1)Pats-11-5
2)Jets-9-7
3)Bills-7-9
4)Dolphins-7-9

Discuss.

remix 6
05-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Patriots are the beasts of the east.

i dont see any AFC East secondary stopping us. Can Dyson-Revis cover Moss-Stallworth? How about McGee and whoever? How about Jason Allen(either of em) ?

Nope

Add in Ben Watson whos 1 of the fastest TEs behind Davis. Throw in Wes Welker who will get underneath looks. Throw in Chad Jackson if he ever learns the playbook and gets healthy..Caldwell who had some big games last year and Gaffney who shined in playoffs

Maroney will tear it up without the 8 men in box like last year

i think we have the fastest offense
Maroney - breakaway speed..tremendous accel.
Moss - ran a 4.28 recently and people know his speed..he said expect things you've never seen

Stallworth - His 40 varied but no denying hes 1 of the premier deep threats in NFL..great speed

Watson - ran a 4.42 ..hes a freak and had a good year last year while being double covered

Jackson - get healthy/learn playbook and hes got the speed aswell

thats a legit 4.45 and under for all of them

of course..success cant be measured by speed..so i'll be back when we own

PoopSandwich
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Now it's our turn.

1)Pats-11-5
2)Jets-9-7
3)Bills-7-9
4)Dolphins-7-9

Discuss.

Bills will finish lower than the Dolphins, possibly the worst team in the NFL.

SuperMcGee
05-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Schobel is going to simultaneously tackle and injure Brady and Moss during an end around.
I'd like to add some serious analysis but I'm pressed for time. Bills can contend for the #2 spot. I feel like being a homer this season, and believing every word of it. We can put together something good here. I'm looking at the DT and CB to step up, and the offense to click. The latter I don't see as much of a problem.

SuperMcGee
05-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Bills will finish lower than the Dolphins, possibly the worst team in the NFL.

Explain, por favor. I just don't see enough weaknesses that put as possibly the worst team in the league.

PoopSandwich
05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Explain, por favor. I just don't see enough weaknesses that put as possibly the worst team in the league.

I'm not saying they WILL be the worst team in the league, I just have a gut feeling.

Their team is soooo young, they lost a few veterans in the offseason and replaced them with rookies, if Losman has a bad year or gets hurt, it's over for them in my opinion.

McGahee > Lynch
Spikes > Poz
Clements > ????

Like I said, its just a gut feeling, but I really think their losses is going to really hurt them.

Shiver
05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm not saying they WILL be the worst team in the league, I just have a gut feeling.

Their team is soooo young, they lost a few veterans in the offseason and replaced them with rookies, if Losman has a bad year or gets hurt, it's over for them in my opinion.

McGahee > Lynch
Spikes > Poz
Clements > ????

Like I said, its just a gut feeling, but I really think their losses is going to really hurt them.

I'll disagree with that. McGahee is more hype than substance, in fact, he's been decidedly average. Marshawn Lynch will be the O.R.O.T.Y in my opinion, because he is the perfect fit for Steve Fairchild's offense. Also I might add that Takeo Spikes is not the same player he used to be, pre-Achilles injury that is. It would not surprise me to see Posluszny come in and produce from the get go.

ncstateviking
05-11-2007, 08:09 PM
jets 10-6
pats 10-6
dolphins 7-9
bills 5-11

this pats team intrigues me. they have more talent than ive ever seen them with which is scary. That also means they are not the typical pats team. IDK. I can see them being very up and down this year while the jets are going to be very consistent. the dolphins and bills will both be a joke.

remix 6
05-11-2007, 08:11 PM
jets 10-6
pats 10-6
dolphins 7-9
bills 5-11

this pats team intrigues me. they have more talent than ive ever seen them with which is scary. That also means they are not the typical pats team. IDK. I can see them being very up and down this year while the jets are going to be very consistent. the dolphins and bills will both be a joke.

hows it not a typical pats team? we added 3 new WRs to the worst WR core last year?

ncstateviking
05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
you guys brought in high priced mercenaries and wont pay to keep your own. idk...

Iamcanadian
05-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Basically, the AFC East has the toughest schedule in the NFL and that always translates to 1 winning team and 1 playoff team.
New England will win the division until Brady retires or at least slows down with age, so they will be in the playoffs but won't win as many games as people(their fans expect) due to the hardness of their schedule.

