PDA

View Full Version : Where does Mario Manningham rank in 07 and 08?

Phrost
05-11-2007, 10:55 PM
If you were to combine this past years WR draft class and this coming years, where would Mario Manningham sit?

Bengals1690
05-11-2007, 10:57 PM
3rd rounder...im not too high on the guy, but it might just be cause i like ohio state. he might have went higher though because every time was reaching for really fast guyd.

Phrost
05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
3rd rounder...im not too high on the guy, but it might just be cause i like ohio state. he might have went higher though because every time was reaching for really fast guyd.

Some have him ranked as a top 15 pick. By the way I am also an OSU fan. I really dislike him because I think he was a HS product from Ohio that decided to go to Michigan instead...

HuskerNation
05-11-2007, 11:08 PM
3-4 rounder, well behind the elite guys like Desean Jackson.

fenikz
05-11-2007, 11:10 PM
lol you 2 are ridiculous

he is easily a 1st rounder

id have them like this(i dont care if ginn went 8)

CJ
DeSean
Bowman
Bowe
Manningham
Meachem
Sweed
Doucet
Ginn
Jarrett

Phrost
05-11-2007, 11:12 PM
lol you 2 are ridiculous

he is easily a 1st rounder

id have them like this(i dont care if ginn went 8)

CJ
Bowman
Bowe
Manningham
Meachem
Jarrett

Agreed that are pretty insane. I thought that didn't sound correct. So what are his pros and cons in your opinions?

Like a mini scouting report.

fenikz
05-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Pros: great speed, deep threat, good body control

Cons: needs to get stronger, inexperienced at intermediate routes, injury issues

and the Michigan fans have already come up with his slogan 86=1 referring to all of the huge play receivers that have worn 1 at Michigan the he reminds them of

Phrost
05-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Pros: great speed, deep threat, good body control

Cons: needs to get stronger, inexperienced at intermediate routes, injury issues

and the Michigan fans have already come up with his slogan 86=1 referring to all of the huge play receivers that have worn 1 at Michigan the he reminds them of

Hmm, sounds like a replacement to Joey Galloway to me. I just looked it up, his injury was quite bad, more than likely one that will reoccur. Is there any chance he stays for a senior year?

fenikz
05-11-2007, 11:44 PM
idk, i'm not a big Michigan fan, its just by chance that i have seen him play quite a few times, but since i'm a betting man i'd say he leaves with Henne

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-11-2007, 11:52 PM
3rd to 4th rounder?OSU homers.
hes easily a 1st round pick and Id take both CJ and Jackson over him.

Woody56
05-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Maybe im a little biased because I am a Michigan fan, but Manningham is easily a top 15 pick and the next Marvin Harrison

Sportsfan486
05-12-2007, 12:03 AM
My report for him..

Pros - Amazing ball skills (location and adjustment), very good body control, good speed, finds a way behind defenders, good concentration on deep routes, best deep-ball threat in the NCAA

Cons - Mediocre route running on short to intermediate routes, not physical and needs to bulk up, might not have the burst off the line you'd expect from such a pronounced deep-threat, only decent hands and will drop easy balls while making tougher catches, can he play the middle?, serious durability concerns with his frame/history

I see him as a late 1st/2nd guy. Reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson in that he's a great deep-threat even if his speed (or more accurately burst) isn't as advertised.

No way he would have made the first this year, too many complete receivers. Would have fallen towards the end of the 2nd.

DoWnThEfiElD
05-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Maybe im a little biased because I am a Michigan fan, but Manningham is easily a top 15 pick and the next Marvin Harrison

No he's not...yet, he didn't even catch all the short balls thrown to him this year. He is very unpolished when it comes to short and intermediate routes, but yes he does have good speed and quickness, he really needs to work on catching the 5-yard passes. He's has very far to go before he is even close to Harrison.

BUTerriers
05-12-2007, 12:29 AM
If he bulks up, I think he's a legit first round prospect. I really like the guy as a prospect, but if he doesn't get more physical I'm afraid he might be overpowered at the line often by NFL corners. Not a DeSean Jackson fan, he needs to bulk up even more than Mario...If Mario gets up to 190-200 without losing much of his speed, I'd take him above every receiver in the 07 and 08 drafts except CJ. If he doesn't, I'd drop him below CJ, Meachem, Bowe, Sweed, Doucet, and Ginn.

