PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon QB

foozball
05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
His stock took a big dip in the 2nd half of last season, but he's got alot of tools to work with. He's like a poor man's VY without the intangibles. he has good size at 6'4 200lbs (could stand to bulk up), good speed at 4.5 and his throwing mechanics are pretty good (at least better than VY). he's still relatively raw and inexperienced due to splitting time between baseball and football in highschool (he was a top ranked baseball prospect) and having to sit behind kellen clemens and now having to split time with brady leaf due to his inconsistency in the 2nd half last year. the reason i made this post is because i havent seen him on any of those top prospect threads, and with a big year, he could really jump up the boards. he may have to make a position change, and at 6'4 with his speed, he could probably be a pretty good WR (he played CF in highschool), but i think he has some really good upside at QB for right now.

Philliez01
05-20-2007, 02:53 PM
He's got the potential to be a mid-round developmental prospect but judging by his horribly inconsistent play; I'm not too keen on him as of right now. He does have the measureables but his football ability can be pretty awful at times. He's a raw guy, I wouldn't be TOO shocked if he moved to WR in the NFL.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Comparable to Brad Smith

HuskerNation
05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Comparable to Brad Smith

And Xavier Lee

duckseason
05-20-2007, 03:47 PM
He's got the potential to be a mid-round developmental prospect but judging by his horribly inconsistent play; I'm not too keen on him as of right now. He does have the measureables but his football ability can be pretty awful at times. He's a raw guy, I wouldn't be TOO shocked if he moved to WR in the NFL.

I'm not gonna sit here and homer it up and pretend like Dixon is a top prospect at this point, but people were saying similar things about VY prior to his championship season at Texas. People would have laughed at the thought of him being a top 3 pick, let alone being drafted as a QB.

Bellotti has stated that Dixon has the best arm and is the best athlete he has seen in a QB at Oregon. Those of you who remember Akili Smith might think that Bellotti forgot about him. The point is that Dixon certainly has all the physical tools necessary to play in the NFL. I think his outstanding ability as a runner kinda overshadows his ability as a passer. He really does have a great arm. The thing he has struggled with is the mental part of the game. He needs to work on his decision making and general awareness. I remember when he first started seeing action at QB, a few times he would tuck it and run, find himself near the sideline behind the LOS, and he would duck out of bounds rather than throw the ball away. He doesn't do that anymore, but that's just an example. I think another factor to consider is that he will be playing under his 3rd OC in as many years this season. That's gotta be tough on a QB especially.

It'll be very interesting to see how his senior season develops, and how it all eventually translates to the draft. I think his biggest strength as a QB is his ability to create time in the pocket. He is very difficult to sack, and throws well on the run. His arm strength is also a big plus, although his accuracy does need more work. I'd be willing to bet that he ends up being drafted as a QB. Those who have watched a substantial amount of his play would be aware that he is a completely different prospect than a guy like Brad Smith. The guy to compare him to is Vince. Not saying he's on that level, but that's the mold he fits.

Mr. Stiller
05-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Bobby Reid is a better version of VY. He was great last season, seems to have better touch on his passes than VY and has 2 more seasons.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
And Xavier Lee

Yep, they look very similar.

foozball
05-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Bobby Reid is a better version of VY. He was great last season, seems to have better touch on his passes than VY and has 2 more seasons.

thats a pretty bold statement. i dont think reid has the same intangibles that VY does though.

DorianSmith
05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
He throws way to many INTS

sodar21
05-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Comparable to Brad Smith

Hes a much lesser version of Smith.

T-Rat42
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Duckseason even as a Beaver fan I agree with you. Dixon is one of the most talented and athletic players I've seen at quarterback for a long time. However as you said he lacks the mental part of the game you need to have to be a good quarterback. Some guys can develop that, some guys can't. Whether he develops that or not remains to be seen but I'm not expecting him to turn in a senior season like Vince Young did. He has to play with a new coordinator and to this point his receivers have all under achieved. He'll get drafted on the second day next year with about a 40% chance to play QB for that team.

jbeans187
05-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Comparable to Brad Smith

Brad Smith was way better.

TouchdownUSC
05-22-2007, 10:02 AM
If people are saying Pat White wont play QB i cant see how this guy will...

Mr. Stiller
05-22-2007, 10:14 AM
If people are saying Pat White wont play QB i cant see how this guy will...

Which is disappointing... If Rodriguez would actually throw the ball, Pat White has a cannon and in his 10 chances a game, he usually hits 8-9 times. He's accurate. He just ruined his pro career by playing in a run only offense.

TouchdownUSC
05-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Which is disappointing... If Rodriguez would actually throw the ball, Pat White has a cannon and in his 10 chances a game, he usually hits 8-9 times. He's accurate. He just ruined his pro career by playing in a run only offense.

Yeah, but is it because Rodriguez chooses run plays mostly or because when pass plays are chosen, White prefers to just scramble instead of hit the receiver with a pass? i know WV is run dominated though

jbeans187
05-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, but is it because Rodriguez chooses run plays mostly or because when pass plays are chosen, White prefers to just scramble instead of hit the receiver with a pass? i know WV is run dominated though

If you watch, most of the time Pat White runs, the play is designed that way.

Mr. Stiller
05-22-2007, 03:06 PM

Honestly? Do you think that's because Pat White ever has time to pass? I mean, his run game is good, but his OL can't pass block.. and his best WR went UDFA... his next best.. Raynaud, is pre-season at 5th/6th round in my rankings.

Perhaps if Rich evened the play calling out to say.. 60-40 Run-Pass White would show he's more than capable.

Wouldn't hurt for Rodriguez to actually bring in a top flight WR talent either. I mean, when all your WR's run in the 4.6's and are better known for their run blocking, it's not like their threats.

draftguru151
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Yea, I don't know what Pat White you were watching, but I've never been impressed with him as a passer, and have never seen this cannon you speak of.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
First off, White's two best receivers: Steve Slaton (who was responsible for most of the big passing plays) and Brandon Myles were both 4.3 playmakers. So he wasn't hurting for speedy receivers.

Second, White was about as impressive a passer last year as Reggie Ball was. He has a good arm, but his motion is awkward and his throws just kinda hang up there.

He's a good enough runner to change positions, but unless he makes a huge stride forward this year he isn't a good enough passer to make it as a QB in the NFL.

jbeans187
05-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Yea, I don't know what Pat White you were watching, but I've never been impressed with him as a passer, and have never seen this cannon you speak of.

He has a cannon, just not very good accuracy

TouchdownUSC
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
im sure pat white knows that he needs to showcase his passing more to get into the nfl as a qb. i hope he doesnt jepordize his career by not trying to pass more next year. if he puts up good passing numbers and still scrambles he could be very special in the NFL.

DorianSmith
05-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Hes not very good if u ask me both of the Ducks QB's suck but im a beaver fan so i dont like the ducks period