The Jets will finish 2nd, there is nobody who can mount a challange. Buffalo is too poor a franchise to afford to keep their star players and pretty well use the draft to replace the players they lose through FA, they therefore never get much of an opportunity to draft players for the positions they were weak at before the FA's added to their woes. They are always treading water due to financial limitations.

Miami will be last and could end up with the #1 pick. Saban deserted this franchise when he realized how badly he blundered up the QB position. This team has absolutely no chance and I even like the Ginn pick but where's the meat at QB.

Don Vito
05-12-2007, 11:24 AM
We really have never paid to keep our own older guys and we usually try to keep our young stars (Samuel), and the additions are nothing that really hasn't been done before. Plus when you consider that we didn't give much at all, the additions aren't really a sign that the franchise is changing. The most we gave up for anyone was a 2nd rounder, which we have done in the past (Corey Dillon)

AlexDown
05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Patriots may be stacked on paper, but I am not ready to "Crown their ass" yet. People said the same thing about the Dolphins last year around this time. They really didn't have that great of a draft either; regardless of how that will impact them this year.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-12-2007, 12:06 PM
i dont see any AFC East secondary stopping us. Can Dyson-Revis cover Moss-Stallworth? How about McGee and whoever? How about Jason Allen(either of em) ?
Nope
Moss likes to jog on his routes and he drops alot of balls.hes overated.Stalllworth on the other hand is a problem.

Space Ghost
05-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Woooooot!!!! AFC EAST FTW!!!

Record Predictions:

Pats: 15-1 5-1
Jets: 8-8 4-2
Bills: 6-10 2-4
Dolphins: 6-10 1-5

The Patriots are going to be able to walk through the year with a guaranteed playoff spot as long as Tom Brady has function of his throwing arm for sixteen games. They brought in four new veteran receivers to go along with Jabar Gafney, Reche Caldwell and Chad Jackson. They are stacked at receiver. Then they have Maroney and Kevin Faulk who will handle most of the running back duties. They also have some guys who can run if called upon in Heath Evans and Sammy Morris who can also play fullback. They are still deep at tight-end even after losing Daniel Graham. They have David Thomas who looked good late last year, Ben Watson who is still waiting to breakout, Kyle Brady to block and Garrett Mills who can contribute as an H-Back if he can get on the field. The offensive line will be the same except for the right tackle spot probably because I don't know if O'Callaghan fits what they want to do up front. Their offense is set to put up some big points this year.

On defense they added Adalius Thomas to their linebacker core. They also retained their best defensive back and he will probably end up playing for them no matter what all the rumors are. They have veteran leadership in the linebackers with Thomas, Vrabel, Colvin and Bruschi. Up front they can just dominate with Wilfork in the middle and Warren and Seymour outside. Add in the depth they have, especially with Jarvis Green and they are looking great. The Secondary isn't as good as the front seven, but it is still very good when healthy. Meriweather or Wilson will start either free safety or handle the third corner back spot. Then they have Rodney Harrison for intimidation factor. They also have Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs to play corner for them. They have a defense to prevent anyone without an equally incredible offense to stay with them.

The Jets improved their team a lot from last year, but they had a ridiculously easy second half schedule last year that really helped them. The team is going in the right direction, but I can't see them equaling their win total from last year. They have Chad Pennington who might be primed for his best season ever coming into it from his first healthy off season. They added Thomas Jones to take over most of the carries on offense. They also have the explosive Leon Washington who will have less, but likely better opportunities to run with the ball now. Their receivers aren't great, but damn, I like them. Coles and Cotchery are just great football players with great route running ability, great hands and high football IQs. Behind them they have some depth, but not great. Just McCareins can be good sometimes, but awful at others. They have Tim Dwight and Brad Smith who are explosive play makers with the ball in their hands. They also added a kid who has some potential in the draft when they picked Chansi Stuckey of Clemson who I really liked. Their tight-ends aren't all-pro, but Chris Baker can get it done. This offense isn't going to lose any games for the Jets, but it won't keep up with the Patriots.

