PDA

View Full Version : Favre Does Not Want Out

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 09:02 AM
POSTED 6:55 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 7:18 a.m. EDT, May 13, 2007

LORD FAVRE IS DISPLEASED

Packers quarterback Brett Favre was widely believed to be pushing for the addition of receiver Randy Moss to the team. We had heard on numerous occasions that Favre was convinced that Moss would be a Packer in 2007.

But it didn't happen. Two weeks after the fact, Favre is sounding off about it.

"It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn't want to restructure his contract were not true," Favre told the Biloxi Sun Herald.

"He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had [agent] Bus [Cook] call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough either."

But Moss is getting no guaranteed money in New England either, so if the Packers were willing to pay $3 million with no guaranteed money and give up a fourth-round draft pick, Moss chose the same deal in New England over Green Bay. Indeed, agent Tim DiPiero said on the official Randy Moss web site that the Pats were the first team that they called once Moss got permission to shop himself.

So if what Favre is saying is accurate, Moss wanted a better deal from the Packers than the Patriots were willing to give him.

But, as far as Favre goes, the only thing that matters is what Favre thinks. And he thinks that the team could have had Moss, and that the team is trying to send Favre a subtle message.

"I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," Favre said. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me." (Emphasis added.)

We think he's right. We believe that G.M. Ted Thompson has been playing the passive-aggressive routine over the past two offseasons, saying all the right things about Favre but doing nothing to make him happy. Last April, during the infamous press conference about nothing, Favre said that he wanted to see the team bring in a Reggie White-style free agent. In 13 months since then, the closest Thompson has gotten to it is Charles Woodson, an underachieving defensive back who has been okay at best.

Moss was their best chance to get a true game-changer, and it was well known that Favre wanted him. How could Favre view the decision not to close the deal as anything other than a message to him that his opinion doesn't matter anymore?

"I told [receiver] Donald [Driver] to imagine a one-back set with a three-man rotation," Favre said. "Who would they cover? If they double Randy, Donald would be in single coverage. Last year, he caught 92 balls in double and triple coverage and made the Pro Bowl.

"Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?'

"I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win."

So why is Favre saying all of this? We think he's trying to get the Cheeseheads ready for what could come next -- a request for a trade or an abrupt retirement. And, like Donovan McNabb in Philly, Favre wants to be sure that the ultimate blame for any divorce gets put on the team.

And, if this ends in an ugly fashion, we think that's precisely where the blame should be placed. If the Packers don't want Favre, they shouldn't separate in cowardly fashion by frustrating him to the point that he walks. The team should simply end it and move on. (Or move out.)

Hey, maybe they can sign Todd Pinkston.

HAS FAVRE ALREADY ASKED FOR A TRADE?

We've received several e-mails over the past week or so suggesting that message board postings from an administrator named "DavidPHX" on Brett Favre's official web site indicate that Favre has asked for a trade. "DavidPHX" has been characterized to us by multiple readers as a long-time Favre friend.

In response to a rumor that Favre has asked to be traded in the wake of the Randy Moss mess, DavidPHX posted on May 5, "Sorry Folks but I can't deny this rumor."

Later in the day, DavidPHX elaborated: "Hypothetically let's say it was true, it is more a personal issue between someone and [Ted Thompson]. Honesty, integrity is very important to some. It is not an issue of a player demanding a certain person on the team. That person would never do this. It could be a issue that a certain person told him you give an answer [about playing in 2007] before the [Super Bowl] and I will get you help? Then that person leading him to believe that he was serious about Randy?"

Then, DavidPHX added this: "Many of the reporters in Green Bay have heard this rumor also. Problem is they fear someone to[o] much to write about it. They want a certain person to confirm and that person is way to[o] loyal and not that type of a football player to let personal issues become part of the game?"

Apparently, "that person" recently has decided to blow off some steam on this one, and it might not be long before word comes out that Favre has asked to be moved.

But where would Favre land if he is traded? Miami? Oakland? Cleveland? Kansas City? There simply aren't many cities where a starting quarterback is needed.

The Saints would have been a great fit in 2006, and we have a feeling Favre now regrets not trying to make it happen. But the Saints weren't considered a year ago to be a potential contender in 2006, and there's no clear-cut contender in 2007 that needs a starting quarterback.

Or is there? If the Falcons were to decide to dump or trade Michael Vick, Favre could go back to the place where he started, and try to lead the team to heights that Vick never will.

