PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Rice in 2008

Modano
05-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm arguing with a guy wo thinks that if Sidney Rice wouldn't have declared for this year's draft he should have been the #1 WR in the 2008 draft.
I think there's no way he should have been ahead of Sweed, Manningham, Jackson and Bowman.
What do you think?

Sportsfan486
05-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Sidney Rice was drafted so sorta a moot point..

Besides that, he would have been the top prospect from beginning of the year to the draft most likely. He was a more complete and dangerous receiver than any of those other guys.

lod01
05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Way ahead of Sweed. Probably ahead of Bowman. Battling Manningham and Jackson for the top spot.

Jimmy
05-13-2007, 01:12 PM
everyone is gonna say that since he ran a poor 40, he would have been a 2nd rounder

the guy would have had a great college year, and probably would have had a chance. tell your buddy there is no use arguing since you'll never know, but there was a decent chance he could have emerged as that #1, had eh decided to work on that 40 of his

ironman4579
05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
I think you have to look at it in a Jarrett type of scenario though. All his production really didn't mean much when teams saw his 40 time. Should he have been rated or drafted higher? Probably, but it's something that I could see having happened to Rice as well.

Acreboy
05-13-2007, 01:19 PM
everyone is gonna say that since he ran a poor 40, he would have been a 2nd rounder

the guy would have had a great college year, and probably would have had a chance. tell your buddy there is no use arguing since you'll never know, but there was a decent chance he could have emerged as that #1, had eh decided to work on that 40 of hisHe's a Steve Spurrier WR. Nuff said.

Modano
05-13-2007, 01:19 PM
He was taken after Ted Ginn, Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez. I don't think he could have had a chance of being picked before Jackson (who is better than Ginn), Manningham (who is better than Davis), Sweed (who I think could be on the level of Bowe next year) and Bowman (who is better than Gonzo).

High Roller
05-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I think he would've been mid first rounder. He should've stayed...

fenikz
05-13-2007, 01:28 PM
with a extra year you never know, but i dont think he would of went any higher than he did

etk
05-13-2007, 02:00 PM
He's a Steve Spurrier WR. Nuff said.

He was recruited before Spurrier got there. I can't see Sweed being drafted ahead of him, they're similar players but Rice has better production and is more polished.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-13-2007, 02:35 PM
you cant be to sure where he would have gone.I thought he was overated coming inot this draft though.He would have been the #1 WR.BUt hed be a better prospect.

keylime_5
05-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Manningham, Jackson, and Malcolm Kelly are better prospects. But I'd say it's a toss up for fourth between him, Sweed, Monk, and some of those other big names for 2008. Doesn't really matter though b/c he was a 2nd rounder this year and that's that

Jimmy
05-13-2007, 05:32 PM
He's a Steve Spurrier WR. Nuff said.

thats rediculous, he isnt a product of spurier.. see what he did freshman year? see what he did in HS?

Acreboy
05-13-2007, 05:45 PM
thats rediculous, he isnt a product of spurier.. see what he did freshman year? see what he did in HS?Misspelling ridiculous is ridiculous.

Spurrier's system makes WR's #'s out to be more than they actually are. It's a known fact.

Go_Eagles77
05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
I think he's gonna be the #1 reciever on the Vikings by the time the season starts.

BuckNaked
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I think he's gonna be the #1 reciever on the Vikings by the time the season starts.

Not when the season starts, but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes it during the course of the season.

Zyro_1014
05-13-2007, 07:01 PM
I think Rice wouldve been the number 1 out of all those guys cuz he had proven himself during his freshmen and sophmore seasons. He has the size and speed, but he came out in a class full of guys better than him.

schmiddog
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
He would have definitely been a top 15 pick like he should have been this year

Bengals1690
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
he reminds me alot o chad johnson, hes just not as humorous. i think he will be a star.

Woody56
05-13-2007, 10:04 PM
thats rediculous, he isnt a product of spurier.. see what he did freshman year? see what he did in HS?

his freshman year was under spurrier and who cares what a guy does in high school.

bored of education
05-13-2007, 10:28 PM
If he had over 1200 receiving yards he could have been anywhere from 1st to 4th WR taken.

wogitalia
05-14-2007, 01:08 AM

That really doesnt mean much. Like being the best lineman on the Raiders or something.

nobodyinparticular
05-14-2007, 01:47 AM
That really doesnt mean much. Like being the best lineman on the Raiders or something.

Best QB for the Raiders last season... Yikes...

schmiddog
05-14-2007, 02:20 AM
If he had over 1200 receiving yards he could have been anywhere from 1st to 4th WR taken.

That's a pretty silly way of looking at it. You can maybe set that bar at 1000, but either way, he's more than proven that his athleticism,ball skills, and hands are all rare enough to merit first round consideration.

Iamcanadian
05-14-2007, 06:14 AM
The NFL advisory committee which tells players how scouts view their potential obviously told Rice he had 2nd round talent whether he came out or stayed for another year. He simply lacks elite speed to ever be considered a real top prospect. 2nd round was as high as he was ever going to be drafted.

theogt
05-14-2007, 06:33 AM
thats rediculous, he isnt a product of spurier.. see what he did freshman year? see what he did in HS?It took him 112 pass attempts to get to 1090 yards.

That's not horrible, but it's not good either. He gets so many yards because they pass to him so much. What does that sound like? Oh, yeah, a product o fthe Spurrier system.

I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's not as good as his raw numbers show.

schmiddog
05-14-2007, 11:56 AM
It took him 112 pass attempts to get to 1090 yards.

That's not horrible, but it's not good either. He gets so many yards because they pass to him so much. What does that sound like? Oh, yeah, a product o fthe Spurrier system.

I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's not as good as his raw numbers show.

Good thing he had great QB's to toss him the ball......

robert_in_bigd
05-14-2007, 12:10 PM

the guy would have had a great college year, and probably would have had a chance. tell your buddy there is no use arguing since you'll never know, but there was a decent chance he could have emerged as that #1, had eh decided to work on that 40 of his

I already told Mr Modano the obvious but he is a bit petulant so he started this thread.

Modano
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I already told Mr Modano the obvious but he is a bit petulant so he started this thread.

Aboslutely no way Rice would have been picked ahead of AT LEAST Desean Jackson.

lod01
05-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Many of the Gator WRs who have been proclaimed a 'Spurrier WR' catch with their body, not their hands: Crossing the middle for a high pass, they jump up and allows the ball to get into their chest (Reidel Anthony, Jacquez Green, and Ike Hilliard) instead of catching it with their hands (Sidney Rice). They were drafted too high by badly run franchises.

Rice is no 'Spurrier WR'. You can easily determine who is clueless when they make statements like 'Spurrier WR' or Penn State RB'. It's such a ridiculous statement. I was never high on Anthony, Green or Hilliard and I knew Williamson sucks because that bum can't catch even if he uses his body and had 20 gallons of Lester Hayes stick em.

Darrell Jackson: Gator under Spurrier. Pretty good career becasue he's a good WR.

Maybe Calvin Johnson is just another Yellow Jacket WR. None have ever amounted to anything so he won't based on your 'Spurrier WR' statement.

theogt
05-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Good thing he had great QB's to toss him the ball......Newton and Mitchell had a combined completion percentage of 63%. They were accurate by all standard. When they threw the ball, players caught them. So your point is meaningless. It took him many more passes than it should have to justify that stat line.

Rice is a fine 2nd/3rd round receiver that can be productive in the NFL, but likely not a long-term #1 target.

To say he is now or would be next season a #1 pick is a stretch.