PDA

View Full Version : 2008 1st round pick?

Oaktown1981
05-13-2007, 02:54 PM
What position do you think the Raiders will address in the 1st round next year?

OT, WR, DT, SLB Would be my guess as of now.

Here is a list of the top prospects

1. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas Jr.
2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
3. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
4. Calais Campbell, DE, Miami, Jr.
5. Kenny Phillips, S, Miami, Jr.
6. Jared Gaither, OT, Maryland, Jr.
7. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
8. Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida, Jr.
9. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
10. Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
11. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
12. Frank Okam, DT, Texas
13. Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
14. Sam Baker, OT, USC
15. Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma, JR.
16. DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal, Jr.
17. James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio St, Jr.
18. Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia
19. Brian Cushing, LB, USC, Jr.
20. Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas AM

NIN1984
05-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I really like Glenn Dorsey, but if we go offense I would like Jake Long or DeSean Jackson. But I hope we don't pick top 10

I'm sick of that

Komp
05-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Hmmm I think we will be around the Pick 8-15 section of the draft. If our OL struggles again we have no choice but to go after a top OT [looks like it might be a good year for OL next year]. If the OL doesn't do too badly I see us either going with DL or RB if Bush doesn't heal up. In either case I see our draft board looking like this:

1 - OT [Even if Gallery plays well, Sims is pretty much finished]
2 - Desean Jackson [cause he is a local product and JR might need a new toy]
3 - DT [to replace Sapp]
4 - RB [If Bush doesn't pan out we need a franchise RB]

Oaktown1981
05-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Hmmm I think we will be around the Pick 8-15 section of the draft. If our OL struggles again we have no choice but to go after a top OT [looks like it might be a good year for OL next year]. If the OL doesn't do too badly I see us either going with DL or RB if Bush doesn't heal up. In either case I see our draft board looking like this:

3 - DT [to replace Sapp]
4 - RB [If Bush doesn't pan out we need a franchise RB]

Mike Bush may not even play in 2007 so I don't think the Raiders will be quick to judge him. There is no rush into playing Bush in 07 Raiders have depth at the RB position this year with Jordan, Rhodes, Fargas, Griffith

This does look like a good year to have need for an OT. Long, Baker, Gaither ect

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-13-2007, 06:54 PM
DT is puzzling.We may need a NT or a UT.
From what Ive heard is that Brayton may move to the inside and Kelly to the outside.If Sands can do well at NT and Brayton at UT we would probably only go DT for depth.I think we made need to go both NT and UT day one though.I think Brayton fits best as a DE in the 3-4.ANd I dont think he'll do well at UT.Sands hasnt proven himself as a consistent starter but I think and hope he does.

Komp
05-13-2007, 10:56 PM
You think Brayton will pan out at UT? I have my doubts....he is learning from one of the best and he will be quick for the position tho.

bernbabybern820
05-14-2007, 10:27 AM
You think Brayton will pan out at UT? I have my doubts....he is learning from one of the best and he will be quick for the position tho.

I dont even know if he will even be quick for his position. He still has to gain like 15 pounds. Hopefully it works out for him because he is a hard worker. Anyways, like many others i think that we have to draft an OT to replace Sims.

nobodyinparticular
05-15-2007, 12:24 AM

3 - DT [to replace Sapp]
4 - RB

I'll agree with RB. I would love to grab a guy like Steve Slaton to add some greased lightning to the running game. At DT, I have no idea what the heck is going on. Sapp played amazingly well last year and I hope he does it again, but as everyone knows, we can't count on him to last much longer. Then we have Terdell Sands who we just signed to a pretty nice sized contract, and we have Tommy Kelly. Kelly was a bit of a disappointment for me last season because he was picked by a lot of people to have a breakout year. He didn't. But was that possibly due to being miscast? What do we really expect from him when there are 2 3-tech DTs on the field 75% of the time. He certainly did better with Sands next to him.

I am getting really tired of the Desean Jackson-mania in Oakland. Sure, he's a nice returner, but I need to see a [i]lot more of him actually playing well as a receiver before I call him a 1st rounder at all. I'd look for Limas Sweed or Adarius Bowman before Jackson to fill in the hole that Porter will leave as he moves on after this season.

