PDA

View Full Version : jamaal charles 100m result

foozball
05-19-2007, 02:05 PM
just saw his 100m sprint. he took 2nd place in the big 12 championship with a time of 10.32 seconds. he looked ENORMOUS compared to all the other sprinters. look for him to have a big year with the added bulk and finally being the #1 RB on the depth chart.

remix 6
05-19-2007, 02:09 PM
damn..thats fast.

grats to him and GL this season

doesnt he also do the high hurdles?

YAYareaRB
05-19-2007, 02:15 PM
10.3? Woooow! That's HEAT!

foozball
05-19-2007, 02:18 PM
damn..thats fast.

grats to him and GL this season

doesnt he also do the high hurdles?

he has in the past, but i think he's limiting his track duties to focus on football.

he's well over the 190lbs he played at last year. he's at least 200-205lbs right now, and that's during track season. i wanna see him at the combine, just to see what he'd run in the 40yd. reported that he's been in the 4.2's in the past.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Charles is definitely on the watch list. If he can really go all for football and pack on the pounds, a strong year will likely give him a late 1st-early 2nd round grade.

draftguru151
05-19-2007, 03:58 PM
In the fastest college player thread people mentioned him running a 10.1 and 10.2. So was that just talk or did the size slow him down some?

remix 6
05-19-2007, 04:14 PM
In the fastest college player thread people mentioned him running a 10.1 and 10.2. So was that just talk or did the size slow him down some?

10.1, 10.2, 10.3 isnt a huge difference. all depends on weather(wind? rain?)..what track you run on..bad day/good day?

its not the 10.2 talk was very off.

Xavier Carter ran 10.09 or something in 100

fenikz
05-19-2007, 04:15 PM
10-15 pounds might cost him .2 seconds but its more than likely those were his best times and he runs a 10.3-10.4 on average

America
05-19-2007, 04:27 PM
the 10.12 was his best time in the 100m. After football season though, he usually loses a little of that bulk that weighs him down. This year though, he packed on more weight. Yeah, and just the reaction time can account for running a mid 10.3 when you can do a 10.2 or better. Gettin off the blocks fast is everything in those championships cause you know everyone there can run really fast once they get going.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-19-2007, 06:44 PM
It's an excellent time for a collegiate athlete. Xavier Carter is a world class sprinter and top 5 in the world in the 200 meters, and granted he has run a 10.09 on a fast track by the way, but as a professional his average 100 time in pro events in 10.37 and he's a pro, so this is an extremely impressive time, especially considering how much bigger Charles is than the rest of the crowd.

foozball
05-19-2007, 07:47 PM
yea im really excited to watch him play next year. he should have a very productive year now that he's added some bulk for the first time.

he really dwarfed the competition with his size. he was GINORMOUS compared to everybody else! i wouldnt be surprised if he played around 210-215lbs when football season gets going, cuz as much bulk as he's added already, he still has to keep his weight on point for track, but that's over with now (not saying he doesn't have to watch his weight for football, but you get what i'm saying). not to mention 10.32 at around 200 poundish is very impressive, since the guy who won (marcus pugh) looked around 170lbs. expect him to explode this upcoming year.

also, he ran a 10.34 in the semifinal heat, so he's pretty consistent in the 10.3 range

Iamcanadian
05-20-2007, 09:14 AM
He'll be watched closely but everybody knew he was fast. The question is 1) How tough is he, 2) Can he run up the middle and be effective, 3) How much juke does he have, 4) what is his vision like, and 5) how good are his hands in pass receiving. He'll have to answer all those questions before he sees round 1. Last year all he seemed to have was speed but guys can make huge jumps in a year where they get to carry the ball a lot more.

Bostonsportlova
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Im predicting Charles has a very good season goes into the draft and has an increadible workout and moves up to top 10 in 2008 draft

Modano
05-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I've been very high on him since his sophomore season. He's a special guy, this year he has the chance to really put up a show, Texas will rely a lot on him.

foozball
05-20-2007, 02:15 PM
He'll be watched closely but everybody knew he was fast. The question is 1) How tough is he, 2) Can he run up the middle and be effective, 3) How much juke does he have, 4) what is his vision like, and 5) how good are his hands in pass receiving. He'll have to answer all those questions before he sees round 1. Last year all he seemed to have was speed but guys can make huge jumps in a year where they get to carry the ball a lot more.

he really doesnt have alot of shiftiness and he doesnt juke or cut or dance around in the backfield like a RB his size usually does, which might have been to his detriment due to his lack of strength. the bulk that he's added will be put to good use. he has solid hands in the passing game. his vision is adequate and he gets to the outside with ease and is a terror in the open field. should see alot more of him going up the middle this season. he used to rely on getting to the outside or running through open holes, but now he doesnt have to rely on the OL creating huge holes for him when he can just power through smaller openings with his speed and added bulk/strength

SeanTaylorRIP
05-20-2007, 02:18 PM
If he gains some more weight, he reminds me of Clinton Portis.

jsagan77
05-20-2007, 03:20 PM
If he gains some more weight, he reminds me of Clinton Portis.

