PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Best NFL RB

Bengals1690
05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
The obvious best is LT, but you would you put right below him?

I would put steven jackson. He is a pile pusher but has good speed and is very versitale

bored of education
05-18-2007, 05:08 PM
LJ
Jackson
Gore

CC.SD
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
LT. It's kind of like the second rule of Fight Club.

Realistically, I'd say Brian Westbrook, he is slick. I think Adrian Peterson is going to explode onto the scene though.

LitoSheppard
05-18-2007, 05:12 PM
So many great ones, and Steven Jackson is close but Frank Gore will take LT's number one spot in 2 years..As of now Gore is second

bored of education
05-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Gore is 4th or 5th

1. LT
2. LJ
3. Jackson
4. Gore/Westbrook
5. Gore/Westbrook

remix 6
05-18-2007, 05:35 PM
i love Gore since im a U fan but i gotta go with Jackson..hes strong..fast..and catches very well out of backfield

1. LT
2. Jackson
3. Gore
4. Johnson
5. Westbrook
6. Portis(if he was healthy i woulda put him #3 :(

Phrost
05-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Honestly for the Bucs WCO, I would take Westbrook.

Hmm, Larry Johnson is the best pure runner. Then Steven Jackson.

Splat
05-18-2007, 05:38 PM
When it comes to just running the rock I would take LJ after LT but Steven Jackson is by far a better all around back then LJ.

ninerfan
05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
2 - 5 is pretty close really. Gore, Jackson, LJ and Portis could all claim the no.2 on their day

terribletowel39
05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
i wouldn't put Gore ahead of LJ or Jackson or Portis or McAlister or Edge or Alexander or Parker (homer pick) thats about it maybe one or two more that i am not thinking of right now, but that looks good to me.

ninerfan
05-18-2007, 05:47 PM
i wouldn't put Gore ahead of LJ or Jackson or Portis or McAlister or Edge or Alexander or Parker (homer pick) thats about it maybe one or two more that i am not thinking of right now, but that looks good to me.

Ok so where does the leagues no.3 rusher (Gore) rate on your scale ?

Flyboy
05-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd go with Jackson. I love his versatility he brings to the table.

terribletowel39
05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
behind all of those guys. so hold let me scroll and count.......9

Phrost
05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
When it comes to just running the rock I would take LJ after LT but Steven Jackson is by far a better all around back then LJ.

^^^^And that my friends is exactly how not to be a homer.

Phrost
05-18-2007, 05:51 PM

I completely agree, I just don't buy into what Gore is selling.

terribletowel39
05-18-2007, 05:53 PM
yea it was one good year in which noone was ready for him. and he runs in the NFC west. with all those good defenses, it will be hard to repeat that performance. (sarcasm) :)

Paranoidmoonduck
05-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Not a huge supporter of Larry Johnson and Gore still has plenty to prove, so I'll go with Steven Jackson.

ninerfan
05-18-2007, 05:56 PM
behind all of those guys. so hold let me scroll and count.......9

hahahaha thanks for the laugh

Gore ran 1695 @ 5.4 per carry (best in top 20) on a side that had no WR's or legit passing game. He faced defenses stacked against the run but he still got it done.

BTW the 9th best RB last yr ran for 500 yards less @ 4.0 per carry !! This is not a homer call but I think Gore is a little better than 9th

Phrost
05-18-2007, 05:58 PM
hahahaha thanks for the laugh

Gore ran 1695 @ 5.4 per carry (best in top 20) on a side that had no WR's or legit passing game. He faced defenses stacked against the run but he still got it done.

BTW the 9th best RB last yr ran for 500 yards less @ 4.0 per carry !! This is not a homer call but I think Gore is a little better than 9th

As he terrible said, against the NFC West. No one was ready and most of those run defenses are jokes...actually all of them are.

terribletowel39
05-18-2007, 06:01 PM
well i obviously have some reason for what i am saying because other ppl have agreed with me and to just throw this out there, this thread is completely opinionated. so i gave mine.

ninerfan
05-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm not saying Gore is no.1 but he is in the 2-5 range with others on their day

terribletowel39
05-18-2007, 06:04 PM
and i respect your opinion, i just don't agree with it.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't really see how you could say that Gore isn't a top 5 back after watching what he did last year. By the same token, if you're knocking him because of his division, what is Steven Jackson doing so high?