Such a move would also help keep the Georgia Dome full while the franchise tries to refocus on winning games and not on making money via the Michael Vick machine.

And what about the Cowboys? Sure, Tony Romo is the future. But could Jerry Jones resist the chance to bring in Brett Favre for a season or two? It would help Romo's development, and it would provide a short-term upgrade.

Finally, the Bears would be more likely to win a Super Bowl with Favre instead of Rex Grossman, but we can't imagine Brett even entertaining the possibility of playing for the Packers' arch-rivals.

Draft King
05-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Pretty sure Favre isn't coming back to ATL, sorry to break it to you. Nice sig quote BTW.

M1Koter
05-13-2007, 09:14 AM
yeah, farve wants out, OK, you seriously belive this

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 09:15 AM
not hardly but i just thought id post it i thought it was an alright read

Ace
05-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Pretty sure Favre isn't coming back to ATL, sorry to break it to you. Nice sig quote BTW.

He'll surely be better then that overrated QB you have who likes to have dog fights.

Jelephant87
05-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Don't know if I'd say he wants out. However, I believe it was the fox 6 news I saw last night when they were talking to him at his charity golf event and he sounded pretty ticked off.

sweetness34
05-13-2007, 10:11 AM
I can't say I disagree with him. GB has done nothing to address their skill players this offseason. They don't really have any TE's, and not a lot of depth at WR. They also lost their #1 RB and have to rely on Jackson and Morency to carry the load. Olsen, Bowe, and Meachem were sitting right there for them and they drafted a DT which they reached on.

Sportsfan486
05-13-2007, 10:36 AM
He needs to stop whining and just retire if he's unhappy.. I love Brett Favre, I think he's the best QB in the history of the game but wtf? Let the coach and management do their jobs.

umphrey
05-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Favre isn't our coach, it seems like a lot of people don't understand that. If his balls are really in such a twist over 1 FA then there isn't much we can do but let him whine about it. But wait, the author heard from some forum post that he's gonna try to get traded...

Sportsfan486
05-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Favre isn't our coach, it seems like a lot of people don't understand that. If his balls are really in such a twist over 1 FA then there isn't much we can do but let him whine about it. But wait, the author heard from some forum post that he's gonna try to get traded...

A FA that a lot of fans didn't want because of a history of disrespecting the fanbase, a general ****** attitude and a lack of recent production.

Favre needs to shut his mouth, he's talked way too much over the last few years and his reputation won't protect him forever.

sweetness34
05-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Uh oh some hostility between "God" and the cheeseheads. Say it ain't so, say it ain't so.

Boston
05-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Ha. Yeah right. Favre is every position in the packers organization. And he's right, we haven't done anything to address anything on offense. Our biggest free agent signing was Frank Walker.

princefielder28
05-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Uh oh some hostility between "God" and the cheeseheads. Say it ain't so, say it ain't so.

God is the highest of authority though

Sportsfan486
05-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Uh oh some hostility between Favre and the cheeseheads. Say it ain't so, say it ain't so.

I'll always have a supreme mancrush on Favre but he talks too freely to the media these days, it's annoying hearing about some of the stuff he spouts on about.

Boston
05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll always have a supreme mancrush on Favre but he talks too freely to the media these days, it's annoying hearing about some of the stuff he spouts on about.

Yeah, god forbid he "spout on about" the lack of offensive weapons he has. Have you even read about some of the stuff he's said. I'd be pissed if I was him to. Quit whining.

Sportsfan486
05-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, god forbid he "spout on about" the lack of offensive weapons he has. Have you even read about some of the stuff he's said. I'd be pissed if I was him to. Quit whining.

There are a LOT of teams with less weapons than us.

We have an all-pro receiver, a 2nd year WR that looks like a future all-pro, a former all-pro TE, two young and talented RBs, a good O-line.

Yeah, I realize he wants to sleep with a 30 year old WR with serious attitude problems that has averaged 51 receptions and 5.5 TDs the last two years.

The COACH and MANAGEMENT that ACTUALLY run the team are doing what they feel is neccessary to win. Favre is a great QB but he's not the coach so he needs to let them do their jobs. If that includes only bringing in quality guys that will do well in the locker room as well as the field, I'm all for it.

sweetness34
05-13-2007, 12:00 PM
There are a LOT of teams with less weapons than us.

We have an all-pro receiver, a 2nd year WR that looks like a future all-pro, a former all-pro TE, two young and talented RBs, a good O-line.

