PDA

View Full Version : HS football help

rainbeaukid2
05-16-2007, 10:50 PM
i am playing high school football again this year, and i will hopefully start at WR on varsity. the only problem is is that i don't have elite cutting ability/speed. if there is any drills or any training that i could do to improve these things that you guys have to share, they would be much appreciated

critesy
05-16-2007, 10:59 PM
join track and ask for help with speed from the sprinting coaches

or

ask your football coaches for some drills and such you can do at home ?

rainbeaukid2
05-16-2007, 11:03 PM
i did track this year and it helped a little bit with my speed

Billingsley26
05-16-2007, 11:03 PM
my opinions would be...

judging on where you live. Running in sand and/or water helps you big time. keep doing that, then start running on grass or turf and you'll notice you feel lighter and run faster. Skip ropping helps alot as well. gives you quick feet, and help your agility. there are several ways to do this. obivoulsy jumping the normal way. there is also jumping side to side, as well as front to back help alot too. Running stairs helps your explosion. start with every step, up and down, then every other step up and down, then hop every step, up and down, then hop every other step up and down, then jump up 2 down 1, up 2 down, only up. those should help you right away.

kalbears13
05-16-2007, 11:14 PM
i am playing high school football again this year, and i will hopefully start at WR on varsity. the only problem is is that i don't have elite cutting ability/speed. if there is any drills or any training that i could do to improve these things that you guys have to share, they would be much appreciated

I have the same problem.

Moses
05-17-2007, 12:29 AM
There's a bunch of stuff you can do...

-Run. The more you run, the faster you get and the better you get at it. Go for runs daily and keep improving how fast and far you run. Also, try running on your toes only without letting your heels touch the ground. Really helps your speed and builds calf muscles.

-Plyometrics. This builds explosiveness and should help with your cuts and speed. Just search the net for some ploymetrics information to get the basics down. One thing to remember when doing plyometrics is that you must be going 100% at all times to get the full benefits.

YAYareaRB
05-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Do a lot of quick feet cone drills to get the cuts. Speed should come as your legs get stronger.

fenikz
05-17-2007, 01:10 AM
get some ankle weights, and do basically all the stuff thats above

jbeans187
05-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Run some stairs, but make sure you keep your body tight with good arm movement

bearsfan_51
05-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Eat a salad.

thule
05-17-2007, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure where you are. But almost any city over 50,000 should have a speed and agility training. I was in it for about a year.

Ladders are something that is really good for cuts and feet in general. You could almost just restrict yourself to that and be fine.

Box jumping is something that is great for explosion. But once again..you only find things like that at a local gym.

These two are probably the best combination to get what you need. Access to them might be limited..but I assume you have offseason training and equipment at your school. If you school doesn't have a ladder I think there is a serious problem.

nobodyinparticular
05-17-2007, 01:51 AM
The main problem with people is oftentimes not in their muscles and ligaments, but rather in how they try to take the cut. So much of making a cut has to do with weight distribution and often more specifically keeping your butt down.

Thule's idea of ladders is great. Also working on cone drills is perfect as well, but have a coach there who knows what he's doing so he can tell you what you are doing wrong. A lot of it is just in how you turn your hips and where you are positioning your weight--which is a learned skill, not something that you can lift weights for. Training your muscles, your body, to make better cuts is best done by actually do the cuts--hence the ladders and cone drills.

reese
05-17-2007, 01:57 AM
agility latters are good...beware of ankle weights cuz they put stress on ur ACL....STRETCH STRETCH...it can really knock tenths of ur 40...calf raises help alot to....also just running sprints helps...running hills up and down can help but dont go down at full speed...and stretch as much as possible...i ran track for 6 years and played football from age 5 thru college and nuthin ever took more time off my 40 then stretching

nobodyinparticular
05-17-2007, 02:05 AM
agility latters are good...beware of ankle weights cuz they put stress on ur ACL....STRETCH STRETCH...it can really knock tenths of ur 40...calf raises help alot to....also just running sprints helps...running hills up and down can help but dont go down at full speed...and stretch as much as possible...i ran track for 6 years and played football from age 5 thru college and nuthin ever took more time off my 40 then stretching

This guy knows what he's talking about. So many people fail to realize how much time they could shave if they would just stretch better. Stretching more means better elasticity in the ligaments, tendons and muscles, meaning they are able to move at a faster pace. Running using interval training will also help out a lot.

