05-11-2007, 09:08 PM
1. Washington Redskins - Sean Taylor SS, Laron Landry FS
2. New England Patriots - Rodney Harrison SS, Brandon Meriweather FS
3. Baltimore Ravens - Dawan Landry SS, Ed Reed FS
4. Oakland Raiders - Michael Huff SS, Stuart Schweigert FS
5. Dallas Cowboys - Roy Williams SS, Ken Hamlin FS

bored of education
05-11-2007, 09:09 PM
when was the last time Merriwether or Harrison played an entire season?

sodar21
05-11-2007, 09:20 PM
3 of those 5 tandems have never played with one another and the other two are only a year old.

Chucky
05-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Reed and Landry are definatly number 1. Sean JOnes and Brodney Pool are better than a bunch of those tandems.

Philliez01
05-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I also think that the following S tandem is perhaps one of the most underrated in the league (or can be depending on the latter):

Chris Hope - Michael Griffin (if he can really play to his potential)

Also, Bob Sanders - Antonie Bethea deserve a look!

Shiver
05-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I also think that the following S tandem is perhaps one of the most underrated in the league (or can be depending on the latter):

He's being tried at Corner first....

SeanTaylorRIP
05-11-2007, 09:29 PM

I don't like calling a tandem underrated when one of them hasn't even played yet and is playing corner this year. Dawan and Ed Reed no doubt are tops although ST and Landry have potential but shouldn't be on a list yet as well as many of these other tandems.

Philliez01
05-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't like calling a tandem underrated when one of them hasn't even played yet and is playing corner this year. Dawan and Ed Reed no doubt are tops although ST and Landry have potential but shouldn't be on a list yet as well as many of these other tandems.

Ah I didn't know of Griffin being tried at CB first. I did say "depending on the latter"! :)

T-RICH49
05-11-2007, 09:44 PM
look out for Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard this year.they might be in the discussion of top S tandems in a year or two

Shiver
05-11-2007, 10:00 PM
The Bills have potential, if Whitner and Simpson continue to mature.

senormysterioso
05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I would say Ed Reed and Dawan Landry are slam dunk number 1 as of right now Taylor and Landry could be great together but that remains to be seen, Troy Polomalu and anybody is second right now though.

BuckNaked
05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Why are you guys all putting up rookies on this. Try putting up some players who have played an NFL game in their career.

metafour
05-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Why is Oakland so high on your list? Huff had a disappointing year last year and I dont even know who Schweigart is.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Landry and Reed. They're the only presumed "elite" safety combo to actually prove it.

draftguru151
05-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Why is Oakland so high on your list? Huff had a disappointing year last year and I dont even know who Schweigart is.

Huff hardly disappointed last year. He didn't have a lot of big plays, but he was great in coverage. They shouldn't be on the list though.

Boston
05-11-2007, 11:13 PM
I hate when people make threads simply to praise there own teams.

Phrost
05-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Reed and Landry are definatly number 1. Sean JOnes and Brodney Pool are better than a bunch of those tandems.

100% percent agreed. Landry and Taylor are suspect in deep coverage and both look to hit.

Reed and the other Landry complement each other perfectly and are a member of the best D, so it goes to them.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
05-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Where are Lynch and Ferguson? #32 yeeeeeeeeeeee

Flyboy
05-11-2007, 11:21 PM
The Bills have potential, if Whitner and Simpson continue to mature.

Agreed. I think they have the potential to be the best tandem in the league, even better than the potential that Taylor/Landry has.

Obviously, this answer is Roman Harper & Josh Bullocks, though. DUH!

The Dynasty
05-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Not to be a Homer but Vikings are good with Sharper and Dwight Smith and even are Back ups arent bad with Doss and Tank Williams.

Mr. Stiller
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Anthony Smith and Troy Polamalu Please... at least #2 or #3.. I'll give you Reed and Landry for now, because Landry has proven more than Smith..

But Watch Smith this year.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Washington shouldnt be #1.Laron Landry hasnt played a down in the NFL yet.

fenikz
05-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Reed & Landry are the clear cut number 1

then its a toss up between alot of others

LitoSheppard
05-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Reed and Landry is crazy..

