PDA

View Full Version : New England Patriots Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Handel
11-21-2006, 08:40 AM
What happened to the other thread? Automatically deleted because of lack of activity?

Anyway, concerning the next year draft, I wonder if our ILB need (which is the most important imho) will be filled through FA rather than in the first round of the draft. It seems, as for now, that there is no 3-4 ILB who have enough value to be draft in the 20's. At the opposite, there are many DBs who could be interesting : Darrelle Revis, Michael Griffin, Aaron Rouse. I would not be suprised if one or even 2 DBs would be selected in first round by the Pats and no ILB.

EHobbs27
11-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I would certainly think that ILB is a huge need, but we probably will take the best LB available at the time whether it be a tweener or an inside LB. If Woodley is there then we will take him and move Vrabel inside, but if he is gone and a guy like Willis is there then I am certain we will take him.

I really want Michael Griffin, but if he isn't available then I want a true shutdown CB like a Leon Hall or a Darelle Revis.

remix 6
11-22-2006, 10:02 PM
i want

Patrick Willis
Reggie Nelson
Michael Griffin

^should be avaible .. at least 1

others i want out of reach
LaRon Landry
Leon Hall
Gaines Adams

UK Patriot
11-23-2006, 09:58 AM
A lot of the mocks have us taking a WR quite high in the drafts, but I'm a firm believer that its our D which needs adressing this draft. But I am interested in if you think Jeff Samardzija would be a good fit in New England, and if you'd be happy to see him in the Patriots Uniform?

Obviously he's had 2+ years working with Weis at ND, and is a proven top drawer WR, so i for one would be happy if the Pats selected him, but only if he calls time on playing Baseball.

Matthew Jones
11-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I would certainly think that ILB is a huge need, but we probably will take the best LB available at the time whether it be a tweener or an inside LB. If Woodley is there then we will take him and move Vrabel inside, but if he is gone and a guy like Willis is there then I am certain we will take him.

I really want Michael Griffin, but if he isn't available then I want a true shutdown CB like a Leon Hall or a Darelle Revis.

Bill Belichick has pretty much showed that he doesn't trust rookie linebackers. The linebacker spot is pretty much exclusively addressed through free agency around here, and Mike Vrabel's move inside was temporary, as his skillset is much better suited to play on the outside. I would say cornerback is the most likely position to draft in the first round, because Asante Samuel still hasn't worked out a deal and it looks like he's leaving.

Since Samuel wasn't regarded as a very smart defensive back, I don't think the intelligence (or lack thereof) of Reggie Nelson would turn Belichick away, and he would replace Samuel, a hard-hitting, Floridian corner, with another hard-hitting, Floridian corner. I also heard rumors last year that the Patriots really liked Haloti Ngata and would have drafted him at #21 in the unlikely case that he was available.

With that said, there are not really any defensive tackles other than Alan Branch worth drafting in the first, so I don't think that will be addressed. Perhaps someone like Adam Carriker. He's a rare 3-4 end, and with the lack of success that Jon Sullivan and Marquise Hill had, it's clear that Belichick wants a very deep defensive line but hasn't been able to find a great fit. Granted, Carriker may not be considered a first round talent at this point, but Logan Mankins was projected in the late second, early third range (I had actually projected him to go to New England at the end of round two in my seven-round mock) and so projected draft position might not matter much, either.

remix 6
11-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Nelson is a CB/Safety so the versatility will get BB's attention..him being kinda close with Meyer now..maybe helps BB make the decision beter.

a hard hitter..playmaker is what u get in Nelson and i want it!

EHobbs27
11-23-2006, 07:07 PM
I highly doubt we go Defensive Line. It is by far our strongest position and Alan Branch will be a top 10 pick.

Everyone says we don't pick LB's early, but the same was said last year about RB's. It gets to a point when you need youth at LB, you can't keep adding 30+ year old guys to your LB's core. The Pats need speed and this is a great draft to get a LB. I'm pretty sure we will take one in round 1 this year.

RollingThunder
11-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Does anybody else think that we may trade both of our first round picks to move up if a player we like falls just enough?

SuperMcGee
11-24-2006, 04:31 PM
capitalize Discussion, ya bunch of slackers

Handel
11-25-2006, 03:46 PM
capitalize Discussion, ya bunch of slackers

And why we must do that? :?:

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 06:35 PM
congrats.

alca1992
11-26-2006, 09:15 PM
well if smazada (spelling???) falls to us in the late 20s ( where i project us) most likely 28 or 29 then we should definatley take him but the seahawks will probaly finish around 18 and i just dont see a playmaking saftey there. so i say we trade up to get micheal griffin

EHobbs27
11-27-2006, 08:18 AM
I would love a guy like Reggie Nelson, but if James Sanders continues to play well, then maybe we don't need a safety. I hope Sanders continues to play well so we can get a LB and a WR in round one or a LB and a CB.

remix 6
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I would love a guy like Reggie Nelson, but if James Sanders continues to play well, then maybe we don't need a safety. I hope Sanders continues to play well so we can get a LB and a WR in round one or a LB and a CB.

how well has Sanders played? didnt do anything too bad that got noticed so thats a good sign

but Nelson..give us a CB/S whos a ballhawk and playmaker..

Rodney is done in a year or 2..Wilson is an FA in 08

Nelson for PATS!

MikeD
11-28-2006, 06:21 PM
pretty impresive, the pats look ready,but watch out for the ravens 8)

Matthew Jones
12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Analysis of the New England Patriots Draft Needs:

Quarterback – Not a need until at the very latest the sixth or seventh round, but will most likely address need for a #3 quarterback (if Testaverde retires) with a veteran free agent or an undrafted guy, like we tried with J.T. O’Sullivan earlier.

Running Back – Corey Dillon and Laurence Maroney splitting time with Kevin Faulk as our third down guy has this position basically set. Maybe just a late-round power back such as DeShawn Wynn to groom.

Wide Receiver – A need that will most likely be addressed in the second or third round. I think Samardzija could slip to the second, and Jason Hill sounds like a great player as well – trading down with one of our firsts could work here.

Tight End – Ben Watson is locked in as the starter, and even if Daniel Graham leaves, we have David Thomas and Garrett Mills from last year’s draft. We might pick up a strong blocker as a free agent.

Offensive Tackle – Not a need – Matt Light always plays well on the left, and our other three tackles – Wesley Britt, Nick Kaczur, and Ryan O’Callaghan – have played well and provide us with adequate depth.

Offensive Guard – Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal are set at the starting spots – Russ Hochstein is decent depth, but we cold use a late-round player here with good technique and footwork.

Center – Dan Koppen is among the best centers in the league, and just received a contract extension. Hochstein doubles as the backup here, and if we don’t draft a backup guard late, we might take a center.

Defensive End – Richard Seymour and Ty Warren are the perfect ends for our 3-4 front. Marquise Hill has been a disappointment and Jarvis Green is more of a situational pass rusher, so maybe a late-round DT convert would work here.

Defensive Tackle – Vince Wilfork is another great fit in our defense as someone who can take up a ton of space. Jon Sullivan didn’t work out, and Mike Wright is a fringe player at best, so a late-round pick here would be nice.

Outside Linebacker – If Mike Vrabel moves inside and Tully Banta-Cain is a disappointment starting on the outside, then we might have use for a DE/OLB tweener such as LaMarr Woodley, but this is more of a free agent position.

Inside Linebacker – With Junior Seau looking like he’s done, Tedy Bruschi is our only real talent inside. I don’t think moving Vrabel in is the right thing to do, so signing a free agent such as Jamie Sharper would be very helpful to our team.

Cornerback – Asante Samuel might be leaving as a free agent, and Chad Scott and Randall Gay are injury prone, so cornerback is a need, but we have the money to bring back Samuel. First round need if we don’t re-sign him.

Safety – The strong safety position may be a need, because Rodney Harrison keeps getting hurt. James Sanders and Artrell Hawkins have been good, but someone like Reggie Nelson who plays both CB and S would be a valuable guy.

Kicker/Punter – Stephen Gostkowski is doing well as a rookie – he has a higher field goal percentage than Mike Vanderjagt this year – but Josh Miller is out for the year and a late-round punter is something to look out for.

Kick/Punt Returners – Kevin Faulk is doing a pretty good job shagging punts, and Laurence Maroney is one of the best kick returners in the league, so we don’t really need to address this. Willie Andrews could always contribute here.

UK Patriot
12-03-2006, 05:33 AM
A good read. I agree that the decision on re-signing Samuel is massive for the Pats. If he wants mor $$$ then we're prepared to stump up, we'll definitly be using a 1st round pick on a CB. If he sees sense and re-signs then the Pats have so much more flexibility with their picks.

(a) The two first round picks could really beef up our Linebackers corps and safety concerns

(b) They could be combined to trade for a more elite prospect then we may get for our picks, Griffin or Landry perhaps?

(c) Used in a trade in the off-season, Randy Moss has been mentioned quite a lot by NFL fans on this site, and would give Brady a true No1 receiver. Bringing Moss in would, IMO, improve the offense SO much, as he would most likely be double teamed leaving gaps for Reche, CJ and Big Ben

The one bit of business which has put us in such a great position for next years draft is managing to get a 1st round pick from the Seahawks for Deion, which, IMO, was a fantastic piece of business by Pioli and Belichick.

Of the three option above, i would love (c) to happen. If Moss came to Foxborough i thibk he would take our Offense to the next level, but whether or not BB would take that gamble is another thing. Stranger things have happened, Dillon coming from the Bengals springs to mind.

EHobbs27
12-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Here is my latest Pats mock:

Pats trade their 1st round pick to Oakland for Randy Moss

1st round: HB Blades-ILB-Pittsburgh

2nd round: David Irons-CB-Auburn

Here is my reasoning:

Moss will be traded this offseason. I just know it. Belichick has stated in the past that he is a fan of Moss and the thought of adding a Moss to our offense is a dream. I think Moss would be fine in New England because we have the best QB in the game and we have a winning program. As long as Moss is happy, he is a dominant WR who really could get us to the next step offensively.

HB Blades is a football player. Everyone will say he isn't tall enough or he isn't fast enough or he isn't big enough, but the fact is he is a football player. He comes from a great background and is is a tough and physical LB. He can shed blocks which makes him a great 3-4 LB and he will be a very solid LB.

David Irons is a very underrated CB. At 5'11, 188 he isn't a huge CB, but he definately has GREAT cover skills and is actually pretty physical for his size. The one game I saw this year for Auburn and actually payed attention to Irons was against South Carolina where he shut down Sidney Rice.

Jay
12-03-2006, 08:00 PM
I could live with trading for Moss.

Also, looks like Brady lost a bet:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061122/capt.fd7170bd3c564dfd83916c10f3e5739c.bears_patrio ts_football_masr105.jpg

:lol:

Komp
12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Watching the Pats - Lions game yesterday I thought that NE looked a little soft at the LB position. What do you guys think about Earl Everett? You could probably get him in the 2nd/3rd rd and he is athletic as any LB in the draft this year. I agree with the idea of Willis for you guys, I think he'd play extremely well in NE.

portermvp84
12-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I think Moss will stay in Oakland, theres a better chance of getting Porter than him.