In terms of other ways to train for speed--plyos. This has become a very broad term, but I kid you not, it works wonders. Just make sure you are stretching A LOT anytime you are doing plyos--whether it is before or after a workout or on a recovery day, it doesn't matter.

By the way, fundamental stretching 101--warm up before stretching.

j05son
05-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Stretching: I agree with what was said above.

Plyometrics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html

Balance: Really, look into it.

Your high school SHOULD have a resistance program...Combining Plyometrics with flexibility by training with large rubber bands...If not there should be a gym or something with this near you.

Talk to your coaches. You want to be better, they want you to be better, it's a win-win and they will likely give you tips, drills, etc to help.

When I was in high school and ran track, the hardest thing I had to do during practice was suicides on a hill....I would suggest that.

Set up markers on a hill. Bottom, 1/4, half, 3/4, top...Start at the bottom and run to the 1/4 touching the ground in front of it while you change position and run back to the bottom, only do do the same [in one continuous series] until you've reached every marker.

I hated doing that. It absolutely sucked.

awfullyquiet
05-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Talk to your coaches. You want to be better, they want you to be better, it's a win-win and they will likely give you tips, drills, etc to help.

that's the answer.

if they're worth their salt. they'll know what to do, if they won't they'll know someone who does. really though, cuts is just as much about center of gravity and technique as it is about getting good power. i learned that from playing alot of ultimate frisbee. seriously. i think it's funny, but relatively true in playing on the stack.

how you bend, how you shift your weight all do it.

and p-metrics basically tell you, you want to add power? you have to use 'power'. like power = force*distance/time. the quicker you can move an object, the stronger you are. i remember reading something about adam archuleta, and how he was lifting 500 pounds of something in X seconds, and he went from doing it X-.45 seconds to X seconds (or something like that), and that creates bigger pop, harder tackles, and allows you to really accelerate faster. when you're lifting, try to push the weight as fast as you can (while still being safe).

KILLERSANTA
05-17-2007, 08:30 AM
agility Ladder.........

YAYareaRB
05-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Do a lot of change of direction drills like the Linebackers do.. That should really help. Agility ladders are always a great help for agility and cuts.

scottyboy
05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
get some ankle weights, and do basically all the stuff thats above

no, he shouldnt. I used ankle weights to gain speed and jumping for b-ball and they severly weakened my ligamets in my ankle. Later, after a year of HS b-ball, and several twists and sprains in the post, my ankle finally gave out. I tore a ligament and chipped a bone in my ankle and was out for 4 months. The doctor said it was because my ankle was weakened and thought the ankle weights did hurt.

you can use them, but use fairly light weights and in moderate use

Sportsfan486
05-17-2007, 10:17 AM
no, he shouldnt. I used ankle weights to gain speed and jumping for b-ball and they severly weakened my ligamets in my ankle. Later, after a year of HS b-ball, and several twists and sprains in the post, my ankle finally gave out. I tore a ligament and chipped a bone in my ankle and was out for 4 months. The doctor said it was because my ankle was weakened and thought the ankle weights did hurt.

you can use them, but use fairly light weights and in moderate use

Yeah, running, jumping, etc... are high impact activities. You never want to magnify that impact with weights.

Using them while on a stationary bike, for example, is fine but when you're doing an impact activity you're putting a lot of stress on your body.

M1Koter
05-17-2007, 10:21 AM
get in the wieght room and work on calves, garunteed by me to be the best thing you can do to help with agility, I'm 255 and run better routes than most the guys on the team just because I can cut so much quicker.

mikehop05
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
get your ass off these forums and start running!

sike, our school had a speed trainer come in and worked with us, it was pretty intense... really work your fast twitch muscles, do cleans, sprints w/ parachutes, ladder drills, etc.

cleans are most important though, squats

Freddy G
05-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Picknick table jumps. Up and down, with ankle weights for 1-2 minutes as fast as possible.

Stand in place and jump up (as high as you can, keep arms at side) 35 times, 3 sets, then do the same thing but jump forward like broad jumps, with ankle wieghts.

Ankle weights and sprinting up hills. If there is a beach near by, ankle wieghts and running in sand does wonders.

Stretch a lot and do balance exercises.

bernbabybern820
05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Wow 22 replies and 1 person mentions SQUATS? Squats are the most important in getting your posterior chain strong which are the main muscles in sprints.