ThEvIcTR
05-12-2007, 12:56 AM
OH MY GOD!

Come on now Ohio State fans! i'll be the first one to give you guys credit when it is due when you guys have quality players. Manningham isnt only fast he is also a very good route runner. If you watch in the game against Ohio State, he caught six passes for eighty-six yards. You can tell Ohio State was very worried about him as a deep threat because of the Notre Dame game and a lot of other games. BY putting up eighty-six yards against Jenkins and a very young and talented ohio state defense, this proves that he can do it all.

I also think Henne is very underrated, look at all the big games Henne has played in and tell me where he has not played at least well.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-12-2007, 01:09 AM
I'd like to see Manningham get open more consistently without using his double move which, while very nice, won't work nearly as often in the pros. He's a nice deep ball, but I don't see the aggressive attitude on deep balls from him, so he's going to have to be a precise route runner who gets separation rather than a big leaper who can snatch the ball out of the air.

If he can improve his route running and such, he's easily a 1st round pick.

Sniper
05-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Thank God Bengals1690 and HuskerNation aren't NFL GM's. HuskerNation, it may be time to let your hatred for Michigan go, it's ok. Manningham needs some work on the short game, but his double move is outstanding and he can really stretch the field.

HuskerNation, if DeSean Jackson is elite with 1,060 yards and 9 td's in 13 games, then why isn't Manningham elite with 703 yards in 9 games (and being very limited in the Indiana game) and 9 touchdowns? Besides the return ability that is

Michigan
05-12-2007, 08:45 AM
i like how pretty much all michigan fans on this board respect and support osu players in terms of the draft (unless overrated/overhyped ie. laurenaitis) but the majority of osu fans on this board cant get over their hatred for michigan and knock every michigan player at every opportunity. shows a difference in fanbase mentalities.

manningham would be a mid-late first this year, a top 15 pick next year. if he can bulk up and improve his short game, he can definitely be a top 10 pick this year.

Jimmy
05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
he is my #1... honestly.. great route runner, just seems like a football player to me. best double move reciever.. cant teach that

Sportsfan486
05-12-2007, 09:52 AM
he is my #1... honestly.. great route runner, just seems like a football player to me. best double move reciever.. cant teach that

His double-move is going to get SHUT-DOWN in the pros, one-trick ponies don't make it in the NFL.

He has to get a short/intermediate game before he's a top prospect, faster/stronger CBs will mess him up if all he can do is run deep routes in the pros.

Bizwah
05-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't know much about Manningham. I've seen him have some pretty big games. I'll pay more attention this next season.

In reading this thread, the name Desean Jackson seems to come up a lot. Again, I don't get to watch many Cal games (I live in MO) so I have seen very little of the guy.

Now, doesn't it bother anyone else that Jackson is listed at 165-175 pounds? I can imagine him exploding if he gets hit.

Can someone fill me in......has he bulked up any? If he does bulk up, how much speed and quickness would he lose?

OhioState
05-12-2007, 10:25 AM
he is good but by next year he will fall into the 20's to 30's overall in the draft. It will be hard for him to do what he did last year again this year. I mean, how many three td games can a guy have? and besides, he does it against lackluster competition

Phrost
05-12-2007, 10:57 AM
he is good but by next year he will fall into the 20's to 30's overall in the draft. It will be hard for him to do what he did last year again this year. I mean, how many three td games can a guy have? and besides, he does it against lackluster competition

I think someone in this thread was right, the OSU fans just can't stop hatin.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 10:57 AM

So you consider Wisconsin lackluster competition? 7 for 113 and 2 TD's against them. 99 total yards against OSU. Hell he put up 79 yards against USC, and Michigan's offense as a whole struggled. That said, he needs to improve his route running on short and medium routes, and keep better concentration on those routes, as he's dropped easy passes in that range. I would also agree that strength is an issue right now. If he comes out next year, I actually think you might be right though, I'd see him as more of a late first rounder as of now, but that could change depending on how he developes next season.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I think someone in this thread was right, the OSU fans just can't stop hatin.

That's OSU fans for you. That's why I felt bad for Braylon when he went to Cleveland. Alot of their "fans" support OSU more than the Browns. I remember him getting booed when he was introduced in his first game.

Phrost
05-12-2007, 11:00 AM
That's OSU fans for you. That's why I felt bad for Braylon when he went to Cleveland. Alot of their "fans" support OSU more than the Browns. I remember him getting booed when he was introduced in his first game.

