PDA

View Full Version : Sean Taylor vs. Andre Johnson

LarryJohnson27
05-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Looking at these two as prospects, who has the more rare skill set for their position?

neko4
05-12-2007, 02:04 PM
tough call, but i'd say sean. has roy williams-like hitting but can cover

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Looking at these two as prospects, who has the more rare skill set for their position?

Sean Taylor. I can't ever remember a 6-2 230 pound safety who runs a 4.45 forty and had crazy measurable in like the Long jump and other stuff. Although rare to have size and speed like Andre there are others, just in this years draft Calvin Johnson. At 6-2 230 he ran a 4.40 according to the site. Just to compare to his own draft class, Charles Rogers 6-2 4.40, Kelley Washington 6-4 4.45, Roy Williams the next year 4.45, now granted Andre is much faster than that time and I love him and he is one of the elite wideouts in the game, but Sean Taylor is just a freak for his position, he looks like a linebacker playing safety and has that freak combination of size and speed.

regoob2
05-12-2007, 02:20 PM
you kinda half to say sean cause of calvin johnson has better measurables than andre?

foozball
05-12-2007, 02:25 PM
according to nfl.com's draft profile, sean taylor ran a 4.54 40yd. i'd still say taylor has the more rare skillset due to his size and his instincts.

Moses
05-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Sean Taylor. There have been a few wide receivers that have a skillset like Andre Johnson, nobody has been like Sean Taylor coming out yet.

LLoyd Floyd-Boyd
05-12-2007, 02:46 PM
tough call, but i'd say sean. has roy williams-like hitting but can cover

but Sean Taylor is just a freak for his position, he looks like a linebacker playing safety and has that freak combination of size and speed.

He didn't seem too enthusiastic about the prospect of meeting Steven Jackson.

;)

bored of education
05-12-2007, 03:16 PM
the armadillo pwns Taylor

TheChampIsHere
05-12-2007, 03:32 PM
I mean they are both flat out incredible talents with the size and physicality of a possession receiver/in the box run stuffer, but the athleticism and speed of a vertical big-play WR/coverage FS

skinzzfan25
05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Nobody has ST's measurables. He is the definition of a freak.

etk
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0NiwGp1TM5k

Greg Jones FTW....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WKknaWEln9w

more proof that -black can attest to....

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Greg Jones FTW....

I have never found that as impressive as everyone else does, first off it's one play and no player is perfect, next Greg Jones gets a 20 yard head start full speed and Sean was caught in a way a safety shouldn't and he was flat footed. Brian Urlacher would have been knocked over in that situation, it was Sean's fault for staying flat footed which you never do, but he was so dominant in college he just had too much confidence.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Greg Jones FTW....

I love that Greg Jones bulldoze of Sean Taylor, he was a BEAST at FSU =).

badgerbacker
05-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I have never found that as impressive as everyone else does, first off it's one play and no player is perfect, next Greg Jones gets a 20 yard head start full speed and Sean was caught in a way a safety shouldn't and he was flat footed. Brian Urlacher would have been knocked over in that situation, it was Sean's fault for staying flat footed which you never do, but he was so dominant in college he just had too much confidence.

Not to mention it's freaking Greg Jones who is a beast.

etk
05-12-2007, 04:12 PM

I wasn't using that video negatively for Taylor, I'm just saying Greg Jones is an animal at 6'1 255 with 4.4 speed and the hitting power to go with his size. It wasn't Taylor's fault but Jones is a beast.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I wasn't using that video negatively for Taylor, I'm just saying Greg Jones is an animal at 6'1 255 with 4.4 speed and the hitting power to go with his size. It wasn't Taylor's fault but Jones is a beast.

Oh ok gotcha, cause it's annoying usually whenever there is something about Sean Taylor being a beast, people post this to try to say that he isn't and get owned like this often.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Greg Jones FTW....

That one against Reid is still one of my favorite things to watch, and I'm not an FSU fan.

Staubach12
05-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I'd say Taylor. He was just about a perfect prospect coming out, and Andre Johnson wasn't.

Sportsfan486
05-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I'd say Taylor. He was just about a perfect prospect coming out, and Andre Johnson wasn't.

A lot of people consider(ed) Andre Johnson the prototypical WR prospect coming out. I know there are still people that consider him a better prospect than CJ.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-12-2007, 05:16 PM
He wasn't even the top WR prospect in his draft.

Sportsfan486
05-12-2007, 05:18 PM
He wasn't even the top WR prospect in his draft.

He wasn't drafted first but a lot of people had him as the top guy, including Scott if I remember correctly.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 05:19 PM
He wasn't drafted first but a lot of people had him as the top guy, including Scott if I remember correctly.

If there was a debate about it, then I don't think he can be considered in CJ's league as a prospect.

Sportsfan486
05-12-2007, 05:50 PM
If there was a debate about it, then I don't think he can be considered in CJ's league as a prospect.

CJ isn't as bulletproof as people thinks. He draws people's eyes with his size and 40 time but he has his flaws.

Fitz, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson and Roy Williams were all viewed as can't miss, once in a lifetime guys too. Granted, three of four proved the hype true and I think CJ will too.. but yeah, point is he was DEFINITELY in CJ's "league." So were the other 3 guys I mentioned and soon enough there'll be another "once-in-a-lifetime-WR."

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 05:58 PM
CJ isn't as bulletproof as people thinks. He draws people's eyes with his size and 40 time but he has his flaws.

Fitz, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson and Roy Williams were all viewed as can't miss, once in a lifetime guys too. Granted, three of four proved the hype true and I think CJ will too.. but yeah, point is he was DEFINITELY in CJ's "league." So were the other 3 guys I mentioned and soon enough there'll be another "once-in-a-lifetime-WR."