Yeah, I realize he wants to sleep with a 30 year old WR with serious attitude problems that has averaged 51 receptions and 5.5 TDs the last two years.

The COACH and MANAGEMENT that ACTUALLY run the team are doing what they feel is neccessary to win. Favre is a great QB but he's not the coach so he needs to let them do their jobs. If that includes only bringing in quality guys that will do well in the locker room as well as the field, I'm all for it.

Key words, former and future all pros. Jennings has a ways to go before that happens and Franks is over the hill. Favre has one offensive weapon, and that's Driver. I agree with Boston on this one.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
POSTED 1:41 p.m. EDT, May 13, 2007

GLAZER REPORTS THAT FAVRE ASKED TO BE TRADED

At a time when all NFL eyes were watching the drama that was unfolding between the Eagles and quarterback Donovan McNabb, a full-blown crisis was quietly playing out in another NFC town.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre asked to be traded in the days after the 2007 draft.

Per Glazer, agent Bus Cook called G.M. Ted Thompson two or three days after the draft and said that Favre is fed up with the organization and wants out. Coach Mike McCarthy immediately began trying to reach Favre by phone, but Favre ignored his calls for a week.

When the two men finally spoke, McCarthy apparently calmed Favre's fury to the point that Favre admitted he didn't want to play elsewhere. But given Favre's recent comments to the Biloxi Sun Herald, about which we wrote earlier on Sunday, it appears that Brett still has a bug buried in his butt.

This latest development meshes with rumors floated on Favre's official web site by a message board administrator. (Scroll down for more.) It also seems that confirm what many league insiders have long believed -- that Favre doesn't care much for G.M. Ted Thompson, who has done little if anything to upgrade the veteran talent on the team over the past three years.

Glazer says that the Packers have no plans to trade Favre, whose contract (per NFLPA records) runs through 2010 and pays him a base salary of $11 million this year. But why would they want him if he doesn't want to be there? And if they won't trade him, maybe he'll just call it quits and let them try to win with (gulp) Aaron Rodgers.

In our view, this one is far from over. And we have a feeling that either Favre or Thompson won't be with the team when the 2007 season begins.

whether its true or not i cant blame him.

princefielder28
05-13-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't blame Favre. We replace Ahman Green with Brandon Jackson, we don't add a deep threat at wide receiver, and we don't get a pass catching tight end.

NickCollins36
05-13-2007, 01:48 PM
if i were favre i would be pissed as well knowing the packers werent willing to trade a freakin 4th round pick for moss

PACKmanN
05-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Why do we have to make Favre happy? If he doesnt like it he can always retire. Moss has said he would not redo his contract for us and thats why TT back away. 9 million a year for someone thats 50/50 isnt worth it at all.

GB12
05-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Why do we have to make Favre happy? If he doesnt like it he can always retire. Moss has said he would not redo his contract for us and thats why TT back away. 9 million a year for someone thats 50/50 isnt worth it at all.

That has been the rumor, but now it is known that infact Moss would have restructured his contract for us to around 3 million. Favre also said that he would have taken a paycut to get Moss.

Moses
05-13-2007, 02:04 PM

That's not true. Moss was said to have agreed to restructure to 3 million per year. However, the Packers would not make any of that money guaranteed even if Favre sacrificed some of his salary to make the deal happen. That's what has been reported anyway.

princefielder28
05-13-2007, 02:05 PM

Thats not the only thing; The Packers did not draft to improve the offense right now and in FA we didn't add jack squat.

GB12
05-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Thats not the only thing; The Packers did not draft to improve the offense right now and in FA we didn't add jack squat.

We didn't really have a chance to improve the offense right away through the draft. Unless you are trying to say we should have taken Bowe at 16, which would have been a terrible move.

PACKmanN
05-13-2007, 02:09 PM

well who could have we added to make us better? the only person i can think of is that FB from ATL, who didnt want to sign with us due to Oakland had his old coaching staff and he likes Oakland(Cal) over Green Bay(Wisconsin) and who wouldnt. I understand that TT process/vision for this team is going way too slow but it will pay off in a year or two. We have to remember and sometimes Favre has to remember too. We went from 4-12 to 8-8.

Moses
05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
well who could have we added to make us better? the only person i can think of is that FB from ATL, who didnt want to sign with us due to Oakland had his old coaching staff and he likes Oakland(Cal) over Green Bay(Wisconsin) and who wouldnt. I understand that TT process/vision for this team is going way too slow but it will pay off in a year or two. We have to remember and sometimes Favre has to remember too. We went from 4-12 to 8-8.

