PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Players/Musicians Thread

McBain
05-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Who Plays?

Also, wondering about mics. I've been thinking about buying a mic and recording some stuff with audacity. Any suggestions?

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 03:32 PM
I do not play, although I took guitar for a couple years. Anyway, despite not knowing anything about mics, I'd still say you should record, if for no other reason than it's something you want to do.

fenikz
05-12-2007, 03:33 PM
i've been playing guitar & bass for about 3 years now, can't live with out it

but i know nothing about recording

McBain
05-12-2007, 03:36 PM
i've been playing guitar & bass for about 3 years now, can't live with out it

but i know nothing about recording

that's where i am right now. I play all the time. Friends come over and we jam, it's sweet. Afterwords we talk about how we should record this or that but we never have anything and really don't know the first thing about recording. I downloaded Audacity (free recording software) i've been playing around with other song mixing stuff, i think i kind of have the hang of it. So now i just need a mic that's good enuff to record decent but not something that will blow my wallet.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I knew this dude from Quebec once. He couldn't read a note of music, but if he heard a song, he could play it by ear. Any song you could think of. He couldn't come up with anything on his own though.

TCU
05-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I can play Guitar Hero pretty damm good, does that count?

fenikz
05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
my friends dad is like that, he is a jazz musician and he said that basically anything that has ever been played in jazz has been adapted in a simpler form to general music

McBain
05-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I can play Guitar Hero pretty damm good, does that count?

I didn't think guitar hero would be that cool. Then i played it, it blew my mind how close it is to really playing. You can really get into the song your playing, good times. Esp for people who play on expert.

etk
05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Freebird is TOUGH on Expert.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Well I'm standin next to a mountain... Chop it down with the edge of my hand. how many people can play that Jimi Hendrix classic?

fenikz
05-12-2007, 04:13 PM
can i play the notes, yes

can i make it sound like jimi, its not even possibly

TCU
05-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I didn't think guitar hero would be that cool. Then i played it, it blew my mind how close it is to really playing. You can really get into the song your playing, good times. Esp for people who play on expert.

yeah, im just getting into expert and like you i thought it wasnt going to be a cool game then i played it at a friends and bought it a day later, its a great game.

wiscbadgerfootball
05-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Well I'm standin next to a mountain... Chop it down with the edge of my hand. how many people can play that Jimi Hendrix classic?

you mean Voodoo Child..

doubt it.. maybe a few people here

Nitschke-Hawk
05-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah I know what it's called, but I love that line.

RoyHall#1
05-12-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah, im just getting into expert and like you i thought it wasnt going to be a cool game then i played it at a friends and bought it a day later, its a great game.

"Monkey Wrench" on expert is impossible.

fenikz
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
how did go from a guitar thread to a guitar hero thread?

RoyHall#1
05-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Wait... there's a difference?

McBain
05-12-2007, 06:06 PM

**** happens

duckseason
05-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Wondering about mics. I've been thinking about buying a mic and recording some stuff with audacity. Any suggestions?
Don't know much about recording either, but my brother recommends Shure. Says they make the best mics for a fair price.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_SM58-CN_content

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but just thought I'd let you know what my brother thinks. I'm sure they'll have what you need though.

McBain
05-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Cool man, thanks. I'll check it out.

fenikz
05-12-2007, 06:29 PM
im not sure if there is anything against linking to a guitar site, but people at harmony central know a lot about everything to do with guitars, just put it in on google & look on their forum you can get basically any question anwsered

EdReedUnstoppable
05-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I play the guitar, have been playing since I was 15, self taught.

BuckNaked
05-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I personally can't get past medium on Guitar Hero 2. I guess I just need to play a little more.

Vince Lombardi
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Who Plays?

Also, wondering about mics. I've been thinking about buying a mic and recording some stuff with audacity. Any suggestions?

I make my living as an audio engineer. If you tell me what you want to be able to record with the mic and what your price range is, I can give you some suggestions.

I've played guitar for about 10 years also, though I'm out of practice as of late.

Bengals1690
05-12-2007, 08:07 PM
ive played since i was 13. fun times.

Vince Lombardi
05-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Don't know much about recording either, but my brother recommends Shure. Says they make the best mics for a fair price.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_SM58-CN_content

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but just thought I'd let you know what my brother thinks. I'm sure they'll have what you need though.