Eagles arn't to bad either :)
Considine put 20- lbs of muscle on for the SS role and Dawkins is the best in the leauge

Woody56
05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Kerry Rhodes and Erik Coleman deserve mention. Rhodes is close to elite and Coleman is above average.

Rob S
05-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Bills have a ton of potential...........Whitner and Simposon were both quite good.

America
05-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I like Rhodes and Coleman of the Jets a lot. Then Brodney Poole and Sean Jones are a good young tandem as well. I don't think you can include rookies in this. Huff and Shweigert(sp?) were solid last year, but probably not top 5. I'm interested to see how Terrence Holt works out in Arizona cause that would be a good group right there. Jared Page and Bernard Pollard could also be pretty good. Same with Whitner and Simpson in Buffalo. There are a lot of really good young safties, especially out of last year's class. Dawkins and Considine, Reed and Landry. Williams and Hamlin are great for the run, but I wouldn't like them teamed up against the pass. I like Archuleta and Mike Brown together.

cunningham06
05-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Glen Earl and CC Brown for sure, now those two are intimidating.

Rob S
05-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Adam Archuletta flat out sucks.....

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Glen Earl and CC Brown for sure, now those two are intimidating.

lol, that was great.

Jay
05-12-2007, 07:18 AM
When healthy, it doesn't get much better than Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson. Rodney Harrison is easily a top five safety if he is healthy. That's turning into a big if, unfortunately. Take from this what you will, because it could be my case in point, but it could also be completely unrelated: both Rodney and Eugene have been hurt for the better parts of the last two seasons, two seasons in which the Pats lost in the playoffs. The two years prior? They won the Super Bowl. IN those Super Bowl games, the first one, the Pats are up big, Rodney breaks his arm, Eugene Wilson pulls a hammy, both miss some of the third and the entire fourth quarter, Panthers come back and tie it, Pats win on a FG. The next year, Wilson gets hurt again, Eagles come back late. Coincidence? Maybe. But they were obviously doing something very right on the biggest stage of them all.

I think Sean Taylor and Laron Landry will be the best safety duo in the league this year, though, and I don't think it will even be close...

Go_Eagles77
05-12-2007, 08:43 AM
I think the saints' tandem has potential, but it probably goes to the Ravens.

Jimmy
05-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Where are Lynch and Ferguson? #32 yeeeeeeeeeeee

31... ferguson gets benched first week of the preseason for failing to catch (insert slow players name here) on a trick sweep play... and foxworth takes over.

Jimmy
05-12-2007, 09:06 AM
there is no question in my mind its the guys from baltimore... dawan landry is underrated but rising on peoples radars, and reed is oen of the best in the game

i think oakland has a top 5 overall secondary however

tom
05-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Troy Polomalu and the other guy

iloxygenil
05-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey what about Chris Crocker (soon to be Jimmy Williams) / Lawyer Milloy! We're goin for that #32 spot pretty hot and heavy...then again...even though Lawyer isn't the player he once was, he's still too good to be part of the worst tandem in the league...someone has to be in worse shape...oh yeah...CAROLINA!

Paul
05-12-2007, 10:31 AM
The Jets duo of Rhodes and Coleman get my vote.

Bobo
05-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Every starting tandem in the league has been named in this thread already, right? Just making sure lol

EdReedUnstoppable
05-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Of course I enjoy the defensive backfield stylings of Ed Reed and Dawan Landry over all others.

However in the near future Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner will be an awesome tandem.

Space Ghost
05-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I love what the Bills have in their safeties. Donte Whitner is already a top ten strong safety in my opinion and could escalate to a top five guy in a couple of seasons (probably won't get a tonne of recognition unless he makes a bunch of picks because our corners are ****). Ko Simpson is still pretty raw and was good last year, not great, but he improved all the way through the year and I only saw him make one mistake on a deep ball all year where he ran under it and got beat deep. Once those guys learn the game that the coaches want to play they will be able to dominate I think and once they fill in their potential they will be a top five tandem, especially because right now Whitner is only 21 with a July birthday, the day before mine :D, and Simpson is 23 with a November birthday. A lot of time for them to play football without getting old.

