PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150

Ward
11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
This me trying to give the thread a little history and respect that it deserves. It ended on page 962.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111

robert_rodriguez_nyc
11-09-2006, 12:34 PM
This me trying to give the thread a little history and respect that it deserves. It ended on page 962.

Are you talking a dead person or a series of blog rants by Cowboy lovers and haters?

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Well lets get it started then why don't we.

SUN
DAL - 30
ARZ - 10

Cowboys WILL draft Justin Blalock

And Romo is GODLIKE.

Ward
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Well lets get it started then why don't we.

SUN
DAL - 30
ARZ - 10

Cowboys WILL draft Justin Blalock

And Romo is GODLIKE.

I too am becoming a Romosexual. The only thing I fear with Blalock is that he goes before we can get him. Otherwise I think they'd take him.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 01:22 PM
If we do make the Playoffs we probably won't be able to get Blalock. Hopefully that's the case.

Jughead10
11-09-2006, 01:27 PM
I think you guys are overrating Blalock. He would fit nicely with your team, but I think if you are picking anywhere from 1-25 you should have a good shot to get him. Or in a good shot to nab him by moving up only a few spots.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Overrated or not he will impact our line more then any other lineman in this years draft. But I'll be happy with Manny Ramirez in the 2nd round as well.

Jughead10
11-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Overrated or not he will impact our line more then any other lineman in this years draft. But I'll be happy with Manny Ramirez in the 2nd round as well.

I guess I meant more overrating him if you think you won't be able to draft him if you finish anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6. He isn't a top 15 pick, especially if guys like Baker and Long come out.

leroyisgod
11-09-2006, 01:38 PM
What in the hell happened to the page count?

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 01:39 PM
What in the hell happened to the page count?

A refresh

Jdallas
11-09-2006, 02:39 PM
If we do make the Playoffs we probably won't be able to get Blalock. Hopefully that's the case.

Even if for some reason we don't think we can get him where we're picking I think we would easily be in position to trade up to get him. OGs don't usually go until sometime after 25 and we should have ammunition to move up because by the time the draft comes around we shouldn't have any pressing needs that we need to address on draft day so we can trade some picks. All our draft picks couldn't make our team last year and it should be even tough this year so I think at some point we need to trade up for higher picks.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
What do you guys think of Parcells drafts since being here. It seems he has unbelievable draft every other year:

2003 - Terrence Newman, Bradie James, Al Johnson, Jason Witten, guys who are the heart of the team now. Al Johnson I think is still a good players. A

2004 - Julius Jones and Patrick Crayton are the only players left from that draft. I'm not even gonna talk about Jacob Rogers and Peterman. D

2005 - Demarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Kevin Burnett, Chris Canty, Jay Ratliff, Marion Barber, nough said. A++

2006 - First two picks have been a disappointment so far. Stanley cut. Hatcher has been OK. Skyler cut then changed positions. Jury is out on Watkins. And I have heard little from Whitley or McQistan. C-

If the pattern continues, hopefully April will very fulfilling.

Poet3334
11-09-2006, 03:23 PM
I still think it's a little early to evaulate this draft.

nrcirc
11-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I still think it's a little early to evaulate this draft.

Agree. But it is a"F" to me.

Poet3334
11-09-2006, 04:23 PM
If I had to give it a grade so far it would be an incomplete. There are too many unknown variables to grade it properly. Carpenter has barely gotten on the field, and when he does he doesn't distinguish himself. Skyler was cut then brought back, and he's not showing the burst he showed at LSU. Watkins has taken his lumps. Hatcher, who I wish would get more run, as vast potential.

Jdallas
11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
If I had to give it a grade so far it would be an incomplete. There are too many unknown variables to grade it properly. Carpenter has barely gotten on the field, and when he does he doesn't distinguish himself. Skyler was cut then brought back, and he's not showing the burst he showed at LSU. Watkins has taken his lumps. Hatcher, who I wish would get more run, as vast potential.

In his press conference today Parcells said he wants to start using Hatcher to give Ware some relief in the nickel. For how much everyone hated him when he was picked, I think Hatcher has really come along nicely.

BX
11-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Sweet Jesus, I actually took time out of my day to get caught up on the Cowboys thread.

Now it's all gone. Jesus.

Poet3334
11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
We're trying to get it back to its lofty status.

BX
11-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Won't happen at this rate.

Jdallas
11-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Won't happen at this rate.

It's slow today, but I wouldn't worry about it. Once something worth discussing comes up this thread can get close to 10 pages in a day.

Do you guys think Coleman is going to turn it around at FS or we will bring Watkins back after the Indy game?

With how Coleman played last year I don't think he's going to be able to handle the job and if we can get the same production out of Watkins we might as well have him get some experience. He was in position a lot of the time he just seemed to have trouble finding/attacking the ball. I think he would also be better just playing on the nickel like most of us thought during training camp. He's just a rookie so don't give him too much at once, plus Davis is a good run stopping FS.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 08:03 PM
I really think Watkins could be the future for us at FS. He just really lacks experience, and it does look like he is playing hard. He really looked as if he was upset with himself during that Philly game when he gave up those big plays, so he knows he could play better. So I wouldn't mine seeing him out there again. Plus it's not everyday you find a 6'5 free safety who runs in the 4.40's

Staubach12
11-09-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm torn at FS. I need to see more of Watkins, and then I'll be ready to say if we have a FS. The first few games, Watkins looked good, then a few bad games. He has the tools, but the mental aspect of the game is huge, and I need to see him play more to know if he has an NFL mind. About Davis, I know he's a good runstopping FS, but that is NOT what we need. We need a cover guy. For me, it's all about complimenting Roy Williams, and we need to have a guy back there that can cover like a corner.

Staubach12
11-09-2006, 09:40 PM
PS

Guys, we need to keep this thread up. We need to dominate the team threads like we used to. Let's get it done.

Pokeys
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm torn at FS. I need to see more of Watkins, and then I'll be ready to say if we have a FS. The first few games, Watkins looked good, then a few bad games. He has the tools, but the mental aspect of the game is huge, and I need to see him play more to know if he has an NFL mind. About Davis, I know he's a good runstopping FS, but that is NOT what we need. We need a cover guy. For me, it's all about complimenting Roy Williams, and we need to have a guy back there that can cover like a corner.

Keep an eye on a player like Dashon Goldson CB/FS for Washington. If Pat Watkins shows signs that he can be our future at Free Safety but doesnt make it totally clear than we should draft a mid round player like Goldson the guy is a solid cover player and can play either Cornerback of Free Safety which is a valuable thing in my opinion. If Watkins doesnt show signs of improvement by the end of the year than we probably should look at drafting a Free Safety early. Either way I think we should draft a free safety. Im a huge fan of Goldson...

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I still have hopes for Watkins.

just trying to get our post count up, were getting beat by the RAIDERS!!

Staubach12
11-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Keep an eye on a player like Dashon Goldson CB/FS for Washington. If Pat Watkins shows signs that he can be our future at Free Safety but doesnt make it totally clear than we should draft a mid round player like Goldson the guy is a solid cover player and can play either Cornerback of Free Safety which is a valuable thing in my opinion. If Watkins doesnt show signs of improvement by the end of the year than we probably should look at drafting a Free Safety early. Either way I think we should draft a free safety. Im a huge fan of Goldson...

I don't think we should look FS in the middle rounds. We did that, and we have Watkins. If Watkins doesn't work out, it needs to be an early pick. That being said, I'm not going to be so quick to write Watkins off. I think he needs another year. So I say wait one more year to see if Watkins works out, if not, we should nab a FS in an early round in '08.

Pokeys
11-09-2006, 09:51 PM

I don't think we should look FS in the middle rounds. We did that, and we have Watkins. If Watkins doesn't work out, it needs to be an early pick. That being said, I'm not going to be so quick to write Watkins off. I think he needs another year. So I say wait one more year to see if Watkins works out, if not, we should nab a FS in an early round in '08.

Yeah thats pretty much what I said. Why would it be such a bad thing drafting a FS/CB in the middle rounds if we didnt know what Watkins may become. And then in the following year if we know for a fact that he isnt the answer well than we can go top FS in 08 and move Watkins to backup FS and Goldson to cornerback in a position where we are lacking some youth.

LSUALUM99
11-09-2006, 09:54 PM
No one should write off any player in the NFL after 1 year. Regardless of the results.

Peyton Manning year 1 = 27 interceptions.
Aikman 0-11 record.

Etc.

Also, you can't grade a draft within 3 years. How many times have you seen a guy that comes in his rookie year to dominate, only to have a sophmore slump? It happens all the time. The bottom line is that in year 3 is when you know if a guy can play or not, regardless of the position. I'll take the player that rides the pine the first year, contributes some the second and has a solid 3rd year over a guy that does well in year 1, gets worse in year 2 and shows no improvement in year 3. I'll the first guy all day long.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Well let's just say i did the grading on based immediate and helpful impact then.

Pokeys
11-09-2006, 10:01 PM
No one should write off any player in the NFL after 1 year. Regardless of the results.

Peyton Manning year 1 = 27 interceptions.
Aikman 0-11 record.

Etc.

Also, you can't grade a draft within 3 years. How many times have you seen a guy that comes in his rookie year to dominate, only to have a sophmore slump? It happens all the time. The bottom line is that in year 3 is when you know if a guy can play or not, regardless of the position. I'll take the player that rides the pine the first year, contributes some the second and has a solid 3rd year over a guy that does well in year 1, gets worse in year 2 and shows no improvement in year 3. I'll the first guy all day long.

Thats exactly true. People now a days seem so eager to write of players and call them busts and what not because they havent had a huge impact or such. I mean alot of people are calling Carpenter a bust which is pretty ********. Give it 3 years before you call them a bust, but you can tell if they are making improvements or not and thats the big thing.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Alright Pokeys I been wanting to ask for awhile. Since I haven't been here that long, so I might have missed something, but who is that in your avatar?

Pokeys
11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Alright Pokeys I been wanting to ask for awhile. Since I haven't been here that long, so I might have missed something, but who is that in your avatar?

Heheh, Well if I told you that then id have to kill you...

No just kidding haha, its a friend of mine living on the UT campus. She did it as a joke and it looks freaking hot...

LSUALUM99
11-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Here's a news story that isn't getting alot of press.

Everyone thinks that Parcells didn't want TO and Jerry did. There really hasn't been any indication that this is the case at all. They've both been on the same page from Day 1 about TO. So I think that is probably a false rumor.

The story that hasn't gotten any press that intrigues me alot is the Drew Bledsoe v. Romo issue as it pertains to Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells.

Here are the things that make me say hmmmmmmm.....

Tony Romo is brought in during BP's first year along with Henson in BP's second year. BP immediately seems to take a disliking to Henson, but seems to favor Romo. JJ's boy is definitely Henson. BP sticks with Testeverde almost out of SPITE by not getting Henson any real playing time even when the cowboys are out of the playoff race.

The cowboys bring in Bledsoe and stick with Romo and Henson as the backups. Romo is BP's guy, Henson is JJ's. The question is then, is Bledsoe BP's guy or JJ's. I used to think it was BP's but I think maybe JJ wanted him just as bad if not worse b/c JJ knows that having a 'name' at QB is good for a franchise. JJ hates the idea of rebuilding. BP knew that transitioning to a 3-4 was rebuilding and yet he brought in Bledsoe? Hmm....

Cowboys are criticized for not drafting a QB and for not playing Henson. Yet, in 2005 Romo takes over the #2 spot. Henson is essentially shown the door by year end in 2005. (now here's where my 'grassy knoll theory' starts to take shape). BP knows he's stuck with Bledsoe because JJ doesn't want to 'throw away 2006' by going to the 'rookie' QB to start the season. BP gets irritated, thinks of retiring. JJ and BP have a 'sit down' meeting where BP basically says that Romo should start. JJ thinks Bledsoe is the way to go. BP and JJ come to a compromise, where JJ says 'look, we'll go with Bledsoe to start, but if he struggles we'll go with Romo'. As part of this compromise, BP convinces JJ that he needs 1 more year to make this work, so JJ gives him an extension through 2007. BP likes this idea because he figures Romo will play alot in 2006 (knowing that Bledsoe will struggle and Romo will be playing by mid-season). He also knows that first time starters may struggle too. BP is, despite the mass theories, setting up the team to be contenders in 2006, but knows that 2007 is the SUPER BOWL year.

Fast forward to NFL DRAFT 2006. BP builds the defense, knowing that with a young QB he'll need a dominant defense to minimize the chances the QB will have to take.

Training camp. Rumors fly from Peter King that Romo will be the starter in 2006. King is a good friend of BP. BP plants this seed knowing that it makes the QB switch easier mid season. BP knew going into the season that Bledsoe wasn't going to take him to the super bowl. BP also had to appease JJ by not 'throwing away 2006' and honoring his compromise with JJ. BP also knows that once the change is made, his plan is in motion. After the switch BP is rejuvinated b/c everything has worked perfectly and he sees 2007 as the SUPER BOWL year.

BP will be back in 2007, I guarantee it.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Here's a news story that isn't getting alot of press.

Everyone thinks that Parcells didn't want TO and Jerry did. There really hasn't been any indication that this is the case at all. They've both been on the same page from Day 1 about TO. So I think that is probably a false rumor.

The story that hasn't gotten any press that intrigues me alot is the Drew Bledsoe v. Romo issue as it pertains to Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells.

Here are the things that make me say hmmmmmmm.....

Tony Romo is brought in during BP's first year along with Henson in BP's second year. BP immediately seems to take a disliking to Henson, but seems to favor Romo. JJ's boy is definitely Henson. BP sticks with Testeverde almost out of SPITE by not getting Henson any real playing time even when the cowboys are out of the playoff race.

The cowboys bring in Bledsoe and stick with Romo and Henson as the backups. Romo is BP's guy, Henson is JJ's. The question is then, is Bledsoe BP's guy or JJ's. I used to think it was BP's but I think maybe JJ wanted him just as bad if not worse b/c JJ knows that having a 'name' at QB is good for a franchise. JJ hates the idea of rebuilding. BP knew that transitioning to a 3-4 was rebuilding and yet he brought in Bledsoe? Hmm....

Cowboys are criticized for not drafting a QB and for not playing Henson. Yet, in 2005 Romo takes over the #2 spot. Henson is essentially shown the door by year end in 2005. (now here's where my 'grassy knoll theory' starts to take shape). BP knows he's stuck with Bledsoe because JJ doesn't want to 'throw away 2006' by going to the 'rookie' QB to start the season. BP gets irritated, thinks of retiring. JJ and BP have a 'sit down' meeting where BP basically says that Romo should start. JJ thinks Bledsoe is the way to go. BP and JJ come to a compromise, where JJ says 'look, we'll go with Bledsoe to start, but if he struggles we'll go with Romo'. As part of this compromise, BP convinces JJ that he needs 1 more year to make this work, so JJ gives him an extension through 2007. BP likes this idea because he figures Romo will play alot in 2006 (knowing that Bledsoe will struggle and Romo will be playing by mid-season). He also knows that first time starters may struggle too. BP is, despite the mass theories, setting up the team to be contenders in 2006, but knows that 2007 is the SUPER BOWL year.

