PDA

View Full Version : The Corey Simon Saga (New: Simon officially released)

Philliez01
05-16-2007, 08:48 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/SPORTS03/705150422/1100

I think it's threadworthy, the FO doesn't sound to optimistic about his return eh?

MaxV
05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
This is exactly why Polian doesn't like to spend big bucks on Free Agents.

Geo
05-17-2007, 06:24 PM
If Simon didn't suffer his knee injury, I doubt there's a problem. Before the injury, Simon was as slim as he had been with the Colts and looked primed for yet another great season in his productive career. Whatever the condition that followed, be it polyarthritis or otherwise, well I seriously doubt that was something the Colts' doctors could see coming.

There is something to be said for investing in the sure thing, which is what the Colts have done by paying their playmakers accordingly, but the Simon signing wasn't that much of a risk. He played in an Eagles defense which is similar to that of the Colts, and he had weight issues for his last few years in Philly because of the use of the franchise tag and overcame that during the season. I thought Simon's contribution to the team, especially in the run defense, was a contributor to their great start in 2005.

That would be like Booger McFarland getting a fluke injury/condition and then saying well "we shouldn't trade picks away for players." It's not as though it the risk wasn't calculated in the move, when McFarland is playing well in the defense now and helped the Colts reach the goal they sought so much.

And heck, if the Colts want to not be forced to spend money or trade picks for a playmaking tackle, then maybe they should address the interior of the defense with the draft like they do the rest of the team. Finally they did so by drafting Quinn Pitcock in the 3rd round of the 2007 Draft, the first pick at the position since Larry Tripplett in 2002 (Sweet Pea Burns, at 6-0/260, is more of DE), but it's still not enough. The team needs to draft one more tackle in 2008, and maybe another in 2009 - infuse a weak point of the team with talented youth until it is a strength, like the spectacular job the Colts have done in building the secondary as it is today. Many, including myself, have been hoping for this for some time.

MaxV
06-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Corey Simon to be released.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Scroll down for the news wire.

Yeah, this is expected.

Geo
06-17-2007, 02:53 PM
KFFL is likely citing this recent Indystar article (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070615/SPORTS03/706150515):

Here are a few issues to follow until training camp opens:

Corey Simon

Look for the veteran defensive tackle to get his walking papers, perhaps after a final grievance with the Colts is resolved involving $1.9 million in '06 base salary.

The latest sign Simon has played his final game for the Colts: He wasn't invited to Wednesday night's ring ceremony.
I'd say that last sentence says it all, don't you?

Cutting Simon outright leaves me more concerned about the (run) defense this year.

MaxV
06-17-2007, 06:50 PM
That's why we brought Pitcock, to replace him.

draftguru151
06-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Yea Pitcock is really gonna lock down that run defense. Still think you guys shouldn't have passed on Branch.

Geo
06-17-2007, 08:28 PM
I think it's unfair, if not also unrealistic, to expect Pitcock to come in as a rookie and be the end-all solution to the (run) defense. I'm very glad the Colts drafted him obviously, I think he'll take snaps at UT and NT and add some much-needed talent and physical ability to the interior. I wouldn't be surprised if he challenges Brock for a starting spot, although I'm trying not to get my hopes up that Coach Dungy will make the change immediately. He has stuck with Brock despite his struggles, although maybe that has something to do with not having anyone else on the roster to step in.

Re: concerns about the defense, it's going to take more than just Pitcock to play well, and I think a lot of it can and will happen. Imo:

Freddy Keiaho will be an upgrade at WLB, especially with regards run defense.
The intent to give Josh Thomas more snaps is a great move: he's a very promising, balanced DE and can give Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis less wear (and maybe gives Mathis the chance to improve what was a poor special teams coverage unit last year). That Thomas is playing in a contract year may help as well.
The Colts are giving up some experience at corner this year, but Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden are both very talented players, and specifically better suited to play against the run with their size/frame/strength. The Colts also have much better depth behind Tim Jennings than a year ago.
The Colts are similarly better off at SLB now, with veteran Rob Morris and Rocky Boiman in his second year with the team, than a year ago.
One would think/hope that Bob Sanders will be healthier this year.
Speaking of the injury bug, hopefully the Colts can avoid it much more than they did in 2006, when it struck the team and the defense especially a great deal. I shudder to think what would happen if Booger goes down to injury, he's probably the best overall defense tackle the Colts have had since Dungy arrived (Montae Reagor left some to be desired as a NT, and Corey Simon didn't have the chance to play his best unfortunately) and his play in last year's post-season helped the defense improve as they did. Not to mention the leadership role that McFarland has grown into.