As for OT, I might hold off on calling that a certain need. Remember that the Raiders also drafted Mario Henderson to be one of our OTs of the future so if he shows some promise with Gallery playing well, we may not need to draft an OT. He certainly fits this scheme perfectly.

That said, Glenn Dorsey and Steve Slaton are among my top prospects to watch for the Raiders 1st round pick in 08. We may need to address DE with a guy like Calais Campbell depending on how Huntley and Moses do at RDE this year.

Let's not forget the possibility of an OLB to round out the corps that includes Morrison and Howard.

supermario86
05-15-2007, 03:12 PM
I think Mike Bushshould get a chance before you guys go after Slaton McFadden etc.

RaiderMike
05-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know how Hawthorne is doing in minicamp?

Stash
05-15-2007, 11:10 PM
If we are drafting in the top 10, I think it would be hard to pass up on some of the RB talent that would be available regardless of the fact that we drafted Bush this year.

As far as Desean Jackson, I pretty much agree with NIP, he is a great returner and a big play threat, but would probably be better suited as a slot WR. You can't be a #1 WR when you weigh in at a 166lbs, thats not gonna cut it in the NFL because he will get lit up across the middle.

I don't know why so many are taking shots at Sims, wasn't he the starting LT the last time we had a good team? If he was good enough to watch Gannons back, thats good enough for me. I'm not saying hes great, but he is solid and I think that will work for another season or two (Although some of the OT's coming out next year are very tempting and should be looked at.)

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I agree Sims was sevircable for a long time as a LT.I dont have that many problems with him starting their this season.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know how Hawthorne is doing in minicamp?
Im guessing crappy.

bernbabybern820
05-16-2007, 12:37 PM
If we are drafting in the top 10, I think it would be hard to pass up on some of the RB talent that would be available regardless of the fact that we drafted Bush this year.

As far as Desean Jackson, I pretty much agree with NIP, he is a great returner and a big play threat, but would probably be better suited as a slot WR. You can't be a #1 WR when you weigh in at a 166lbs, thats not gonna cut it in the NFL because he will get lit up across the middle.

I don't know why so many are taking shots at Sims, wasn't he the starting LT the last time we had a good team? If he was good enough to watch Gannons back, thats good enough for me. I'm not saying hes great, but he is solid and I think that will work for another season or two (Although some of the OT's coming out next year are very tempting and should be looked at.)

I agree Sims was sevircable for a long time as a LT.I dont have that many problems with him starting their this season.

So we have hope because he was serviceable in 2003 which was 4 years ago? Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-16-2007, 06:36 PM
people are to hard on Barry Sims.Hes still servicable he fits well in this system.Id rather have Gallery playing LT than Barry but if Barry starts this season I have no reason to cry about it.I would look for an eventual replacement though.

TheChampIsHere
05-17-2007, 05:26 AM
I like the idea of us getting a pick somewhere around 15 after an 8-8 or so season and nabbing Glenn Dorsey, who could slide a little bit.

portermvp84
05-17-2007, 09:21 AM
I really like Jake Long, if we were to finsih in a top 5 pick I'd either want Jake Long or Darren Mcfaddeen. My guess is he we finish in a 7-9 season so, I know this is some what of a reach but I really like Limas Sweed. Since we lost Moss were kind of unsure of where our recivers stand and just to get a little more soild depth we should consider looking at Sweed. Or if not that I like Glenn Dorsey out of LSU.

Stash
05-17-2007, 10:35 PM
I think the WR situation depends on how our guys perform this year. Remember, we just resigned Curry and acquired BMW. If Williams turns it around and resurrects his career we wouldn't really need a WR, especially in the 1st.

portermvp84
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm saying if our guys don't play the best this season we should look at a WR. But that is def not our biggest need. The only major need I know of if RT where Gallery plays, if he sucks it up again we could draft a RT and kick Gallery to the curve.