Fast forward to NFL DRAFT 2006. BP builds the defense, knowing that with a young QB he'll need a dominant defense to minimize the chances the QB will have to take.

Training camp. Rumors fly from Peter King that Romo will be the starter in 2006. King is a good friend of BP. BP plants this seed knowing that it makes the QB switch easier mid season. BP knew going into the season that Bledsoe wasn't going to take him to the super bowl. BP also had to appease JJ by not 'throwing away 2006' and honoring his compromise with JJ. BP also knows that once the change is made, his plan is in motion. After the switch BP is rejuvinated b/c everything has worked perfectly and he sees 2007 as the SUPER BOWL year.

BP will be back in 2007, I guarantee it.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Ahhh, So Tony Romo killed JFK.

LSUALUM99
11-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Ahhh, So Tony Romo killed JFK.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Romo plays in Dallas and JFK was killed in Dallas? Hmmmmm.......

FinChase
11-09-2006, 10:23 PM
What happened to the thread????

Your theory is interesting, LSU. I think Parcells will want to see this Romo "experiment" through. I think he'll be back next year.

FinChase
11-09-2006, 10:28 PM
If the draft were held tomorrow...

1) Best OT or OG available - I'd be very happy w/Blalock
2) OG - that line still needs a lot of help
3) BPA - preferably either a FS, speedy WR or good NT

Those are my thoughts as to where we need the most help. Oh yeah, and maybe a good kicker too, but I doubt we'd ever draft one.

TheBoss
11-09-2006, 10:32 PM

Those are my thoughts as to where we need the most help. Oh yeah, and maybe a good kicker too, but I doubt we'd ever draft one.

Welcome to the club. That's the exact list I have in mind.

D-Unit
11-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Love the theory LSU! If I were teaching Creative Writing you'd get an A+. haha jk. It's interesting, but that's too much for me to buy.

I do believe BP will be back. I think he's planning to win the SB this year. Whether he does or not is irrelevant, but I honestly bellieve he's planning and playing this game to win now.

D-Unit
11-09-2006, 10:43 PM

I have Vince Manuwai on my mind.

Modano
11-10-2006, 12:30 AM

And only because he's from Honolulu :P

Jdallas
11-10-2006, 12:41 AM

And only because he's from Honolulu :P

Blalock is Larry Allen except Allen could play LT as well.

fryman
11-10-2006, 12:42 AM

I would say Blalock or bust for OG. OT seems to be quite a bit deeper than OG at this point, so I would feel safer waiting for an tackle.

after that I think the biggest need would be an NT. I must admit I don't know much about them for this draft. Anybody know some good NTs that would be around in the 3rd or 4th round?

For WR I am going to be a homer and say we should look at Laurent Robinson late in the draft. Really I know we have several recievers that are similar type receivers, but when ever I watch him I cant help think Larry Fitzgerald. This is a guy that could have easily shot up in the draft had he been healthy this year.

One thing i don't like is our running back situation. I like Jones as the feature back, and Thompson for his kickoff returns. I also think Barber is a solid number two and third down back. The problem I have with this is I would like a better power runner somewhere in there. Barber runs hard, but I wouldn't really consider him a power back. I feel like we are locked into this running back group though, I doubt Barber goes anywhere. I would love to get Brian Leonard at FB though. After watching him tonight I would have no problem trusting him to block, and he he has shown he can run the ball and catch as well. He would be a damn good 3rd down back himself.

Jdallas
11-10-2006, 12:50 AM

I would say Blalock or bust for OG. OT seems to be quite a bit deeper than OG at this point, so I would feel safer waiting for an tackle.

after that I think the biggest need would be an NT. I must admit I don't know much about them for this draft. Anybody know some good NTs that would be around in the 3rd or 4th round?

For WR I am going to be a homer and say we should look at Laurent Robinson late in the draft. Really I know we have several recievers that are similar type receivers, but when ever I watch him I cant help think Larry Fitzgerald. This is a guy that could have easily shot up in the draft had he been healthy this year.

One thing i don't like is our running back situation. I like Jones as the feature back, and Thompson for his kickoff returns. I also think Barber is a solid number two and third down back. The problem I have with this is I would like a better power runner somewhere in there. Barber runs hard, but I wouldn't really consider him a power back. I feel like we are locked into this running back group though, I doubt Barber goes anywhere. I would love to get Brian Leonard at FB though. After watching him tonight I would have no problem trusting him to block, and he he has shown he can run the ball and catch as well. He would be a damn good 3rd down back himself.

I think I really have a different opinion on a NT than everyone else. Instead of getting a big guy like Ferguson, I think we should get a Glover type player. Probably not that small, but what I mean is an average-sized guy who is quick and has high energy. He would maybe rotate a couple series a game in the base defense and also play a lot in the nickel. It would allow for more pass rush out of the base set, create different mismatches, and also allow us to change to the nickel defense easier.

Ferguson has some tread left on his tires so I think we should find a compliment for him and then look for a replacement next year or in the future.

TH3
11-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Justin Blalock in the 1st
Aaron Rouse in the 2nd
Mason Crosby in the 3rd
Kareem Brown in the 4th
Corey Hilliard in the 5th
Tyler Palko in the 6th
Ryan Moore in the 7th

Ward
11-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Justin Blalock in the 1st
Aaron Rouse in the 2nd
Mason Crosby in the 3rd
Kareem Brown in the 4th
Corey Hilliard in the 5th
Tyler Palko in the 6th
Ryan Moore in the 7th

Rouse is a poor man's Roy Williams. We've got the real deal, why would we want one more crappy safety who'd have to play out of position to go with Coleman and Davis? Mason Crosby does what for us? Kick-offs? We gonna cut Vanderjagt and owe him all that money and have a cap penalty just for a kicker?

M.O.T.H.
11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
So, Tony Romo went on a date with Jessica Simpson last night.............

That's my boy. :D

TheBoss
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
So, Tony Romo went on a date with Jessica Simpson last night.............

That's my boy. :D

He is fittin that Dallas Cowboys QB image very well. :D

Jdallas
11-10-2006, 10:15 PM
With Glenn apparantly out for the game, I think we should throw Hurd a few balls early to help loosen up the Arizona defense. Without Glenn to scare people we need to manufacture fear in the secondary so our running game can continue to be successful.

TheBoss
11-10-2006, 10:22 PM
With Glenn apparantly out for the game, I think we should throw Hurd a few balls early to help loosen up the Arizona defense. Without Glenn to scare people we need to manufacture fear in the secondary so our running game can continue to be successful.

Be a good time to see hurd get some time on the field. And see if if Crayton can step up and if he can be that 2nd receiver. Looking foward to it.

Staubach12
11-11-2006, 12:09 AM
No, I don't think we need to have Crayton at two. We need to see what Hurd can do. I need to know if Romo's connection with Hurd will continue in the regular season. I agree that we need to throw to him early. He's an undrafted FA, so the defense is going to be all about TO, and we need to establish that Hurd is a weapon early to open up TO and the run game.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I agree. I do like how Romo seems to spread the ball around. Quick reads and decisions are key, and Romo makes them. To me, Hurd showed that he has the ability to find the holes and get open. I'm looking forward to seeing him Sunday.

$KidCowboy$
11-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I also hope that Austin gets some snaps at WR if he's active and returning kicks. I watched him some in college and he was dominant.
BTW, his one high-school kickoff return was a touchdown.

Staubach12
11-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I also hope that Austin gets some snaps at WR if he's active and returning kicks. I watched him some in college and he was dominant.

I'm very confused about Austin. Coming in to training camp everyone thought he would be our best UFA. He was very highly touted and we thought he would be the Sam Hurd of training camp. But when we got into training camp and the preseason, Sam Hurd made a lot of noise. Austin did practically nothing. So then when cuts came, Austin made the team. So, is he the highly touted guy that came in tho training camp, or the one that had no impact coming out? So, I'd like to see him in the game, too. I want to know what we've got with him.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
He did score on that touchdown pass from Romo in the Saints game. He's got good measurerables and good speed. Plus, he's one of those gritty small school guys from up north. Let's hope he pans out like Marques Colston.

FinChase
11-11-2006, 12:33 PM

I'm very confused about Austin. Coming in to training camp everyone thought he would be our best UFA. He was very highly touted and we thought he would be the Sam Hurd of training camp. But when we got into training camp and the preseason, Sam Hurd made a lot of noise. Austin did practically nothing. So then when cuts came, Austin made the team. So, is he the highly touted guy that came in tho training camp, or the one that had no impact coming out? So, I'd like to see him in the game, too. I want to know what we've got with him.

I read somewhere that the main reason the Cowboys kept both Hurd and Austin was that they knew for certain that other teams would pick them up immediately if they cut them. My impression is that they must have seen something they liked in Austin, but he's behind Hurd in development. If you remember, a couple of years ago Terrance Copper seemed ahead of Patrick Crayton for most of their rookie year. But seemingly by the end of the year and definitely by the beginning of their 2nd year, Crayton had surpassed Copper. Maybe it will be that way with Hurd and Austin, although I do like Hurd.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Good point. I'm anxious to see what we have.

TheBoss
11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I read somewhere that the main reason the Cowboys kept both Hurd and Austin was that they knew for certain that other teams would pick them up immediately if they cut them. My impression is that they must have seen something they liked in Austin, but he's behind Hurd in development. If you remember, a couple of years ago Terrance Copper seemed ahead of Patrick Crayton for most of their rookie year. But seemingly by the end of the year and definitely by the beginning of their 2nd year, Crayton had surpassed Copper. Maybe it will be that way with Hurd and Austin, although I do like Hurd.

Hopefully both guys can develop into good players. I'm not sure about #1 WR material, but hey, that's what they said about Chad Johnson, Marques Colston and so forth. Guys that are built from that same mold.

I know I might get flamed for this, and I know it is a overrated stat. But I just want to know. But does anybody know the 40 times for both Hurd and Austin?

FinChase
11-11-2006, 12:50 PM

Hopefully both guys can develop into good players. I'm not sure about #1 WR material, but hey, that's what they said about Chad Johnson, Marques Colston and so forth. Guys that are built from that same mold.

I know I might get flamed for this, and I know it is a overrated stat. But I just want to know. But does anybody know the 40 times for both Hurd and Austin?

According to the 2006 NFL Combine site, Austin's time was 4.47. Apparently Hurd wasn't invited to the combine.

cowboyz
11-11-2006, 01:26 PM
with the news of glenn's knee hopefully BP will move up in the draft to get ted ginn.

our oline is fine, they just need to play together longer. so draft a G in the 2nd round to replace rivera when he retires. i really wish they had drafted o'callaghan this year.

i'm more worried about the NT position. if ferguson goes down, he takes down the entire defense.

i don't see hurd doing too well, he just looks like a crayton clone. no quickness. don't get me wrong, crayton has great hands, but he's not a game breaker like glenn

Ward
11-11-2006, 02:05 PM
i'm more worried about the NT position. if ferguson goes down, he takes down the entire defense.

I've been trying to point this out for months now. At every other position on defense we have a suitable, even decent backup. Not at NT. Ferguson goes down, and we're boned. Getting a NT via the draft or FA is CRUCIAL.

Staubach12
11-11-2006, 03:04 PM

I've been trying to point this out for months now. At every other position on defense we have a suitable, even decent backup. Not at NT. Ferguson goes down, and we're boned. Getting a NT via the draft or FA is CRUCIAL.

I know, that's what I was saying after we cut Stanley. He turned out to be nothing, and we have nobody. The 07 draft isn't exactly busting at the seams with them, either. It doesn't look good if Fergeson goes down. We also need a future there. Fergeson is 32. He'll start declining, and we'll need a guy who can take over for a defense that will be in it's prime. About the draft... There's Amobi Okoye, and posibly DeMarcus Tyler who could fit that role. I don't really see anybody in Free Agency who would even fit in the 3-4. It's not a good year to need a NT.

Staubach12
11-11-2006, 03:12 PM
i don't see hurd doing too well, he just looks like a crayton clone. no quickness. don't get me wrong, crayton has great hands, but he's not a game breaker like glenn

Hurd has more quickness than Crayton. He's not the most atheletic presence on the feild, but he's got good quickness and agility for his speed. Plus, Hurd has great hands.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I think you have good fits on the field with Owens being the gamebreaker(hopefully) and two targets like Crayton and Hurd who can make the difficult catch. While it's not been proven with Hurd yet, he has that potential. Crayton is more of the known commodity.

Jdallas
11-11-2006, 03:55 PM

Austin performed well in training camp and showed a lot of potential, but the Cowboys were hoping to get him onto the practice squad so he got very few reps in the preseason. Other teams obviously saw the potential as well and there was at least 1 team in the NFL that had a roster spot they could spend on a developmental guy. Austin probably won't have an impact on offense until next season, he just needs to become a more polished WR.

scoopdawg
11-11-2006, 05:11 PM

Austin performed well in training camp and showed a lot of potential, but the Cowboys were hoping to get him onto the practice squad so he got very few reps in the preseason. Other teams obviously saw the potential as well and there was at least 1 team in the NFL that had a roster spot they could spend on a developmental guy. Austin probably won't have an impact on offense until next season, he just needs to become a more polished WR.
Austin seemed overated from the start and was overshadowed by rector and hurd which are way better than Austin

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't think it was a question of Austin being shown up. I think it was more Bill playing Rector giving him more opportunites to prove his abilities. By and large Rector performed well. Hurd was a find, completely unexpected. He even began to show on special teams which Parcells deemed necessary for him to remain on the roster. I believe Austin has ability. If he didn't, he would have been gone, and we would have ourselves an additional roster spot. I think he just needs an opportunity. Maybe this is it.

bigbluedefense
11-11-2006, 05:29 PM
If DeMarcus Ware doesn't get 2 sacks against the Arizona Oline, then something is seriously wrong. Ive been backing him up in the Merriman debate, but if he comes out looking average against the Cardinals, then maybe the separation between the 2 is bigger than we think.

All in all, this is obviously a must win. I think you guys can go 9-7 at worst this season, which leaves no room for error. If this game is a loss, pack it up because the season is over.

I wouldn't count out the Cardinals either. They do have a good defense. A couple of turnovers, and this thing could get interesting. I have a feeling though that Dallas is gonna want revenge against poor surfer boy Matt Leinart.

