phillips likely a 1st and 3rd).........Drew Brees will bring another 3rd.

A darkhorse candidate for a first day pick is guard, especially if Deilman leaves in Free Agency...in fact if he leaves, it may become a priority. The young core of Hardwick, Olivea and Big Mack is solid, Goff is signed through next year........hopefully this isn't a scenario we have to entertain, I like Dielman.

San Diego Chicken
12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Good news guys, it looks like Castillo, McCree and Turner should all play on Sunday. It seems like it's been forever since Castillo's been healthy enough to play.

bergo23
12-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

Does anybody know anything about Higgins (UTEP) or Stuckey (Clemson), those 4.35 40's Scott posted means they may be guys AJ targets. Paul Williams I know.....do either of the first two excel in the kick return game?!

I think Sproles could help us there next year, and I think Cro could this year on kickoffs, Parker has done well on punt return.....but a true burner would help Cam with a weapon to stretch the field!

bergo23
12-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Last year to this year in our home game vs Denver. Last year we auditioned our QB of the future, this year they do it. I say we show just how far Cutler has to go to get where Rivers and company are, we slow down their run, and its going to be a long day for young Mr Cutler.

Bolts: AFC west Champs, fightin' for home field....sure would be nice to have at least one game in sunny warm California in January!!! Today it sounds like low 60's and cloudy, much better than low 40's and windy here in New England!!!!

:lol:

Ray Finkle
12-10-2006, 10:24 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson

sweetness34
12-10-2006, 10:26 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson

THE LACES WERE IN!!! :lol:

San Diego Chicken
12-11-2006, 04:30 AM
A couple points about the game -

- Shanahan really wanted to slow down LT and he did, but Rivers took full advantage of it.

- Hopefully the Chargers can get more of these games from Vincent Jackson. He's got the skills you look for in a #1 reciever but he needs to find some consistency.

- The Chargers seem to have gotten over their November funk of starting games off poorly.

- Hardwick seemingly aggrivates the same injury in every game, maybe he should take a week or two off and let it heal.

- My expectations are going up every week. At this point if the Chargers don't at least make the Super Bowl I'll be dissapointed.

- The defense needs to knuckle up and stop giving up touchdowns immediately following a turnover. The defense is lucky that the offense doesn't turn the ball over that much. If we were stuck with Grossman like the Bears are, we'd be below .500 by now.

- Rematch with KC at home under the lights coming up, looking forward to this one. I consider the Chiefs our second biggest rivals behind the Raiders.

- Who would the Chargers least want to see in the first playoff game? Cinci? New England? Jacksonville? Indy? Jacksonville's defense looks like it could match up pretty well with our offense.

bergo23
12-11-2006, 06:06 AM
We got Rivers, the Merriman pick, Nate Keading (first ProBowl of many to come), Shaun Phillips, Mike Turner and Hardwick and Olivea. This has to go down as one of the best drafts of all time!!!

This is how championship teams are built: Through the Draft!!!

Ray Finkle
12-11-2006, 12:47 PM
I think the team we'd least like to face would be the Bengals. They're playing really well and the other teams are all flawed in one major way or another. Considering that it took an incredible comeback to beat the Bengals earlier this year I feel that they give us the toughest matchup. Of course, I'd prefer that we play nobody in the first round to rest up.

San Diego Chicken
12-11-2006, 08:52 PM
I think the team we'd least like to face would be the Bengals. They're playing really well and the other teams are all flawed in one major way or another. Considering that it took an incredible comeback to beat the Bengals earlier this year I feel that they give us the toughest matchup. Of course, I'd prefer that we play nobody in the first round to rest up.

Good point there. Our secondary vs. Palmer and his recievers is a huge mismatch as we learned the first time around.

bergo23
12-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Just remember we had NO PASS RUSH when we were in Cincy, no Phillips, no Merriman, no Castillo, its remarkable how much better our corners are when there is a pass ruch!!!

Who do you think the safety is we will go after in the first round? It is becoming painfully obvious it's our greatest need, and fortunately there may be a good one available as it is not considered a premium position $$ wise.

The white guys from Wyoming and Utah, are they fast enough be good enough in coverage at the NFL level? They look like second round talents....but what if Nelson and Landry are gone? Griffin? I am excited to see who AJ gets cuz he will have ammo to move up if he so desires.

If we wait until the second round to get our safety.....there seem to be ALOT of possibilities as to who we could go after: Gattis, Merriweather, etc.

PhillyChargerFan
12-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Just remember we had NO PASS RUSH when we were in Cincy, no Phillips, no Merriman, no Castillo, its remarkable how much better our corners are when there is a pass ruch!!!

Who do you think the safety is we will go after in the first round? It is becoming painfully obvious it's our greatest need, and fortunately there may be a good one available as it is not considered a premium position $$ wise.

The white guys from Wyoming and Utah, are they fast enough be good enough in coverage at the NFL level? They look like second round talents....but what if Nelson and Landry are gone? Griffin? I am excited to see who AJ gets cuz he will have ammo to move up if he so desires.

If we wait until the second round to get our safety.....there seem to be ALOT of possibilities as to who we could go after: Gattis, Merriweather, etc.

I would actually prefer to go with and ILB in the 1st. Remember we are losing Godfrey (retirement), Donna and possibly Wilhelm. that is some major depth. I'm comfortable with Cooper and I hope we can resign Wilhelm but I'm not counting on it. Remember we still have to reup Philips and Dielman this year.

If we don't go ILB how about a RG to replace Goff??

Ray Finkle
12-12-2006, 12:00 PM
A random question: seeing as how LT and Brees are the frontrunners for MVP this year, what could we realistically have traded Rivers for last year? This isn't a knock on Rivers at all, I'm excited to have the guy, but I'm just curious as to what the trade talks were, if any.

bigbluedefense
12-12-2006, 12:03 PM
A random question: seeing as how LT and Brees are the frontrunners for MVP this year, what could we realistically have traded Rivers for last year? This isn't a knock on Rivers at all, I'm excited to have the guy, but I'm just curious as to what the trade talks were, if any.

It would easily have been a 1st rounder. How high...who knows, but Im guessing it would be like pick #15 considering that it was a strong class of qbs. You wouldn't have gotten pick #4 or anything like that. 15 at best I say.

bergo23
12-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Norm Chow loved him, so if we would have traded up #3, and given them our #19, we could have had DBrick..turned out just fine for us thank you very much with McNeil!!!!! That is about the best we could have gotten for Rivers with no starting experience, only guys who knew him would have paid alot for him.

Tennessee owner wanted Vince Young......and they are obviously happy with the pick!!! Sometimes the best ones are the ones that never happen.

villagewarrior
12-13-2006, 10:11 AM

I would actually prefer to go with and ILB in the 1st. Remember we are losing Godfrey (retirement), Donna and possibly Wilhelm. that is some major depth. I'm comfortable with Cooper and I hope we can resign Wilhelm but I'm not counting on it. Remember we still have to reup Philips and Dielman this year.

If we don't go ILB how about a RG to replace Goff??

I just hope you guys don't come away with Patrick Willis. I really don't want the Chiefs to face Merriman and Willis twice a year.

Tubby
12-13-2006, 08:42 PM
You guys are going DOWN on christmas eve

So, on topic, what do you think the Chargers greatest weakness is?

bergo23
12-13-2006, 11:17 PM

You guys are going to have to stop our run to beat us, something you haven't been doing very well, not as bad as the Colts, but not good enough to beat the best team in the NFL!!!!

Weakness: safety's, but you have to beat our pass rush to expose them.

2007 draft seems to be real deep at safety, so AJ will shore up our last weakness in April.

San Diego Chicken
12-14-2006, 06:32 PM

Red zone defense has been a problem lately... Rivers's consistency from half to half... WR's dont separate very well... Kickoff coverage isnt very good

CC.SD
12-14-2006, 10:59 PM

I would say it's our inability to beat the niners to clinch the division. Oh, the CHARGER's weakness. Nvm. Doesn't exist.

marks01234
12-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Should be a great game tonight!

San Diego Chicken
12-18-2006, 02:23 AM
What a performance by the Chargers defense. This might have been the defense's most complete performance all season long. Can't say enough about the job they did to contain Johnson and pressure Green. Johnson has seemingly run roughshod over the Chargers ever since he became the feature back for KC, but not tonight.

On the other hand, KC's defense attacked the Chargers the same way it did in the first game, which was to blitz, blitz, blitz. Cam Cameron is a great offensive coordinator but how the Chargers were so unprepared for this gameplan was really mindboggling. One simple screen, swingpass or delayed handoff would have netted a lot of yards. The Chargers are basically giving every team a recipe of how to shut down their passing game by not adjusting to the blitz. Overrall I felt the playcalling was atrocious and made Rivers look terrible. He may have had five passes all night long where he wasn't hurried. I don't know how disguised those blitzes were, but they were working and they worked in the first game. Luckily the defense and LT prevented a loss.

bergo23
12-18-2006, 07:37 AM
I hope Merriman's foot injury doesn't prove to be too serious......the thing that stood out most about our D tonight was how deserving Jammer is of a ProBowl invitation. The kid has had a solid season, and I hope we add a Texas DB to the fold in Griffin in the draft!!!!

San Diego Chicken
12-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I hope Merriman's foot injury doesn't prove to be too serious......the thing that stood out most about our D tonight was how deserving Jammer is of a ProBowl invitation. The kid has had a solid season, and I hope we add a Texas DB to the fold in Griffin in the draft!!!!

Jammer's definitely had his best season. The signing of McCree has helped the DB's so much. Florence and Cromartie also played great yesterday (granted KC has a terrible WR corps). It's going to be pretty hard to make the pro bowl in the AFC though with all the great corners this year (Bailey, McCallister, Samuel, Mathis, Pac-man, Asomugha)

draftguru151
12-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Has had Cromartie looked?

San Diego Chicken
12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Has had Cromartie looked?

Overall I think he's had a really good season especially considering his lack of experience at corner. He's an athlete in every sense of the word. He was even matched up against Gonzalez for a good portion of last nights game. He's pretty damn good in man to man coverage. He just needs to work on his tackling and protecting his zone responsibiliies but he's got great ball skills.

hans3n
12-18-2006, 05:52 PM
What is our draft looking like possible with the brees pick up and if we move turner?just 1 first round pick, then 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders? Any ideas?

bergo23
12-18-2006, 07:23 PM
What is our draft looking like possible with the brees pick up and if we move turner?just 1 first round pick, then 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders? Any ideas?

