PDA

View Full Version : Shortened Draft to come ???

Severe Punishment
05-16-2007, 03:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2872514

Looking for a streamlined, more manageable and maybe ready-for-primetime NFL draft? Apparently, so is commissioner Roger Goodell.
Perhaps as a precursor to eventually presenting the first round as a primetime event, likely on a Friday, Goodell is expected to broach the subject of reducing the time limits for making selections in the first two rounds when owners convene next Tuesday in Nashville for the league's annual spring meeting.
This year's draft included the longest first round in history, at six hours and eight minutes. It also had the longest first day, with the first three rounds stretching 11 hours, four minutes.
A change in the time limits may not be enacted at Tuesday's one-day session, where the headline agenda item will be the awarding of Super Bowl XLV in 2011 to Phoenix, Dallas or Indianapolis. But in advance of the Nashville meeting, NFL sources told ESPN.com that Goodell has sought guidance from the influential competition committee and requested that the members of the committee gauge sentiment around the league for tightening the limits in the early rounds.
Several sources said there is considerable support for doing so.
The current time limits are 15 minutes for the first round, 10 minutes for the second, and five minutes for the final five rounds. The competition committee is expected to recommend time limits of 10 minutes for the first round, seven minutes for the second, and five minutes for the remaining rounds.
Because the draft falls under the purview of the commissioner, a formal vote technically isn't necessary to enact changes in the lottery, but Goodell is not inclined to act unilaterally on the matter. Instead, the owners could reduce the time limits by simply affirming a recommendation from the competition committee.
Such a move would significantly reduce the time required for the first round. Almost as important, it would provide the NFL an opportunity to give prime-time exposure to what has become its biggest offseason event, one that has exploded in popularity over the last several years, and which drew record television ratings last month.

Hip Hip ..... Hip Hip....

ShutDwn
05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
thank you thank you thank you.

This years draft was ridiculous. I know they take trades, but it is ridiculous. They have so much time to do that stuff prior to the draft.

MaxV
05-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Oh I Hope So.

MaxV
05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
thank you thank you thank you.

This years draft was ridiculous. I know they take trades, but it is ridiculous. They have so much time to do that stuff prior to the draft.

Well no, not really. Most teams can't really make pick-for-pick trades before the draft, as it's unknown who the players that will be available.

With that said, almost all trades happen within a couple of minutes of when the team gets on the clock.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I'd be happy if that happened. The draft becomes a little boring after so many hours; not because I'm not interested in the players picked late, but because, well, enough is enough. I did watch the whole thing from start to finish this year for the first time, and it became a bit excruciating.

Addict
05-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Well no, not really. Most teams can't really make pick-for-pick trades before the draft, as it's unknown who the players that will be available.

With that said, almost all trades happen within a couple of minutes of when the team gets on the clock.

They don't take that much time away... five minutes in the first, three in the second etc. it'll just make the process go a bit faster.

however 5 x 32 = 160 minutes = 2 hours and 40 minutes of time saved just in the first round, assuming everyone uses up their clock time, which they don't, but to give an idea. It saves HUGE amounts of waiting time. I think it's an awesome plan.

GB12
05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I really think this is a bad idea. Sure the fans might like it better, but the draft is not about the fans. The GMs and organiztions like the time they have now and quite a few use the whole clock as it is now. I would rather have it drag out than see rushed picks. You don't have to watch the whole thing, hell you don't have to watch it at all. Just tune in for your teams if you are that concerned about the length. The NFL is just trying to squeeze out more money by being able to put it on prime time.

Sportsfan486
05-16-2007, 04:49 PM
I really think this is a bad idea. Sure the fans might like it better, but the draft is not about the fans. The GMs and organiztions like the time they have now and quite a few use the whole clock as it is now. I would rather have it drag out than see rushed picks. You don't have to watch the whole thing, hell you don't have to watch it at all. Just tune in for your teams if you are that concerned about the length. The NFL is just trying to squeeze out more money by being able to put it on prime time.

The majority of times a team uses all the clock is just to see if a last second, awesome trade offer comes in. It's not like they're debating the pick, they already have the whole draft mapped out.

Ie: If A is gone choose B, if AB are gone choose C, if ABC are gone choose D, etc, etc..

They know who they want as soon as the team ahead of them picks, the rest of the time is spent fielding trade offers.

ks_perfection
05-16-2007, 05:23 PM
The first round should take by far the least amount of time of any round. Theirs so little uncertainitly of which players will be left on board, compare that to the 6th round and theres a ton of uncertainty. Its much harder to properly prepare for late rounds since theres alot of unkowns plus you have to factor in who you already drafted, unlike the first.

WMD
05-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm all for this.. and I hate the idea of Round 1 being on a Friday.

05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
What pisses me off is when a team has the number one pick, already has a contract ready with the player and they still use all 15 minutes...

kalbears13
05-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm all for this.. and I hate the idea of Round 1 being on a Friday.

It's on Saturday if you're anywhere near the US.

Shiver
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
I hope this happens.