That's more of a live sound vocal mic, the SM57 is kind of it's studio counterpart. Shure is good affordable brand. Just about every guitar amp ever recorded has had an SM57 stuck in it's grill.

duckseason
05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
That's more of a live sound vocal mic, the SM57 is kind of it's studio counterpart. Shure is good affordable brand. Just about every guitar amp ever recorded has had an SM57 stuck in it's grill.
Even after all these years, your audio expertise continues to be a major turn on. I still remember the first time windy and I sat down to watch that home movie you sent me a few years ago. We popped that sucker in, and it wasn't but 2 minutes later that we looked at each other and in unison exclaimed "the clarity of the ball-slapping is amazing!!!!" Needless to say, I have since then viewed the movie countless times. And every time, I sit and wonder how the hell you managed to achieve such a rich sound quality without having pounded her down in the middle of a state of the art studio.

Vince Lombardi
05-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Even after all these years, your audio expertise continues to be a major turn on. I still remember the first time windy and I sat down to watch that home movie you sent me a few years ago. We popped that sucker in, and it wasn't but 2 minutes later that we looked at each other and in unison exclaimed "the clarity of the ball-slapping is amazing!!!!" Needless to say, I have since then viewed the movie countless times. And every time, I sit and wonder how the hell you managed to achieve such a rich sound quality without having pounded her down in the middle of a state of the art studio.

You know it's the moments like these that keep me loving what I do.

Tobzilla
05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm planning to start learning how to play guitar this summer...does anyone have any advice as far as what songs are good for beginners and stuff like that.

McBain
05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm planning to start learning how to play guitar this summer...does anyone have any advice as far as what songs are good for beginners and stuff like that.

Whatever music you're into. Who's your favorite artist?

Tobzilla
05-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Whatever music you're into. Who's your favorite artist?

Yeah...I thought of that but my fav. band is Metallica, which is more than difficult to play. Ummm...I like a lot of stuff both new and classic rock so I'm pretty much open to anything...except nickelback. I HATE nickelback.

awfullyquiet
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM

SM57 are great starter mics. Seriously. Trust that man what he says.

But... I use a R0DE NT2000 and a Shure KSM137/SL for my guitar cab and a pair of AKG Perception 400's for my 8 by tizzle bass cab. I've played bass for like 9 years now, and guitar for like 4. I still suck at guitar. but GH2 = awesome.

McBain
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
SM57 are great starter mics. Seriously. Trust that man what he says.

But... I use a R0DE NT2000 and a Shure KSM137/SL for my guitar cab and a pair of AKG Perception 400's for my 8 by tizzle bass cab. I've played bass for like 9 years now, and guitar for like 4. I still suck at guitar. but GH2 = awesome.

Yeah well i ended up getting a marshall mxl or something. It seems to be pretty good.

wiscbadgerfootball
05-13-2007, 09:39 PM

easy songs..

beginning of Enter Sandman
Walkie Talkie Man
Smoke on the Water
Crazy Train
Brain Stew
Beverly Hills

WarrenMoonHOF
05-14-2007, 08:45 AM

Learn some power chords and scales first and then move on to some of the riffs from metallica, it will be much easier.

Tobzilla
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks fellas.

thule
05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I can't wait to pick up my guitar. I'm still not sure whether to get an accustic or a guitar and amp. It'll be a big decision I'm making here in the next few days. I'm a pretty extreme guitar hero player...now to the point of making and playing custom songs. But I would rather be able to play everything on a real guitar. Should be interesting. Any suggestions on guitars to go after in the 100-200 dollar range? I'm not sure if that's cheap for a guitar or not :S

McBain
05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I can't wait to pick up my guitar. I'm still not sure whether to get an accustic or a guitar and amp. It'll be a big decision I'm making here in the next few days. I'm a pretty extreme guitar hero player...now to the point of making and playing custom songs. But I would rather be able to play everything on a real guitar. Should be interesting. Any suggestions on guitars to go after in the 100-200 dollar range? I'm not sure if that's cheap for a guitar or not :S

Acoustic > Electric IMO. If you can play it on an acoustic you can play it on a electric doesn't always work the other way around. Electric guitar is easier because you can get away with being sloppy. Learn the acoustic first and move to electric you'll be a far better guitar player for it.

This is what i had before it got stolen

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D10S-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=515152

I loved that guitar, great sound... it was just starting to get kinda of old so it was starting to sound richer then some asshat stole it. Right now i play and old yamaha it's ok.

