PDA

View Full Version : QB Roughing Penalty

Mr. Stiller
05-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Any word on how the league is going to address it next season?

I'm watching the NFLN Replay of the saints game and the Aaron Smith "Roughing" Penalty on Drew Brees.

Are we moving to having the QB's wear flags? I just want to know if we should just upgrade the offense and forget about trying to build a pass rush. Because frankly, that really screwed up a lot of games last year.

I know the bengals would've been in the playoffs had it not been for the Joke of a QB Roughing Penalty against Justin Smith for Gradkowski.

And The call against Aaron Smith for being pushed in the back and pulling Brees' sock down. I mean, honestly.

Then I sit and wonder, where were those refs in the atlanta game when Ben was massacred with a late hit, helmet to helmet, and another guy leading with his helmet.

princefielder28
05-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I think all Packer fans remember the Cullen Jenkins "roughing" on Matt Hasselbeck on Monday Night Football

Don Vito
05-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I remeber that, it was bs. This was too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=d9KmXAmMTjw.

Moses
05-20-2007, 05:26 PM
It's hard to say what they'll do. Obviously there were a lot of bad calls, but they do want to protect QBs. I think it'll end up being better than last year, but I would be surprised if there weren't still a good amount of phantom calls.

Mr. Stiller
05-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I think all Packer fans remember the Cullen Jenkins "roughing" on Matt Hasselbeck on Monday Night Football

I think there was 2 problems about it.

1) They were inconsistent. There was really gruesome hits that they let go, then there were plays (Like the 2 i mentioned) that were absolute jokes and were called. I believe Gradkowski still had the ball when he was tackled.

2) They were overprotective. I'm not to see anyone get hurt, but they need to let the guys play.

Mr. Stiller
05-20-2007, 05:32 PM
I remeber that, it was bs. This was too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=d9KmXAmMTjw.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QfS9KQsExgs ~ The gradkowski "Sack".

I wish I could find a picture of the Brees Roughing.

Hines
05-20-2007, 05:59 PM

wow taht was bs

fenikz
05-20-2007, 06:06 PM
it wasn't the fact that he still had the ball it was the fact that he was driven into the ground(still ***)

i agree that the NFL needs to just let players play

Hines
05-20-2007, 06:10 PM
it wasn't the fact that he still had the ball it was the fact that he was driven into the ground(still ***)

i agree that the NFL needs to just let players play

on sundays they should just wear skirts cuz every single thing they do is illegal
they should stop hittin in all begin with

XxXdragonXxX
05-20-2007, 06:17 PM

That was a terrible call.

But they are VERY inconsistent. I'm sure it's a problem for all QBs, but Hasselbeck was hit several times last season way late or rough and they didn't call it. They have just as many terrible non-calls as they do terrible calls. Hell, a few years ago a Ravens D-lineman was choking Hasselbeck, with 2 referees pulling him off and they didn't call anything.

Mr. Stiller
05-20-2007, 06:21 PM

But they are VERY inconsistent. I'm sure it's a problem for all QBs, but Hasselbeck was hit several times last season way late or rough and they didn't call it. They have just as many terrible non-calls as they do terrible calls. Hell, a few years ago a Ravens D-lineman was choking Hasselbeck, with 2 referees pulling him off and they didn't call anything.

I still point out that big hit in atlanta that put Ben out. 2 guys lead in with their helmets (1, helmet to helmet, 2 leading in with helmet) and the other guy dove low.. that was 50,000 the impact of that aaron smith roughing.

Hines
05-20-2007, 06:24 PM
I still point out that big hit in atlanta that put Ben out. 2 guys lead in with their helmets (1, helmet to helmet, 2 leading in with helmet) and the other guy dove low.. that was 50,000 the impact of that aaron smith roughing.

ya i was mad they didnt call it
he was finally turnin the corner again and then bam hes out of the groove again

etk
05-20-2007, 06:26 PM
No
Fun
League

Fun=hitting the QB

Bengals1690
05-20-2007, 06:29 PM
they need to fix it. i still have the Tampa Bay game fresh in my mind

Mr. Stiller
05-20-2007, 06:30 PM

I'm normally not one to agree with a conference rival, but that was a ******** call. I watched that game and was like.. this season is ruined for the bengals.

etk
05-20-2007, 06:40 PM

That game cost us the #3 pick. That could've meant less compensation in a trade-up for CJ and a done deal

ks_perfection
05-20-2007, 06:40 PM

That was clearly a penalty. The guy tried to knock manning over with his shoulders after Manning through the ball. The fact taht he was so awful at it and barely hit him doesn't really matter.

