PDA

View Full Version : Bonnaroo

eazyb81
05-16-2007, 08:12 AM
So it looks like i'm going to my first Bonnaroo this year, and i'm definitely pumped for it. There are going to be some amazing bands (Tool, White Stripes, Ben Harper, String Cheese, etc....) and everyone i'm going with went last year and had a blast.

For the uninitiated, Bonnaroo is a four-day music festival held in Tennessee that features multiple stages and an insane amount of bands. Last year Radiohead headlined and this year it will be The Police.

Has anyone here gone to Bonnaroo before? Anyone thinking about going this year? I'm not sure if this is really a Bonnaroo crowd, but figured I would give it a shot.

For more info:

http://www.bonnaroo.com/

eazyb81
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
how the hell are they going to play tool and string cheese at the same show...

it's sounded interesting in the past, but it seemed like it turned into a DMB groupie-love-fest in recent years (this is all rumor). hopefully that's not the case...

I think it used to be more like that, but they have a pretty diverse list of artists now. I wouldn't say Tool, The Roots, White Stripes, Black Keys, Clutch, etc, fans really fit the mold of "DMB groupies".

I'm sure there will be plenty of people there like that, but with 70,000+ people there i'm guessing the audience will be fairly unique.

eazyb81
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
sure... that was based solely on the opinions of friends of friends and whatnot, clearly not necessarily representative. do the bands play full sets, or are they limited to the 30 minute crap that often happens at big concerts?

From what I hear they play full sets, as they have multiple stages and bands are playing from noon to midnight for four days.

bored of education
05-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Is this the modern day hippy fest that people go smoke plant like products and eat fungus then complain about people chopping trees down and then listen to some average music?

eazyb81
05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Is this the modern day hippy fest that people go smoke plant like products and eat fungus then complain about people chopping trees down and then listen to some average music?

Ahem........

I'm sure there will be plenty of people there like that, but with 70,000+ people there i'm guessing the audience will be fairly unique.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-16-2007, 11:16 AM
I'd go to see the Police and for the comedy tent. Lewis Black, Dave Attell, and Demetri Martin... sweet!

bored of education
05-16-2007, 11:17 AM
who is playing if the roots, rhcp, the killers, rolling stones and jimi hendrix then I'd go. but if its grateful dead, fish, dave mathews band, natalie merchant, the goo goo dolls and john mayer then i would go with ear plugs and stare at the hot white suburbia college chicks who don't go past second base without receiving a coach bag.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-16-2007, 11:33 AM
then i would go with ear plugs and stare at the hot white suburbia college chicks who don't go past second base without receiving a coach bag.

Somebody's bitter.... ;)

eazyb81
05-16-2007, 11:38 AM
who is playing if the roots, rhcp, the killers, rolling stones and jimi hendrix then I'd go. but if its grateful dead, fish, dave mathews band, natalie merchant, the goo goo dolls and john mayer then i would go with ear plugs and stare at the hot white suburbia college chicks who don't go past second base without receiving a coach bag.

You really can't take 5 seconds to click on the link to the website in the first post?!? My God you're lazy.

But I do hear Jimi Hendrix is going to play a kick ass set.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-16-2007, 11:46 AM
But I do hear Jimi Hendrix is going to play a kick ass set.

Yeah, I hear he and Stevie Ray Vaughan are going to team up on Voodoo Child.

GiantRutgersFan
05-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Didnt they change the format of it last year?

I almost went 2 summers ago. But then I didnt. I would rather just go to the Jersey shore.

I definitly wouldnt go now that they changed it to have bands like Tool playing there.... seems like it caters to angry 12 year olds nowadays...

bearsfan_51
05-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Do you have to try to be this stupid or does it just come naturally?

eazyb81
05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Didnt they change the format of it last year?

I almost went 2 summers ago. But then I didnt. I would rather just go to the Jersey shore.

I definitly wouldnt go now that they changed it to have bands like Tool playing there.... seems like it caters to angry 12 year olds nowadays...

Have you been to a Tool show before? They really aren't as hardcore as non-fans think they are. They have been known to completely stop playing if idiots start moshing - they aren't exactly a Hatebreed type of band.

