PDA

View Full Version : Fired

Moses
05-19-2007, 01:19 AM
I was fired for the first time in my life today!

I was working at a truss company, building trusses. I started on Monday and found out after my shift tonight (Friday) that I was fired.

The job was pretty simple. We built trusses. I worked in a team of 3 with two other more experienced guys. We layed out the truss, plated it, and pressed it. Not rocket science, but it takes a bit of learning to get the knack of it.

I was fired because apparently I was too slow. This angers me for a few reasons:

1) I wasn't. I could easily keep up with my crew and was ahead of one of the guy's 95% of the time. I was there only a few days and I had picked up everything very well. Also, the night shift foreman said that the day shift foreman said I was too slow. How would he know since he was never there while I was working (I was on the night shift). My work was also good quality.

2) My crew leader and other employees were surprised that I was fired. They said they had never seen anybody get fired before. Also, they thought I was making good time.

3) I feel I was fired because I didn't fit the "mold" of the employees there. I'm a university student who is just trying to make some cash this summer to pay next year's bills. Everybody else who works there is a high school dropout, drug addict, and a criminal. During break, every single employee (except the boss and two old guys) would snort cocaine and smoke pot. They were all coke fiends and most of them had extensive criminal records (lots of domestic abuse, drug charges,etc.). How does the most clean cut guy get fired? I worked as hard as anybody there and was picking it up faster than other people who were recently hired.

Anybody else get fired and felt it was unjust? I'm not too angry because the job was nothing special, but it still pisses me off that I was fired for what I felt was unjust.

sweetness34
05-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Dude that sucks. I'd say file a lawsuit but it looks like you're not to angry about it. Good luck finding a new job man, in the mean time, drink your life away! :D

Windy
05-19-2007, 01:24 AM
He's a student, where would he get the money for a Lawsuit?

Anyways, assuming you have some of their phone numbers, just prank call them a few times and things like that.

Smokey Joe
05-19-2007, 01:26 AM
I think they did you a favor by firing you... I wouldn't want to work there. One of the crack heads would pull a knife on you.

sweetness34
05-19-2007, 01:29 AM
He's a student, where would he get the money for a Lawsuit?

Anyways, assuming you have some of their phone numbers, just prank call them a few times and things like that.

He could always represent himself. Canadian courts are probably pretty easy to persuade. :D

Moses
05-19-2007, 01:30 AM
I think they did you a favor by firing you... I wouldn't want to work there. One of the crack heads would pull a knife on you.

I wouldn't doubt it although I managed to get along with them. It's not the coke fiends that I'm pissed at, just management.

Borat
05-19-2007, 01:30 AM
3) I feel I was fired because I didn't fit the "mold" of the employees there. I'm a university student who is just trying to make some cash this summer to pay next year's bills. Everybody else who works there is a high school dropout, drug addict, and a criminal. During break, every single employee (except the boss and two old guys) would snort cocaine and smoke pot. They were all coke fiends and most of them had extensive criminal records (lots of domestic abuse, drug charges,etc.). How does the most clean cut guy get fired? I worked as hard as anybody there and was picking it up faster than other people who were recently hired.

Maybe they thought you were a Narc! Just kidding man. Sounds like a very replaceable job. You'll be fine. Good luck.

EvilMonkey
05-19-2007, 01:31 AM
I havent been fired for dumb reasons but i worked at a factory over the summer and it was my second summer working there and there's a cushy summer job driving a forklift around that they give out based on seniority, which i was #1 and they gave it to a hot chick that just started that summer. I was so mad about it and made sure that management knew it. They threatened to fire me if didnt drop it and i quit on the spot but they convinced me to come back but i told them i'm willing to quit if anything else dumb happens.

It all worked out I guess since management never scheduled me for mandatory weekend work that entire summer cuz they knew i would be pissed and top that off with the last month of summer when i went out with the hot chick who got the job that was rightfully mine.

Not nearly as bad as ur story in any way but just another example of idiot people who are in charge and make dumb decisions. Good luck finding hopefully a better job.