EHobbs27
12-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Watching the Pats - Lions game yesterday I thought that NE looked a little soft at the LB position. What do you guys think about Earl Everett? You could probably get him in the 2nd/3rd rd and he is athletic as any LB in the draft this year. I agree with the idea of Willis for you guys, I think he'd play extremely well in NE.

Not a big fan. He is barely over 230 pounds which we saw with Monty Beisel is too small. I am starting to see a trend with the LB's this year. They all are pretty small for a 3-4 defense. Outside of David Harris and maybe Willis, Blades, and Siler all the LB's are small. I would love to add a tweener though this year and move Vrabel inside. There are a lot of tweeners this year. Quentin Moses, Lamar Woodley, Victor Abiamiri, and Anthony Spencer who I really like.

BigDawg819
12-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Well being a semi-closet Patriots fan, thanks alot Theresa, they are an enigma to me as an organization. Don't get me wrong, there recent success has been simply amazing in an era where this was thought to be unheard of, but what troubles me is there refusal to pay players. I know they signed Brady, Seymour, and the center who's name eludes me, but the Branch situation and possible situation with Asante Samuel are the reasons. I feel Brady was worth much more then he signed for on the open market and was justified to bring to light his displeasure with not resigning Branch. With the year Samuel is putting together he's bound to get some teams to throw money at him and I don't see the Pats matching any extreme offers for him. Their success with the free agent market is admirable and they do draft well, but sooner or later you have to throw money at your players and bite the bullet. The Ravens had to do this with McAllister and I thank them for it. But year in and year out you can't expect to your players to take pay cuts to stay or find a free agent left over at training camp.

alca1992
12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
your right we refuse to pay players

UK Patriot
12-09-2006, 03:46 AM
I think the sucess we have'd is largely down to our policy of setting a value on a player and sticking to it. By not overspending we have plenty of cap space available to maintain a strong overall roster, and pose a consistant thread in the AFC East and playoffs.

As far as re-signing players is concerned, i think BB and SP have the right idea. They have proven their commitment to re-signing our true elite players (Brady, Seymour, Koppen, soon to add Ty Warren) as there is almost no chance of finding equal ability replacements with the same attitudes. As far the players we have let go, none have had the sucess their respective employers would have wanted for the value of their contracts, Vinatieri aside. Givens, Branch, McGinest have all underperformed so far.

I think Belichick makes a decision on a players attitude 'When ???? signs this lucrative contract, will he continue to perform at the highest level?' If he has any doubt over the answer, then i suspect that is the point he allows that player to enter free agency.

The other reason that the Patriots continue to perform well after letting talent leave yeaar after year is their ability to sign relative unknowns and get the best out of them ie Vrabel, Caldwell, Colvin etc.

Matthew Jones
12-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I think the sucess we have'd is largely down to our policy of setting a value on a player and sticking to it. By not overspending we have plenty of cap space available to maintain a strong overall roster, and pose a consistant thread in the AFC East and playoffs.

I think it's good to practice self-restraint in spending (I'm looking at you, Theo), but in the NFL, you have an amount of money to spend and we should be utilizing all of it each year rather than spend $20m less than our opponents.

Jay
12-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I am so glad we had Kevin Faulk out there to screw up again.

EHobbs27
12-10-2006, 05:06 PM
HAHA too bad none of the loss was Faulk's fault. Our O-line could not stop Jason Taylor, our WR's blow, and our secondary sucks.

steelcrew43
12-10-2006, 05:44 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/steelcrew43/shark_pats.jpg

draftguru151
12-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I love Brady in Miami.

Jay
12-10-2006, 06:47 PM
HAHA too bad none of the loss was Faulk's fault. Our O-line could not stop Jason Taylor, our WR's blow, and our secondary sucks.

I know, but he did have the signature f-up of the game and I felt like bringing it up. :lol:

Imagine what we could have done with a decent wideout...

remix 6
12-10-2006, 08:09 PM

secondary doesnt suck..chad scott does.

our OL blew today.

good guys:
dillon, faulk, pass,samuel,front 3 or 4.

sanders looked pretty good..didnt see anything against him. Hawkins needed to make that play

diabsoule
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Which do you guys think would help you out more? Anthony Spencer or Ray McDonald?

EHobbs27
12-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Anthony Spencer. The guy is going to be a beast in a 3-4 defense.

diabsoule
12-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I saw on the ESPN ticker that you guys released Doug Gabriel.

alca1992
12-13-2006, 04:50 PM
yea its true

why did we do this

Jay
12-14-2006, 06:34 AM
From what I've heard, he was released because he still doesn't know the playbook and he's had a bad attitude...

alca1992
12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
does anyone think dillion will retire this year

Don Vito
12-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Which do you guys think would help you out more? Anthony Spencer or Ray McDonald?

Anthony Spencer. The guy is going to be a beast in a 3-4 defense.

Spencer will be a 3-4 beast, but so will McDonald as a DE. However, we do not need a day 1 DL. Also, I would rather see us get another 3-4 OLB besides Spencer (preferably LaMarr Woodley)

Jay
12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Laurence Maroney (questionable, back) made a very interesting comment in the Patriots locker room on Friday, noting that, "I don’t have broken ribs, I don’t have a concussion and I don’t have a back problem."

You mean that the Patriots may be misleading us a bit? Or maybe Belichick got to Maroney and told him to deny it all? Many fantasy owners are hoping that the first-round pick can return for an advantageous match-up with the Texans, but there will be absolutely no telling how healthy he is until Sunday. Play him at your own risk

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

Interesting. What the F is that shiz?

remix 6
12-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Laurence Maroney (questionable, back) made a very interesting comment in the Patriots locker room on Friday, noting that, "I don’t have broken ribs, I don’t have a concussion and I don’t have a back problem."

You mean that the Patriots may be misleading us a bit? Or maybe Belichick got to Maroney and told him to deny it all? Many fantasy owners are hoping that the first-round pick can return for an advantageous match-up with the Texans, but there will be absolutely no telling how healthy he is until Sunday. Play him at your own risk

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

Interesting. What the F is that shiz?

he never said he didnt have bruised ribs? bruised back? strained back? idk what other injuries. he just said nothings broken..so i guess that means he'll be back @ one point

Jay
12-16-2006, 07:12 AM
I took it a completely different way, as in, he's not hurt at all. I thought he was saying it in a condescending kind of way. But I guess that's what I get for putting emotion into written word, you can never tell that part based on how it is written...

The good news is Rodney may be back just in time for me to see him play next week in Jacksonville!! 8)

Poll
12-16-2006, 07:17 AM
The Boston Herald reported Maroney has problems with rib cartilage.

Jay
12-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Time to revisit some previous discussion given the events of this week: WR as a need.

Obviously, a lot of us were counting on Doug Gabriel to be much more than he ended up being... which was a lot of nothing and a waste of a fifth round pick. Chad Jackson, we all believe, will be a very, very good WR with time, at the very least, a dependable #2 guy. I may be willing to admit that I value Reche Caldwell a little less than I should, but I still don't want to see him as much more than a #3. Troy Brown is near the end. Jabar Gaffney is just a guy. WR is officially a very big need now. Maybe not as big as LB or DB, but at the same time, just as possible to be a bigger need (meaning it could go either way). It's safe to say that, while it's not a first round lock (because nothing ever is), it's going to be a toss-up as to what the bigger need is as far as LB/DB/WR.

Who are available in free agency at those positions. I know Lance Briggs, Cato June and Adelius Thomas are at the LB position, but I don't think any of those three are inside guys and that is our biggest need (though Junior Seau may come back). Deon Grant is out there at FS, may be worth a shot. There are some solid corners, but they are likely to get franchised. Shawn Springs may be a cap casualty. I really think what the Pats best move would be, is to find a way to move up and grab a Calvin Johnson or even Dwayne Jarret if they have to and address the defense via free agency. Let's face it, the offense simply isn't cutting it this year.

And I think they need to make a splash this year. They have been far too conservative, and have feasted off of playing extra games and all the extra Super Bowl revenue. They are in the top 3 as far as merchandising goes, it's time to do something. Who is out there for FA WR's? My opinion may be swayed if someone good and signable is out there. Of course, I wouldn't oppose to trading a pick for Randy Moss either. I wouldn't want it to be a first, because he can be a headache, but if it came down to it, then the lower of the firsts could go just to get a guy like that.

But Doug Gabriel not working out changes a lot of things in my opinion...

Poll
12-16-2006, 06:07 PM
I like Nate Clements so they can save draft picks for other areas.

And I like Pau Williams.

EHobbs27
12-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I would be estatic if we traded up for a Dwayne Jarrett or a Calvin Johnson. Like Jay said we don't have many big needs. LB and S are 2 needs, but they are both depth needs and are two positions we need to get younger at. They certainly aren't positions we need immediately. CB could be an immediate need, but if we resign Asante then I really don't think it is. The only immediate need we have is at WR so if we have a chance with 2 first rounders to move up and get one of the top 2 WR's I say do it. I hate to say it, but IMO the talent has a pretty big drop off after CJ, DJ, and TG. Samardjiza worries me and after him Dwayne Bowe is the only other guy I would consider in round 1. Bothe Jarrett and CJ would instantly make this offense and Tom Brady so much better.

12-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Dear NE please let us win this meanless game to u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Handel
12-18-2006, 04:22 AM

Sorry, We must prevent JeSts to win AFC east.

alca1992
12-18-2006, 03:06 PM

Sorry, We must prevent JeSts to win AFC east.

doesnt matter NE will win it

but we must keep the momentum

EHobbs27
12-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey Jay, what did you think of Kevin Faulk this weekend?? :D Just playing.

alca1992
12-19-2006, 02:22 PM

that was a pretty sick touchdown

my future me
12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Another year, another snub for Wilfork and Koppen.

BTW, I will be willing to trade Matt Light for a six-pack of Brazilian beer and a half-eaten doughboy

EHobbs27
12-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Another year, another snub for Wilfork and Koppen.

BTW, I will be willing to trade Matt Light for a six-pack of Brazilian beer and a half-eaten doughboy

And Samuel, Warren, and Brady. The Pro-Bowl Voting this year was a joke.

I agree 110% about the Matt Light thought though.

Don Vito
12-19-2006, 08:03 PM
In a lot of mock drafts, there are a couple things that are bothering me. The first one is the Pats taking first round DL. The second is Jeff Smardzija to NE in round 1. IMO he is not worth a 1st round pick for us. I think he is a good college player and will make a pretty good pro, but he is not a good value pick for us. We could get a receiver as good as him, better than him, or maybe even Samrdzija himself in round 2. In the back of my mind I know that Smardzija is the type of player we would draft- smart, athletic, and a Weis product. We need LB and DB in round 1, but if Ginn or Jarrett falls to us or we somehow end up with CJ on the board still, then we could take a round 1 WR.

Jay
12-19-2006, 09:43 PM

When he does it in an NFL game, let me know. :wink:

Matthew Jones
12-20-2006, 12:40 AM
I still can't even believe we're trusting Matt Light to protect Brady's blind side. Move that bum over to the right. And what's up with No-Action Jackson getting benched in favor of Kelvin Kight?