Personally, I like the diversity of the artists. I'm excited to see Ben Harper, String Cheese, and other similar artists, but i'm also pumped to see The Roots, Tool, and The Decemberists.

Scar
05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Leave yourself lots of time to get there. My sister went last summer and it literally took about 18 hours to travel the last 3 miles because traffic was such a cluster-

bored of education
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
its natural so dont be alarmed henceforth

awfullyquiet
05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
hatebreed is moshcore. plain and simple. if you're not moshing. you're not listening to hatebreed.

anyway.

i went to bonnaroo two years ago. cochella last year... and this year (like last year) it's just pitchfork and and lolla.

at bonnaroo i saw the allman bros, modest moust, bela fleck, the mars volta, J5, De La Soul, Rilo Kiley, Sound Tribe, Joanna Newsom, Secret machines, and matisyahu... and it was fantastic. and camping. yum.

bored of education
05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
El-Producto and aesop Rock dayum ok my hating is done.

eazyb81
05-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Leave yourself lots of time to get there. My sister went last summer and it literally took about 18 hours to travel the last 3 miles because traffic was such a cluster-

Thankfully i'm flying to Nashville then taking the shuttle to Manchester. My friends drove last year from St. Louis and they said traffic was terrible.

Titans10
05-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I went to bonnaroo last year and im going back this year. Its the best four days of the year, so many good bands and so many good rugs

cunningham06
05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Some friends of mine who are more into rock music than I am are going this year. They went last year and said it was awesome, so I bet you'll have a really good time.

Chucky
05-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I personally thought that last years lineup looked better, but some bands that i think you should check out that you might not have considered:

Keller Williams
John Butler Trio
Gov't Mule
Sam Roberts

Gov't Mule are so good, i loved there show when they came to toronto, it was nuts. Too bad Robert Randolph isnt playing he usually tears it up at bonnaroo. BUt it will be great, im considering coming down one year

Titans10
05-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Thankfully i'm flying to Nashville then taking the shuttle to Manchester. My friends drove last year from St. Louis and they said traffic was terrible.

word of advice, dont come in on the interstate if possible go back roads, u wont have to sit in traffic as long and if u have something u dont want the cops to find u wont get hunted down by the cops like u will if u come the interstate because they prey on cars on their way to 'roo

cant wait to see the police, the decemberists, flaming lips, white strips, sts9, franz ferdinand, widespread, tool, ben harper, the roots, old crow medicine show, keller williams, kings of leon, north missisippi allstars and probably a couple more i cant think of

cunningham06
05-16-2007, 11:58 PM
I personally thought that last years lineup looked better, but some bands that i think you should check out that you might not have considered:

Keller Williams
John Butler Trio
Gov't Mule
Sam Roberts

Gov't Mule are so good, i loved there show when they came to toronto, it was nuts. Too bad Robert Randolph isnt playing he usually tears it up at bonnaroo. BUt it will be great, im considering coming down one year

My friend is obsessed with Gov't Mule, it's his favorite band. I had forgotten that they were on the lineup for Bonnaroo.

TitleTown088
05-16-2007, 11:59 PM
I've been there two times. It's not that great. 10,000 lakes festival in Detriot lakes, Minnesota is much better.

eazyb81
05-17-2007, 08:54 AM
I've been there two times. It's not that great. 10,000 lakes festival in Detriot lakes, Minnesota is much better.

You're the only person i've heard say that they didn't have a good time.

eazyb81
05-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Keller Williams
John Butler Trio
Gov't Mule
Sam Roberts

Who would you compare these bands to? What style are they?

My buddy has talked about seeing Keller Williams.

eazyb81
05-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Just bought my ticket - $230 bucks. Damn.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Everyone I've spoken too about Bonnaroo has been turned off it recently. The cop presence has multiplied by the hundreds the last few years, and now it takes hours to get in because they pretty much toss every car going in.

There also seems to be some kind of internal struggle between the old school music enthusiasts/hippies and the new college crowd that has been attracted to the festival. Some people just think it's gotten too big.