I think Safety in the first..........maybe Landry or Nelson if we get the Jets pick (we'll get their first not second for Turner). Then our pick (at #32!!!) we take Johnny Lee Higgins.........if a stud LB'er is available (Willis, Poz) maybe we go there.

With our second rounder we take a road grader guard like Grubbs or the HUGE kid from Texas tech!!!

3rd round picks are tough to predict........but a project NT to groom behind Jamal would be nice!!!!

draftguru151
12-19-2006, 10:17 AM
You won't get a first for Turner. A second rounder is a possibility, but they won't give up a #1. Also Higgins isn't a first rounder, that would be a bad pick.

bergo23
12-19-2006, 11:58 AM
You won't get a first for Turner. A second rounder is a possibility, but they won't give up a #1. Also Higgins isn't a first rounder, that would be a bad pick.

You guys took the safety I wanted last year in Jason Allen, how has he done for you guys this year? If we don't take Higgins (who is a potential first rounder), we will take a safety...but who will be available as late in the first round as we have available. I hope Griffin, and AJ may even take the risk with Merriweather, as his skill set fits perfectly what we need. I doubt it though, replacing Kiel, with another thug is bad PR.

Marty's kid is the O Coordinator for the Jets, he knows what Turner could do with 20+ carries per game.......if we don't get a first, we will get a second from them (but AJ Smith might give him the 1st round RFA tender, as he is a valuable insurance policy for LT), as they are desperate for a workhorse RB. Shotty Jr is way more likely to spend the $$ with a kid he knows well in turner than a kid fresh outa college like Marshawn Lynch.

draftguru151
12-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I'd glady trade Allen for Cromartie. Allen hasn't seen the field much and when he has he has been average.

bergo23
12-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Will keep Cro thanx, he will become our other "bookend" shutdown corner opposite Jammer as we win our first few Lombardi's!!!! Kid is amazing!!!

hans3n
12-19-2006, 03:52 PM
NICE:

Hardwick
Gates
Rivers
LT
Neal
Jamal the Wall
Merriman
Kaeding
Osgood

hans3n
12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
This may be optimistic, but my ideal first round draft, if we get a first round pick for turner, would be LaRon Landry with the first pick, and Patrick Willis with our 20-30 spot 1st round pick.

San Diego Chicken
12-19-2006, 06:27 PM
NICE:

Hardwick
Gates
Rivers
LT
Neal
Jamal the Wall
Merriman
Kaeding
Osgood

If it was up to me, these players would have made it -

Tomlinson
Neal
Rivers
Merriman
J. Williams
Phillips
McNeil
Dielman
Gates

hans3n
12-19-2006, 07:07 PM
(Alternates)
Kris Dielman
Marcus McNeill
Mike Scifres
Luis Castillo
Shaun Phillips

defensiveback23
12-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey guys,

Does anybody know anything about Higgins (UTEP) or Stuckey (Clemson), those 4.35 40's Scott posted means they may be guys AJ targets. Paul Williams I know.....do either of the first two excel in the kick return game?!

I think Sproles could help us there next year, and I think Cro could this year on kickoffs, Parker has done well on punt return.....but a true burner would help Cam with a weapon to stretch the field!

I really like Higgins. I got to see him play a couple times and he impressed me with his speed and hands. Reminds me a little of Marvin Harrison because he is skinny but has good hands and can run. He can eat up a corners cushion quickly and turn short slants into huge gains. I think he is the 2nd best option to Ginn.

The Legend
12-20-2006, 03:57 AM
this was funny video

Lights out getting put run by Rivers

DonWoods33
12-21-2006, 11:19 AM
"We hear a clear sign that neither DeShaun Foster nor rookie DeAngelo Williams is the long-term answer at running back for the Panthers is how quickly the team gave up on the running game in Week 14 and allowed backup QB Chris Weinke to throw the ball 61 times. Sources tell us the Panthers will be in the market for a downhill, between-the-tackles runner in the offseason."

If you offer Carolina Turner and swap 1st round picks, plus get say a fourth, and maybe a third rounder next year. Would you do it? That would probably get you Landry and you could move McCree to SS (his more natural position IMO) I like Landry over Nelson because I think hes more ready to step in and start next year. Nelson might have a higher ceiling, but this team is built for now.

bergo23
12-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Awesome, given Fox's history, Turner might be just the back they'd want!!! I would do it in a heartbeat.........trading up to get the safety we want would only strengthen our hold on the most talented team in the NFL, barring injury, AJ is building a potential dynasty!!!!

San Diego Chicken
12-21-2006, 02:46 PM
"We hear a clear sign that neither DeShaun Foster nor rookie DeAngelo Williams is the long-term answer at running back for the Panthers is how quickly the team gave up on the running game in Week 14 and allowed backup QB Chris Weinke to throw the ball 61 times. Sources tell us the Panthers will be in the market for a downhill, between-the-tackles runner in the offseason."

If you offer Carolina Turner and swap 1st round picks, plus get say a fourth, and maybe a third rounder next year. Would you do it? That would probably get you Landry and you could move McCree to SS (his more natural position IMO) I like Landry over Nelson because I think hes more ready to step in and start next year. Nelson might have a higher ceiling, but this team is built for now.

That would be a great trade for the Chargers (and both teams, Turner would do well as a Panther IMO). It would put us not only within range for the stud safeties but also give us a chance with Ginn if we chose to go that route as well.

defensiveback23
12-21-2006, 07:19 PM

I don't think that is nearly enough to get Turner. He means so much to the team in so many different areas that trading 1st rounders and getting mid round picks doesn't come close to his value.

draftguru151
12-21-2006, 08:38 PM
There is no way that they would trade for a RB. They have Williams, a first rounder who has looked great at times this season, DeShaun Foster, who if nothing else is a good #3, and they still have Eric Shelton who the jury is still out on, as well as Nick Goings. That's not happening.

DonWoods33
12-21-2006, 11:39 PM

I don't think that is nearly enough to get Turner. He means so much to the team in so many different areas that trading 1st rounders and getting mid round picks doesn't come close to his value.

His value to the Chargers might be high, but your not going to get a boatload of picks, for him and next year hes going to be able to walk away and all you'll get is a 3rd comp pick at best. As the old saying goes better to trade a guy one year too early then one year too late. And if get you the next Ed Reed or Kenny Easley. Thats going to be a lot more valuable then a backup runningback and kickoff returner despite the fact that he is outstanding in those roles. Not saying that Landry, Nelson or Griffin will become those guys but it gives you a chance.

DonWoods33
12-21-2006, 11:51 PM
There is no way that they would trade for a RB. They have Williams, a first rounder who has looked great at times this season, DeShaun Foster, who if nothing else is a good #3, and they still have Eric Shelton who the jury is still out on, as well as Nick Goings. That's not happening.

That inital quote is from Pro football weekly not me. They have a pretty good track record covering the NFL for the past 35 years. If you read it again you'll see all the guys that your mentioning are being discounted by the source they had which is either a writer covering the team week in and week out or a front office/scouting guy that works for the team. Maybe the guy is full of bs. My own opinion is that Williams was a reach and is nothing more then a third down back, too small and no deep speed, Foster is always hurt, Shelton has never been able to get on the field, and Goings is just a guy. Being able to run the ball masks so many problems on a football team. Which maybe just what they need, to get back to being a competitive team. Anyways I was just throwing it out there. I know one thing the Chargers definitely need a FS.

bergo23
12-22-2006, 08:54 AM
I just think the Shotty Jr factor weighs in heavily. Mangini will sign off on a deal if he trusts Brian Shottenheimer's opinion of Turner, which we know is high. Even swapping up with the Jets, especially if they don't make the playoffs, even if they do......we would be moving up 10 slots at least, so more likely to land a quality FS we need. I would imagine in that scenario, we would tender him the 1st round contract, and keep our pick, but no matter how it shakes out, I see the Jets as the frontrunner in terms of need (they spent all that first round money on OLine last year, now its time to get a horse behind him. Maybe they fall in love with Marshawn Lynch, I guess it depends on the kind of runner Mangini wants.

I still think its 50/50 Griffin falls to #32, so if we like him, we can afford to use the Jets pick on someone else...........maybe Patrick Willis or Poz, or a DT to groom behind Jamal (Tank Tyler?)

DonWoods33
12-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I just think the Shotty Jr factor weighs in heavily. Mangini will sign off on a deal if he trusts Brian Shottenheimer's opinion of Turner, which we know is high. Even swapping up with the Jets, especially if they don't make the playoffs, even if they do......we would be moving up 10 slots at least, so more likely to land a quality FS we need. I would imagine in that scenario, we would tender him the 1st round contract, and keep our pick, but no matter how it shakes out, I see the Jets as the frontrunner in terms of need (they spent all that first round money on OLine last year, now its time to get a horse behind him. Maybe they fall in love with Marshawn Lynch, I guess it depends on the kind of runner Mangini wants.

I still think its 50/50 Griffin falls to #32, so if we like him, we can afford to use the Jets pick on someone else...........maybe Patrick Willis or Poz, or a DT to groom behind Jamal (Tank Tyler?)

If you swap out you won't have that 32ND pick. I guess it could happen where someone will trade you straight up for the guy, if he is super impressive in the playoffs (he should be with his kick returning) but thats going to be hard playing behind the player of the decade ( also remember Turner had a hammy pull this year and that kept him out of some games, so thats gonna bring him down a bit) . If he doesn't get moved, its not the end of the world. But I would love to see what the guy could do as a starter on another team.

If they stay at 32 I could see them going OL, especially since Deilman might get a big offer to go elsewhere. I think they are going to be ok at ILB with Polk, Dobbins, Wilhelm and possibly Godfrey coming back. Edwards is almost definitely gone. While I am not a big fan of AJ Smith's personality, he is by far the best drafter they ever had, so you never know what or who he might like. I did have a problem with him taking Whitehurst over Ko Simpson last year. Simpson has started at FS in Buffalo from Day One and as been a very good player. Not that Marty likes to start rookies, but McNeil has probably changed his mind in that regard too.

DonWoods33
12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
the greatest Chargers coach ever?

I would rate them:

1) Sid Gilman-Had and developed a couple of Hall of Famers. Won the AFL title in 63 (the highest level he could win at). Was an innovator and well before his time, offensively. Won early and often.

