PDA

View Full Version : League MVP Reevaluated

bigbluedefense
11-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Who do you think it is? I think Ladanian Tomlinson is clearly the number 1 candidate. Peyton is always a candidate, but LT has been unreal this year. He has what, 24 TDs on the season already??? Thats insane. He can do everything. The ultimate weapon.

If Romo plays like this all season, he deserves candidacy because that Dallas team doesn't make the playoffs with Bledsoe.

I still think Drew Brees is a candidate.

Not many standout names. The NFL is such a crapshoot the past 2 years.

NOTE: I did not add Romo to the list for 2 reasons.

1. He's still unproven
2. It would ruin the poll for obvious reasons.

Ravens1991
11-20-2006, 09:17 AM
My order

Tomlinson
Manning
Brees
Johnson

MaxV
11-20-2006, 09:40 AM
I voted for Peyton for homer reasons, but I agree that LT is the favorite right now.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-20-2006, 09:42 AM
watching LT do what he's doing makes this an easy decision for me

Tubby
11-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Theres a difference between most valuable player and offensive player of the year, which people dont realize. Most valuable player means that that person is more essential to their team than any other player. Offensive player of the year is just the best offensive player. Sure, LDT has better stats, but without Manning, the colts go 0-16 with Jim Sorgi at QB. Without LDT, the Chargers can still fall back on Michael Turner, who has excelled in the backup RB role. Thats why I say Manning.

11-20-2006, 09:52 AM
I voted for LT, but i think Julius Peppers should get some serious consideration.

Peppers already has 12 (i think) sacks and has been unstoppable. He has single-handedly taken over games and proven he is one of the the top 3 players in the league. However, the MVP award is kind of like the heisman, nearly impossible for defensive players to win. Maybe if the Panthers let him line up at TE or something and let him get some TDs.

MaxV
11-20-2006, 09:57 AM
I agree that Manning is MUCH more valuable to the Colts then LT is to the Chargers(partially because Turner is pretty good also), but the way LT's playing right now, he's head and shoulders above everyone else.

Splat
11-20-2006, 09:59 AM
LT it is not even close and I'am a Chiefs fan.

bigbluedefense
11-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Theres a difference between most valuable player and offensive player of the year, which people dont realize. Most valuable player means that that person is more essential to their team than any other player. Offensive player of the year is just the best offensive player. Sure, LDT has better stats, but without Manning, the colts go 0-16 with Jim Sorgi at QB. Without LDT, the Chargers can still fall back on Michael Turner, who has excelled in the backup RB role. Thats why I say Manning.

Thats not an entirely accurate approach to take. The same can be said of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Donovann McNabb, and even Jake Dellhomme. By that implication all are more valuable than LT. Its also unfair to do that type of evaluation because losing a starting qb is always a bigger blow to a team compared to losing a starting RB, its just the nature of the game. Losing Brad Johnson is a bigger impact than losing LT. Does that make Brad Johnson a more viable MVP candidate? Clearly not.

moc182
11-20-2006, 10:25 AM
It's a two horse race, and I'd give Manning the slightest of edges over LT.

njx9
11-20-2006, 12:03 PM
it's a tough one this year. manning's stats may be down, but he is almost certainly the only reason the colts are the best team in the AFC. he's pulled them out of games they had no business winning and, for the most part, made every single play he needed to make to win games. i'm not sure this team is 9-1 with most other starting quarterbacks in the league, let alone jim sorgi.

on the other hand, tomlinson may be having one of the best single seasons ever by a running back. he has been nothing short of incredible. the only drawback i see here is how well turner's performed when given the chance. is it tomlinson, or is it the team (i'm *not* saying LT's talentless or anything else ridiculous)?

i'f i'm giving the award, today, it's probably tomlinson by a whisker.

Moses
11-20-2006, 12:07 PM
If Tomlinson doesn't win the MVP, what else would he have to do to win it? He's having one of the best seasons of all-time for a runningback.

Geo
11-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Let's give some love to other candidates, especially LJ.

The losses he's suffered on his OL including a first-ballot Hall of Fame LT right before preseason, his offensive coordinator, his Pro Bowl-level quarterback for half the season, and so on and so on - and he's still beastly.

He's carrying a workload that could endanger his career (I fear) because the Chiefs have no one else, and he's keeping them in the playoff race.

thule
11-20-2006, 12:22 PM
If we are throwing out names...I would throw out Carson Palmer and Steve Smith....likely 4 and 5 in the voting...but Carson has really improved the second part of this year. Steve Smith is well Steve Smith....