I think he'll be better, this guy is truly special..IMO

SeanTaylorRIP
05-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I think he'll be better, this guy is truly special..IMO

Dang if Charles is gonna be better he, better go top 5 then.

remix 6
05-20-2007, 04:24 PM
since were talking about track..Xavier Carter is running the 200M right about now!

ESPN Track N Field

etk
05-20-2007, 06:18 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IlEsmN4vluA

This guy can hit too. He misses the tackle on Hawk, gets up, chases him down again(showing his speed) and smacks him. That's a football player.

remix 6
05-20-2007, 06:25 PM

This guy can hit too. He misses the tackle on Hawk, gets up, chases him down again(showing his speed) and smacks him. That's a football player.

most guys would of just gotten up and pretended to chase the play

Jamaal was mad :)

HoopsDemon12
05-21-2007, 01:39 AM

most guys would of just gotten up and pretended to chase the play

Jamaal was mad :)

ya wow you could tell he wasnt about to be made a fool of... this guy is dam fast!!! i like him as a first round pick next year with a productive year, because he is gonna be lights out at the combine regardless(and look what that alone did for chris henry)

CM4
05-21-2007, 02:34 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fbIa2-WZz3g

go to end of this video, Charles gets smoked in 60....and was getting smoked in 40 by good margin, he is no 4.2 guy and thats out of blocks...yes he may of had bad start or whatever but he is no 4.2 guy. . .

Gchu83
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Jamaal is going to have a big year for UT IMO. He has always had first-class speed and hopefully his added bulk will help him power through the holes. My biggest concern is Greg Davis' running scheme however, he had Charles and Young running more east-west than up the field last season.

BUTerriers
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM

go to end of this video, Charles gets smoked in 60....and was getting smoked in 40 by good margin, he is no 4.2 guy and thats out of blocks...yes he may of had bad start or whatever but he is no 4.2 guy. . .

He's getting "smoked" by guys with Olympics type speed, Ted Ginn Jr. would have gotten smoked as well running against those guys. I don't know what place he came in, but he kept up with them, he definitely has world class speed. If he runs a 4.2 at 200-205, he should be a 1st rounder.

HoopsDemon12
05-21-2007, 12:58 PM

do you have any idea how fast they are going? that is intence fast and that doesnt change my mind it actually just reinforces how fast i think he is.. those guys would blaze a forty but never play a down.. he will blaze the forty and run for 1200 yards in the L

SeanTaylorRIP
05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Although he is over the hill and just got back from injury I watched Maurice Green run a 10.84 100 yesterday, so put that in perspective.

Xonraider
05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
I remember him laying the wood on AJ Hawk.

foozball
05-21-2007, 09:44 PM
he wont run a 4.2...not at his current weight at least. im guessing a 4.35 or somewhere in that area.

Iamcanadian
05-22-2007, 03:07 AM
he really doesnt have alot of shiftiness and he doesnt juke or cut or dance around in the backfield like a RB his size usually does, which might have been to his detriment due to his lack of strength. the bulk that he's added will be put to good use. he has solid hands in the passing game. his vision is adequate and he gets to the outside with ease and is a terror in the open field. should see alot more of him going up the middle this season. he used to rely on getting to the outside or running through open holes, but now he doesnt have to rely on the OL creating huge holes for him when he can just power through smaller openings with his speed and added bulk/strength

I still want to see a lot more of him as a feature RB before I go all ga ga. I know he's got the speed but I didn't see him dominate last year not even close. However, it's another year and he should be Texas's feature back so we'll get to see a lot more of him, then we'll be able to ascertain his talent level.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-22-2007, 03:11 AM
For a guy with that much speed, I can't recall ever seeing him pull away from the defense all that often. He's obviously very quick with great acceleration, but maybe he reaches his second gear too quickly, because I don't even think I've seen him get in some space and just put the pedal to the metal (like, say, we saw McFadden do a lot last year).

foozball
05-22-2007, 11:53 AM
For a guy with that much speed, I can't recall ever seeing him pull away from the defense all that often. He's obviously very quick with great acceleration, but maybe he reaches his second gear too quickly, because I don't even think I've seen him get in some space and just put the pedal to the metal (like, say, we saw McFadden do a lot last year).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bgOdDkjUo1s

6:15 into the video is a good one

Paranoidmoonduck
05-22-2007, 01:40 PM
I guess, but he started that run about 5-10 yards ahead of the nearest defender and ended it the same way. For a highlight video that extensive, which seemed to include every half-way decent run the guy has had to date, you seem to think a guy with that sort of speed would have more runs that really showed it off.

draftguru151
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
I guess, but he started that run about 5-10 yards ahead of the nearest defender and ended it the same way. For a highlight video that extensive, which seemed to include every half-way decent run the guy has had to date, you seem to think a guy with that sort of speed would have more runs that really showed it off.