Bengals1690
05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I don't really see how you could say that Gore isn't a top 5 back after watching what he did last year. By the same token, if you're knocking him because of his division, what is Steven Jackson doing so high?

my top 5:

1. LT
2. Steve Jackson
3. Frank Gore
4. LArry Johnson
5. Brian Westbrook.

i

terribletowel39
05-18-2007, 06:09 PM
because Jackson is more of a complete back than Gore and Gore was a suprise like i said. Gore only has done something one year so he has a lot to prove to me, especially with the injuries of past, just to see if he can make it.

remix 6
05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
because Jackson is more of a complete back than Gore and Gore was a suprise like i said. Gore only has done something one year so he has a lot to prove to me, especially with the injuries of past, just to see if he can make it.

Gore had 608 yards as a rookie and a 4.8 ypc avg..i wouldnt callhim a 1 year hit. He was 1 of the best backs for Miami before injuries..he was so talented..fast..quick. Hes not as fast as he used to be or as quick but hes still very quick for a powerful guy

compare

Jackson: 3247 yards, 4.4 ypc 25 TDs (3 seasons) 2 seasons as starter
Gore: 2303 yards 5.2 ypc 14 TDs (2 seasons) 1-1.5 years starting

both are very good backs..i like Jackson better for the #2 spot but just saying..Gore is very good himself

Phrost
05-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Gore had 608 yards as a rookie and a 4.8 ypc avg..i wouldnt callhim a 1 year hit. He was 1 of the best backs for Miami before injuries..he was so talented..fast..quick. Hes not as fast as he used to be or as quick but hes still very quick for a powerful guy

Did he lose as much speed as this guy?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A9-KkUH8yt8

terribletowel39
05-18-2007, 06:16 PM
next time i see i will give him a high five and cookie.

it's just my opinion. yall aren't going to waiver me to all of sudden pick him over those guys.

T-RICH49
05-18-2007, 06:18 PM
LJ by far he has better spped then I think most give him credit for so the combo of power and spped is what seperates him from Jackson, Westbrook and Gore

remix 6
05-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Did he lose as much speed as this guy?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A9-KkUH8yt8

not at all. McGahee was a 4.2-4.3 guy..hes slowly working toward becoming more explosive but he hasnt been the McGahee he flashed at Miami.

49erfaithful
05-18-2007, 06:22 PM
LJ then Jackson and Gore for third

draftguru151
05-18-2007, 10:22 PM
not at all. McGahee was a 4.2-4.3 guy..hes slowly working toward becoming more explosive but he hasnt been the McGahee he flashed at Miami.

McGahee was the fastest player ever at Miami.

The Dynasty
05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Ill say Jackson just because he was the only guy to go over 100+ on the Vikings Run Defense and ruined the record :(.

broncs2bowl
05-18-2007, 11:26 PM
LJ- BEAST
Jackson- bulldozer
Portis- Awesome great runner when healthy
Gore- idk it was only one year but he deserves this

Phrost
05-19-2007, 02:33 PM
LJ- BEAST

LJ=Little Jim(Brown that is)

Achilles33
05-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Steven Jackson.

Achilles33
05-19-2007, 05:23 PM
McGahee was the fastest player ever at Miami.

Hahahahahaha. That was a good one.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Hahahahahaha. That was a good one.

McGahee final season at Miami was possibly the most impressive by a college runningback I've ever seen. The speed and explosion, not to mention the ability to start and stop, shown by McGahee was absolutely ridiculous.

He impressed me more that year than Peterson did his freshman year, McFadden did last year, Cadillac Williams or Ronnie Brown did in any year, Cedric Benson did in his whole career, etc.

The only year I observed first hand that comes close is probably Ricky Williams' Heisman year.

Flyboy
05-19-2007, 06:08 PM
McGahee final season at Miami was possibly the most impressive by a college runningback I've ever seen. The speed and explosion, not to mention the ability to start and stop, shown by McGahee was absolutely ridiculous.

He impressed me more that year than Peterson did his freshman year, McFadden did last year, Cadillac Williams or Ronnie Brown did in any year, Cedric Benson did in his whole career, etc.

The only year I observed first hand that comes close is probably Ricky Williams' Heisman year.

Not to be a homer or anything, but Bush's junior year was insanely impressive as well.

nobodyinparticular
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
well i obviously have some reason for what i am saying because other ppl have agreed with me and to just throw this out there, this thread is completely opinionated. so i gave mine.

Hmmm, yes. I love your logic. I feel exactly the same way about many of my own beliefs and opinions. People disregard them for being stupid, but many other people believe the same as I do, so I must have credibility just like you must have credibility.