Geo
06-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Re: guru's point about Alan Branch, I too would have taken the chance on him with the 32nd overall pick, for what it's worth. I don't have the benefit of the extensive scouting that the Colts have at their disposal, nevermind the medical records and the like, which has been a strong point of the Colts; goodness knows teams with inferior scouting have drafted tackles that didn't live up to their promise/pick in the 1st round in the last 5 to 7 years especially. 31 teams in the NFL passed on Branch, though as I said, I loved him as a prospect and would have added him to my team.

I do think too much was made about his work ethic, I'd be surprised if he played as many snaps in the pros initially as he did in college as an entrenched starter, though I would concede that there is less concern for Pitcock's work ethic and motor in comparison.

Luckily the 08 DT class looks talented and deep, at the moment at least, as I think the team needs to add another tackle next year to bolster the rotation inside and possibly start in a year if Booger isn't re-signed. At the moment it looks deep enough that a good tackle can be had past the 1st round, which the Colts likely considered when trading next year's first to land Tony Ugoh this year.

Geo
07-14-2007, 11:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2935774

Several media outlets reported Friday that Simon was moved from the PUP list, where he spent all last season with what the Colts reported was a case of polyarthritis [The Colts never reported that publically, Lenny P screws up again -Geo]. But a league spokesman said that Simon was still on the PUP list and that a notation on the NFL.com site, indicating that he had been activated, was actually a clerical error.

The notation has since been removed from the site.

mvp18
07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi everybody!
I'm a Colts fan and I live in Milan,Italy.
I think that we have to release Simon because he's useless.
I think that it isn't easy to come back from an injury year and to play well(considering that we don't know if he will be able to do that...)
Pitcock will do a great part beacuase he will be in for the Run plays and Brock for the pass plays and that will be a good think for us.
I'm also waiting for a major contribute from Klecko that we re-signed this year not only to be our Fullback but to be a minor part of the DT rotation.
Sorry for my English :D

redviper311
07-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Hi everybody!
I'm a Colts fan and I live in Milan,Italy.
I think that we have to release Simon because he's useless.
I think that it isn't easy to come back from an injury year and to play well(considering that we don't know if he will be able to do that...)
Pitcock will do a great part beacuase he will be in for the Run plays and Brock for the pass plays and that will be a good think for us.
I'm also waiting for a major contribute from Klecko that we re-signed this year not only to be our Fullback but to be a minor part of the DT rotation.
Sorry for my English :D

Welcome MVP. I couldn't agree with you more on Klecko.

Parlo dell'italiano, ma non perfeziona. La mia mamma vive in in Italia Meridionale nella cittā di Napoli. Io mie viveva in Garda di del di Desezano (B) Italia per di 3 yrs.

mvp18
07-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Welcome MVP. I couldn't agree with you more on Klecko.

Parlo dell'italiano, ma non perfeziona. La mia mamma vive in in Italia Meridionale nella cittā di Napoli. Io mie viveva in Garda di del di Desezano (B) Italia per di 3 yrs.

Thanks RedViper!
I'm a bit far from Naples like 600 Km.
But I can arrive at Desenzano in an Hour!
Are you a Colts or a Giants fan?

P.S: let's see if you understand.
Tom Brady č una ragazzina :D

redviper311
07-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks RedViper!
I'm a bit far from Naples like 600 Km.
But I can arrive at Desenzano in an Hour!
Are you a Colts or a Giants fan?

P.S: let's see if you understand.
Tom Brady č una ragazzina :D

I am a Colts fan but a fan of the Manning family.

PS

Tom Brady is a little girl, lol! That is so true.

Geo
07-26-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.tribstar.com/colts/local_story_207215438.html

Simon working out

Defensive tackle Corey Simon, who missed the 2006 season after suffering a knee injury during training camp and then developing a mysterious illness, has been working out with nationally-recognized conditioning expert Tom Shaw this summer.

Shaw, a former strength and conditioning coach for the New England Patriots, runs annual pre-training camp workouts for NFL players at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

The question remains, however, as to whether Simon will continue to remain with the Colts, or even report, when training camp begins. Indianapolis officials and Simon filed grievances against one other with the NFLPA this past spring concerning his salary from last season.

mvp18
07-27-2007, 05:57 PM
I just hope that he will play and if he's not going to do that I hope that we will Cut Him.
This story is becoming boring...

P.S: I'm going in vacation so see you at half august!

Geo
07-28-2007, 02:45 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070727/LOCAL/70727033

Simon expected at Colts training camp

By Mike Chappell

Corey Simon plans to be on hand Sunday in Terre Haute when the Indianapolis Colts open training camp. What happens next is anyone's guess.

"My plans are to report on Sunday,'' Simon said in a brief telephone interview Friday.
Asked about his expectations, the defensive tackle replied, "I don't have any comment at this point. I'm just going to report and go from there.''

Simon's status with the team has been uncertain since he missed the Colts' Super Bowl season with a knee injury and an undisclosed illness, reportedly polyarthritis. The team placed him on the NFL's non-football illness/injury list in October. The next step could involve, as many have speculated, the Colts terminating Simon's contract. Or he could rejoin the team and reinforce the defensive line rotation.