Do them HEAVY and do them EXPLOSIVELY.

someone447
05-17-2007, 01:26 PM
There's a bunch of stuff you can do...

-Run. The more you run, the faster you get and the better you get at it. Go for runs daily and keep improving how fast and far you run. Also, try running on your toes only without letting your heels touch the ground. Really helps your speed and builds calf muscles.

-Plyometrics. This builds explosiveness and should help with your cuts and speed. Just search the net for some ploymetrics information to get the basics down. One thing to remember when doing plyometrics is that you must be going 100% at all times to get the full benefits.

The first piece of advice is only half right, if I am reading it correctly. Do not do any sort of distance running, it only slows your sprinting down. You have to practice running correctly. Run short sprints and take plenty of break in between each one. But the best thing you can do is work with a speed trainer. I got down to running a 4.5 from running anywhere between a 4.75 and a 5 flat.

Plyometrics are the ****, do them twice a week. They are incredible.

Do something like this:
Monday-Squat 3-sets of 10 of 225(more than 90 degrees), 3 sets of 185 as many times as you can. Leg press-3 sets(your weight) 3 sets each of leg curls/leg extensions. 1 minute break in between each set of the same thing, when you change exercises wait 5 minutes. Then go run sprints with 3-4 minutes between each one, so that your legs have time to recover. Up to you how many you do.
Tuesday-Upper body+plyometrics
Wed- Rest
Thurs-Same as monday
Fri-Same as Tuesday
Sat- Run sprints, in sand if possible, 10 of them.
Sun- Rest

When you are finished every day go run routes and practice your cuts, knowing when to expect the ball, and accelerating out of your breaks.

NO ANKLE WEIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!! You want to train your body to run full speed, ankle weights train your body to run slower.

Moses
05-17-2007, 01:27 PM
The first piece of advice is only half right, if I am reading it correctly. Do not do any sort of distance running, it only slows your sprinting down. You have to practice running correctly. Run short sprints and take plenty of break in between each one. But the best thing you can do is work with a speed trainer. I got down to running a 4.5 from running anywhere between a 4.75 and a 5 flat.

Plyometrics are the ****, do them twice a week. The are incredible.

Do something like this:
Monday-Squat 3-sets of 10 of 225(more than 90 degrees), 3 sets of 185 as many times as you can. Leg press-3 sets(your weight) 3 sets each of leg curls/leg extensions. 1 minute break in between each set of the same thing, when you change exercises wait 5 minutes. Then go run sprints with 3-4 minutes between each one, so that your legs have time to recover. Up to you how many you do.
Tuesday-Upper body+plyometrics
Wed- Rest
Thurs-Same as monday
Fri-Same as Tuesday
Sat- Run sprints, in sand if possible, 10 of them.
Sun- Rest

When you are finished every day go run routes and practice your cuts, knowing when to expect the ball, and accelerating out of your breaks.

Since when does running make you slower? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. What do you think NFL players do in the off-season?

someone447
05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Since when does running make you slower? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. What do you think NFL players do in the off-season?

Not distance running, because distance running works on your aerobic energy system and your slow twitch muscle fibers. Football uses neither, they use the anaerobic energy and the fast twitch muscle fibers. Training your slow twitch muscle fibers mean your fast twitch will be overpowered, causing you to run slower. Running a few miles a day will make you slower, and cause you to lose weight, neither of which are beneficial to football.

If you want to lose weight, yes do distance running, if your goal is to get faster, you have to sprint.

Moses
05-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Not distance running, because distance running works on your aerobic energy system and your slow twitch muscle fibers. Football uses neither, they use the anaerobic energy and the fast twitch muscle fibers. Training your slow twitch muscle fibers mean your fast twitch will be overpowered, causing you to run slower. Running a few miles a day will make you slower, and cause you to lose weight, neither of which are beneficial to football.

If you want to lose weight, yes do distance running, if your goal is to get faster, you have to sprint.

Training your slow twitch muscles does not negatively effect your fast twitch. I have no idea where you are getting that notion from.

Also, stamina is needed in football. Running a mile or two at a fairly high speed will improve your stamina and build muscle. As a wide receiver it's important to be lean which is accomplished by cutting body fat.

someone447
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Training your slow twitch muscles does not negatively effect your fast twitch. I have no idea where you are getting that notion from.

Also, stamina is needed in football. Running a mile or two at a fairly high speed will improve your stamina and build muscle. As a wide receiver it's important to be lean which is accomplished by cutting body fat.