Moses
05-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Dude that sucks. I'd say file a lawsuit but it looks like you're not to angry about it. Good luck finding a new job man, in the mean time, drink your life away! :D

Meh, I don't have the time to file a lawsuit. Hell, I should be filing one right now for when a kid caught me on the streets and knocked me out. Then, him and his buddies attacked four of my friends in their car. They smashed the windows in and started kicking and punching them through the windows. Just not worth the effort though because nothing will come of the lawsuit.

As for the drinking, I'll probably drink on weekends like usual but it's boring here. In the summer I live in a REALLY small town (4,400 people) so there's not much going on.

Beans
05-19-2007, 07:18 AM
The hell's a truss?

Also, that sucks.

nvot9
05-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Man don't worry about it. I don't know how uspet you are, but don't be for a few reasons. 1) It seems like a lousy job anyways, maybe this is a blessing in disguise and you can move on to bigger and better things. 2) Judging by your comments, you seem like a very intelligent man, I think you are more than capable of finding a new job soon.

Splat
05-19-2007, 08:09 AM
When I was a teenager I was working at a pizza place they waited for me to help unload the truck then gave me the butt the second I was done just kept be around to unload the truck I was pist.:mad:

bored of education
05-19-2007, 09:33 AM
If your white, you could probably now win a defamation suit.

kalbears13
05-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I was working as a cashier for over a year and then some new girl comes in and she gets paid more than I did. I got a raise like 2 months later but it still kinda pissed me off.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Never been fired, so here's a quit story.

My first job was at Taco Hell when I was almost 17 years old. I worked with some of the biggest idiots in the free world; my "training manager" just threw me on the line after about an hour of watching videos on my first day. Granted, any idiot can work fast food, but it's actually pretty frustrating whenever you don't get trained, literally at all. I also never eat Taco Bell, so I didn't know anything on the menu aside from the plain old taco. I think it was my fourth day working there, it was lunch time and things were pretty hectic because cars were arriving faster than the idiots and I could get the food out. At that point, I decided enough was enough. I simply clocked out, went home, and have only been back once -- to turn in my uniform and pick up my ****** ass check. It felt good.

I've had my current job almost three years, and let's just say it's been a MUCH more pleasurable experience.

BuckNaked
05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I was working as a cashier for over a year and then some new girl comes in and she gets paid more than I did. I got a raise like 2 months later but it still kinda pissed me off.

Did she have a nice rack?

kalbears13
05-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Did she have a nice rack?

No. But the other guy's coworker probably does. He's the one with the hot chick working with him.

diabsoule
05-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I just quit my job because every day I would go to work the boss would jump down my butt for some thing or another. Him and I are okay friends but I just can't work for him because he isn't a good boss.

kalbears13
05-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I just quit my job because every day I would go to work the boss would jump down my butt for some thing or another. Him and I are okay friends but I just can't work for him because he isn't a good boss.

Ever think that something could be lodged up his butt?

RyanLeaf#1
05-19-2007, 11:57 AM
sucks man hopefully you find something else

Moses
05-19-2007, 12:16 PM
The hell's a truss?

Also, that sucks.

Trusses are what hold up roofs of buildings. Here's an example of one:

http://www.carsondunlop.com/OBS/imagesreports/truss.gif

They come in all shapes and sizes.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow, that's pretty weak of them. It might be a blessing in disguise though, you may be mad right now, but it doesn't seem worth it anyway.

Moses
05-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow, that's pretty weak of them. It might be a blessing in disguise though, you may be mad right now, but it doesn't seem worth it anyway.

I'm still searching for a new job but I've had pretty bad luck so far this summer. Every interview I go to seems doomed from the start.

Shane P. Hallam
05-19-2007, 12:44 PM
When these kind of things happen, I usually figure they happen for a reason. Something better will come up.

mcdlaxbonz13
05-19-2007, 12:47 PM
well i havent been fired yet but im about to for similiar reasons. where i work the following things are valued and rewarded: Being late(like 20 minutes late), instead of working talking to other employees mainly managers, going on dates with the main manager who is 36 and all of us are 18, smoking pot during work and drinking during work, being a complete dick head to customers, and just plain immaturity.

tEk
05-19-2007, 01:04 PM
well i havent been fired yet but im about to for similiar reasons. where i work the following things are valued and rewarded: Being late(like 20 minutes late), instead of working talking to other employees mainly managers, going on dates with the main manager who is 36 and all of us are 18, smoking pot during work and drinking during work, being a complete dick head to customers, and just plain immaturity.
where the hell do you work that allows that in retail?

