PDA

View Full Version : Your Breakout 07 Rookies

Eagles own the NFC East
05-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Which rookies this season do you think will fare the best?

Mine:
Calvin Johnson
Gaines Adams
Marshawn Lynch
Paul Posluzny
Darrelle Revis

Thats my top 5 imo I think Peterson will do well in platoon with Taylor but will really breakout the next year. I think Lynch could have a rookie season similiar to of what Caddy had. There are a couple of guys who I think need to learn their systems first before they breakout (Willis, Landry).

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
LaRon Landry will be a top 10 safety in the NFL from the first snap.

I also get the feeling, for some reason, that Brandon Jackson is going to have a really good rookie year.

List:
Landry
Jackson
CJ
Joe Thomas
Dwayne Bowe
Chris Henry

Addict
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM

I also get the feeling, for some reason, that Brandon Jackson is going to have a really good rookie year.

List:
Landry
Jackson
CJ
Joe Thomas
Dwayne Bowe
Chris Henry

the workout warrior who never produced?

My list wold be, in no order:

Willis
CJ
Landry
Lynch
Peterson
Thomas
Weddle
Blalock

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 08:52 AM
the workout warrior who never produced?

That's the one.

I don't see LenDale White doing too much this year. Somebody's got to get the carries in Tennessee, and they thought highly enough of the workout warrior to take him in the 2nd round.

awfullyquiet
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM

um. doubtful.
gregg williams has been slacking. and with his apparent failure at archuleta. i'm not 100% sure that it's back to normal.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM
um. doubtful.
gregg williams has been slacking. and with his apparent failure at archuleta. i'm not 100% sure that it's back to normal.

Are you comparing Archuleta's talent to Landry's?

Addict
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM
That's the one.

I don't see LenDale White doing too much this year. Somebody's got to get the carries in Tennessee, and they thought highly enough of the workout warrior to take him in the 2nd round.

And everybody has been wondering why ever since.
I agree he'll break out, but for Henry, production wise, a 3.8 YPC and 500 yds would be considered 'breaking out'

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I agree he'll break out, but for Henry, production wise, a 3.8 YPC and 500 yds would be considered 'breaking out'

Eh... guys sometimes end up being better in the pros than they were in college. I don't know what the problem with Henry was at Arizona, but whatever it was, it's correctable. For whatever reason, he never got many carries. The man has all the tools.

Besides, somebody's got to get the carries in Tennessee, and like I said, LenDale isn't going to get the bulk IMO. I could see something like 225 carries for 875 yards (3.9 avg) with 6-8 TDs for Henry. I think he'll be one of the most productive rookies based solely on the backfield situation on his team. Same goes for Brandon Jackson.

NIN1984
05-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Iíll throw out some mid/late round guys

Ikaika Alama-Francis, could end up starting. Lions need better talent on the field he could surprise.

Quentin Moses, Could also end up starting and will be playing opposite Burgess, and with Burgess taking up most of the double teams Moses can make a big impact.

Ben Patrick, Iím shocked he fell so far, more offense for the Cards, might even push to start

Prescott Burgess, He will be this years verison of Landry for the Ravens.

bored of education
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
None FIrst Rounders:
Poz
Turk McBride will be solid.
Tim Crowder
Jason Hill

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
None FIrst Rounders:
Poz
Turk McBride will be solid.
Tim Crowder
Jason Hill

I'm going to cry my eyes out if Poz is any good.

bsaza2358
05-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Look at me! I'm going to write down the names of players taken in the top 45 picks, and I'm going to call them breakout players, even though they're SUPPOSED to contribute right away...

I give credit to Bored for at least trying.

portermvp84
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Lynch will have a big impact. I hope Zack Miller proves him self in the preseason/minicamps so he can be a starter.

Draft King
05-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Marcus McCauley - A steal in the 3rd round, has to potential to be really good, or really bad.

Laurent Robinson - Starting alongside Joe Horn and Michael Jenkins, will not see great coverage and will have the oppurtunity to make big plays.

Dwayne Jarrett - With Steve Smith constantly double-covered, I believe he can consistently be found open.

Yamon Figurs - Will make an immediate "Devin Hester like" impact as a returner. (not as good as Devin, but I can see around 3 TDs and a ton of yards)

Michael Bush - If healthy, is a huge playmaker, and with the supposed rejuvination of the Raiders offense, I believe he'll have a chance to make those plays.

Charles Johnson - Was projected to go late 1-2, and ended up in the 3rd. He can both rush the pass and stop the run, and if he starts, he can make some plays.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Look at me! I'm going to write down the names of players taken in the top 45 picks, and I'm going to call them breakout players, even though they're SUPPOSED to contribute right away...

I give credit to Bored for at least trying.

So you wouldn't call the likes of Vince Young, Demeco Ryans, and Maurice Jones-Drew breakout players last season??