TheChampIsHere
05-16-2007, 06:27 PM
the last thing I would want is to sacrifice the draft and hurt teams ability to draft effectively for our viewing pleasure....But quite honestly 15 mins a pick is excessive and considering how many months teams have to get ready for the draft, it is just not necessary to give them that kind of time.

Geo
05-16-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm all for shortening the time limits to 10 mintues (1st round), 7 minutes (2nd round), and 5 minutes (3rd to 7th rounds). I also don't have a major problem with the first round being held on Friday in primetime.

scar988
05-16-2007, 06:40 PM
They don't take that much time away... five minutes in the first, three in the second etc. it'll just make the process go a bit faster.

however 5 x 32 = 160 minutes = 2 hours and 40 minutes of time saved just in the first round, assuming everyone uses up their clock time, which they don't, but to give an idea. It saves HUGE amounts of waiting time. I think it's an awesome plan.
5 x 32 = 160
3 x 32 = 96
160 + 96 = 256 minutes = 4 hours and 16 minutes
so basically we get an extra 4 hours cut off? sounds good to me. only thing that could make it better is if they had comp picks start as early as the 2nd round. but Friday first round? no thanks

draftguru151
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
The first round should take by far the least amount of time of any round. Theirs so little uncertainitly of which players will be left on board, compare that to the 6th round and theres a ton of uncertainty. Its much harder to properly prepare for late rounds since theres alot of unkowns plus you have to factor in who you already drafted, unlike the first.

The clock isn't that long for the teams to pick, it's for trades. Teams have boards that they pick off of and have all the time they need between their picks to shuffle the board and such, but you don't really have the chance prior to your pick to trade.

etk
05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I've been expecting this ever since Goodell was named Commish. You could see the displeasure in his face when he announced that it was the longest first round ever.

cunningham06
05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
In the first round the teams should get 10 minutes per selection and then the rest of the rounds should get 5. That way it wouldn't be too fast, and teams would still have time to deliberate on what course of action to take.

The idea for Friday night sucks though, waking up for the draft saturday morning is a tradition.

05-16-2007, 11:38 PM
In the first round the teams should get 10 minutes per selection and then the rest of the rounds should get 5. That way it wouldn't be too fast, and teams would still have time to deliberate on what course of action to take.

The idea for Friday night sucks though, waking up for the draft saturday morning is a tradition.

Good post, plus rep.

BlindSite
05-16-2007, 11:57 PM
If it were up to me it would be first ten picks have 12 minutes, the last 20 in the first round have 10, round two is 8 mins and the rest are 5 minutes.

VY10
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
If it were up to me it would be first ten picks have 12 minutes, the last 20 in the first round have 10, round two is 8 mins and the rest are 5 minutes.

You need to keep all the picks in a round with the same time limit. There is no reason for the 10th pick to get 12 minutes and the 11th get 10.

eacantdraft
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Actually Tuesday morning was the tradition until a few years ago.

The draft is a televised event and fans tune out when it gets to be 6.5 hours just for 32 picks. Perhaps more trades will go down if team have less time to haggle about them and take the best offer as time runs out.

PalmerToCJ
05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I welcome this. I had to leave for somewhere at 4:00 that day and barely got to see the Bengals first pick.

reigle9
05-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I saw a poll on ESPN's front page about this yesterday. The choices were 15, 12, 10, and 7. In our instant gratification society, 10 minutes won with 7 minutes being a close second.

I think it should be lowered, but only to 12 minutes. With just that small decrease, it would shorten the first round by about 1:15-1:30. That is plenty, people need to calm their ADD.

Severe Punishment
05-17-2007, 02:57 PM
If teams want all that time again to dink around...then don't promote it as an NFL event. Keep it on tuesday afternoons...print the results and then you won't have idiots complaining that their precious teams didn't get every opportunity to recieve trade offers.

...as long as they want an audience though...they're going to need to make it less of a marathon.

jkpigskin
05-17-2007, 04:09 PM
heck, if i was a dolphin GM, i would ask goodell to stay up there at the podium and tell him that we want quinn

o wait...

simms2clayton
05-18-2007, 12:14 AM
I think there is something great about waking up for the draft and the entire frist day being "in front of you" as opposed to just rounds 2-4 or whatever on a Saturday and round 1 on a Friday night.

Why don't they just make 10 minutes per first round pick and 7 per second round pick and then then just make the 3rd round go on day 2.

Thoughts on just putting rounds 1 and 2 on saturday and then placing rounds 3-7 on sunday?

cunningham06
05-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I think there is something great about waking up for the draft and the entire frist day being "in front of you" as opposed to just rounds 2-4 or whatever on a Saturday and round 1 on a Friday night.

Why don't they just make 10 minutes per first round pick and 7 per second round pick and then then just make the 3rd round go on day 2.

Thoughts on just putting rounds 1 and 2 on saturday and then placing rounds 3-7 on sunday?

Exactly, draft day saturday morning is a tradition, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world. Moving the draft to Friday Night for the first round is like giving your children their good presents before they go to bed on Christmas Eve. Then it makes Christmas not as good. I for one like things the way they are, but maybe shorten the times for first round picks.