I think the important thing is that this team is getting better every year. Also, bringing in a big-time free agent at this point is almost counter-productive because the Packers aren't one player away from achieving anything. In a year or two the Packers will be in much better position with a core of players that is reaching their prime. This is when they should add some big-time free agents and make a big push for the Super Bowl. It's all about timing.

TitleTown088
05-13-2007, 02:55 PM
He was just pissed after the draft, He's chilled out now.

TitleTown088
05-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh another thing.... "He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. [b]I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough either." [b]

Are you ******* kidding me Ted, Brett offered to pay for him? TT is losing my respect real quick if this is in fact true. If he drives die furur out of town his job is gone. I am not a Moss supporter but Favre needs somthign to work with, ****.

jag
05-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Brett needs to realize that this team will be nowhere near the Super Bowl, for at least 2 more years. It's not like Randy Moss suddenly turns you into the Patriots. The overall talent just isn't there, and the sooner Brett realizes that the better.

Sportsfan486
05-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Brett needs to realize that this team will be nowhere near the Super Bowl, for at least 2 more years. It's not like Randy Moss suddenly turns you into the Patriots. The overall talent just isn't there, and the sooner Brett realizes that the better.

Yeah, Moss hasn't even produced lately. He's getting old and that negates the only thing he ever had going for him (freak speed/athleticism.)

Jim Jim
05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/05/13/1/

This proves to me that TT is worried.

princefielder28
05-13-2007, 04:05 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/05/13/1/

This proves to me that TT is worried.

I would agree that TT is a bit worried

TitleTown088
05-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I would agree that TT is a bit worried
He should be. IF he drives Favre out of town he will be on the hot seat.

jag
05-13-2007, 04:22 PM
He should be. IF he drives Favre out of town he will be on the hot seat.

If management gives a **** about this team, he won't be.

jackalope
05-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't see anything coming of this. Favre is just upset that we didn't add anyone, but he's not going anywhere. This should be his last year.

sweetness34
05-13-2007, 05:24 PM
We didn't really have a chance to improve the offense right away through the draft. Unless you are trying to say we should have taken Bowe at 16, which would have been a terrible move.

Olsen? Meachem?

Btw, taking Bowe at 16 wasn't a reach because he was considered pretty good value at 23 or wherever the Chiefs took him.

GB12
05-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Olsen? Meachem?

Btw, taking Bowe at 16 wasn't a reach because he was considered pretty good value at 23 or wherever the Chiefs took him.

Not bad value, but he'd be a third WR. Third WRs can be found in later rounds, but impact defensive tackles are a lot harder to find. It would be a couple years before a WR would start, which also gives time for someone to devolp. Hopefully that will be James Jones, but if not we can get someone next year or even the year after.

Moses
05-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Olsen? Meachem?

Olsen, Meachem, and Bowe would all have been bigger reaches than Harrell in my opinion. Harrell was drafted around where I think his value was, he just didn't really fill a need. Harrell was clearly a better value than any skilled offensive player would have been at that point in the 1st round.

Also, the Packers did address WR and RB in the draft. That's something that I think people are missing when analyzing Green Bay's draft. They grabbed two WRs who fit the system well and should have no trouble making the roster. In a few years, it wouldn't surprise me to see either Clowney or Jones as the #2 or #3 receiver. Plus, they already have a ton of young guys like Carlyle Holliday, Ruvell Martin, Carlton Brewster, etc. who showed flashes last season. I think WR is set for the time being until the Packers see how some of these young guys pan out.

As for runningback, Brandon Jackson was the best the Packers could do. They didn't have a shot at Peterson or Lynch so they got one of the guys from that second tier of runningbacks. Jackson is a perfect fit for what the Packers do (ZBS, can catch out of backfield, balance of speed, power, and evasiveness) and he can't really be seen as a bad pick. The Packers grabbed their runningback to team with Morency and a guy that could eventually carry the load himself if need be.

The only spot that the Packers didn't do a good job addressing was tight end. That said, only Olsen could really be seen as a guy who would make an impact on this squad. Every other tight end in this draft seems like more of situational or depth player. Even so, the Packers did grab Clark Harris in the 7th and he could end up earning a roster spot.