But I want to see more out of Ware. He's not doing what he's capable of doing. He needs to step it up.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Agreed. I would love to see him in better positions to cause havoc against the quarterback. Move him around a little just to mix things up.

bigbluedefense
11-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Agreed. I would love to see him in better positions to cause havoc against the quarterback. Move him around a little just to mix things up.

Yup. Im putting some of it on the coaching staff too for not being creative with him. Parcells needs to mix it up with him more.

But even then, he should do more than he has. He didn't abuse Carolina's mediocre tackles at all, in fact they worked him. Its like he plays down to his competition. And his pass rush techniques need alot of refinement. He either does an all out speed rush or an all out bullrush. He's still unpolished.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 05:44 PM
That line was the same one that he abused last year. I think it's strictly the scheme. He's got a lot on his plate AND he's always in the game. Because of it, I don't think he's got sufficient energy to rush the passer the way that he needs to.

bigbluedefense
11-11-2006, 05:54 PM
That line was the same one that he abused last year. I think it's strictly the scheme. He's got a lot on his plate AND he's always in the game. Because of it, I don't think he's got sufficient energy to rush the passer the way that he needs to.

Yeah, I have to say that Im disappointed in Parcells use of Ware. It seems like I see Ellis get more favorable matchups in this scheme compared to Ware. Ware can play inside on some plays if need be, but all Parcells does is line him up at WILL or DE. They don't even use any delayed blitzes, or stunt blitzes. And even after all of that, the defense is still scary.

I remember him saying that he studied tape of Freeney and Derrick Thomas in the offseason and worked on the spin move and other techniques to rush the passer. Was he lying? He barely uses any technique to his pass rush, its like hes trying to physically outperform the other guy. He doesn't set anyone up. He just goes and does what he does. I think not having a 3-4 DC is hindering his growth. Its ultimately a Parcells scheme, but he can't expend all his energy teaching his defense, thats the DC's job. And the DC doesn't know the defense well enough to properly teach these young guys. I think thats part of the reason why we're seeing a lack of progression from guys like Ware and Spears.

fryman
11-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I don't think it was a question of Austin being shown up. I think it was more Bill playing Rector giving him more opportunites to prove his abilities. By and large Rector performed well. Hurd was a find, completely unexpected. He even began to show on special teams which Parcells deemed necessary for him to remain on the roster. I believe Austin has ability. If he didn't, he would have been gone, and we would have ourselves an additional roster spot. I think he just needs an opportunity. Maybe this is it.

Hurd wasn't really unexpected. There are plenty of people that saw this type of play coming. When Austin and Hurd were both signed everybody was only talking about Austin though. At that same time I posted something about Hurd and to watch out for him, and only got one response. For some reason people on this board just knew more about Austin.

Staubach12
11-11-2006, 05:56 PM
As far as mixing it up with the entire defense, why not put Ellis' hand down every now and then? Turn into a 4-3 to keep the defense off it's heels.

LE:Greg Ellis
DT:Marcus Spears
DT:Jason Fergeson
RE:Chris Canty

LOLB:Akin Adoyele
MLB:Bradie James
ROLB:DeMarcus Ware

Jdallas
11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
As far as mixing it up with the entire defense, why not put Ellis' hand down every now and then? Turn into a 4-3 to keep the defense off it's heels.

LE:Greg Ellis
DT:Marcus Spears
DT:Jason Fergeson
RE:Chris Canty

LOLB:Akin Adoyele
MLB:Bradie James
ROLB:DeMarcus Ware

Ellis does get to put his hand on the ground in the nickel. I don't think switching formations is the right way to go about it. If Ellis is rushing from the 3-4, everyone basically has the responsibilities as they would in a 4-3, but they have the advantage of not showing it pre-snap.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I agree Staubach. Show some flexibilty. You can even use Hatcher at RE inplace of Canty since he shows more explosive pass rush ability. I just want to see some serious pressure and confusion on the other side.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 06:05 PM

Hurd wasn't really unexpected. There are plenty of people that saw this type of play coming. When Austin and Hurd were both signed everybody was only talking about Austin though. At that same time I posted something about Hurd and to watch out for him, and only got one response. For some reason people on this board just knew more about Austin.

I believe it was the fact that Austin attended Monmouth in New Jersey. Parcells loves those gritty small school sleeper types. Couple that with the fact that he has good size and speedl. Many people try to target their own "sleeper guy". Austin was that one.

Burns336
11-11-2006, 06:57 PM
we've been getting away from giving julius a chance to control the pace of our ball games. I really hope against arizona, we try and get him at least 25 carries and get barber somwhere around 10. I think if we are in the position to give 35 or more carries to jones and barber, we should be able to win the game. I think T.O. should be able to man handle rolle, who doesnt have the speed to keep up with him and we should be able to find mismatches with witten. The only real thing that scares me in this game is that Matt Leinart has looked good when he has both Boldin and Fitz, which he will have for this game. I just hope Henry plays physical enough to disrupt routes and newman doesnt get overpowered by either one of the bigger recievers, which i dont think he will but he is well over due to give up a touch down :lol: In regards to what Big Blue said, this really is a game where we need to have 5 or more sacks. We have weapons in Ware and Ellis and if we cant find a way to get atleast 3 sacks between them as well as a few from the line, than i think we have a bigger problem than we thought. REMEMBER, Ware will be matched up on Leinarts good side, since matt is a Lefty so look for Ellis to try and have a feild day attacking from the blind side of this poor O-line.

I usually dont like to make predictions, but i do see us winning this one by more than a little bit. I would view it as a trap game if we had beat Washington but now we have our backs against the wall and the team knows we cant afford to lose more than a game or two the rest of the way out. Im looking for a big win here and hopefully some momentum we can carry over to Indy and show everyone that we are better than we have played so far.

Burns336
11-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Say hello to Pat Watkins being back in our FS mix with Keith Davis. We cut Coleman after he got arrested for a DUI the other night..... what a bum, bill gave him another chance and he does that ****...

Jdallas
11-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Say hello to Pat Watkins being back in our FS mix with Keith Davis. We cut Coleman after he got arrested for a DUI the other night..... what a bum, bill gave him another chance and he does that ***********...

Him being released now is the best thing for us right now. He was average at best and obviously doesn't care enough about football to not go out and get drunk a couple days before a game.

I hope Watkins worked on judging and breaking up passes while he was benched.

M.O.T.H.
11-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I really do not want to see a lot of Watkins these next two games. Two pass heavy teams that could both throw it deep to a plethera of weapons. Doesnt seem like a favorable match up for him, given how his season has turned out.

TheBoss
11-11-2006, 08:27 PM
I see what you mean, but Keith Davis is not exactly Champ Bailey out there ethier. If Watkins can go out there against the Cards with a rookie QB, I would like to see what he can do.

But Jesus imagine him against the Colts. Peyton will have a field day.

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 08:59 PM
We'll just have to take our chances. Maybe he's learned to pick up the ball better in practice.

dpl85
11-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Here's the story on Marcus Coleman. What an idiot!

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/111206cowcoleman.2a4175fa.html

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=D977794B-0435-23D9-88BC61EA85897936

Poet3334
11-11-2006, 09:58 PM
He's got a serious problem. I hope he takes care of it.

Burns336
11-11-2006, 10:38 PM
yeah i dont know about this colts game coming up. I would love for us to be the ones who ended their run, but the more and more i think about it i just dont see how we can win with our safety issues. If we we a team who could generate a ton of pressure than i wouldnt be as worried but with Peytons line playing how it is and our pass rush being in the middle of the pack as far as the league goes i dont know what we can do. Maybe put Reeves at FS to primarily play the pass? I mean, Pat and Keith are good in run support but i dont think that will be a problem against the colts. I know reeves is unfamiliar with the position but just to have someone back their for double teams on Wayne would be a huge help if we could make it work. We know its going to be a pass heavy day against our secondary with Glenn, Newman, and Henry covering recievers on a majority of the plays, so we may as well try something.

However, if they go into a 4 reciever set, which is highly likely, we are going to need to place either Watkins or davis back there and bring Reeves up to play a reciever (if we even opt to do something along the lines of my idea) and that makes me scared. Davis hasnt given anything up since he came in but he hasnt had any real threats. No santana moss and T-New pretty much has Steve smiths number, so its hard to judge if hes made any progess in passing situations.

At least we should be able to run all over the colts and that should open up alot of play action...

At this point im stuck at coming up with new ideas, but i would love to hear any crazy ideas that others have on how we could handle this game.

Staubach12
11-12-2006, 12:39 AM
yeah i dont know about this colts game coming up. I would love for us to be the ones who ended their run, but the more and more i think about it i just dont see how we can win with our safety issues. If we we a team who could generate a ton of pressure than i wouldnt be as worried but with Peytons line playing how it is and our pass rush being in the middle of the pack as far as the league goes i dont know what we can do. Maybe put Reeves at FS to primarily play the pass? I mean, Pat and Keith are good in run support but i dont think that will be a problem against the colts. I know reeves is unfamiliar with the position but just to have someone back their for double teams on Wayne would be a huge help if we could make it work. We know its going to be a pass heavy day against our secondary with Glenn, Newman, and Henry covering recievers on a majority of the plays, so we may as well try something.

However, if they go into a 4 reciever set, which is highly likely, we are going to need to place either Watkins or davis back there and bring Reeves up to play a reciever (if we even opt to do something along the lines of my idea) and that makes me scared. Davis hasnt given anything up since he came in but he hasnt had any real threats. No santana moss and T-New pretty much has Steve smiths number, so its hard to judge if hes made any progess in passing situations.

At least we should be able to run all over the colts and that should open up alot of play action...

At this point im stuck at coming up with new ideas, but i would love to hear any crazy ideas that others have on how we could handle this game.

Keep in mind that in the past, the Colts offensive line has had some problems with 3-4 teams. I think if we try and do some of the same things that the Steelers did in the playoffs last year, we have a chance.

TheBoss
11-12-2006, 01:01 AM

Keep in mind that in the past, the Colts offensive line has had some problems with 3-4 teams. I think if we try and do some of the same things that the Steelers did in the playoffs last year, we have a chance.

I hope so, because Zimmer isn't exactly a Blitzing genius.

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 01:09 AM

I hope so, because Zimmer isn't exactly a Blitzing genius.

The thing to remember is that nobody is going to shut down the Colts' offense. Our offense is good enough to score on them nearly every posession. We only need to beat their defense one more time than they beat ours.

jbsg02
11-12-2006, 01:16 AM
About drafting a NT, I wouldn't spend too high of a pick because if Parcells leaves after this year I'm not so sure we keep the 3-4.

Modano
11-12-2006, 01:32 AM
I really do not want to see a lot of Watkins these next two games. Two pass heavy teams that could both throw it deep to a plethera of weapons. Doesnt seem like a favorable match up for him, given how his season has turned out.

But is Keith Davis better? Maybe the fall of Watkins made us forget how bad is Davis in coverage. I really don't thik he's better than Watkins, he's awful in coverage. Keith is a badass, a special team ace, but he's not a FS.
Watkins had two bad games, but if can play as he did in his first games he's way better than Davis. He has to put those two games behind his shoulders and play with more focus.
I really don't believe that Davis gives us any better chance to defend against a pass happy team. All the Watkins' problems are with his mind, Davis simply hasn't the number to be a cover guy..
For example, if you look at the Burress' TD do you think that Davis could've made that play? If he was here, he would got burned. Watkins had the coverage but for some reason didn't make the play on the ball. I'm sure that Davis would've been zero chances to make any play on the ball because he would've been in position..

BTW, to beat the Colts we have to take Manning out of the field. Long drives, ball control and so on. And when he's on the field we got to use our size. They are an undersized team, Merriman abused them last year. We have to play the way the Jaguars did the last two years. Drop 7 in coverage, let Addai beat you (who is good but he's not what James used to be). We'll win if our ends could take advantage of their size and get penetration. I think we'll se a lot of Ratliff and Hatcher in this game..

D-Unit
11-12-2006, 03:41 AM
Arizona scares me. This looks like trap game to me. I hope I'm wrong.

LSUALUM99
11-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Arizona doesn't scare me one bit.

If the Cowboys lose to Arizona then we had no business thinking playoffs. Their O-Line is terrible, they can't run the ball, they have a rookie QB, and the 26th ranked Defense.

Rex Grossman had about as bad a game as is possible to have for a QB and the Bears still won. That's how bad Arizona is.

Modano
11-12-2006, 07:48 AM
It's only a mine impression, or Bradie James has shown great presence in the passing game? I think that he has relaly upgrade this part of his game, right now he seems to look comfortable in coverage.. He's not fast so he can't match-up with atletic TE, but is playing good in his zone and making some plays.. The one who sucks in coverage is Ayodele, but overall is playing pretty good too..

About our pass rushing, i've noticed that San Diego continues to have sacks even without Castillo, Philipps and Merriman who are their best pass rushers.. So I'n starting think that there's a problem with the scheme not the players..

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 09:43 AM
About drafting a NT, I wouldn't spend too high of a pick because if Parcells leaves after this year I'm not so sure we keep the 3-4.

Jerry has said that he's keeping the 3-4 even when Parcells is gone.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 09:45 AM
It's only a mine impression, or Bradie James has shown great presence in the passing game? I think that he has relaly upgrade this part of his game, right now he seems to look comfortable in coverage.. He's not fast so he can't match-up with atletic TE, but is playing good in his zone and making some plays.. The one who sucks in coverage is Ayodele, but overall is playing pretty good too..

About our pass rushing, i've noticed that San Diego continues to have sacks even without Castillo, Philipps and Merriman who are their best pass rushers.. So I'n starting think that there's a problem with the scheme not the players..

It's really puzzling to me that we don't get more pressure on the quarterback. It seems like our linebackers read and react instead of attack.

LSUALUM99
11-12-2006, 11:14 AM

I can't exactly put my finger on the problem, but it's definitely the scheme. The blitzes all come from the middle, and are never disguised. I am going to pay very close attention this week, but it seems like we almost never stunt on the line either.

Also, some of the criticism of DeMarcus' lack of pass rushing moves is unwarranted and some is warranted. I wish he had a true swim move or a spin move, but if you watch he almost never takes an inside rush. This is by design. DeMarcus very rarely loses containment. He always rushes outside because of this. I wish Akin Ayodele would play a step or two closer to the outside to close the cutback lanes more, but that's another issue.

I'd love to see a 3-4 DC come in here next year with the expectation that when BP retires after the 2007 season that the DC would become the HC.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 12:09 PM

I can't exactly put my finger on the problem, but it's definitely the scheme. The blitzes all come from the middle, and are never disguised. I am going to pay very close attention this week, but it seems like we almost never stunt on the line either.

Also, some of the criticism of DeMarcus' lack of pass rushing moves is unwarranted and some is warranted. I wish he had a true swim move or a spin move, but if you watch he almost never takes an inside rush. This is by design. DeMarcus very rarely loses containment. He always rushes outside because of this. I wish Akin Ayodele would play a step or two closer to the outside to close the cutback lanes more, but that's another issue.