TheChampIsHere
05-22-2007, 07:24 PM
WR could be a first round need for us...Sweed or Desean Jackson or someone else could be real tempting...But WR is just a big question mark for us right now. Will Porter get it turned around and show that he is a go-to WR? Will BMW get it turned around and live up to the hype he got or is he just a bust. if both those guys have strong seasons, we have a strong 1-2 punch at WR right there and then we've also got Higgins and Curry...Currys injury problems make him a question mark still and if Higgins fails to show gamebreaking ability and show he is a vertical threat, more reason for us to spring for someone like Jackson.

Xonraider
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Desean Jackson still has A LOT to prove as a WR.

nobodyinparticular
05-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Desean Jackson still has A LOT to prove as a WR.

Tru dat dawg.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I disagree.ive seen plenty of Desean as a WR.He could bulk up a little bit and get a little better at route running though.But I dont think we'll end up picking him.Since we got a speedster in Higgins.

Raiderz4Life
05-27-2007, 12:18 AM
bulk up a lil bit? he's 170....he needs to add at least 15 pounds if not more...he's not as good as some make him out to be....i think Sweed is better. I think Jackson is a bit like Ginn without his blazing speed. Great return man with good speed but still relatively raw as a receiver. I think we should address our run D since it was a weakness last season, and as of right now on paper i dont see any really glaring needs on O....but that could of course change real soon.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-27-2007, 01:45 AM
I dont get how a guy who runs a 4.29 doesnt have blazing speed.

Fresh
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I think this would be best for the Raiders
1) DeSean Jackson WR
2) Sam Baker LT

Jackson is more Santana Moss than Ted Ginn. Baker could be the Marcus McNeill in next years draft. There is so much OT talent next year
Jake Long- top 5
Barry Richardson- early 1st
Jared Gaither- mid 1st
Sam Baker- late 1st
not that much of a dropoff between them

RaiderNation
06-22-2007, 03:40 AM
we have to go wr,OT and DT the first 3 rounds of this draft. this season will just tell us which one of the 3 we will draft first

Sniper
06-22-2007, 04:10 AM
1) DeSean Jackson WR
2) Sam Baker LT

Jackson is more Santana Moss than Ted Ginn. Baker could be the Marcus McNeill in next years draft. There is so much OT talent next year
Jake Long- top 5
Jared Gaither- mid 1st
Sam Baker- late 1st

I think your OL rankings are off. I'd go Long/Baker/Richardson, Gaither is going in the supplemental draft.

bernbabybern820
06-22-2007, 10:52 AM
1) DeSean Jackson WR
2) Sam Baker LT

Jake Long- top 5
Jared Gaither- mid 1st
Sam Baker- late 1st

Gaither stinks. Its going to take 2-3 years before he starts imo.

Oaktown1981
06-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Gaither stinks. Its going to take 2-3 years before he starts imo.

I read the other day Gaither only has allowed one sack in college so how does he stink?

portermvp84
06-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I would either like to take Jake Long out of Michigan or Limes Sweed out of Texas. I'd rather take care of the o-line situation beforing attacking the WR problmes. If none of our runningbacks get over 600 yards, I'd want Mike Hart. He's obvisouly a franchise back and he's like a bolwing ball, blowing over and past the defenders. He's probably one of my favorites coming out of the draft.

Raiderz4Life
06-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I dont think WR is a need...well not yet. If we have a breakdown at RB which is possible we should take D.Mc that dude is awesome and i think he's better than Mike Hart

bernbabybern820
06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I read the other day Gaither only has allowed one sack in college so how does he stink?

Did you also read that he was about to be benched or he was benched? Betcha didn't. ;)

Paranoidmoonduck
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
On the wide receiver subject, you have to wonder exactly what kind of wide receiver Kiffin is looking for. Right now we have two big and physical wideouts in Curry and Porter and Kiffin obviously backed the addition of Mike Williams.

We drafted Higgins, but that might have been more for his return abilities than his receiving abilities. If he does well, he pretty much eliminates a need for a receiver like DeSean Jackson.

However, someone like Adarius Bowman looks like an awfully good fit.

I think that if we get a shot, Glenn Dorsey is as safe a bet as anyone in the entire 2008 draft.

Crow
06-28-2007, 06:41 AM
If our offense is going to be anything like USC's, Kiffin will want someone who can box out the DB and take care of his QB. Someone to play Dwayne Jarrett to Curry's Steve Smith. Porter is a decent fit this year, but that's this year.