The defense isn't looking too different in terms of players added outside of the draft. They made some very good picks though with their two first selections. The defensive front still isn't very good. Shaun Ellis is a great player and played well last year, but they still don't have an ideal nose tackle or another defensive end that looks like they are worthy of starting. They have a tonne of guys who will be fighting for roster spots there though and it will be interesting to see if Andre Wadsworth and his robotic knee can make it. The linebackers are still the same, but they added David Harris who I think will be an elite inside linebacker for any team running a 34 defense. It makes me wonder if Jonathan Vilma will see a reduced roll or if Eric Barton will become a backup. Victor Hobson and Bryan Thomas played well as outside linebackers for them last year and they should be able to play as well or better with more experience in the new defense. They have some depth as well. I'm really interested in seeing what happens in the middle though. The defensive backfield is still pretty good. Kerry Rhodes was lights out last season for the Jets. They added Darrelle Revis in the draft and was an excellent selection. David Barrett and Kevin Dyson are both good as well and Barrett may be much better suited for a nickel back role. It also allows the team to use Justin Miller less on defense and keep him fresher for returns. I guess Erik Coleman will start at free safety again, and while I don't like him he doesn't hurt the team, he isn't a great player though and is more of a stop-gap.

The Bills did a lot this off season, but I don't think they improved as a team. They did set them selves up well for the future, but this won't be their year. The offense is going to look a lot different up front. Jason Peters will keep his left tackle spot and Melvin Fowler should retain his spot in the middle of the line. Derrick Dockery (hopefully his contract has a little thing in it that says he will lose a bunch of money for every false start) will take over the left guard spot and then the right side will probably end up being Duke Preston at guard and Langston Walker at tackle (terrible signing, I am still smashing my skull against the wall). JP Losman remains the starting quarterback for the Bills, Craig Nall and Trent Edwards will be his backups. That is some good depth. The Bills lost Willis McGahee who wanted to leave and we wanted him gone. We picked up Marshawn Lynch with our first pick in the draft to replace him and Chris Henry in the fourth round to be his backup along with the A-Train, Anthony Thomas. Now we have some depth at running back after the draft and I have a feeling that Lynch will end up being the obvious offensive player of the year because he will probably see the ball more than any other rookie. Our receivers are the same, Lee Evans will still be incredible and the three number two receivers we have will all contribute (Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed and Peerless Price). We have Robert Royal who will start at tight-end and then we have Kevin Everett and Brad Cieslak behind him, both can catch and block. The offense has some big play potential if the offensive line can hold up and this should be another step forward for the offense.

The defense really down graded unlike the offense unfortunately. It did get younger though. Up front we are about the same, plus the addition of Darwin Walker who is a good fit for the defense. Aaron Schobel, Tony Hargrove, Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay will all be pressuring from the outside and they make for one of if not the best four man defensive end rotation in the league. Inside we have Larry Tripplett, Darwin Walker, Kyle Williams, Tim Anderson and John McCargo who will all probably see time on the field to find out who we will keep long term. I don't have much faith in these guys unfortunately. Hopefully McCargo can show the world he wasn't a brutal reach last year, even though I think he was. The defensive backfield is really going to have to rely on excellent safety play from two young guys. Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner are both fantastic young players and may one day become a premier safety tandem in the league if Ko can be more consistent, but they won't mask the fact that our corners are terrible right now. We have Terrence McGee and probably Ashton Youboty starting for us next year. I know you don't need great corners in our defense, but come on, these guys are young and McGee doesn't even really fit the defense anyways. I really hope that for the teams sake that Youboty can become the next Ronde Barber or something. The linebackers got much younger this off season, and in my opinion, better even though they lost two fantastic players in London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes. Fletcher is great if you want a guy to get tackles five yards away from the line and Spikes just isn't what he used to be anymore. Angelo Crowell will finally get some much deserved credit with more exposure without those guys and he will either start WILL or MIKE for us. We traded up for Paul Posluszny in round two and that was the best draft decision Levy has made so far, I think. He is a great player and really fits what our team is looking for and he will start where Crowell doesn't. I would prefer Puz inside and Crowell outside. Then we have the very athletic and dynamic Keith Ellison who surprised a lot of people last year with his play. He is undersized, but he can still play the SAM role for us and was actually better there than at WILL last year when players were injured. We don't have a lot of depth really, but I really want to see what Coy Wire can do for us with his switch to linebacker. He is a fantastic special teamer, but I think he could develop into a solid passing down linebacker for us. The defense didn't improve and not adding a corner might come back to haunt the Bills, and probably will often this season, especially twice against the Patriots. We are going to have to rely on the offense for field position and as always our incredible special teams run by the genius, Bobby April.