I'd love to see a 3-4 DC come in here next year with the expectation that when BP retires after the 2007 season that the DC would become the HC.

Exactly. I was never really confident that Zimmer was comfortable in this defense. I relied on the fact that Parcells and even Pasqualoni would take more of an active role with the defense.

$KidCowboy$
11-12-2006, 12:11 PM
D-Unit, I've got a bad feeling about this game too. It seems like they've got the weapons. I don't believe that this is a game that we can just go through the motions in.
I hope my feeling is wrong.
We cannot lose games that we're supposed to win anymore. Period.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 01:01 PM
D-Unit, I've got a bad feeling about this game too. It seems like they've got the weapons. I don't believe that this is a game that we can just go through the motions in.
I hope my feeling is wrong.
We cannot lose games that we're supposed to win anymore. Period.

I just want to see us play a smart efficient game. If we do that, we win. I'm not so much worried about their weapons as I am what we do.

TheBoss
11-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Alright understandable Ward. I myself not to worried about the Cards, hopefully the players don't feel the same. Hopefully they are not looking ahead to the colts game. That could be dangerous against a talanted Cards team. But still, not to worried.

Now...First to 100

Ward
11-12-2006, 02:27 PM
First to 100

Please... have some pride. Actually post and get to 100 the right way. We are not a community of post boosters. That being said, I think we should start looking at Day 2 corners. After Glenn, it gets pretty shaky.

draftguru151
11-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I think you guys should look at day 1 corners. You guys don't have a lot of needs and a guy like Fred Bennett or Aaron Ross would be a nice addition.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 02:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2659221

Bad news for Skins fans.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Well it's official the Colts will be unbeaten when they come in to Big D next week.

TheBoss
11-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Well it's official the Colts will be unbeaten when they come in to Big D next week.

God I would love to play spoiler to that.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Sammy Hurd is making his first career start today. :D

TheBoss
11-12-2006, 04:27 PM
ATL lost, so that helps us in our Wildcard looks.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
GREAT catch by Hurd.

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Looks like Davis is staying in on passing downs...

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Anthony Henry burned again

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Great stand on D!!!!!! Good pressure by Ellis and Ware.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
We should be up more than 10 points, we've wasted too many opportunities. Too many penalties, too many drops. The defense isn't playing particularly well even though they only scored 3. We need more consistent pressure on the QB and the secondary needs to make more plays on the ball.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 05:53 PM
We should be up more than 10 points, we've wasted too many opportunities. Too many penalties, too many drops. The defense isn't playing particularly well even though they only scored 3. We need more consistent pressure on the QB and the secondary needs to make more plays on the ball.

It's the same thing every week.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Akin makes his first big play with an INT!

mat33
11-12-2006, 06:17 PM
TO for the TD, I will live with the drops if he makes those types of plays.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
TO with a long TD I'll give him his props he actually caught it this time.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Thank God

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 06:26 PM
What does the injury to Ellis look like?

dpl85
11-12-2006, 06:32 PM
What does the injury to Ellis look like?
It sucks it's an achilles per Cowboys radio broadcast that sounds serious. Pat Watkins had a big INT, I hope he can be a player. Carpenter replaced Ellis. It doesn't look like Ellis can even put weight on the leg.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Man the D sucked on that drive, Roy in particular. There was absolutely no pass rush.

Poet3334
11-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Why did we go for it on 4th down?

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 07:03 PM

So we could cause a fumble and get the ball back 1 & 10 from almost the same spot.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm assuming Bobby Carpenter will replace Ellis now that he's probably out for the year. This is the time for Carpenter to step up and actually earn his paycheck and high draft status.

LSUALUM99
11-12-2006, 07:21 PM

Because we're up 3 scores already. Parcells' won't run up the score on Dennis Green.

TheBoss
11-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm assuming Bobby Carpenter will replace Ellis now that he's probably out for the year. This is the time for Carpenter to step up and actually earn his paycheck and high draft status.

My thoughts exactly. And whats a better test then the colts.

Pokeys
11-12-2006, 07:29 PM
What about Burnett replacing Ellis? Either way that injury sucks.

Another fine game for Romo, penalties killed us although a few of them were shady and the refs missed alot of holding calls on Arizona. Nice walk out of there with the W of course...

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, depending on the outcome of the Carolina game we're tied with 3/4 teams for the 2 wild card spots.

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 07:39 PM
What about Burnett replacing Ellis? Either way that injury sucks.

Another fine game for Romo, penalties killed us although a few of them were shady and the refs missed alot of holding calls on Arizona. Nice walk out of there with the W of course...

I kind of like Burnett in his role.

Singleton/Carpenter should do a pretty good job of replacing Ellis when we're in our base scheme, but the biggest changes will come in the nickel defense.

Will Carpenter just line up at DE? (I don't think he could do it over an entire game)

Move Hatcher to DE (I think we'll do a lot of that, but then we need another nickel DT Kenyon Coleman)

A long shot would be to try Junior Glymph in that role. He would basically take Ellis' spot on the active roster and give us the ability to give Ware a break if we wanted as well.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
I was really impressed with Sam Hurd, Pat Crayton, MB3 and Tony Romo. :D

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure how significant Ellis's injury is, he was seen putting weight on it and walking a bit with his cructhes, I dont think it is season ending. Carp and Hatch rotated when he went down and Carp did show some nice burst IMO. Carp needs to work on wrapping up better, he blew two tackles on kick off.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 08:11 PM
BP said we lost Ellis but, he didnt actually say how significant the injuty was. Did he tear it? If so look for Hatch and Carp to fill in for him.

draftguru151
11-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I hope Ellis can't play any more so Carpenter can get his shot, he is going to be a monster.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure how significant Ellis's injury is, he was seen putting weight on it and walking a bit with his cructhes, I dont think it is season ending. Carp and Hatch rotated when he went down and Carp did show some nice burst IMO. Carp needs to work on wrapping up better, he blew two tackles on kick off.
From all accounts I've seen and heard there's a 99.99% chance Ellis'season is over.

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 08:52 PM
From all accounts I've seen and heard there's a 99.99% chance Ellis'season is over.

If it's a ruptured achilles, will Ellis come back for next season. He has obviously had a big impact on our team this season, but it's a tough injury to come back from and Ellis will be a year older. Carpenter will hopefully be entrenched as a starter.

I would guess it would be up to Ellis, but it would be surprising to see a player of that age put in all that effort in rehab to come back and be a situational pass rusher not making much money.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm sure Carp gets the first nod, he better step up, the same goes for Hatch.

dpl85
11-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Parcells said Ellis has a torn achilles tendon and is out for the year.

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/

CTCowboysFan
11-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I am thinking Ellis won't be back. As in his career is over. Because of his injury he will be out for the year but because he won't want to try and come back from it he will retire. I'll tell ya right now Al Singleton will get some time, so don't just think Carp/Burnett. Also isn't Burnett playing weakside backer this year? I think Singleton will start and Carpenter will see more playing time.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 09:29 PM
I am thinking Ellis won't be back. As in his career is over. Because of his injury he will be out for the year but because he won't want to try and come back from it he will retire. I'll tell ya right now Al Singleton will get some time, so don't just think Carp/Burnett. Also isn't Burnett playing weakside backer this year? I think Singleton will start and Carpenter will see more playing time.

I'm not so sure that singelton will start. Carp came in intially and then Hatcher saw a lot of PT on the strong side. I wouldnt be surprised if Hatch started there.

CTCowboysFan
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm not so sure that singelton will start. Carp came in intially and then Hatcher saw a lot of PT on the strong side. I wouldnt be surprised if Hatch started there.

I just think Parcells will go with the veteran, though the others will see significant time.

TheBoss
11-12-2006, 10:58 PM
God I wish we picked Manny Lawson...

But anyways, what did y'all think of the O-lines' performance today. They were pretty solid, but again the penalties were a pain.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Our line has been playing better since the switch but, you know Romo just makes them that much better. All of a sudden the O-line doesnt look like such an urgent draft/off season need. Honestly, we are stacked we are solid at damn near every position. We are a team with top 5 talent that has just had some bad breaks and I'd say at times underachieved. Now things are finally starting to look up in Big D.

TheBoss
11-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Our line has been playing better since the switch but, you know Romo just makes them that much better. All of a sudden the O-line doesnt look like such an urgent draft/off season need. Honestly, we are stacked we are solid at damn near every position. We are a team with top 5 talent that has just had some bad breaks and I'd say at times underachieved. Now things are finally starting to look up in Big D.

Exactly. And if the score holds up in the Bears and Giants game We have more then a legitimate shot with home-heavy schedule for the rest of the season. But I keep going back to last weeks game and how big it would of been if we did win it like we should. Hope it won't come back and bite us, like the Redskins game last year did.

FinChase
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM

I still think we need to spend some picks early on O-line. Rivera and Adams aren't getting any younger. But unless Blalock (a definite possibility) or Joe Thomas (not gonna happpen) fall into our laps, we could wait until the 2nd round and still get good value. Someone earlier said something about Ted Ginn, which is an idea I really like. Who knows whether Glenn's knee is going to become a chronic problem?

FinChase
11-12-2006, 11:28 PM

Exactly. And if the score holds up in the Bears and Giants game We have more then a legitimate shot with home-heavy schedule for the rest of the season. But I keep going back to last weeks game and how big it would of been if we did win it like we should. Hope it won't come back and bite us, like the Redskins game last year did.

It really gripes me that we are only 1-4 in the division right now.

FinChase
11-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey, did anyone else notice when the game started, the announcers said Tony Curtis was the other TE. I never heard his name again so I wondered if that was just a mistake. Of course, Fasano hasn't exactly been lighting it up this season, so it wouldn't have shocked me if BP had made a move.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
We are 1-3 in the division. We still have the Eagles and Giants again.

I dont think we need a WR, the coahing staff is in love with Sammy and Miles, and we saw what Pat has done since the Romo switch. I think we are set at WR for a few more years.

FinChase
11-12-2006, 11:41 PM

I dont think we need a WR, the coahing staff is in love with Sammy and Miles, and we saw what Pat has done since the Romo switch. I think we are set at WR for a few more years.

You're right; I miscounted. :oops:

But I don't know that we have a real speed guy if Glenn can't play. Hurd seems more like TO Lite. Can't really say what kind of player Austin.

Speaking of Austin, I wonder if we'll be seeing him more on kickoff returns. He had one pretty decent one.

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 11:45 PM

You're right; I miscounted. :oops:

But I don't know that we have a real speed guy if Glenn can't play. Hurd seems more like TO Lite. Can't really say what kind of player Austin.

Speaking of Austin, I wonder if we'll be seeing him more on kickoff returns. He had one pretty decent one.

I would guess Austin will continue to return kicks. Between that and other special teams it's probable enough to keep him active for games. Maybe we can draw up a play or two for him.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I'd rather it be Austin then Green. Austin is also a pretty damn good tackler on ST. I also have to give props to Hurd on ST.

CTCowboysFan
11-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Does anyone know if Terry Glenn is going to try and find a way to play or call it quits? I heard you could play with the injury but if he decides to have surgery it would end his career....

Jdallas
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know if Terry Glenn is going to try and find a way to play or call it quits? I heard you could play with the injury but if he decides to have surgery it would end his career....

Has there been some sort of update on the injury? From what I've heard it's just a strain of some ligaments and cartilage. Certainly nothing that time wouldn't heal. Unless something new has come up the most serious thing I could see coming is missing 2 or 3 games and a scope to clean up cartilage in the offseason.

fryman
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
As happy as I am with our receivers I wish Meachem would enter the draft this year. :lol:

TheBoss
11-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Fergie also had a nice game, but still worried about the depth at that position.

If our O-line continues to improve throughout the season and Blalock is off the board. Would anybody like Dwayne Jarrett, Ginn or maybe Sidney rice in the 1st round?

fryman
11-13-2006, 12:10 AM
That reminds me what happened to Blalock in the game last night? He went down in the game, but I didn't see if he went back in or what.

M.O.T.H.
11-13-2006, 12:11 AM
As much as I love the jersey boy Jarrett and Sidney plays for my fav college team, I dont think we need another big reciever. We have plenty of size at the position, now I believe we are set for the next few years but, if we did indeed draft a WR I think it would have to be a speed guy.

I'm not sure if any of those guys will be available with the 32nd pick. :D

TheBoss
11-13-2006, 12:14 AM
As much as I love the jersey boy Jarrett and Sidney plays for my fav college team, I dont think we need another big reciever. We have plenty of size at the position, now I believe we are set for the next few years but, if we did indeed draft a WR I think it would have to be a speed guy.

Your a Gamecocks fan? Jesus that Florida game must have killed you.

fryman
11-13-2006, 12:15 AM

Thats why Meachem needs to enter. We could get him later in the draft. :lol:

M.O.T.H.
11-13-2006, 12:18 AM

Your a Gamecocks fan? Jesus that Florida game must have killed you.

Thankyou for the reminder. I'm still mad about that game, Ryan Succop is one of the best if not the best kicker in the nation, I know he would have made that kick. Sorta reminded me of the skins game, oh it was fanastic. :( It hurt me in more ways than one, I'm a jersey boy and am rooting for those Scarlet Knights. Florida is one of a few teams still in their way. I cant believe Rutgers actually has a shot at playing in the National Championship, it is just mind boggling, I never thought I would live to see the day when I could actually say that.

Jdallas
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Fergie also had a nice game, but still worried about the depth at that position.

If our O-line continues to improve throughout the season and Blalock is off the board. Would anybody like Dwayne Jarrett, Ginn or maybe Sidney rice in the 1st round?

I've never been a fan of Ginn as a WR. He just doesn't seemed polished enough. He's got the athletic ability, but I just can't ever see him being very good in the NFL.

Ward
11-13-2006, 01:20 AM

Where's a source on this because that's pretty scary¿

Burns336
11-13-2006, 02:48 AM
ive heard over and over again from commentators that BP think Henry is a stud...Where does this come from? Its seems to me that if he were as good as Newman our secondary would be alot better. Henry is caught out of position alot and i dont think he is anywhere near Newmans level.

