PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Comments on Odell

PalmerToCJ
05-14-2007, 11:27 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070514/SPT02/305140047/1066

In a radio inteview Monday night, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said there would be an “opportunity” for linebacker Odell Thurman to return to the Bengals next season, if Thurman is reinstated by the NFL.

Thurman was suspended for the 2006 season because of violations of the NFL substance abuse policy. He led the team in tackles as a rookie in 2005.

Thurman can apply for reinstatement on June 11.

“I have been in contact with Odell and he has an opportunity to be reinstated," Lewis said on air. "He’ll have had to have really followed the very strict NFL guidelines in order to get to that point, and then obviously if he is reinstated to go forward. And if that happens, he’ll have an opportunity. We’re still probably a couple of months away from that, and we’ll see what happens toward the middle of July.”

Lewis added that Thurman is doing well.

“He’s doing very well … he’s learned quite a bit about life I’d say.”

Lewis made the comments to Paul Daugherty, an Enquirer columnist who is also the host of “SportsTalk” on WLW-AM 700. Lewis typically has said little about Thurman during the suspension, other than to say the linebacker is not currently part of the team.

When contacted later Monday night by The Enquirer, Lewis declined further comment.

Thurman did not return a message left on his mobile phone.

Marvin has come a LONG way on Odell since this time last year when he seemed to flat out dislike him. Sure would be awesome if Odell was our WLB by midseason.

PalmerToCJ
05-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Also another interesting quote from Bengals.com

Word is that Thurman has already applied for reinstatement and that he has been recommended for reinstatement by those in charge of the NFL’s rehab program, but he must remain clean until July 11.

Although Lewis invoked a Thurman public blackout, he and some members of his coaching staff have apparently visited him during his rehab to offer encouragement behind the scenes.

This would be a MASSIVE boost to our defense if Odell could get back in there and make plays with Ahmad... I can't imagine how awesome it would be to have those two on the field together.

Mr. Stiller
05-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Also another interesting quote from Bengals.com

This would be a MASSIVE boost to our defense if Odell could get back in there and make plays with Ahmad... I can't imagine how awesome it would be to have those two on the field together.

I'd move Ahmad outside. He's got the size and ability to be a solid blitzer as well. I'm pretty sure Odell was the MLB and thats what he did best..

Odell with Ahmad and Johnson on each side and I think you guys have your back 7 set.

PalmerToCJ
05-14-2007, 11:37 PM
I'd move Ahmad outside. He's got the size and ability to be a solid blitzer as well. I'm pretty sure Odell was the MLB and thats what he did best..

Odell with Ahmad and Johnson on each side and I think you guys have your back 7 set.

I do agree. Ahmad would be best at SLB and Odell is just perfect for MLB.

However, Ahmad is going to start the year at MLB - Hartwell at WLB and Jeanty at SLB. I just can't see how they could justify swapping Ahmad outside after he studied all offseason for MLB and started the year there. So, my take on it is that if/when Hartwell gets hurt to slide Odell to WLB and if anything happened to Ahmad (please no) then put him at MLB.

Either way, as long as Ahmad and Odell were on the field at the same time I'd be THRILLED.

themaninblack
05-15-2007, 12:11 AM
i think you gotta get the talent on the field and Ahmad is more capable of playing OLB with his physical tools than Odell is. OLB is less complicated normally because they dont make as many calls, and i think Ahmad is capable of learning MLB as a priority and having SLB as a secondary thing to pay attention to. moving Odell outside wouldn't be the best option IMO.

Bengals1690
05-15-2007, 08:19 AM
our linebacking core would be decent!! YAY!!

but seriously.

MLB-Thurman
SLB-Brooks
WLB-Hartwell

thats pretty decent. just think how it would look if Pollack hadnt hurt imself. Line backer would be a strength of our team

reese
05-17-2007, 03:19 AM
hopefully he gets back and can keep his head on str8 this time

themaninblack
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
i rly do think Thurman is a man of character in his heart. he is associated because of his family and partly his own choice with terrible money grubbing people. i know he loves his family but he really needs to get away from them in a sense. my cousin who is a comedian at the Funny Bone which the bengals frequent has told me some terrible stories about his visits with Odell in the ATL.

reese
05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
yea i heard when he left uga early it was only cuz his whole family was broke

I_C_DeadPeople
05-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Both ML and Chuck have said that Brooks will play MLB and that they can't keep moving guys around. If Thurman is reinstated he will have to take an outside job from someone and he will have to be a special teams player JUST to be on the active roster. Don't forget that he will be in ML's doghouse for quite sometime, it will likely take a good part of a season or a whole season before the coaches trust him.

PalmerToCJ
05-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I think initially Odell may be the 3rd string MLB/WLB then eventually if he proves himself become the starting WLB when Hartwell gets his yearly injury.

Desert
05-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I think you're spot on with that. Hartwell says that our WLB is alot like his old ILB spot with the Ravens, so it might not be much of a change for Odell or a mismatch of his talents like some poeple have been saying.

J24
05-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Both ML and Chuck have said that Brooks will play MLB and that they can't keep moving guys around. If Thurman is reinstated he will have to take an outside job from someone and he will have to be a special teams player JUST to be on the active roster. Don't forget that he will be in ML's doghouse for quite sometime, it will likely take a good part of a season or a whole season before the coaches trust him.

I think thurman will probably show up and have a huge preseason just a guess from me. I think thurman when sober is the best MLB on this team No doubt even if he hasn't played in a year. Brooks will move to the strong and I also think Landon will steal away the wlb from Hartwell

I_C_DeadPeople
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I think thurman will probably show up and have a huge preseason just a guess from me. I think thurman when sober is the best MLB on this team No doubt even if he hasn't played in a year. Brooks will move to the strong and I also think Landon will steal away the wlb from Hartwell

Well. you can keep dreaming. But the reality is:

1. IF Hartwell is healthy he is a better LB than Landon.
2. Regardless of how Odell performs early, he will be in the doghouse for some time. ML/Chuck have stated they want consistency at the position and they have to trust that the player will be on the field. Odell has to earn back a lot of trust.
3. Again, both ML and Chuck have said that Brooks IS the MLB. It is his job to lose and by all acoounts he is putting in the time to learn the position. From a simply athletic standpoint, Brooks is THE best LB we have.

themaninblack
05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
brooks can be the best LBer but id rather have odell on the field with him than odell sitting the bench. odell is no OLBer.