One of my beliefs that I take the most flak for is in a flat earth. God made Earth flat, and the government is trying to cover it up. Look at all the people who agree with me.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum//

I obviously have some reason for what I am saying because other people have agreed with me.

Right?

Make sure you watch out for the ninja penguins guarding the ice wall around the perimeter of the earth.

Ravens1991
05-19-2007, 06:40 PM

I loved Willis in college, I was happy to hear he came to Baltimore, I hope he can return to his miami form.

terribletowel39
05-19-2007, 07:27 PM
i would say still to this day that Barry Sanders had the most impressive season in college.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Not to be a homer or anything, but Bush's junior year was insanely impressive as well.

You're correct, I think I was a little more impressed with McGahee's. I forgot to mention Bush, but he's comes close.

i would say still to this day that Barry Sanders had the most impressive season in college.

I would definitely agree, but I never saw him play at OK St., all I've seen is highlights.

Phrost
05-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Hmmm, yes. I love your logic. I feel exactly the same way about many of my own beliefs and opinions. People disregard them for being stupid, but many other people believe the same as I do, so I must have credibility just like you must have credibility.

One of my beliefs that I take the most flak for is in a flat earth. God made Earth flat, and the government is trying to cover it up. Look at all the people who agree with me.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum//

I obviously have some reason for what I am saying because other people have agreed with me.

Right?

Make sure you watch out for the ninja penguins guarding the ice wall around the perimeter of the earth.

Thats really odd, I was on that website last night. My only question is that why would the government say the earth is flat to gain money? The amount of money isn't even that significant.

Smooth Criminal
05-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Gore is a very talented back. I think he will be one of the best backs in the league within a few years. But as of now its hard to say he is better than guys that have more than 1 good year under their belt.

I think Gore will be a great back but I'd honestly take LJ, Alexander, Jackson, Parker, and Westbrook ahead of him right now. I need more than a good year to say that a guy is top 5 in the league.

Shiver
05-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Steven Jackson...

dhoe20
05-20-2007, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't put LDT far ahead of the other RBs. Except for last year, he's never been the clear #1 best RB of the league.

'06 - LDT was clearly the best RB.
'05 - Alexander, Tiki, and LJ all arguably had better seasons
'04 - Several RBs outplayed LDT
'03 - Jamal Lewis, LDT was 2 or 3
'02 - Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes

I can't think of any RBs that will outplay LDT next season, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't have the rushing title.

Flyboy
05-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Steven Jackson > Julius Jones + Marcus Spears.

Oops.

bored of education
05-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Priest Holmes!!!!!

Paranoidmoonduck
05-20-2007, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't put LDT far ahead of the other RBs. Except for last year, he's never been the clear #1 best RB of the league.

'06 - LDT was clearly the best RB.
'05 - Alexander, Tiki, and LJ all arguably had better seasons
'04 - Several RBs outplayed LDT
'03 - Jamal Lewis, LDT was 2 or 3
'02 - Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes

I can't think of any RBs that will outplay LDT next season, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't have the rushing title.

Statistically he hasn't always been the best, but many have considered him the best runner in the league for at least 3 years now, if not longer.

sodar21
05-20-2007, 12:15 AM
So is Frank Gore this year's Larry Johnson?

kmartin575
05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Larry Johnson #2 easily.

High Roller
05-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Like to see Gore get some love.

But I say LT, SJax, then Gore (look at ninerfan's reasons).

adschofield
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
LJ easily

Steven Jackson is overrated... He pads his stats against bad teams and struggles against the better ones... In 10 out of his 16 games, he rushed for under 100 yards.

I like Frank Gore, but he only play at this level for about 2 or 3 more years because of his injuries.

Portis is also overrated... He became famous by playing in Denver's ZBS, which anyone can do well in. Plus only 1 game over 100 yards last season in his 8 games. He's a good back, just not top 5.

Not a big fan of Willis either

I do like Joseph Addai, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Laurence Maroney as future studs.

princefielder28
05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
In the games Steven Jackson didn't reach 100 yards he averaged 6.7 catches and 56.9 yards. Pretty good!

kmartin575
05-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Also look at the division Frank Gore and Steven Jackson are in. The NFC West isn't exactly a group of powerhouses on defense. Ladainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson had go go up against some very solid defenses in the AFC West.