Does anyone know how many td's hes given up since 04? I know Newman is still at zero

dpl85
11-13-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm calling it right now, we're going to upset the Colts 31 28 on a late FG by Vanderclank. I think our D is good enough to reasonably contain their offense and our run game should be able to dominate their weak run D. Bottom line I think it's a close game as long as Romo doesn't make the big mistakes with INTs.

cowboyz
11-13-2006, 12:03 PM
good game, disappointing with the loss of ellis. hopefully this will allow them to be more creative with who will be coming and moving around ware, since ellis was mainly a pass rusher.

i'd like to see kevin burnett there, and junior glymp on the pass rush. bobby carpenter just looks like a mediocre linebacker, no explosiveness or strength. where are you manny lawson? he had all the measurables and the smarts :| seemed like a BP kind of guy.

so henry isn't as good as newman, not many are. he's still a pretty good cb with excellent tackling ability, just doesn't have great quickness. when asked to cover, hardly gets beat. most of the passes that go to his guy are good throws. it's only a matter of time until he starts to get his interceptions. unfortunately the pressure hasn't been there to create the off balanced throws. with newman playing so well, they should send roy williams on more blitzes and let watkins help henry.

still think they need a speed wr guy, right now teams can bring up a safety for run support/cover witten and roll the other safety to TO. but glad to see crayton do his usual sideline catch. he reminds me of old rod smith. no speed but manages to get some separation and catches the ball.

miles austin looked just like tyson thompson back there, which makes me wonder if he will be back. I think BP would like a big bruiser like brandon jacobs :twisted: can you imagine what he would do with a guy like that? maybe michael bush in the 2nd?

did jason hatcher or kenyon coleman play? i saw ratliff got the fumble. after ellis left, there was no pressure at all.

BX
11-13-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm very disappointed to learn about Ellis, but our LB corp is deep, so I'm not really worried about a replacement, whether it be Burnett or Carpenter. Hell, let's get Junior Glymph in on the action! It's all good.

The Colts game next week has me worried. I don't usually go into big games expecting the Cowboys to win, but I've got a feeling about this one that I just can't shake. I've been waiting for this game for two years now, and I really think we could win. The Colts have been stumbling lately (not enough to lose though), and I really think we can exploit some of their weaknesses.

Like I said, I'm not usually a homer.. but I can't help it this week.

FinChase
11-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm very disappointed to learn about Ellis, but our LB corp is deep, so I'm not really worried about a replacement, whether it be Burnett or Carpenter. Hell, let's get Junior Glymph in on the action! It's all good.

The Colts game next week has me worried. I don't usually go into big games expecting the Cowboys to win, but I've got a feeling about this one that I just can't shake. I've been waiting for this game for two years now, and I really think we could win. The Colts have been stumbling lately (not enough to lose though), and I really think we can exploit some of their weaknesses.

Like I said, I'm not usually a homer.. but I can't help it this week.

Actually, I feel little pressure heading into this game. No one expects us to win, so it won't be a big thing if we don't. However, if we limit our penalties and turnovers, I think we actually have as good a shot as anyone at upsetting the Colts. Of course, they haven't been able to control the penalties all year, so that's why it's a big if.

FinChase
11-13-2006, 01:53 PM
did jason hatcher or kenyon coleman play? i saw ratliff got the fumble. after ellis left, there was no pressure at all.

I think Carpenter went in at first, but a little later it was Hatcher. Since the Cards had totally abandoned the run by that point, the Cowboys were mainly going with 4 down lineman. Even Ellis was lining up with his hand on the ground before he was injured.

Modano
11-13-2006, 02:10 PM
i'd like to see kevin burnett there, and junior glymp on the pass rush. bobby carpenter just looks like a mediocre linebacker, no explosiveness or strength. where are you manny lawson? he had all the measurables and the smarts :| seemed like a BP kind of guy.

I don't know how can you say that. We haven't seen nothing of Carpenter. Except that he had some good moves rushing the passer from a DE position (he almost get a sack yesterday and he made some good moves in the final minutes of the Panthers' game)..
Manny Lawson? He has shown that he probably won't be able to put up more weight. He's a good pass rusher but I think that he will be bad supporting the run for all of his career.. Manny Lawson can't play SOLB for me..

cowboyz
11-13-2006, 03:03 PM

I don't know how can you say that. We haven't seen nothing of Carpenter. Except that he had some good moves rushing the passer from a DE position (he almost get a sack yesterday and he made some good moves in the final minutes of the Panthers' game)..
Manny Lawson? He has shown that he probably won't be able to put up more weight. He's a good pass rusher but I think that he will be bad supporting the run for all of his career.. Manny Lawson can't play SOLB for me..

actually, i think lawson's been playing solb and has been doing everything good except rushing the passer. he seems to have the nice smart man syndrome that polite had

all carpenter has done is prove he can't play special teams, which should be a huge red flag for a linebacker.

Jdallas
11-13-2006, 04:21 PM

actually, i think lawson's been playing solb and has been doing everything good except rushing the passer. he seems to have the nice smart man syndrome that polite had

all carpenter has done is prove he can't play special teams, which should be a huge red flag for a linebacker.

Well, in his press conference today Parcells said Carpenter is improving on special teams and is now making a solid contribution there.

I've watched the 49ers play some this year, most recently when they upset the Vikings in week 9. He tries hard, but his athletic ability hasn't shown up yet. He's running around lost, but is trying hard.

It's ignorant to say that Lawson would be doing better hear. He wouldn't have beaten Ellis out for his job and hasn't shown anything that great in San Francisco yet. Carpenter has been coming along and will get a chance to show some things in the next couple weeks.

bigbluedefense
11-13-2006, 05:06 PM
I saw the game, and I'm a little confused. Why do you guys say Carpenter is so slow? He looked pretty darned fast to me, and when he was DE, he was getting doubled on a lot of plays. He looks like hes gonna be a good player given the oppurtunity, I don't get why you guys were so hard on him.

Now he obviously gets his chance, and playing against Indy, he's gonna have to really be ready for it. I think he's gonna add an element to your defense that Ellis couldn't. His speed is gonna make this defense alot better. I was surprised to see him come off the line like that, because all the reviews so far have said that he was a turtle.

Im gonna go out on a limb here, but I'll still say it. I think the sacks and pass rush from your D are going to go up with Carpenter starting. I just see an element of speed that he brings that will be difficult for olines to block. Heck, for a rook, he looked real good in his first legit playing time. I have bias here though, because I predicted him to be the DROY.

Jdallas
11-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I saw the game, and I'm a little confused. Why do you guys say Carpenter is so slow? He looked pretty darned fast to me, and when he was DE, he was getting doubled on a lot of plays. He looks like hes gonna be a good player given the oppurtunity, I don't get why you guys were so hard on him.

Now he obviously gets his chance, and playing against Indy, he's gonna have to really be ready for it. I think he's gonna add an element to your defense that Ellis couldn't. His speed is gonna make this defense alot better. I was surprised to see him come off the line like that, because all the reviews so far have said that he was a turtle.

Im gonna go out on a limb here, but I'll still say it. I think the sacks and pass rush from your D are going to go up with Carpenter starting. I just see an element of speed that he brings that will be difficult for olines to block. Heck, for a rook, he looked real good in his first legit playing time. I have bias here though, because I predicted him to be the DROY.

Not everyone is down on Carpenter. Some people just don't understand how the NFL works and thinks our coaches are retarted for not drafting Colston this year. I've been a fan of Carpenter since his senior year at OSU so I'm probably biased too, but I would say the reason some fans are ragging on him is they predicted he would be a bust and will now say anything to defend their position.

DMWSackMachine
11-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Looks like somebody lost a bet with a Bears fan, eh? ;)

Btw, don't listen to all the Carpenter haters. I don't, and never have, thought that he looked slow. There is just a certain group of Cowboys posters that come on and want to bash him as a means of venting their frustration with the team as a whole. He hasn't done one thing either way to justify that kind of treatment, but there they are doing it anyway.

The worst thing that can be said about him is that he hasn't been soooo good that the coaches have had no choice but to get him on the field. It would take a truly special player to force his way into this lineup during the first 8 games of his rookie season. So, apparently, we can no longer expect him to be LT. Bummer deal. Besides that, I have liked everything I've seen from him in very limited play. He was coming off that edge with a vengeance in the 4th yesterday. He even got what amounts to a sack late in the game, though Leinart found a way to shovel it away as he was going down.

Bobby will be fine. I'm just as psyched about him now as I was when we drafted him. Maybe even moreso, because now we are going to get a glimpse of what he's got.

bearsfan_51
11-13-2006, 07:16 PM

8) 8)

DMWSackMachine
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM

8) 8)

:D

Sweet avatar, btw. Me and you should hook up. I invented the internet. :twisted:

Burns336
11-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Im glad we got Henry as opposed to the other DB's that were on the market at the time and i feel like he has played adeqaute. Our lack of pressure may negatively and unfairly cloud my perception of him this season though. I understand that a db can only hang with a reciever for so long, but it seems like Henry gets beat deep alot more than he should. I dont mind so much when he gives things up underneath but i feel like someitmes he plays too aggresive and that results in him getting beat deep.

If Newman can pull a nate clements job on marvin harrison that would be ideal, we need him to play physical and take marvin out of the game early. Im very worried about Henry on Wayne though, i just dont think he can stay with him. Rotating Watkins/Davis over the top to help him does nothing to sure up my concerns either. I believe that our biggest concerns in the game should be coverage on wayne and the tight ends. Dallas Clark is dangerous and Utecht has come into his own as of late. Hopefully, The speed we gain by losing ellis will be to our advantage in this game. Carpenter/Burnett/ and or Singleton really need to step up this week and play good coverage when the colts come out with a two tight end set. This should be crucial to us winning, but i still think the biggest threat will be Wayne. If Henry can play wayne better than he has been played all year then i think we have a great shot of winning. I dont really have many concerns with Newman, hes got great speed and is evenly matched with Harrison as far as size goes... Plus he hasnt given up a touch down since '04. With that being said about the DB's, Ware and whoever fills for ellis really really really need to apply some pressure for us to help out our DB's, because god knows you cannot give these recievers time.

On the other end of the ball i really like our chances. Romo is going up against a secondary that isnt on the level of either the panthers or the skins and the indy pass rush has been non-existent up to this point. The only real concern I have is Bob Sanders. Individually, i do not think he is that great, but what concerns me is the "roy williams" element he brings to their blitz shceme and run suppot. One player can make a big difference and i hope his being injured isnt the sole factor for indy's bad pass rush this season. T.O. should man handle the secondary. I hope we get glenn back but i feel like this knee problem is going to be one that is nagging the rest of the season and thats really unfortunate.

My out on a limb prediction for a great individual performance this game has to do with Julius Jones. In the past he has shown up huge in big time games. This year he hasnt really had a break out game and im thinking he doesnt do as much as he has in the past but i see him getting 120+ yards and 2 td's. We just need to get him a big run early and let him roll from there.

In summary, i believe the key to this game is Henry's play against Wayne, if we win that battle alone, i see us having a great chance at coming out on top.

Jdallas
11-13-2006, 09:21 PM
My strategy would be to have Newman go man to man with Wayne the whole game to match speed with speed and have Henry on Harrison with safety help most of the time.

I think that creates a favorable matchup from a skill set standpoint.

Jdallas
11-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Being a captain on this team is not a good thing.

This year we have Bledsoe and Ellis.

Last year it was Campbell and I think Nguyen.

thule
11-13-2006, 11:56 PM
I am surprised to see no mention of the biggest matchup imo....Freeney vs. Flozell

That matchup Scares me. Flozell has so much trouble with speed rushers...we may need some backside help.

thule
11-14-2006, 12:14 AM
I found an interesting stat while reading an article today.

Shutout quarters

The Cowboys' defense has shut out its opponents in 14 of 36 quarters this season, including the first and third quarters Sunday at Arizona, and has not allowed more than a field goal in 19 quarters. A game-by-game look at the Cowboys' shutout quarters:

Quarters Opponent
2 at Jacksonville
3 vs. Washington
1 at Tennessee
0 at Philadelphia
2 vs. Houston
0 vs. NY Giants
3 at Carolina
1 at Washington
2 at Arizona

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/16000475.htm

From this same article I also found something that stuck out. While watkins was being interviewed after the game he said this.

"Well, I didn't get beat deep, that's a start."

thule
11-14-2006, 12:22 AM
I found this while digging through some colts information.

allowed
GMC NFL
long kickoff returns. Before Sunday, the Colts also allowed a 104-yard return for a touchdown against the New York Jets and an 87-yard punt return for a touchdown against Washington.

They also allowed a 48-yard kickoff return against Tennessee and a 41-yarder against Jacksonville.

If our special teams unit ever was to step up and return a big one it might be sunday.

Anyone else pissed off that our game got moved from primetime to 4:15 eastern?

D-Unit
11-14-2006, 01:14 AM
I was kinda scared of the Cards last week, but this week I feel good about beating the Colts. I tend to feel scared of teams we're supposed to beat and confident when we face teams we're supposed to lose against.

I hope that this game is shown in Hawaii. Man... if it's not... :evil:

Modano
11-14-2006, 01:26 AM
I can't wait to see Carpenter on the field. He really had some moves rushing the passer. As the boys blog says, he shows more moves than Ware in 2 years. He's not the athlete that Ware is, but I see Carpenter as a very smart player with good size and instinct. I don't know I can someone says he's slow. Because he couldn't caught Cartwright from behind?
He's a cover guy and that's un upgrade over Ellis. I hope he shows what he can do, because he can be a very special player.

D-Unit
11-14-2006, 01:32 AM
I can't wait to see Carpenter on the field. He really had some moves rushing the passer. As the boys blog says, he shows more moves than Ware in 2 years. He's not the athlete that Ware is, but I see Carpenter as a very smart player with good size and instinct. I don't know I can someone says he's slow. Because he couldn't caught Cartwright from behind?
He's a cover guy and that's un upgrade over Ellis. I hope he shows what he can do, because he can be a very special player.
Not expecting much out of Carp. Just hope he doesn't look like a fool. I have a feeling that Indy will be utilizing their TEs often in this game.

I think Newman can hold Harrison without a TD. Henry will shoulder a lot of pressure covering Wayne. He's gonna have to have to have his breakout game of the season this weekend. Not afraid of Indy's ground game.

This is the game Julius needs to shine.

thule
11-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Not expecting much out of Carp. Just hope he doesn't look like a fool. I have a feeling that Indy will be utilizing their TEs often in this game.

I think Newman can hold Harrison without a TD. Henry will shoulder a lot of pressure covering Wayne. He's gonna have to have to have his breakout game of the season this weekend. Not afraid of Indy's ground game.

One thing that is key to this game....is the turnover ratio. In every game that has been close for Indy they have had a negative turnover ratio. If we can force some turnovers we have a good chance.

I also agree with the fact that JJ needs to have a big game...even tho every back that seems to go against the Colts has a big game. They have a terrible run defense...and I really think this will do wonders for our ball-control offense. This will be one of the few games where we won't have to use the pass to set up the run.

I really think that we need to score in the redzone. We have been a great team at getting points...but scoring touchdowns inside the 20 will be a big factor in this game. We should have some good oppurtunities to do this with their undersized LB using witten/fasano as well as TO to abuse their small corners in the redzone.