Poll
12-20-2006, 04:44 AM
I still can't even believe we're trusting Matt Light to protect Brady's blind side. Move that bum over to the right. And what's up with No-Action Jackson getting benched in favor of Kelvin Kight?

Kight has practiced more than Jackson has, so he has more experience with the plays.

tylaw24
12-20-2006, 06:21 AM
What the hell is up with our punters? Ken Walter was just placed on IR with a foot injury. Belichick will probably go with this Danny Baugher fella they signed to the practice squad a while back.

Jay
12-20-2006, 06:23 AM
I think it is an abomination that Tom Brady did not make the Pro Bowl. Seriously, he's throwing to nobodies, and still has comprable stats to any QB in the NFL. ANY.

And yeah, what the hell is going on with Chad Jackson? Is this guy hurt still? Why isn't he seeing the field?

I am seriously starting to think, more and more, every day, that Bill Belichick is losing it...

Matthew Jones
12-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Not only that, but Logan Mankins and Asante Samuel got robbed. Mankins is one of the best guards in the league, and Samuel has 18 tackles and 3 INTs on Chris McAlister.

my future me
12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I really think that Neal, right now, is light years ahead of Mankins, that may be the result of Light continually missing blocks.

Samuel getting snubbed proves that the coaches, not players and not fans, should decide who goes to the Pro Bowl. Harrison, when healthy, never gets a nod because the players do not vote for him. How good of a season do you need to have to be Pro Bowl worthy?

my future me
12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
DB + LB have to be our first round picks, unless we can move up choose CJ (highly unlikely). A WR in the first is such a risky pick that the value never usually works out, s.a. Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Freddie Mitchell, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Ashley Lelie, Rod Gardner, Travis Taylor, Sylvester Morris, and R. Jay Soward.

EHobbs27
12-20-2006, 07:20 PM
In a lot of mock drafts, there are a couple things that are bothering me. The first one is the Pats taking first round DL. The second is Jeff Smardzija to NE in round 1. IMO he is not worth a 1st round pick for us. I think he is a good college player and will make a pretty good pro, but he is not a good value pick for us. We could get a receiver as good as him, better than him, or maybe even Samrdzija himself in round 2. In the back of my mind I know that Smardzija is the type of player we would draft- smart, athletic, and a Weis product. We need LB and DB in round 1, but if Ginn or Jarrett falls to us or we somehow end up with CJ on the board still, then we could take a round 1 WR.

Anyone who has DL for the Pats in round one is just plain stupid. I would love to see us add a WR in round one if we get Asante back. If Asante comes back I don't see CB as a huge need unless a guy like Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis fell. I see it more as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I really don't know if S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and I hope he is our future because I think he will be really good. LB is a definate need so I would like to see us add a LB in round 1.

1.) Patrick Willis, HB Blades, Anthony Spencer, Lamar Woodley, Brandon Siler

1.) Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachum, Ted Ginn, Dwayne Jarrett

That is what I am hoping for right now for a first round.

alca1992
12-21-2006, 09:23 PM

Anyone who has DL for the Pats in round one is just plain stupid. I would love to see us add a WR in round one if we get Asante back. If Asante comes back I don't see CB as a huge need unless a guy like Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis fell. I see it more as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I really don't know if S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and I hope he is our future because I think he will be really good. LB is a definate need so I would like to see us add a LB in round 1.

1.) Patrick Willis, HB Blades, Anthony Spencer, Lamar Woodley, Brandon Siler

1.) Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachum, Ted Ginn, Dwayne Jarrett

That is what I am hoping for right now for a first round.

first ted ginn wont be around then and wouldnt you want us to get jarret with our first pick ( if hes there)

tylaw24
12-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Does anyone here know of any good patriots sig makers? The Tom Brady one i have is getting a little old.

Matthew Jones
12-23-2006, 11:27 PM
I would love to draft Ted Ginn. He'd really shore up our return game and be a legitimate deep threat. That's what we don't have, and Dwayne Jarrett and Shark won't fix that problem. I think I read somewhere that he dabbled in cornerback a bit in high school. I think trading up for him would be a great idea.

Poll
12-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Ginn isn't that consistent catching the ball.
Rather take someone with similar speed in the 2nd or 3rd round.

remix 6
12-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I would love to draft Ted Ginn. He'd really shore up our return game and be a legitimate deep threat. That's what we don't have, and Dwayne Jarrett and Shark won't fix that problem. I think I read somewhere that he dabbled in cornerback a bit in high school. I think trading up for him would be a great idea.

we have a legit deep threat in CJax

Ginn IMO doesnt have the hands..hes a speedester but his hands and hes a little raw concern me. i wouldnt risk it

id rather have Robert Meachem by a mile
Meachem is a 6"3 210 lbs WR with 4.28 speed and all the ability in the world. Hes like Andre Johnson

EHobbs27
12-24-2006, 09:12 AM

Ginn was the #1 CB recruit coming out of High School, and Ohio State did the dumb thing of moving him to WR. It won't be so dumb because I think Ginn will be a great WR in the NFL, but many believe that Ginn could have been a top 5 pick if he stayed at CB. I also think we need to sure up our return game as well. If we added a Dante Hall/Devin Hester type of return man to our team, that would be nasty. That is what I think Ginn can be. I mean we can't have Maroney or Troy Brown return kicks and punts much longer.

As of right now like remix said, I would probably prefer not to trade up and settle for Robert Meachum or Dwayne Bowe in round one as well as a LB or CB with the other pick, but I certainly won't be disappointed if we added Ted Ginn to this team.

Jay
12-25-2006, 08:45 AM
I soooo can't wait to post my pictures from the Jacksonville game!! I have some that are AMAZING!! 8)

Jay
12-25-2006, 09:57 AM
You can find my pics here:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=467434&blogID=209550008&MyToken=f8063294-acbc-4e38-bcad-8d9477aa8692

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/JayMJ99/patsjags1224/pats6.jpg

There are 22 more there 8)

EHobbs27
12-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Dam. :D Nice pics Jay. You had awesome seats.

Merry Christmas Pats fans!!!!

tylaw24
12-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Awesome pics there Jay. Some nice closeups of Tully, Vrabel and Bruschi with a nice posing Colvin.

Pocket
12-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Just a quick question for you Patriot fans....

How would you guys feel if you traded both of your late first round picks for the first overall pick with Detroit? You could then draft Calvin Johnson at that spot....

Just something I just thought of that might be interesting.

12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Detroit needs Quinn thats why, Oakland would be a better possibility but why not just trade 1 first for a proven WR in Moss instead....

Bottom line is we wont know anything untill after the combine

tylaw24
12-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Just a quick question for you Patriot fans....

How would you guys feel if you traded both of your late first round picks for the first overall pick with Detroit? You could then draft Calvin Johnson at that spot....

Just something I just thought of that might be interesting.

I wouldn't mind a trade up but it wouldn't be for a WR. Id rather them take a safety like Michael Griffin or an extremely good linebacker. The truth is though that the pats rarely make any moves in the 1st round and will usually settle for BPA. Plus it wouldn't be for Detroit's pick because the $ behind taking the #1 overall would scare the Patriots front office.

EHobbs27
12-27-2006, 09:45 AM
As much as I would love Calvin Johnson, I highly doubt we would trade up for him. It would cost us way to much.

Here are my updated needs for the Pats:

1.) WR- We have by far the worst WR group in the NFL. Luckily we have solid TE's.

2.) LB- With Seau wanting to come back I like the 5 man rotation of Bruschi, Seau, Vrabel, Colvin, and Banta-Cain, but we certainly need to get a young star at LB to go with those guys.

3.) LT- Matt Light has pissed me off so bad this year. The guy can not block at all and when we have a QB as valuable as Brady, we need someone who can constantly block Brady's blindside. I just simply don't trust Light anymore.

4.) CB- CB moves up to #1 or #2 if Samuel leaves, but more then likely if we can re-sign Asante, CB is really just a depth need. I like the combo of Hobbs and Samuel, but it would even be better if we added someone who can challenge Hobbs as our #2 CB moving Hobbs to a nickel CB where he is much better.

5.) S- I really don't think S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and is only getting better as he gets more time on the field. Unless a guy like Landry or Nelson falls to the Pats pick, I don't see us taking S in round 1.

ricky bobby
12-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Bill Belicheck is going to be our HC and GM next year. How do you feel about that?

EHobbs27
12-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Link??? I saw a rumor about it, but that source was trash.

tylaw24
12-27-2006, 09:46 PM
This is the first I've heard of any rumors about him leaving. How would anyone know if he was annoyed with Kraft? his robotic answers during press conferences are the only insight that we have to his feelings towards the team and its management.

I did a quick search and there is a story posted on bostonherald.com

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=171200

It does raise an interesting point though in this section:

It’s worth noting that Belichick’s last contract extension actually was agreed to and put in place a full year before it was announced. Given the elder Kraft’s track record of retaining his top managers since Bill Parcells departed a decade ago, it’s possible that Belichick already has been extended.

ricky bobby
12-27-2006, 10:29 PM
It doesn't matter if he is under contract. It will be void if we offer him our GM position, due to the fact that it is an advancement.

Jay
12-28-2006, 07:31 AM
We'll still be entitled to compensation, which to me... sounds like... three first round picks.

Not happening.

tylaw24
12-28-2006, 08:13 AM
We'll still be entitled to compensation, which to me... sounds like... three first round picks.

Not happening.

Good point!

alca1992
12-28-2006, 11:24 AM
5.) S- I really don't think S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and is only getting better as he gets more time on the field. Unless a guy like Landry or Nelson falls to the Pats pick, I don't see us taking S in round 1.

come on safety has got to be higher than this. rodney will probaly be retiring at the end of 2007. we should get a safety with our last 1st round pick. then we should use our first 1st round pick and trade up and get dwayne jarret

Jughead10
12-28-2006, 11:55 AM

Not happening.

Good point!

Actually I don't think you would be. When is Bill's contract up anyway.

Jay
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
If Belichick is under contract, which he is until the end of next season, then the New York Giants would be required to compensate us for his services. We got a first and a second for Bill Parcells, Belichick is worth much more at this point in his career.

Same thing goes for Scott Pioli. The only way he can take another job with someone else in any capacity is with the permission of Bob Kraft, and that's not happening without compensation. Yes, coaches can take jobs if they are a higher position, but there was a specific rule put into place that, ironically, was called the Pioli Rule which states that head coaches and team executives are not subject to the "higher position" loophole.

So it's cut and dry: while Pioli and Belichick are under contract, they are going NO WHERE without HEAVY compensation...

tylaw24
12-29-2006, 04:55 AM

come on safety has got to be higher than this. rodney will probaly be retiring at the end of 2007. we should get a safety with our last 1st round pick. then we should use our first 1st round pick and trade up and get dwayne jarret

How low do u think the Seahawk's pick in the draft will be? I read this on their nfl.com news page:

Seattle has lost three straight games and is still the division winner even if it losses a fourth straight contest at Tampa Bay on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET

What happens if they lose and the Rams beat the Vikings? They'll both be 8-8. Can anyone explain this to me?