They don't know talent when they see it, hence being the joke of the NFL for years...

Phrost
05-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Also Manningham will be 21 on draft day if he comes out this coming year.

IrishBrowns
05-12-2007, 11:24 AM
hey, I hate Michigan too, but I give respect where it's due...

this guy is first round talent without a doubt....if he didn't get injured it would have been scary the numbers he put up last year....he has the size and speed to be great, although he needs to bulk up...he has great route running as well

AlexDown
05-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm not ready to say first round talent yet.

Sniper
05-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Mario reminds me a lot of Donte' Stallworth. Fast as hell, good double moves, both kind of struggle with intermediate and short routes

detroit4life
05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
he'll be a 1st his injury isnt a big deal he only missed 4 weeks and was able to return he does need to bulk up but thats about it

OSUGiants17
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Definetly a top 5 WR

goblue8888
05-12-2007, 02:16 PM
manningham left jenkins jock strap on the field and had a ten plus yard cushion on jenkins before henne over threw him in the second quarter if you dont believe me watch the tape

Paranoidmoonduck
05-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't know much about Manningham. I've seen him have some pretty big games. I'll pay more attention this next season.

In reading this thread, the name Desean Jackson seems to come up a lot. Again, I don't get to watch many Cal games (I live in MO) so I have seen very little of the guy.

Now, doesn't it bother anyone else that Jackson is listed at 165-175 pounds? I can imagine him exploding if he gets hit.

Can someone fill me in......has he bulked up any? If he does bulk up, how much speed and quickness would he lose?

He has been hit hard (you can find it on youtube, it was against USC), and he basically got right up. He's a pretty tough kid.

Apriori
05-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't expect Manningham to come out next year. I don't think (I'm not sure, though) that Terrell or Howard came out after their junior years, and Braylon Edwards didn't either and stuck around, even when John Navarre graduated and it looked like Matt Gutierrez was going to be starting. Michigan has a pretty good track record of keeping their players around.

ThEvIcTR
05-12-2007, 04:54 PM
If Ted Ginn can be a top 10 pick, there is no doubt in my mind that MM can be a top 10 pick. Mario might not have the return ability but he is miles a head of Ginn as a route runner. Please tell me how his double move won't work at the next level, that is one of the many stupid things I've heard from you Ohio State fans on this board.

Manningham has been making plays since he was a freshmen, look at the Penn State game. MM will have a huge year this year and be a finalist for the biletnikoff award.

HuskerNation
05-12-2007, 05:29 PM
If Ted Ginn can be a top 10 pick, there is no doubt in my mind that MM can be a top 10 pick. Mario might not have the return ability but he is miles a head of Ginn as a route runner. Please tell me how his double move won't work at the next level, that is one of the many stupid things I've heard from you Ohio State fans on this board.

Manningham has been making plays since he was a freshmen, look at the Penn State game. MM will have a huge year this year and be a finalist for the biletnikoff award.

He doesn't have Ginn's speed or return skills.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Ginn went top 10 because of his ceiling and return ability. Manningham, as far as I can tell, has neither of those.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Although you never know, he might have return ability, but with Steve Breaston on the team, no one else was really getting too many shots at the return game. Not saying he does have the ability though, just to clarify.

ThEvIcTR
05-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Ginn is Troy Williamson 2.0

Cam Cameron didn't even announce Ginn as a wide out at the draft party.

"When you see this kid return the football your gonna be amazed."

So let me get this right here, Ohio state fans are the ones who are saying MM cant run routes? I guess the good old run as fast as you can and ill throw it up to you is a complicated route that Ginn has mastered.

MM- 38 703 18.5 69 9 ( Did not play in 4 games)

Ted Ginn- 59 781 13.2 58 9

So please tell me who's stats look better.

Sportsfan486
05-12-2007, 05:57 PM

So let me get this right here, Ohio state fans are the ones who are saying MM cant run routes? I guess the good old run as fast as you can and ill throw it up to you is a complicated route that Ginn has mastered.

I'm not an OSU fan and I'm saying MM doesn't run good short-intermediate routes. He just doesn't... and he'll drop passes on those routes.

Does he run better routes than Ginn? Uhh..yeah.. but so do I.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm a Michigan fan, and I personally think he could work on his short and intermediate routes as well. That will hopefully come with experience though.

Scotty D
05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Well we have the opinions of the OSU and UM fans. Now we need a third party's opinion.

