PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

sweetness34
05-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Yea, they're coming out next Friday. I have to get all 4 pulled at the same time and I'm nervous as hell. I've never been operated on and I've never been knocked out and I'm freaking out about it. Yea I know it's just wisdom teeth but since I've never been operated on before, it scares the hell out of me.

Any advice for those who have been through surgery before, preferable those who've had their wisdom teeth taken out?

The Dynasty
05-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I had mine taken out December of 2005 and make sure you do the Salt Water Rising very well. Unlike myself i had a Dry Socket and had to get stuff put into the hole where the tooth was because mine werent out yet. Also being Knocked out is probably the best part. You wont feel anything until you wake up.

bored of education
05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I haven't had mine out yet.

MicktheGreat
05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
It's natural to be a little worried going into any type of surgery (especially anything where you are "knocked out"); however, it's a routine operation.

Here's what you can probably expect:
1. You'll sit in a comfortable, dentist-like chair and they'll hook you up to an IV.
2. They'll probably ask you to count down backwards from 10. Most people make it to about 8 before they are COMPLETELY unconscious (i.e. it doesn't take very long).
3. You'll wake up and it'll all be over. Your mouth will be stuffed with gauze (which you'll likely sense are there but won't necessarily "feel" them due to the anesthetics, if that makes sense) and you'll probably be a little groggy. You should have someone give you a ride home (just to be on the safe side).

For the next several hours, it's likely that your mouth will bleed quite a bit (which can be scary if you don't like blood); but that's pretty ordinary. Also, your face will be pretty numb -- which can make it difficult/frustrating to take your painkillers but nothing too bad.

HERE'S THE BIG THING TO WATCH OUT FOR:
The doctor will probably tell you about cleaning the sockets (once you remove the gauze) and will give you saline solution and a little squirter-thingy. ***MAKE SURE TO CLEAN YOUR SOCKETS REGULARLY AND THOROUGHLY (basically follow your doctor's cleaning instructions, religiously)*** The last thing that you want is to get "dry sockets," which can be VERY painful.

So...essentially, the surgery is a breeze. Just make sure to pay careful attention to cleaning/hygiene of the sockets afterwards...

Best of luck...

kalbears13
05-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Make sure he pulls out the right teeth. You don't want to be looking like Michael Strahan for the rest of your life.

sweetness34
05-22-2007, 10:58 PM
It's natural to be a little worried going into any type of surgery (especially anything where you are "knocked out"); however, it's a routine operation.

Here's what you can probably expect:
1. You'll sit in a comfortable, dentist-like chair and they'll hook you up to an IV.
2. They'll probably ask you to count down backwards from 10. Most people make it to about 8 before they are COMPLETELY unconscious (i.e. it doesn't take very long).
3. You'll wake up and it'll all be over. Your mouth will be stuffed with gauze (which you'll likely sense are there but won't necessarily "feel" them due to the anesthetics, if that makes sense) and you'll probably be a little groggy. You should have someone give you a ride home (just to be on the safe side).

For the next several hours, it's likely that your mouth will bleed quite a bit (which can be scary if you don't like blood); but that's pretty ordinary. Also, your face will be pretty numb -- which can make it difficult/frustrating to take your painkillers but nothing too bad.

HERE'S THE BIG THING TO WATCH OUT FOR:
The doctor will probably tell you about cleaning the sockets (once you remove the gauze) and will give you saline solution and a little squirter-thingy. ***MAKE SURE TO CLEAN YOUR SOCKETS REGULARLY AND THOROUGHLY (basically follow your doctor's cleaning instructions, religiously)*** The last thing that you want is to get "dry sockets," which can be VERY painful.

So...essentially, the surgery is a breeze. Just make sure to pay careful attention to cleaning/hygiene of the sockets afterwards...

Best of luck...

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I realize it's not a big operation, but I've never been in surgery before so it's scary for me.

PalmerToCJ
05-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah I wouldn't sweat it. I know a few people who have had it recently and they didn't act like it was a big deal.

On a side has anyone ever had anything on their skin removed? I got some mark cut out because my mom insisted and it was freaking sweet, they numbed it and I felt nothing but I could see blood all over the place haha.

757Dawg
05-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Consider yourself lucky. That's all I have to say.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth yanked when I had jaw surgery two summers ago. My face was swollen threefold and I spent two months with my mouth wired shut, living strictly on slop tasting protein liquid.

MP123
05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Yea, they're coming out next Friday. I have to get all 4 pulled at the same time and I'm nervous as hell. I've never been operated on and I've never been knocked out and I'm freaking out about it. Yea I know it's just wisdom teeth but since I've never been operated on before, it scares the hell out of me.

Any advice for those who have been through surgery before, preferable those who've had their wisdom teeth taken out?

