PDA

View Full Version : Draft rumors

49ersfan_87
05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
What rumors panned out before the draft, and which didnt?

I remember the rumor of Reggie Nelson falling to the 2nd round. That was obviously false.

A true rumor was Alan Branch falling.

What other rumors can people think of that were false/true?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Dwayne Jarret in the 2nd. Randy Moss to NE. Bush falling outta day 1. Cardinals liking Levi Brown.

JF4
05-15-2007, 03:14 PM
A team trading up to get CJ was a big rumor that didn't happen.

ironman4579
05-15-2007, 03:29 PM

That was probably the ultimate one. I remember when it didn't happen, John Clayton kept predicting the Lions would trade him with TB, then Atlanta, and then he finally gave up.

I guess you could also include all the threads started by bushwacker or whatever his name was about Brady Quinn to the Raiders.

foozball
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
the redskins taking either anderson or okoye pretty much until a week before the draft, and then everyone switched to landry...they shoulda taken the DLineman.

robswinga
05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I think it was Todd McShay who first reported that Miami was interested in Ted Ginn, and were possibly going to take him with their first round pick.

Shiver
05-15-2007, 03:45 PM
There were rumors that a lot of teams had low grades on Brady Quinn. Those were true, and several teams had other Quarterbacks other than Russell ahead of him.

A rumor that was flat out untrue was Don Banks' "reporting" that Arthur Blank ordered Rich McKay to trade up for Calvin Johnson.

Geo
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
There have been interesting post-Draft reveals, made by Adam Schefter and others. Off the top of my head that I can recall:

Teddy Ginn would have been taken at #10 by the Houston Texans had he not been taken at #9 by the Miami Dolphins.

Darrelle Revis would have been taken at #15 by the Pittsburgh Steelers had he not been taken at #14 by the New York Jets, in a trade up for him.

Marshawn Lynch would have been taken at #16 by the Green Bay Packers had he not been taken at #12 by the Buffalo Bills.

Justin Harrell would have been taken by the Denver Broncos had he not been taken at #16 by the Green Bay Packers.

The Unseen
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Darrelle Revis would have been taken at #15 by the Pittsburgh Steelers had he not been taken at #14 by the New York Jets, in a trade up for him.

Or, I think the Jaguars would've tried to trade up for him. If the deal was convincing enough, Pittsburgh might've bit.

remix 6
05-15-2007, 04:28 PM
rumors that Patriots would take Harris if he was there at 28..FALSE

we didnt even trade back into 2nd to get him

Flyboy
05-15-2007, 04:36 PM
There have been interesting post-Draft reveals, made by Adam Schefter and others. Off the top of my head that I can recall:

Teddy Ginn would have been taken at #10 by the Houston Texans had he not been taken at #9 by the Miami Dolphins.

For some reason, that just makes me shake my head. Good ol' Texans.

JPF
05-15-2007, 04:56 PM
A popular one that was going around Panther sites and local media was that we were looking to package Kris Jenkins and the #14 to move up to take LaRon Landry.

Geo
05-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Kubiak is such a poor man's Shanahan, it's hilarious.

They should thank the Dolphins though for helping/"forcing" them to draft Amobi Okoye. He might not show it his rookie year as he transitions to the pros, but I think the guy is a playmaker waiting to eventually happen and should help the interior of their defensive line, against the run and the pass, for the better.

superpack84
05-15-2007, 05:22 PM

I'm sure teams did have talks with them to move up there, but a deal just didn't pan out.

BlindSite
05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
A popular one that was going around Panther sites and local media was that we were looking to package Kris Jenkins and the #14 to move up to take LaRon Landry.

That St Louis was going to give us their second for jenkins was true, we just rejected it.

JPF
05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
That St Louis was going to give us their second for jenkins was true, we just rejected it.

Seen that and that they offered us a 2nd and a day 2 pick but we were holding out for a first rounder.

thebow305
05-15-2007, 10:18 PM
I think it was Todd McShay who first reported that Miami was interested in Ted Ginn, and were possibly going to take him with their first round pick.

No, I think it was me who first reported it! :p just playin.

I didn't even need to say it, you already knew what I was gonna say, just look at the sig.

stl9erfan
05-16-2007, 03:42 AM
There was that strong rumor flying around just before the draft that the Broncos were going to trade with the Texans for the #10 pick in order to nab Patrick Willis. Scott even had it in one of his final mocks, but it never panned out.

Mr. Stiller
05-16-2007, 06:38 AM

False, We were taking Timmons all the way, Tomlin had no reason to take another CB.

Marshawn Lynch would have been taken at #16 by the Green Bay Packers had he not been taken at #12 by the Buffalo Bills.

Justin Harrell would have been taken by the Denver Broncos had he not been taken at #16 by the Green Bay Packers.

Denver Bronco's wanted Timmons then Harrell then Moss.

Addict
05-16-2007, 06:57 AM
For some reason, that just makes me shake my head. Good ol' Texans.

texans were lucky Miami decided to take him.

Geo
05-16-2007, 05:43 PM
False, We were taking Timmons all the way, Tomlin had no reason to take another CB

Denver Bronco's wanted Timmons then Harrell then Moss.
I'll take Adam Schefter's word over yours any day of the week.

Smooth Criminal
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM

I realy doubt the Steelers would have went after Revis. They got the guy that had been our main target all along in Timmons.

Smooth Criminal
05-16-2007, 05:52 PM
I'll take Adam Schefter's word over yours any day of the week.

I'll take Tomlins. He said Timmons was one of the highest players on our board and he was looked at as a guy that would be a likely pick. If you can remember the Steelers were the only team to send their HC to go see Timmons pro day.

draftguru151
05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
I'll take Tomlins. He said Timmons was one of the highest players on our board and he was looked at as a guy that would be a likely pick. If you can remember the Steelers were the only team to send their HC to go see Timmons pro day.

Yea I have a feeling the head coach doesn't want to talk down the guy he just took in the first round. I heard from a few places that Revis was as good as gone if he was at 15.