Mr. Marcus
05-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Manningham will be a top 10 pick IMO. He's a Chad Johnson clone.

moc182
05-13-2007, 03:18 AM
I think he'll wind up veing better than every reciver in the class with the exception of god, I mean Calvin.

Sniper
05-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Manningham will be a top 10 pick IMO. He's a Chad Johnson clone.

Um, no he's not. Chad is way more physical and not as fast as Mario

Xonraider
05-13-2007, 09:41 AM
For the '08 alone he is the top receiver in my eyes. He makes great cuts, accelerates nicely and has very good speed. If we combined '07 and '08 he'd be behind CJ.

Sniper
05-13-2007, 11:21 AM
He doesn't have Ginn's speed or return skills.

Manningham has been clocked at 4.39. I'm gonna go ahead and say he's pretty darn fast. As far as return skills, he's never had to return punts/kicks because of Breaston. He could have the ability to do it, who knows?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-13-2007, 11:54 AM
First off, Steve Breaston wasn't that good of a return man anyway, and I bet Manningham got some return reps in practice, but he couldn't beat out a very average punt returner.

I think DeSean Jackson is the clear-cut #1 WR for next year's draft. Sure Manningham is fast, but DeSean's faster, has the return ability, better hands, and better route runner. DeSean is just a more sound reciever than Manningham. Manningham reminds me more of Troy Williamson than Ted Ginn IMO.

Sportsfan486
05-13-2007, 11:58 AM
First off, Steve Breaston wasn't that good of a return man anyway, and I bet Manningham got some return reps in practice, but he couldn't beat out a very average punt returner.

I think DeSean Jackson is the clear-cut #1 WR for next year's draft. Sure Manningham is fast, but DeSean's faster, has the return ability, better hands, and better route runner. DeSean is just a more sound reciever than Manningham. Manningham reminds me more of Troy Williamson than Ted Ginn IMO.

I think DeSean is excellent BUT there's NO WAY he goes off the board early if he doesn't get above 180 pounds.

Sniper
05-13-2007, 12:09 PM

I really don't understand the Williamson comparison. Manningham has pretty good hands. Breaston is Michigan's all time leading returner as well as the Big 10's career leading returner, but yeah obviously he's a very average PR/KR. Think before you speak please.

Jackson is filthy, but he really needs to bulk up because 165 lbs isn't going to cut it

Apriori
05-13-2007, 12:25 PM
I really don't understand the Williamson comparison. Manningham has pretty good hands. Breaston is Michigan's all time leading returner as well as the Big 10's career leading returner, but yeah obviously he's a very average PR/KR. Think before you speak please.

Jackson is filthy, but he really needs to bulk up because 165 lbs isn't going to cut it

If Breaston is an average returner and the career Big-10 leader in return yards, I guess that means that Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson were really bad.
And seriously, when you're playing for an elite program like Michigan it's hardly as though you're going to get a ton of return opportunities per game.

P-L
05-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I think he is overrated. I think he will probably be drafted in the 1st Round based on potential, but he isn't a great all-around receiver just yet. For as much as people want to rip on Chad Henne, Manningham's production is because of Henne, and not vice-versa. It's not hard to catch a ball when it is placed into your lap almost everytime. I think he's a 1st Round pick, but how high will depend on how much he improves his hands and intermediate route-running.

Secondly, saying that Steve Breaston wasn't a very good return man is a complete joke. He was a poor excuse for a WR, but he was a fantastic returner. I can tell someone has never seen a Michigan football game over the last four years. Just because he doesn't have 4.35 speed, doesn't make him a bad returner. Breaston had great vision, and great moves. You don't average 13 yards a punt return and 4 TD and 25 yards a kick return with 1 TD over a career by being a bad returner.

Star Wideout
05-13-2007, 01:14 PM
His double-move is going to get SHUT-DOWN in the pros, one-trick ponies don't make it in the NFL.

A great double move works wonders in the pros and is very hard for even great Corners to defend. Look at Lee Evans. It's just the fact that it's a really long developing route, which requires great protection and the pocket collapses a lot faster in the pros.

*Unrelated question on WRs for the people getting geared up for the '08 Draft. Where do Adarius Bowman from Oklahoma State, and Keenan Burton from Kentucky rank among next years WR crop?

ironman4579
05-13-2007, 01:18 PM
I know SI has Burton ranked in the top 25 of all prospects.