Matthew Jones
12-29-2006, 09:07 AM
The Seahawks beat the Rams twice, they have the tiebreaker.

Jay
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
You know, I was thinking about this today, I am starting to see Safety as a bigger need than corner, because if we draft a Griffen/Landry/Nelson, we can move Eugene Wilson back to corner where he is less likely to get hurt. He may not be elite, but he'll be a nickel corner at worst, and would form a solid rotation...

EHobbs27
12-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Safety is not a bigger need then CB. Even if Asante stays, we need a lot of CB depth where as with S you have Wilson, Harrison, Sanders, and Hawkins. At CB we have Samuel and Hobbs who may be better suited as a nickel CB and we have Chad Scott who is old and Randall Cool who can't stay healthy.

Many Pats fans have brought up the idea of Wilson at CB, but I'm not sure Belichick will permanently make the switch. Come draft day I can see us taking a DB in round one, but my guess is it will be a CB or a tweener between a S/CB. I like James Sanders as our future at SS and Eugene at FS.

I hope a guy like Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis falls, but I certainly will settle for a guy like an Eric Weddle, Antoine Cason, or a Fred Bennett.

My new dream mock right now for the Pats looks like this:

1.) Levi Brown-LT-Penn St.
1.) David Harris-ILB-Michigan
2.) Johnnie Lee Higgins-WR-UTEP
3.) David Irons-CB-Auburn

or

1.) Darrelle Revis-CB-Pittsburgh
1.) Dwayne Bowe-WR-LSU
2.) Anthony Waters-ILB-Clemson
3.) Ryan Harris-LT-Notre Dame

Don Vito
12-29-2006, 02:51 PM
I would like one of these

1- Laron Landry, FS, LSU (I believe him or Nelson will fall)
1- Lamar Woodley, DE/OLB, Michigan (Many are giving him a rd. 2 grade)
2- Robert Meachum, WR, Tennessee
3- James Marten, OT, BC

OR

1- Darrell Revis, CB, Pitt
1- Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
2- David Harris, LB, Michigan
3- Aaron Rouse, SS, VT

Matthew Jones
12-29-2006, 09:28 PM
My new dream mock right now for the Pats looks like this:

1.) Levi Brown-LT-Penn St.
1.) David Harris-ILB-Michigan
2.) Johnnie Lee Higgins-WR-UTEP
3.) David Irons-CB-Auburn

What can I say, your dream mock is my nightmare. You're drafting all of those guys way too high, except Brown. Harris might be worth a first but should be left for us in the second, Higgins is probably a third or fourth rounder because he only fits into a couple of schemes (including ours) and Irons is overrated because he's Kenny's brother.

EHobbs27
12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
I think a lot will change come draft day. I feel Harris has done enough this year to warrant a first round pick. He is going to be dominant inside a 3-4 defense. Johnnie Lee Higgins is going to be a steal for a team. He is perfect in our system and I wouldn't be suprised if he isn't there for us after the combine where he will rank in the top 3 or 4 time wise in the 40. That is a legit reason for Irons being a bust. :D I watched him in many games this year including the game against South Carolina where he shut down Sidney Rice.

Jay
12-30-2006, 05:39 AM
The reason I say safety is a bigger priority than corner is because we can move Eugene Wilson back to corner. Besides that, most of the safetys have the ability to move up to corner, like Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffen and Brandon Merriweather. I think having Wilson at corner may be better for his body, then again, he may be a bad corner. I don't know, not of the corner's really jump out at me like the safetys...

EHobbs27
12-30-2006, 09:44 AM
I hear you. If Antoine Cason declares then I like the CB's a lot. Both positions are very strong in this years draft and I do believe we will get either a CB or a S in round one. For Safties I like Reggie Nelson the best, but he will be a borderline top 10 pick, I like Michael Griffin, but he isn't suited to move to CB like the other safties are. Brandon Meriweather is probably the best cover saftey, but he does have character questions. I like Eric Weddle a lot though because he can play CB or S.

For CB's I like Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis, but both look like they will be gone. I like Antoine Cason and Fred Bennett.

alca1992
12-30-2006, 01:11 PM
The reason I say safety is a bigger priority than corner is because we can move Eugene Wilson back to corner. Besides that, most of the safetys have the ability to move up to corner, like Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffen and Brandon Merriweather. I think having Wilson at corner may be better for his body, then again, he may be a bad corner. I don't know, not of the corner's really jump out at me like the safetys...

i agree :D

kennyb
12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Levi Brown is too slow to play LT, he'd be a definite DOWNGRADE from Light. So that would be pointless.

Harris is a good ILB but he's too slow and stiff in coverage, from what I've seen / heard. He's ranked about a 3rd/4th rounder. Don't think it would make sense to reach that badly.

I don't see WR as a huge need. There's no guarantee that drafted players are better than the ones we got. I think they're serviceable...especially if Jackson starts playing more.

CB is a huge need. Samuel probably leaves. Safety is a need too. Could use an ILB like Patrick Willis or Desmond Bishop or a DE/OLB like Anthony Spencer.

So many WRs are busts, I think it's a huge risk to take one high.

Matthew Jones
12-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure about Levi playing on the left, either. I don't think we would draft a rookie OT to guard Brady's blindside. Light has a huge deal and I'm not so sure we'd cut him with that much money to lose, but if we did, our new left tackle would most likely be a free agent pickup. Leonard Davis is the best free agent and there isn't much after him, so with that as the best option I think we might see Light back on the left in '07.

Another option could be to move Logan Mankins to LT, Matt Light to RT, and then find a new LG. Todd Steussie, maybe? I wouldn't really want Belichick to start switching around everyone's position on the line, though.

Matthew Jones
12-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Alright, I just got done with a mock offseason. The draft includes compensatory picks and is very weird, especially with how I addressed the WR position. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Re-signed Free Agents:

Eric Alexander LB
Tully Banta-Cain LB
Heath Evans FB
Larry Izzo LB
Corey Mays LB
Junior Seau LB
Mike Wright DL

Left As Free Agents:

Rashad Baker S
Wesley Britt OT
Troy Brown WR (Retired)
Don Davis LB (Retired)
Barry Gardner LB
Randall Gay CB
Daniel Graham TE
Patrick Pass FB
Asante Samuel CB
Gemara Williams CB
Billy Yates OG

Free Agents Signed:

Travis Taylor WR
Fred Wakefield TE
Antwan Peek DE
Terdell Sands DT
Orlando Huff LB

Draft Picks: *New England receives two fifth round compensatory picks for last year's free agency departures*

1. (f/SEA) Patrick Willis, ILB/Ole Miss
1. Daymeion Hughes, CB/California
2. Joe Staley, OT/Central Michigan
3. Adam Carriker, DE/Nebraska
4. Sabby Piscitelli, S/Oregon State
5. Pick traded to OAK for WR Doug Gabriel
5. (comp.) Daniel Sepulvea, P/Baylor
5. (comp.) Jay Moore, DE/Nebraska
6. Brandon Myles, WR/West Virginia
7. (f/CLE) Ryan Moore, WR/Miami (FL)
7. (f/ARI) Chris Davis, WR/Florida State
7. (f/PIT) Steve Breaston, WR/Michigan
7. Justin Holland, WR/Louisiana Tech

EHobbs27
12-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Harris is a good ILB but he's too slow and stiff in coverage, from what I've seen / heard. He's ranked about a 3rd/4th rounder. Don't think it would make sense to reach that badly.

Harris has played very well this past season and has definately caught the eyes of many scouts. He has perfect size for a 3-4 defense and I think he will test well at the combine. I definately think right now he is a borderline 1st rounder, but to say he is a 3rd or 4th rounder is just crazy right now.

I don't see WR as a huge need. There's no guarantee that drafted players are better than the ones we got. I think they're serviceable...especially if Jackson starts playing more.

WR NOT A HUGE NEED???? We have the worst WR core in the NFL. Reche has played decent, but come on now, he is nowhere close to being a #1 WR in this league. Who knows right now with Chad. I think he will only get better, but I also don't want to wait many more years with Brady in his prime. Troy will retire, and I don't know if Bam Childress or Kelvin Kight can get the job done. We need a WR badly and unless you guys want to settle for a Drew Bennett on FA, we should look to the draft for one. In the past few years there have been a decent amount of first round WR's that have played well.

CB is a huge need. Samuel probably leaves. Safety is a need too. Could use an ILB like Patrick Willis or Desmond Bishop or a DE/OLB like Anthony Spencer.

I agree CB is a need, but safety is not a need. Artell is 29, Eugene is young, and James Sanders is getting better and better as he gets more time. We will be fine at S.

As for your mock Raven, I like P-Willie, but I'm not liking the Daymeion Hughes pick. He is a good CB, but he is much better suited for a Cover-2 defense. Also if we are going to lose 2 of our bigger CB's (Cool and Samuel), I'm pretty sure we would draft at least 2 CB's.

Handel
12-31-2006, 01:21 PM

Would be great but I wonder if Carriker will not be selected in the first round or early in the second.

Poll
12-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Watching the game, I'm starting to like James Sanders more and more.

alca1992
12-31-2006, 01:38 PM
man this sucks ive only gotten to watch 5 patriot games all year. god i hate living in georgia

EHobbs27
12-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Watching the game, I'm starting to like James Sanders more and more.

I'm telling you, I believe James Sanders has cancelled out our first round need of S. He is our guy for the future.

I hope Rodney is okay.

EHobbs27
12-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Asante is going to make a lot of money come March.

Jay
12-31-2006, 07:26 PM
So what is the status on Rodney????

alca1992
12-31-2006, 10:06 PM
well at least were playing the jets instead of the broncos

tylaw24
01-01-2007, 12:26 AM

Sweet :D

AlexDown
01-01-2007, 12:35 AM

Pretty sure we just beat you at your house last time we played you. Could be wrong though.

tylaw24
01-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Alright, I just got done with a mock offseason. The draft includes compensatory picks and is very weird, especially with how I addressed the WR position. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Re-signed Free Agents:

Eric Alexander LB
Tully Banta-Cain LB
Heath Evans FB
Larry Izzo LB
Corey Mays LB
Junior Seau LB
Mike Wright DL

Left As Free Agents:

Rashad Baker S
Wesley Britt OT
Troy Brown WR (Retired)
Don Davis LB (Retired)
Barry Gardner LB
Randall cool CB
Daniel Graham TE
Patrick Pass FB
Asante Samuel CB
Gemara Williams CB
Billy Yates OG

Free Agents Signed:

Travis Taylor WR
Fred Wakefield TE
Antwan Peek DE
Terdell Sands DT
Orlando Huff LB

I think Belichick and Pioli will try and keep Billy Yates and/or Wesley Britt unless they plan to take a couple of OL in the draft.