I had mine taken out in August 2006. You will feel good when you're done. However the next day you start to swell and your mouth hurts. The next day your mouth gets worse. The third day you reach your peak pain. You look like a chipmunk and you cant eat because it hurts so much. You feel miserable. You're tired. After the third day, you start to get better. The recovery time is about one week.

fenikz
05-22-2007, 11:19 PM
is it necessarily for everyone to get their wisdom teeth removed?

im 19 and i haven't and there hasn't even been any talk of it

cunningham06
05-22-2007, 11:23 PM
is it necessarily for everyone to get their wisdom teeth removed?

im 19 and i haven't and there hasn't even been any talk of it

No it's not necessary for everyone. The reason they pull them in the first place is because wisdom teeth crowd your jaw and mess up the alignment of your other teeth. Some people have larger mouths and their wisdom teeth don't affect the other teeth.

It's really not a big deal, I had mine out last summer, it hurts at first, it bleeds a lot, but it's really not that big of a deal. Real solid food tastes amazing once you're able to eat it again after you get your wisdom teeth taken out.

MP123
05-22-2007, 11:27 PM
No it's not necessary for everyone. The reason they pull them in the first place is because wisdom teeth crowd your jaw and mess up the alignment of your other teeth. Some people have larger mouths and their wisdom teeth don't affect the other teeth.

It's really not a big deal, I had mine out last summer, it hurts at first, it bleeds a lot, but it's really not that big of a deal. Real solid food tastes amazing once you're able to eat it again after you get your wisdom teeth taken out.

My mouth bled for hours.

cunningham06
05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
My mouth bled for hours.

That's why you gots ta gauze it.

TitleTown088
05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey sweetness you know there is this thing being called " locked up" that happens to people who go under the knife where they are unable to move or let the doctors know they can feel everything going on during the surgery?(imagine that pain) Anyways, have a nice time under the knife, it's scary as hell.

sweetness34
05-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey sweetness you know there is this thing being called " locked up" that happens to people who go under the knife where they are unable to move or let the doctors know they can feel everything going on during the surgery?(imagine that pain) Anyways, have a nice time under the knife, it's scary as hell.

Thanks TT, just what I wanted to hear. :D

ncstateviking
05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
they were not able to put me under when i got my wisdom teeth out. i just ended up getting a bunch of local anethetics and enjoying the procedure.

what they will do is cut/burn your gums open and get to the teeth. then they will probably take a long thick needle thing (think a fork prong just longer) and essentially dig the teeth up with them until they can pull them out.

i was awake and aware the whole time and it didnt hurt. just make sure to not smoke or drink out of a straw. the sucking is a huge cause of the previously mentioned dry sockets.

also on the random surgury notes. i have broken both of my wrists playing football and had to get bone grapht surgery to repair them (not fun, took 8 months to get out of the cast the second time) and i had pins (2-3 inches long) removed from both. all they do is make a small incision and grab the pin with surgical needle nose plyers. then, way before your ready, they just yank hard as ****. You go lightheaded, feel the biggest pressure release in the world, and blood squirts about 2 feet in the air. no pain though. one of the most unique feelings i have ever felt.

TitleTown088
05-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks TT, just what I wanted to hear. :D
Don't mention it. I'm in the same boat though, mine gotta come out this summer too and I HATE having surgery. It's very frightening.

Javzz
05-23-2007, 12:49 AM
I thought it was pretty cool. You're not awake at all during the surgery. For the few brief moments before you pass, it's an incredible high.

You wake up, no pain. You sit on the couch, drink a ton of smoothies/shakes on painkillers. That was at least my experience, I was fortunate enough not to get any dry sockets.

MP123
05-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah I wouldn't sweat it. I know a few people who have had it recently and they didn't act like it was a big deal.

On a side has anyone ever had anything on their skin removed? I got some mark cut out because my mom insisted and it was freaking sweet, they numbed it and I felt nothing but I could see blood all over the place haha.

When I was five I had a mole removed. I was put out for about an hour.

YouNeverKnow
05-23-2007, 11:34 AM
What Mick said was very good, I've never been actually put under so I can't comment on that part.

Make sure to do the salt rinse as often as required, I was given a anti bacterial wash instead of the salt which worked just fine and didn't burn like salt did but had a weird aftertaste.

No Smoking or Straws for a few days, my girlfriends sister kept smoking and got dry socket and was in pain for a week.

I was able to eat some soft solid foods the day of the surgery, like poutine (yummy), thin chopped up steaks, and McDonalds, but milkshakes, yogurts, puddings, and meal replacement drinks are all great things to have.

If they give you T3's and ibuprofen, make sure to take them as soon as the last dose ran out, since it will keep the swelling down as much as possible.

Jughead10
05-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Also take the pain medication they prescribe you right away. I got mine taken out like 4 years ago. My mother got the medication right on the way home from the oral surgeon. We got home and was going to take a nap, so my mom asked me if I wanted to take one of the pain pills before I took my nap. I said no because it didn't hurt, mostly because it was still numb from the surgery. Well I woke up 2-3 hours later and it hurt like hell and it took a little while for the medication to kick in.