Jimmy
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
when troy williamson drops less passes and has 1000 yards, (this year) i bet the comparisions stop

ThEvIcTR
05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
when troy williamson drops less passes and has 1000 yards, (this year) i bet the comparisions stop

Not gonna happen with Jackson as his QB.

detroit4life
05-13-2007, 02:36 PM
i'd love to hear some opinions from non homer posters on this subj. Mostly everyfan ripping MM is a ND or OSU fan and the players loving him are mostly UM fans. I think he'll be good but he's not going to enter anyway IMO with his size he's going to be killed he needs to bulk up and prove he can still be effective

ironman4579
05-13-2007, 02:52 PM
i'd love to hear some opinions from non homer posters on this subj. Mostly everyfan ripping MM is a ND or OSU fan and the players loving him are mostly UM fans. I think he'll be good but he's not going to enter anyway IMO with his size he's going to be killed he needs to bulk up and prove he can still be effective

I would agree. I think you could say that about Jackson as well, even more so in fact. Manningham's listed at 6'0" 182 right now, and Jackson's listed at 6'0" 166. Even if Jackson bulks up from that weight, I don't see him ever being able to get to even 195 without losing a ton of speed.

HuskerNation
05-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Manningham has been clocked at 4.39. I'm gonna go ahead and say he's pretty darn fast. As far as return skills, he's never had to return punts/kicks because of Breaston. He could have the ability to do it, who knows?

Ginn ran that fast at 75%, he can run low 4.3's when healthy. That may be the stupidest argument I've ever heard. He hasn't done it, but maybe he'd be great at it? If he was good at it, then the coaches would have given him a couple shots by now.

ironman4579
05-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, I guess Manningham did return one punt for 17 yards in '05.

BuffaloDraftGeek
05-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I think he is VERY overrated. I've seen him play, and am not impressed. I think people just fall in love with the idea that he "does so much while being so undersized."

Michigan
05-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I think he is VERY overrated. I've seen him play, and am not impressed. I think people just fall in love with the idea that he "does so much while being so undersized."

which games did you watch? he was at 75% for his last 3 games and still was productive. watch his games against wisconsin or ND and you'll see what he can do at full health.

Sniper
05-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Ginn ran that fast at 75%, he can run low 4.3's when healthy. That may be the stupidest argument I've ever heard. He hasn't done it, but maybe he'd be great at it? If he was good at it, then the coaches would have given him a couple shots by now.

You're a complete toolbag. Maybe, just maybe, he was on the same team as the Big 10 and Michigan all-time leading returner, so MAYYYYYYYYYYYYYBE Breaston had that spot locked up?????????? Whaddya think? Breaston was the most productive returner in Michigan history, a school that has seen guys like Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson, guys who won the Heisman. Think perhaps Breaston was the only guy they needed? What a moron

Mr. Marcus
05-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Um, no he's not. Chad is way more physical and not as fast as Mario

Chad is not physical at all and his game speed is very comparable to Mario's. Mario is going into his junior year of college. Chad was not physical coming out of school.

Mr. Marcus
05-13-2007, 05:36 PM
and for the record I'm not a fans of UM, ND, or OSU.

ThEvIcTR
05-13-2007, 05:48 PM
haha, have you people ever seen Chad Johnson play? He isn't TO! chad Johnson is an excellent route runner and he plays the safeties very well. Johnson uses his speed to beat the corners and plays the safeties with his route running.

Although I dont think MM will ever be on the level that Chad Johnson is .

ironman4579
05-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Yes, I hate to compare MM to Chad, because, as stated in the post above, I don't think he'll ever be at that level.

EDIT: It's weird, I never thought Chad Johnson was 6'1" and under 200. I'm not sure why. He always seemed at least taller to me.

HuskerNation
05-13-2007, 06:02 PM
You're a complete toolbag. Maybe, just maybe, he was on the same team as the Big 10 and Michigan all-time leading returner, so MAYYYYYYYYYYYYYBE Breaston had that spot locked up?????????? Whaddya think? Breaston was the most productive returner in Michigan history, a school that has seen guys like Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson, guys who won the Heisman. Think perhaps Breaston was the only guy they needed? What a moron

He'd still get atleast a few shots even with Breaston, just like OSU used gonzo and ginn. You have the most r*tarded logic I've ever heard.

Sniper
05-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Not really bud. Breaston is pretty much the only returner they ever used.