Eagles own the NFC East
05-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Anthony Smith and Troy Polamalu Please... at least #2 or #3.. I'll give you Reed and Landry for now, because Landry has proven more than Smith..

But Watch Smith this year.

lol your not a homer.

Smith has shown potential, but that doesn't mean hes a proven solid NFL starter yet. They aren't top 10 IMO.

Achilles33
05-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Biggest homer ever. Harrison and Meriweather? I like Meriweather, but Harrison is a joke now.

Oh and #1 is definitly the Skins, Landry is a god, it doesn't matter if he hasn't played a snap.

remix 6
05-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Biggest homer ever. Harrison and Meriweather? I like Meriweather, but Harrison is a joke now.

Oh and #1 is definitly the Skins, Landry is a god, it doesn't matter if he hasn't played a snap.

i'll bet anything that Rodney still covers better than Roy

Staubach12
05-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Everyone on here is just advocating for their teams safeties. Well, let me bet the first to question my own. Briz5x had us at 5. I wouldn't put that there just yet. Williams will be able to recover better this year IMO because he's putting off some weight and gaining back some speed. Howver, he's still not the a top-10 coverage guy. It's a wait and see kind of thing. Maybe he'll be better, maybe he'll need more work. Hamlin is more versatile, and he's a ballhawk, but he's still not an elite coverage guy. He's great, don't get me wrong, but he's also a wait and see thing, too. So, yes the Cowboys have a good tandem as of now. I believe if Roy can gain his speed back, he can be a top-10 guy, but right now, there's not reason to put us up there. We all hope for the best, but nothing is as sure as many other safety tandems right now.

If I were to have to rank the safeties, I'd say Landry and Reed is definately 1. I hate to say it, but Taylor and Landry in Washington is #2, and I think it'll be the best soon. I believe strongly in Landry, and I think that in a year or two, he'll be the best. Taylor is great, too. One of the best. Well, two more teams that I think have big potential in a year or two a The Bills, and the Indianapolis Colts. The Bills have two up-and-comers that I loved coming out last year. That could be one heck of a tandem when both mature a bit more. The Colts have Bob Sanders, who is obviously a top-5 safety and Antione Bethea, who I really like.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I'll be a homer and say Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea are top 5. Bethea is my boi.

GB12
05-12-2007, 02:39 PM

:eek: Did you just call someone a homer? Take a look in the mirror buddy.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Huff hardly disappointed last year. He didn't have a lot of big plays, but he was great in coverage. They shouldn't be on the list though.

Especially considering that this year their safety positions is going to look like:

SS - Huff/Bing
FS - Schweigert/Huff

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Especially considering that this year their safety positions is going to look like:

SS - Huff/Bing
FS - Schweigert/Huff

Big is a LB now right, I even think his number is in the 50's.

SubNoize
05-12-2007, 02:53 PM
God I hope Bing is never the starting SS, it would be Gibson part 2. Only time I ever want Bing on the field is if he's stacked on the line, otherwise he'll get worked in coverage. Stu and Huff are top 15 but not top 5. Huff had a very solid year, but Stu is on the bubble, he misses a lot of tackles by taking horrible angles... Landry/Reed is def. tops and I think Sanders/Bethea is solid. Look out for Wilson/Holt this year also.

SubNoize
05-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Bing moved back to compete at safety as is # 29...

Paranoidmoonduck
05-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Big is a LB now right, I even think his number is in the 50's.

No, he got moved back to safety. People think it was a Kiffin move, but I think it could work. Even Derrick Gibson was effective last year when Ryan used him as a 4th linebacker, and I think Bing is a vastly better player in coverage.

bored of education
05-12-2007, 03:46 PM
When healthy, it doesn't get much better than Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson. Rodney Harrison is easily a top five safety if he is healthy. That's turning into a big if, unfortunately. Take from this what you will, because it could be my case in point, but it could also be completely unrelated: both Rodney and Eugene have been hurt for the better parts of the last two seasons, two seasons in which the Pats lost in the playoffs. The two years prior? They won the Super Bowl. IN those Super Bowl games, the first one, the Pats are up big, Rodney breaks his arm, Eugene Wilson pulls a hammy, both miss some of the third and the entire fourth quarter, Panthers come back and tie it, Pats win on a FG. The next year, Wilson gets hurt again, Eagles come back late. Coincidence? Maybe. But they were obviously doing something very right on the biggest stage of them all.

