PDA

View Full Version : Snap Judgments ~ Minicamp hightligts

Shiver
05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Anyway, here are some snap judgments Iíve made in this very early stage of minicamp; free association styleÖ

Michael Vick = Cool, collected, somewhat more muscular

Joey Harrington = Deliberate, mechanical

D.J. Shockley = A millisecond off track with his throws

Jerious Norwood = Jack rabbit quick, elusive

Jimmy Williams = A work in progress

Brian Finneran = Not fully recovered

Joe Horn = Fast and furious

Roddy White = Looking expendable

Laurent Robinson = A keeper

John Abraham = Imposing

DeAngelo Hall = Waiting for the spotlight

Chris Houston = Ball hawk

LINK (http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/falconscamp/)

Interesting. I will continue to update this thread with more quick hits as they come available.

iloxygenil
05-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Wow...yeah, B Finn is a goner imo. Roddy after all that work with the Force recievers better step his game up.

ksfalconsfan
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Interesting stuff. I think Finneran will stick around even if he isn't fully recovered. Only him and Crumpler have established complete trust with Vick. For that reason I hope that he can recover. If Roddy cant have a breakout year this year, he probably wont be a Falcon by next year, we have enough depth at WR, we could trade him.

thefalconer
05-11-2007, 08:32 PM
i'm worried about jimmy williams being a work in progress.

Shiver
05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
He's raw at the position. Eventually his physical talents will take over. From what I've read he is a motivated, hard worker.

iloxygenil
05-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Glad to hear Robinson is doing well, not glad to hear that Roddy still hasn't figured this thing out yet...

DraftMichaelHuff
05-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Will jimmy have to put the weight he lost back on again? If i were him that would be my only problem with the switch back to FS

ksfalconsfan
05-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Guys at the NFL level are asked to switch positions and add and lose weight all of the time. I wouldnt worry too much about that, it just might take him a while to get used to the nuances of playing safety. He's done it before though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

iloxygenil
05-12-2007, 08:43 AM
He will pick it up...but he's heavy enough even at 205, people put too much emphasis on that. He'll prolly end up playing about 215 - 220

Shiver
05-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Even at 6'2" 207-lbs, he is bigger than most NFL Free Safeties.

iloxygenil
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
The guy said Jimmy has LIMITED COVER skills...c'mon...that's BS...he was the nation's top corner 2 years ago...not because he can just physically abuse people, but because he was able to cover as well...stupid...pisses me off

ATLDirtyBirds
05-12-2007, 02:57 PM
The only thing I'm mad at right now, is the lack of photos.

iloxygenil
05-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Haha...yeah...well...I'm pretty pissed too. SI didn't even get a Jamaal up yet and they are supposed to have photos of the top 32 selections

thefalconer
05-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I think we should make a Official Minicamp thread. what do ya think Shiver?

Shiver
05-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Steve Wyche's top five observations from Mini-Camp:

1. They will be much bigger

There were 17 players on the mini-camp roster that weighed more than 300 pounds. Not all of the big bodies will make the final roster, but the Falcons have given themselves options along the offensive and defensive lines. Not all the growth has come among linemen, either. Tight ends Dwayne Blakley and Daniel Fells are noticeably bigger and each is pushing 260 pounds. Tailback Jerious Norwood is up five pounds to 210.

Anaylsis: Good to hear about Jerious Norwood. I think he will be a force this upcoming season, and hopefully the extra weight helps him run with more power. As well as helps him stay healthy.

2. There will be competition at wide receiver

The addition of Joe Horn and the drafting of Laurent Robinson could change the pecking order. Horn is clearly the No. 1 guy and Michael Jenkins appears to be the solid No. 2. Roddy White had a good mini-camp but Robinson, selected in the third round, created the most buzz. Adam Jennings didn't hurt himself, nor did free agent Fred Gibson. Brian Finneran, recovering from knee surgery, is expected to be back by preseason, but he could have his work cut out for him.

Analysis: As I have previously said, I truly expect Laurent Robinson to win the #3 WR position. Finneran is in jeopardy, I believe, to not make the roster.

3. Bobby Petrino and staff mean business

Players were hit with large amounts of information and though perfection wasn't expected, it was demanded. It did not matter who the player was, coaches praised them when they did well and got on them when they messed up.

"We're hands-on coaches and we get after it," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said. "That's kind of the way we do things and I think guys are beginning to understand we're not going to back off. It's what you can expect and expect it every day and that's what's going to get us to where we want to go."

Analysis: A much needed change up from the Jim Mora regime, I believe.

4. Jimmy Williams' switch to safety will take time

Williams has plenty of work to do after being moved from cornerback two weeks ago. Though free safety appears to be a better fit, according to defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, Williams was hesitant at times and wasn't in the proper spots as a result. Williams also has to learn the calls and checks. He made some mistakes but Williams also showed a lot of positive signs.