Punt Returns

Breaston, Steve 29 332 11.4 1 83
Mathews, Greg 2 14 7.0 0 9
Hall, Leon 1 11 11.0 0 11
Brown, Stevie 1 0 0.0 0 0

Kick Returns

Breaston, Steve 21 467 22.2 0 64
Sears, Johnny 5 89 17.8 0 22
Oluigbo, Obi 3 28 9.3 0 10
Tabb, Carl 2 28 14.0 0 19
Minor, Brandon 1 4 4.0 0 4

icantackleclaret
05-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Just to put in my 2 cents... I am a Ohio State fan and homer... I think Mario Manningham is a very solid reciever and has a big upside. He still needs polished, He reminds me alot of all the other great WR that have come out lately. They seem to make all the hard catches that come at them, but for whatever reason they can't seem to get the easy ones. Also a little side note before the OSU v. Michigan game last year went asked about 10 OSU fans who is the better #1 WR in that game and probably 8 of 10 siad MM. (point) not all OSU fans are overly biased.

HuskerNation
05-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Not really bud. Breaston is pretty much the only returner they ever used.

Punt Returns

Breaston, Steve 29 332 11.4 1 83
Mathews, Greg 2 14 7.0 0 9
Hall, Leon 1 11 11.0 0 11
Brown, Stevie 1 0 0.0 0 0

Kick Returns

Breaston, Steve 21 467 22.2 0 64
Sears, Johnny 5 89 17.8 0 22
Oluigbo, Obi 3 28 9.3 0 10
Tabb, Carl 2 28 14.0 0 19
Minor, Brandon 1 4 4.0 0 4

You completely missed the point, and your argument that he could be as good as ginn, but hasn't been given the chance is borderline idiotic. If he was any good he would have shared or split with Breaston like gonzo did with ginn.

Sniper
05-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Or maybe you're the one who completely missed the point. Michigan returned 33 punts this year, Breaston returned 29 of them. They returned 31 kicks, Breaston had 21 of them. Of the rest, I'm willing to put good money on the fact that they were in garbage time and the starters were pulled. So you're telling me that because he's never returned a punt he sucks at it? Please. Ginn may be good, but I don't recall him being the Big 10's all time career returning yardage leader, but I could be wrong. I'm not saying Manningham is or isn't good at it, I'm saying that for the first time in four years, Michigan has to worry about who's going to return kicks, hence it was never a problem. Breaston was a damn good returner, why put Manningham back there? Ok Ohio State had both Gonzalez and Ginn back there, does that mean Michigan has to do that and put Manningham back there? Breaston was the only returner they ever needed, it worked out pretty well for them

HuskerNation
05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Ginn was amazing as a returner, Manningham has done and proven nothing, my original point exactly.

Michigan
05-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Ginn was amazing as a returner, Manningham has done and proven nothing, my original point exactly.

That's not a knock on Manningham though.

ThEvIcTR
05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
ok I was gonna stop posting in this thread until i saw what Husker Nation just put. Since when does it matter if a WIDE RECIEVER returns kicks or not?! Ginn is extremely lucky he is fast because he can't play wide out for ****. We haven't even been able to see if Ginn can make cuts going that fast because he just ran by everyone in college. If you think Ginn is just gonna be able to use his speed the whole time on the pro level you are mentally ill. have you ever thought that maybe Carr doesnt want to put Manningham back there because he might get hurt? We have many explosive guys on our roster that can be put back there, we dont need our star wide out being put back there and getting hurt.

Sniper
05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Obviously not it's because Manningham can't return kicks....DUH!!;)

ironman4579
05-14-2007, 04:50 AM
I don't know why you guys even bother arguing with huskernation anymore.

lod01
05-14-2007, 02:14 PM

He's the next JL Higgins, who was there (the NFL) 1st. Higgins is the next Marvin Harrison. Just watch.

Sportsfan486
05-14-2007, 02:46 PM
He's the next JL Higgins, who was there (the NFL) 1st. Higgins is the next Marvin Harrison. Just watch.

Huh???

Is your brain broken or something?

lod01
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Huh???

Is your brain broken or something?

Nope. Higgins is a major league steal as a 3rd round pick. He has it all and you will witness that he is better than Ginn, Meachem, Bowe, Rice, Smith and whoever else was drafted ahead of him not named Calvin Johnson. He was unstoppable as the only UTEP weapon. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and it didn't matter.