Beans
05-19-2007, 01:28 PM

Those aren't similar reasons... at all.

KCJ58
05-19-2007, 01:36 PM
atleast u had a job

elway777
05-19-2007, 02:45 PM
I have a strong feeling im going to get fired from my new job.

tEk
05-19-2007, 02:52 PM
elway. heres to an early termination.

kalbears13
05-19-2007, 02:54 PM
elway. heres to an early termination.

I think Arnold sounds better saying that.

Tobzilla
05-19-2007, 03:22 PM
"Life's a ***** and then you die"
-Nas

bearfan
05-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Get an employment lawyer, see if you have a case

mcdlaxbonz13
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
where the hell do you work that allows that in retail?

i work at little ceasars and i forgot to mention my manager also buys alcohol for minors and then drinks with them. she also went to canada with one of the 18 year old employees

Vince Lombardi
05-19-2007, 08:34 PM
One of the most perplexing things I've encountered in my life is that somehow, no matter where I work, it's always the least qualified/capable people that get promoted to management. I've been working since I was 16 and I've had a million different jobs, and off the top of my head I can't think of more than maybe one boss I've had that I've respected enough that I didn't want to let down.

BTW, I did valet parking at a really upscale hotel in Miami for awhile and my manager would go to all of the parties on the roof there and bring us back hard liquor. Nothing like parking people's Ferraris and Benz's all lit up.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-19-2007, 09:03 PM
For some reason it always sucks to get fired from a crappy job far more than from a sweet job. Does more damage to your pride.

That sucks dude, but maybe some of the guys were uncomfortable working around you. I wouldn't let it get you down.

BuckNaked
05-19-2007, 09:04 PM
For some reason it always sucks to get fired from a crappy job far more than from a sweet job. Does more damage to your pride.

That sucks dude, but maybe some of the guys were uncomfortable working around you. I wouldn't let it get you down.

Imagine workers getting uncomfortable by the one guy who isnt a coke fiend.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Imagine workers getting uncomfortable by the one guy who isnt a coke fiend.

I know Moses ain't the most sober fellow, but those who are straight edge make some of those who aren't distinctly uncomfortable.

By the way, nice Hot Fuzz sig.

BuckNaked
05-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I know Moses ain't the most sober fellow, but those who are straight edge make some of those who aren't distinctly uncomfortable.

By the way, nice Hot Fuzz sig.

Thank you for the compliment.

jayceheathman
05-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Get an employment lawyer, see if you have a case

From the information he has given it doesnt seem like he would win at all. Its not disperate impact unless it was discrimination against your age, sex, or religion. It didnt seem like it was a hostile environment either, so its not worth even trying to go to court even if you had to money for it.

someone447
05-20-2007, 01:26 AM
I worked at American Eagle for a grand total of 2 weeks last summer. I didn't go in for a week, so I assumed I was fired. When I went to pick up my paycheck, my manager APOLOGIZED for firing me.

DaBears9654
05-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Anybody else get fired and felt it was unjust?
Nope. I totally deserved it. I was a newspaper intern and was very disappointed at how I was performing. Other than that, I've either been laid off or dumped 'em (I hate the word, "quit").

It sounds like, with that kind of co-workers, you're better off. Just try your best to find something more suitable.

ricky bobby
05-20-2007, 10:30 AM
"Life's a ***** and then you die"
-Nas
"''Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony that's life. Try to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you die"
- The Verve

ccB
05-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I miss all my Highschool dropout, drug addict, criminal friends from when I used to do construction.

themaninblack
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
turns out the people who are the most ****** up tend to be some of the better workers, at least where i work. ive been there for 3 years and been trying to get fired somewhat for the past year.

Vikes99ej
05-21-2007, 10:30 AM
I almost got fired at Burger King once. Right now, I wish I would have been.