Whether or not they're supposed to contribute right away is irrelevant. Every year, there is a small group of rookies who stand head and shoulders above the rest. This is what this thread is all about. Expecting people to try and name the next Colston is a bit unrealistic, if that's what you meant. In any case, I'm sorry that you felt the need to throw in your pompously uncalled-for two cents.

bored of education
05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
This years Marques Colston is Justin Medlock!

supermario86
05-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Alan Branch
P Willie
Robert Meacham

bsaza2358
05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
So you wouldn't call the likes of Vince Young, Demeco Ryans, and Maurice Jones-Drew breakout players last season??

Whether or not they're supposed to contribute right away is irrelevant. Every year, there is a small group of rookies who stand head and shoulders above the rest. This is what this thread is all about. Expecting people to try and name the next Colston is a bit unrealistic, if that's what you meant. In any case, I'm sorry that you felt the need to throw in your pompously uncalled-for two cents.

They were all breakout players. The point that I was making is that anyone can say that a top 45 pick will be a breakout player. In most cases, these top picks are expected to be starting by their second year in the worst case. It takes real balls and foresight to talk about later picks as breakout guys. That was my point. The real point I made was commending Bored of Education for trying to talk about later draft picks who have a chance to make an impact.

I'm not asking people to pick the next Colston. I would expect a little more creativity than thinking that Calvin Johnson will break out this season.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 09:51 AM
They were all breakout players. The point that I was making is that anyone can say that a top 45 pick will be a breakout player. In most cases, these top picks are expected to be starting by their second year. It takes real balls and foresight to talk about later picks as breakout guys That is the point.

I'm not asking people to pick the next Colston. I would expect a little more creativity than thinking that Calvin Johnson will break out this season.

I see your point, but the way you came off sounded as if a first or second round pick cannot be considered a breakout rookie because he's simply performing up to expectations. If every first or second round rookie performed up to their team's expectations, we would have Pro Bowl and All-Pro teams littered with rooks.

I'd like to think I went out on somewhat of a limb with Brandon Jackson and Chris Henry... CJ may be the all-too-obvious choice, but you're probably going to hear it a lot in this thread, so just try to grin and bear it.

Tubby
05-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Brandon Jackson
Isaiah Stanback
Joe Newton (could actually take over starting spot as UDFA rookie)
Dwayne Jarrett
Yamon Figurs

bored of education
05-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Tubby, do you like Isaiah StanbacK?

Draft King
Brandon Jackson
Isaiah Stanback
Joe Newton (could actually take over starting spot as UDFA rookie)
Dwayne Jarrett
Yamon Figurs

COPYCAT!!!!

Bengals1690
Leon Hall
Kenny Irons
Marvin White

bored of education
05-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I love Marvin White. dude is beastly!!!!!!!! one of the steals of the draft

bsaza2358
05-18-2007, 09:58 AM
I see your point, but the way you came off sounded as if a first or second round pick cannot be considered a breakout rookie because he's simply performing up to expectations. If every first or second round rookie performed up to their team's expectations, we would have Pro Bowl and All-Pro teams littered with rooks.

I'd like to think I went out on somewhat of a limb with Brandon Jackson and Chris Henry... CJ may be the all-too-obvious choice, but you're probably going to hear it a lot in this thread, so just try to grin and bear it.

I apologize for my tone. I also started writing my comment before I saw your post. You went out on a limb as well, so I'm sorry.

My initial post was a little much, and I didn't mean anything by it. Those who know me know that I hold everyone on the board to a high standard and to discuss football beyond what you can read on any other website. I am all for first round hype, but it's the middle and late round success stories that really set teams apart.

Modano
05-18-2007, 10:07 AM
The best statistical WR, imo, will be Meachem. Last year Brees was outstanding, and I don't think he will be worse this year. He made Colston, Henderson, Horn, even Cooper produce well on the field. Meachem has great potential, Brees will use it properly for sure. I expect 900 yards out of him.

JCutlery
05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Adrian Peterson
Ted Ginn
Reggie Nelson
Chris Houston
Lawrence Timmons

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll go ahead and throw out a couple of mid to late round guys who I think could do pretty well:

Daymeion Hughes (Colts) - Too much stock was put into his 40 time; he was simply one of the best in the nation and looks to be a perfect fit for their Cover 2.

Manuel Ramirez (Lions) - Lions O-Line was mediocre, so he has a decent chance to start; I thought of him as underrated and a Day One pick.

Fred Bennett (Texans) - Very good chance of seeing action as a nickel back or possibly even a starter; Houston doesn't have too much at corner besides Dunta Robinson.

Le'Ron McClain (Ravens) - Won't get much acclaim, but he'll be a good blocker and receiving option out of the backfield.

Brandon Harrison (Texans) - Texans have worst starting safety duo in the league, if he impresses during camp he could wind up starting.

Dante Rosario (Panthers) - I like him as an H-back in the Chris Cooley mold; it all depends on how Carolina uses him but I thought he was more than a fifth round pick.