Like a CJ Spiller highlight reel? (sorry just watched some of his stuff, so sick)

Clayton89
05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

huh? it was a zone run inside the tackles how was he 5-10 yards away from a defender plus he actually broek a tackle and then ran away form the defense not sure which run your talking about

Paranoidmoonduck
05-22-2007, 02:23 PM
huh? it was a zone run inside the tackles how was he 5-10 yards away from a defender plus he actually broek a tackle and then ran away form the defense not sure which run your talking about

In that particular run, once he broke away from the linebackers he was about 5-10 yards away from the strongside cornerback. By the time he reached the endzone, he was the exact some distance away.

This is a sprinter we're talking about, and I've never seen him get in space and just create space between himself and every other defender. I'm not saying he can't, but I've yet to see him do it. For a guy with such great supposed speed, does any else find that interesting.

You look at people like McFadden, Slaton, or Spiller (thanks for reminding me Guru), they can hit the sideline and beat even the good angles taken by defenders. In that highlight video Charles was getting caught from behind by a linebacker who blitzed from the other side of the field.

Ho0k Em'
05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
In that particular run, once he broke away from the linebackers he was about 5-10 yards away from the strongside cornerback. By the time he reached the endzone, he was the exact some distance away.

This is a sprinter we're talking about, and I've never seen him get in space and just create space between himself and every other defender. I'm not saying he can't, but I've yet to see him do it. For a guy with such great supposed speed, does any else find that interesting.

You look at people like McFadden, Slaton, or Spiller (thanks for reminding me Guru), they can hit the sideline and beat even the good angles taken by defenders. In that highlight video Charles was getting caught from behind by a linebacker who blitzed from the other side of the field.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KXT9udOTu20

I don't know if this is what was posted, but watch at 2:40

YAYareaRB
05-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Colt McCoy
Limas Sweed
Jamaal Charles

Wow.. Force to be reckoned with. #1 Big XII anyone?

VY10
05-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Jamaal should have been the definite starter this year but Selvin Young had seniority. I'd say chances are he stays his senior year considering I think the only player to leave early on Mack Brown at Texas was Vince Young. He is set to have an amazing season and is probably the best back in the Big XII.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-22-2007, 08:55 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KXT9udOTu20

I don't know if this is what was posted, but watch at 2:40

That was the one that was posted, and if you look, the cornerbacks, which are running at angles, are keeping up with him fairly well. I just don't see that second gear from him that blows me away, which surprises me considering his track background.

Gchu83
05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
That was the one that was posted, and if you look, the cornerbacks, which are running at angles, are keeping up with him fairly well. I just don't see that second gear from him that blows me away, which surprises me considering his track background.

Charles actually tweaked his ankle during that run, you can see him looking down at it right before the video ends. It didn't keep him out of the game but it kinda slowed down his freshman season.

Jamaal's biggest opponent will be the running scheme UT has picked up. Almost playing exclusively in the shotgun, Charles won't get that 3-4 steps to get his speed going before going through the holes. Also, the zone read and counter play (out of shotgun) aren't the best plays for RB IMO.

V. Young
05-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Is that video on youtube?

Xonraider
05-23-2007, 10:57 PM

He still has an incredible acceleration, and as some poster above me said, he tweaked his ankle on the play. It seemed to have bothered him for some time.

LonghornsLegend
05-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I disagree with everyone who thinks charles will leave after this year though, i see him playing 2 more years due to his size...but on the sprint note, his fastest has been a 10.1, and im surprised he didnt win first, but ive been hearing all out of austin how he took the reggie bush offseason approach, focused on gaining weight and strength, not so much speed...he will need it, young and taylor are gone, who knows if melton will contribute that much at RB, seems when he gets a chance he doesnt make the most out of it...

either way i wouldnt be surprised to see a 70/30 load split at RB, but its charles job right now, and he should have a great year, i just dont see it similiar to benson/williams as far as # of carries

Gchu83
05-25-2007, 12:24 AM
who knows if melton will contribute that much at RB, seems when he gets a chance he doesnt make the most out of it...

either way i wouldnt be surprised to see a 70/30 load split at RB, but its charles job right now, and he should have a great year, i just dont see it similiar to benson/williams as far as # of carries

Melton made the move to DE this summer and won't play RB anymore. This leaves Vondrell McGee and Chris Ogbannaya as the primary backups.

VY10
05-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I miss Henry Melton in the backfield. he was a bruiser but is better suited for the DE position.