PDA

View Full Version : Can Lance Briggs get a 1st round pick via trade?

Smokey Joe
11-18-2006, 08:02 PM
There was a thread about this last week, but I couldn't find it. I think sweetness34 asked the question: if Lance Briggs is franchised tagged in the offseason, and traded, could the Bear get a 1st round pick out of it?

At first I said no, but now that I think into it more, why not? He is young, only 25 or 26, and if he stays healthy the rest of the season and everything goes as planned, he will surely be going to his second straight pro-bowl. The only problem is that he will be looking for a huge contract.

So, what are your thoughts?

Staubach12
11-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes.

sweetness34
11-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I'll take a first round pick any day of the week for Briggs. Please let it be some really bad team so we can get a high draft pick. :D

SFbear
11-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I think if Rivera gets a head coaching job somewhere he could convince that front office that Briggs is the kind of player he could build a future defense around playing either OLB or MLB.

Smokey Joe
11-18-2006, 08:14 PM
I think if Rivera gets a head coaching job somewhere he could convince that front office that Briggs is the kind of player he could build a future defense around playing either OLB or MLB.
that is true. I never thought of it that way before.

bearfan
11-18-2006, 08:22 PM
I say no, but the Rivera theory is an idea to toy w/.

bigbluedefense
11-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I can see maybe Tampa investing in him. But I think that most teams will play it smart and wait for him to be UFA. Why give up something for him when you can just buy him a year later? I doubt a team pulls the trigger on him.

bearsfan_51
11-18-2006, 08:42 PM
I've been saying forever no. I don't even think we'll franchise him at this point, although I hope we do.

miamichamp_305
11-18-2006, 08:59 PM
*crosses fingers* Please don't franchise him so Dolfins at least have a shot at getting him.

Smokey Joe
11-18-2006, 09:11 PM
What was the John Abraham story last year, again? Was he franchised and wanted out, or how did it work? I forget how it went, but I do remember the Jets getting a 1st round pick for him.

bearsfan_51
11-18-2006, 09:14 PM
*crosses fingers* Please don't franchise him so Dolfins at least have a shot at getting him.
How could that even work unless Zach Thomas plans on retiring? They have Channing Crowder already and Briggs won't play SLB (not to mention nobody spends big money on SLB).

Look, unless your team has a big need at MLB or WLB and you've got lots of money to spend (something similar to Peterson's 7 years 49 million deal) you aren't going to sign Briggs. There's a reason why Chicago is likely letting him go.

Smokey Joe
11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
I can easily see Briggs playing for New Orleans next year.

draftguru151
11-18-2006, 09:21 PM
How could that even work unless Zach Thomas plans on retiring? They have Channing Crowder already and Briggs won't play SLB (not to mention nobody spends big money on SLB).

Look, unless your team has a big need at MLB or WLB and you've got lots of money to spend (something similar to Peterson's 7 years 49 million deal) you aren't going to sign Briggs. There's a reason why Chicago is likely letting him go.

Yea we don't need him.

Smokey Joe
11-18-2006, 11:43 PM
possible trade partners for briggs...

Cardinals
Panthers
Texans
Saints

Tubby
11-19-2006, 01:06 AM
not from the hawks, but definately from most teams

Splat
11-19-2006, 08:19 AM
No more then a 2nd round pick IMO.

11-19-2006, 08:24 AM

Cardinals
Panthers
Texans
Saints

I think we might give our 2nd for him but I think he'll just hit FA.

Smokey Joe
11-19-2006, 09:15 AM

Cardinals
Panthers
Texans
Saints

I think we might give our 2nd for him but I think he'll just hit FA.
well ofcourse a 2nd from the cards. I am thinking late 1st round picks, early second.

DMWSackMachine
11-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Well, I think it's highly unlikely that you will get anything for him, just because teams know that he will eventually be on the market anyway, but I would value him at a high 2nd at most. Still, if a team can turn Deion freakin' Branch into a 1st rounder, than who knows? Also, I just don't think Briggs is a "cornerstone" type player. Obviously, I'm not the best qualified to decide that, but he seems more like a Scottie Pippen type, who excels best in the sidekicks role than a real focal point for a defense. He would be great in Az, Tampa, NO or Philly, though. I just hope he doesn't come to the East.

Shiver
11-20-2006, 02:15 AM
I think he'd be a great fit, to be the final piece for the Texans defense, next to DeMeco Ryans. They need a OLB and FS, and they can be an elite unit.

portermvp84
11-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, i would do it. He would be an awesome upgrade to the Raiders linbacking core.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-20-2006, 03:13 PM
What if: Briggs+First rounder=Higher first rounder? Thoughts? Maybe?

derza222
11-20-2006, 05:06 PM
What was the John Abraham story last year, again? Was he franchised and wanted out, or how did it work? I forget how it went, but I do remember the Jets getting a 1st round pick for him.