Mason Crosby (Packers) - Best kicker in the draft; I thought he could have gone as high as the late second round.

Acreboy
05-18-2007, 10:52 AM
For some odd reason I think Michael Bush will do very well this year in Oakland.

I was high on Dallas Baker before the draft so I think he'll do well too in Pittsburgh.

Mason Crosby (Packers) - Best kicker in the draft; I thought he could have gone as high as the late second round.Very overrated. Medlock was the best kicker IMO.

T-RICH49
05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Tank Tyler will dominate everyone in his path

ricky bobby
05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
If this thread goes long enough, every single Rookie's name will be thrown out as a "breakout rookie".

jag
05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Mike Walker and Terrel Brown are the two guys I have suprising.

bsaza2358
05-18-2007, 11:40 AM
If this thread goes long enough, every single Rookie's name will be thrown out as a "breakout rookie".

I guarantee that Kevin Kolb will not be named in a serious discussion.

DaBears9654
05-18-2007, 01:28 PM
[hopeful homerism]
Greg Olsen
[/hopeful homerism]

It bugs me a division opponent getting Calvin Johnson, b/c I don't see how he can be a bust. Well, other than the fact that Matt Millen drafted him.

Scar
05-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Kevin Kolb might not contribute anything for the next year or two, but I won't be surprised if he's one of the best QB's from this draft in 3-4 years. Shocked the Eagles took him as high as they did, but had the guy pegged as a sleeper predraft.

49erfanatic
05-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Mike Walker and Terrel Brown are the two guys I have suprising.

I hope you're right about Brown but I don't see him starting this season. There are three veterans in front of him, that I don't see him outplaying this year. Walt Harris is old though, and Spencer needs to prove he can preform consistently. I see Brown making a big splash in his second or third year.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Kevin Kolb might not contribute anything for the next year or two, but I won't be surprised if he's one of the best QB's from this draft in 3-4 years. Shocked the Eagles took him as high as they did, but had the guy pegged as a sleeper predraft.

But this is a rookie breakout of 07 thread.

broncs2bowl
05-18-2007, 11:36 PM
how bout: Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas

EdReedUnstoppable
05-19-2007, 01:30 AM
QB- Brady Quinn or John Beck- because I think they'll be the only 2 to see significant playing time at the QB position

RB- Marshawn Lynch- he will be the best RB from this draft and he should be playin in Baltimore dammit!!

FB- Le'Ron McClain- he may be Ravens starting FB from day 1 and he is the next Lorenzo Neal

WR- Calvin Johnson, Aundrae Allison- Calvin is a freak and he'll dominate, and Aundrae is my favorite WR from this draft and he'll see loads of playing time in Minny and he'll surprise many.

TE- Greg Olsen- Bears are lucky to have this guy.

OT- Levi Brown, Joe Staley- Both will be standouts for their respective teams for many years to come.

OG- Ben Grubbs- He should start from day 1 and he'll see the most action of any OG in the draft.

C- Ryan Kalil- Probably wont see much time but if he does he is the best interior lineman in the draft class.

DE- Jamaal Anderson- He'll be better than Gaines when all is said and done.

DT- Alan Branch- The best DT in the draft, he'll eat up blockers and LBs on his team will look alot better because of him.

OLB- Jon Beason- Awesome talent and great athlete.

MLB- Patrick Willis- A beast.... nuff said.

CB- Darrelle Revis- Gives the Jets 3 pretty good young CBs making their d instantly better.

FS- Brandon Meriweather- Very talented and cmon he's from Da U, you know he's gonna tear it up.

SS- LaRon Landry- If he is as good as his brother Dawan then he is gonna be excellent.

K- Justin Medlock- He is clutch and has a strong leg.

P- Adam Podlesh- Amazing athlete and a great punter too.

KR- Josh Wilson- He is great at Kickoff returns, and leaves a bit to be desired in punt returns so I think he'll be the best rookie kickoff returner.

PR- Yamon Figurs- The only reason I say this is because Ted Ginn might be a little slowed from his injury.

Smokey Joe
05-19-2007, 01:39 AM
Greg Olsen and Dan Bazuin B)

soybean
05-19-2007, 01:41 AM
no one mentioned the future rookie of the year and im dead serious.

Steve Smith... the one rookie who was spectacular on his first days in minicamp.

It's kind of sad when your first round DB is getting murdered by your second round wr.

The Legend
05-19-2007, 04:09 AM
LaRon Landry - SS

Brandon Jackson - RB

Justin Harrell - DT

Antwan Barnes - OLB

stephenson86
05-19-2007, 05:21 AM

tbh from what players have been saying about him in TC and how high our coaches have been on him

i reckon hes going to turn a hell of alot of heads this year

he may have been a workout warrior but hes gonna be one hell of a back

KILLERSANTA
05-19-2007, 06:31 AM
Sidney Rice
Dwayne Jarrett
CJ
AD

21ST
05-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Jarrett
Landry