Either way, Tool should be fun, but I prefer my music festivals a little less insane.

ccB
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
I am not going to Bonnaroo but I am going to Virgin Festival which has a better line up anyway IMO.

fischbowl
05-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Three of my top five favorites are here:

Widespread Panic
North Mississippi All Stars
and
String Cheese Incident.

not to mention my favorite comedians in Flight of the Conchords.

its a shame i have finals cause id pack and leave now

MicktheGreat
05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
I've never been. But, living in TN, I know LOTS of people who have been to Bonnaroo. Like some others have said, traffic is pretty much the worst thing ever that weekend -- as Manchester is small town that isn't suited at all to handle the sudden influx of traffic.

I've also heard that costs went up quite a bit this year. And another thing...this is just a rumor that I've heard from a few people...apparently, residents of Manchester get tickets for FREE!!! So...if you know any old people in Manchester (who obviously aren't going to attend the show), maybe you should check into getting their tickets. Again, I don't know if that's 100% true; but I've heard it from several people.

Overall...I think it'll be a good event. And the comedy tent (with Lewis Black, Dave Attell, David Cross, & Demetri Martin) is sure to be hilarious.

Some good artists playing that you might not have heard of:
1. Gillian Welch (great voice & songwriting, bluegrassy)
2. Keller Williams (INCREDIBLE guitar playing and puts on fun show)
3. North MS Allstars (great live band)
4. Dave Barnes (good songwriter that alot of people still haven't heard of)

cunningham06
05-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Everyone I've spoken too about Bonnaroo has been turned off it recently. The cop presence has multiplied by the hundreds the last few years, and now it takes hours to get in because they pretty much toss every car going in.

There also seems to be some kind of internal struggle between the old school music enthusiasts/hippies and the new college crowd that has been attracted to the festival. Some people just think it's gotten too big.

Either way, Tool should be fun, but I prefer my music festivals a little less insane.

I've heard it's pretty easy to avoid the cops if you don't take the main roads in. I haven't been that's just what I've heard.

eazyb81
05-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I've never been. But, living in TN, I know LOTS of people who have been to Bonnaroo. Like some others have said, traffic is pretty much the worst thing ever that weekend -- as Manchester is small town that isn't suited at all to handle the sudden influx of traffic.

I'm going to take the shuttle from the Nashville Airport, so this won't be an issue.

I've also heard that costs went up quite a bit this year. And another thing...this is just a rumor that I've heard from a few people...apparently, residents of Manchester get tickets for FREE!!! So...if you know any old people in Manchester (who obviously aren't going to attend the show), maybe you should check into getting their tickets. Again, I don't know if that's 100% true; but I've heard it from several people.

I've also heard this. Too bad I don't know anyone from Manchester.

M.O.T.H.
05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
As long as we're on the topic of concerts... I'm going to one tonight...

The Exies and Smile Empty Soul tonight.... then June 1st... Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Red, and Puddle of Mudd, and then June 6th... Chevelle, Finger Eleven, and Strata.

Titans10
05-22-2007, 05:53 PM
about the cops searching you at the gates... went last year and they didnt check a damn thing, first off their werent any cops at the gates just bonnaroo staff and from what i've heard they dont care about anything. if they find some weed they just look the other way, just dont attract any attention and you dont have to worry about anything.

and about people saying bonnaroo gets worse every year are lying, of course nothing is going to live up to your expectations after the first time, i went last year and had the time of my life and cant wait to go back

Paranoidmoonduck
05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
The cops apparently seized over 100 pounds of marijuana just from the gate checks last year, so obviously what you're saying isn't entirely true.

eazyb81
05-23-2007, 09:19 AM
The cops apparently seized over 100 pounds of marijuana just from the gate checks last year, so obviously what you're saying isn't entirely true.

Is there a link for that, or is it just hearsay?

A group of my friends went last year and said there weren't any problems with the cops.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
This is an article from 2005, but I hear last year was just as bad:

http://www.manchestertimes.com/news/index.asp

Paranoidmoonduck
05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I think, good sir, you may be correct.