The Miami Dolphins are a huge question mark for everybody right now. Their offense is a huge question mark more specifically. They are going in to the season with Daunte Culpepper as their starter probably, but maybe John Beck if he isn't healthy. Running back is the only strong part of this offense I think with Ronnie Brown leading the way, but there isn't a lot of depth for him to take some plays off until the team knows what they are getting out of Lorenzo Booker. The receivers look solid, but that means nothing if they have a hobbled physically and mentally quarterback in Culpepper or a young one in Beck with a patch work offensive line. Chris Chambers is always a weird guy on the field, you never know what to expect. Marty Booker is a bit of an enigma because he is really inconsistent on the field and seems to only play well if he is matched up against an inferior talent. Ted Ginn Jr. was an odd selection because I thought that they had replaced Wes Welker with Az Hakim. They also have Derek Hagan who was terribly inconsistent as far as his hands went last year. They also ditched Randy McMichael in what I hope was because of the salary cap. All they have now is David Martin, a third stringer from Green Bay and some project, inexperienced guys. The offensive line is going to be an issue and thats all I'm going to say about that.

The defense up front will still dominate for the Phins thankfully. Jason Taylor will put pressure on all day long and other pass rushers will help mask the terrible secondary. The defense needs to get younger though. They are still going to keep this team competitive in some games. They have great chemistry up front. The linebackers will be good again with Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder, hopefully Joey Porter can help out as well in their hybrid defense, I just hope he doesn't have to cover anybody. The secondary, well that is just not worth talking about really because the pass rush is what keeps those guys alive. This team is going to be terrible in a couple years if they can't find some consistency on offense and some talented youth on defense.

BufFan71
05-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Patriots- 12-4
Jets- 9-7
Bills- 8-8
Dolphins- 3-13

Ace
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Patriots- 12-4
Jets- 9-7
Bills- 8-8
Dolphins- 3-13

3-13?

ROFLMAO

BlindSite
05-13-2007, 07:11 PM
I like the BIlls more than the Jets actually. Just a feeling and my man love for Losman.

art vandelay
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I'll go out and say the Bills are no worse than an 8-8 team.

bored of education
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Can moss bringing back his A game or even B game. I haven't seen either in 3 years. Can Stallworth not tweak a hammy every two minutes. NO IF this or thats, these guys havent done jack in the last year.

bored of education
05-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Patriots - 10-6
Bills 10-6
Jets 9-7
Miami- 6-10

Jay
05-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Patriots may be stacked on paper, but I am not ready to "Crown their ass" yet. People said the same thing about the Dolphins last year around this time. They really didn't have that great of a draft either; regardless of how that will impact them this year.

The Dolphins weren't 12-4 and a few plays from the Super Bowl the previous year, and weren't three time Super Bowl champions in recent history either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say your analogy doesn't work...

AlexDown
05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
The Dolphins weren't 12-4 and a few plays from the Super Bowl the previous year, and weren't three time Super Bowl champions in recent history either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say your analogy doesn't work...

Most times superbowl preseason picks aren't even close. People "experts" from magazines such as SI or ESPN picked last years superbowl match up to be the Dolphins and the Panthers. Before that I am pretty sure ESPN said it would be a Patriots and Eagles repeat.

Speculating these kind of things is fine. Making predictions at this point in the year is fine also. I'm just saying regardless of past history these few year, and being a Jets fan, I think they might not even win the AFC East.

amazingdonnie
05-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Pats: 15-1
Jets: 9-7
Dolphins: 6-10
Bills: 5-11

The only game I see the pats losing is the colts matchup or the early chargers grudge match. There is just simply too much talent and with such great coaching, the only team that will beat the pats, is their own.

The Jets are a solid team.... But all they can hope for is a wildcard at best, they don't have the talent to make a deep run, and Bellichick still outcoaches the Mangenius for now.

The Dolphins, I don't know what to make of them, I think they will be sub-par, and lose a lot of games they could win. The lack of a QB is going to hurt these guys a lot. If injuries stack up, ouch these guys are a top 5 draft pick winner.

The Bills are in complete rebuilding mode. They know this and anyone with half a brain does too. They are probably aiming for a Top 15 draft pick at best this year. Don't expect anything more than 7 wins, which would be a great accomplishment for them in my mind.

amazingdonnie
05-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Most times superbowl preseason picks aren't even close. People "experts" from magazines such as SI or ESPN picked last years superbowl match up to be the Dolphins and the Panthers. Before that I am pretty sure ESPN said it would be a Patriots and Eagles repeat.

