PDA

View Full Version : After LT, whose the next most important player?

JK17
05-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Not a great topic, but been kinda dull in the team forum lately so figured I'd try to start some conversation...

Obviously LT is the most important player to are team, but after him who do you feel is the next most significant?

Simply for his defensive prescence and productivity I would say Merriman, since he is the "LT" of our defense.

A case could certainly be made though for many other players, including Rivers, Gates, McNeill, or even Jamal Williams......

thoughts?

LitoSheppard
05-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Your O Line.. I forget his name but that RT i think.

JK17
05-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Your O Line.. I forget his name but that RT i think.

Shane Olivea? I really wouldn't agree with that...

San Diego Chicken
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd probably say Rivers. The transition from Brees to Rivers was very very smooth. If Rivers had been rocky or inconsistent, the whole season might have been different.

JK17
05-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I'd probably say Rivers. The transition from Brees to Rivers was very very smooth. If Rivers had been rocky or inconsistent, the whole season might have been different.

That's true, I can't wait to see how he develops again this year, especailly with Norv and a young, growing offense.....think he'll be pro bowl again?, tough competition...

bantx
05-24-2007, 09:04 PM
i have to say gates, he still puts up almost the same numbers, even when changing qb and adjusting to his style.

sdpads24
05-27-2007, 12:21 AM
i have to say gates, he still puts up almost the same numbers, even when changing qb and adjusting to his style.

Dont get me wrong, I love Gates as a player, but there is no way he is the most important player on our team besides LT. I think that the answer is easily Rivers as a quarterback's play can make or break a team. So the real question to this topic is who is the most important player to our team besides LT and Rivers? It's tough to tell, but I would have to say Merriman as he has really stepped up as the leader of our defense and has the rear ability to really shut down opposing RB's and QB's.

bergo23
05-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Jamal Williams has played all 16 games the last two years, and our D has been good......we have been building pieces around him...now he has Castillo and Igor on his flank......and either of those guys could replace him at Nose for short one or two game stints.....but Jamal is still the one guy we cannot afford to miss for a long stretch.

Rivers is the other guy, but Volek could do OK in a pinch, and even manage a win or two in the playoffs if we had a healthy D running game and OLine. Whitehurst may be that guy in a year when Volek find a job elsewhere when he has a chance to start. This Bolts team is deep and ready for a run in the playoffs.

neko4
05-27-2007, 03:29 AM
LIGHTS OUT
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/pkg/05NFLdraft/250/9068.jpg

Xenos
05-28-2007, 02:33 AM
The answer is Jamal Williams. Think about it. Who else can replace him. We at least have Turner if something bad happens to LT. But there's no one who can adequate replace Jamal. Igor is too tall to have the same kind of leverage that Jamal has and if the NT is gone, watch our run defense go to hell quicker than you can say the Wall. Jamal also affects the other parts of our defense as well. Without him there who can take up double olineman and free up the other defensive players like Merriman and Phillips.