LT
Peyton
Peppers
Carson
Smith

duckseason
11-20-2006, 12:25 PM

No. You're wrong. It's not called "The most valuable player to his team award".
Think of Tomlinson and Peyton as diamonds. Who's shining brighter right now?
And the players' respective backups should have nothing to do with the equation.
Also, to say that the Colts are a no-win team without Peyton is just ridiculous.

val‧u‧a‧ble  /ˈvælyuəbəl, -yəbəl/ Pronunciation
–adjective
1. having considerable monetary worth; costing or bringing a high price: a valuable painting; a valuable crop.
2. having qualities worthy of respect, admiration, or esteem: a valuable friend.
3. of considerable use, service, or importance: valuable information.
–noun
4. Usually, valuables. articles of considerable value, as of personal property, esp. those of relatively small size

PalmerToCJ
11-20-2006, 12:33 PM
1. LT

2. Everyone else. Not close at all. How can a RB have more TD's than a QB does passing TD's and not get the (big) advantage?

portermvp84
11-20-2006, 01:33 PM
It should be LT, but i could see Manning getting it for the third straight year.

Geo
11-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Shaun Alexander won last year.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-20-2006, 01:43 PM
LT there is no second or third he's 1,2, and 3.

TitleTown088
11-20-2006, 02:03 PM
LT there is no second or third he's 1,2, and 3.
i agree he's sooo good.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Has 23 TD's currently 10 games in, Alexander has the record of 28, LT will easily break that and rush for around 1600-1800 yards.

Brodeur
11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I voted for LT, but i think Julius Peppers should get some serious consideration.

Peppers already has 12 (i think) sacks and has been unstoppable. He has single-handedly taken over games and proven he is one of the the top 3 players in the league. However, the MVP award is kind of like the heisman, nearly impossible for defensive players to win. Maybe if the Panthers let him line up at TE or something and let him get some TDs.

If Peppers deserves consideration, so does Jason Taylor(if they finish 8-8 or similar to that).

I voted for LT, although it's not decided really between him and Peyton.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I dont' think you can be an MVP especially a defensive player if your team doesn't make the playoffs and content for the title.

PalmerToCJ
11-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I dont' think you can be an MVP especially a defensive player if your team doesn't make the playoffs and content for the title.

Agreed. They have an accomplishment to honor good players that aren't quite MVP status... the pro-bowl. That's like me saying Palmer deserves consideration, yes he's having a good year but he's not on LT and Mannings level so why even mention him.

Philliez01
11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
It's obvious that Manning is the Colts franchise, but as good as Turner has been, would he be anywhere near Tomlinson right now? See that TD Tomlinson caught, do you think Turner could do that? How about all of those carries, he's got what you want in an MVP. In fact, if SA won the award last year with those stats, Tomlinson definitely deserves it.

My Top 10:

1)-Tomlinson
2)-Manning
3)-Johnson
4)-Peppers
5)-Brees
6)-Smith
7)-Palmer
8)-Taylor
9)-Parker
10)-Rivers

bigbluedefense
11-20-2006, 02:51 PM
A defensive player must perform feats that were once considered unimagineable to be considered a league MVP. Only 2 defensive players in NFL history won that award, Alan Page and Lawrence Taylor. They did things that no one imagined possible at the time, and completely revolutionized the game. Peppers is not in the same sentence, paragraph, page, book, or even library with those 2. So no, Peppers name has no business in this discussion. As great as he's playing, we've seen defensive players have more dominant seasons than he is having right now.

bearfan
11-20-2006, 03:46 PM
I say Tomlinson, he is the best, and is playing the best this season, IMO carrying his team. I dont care how much Rivers has impressed, when you have a RB like LT, and doing what LT does, then I say he is carrying the team.

On a defensive note, I see no one mentioned Urlacher. Not to be a homer, but I watch him every single game, and he is just a beast.

draftguru151
11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
It's obvious that Manning is the Colts franchise, but as good as Turner has been, would he be anywhere near Tomlinson right now? See that TD Tomlinson caught, do you think Turner could do that? How about all of those carries, he's got what you want in an MVP. In fact, if SA won the award last year with those stats, Tomlinson definitely deserves it.

My Top 10:

1)-Tomlinson
2)-Manning
3)-Johnson
4)-Peppers
5)-Brees
6)-Smith
7)-Palmer
8)-Taylor
9)-Parker
10)-Rivers

First names are nice.