He got franchised, he wanted a big contract (long term) which we didn't want to give him due to injury concerns and eventually it got to the point where we didn't really want him anymore either. We would have kept him if we couldn't find a trade, but we were going to probably pull the trigger on anything better than a mid-second rounder. I was surprised we got as much as you did to be honest, but very happy nevertheless.

roidrunner
02-26-2007, 08:11 AM
i could see it happening that a first would be given out for him. he is already asking for a trade and the bears are just not listening to him. so a first is not out of the question

Bearsfan123
02-26-2007, 08:20 AM
What if: Briggs+First rounder=Higher first rounder? Thoughts? Maybe?

Ohhhh Laron Landry here we come!

roidrunner
02-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Ohhhh Laron Landry here we come!

i sure hope not, cause i am a packers fan, and do not wanna deal with him for the next, god knows how many years.

jetsfan3
02-26-2007, 10:41 AM
How is Briggs as a 3-4 ILB or 3-4 OLB?

TitleTown088
02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Who would even give up a first for him though? I'd think he could get a high second however.

dabears10
02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
A first rounder would be excellent. It would make me happy!

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 01:56 PM
first rounder, no way.

NYmoney
02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
first rounder, no way.

are you out of your mind? of course you could.

HawkeyeFan
02-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Yea you could. He's a young linebacker who is mountains above the skill level of any linebacker coming in.

Iamcanadian
02-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Most teams outside of the top 10 drafting teams, would be very happy to give their 1st rounder for Briggs. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Briggs is a star now, a 1st round pick won't reach his full potential for 3 years if he isn't a flop. So they get a star for 2 years while the Bears would have to wait for the 1st rounder to develope if he does.
Only a rebuilding team would trade Briggs unless he becomes a real team distraction, your creating a huge hole on your defense which is the strength of your team. a move like that can take you out of the playoffs for 2 years while the 1st rounder developes.

princefielder28
02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Yes b/c there's no player that plays LB in this draft that will be as good as him

remix 6
02-26-2007, 02:23 PM
How is Briggs as a 3-4 ILB or 3-4 OLB?

he said he doesnt like it..thats why Patriots arent all over this thread.

GB12
02-26-2007, 03:18 PM
No, you'd be lucky for a second.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 03:22 PM
No, you'd be lucky for a second.

:shock:

Really? I would've understood if you said we'd be lucky if we got a 1st but Briggs is without question worth a 2nd rounder, no doubt. He's an elite OLB in this league, and he's still young.

jetsfan3
02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
he said he doesnt like it..thats why Patriots arent all over this thread.

Damn, because I would love to trade our #39 pick for Briggs, that is, if he was a great fit in a 3-4.

Shiver
02-27-2007, 03:29 AM
If Deion Branch can lock up a low 1st round pick, Lance Briggs definitely could.

SFbear
02-27-2007, 12:55 PM
How high would the bears be able to move up with Briggs and their first? How about if either Thomas Jones or Ogunleye are put into the mix since it is possible we may be moving either of them.

DH4MVP23
03-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Briggs is an all pro and just about to enter in his prime. Branch is not even a great wide out and the Pats got a 1st rounder for him. Briggs would bring back alot more than a low first.

TNewFan41
03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Briggs is an all pro and just about to enter in his prime. Branch is not even a great wide out and the Pats got a 1st rounder for him. Briggs would bring back alot more than a low first.

This isn't Madden.

KBear
03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Talent wise, the Bears could ask for a first rounder in return, but the problem is that any team that trades for him still would have to sign him and have the cap space (which is not a big of an issue as it used to be) but they also would have to believe that they would not win a bidding war for him next year. Otherwise, why give up a first rounder, when they dont have to give up any assets a year from now.

Smokey Joe
03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
:shock:

Really? I would've understood if you said we'd be lucky if we got a 1st but Briggs is without question worth a 2nd rounder, no doubt. He's an elite OLB in this league, and he's still young.

The Puker fans just dislike him because of that pick 6 he pulled on Farve a couple years ago...

GB12
03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
The Puker fans just dislike him because of that pick 6 he pulled on Farve a couple years ago...

I posted this before, but it must have been deleted when we went back in time.

I didn't mean you'd be lucky for a second, but rather that is what I expect you would get for him. I know that's what I wrote, but not what I meant.

adschofield
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm almost positive that you can't trade a franchise player.

Komp
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Hmm...I'd love to see him in Silver and Black, but we are prolly set for the future at LB with Howard and Morrison and possibly Bing coming in this year.

drmoyer421
03-02-2007, 05:31 AM
I have been saying this with Bills fans since free agency started. Most Bills fans think we are going to go after a LB this year with our first round pick.

Well Levy was the commentator with the Bears before he took over at GM and was one of the first to say that Briggs would be a star, before he was. Jauron has also spoke really highly about him and loved coaching him.

Briggs has also said he enjoyed playing for Jauron.

There has also been rumors saying that they are shopping Takeo Spikes here in Buffalo. I have a feeling that they may be putting themselves in contention to make a trade for him.

The Bills plan on moving Crowell into the MLB spot, so they have two OLB spots to fill if Spikes is gone. Any LB they will draft this year have only expectations of being Lance Briggs.. so why not just "draft" Briggs with your first?