I think Sean Taylor and Laron Landry will be the best safety duo in the league this year, though, and I don't think it will even be close...

I wouldn't say it is turning into a big if. Rodney Harrison in the past two seasons has played 13 games. You have to be realistic, he is nowhere near the presence he was 3-10 years ago. He doesn't get many big straight on hits, mostly finishing off the pay type big hits then he goes nuts and gets his mouth going. He is a decent play maker in the box, not an out of box presence. Nowhere near the inthe box presence he was when he averaged 3-4 ints a season. He is a presence still, but no nearly the overall presence he once was.

Now saying IF HEALTHY, that alone says their is a slim chance he will be healty. He is 35, 2 seasons ending or damn near ending his year.

Eugene Wilson, played 4 games last year. Was pretyy useless those games. He started off two very solid years in his career. But has been deemed useless that last two.

Ended last year injured.

So thay tandem isin't even allowed to be in the top 10 discussion. both injured and haven't done much in the last year or two.

McBain
05-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Why is this place so super-obsessive about defensive backs? There's like 20 topics on safety's or corners a week.

remix 6
05-12-2007, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't say it is turning into a big if. Rodney Harrison in the past two seasons has played 13 games. You have to be realistic, he is nowhere near the presence he was 3-10 years ago. He doesn't get many big straight on hits, mostly finishing off the pay type big hits then he goes nuts and gets his mouth going. He is a decent play maker in the box, not an out of box presence. Nowhere near the inthe box presence he was when he averaged 3-4 ints a season. He is a presence still, but no nearly the overall presence he once was.

Now saying IF HEALTHY, that alone says their is a slim chance he will be healty. He is 35, 2 seasons ending or damn near ending his year.

Eugene Wilson, played 4 games last year. Was pretyy useless those games. He started off two very solid years in his career. But has been deemed useless that last two.

Ended last year injured.

So thay tandem isin't even allowed to be in the top 10 discussion. both injured and haven't done much in the last year or two.

i agree that Wilson-Harrison really isnt top 5

but saying Wilson was useless the 4 games he played is a no no. He made 2 huge stops for us i think against Bills both games..where McGahee broke free and Wilson was 1 on 1 and then chased him down the other time. He saved us a game possibly(1st one where we nearly lost)

I thought Wilson was getting back slowly to where he was first 2 seasons. 2 years ago everyone played bad but everyone got better @ end of season when they got adjusted to each other. Samuel-Wilson both played terriblly with the revolving doors at SS when Harrison went down.

bored of education
05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
True, Eugene wasn't terrible. But maybe it was the fact that he had to do more than accustomed too. I don't know. I thik that Merriwether kid will be something near special. Kid is grimey.

McBain
05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
True, Eugene wasn't terrible. But maybe it was the fact that he had to do more than accustomed too. I don't know. I thik that Merriwether kid will be something near special. Kid is grimey.

Dude, Grimey is dead.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b1/150px-Grime2.jpg

http://www.blatantees.com/icon-ripgrimey.gif

remix 6
05-12-2007, 04:05 PM

agreed. Coaches are already impressed with his quickness/speed aswell as back pedal and he was calling shots today at minicamp..which proves hes the leader in secondary and he knows how to line everyone up

Nitschke-Hawk
05-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I nominate whoever starts at safety for the Texans.

Achilles33
05-12-2007, 06:54 PM
:eek: Did you just call someone a homer? Take a look in the mirror buddy.