2) Bobby Ross- Won more with less, more then any coach they ever had. Got that team to the SuperBowl when no one gave them a chance in hell. If Beathard could have actually gotten some players that could play. I feel he was the kind of coach that have definitely could have won a SuperBowl.

3) Don Coryell- He got them to be competitive. Made Fouts into a Hall of Famer. Was very innovative offensively. My problem with him is that he never gave a crap about defense, never won big in the playoffs, despite having the best team in Football in 1980. And they never tried to rebuild the defense in the draft while he was there.

4) Marty- Has brought them back to respectability after being the worst team in the league for many years. Wants a disciplined, balanced team with good defense and special teams. (Those are the kind of team's that win SuperBowls btw) This is the best team he has ever coached, so it is on him and it looks like hes enjoying it. Despite Rivers' rough stretch lately. I think he is going to be aggressive and go for the throat with Rivers at the controls. He will cement himself as a Hall of Famer after this year.

bergo23
12-22-2006, 12:18 PM
If you swap out you won't have that 32ND pick. (we wouldn't be swapping if we tender him a first rounder and the Jets sign hi to a contract we don't match, we get their 1st pick outright) I guess it could happen where someone will trade you straight up for the guy, if he is super impressive in the playoffs (he should be with his kick returning) but thats going to be hard playing behind the player of the decade ( also remember Turner had a hammy pull this year and that kept him out of some games, so thats gonna bring him down a bit) . If he doesn't get moved, its not the end of the world. But I would love to see what the guy could do as a starter on another team.

If they stay at 32 I could see them going OL, especially since Deilman might get a big offer to go elsewhere (Yes, I too am afraid AJ's staredown with Dielman's agent means he is gone). I think they are going to be ok at ILB with Polk, Dobbins, Wilhelm and possibly Godfrey coming back. Edwards is almost definitely gone. While I am not a big fan of AJ Smith's personality, he is by far the best drafter they ever had, so you never know what or who he might like. I did have a problem with him taking Whitehurst over Ko Simpson last year. Simpson has started at FS in Buffalo from Day One and as been a very good player. Not that Marty likes to start rookies, but McNeil has probably changed his mind in that regard too.[/quote]

The only play Ko was highlighted is when he took a bad angle on LT and got burned down the sideline on LT's TD run in Buffalo....but I trust he has played well........his pass coverage skills I think were suspect, and we already have Kiel, so it wasn't an upgrade......who knows whether Landry, Nelson (he looks like he has legit cover skills), or Griffin would be......but they can't be worse than Kiel!!!

The bottom line is AJ will have a chance to continue to build a championship roster on day one in the 2007 draft....this team is so stacked now, I don't see many Day 2 guys even making the team.

DonWoods33
12-22-2006, 11:18 PM
If you swap out you won't have that 32ND pick. (we wouldn't be swapping if we tender him a first rounder and the Jets sign hi to a contract we don't match, we get their 1st pick outright) I guess it could happen where someone will trade you straight up for the guy, if he is super impressive in the playoffs (he should be with his kick returning) but thats going to be hard playing behind the player of the decade ( also remember Turner had a hammy pull this year and that kept him out of some games, so thats gonna bring him down a bit) . If he doesn't get moved, its not the end of the world. But I would love to see what the guy could do as a starter on another team.

If they stay at 32 I could see them going OL, especially since Deilman might get a big offer to go elsewhere (Yes, I too am afraid AJ's staredown with Dielman's agent means he is gone). I think they are going to be ok at ILB with Polk, Dobbins, Wilhelm and possibly Godfrey coming back. Edwards is almost definitely gone. While I am not a big fan of AJ Smith's personality, he is by far the best drafter they ever had, so you never know what or who he might like. I did have a problem with him taking Whitehurst over Ko Simpson last year. Simpson has started at FS in Buffalo from Day One and as been a very good player. Not that Marty likes to start rookies, but McNeil has probably changed his mind in that regard too.

The only play Ko was highlighted is when he took a bad angle on LT and got burned down the sideline on LT's TD run in Buffalo....but I trust he has played well........his pass coverage skills I think were suspect, and we already have Kiel, so it wasn't an upgrade......who knows whether Landry, Nelson (he looks like he has legit cover skills), or Griffin would be......but they can't be worse than Kiel!!!

The bottom line is AJ will have a chance to continue to build a championship roster on day one in the 2007 draft....this team is so stacked now, I don't see many Day 2 guys even making the team.[/quote]

Actually I heard Simpson had better cover skills but wasnt the greatest tackler in the world. Had had five picks his last year of college or somethig like that, and theres not many guys if any that are going to tackle LT one on one, in the open field. They took Whitehurst instead, so its academic anyway.
Kiel is decent in the box but he gets turned around in coverage way to much, hes like Michael Lewis in the regard. I think McCree is more of a natural SS. Plus TK has his legal issues.
Dielman is going to be a tough one. Do you want to give him 3-4 Million a year? You could draft his replacement or try Olivea in his spot some and franchise him. for next year, while you get the other guys ready. I guess we'll see what happens.
I could be wrong, but I just don't see anyone giving up a 1ST RD pick straight up for Turner unless its a late one. You just don't see restricted guys getting signed. And with him its the Scott Williams syndrome at work, you can't extrapolate what a guy does in limited minutes over the course of whole game. That is not to say he won't be great, but to say if he got 20 carries a game he would be an instant All-Pro doesnt wash. When I see him now I kind of see a guy that runs abit high, plus he pulled his hammy in limited action, so he could be a guy with the potential of being hurt alot. Watch his body lean the next time you see him run. If I can see then you know pro scouts definitely can. That being said he is a physical runner with very good deep speed and those guys are not easy to find.

bergo23
12-23-2006, 04:37 AM
I actually believe its less than 50/50 someone will sign him, but if someone does, it is the Jets cuz Shotty Jr knows him so well, most other talent evaluators would have less live "eyeball" time and they would be just going off of film and his stats. I would be fine with them keeping him another year and drafting a guy to replace him this year, so that guys year 2 he would be ready to take carries.

Given that they have Volek now, it sure would be nice to have Ko Simpson instead of Whitehurst, but it sounds like they like Whiehurst as a developmental guy.

I just hope there are enough prospects that jump into the middle of the first round, bumping down Landry, cuz if he is still available in the early 20's I see AJ trying to trade up to get him!!! We have the extra picks to make that kind of a deal (moving into the early 20's and trading our late 20/s/early 30's first rounder).

bergo23
12-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Gettin' Wilhelm inked, vurtually assures us that AJ doesn't go LB'er with round 1 or 2...........we got out starters inked (both Coop and Wilhelm are 5 year deals).......unless Patrick Willis fell in our lap, we need to get a stud safety!!!

hans3n
12-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I think we should still try for a good ILB, if Blades or Willis arent in reach, then i say go elsewhere, but if either are available, we should go for it. I think Blades is a possibility maybe in the early 2nd round. If Griffin is there though, should go for him before ILB, then hopefully Blades in the 2nd round. That would be ideal. Safety, then ILB

Ray Finkle
12-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Nothing is better than visiting family in the Bay Area and being forced to watch the 49ers vs. Cardinals game rather than seeing the Chargers take on the Seahawks.

San Diego Chicken
12-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Merry Christmas San Diego. Your team is 13-2 and one more win away from homefield throughout the AFC playoffs.

Ray Finkle
12-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I didn't get to see any of the game against Seattle so after seeing Rivers final stat line, as far as completion percentage goes, I'm concerned. Was he making bad passes, too much pass pressure, or were guys just dropping the ball? He played poorly against the Chiefs and this is not the time of year to be having back to back bad performances.

San Diego Chicken
12-26-2006, 06:10 PM
I didn't get to see any of the game against Seattle so after seeing Rivers final stat line, as far as completion percentage goes, I'm concerned. Was he making bad passes, too much pass pressure, or were guys just dropping the ball? He played poorly against the Chiefs and this is not the time of year to be having back to back bad performances.

It was really the same story, we didn't do anything to get Rivers into rhythm early. Cam dialed up a bunch of deeper routes instead of some shorter screens and swing passes or curl routes. It's become obvious what the game plan to stop Rivers is, blitz and blitz some more. Rivers is a slow starter anyway, and when the playcalling isn't there either he has these rough 0-fer starts and the offense stalls. The good news is he didn't throw any picks yesterday, but earlier in the season they were getting the ball out of his hands quickly. Now there are more seven step drops and teams are blitzing.

LT has been ignored in the passing game, just like in the beginning of the season last year. This is a major mistake. Giving LT the ball in the passing game is an easy way to get Rivers to string completions together. Yesterday in particular the weather didn't help and he did have some drops. Injuries to the WR's haven't helped anything either, but I blame the playcalling first and foremost. Anyone notice that everthing Gates catches is 25 yards downfield now? What happened to the little slants and screens they used to run for him?

CC.SD
12-26-2006, 11:52 PM
I counted at least 5 drops in the rain. If his line had been 15/30 with 2 TDs and 50 or 60 more yards, no one would be saying a word about his play.

marks01234
12-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm not concerned with Rivers' effort. Like cohen said, if Rivers would have went 18-30 for 180 yards, 2 Tds and 0 INTs, ESPN would have called it one of the better QB performances of the year.

He finished the game 10-19 and this is in terrible conditions. Our WR play and play calling don't seem to be helping him keep his numbers up either.

bergo23
12-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't think we'll draft a QB in 2007 ;-), they are happy with Whitehurst's devlopment......he may be their #2 next year. I am guessing Volek takes a job where he can compete for a starting position.

Rivers will be fine, watch him burn defenses when he needs to in the 4th quarter in the biggest games of his life next month.......he and VJ are really gaining chemistry, which is great to see from our future #1 WR!!!!

I just hope we can find a safety to help our pass D improve, it is the last piece in building a championship defense.

Ray Finkle
12-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Alright, all good things to hear. One thing Rivers definitely is not lacking is confidence.

Here's to our defense making Kurt Warner reconsider his decision to come back next year.

Gribble
12-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Vincent Jackson is becoming an impact receiver. Just something I noticed as he has really emerged as the #1 guy for the future. I like his size and willingness to block in the running game as well.

bergo23
12-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Vincent Jackson is becoming an impact receiver. Just something I noticed as he has really emerged as the #1 guy for the future. I like his size and willingness to block in the running game as well.