D-Unit
11-14-2006, 01:51 AM
Key Match ups:

Flozell on Freeney
Henry/Watkins on Wayne
LBs on TEs

thule
11-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Key Match ups:

Flozell on Freeney
Henry/Watkins on Wayne
LBs on TEs

Interesting to see you mention lb and te...i also feel this will be a tell tale.

The thing that worries me is that in the press conference it came off to me that Singleton would get some snaps on more run downs whereas Carp would come in on maybe 2nd or 3rd down....plus carp will also probabaly get some snaps in nickle. I'm very worried about our nickel defense...it doesn't stack up well against 2 TE...i really dont' wanna see newman on clark...the one thing that I guess I could see is...Henry on Clark....Glenn/Newman on Wayne/Harrison. However I highly doubt we'll see ourselves stack up like that. I have a feeling we will be seeing more Singleton in this game because parcells won't want to overwork Carp...between special teams/standart d/nickle Carp should see alot of the field.

Burns336
11-14-2006, 02:11 AM

hmmmm very insightful D-unit. Did you think of that all on your own orrr... did i not mention all of this at the top of the page?

D-Unit
11-14-2006, 02:40 AM

hmmmm very insightful D-unit. Did you think of that all on your own orrr... did i not mention all of this at the top of the page?
I don't know. Did you? Contrary to popular belief, I don't go back and read everyone's posts. :lol:

I think that the Cowboys will have to start someone besides Greg Ellis this week.

...did anyone else happen to say that? If so, I'm sorry for plagerism. :roll:

Back to all seriousness, I think we should put Ware on the Strong side this week... and see how he can handle it going forward. I think it took too long for Parcells to figure out that Ellis could play SOLB. I don't want to make that mistake again. SOLBs are harder to find and Burnett seems to be working well at WOLB anyways. If Ware can play both positions well, we could seriously confuse offenses and get the best match ups possible. I know Joey Porter plays both sides and that is part of the reason the Steelers can mix it up so much.

dpl85
11-14-2006, 08:18 AM
I found this while digging through some colts information.

allowed
GMC NFL
long kickoff returns. Before Sunday, the Colts also allowed a 104-yard return for a touchdown against the New York Jets and an 87-yard punt return for a touchdown against Washington.

They also allowed a 48-yard kickoff return against Tennessee and a 41-yarder against Jacksonville.

If our special teams unit ever was to step up and return a big one it might be sunday.

Anyone else pissed off that our game got moved from primetime to 4:15 eastern?
The game was moved from noon Dallas time ( 1:00 EST ) to 3:15 Dallas time (4:15 EST) so it can be on national TV. You should be happy about that right since you don't live in the Dallas or Indy markets. I don't think it was going to be national TV before they moved the start time.

leroyisgod
11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
I am surprised to see no mention of the biggest matchup imo....Freeney vs. Flozell

That matchup Scares me. Flozell has so much trouble with speed rushers...we may need some backside help.

I think you'll see the TE being lined up on that side a lot and Barber & Jones chipping him coming out of the backfield.

leroyisgod
11-14-2006, 08:37 AM
I was kinda scared of the Cards last week, but this week I feel good about beating the Colts. I tend to feel scared of teams we're supposed to beat and confident when we face teams we're supposed to lose against.

I hope that this game is shown in Hawaii. Man... if it's not... :evil:

Need to get Directv w/the ticket.

leroyisgod
11-14-2006, 08:38 AM

We need a 150 yds + out of JJ this week. Indy's run defense is horrible and we should be able to put up a total of 175 yds on the ground.

dpl85
11-14-2006, 08:49 AM
We should only throw the ball between 20-25 times assuming we can keep the score close. The best defense for the Colts offense is a really good ball control run game that keeps Peyton off the field.

dpl85
11-14-2006, 09:07 AM
TO is on Regis today to promote his childrens book. :lol:

bigbluedefense
11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Indy's offense is a thing of beauty. Its so simple, contrary to popular belief, and its just so perfectly executed. Every single play, its Harrison on the right, Wayne on the left, Stokely in the slot, and Addai in the backfield. Theres no motions, theres no movement of players for favorable matchups etc, they don't overload one side of the field, no bunches formations, nothing. Its the same set every play, they just hike that ball and execute. And no one can stop it. Practice makes perfect, and they perfected their playbook.

We all know how to beat the Colts. Everyone does. But theyre undefeated, because stopping/containing Peyton in the regular season has become near impossible. Forget everything you hear, you can't "confuse" Peyton. Thats simply not true. If his 4th read is open, he'll hit him. The key to beating Peyton is "confusing" his protection, and getting in his face. Thats how you make Peyton crumble.

To beat him, you need great confusing pressure (which is why he has a harder time with the 3-4), and a solid secondary. You can't play zone against him, he'll hit that window everytime. You gotta have the talent in the secondary to man up, or the pressure in the front 7 to get him before he can let it go. Usually you need both. Theres only one team that can play zone on him, and thats the Patriots because their team is so disciplined in their zone assignments, theres hardly a missed assignment. Every other team in the league needs to bring the heat and pray the man assignments hold their ground.

So the key to this game is coming up with clever pass rushing techniques that will confuse Peyton and his protection schemes. Peyton is responsible for aligning the protection, if you can confuse him and bring pressure where he didn't see it coming, you can get to him. So its gonna take a clever mind to construct the necessary blitz packages that will break down his protection. Delayed blitzes, overload blitzes, stunt blitzes, zone blitzes, you gotta throw the kitchen sink at the guy. And the play calling has to be timed perfectly too, you can't get predictable with it.

Dallas has the talent in the secondary to play man coverage. The key is getting the necessary pressure in the front 7 to make Peyton throw it before he wants to. That will determine the outcome of this game. The defensive strategy of Dallas has been somewhat vanilla so far, and that won't cut it with Peyton. Also the pass rush simply has been disappointing as well, the big name guys are simply not winning their individual matchups often enough. So to sum it up, this game comes down to the defensive strategy and pressure. Ware and Carp need huge games. And there cannot be any missed assignments in the secondary.

The Unseen
11-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Indy's offense is a thing of beauty. Its so simple, contrary to popular belief, and its just so perfectly executed. Every single play, its Harrison on the right, Wayne on the left, Stokely in the slot, and Addai in the backfield. Theres no motions, theres no movement of players for favorable matchups etc, they don't overload one side of the field, no bunches formations, nothing. Its the same set every play, they just hike that ball and execute. And no one can stop it. Practice makes perfect, and they perfected their playbook.

We all know how to beat the Colts. Everyone does. But theyre undefeated, because stopping/containing Peyton in the regular season has become near impossible. Forget everything you hear, you can't "confuse" Peyton. Thats simply not true. If his 4th read is open, he'll hit him. The key to beating Peyton is "confusing" his protection, and getting in his face. Thats how you make Peyton crumble.

To beat him, you need great confusing pressure (which is why he has a harder time with the 3-4), and a solid secondary. You can't play zone against him, he'll hit that window everytime. You gotta have the talent in the secondary to man up, or the pressure in the front 7 to get him before he can let it go. Usually you need both. Theres only one team that can play zone on him, and thats the Patriots because their team is so disciplined in their zone assignments, theres hardly a missed assignment. Every other team in the league needs to bring the heat and pray the man assignments hold their ground.

So the key to this game is coming up with clever pass rushing techniques that will confuse Peyton and his protection schemes. Peyton is responsible for aligning the protection, if you can confuse him and bring pressure where he didn't see it coming, you can get to him. So its gonna take a clever mind to construct the necessary blitz packages that will break down his protection. Delayed blitzes, overload blitzes, stunt blitzes, zone blitzes, you gotta throw the kitchen sink at the guy. And the play calling has to be timed perfectly too, you can't get predictable with it.

Dallas has the talent in the secondary to play man coverage. The key is getting the necessary pressure in the front 7 to make Peyton throw it before he wants to. That will determine the outcome of this game. The defensive strategy of Dallas has been somewhat vanilla so far, and that won't cut it with Peyton. Also the pass rush simply has been disappointing as well, the big name guys are simply not winning their individual matchups often enough. So to sum it up, this game comes down to the defensive strategy and pressure. Ware and Carp need huge games. And there cannot be any missed assignments in the secondary.

Agreed, although it's more like "Clark in the slot". He's their slot WR right now, over Stokley.

bigbluedefense
11-14-2006, 10:46 AM
It will be interesting to see if BP uses that approach however. From past experience, and watching his strategies against high powered offenses such as the 49ers back in the day with my beloved Giants, I noticed that his usual strategy against high octane offenses has been an array of different style zones and zone blitzes. He rarely blitzes heavily, he relies on very disciplined zone assignments and lots of 2 deep safety plays to contain the offense.

And to keep them off the field, he increases the workload of the runningback. Thats what he's historically done, but let's see if he switches it up this sunday. It will be an interesting thing to watch as a fan of Xs and Os.

bigbluedefense
11-14-2006, 10:49 AM

Agreed, although it's more like "Clark in the slot". He's their slot WR right now, over Stokley.

I stand corrected

bigbluedefense
11-14-2006, 10:53 AM
It will be interesting to see if BP uses that approach however. From past experience, and watching his strategies against high powered offenses such as the 49ers back in the day with my beloved Giants, I noticed that his usual strategy against high octane offenses has been an array of different style zones and zone blitzes. He rarely blitzes heavily, he relies on very disciplined zone assignments and lots of 2 deep safety plays to contain the offense.

And to keep them off the field, he increases the workload of the runningback. Thats what he's historically done, but let's see if he switches it up this sunday. It will be an interesting thing to watch as a fan of Xs and Os.

I should note though that this was against a high powered WCO, which is very different from the vertical style of the Colts. Off the top of my head, I can't recall his strategies against high power vertical offenses, I would have to go back and look at some old tape. So yeah...maybe he imployed that style strategy against the 49ers because blitzing heavily makes no sense against the quick release 3 step drop style of the WCO. So who knows what he'll do, it will be interesting to watch.

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 11:31 AM

Wasn't that because Stokley was hurt? I think he's supposed to be healthy for this game.

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Their TEs don't scare me that much. As long as we keep them from beating us deep. I don't care if the TEs catch a 10 yard pass every once in a while as long as they don't score quick TDs against us. I have faith in the talent of our defense over an extended number of plays, the only thing that scares me is them killing themselves.

thule
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Their TEs don't scare me that much. As long as we keep them from beating us deep. I don't care if the TEs catch a 10 yard pass every once in a while as long as they don't score quick TDs against us. I have faith in the talent of our defense over an extended number of plays, the only thing that scares me is them killing themselves.

AKA Not giving up the big play.

thule
11-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Anyone else notice that we didn't really play a nickle defense against the Cardinals. We just removed a OLB and added Glenn. I have a feeling we will do alot of that against the colts. This should make ellis's loss a little easier to deal with.

DMWSackMachine
11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Not to go after someone or single him out, but sometimes I wonder if Burns ever knows what he's talking about. Color me :?

Our team, and our secondary particularly, is perfectly constructed to go against a team built like the Colts are built. Newman is a perfect matchup for Harrison, Henry is a perfect matchup for Wayne, and Glenn can man up on both Stokely and Clark when needed. 3-4 teams have given Manning plenty of trouble recently, and that scheme seems to have much more of an ability to confuse him in both protection and coverage.

And just to comment on Wayne, sometimes I wonder if people actually, you know, watch the games. He is a very good reciever that mainly relies on his route running and chemistry with Peyton to beat DBs. He has average speed, and is not particularly quick or agile either. His best asset is his hands, which rank among the best in the league. He's also very smart and is capable of making route adjustments on the fly. This is the perfect kind of WR for Henry to cover. Get up on him, jam him at the line, be physical and smart and you have a chance to shut him down. Henry is perfect for the job.

To me, this game is going to be the most enjoyable of the season to watch. I think we can attack this team in so many ways and still be successful. I think the biggest factor coming in will be our gameplan. The Colts have been hit plenty with the "run the ball, control the clock and keep Manning off the field" strategy, but the problem with that is that it produces close games, where all that needs to happen is for Peyton to put together one successful drive late and suddenly you're behind.

I think we play a lot of 2 deep coverage, make Peyton dink and dunk us and committ to stopping the run. Force them to drive the length of the field without making a mistake, and then be extremely aggressive on offense. I think if we do end up losing, then you are going to be hearing a lot of bitching and moaning next week about the FS position - again.

But all along this year, I've been looking forward to this game with confidence. I just feel like we match up with these guys very well, and that we can take advantage of them at least as much as they can take advantage of us. With all these close games they have been in, I just have a feeling that we have a strong chance to take this one. I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.

Ward
11-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.

What I'm praying is that Parcells has been waiting for this week to really let the dogs out blitzing. Peyton can be had, look at what Pittsburgh did to him in the AFC championship. If we can confuse his line badly enough and get in his face and at least make him pay for his throws, we stand a chance.

duckseason
11-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I think we should pipe in some artificial crowd noise. And pass out blow-horns at the gates.
Too bad Peyton and his sign language voodoo-telekinesis with the rest of his offense would just deflect such feeble attempts to disrupt their harmony. :x

Ward
11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I think we should pipe in some artificial crowd noise. And pass out blow-horns at the gates.
Too bad Peyton and his sign language voodoo-telekinesis with the rest of his offense would just deflect such feeble attempts to disrupt their harmony. :x

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Burns336
11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Not to go after someone or single him out, but sometimes I wonder if Burns ever knows what he's talking about. Color me :?

Our team, and our secondary particularly, is perfectly constructed to go against a team built like the Colts are built. Newman is a perfect matchup for Harrison, Henry is a perfect matchup for Wayne, and Glenn can man up on both Stokely and Clark when needed. 3-4 teams have given Manning plenty of trouble recently, and that scheme seems to have much more of an ability to confuse him in both protection and coverage.

And just to comment on Wayne, sometimes I wonder if people actually, you know, watch the games. He is a very good reciever that mainly relies on his route running and chemistry with Peyton to beat DBs. He has average speed, and is not particularly quick or agile either. His best asset is his hands, which rank among the best in the league. He's also very smart and is capable of making route adjustments on the fly. This is the perfect kind of WR for Henry to cover. Get up on him, jam him at the line, be physical and smart and you have a chance to shut him down. Henry is perfect for the job.

To me, this game is going to be the most enjoyable of the season to watch. I think we can attack this team in so many ways and still be successful. I think the biggest factor coming in will be our gameplan. The Colts have been hit plenty with the "run the ball, control the clock and keep Manning off the field" strategy, but the problem with that is that it produces close games, where all that needs to happen is for Peyton to put together one successful drive late and suddenly you're behind.

I think we play a lot of 2 deep coverage, make Peyton dink and dunk us and committ to stopping the run. Force them to drive the length of the field without making a mistake, and then be extremely aggressive on offense. I think if we do end up losing, then you are going to be hearing a lot of bitching and moaning next week about the FS position - again.