Bengals1690
05-20-2007, 06:42 PM
That game cost us the #3 pick. That could've meant less compensation in a trade-up for CJ and a done deal

more importantly, it cost the bengals a playoff spot.

ks_perfection
05-20-2007, 06:43 PM
more importantly, it cost the bengals a playoff spot.

Funny, I thought your holder was responsible for that.

Bengals1690
05-20-2007, 06:46 PM

nono, if anything it was our long snapper. BUt if we would have won the Tampa Bay game like we should have, we would have been in the playoffs anyway

etk
05-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Michael Clayton's juggling catch was just as instrumental in keeping the Bengals out of the playoffs :)

TheChampIsHere
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Im not saying we should be letting defenders get cheap shots in on the QB, but yeah they just need to calm down with all of it cuz its gotten to the point you cant even touch the QB. Its a severe penalty and they shouldnt be throwing the flag unless it was a clear cheap shot.

Sportsfan486
05-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Im not saying we should be letting defenders get cheap shots in on the QB, but yeah they just need to calm down with all of it cuz its gotten to the point you cant even touch the QB. Its a severe penalty and they shouldnt be throwing the flag unless it was a clear cheap shot.

Yeah, it's insane right now. It's like Peyton on that youtube play.. there's no way he wanted a flag on that, the guy's a competitor and he didn't even hit the ground.

Why so much protection for one position? It's like Kiwi (it was Kiwi, right?) trying to sack VY but letting go once he thought he heard a whistle cuz he didn't want to get flagged.

niel89
05-20-2007, 10:42 PM

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20031123/450hawks24_denied.jpg

sweetness34
05-20-2007, 11:52 PM
****, the worst I saw was Urlacher's "roughing the passer" on Brad Johnson in what Week 13. The Official Ruling: "He flexed his arms on the QB."

WTF? Urlacher pushed Johnson down after he got rid of the ball. I about died laughing when I heard the call. Laughter mixed in with a bunch of cursing.

XxXdragonXxX
05-21-2007, 12:31 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20031123/450hawks24_denied.jpg

Yup, that was the play. A few seconds after that picture was taken, #90 was choking Hass with his forearm....

That was the game that the Ravens got 4 timeouts in the 2nd half, giving them enough time to drive down and score to take the game to OT.

I'll always remember that game for those 2 huge screwups, and the Anthony Wright to Marcus Robinson combination that the Seahawks couldn't stop.

PalmerToCJ
05-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I just saw this thread and wanted to explain how bitter I am over that Tampa game. Yes, the game shouldn't have been that close and yes our defense could have still stopped them afterwards but the bottom line is Justin Smith should've won us that game with the sack and put us in the playoffs. The bad snap and fumbles of the Denver game and missed FG vs. Pitt would be irrelavent had they made the right call.

I was not a very happy person after that went down.

P-L
05-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I think at very least, they should add a 5 yard penalty for slightly minor hits on the QB that are still over the line. There are some borderline/questionable calls that I think could be called but not deserving of a 15 yard penalty.

awfullyquiet
05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
****, the worst I saw was Urlacher's "roughing the passer" on Brad Johnson in what Week 13. The Official Ruling: "He flexed his arms on the QB."

WTF? Urlacher pushed Johnson down after he got rid of the ball. I about died laughing when I heard the call. Laughter mixed in with a bunch of cursing.

haha, flexing of the arms.

really though. i'm sure the nfl-o's are working to get better consistancy with how they call penalties, but, right now, it's pretty much out of hand.

between that and the pass interference penalties. those are my two big issues.