McBain
05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
easy songs..

beginning of Enter Sandman
Walkie Talkie Man
Smoke on the Water
Crazy Train
Brain Stew
Beverly Hills

Brain Stew was the first song i ever learned :D

fenikz
05-15-2007, 05:09 PM
I'd go with an acoustic at 1st, they are a little harder to play but it will make you a better player in the long run

and 200 is like the lowest you can basically pay for a guitar

here are some good beginner guitars

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-F335-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512940
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Applause-AA13-Minibowl-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516700

if you really want to get a electric, you will probally have to get one of those starter sets, which is basically a really cehap guitar and amp plus strap, a couple of picks and a tuner

like this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745

McBain
05-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I'd go with an acoustic at 1st, they are a little harder to play but it will make you a better player in the long run

and 200 is like the lowest you can basically pay for a guitar

here are some good beginner guitars

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-F335-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512940
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Applause-AA13-Minibowl-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516700

if you really want to get a electric, you will probally have to get one of those starter sets, which is basically a really cehap guitar and amp plus strap, a couple of picks and a tuner

like this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745

I wouldn't waste my money on a tuner.

http://www.tunemybass.com/

click on 6 string guitar and you have yourself a tuner. You can also set it to other standard tuning like drop d, half step down etc. Oh and you can make your own custom tunings. It's a hundred times more efficient than any tuner you actually pay money for.

http://www.chordfind.com/

This website helped me a lot. You can transpose music from guitar to piano or vice versa. Very cool.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

pretty tabs, and huge guitar community if you click on there forums people will help you out with stuff. It's pretty sweet.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-15-2007, 08:28 PM
i play this:

http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/ax-400.jpg

b.a.m.f. guitar...

fenikz
05-16-2007, 05:26 AM
i've never been a fan of sharpe shapes and such, but i wouldn't mind owning that

thule
05-17-2007, 08:24 PM
I had a quick question for a guitar player. I am trying to write a guitar hero chart. And basically I can move by different measures...blah blah blah

Anyways I have trouble understanding something.

http://gra.midco.net/airplaneparts/notechart.JPG
The 3rd set of notes (on line 10)...notes 9 10 and 11 are grouped together.

It shows a 1/8th measure between notes 9 and 11.
and a 1/16th measure between notes 10 and 11....how is this possible?

On a 4/4 scale this doesn't equal...can someone please help me out here.

awfullyquiet
05-17-2007, 08:31 PM
it's counted 1 (e) and a. where everything not in parentheses is counted. it's one full beat.

thule
05-17-2007, 08:38 PM
it's counted 1 (e) and a. where everything not in parentheses is counted. it's one full beat.

can you dumb that down for me..

wat would the spread look like.

between notes 9 and 11
and between notes 9 and 10
and between notes 10 and 11.

1/8 + 1/16 + 1/16 doesn't add up

PoopSandwich
05-17-2007, 08:39 PM
I play I'm starting to really get into it too, started learning Black Dog, due to much time not playing it though I have to re-learn all of the chords and stuff, I think i'm going to get lessons again though so that will help.

awfullyquiet
05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
can you dumb that down for me..

wat would the spread look like.

between notes 9 and 11
and between notes 9 and 10
and between notes 10 and 11.

1/8 + 1/16 + 1/16 doesn't add up

1/8+1/16+1/16 = 1/4. (aka a quarter note. aka one beat. aka one (e and a).)

1/16+1/16= 1/8.

so, when you count measure in 4/4 and it's all 16th notes. i was always told to count 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a. each syllable is one note.
so, when you take out the syllable, you're just holding the note.

and when i put it in parentheses, that means you're taking out the syllable and holding down the note.

so 4 quarter notes would be 1 (e and a) 2 (e and a) 3 (e and a) 4 (e and a)

and that particular line is 1 (e) and a 2 (e) and (a) 3 e and a 4 (e and a)...

i used to teach piano lessons to kids, and that's how i'd teach it...
it's less confusing when i have a piano or music generator to show you.

thule
05-17-2007, 08:52 PM
I think I understand...how about spacing. Is there anything you can see from the image that would show the break inbetween each note? for instance that gap between 9 and 10 or 10 and 11.

awfullyquiet
05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
I think I understand...how about spacing. Is there anything you can see from the image that would show the break inbetween each note? for instance that gap between 9 and 10 or 10 and 11.

if there's no rest, there is no space, no pause, nothing. it's just bad filler from whoever wrote the tab.

Vikes99ej
05-18-2007, 10:19 AM
I personally can't get past medium on Guitar Hero 2. I guess I just need to play a little more.

Yeah, just wait until you get to the orange key on Hard. It's pretty easy though, once you get used to it. I'm stuck on the second set on Expert. I cannot beat "Woman".