PDA

View Full Version : A millen sign pops up in Anaheim

Bootland27
05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.wrif.com/dm/firemillen.jpg

JPF
05-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I really feel sorry for you guys. Seems almost the entire fan base wants him gone but the owners don't seem to think a 24-72 record (I think that's what I've seen it as) since he took over is a problem.

Any clue why?

Newbs24
05-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Thats awesome. The dude is a dink and needs to go.

Mythos
05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I really feel sorry for you guys. Seems almost the entire fan base wants him gone but the owners don't seem to think a 24-72 record (I think that's what I've seen it as) since he took over is a problem.

Any clue why?

The best explanation I've heard is that Ford Sr. hates the fans. There is no other way to rationalize it.

Iamcanadian
05-19-2007, 10:20 AM
The best explanation I've heard is that Ford Sr. hates the fans. There is no other way to rationalize it.

There was an old rule in selecting your replacement. Always hire a person who is worse than you. That way, you are sure to be remembered fondly when compared to your successor. Ford hired Millen as his GM and it's probably his last or second last hire as owner of the Lions. Ford has a 50 year record for incompetence as an owner, the worst in pro football by a mile. I think he's hoping that when Millen is finally fired everybody will blame him and not the owner for the mess he leaves behind, Detroit football fans who still buy all the tickets are after all very gullible.

detroit4life
05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
There was an old rule in selecting your replacement. Always hire a person who is worse than you. That way, you are sure to be remembered fondly when compared to your successor. Ford hired Millen as his GM and it's probably his last or second last hire as owner of the Lions. Ford has a 50 year record for incompetence as an owner, the worst in pro football by a mile. I think he's hoping that when Millen is finally fired everybody will blame him and not the owner for the mess he leaves behind, Detroit football fans who still buy all the tickets are after all very gullible.

well IMO the only reason he is a abd owner is because he accepts what they are doing and never has fired Millen. IF he had a good GM he wouldnt be a terrible owner. It seems in the past 10 yearrs he has made three huge mistakes. Hire Millen, force him to take Harrington, and not fire Millen

Iamcanadian
05-20-2007, 09:53 AM
well IMO the only reason he is a abd owner is because he accepts what they are doing and never has fired Millen. IF he had a good GM he wouldnt be a terrible owner. It seems in the past 10 yearrs he has made three huge mistakes. Hire Millen, force him to take Harrington, and not fire Millen

What about the other 40 years when we haven't been much of a threat to win a championship. Our scouting department has stunk for much of that time as he fails to hold them accountable to all the flops they draft even before Millen. Good owners hold people accountable for their performance, Ford hasn't with Millen and that is just an outward sign that he doesn't hold anybody accountable for their failures.
He's the absolute worst owner in pro football and maybe just in all of pro sports. Most franchises with pitiful drafting and winning records are either in cities which have very limited financial resources(Cincy and Buffalo) or have owners who really lack the wealth to compete in the FA era(Arizona). Ford doesn't have those excuses. He's wealthy enough to be competitive and certainly Detroit provides the financial where-with-all to be a very competitive team on a fairly consistant basis. By being the 'nice guy' who fires nobody, he is loved by his employees but has sold his fans and the city of Detroit down the drain.

detroit4life
05-20-2007, 11:08 AM
What about the other 40 years when we haven't been much of a threat to win a championship. Our scouting department has stunk for much of that time as he fails to hold them accountable to all the flops they draft even before Millen. Good owners hold people accountable for their performance, Ford hasn't with Millen and that is just an outward sign that he doesn't hold anybody accountable for their failures.
He's the absolute worst owner in pro football and maybe just in all of pro sports. Most franchises with pitiful drafting and winning records are either in cities which have very limited financial resources(Cincy and Buffalo) or have owners who really lack the wealth to compete in the FA era(Arizona). Ford doesn't have those excuses. He's wealthy enough to be competitive and certainly Detroit provides the financial where-with-all to be a very competitive team on a fairly consistant basis. By being the 'nice guy' who fires nobody, he is loved by his employees but has sold his fans and the city of Detroit down the drain.

i completely agree with you but i siad those 3 major mistakes in the past 10 years for that reason because i really just dont want to go all the way back 40 years. but once Ford gets sick of what Millen is doing and does get a good expierienced GM here i think he could turn his whole name around becasue once the lions start winning people will most likely stop dwelling on the past 40 years. The only reason i dont think that he Fired Millen last year was becasue Rod and the coaching staff only has had one year. Millen should have been fired and a new GM should have made the new hirings. Now i have a feeling theres gonig to be another 2 years so that Rod and Martz have their fair chance to turn things around and i do feel like they are doing a good job right now