The Sooner DC's start having to gameplan against this kid, the more dangerous our team will become....and given the amount of big plays he has made the last month, it may happen soon.......pick your poison: LT, Gates or VJ!!!!!!

sdpads24
12-28-2006, 04:11 PM
what has happened to parker and McCardell not getting any td's this year?

cheesehead10790
12-28-2006, 04:26 PM

McCardell is old. Parker has never been that great. Jackson and Gates are easier targets for Rivers to hit.

sdpads24
12-29-2006, 12:26 PM

McCardell is old. Parker has never been that great. Jackson and Gates are easier targets for Rivers to hit.

i realize they are old but cmon you gotta spread the ball out . Maybe thats why Rivers has struggled the past couple weeks

marks01234
12-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I thought McCardell was a little dinged up lately.

Anyway he isn't in a position to get a lot of TD's. He's older so he's not going to break them loose like the younger guys. And in the red zone, we are looking at LT first, Gates second and VJ third (and rightly so). It'd be nice if he caught a couple of 25 yarders next week but I'm fine with his production regardless.

And Rivers will be fine. He's playing conditions last week were terrible. I'd like to see the O find some easier passes for him to make early in games - screens and dump offs to Gates and LT. I almost feel that Marty is in love with his arm so much and the seperation it creates among the DB's allowing LT's running lanes to open up that he has somewhat forgotten the basics of how our O is structured.

Either way it is great knowing that we can win against a playoff team when LT is held scoreless. It's also great knowing that if we are down, Rivers' is more than capable of bringing us back (if for some reason you thought the Bengals was a fluke).

BTW, you guys catch Rivers on ESPN the magazine cover. I've been looking to get another copy as my small mailbox always bends and tears mine.

snobdmat
12-30-2006, 11:47 AM
ya all of the wr have been banged up lately, but somehow they keep getting it done. thanks LT

bergo23
12-31-2006, 07:19 AM
This kid being Jammer's cousin can't hurt his chances, but as the last poster mentions, we need help for VJ and Parker for our long term WR needs. I think Higgins could develop into a #1, fighting it out with VY for most balls thrown to........Parker is a perfect slot receiver, but we need another young kid to develop.

I think the top 3 safeties will be gone by our #32, so thid kid makes sense from a need/draft position (as he will likely be available, unles he runs a sub 4.35 or something at the combine).

bergo23
12-31-2006, 06:15 PM
SuperBowl path comes through SD, unless they lose their first game. We will have a healthy Castillo and a confident bunch come Jan 14th!!!! I don't care who we play.

sdpads24
12-31-2006, 06:50 PM
its looking good for the chargers, looks like were gonna play the Patriots or jets

bergo23
01-01-2007, 02:27 PM
its looking good for the chargers, looks like were gonna play the Patriots or jets

or the Chiefs if they go into Indy and pull an upset which could happen with LJ and that porous run defense in Indy.....he might get 40 carries!!!

San Diego Chicken
01-02-2007, 02:50 AM

or the Chiefs if they go into Indy and pull an upset which could happen with LJ and that porous run defense in Indy.....he might get 40 carries!!!

Yea, I could see us playing the Cheifs again. Not sure how I feel about it. LT would have another big game, but the Cheifs have really given Rivers problems with their blitzing, not just in the last game but in the first one too.

PACKmanN
01-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Our OC left for the job at Boston College and I like John Ramsdell ur QB coach is there any info you guys can share about him? and could he possible leave to become an OC somewhere else?

sdpads24
01-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Our OC left for the job at Boston College and I like John Ramsdell ur QB coach is there any info you guys can share about him? and could he possible leave to become an OC somewhere else?

thats a very interesting possiblity. Ramsdell is a very will liked coach throughout the league and is famous for the coaching of Kurt Warner and the Rams during their glory years of the greatest show on turf.

Namy
01-03-2007, 01:41 AM
VJ is a stud. I really enjoyed watching him in college nearby where I live. I loved him as a prospect and was sad that he went to a division rival. Glad that he's turning out as well as I expected tho. GL in the playoffs. Represent the AFC West 8)

bergo23
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
VJ is a stud. I really enjoyed watching him in college nearby where I live. I loved him as a prospect and was sad that he went to a division rival. Glad that he's turning out as well as I expected tho. GL in the playoffs. Represent the AFC West 8)

He dropped his first pass of the year on a trick play last week, Rivers had it right where it needed to be, it would have been a great catch.....but right off the finger tips!!! He is definately #1 material for us for years to come..its just nice seeing Rivers have such confidence in him.

San Diego Chicken
01-04-2007, 03:25 PM
It's no cooincidence that Parker comes back and Rivers's performance improves tenfold. The guy just runs precise routes and is reliable. One of my favorite Chargers.

hans3n
01-04-2007, 04:47 PM
LT, MVP.

San Diego Chicken
01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
It looks like Cam Cameron is all but gone next year. The Raiders are silly for not hiring him when they had the chance, now Cameron will probably have his choice of Arizona, Atlanta or Miami.

I think that John Ramsdell (QB's coach) would be a good replacement for Cameron.

Hitemhard05
01-04-2007, 07:25 PM
If Cameron leaves, we're doomed.

bergo23
01-05-2007, 06:53 AM
If Cameron leaves, we're doomed.

Especailly if he takes anyone along with him to be on his staff from our staff. Hopefully if we lose in our first game, Shotty gets fired and we promote Cam to HC!

Star Wideout
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Well last year Ken Whisenhunt (Pittsburgh's O-coordinator) was heavily courted by teams needing a Head coach, but Cowher told him to stay because he was going to be retiring, and he'll prob take over Pitt's HC position now.

Maybe Marty will do the same thing for Cam?

San Diego Chicken
01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Well last year Ken Whisenhunt (Pittsburgh's O-coordinator) was heavily courted by teams needing a Head coach, but Cowher told him to stay because he was going to be retiring, and he'll prob take over Pitt's HC position now.

It's possible. If the Chargers win the Super Bowl this year I could see Marty retiring and Cam stepping in. That would be an ideal situation, I just wonder if Cam can wait that long.

On an unrelated note, I saw that Robert Meachem declared for the draft and he's another guy besides Ginn or Higgins that has that field stretcher 4.3 speed, and he also had very good size. He could legitimately be an Owens type gamechanger and there's a good possibility that he'd be there in the 30's.

cunningham06
01-05-2007, 05:41 PM
The other day a guy I know said that Marcus McNeil allowed 0 sacks. Is that legit?

San Diego Chicken
01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
The other day a guy I know said that Marcus McNeil allowed 0 sacks. Is that legit?

I don't know for sure. I want to say he gave up one to Jared Allen but I could be wrong.

Star Wideout
01-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I believe I read somewhere he gave up 2 sacks on the season, one on the last play of the Ravens game..and another vs Jared Allen playing the Chiefs.

Either way that's pretty amazing for a rookie tackle.

no holding penalties on the season as well.

hans3n
01-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know the scenario of what day the chargers would play if we played the jets, pats, or chiefs?

sdpads24
01-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know the scenario of what day the chargers would play if we played the jets, pats, or chiefs?

Sunday against pats. Gonna be a good one

San Diego Chicken
01-07-2007, 09:21 PM

You bet. The "Q" is going to be rocking. It's the last game of the weekend, I don't know if I can wait that long.

We've matched up well with the Patriots in the past. They haven't proven that they can stop LaDainian. Then again, there isn't a team in the league more playoff tested than the Pats. I wish that Seau was playing, it would have been a great subplot. What an unbelievable matchup, you couldn't ask for anything better than this. This game is what NFL football is all about.

tylaw24
01-08-2007, 12:10 AM

You bet. The "Q" is going to be rocking. It's the last game of the weekend, I don't know if I can wait that long.

We've matched up well with the Patriots in the past. They haven't proven that they can stop LaDainian. Then again, there isn't a team in the league more playoff tested than the Pats. I wish that Seau was playing, it would have been a great subplot. What an unbelievable matchup, you couldn't ask for anything better than this. This game is what NFL football is all about.

Do you think there were would be any bad blood between the charger players and Seau?. Or has anyone said that they feel disrespected by his decision? The man clearly wanted to keep going and was thinking about playing next season as well. With who is a different matter. Most likely the pats again.

San Diego Chicken
01-08-2007, 12:54 AM

Do you think there were would be any bad blood between the charger players and Seau?. Or has anyone said that they feel disrespected by his decision? The man clearly wanted to keep going and was thinking about playing next season as well. With who is a different matter. Most likely the pats again.

No, I really don't think there is any bad blood there at all. I know that LaDainian is still good friends with Seau, Seau really took him under his wing when LT was a young player. I think most people here understand that Seau still had the desire to play the game. Both Seau and Harrison should be recieved pretty well by the media here in San Diego and by the Chargers organization. Rodney should get a nice ovation in player introductions. When both of those guys were jettisoned out of here it was not recieved well because they were our defensive cogs and really the only link to the 94 team. The only possible thing I can see is Merriman saying in the offseason that he is going to be better than Seau but I don't think that is a big deal at all.

tylaw24
01-08-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm not sure on the severity of Rodney's injury but i know he'll work his butt off to get back in time for this game. He's a team leader and he brings a veteran presence that we could sure use for this match up.

SDCanesFan
01-08-2007, 12:08 PM
He gave a sack up to the Ravens on the last play of the game.

mav91
01-08-2007, 05:58 PM
yo guys...been gone for a while been busy with a bunch of stuff...big game this weekend..i think that the d is good enough to stop brady and co. and that the o is pretty much unstoppable as long as philip plays up to his potential...looking ahead i think that i'll be rooting for a colts win although getting another chance at the ravens would be nice they are much to difficult on d and too steady on o to play again..especially in the playoffs..but im pumped about this weekend and cant wait for it to get here

sdpads24
01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Who does Junior Seau want to win this game? I know Seau would want to win that ring but Seau has so many connections to the chargers and so little to the patriots.

01-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Who does Junior Seau want to win this game? I know Seau would want to win that ring but Seau has so many connections to the chargers and so little to the patriots.

He plays for the Patriots. Of course he wants them to win. It doesn't matter who he used to play for.

I-B-EZ@21133
01-08-2007, 10:24 PM

It's possible. If the Chargers win the Super Bowl this year I could see Marty retiring and Cam stepping in. That would be an ideal situation, I just wonder if Cam can wait that long.

On an unrelated note, I saw that Robert Meachem declared for the draft and he's another guy besides Ginn or Higgins that has that field stretcher 4.3 speed, and he also had very good size. He could legitimately be an Owens type gamechanger and there's a good possibility that he'd be there in the 30's.

