PDA

View Full Version : Answer at the MIKE position on the Roster?

Scotty D
05-16-2007, 08:50 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2007/05/marinelli_kitna_joe_barry_talk.html

On the Mike linebacker position: "I'm excited. I'm telling you what, Paris Lenon is going to burst onto the scene this year. He is everything that this system needs in a Mike linebacker. He has it all. He's smart, he's fast and he's physical. If you can do those three things, you can play Mike linebacker in this system. I promise you. Now of course everyone asks about Brian Urlacher in Chicago. He's a very unique human being, no matter what system he is in or what defense he played in. Teddy Lehman and Paris Lenon will be great in our system, I promise you, and they have everything we need."

On Paris Lenon: "He is solely going to be our Mike linebacker. He has everything we need, like I said. He's smart, I trust him, he can run the defense, be the quarterback out there, he can run the show, he's fast, he's physical - he can do it all. I feel very good with Paris Lenon."

On if he is amazed at how far Lenon has come: "If you're in this league long enough, there is amazing stories. The great players aren't all just first round draft picks. There are guys who weren't drafted, there are guys who were drafted in the seventh round, there are guys who have come from the Canadian Football League and so it's a great story, but it doesn't shock me at all. He's a great kid, he's a hard worker, football means something to him, he works his butt off at it every day and he's got the physical tools. He's got everything that we need for our Mike linebacker."

Addict
05-16-2007, 08:54 AM
okay I'm gonna sound incredibly stupid, but what the hell is a MIKE linebacker?

LionSmack
05-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Mike = M = Middle
Will = W = Weakside
Sam = S = Strongside

I always thought that was a stupid way of naming them but let's remember that football guys aren't exactly paragons of wit

Newbs24
05-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Thank God somebody looks the part. Tedy Lehman is an OU LBer so that says everything we need to know. Lenon may not be the name we were looking for in our MIKE to be that guy, but if these 2 guys are THIS high on him, something must be good. But, there are always guys that look great in practice and awful on gameday. Lets hope this isn't the case. I would like to add a MIKE in the 1st or 2nd round next year along with a DE or SS.

LionSmack
05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
I've been fairly positive about the Lions so far this off season.

But let me say, if they are seriously playing up Paris Lenon as the answer to our starting MLB problem, that is typical Lions off-season cornbread bullcrap and it's a horrible sign for our defense in 2007.

If Paris Lenon ends up as the starter at MLB, then we can all look forward to more missed tackles, 5+ yard rushing averages, and 24-yard draw plays on 3rd and 13. Lenon is not a quality NFL starter.

I don't want to hear this "Joe Barry said it so it must be true" garbage. I'll believe it's true when I see him racking up 10+ tackles a game and the Lions holding opposing teams under 150 yards rushing.

Addict
05-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Mike = M = Middle
Will = W = Weakside
Sam = S = Strongside

I always thought that was a stupid way of naming them but let's remember that football guys aren't exactly paragons of wit

look at that! helping out your buddy Addict (who by the way talks about himself in the third person and claims to be peoples' buddy) got you your second green cube! Hope you enjoy it ;).

and thanks for the explanation, it is a pretty moronic way.

another question:
Okay so you've got weakside and strongside, I suppose 'weak' and 'strong' refer to the QB's blindside right? Weak is in the back, strong is when he can see you coming (weak is madden's ROLB, strong is the LOLB) so when you've got a lefty at QB, does that change anything?

LionSmack
05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
No, strongside is the side on which the TE lines up.

Addict
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
No, strongside is the side on which the TE lines up.

dammit, I got it wrong again. So when the TE lines up at the other side, the usual strongside becomes weakside and vice versa? Or do the players switch position?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-16-2007, 01:24 PM
dammit, I got it wrong again. So when the TE lines up at the other side, the usual strongside becomes weakside and vice versa? Or do the players switch position?

I think they switch. Also the safeties might switch sides too.

Am I correct on this?

detknowitall
05-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I think they switch. Also the safeties might switch sides too.

Am I correct on this?

The strong side is where the TE or where the O-Line is heavy on. Regardless of what side it is to the QB. Default is to the right of the QB but thats just because most QB's are right handed QB's. In a cover 2 zone system its less of a concern since each player is covering a certain area of the field not just an individual player.