But all along this year, I've been looking forward to this game with confidence. I just feel like we match up with these guys very well, and that we can take advantage of them at least as much as they can take advantage of us. With all these close games they have been in, I just have a feeling that we have a strong chance to take this one. I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.

Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board. and yeah, i do know what im talking about, i called for romo weeks before all of you, and you guys laughed... now you all wanna suck him off. The idiotic thing about your post is how you think our secondary matches up well with the colts. NO SECONDARY in the league matches up well with the colts. T-new is fine, but if you think Henry is ideal for coverage on wayne, you must be nuts. The guy cant cover brandon lloyd. He plays far too aggressive, and if you go back to just this last weekend, the only big passes matt leinart had were to henry's man. He cant stay with wayne by any means, even if wayne doesnt have blazing speed, hes still got moves that henry doesnt have the agility to keep up with. So go ahead and single me out, but dont say i didnt call it when henry gets burned this game and puts us in a real tough spot. All its going to take is one double move from wayne and then you will have either keith davis or pat watkins as a safety net, something i am not looking forward to.

and on a side note, why not call out your boyfriend D-unit who summarized all the points i made? he highlighted just about everything i touched on... maybe you were too worried on figuring out a new argument to prove ware is better than merriman or julius is better than tiki? must be hard to come up with answers which dont exist....

duckseason
11-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board.

I don't think I've ever seen a "dumb post" from DM Dubble. In fact, I think it's obvious to most of us that he is among the most knowledgeable members of this forum. You act like he didn't have sound reasoning for his pre-game predictions for this game. He's not like Balaskonis....."OMG!! Henry will own Wayne on Sunday!! The Colts won't even score on us because Terence Newman will intercept every pass attempt from Manning!! OMG!! I need to go get my bottle of baby oil and T-New highlight tapes before I explode!! OMG!!" Anyway.....I guess I'd be kinda ticked too if it appeared to me that somebody was attacking my knowledge of my team. :|
You guys should make some kinda bet. Maybe an over under on Wayne's receptions or something.
He's averaging 5.33 per game.

Staubach12
11-14-2006, 04:57 PM

Hello? This scares the crap out of me. Source? If Glenn, retires, we should go after Drew Bennett in FA.

CTCowboysFan
11-14-2006, 05:12 PM
"Terry Glenn has a "bone-on-bone" condition in the back of one of his knees. The injury report lists him as probable with a quadriceps injury.

We were hoping to retire the phrase "bone-on-bone" after Curtis Martin's retirement. Glenn's season, and the rest of his career, will be about pain management. It's very possible he can play well through the injury. Eventually, he may require microfracture surgery, which would likely end his career. Fantasy owners shouldn't count on Glenn being a consistent factor moving forward. His status for Week 10 remains uncertain."

From ESPN

M.O.T.H.
11-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Lets say, Glenn retried early. I personally would feel confident with crayton at the 2, what do you guys think?

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Lets say, Glenn retried early. I personally would feel confident with crayton at the 2, what do you guys think?

It might end up being ok and he does have experience, but I would still look at someway to upgrade the position. If we end the season without a lot of needs and Glenn retired I think we should make an effort to get another WR.

CTCowboysFan
11-14-2006, 06:15 PM

Same here. Crayton and Romo have great chemistry, and heck I see a little something in Sam Hurd too. This team would do fine with receivers. Already looking towards the off-season I would say O-Line, O-Line, and O-Line. But this season isn't over yet by a long ways I am just saying that if the draft was tommorow it's all about the O-Line.

thule
11-14-2006, 06:18 PM

I don't think Glenn has a big factor as far as the future goes in big d anyways. This draft has a few players in the mold of Glenn...so I could see us pickin one up on the first day. This actually isn't terrible news...this makes drafting a WR less of a logjam if he indeed hangs them up. Also lets not forget Rector seemed to play alot like Glenn did as far as the size/quickness stacked up.

TheBoss
11-14-2006, 06:18 PM

I wouldn't mine at all, I really do believe he does have the best hands on the team, next to Witten. And Hurd looked good against the the Cards, making some difficult catches. But I would still like to see them get a guy like Dallas Baker in the middle rounds to add some depth.

DMWSackMachine
11-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board. and yeah, i do know what im talking about, i called for romo weeks before all of you, and you guys laughed... now you all wanna suck him off. The idiotic thing about your post is how you think our secondary matches up well with the colts. NO SECONDARY in the league matches up well with the colts. T-new is fine, but if you think Henry is ideal for coverage on wayne, you must be nuts. The guy cant cover brandon lloyd. He plays far too aggressive, and if you go back to just this last weekend, the only big passes matt leinart had were to henry's man. He cant stay with wayne by any means, even if wayne doesnt have blazing speed, hes still got moves that henry doesnt have the agility to keep up with. So go ahead and single me out, but dont say i didnt call it when henry gets burned this game and puts us in a real tough spot. All its going to take is one double move from wayne and then you will have either keith davis or pat watkins as a safety net, something i am not looking forward to.

and on a side note, why not call out your boyfriend D-unit who summarized all the points i made? he highlighted just about everything i touched on... maybe you were too worried on figuring out a new argument to prove ware is better than merriman or julius is better than tiki? must be hard to come up with answers which dont exist....

Not really surprising. 'Bout what I expected, actually. The funny part about your post is that you respond like a child when someone calls you out instead of coming back with hard evidence and reason, and then letting your posts speak for themselves. The bottom line is that you make posts based upon vague impressions you gleaned from who knows where. The evidence of this is the way you come across when you present an argument. Everyone here pretty much knows what I'm talking about, so I won't get into nitty gritty here. My intent was not to start a flame war, but I just could sit there and listen to you spouting off anymore about things you don't know.

As for your comments about Romo, I find it funny that you are acting as if you were the only proponent of putting him in on this board. The majority of people were expressing the same opinion on the situation every time Bledsoe a) was sacked, b) threw an interception or c) took a snap. Now you want to take credit as a visionary? You pulled the oldest move in the book, which is call for the backup QB. Fortunately for you, and the team that we mutually love, that just happened to be the right solution at the time, at least as it appears now.

Lastly, I don't want you to think that I don't respect Wayne as a player, because I do. In fact, I invested heavily in him in most of my fantasy drafts because I felt that this would be the year that he would really emerge as the lead reciever in that offense. The fallacy that you have is that Henry has been getting beat this year. He has not. He is nearly on par with Newman as far as overall quality of player goes. While he doesn't have the same type of speed, he is extremely physical, tough, and aggressive - all of which are valuable qualities to have as a corner. He also has good route recognition and overall smarts. Plus he is top 5 in this league as a tackling CB. A very high quality player. The only real weakness he has is he doesn't have the great long speed you might prefer, and thus can be run-by on deeper routes.

All you have to do to see what kind of player he is, is listen to Parcells when he speaks about him. He talks as if Henry is the top corner on this team. That's enough said right there. He is a high quality player that is perfectly suited to match up with a guy like Reggie Wayne. Does that mean he will shut him down? No, of course not, but it does mean that he has the measurables that coincide with what Wayne brings to the table. That is saying something.

EDIT: When I wrote my last two posts, I was under the impression that you, Burns, made the following comment:

My strategy would be to have Newman go man to man with Wayne the whole game to match speed with speed and have Henry on Harrison with safety help most of the time.

He made this right after your post that I was responding to, so I remembered you as having said it. My bad on that one, but most of what I said still stands.

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 06:35 PM
So you think I don't know what I'm talking about? :shock:

Just to explain myself a little more. I don't think that Newman could effectively shut down Harrison over an entire game, but I do think that he could get pretty close to shutting Wayne down. I also think that since Harrison is getting up there in years that Henry would be a better matchup because his physical play could help wear him down. I know that Henry's style of play will result in the WR getting away from time to time and that is why you have a safety over the top as often as possible. 20 yards instead of 60 would really help. That leaves Roy free to either support the run game or sit back in the deep zone depending on the situation in the game.

If you think there are any flaws in something I said please explain them.

Burns336
11-14-2006, 06:36 PM
well next time double check.... As far as me responding like a child, what would you do when someone specifically calls you out on a post and only mentions you, when 2 others on the same page, including d-unit, brought up all 3 of the same points i made in my post. i dont go on dictionary or thesaurus.com to make my posts sound all smart like some, but if you break them down and look at what ive said in the past, i tend to be right a majority of the time. Ive been a cowboys fan since i was born and i enjoy talking about them. I also think most of the stuff i put on this board is significant and correct. My posts speak for themselves, you can go back and check if you'd like.

On this matter, we have a difference of opinion though. I like henry against guys like plaxico and lloyd (even though he cant cover lloyd for some reason) but i really feel like he is at a huge disadvantage against wayne. My reasoning for this is that he doesnt have the agility to stay with wayne. Our pass rush doesnt even apply great pressure against average lines, so how will they against the colts? I expect manning to have alot of time to throw and i expect that henry will be very vulnerable. He plays physical and can cover regular routes but double moves and stop and go routes really tend to burn him because i dont think hes got great agility. His hips dont turn as well as Newmans, and i see him being the biggest factor in this game. More so than Flo. Remember our O-line isnt that big of a problem with romo, and freeny is having an off year up to this point anyways. Ive already said all of this with the exception of the stuff abotu freeny in my previous posts so for you to say i dont back it up with facts is dumb. read my stuff and respect it, grammer and spelling might not be perfect, i dont use big words, but i know my s h i t.

Edit: ill respect your opinions as well, which i tend to agree with most of the time, this just isnt one of them.

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 06:42 PM
well next time double check.... As far as me responding like a child, what would you do when someone specifically calls you out on a post and only mentions you, when 2 others on the same page, including d-unit, brought up all 3 of the same points i made in my post. i dont go on dictionary or thesaurus.com to make my posts sound all smart like some, but if you break them down and look at what ive said in the past, i tend to be right a majority of the time. Ive been a cowboys fan since i was born and i enjoy talking about them. I also think most of the stuff i put on this board is significant and correct. My posts speak for themselves, you can go back and check if you'd like.

On this matter, we have a difference of opinion though. I like henry against guys like plaxico and lloyd (even though he cant cover lloyd for some reason) but i really feel like he is at a huge disadvantage against wayne. My reasoning for this is that he doesnt have the agility to stay with wayne. Our pass rush doesnt even apply great pressure against average lines, so how will they against the colts? I expect manning to have alot of time to throw and i expect that henry will be very vulnerable. He plays physical and can cover regular routes but double moves and stop and go routes really tend to burn him because i dont think hes got great agility. His hips dont turn as well as Newmans, and i see him being the biggest factor in this game. More so than Freeny. Remember our O-line isnt that big of a problem with romo, and freeny is having an off year up to this point anyways. Ive already said all of this with the exception of the stuff abotu freeny in my previous posts so for you to say i dont back it up with facts is dumb. read my stuff and respect it, grammer and spelling might not be perfect, i dont use big words, but i know my s h i t.

Henry can cover the double move, he just always bites on the first one. He isn't as fast or agile as Newman, but he is good enough to cover pretty much anyone. His aggressive style of play is what makes him prone to give up big plays, but it's also what makes him such a good CB. I don't know if the team promotes this type of play for him or not, but it seems like it does.

Burns336
11-14-2006, 06:52 PM

On this matter, we have a difference of opinion though. I like henry against guys like plaxico and lloyd (even though he cant cover lloyd for some reason) but i really feel like he is at a huge disadvantage against wayne. My reasoning for this is that he doesnt have the agility to stay with wayne. Our pass rush doesnt even apply great pressure against average lines, so how will they against the colts? I expect manning to have alot of time to throw and i expect that henry will be very vulnerable. He plays physical and can cover regular routes but double moves and stop and go routes really tend to burn him because i dont think hes got great agility. His hips dont turn as well as Newmans, and i see him being the biggest factor in this game. More so than Freeny. Remember our O-line isnt that big of a problem with romo, and freeny is having an off year up to this point anyways. Ive already said all of this with the exception of the stuff abotu freeny in my previous posts so for you to say i dont back it up with facts is dumb. read my stuff and respect it, grammer and spelling might not be perfect, i dont use big words, but i know my s h i t.

Henry can cover the double move, he just always bites on the first one. He isn't as fast or agile as Newman, but he is good enough to cover pretty much anyone. His aggressive style of play is what makes him prone to give up big plays, but it's also what makes him such a good CB. I don't know if the team promotes this type of play for him or not, but it seems like it does.

Yes and most of the time his aggressiveness isnt a deciding factor in the game. But look at who we are playing. If he bites on the first move, that is more than enough for manning and wayne to create points. We are playing in offense in which you cant make mistakes against their recievers.

Lets say henry bites on the first move like you said, the second move is than nullified. There is no need for a second move. At that point he will be matched up one on one with watkins/davis. This isnt good.

The whole point im trying to make is that henry cant play his style in this game and still be successful. Is he a good corner? Yes, in certain games hes perfectly suited for the job. Is this one of those games? no i don think so, we are going up against the best regular season QB in the business with top recieving threats. If henry plays overly aggressive, all it takes is one move and thats 7 points on the board.

you just admitted he bites on the first move. how does this not scare you against the colts?

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 07:21 PM

Yes and most of the time his aggressiveness isnt a deciding factor in the game. But look at who we are playing. If he bites on the first move, that is more than enough for manning and wayne to create points. We are playing in offense in which you cant make mistakes against their recievers.

Lets say henry bites on the first move like you said, the second move is than nullified. There is no need for a second move. At that point he will be matched up one on one with watkins/davis. This isnt good.

The whole point im trying to make is that henry cant play his style in this game and still be successful. Is he a good corner? Yes, in certain games hes perfectly suited for the job. Is this one of those games? no i don think so, we are going up against the best regular season QB in the business with top recieving threats. If henry plays overly aggressive, all it takes is one move and thats 7 points on the board.

you just admitted he bites on the first move. how does this not scare you against the colts?

Well first of all not every route is a double move and Henry doesn't get beat on every single double move. Sure he gets beat more than Newman, but he is still an above average CB when compared to the rest of the league.

I haven't done any research into this other than just watching games, but I think it's pretty accurate to say that Henry gets beat deep 2-3 times a game. This doesn't mean 3 long pass plays a game though. Double moves or any deep route for that matter take longer to develop so it gives the pass rush more of an opportunity to get to the QB. Our pass rush may not be dominant, but I have full confidence they can get their 8-10 on a 7 step drop.

There should always be a safety deep when Henry gets beat deep because you can't bite on a first move without safety help over the top. However, there are routes where the receiver has a good chance of making the catch before the safety can get there. On a pass like that you would expect somewhere around a 30 yard gain.