BlindSite
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Number 2 RB in the NFL right now is Stephen Jackson, he's just a good of a ball runner as LJ and Gore and he's got better hands than them both.

Hell if I was picking second in my fantasy draft coming up he'd be my pick. The kid is a stud/

adschofield
05-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Number 2 RB in the NFL right now is Stephen Jackson, he's just a good of a ball runner as LJ and Gore and he's got better hands than them both.

Hell if I was picking second in my fantasy draft coming up he'd be my pick. The kid is a stud/

If he was as good of a ball runner as LJ and Gore, why does he consisently under produce in a weaker division than LJ's division. Also, LJ is a very underrated pass catcher.

BengalsPwn
05-22-2007, 10:32 PM
My top 10 looks something like this:

1. LT
2. S. Jackson
3. C. Portis
4. B. Westbrook
5. W. Parker (some respect for a steeler)
6. F. Gore
7. S. Alexander
8. W. McGahee
9. L. Johnson
10. R. Johnson

And yes I would take all 8 of those guys over LJ.

kmartin575
05-22-2007, 10:33 PM

Larry Johnson- 1,789 yards, 4.3 average
Steven Jackson- 1,528 yards, 4.4 average

Stats don't show Jackson is better. Larry Johnson has two straight seasons of 1,750+ yards. Nobody fears Jackson the way they fear Larry Johnson.

Not to mention, Jackson had the benfit for most of the year of a better offensive line, better quarterback, and better offensive weapons to draw the pressure off of him. Teams couldn't stack the box against the Rams or they would get burnt by Holt and Bruce. Teams were free to stack the box against the Chiefs and the only weapon they had to worry about was Tony Gonzalez.

kmartin575
05-22-2007, 10:34 PM
My top 10 looks something like this:

1. LT
2. S. Jackson
3. C. Portis
4. B. Westbrook
5. W. Parker (some respect for a steeler)
6. F. Gore
7. S. Alexander
8. W. McGahee
9. L. Johnson
10. R. Johnson

And yes I would take all 8 of those guys over LJ.

That is nothing short of ignorant.

Larry Johnson was the Chiefs' entire offense last year. None of those other guys carried the load the way LJ did.

kmartin575
05-22-2007, 10:39 PM
If he was as good of a ball runner as LJ and Gore, why does he consisently under produce in a weaker division than LJ's division. Also, LJ is a very underrated pass catcher.

Yes he is. LJ was putting up great receiving stats until Trent Green came back. Green simply refused to to throw to LJ.

Trent Green came back in week 10 against Oakland. Up until that point LJ had 29 receptions. In the final 7 games of the season LJ had a mere 12 receptions. Larry Johnson was the Chiefs' leading receiver for about the first half of the season. Green simply refused to throw the ball to LJ as he tried to force feed the ball to the wide receivers. Tony Gonzalez' receptions also went up without Green in the lineup.

TouchdownUSC
05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
1. LT
2. Larry Johnson
3. Clinton Portis (very close to moving to #2. maybe after next season if he stays healthy)
3. Steven Jackson
4. Frank Gore
5. Shaun Alexander

BlindSite
05-22-2007, 10:46 PM

Here's his total yardage in divisional games:

Average Rushing attempts: 21
Average YPG Rushing: 88.5
Average YPC: 4.2

Average Receptions: 6
Average Receiving yards: 50
Average YPC: 9.7

Average TD totals PG: 0.5

Average touches per game: 27
Average Yards Per Game: 138.5
Average Yards Per Touch: 5.2

Underachieved I don't think so.

tom
05-22-2007, 10:49 PM
This thread is racist... all the guys you've named are black

BengalsPwn
05-22-2007, 10:50 PM
That is nothing short of ignorant.

Larry Johnson was the Chiefs' entire offense last year. None of those other guys carried the load the way LJ did.

All of those guys did carry the load. Portis and Alexander were injured but you can't demote them for a injury season when they've been playing at an all pro level previously. Westbrook carried Philly into the playoffs, not Jeff Garcia. Parker was THE steelers last season. Jackson had the most yards from scrimmage. Also if you think KC's line was bad, look at what Willis had to run behind. So don't say it's ignorant when your being a complete homer. Just because LJ broke the carries record doesn't mean he meant more to his team then any of those other guys.

BlindSite
05-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Larry Johnson- 1,789 yards, 4.3 average
Steven Jackson- 1,528 yards, 4.4 average

Stats don't show Jackson is better. Larry Johnson has two straight seasons of 1,750+ yards. Nobody fears Jackson the way they fear Larry Johnson.