Otherwise stop being such a nancy and just get it done. From one who has other surgeries besides wisdom teeth, its basically nothing at all.

Xiomera
05-23-2007, 11:38 AM

I had all 4 of mine out when I was 15. No big deal.

drowe
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
don't do it. it's a scam. nobody REALLY needs their wisdom teeth out. it's just a game dentists play to get your money and your teeth (to sell on the black market of course).

ricky bobby
05-23-2007, 12:06 PM
I had four of mine removed last summer. Operation is not bad at all. The following week, it's tough to eat. After that, you have gaping holes in your mouth for about half a year in which food gets stuck. Kind of a pain in the ass. My operation went alright, took only 20 minutes for 4 teeth. I actually had to have imy removed by a maxiphiologist* or something like that, because they were already decaying. Not much swelling in my case, although my cousin looked like she had golf balls in her mouth after her operation (jokes are not welcome).

Nitschke-Hawk
05-23-2007, 12:37 PM
When I go to the dentist they mention it and I can feel them underneath my gums but they don't hurt at all and haven't affected anything yet, my teeth are as aligned as they're going to be. I'm convinced it's a little bit of a scam too like Drowe said, they act like everybody needs it but not everybody does.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2007, 01:04 PM
For some reason when I got my done they didn't hurt at all. I never even took one painkiller for it and I was out the next day.

ricky bobby
05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
For some reason when I got my done they didn't hurt at all. I never even took one painkiller for it and I was out the next day.
Same here. I took pills to prevent infection, but I didn't get pain killers.

smittyjs
05-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Some people have problems, i didn't i had all four pulled and went to a titans game that night. Cotton Swabs was the only part that i hated.

ricky bobby
05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
people still ahve those things yanked?

they told me to about 6 years ago when i broke my jaw. i've not been back to a dentist since.
They often times make your teeth come in crooked due to the lack of space. That happened in my case.

btw, who was the lucky guy that got to break your jaw? :)

drowe
05-23-2007, 01:26 PM

they told me to about 6 years ago when i broke my jaw. i've not been back to a dentist since.

same with me...6 or 7 years ago, they said i should 'think about having 'em out.' they said the same thing every year with no more or less urgency.

DChess
05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
mine wouldnt stop bleeding for two days, those two days sucked.

jkpigskin
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM
all 4 of mine are living happily in my mouth

Jughead10
05-23-2007, 01:55 PM
exactly. i decided i'd get them out when/if they started to hurt. i've sort of gone back on that and at least think i should get them checked, if only because i now also have about 2 cavities (from when my jaw was wired shut) that i think i could get them to fix at the same time. but i still don't really want them digging around in my mouth unless it's 100% necessary.

The surgery is so simple that it is more precautionary than anything. The teeth can impact and cause severe infection in your mouth. They just take them out to prevent that from ever happening in most cases.

Jughead10
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
i've heard "simple surgery" before. then they left my jaw wired shut for an extra 4 weeks without so much as examining my jaw to see if there was progress.

I'm sure wiring a broken jaw is far less simple than yanking a couple of wisdom teeth.

Moses
05-23-2007, 02:03 PM
you say that now. i have a deep distrust for dentists and oral surgeons and a serious aversion to having anyone dig around in my mouth for any reason.

You don't get your mouth cleaned at the dentist ever? Brutal.

Jughead10
05-23-2007, 02:04 PM
You know what you are Njx, You're an ANTI-DENTITE!!!!

drowe
05-23-2007, 02:26 PM
haven't in years. as a result, i practice very good oral hygiene. as far as i know, none of my teeth are growing fungus.

you're **** right. (i know that quote, but i can't think of any response from the show that would be pop-culture enough to steal)

"Dentists. who needs 'em?"

"yeah, just like the blacks and the jews."

Jughead10
05-23-2007, 02:34 PM
What do you call someone who failed out of med school?

A DENTIST!

princefielder28
05-23-2007, 02:36 PM
With Wisdom teeth it will bother you for the first three days or so but after that you should feel fine. If you're not feeling better then there's a chance that that area is infected and you are going to want to get that checked out, but that's no big deal either. The best part is probably the medication depending on what they give you :)

awfullyquiet
05-23-2007, 03:03 PM
you'll probably sit on a couch and post way too much.

TitleTown088
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM

If you don't get your wisdom teeth out it can cause an infection that can spread to your brain and kill you.

TitleTown088
05-23-2007, 06:21 PM
and wouldn't that just make your day.

Yeah, probably.

kalbears13
05-23-2007, 07:17 PM
If you don't get your wisdom teeth out it can cause an infection that can spread to your brain and kill you.

If this does happen to you, refer to "500 things to do before you die" thread.