Draft Picks: *New England receives two fifth round compensatory picks for last year's free agency departures*

4. Sabby Piscitelli, S/Oregon State
5. Pick traded to OAK for WR Doug Gabriel
5. (comp.) Daniel Sepulvea, P/Baylor
5. (comp.) Jay Moore, DE/Nebraska
6. Brandon Myles, WR/West Virginia
7. (f/CLE) Ryan Moore, WR/Miami (FL)
7. (f/ARI) Chris Davis, WR/Florida State
7. (f/PIT) Steve Breaston, WR/Michigan
7. Justin Holland, WR/Louisiana Tech

U sure they'll wanna use a 5th round pick on a Punter? I don't really think its a draft need seeing as we still have Sauerbrun. I like the thought of taking 4 WR's in the 7th. Gives us a greater chance at finding another David Givens :).

tylaw24
01-01-2007, 05:24 AM

Pretty sure we just beat you at your house last time we played you. Could be wrong though.

. . . . . . Pretty sure we rather beat you in the playoffs and not the Broncos, even though they deserved to be there. Could be wrong though.

Jay
01-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Pretty sure that we choked more than you won. Let's get real here, we gave away that game. Oh and we didn't lose any games by 41 points this year either. :lol:

01-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Now now lets play nice.....but i have to admit my ticket grew even more valuable to me when i found out it was to a playoff game against a DIVISION foe rather than Denver (Cutler would have been mangled by our defensive schemes anyways, all young QB's are)

tylaw24
01-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Not too drift too far from the jets/playoffs talk but did anyone watch the titans game? In particular the block Bobby Wade did on Harrison? I can't find any footage of the play. It put Rodney out for the rest of the game and could have potentially reignited his knee injury. I read that Bruschi got preety pissed off and charged at the titans bench. Apparently cause some players saw Jeff Fisher wink and smile toward the field after Harrison was injured.

01-01-2007, 09:55 AM
.....If that happens to be the last play Harrison does in a Pats uniform, I will tear off Wade's balls with my teeth......

EHobbs27
01-01-2007, 10:07 AM

I'm pretty sure we were missing probably our best DE THIS YEAR in Ty Warren as well. Well guess what we have Warren back. We also didn't have Rodney so if the injury isn't serious and he can play watch out.

You can't really judge it off a game in the season. This is playoffs where the PAts over the past 5 years have been one of the most dominant teams in the NFL. I just can't see the Jets making this much of a game.

tylaw24
01-01-2007, 10:43 AM
.....If that happens to be the last play Harrison does in a Pats uniform, I will tear off Wade's balls with my teeth......

Ouch! i'm not a huge supporter of attacking another mans balls, but if it is Harrison's last . . i'd say go ahead!

Jay
01-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Is anyone watching the Gator Bowl??? :shock:

There's still 8 minutes left and Calvin Johnson has over 180 yards and 2TD's. I don't even care, we need to pull a Mike Ditka and get this guy by any means necessary. This is THE GUY. :shock:

alca1992
01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Is anyone watching the Gator Bowl??? :shock:

There's still 8 minutes left and Calvin Johnson has over 180 yards and 2TD's. I don't even care, we need to pull a Mike Ditka and get this guy by any means necessary. This is THE GUY. :shock:

the real shocking thing is that Georgia tech is still in that game

EHobbs27
01-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Well with the new order it isn't impossible. If somehow Calvin falls to 5 then right now trading both of our 1sts and our 4th would equal us getting to the 5th pick. Arizona has the 5th pick and I'm sure with the 22nd and 28th pick they can add 2 key pieces to their team especially considering Joe Thomas will be gone.

1.) Oakland- Brady Quinn
2.) Detroit- Joe Thomas
3.) Cleveland- Alan Branch
4.) Tampa Bay- HOPEFULLY GAINES ADAMS
5.) Pats (f/Arizona)- Calvin Johnson

Ohh Please make this happen. PLEASE.

Jay
01-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I would settle for Lawrence Timmons and Sidney Rice in round one, otherwise...

RollingThunder
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I would settle for Lawrence Timmons and Sidney Rice in round one, otherwise...

Rice said he probably wont declare for the draft.

And isnt Timmons too small to be a 3-4 OLB? I say we take anthony spencer instead of him.

01-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Zbikowski(sp?)

The Safety outta Notre Dame.....definately not in round one but maybe in the 2nd-3rd he could be a possibility

either way were drafting for DT depth, Secondary Talent and Linebacker youth

As for wr's we should be set with Caldwell,Jackson,Kight and Childress

(please detect the sarcasm)^^

Jay
01-02-2007, 06:24 AM
DT is the least of my worries. We're set with Vince Wilfork and Mike Wright backing him up, we can fill any depth issues in free agency, but playing a 3-4, I am not that worried...

I wouldn't draft a single DT in this draft, not even with a throwaway compensation 7th rounder at the end.

Poll
01-02-2007, 07:44 AM
DT is the least of my worries. We're set with Vince Wilfork and Mike Wright backing him up, we can fill any depth issues in free agency, but playing a 3-4, I am not that worried...

I wouldn't draft a single DT in this draft, not even with a throwaway compensation 7th rounder at the end.

Wright is a good backup, and Smith should be given the time to adapt to two-gapping.

tylaw24
01-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Well with the new order it isn't impossible. If somehow Calvin falls to 5 then right now trading both of our 1sts and our 4th would equal us getting to the 5th pick. Arizona has the 5th pick and I'm sure with the 22nd and 28th pick they can add 2 key pieces to their team especially considering Joe Thomas will be gone.

1.) Oakland- Brady Quinn
2.) Detroit- Joe Thomas
3.) Cleveland- Alan Branch
4.) Tampa Bay- HOPEFULLY GAINES ADAMS
5.) Pats (f/Arizona)- Calvin Johnson

Ohh Please make this happen. PLEASE.

This scenario would be awesome, no doubt. Brady would go nuts if the front office gave him a true #1 WR to add to his arsenal. You can just tell that he wasn't at all happy when Deion went. People do talk a lot about "tradition" though when draft day comes around. And tradition tells us that Belichick doesn't take Wide Receivers in the first round let alone package and trade up.

However! all that tradition S*** goes out the window when you have 2 First rounders. The leverage that comes with that extra pick means they can make moves like yours EHobbs and still pick up some much needed depth/youth on "D".

tylaw24
01-02-2007, 09:52 AM

I agree 100%. If we were going to convert fully to a base 4-3 defence, then yes DT depth would instantly become a draft need. But until then, Mr. Wright and young Wilfork are all the DT we need.

tylaw24
01-02-2007, 11:13 AM
It’s Rodney’s knee again: Injury may cost safety the playoffs

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=174902

The preliminary diagnosis on Patriots safety Rodney Harrison is a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee. It is expected to sideline Harrison for Sunday’s playoff opener against the Jets and possibly the entire postseason.

James Sanders has big shoes to fill this week. This is nothing new to him though. He has been doing it all season and will show everyone what he's got on Sunday.

EHobbs27
01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Yep no doubt. Stinks about Rodney though. I have this gut feeling after 2 straight seasons of injuries that he may retire after this year.

About the trade up thing, I agree 100% tylaw24. The last draft we had 2 first rounders there were rumors flying around that the Pats were looking to move up to 5 to grab Sean Taylor. Then the year after that we actually did call Baltimore about a trade up for Mark Clayton, but Baltimore stayed there and grabbed him. Then this past year we did trade up.

Now that we have 2 first rounders which most likely will be 22 and 28 (hopefully 32 when we win the Super Bowl). I definately wouldn't leave it out of question. Yes we need some defensive help at LB and possibly CB, but if we trade both 1st rounders and a 4th we would equal the value of the 5th pick. That means we will still have 2nd and 3rd rounders to add defensive help to throw on top of that adding possibly the top rookie WR in decades. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

tylaw24
01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
You just have to watch him play. Hes a game changer and a playmaker. He would instantly become our #1 WR if Belichick and co. could work some magic and move into position to grab him. He has excellent body control and can make the tough catches. For those of you who haven't seen before, take a look at this http://youtube.com/watch?v=IOuHzq-cz3s .

01-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Yes, but with him being such an elite talent what makes you think he would even be there at the fifth...

Oakland #1- Could trade Moss for Schaub and take CJ to fill his shoes

Detroit #2- Well Millen is still employed so anything can happen

Cleavland #3- Jurevicius is getting old and the team's old WR is Braylon

Tampa Bay #4 - Clayton has done nothing in the last 2 years and Galloway is 35

Arizona #5 - They will lose their LT this season and will require someone who can actually block...the question is would they dare trade out of the 5 hole if Thomas is avaliable NO they would not....but Thomas most likely would'nt be here so your guess is as good as mine

tylaw24
01-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Yes, but with him being such an elite talent what makes you think he would even be there at the fifth...

Oakland #1- Could trade Moss for Schaub and take CJ to fill his shoes

Detroit #2- Well Millen is still employed so anything can happen

Cleavland #3- Jurevicius is getting old and the team's old WR is Braylon

Tampa Bay #4 - Clayton has done nothing in the last 2 years and Galloway is 35

Arizona #5 - They will lose their LT this season and will require someone who can actually block...the question is would they dare trade out of the 5 hole if Thomas is avaliable NO they would not....but Thomas most likely would'nt be here so your guess is as good as mine

I sorta don't get your reasoning for the Browns.

Poll
01-03-2007, 04:26 PM
What about Jarrett?

EHobbs27
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
If we had the chance to get Calvin then we do it. I'm not sure about DJ though. He definately has talent, but I wasn't very pleased with his on-field antics during the game. That is what makes guys like TO so not enjoyable. Just go play the game and let your game do the talking. That is what got Jerry Rice so successful.

I wouldn't mind Dwayne Bowe though. Watch out for him because I think he would be a great prospect.

RaiderNation
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
CJ is a raider no doubt because as u said we r trading moss for a qb. either for schaub or some1 else

u guys wouldnt want moss right? to many off and on field actics for u guys

tylaw24
01-04-2007, 02:16 AM
CJ is a raider no doubt because as u said we r trading moss for a qb. either for schaub or some1 else

u guys wouldnt want moss right? to many off and on field actics for u guys

Our number 1 and 2 WRs last season were Deion Branch and David Givens respectively. They've both since moved on and Belichick went out and in and effort to replace them picked up Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel (who he then released), and Jabar Gaffney. This group of players doesn't really inspire confidence and have been sufficient thus far.

Belichick is looking to the future and this is evident in the drafting of Chad Jackson in the second round last draft. Dan Graham is gone next season and Troy Brown (our current #1 or #2 . . . i can never tell) will most likely retire.

I think there is definitely room for Randy Moss on the Patriots. Belichick hasn't said that he would object to bringing in Moss but has passed on trading for him before. Over the past seasons, we have been regarded as a 'no name' team. Belichick and Pioli's methods would be questionable if not for the superbowl rings. They'll often let fan favorite players leave in order to stick to their strict plan and this does include passing on marquee names.

The argument could be made that the Pats are rarely in position to make major 1st round moves. I am optimistic though that this draft will be different from past drafts. The options are plenty and i'd only be speculating. I expect Jackson to be our #2 next season and i feel our #1 will be picked up next year whether that is by taking someone in the draft or by trading for a big name receiver such as Moss.

01-04-2007, 05:00 AM
what makes you think graham will leave?

tylaw24
01-04-2007, 06:15 AM
what makes you think graham will leave?