Thats stupid. A lot of people picked the Colts preseason to win the superbowl. Why? They are extremely talented, and well coached. A lot of people thought they were due. Especially with the pats dynasty having a blip in the radar. Most preseason AFC picks I saw were Indy or San Diego.

AlexDown
05-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I think Pennington is going to have a really good season if he can healthy. The Jets also now at least on paper have a run game, something that was absent last year (many occasions the Jets resorted to QB sneaking with Pennington to get 3 yards, not even kidding).

SuperMcGee
05-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Pats: 15-1
Jets: 9-7
Dolphins: 6-10
Bills: 5-11

The only game I see the pats losing is the colts matchup or the early chargers grudge match. There is just simply too much talent and with such great coaching, the only team that will beat the pats, is their own.

The Jets are a solid team.... But all they can hope for is a wildcard at best, they don't have the talent to make a deep run, and Bellichick still outcoaches the Mangenius for now.

The Dolphins, I don't know what to make of them, I think they will be sub-par, and lose a lot of games they could win. The lack of a QB is going to hurt these guys a lot. If injuries stack up, ouch these guys are a top 5 draft pick winner.

The Bills are in complete rebuilding mode. They know this and anyone with half a brain does too. They are probably aiming for a Top 15 draft pick at best this year. Don't expect anything more than 7 wins, which would be a great accomplishment for them in my mind.

Due to injuries and underperforming last year, our RB and LB, seen as two of our biggest losses, can actually be better this year. Even losing Nate, our pass defense was top 10 last year and might not be as troubled as some think (not saying I don't have my worries there). While we'll have some new young starters, I don't think we should regress really. Losman and the offense could have a fine year. Our coaches are nothing to overlook either, they can certainly make some things happen. I don't see us as the cellar team, or to be discounted from the 2nd spot.

AlexDown
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Who is going to be the starting QB for the Dolphins?

Bengals1690
05-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Who is going to be the starting QB for the Dolphins?

Bring on the Cleo era!! woot!

is daunte healthy yet? Are they getting trent green? It all depends on these questions

reese
05-17-2007, 12:40 AM
i hope we dont get trent green...he is old and while i kno for the past few years he has put up some of the best numbers in the league, he didnt play very well after his injury last year. id rather take my chance with a 30 y/o dante then a 30 y/o trent

SuperMcGee
06-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Severe bumpage AFCE fans!

I feel like knowing how the division rivals feel about Bills players in comparison to others in the division. Try to avoid answering the ones that involve players from your team, or at least answering obnoxiously.

Jason Peters or D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Angelo Crowell or Channing Crowder
Lee Evans or Randy Moss
Terrence McGee or Justin Miller (KR)
JP Losman or Chad Pennington
Craig Nall or Tom Brady
Terrence McGee or Will Allen
Rian Lindell or Mike Nugent

toonsterwu
06-05-2007, 04:35 AM
My AFC East guesses as of now:

1. New England Patriots

If they aren't a playoff team, I think everyone will be stunned, considering all the positive vibes coming out of there. If they aren't an elite team, I think a lot of people will be stunned. This certainly isn't a "perfect" squad by any means, but they are real, real good. Instead of accentuating the positives, let's focus on the concerns.

Offensively, will they muster a strong enough running game? They did lose Dillon, who for all his faults, was dependable. Can Laurence Maroney pick up the slack? Can the backups form a capable unit? I wouldn't be surprised if Justise Hairston ends up playing a bigger role than people suspect. How's the OL, though? It's a very dependable unit, but it suffered lapses at times last year. I expect to see a lot of passing to the TE's, and they will be critical. Why? With all the downfield potential now, they may have a lot of opportunities across the middle. Can Ben Watson be consistent? Can David Thomas improve? Finally, there's the whole Randy Moss and behavior thing.

Defensively, I think one thing that gets little pub is that DL injuries in recent years have caused a lot of stress of the unit. The unfortunate passing of Marquise Hill means others have opportunities, and the Pats need them to step up. The LB unit should be real solid, although depth is still a concern, along with how they will cover for Bruschi's declining abilities. I really like that Rogers kid. The improvement of James Sanders and the addition of Brandon Meriweather address concerns at safety. They know how to use their CB talent, and the return of a guy like Randall Guy should help.