All in all, the Packers addressed the skill positions in this draft it just remains to be seen if these players will pan out, and if they do, how long it will take. Jones is somewhat of a project and likely won't be anything more than a #3 or #4 for at least a year or two. Clowney is a guy that should see reps early because he'll be the Packers biggest deep threat but he also needs a lot of work. Jackson should see about 50% of the carries next year and will also be used heavily as a receiver out of the backfield. I can easily see the duo of Morency and Jackson going for over 1500+ total yards. I wouldn't even be that surprised if they got to around 1800 or so. The Packers have the talent on offence, it just comes down to whether they will develop as the Packers hoped they would when they drafted them.

Boston
05-13-2007, 06:12 PM
If management gives a **** about this team, he won't be.

You don't realize how this is team is run. **** management. If TT runs Favre out of town, the fans will have his head. That's how it works.

princefielder28
05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
You don't realize how this is team is run. **** management. If TT runs Favre out of town, the fans will have his head. That's how it works.

Thats right. Favre comes first and then everyone else

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 06:54 PM
heres a little update from pft

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

GB12
05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
heres a little update from pft

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I was actually thinking about if it would make Keyshawn a greater possibility. I would love for that to happen, but I don't think it will. That would call for TT to admit that he was wrong by not getting Moss. It would also hinder the young guys that he brought in. I just can't see him doing it, but I'd like it to happen.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I was actually thinking about if it would make Keyshawn a greater possibility. I would love for that to happen, but I don't think it will. That would call for TT to admit that he was wrong by not getting Moss. It would also hinder the young guys that he brought in. I just can't see him doing it, but I'd like it to happen.
i wouldnt mind for it to happen either, however you have to realize that we dont throw our money around and we arent exactly the most attractive place on the market

bearsfan_51
05-13-2007, 07:09 PM
What makes Justin Harrell an impact DT? The fact that the Packers drafted him and you're a Packers fan? Before the Packers drafted him did you say to yourself "man that Justin Harrell is an impact defensive tackle"? Nobody was saying that. He was a late 1st round player by everyone's estimation.

GB12
05-13-2007, 07:21 PM
What makes Justin Harrell an impact DT? The fact that the Packers drafted him and you're a Packers fan? Before the Packers drafted him did you say to yourself "man that Justin Harrell is an impact defensive tackle"? Nobody was saying that. He was a late 1st round player by everyone's estimation.

I have been calling to take a defensive tackle since December. It wasn't Harrell then, but Amobi Okoye. I have felt that we were one top talent player away from a great defense, should Harrell return all right after his injury he fits that role. I have also never wanted a first round reciever, I was against that the whole time. I'm not jumping on to some idea because it happened, look back at some of my old posts and you'll see that. Maybe I didn't say Harrell specifically, but he matches the kind of guy I wanted.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
i wont lie. i have never even heard of this kid before draft day.

neko4
05-13-2007, 07:32 PM

Many people said he was the top (or 2nd) DT, before an injury thats all ive really heard. Also Yahoo has the Favre story on the front page, now im really scared

JF4
05-13-2007, 07:33 PM

No offense but then you didn't know too much about the DT's in the draft. He was rising and rising ever since his pro day and like like bf51 said he was thought to be a late first round pick by most people. In reality it was probably a reach but there's nothing wrong with reaching for a guy that you think will be a good player and thats what TT did. I think Justin Harrell can have an impact this year, he can really help with the interior run stopping. We have a bunch of DL who are mainly pass rushers and Harrell should be a real nice compliment to them

Boston
05-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Many people said he was the top (or 2nd) DT, before an injury thats all ive really heard. Also Yahoo has the Favre story on the front page, now im really scared

First of all, it's not on the front page, and it's not even the main article. And second of all, there was nothing on a trade in that article, you know, the one you've probably read 5 times already. There's no point in speculating about what some journalists do to get face time.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
No offense but then you didn't know too much about the DT's in the draft. He was rising and rising ever since his pro day and like like bf51 said he was thought to be a late first round pick by most people. In reality it was probably a reach but there's nothing wrong with reaching for a guy that you think will be a good player and thats what TT did. I think Justin Harrell can have an impact this year, he can really help with the interior run stopping. We have a bunch of DL who are mainly pass rushers and Harrell should be a real nice compliment to them
yeah i didnt think we would take a dt early so i didnt pay as much attention to it

TitleTown088
05-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Not from me, but I think this sums it up pretty well...