Analysis: If he figures it out, he will be a dominant NFL safety I believe. It fits his skill set perfectly. I have always felt that way. Last year I thought it was a mistake to take him, with intentions for him to play at corner that is.

5. Veterans not going out easily

Although rookies Jamaal Anderson, Chris Houston and Justin Blalock are projected starters and Williams is supposed to take over at free safety, they're going to have to earn it. Chauncey Davis appears to have no plans to step aside for Anderson, the first-round draft pick, at defensive end. Veteran free-agent signee Lewis Sanders worked as the starting right cornerback and did what was asked. Houston was impressive, though. Toniu Fonoti rotated with Blalock at left guard trying revive his once promising career. Chris Crocker struggled in deep coverage at free safety last season but he appeared to be on a mission to be a better player, despite recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Analysis: This kind of information always comes out, likely to inspire the rookies to continue to press. In reality, I do not believe that Chauncey Davis, Toniu Fonoti, or Lewis Sanders, will be starting for this team.

iloxygenil
05-13-2007, 08:40 PM
WOOOHOOO! I love to hear about competition...I also love to hear that Chauncey isn't moving aside easily, I think he's going to be a great rotation guy. I mean we all know you don't draft a guy #8 and not play him, but if JA goes down with injuries Chauncey is good as a fill in, and even if it's a short term starter, I love it. Davis in a rotation is fantastic, he just needs that one signature pass rush move.

DraftMichaelHuff
05-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Man look at the pic of Jerious on AF.com pic #8 i think it is. He is jacked! compared to last year anyway, and good to see the dreads are getting longer. His running style and new physique kinda, for some reason reminds me of Adrian Peterson more so than any other NFL RB. That is of course with slightly less power and more agility.

DraftMichaelHuff
05-14-2007, 01:46 AM
In other news i think NT, Anthony Bryant's calves weigh more than me

iloxygenil
05-14-2007, 09:06 AM
LOL, yeah Bryant is a big pickup for us I think. He's still a developmental player but I think he'll be able to come in and play a good bit.

Shiver
05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Falcons released DT Anthony Bryant...

iloxygenil
05-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Well...I couldn't have been more wrong =( That's sad...guess he wasn't able to move like those people said he was...

scar988
05-15-2007, 12:05 AM
wow. the team looks a lot more muscular this year. Jerious could still stand to gain another 10 pounds in leg muscle though..

iloxygenil
05-15-2007, 12:27 AM
For Sure Scar

reese
05-15-2007, 01:16 AM
hey georgia fan here....any news on how shockley looks

iloxygenil
05-15-2007, 10:16 AM
They are saying that he's changed his mechanics quite a bit, and that he's getting the ball out of his hands a lot quicker. That's the only stuff I've heard.

DraftMichaelHuff
05-16-2007, 06:02 AM
look at those cannons on Chris Houston, if he is only 185lbs as reported i will personally pay for tickets and fly from Sydney to Atlanta in the suit Jamaal Anderson wore to the press conference. Then i will show up wearing #100 for the falcons OTA's when they start. No way he is equal to or less than 185lbs

iloxygenil
05-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Haha...he's not even 5'10 though...and arms don't weigh that much...even cannons like his...lol.

Geo
05-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Analysis: As I have previously said, I truly expect Laurent Robinson to win the #3 WR position. Finneran is in jeopardy, I believe, to not make the roster.
Is that more an indictment of Roddy White or unabashed anticipation for Robinson? I think both White and Michael Jenkins will benefit from Joe Horn's veteran presence, I would expect White to improve in his craft as a third-year player (he was drafted in 2005 right?) as Jenkins did last year imo.

The fact that the Falcons spent two consecutive 1st round picks at WR gets a lot of pub, but it's been overlooked that they've need to time to groom and develop like just about any other player at the position. The problem for the Falcons was that they didn't have anyone more talented with more experience other than maybe Peerless Price, who couldn't/can't carry the load of a receiving corps on his own.

There really hasn't been a great crop of free agent wide receivers in the last few years, leaving those present to be overpaid by and large (Price, Randle El, etcetera) because of it. The best that comes to mind is Muhsin Muhammed, who was signed to a considerable contract by the Bears. Neither Deion Branch nor Reggie Wayne reached free agency, unsurprisingly.

That said, I really like the pick-up of Joe Horn by the Falcons this year. The contribution he can bring on the field and in the locker room is worth gambling against his durability concerns.

Shiver
05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
A little of both, actually. Mostly because I am really high on Laurent Robinson. Apparently Hue Jackson (OC) and Paul Petrino (WRC) were enamored with him. So much so, they lobbied hard enough to convince Rich McKay to take him over Michael Bush. Roddy White showed a lot of promise as a rookie, but he definitely regressed last year. He is currently the incumbent, however; he needs to really step up to retain his #3 position.