Addict
05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
The strong side is where the TE or where the O-Line is heavy on. Regardless of what side it is to the QB. Default is to the right of the QB but thats just because most QB's are right handed QB's. In a cover 2 zone system its less of a concern since each player is covering a certain area of the field not just an individual player.

Okay, so really the positions strongside and weakside are variable, there's no such thing as a guy who always plays the Weakside... since the 'weakside' is just the side the TE isn't on?

Since we're talking positions, what is the exact difference between a free safety and a strong safety, except you pay free safeties less in madden ;).

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Ernie always plays weakside and would usually line up on the opposite side from the tight end from what I watched last year. From det's explanation though, they may not switch from left to right side as much as a regular 4-3 base D because we play a Cover 2 requiring the LB to drop back into zone coverage more and probably hit a certain gap on a running play.

WMD
05-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Since we're talking positions, what is the exact difference between a free safety and a strong safety, except you pay free safeties less in madden ;).

Well, in regular defenses.. The Strong Safety is usually bigger, and helps stop the run.. Free Safeties are smaller, faster, and usually just locate the ball on pass plays.

In the Cover 2 though, the two Safeties divide the field into halves.. SS takes the Strong Side and FS takes the Weak side..

WMD
05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Paris Lenon might be the best of the crap that we have.. but he's still crap.

TacticaLion
05-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm tired of this from Lions "fan". Not every player stays the same year after year, and Lenon is impressing EVERYONE, not just Killer. When you read 3 different artices and every article says that Lenon is turning into a great player and has the talent to play, then there's a good chance that he's understanding the defense and is ready to lead the team.

This is why I stopped posting here. Every stupid fan seems to think he knows what's best for the team, and they completely ignore the comments made from scouts/analysts who are actually there.

**** this place. I'm out.

jackalope
05-25-2007, 01:13 PM
I haven't seen or heard much about Lenon since he left the Packers, but he must be very improved if he's likely going to start. He was nothing special in Green Bay outside of an average backup WOLB and special teamer. He must have come a long way. Did he play much last year, and did he look good?

LionSmack
05-25-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm tired of this from Lions "fan". Not every player stays the same year after year, and Lenon is impressing EVERYONE, not just Killer. When you read 3 different artices and every article says that Lenon is turning into a great player and has the talent to play, then there's a good chance that he's understanding the defense and is ready to lead the team.

This is why I stopped posting here. Every stupid fan seems to think he knows what's best for the team, and they completely ignore the comments made from scouts/analysts who are actually there.

Geez, man. Tromp off in a hissy fit, why don't you.

We're hearing an awful lot of this kind of thing this off-season, not just about Lenon. I'm always up for a pleasant surprise, but every time in the last six years that a guy on the roster who didn't get the job done the previous year was pumped for a starting spot the following season, they failed. Terrence Holt, James Davis, Boss Bailey, Kalimba Edwards, Shaun Cody all come to mind.

I will need to see a LOT more of Lenon making plays before I can accept that the Lions defense will be any good with him at MLB.

supermario86
05-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Lions need to trade Jonathan Vilma

Addict
05-26-2007, 09:36 AM

c'mon tactica... take it easy... there's no need to get all worked up here, and you can hardly believe everybody will just jump back onto the bandwagon because a few guys who work for the lions say that a guy who works for the lions is good? See it before we believe it and all.

detroit4life
05-26-2007, 11:46 AM

take some deep breathes and count to 10.....better now?

did u see lenon play last year? i understand how u feel with everyone saying great things and i want to feel the same way but i saw him play and i saw our defense with him playing and it was terrible. So i will simply reserve judgement. If he plays well when the season actually starts then great one less need but im not gonna get all excited until i see it.

ironman4579
05-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Mike = M = Middle
Will = W = Weakside
Sam = S = Strongside

Did anyone ever wonder why they didn't just go with the actual phonetic alphabet for them. M would still be Mike, but W would be the Whiskey backer, and S would be the Sierra backer. I actually think it sounds cooler overall. "Such and such would be a great whiskey backer for us."

asmitty45
06-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I like Middle Right and Left, it's all the madden