Here's the article I was trying to link:

TOP STORY June 15, 2005

Authorities take hard stand against narcotics
Linda Barr

While local authorities cracked down hard on illegal drug possession during the Bonnaroo festival and made multiple arrests, they say what they seized is only a drop in the bucket compared to what was out there.

The odor of marijuana was overpowering on the grounds as festival attendees openly ignored the Bonnaroo prohibition on illegal substances.

Coffee County Sheriff’s deputies James Sherrill and Jeff Elliott discovered their “first big, major lick” when someone driving a motor home attempted to get past a vehicle search checkpoint Friday.

“They tried to pull off twice, but we got them stopped,” James said. He then was granted consent to search. And while they were combing the motor home, the driver and three occupants ran off.

The deputies arrested three of the suspects when they found them about a quarter mile away sitting under a pine tree. At that time, the other one surrendered without incident.

“The first car we stopped this morning, we confiscated a fourth of a pound of marijuana,” James said.

“Most of the deputies are out there alone. But Jeff and me are working together. We’re wearing them out.”

During one search Thursday, the duo found 100 marijuana pipes and one and fourth pound of “pot.” And another uncovered about 40 pounds of pot and mushrooms.

Deputies Brittany Hodge and investigator Danny Ferrell confiscated nearly 700 grams of cocaine from a Miami, Fla. man inside Bonnaroo gate 1.

Bob Bellamy, assistant chief for the Manchester Police Department, said his officers made between 15 and 20 arrests. Arrests were made during traffic stops; some for indecent exposure and public intoxication, among other offenses.

“The crowd was a little different this year,” Bellamy said. “There were more smart alecs.”

By 2 p.m. Monday, the combined arrests for the Manchester Police Department, Sheriff’s Department, Drug Task Force and Tennessee Highway Patrol totaled 79. The Sheriff’s Department alone issued 181 citations and the Task Force more than 100. Deputy Shannon Moultrie said 90 percent of the arrests were drug related and the remaining 10 percent were for disorderly conduct and public intoxication.

By comparison, Bonnaroo arrests for all law enforcement agencies in 2004 totaled 27.

A man being held in the Coffee County Jail on Monday would not disclose his identity or his address. He just kept telling officials his name was “William Bonnaroo.”

David Michael Nehls of Lacrescent, Minn., was arrested at Bonnaroo and is being held in the county jail on $152,500 bond for disorderly conduct and an escape attempt.

State Trooper Rhett Campbell seized more than 100 pounds of marijuana during traffic stop this past weekend. Three arrests were made in that case and those suspects were being held in the jail as well.

During another traffic stop on June 10, Campbell seized three pounds of marijuana, 328 hits of LSD, eight grams of cocaine and $15, 235 in cash.

eazyb81
05-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Sounds like the cops came away with a good haul that year.

However, you have to keep in mind how many people go to Bonnaroo every year. In 05 there were more than 75,000 people in attendance, and cops only made 79 arrests. So 1 in 1,000 were busted, while the other 999 could easily have snuck stuff in.

Cashmoney
05-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Residents of manchester do get free tickets. My math professor this past semester offered me and my other classmates free tickets if we helped him prep for the concert like the day before but i really wasn't interested. I think i heard wolfmother was gonna be there which would've been awesome but im not totally sure.

eazyb81
05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Residents of manchester do get free tickets. My math professor this past semester offered me and my other classmates free tickets if we helped him prep for the concert like the day before but i really wasn't interested. I think i heard wolfmother was gonna be there which would've been awesome but im not totally sure.

Do you live in Manchester? Are you in high school there?

djp
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Tool will be incredible. I've seen a lot of bands live and they put on the best show, by far. Danny Carey is incredible (the drummer). You're lucky. I am thinking about going to Lollapalooza.

Cashmoney
05-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Do you live in Manchester? Are you in high school there?

No i live in nashville but i go to mtsu. my professor lives in manchester

eazyb81
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Tool will be incredible. I've seen a lot of bands live and they put on the best show, by far. Danny Carey is incredible (the drummer). You're lucky. I am thinking about going to Lollapalooza.

Yeah, I saw Tool a few years ago in KC and they put on a fantastic show.