He's an unrestricted free agent and will get a lot of offers in the offseason. Plus we drafted David Thomas and Garrett Mills last year.

01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I have liked what i have seen from Thomas so far as a receiving aspect, but he is not even in the same league as graham is blocking wise....

And Mills has hardly been on the field and would not be able to handle the tough gritty jobs that graham does so well

everybody needs a blocking tight end what makes you think we'd let one as good as graham walk?

but youre right it all depends on the price

tylaw24
01-05-2007, 06:42 AM
I have liked what i have seen from Thomas so far as a receiving aspect, but he is not even in the same league as graham is blocking wise....

And Mills has hardly been on the field and would not be able to handle the tough gritty jobs that graham does so well

everybody needs a blocking tight end what makes you think we'd let one as good as graham walk?

but youre right it all depends on the price

Thomas was one of Vince Young's favorite targets in Texas and has shown a lot of promise in his limited game time. I do agree that his blocking skills aren't anywhere near that of Graham's but that could be a sign that the team is moving in a new direction Offence wise.

To tell you the truth, i haven't seen Garrett Mills play in the preseason so i have no real opinion on him. On draft day he was listed as a FB/TE but is considered a RB on the nfl.com stats page. The pats staff must have seen something in him though to warrant selecting him in the 4th round.

One other reason i don't see Graham coming back is because they had a chance to extended both Asante's and Graham's contracts a while back but didn't end up doing it. I like Dan Graham but he is patchy in that he will sometimes drop the simple passes, and for a former 1st round pick, it's hard to tell where he ranks among the games top 10 Tight Ends.

EHobbs27
01-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Right now the way I see it for the Pats is this:

1.) We resign Asante Samuel

2.) We resign Graham and a FA CB or LB.

I think it comes down to either or. I just have this feeling we won't sign both guys this offseason. While I hope that Samuel stays, I feel that it will be option B. I think that after Graham was named captain this season, I feel Belichick goes this route and signs a FA LB or CB.

Poll
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Right now the way I see it for the Pats is this:

1.) We resign Asante Samuel

2.) We resign Graham and a FA CB or LB.

I think it comes down to either or. I just have this feeling we won't sign both guys this offseason. While I hope that Samuel stays, I feel that it will be option B. I think that after Graham was named captain this season, I feel Belichick goes this route and signs a FA LB or CB.

We're better of giving Nate Clements a lot of money instead of Samuel.

EHobbs27
01-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't know about that. After this season, Samuel has established himself as a great #1 CB. Nothing against Clements, but Samuel is 2 years younger and is an interception machine. 10 picks in one year is very impressive in this era.

tylaw24
01-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Who of the current Patriots do you think will retire next season? If i were to guess, i'd say Troy Brown because he was basically retired last season before he got talked into coming back. Now that he has broken the franchise record for receptions, i think that he will hang up the cleats and call it a career. Does anyone think Rodney will retire?

alca1992
01-06-2007, 07:07 AM
we dont need grahm. ben watson is a very well TE and can start

alca1992
01-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Who of the current Patriots do you think will retire next season? If i were to guess, i'd say Troy Brown because he was basically retired last season before he got talked into coming back. Now that he has broken the franchise record for receptions, i think that he will hang up the cleats and call it a career. Does anyone think Rodney will retire?

i say he retires after the '07 season

EHobbs27
01-06-2007, 09:34 AM
we dont need grahm. ben watson is a very well TE and can start

Graham is one of the most important parts in our offense. He is the best blocking TE in the game and when we have a good running game he must be a part of it. There is no way Ben Watson or David Thomas has the blocking skills that Graham has.

I think that Troy definately retires after this year. As for Rodney, I think it depends on if we win the Super Bowl or not. I think if we win, Rodney will retire, but if we don't I think he gives it one more year.

Jay
01-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I know Rodney has said he wants to be a ref when he retires, but I see him as a definite Defensive Coordinator down the road, and maybe even a head coach. He's such a student of the game, and I just don't see him leaving the game all together.

That said, I don't think he will retire until he physically can't do it anymore. It almost feels like it is getting to that point, which is unfortunate, because if he didn't lose the better part of the last two years to injury, he'd still be one of the top three safeties in the league. This defense is a different defense with him on the field... which is exactly why he is my favorite Patriot EVER...

EHobbs27
01-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah good call. If I was a head coach I would take Rodney as my D-Coordinator anyday.

Yeah Rodney is by far my favorite person I have ever met. I had a long talk with him and he was just so cool. It was at the mall and he and Rosie Colvin showed up to sign auto's and there was no one there. The people said I could only get 1 thing autographed and I had a tough decision to make because it was either my Rodney picture that I bought or my jersey. He called me over and told me he didn't care for the people running it and said he would sign both things. I thought it was awesome. we had a long talk. It was a great time.

Jay
01-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I can't even believe that. I went to a signing he did with Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi and Corey Dillon at Rotmans in Worcester and the place was overflowing, and the organizers went late and had a ****** up line system which caused me to go towards the end, so where everyone in front got to actually talk to the guys and take pictures, I had to ******* rush through and barely got my helmet signed. Fortunately the guys all shook hands down the line. Rodney is by far my favorite player ever to wear a Patriots uniform. I'd love to shoot the **** with him.

tylaw24
01-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Yeah good call. If I was a head coach I would take Rodney as my D-Coordinator anyday.

Yeah Rodney is by far my favorite person I have ever met. I had a long talk with him and he was just so cool. It was at the mall and he and Rosie Colvin showed up to sign auto's and there was no one there. The people said I could only get 1 thing autographed and I had a tough decision to make because it was either my Rodney picture that I bought or my jersey. He called me over and told me he didn't care for the people running it and said he would sign both things. I thought it was awesome. we had a long talk. It was a great time.

Thats a cool story! I think he'd make a good D-coordinator too, at the very least a positional coach.

Don Vito
01-07-2007, 10:34 AM
romo sucks. We would have had the #20 pick if he could hold the f'n ball. Whatever, all that matters is the Jets game.

tylaw24
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
romo sucks. We would have had the #20 pick if he could hold the f'n ball. Whatever, all that matters is the Jets game.

Oh i know what u mean! every time i see him play he fumbles. I had no idea the seahawk's pick would be that low.

P.S DILLON TD! then banta-cain sack!

Don Vito
01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
San Diego next week, should be great. CBS interviewed Merriman at halftime of the Pats game and it seemed like he vastly underestimates NE. He said the Jets would win today and he said he will be doing the lights out dance a few times next week.

tylaw24
01-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Asante is hot stuff right now. I think we can pretty much accept that he isn't going to be here next season unless the pats open up their wallet a little more. I read this on the boston.com website:

"We've talked to them about a new contract," Samuel said. "What they offered isn't even worth discussing.

If he decides to go for the huge $'s elsewhere, CB should immediately become our #1 need on draft day.

Handel
01-08-2007, 03:35 AM
No way. He's not gone. Franchise tag.

alca1992
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
damn we have to face the chargers

tylaw24
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
damn we have to face the chargers

Yeah man, should be an awesome game. I really think Chad Jackson is gonna step it up against the chargers and make some great deep catches.

Also, does anyone think Rodney will be ready to go? he was able to walk off the field on his own and will have had 2 weeks to recuperate. I don't want him to rush it but we really need him for this game.

EHobbs27
01-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't think Rodney will be available for the game. This is going to be a BIG test for both Sanders and Hawkins as they will have to stick with Gates. Hopefully Hawkins doesn't cover the way he did on Cotcherys.

I think it is going to be the toughest test for the secondary this playoffs. Hobbs has shown that he can not handle the bigger WR's well and may have to stick with Vincent Jackson and I really think our safties may have trouble with Gates. Hopefully our D-line plays the way we did against the Jets.

I would love to see Chad have a game similar to Gaffney.

nvot9
01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
What are the chances you guys re-sign Asante Samuel? I mean he's perfect for you guys but when's the last time Belichek and Co. re-signed a big-name FA?

01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
We will beat San Diego if we are able to contain the outside pass rush (via Merriman and Phillips) that is the surefire key to our offensive success next weekend

And on defense it is obvious that we have to stuff LT, but we cannot take there passing game lightly or it will be Rivers to Gates all day

tylaw24
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't think Rodney will be available for the game. This is going to be a BIG test for both Sanders and Hawkins as they will have to stick with Gates. Hopefully Hawkins doesn't cover the way he did on Cotcherys.

I think it is going to be the toughest test for the secondary this playoffs. Hobbs has shown that he can not handle the bigger WR's well and may have to stick with Vincent Jackson and I really think our safties may have trouble with Gates. Hopefully our D-line plays the way we did against the Jets.

I would love to see Chad have a game similar to Gaffney.

The Chargers are going to watch the game film and see that Artrell Hawkins is one of the weaknesses of our defence. His speed is a concern to me because when he and Vrabel were chasing Cotchery, Hawkins had a good 5-10 yard head start but Vrabel almost out run him. Sanders almost made the stop at the 1 yard line but he had to come from the other side of the field. I have no doubt that Artrell can put the big hit on and his tackling is excellent, but i'm afraid they will attack him deep, especially with Gates.

Dean Pees definitely has a big job of game planning this week with LT, Antonio Gates and the deep threat of their receivers to worry about. Putting pressure on Phillip Rivers is crucial and the play of the trenches is what is going to win this game. If the D-line cant shut down the run, and rush Rivers, the pressure then gets put on our Safeties and this scares me.

tylaw24
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
What are the chances you guys re-sign Asante Samuel? I mean he's perfect for you guys but when's the last time Belichek and Co. re-signed a big-name FA?

I know what you are talking about nvot. Asante is having a spectacular season and this is continuing into the playoffs. Everyone is aware of the way Belichick and Pioli handle their business. The fact that they have left it this long to re-sign him is an early sign that he is just going to be another fan favorite castoff. I think the pats will try and sign him long term, or possibly use the franchise tag on him as Handle said before.

tylaw24
01-08-2007, 09:41 PM
We will beat San Diego if we are able to contain the outside pass rush (via Merriman and Phillips) that is the surefire key to our offensive success next weekend

And on defense it is obvious that we have to stuff LT, but we cannot take there passing game lightly or it will be Rivers to Gates all day

I agree that containing Merriman is one of our biggest concerns on offence. Brady will always have an eye on him, and will call the right protections to give him enough time to go through his progressions. I think they will try and keep the ball on the ground though. Our depth at running back is incredible when compared to the receiving group. A good rotation at RB will run the clock and control the game. This is another key to the success of the offence.

P-L
01-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Scott Pioli turned down an offer from the Giants.

sweetness34
01-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I think you've got a better shot then people are giving you at beating San Diego. Rivers hasn't been playing well lately and their secondary is inconsistent.

Contain LT (you are not going to stop this guy) and limit Merriman's impact with double teams and I think you win this game. In fact it's my upset pick for this weekend.

Brady is a stud in the playoffs and I really think you guys can run the ball on their defense.