That would be perfect. Honestly, I hope thats what happens.

sdpads24
01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
ya it would be interesting to see the chargers without marty at the helm

tylaw24
01-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Do you think someone within the organization is gonna get stupid and say something bad about the pats pre-game? Everyone knows that the pats build of this negativity and its a big motivational boost. Merriman came close saying at half time he thought the jets would win, but thats barely considered bulletin-board material.

I think teams are catching on though. Last season Mike Vanderjagt predicted a demolition of the pats and was publicly punished by the administration. The guy is a dickhead anyway. And SD is too classy for that sort of thing.

San Diego Chicken
01-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Do you think someone within the organization is gonna get stupid and say something bad about the pats pre-game? Everyone knows that the pats build of this negativity and its a big motivational boost. Merriman came close saying at half time he thought the jets would win, but thats barely considered bulletin-board material.

I think teams are catching on though. Last season Mike Vanderjagt predicted a demolition of the pats and was publicly punished by the administration. The guy is a dickhead anyway. And SD is too classy for that sort of thing.

I don't think so. I think the players are all business this week. We don't really have many trash talkers on the team anyway except for Merriman and he's more of a self promoter than a trash talker. If only Jason Taylor played for the Pats :lol:

Ray Finkle
01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/01/10/merriman_predicts_victory_for_chargers/

Shiver
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM

I don't know for sure. I want to say he gave up one to Jared Allen but I could be wrong.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=7799&Submit=Go

He gave up five.

bergo23
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=7799&Submit=Go

He gave up five.

His first was the last play of the game in a desperate situation in Baltimore, when their rush knew we were throwing. He has done a great job, I don't know if any LT has gone through an NFL season allowing no sacks, even the great JO in Baltimore must have allowed one or two. I know he shut Merriman out, and I know Shawne wants another shot at 'him for that reason. I remember some smart ass comment from Bart Scott, telling JO "turn the lights back on"...we'll see about round 2 if we get past the Pats and the Ravens take care of the Colts.

bluegrassbubba
01-12-2007, 01:05 AM
quick question...

I haven't watched many chargers games because I am on the East Coast but how has cromartie done this year? I really wanted the jets to get him but the chargers picked him up.

p.s. Good luck in the playoffs guys

bergo23
01-12-2007, 05:08 AM
quick question...

I haven't watched many chargers games because I am on the East Coast but how has cromartie done this year? I really wanted the jets to get him but the chargers picked him up.

p.s. Good luck in the playoffs guys

He has been solid, not spectacular his first season. He mainly takes Florence's spot at RC, and Florence moves into the slot to cover on nickel situations. His outstanding speed has been evident on a few kickoff returns he's been given. He had a bad game against Ocho Cinco in Cincy.......I hope he takes a chance and jumps a route for a pick 6 against Brady to show the world the ball skills he has. That is the one thing he hasn't shown is the big pick, but he hasn't had that many chances being a nickel corner.

sdpads24
01-12-2007, 11:32 PM
just thought I'd say my prediction for the game now: Chargers 35 Patriots 28

sdpads24
01-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Colts here we come

San Diego Chicken
01-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Well, it's almost upon us guys. This is it. I'm excited and nervous. I should be getting some sleep because tailgating is going to start nice and early (8:30 am). It's going to be pretty cold too. So I figure some coffee (spiked with a little Kahlua 8) ) would be a nice way to get the day started, along with maybe a breakfast burrito from Jack in the Box, or maybe a egg and cheese bagel, either way. Then of course comes the Mini-kegs of Heineken and lunch - Chicken and sausages, while listening to the Bears/Hawks game on the radio. Probably more beer after that to cap it off, and then it's off to lower view 36, row 4 seat 6 for the main event. I figure the football gods owe me one for that rainy Saturday night 2 years ago, but win lose or draw this is what football is all about. And I've got a feeling that this is going to be a memorable game between two great teams. I'd take a blowout too though (provided it's in favor of the good guys of course...).

Anyway, to all my true Bolts fans, and any Pats fans that might be reading, enjoy the game, it's going to be fun for sure. Most of all lets keep this team in perspective - we've earned the #1 pick in the draft twice in the last seven seasons. To have the Chargers, yes the Chargers, the team that used to be just morbid, on the main stage at home is amazing and something I realistically couldn't have seen happening a few years ago. Lets as fans prove to the city that this team should get a nice new stadium to show off for future playoff games, because they've earned it.

tylaw24
01-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Well, it's almost upon us guys. This is it. I'm excited and nervous. I should be getting some sleep because tailgating is going to start nice and early (8:30 am). It's going to be pretty cold too. So I figure some coffee (spiked with a little Kahlua 8) ) would be a nice way to get the day started, along with maybe a breakfast burrito from Jack in the Box, or maybe a egg and cheese bagel, either way. Then of course comes the Mini-kegs of Heineken and lunch - Chicken and sausages, while listening to the Bears/Hawks game on the radio. Probably more beer after that to cap it off, and then it's off to lower view 36, row 4 seat 6 for the main event. I figure the football gods owe me one for that rainy Saturday night 2 years ago, but win lose or draw this is what football is all about. And I've got a feeling that this is going to be a memorable game between two great teams. I'd take a blowout too though (provided it's in favor of the good guys of course...).

Anyway, to all my true Bolts fans, and any Pats fans that might be reading, enjoy the game, it's going to be fun for sure. Most of all lets keep this team in perspective - we've earned the #1 pick in the draft twice in the last seven seasons. To have the Chargers, yes the Chargers, the team that used to be just morbid, on the main stage at home is amazing and something I realistically couldn't have seen happening a few years ago. Lets as fans prove to the city that this team should get a nice new stadium to show off for future playoff games, because they've earned it.

Great post. It has been a major turnaround for you guys over the past few seasons and you will be soaking it up for a while it seems. Im not too sure of this blowout you speak of, but I feel this will be a very close game. The way I see it, the team that has the better defence on the day should win, because everyone knows "Defence Wins Championships" and its been proven.

EdReedUnstoppable
01-14-2007, 07:23 AM
What is Michael Turner's contract situation with the Chargers? is he a UFA or a RFA after this season?

And also good luck to you guys, I hope you win it all now, and I hope Shawne Merriman dominates Brady and Manning!

tylaw24
01-14-2007, 08:28 AM
What is Michael Turner's contract situation with the Chargers? is he a UFA or a RFA after this season?

And also good luck to you guys, I hope you win it all now, and I hope Shawne Merriman dominates Brady and Manning!

Turner is an RFA after this season. Merriman alone isn't going to dominate Brady. His coolness under pressure is what has earned him his rep in the playoffs. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.

EdReedUnstoppable
01-14-2007, 08:29 AM

Turner is an RFA after this season. Merriman alone isn't going to dominate Brady. His coolness under pressure is what has earned him his rep in the playoffs. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.

That would be why I said I hope he dominates him.

SterlingSharpe
01-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I came to offer my condolences because the Chargers outplayed and outcoached NE today, but too many stupid mistakes, dropped passes, fumbles and one kicker made his short one and one kicker missed his long one.

I am beyond sick of New England and Indianapolis and might take in a movie next week instead of watching those two again.

I think most of America wanted the Chargers and Saints....

But I don't think anyone is in this forum anyway as no Chargers posts since this am.... if anyone is here still, my condolences. I still hurt from some worse playoff losses for my Packers.

sdpads24
01-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I came to offer my condolences because the Chargers outplayed and outcoached NE today, but too many stupid mistakes, dropped passes, fumbles and one kicker made his short one and one kicker missed his long one.

I am beyond sick of New England and Indianapolis and might take in a movie next week instead of watching those two again.

I think most of America wanted the Chargers and Saints....

But I don't think anyone is in this forum anyway as no Chargers posts since this am.... if anyone is here still, my condolences. I still hurt from some worse playoff losses for my Packers.

thanks..it's gonna take a while to get over this one

San Diego Chicken
01-14-2007, 09:47 PM
It was a great regular season anyway, but wow, what can you say after a game like this. Were we overrated? Did we have an easy ride? Is it coaching? I don't know.

sdpads24
01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
It was a great regular season anyway, but wow, what can you say after a game like this. Were we overrated? Did we have an easy ride? Is it coaching? I don't know.
Without a doubt i think marty is gone. AJ has been trying to get rid of him since we lost to the Jets in 2004

Number 10
01-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Do you think Marty could be a 4-3 DC? My mind is slipping.

cowboysforever
01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Did Merriman go juice up during his "injury" visit to the locker room?

And what is up with LT having an emotional break down over Patriots laughing at Merriman's dance after the loss?

Never saw LT cry once after Merriman show boated 17.5 times this season.

sdpads24
01-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Do you think Marty could be a 4-3 DC? My mind is slipping.
Yes, I kind of feel bad for Marty but hopefully he can land a job somewhere else where he can have success in any scheme (assuming we fire him)

Shiver
01-15-2007, 01:39 AM

I think everyone envies your team. It's the most loaded, in terms of talent. When it comes to experience, it falls short. Both from the players, and lack of winning experience from the coaching staff. AJ Smith has built a hell of a roster.

bergo23
01-15-2007, 05:51 AM

And what is up with LT having an emotional break down over Patriots laughing at Merriman's dance after the loss?

Merriman's mouth and Dance sure do provide plenty of controversy! Kid is just having fun, but when other teams taunt it.......they are not trying to have fun........they are trying to rub it in. LT is classy even in his honesty.......he just represented the bitterness all of us Bolt fans across the country feel.

I don't respect Belichick, Brady is clutch........and the Pats run is coming to a close.......they will lose Samuel, very weak secondary.........average Oline.....very old LBing core outside of Colvin......I know nothing about the rook from California. I do hope we get another shot at 'em next year in the playoffs, maybe another beatdown in Foxboro next regular season can give us some confidence.

Whoever takes over after Marty has a dream roster, hopefully AJ can hit another homerun in the draft. Rivers is gonna lead us to a Lombardi or 5, he had a good game to finish off his first season, but dropped balls killed him.

SterlingSharpe
01-15-2007, 07:53 AM

You weren't overrated, just played poorly from a few players like all your WRs, and your DBs made bad plays at the wrong times. It's pretty much as simple as that. That was enough, but throw in Marty wasting 35 seconds by challenging that interception play and losing a valuable time out. You guys could have used that timeout to get that last FG 10-20 yards closer, although Kaeding porbably would have snap-hooked it anyway like 2 years ago.