All in all, this wasn't meant to knock them. There are concerns, though.

2. New York Jets

Unfortunately, big brother in New England made it so that the Jets offseason seemed tame. The reality is, they had themselves a very solid offseason, and should, under Mangini, contend for a playoff spot again. The right side of the offensive line still worries me a bit for some reason, and their TE options aren't dynamic enough. That said, the addition of Jones solidifies the run game and offers Chad Pennington a lot more options. The key may be the continued development of Cotchery.

Defensively, they are probably another offseason away from having better fits. That said, Mangini is a good schemer. Adding Revis and Harris addresses two key areas, and if they develop, that'll be big. The secondary could be strong, and Harris could help VIlma out a lot, depending on his growth. I'm still not in love wiht the DL rotation, but it is capable-solid, and I still think they lack a strong enough pass rush in terms of individual talent rather than scheming.

That said, this is a good Jets squad, and they should be in the push for a playoff spot.

3. Buffalo Bills

I love Marshawn Lynch, and as I thought pre-draft, I think he will be an excellent fit for that offense. While they overspent on their OL, their OL should be better. I am a bit concerned about the receiving options, as I don't see that TE to offer a safety valve, and I am not sold on the WR options to free up Evans. Defensively, another year in the system in of itself should help a lot. The secondary should get better, and the LB talent should be solid. There's solid depth, it seems. Whether or not Losman continues to improve may determine how many steps they take.

All in all, this team is headed in the right direction, but is in a tough division. It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up 2nd, but in all likelihood, they are probably a year away from a serious playoff push.

4. Miami Dolphins

As time passed, I grew more comfortable with their draft. I didn't have an issue with them passing on Quinn, just wasn't a big fan of the Ginn Jr. pick. As for the upcoming campaign, I'm very curious about that OL. Seems to be question mark on paper. Will David Martin and the other TE's provide a consistent target? Will Hagan or Ginn Jr. step up at WR to open up the offense? Can Ronnie Brown finally be the man? How will the mesh of young and old DL talent work? Will enough guys step up and will the old DL have enough stamina? The secondary looks alright. I like Cameron, so I think they are headed in the right direction, but the AFC East is once again one of the stronger divisions and it may take a year or two to work up the charts.

luckyjackaubrey
06-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I can't see where you get the theme of injuries on the DL for the Pats from. Seymour hurt his elbow and missed no time. Warren played every game and Wilfork played in 13. that is 3 games lost total. On the bench Jarvis Green in arguably the best DE in the league not starting and Mike Wright is a great backup, special teams contributor. Marquise Hill (rest his soul) was active for 4 games the whole season and although I don't have the numbers at my disposal I almost surley recall that the number was no higher last year. He was a non-contributor. High draft pick, lots of promise, no fruition.

The d-line is not an issue in NE.

toonsterwu
06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I can't see where you get the theme of injuries on the DL for the Pats from. Seymour hurt his elbow and missed no time. Warren played every game and Wilfork played in 13. that is 3 games lost total. On the bench Jarvis Green in arguably the best DE in the league not starting and Mike Wright is a great backup, special teams contributor. Marquise Hill (rest his soul) was active for 4 games the whole season and although I don't have the numbers at my disposal I almost surley recall that the number was no higher last year. He was a non-contributor. High draft pick, lots of promise, no fruition.

The d-line is not an issue in NE.

Are you telling me that you are comfortable with the depth of the DL, arguably the most critical aspect in the 3-4, if, say, Richard Seymour or Ty Warren goes down? Scheming may be able to cover statistically, but, for example, when Seymour was banged up in 2005, I think most acknowledged that the line struggled at times. Now, Ty Warren took a step forward last year, and that makes it a bigger threat, but if I'm the Pats, I'd be somewhat worried if I one of my starting ends went down, increasing the PT for depth guys, whether it be Mike Wright, Kareem Brown, or whoever fills out the chart.

AlexDown
06-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey toonsterwu. With arguably an addition of a run game for the Jets, what kind of numbers do you see Pennington putting up this year? You think he will start all 16 games?

luckyjackaubrey
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
It is the NFL. I don't get to have a bevy of all-pro bench guys. If I lose one of those guys I am going to suffer a drop in play. Injuries happen and I don't expect to have quality depth at every spot. You simply can't afford it with the cap.