Once you factor in the pass rush and the safety help over the top it makes sense to say that Henry gets beat deep one time a game that should cost us 30-40 yards. That will certainly hurt you, but in most games it won't be enough to kill you. Part of our problem lies in the fact that we don't have outstanding free safeties and they won't always be there and although I think they do a good job overall our pass rush is still somewhat inconsistent.

Especially in a game against the Colts I don't think that one play really hurts you. A 60 yarder for a TD would hurt more, but it certainly doesn't ruin you chance to win the game. With our offense we should be able to give up 27 points to the Colts and still have a decent shot in the game.

Our run defense should do a good job of shutting down Addai and the fact that we played James and the Cardinals last week kind of gave our defense a chance to really get used to the style of offense the Colts play.

In the end with Henry I'll give up a play or maybe even two a game for 30-40 yards as long as he keeps batting down 3rd down passes that would extend drives. You certainly pay a price to have a player like that on your team, but I really believe that the team can scheme around his abilities and make him a force in the defense.

In my example above you almost always have a safety over the top of him. That means that if he gets beat on a double move and our safety can't quite get there to break up the pass it still shouldn't be a TD which is what has killed our defense up to this point.

It's the Colts so you're going to give up plays and you're going to give up points, but if we play bend, but don't break defense our offense will give us a chance in this game.

I know this might be hard to read because there is a lot of stuff in there I didn't organize it, but I hope it makes sense.

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Just one more point on why I want Newman on Wayne and Henry on Harrison.

Wayne is averaging about 3 more yard per catch than Harrison.

thule
11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Personally I feel we have to keep the Colts under 25 pts...otherwise we lose this game.

Jdallas
11-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Personally I feel we have to keep the Colts under 25 pts...otherwise we lose this game.

We're averaging 27.7 a game. I think we should be able to score somewhere around that mark against their subpar defense.

One more note, although I like Julius as the starter, I think Barber should get a few more carries in this game so he can punish some of those smaller, fast players.

Ward
11-14-2006, 10:09 PM

We're averaging 27.7 a game. I think we should be able to score somewhere around that mark against their subpar defense.

One more note, although I like Julius as the starter, I think Barber should get a few more carries in this game so he can punish some of those smaller, fast players.

Agreed. Barber should be the featured back this Sunday so he can punish the soft underbelly of that D.

Burns336
11-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Jdallas....Although i do understand everything you said about Henry, i still feel like even if wayne gets behind him 2 or 3 times, that could easily turn into 2 or 3 touchdowns with the poor fs play.

we've dragged this debate out too long though, both of us have come up with very possible scenario's, now we just have to sit back and watch.

I hope you guys prove me wrong on this one. I really want this colts game more than any game this season just so the team can prove they are just as good as anyone. I think if we win this game, we carry that confidence through the rest of the year and take the division with prob the 2nd best record in the nfc behind da bears.

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 12:56 AM
If you think this debate has gone on too long you should have read 50 pages of D-Unit and kwhy arguing about DeMarcus Ware.

thule
11-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Ran across a interesting article on Romo and the draft. I don't know if I buy it seems farfetched but nevertheless....

Sholl also told a story that he said no one knows about draft day, when Romo was ignored. Sholl said Romo dropped his cell phone after the first day of the draft. Sholl thought it was possibly broken, but Romo checked the phone and pronounced it fine.

It turns out it was good for outgoing calls but not incoming.

"So he found out he had 29 messages from NFL teams," Sholl said. "Maybe he would have been drafted."

Romo, from Burlington, Wis., signed with Dallas as a free agent in 2003. He chose Dallas in part because his grandparents live there.

Sholl also mentioned something else of interest to many stateline fans:

"The Packers have tried to trade for Romo," he said.

Doesn't look like he's available any more.

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006111140029

bigbluedefense
11-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Ran across a interesting article on Romo and the draft. I don't know if I buy it seems farfetched but nevertheless....

Sholl also told a story that he said no one knows about draft day, when Romo was ignored. Sholl said Romo dropped his cell phone after the first day of the draft. Sholl thought it was possibly broken, but Romo checked the phone and pronounced it fine.

"So he found out he had 29 messages from NFL teams," Sholl said. "Maybe he would have been drafted."

Romo, from Burlington, Wis., signed with Dallas as a free agent in 2003. He chose Dallas in part because his grandparents live there.

I think this new found evidence, coupled with the fact that the Packer's HC publicly said he'd want Favre to play another 2 years shows that they have very little faith in Aaron Rodgers. They should trade him to a desperate team.

DMWSackMachine
11-15-2006, 11:48 AM
So you think I don't know what I'm talking about? :shock:

Just to explain myself a little more. I don't think that Newman could effectively shut down Harrison over an entire game, but I do think that he could get pretty close to shutting Wayne down. I also think that since Harrison is getting up there in years that Henry would be a better matchup because his physical play could help wear him down. I know that Henry's style of play will result in the WR getting away from time to time and that is why you have a safety over the top as often as possible. 20 yards instead of 60 would really help. That leaves Roy free to either support the run game or sit back in the deep zone depending on the situation in the game.

If you think there are any flaws in something I said please explain them.

That's what I was referring to. To suggest that Wayne is a "speed" based player is nothing short of flat out wrong. Newman is good enough to cover Harrisson man-to-man and keep him in check. Henry is also good enough to hold Wayne in check. If you must roll a safety over the top, do so on the weak side to give Henry help against Wayne. But the very dumbest thing we could do would be to move our speed/agility corner onto their size/strength reciever and move our size/strength corner onto their speed/agility reicever. I can't even see how that would enter into your brain.

Again, we match up against these guys as good as any team in the NFL. Our trio of cover guys is perfect for this assignment, and to move peices around would be just plain dumb.

It's no coincedence that Newman has not allowed a TD in 20+ games and counting. In that span, he has played against Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Boldin + Fitzgerald (twice each), Rod Smith, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Holt, Bruce, Darrell Jackson, Plaxico and Roy Williams. I'm pretty sure that he can contain Harrison to a reasonable extent. As for Henry, you have to take the good with the bad. He makes plays coming up and hitting people, batting down balls and creating a bit of chaos on the edges. He created that Int that Watkins had by getting his hand into Boldins target zone and not only breaking up the catch, but keeping it alive to create an Int. Those are the things he does. He makes recievers work for what they get. Can Wayne exploit that? Sure. Will he? We'll find out on Sunday.......but I like our chances.

DMWSackMachine
11-15-2006, 11:55 AM

That's pretty freaky.....but I can't imagine an NFL team not drafting someone just because they don't answer their phone. But it's definitely a head scratcher.

You do have to wonder about the Pack, though. They don't seem to be demonstrating an awful lot of faith in Rodgers. Is there something wrong with him? Or do they just not know how to handle a delicate situation?

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, I just did some research and coming out of college in 1996 Harrison ran a 4.37 and in 2001 Wayne ran a 4.45. Once you take into account Harrison is 5 years older the difference in their speed is probably very, very small. I worded what I wanted to say wrong. While Wayne isn't faster he is more of a threat to beat us deep because of the way the Colts use him. He doesn't average 3 ypc more than Harrison for no reason. I think Newman would do best covering the #2 guy who is more of a deep threat, while Henry with safety help over the top should be able to keep Harrison in check who hasn't done a whole lot downfield yet this season.

dpl85
11-15-2006, 12:58 PM
If I were a betting man I'd bet Newman will cover Harrison almost exclusively and Henry will cover Wayne almost exclusively as well. I think Newman matches up better with Harrison and Henry with Wayne as Harrison is faster and probably more of a deep threat and I think Wayne is a little bigger and more physical.

jbsg02
11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
what it comes down to is that we need to run the ball a lot to keep the colt's O off the field

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Terry Glenn practiced today and is listed as probable.

nrcirc
11-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Should we claim this FB from Cin since we have at least 1 open spot?

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=104

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 02:16 PM

I'm not sure why we would. Hoyte has been playing well so far and is still learning. The FB isn't a key part in the offense so I don't know why you would want two of them. It doesn't make much sense, but I am interested in seeing who we pick up.

DMWSackMachine
11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Well, I just did some research and coming out of college in 1996 Harrison ran a 4.37 and in 2001 Wayne ran a 4.45. Once you take into account Harrison is 5 years older the difference in their speed is probably very, very small. I worded what I wanted to say wrong. While Wayne isn't faster he is more of a threat to beat us deep because of the way the Colts use him. He doesn't average 3 ypc more than Harrison for no reason. I think Newman would do best covering the #2 guy who is more of a deep threat, while Henry with safety help over the top should be able to keep Harrison in check who hasn't done a whole lot downfield yet this season.

*sigh*

Listen, I don't know where you got your sources, or what link you found. Here's a quote from Kiper in the month leading up to the draft after watching the Miami pro-day workout:

WR Reggie Wayne -- Wayne did not run especially well, coming in at 4.56 and 4.60. He also didn't show incredible explosiveness with a 34½-inch vertical, but nobody expected him to approach Moss' speed numbers anyway. He caught the ball, as we did expect, exceptionally well. Wayne is just a fantastic wide receiver, not a speed merchant. His standing may have dropped to a late first-round or early second-round pick.

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0301/1119804.htm

It's confusing to me how you insist on painting Wayne as having anything close to even "good" speed. The best you can say about him is that he is average, but that he finds ways to compensate. There is no way he is going to run past Henry. But, again, speed is overrated in many instances. He has excellent moves, and he just knows how to get open. But there is no way to maintain that his speed is a concern, especially as it pertains to Anthony Henry covering him.

As for your assertion that they "use him", it's just off-base. Yes, they are inclined to use Wayne deep at times. But Harrison is, and always will be, the better deep threat. The reason for the lesser ypc this season is because the Colts often throw the ball to Harrison on short drag routes over the middle of just 2-4 yards, hoping that he can create something with his superior run-after-catch abilities. That's something that can bring your average down in a hurry. They don't do that with Wayne much, as he doesn't bring the same shiftiness to the table.

The most common patterns that Wayne runs are the deep ins/outs, the deep post, and medium crossing routes or digs. Sometimes they use him on double moves down the sidelines, but rarely do they ever just send him on a simple "Go" or 9 route straight down the field. This is reserved almost exclusively for Harrison.

Now, it's not like Wayne can't get open deep, but he doesn't use pure speed to do it. That is not even a consideration for us in approaching this game. Again, I will state that Henry is the perfect corner to match up on Reggie. If he gets burnt, it will not be because of a speed disadvantage.

nrcirc
11-15-2006, 02:26 PM

I'm not sure why we would. Hoyte has been playing well so far and is still learning. The FB isn't a key part in the offense so I don't know why you would want two of them. It doesn't make much sense, but I am interested in seeing who we pick up.

Do you think he can run with the ball? Maybe not. We need some sort of insurance after JJ and MB3. Well, I love to pick up a big DT too. But I don't see anyone available.

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I can't find the site that I found earlier that said 4.45, but I guess I'll concede to you on that. Going into this discussion I didn't know what kind of timed speed Wayne had and when I did a search that's what came up.

You said yourself that they use Harrison on short drag routes, that sounds like the type of thing that Henry excells at defending to me. They haven't used Harrison as much of a deep threat this season, but I'll agree he could probably do it if they wanted. I would rather have my FS deep if they start using Harrisons deep threat to their advantage because they haven't shown it much yet and I wouldn't want to waste Newman there.

I really think that I'm right in the way I would use the secondary, but I don't think the Cowboys will do it. If the Cowboys try it over the course of the game and it doesn't work I'll concede I'm wrong, but I probably won't ever do that unless I see it fail over the course of a game.

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 02:51 PM

Do you think he can run with the ball? Maybe not. We need some sort of insurance after JJ and MB3. Well, I love to pick up a big DT too. But I don't see anyone available.

Well right now I'm not too worried about insurance. I've never been a fan of Kincade, but I would trust him to finish out a game because he knows the offense. If Jones or Barber were going to be out an extended period of time I would look into finding another guy, but until then I wouldn't look for a new guy to bring in unless I saw something in him for the future. It seems pretty resonable to me that we could keep the RBs we have now for a long time and be very happy with them.

I agree that there really aren't any NTs out there and that's why I'm interested in seeing who we pick up. I really have no idea right now and maybe you are right about RB.

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
We resigned Polite. Parcells said he's looking for another LB. He's also worried about TE and NT.

I still don't like the Polite move, I'll feel better about it if we don't use an active roster spot on him. I think it's a waste of space to bring 5 guys in the backfield on gameday.

Burns336
11-15-2006, 03:42 PM
i believe newmans game count of not giving up a touchdown is up to 27 consecutive games but i cant find any hard evidence.

Anyone have a link to something that provides reliable information on touchdowns given up by db's? My roomates dont believe me about Newman and i would also like to see how other big name db's such as hall, bailey, and mcallister match up to newman in the category... Im also interested in seeing henrys stats in this area.

LSUALUM99
11-15-2006, 06:50 PM
My personal opinion is that any coach can take a player out of the game. I also think that it makes more sense to DOUBLE Harrison and leave Newman on Wayne. By and large, I prefer to maximize the advantage that Newman has over a #2 receiver than to 'cancel' it out against a strong #1 receiver.

That being said, Newman will most likely be on Harrison anyway because Harrison lines up as the Flanker almost exclusively while Wayne is the Split End almost exclusively. The Colts almost always have the same alignment. The Cowboys almost always have Newman as the left CB with Henry as the Right CB. Typically though, Newman goes inside in the Nickle, and if they continue to do that, Harrison will have a field day while Stokely will be shut out.

The whole game will be about match ups on the outside. But if our LB's don't do a good job in coverage it will be a very long day.

The longer the game goes on that the Cowboys are tied / leading / down by 7pts or less the better off. Speed wins early, size wins late. We have the size, they have the speed. We need to withstand the early part of the game to begin imposing our will on them in the later portion.

D-Unit
11-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Does anyone else think that we should start giving Ware more opportunities on the strong side? If we start utilizing him on both sides of the field, we should be able to create better match ups... no?

Poet3334
11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I do. I think it's too easy for the opponent to gameplan for Ware knowing he's coming from the weak side. Besides, I'd like to see what he can do moved around.

Jdallas
11-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Does anyone else think that we should start giving Ware more opportunities on the strong side? If we start utilizing him on both sides of the field, we should be able to create better match ups... no?

Give me an example. I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work.

D-Unit
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM

Give me an example. I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work.
Well I'm pretty sure Joey Porter is used interchangeably on both sides. I may be oversimplifying the idea, but it would seem beneficial for our Defense if we could confuse offenses by aligning Ware in different spots and taking advantage of mismatches. It wouldn't work if he wasn't effective, but I'd like to give him a chance to show what he could do on the Strong side. He seems to have the right combination of size and skills to do it. Last year it might've been wrong to try it, but with his weight gain, ever growing experience, and Ellis' injury, this year might be a good time to try it.