Indianapolis chokes every season....

My Packers lost a game in this round in 2003 when we had Philly beaten with a minute to go, and they had 4th & 26 coming off us sacking them on 2nd down and 3rd down.

We also lost a playoff game in 1999 coming off 2 straight Super Bowls when we had the SF 49ers beaten when Jerry Rice fumbled on their final drive and we recovered. But the zebra ruled him down and there as no way to challenge back then. Replays, announcers showed the obvious fumble, but of course the ref was on the opposite side of Rice's body and couldn't see it. Then the 49ers were down to their last play and Steve Young found the young Terrell Owens from about 30 yards out over 3 LBers who played to shallow. There went the chance at a 3rd straight Super Bowl.

That Philly 4th & 26 one still stings a lot because we would have gone into Carolina and won, and our offense was unstoppable that year really with 1800+ yards Ahman and the young Javon Walker and Donald Driver.

At least your greatest players are mostly all young. You'll be right back next year in the thick of things but as I have said for 3 years, the WR position seriously needs to be addressed finally. Rivers will be fine. He was fine yesterday except 9 passes went off the hands of his receivers. Plus remember he was playing a very tricky NE defense that has given all QBs fits.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 09:48 AM

Merriman's mouth and Dance sure do provide plenty of controversy! Kid is just having fun, but when other teams taunt it.......they are not trying to have fun........they are trying to rub it in. LT is classy even in his honesty.......he just represented the bitterness all of us Bolt fans across the country feel.

I don't respect Belichick, Brady is clutch.......

So Merriman is not taunting and rubbing it in but the Patriot where? What Steroid are you injecting into yourself?

You get what you give. You got it yesterday. Take it like a man. No need to start whimpering like a 5 year old to the NFL Network. Might as well send LT a skirt after that one.

And with respect to Belichick? Huh? 3 SB Rings -- at much as I think he is a jerk he is brilliant. Beat your arses yesterday.

sdpads24
01-15-2007, 11:47 AM

I don't respect Belichick, Brady is clutch.......

So Merriman is not taunting and rubbing it in but the Patriot where? What Steroid are you injecting into yourself?

You get what you give. You got it yesterday. Take it like a man. No need to start whimpering like a 5 year old to the NFL Network. Might as well send LT a skirt after that one.

And with respect to Belichick? Huh? 3 SB Rings -- at much as I think he is a jerk he is brilliant. Beat your arses yesterday.

cmon cowboys, stop rubbing it in

hans3n
01-15-2007, 02:14 PM

Merriman tested positive before the season started. Chargers killed themselves like the cowboys did, but the chargers are the better team

San Diego Chicken
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I've been bringing it up over and over but again, LT's not getting involved in the screen game/swing pass game was a big factor. His 58 yard screen play was the last pass he caught. This has been a big problem in the second half of the season. Why the best recieving RB in the league has to beg to be used in the passing game is beyond me.

umphrey
01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
you guys need to fire marty, cut vincent jackson (he had so many key drops in that game), draft a WR in the first and try to trade your 2nd rounder for a veteran WR if you can't find one in FA. IMO those are they only things holding you back but your team seems really desperate for WR help

bergo23
01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
It would be great to upgrade the WR position, but VJ and Parker will be fine, but they had some costly drops yesterday (very uncharacteristic).....Keenan was a non-factor but I do hope he stays to mentot a kid we get on the first day: Meacham, either of the LSU guys, or Johnny Lee Higgins are my hopes......but none of those guys will be difference makers for us in year 1.

Trading a second seems like a sound idea, but who would be available?: wouldn't touch either Oakland guy with a 10 ft pole.

Getting a guy like Javon Walker was a coup for the Bronc's.....don't know if anybody like that could become available.

Our biggest need is still a cover safety, and unless we get a first for Turner (less than 50/50) and move up Landry and Nelson will be gone.

Maybe just move up a couple of spots from 28, and nab Micheal Griffin......I think the Pats might take him with their Seattle pick.....so we would need to leap frog them.

This team has dynasty written all over it, but who will lead us? Its a tough question because you want to maintain continuity....and not scrap both playbooks.

bingbing
01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Ya Baby

GO PATS!!!!!!!

sdpads24
01-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Ya Baby

GO PATS!!!!!!!
cmon, get a life

sdpads24
01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
what draft pick will the charger have this year?

bingbing
01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Nice try though. You guys were the toughest team we faced. You guys will be stacked in the years to come.

sdpads24
01-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Nice try though. You guys were the toughest team we faced. You guys will be stacked in the years to come.

we are stacked now

bergo23
01-16-2007, 07:04 AM
what draft pick will the charger have this year?

Should be #29, as the playoff teams lose its the teams with the worst regular season record that get the higher picks, so Seattle (which the Pats own), Philly should get #25,26, Baltimore #27, and us at #28...

The "final 4" will fill in #'s 29-32.

Since NE is looking for a safety as well, and Griffin should be available late in the first, we might have to trade up a few picks to get him (their Seattle pick should be #25 or 26), but we have lots of day two picks and an extra third we could give to do that. Just depends on if we think Griffin is a difference maker. If we trade Turner this could give us two 1st rounders (or would the first rounder be 2008 for Turner?)

If we resign Dielman we have one less hole to fill.....and it would be nice to keep that continuity on that line......eventually getting a tackle to move Olivea inside to replace Goff. Signing Dielman means we could concentrate on S, WR and ILB for day one picks.

bergo23
01-16-2007, 07:05 AM
oops! I stated #28 in the subject line, then did a type with #29 in the narrative! I am pretty sure we get #28.

sdpads24
01-16-2007, 05:16 PM
oops! I stated #28 in the subject line, then did a type with #29 in the narrative! I am pretty sure we get #28.
how come in all the mock drafts, there giving us the 30th?

DWhitner20
01-16-2007, 10:38 PM
So whats going to be the deal with Michael Turner this offseason? What will he be tendered? Will he be tendered? What will it realisitcally take to get him? Etc...

San Diego Chicken
01-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Just wondering if you guys had caught this snippet from the melee after the game on Sunday - Rivers calling Ellis Hobbs "The sorriest corner in the league" :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0wBRKX7axE&eurl=

(ff to 1:25 in the clip)

Gotta love Phil.

bergo23
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Just wondering if you guys had caught this snippet from the melee after the game on Sunday - Rivers calling Ellis Hobbs "The sorriest corner in the league" :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0wBRKX7axE&eurl=

(ff to 1:25 in the clip)

Gotta love Phil.

Bring it Phil!!! Standing with LT will make this into a HUGE rivalry in the coming years.........I for one can't wait to dominate them again in Foxboro next year, but of course we will not get complete vindication until we shut 'em up in January. They are a team on the decline........we are on the assent, but they have the rightful place of 3 time champ. I hope Peyton spanks 'em this weekend to end the mystique of Belichick's supposed Genius....the guy has no class, and it filtered through his players after they beat us.

Should be interesting if the Pats lose this weekend and Belichick coaches LT and OUR ProBowl QB!!!!!!! :shock:

bergo23
01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
how come in all the mock drafts, there giving us the 30th?

I honestly don't know, teams that are still in it should have later picks than us, even if they had worse records in the regular season........saying we pick 30th means even the teams that lose this weekend would pick ahead of us.....strange.

01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
The final four don't get the last four picks. The only picks contigent upon the playoffs are #31 and #32. The Colts lost first round last year and got the #30 pick.

San Diego Chicken
01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Anybody know of any good OC canidates, either around the league or in college? It looks like Cam is at least 50/50 out of here next year. We can't afford to take a step back in playcalling.

sdpads24
01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Anybody know of any good OC canidates, either around the league or in college? It looks like Cam is at least 50/50 out of here next year. We can't afford to take a step back in playcalling.
i don't now if Brain schottenheimer(marty's son) is available. Also there is our current QB coach john Ramsdell. Thats all i can think of on the top of my head.

San Diego Chicken
01-19-2007, 04:19 PM
James Lofton could be promoted to OC -

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070119-1214-bn20lofton.html

Rather have Ramsdell? I think I would but what concerns me is neither of these guys have much experience in playcalling.

draftguru151
01-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Thank you for Cameron.

Do you guys know how many sacks McNeill gave up this year? I keep hearing 2 but I saw a site that had him listed at 5.

sdpads24
01-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Thank you for Cameron.

Do you guys know how many sacks McNeill gave up this year? I keep hearing 2 but I saw a site that had him listed at 5.
Your very welcome on Cameron, I hope he does well. 2 sacks for McNeill sounds right to me but i'm not sure

bergo23
01-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Does anybody think Shelmon might do a good job replacing Cameron? He is our RB's coach, LT and Lo Neal love the guy...and he might find ways to get Sproles more involved. I guess he called plays in our last preseason game this year.

Lofton is a big name, but none of his players seem to have blossomed, like Turner did for Shelmon.

hans3n
01-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Does anybody think Shelmon might do a good job replacing Cameron? He is our RB's coach, LT and Lo Neal love the guy...and he might find ways to get Sproles more involved. I guess he called plays in our last preseason game this year.

Lofton is a big name, but none of his players seem to have blossomed, like Turner did for Shelmon.

For Lofton, Jackson and Floyd stepped up big for us this year

bergo23
01-21-2007, 05:10 PM

For Lofton, Jackson and Floyd stepped up big for us this year

true Dat, VJ and Floyd did step up..........my Bad, I guess my last statement is tinted by my predjudice against Lofton cuz of the Sexual Harrassment case(s).

sdpads24
01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Whats gonna happen to Kris Dielman? He is a RFA and hopefully we can sign him long term but then again who knows with AJ

KRS1
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Anyone got a draft wish list?

I'm looking straight at Higgins as the deep threat WR we need and... Yeah I know all about his issues but Brandon Merriwether would be great in our secondary! Anyways, I am just kinda curious what everyone else thinks.

sdpads24
01-23-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm looking straight at Higgins as the deep threat WR we need and... Yeah I know all about his issues but Brandon Merriwether would be great in our secondary! Anyways, I am just kinda curious what everyone else thinks.
It would be nice two have either of them but would both be reaches at pick #30. I think it's a better possibility that we draft either Meachem, Rice, or Griffen.

parcells
01-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Dielman is an UFA, not an RFA, unfortunately. He's been in the league four years.

bergo23
01-24-2007, 08:31 AM

It would be nice two have either of them but would both be reaches at pick #30. I think it's a better possibility that we draft either Meachem, Rice, or Griffen.