Xiomera
05-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Thats funny

Iamcanadian
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
i completely agree with you but i siad those 3 major mistakes in the past 10 years for that reason because i really just dont want to go all the way back 40 years. but once Ford gets sick of what Millen is doing and does get a good expierienced GM here i think he could turn his whole name around becasue once the lions start winning people will most likely stop dwelling on the past 40 years. The only reason i dont think that he Fired Millen last year was becasue Rod and the coaching staff only has had one year. Millen should have been fired and a new GM should have made the new hirings. Now i have a feeling theres gonig to be another 2 years so that Rod and Martz have their fair chance to turn things around and i do feel like they are doing a good job right now

I couldn't agree with you more except Ford has an awfully long record of hiring poor GM's and sticking with them for years no matter what. So the question remains, what are the chances that Ford can indeed recognize a good GM??? Off of past experience, slim to none.
As for Rod and Martz, I certainly doubt Martz is with the team for another 2 years, if he is, it means his offense has done squat and didn't impress another owner to hire him. If his offense shows anything positive, he'll be gone to another team as their new HC. Ron, I feel sorry for, he's between a rock and a hard place. Martz's offense will be our showcase even with Kitna. Our defense is basically weaker on paper than last years. We gave up Bly for offensive players, dumped Hall and brought in White as our saviour on defense. On paper our defense looks like a sieve that people will score on at will. IMO, Millen sold Ron down the drain in the draft and FA just like he did to Mooch before him.
Again IMO, Millen has placed all his cards on an improved team coming from the Offense, Martz obviously has his ear and picked up a starting RT, OG. RB and 2 WR's to assist him. What did Ron get, a second string DE and a couple of second rounders to improve a terrible defense. It seems to me that Millen is treating Martz like his HC and Ron as his DC as far as influence is concerned. Just like Millen to set up a dysfunctional organization that no other team in the NFL follows.
I sense a real disaster in the making with real friction between Ron and Martz as Martz gets all the credit for any success. Of course, Millen hired Marinelli because he is a good soldier who doesn't question his superiors and does what he is told, so we may not hear a squeek out of him.

dreadedluck
05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Marinelli is Millen's yes man, absolutely. Feel bad for Rod, I still feel bad for that bonehead Marty, another yes man that got the axe so Millen looks like he is actually trying. In my opinion both these guys should never get another HC oppurtunity. The only deceit HC we have had under Millen was Mariucci, and thats cause he wouldn't put up with Millen's idiotic decisions, and of course Mariucci was booted out because he went against "the Millen". Didn't Millen love Mariucci and wanted him so badly, and yet such a quick exit!

If I was coaching and my OC kept wasting TO's and kept talking behind the scenes and building a pact with Millen behind my back, we have a duel Burr-Hamilton style. Of course if Martz doesn't leave cause he is an awful HC, then the Lions will probaly promote him to HC, and that will be another loser decision.

And is it me or does anyone else get pissed because we play in a dome? At least we should try to use the weather, as something extra on our side, and thats how football is supposed to be played inthe elements not in a stadium that doubles as a concert hall so more money can be banked by the owner.

detroit4life
05-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I couldn't agree with you more except Ford has an awfully long record of hiring poor GM's and sticking with them for years no matter what. So the question remains, what are the chances that Ford can indeed recognize a good GM??? Off of past experience, slim to none.
As for Rod and Martz, I certainly doubt Martz is with the team for another 2 years, if he is, it means his offense has done squat and didn't impress another owner to hire him. If his offense shows anything positive, he'll be gone to another team as their new HC. Ron, I feel sorry for, he's between a rock and a hard place. Martz's offense will be our showcase even with Kitna. Our defense is basically weaker on paper than last years. We gave up Bly for offensive players, dumped Hall and brought in White as our saviour on defense. On paper our defense looks like a sieve that people will score on at will. IMO, Millen sold Ron down the drain in the draft and FA just like he did to Mooch before him.
Again IMO, Millen has placed all his cards on an improved team coming from the Offense, Martz obviously has his ear and picked up a starting RT, OG. RB and 2 WR's to assist him. What did Ron get, a second string DE and a couple of second rounders to improve a terrible defense. It seems to me that Millen is treating Martz like his HC and Ron as his DC as far as influence is concerned. Just like Millen to set up a dysfunctional organization that no other team in the NFL follows.
I sense a real disaster in the making with real friction between Ron and Martz as Martz gets all the credit for any success. Of course, Millen hired Marinelli because he is a good soldier who doesn't question his superiors and does what he is told, so we may not hear a squeek out of him.

IMO Marinelli was here to build up this defense with younger players. he got players he wanted in IAF Alexander White and Fisher. These players are players he wanted. It may not be enough right now i agree with you but i just think the cards were played out this season for millen to add players to this offense there was no offensive player worth taking at 2 and Martz was just very high on Stanton so they took him but thats is why Millen wasnt fired this year and that is why he probably wont be next year. They are giving Marinelli the young players he wants to fit his scheme and to develope. Unfortunately this is why we will have another top 10 pick next year. Our offense will be pretty good IMO but our season depends on our defense and until we build that up which we are doing mayb not as fast as people want but we are doing we will not be a very good team.