You can play "what if ?", with every team at every position can't you ? Am I worried if Brady takes a hit like Trent Green and leaves me with Matt Cassel or Vinny ? Hell yes !

If your point is that Marquise Hill (again, Rest in peace) was viewed by the general NFLDC fan as an asset, you aren't a regular follower of the team. HE didn't sniff the field in his time here. Great guy, came out early and never developed to the point of warranting any playing time - And there was opportunity.

They talked to Sam Adams last week, but he either wanted more $$ or more playing time than the Pats can put on the table. In today's NFL you don't have a deep bench if you have a high quality front line starter. It doesn't make financial sense. If you do have an example , I bet that team would be better served using the $$ to shore up a spot that is weak all-around.

toonsterwu
06-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey toonsterwu. With arguably an addition of a run game for the Jets, what kind of numbers do you see Pennington putting up this year? You think he will start all 16 games?

I don't know if he'll start 16 games. I mean ... I hope he can, but with his history ... you are hoping that the OL can continue to get better and lessen the hits he takes. Because if Chad's out, this team would be waiting on 08 in all likelihood.

But if Chad is healthy, I think he could put up big numbers. You look at the last time that Chad had a lead back, and he was having a huge year (2004). Thomas Jones allows him to play action and for it to become a legitimate threat. If he can be more consistent on the deep balls (and yeah, that's a big if), they could really incorporate a stronger vertical attack than they did last year, allowing for a more diversified offense. Add in the experience Leon Washington gained, and the RB depth is something to feel comfortable about.

toonsterwu
06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
It is the NFL. I don't get to have a bevy of all-pro bench guys. If I lose one of those guys I am going to suffer a drop in play. Injuries happen and I don't expect to have quality depth at every spot. You simply can't afford it with the cap.

You can play "what if ?", with every team at every position can't you ? Am I worried if Brady takes a hit like Trent Green and leaves me with Matt Cassel or Vinny ? Hell yes !

If your point is that Marquise Hill (again, Rest in peace) was viewed by the general NFLDC fan as an asset, you aren't a regular follower of the team. HE didn't sniff the field in his time here. Great guy, came out early and never developed to the point of warranting any playing time - And there was opportunity.

They talked to Sam Adams last week, but he either wanted more $$ or more playing time than the Pats can put on the table. In today's NFL you don't have a deep bench if you have a high quality front line starter. It doesn't make financial sense. If you do have an example , I bet that team would be better served using the $$ to shore up a spot that is weak all-around.

Not sure how long you've been on the boards, but yes, I have followed the Pats for a long time, due to living in Boston for awhile.

It's got nothing to do with Marquise Hill, although there were positive improvements on him last year. It was easy to forget how young he was, and the reports indicated he was taking the right steps. RIP.

But no, it's got nothing to do with Marquise Hill. It has more to do with the general depth, as the 3-4 is keyed off the line. And I'm not sure if you read my post anyways - I said I thought the Pats would be an elite team in the NFL, and I only have 1 team as an elite team in the NFL at this moment in time.

But, there's been moments in the last two years when you watch the Pats games, even if they were statistically covered, where the Pats DL has struggled when injuries happened. And considering the decline in skills at the LB position, a lot of responsibility is put up there.

Again, I wonder if you read my first post though. I made it fairly clear that I was nitpicking and that I thought the Pats were an elite team in this league, and as of now, they are the only team that I feel is elite.

jkb528
06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Patriots 13-3
Jets 9-7
Bills 7-9
Dolphins 5-11

The Pats are obviously the cream of the crop in the division, if not the entire NFL, with all the talent they stockpiled in the offseason and if they dont win the division, I'll be shocked. The Jets improved during the offseason, but with the AFC East having a brutal schedule, I think that they might take a step back and may or may not make the playoffs. The Bills certainly got much younger, but they still have a few holes, especially defensively. I'll be interested to see how the offense play's in the second year of Fairchild's system, and if J.P. Losman continues to improve, they could challenge the Jets for #2 and perhaps make a playoff push next year. Again, the AFC East's tough schedule will probably keep Buffalo from finishing any better than 8-8. Miami really has too many uncertainties at this point to accurately try and predict. Trent Green? Daunte Culpepper? Cleo Lemon? Who knows...