I'm not saying CJ is bulletproof. He certainly does have flaws. What I am saying is that I doubt anyone had CJ ranked anything other than first in their WR rankings, whereas there was obviously some diverse opinions on Johnson. Many people have called CJ the best WR prospect in the last decade, and I really don't remember Johnson drawing that statement.

Sportsfan486
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm not saying CJ is bulletproof. He certainly does have flaws. What I am saying is that I doubt anyone had CJ ranked anything other than first in their WR rankings, whereas there was obviously some diverse opinions on Johnson. Many people have called CJ the best WR prospect in the last decade, and I really don't remember Johnson drawing that statement.

But Andre had CHARLES ROGERS and CJ had..uh..Ted Ginn?

EvilMonkey
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Greg Jones is real life version of the Diet Pepsi Machine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZfq2_7g4k

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
But Andre had CHARLES ROGERS and CJ had..uh..Ted Ginn?

Good point, although I think this years draft alot of people had the guys after CJ ranked differently.

djp
05-12-2007, 08:11 PM
It's definitely Taylor. There has never been a 6'3'', 230 lb safety who runs in the low 4.4's like Taylor did, not to mention his nose for the ball was unmatched. Johnson has a very rare skill set, but Taylor is the most talented safety of all-time.

WMD
05-12-2007, 10:05 PM

Greg Jones FTW....

Plus, look how quick Sean Taylor pops up.. Pretty much right away.

Phrost
05-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Sean Taylor should play LB, he sure as hell didn't cover too well last year.

benchod
05-12-2007, 10:27 PM
One of the big reasons why Detroit took Charles ahead of Andre was because of the Michigan State connection. A hometown kid makes a pretty big marketing campaign.

Kinda props Andre up against the argument that he wasn't even the first receiver taken in his draft.

etk
05-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Many people have called CJ the best WR prospect in the last decade, and I really don't remember Johnson drawing that statement.

If CJ is the best WR prospect in the last decade why isn't he the best WR prospect ever?

ncst8fan83
05-13-2007, 12:11 AM
It's definitely Taylor. There has never been a 6'3'', 230 lb safety who runs in the low 4.4's like Taylor did, not to mention his nose for the ball was unmatched. Johnson has a very rare skill set, but Taylor is the most overrated safety of all-time.

fixed that for ya

Mr. Marcus
05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
People have revisionist history when it comes to Andre Johnson.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Sean Taylor should play LB, he sure as hell didn't cover too well last year.

You either watch very little football and know very little, or you just enjoy people calling you dumb, i'm leaning towards the latter.

Addict
05-13-2007, 08:09 AM
One of the big reasons why Detroit took Charles ahead of Andre was because of the Michigan State connection. A hometown kid makes a pretty big marketing campaign.

Kinda props Andre up against the argument that he wasn't even the first receiver taken in his draft.

Well Rogers was just as big a freak coming out... lightning fast and really looked like the next big thing, it's the eternal battle of the 'safe' pick against the boom or bust. Detroit gambled and lost... Sure the Michigan connection had something to do with it as well.

Taylor wins this discussion, because his measurables were unheard of for the safety position, while A.Johnsons were amazing but not as rare as Taylors.

supermario86
05-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Sean Taylor. There have been a few wide receivers that have a skillset like Andre Johnson, nobody has been like Sean Taylor coming out yet.

Kenny Phillips has everything you look for in a saftey and then some :)

Moses
05-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Kenny Phillips has everything you look for in a saftey and then some :)

Physically, Taylor is superior to Phillips. The argument can be made either way for who is the better prospect overall, but I'd go with Taylor still.

art vandelay
05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Definitely Taylor...

As for raw talent at WR, why wouldn't you put Calvin Johnson over Andre?

lod01
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM

We are going to finally see what AJ can do now that he is paired with an NFL caliber QB for the 1st time ever. Gone will be the dumpoff and the pass down the LOS where AJ has to do all he can just to gain 10 yards.

draftguru151
05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Physically, Taylor is superior to Phillips. The argument can be made either way for who is the better prospect overall, but I'd go with Taylor still.

Taylor has 25 or so pounds on Phillips, and has just as good if not better athleticism. I love Kenny, but he really isn't on Taylor's level yet.

Also, Sean Taylor at Miami, with some Greg Jones/FSU whoopin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgTm8nAeq7Q&mode=related&search=

I can't wait for Landry/Taylor to happen so Taylor can be used like he should. Center fielder ST, *drool*.

reese
05-17-2007, 04:39 PM
fixed that for ya

what makes taylor so overrated?

yourfavestoner
05-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Not to mention it's freaking Greg Jones who is a beast.

Most definitely.

As a matter of fact, how many runningbacks coming out of college could boast the skill set that Jones had? Imagine if he never would have torn that first ACL. It's frightening.

Canuck
05-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Reggie Ball. Not only is he under 6 feet and 200 lbs, he also runs a 4.8+ 40. How many NFL QBs or WRs can make that claim?

reese
05-17-2007, 05:54 PM
i dont even think afl wrs and qbs can make that claim...lol

soybean
05-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Reggie Ball. Not only is he under 6 feet and 200 lbs, he also runs a 4.8+ 40. How many NFL QBs or WRs can make that claim?

no offense but... reggie ball jokes are kind of old.

Canuck
05-18-2007, 05:16 PM
no offense but... reggie ball jokes are kind of old.

I think that was my last one.

bored of education
05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Sean Taylor's coverage skills, or lack their of where exploited because of the fact he was in a situation where he felt that he had to control the box and outside the box that why he was beaten deep. (except Dante's double move, but that happens to the best of them)

Taylor's centerfield skills will be tested this year, I think he will deliver. Guy is a playmaker, and I'm not that much of a fan.