I do think Higgins would be a reach, but not Merriweather, he has the perfect skill set to add to our secondary, fast enough to play corner.......would help immensely in playing center field against the pass allowing Jammer and Cro to take chances and jump routes underneath......did you see what Samuel did against Peyton when he knew he had help over the top?! This defense is one player either Merriweather or Nelson (but he will be long gone) away from being DOMINANT.

Merriweather would have been a sure first rounder without the character questions..............if we didn't have all the off the field problems with the Bolts this year, including Kiel the guy we need to replace.........we may pass on Merriweather, but I hope AJ takes a chance, and does his homework on the character question.

I doubt AJ will take the risk given Kiel's problems off the field........but his skill set may be too hard to pass up.

DonWoods33
01-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Take a pass on Dielman, resign Phillips, trade Turner and Olivea for the Browns 2 and 3rds. If I had my way I would get DFlo's ass out of town too. Sign some Secondary and OL depth (and not Len Davis) from Free Agency.

Sign a WR either Drew Bennett or Donte Stallworth.

If you sign Stallworth.

1) Paul Posluszny ILB-Penn State
2) Michael Griffin FS-Texas
2) Josh Wilson CB/PR-Maryland
3) James Marten OT-Boston College
3) Manuel Ramirez OG-Texas Tech
3) Kolby Smith RB-Louisville
4) Brian Robison DE/OLB-Texas
5) Jacoby Jones WR-Lane College
6) trade to Tenn for Bill Volek
7) Stanley Doughty NT-South Carolina

If you sign Bennett

1) Griffin
2) John Lee Huggins-WR/PR-UTEP
2) Buster Davis-ILB-FSU
3) James Marten OT-Boston College
3) Manuel Ramirez OG-Texas Tech
3) Kenny Scott CB-Georgia Tech
4) Brian Robison DE/OLB-Texas
5) Ahmad Bradshwaw RB-Marshall
6) traded to Tenn for Billy Volek
7) Brandon Myles WR-West Virginia

Well thats all I got. Wonder if these guys will be any good.

KRS1
01-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I honestly don't see A.J. paying big in free agency for WR. Stallworth and Bennett are good players but both will probably get more money than they are worth and that's not really A.J.'s style. I really believe they like all their recievers and are only lacking the true deep threat (i.e. my Higgins suggestion). I can definitely see them taking PUZ and I would be doing backflips if he is there at 30 but in no way shape or form do I expect him to be. I really love Turner and think the depth he provides behind LT is invaluble but if A.J. can get an early 2nd pick for him I would do it in a heartbeat. I know taking Merriwether at 30 might be a slight stretch and Higgins would be even bigger but since at 30 we are pretty much out of the running for a real A+ prospect I think we need to go with the best player at a need position. Scott has mentioned that both guys are looking really good at the senior bowl so maybe by the time the draft rolls around neither will be 1st round reaches. I don't know we'll see I guess I just don't see much better options at 30 then going for needs.

DonWoods33
01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
I honestly don't see A.J. paying big in free agency for WR. Stallworth and Bennett are good players but both will probably get more money than they are worth and that's not really A.J.'s style. I really believe they like all their recievers and are only lacking the true deep threat (i.e. my Higgins suggestion). I can definitely see them taking PUZ and I would be doing backflips if he is there at 30 but in no way shape or form do I expect him to be. I really love Turner and think the depth he provides behind LT is invaluble but if A.J. can get an early 2nd pick for him I would do it in a heartbeat. I know taking Merriwether at 30 might be a slight stretch and Higgins would be even bigger but since at 30 we are pretty much out of the running for a real A+ prospect I think we need to go with the best player at a need position. Scott has mentioned that both guys are looking really good at the senior bowl so maybe by the time the draft rolls around neither will be 1st round reaches. I don't know we'll see I guess I just don't see much better options at 30 then going for needs.

I see your point. But remember he did sign McCree last year, (and overpaid at least that was the common thought through the league) and its pretty apparent that they need another WR. I was never a big fan of Parker, hes a lousy punt returner, and his drops always seem to come up at big spots. I think the jury is still out on Jackson as well. He's just not that consistent, and lacks real good ball skills at least at this point (too much body catching) to be a number 1 guy in the immediate future. Of course I could be wrong. I thought MacNeil was a right tackle! So I have a track record there. I live here in Philly now, and saw Stallworth a lot. He is very dynamic, better then anyone you'll get in the draft, (except maybe CJ). There is talk that the Eagles are lukewarm on resigning him. My problem with him is that he missed about five games with a bad hammy and that it could be an ongoing issue for him. I think if does go on the market he will get a big number and a lot of years, since he is only 26 yo. So I would understand if they took a pass on him. Bennett might be a better option, less years, less money. And he is from CA, and a UCLA grad, so thats probably attractive to him. Hes not going to be much of deep threat, but thats over blown in my eyes. He is going to be solid and reliable for you for a few years until the younger guys develop further. I really liked what I saw of Floyd he is kind of the wildcard in the whole thing. I think he could be a guy that really emerges next year, if he can finally stay healthy.

DonWoods33
01-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Puz might fall because of his lack of measurables. I think he would be better as a inside 3-4 guy then an outside 4-3 guy. Maybe like a more physical but slower Donnie Edwards(who if by some miracle they resign I would be happy as hell about) And he played MLB for PSU later this year. I like Turner a lot as well, and think he would be a guy that could be a franchise type back, but your going to lose him next year for nothing. So I would try and get something for the guy. Its just going to be hard in my eyes to get a First round pick for him. Maybe if he had more then one start over last couple of years I could see that. Maybe Chud in Cleve likes him I hope and convinces the Browns that he's gonna be great.
As for Merriweather,he would shore up their greatest weakness, a guy to run the alleys, and defend the deep ball. Of course he has had his issues off the field. That being said I kind of like Griffin better, though he might not be quite the centerfielder that Merriweather is, but he's less risky and offers a great special teams value. I can't remember when or if the Chargers ever having a great Kick blocker, and have been following them since I was a kid in 71-72. I do remember Louie Wright blocking a couple of kicks against them though. LOL

KRS1
01-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I like Stallworth a lot but I just don't see A.J. spending on him like he did on McCree (even though I would like him to). McCree is basically a coach back there and made the secondary so much more respectable it's not even funny so I see why A.J. did it. I think a deep threat would force defenses to open up the field a lot more for Gates, Jackson, Floyd and Parker who are all either jump and catch or possesion type recievers or get burnt deep. Remember most of these recievers were perfect for small armed QB like Brees but Rivers can throw bombs. We'll see if anyone steps up between now and the draft but right honestly if I were picking right now Merriweather unless someone like Puz or someone like that falls.

draftguru151
01-24-2007, 05:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHYMr40wTlU&mode=related&search=

My friend sent me this, Rivers outrunning Merriman. :lol:

sdpads24
01-24-2007, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHYMr40wTlU&mode=related&search=

My friend sent me this, Rivers outrunning Merriman. :lol:
that's funny, but if Merriman wanted to, I think he could have gotten him

01-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Do you think you will be able to resign Kris Dielman? What type of OL is he? Pros and Cons?

Would you take the Browns early 3rd round pick and 6th RD for Turner?

DonWoods33
01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Do you think you will be able to resign Kris Dielman? What type of OL is he? Pros and Cons?

Would you take the Browns early 3rd round pick and 6th RD for Turner?

""Scout's Notebook: Chargers OG Kris Dielman

By Nolan Nawrocki
Oct. 8, 2006

Kris Dielman

Kris Dielman
Fourth in a series

OG Kris Dielman
San Diego Chargers
HT: 6-3¼; WT: 310; SPD: 5.1 (est.)

Notes: Lined up at tight end at Indiana University his first two years before moving to defensive tackle, where he was voted defensive MVP by teammates as a senior in 2002. Played the last four games with a torn tendon in his ankle, had surgery following the season and did not work out prior to the draft, leaving him undrafted. Signed by the Chargers as a free agent, where former IU head coach Cam Cameron had taken over as the offensive coordinator the previous year. Was cut after coming to training camp as a defensive tackle, returning a week later on the practice squad on the other side of the ball. Was activated for special-teams duty late in the year, where he saw time again in ’04, lining up late in the year in the goal-line offense. Saw a lot of time as a blocking tight end in the ’05 opener before replacing an injured Toniu Fonoti in Week Three and starting the final 14 games. Was extended a first-round tender as a restricted free agent in the spring of ’06.

Positives: Plays with a streetfighter’s mentality and will get after opponents, manhandling Titans DT Albert Haynesworth in Week Two. Plays nasty and aggressively with a defensive temperament. Very intense. Is built like a brick outhouse and is as strong as an ox. When he stays low and plays with leverage, he can stone defenders at the line of scrimmage. Will launch defenders with a powerful punch and bury defenders when working in tandems. Shows the ability to short-pull, kick out and lead up in a hole and is functional blocking downfield. Very effective cut-blocking. After losing ground initially in pass protection, he can regain his leverage and anchor.

Negatives: Is raw, with only one year of starting experience and is still a work in progress as a technician and learning how to play the position. Wore down late last year and needs to show he can hold up for a full season. Will struggle a bit anchoring vs. top power and can continue getting stronger in the lower body. Not a great athlete and will get overextended and fall off blocks on the second level. Needs to learn how to use his hands better to control and steer.

Summary: Ex-tight end and converted defensive tackle who compensates for a lack of experience with toughness, attitude and desire. Has developed into a solid starter, and at only 25 years old, the arrow is pointing up. Has matured and could be a staple in the Chargers’ line for a long time — a great fit for Marty Schottenheimer, power football.""

For what its worth. He is a Pro Bowl alternate, and most of Tomlinsons TDs and long runs went to the left side behind Dielman and McNeil. Check the tape of Baltimore and New England, check Turner on the Ravens tape too.

As far as Turner is concerned. I might take that, but would probably want something conditional based on performance for 08 depending on the number of snaps he plays. Of course in most of my fantasy mocks I have the Chargers getting the Browns high second. But don't dispear I have Turner running for 1400 yards, at 4.5 a pop with a dozen TDs too.