Sniper
05-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa ok. Those mighty C-USA defenses were all over him, whoo tough. Don't be such a homer. I think Higgins is going to be pretty good, a PR/KR and slot receiver..wait did I just say Higgins or Ginn? ;)

Bengals1690
05-15-2007, 09:38 AM

ted ginn. Those stats show the complete opposite of what your arguing. Thise stats showw MM is the "run fast and ill throw it up to you", with only 38 cathces. He averaged 18 yadees per catch. Ted Ginn averaged 13 ypc. you made yourself look ingnorant with this post.

Sniper
05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Don't be an idiot. Manningham can actually run more than 3 routes. I wasn't aware it was a bad thing to average more yards per catch than another guy.

Manningham averaged 4.22 catches per game, and Ginn averaged 4.5 Throw in the fact that Michigan runs the ball 4,957 times per game and it comes out about even. I think I'll take Manningham's numbers. So if you had a receiver who got 13 yards per catch you'd rather take that over half a first down more?

constant cough
05-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Is he the one Kirk Herbstreit called worthless last season before the UM/OSU game?

bored of education
05-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Last year Michigan rushed for 2282 yards, OSU 2208 yards.

Apriori
05-15-2007, 01:13 PM
ted ginn. Those stats show the complete opposite of what your arguing. Thise stats showw MM is the "run fast and ill throw it up to you", with only 38 cathces. He averaged 18 yadees per catch. Ted Ginn averaged 13 ypc. you made yourself look ingnorant with this post.

You're missing the "he didn't play in 4 games" part. He plays in those 4 games, and he's probably about equal to Ginn in catches, along with significantly more yards and TDs. I'd guess that his YPC would even out as well with more PT.

Sniper
05-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Is he the one Kirk Herbstreit called worthless last season before the UM/OSU game?

No that was Breaston. As a receiver, Breaston was borderline useless.As a returner, he was excellent

ironman4579
05-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Last year Michigan rushed for 2282 yards, OSU 2208 yards.

But Michigan also had 535 rushing attempts last year, to 480 rushes for OSU. Meaning Michigan averaged about 4 more rushing attempts per game. It doesn't seem like much, but if even 2 of those are passes, and 1 goes to Manningham, that's 13 more catches on the season. Take out the 3 games he missed and he ends up with 9 more catches. So based on this extrapolation(which doesn't matter because it didn't happen anyway) he'd have had 47 catches, and based on his average YPC(which likely would have gone down) he'd have had 869 yards. Not bad for 9 games IMO. But again, it doesn't matter, because it's just a projection. He needs to produce this year.

HuskerNation
05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
But Michigan also had 535 rushing attempts last year, to 480 rushes for OSU. Meaning Michigan averaged about 4 more rushing attempts per game. It doesn't seem like much, but if even 2 of those are passes, and 1 goes to Manningham, that's 13 more catches on the season. Take out the 3 games he missed and he ends up with 9 more catches. So based on this extrapolation(which doesn't matter because it didn't happen anyway) he'd have had 47 catches, and based on his average YPC(which likely would have gone down) he'd have had 869 yards. Not bad for 9 games IMO. But again, it doesn't matter, because it's just a projection. He needs to produce this year.

You're seriously reaching there son.

HuskerNation
05-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Obviously not it's because Manningham can't return kicks....DUH!!;)

Your claims that he would be as good as ginn at it are rediculous.

Sniper
05-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Your claims that he would be as good as ginn at it are rediculous.

How do you know how Manningham would do returning kicks?

ironman4579
05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
You're seriously reaching there son.

I'm not trying to reach. As I said numerous times in my post, it doesn't matter what he might have done, because he didn't do it. Injuries are obviously part of football, as are systems teams run. Obviously you can't say such and such would have been a Hall of Famer if he didn't get hurt or his team ran a different system, and then call him the best player ever. I was simply making a projection for what was conceivably possible. I wasn't trying to make an argument one way or the other. As I said, Manningham needs to produce like a first round WR this year.

HuskerNation
05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
How do you know how Manningham would do returning kicks?

To compare a guy who's never done it, to a guy who is one of the big 10's all time best at it, is freaking ********.

Phrost
05-15-2007, 07:03 PM
To compare a guy who's never done it, to a guy who is one of the big 10's all time best at it, is freaking ********.

Dude, calm down....We will see in a couple of years.