Good luck this weekend, I'll be pulling for you (I hate Marty with a passion).

bergo23
01-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Its going to be a heavyweight fight!!! I hope Cromartie comes up big against Brady and company, he hasn't picked any balls off yet........he will get chances to jump short routes, they will go alot to the short passing game knowing our rush will get to them. Florence has dropped enough picks he could have as many as Samuel (who scares me against Rivers).

I am worried about you guys stuffing LT, those 3 hogs you have in the 3-4 are SCARY: Ty Warren is underated.......and Wilfork may be the best NT not named Jamal Williams in the league!!! Everybody knows about Seymour.

I see Belichick putting it into the hands of Rivers to beat you guys, it will be interesting to see if he is up to the challenge.......he has had his struggles in the last 6 weeks.........but also come up big at the right times, and there will be opportunities against your secondary.......just like Brady will get his chances against ours.

Should be a great game, and if you guys beat us....I want you to stomp Peyton Manning or the Ravens.........both of those entities are too hyped, and need a humbling........I am confident either you guys or the #1 seed in the AFC will get it done!

Don Vito
01-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Its going to be a heavyweight fight!!! I hope Cromartie comes up big against Brady and company, he hasn't picked any balls off yet........he will get chances to jump short routes, they will go alot to the short passing game knowing our rush will get to them. Florence has dropped enough picks he could have as many as Samuel (who scares me against Rivers).

I am worried about you guys stuffing LT, those 3 hogs you have in the 3-4 are SCARY: Ty Warren is underated.......and Wilfork may be the best NT not named Jamal Williams in the league!!! Everybody knows about Seymour.

I see Belichick putting it into the hands of Rivers to beat you guys, it will be interesting to see if he is up to the challenge.......he has had his struggles in the last 6 weeks.........but also come up big at the right times, and there will be opportunities against your secondary.......just like Brady will get his chances against ours.

Should be a great game, and if you guys beat us....I want you to stomp Peyton Manning or the Ravens.........both of those entities are too hyped, and need a humbling........I am confident either you guys or the #1 seed in the AFC will get it done!

Agreed. We are gonna see two of the best DLs in the NFL, 3 or 4 man. Olshansky-Williams-Castilo and Seymour-Wilfork-Warren are the 2 best and youngest DLs in the NFL.

I think Cromartie will have a big game, he will make at least one big play, whether on kick return or defense.

Should be a good game, hopefully LT doesn't run loose. If we can rattle Rivers early we could come away with a W.

01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
[/quote]I agree that containing Merriman is one of our biggest concerns on offence. Brady will always have an eye on him, and will call the right protections to give him enough time to go through his progressions. I think they will try and keep the ball on the ground though. Our depth at running back is incredible when compared to the receiving group. A good rotation at RB will run the clock and control the game. This is another key to the success of the offence.[/quote]

We cannot keep an extra blocker on Merriman during all his pass rushers mainly because Shaun Phillips is such a good pass rusher from the right side.....he had 11.5 sacks if i am correct

01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
A few leftovers from Sunday's victory over the Jets: Tight end Daniel Graham played more offensive snaps than any other skill-position player (non-quarterbacks), remaining on the field for 87.5 percent of the snaps . . . At running back, rookie Laurence Maroney handled the bulk of the second-half snaps, with 16, as Corey Dillon (5) and Kevin Faulk (5) split the remaining snaps in the final 30 minutes . . . The Patriots had three receivers on the field for 14 of their first 15 offensive snaps, then called on that positional grouping only twice the rest of the game.

Graham is not going to be allowed to walk away, he IS our best TE

alca1992
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
kinda off topic but where did you guys get your PATRIOT sigs

01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Oh my god its alca....

alca1992
01-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh my god its alca....

:? what does that mean

alca1992
01-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh my god its alca....

:? what does that mean

:? i still dont know

ElectricEye
01-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Oh my god its alca....Are you refering to Rodney Harrison's partially torn ACL? If so, theres good news on that.
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=176694
Oh...and hi by the way. I'm new to this forum. I've posted in the draft forums a few times, but never in this thread. Anyway, I'm a huge Patriots fan, and I look forward to talking some football with you all.

alca1992
01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh my god its alca....Are you refering to Rodney Harrison's partially torn ACL? If so, theres good news on that.
Oh...and hi by the way. I'm new to this forum. I've posted in the draft forums a few times, but never in this thread. Anyway, I'm a huge Patriots fan, and I look forward to talking some football with you all.

well welocme

tylaw24
01-12-2007, 09:01 PM

yes, welcome electric. I think you'll find that there are a large number of patriots fans on this board, but they rarely post in the team discussion area. Plus it doesn't help that the pats dont make any major offseason moves so this thread usually can go inactive for a while.

01-13-2007, 12:38 AM
So lets go back to the graham discussion....

Poll
01-13-2007, 05:53 AM

yes, welcome electric. I think you'll find that there are a large number of patriots fans on this board, but they rarely post in the team discussion area. Plus it doesn't help that the pats dont make any major offseason moves so this thread usually can go inactive for a while.

Patriots fans don't to have worry about the offseason that early as well.

Don Vito
01-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Welcome, Electric.

Harrison is too much of a liability to have him penciled in as a solid starter next season. We should get a SS round 1 as there are 3 quality prospects at that position (Landry, Nelson, and Griffin). This year is our best shot at getting a quality replacement for Rodney.

alca1992
01-13-2007, 01:20 PM

we can once you tell me what you meant ive stayed up for 2 nights trying to figure out what you meant

:? and i still dont know

tylaw24
01-13-2007, 02:50 PM

we can once you tell me what you meant ive stayed up for 2 nights trying to figure out what you meant

LOL!

alca1992
01-13-2007, 06:53 PM

LOL!

:? Why are you laughing so hard are you in on it

alca1992
01-13-2007, 10:39 PM
ok guys ive been doing 2 trades that are in negoation

Cardnials Get:
Asante Samual

Pats Get:
Eric green
#69 overall

Bucs get:
Pats 2nd
Pats 3rd

Pats get:
Bucs 3rd
Philip Buchanon

what do you guys think of the trades

01-13-2007, 11:27 PM
I assume you mean we are franchising Samuel and then trading him....but I do not like that trade

And Phillip Buchannon was a free agent for half the year, if the Pats wanted him they could have had him

and why would anyone give away 2 firsts a second and a third round pick....thats the stupidest idea ive ever heard considering thats basically throwing away 4 possible starters for one

sorry for being hostile about that alca.....its just my point of view

alca1992
01-13-2007, 11:30 PM
I assume you mean we are franchising Samuel and then trading him....but I do not like that trade

And Phillip Buchannon was a free agent for half the year, if the Pats wanted him they could have had him

and why would anyone give away 2 firsts a second and a third round pick....thats the stupidest idea ive ever heard considering thats basically throwing away 4 possible starters for one

sorry for being hostile about that alca.....its just my point of view

its aight

alca1992
01-13-2007, 11:32 PM
ok so just so you know in this fourum mock all FA are "resigned"

and heres another trade i did

Pats Get:
Greg Ellis
Jason Fabini

Cowboys Get:
Matt Light

alca1992
01-14-2007, 12:08 AM
do you like this trade

Jerry porter for #68 overall

please tell me you like that trade

01-14-2007, 02:04 AM
for the first one....

Greg Ellis is old and we dont need an OLB since the emergence of Tully....and he is exactly what Ellis is a pass rusher

and Fabini is nothing more than a backup tackle AT BEST

for the second...

Jerry Porter is going to be a FA and he would not re-sign with the Raidaz

And I have another question for you....

Do you determine the value of players by turning on your video game system and looking at their Madden ratings or something??

tylaw24
01-14-2007, 02:40 AM

LOL!

:? Why are you laughing so hard are you in on it

Lol nah. I found your reaction to 255979119's comment funny. And the fact that he still hasn't answered yet adds to it. I'm not "in on it" as i don't know what "it" is. Prolly some random comment to keep the thread alive.

tylaw24
01-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Going back to the Asante issue, I found this on the patriots.com website:

You've won two Super Bowls as a Patriot and are in the playoffs again this year after recording 10 interceptions. Does it get better than this?

I love it here. This is the place I was basically born into. I was born into being a Patriot. I love the guys in the locker room and the camaraderie we have here. I've learned a lot here. I'm a guy that loves to play football for this team, loves to make plays... thrives on making plays.

It sorta makes you think that he might take a little less to stay with the Patriots. It's too hard to tell really.

Don Vito
01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Going back to the Asante issue, I found this on the patriots.com website:

You've won two Super Bowls as a Patriot and are in the playoffs again this year after recording 10 interceptions. Does it get better than this?

I love it here. This is the place I was basically born into. I was born into being a Patriot. I love the guys in the locker room and the camaraderie we have here. I've learned a lot here. I'm a guy that loves to play football for this team, loves to make plays... thrives on making plays.

It sorta makes you think that he might take a little less to stay with the Patriots. It's too hard to tell really.

Asante is staying, everyone is just assuming he wants to leave. He will be back in 2007.

alca1992
01-14-2007, 11:26 AM
for the first one....

Greg Ellis is old and we dont need an OLB since the emergence of Tully....and he is exactly what Ellis is a pass rusher

for the second...

Do you determine the value of players by turning on your video game system and looking at their Madden ratings or something??

no were playing the fourum mock here at NFLDC we control a team and we trade players and like i said all players are considerd resigned

Jango
01-14-2007, 11:52 AM
for the first one....

for the second...

no were playing the fourum mock here at NFLDC we control a team and we trade players and like i said all players are considerd resigned

Dude, he gets what you are talking about. He just said that did you determine the value of each person in the trade by their stats on Madden.

alca1992
01-14-2007, 03:33 PM
well seattle lost good news for us

Jay
01-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Does Chad Jackson play for this team? Just checking...

sweetness34
01-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Go Pats! :D

alca1992
01-14-2007, 07:18 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

sweetness34
01-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Wow, just wow. I'm happy you guys won, but how did you guys win? :lol:

Anywho, I'm not complaining. Let the cream of the AFC fall! :D

NIN1984
01-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Thank you :D

Tom Brady is a football God

tylaw24
01-14-2007, 07:45 PM

YAY! so what # pick do we get then? 23?

sweetness34
01-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Who cares about where you're picking. You are in the AFC Championship game.

alca1992
01-14-2007, 08:09 PM

yea FFUckkk the pick were facing the colts

01-14-2007, 08:28 PM
.....what are you talking about alca

Jay
01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah so before someone calls me on it... yes. Kevin Faulk had an... OK game. THAT'S THE BEST YOU ARE GOING TO GET FROM ME! :shock:

01-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Let me guess your one of the many mad at faulk for having 2 passes deflected off his hands for picks vs indy

Jughead10
01-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Kevin Faulk is a great player. I want a versatile back like him on the Giants next year. He is a jack of all trades master of none. Can do it all. Weis said last year that as a sophmore Darius Walker could contribute in the same role Faulk get on an NFL team as a sophmore. Even said he could do it better. I'll take his word for it which is why I hope we draft him. A better version of Faulk would be huge.