DonWoods33
01-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I like Stallworth a lot but I just don't see A.J. spending on him like he did on McCree (even though I would like him to). McCree is basically a coach back there and made the secondary so much more respectable it's not even funny so I see why A.J. did it. I think a deep threat would force defenses to open up the field a lot more for Gates, Jackson, Floyd and Parker who are all either jump and catch or possesion type recievers or get burnt deep. Remember most of these recievers were perfect for small armed QB like Brees but Rivers can throw bombs. We'll see if anyone steps up between now and the draft but right honestly if I were picking right now Merriweather unless someone like Puz or someone like that falls.

Well we will just have to see what happens. Its not big deal to me that they get a burner. I think having an All Pro Tight End opens up things in the running game, and they did rush for plenty of yards. I think what happens a lot and I saw this at the Raider game in November firsthand, and on TV during the New England game. Is that they just stop or slow down running the ball sometimes. Too me it doesnt matter if you get a little out of balance running the ball. Hell run it, run it, run it, until they prove they can stop it. In those games and a few others they seemed like they just tried to force the issue and threw alot and didnt look too good doing it. That being said it would be nice to have somebody that can consistently get open and make catches on third down, and sell the play action stuff which I don't think they take advantage enough of. If that were a guy that can get deep that would be a great option. Of course they did lead the league in scoring so this is just nipicking I guess. I just hope they get somebody consistent, that can keep the chains moving, whether it be a FA or a someone in the draft. I hear and see it alot that Sidney Rice is mentioned, not sure if I want to wait three years for a guy to break out especially when hes not fast enough to play the slot in the mean time. Decent point about Brees btw.

DonWoods33
01-24-2007, 10:01 PM

Found this tidbit about Merriweather on another site, so take how you want.
Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami - Had scintillating INT by cutting in front of Joe Newton, who looked open when the ball was thrown, didn’t respond to coaching well

If thats true with all the stuff that went on with DFlo and Olivea's Personal Fouls during the New England game, plus all the off field stuff with Foley, Phillips and Kiels and then the other two lesser guys getting busted too. As much as I like Merriweather. I think I would have to pass on him

bergo23
01-25-2007, 05:23 AM
I like the idea of getting Cleveland's high second for Turner, but still believe we could get the Jets #1 for him. It needs to be a top 50 pick for Burner, he has shown plenty in his brief opportunities.

If we are hearing more red flags about Merriweather just think about what scouts are hearing........AJ will likely pass on him, as he doesn't want another embarrassment like he had with Kiel.

I am starting like like Weddle in the #30 mix if Poz or Bowe aren't available. Higgins with our 2nd seems like the best fit of value and need. I am sure AJ views Poz as his Shane Conlon from his buffalo days.
I am interested to see what another coordinator could do if Phillips leaves for Dallas. Manusky would keep the 3-4 but be more aggressive.

DonWoods33
01-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I like the idea of getting Cleveland's high second for Turner, but still believe we could get the Jets #1 for him. It needs to be a top 50 pick for Burner, he has shown plenty in his brief opportunities.

If we are hearing more red flags about Merriweather just think about what scouts are hearing........AJ will likely pass on him, as he doesn't want another embarrassment like he had with Kiel.

I am starting like like Weddle in the #30 mix if Poz or Bowe aren't available. Higgins with our 2nd seems like the best fit of value and need. I am sure AJ views Poz as his Shane Conlon from his buffalo days.
I am interested to see what another coordinator could do if Phillips leaves for Dallas. Manusky would keep the 3-4 but be more aggressive.

I thought I heard that JJ really likes Phillips so he might be gone. The defense has been constructed as a 3-4 so you really couldn't change that. I guess you have to wait until the draft to see what happens with Merriweather. All the scouts and personel guys are down there are observing him, so if he goes beyond the middle 2nd round, you'll know that there really are some character concerns.
I see you write on the UT site too. I cant figure out how too. Look at the CFX thing and note LB Wihelm's deal. I guess Smith figures him to start? Here it is:
#57 Matt Wilhelm: 4th NFL season. Original contract one year thru 2006 season ($721,600). Signed five year extension thru 2011 season (approx. $15M w/incentives)
If thats the case I don't see them drafting a ILB early, but who knows?

Apriori
01-25-2007, 01:59 PM
as a life long chargers fan..and been studying what aj smith has done with the teams the last 3 years
i noticed he gets UNDER THE RADAR players "like last year marlon mcree"
so i think he could make a run @ another veteran safety like ken hamlin

as for trading turner..it could be for a high 2nd round pick or possibly for leverage to move up

san diego has way to many picks in the draft again and not many needs

DonWoods33
01-25-2007, 02:13 PM
as a life long chargers fan..and been studying what aj smith has done with the teams the last 3 years
i noticed he gets UNDER THE RADAR players "like last year marlon mcree"
so i think he could make a run @ another veteran safety like ken hamlin

as for trading turner..it could be for a high 2nd round pick or possibly for leverage to move up

san diego has way to many picks in the draft again and not many needs

Not a big Hamlin fan. That team gets beaten over the top like a drum. VJackson's Game Winner, and check out what Chicago did in the playoff game. I really don't know why people in like him so much. Thanks but no thanks.

Apriori
01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
i actually thought it was michael boulware who got burned on the play

hamlin is more of a run stuffing player who wouldnt have to play centerfield
i do like the idea of the chargers getting a player who can make a difference as a centerfielder and allow mcree to move around

we are def outta the running for reggie nelson and laron landry, but michael griffen could make a serious difference with the chargers defense

everyone wants mecheam 1st round...but id want a safety 1st round and an underrated wr in the 2nd ala steve smith usc

sdpads24
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM

i do like the idea of the chargers getting a player who can make a difference as a centerfielder and allow mcree to move around

we are def outta the running for reggie nelson and laron landry, but michael griffen could make a serious difference with the chargers defense

everyone wants mecheam 1st round...but id want a safety 1st round and an underrated wr in the 2nd ala steve smith usc
how bout we use the pick we get for Turner and try to trade up to get Nelson or Landry. I think Griffen is a tad overrated

Apriori
01-25-2007, 05:47 PM

how bout we use the pick we get for Turner and try to trade up to get Nelson or Landry. I think Griffen is a tad overrated

well 1 , we dont know whats turners value is...some people consider him like a LAMONT JORDAN..great backup running back who no one knows about
im a big turner fan but i dont consider him worth a 1st round pick..the most likely trade value we could get for him = the 35th pick in the draft from the jets thru the skins
AJ SMITH is a smart guy id support anything he does for us..trading up into the top 15 for either nelson or landry would be ok with me

DonWoods33
01-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Final drive of the game and hes not even in the game? Seems odd. I don't think run stuffing is the problem, especially at FS.
The other thing is McCree. I know everyone likes him, and he played OK, and overall the secondary covered decent. I think thats more of a factor of Jammer and Florence playing better. But hes really not a great player by any means. He's been a journeyman on his fourth team, and Carolina has all kinds of issues at safety and they let him walk. What does that tell you? I will give the guy his props hes a big hitter, and intimidator, and seems like a good leader, but hes kind of limited.

bergo23
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
"The other thing is McCree. I know everyone likes him, and he played OK, and overall the secondary covered decent. I think thats more of a factor of Jammer and Florence playing better. But hes really not a great player by any means. He's been a journeyman on his fourth team, and Carolina has all kinds of issues at safety and they let him walk. What does that tell you? I will give the guy his props hes a big hitter, and intimidator, and seems like a good leader, but hes kind of limited.[/quote]

McCree is kind of a tweener safety: plays with the mentality of SS, maybe with more FS talent (size). I agree, he is somewhat limited, but a Nelson or Griffin would compliment his strengths, which are game preperation, and smarts (excluding the fumbled INT........I don't think any safety would have dropped that pick intentionally).....he needs a 4.4 guy who can play center field behind Jammer and DFlo. I even think Weddle if he runs a 4.4 would fit alongside McCree....it needs to be a guy who has CB skills........and those 3 safety's in this draft have those skills.

DonWoods33
01-26-2007, 12:00 PM
"The other thing is McCree. I know everyone likes him, and he played OK, and overall the secondary covered decent. I think thats more of a factor of Jammer and Florence playing better. But hes really not a great player by any means. He's been a journeyman on his fourth team, and Carolina has all kinds of issues at safety and they let him walk. What does that tell you? I will give the guy his props hes a big hitter, and intimidator, and seems like a good leader, but hes kind of limited.

McCree is kind of a tweener safety: plays with the mentality of SS, maybe with more FS talent (size). I agree, he is somewhat limited, but a Nelson or Griffin would compliment his strengths, which are game preperation, and smarts (excluding the fumbled INT........I don't think any safety would have dropped that pick intentionally).....he needs a 4.4 guy who can play center field behind Jammer and DFlo. I even think Weddle if he runs a 4.4 would fit alongside McCree....it needs to be a guy who has CB skills........and those 3 safety's in this draft have those skills.[/quote]

I agree, to me hes more of a SS, abeit a bit on the short side. But then again Polamalu isnt tall either. I hope they do get one of the five rated safeties this year(Laundry, Nelson, Griffin, Weddle or Merriweather). I am a big Griffin fan, because of the added value on special teams. It would awesome if he could block a punt or two a year. Weddle seems like a guy that would play real hard and is a great kid. If Merriweather's character issues check out OK. I think he has a chance to be excellent.
In any case they are kind of lucky this year if they think they need a safety there are five upper ranked guys, and a bunch of other guys, like Mike Johnson of ASU, Marvin White of TCU, and Dashon Goldson of Washington that have good potential as FS, along with all the other SS guys, like Gattis, Rouse and Welding. Just let us hope that if it is Griffin hes more consistent then Stanley Richard was, another Longhorn DB they took in 91

sdpads24
01-26-2007, 08:31 PM
My ideal chargers draft:

1.Griffen
2.Chris Davis
3.John Wendling or Aaron Rouse or maybe Micheal Johnson.
4.Jon Abbate

DonWoods33
01-28-2007, 03:39 PM
My ideal chargers draft:

1.Griffen
2.Chris Davis
3.John Wendling or Aaron Rouse or maybe Micheal Johnson.
4.Jon Abbate

Glad to see your off the Mecham, Rice thing. Good job, and I like your new avaitar better.

San Diego Chicken
01-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I don't think we can go into next year with the same WR corps. Looking back, our suspect WR's screwed us in the Patriots game and this is a function of AJ only drafting one in the last three drafts (VJ). In a draft with as many quality WR's as there are in this one, we should get one of the top 6 or 7, unless we plan on paying a Donte Stallworth in FA (which I doubt AJ will do)