The Colts have been noncommittal regarding whether Simon figures into their 2007 plans. Team president Bill Polian was unavailable for comment Friday. Earlier in the week, he said there was "nothing to report. He's still got to take a physical at some point and we'll see where we are.''

Though Simon is on the active roster, numerous signs have pointed to the Colts parting ways with the 30-year-old veteran they invested in so heavily before the 2005 season. Simon was not present with other inactive Colts during the week leading up to the Feb. 4 Super Bowl in Miami, and he was not invited to the Super Bowl ring ceremony in June.

Also, owner Jim Irsay has made it clear he isn't happy that he's gotten so little return on Simon's five-year, $30 million contract. Despite playing only 14 games for the Colts, including the playoffs, Simon has been paid more than $14 million. A grievance he filed last fall seeking to recoup $1.9 million of his $2.5 million 2006 base salary that the team withheld is pending.

"There is no question we have put a tremendous amount of money in this man,'' Irsay said in a May interview.

If the Colts decide Simon is part of their future, he would be due a 2007 base salary of $3.955 million and would count $7.055 million against the league's $109 million salary cap. If they cut him, they would still have to account for approximately $9 million in bonuses Simon has been paid but have not been applied to the cap. The team could spread the $9 million over the next two seasons.

Roosevelt Barnes, Simon's agent, said his client is ready to resume his career, whether it's in Indianapolis or somewhere else.

"He's in great shape,'' Barnes said. "He's ready to play football. I don't know what the Colts' plans are. I'm thinking they are planning on having him play, but I don't know. No one has returned any of my phone calls.''

Would he be surprised if the Colts released Simon?

"After playing in this league for five years and representing guys for over 20, I'm not surprised at anything,'' Barnes said. "But Corey is looking forward to playing this year. Hopefully, it is with the Colts.''
Boy, I hope so.

MaxV
07-28-2007, 09:51 AM
This story is becoming weird.

Is he staying or going?

Geo
07-28-2007, 02:23 PM
The recent article has been updated.

Geo
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/SPORTS03/707310344

Colts: Simon fails physical exam
Agent says tackle hasn't been informed

By Mike Chappell

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said Monday Corey Simon failed his pre-training camp physical.

That was news to the veteran defensive tackle and his agent.

"No one has called to tell us anything,'' Roosevelt Barnes, Simon's agent, said Monday afternoon, clearly miffed. "The first I heard of Corey failing his physical was when (reporters) started calling me about it.''

Despite being under contract and on the active roster, Simon was not seen on the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology campus when the team reported Sunday. He also wasn't present when the team went through its first training camp practices Monday.

He apparently was waiting anxiously at his home in Tallahassee, Fla. After being brought into Indianapolis for his physical Friday, Simon was sent home, according to Barnes, either Saturday or Sunday.

Team president Bill Polian said the Colts won't make a decision on Simon until after further discussions with team physicians regarding the results of Simon's exam.

"It's really in the hands of the doctors at this point,'' he said. "We're waiting for their interpretation of some test results.''

Barnes and Simon are waiting, period.

"We don't know what's going on,'' Barnes said. "I just heard he didn't pass his physical and I don't know why.''

Barnes said when the Colts brought Simon in for the Friday physical, a team official told him to pack enough clothes to get him through Sunday. When Simon checked to see what his dorm arrangements would be at Rose-Hulman, he said a team official informed him he wasn't on any rooming list.

"Corey didn't know what was going on,'' Barnes said. "What it looks like to me is they never had any intention of him passing his physical.''

Barnes stressed Simon is healthy, in great shape and still wants to play for the Dungy-led Colts. If the feeling isn't mutual, he said, "we want the Colts to release him. Corey will be disappointed, but he wants to be able to play somewhere this year.

"At this point all we can do is react to whatever they do.''
The Colts' handling of Corey Simon and this situation is pitiful and disgusting. Even if they were terribly scorned by Simon last year, that's no excuse.

Billingsley26
08-04-2007, 01:33 PM
The Colts have officially released Corey Simon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2961182

Geo
08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, I guess that's that. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing somewhere else, say Buffalo for example (they traded away Darwin Walker and I heard that John McCargo got injured).

Billingsley26
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, I guess that's that. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing somewhere else, say Buffalo for example (they traded away Darwin Walker and I heard that John McCargo got injured).

Im a big Bills fan, and I would like him to come aboard, but I wouldntbe crazy about it. We do need help at DT, but we already had Larry Triplett who failed miserably. Im kidna weary about signing him. John McCargo broke his foot last year and as far as I know he is getting better. I like the look of our DT's. But they are young and inexperienced. I think they will pan out.

For any team I will say beware of Simon. I just dont feel comfortable signing him right now.