Jay
01-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Let me guess your one of the many mad at faulk for having 2 passes deflected off his hands for picks vs indy

Amongst other things. :lol:

sdpads24
01-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Good win you guys, tough one to swallow for us chargers fans but you beat us. I hope you guys go all the way so at least we lost to the best.

Jimmy
01-14-2007, 09:57 PM
doesnt this just get a little repetative for you?

no?

Don Vito
01-14-2007, 10:46 PM
doesnt this just get a little repetative for you?

no?

It never gets old.

As for our receivers, Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gafney have looked like legit NFL starters in the past few games, even with Brady being a little off. Chad Jackson did not get in for 1 play today, and we hardly used our TE's (especially Watson).

We have the #24 pick too I believe with the Seattle loss, which is more good news.

01-14-2007, 11:02 PM
And hopefully number 32

tylaw24
01-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Dude I care. Its a draft website and we have two picks in the first round. Its been a while since this has happened. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy that we are going into Indy to play for the Superbowl, but I am mindful of the future as well.

01-14-2007, 11:13 PM
...it happened 3 years ago

(Vinnie and Benjamin)

That draft really did wonders for us

cowboysforever
01-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Did Merriman juice up in the locker room today during his "injury?"

01-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Well it was probably just a B-12 shot

cowboysforever
01-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Well it was probably just a B-12 shot

ROTFLMAO. No HGH?

01-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Naw Merriman likes the old fashioned roids injections in the bum

tylaw24
01-15-2007, 12:13 AM
...it happened 3 years ago

(Vinnie and Benjamin)

That draft really did wonders for us

Yeah man that's what i meant by a while. That draft produced 2 starters in the 1st round . . the rest was average.

01-15-2007, 12:26 AM
i thought you meant by having 2 first rounders...either way by seeing Asante today the pats better coff up as much money as he wants :P

ElectricEye
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Great win today. Tom Brady still has some magic in those shoulder pads of his. It still amazes me, despite the fact I've seen almost all his games, when he pulls something off like that. Dropped that pass perfectly to Caldwell. Gaffney was solid as well.
Indianapolis..If Manning plays the way he has been playing this postseason, we should win. But I'm worried in a way, since he's due for a good game with his recent struggles.

tylaw24
01-15-2007, 07:49 AM
No one has mentioned the matchup between Adam V and the Patriots yet. It should be a main talking point amongst all of the journalists in the lead up to the game. It'll probably get annoying after a while too.

The Colts D has been getting a lot of punishment from the media and I think it's giving them some motivation. In that case . . The Colts D is f#kn awesome! :D spread the word.

cowboysforever
01-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Great win today. Tom Brady still has some magic in those shoulder pads of his. It still amazes me, despite the fact I've seen almost all his games, when he pulls something off like that. Dropped that pass perfectly to Caldwell. Gaffney was solid as well.
Indianapolis..If Manning plays the way he has been playing this postseason, we should win. But I'm worried in a way, since he's due for a good game with his recent struggles.

Tom Brady magic? He could have thrown 6 INT yesterday.

How about Troy Brown magic?

Hey now!!!!!!!!!

01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Brady got it done when he needed to the most

ElectricEye
01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Brady got it done when he needed to the mostExaclty what I was refering too. Somehow, it all seems to work out for Brady in the end.

01-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Exactly, just look at his fingers.

:D

Philliez01
01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Well the big game is 6 days away and I just want to wish you guys good luck and hope to see a great game from your team as well as mine.

alca1992
01-15-2007, 01:56 PM

what?

bingbing
01-15-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd love to have a guy like Reggie Nelson too. But he probably won't fall. I'm hoping for jeff samardjiza. He is a short pass reciever that is also good at the deep ball. He would fit in just fine because of Charlie Weis. I'm also hoping that we might get Paul Posluszny. He might be a good young linebacker to help our core.
What do u guys think?

bingbing
01-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Guys i know this is a noob question, but it is because i'm a noob. SO i was wondering how do u guys get pictures in your thing like your asante samuel one.asantesamuelpu1

Matthew Jones
01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Guys i know this is a noob question, but it is because i'm a noob. SO i was wondering how do u guys get pictures in your thing like your asante samuel one.asantesamuelpu1

You do that thing with the [img] tags, but with a URL instead of a file name.

Matthew Jones
01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd love to have a guy like Reggie Nelson too. But he probably won't fall. I'm hoping for jeff samardjiza. He is a short pass reciever that is also good at the deep ball. He would fit in just fine because of Charlie Weis. I'm also hoping that we might get Paul Posluszny. He might be a good young linebacker to help our core.
What do u guys think?

Reggie Nelson would be nice, but he won't be left when we pick. The Shark isn't really a good pick for us. We don't really have a lot of wide receiver height, but I wouldn't draft a player that wasn't committed to the game. Paul Posluszny would be a good pick at inside linebacker, but I am not really sure he'll be left either, and besides, I don't think Bill Belichick really trusts young linebackers. Right now I suppose I am hoping for something like Eric Weddle and Jarvis Moss in the first round.

bingbing
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
ya your probably right about the Nelson and Paul pick. But i'm hoping Jeff will commit to football and i love him and i hope we pick him. He might fit good in our system. He has hands.

What reciever do u think we should draft then?

Jay
01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I am 100% on board the Sidney Rice bandwagon. A dream first round would be him and one of either Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffen or Patrick Willis...

Handel
01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Not sure anymore about drafting a safety in first round, except if great value is there.

Handel
01-15-2007, 06:00 PM
What do u guys think?

We don't really have a lot of wide receiver height,

Not really true.

Reche Caldwell 6'0"
Jabar Gaffney 6'1"
Chad Jackson 6'1"

Ok, they are not giants but not short either.

Jay
01-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Oh I agree, if Landry, Nelson or Griffen is there, it is a no-brainer, but otherwise, it can wait. James Sanders was in on a lot of plays in that last game, and Eugene Wilson will get healthy. I would like to see some rotations in an effort to get Rodney through a whole season, though...

Tully Banta Cain has really come on lately too. LB might not even be as huge of a need now. I mean, we could definitely use some youth, but at the same time, Tedy, Vrabel, Tully, Rosie, Seau and Izzo are a solid LB corp, we could sign someone like Donnie Edwards and have some good rotations there as well. Maybe that means corner is the way to go, although if we resign Asante, Ellis Hobbs keeps improving, Randall G ay still exists, we could sign a FA or two and be servicable there too.

That's it, we need to take Sidney Rice AND Robert Meachem, round one. :lol:

Am I the only one growing to be more and more frustrated every week with the play of Ben Watson? I know I've mentioned it before, but this guy drops balls way too much...

01-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Let us unite the Caldwells and draft Chad in the later rounds :D

ElectricEye
01-16-2007, 04:26 AM
I am 100% on board the Sidney Rice bandwagon. A dream first round would be him and one of either Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffen or Patrick Willis...I'm with you there. Sidney Rice would look reaaal good in a blue and silver uniform.

ElectricEye
01-16-2007, 08:05 AM
So the new mock has us taking Bowe over Rice.
I'm a huge fan of Bowe, but I'm a bigger fan of Rice.

alca1992
01-16-2007, 10:42 AM

what?

why do youy say random **** and dont say why

bingbing
01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Where do you think Jeff Samardzija where fall in the 2nd round. Do you think he will fall to the Patriots.?

I hope so i love him. I want him in the first round but i guess thats not going to happen after seeing the lastest mick draft by Scott Wright.

alca1992
01-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Where do you think Jeff Samardzija where fall in the 2nd round. Do you think he will fall to the Patriots.?

I hope so i love him. I want him in the first round but i guess thats not going to happen after seeing the lastest mick draft by Scott Wright.

first of all i dont think he will fall to the 2nd and if he does there is no chance he would fall to us

ElectricEye
01-16-2007, 11:49 AM

I hope so i love him. I want him in the first round but i guess thats not going to happen after seeing the lastest mick draft by Scott Wright.He very well could be there for us in the second. The thing is, he's a fantastic baseball player. He was drafted 149th overall, in the 5th round of the baseball draft. And in a 50 round, 1500 player draft, thats within the 10th percentile, which in NFL terms equates to being drafted 22nd. And he would have gone higher in the baseball draft if not for his football commitements. If Jeff commits to football, no way he'll make it out of the first...or the top of the second. If he trys to play baseball and football, he might be there when we pick in the 3rd because of the physical stress associated with being a starting pitcher.

EHobbs27
01-16-2007, 01:11 PM
SAY NO TO SAMARDZIJA. The guy blows and he would be terrible on the Pats.

I think WR is still a need, but as for first round I'm not sure. Brady has a nice connection going with Gaffney who is playing great, Caldwell had a good year, and Chad Jackson will only get better. We need depth, but I would love to see us add some more defense in round one this year. I like Rice a lot as well, but I highly doubt Belichick goes after another raw WR. I wouldn't complain about drafting him though. Outside of Calvin, Rice is my favorite WR.

bingbing
01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
ALright guys, i have a question that i kind of want to happen. -Do you think that the patriots might trade one of their 1st,2nd, and 5th round pick for a top 15 pick?

Is that a posablity?

Do you think we could trade up for a top 10?

ElectricEye
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
SAY NO TO SAMARDZIJA. The guy blows and he would be terrible on the Pats.

Whats wrong with his game? 4.57ish 40 speed, good pad speed, vision, runs clean routes, and he has great hands. Add in the fact he's 6'5 and knows our offense, and you have a perfect fit.
But still, the baseball thing makes me not want to touch him.
="FenwayFaithful"]
ALright guys, i have a question that i kind of want to happen. -Do you think that the patriots might trade one of their 1st,2nd, and 5th round pick for a top 15 pick?

Is that a posablity?

No way in hell. It would be stupid. Why trade away 3 picks for a top 10 pick when your in a playoff hunt and don't have any glarring needs, especially in a very talented draft.

EHobbs27
01-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Whats wrong with his game? 4.57ish 40 speed, good pad speed, vision, runs clean routes, and he has great hands. Add in the fact he's 6'5 and knows our offense, and you have a perfect fit.
But still, the baseball thing makes me not want to touch him.

Exactly that. We thrive on guys who are smaller WR's and have better speed then 4.57.

I say no to a trade up at this point. If we don't have many needs to worry about in the offseason, then I would consider moving up to get the best player possible at the position we have a need at, but right now I want to stay where we are and add 2 good prospects.

ElectricEye
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I would not call what we have been doing with our receivers as if late as thriving. Plus the big thing with those small guys is their ability to cut and get upfield. Watch Notre Dame's game against UCLA. Thats what Jeff is good at. He's also great on WR screens, and that fits right into our gameplan...even though screens have fell out of favor this year.
Besides, Gaffney ran a 4.56, Caldwell ran a 4.53, Brown was about a 4.5(Quickness is his game though). So Jeff is just as fast straightline wise as any of those guys. And the he is atleast 5 inches taller than all those guys. But he's not a straightline speed guy anyway. Jeff being slow is a giant misconception. He doesnt run a 4.3, but most good receivers don't. Look at Chad Jackson. Top notch straightline speed, but he's not a good route runner.

alca1992
01-16-2007, 03:33 PM

Is that a posablity?

i hope i dont sound rude but why do you keep underlining things