Which weight lifting does much more effectively. Running distance is the absolute worst thing you can do. I went from someone who was considered a slow defensive back in high school, to someone who has a faster 40 time than about half the safeties at the NFL combine this year. I consistently run a 4.5-4.55. I used to do distance running and I didn't get any faster at all. I quit doing distance and worked with a speed trainer, who had me do lots of squats and lots of sprints and I improved anywhere from .25-.5 seconds in under a year.

Moses
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Which weight lifting does much more effectively. Running distance is the absolute worst thing you can do. I went from someone who was considered a slow defensive back in high school, to someone who has a faster 40 time than about half the safeties at the NFL combine this year. I consistently run a 4.5-4.55. I used to do distance running and I didn't get any faster at all. I quit doing distance and worked with a speed trainer, who had me do lots of squats and lots of sprints and I improved anywhere from .25-.5 seconds in under a year.

That obviously is beneficial too but to say running makes you slower isn't true. It helps with endurance, cuts fat, improves leg muscles, and makes you faster.

someone447
05-17-2007, 02:01 PM
That obviously is beneficial too but to say running makes you slower isn't true. It helps with endurance, cuts fat, improves leg muscles, and makes you faster.

It improves the wrong parts of your leg muscles. Aerobic endurance isn't needed in football. It is a series of 5 second plays with a 30-40 second rest. That is the anaerobic endurance you need. Which is doing sprints with breaks in between. I already said if he needs to cut fat then distance running will be beneficial. But weightlifting+sprints will help even more.

remix 6
05-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Cones are good..set up 4 corners and sprint to 1 side..and cut! .. jock to the next one, turn and the spring the other side and CUT

Jump rope is good for quick feet..ladders are good for quick feet aswell

if u have cones or anything you can lay down..do some zig zag and just cut, cut. cut all the way through

High Roller
05-17-2007, 06:05 PM
There is so much stuff to do and everyone will have different results from each excercise. I think squats and running sprints will help you.

reese
05-17-2007, 06:06 PM
every coach i ever had said running sprints helps

bantx
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
come to a texas football camp

themaninblack
05-17-2007, 06:40 PM
run backwards up hills, believe. steep ones too, doing lunges also helped me a lot.

Sportsfan486
05-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I should note it's NEVER a good idea to start any sort of mildly intensive workout plan without first consulting a physician. You can really hurt yourself long-term if you are trying to do something incorrectly, especially with exercises like squats.

M1Koter
05-17-2007, 06:46 PM
There is so much stuff to do and everyone will have different results from each excercise. I think squats and running sprints will help you.

as much as I love squating it really doesn't help agility and cutting, it doesn't work that calves all that much and agility is all about calves, but for straight line speed and running power, do lots of squating, and get pissed before you do it and make sure you go down all the way, just becasue it looks cool to stack way too many plates on and go down half way doesn't mean your getting the best work out possible, take some weight off and go down to the point where you pretty much stop then work your way up from there, it'll give you 3 times the workout

High Roller
05-17-2007, 07:59 PM
as much as I love squating it really doesn't help agility and cutting, it doesn't work that calves all that much and agility is all about calves, but for straight line speed and running power, do lots of squating, and get pissed before you do it and make sure you go down all the way, just becasue it looks cool to stack way too many plates on and go down half way doesn't mean your getting the best work out possible, take some weight off and go down to the point where you pretty much stop then work your way up from there, it'll give you 3 times the workout

Listen to this man!

someone447
05-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Not to mention, half squats kill your knees. You have to go below 90 degrees so that your hamstrings take the pressure off of your knees.

kalbears13
05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Eat a bunch of steaks and PBJ's and become a TE.

rainbeaukid2
05-17-2007, 10:57 PM
this is what my workout routine looks like right now, you guys could tell me if this is good or bad.

monday, wednesday, friday-
lifting:
5 sets 5 reps squats, increasing weight, ending at around 235-245 lbs
3 sets 20 reps calf extensions, 450 lbs
5 sets 5 reps cleans 115-135 lbs
3 sets 10 reps hamstring leg press; between 300-400 lbs
5 sets 5 reps 115 lbs lunges

drills:
routes, catching drills, 7-on-7
tuesday, thursday-5 sets 5 reps bench press; around 165 lbs
5 sets 5 reps incline bench 125 lbs
3 sets 10 reps dumbell bench w/ 50 lb weights
3 sets 10 reps shoulder press; around 100 lbs
20 tricep dips

drills:
db footwork drills, 7-on-7

ya, i know that i am not that strong

j05son
05-17-2007, 11:15 PM
When you do squats go all the way down. Like into a catcher position. To quote someone447, it is very bad for you knees if you are stopping almost 250lbs and then forcing it back up while your knees are in it's weakest state [bent at a right angle]. When you go up, don't lock your knees either.

