PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Simple Computer Question, i think.... maybe

McBain
05-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Uh yeah, hey. So my computer has started progressively running slower and i want to make it feel new again. I know that i should just re-format it, right? Anyway, i was thinking about doing that, but i don't know how/i have 4 thousand songs on my Itunes but my cd burner is broken. How do i make back-ups for stuff without actually making a hard copy... or is that possible?

thule
05-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Uh yeah, hey. So my computer has started progressively running slower and i want to make it feel new again. I know that i should just re-format it, right? Anyway, i was thinking about doing that, but i don't know how/i have 4 thousand songs on my Itunes but my cd burner is broken. How do i make back-ups for stuff without actually making a hard copy... or is that possible?

Get an ipod. CD/DVD is the only way your going to be able to store stuff that size. Obviously floppy disks will still work for small crap. FTP servers will hold a few things althougth slow. Email might be an option if you have a big email account. But best bet is to buy a cd/dvd burner for 20 bucks and your set...if your songs are that important.

McBain
05-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Get an ipod. CD/DVD is the only way your going to be able to store stuff that size. Obviously floppy disks will still work for small crap. FTP servers will hold a few things althougth slow. Email might be an option if you have a big email account. But best bet is to buy a cd/dvd burner for 20 bucks and your set...if your songs are that important.

Damn. Yes, my songs are important to me. There's no alternative at all? There's no way that i can have my computer reformat everything but selected files? I have a network, could i put them in the middle and then bring them back? Sorry is these questions are a bit abstract, i'm coming down from a long high and am feeling very hazy. Also this shouldn't be too difficult right?

thule
05-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Damn. Yes, my songs are important to me. There's no alternative at all? There's no way that i can have my computer reformat everything but selected files? I have a network, could i put them in the middle and then bring them back? Sorry is these questions are a bit abstract, i'm coming down from a long high and am feeling very hazy. Also this shouldn't be too difficult right?

If your on a network store the files on another computer or server. If you don't have options to either of these. You can like I said get a mp3 player to store them...although I don't recommend this. Buy a CD/DVD burner for 20 dollars. Buy a seperate hard drive....internal or external will do the trick. This is great for always having your stuff backed up. There is no way to just format part of the harddrive. Your only bet would be to get something like partition magic and break your HD's partitions and than format the partition that doesn't have the songs on it after you move them...but this isn't a great idea because it gets messy...and is pretty much a waste of HD space after you have your files sitting on there. If you absolutely don't want to spend a penny...then partition magic is your best bet.

swordman
05-18-2007, 04:23 AM
I don't know what you could do else other than what has already been said but to avoid this this problem next time you should do a partition it split your hard drive into two. On one partition you put windows and on the other one you put all your files music films school stuff....This way next time you want to format you can only format the windows partition. Your file partition stay the same that's what I do!

Caddy
05-18-2007, 06:47 AM
If you can get a portable hard drive, say 200 gig or so, that would be able to store your music. No problems at all. They are actually gradually decreasing in price so you might want to look into that.

awfullyquiet
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
If you can get a portable hard drive, say 200 gig or so, that would be able to store your music. No problems at all. They are actually gradually decreasing in price so you might want to look into that.

yep. if you have 4000 songs. you can probably get away with an 74 GB hd (unless you're encoding in flac, but since i think those songs aren't legally acquired, hence their worth to you... i bet they're something under V0). i would suggest having something either firewire, SATAII or USB 2.0 compatible (or else it'll take god near forever. sataII is first choice, but only if your computer supports it, then firewire, than usb...)

Damix
05-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Grab a cheap external HD, I think I got 250 gigs for $150 or so. Back up all your important things on that.

-black
05-18-2007, 10:09 AM
yall are speakin a foreign language to me....but i wish i understood becuz my comuter is starting to run slow too....i dont really know why

BigDawg819
05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
yall are speakin a foreign language to me....but i wish i understood becuz my comuter is starting to run slow too....i dont really know why

Its a PEBKAC problem. :D

Vince Lombardi
05-18-2007, 11:00 AM

buy an external hard drive (USB or Firewire), hook it up, copy files to said drive, unhook drive, reformat your computers hard drive, hook external drive back up, copy files back to your computer, done. Or you could just buy a new Mac. (for you njx ;) )

-black
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
wtf is reformatting? how do i reformat my computer?

BigDawg819
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM

If you have to ask then you shouldn't even consider trying to do it.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
buy an external hard drive (USB or Firewire), hook it up, copy files to said drive, unhook drive, reformat your computers hard drive, hook external drive back up, copy files back to your computer, done. Or you could just buy a new Mac. (for you njx ;) )

all that, and buy some more RAM too...

-black
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
I feel stupid

ncst8fan83
05-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I feel stupid

stop touching keak

Vince Lombardi
05-18-2007, 11:10 AM

Reformatting is basically erasing everything that's on the drive and then reinstalling your operating system. It gets rid of all of the spy ware and various other crap that can accumulate on your computer over the years and slow it down. The big down side is that you are starting over though and have to reinstall all of your apps and everything again.

How you do it depends on if you have a PC or a Mac....

-black
05-18-2007, 11:12 AM
is it heathy for an 18 year old to be computer illiterate? shouldnt he be more understanding of computers and hardrives and USB's and stuff?

not for me, its my friend :)

Vince Lombardi
05-18-2007, 11:37 AM
is it heathy for an 18 year old to be computer illiterate? shouldnt he be more understanding of computers and hardrives and USB's and stuff?

not for me, its my friend :)

Don't worry, you, er I mean your friend, will be working in a Chinese sweat shop before long. ;)