From what I heard on Fox6 was about two days after the draft Favre had his agent Bus Cook call TT and say Brett was open to being traded, and then immediately after was called numerous times by MM but couldn't be reached, finally they reached each other and had what Favre told Fox 6 was a "real positive talk" in which Favre was reassured by MM basically the team was better and a contender.

In otherwords MM cleaned up teds little mess.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Not from me, but I think this sums it up pretty well...

From what I heard on Fox6 was about two days after the draft Favre had his agent Bus Cook call TT and say Brett was open to being traded, and then immediately after was called numerous times by MM but couldn't be reached, finally they reached each other and had what Favre told Fox 6 was a "real positive talk" in which Favre was reassured by MM basically the team was better and a contender.

In otherwords MM cleaned up teds little mess.
thats good to hear because i wouldnt want either of them to pack their bags prematurely as the pft articles suggest

Boston
05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
thats good to hear because i wouldnt want either of them to pack their bags prematurely as the pft articles suggest

PFT blows. There like the Sanjaya of sports reporting.

TitleTown088
05-13-2007, 08:57 PM

PFT said MM was on his way out?

johbur
05-14-2007, 05:00 AM
What makes Justin Harrell an impact DT? He was a late 1st round player by everyone's estimation.

Ummm... What exactly else would you call your first round draft picks. Logan Mankins wasn't considered to be an impact OL, but then the Pats took him and media types slathered his pole. Pre-season, Harrell is what he's listed as being: An active, strong interior lineman good at stuffing the run, with coaches hopeful that he can use his considerable drive and athleticism to provide some pass rush. He's also injured the biceps and had an ankle injury.

Mike Shannahan came out and said he would have taken Harrell, but when GB did, he moved up so they didn't lose out on their Plan B. Mid-round grade with talent, the injuries make me nervous and DT was not the weak spot for the Packers last year, so I would have much rather have had Greg Olsen splitting the seam. We'll see when we play the Bears if he's worth a spit. I also liked Nelson in the first round, or flipping picks with Cleveland and taking Syd Rice or Dwayne Jarrett in the early second, plus getting Cleveland's 1st rounder next year.

Those were my preferences. Getting a starting quality (which one would hope ANY first rounder would of starting quality) DT in the middle of the round isn't that bad. If the defense gets good enough, we can contend for the division. The Bears, Ravens and Bucs have all done so and they didn't have Favre. There's some other things with this particular draft I didn't like all that much, but TT had 11 picks and if this class is only half as good as last year's class, there'll still be three starters from the bunch.

I don't see either Favre or TT leaving this season, and I hope they'll both be back next season.

sweetness34
05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll say this. I think Harrell can become a good player but I have my doubts, and I certainly felt there was better value at that pick. But hey, if they wanted to try and fill a "need" area, they certainly did that.

Moses
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I'll say this. I think Harrell can become a good player but I have my doubts, and I certainly felt there was better value at that pick. But hey, if they wanted to try and fill a "need" area, they certainly did that.

The last thing they did was fill a need. DT was already well solidified. Sure, Harrell will make the group even better but it wasn't a weak spot.

GB12
05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Surprise surprise, he doesn't want to leave. http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=5/14/2007&id=23448 Like I said, Glazer put words in his mouth.

jackalope
05-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Surprise surprise, he doesn't want to leave. http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=5/14/2007&id=23448 Like I said, Glazer put words in his mouth.That's basically what I figured.

Boston
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Really? But I thought Jay Glazer knew everything.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-14-2007, 05:21 PM
PFT said MM was on his way out?
they suggested that either TT or Favre will not be with the team opening day i believe. but yes the matter has been put to rest, favre issued a statement. of course this would blow over, do you even know how much backlash there would be if favre was traded?

The Legend
05-15-2007, 09:35 AM
they suggested that either TT or Favre will not be with the team opening day i believe. but yes the matter has been put to rest, favre issued a statement. of course this would blow over, do you even know how much backlash there would be if favre was traded?

T.T. would be hated

VY10
05-15-2007, 02:43 PM
He just got frustrated. You could never ever ever convince me that Favre would leave the Packers at this stage in his career.

johbur
05-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Steve Young had a good article on Favre. When the 9ers decided they weren't going to continue to compete for championships, Young quit. Jerry Rice didn't. Favre won't. Hopefully TT is putting together a good enough squad to compete for the playoffs. We'll see pretty early in the season if the Packers are competitive or not, as I think the front half of the schedule is tougher than the back half.