I read an article [I can't find it or I would post the link] where THE Arnold said he wouldn't get gains out of calf raises until he started doing twice his body weight for calves. Obviously we aren't super bodybuilders, but the same theory would apply that you will need weight higher than your own for significant gains. I also like to do multiple workouts for calves. Like high weight standing raises, low weight endurance raises. Add a little calf raises at the ending of each rep during squats, etc...Variety is nice.

Also, workout [if you can] when game time is...Estimated kickoff is for say 7-7.30 workout during that time...Your muscles get use to routines [why variety is nice] and when you workout at 7, your body will be more prepared for it which can transfer into games...

rainbeaukid2
05-17-2007, 11:23 PM
When you do squats go all the way down. Like into a catcher position. To quote someone447, it is very bad for you knees if you are stopping almost 250lbs and then forcing it back up while your knees are in it's weakest state . When you go up, don't lock your knees either.

[b]I read an article [I can't find it or I would post the link] where THE Arnold said he wouldn't get gains out of calf raises until he started doing twice his body weight for calves. Obviously we aren't super bodybuilders, but the same theory would apply that you will need weight higher than your own for significant gains. I also like to do multiple workouts for calves. Like high weight standing raises, low weight endurance raises. Add a little calf raises at the ending of each rep during squats, etc...Variety is nice.

Also, workout [if you can] when game time is...Estimated kickoff is for say 7-7.30 workout during that time...Your muscles get use to routines [why variety is nice] and when you workout at 7, your body will be more prepared for it which can transfer into games...

ya, i am doing around 450 lbs. and i only way about 145

remix 6
05-18-2007, 06:06 PM
also make sure you work your ankles. 1 of the most underrated things for a receiver or rb..you gotta stretch the ankle..work with it

bearfan
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
I am not a weight lifter, but I played football for a good 6 years, and I think that whenever you take the stairs, going 2 at a time really helps. At 1st its a little difficult, but then it gets easier.

kalbears13
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
also make sure you work your ankles. 1 of the most underrated things for a receiver or rb..you gotta stretch the ankle..work with it

Definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely definitely stretch the calves. I can barely bend them to a 90 degree angle and I'm slow because of it. For some reason I can't dorsiflex and I don't get a good push off and it's really hard for me to squat.

Phrost
05-18-2007, 06:37 PM
ya, i am doing around 450 lbs. and i only way about 145

I calf press 750 and I weigh 195.

TACKLE
05-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Good Point.

A good exercise you can do is something called "jackhammer jumps".

Put your feet close together, lock your knees and jump up and down as quick as you can. Do sets of 50 (or more if you want). This will increase your ankle stability and also strengthens your calfs and helps you be more explosive.

-black
05-18-2007, 07:39 PM
collect 7 of these and then wish you were black.....

http://www.momes.net/dragonball/7dragonballs.gif

ok dat wasnt funny but i tried...many of the things mentioned her would help though. The main thing is to run as much as you can and eat healthy

jballa838
05-18-2007, 07:58 PM
cut off of the outside part of your foot like if your pinky toe were extended it would go back that far. only reason a weak 6 foot 140 pound wr is getting playing time with a 4.9 forty is because i have sick routes and i am smart. intelligence is underrated severly by high school football players.

Phrost
05-18-2007, 08:02 PM
cut off of the outside part of your foot like if your pinky toe were extended it would go back that far. only reason a weak 6 foot 140 pound wr is getting playing time with a 4.9 forty is because i have sick routes and i am smart. intelligence is underrated severly by high school football players.

140?!?! Damn I could break you in two.

TACKLE
05-18-2007, 08:20 PM

That's how Marvin Harrison is so good without elite physical tools.

jballa838
05-18-2007, 08:37 PM
140?!?! Damn I could break you in two.
thats where me being smart enough to avoid head on collisions comes in. i used to weigh about 135 but now i am closer to 145.