Shiver
11-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Shaun Alexander won last year.

I would like to add:

LDT '06 > Shaun Alexander '05

By far.

moc182
11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
People that are saying LT is the winner hands down really aren't thinking things out. If you take Peyton Manning away from the Colts, they're lucky to win half their games. With him they have started the past two seasons a combined 22-0. On the other hand, LT's backup is averaging over 6 yards per carry, and the Chargers would definitely still be a playoff team without him. Now I'm not saying he isn't a great player, or even that he ndoesn't deserve the award, but it's something to think about.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
People that are saying LT is the winner hands down really aren't thinking things out. If you take Peyton Manning away from the Colts, they're lucky to win half their games. With him they have started the past two seasons a combined 22-0. On the other hand, LT's backup is averaging over 6 yards per carry, and the Chargers would definitely still be a playoff team without him. Now I'm not saying he isn't a great player, or even that he ndoesn't deserve the award, but it's something to think about.

No way they would not be in the playoffs, Rivers would be bad without LT and when Turner runs they don't stack up on him like LT also he comes in a lot and runs in long down situations when the team is expecting pass, not bashing Turner cause I think he could be a starter but a lot of his yards are junk yards.

duckseason
11-20-2006, 04:17 PM

Backups of MVP candidates have no place in the discussion. They have no bearing on the value of said candidates. If that were part of the equation, then QB's would practically be the only players to ever win the MVP award. It's always tough to compare players who play differet positions, but when somebody is head and shoulders above everybody else, or they're having a season of the likes which we have never seen, then they would have to be the clear favorite. At this point in the season, Tomlinson is unquestionably the winner hands down. It's really not close at all. We may be watching the greatest season by any RB in the history of the game. It's his to lose at this point.

Jonathan_VIlma
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Problem is that you can say that about almost every quarterback in the NFL, because its not a replaceable position. Runningback is a lot more replaceable.

You take most any quarterback off their team and they're not replaceable.

Shiver
11-20-2006, 04:50 PM
That is a bad counter-point. If LaDainian Tomlinson doesn't get injured, he will have the greatest individual season ever. If he doesn't win the M.V.P, with that, it would be a travesty. Almost as bad as his pro bowl snub in '03, when he had 1,600 yards and 100 catches!

Moses
11-20-2006, 04:51 PM
That is a bad counter-point. If LaDainian Tomlinson doesn't get injured, he will have the greatest individual season ever. If he doesn't win the M.V.P, with that, it would be a travesty. Almost as bad as his pro bowl snub in '03, when he had 1,600 yards and 100 catches!

He didn't make the Pro Bowl that year? :shock:

I rarely pay attention to the Pro Bowl for obvious reasons but that is just ridiculous.

derza222
11-20-2006, 04:52 PM

Backups of MVP candidates have no place in the discussion. They have no bearing on the value of said candidates. If that were part of the equation, then QB's would practically be the only players to ever win the MVP award. It's always tough to compare players who play differet positions, but when somebody is head and shoulders above everybody else, or they're having a season of the likes which we have never seen, then they would have to be the clear favorite. At this point in the season, Tomlinson is unquestionably the winner hands down. It's really not close at all. We may be watching the greatest season by any RB in the history of the game. It's his to lose at this point.

I agree completely. That's why it's LT, and by a long shot. Add in the fact that he's having one of the greatest seasons for a RB ever and may break the record for touchdowns in a season, how can he not win?

Vikings Fan
11-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Brees needs more love. He is on pace for 5,000 yards and 30 TDs.

Smooth Criminal
11-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I would sooner give it to Brees than Manning. Sure Manning is the entire team but he isn't having anywhere near his best season while Tomlinson is playing the best of his entire career.

If Alexander did enough to get it last year than LT definately deserves is.

Shiver
11-20-2006, 05:26 PM

He didn't make the Pro Bowl that year? :shock:

I rarely pay attention to the Pro Bowl for obvious reasons but that is just ridiculous.

Somehow Clinton Portis made it over him. I understand Jamal Lewis (2,000 yards) and Priest Holmes (27 Touchdowns) but Portis making it over Tomlinson that year was a joke.

11-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I would sooner give it to Brees than Manning. Sure Manning is the entire team but he isn't having anywhere near his best season while Tomlinson is playing the best of his entire career.

Explain why Brees over Manning.