Nah, the Cowboys are that good.

jkpigskin
05-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Not to be a Homer but Vikings are good with Sharper and Dwight Smith and even are Back ups arent bad with Doss and Tank Williams.

thats some killer depth!

anyway, as it has already beeen said, dewan landry and ed reed both proved that they are an elite duo
as of right now, they are the best

BufFan71
05-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Buffalo Bills
Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson....give it two years max, and they will be the best safety tandem

KILLERSANTA
05-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Keith Davis and Pat Watkins

SeanTaylorRIP
05-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Buffalo Bills
Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson....give it two years max, and they will be the best safety tandem

2 Years max and they will be the best safety tandem, please bro. No doubt they will be good but that's a rediculous statement. Ed Reed and Dawan are the best atleast for the next 5 years, and IMO Sean Taylor and LaRon will be next in line to challenge Ed Reed and Dawan. Don't be surprised to see LaRon and Dawan in the pro bowl soon.

Phrost
05-13-2007, 06:28 PM
2 Years max and they will be the best safety tandem, please bro. No doubt they will be good but that's a rediculous statement. Ed Reed and Dawan are the best atleast for the next 5 years, and IMO Sean Taylor and LaRon will be next in line to challenge Ed Reed and Dawan. Don't be surprised to see LaRon and Dawan in the pro bowl soon.

I still can't believe the Redskins took another safety in the top 10...especially when they had bigger needs elsewhere. We know you are a LL and ST fan boy so quit posting the same ****.

Moses
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I still can't believe the Redskins took another safety in the top 10...especially when they had bigger needs elsewhere. We know you are a LL and ST fan boy so quit posting the same ****.

Landry was the BPA and they needed somebody to pair with Taylor. Not a bad pick by any means.

Dunta_23
05-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Im with the guys that said CC Brown and Glen Earl.....all joking aside I think it has to go to the Ravens pairing....and for potential....Id go with the Skins and Jets

skinzzfan25
05-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Do you know what a 46 defense is? Go read up on it. Landry was the BPA available for a 46 defense, like the Redskins, and the best defensive player in the draft. I see you going from thread to thread talking about things that you have no idea about. Go read up before you try to call somebody out, otherwise you look like an idiot.

Since your such a freakin GM yourself, what would you suggest the Redskins do in the draft? Anything else would have been a reach or a stupid move.

Chucky
05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Do you know what a 46 defense is? Go read up on it. Landry was the BPA available for a 46 defense, like the Redskins, and the best defensive player in the draft. I see you going from thread to thread talking about things that you have no idea about. Go read up before you try to call somebody out, otherwise you look like an idiot.

Since your such a freakin GM yourself, what would you suggest the Redskins do in the draft? Anything else would have been a reach or a stupid move.

I dont think the Redskins will ever have the right personell to succesfully run the 46. THey should set their sights on running a more realistic defence

skinzzfan25
05-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I dont think the Redskins will ever have the right personell to succesfully run the 46. THey should set their sights on running a more realistic defence

Well that's what GW has set up for us. Or at least it is very similar to it. It worked in 04 and 05, hopefully 06 was just lack of depth and injuries catching up to us.

EDIT:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/05/AR2007050500977.html

^^Read the last bit.

holtfan92
05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
OJ Atogwe and Corey Chavous :)

jth1331
05-13-2007, 10:15 PM
If I could, I'd stab this thread and make it die...

Jay
05-14-2007, 06:09 AM

Ended last year injured.

Rodney Harrison's two injuries have been freak injuries where guys landed on him funny. One was a guy essentially chop blocking him at the knees. If he had those injuries while he was covering a pattern or something like that, I'd be a little more worried. But I for one will never forget the player Rodney has been when he's been on the field during the 13 games the last two years, and all the other games before that.

They absolutely belong in the conversation, because they're the only tandem to win two Super Bowls. If the AFC Championship game had been played a week later, Rodney would have been able to play? Are you going to tell me that he wouldn't have made a difference? Rodney being on the field makes the Patriots defense much different. He is a field general and does a lot for that defense.

So I stand by my point that, when healthy, I'll take Harrison and Wilson every day of the week. I am not saying they are the best, because I have said that Washington will have the best safety combo moving forward, possibly the best one we ever see in our lifetimes if those two play together for a while. And that tandem may not be the only one that's better. But those two guys are fun as hell to watch, have won us two Super Bowls, and if they're healthy, I know they'll get the job done every time.

portermvp84
05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Keith Davis and Pat Watkins

I needed a good laugh.