Larry Johnson also had 70 more carries...

Not to mention, Jackson had the benfit for most of the year of a better offensive line, better quarterback, and better offensive weapons to draw the pressure off of him. Teams couldn't stack the box against the Rams or they would get burnt by Holt and Bruce. Teams were free to stack the box against the Chiefs and the only weapon they had to worry about was Tony Gonzalez.

I understand LJ is a good running back, hell, he's my number three, so calm down acting like I've got him at number ten.

Last year LJ had 457 total touches, 2199 yards and 21 scores.
Which means he average 4.8yards per touch and 0.045 scores per touch.

Jackson had 436 Total Touches, 2334 total yards and 16 scores.
Which means he averaged 5.3yards per touch and 0.036 scores per touch.

LJ has the better nose for the end zone, but there's also other targets who were used in the redzone than in KC.

I know SJ had the better supporting cast, but you can't hold that against him for producing better with the chances he got.

Michigan
05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
1. LT
2. Jackson
3. Portis
4. LJ
5. Gore

LJ would be higher if it werent for the whole "411 carries" thing. Also, I wouldnt be surprised and almost expect that MJD and Maroney will make this list by the end of the year.

BlindSite
05-22-2007, 11:04 PM
MJD has an uphill battle, Greg Jones is a big time red zone talent and Fred Taylor is still on board and will probably be ridden while he can. MJD imo won't be a top 5 back till the 2008/9 season when Jones has probably moved on and Taylor has given up, or fallen apart.

Acreboy
05-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Larry Johnson #2 easily.
I agree, by a large margin.

fenikz
05-22-2007, 11:32 PM
LJ, all though he isn't the one who i would want on the cards

TheChampIsHere
05-23-2007, 12:40 AM
This thread is racist... all the guys you've named are black

is this your way of making fun of people saying that many people, like you, are racist against blacks?

TheChampIsHere
05-23-2007, 12:45 AM
1. LT
2. LJ
3. Westbrook
4. S Jack
5. Bush
6. Gore
7. Alexander
8. Portis
9. McGahee
10. Willie

BlindSite
05-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree, by a large margin.

Yeah, because clearly a player who produces more with every touch is a lesser player...

reinar
05-24-2007, 02:55 AM
I dont know if I would put LT as #1, if you took him and moved him to another team, say Houston, or Browns, would he still be this awesome #1 rusher you claim? I dont think so.

to me a great back is great no matter how great his line is, Payton, Sanders, Jim Brown, etc.

tom
05-24-2007, 03:42 AM
is this your way of making fun of people saying that many people, like you, are racist against blacks?

Hey man, let's get something straight, Black is a politically incorrect term, if you are going to refer to African Americans, then you should use a PC word, like Negro. However, it seems to me that all you want to do is pick a fight on a forum, probably because you're some geeky wuz who cannot pick a fight with an actual person. So if you want to call me a racist, call me a racist, **** if I care.

I have better things to do than worry about that. Still, I think you can go and **** yourself mate... you're a complete idiot and should be shot.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
A healthy Portis would probaly put him at #2 for me, but I'll go with S-Jax.

Vikes99ej
05-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm going to say Larry Johnson. Steven Jackson is close, though. I just need to see one more year like the 2006 season.

MasterShake
05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah, because clearly a player who produces more with every touch is a lesser player...

Seriously...

I know you are talking about Steven Jackson, but I don't think people realize how insane it is to average 5.4 YPC against 8 man fronts for an entire year....Thats Frank Gore for you.

And anyone who has watched Frank Gore run knows that he isn't a one year wonder, the guy can play football. The only thing that can limit his career is injuries...knock on wood.

P.S.

I'm not saying Gore is #2....I'd list em...

1. LT
2. S-Jax
3. LJ
4. Gore

Bengals1690
05-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I dont know if I would put LT as #1, if you took him and moved him to another team, say Houston, or Browns, would he still be this awesome #1 rusher you claim? I dont think so.

to me a great back is great no matter how great his line is, Payton, Sanders, Jim Brown, etc.

i stopped reading after that,because you are nuts

remix 6
05-24-2007, 04:18 PM

didnt he have a very bad OL 2 or 3 seasons ago?

1335 yards rushing, 441 receiving and still had 20 total TDs..3.9 ypc however
^'04

in 05: 1462 rushing, 370 receiving, 20 total TDs, 4.3 ypc