Anyone pinning their hopes on Mike Williams suddenly becoming a football player is likely to have a panic attack when he doesn't even make the roster.

I like Higgins. As a starter..maybe. If we can get this ground game going, I think he can absolutely be a starter. But as a slot guy, he could be damn fun to have around.

I think we're definitely going to need another WR, but I wouldn't drop a 1 on the position. DT is a far shakier position at this point. Can Terd be as effective as a starter as he was as a #3? Maybe. Can Brayton bulk up and be effective as a rotational DT? Possibly. Will Kelly ever play up to his potential? Perhaps. Are we likely to to get lucky and have 2 out of these 3 things happen? Don't count on it. We need a DT. Badly. I'm less concerned with whether or not he's more NT or UT. The Bears defense used DTs that each hover right at or just below 300 pounds. We don't necessarily need big tackles. We need good tackles. Imagine Terd proving himself a legitimate starter. Pair him with a guy like Glenn Dorsey and we're suddenly set for 5 or 6 years. Morrison is free to roam. Burgess and Huntley/Moses get more one on one chances outside. QBs rush more throws, leading to more turnovers. Teams can't just sit on the ball because our interior run D will be tighter.

Right now, we have no idea what our OL needs. Brand new scheme. Gonna take all year to sort out who is going to fit and who needs to go. But the defense...Ryan's been here a few years. We can look at the D right now and pick out the weak points. DT and Sam Backer are key areas of concern right now. We need a backer on Burgess' side who can shed blocks consistently because Burgess just doesn't hold up well when teams run at him. If we seal up the inside, Burgess is in for a world of hurt because the right side of our run D is air tight. He just doesn't have enough sand in his pockets to sustain his level of play under that kind of pressure.

Needs abound. But in terms of a Rd1 need, I think we're locked in (which is a really dumb thing to say in June) on DT and WR. If, by some stroke of luck (good or bad, depending on your perspective) we're in position to draft McFadden, we have no choice but to pull the trigger. Jordan is gone at the end of the season, and Rhodes is a stopgap. Bush never carried the full load at Louisville, so asking him to do it as a pro is a stretch. Pairing him with McFadden? Wow. Just...wow.

Sniper
06-28-2007, 07:09 AM
I dont think WR is a need...well not yet. If we have a breakdown at RB which is possible we should take D.Mc that dude is awesome and i think he's better than Mike Hart

The only thing being is that McFadden is a lock for the top 5, and the Raiders have much more pressing needs than a franchise RB in the first round. Hart will probably run a mid 4.5 40 at the combine coupled with his size will cause him to fall despite him being an absolute bowling ball and you guys could grab him in round 2-3. I love Hart and he's amazing but no one is gonna take a 5'9 200 lbs running back who runs a 4.5 in the first round no matter how good he is. Hart does so many little things right it's ridiculous and he runs like he's Adrian Peterson size.

Raiderz4Life
06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
to draft McFadden, we have no choice but to pull the trigger. Jordan is gone at the end of the season, and Rhodes is a stopgap. Bush never carried the full load at Louisville, so asking him to do it as a pro is a stretch. Pairing him with McFadden? Wow. Just...wow.

Not only that but we also have to hope and pray that Bush heals up properly and can return to his former self. If he cant then we're going to have to get a RB.

portermvp84
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM
The only thing being is that McFadden is a lock for the top 5, and the Raiders have much more pressing needs than a franchise RB in the first round. Hart will probably run a mid 4.5 40 at the combine coupled with his size will cause him to fall despite him being an absolute bowling ball and you guys could grab him in round 2-3. I love Hart and he's amazing but no one is gonna take a 5'9 200 lbs running back who runs a 4.5 in the first round no matter how good he is. Hart does so many little things right it's ridiculous and he runs like he's Adrian Peterson size.

Thats what I was saying. He runs over defenders like bowling balls. If he slips past the first round he could be the steal of the draft.

Sniper
06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Thats what I was saying. He runs over defenders like bowling balls. If he slips past the first round he could be the steal of the draft.

I friggin love Hart, but it's not "if" he slips past the first round, it's "after" he passes the first round he will be the steal of the draft.