Shiver
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Because Drew Brees put up 500 yards, which is more important than the fact that his team lost the game. :roll:

ninerfan
11-20-2006, 05:53 PM
LT

Staubach12
11-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Well, it's a tie between Manning and Tomlinson right now for me. I think Tomlinson will end up getting it.

Staubach12
11-20-2006, 05:56 PM

So what is Manning isn't having his best year, he's still one of the best. What, did you expect 49 TDs every year?

Philliez01
11-20-2006, 05:56 PM

My Top 10:

1)-Tomlinson
2)-Manning
3)-Johnson, Larry
4)-Brees, Drew
5)-Smith, Steve
6)-Palmer, Carson
7)-Barber, Tiki
8 )-Peppers, Julius
9)-Rivers, Philip
10)-Taylor, Jason

First names are nice.

I changed it a lot but whatever, I didn't think most of them required first names considering that I doubt I would be talking about Zuriel Smiht though. I forgot about Barber.

ninerfan
11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
forget the homerism, but

is Gore in this league ? his numbers compare to LT, Johnson and Tiki and he's doing it in a much less talented team.

Geo
11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
The AFC will have the backfield of Manning and Tomlinson at the Pro Bowl. :shock:

Mr. Stiller
11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
The AFC will have the backfield of Manning and Tomlinson at the Pro Bowl. :shock:

Manning, Brady, Palmer
Tomlinson, Johnson, Parker
... Thats just crazy.

jackalope
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
i think LT should get it. he has 22 TDs.

Rob S
11-20-2006, 07:27 PM
gotta be LT

duckseason
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
forget the homerism, but

is Gore in this league ? his numbers compare to LT, Johnson and Tiki and he's doing it in a much less talented team.

You're kidding, right?
Tiki and Gore have similar numbers, but neither of them are in the same stratosphere as Johnson or Tomlinson. (#'s-wise)

11-20-2006, 07:30 PM
forget the homerism, but

You clearly forgot to do so.

Mr. Stiller
11-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't mind Jason Taylor getting it... Dudes been insane.

draftguru151
11-20-2006, 07:52 PM
forget the homerism, but

You're kidding, right?
Tiki and Gore have similar numbers, but neither of them are in the same stratosphere as Johnson or Tomlinson. (#'s-wise)

Gore has more yards than LT on the ground, FYI.

duckseason
11-20-2006, 07:53 PM
forget the homerism, but

You're kidding, right?

Gore has more yards than LT on the ground, FYI.

Right. His numbers still pale in comparison. I'm not saying Gore is no good, I'm just talking overall numbers.

ninerfan
11-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Frank Gore is 45 % of the 9ers offense - team 5-5

30% rushing 1043 yards 5.5 yds per attempt (highest in top 20) , 4 TD's
15% recieving 280 yards ave 8

LT is 40% of the Chargers - team 8-2

26% rushing 1037 yards 4.9 yds per and 19 TD's
19% recieving 450 yards ave 10

OK LT smashes Gore on the TD front but what Gore is doing with an average team is great and he's certainly worthy of discussion at this point (but ok i concede he wont win it)

Basileus777
11-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Frank Gore is 45 % of the 9ers offense - team 5-5

30% rushing 1043 yards 5.5 yds per attempt (highest in top 20) , 4 TD's
15% recieving 280 yards ave 8

LT is 40% of the Chargers - team 8-2

26% rushing 1037 yards 4.9 yds per and 19 TD's
19% recieving 450 yards ave 10

OK LT smashes Gore on the TD front but what Gore is doing with an average team is great and he's certainly worthy of discussion at this point (but ok i concede he wont win it)

Interesting. According to my calculations LJ is:

44% of Chiefs total offense with 1388 yards and 16 tds.

duckseason
11-20-2006, 11:53 PM
I agree that Gore is a very good back, and he seems to be the future of the 9ers, but he just really doesn't have any place in this discussion at this point in the year. He's just the MVP of his team. Tomlinson might be the MVP of this generation.

DChess
11-21-2006, 12:25 AM
drew brees should win it.

hear me out:

peyton he's above lt, his team isnt as good but he still has some solid players around hiim. a solid o-line with great recievers and some depth at the RB postion. the defense is shaky but its compatiable

lt is a great back and having an outstanding year, but the defense is one of the best in the nation. the best rush defense, with a great linebacker core and get pressure on the QB like no other.

drew brees had nothign to work with when he got there. a shaky defense and alot of unproven guys on O. they got bush who hasnt done much, but he has thrown his way, and has helped with the development of colsten. he is the mvp because of the lack of talent around him.

IMO...............